Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1594 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1394
 
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 15, 2017
Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse Marker - Wide View
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse
Von hier aus beobachtete Adalbert Stifter am 8. Juli 1842 die einzige im Wien der Neuzeit eingetretene totale Sonnenfinsternis Errichtet 1994 auf Initiative des Jugendclubs "Dingi-Vindemiatrix" . . . — Map (db m107154) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Adolf Frankl
[Bottom panel:] The artist Adolf Frankl 1903 Bratislava - 1983 Vienna lived and worked in this house. Here, he created the cycle of paintings and drawings Visions from the Inferno depicting his . . . — Map (db m108582) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Der Wiener Feuerwehr / The Vienna Fire Department
Vor 300 Jahren wurde das Wienerunterkammeramt an dieser Stelle verlegt. Der Stadtunterkämmerer überwachte auch das Feuerlöschwesen. Seither befindet sich die Zentrale der Wiener Feuerwehr an diesem Platz. . . . — Map (db m108592) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Grillparzer1791-1872
War Stammgast im Wirtshaus zum Matschakerhof [English translation:] Was a frequent guest at the Matschakerhof Hotel. — Map (db m108564) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Henry Dunant and the Red Cross1828 - 1910
In der Schlacht bei Solferino besann sich das Weltgewissen zur Pflicht des Erbarmens Henry Durant der unsterbliche Samariter schuf das Rote Kreuz Hier stand das alte Kriegsministerium [English . . . — Map (db m108584) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ludwig Hevesi1843-1910
Der aus Ungarn stammende Kunst- und Theaterkritiker sowie Feuilletonist des Fremdenblattes und des Pester Lloyd wohnte zwischen 1875 und 1910 in diesem Haus. Er war einer der einflussreichsten Verfechter und Chronist . . . — Map (db m108512) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Moritz Perles
In diesem Haus befand sich bis März 1938 die Verlagsbuchhandlung Moritz Perles Im Gedenken an alle jüdischen Buchhändler und Verleger Wiens, deren Leben und Existenz nach dem "Anschluss" Österreichs vernichtet wurde, . . . — Map (db m108562) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Moritz von Schwind
In diesem Hause wurde Moriz von Schwind am 21. Jänner 1804 geboren dem Andenken des berühmten Malers die Gemeinde Wien [English translation:] In this house Moritz von Schwind was born, on . . . — Map (db m108196) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Peter Altenberg
In diesem Hotel wohnte Peter Altenberg in den Jahren von 1913 bis 1919 ————————— Franz Kafka und Max Brod stiegen hier mehrere male ab Österreichische . . . — Map (db m108429) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Türkenkugel / The Turkish Ball
Aus dem Jahr 1683 - später eingemauert und vergoldet - gab der einst hier befindlichen Gastwirtschaft und dem Haus den Namen. [English translation:] From the year 1683 - later gilded and mounted to . . . — Map (db m108594) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — North Rock Beacon1960
1960 The North Rock is an isolated outcrop marking the outer edge of the reefs of Bermuda. Since the wreck of the BONAVENTURE in 1593 it has been the graveyard of many ships. In 1912 a beacon was erected on North Rock as a warning to navigators and . . . — Map (db m107322) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — The Broad Arrow
The Broad Arrow, or "crow's foot", is the traditional symbol of British military property and is found throughout Bermuda on milestones and boundary stones, several fine examples of which are on display at the Maritime Museum. The Broad Arrow is . . . — Map (db m107319) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — The Great Western StorehouseCompleted in 1857
Built in conjunction with the Great Eastern Storehouse, this warehouse contained the offices of the Chief Engineer of the Dockyard. The weighbridge for the Yard can still be seen at the northern end of the building. The roof catchment, like those of . . . — Map (db m107317) HM
Bermuda, Dockyards (Sandys Parish), Royal Navy Dockyard — Victualling YardCompleted 1853
A Victualling Yard is an essential part of any naval facility. It is the area concerned with the storage, preparation and packaging of food and drink for the Fleet. The Victualling Yard in Bermuda is surrounded by a wall with only two gated . . . — Map (db m107315) HM
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), St. Stephen — A whale of a tale / Historie de cétacé

