Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2034 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1834
 
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 15, 2017
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse
Von hier aus beobachtete Adalbert Stifter am 8. Juli 1842 die einzige im Wien der Neuzeit eingetretene totale Sonnenfinsternis Errichtet 1994 auf Initiative des Jugendclubs "Dingi-Vindemiatrix" . . . — Map (db m107154) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Adolf Frankl
[Bottom panel:] The artist Adolf Frankl 1903 Bratislava - 1983 Vienna lived and worked in this house. Here, he created the cycle of paintings and drawings Visions from the Inferno depicting his . . . — Map (db m108582) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Der Wiener Feuerwehr / The Vienna Fire Department
Vor 300 Jahren wurde das Wienerunterkammeramt an dieser Stelle verlegt. Der Stadtunterkämmerer überwachte auch das Feuerlöschwesen. Seither befindet sich die Zentrale der Wiener Feuerwehr an diesem Platz. . . . — Map (db m108592) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Die "Grosse Strasse" / The "Great Road"
Die drei Granitplatten stammen von der "Grossen Strasse" des nationalsozialistischen Reischsparteitagsgeländes in Nürnberg Sie wurden von Zwangsarbeitern und Gefangenen in Konzentrationslagern bearbeitet und sind . . . — Map (db m108839) HM WM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Dr. Otto Willmann
In diesem Haus wohnte und wirkte von 1868-1872 als Lehrer am Wiener Pädagogium Universitätsprofessor Dr. Otto Willmann Geb. 24. April 1839 zu Lissa - Posen Gest. 1 Juli 1920 in Leitmeritz - Böhmen . . . — Map (db m108832) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Feng Shan Ho1901-1997
Von diesem Gebäude aus rettete Dr. Feng Shan Ho, Chinas Generalkonsul zu Wien, in den Jahren 1938 und 1939 nach dem Anschluss und der sogenannten Reichskristallnacht tausende Juden. Sich den Befehlen seiner Vorgesetzten widersetzend . . . — Map (db m108805) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Grillparzer1791-1872
War Stammgast im Wirtshaus zum Matschakerhof [English translation:] Was a frequent guest at the Matschakerhof Hotel. — Map (db m108564) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Henry Dunant and the Red Cross1828 - 1910
In der Schlacht bei Solferino besann sich das Weltgewissen zur Pflicht des Erbarmens Henry Durant der unsterbliche Samariter schuf das Rote Kreuz Hier stand das alte Kriegsministerium [English . . . — Map (db m108584) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ludwig Hevesi1843-1910
Der aus Ungarn stammende Kunst- und Theaterkritiker sowie Feuilletonist des Fremdenblattes und des Pester Lloyd wohnte zwischen 1875 und 1910 in diesem Haus. Er war einer der einflussreichsten Verfechter und Chronist . . . — Map (db m108512) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Moritz Perles
In diesem Haus befand sich bis März 1938 die Verlagsbuchhandlung Moritz Perles Im Gedenken an alle jüdischen Buchhändler und Verleger Wiens, deren Leben und Existenz nach dem "Anschluss" Österreichs vernichtet wurde, . . . — Map (db m108562) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Moritz von Schwind
In diesem Hause wurde Moriz von Schwind am 21. Jänner 1804 geboren dem Andenken des berühmten Malers die Gemeinde Wien [English translation:] In this house Moritz von Schwind was born, on . . . — Map (db m108196) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Palais Erzherzog Ludwig Viktor / Palace of Archduke Ludwig Viktor
erbaut 1863-1869 von Heinrich Freiherr von Ferstel für den jüngsten Bruder Kaiser Franz Josefs 1911-1938 Militärcasino der Garnison Wien built 1863-1869 by Heinrich Freiherr von Ferstel for the youngest brother of . . . — Map (db m108841) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Peter Altenberg
In diesem Hotel wohnte Peter Altenberg in den Jahren von 1913 bis 1919 ————————— Franz Kafka und Max Brod stiegen hier mehrere male ab Österreichische . . . — Map (db m108429) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Professor Friedrich Hacker
In diesem Haus wurde am 19. Januar 1914 der Psychiater Univ. Professor Dr. Friedrich Hacker geboren Er lebte hier bis 1937, emigrierte in die USA und wurde als autor, Terror- und Agressionsforscher international bekannt. . . . — Map (db m108835) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Türkenkugel / The Turkish Ball
Aus dem Jahr 1683 - später eingemauert und vergoldet - gab der einst hier befindlichen Gastwirtschaft und dem Haus den Namen. [English translation:] From the year 1683 - later gilded and mounted to . . . — Map (db m108594) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — North Rock Beacon1960
1960 The North Rock is an isolated outcrop marking the outer edge of the reefs of Bermuda. Since the wreck of the BONAVENTURE in 1593 it has been the graveyard of many ships. In 1912 a beacon was erected on North Rock as a warning to navigators and . . . — Map (db m107322) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — The Broad Arrow
The Broad Arrow, or "crow's foot", is the traditional symbol of British military property and is found throughout Bermuda on milestones and boundary stones, several fine examples of which are on display at the Maritime Museum. The Broad Arrow is . . . — Map (db m107319) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — The Great Western StorehouseCompleted in 1857
Built in conjunction with the Great Eastern Storehouse, this warehouse contained the offices of the Chief Engineer of the Dockyard. The weighbridge for the Yard can still be seen at the northern end of the building. The roof catchment, like those of . . . — Map (db m107317) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — Victualling YardCompleted 1853
A Victualling Yard is an essential part of any naval facility. It is the area concerned with the storage, preparation and packaging of food and drink for the Fleet. The Victualling Yard in Bermuda is surrounded by a wall with only two gated . . . — Map (db m107315) HM
Alberta, Banff — John Murray Gibbon1875-1952
Born in Ceylon and educated in Scotland and Germany, Gibbon studied painting before turning to journalism. As publicity agent for the Canadian Pacific Railway from 1913 to 1945 he combined advertising with the promotion of a Canadian identity, . . . — Map (db m108632) HM
Alberta, Banff — The Cave and Basin
The Cave and Basin Springs were brought to public attention after being located by CPR construction workers in 1883. These and the Upper Hot Springs soon drew private entrepreneurs and tourists. Growing support for public ownership prompted the . . . — Map (db m108877) HM
Alberta, Castle Junction — Castle CampInternment in Banff National Park
End of the Road On the night of July 14, 1915 sixty prisoners were marshalled off a Canadian Pacific train just west of here and escorted to a barbed wire compound at the end of the unfinished Banff–Laggan (now Lake Louise) road. . . . — Map (db m109003) HM
Alberta, Jasper — Arthur Oliver Wheeler(1860-1945)
A preeminent topographical surveyor, Wheeler represented British Columbia on the commission which located and marked the boundary with Alberta between 1913 and 1925. His party surveyed and mapped the 1000 km-long mountain section, using photographs . . . — Map (db m108876) HM
Alberta, Jasper — Gateway to a Community and a Park
Strolling down the aisle, a conductor announces your destination. With steely squeals and a pish-sh-sh-sh of pent up steam, the locomotive glides to a halt. Descending the coach's stairs you step through the mist and arrive at Jasper . . . — Map (db m108634) HM
British Columbia, Rogers Pass — Glacier House
A ninety room hotel complete with bowling alley and observation tower once stood in this quiet clearing!

Operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway from 1887 to 1925, it was used as a base by mountaineers, adventurers and sightseers from all over . . . — Map (db m108665) HM

New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Stephen — A whale of a tale / Historie de cétacé

In the waters off New Brunswick you'll find magnificent creatures of the deep - among them, North Atlantic right whales, humpback whales and finback whales

In New Brunswick, we're proud to live along the beautiful shores of the Bay of . . . — Map (db m106917) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Amherst — Dominion Public Building1935 — Registered Heritage Property

[title is text] — Map (db m107024) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Trans Canada Highway

Formal opening of the Nova Scotia portion of the Trans Canada Highway from the New Brunswick border to terminals at Caribou and North Sydney, a distance of 279 miles, took place November 22, 1968, at this point; having been constructed as a . . . — Map (db m106956) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — Site of One of the First Irving Service Stations

On this site in 1930, K. C. Irving built one of the first Irving service stations. We are proud to donate this land to assist in the development of Peace Park, built for the enjoyment of the citizens of Sussex and their visitors.

Thank you . . . — Map (db m106903) HM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives for freedom and Canada

[Dedicated] 2nd August 1970 — Map (db m106906) WM

New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — War Memorial

1914 ~ 1918 [Honored Dead]

John Andrews • John Bloomfield • Allen Bremner Leonard Bunnell • George Bunnell • Harry Carr George Calhoun • Frederick W. Crawford • George Chapman Guy Chapman • Thomas DeCoursey • John Dawson . . . — Map (db m106908) WM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Balmoral Grist Mill

[1.] Water turbines the power that ran the mill

This illustration shows one type of setup for a turbine driven gristmill.

Illustration from "the Red Mill Reborn". Used with permission of 'Lou Robertella, . . . — Map (db m108181) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Local Granite Stone

You can see where some of the rock has been removed to make a millstone

Located at Kennedy Hill, Central New Annan Donated by Mr. William Woodlock — Map (db m108169) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Sutherland Sawmill Turbine

This turbine came from a sawmill located a few hundred yards upstream of our mill

The saw mill was built ca 1886 by brothers James and Alexander Sutherland. Another brother Robert, built a blacksmith shop on the same property. The . . . — Map (db m108182) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Turbines: From Direct to Indirect Power Production

Turbines began to become commonplace in the mid-1800's and had virtually replaced vertical waterwheels by the mid 1860's.

Below are a number of illustrations showing typical mill setups and power transfer.

In 1881 the Schoellkopf Power . . . — Map (db m108183) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Brule Corner — Duncan MacLanders and Johanne Faulkner

Within this iron fence lies Duncan MacLanders 1788 - 1870 and Johanne Faulkner 1788 - 1876

First of the line to leave the shores of Scotland and seek a freer and fuller life in the New World.

Erected by descendants . . . — Map (db m108165) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Lower Truro — First Landing

In 1760-62 near this Head of Cobequid Bay the first English speaking settlers of the Townships of Onslow and Truro landed. Of Ulster Irish, Scottish and English stock, these pioneers were among those brought to Nova Scotia from New England by . . . — Map (db m108717) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Tatamagouche — Naval Encounter at Tatamagouche(15th June, 1745)

In this harbour Capt. David Donahew of New England with three armed vessels surprised Lieut. Paul Marin's allied force en route from Annapolis Royal to Louisbourg. He drove them ashore, disheartened the Canadian Indians and prevented the French . . . — Map (db m108133) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Tatamagouche — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918

Alexander Henderson • George McIntosh Freeman McLellan • Harry McLellan George Powers • Arthur Rose • William Tattrie Roy Weatherby • George Weatherby Orrin . . . — Map (db m108154) WM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), The Falls — St. Andrew's Presbyterian ChurchThe Falls, Nova Scotia — 1872 - 2002

The land for the church was donated by Mr. John R. Hayman and was contracted to be built for the sum of one thousand, four hundred thirty two dollars. The closing service for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was held . . . — Map (db m108184) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Centennial of Presbyterian Church Formation in Canada

Legend

This plaque commemorates

The centennial of the formation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1875; The ministry of the Rev. Daniel Cock (1771-1805) of Greenock, Scotland, and the Rev. David Smith (1771-1795) of St. . . . — Map (db m108220) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — First Presbyterian/United Church

Town of Truro Registered Heritage Property

Nova Scotia Provincial Heritage Property — Map (db m108223) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Old Provincial Normal College1877-78

Town of Truro Registered Heritage Property

Nova Scotia Provincial Heritage Property — Map (db m108192) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — The Lumber Jack, circa 1900

The Lumber Jack represents the exciting role Truro has played in development of forestry in Nova Scotia. Truro has always been, and still is today, a centre of forestry activity. The forest industry continues to be the backbone of the local and . . . — Map (db m108243) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Truro Post Office / Le Bureau de Poste de Truro

This building, opened in 1884, was erected to house the Post Office, Customs and Internal Revenue. Designed under the supervision of federal Chief Architect Thomas Fuller, the Truro Post Office was part of a nation-wide programme to house . . . — Map (db m108244) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — War MemorialLest We Forget

Erected by the Citizens of Truro

In Honor of the Men who during The Great War 1914 - 18 nobly upheld the honor of the Empire in France and Flanders and gave their lives that right shall prevail

[World War II] 1939 . . . — Map (db m108214) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Edward Barron Chandler1800 - 1880

Born in Amherst, Chandler was called to the New Brunswick bar in 1823. He represented Westmorland in the legislature (1827-36), was a Legislative Councillor (1836-78) and a member of the Executive Council almost continuously between 1844 and . . . — Map (db m107018) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Former Site of Amherst Post Office1935 - 1976

[Title is text] — Map (db m107022) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Jonathan McCully1809 - 1877

Born in Cumberland County, N. S., McCully practised law in Amherst and was appointed to the Legislative Council of Nova Scotia in 1848 serving as Solicitor General and Government leader in the Council (1860-62). As editor of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m108034) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Robert Barry Dickey1811 - 1903

Born in Amherst, educated at Windsor Academy, and called to the bar in 1834, Dickey practiced law in Amherst and sat in the Legislative Council of Nova Scotia (1858-67). A Father of Confederation, he attended both the Charlottetown and Quebec . . . — Map (db m107017) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Sir Charles Tupper1821 - 1915

Born at Amherst and educated in medicine, Tupper was elected in 1855 to the Nova Scotia Assembly, becoming Premier in 1864. In alliance with John A. Macdonald, he skilfully manoeuvered unwilling Nova Scotians into Confederation. Having held . . . — Map (db m108038) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — World Wars Memorial

Erected by Senator and Mrs. Curry in memory of their son Captain Leon Hall Curry and his Brothers in Arms from Cumberland County who gave their lives to their country in the Great German War 1914 - 1918

[Roll of Honored . . . — Map (db m108029) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin

[Face] The Acadian village of Beaubassin on this site was founded by settlers from Port Royal around 1672. Upon the arrival of Major Charles Lawrence with British troops in April 1750, the French authorities had the village destroyed in . . . — Map (db m106953) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin 1672-1750

This area was the site of the Acadian village of Beaubassin, first known Bourgeois settlement. Raided in 1696 and again in 1703 by a force from Boston under Captain Ben Church. Occupied by French troops in 1746 who travelled on snowshoes in . . . — Map (db m106951) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Natural History