In the waters off New Brunswick you'll find magnificent creatures of the deep - among them, North Atlantic right whales, humpback whales and finback whales

In New Brunswick, we're proud to live along the beautiful shores of the Bay of . . . — Map (db m106917) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Amherst — Dominion Public Building1935 — Registered Heritage Property

[title is text] — Map (db m107024) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin

[Face] The Acadian village of Beaubassin on this site was founded by settlers from Port Royal around 1672. Upon the arrival of Major Charles Lawrence with British troops in April 1750, the French authorities had the village destroyed in . . . — Map (db m106953) HM

New Brunswick (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Trans Canada Highway

Formal opening of the Nova Scotia portion of the Trans Canada Highway from the New Brunswick border to terminals at Caribou and North Sydney, a distance of 279 miles, took place November 22, 1968, at this point; having been constructed as a . . . — Map (db m106956) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Balmoral Grist Mill

[1.] Water turbines the power that ran the mill

This illustration shows one type of setup for a turbine driven gristmill.

Illustration from "the Red Mill Reborn". Used with permission of 'Lou Robertella, . . . — Map (db m108181) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Local Granite Stone

You can see where some of the rock has been removed to make a millstone

Located at Kennedy Hill, Central New Annan Donated by Mr. William Woodlock — Map (db m108169) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Sutherland Sawmill Turbine

This turbine came from a sawmill located a few hundred yards upstream of our mill

The saw mill was built ca 1886 by brothers James and Alexander Sutherland. Another brother Robert, built a blacksmith shop on the same property. The . . . — Map (db m108182) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Balmoral Mills — Turbines: From Direct to Indirect Power Production

Turbines began to become commonplace in the mid-1800's and had virtually replaced vertical waterwheels by the mid 1860's.

Below are a number of illustrations showing typical mill setups and power transfer.

In 1881 the Schoellkopf Power . . . — Map (db m108183) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Brule Corner — Duncan MacLanders and Johanne Faulkner

Within this iron fence lies Duncan MacLanders 1788 - 1870 and Johanne Faulkner 1788 - 1876

First of the line to leave the shores of Scotland and seek a freer and fuller life in the New World.

Erected by descendants . . . — Map (db m108165) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Tatamagouche — Naval Encounter at Tatamagouche(15th June, 1745)

In this harbour Capt. David Donahew of New England with three armed vessels surprised Lieut. Paul Marin's allied force en route from Annapolis Royal to Louisbourg. He drove them ashore, disheartened the Canadian Indians and prevented the French . . . — Map (db m108133) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Tatamagouche — War Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918

Alexander Henderson • George McIntosh Freeman McLellan • Harry McLellan George Powers • Arthur Rose • William Tattrie Roy Weatherby • George Weatherby Orrin . . . — Map (db m108154) WM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), The Falls — St. Andrew's Presbyterian ChurchThe Falls, Nova Scotia — 1872 - 2002

The land for the church was donated by Mr. John R. Hayman and was contracted to be built for the sum of one thousand, four hundred thirty two dollars. The closing service for St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was held . . . — Map (db m108184) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Centennial of Presbyterian Church Formation in Canada

Legend

This plaque commemorates

The centennial of the formation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1875; The ministry of the Rev. Daniel Cock (1771-1805) of Greenock, Scotland, and the Rev. David Smith (1771-1795) of St. . . . — Map (db m108220) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — First Presbyterian/United Church

Town of Truro Registered Heritage Property

Nova Scotia Provincial Heritage Property — Map (db m108223) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Old Provincial Normal College1877-78

Town of Truro Registered Heritage Property

Nova Scotia Provincial Heritage Property — Map (db m108192) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — The Lumber Jack, circa 1900