Geology This area is located in the Carboniferous Lowlands of Nova Scotia. The underlying bedrock is sedimentary with varying proportions of sandstone and mudstone. In some areas where the bedrock has been folded, the sandstone has been . . . — Map (db m108707) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Un hommage à/A Tribute to Jacob (Jacques) Bourgeois

Fondateur, vers 1672, de Beaubassin premier établissement dans la région de la rivière Missagouèche et initiateur de l'agriculture maraîchère en Acadie

Jacob Bourgeois arriva à Port-Royal en 1641 à titre de chirurgien pour la colonie . . . — Map (db m107012) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Evolution of Pugwash IndustryOur Harbour • Our Heritage

Pugwash sits on top the largest salt deposit in Atlantic Canada. The train tracks, bridges, and wharves that defined the tapestry of the village infrastructure changed significantly over the decades as local industry evolved, including the . . . — Map (db m108068) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Nova Scotia ClayworksOur Harbour • Our Heritage

While lobster boats have filled the local wharves for generations, the community's most unique feature may have been the 130 ft. (39.6m) smoke stack belonging to Nova Scotia Clayworks on the opposite side of the harbour. Started in 1889, the . . . — Map (db m108078) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash HarbourOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The deep harbour of Pugwash has a long and storied seafaring heritage, with many eras of ships carrying lumber and raw materials up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

[Historic Pugwash photos]

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only . . . — Map (db m108080) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash Railway StationOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The Pugwash Railway Station, completed in 1892, is one of only two stations designed by Sir Sandford Fleming that is still standing in Nova Scotia. The station is also famous for its part in the 1957 "Thinkers Conference" where Pugwash native . . . — Map (db m108069) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash StreetscapesOur Harbour • Our Heritage

Historically, the main streets were lined with hotels, merchants, and services one would expect of a long-standing port village. The village endured seven devastating fires between 1877 to 1929 that permanently changed the street-scape . . . — Map (db m108083) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash Train Station 1961Pugwash Heritage

The station was built in 1888. Rail service to Pugwash commenced in 1890 and ceased in 1993. Five miles of track linked Pugwash to the Shortline at Pugwash Junction. The Shortline ran from Pictou to Oxford Junction linking it with the rail . . . — Map (db m108070) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Gathering of the ClansOur Harbour • Our Heritage

All of the community celebrations culminate on Water Street. Canada Day has been celebrated in Pugwash since 1951 with festivities called "The Gathering of the Clans" paying homage to some of its founding settlers. This is also the reason many . . . — Map (db m108076) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Pugwash Conferences and Masonic LodgeOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The Pugwash Conferences on Science & World Affairs

The Pugwash Conferences take their names from the location of the first meeting, held in 1957, in the village of Pugwash, Nova Scotia, birthplace of their host, American philanthropist . . . — Map (db m108075) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — World Wars Memorial1914 - 1918 • 1939 - 1945 — Lest We Forget

[Great War Honored Dead] Douglas Langille • Harold Esty Benjamin Percy Erle Benjamin • William McLean Borden Cecil Raymond Richards • Frederick Elias King Frank Demings • Harry Hector McLellan Andrew Gray McPherson • George Selig . . . — Map (db m108059) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — Saint Matthew's Presbyterian ChurchProvincial Heritage Property

[Title is text] — Map (db m108100) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — St. John's United Church CemeteryWallace — 1810 - 1934

[List of burials] — Map (db m108101) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — War MemorialLest We Forget

World War I 1914 - 1918 William Baird • James Bathgate • Alexander Craib James Crooks • Kenneth Hape • Charles MacNutt Elmer MacNutt • Wellsley McCann • Daniel Reeves Chester Slack • Harold Slack • Gordon Tingley Renton Fisher • . . . — Map (db m108094) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace Bridge — Simon Newcomb1835-1909

Born at Wallace Bridge, Newcomb moved to the United States in 1853. Graduating from Harvard he became Professor of Mathematics in the U.S. Navy and was assigned to the Naval Observatory. He was soon recognized as an authority on mathematical . . . — Map (db m108085) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace Bridge — Willard Sterling Boyle, C.C.Inventor / Inventeur — Nobel Laureate (Physics, 2009) / Lauréat du prix Nobel (Physique, 2009)

Bill was from Wallace, where his grandfather worked in the quarry and kept the lighthouse. His father was the village doctor until their move to the backwoods of northern Quebec. While there, Bill was home schooled by his mother until age 14, . . . — Map (db m108089) HM

Nova Scotia (Regional Municipality of Halifax), Dartmouth — Legion War Memorial"Lest We Forget"

Boer War 1899 - 1902 World War I 1914 - 1918 World War II 1939 - 1945 Korea War 1950 - 1953 Afghanistan 2001 - 2014 — Map (db m108806) WM

Nova Scotia (Regional Municipality of Halifax), Dartmouth — Sullivan's PondA Marker of Distinction

Sullivan’s Pond was a vital feature of the historic Shubenacadie Canal, the traditional water route of Mi’kmaq Indians connecting the harbour at Dartmouth with Minas Pasin and the Bay of Fundy. When the Canal operated, from 1861 to 1870, water . . . — Map (db m108732) HM

Nova Scotia (Regional Municipality of Halifax), Dartmouth — Totem Pole

This totem pole, carved by three Kwakiutl Indian carvers from a log of western red cedar, is a gift to the 1969 Canada Games Society on the occasion of the first Canadian Summer Games, held in the twin cities of Halifax and Dartmouth, Nova . . . — Map (db m108731) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — A Diverse Fishery

Fishing has been the backbone of Yarmouth's culture and economy for over 200 years. In the early days, salted dried cod was shipped by schooners and barques headed to the West Indies in exchange for rum, molasses and sugar. Today Yarmouth's . . . — Map (db m107349) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — A Footstep into the Harbour

A Footstep into the Harbour The Southwestern shore of Nova Scotia, including Yarmouth County, is home to one of Canada's largest fisheries. For over two hundred years, fishing boats have sailed past this point, as well as from other ports . . . — Map (db m107638) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Ballard [sic - Bollard]

This Ballard [sic - Bollard]

was located on a wharf in Yarmouth in the early 1900's. It's purpose was to tie ships to the wharf. It weighs 450 pounds.

Donated by Mr. Danny MacIsaac — Map (db m107255) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Bell
. . . — Map (db m107256) HM
Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Cape Forchu's Guiding Light

An enduring symbol of Yarmouth's historic and economic ties to the sea, a lighthouse has towered over the rocky headlands of Cape Forchu since 1839, guiding mariners to the safety of Yarmouth Harbour. The current lighthouse was automated in . . . — Map (db m107293) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Cheboque

Cheboque The name "Cheboque" comes from the Mi'kmaw word for "big marshes", a very accurate name for this area. Beginning at Arcadia, the Cheboque salt marsh sprawls 343 hectares (837 acres) alongside the Cheboque River.

According to . . . — Map (db m107735) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Explosive Geology

The amazing geological formations you see along the Leif Ericson Trail, and at Cape Forchu, are the result of ancient volcanoes that erupted approximately 444-429 million years ago during the Silurian and early Devonian periods in Earth's . . . — Map (db m107540) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Harbour of Deception

Harbour of Deception For almost two centuries, Yarmouth's False Harbour has lived up to its name. Located at the end of Cape Forchu, False Harbour's rocky shores have fooled the most experienced and capable of mariners, especially during . . . — Map (db m107719) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — In Dire Need of a Lighthouse

The Town of Yarmouth, and its surrounding area, was settled in 1761 by Planters from Massachusetts. These settlers fished along the coast and harvested lumber from the forests to build homes, businesses and sailing vessels. By the . . . — Map (db m107298) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Lost to the Sea / Perdus en Mer

The year 1879 was a disastrous one for Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, with no fewer than 31 vessels lost along with 106 persons. The ships lost were among the best of the Yarmouth fleet, some carrying valuable cargoes. The loss of life left . . . — Map (db m107392) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — M.V. Bluenose Anchor

This Anchor was donated to Freinds [sic - Friends] of the Yarmouth Light Society, by Bay Ferries. The fluke was broken off, when it got caught in [the] rocks on bottom, while at anchor just off the lighthouse. This anchor came off the . . . — Map (db m107648) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Phare Cap-Forchu / Cape Forchu Lightstation

Balise canadienne Lorsque Samuel de Champlain visita la région en 1604, il la nomma Cap-Fourchu. Un an plus tard, Champlain s'installa à Port-Royal ou, La Cadie, un nom dérivé du nom « L'Arcadie » qu'un explorateur italien aviat donné à . . . — Map (db m107359) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Pieces of the Past

Pieces of the Past Since 1840, a lighthouse has kept watch over Cape Forchu and the approaches of Yarmouth Harbour.

In 1962, the original lighthouse was replaced with the iconic "apple core" structure that towers over the Cape . . . — Map (db m107551) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — The Power of the Sea

Watching the waves crashing around Cape Forchu provides a small glimpse of the awesome and terrifying power of the sea. It continually shapes the lives of those who live and work by it. A source of beauty, bounty and economic prosperity, the . . . — Map (db m107284) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — The Tusket Islands

The Tusket Islands Located south of Yarmouth, the Tusket Islands extend mainly along the coast, from Pinkney's Point to Wedgeport. The Tusket Island chain was once a great asset to the fishing economy of Nova Scotia's Southwestern . . . — Map (db m107652) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Welcome to the Leif Ericson Trail

A Yarmouth - Viking Connection? This scenic trail is named after the famous Norse explorer, and son of Eric the Red, Leif Ericson, who may have visited these shores sometime around 1000 AD.

Many scholars regard Leif Ericson as the . . . — Map (db m107487) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Hubbard's Point — Barges de foin salé de Buttes-AmiraultSalt Haystacks of Amirault's Hill

Jusaqu'aux années 1950 on pouvait encore voir plus de 1000 barges ou meules de foin entre la Pointe-du-Sault et la Pointe-des-Hubbard, surtout dans la région appelée « Passe de pré ». Des hommes habiles à la faux pouvaient faucher . . . — Map (db m108766) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and When is Le Village Acadien?Le Village historique acadien, c'est quoi?...c'est quand?

Le Village presents the lifestyle, culture and traditions of the Acadians of Nova Scotia at the turn of the 20th century, approximately 250 years after they first settled in the Pubnico area. This is the longest established Acadian region . . . — Map (db m108266) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — A Bond with the Sea / A Sustaining FaithUn lien avec la mer / Une foi nourrissante

Before You Step Back in Time... Though Le Village historique acadien is a created outdoor museum, it speaks to truths about the overall Acadian experience in Nova Scotia, and to the particular life and times of the Pubnicos in the . . . — Map (db m108272) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Les pionniers acadiens / Acadian PioneersLe Village historique acadien de la Nouvelle-Écosse

Les pionniers acadiens

Pubnico est le plus ancien village acadien encore habité par les descendants des familles fondatrices. Vous trouverez, dans l'annuaire téléphonique, près de 400 personnes du nom d'Entremont. Ils sont les . . . — Map (db m107971) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Recolter la mer / Harvesting the SeaQuai Dennis Point / Dennis Point Wharf

Récolter la mer Vous êtes debout sur l'un des quais de pêche les plus achalandés au Canada.

Autrefois, le hareng était pêché dans des parcs en fascines, ou « nijagans » inventés par les Mi'kmaq. Le poisson entrait dans le . . . — Map (db m108006) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Sieur Phillippe Mius-d'Entremont1609 - 1699

Foundateur de la Baronnie de Pobomcoup (Pubnico) 1653

Founder of the Barony of Pobomcoup (Pubnico) 1653

Don du reveil de Pombcoup Sculpteur - Albert Deveau - Sculptor Aout - 1998 - August Remplace - Replaced Sculpteur - . . . — Map (db m107967) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and Where is Acadie? / L'Acadie, c'est quoi?...c'est ou?

There is not now and never has been a single definition of Acadie, or Acadia. It all depends on the time period and one's point of view.

Back in the 1600s and early 1700s, Acadie was a loosely defined region that more or less . . . — Map (db m108271) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Who are the Acadians? / Qui sont les Acadiens?

Acadians themselves can best answer this question, and our staff looks forward to sharing stories and insights into Acadian history and culture. We are also pleased to share some information on this panel for your reading pleasure.

As . . . — Map (db m108270) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Middle West Pubnico — Dennis PointLiving Wharves / Tchais Vivants

Following the fish While Dennis Point's most valuable fishery is lobster, this wharf is also home to Canada's largest ground fishing fleet. This diverse fishery takes our fishermen (and women) to many special fishing areas.

Going the . . . — Map (db m108001) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Rocco Point — Chapelle de la Pointe-à-Rocco / Chapel site at Rocco PointRacines religieuses / Religious Roots

La chapelle originale fut construite sur le site en 1784. La vue sur la colline est superbe. Vous pouvez facilement imaginer l'arrivée des fidèles à la messe à pied, à cheval, par bateau, ou par attelage de bœufs.

Après son arrivée de . . . — Map (db m108627) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Rocco Point — Chapelle Site / Chapel Site

Le Site La Pointe-à-Rocco fut fondée en 1767 par les Acadiens revenus de l'exil. Pierre LeBlanc, Pierre et Louis Muis et Pierre Surette furent les premiers à s'établir dans le village. Ce site était le lieu de la première . . . — Map (db m108641) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Rocco Point — L'histoire des Surette / History of the Surettes

Avant la construction des églises, les enterrements avaient lieu près de la mer du côté d'Eel Brook. C'est dans cet endroit d'inhumation que seraient enterrés Catherine Bro et Pierre Suret II, le couple fondateur de la région.

Catherine . . . — Map (db m108637) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Ste. Anne du Ruisseau — Église Ste-Anne ChurchUne foi vivante / Living Faith

Une chapelle fut construite à la Pointe-à-Rocco en 1784. Elle fut utilisée par des Acadiens et des Mi'kmaq de la région jusqu'à ce qu'une église plus grande soit construite sur le site en 1808. À la suite d'un incendie dévastateur en 1900, . . . — Map (db m108513) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Ste. Anne du Ruisseau — Saint Anne Catholic Church Veterans MemorialLest We Forget / De Peur Que Nous Oublions

1914 - 1918 [Died in Service] Anthony Doucette • Felix Doucette Simon Doucette

[Honor Roll of Veterans]

1939 - 1945 [Died in Service] Louis Babin • William Doucet Walter Deveau

[Honor Roll of . . . — Map (db m108613) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Tusket — Argyle Township Court House and GaolLe Palais de Justice et Prison Canton d'Argyle

This well-preserved building, constructed between 1802 and 1805, is the oldest-known combined court house and jail still remaining in Canada. A prominent symbol of law and order, this building type was common to British North American towns in . . . — Map (db m108770) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Tusket — Law in Nova Scotia / La Loi en Nouvelle-Écosse

Nova Scotia was the first colony in British North America to receive English law in all its jurisdictional variants, and the first colony to establish the legislative institutions necessary for the enactment of law. It was the first to . . . — Map (db m108771) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Tusket — The/Le Village of TusketLooking South, ca. 1910 / Regardant Vers le Sud, Environ 1910

Next to the Court House on the east side of the street was the Tusket Cycle Company and just south of that, the Methodist Church built in 1877. On the opposite side of the street, the building in the foreground with the bundle of . . . — Map (db m108772) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Tusket — United Empire Loyalists

GIIIR

In proud memory of those United Empire Loyalists the majority of them of Dutch origin who defeated and despoiled were compelled to find refuge here following the American Revolution. Arriving . . . — Map (db m108760) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Tusket — World Wars Memorial1914 - 1918 • 1939 - 1945

In honour and loving memory of our heroes who met death to save life.

Corp. Joseph B. Jeffery 222979, 85th. Canadian Battalion Died of Wounds, St. Pol. France Oct. 4th. 1918 Aged 25 years

Pte. Clement . . . — Map (db m108761) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 200th Anniversary Commemoration of the "Grand Deportation"Commémoration du Deuxiéme Centenaire du "Grand Dérangement" — 1755 • 1955

[Title is text - Le titre est le texte]

[Dedicated] August 17, 1955. [Dévoué] le 27 août 1955. — Map (db m108371) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 300th Anniversary of the Founding of Pubnico1651 • 1951

A la mémoire de sieur Philippe d'Entremont pionier, colonizateur et fondateur de Pubnico arrivé le 29 août 1651 —————— Pro Deo et Patria . . . — Map (db m108366) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 350th Anniversary Tribute to Acadian Women

Hommage aux femmes courageuses et fortes qui ont formé et nourri notre communauté depuis 350 ans

Le 28 septembre 2003 —————— Tribute to the courageous and strong women who have trained and . . . — Map (db m108393) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Mémorial des guerres mondiales / World Wars Memorial

A la mémoire de ceux de Pubnico qui ont donné leur vie dans les deux guerres mondiales —————— In memory of those of Pubnico who gave their lives in the two World Wars

1914 . . . — Map (db m108394) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Musée acadien et Centre de recherch / Acadian Museum and Research CenterUn musée vivant / Living Museum

Cette propriété familiale qui date des années 1800 a une bonne ossature et elle dégage une énergie extraordinaire. Mais pour sentir le pouls du musée, il faut rencontrer les Acadiens et écouter leurs histoires.

Prenons, par exemple, Simon « . . . — Map (db m108360) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Perdu aux eaux / Lost to the Waters

L'eau de la mer, des lacs et des rivières peut être source de bonheur, de plaisir, de richesses, mais l'eau peut être aussi source d'épreuves, de malheur.

Ce monument veut rappeler la mémoire de ceux et celles qui furent engloutis . . . — Map (db m108397) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Potager Acadien / Acadian Garden

Les plantes dans le jardin sont représentatives de celles disponibles aux Acadiens en 1653. ——————————— Plants in the garden represent those accessible to the Acadians in . . . — Map (db m108362) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Cape Forchu Lighthouse

This replica was created and donated to the citizens of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia from Doug Koohtow, Holland Landing, Ontario May 28, 2014 — Map (db m107869) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Coronation Park

Sophia Killam Caie saw a need, and she was determined to meet it. The north end of town - Milton - needed a recreation ground for sports and games.

Mrs. Caie, along with her husband, Robert, owned a portion of land that was ideally . . . — Map (db m107323) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — East and West Camps, RCAF Station Yarmouth Nova Scotia

This plaque was erected to commemorate all Naval, Army, Air Force and civilian personnel who served at the Yarmouth Air Base in the War of 1939 - 1945 to maintain our democratic freedoms. — Map (db m107738) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — First Yarmouth Mayor and Council

The Town of Yarmouth _ Nova Scotia _ On its 75th anniversary as an incorporated town erects this memorial as a grateful tribute to the vision, devotion and unselfish public service of its First Mayor and Council we of . . . — Map (db m107878) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Frost Park

This park named in honor of Charles Sydney Frost, M.C. Native son who, through diligence and ability, became President of the Bank of Nova Scotia June 14, 1956 — Map (db m107872) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Frost ParkTown of Yarmouth

[Excerpt from Town of Yarmouth informational sign]

Get your bearings Named after Charles Sydney Frost, a Yarmouth resident who became president of the Bank of Nova Scoita, this green space at the heart of the town is the perfect place . . . — Map (db m107960) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Hartlin TrailRobert E. Hartlin — 1936 - 2005

Executive Director Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation It is with great pleasure that the Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation dedicates this trail to the memory of Robert E. Hartlin. The "Hartlin Trail" extends . . . — Map (db m107897) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Land TransportationConnecting by Road & Rail

Early transportation in Yarmouth was largely centred on the coast. Gradually, road development linked Yarmouth with the rest of Nova Scotia by land and regular passenger and mail services were established by stage coach. By 1891 railway . . . — Map (db m107313) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Lost to the Sea

Dedicated to the memory of all those residents of Yarmouth County and crew members of ships owned in Yarmouth County who have been lost to the sea We honour those here named as well as those not yet known to us

[Remembered Dead . . . — Map (db m107927) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Lost to the Sea / Perdus en Mer

The year 1879 was a disastrous one for Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, with no fewer than 31 vessels lost along with 106 persons. The ships lost were among the best of the Yarmouth fleet, some carrying valuable cargoes. The loss of life left . . . — Map (db m107934) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — ManufacturingGoods & Services for the Marketplace

Early manufacturing in Yarmouth grew in support of the shipbuilding industry, the fishery, and the maintenance of vessels engaged in shipping. The flourishing textile industry had its origins in the ability to import inexpensive raw . . . — Map (db m107320) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Sarah CorningShe Lived to Serve Others

It is a long way from the farming community of Chegoggin, Yarmouth County, to a small village at the foot of Mount Ararat, but no journey was too far for Sarah Corning if there were children in need of care. Sarah Corning was born on 16 . . . — Map (db m107902) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — War Memorial

To the men of Yarmouth County who fell An•Dom•MCMXIV-MCMXIX

[Roll of Honored Dead] ————————————— To the glory of God and dedicated to the memory . . . — Map (db m107832) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Women Philanthropists

Those Amazing Women The Age of Sail brought a considerable amount of wealth to the port of Yarmouth. There have been many instances in which those who earned these riches undertook projects to benefit the citizens of the area. However, . . . — Map (db m107330) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth Bar — Seafaring Sons of Yarmouth County

On this, the site of the first launching in the county, 1764, this monument is erected in proud memory of all the seafaring sons of Yarmouth County who, "going down to the sea in ships," by their outstanding seamanship and . . . — Map (db m107252) HM

Ontario (Chatham-Kent County), Morpeth — The Wilkins Expedition1763
On November 7, 1763 a fleet of small boats carrying nearly 700 officers and men of the 60th and 80th Regiments under Major John Wilkins was forced ashore by a violent storm abut three miles east of this point. The expedition had set out from Niagara . . . — Map (db m108505) HM
Ontario (Muskoka District), Gravenhurst — The Muskoka Road 1858
During the 1850's and 1860's the government attempted to open up the districts lying north of the settled townships by means of "Colonization Roads". Free land was offered to persons who would settle along the route, clear a stated acreage and help . . . — Map (db m108709) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — Jean Nicolet
Born in France about 1598, this explorer, fur trader and interpreter came to Canada in 1608. Under orders from Samuel de Champlain, he spent the following two years with the Algonquins of Allumette Island. He was then sent to the Nipissing Indians . . . — Map (db m107579) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — La Vase Portages
The historic La Vase (Mud) Portages began at the head of the nearby pond. These three portages, connecting Trout Lake and the lower La Vase River, were linked by small navigable streams and ponds. They formed part of the great canoe route via the . . . — Map (db m107582) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — Reverend Silas Huntington1829-1905
A zealous Methodist missionary descended from an early New England family, Huntington was born in Kemptville. With his ordination in 1854 he commenced a long Christian ministry, serving various congregations in eastern Ontario and Quebec until 1882 . . . — Map (db m107571) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — The Ontario Northland Railway
In 1900 the Ontario Government ordered a survey for a railway from North Bay to the head of Lake Timiskaming to encourage settlement and provide access to mineral deposits. Construction of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway began in 1902, . . . — Map (db m107572) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Sturgeon Falls — The Founding of Sturgeon Falls
The development of Sturgeon Falls began in 1881 with the arrival of Canadian Pacific Railway constructions teams and the opening of a post office. About a year earlier the community's first permanent settler, James Holditch, had acquired land here . . . — Map (db m107569) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Verner — The Reverend Charles Alfred Marie Paradis1848-1926
Born in Kamouraska County, Québec, Paradis studied at Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière College and taught art in Ottawa. Following his ordination in 1881 he was posted to Lake Timiskaming as missionary of the Oblate Congregation. Paradis' travels as a . . . — Map (db m107568) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Waterloo), West Montrose — The West Montrose Covered Bridge
This structure, the only remaining covered bridge in Ontario, was designed by John Bear in 1880, on the authority of Woolwich Township Council, to replace an earlier bridge over the Grand River. Built a year later by John and his brother, Benjamin, . . . — Map (db m108716) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Schreiber — Japanese-Canadian Road Camps1942-1944
During the Second World War, the federal government forcibly evacuated Canadians of Japanese ancestry from the coast of British Columbia. In the spring of 1942, several hundred young men were sent to Ontario to help build the Trans-Canada Highway. . . . — Map (db m107384) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Schreiber — Sir Collingwood Schreiber1831-1918
This community, originally known as Isbester's Landing, was named in 1885 after Collingwood G. Schreiber. Born at Bradwell Lodge, near Colchester, England, Schreiber emigrated to Canada West in 1852. His training in England as a civil engineer . . . — Map (db m107382) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Terrace Bay — Glacial Terraces
About 20,000 years ago Ontario was covered by a great glacier, the fourth glaciation in this region within the past million years. The meltwaters from these gigantic ice-sheets filled the Lake Superior basin and progressively developed new drainage . . . — Map (db m107567) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — C.D. Howe(1886-1960)
The dynamic "Minister of Everything", Massachusetts-born Clarence Decatur Howe immigrated to Canada in 1908 and established an engineering firm in Port Arthur in 1916. Elected to the House of Commons in 1935, he was a dominate figure in Liberal . . . — Map (db m107352) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968
This celebrated Canadian army nurse and public health authority was born in Port Arthur. In 1909 "Beth" Smellie became night supervisor at McKellar General Hospital. Joining the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps in 1915, she served in France and . . . — Map (db m106976) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Connaught Square
This square was named in 1936 for Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, third son of Queen Victoria. He was serving in Canada with his regiment in 1870, when Colonel Wolseley named Prince Arthur's Landing (later Port Arthur) in his honour. Created Duke . . . — Map (db m107067) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Sir William C. Van Horne1843-1915
Born in Chelsea, Illinois, Van Horne, after a brilliant career with a number of railway companies in the mid-western United States, accepted the position of general manager of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1881. Construction of this pioneer . . . — Map (db m107350) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Terrance Stanley FoxJuly 28, 1958 - June 28, 1981
"Dreams are made if people only try. I believe in miracles... I have to... Because somewhere the hurting must stop." Terry Fox inspired this nation with his dream - his MARATHON OF HOPE - a cross-Canada run to raise money for cancer research. . . . — Map (db m107355) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Terry Fox(1958-1981)
While in remission from cancer, Terry Fox set out to run across Canada in 1980 to raise money for cancer research. Despite having lost his right leg to the disease, this determined athlete ran 5,373 kilometres - nearly a marathon a day for 143 . . . — Map (db m107354) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904
Born in Carlisle, England, Baxter came to Canada as a child. He studied in Toronto and at the Sulpician College in Montreal before becoming, reputedly, the first English-speaking Jesuit novice in Canada. After his ordination in New York in 1854, he . . . — Map (db m107065) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda
This tourist kiosk was erected in 1909 to promote Port Arthur's social and economic merits to visitors and investors. Its eye-catching architecture and strategic location reflect civic boosterism and the city's rivalry with nearby Fort William . . . — Map (db m107068) HM
Yukon Territory, Montague — The Overland Trail
The territorial government contracted the White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR) to build a winter road from Whitehorse to Dawson in 1902. The company had the winter mail contract, and used its Royal Mail Service coaches to carry passengers, baggage and . . . — Map (db m108780) HM
Yukon Territory, Pelly Crossing — Pelly Crossing
The Northern Tutchone who now live at Pelly Crossing traditionally led a semi-nomadic life in the lower Pelly River area.

When Robert Campbell built Fort Selkirk, the site was already a meeting place for trading with the coastal Tlingit. The . . . — Map (db m108781) HM

Yukon Territory, Stewart Crossing — Sternwheelers on the Stewart River
High water on the Stewart River peaks in late May and early June. The water level then declines for the rest of the summer to the point where only sternwheelers with a very shallow draft could navigate its swift current and shifting . . . — Map (db m108782) HM
Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo (Municipality of Boca Chica), Boca Chica — José Francisco Peña Gómez International Airport
Conocido histórica e internacionalmente en el Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP, por sus siglas en inglés) como Aeropuerto Internacional de Las Américas, esta terminal aeroportuario fue denominado oficialmente como Aeropuerto Internacional . . . — Map (db m108758) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Juan Opico), San Juan Opico — The San Salvador Volcano Complex
El Complejo del Volcán de San SalvadorUstedes pueden admirar un campo de lava petrificada, producto de la última erupción del Cráter El Boquerón en 1917. Hoy en día, facilita la infiltración del agua en la tierra, alimentando las capas . . . — Map (db m107291) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — 36 — Fünfknopfturm / Five-points Tower
Der Fünfknopfturm war in der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts ein ungemein beliebtes Motiv, sodass er auch als Hintergrund bei vielen Ansichten erscheint. Der Fünfknopfturm markiert die west-liche Stadtmauer vor dem Waldstetter Bach, . . . — Map (db m108086) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — 32 — Garten der Partnerstadt Bethlehem (USA) / Garden of the Sister City of Bethlehem (USA)
Die Partnerschaft zwischen Bethlehem und Schwäbisch Gmünd besteht seit 1991. Bethlehem ist eine der ältesten Städte der USA. Sie wurde am Heiligen Abend 1741 von einer deutschen Pilgergruppe - den "Moravians" (Mährern) - gegründet. Die . . . — Map (db m106895) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Katharina Czisch
geboren am 7. September 1909 als Katharina Probst in Leer/Ostfriesland gestorben am 21. Januar 1999 in Stuttgart Die Berufsträume ihrer Jugendzeit, den Armen unter den Menschen das Leben zu erleichtern, konnte die Juristin . . . — Map (db m106984) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Marktplatz Nr. 16
1780 erbaut von J.M. Keller für den Posthalter und Kantenwirt Johann Michael von Stahl. Das Haus steht in Wechselwirkung zum gleichzeitig errichteten Postamt. [English translation:] Built in 1780 by J.M. . . . — Map (db m108058) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Schwäbisch Gmünd War Memorial
1914-1918 sind 670 Söhne unserer Stadt Gmünd für Deutschland gefallen 1939-1945 gaben über 1000 Gmünder ihr Leben für die Heimat [English translation:] In 1914-1918 670 sons of the City of . . . — Map (db m108190) HM WM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Rabbiner Seligmann Bär Bamberger
Hier wirkte Rabbiner Seligmann Bär Bamberger Der "Würzburger Rav" 1807-1878 in der von ihm 1864 gegr. israelitischen Lehrerbildungs- anstalt [English translation:] Here worked Rabbi . . . — Map (db m108763) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Ansbach), Bechhofen — War Memorial
Zum Gedenken an unsere lieben Gefallenen und Vermissten der Kriege 1914 - 1918 1939 - 1945 In Dankbarkeit gewidmet von der Gemeinde Sachsbach [English translation:] In commemoration of . . . — Map (db m108679) WM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Kitzingen), Prichsenstadt — 1 — Westtor / West GateHistorischer Stadtrundgang / Historical Town Walk
Vorstadttor, auch Obertor, erbaut im Zuge der Mauervollendung von 1584-1587. Die Vorstadt stellte die Erweiterung der ursprünglichen Stadt dar. An der Außenfassade des Tores befinden sich zwei Köpfe der damaligen ansbachischen . . . — Map (db m108057) HM
Germany, Hessen (Landkreis Offenbach), Heusenstamm — Ehemaliges Kellergebäude und Zehnthaus / Former Ware- and Tithing House
Amtssitz der gräflichen Verwaltung mit Wirtschaftshof zur Ablieferung des Zehnten

Bis zur Auflösung der gräflichen Hofhaltung gegen Ende des 18. Jahrhunderts auch Sitz des Amtsdirektors

Im 19. Jahrhundert in Privathand . . . — Map (db m108779) HM

Germany, Hessen (Landkreis Offenbach), Heusenstamm — Gasthaus zum Goldenen Löwen / The Inn at the Golden Lion
Heute ältestes und ehemals einziges Gasthaus aus dem 16. Jahrhundert mit Ausschankgerechtigkeit des von der Herrschaft gebrauten Bieres Das rückwärtige Hotelgebäude entstand aus einem später angebauten Saal und Überbauung des Hofes . . . — Map (db m108860) HM
Germany, Hessen (Landkreis Offenbach), Heusenstamm — Heusenstamm World War II Victims Memorial
Aus Anlass des 50. Jahrestages der Befreiung vom Nationalsozialismus gedenkt die Stadt Heusenstamm ihrer Mitbürger, die unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft aus rassischen, religiösen oder politischen Gründen verfolgt und . . . — Map (db m108783) WM
Germany, Hessen (Landkreis Offenbach), Heusenstamm — Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Cäcila / Catholic Parish Church of St. Cecilia
mit Familiengruft der Grafen von Schönborn (with a familial crypt for the Counts of Schoenborn) Erbaut von (built by): Maria Theresia von Schönborn 1739-1744 Planung und Bauleitung (Planning and Construction): . . . — Map (db m108793) HM
Germany, Hessen (Landkreis Offenbach), Heusenstamm — Schloss Heusenstamm / Heusenstamm Palace
Das Schloss wurde 1663-1668 von Philipp Erwein von Schönborn erbaut und diente bis 1801 den Grafen von Schönborn als Residenz. Über der Toreinfahrt ist das Allianzwappen der Schönborn/ Greiffenclau zu sehen. Die Schreckfratze und die . . . — Map (db m108864) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipalidad de Amatitlán), Amatitlán — The Bridge of GloryThe Mill Bridge
Puente de la Gloria o del Molino Estructura Colonial del siglo XVI declarado Monumento Nacional Noviembre de 1967 Su restauración responde a la voluntad y responsabilidad de autoridades municipales, conscientes en rescatar para los . . . — Map (db m107479) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Fountain of the Calvary
Pila del Campo Construida en el año del señor de 1660 con el Patrocinio y aporte económico del Alcalde del Muy Noble Ayuntamiento de la Ciudad de Santiago de los caballeros de Goatemala Capitan Don Joseph de Aguilar y Rebolledo En . . . — Map (db m107270) HM
Honduras, Copán (Municipality of Copán Ruinas), Copán Ruinas — Francisco Morazán
Homenaje al General Francisco Morazan Presidente de la Rep. Federal de C.A. ---------- Tercera Gran Cruzada Civica del “Liceo Militar del Norte” Agradecimiento: Juventud Copaneca Sec. de Cultura y Turismo Esc. Nac. de Bellas . . . — Map (db m107222) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Architectonic puzzle: The façade of Tecpan
Rompecabezas arquitectónico: la fachada del Tecpan Durante la construcción de la unidad habitacional Tlatelolco, los arquitectos decidieron desprender la fachada principal del Tecpan, retirándolo por partes. Luego, la volvieron a armar para . . . — Map (db m106932) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Hernán Cortés
Casa de Hernan Cortes. El Ayuntamiento en 1892. English translation: House of Hernán Cortés The City Hall of 1892. — Map (db m106874) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Diego Rivera Anahuacalli Museum
Museo Diego Rivera Anahuacalli “Anahuacalli era el templo donde la humanidad se reunía alrededor de los cuatro elementos naturales: agua, fuego, viento y tierra”. Susana Aviña Herrera El diseño del Anahuacalli - palabra que . . . — Map (db m106873) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Small Area of Tlatelolco
La Zona ChicaSe pueden contemplar diferentes etapas constructivas del límite en el recinto ceremonial, posiblemente el Coatepantli (Muralla de los Serpientes). En el patio estucado se aprecian restos de las habitaciones de quienes hacían los . . . — Map (db m106912) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Tecpan throughout time
El Tecpan a través del tiempoTras derrotar a los mexicas e inmediatamente después de la toma de Tlatelolco, Hernán Cortés ordenó construir el Tecpan para que fuera la sede del poder Judicial de la Capital de la República de Indios, mismo que . . . — Map (db m106955) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Tlatelolco
Tlatelolco La conjunción de edificios modernos con Monumentos Prehispánicos y Coloniales da el nombre de la Plaza de las Tres Culturas. Los Monumentos Prehispánicos corresponden al Recinto Ceremonial de México - Tlatelolco, la ciudad gemela . . . — Map (db m106909) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Vicente Riva Palacio
Vicente Riva Palacio 1832 – 1896 Nació en la ciudad de México. Participó en la Revolución de Ayutla y estuvo al frente del Ejército del Centro durante la intervención extranjera. Fue gobernador de los estados de México y Michoacán y . . . — Map (db m106954) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Luis de la Paz), Mineral de Pozos — J. Encarnación Olguín and Juana Lucio
Centenario de la Revolución Mineral de Pozos, Gto. 23 May. 1914 23 May. 2014 Coronel del Ejército Constitucionalista J. Encarnación Olguín y Juana Lucia "Juana Gallo" English translation: Centennial of the Revolution Mineral . . . — Map (db m108867) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Caderetya de Montes), Cadereyta — Friar Pablo de Betancur
“fray Pablo de Betancur, ministro de la doctrina de los indios chichimecos del Cerro Gordo…y dijo misa..” 29 de junio de 1640 Fray Pablo de Betancur nació en el pueblo de Tepozotlán hacia 1590, tomó el hábito franciscano, y . . . — Map (db m108754) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta — Cadereyta’s Water ReservoirCadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Pilancón A finales del siglo XVIll y principios del XIX se inicia la construcción de "Las Fuentes y Pilancón". Esta obra tuvo como objetivo la captación de aguas pluviales para proveer del precioso líquido a Cadereyta. El Carrizal, La de en . . . — Map (db m108619) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta — Lope Díez de Aux de Armendáriz
Ciudad de Cadereyta a Don Lope Diez de Aux de Armendáriz Marqués de Cadreita a quien en su honor se fundara esta Noble y Leal Ciudad el: 29 de junio de 1640 H. Ayuntamiento de Cadereyta 2015-2018 Ciudad de Cadereyta Don Lope . . . — Map (db m108756) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta — The Temple of Our Lady of Refuge — Cadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Templo del Refugio El matrimonio formado por Desiderio Ortega y Refugio Nava, costean la construcción de este templo en terrenos de su propiedad, para darle culto a la escultura de la Virgen en su advocación de Nuestra Señora del Refugio, . . . — Map (db m108755) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta — The Temple of Saints Peter and PaulCadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Templo de San Pedro y San Pablo Se inicia su construcción en 1725 por la orden de los Frailes Menores Franciscanos. El altar principal se termina en 1731, su retablo barroco es obra del maestro escultor Pedro de Rojas y data de 1752, es un . . . — Map (db m108622) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta — The Temple of the Holy LadderCadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Templo de la Santa Escala Su construcción iniciada en el año de 1874 por la orden de Frailes Menores Franciscanos y su terminación de debe a Francisco Barbero y Valdez. Benefactor de este lugar. Laplanta arquitectónica es de la forma octagonal. . . . — Map (db m108658) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta — The Temple of the Holy SolitudeCadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Templo de la Santa Soledad La construcción es de estilo Neoclásico que data del año de 1828. Su construcción fue costeada por Gregorio Cantu vecino de este lugar. Era atendido por los frailes Servitas. Sus torres son parecidas a la catedral de . . . — Map (db m108624) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Ajuchitlán — Temple of the Virgin of Guadalupe of Ajuchitlán
Se comenzó este templo el 6 de Sept. de 1964. Parroco P. Javier Sanchez Z. Comite Presidente Fidencio Ferrusca Tesorero Filemon Olvera con los donativos del pueblo de Ajuchitlan, Qro. English translation: Construction began on this . . . — Map (db m108354) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "Antiguo Hospital" — Ruta Cristera
“Antiguo Hospital” Casa donada por Doña Manuela Gómez de la Cortina, antiguo Hospital hasta 1924, albergo a la Escuela Leona Vicario en 1947 y funciono como Casa de la Cultura de 1987 al 23 de julio de 2002. La señorita Manuela . . . — Map (db m108350) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "El Jardín Unión" — Ruta Cristera
“Jardín Unión” La fuente original fue construida en 1877, en este lugar se encontraba la escultura de busto de Cristóbal Colón, hasta el año de 1930. En 1923 se recibió al gobernador José M. Truchuelo, con motivo de la declaración . . . — Map (db m108347) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Gaviota" — Ruta Cristera
“La Gaviota” El inmueble perteneció a Don Amado de la Mota, el comercio se llamó “La Gaviota” en el siglo XIX. Casa habitada por Don Marciano de León Granados, músico, poeta, autor del “Corrido a Colón”, . . . — Map (db m108249) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Palestina"House of J. Jesús Hernández Nieves — Ruta Cristera
“La Palestina” Casa de J. Jesús Hernández Nieves “el mártir de ocotillos”, músico, intelectual en el Movimiento Cristero, muerto en combate, sus restos descansan en la Sacristía de la Parroquia de San Francisco. . . . — Map (db m108167) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Purísima" — Ruta Cristera
“La Purisima” Inscripción en la columna: “1868” Antiguo Camino Real. Sobre el muro del lado Sur se encuentra una columna, que consta de un pedestal y en la terminación una hornacina que guarda una escultura de bulto de . . . — Map (db m108282) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — House of Clemente UgaldeLa Casa de Clemente Ugalde — Ruta Cristera
“Casa Don Clemente Ugalde” Casa de Don Clemente Ugalde, regidor en 1923, fotógrafo de profesión, perseguido durante el movimiento Cristero, en este sitio se guardo la imagen de la Virgen de los Dolores de Soriano entre una de las . . . — Map (db m108170) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Lieutenant Coronel Norberto García — Ruta Cristera
"Teniente Coronel Norberto García" Norberto García, nació en 1906, hijo legítimo del señor José García y de la señora María Dolores de la Vega prósperos comerciantes de esta villa. En 1928, Primer Regidor del Ayuntamiento de Colón y en 1930 . . . — Map (db m108338) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Monument to the Mexican Revolution
* Sufragio efectivo No reelección* Francisco I Madero 20 de noviembre, 1910 Precursores de la Revolucion Aquiles Serdan · Carmen Serdan · Ricardo Flores Magon · Enrique Flores Magon · Antonio I Villareal Combatientes Pascual Orozco · . . . — Map (db m108213) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Norberto García de la Vega90 Años de Colón - Municipio Libre — Colón - Celebrating 90 years as a Free Municipality
Norberto Garcia de la Vega (1906-1937) Nació en Colón en 1906, hijo del señor José García y de la señora María Dolores de la Vega. En 1928, siendo Regidor Primero, se levantó en armas en defensa de la Libertad Religiosa, ocupando el grado de . . . — Map (db m108334) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Temple of San Francisco de Asís
Templo de San Francisco de Asís Inició su construcción en el año de 1700 y se concluyó en 1709 por la orden de Frailes Menores de Michoacán. Es sede parroquial desde el 7 de abril de 1756. Su planta original fue de cruz latina y en 1874 fue . . . — Map (db m108427) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The House of Amado de la Mota — Ruta Cristera
Casa Mota Casa de descanso de Don Amado de la Mota, originario de Tolimanejo (hoy Colón), en 1845 militar y comandante de la Guardia Nacional; amigo del General Tomás Mejía, propietario de la Hacienda del Lobo y sus anexas, benefactor del . . . — Map (db m108231) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Landaverde House — Ruta Cristera
“Casa Landaverde” En 1923, en la Declaración de Colón como Municipio Libre y Soberano, se tomo en este sitio la foto oficial del primer Ayuntamiento Interino, siendo el primer Presidente el C.J. Refugio González, Regidores: . . . — Map (db m108336) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Parish of San Francisco — Ruta Cristera
“Parroquia de San Francisco de Asis” En el año de 1700 comienza la construcción del Templo de San Francisco de Asís, concluido después de 1709. En 1756, se erigió como Parroquia, siendo su primer párroco el Padre José Diana. El . . . — Map (db m108205) HM

2034 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1834
Paid Advertisement