The Lumber Jack represents the exciting role Truro has played in development of forestry in Nova Scotia. Truro has always been, and still is today, a centre of forestry activity. The forest industry continues to be the backbone of the local and . . . — Map (db m108243) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Truro Post Office / Le Bureau de Poste de Truro

This building, opened in 1884, was erected to house the Post Office, Customs and Internal Revenue. Designed under the supervision of federal Chief Architect Thomas Fuller, the Truro Post Office was part of a nation-wide programme to house . . . — Map (db m108244) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — War MemorialLest We Forget

Erected by the Citizens of Truro

In Honor of the Men who during The Great War 1914 - 18 nobly upheld the honor of the Empire in France and Flanders and gave their lives that right shall prevail

[World War II] 1939 . . . — Map (db m108214) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Edward Barron Chandler1800 - 1880

Born in Amherst, Chandler was called to the New Brunswick bar in 1823. He represented Westmorland in the legislature (1827-36), was a Legislative Councillor (1836-78) and a member of the Executive Council almost continuously between 1844 and . . . — Map (db m107018) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Former Site of Amherst Post Office1935 - 1976

[Title is text] — Map (db m107022) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Jonathan McCully1809 - 1877

Born in Cumberland County, N. S., McCully practised law in Amherst and was appointed to the Legislative Council of Nova Scotia in 1848 serving as Solicitor General and Government leader in the Council (1860-62). As editor of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m108034) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Robert Barry Dickey1811 - 1903

Born in Amherst, educated at Windsor Academy, and called to the bar in 1834, Dickey practiced law in Amherst and sat in the Legislative Council of Nova Scotia (1858-67). A Father of Confederation, he attended both the Charlottetown and Quebec . . . — Map (db m107017) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — Sir Charles Tupper1821 - 1915

Born at Amherst and educated in medicine, Tupper was elected in 1855 to the Nova Scotia Assembly, becoming Premier in 1864. In alliance with John A. Macdonald, he skilfully manoeuvered unwilling Nova Scotians into Confederation. Having held . . . — Map (db m108038) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Amherst — World Wars Memorial

Erected by Senator and Mrs. Curry in memory of their son Captain Leon Hall Curry and his Brothers in Arms from Cumberland County who gave their lives to their country in the Great German War 1914 - 1918

[Roll of Honored . . . — Map (db m108029) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Beaubassin 1672-1750

This area was the site of the Acadian village of Beaubassin, first known Bourgeois settlement. Raided in 1696 and again in 1703 by a force from Boston under Captain Ben Church. Occupied by French troops in 1746 who travelled on snowshoes in . . . — Map (db m106951) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Fort Lawrence — Un hommage à/A Tribute to Jacob (Jacques) Bourgeois

Fondateur, vers 1672, de Beaubassin premier établissement dans la région de la rivière Missagouèche et initiateur de l'agriculture maraîchère en Acadie

Jacob Bourgeois arriva à Port-Royal en 1641 à titre de chirurgien pour la colonie . . . — Map (db m107012) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Evolution of Pugwash IndustryOur Harbour • Our Heritage

Pugwash sits on top the largest salt deposit in Atlantic Canada. The train tracks, bridges, and wharves that defined the tapestry of the village infrastructure changed significantly over the decades as local industry evolved, including the . . . — Map (db m108068) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Nova Scotia ClayworksOur Harbour • Our Heritage

While lobster boats have filled the local wharves for generations, the community's most unique feature may have been the 130 ft. (39.6m) smoke stack belonging to Nova Scotia Clayworks on the opposite side of the harbour. Started in 1889, the . . . — Map (db m108078) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash HarbourOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The deep harbour of Pugwash has a long and storied seafaring heritage, with many eras of ships carrying lumber and raw materials up and down the Eastern Seaboard.

[Historic Pugwash photos]

"Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only . . . — Map (db m108080) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash Railway StationOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The Pugwash Railway Station, completed in 1892, is one of only two stations designed by Sir Sandford Fleming that is still standing in Nova Scotia. The station is also famous for its part in the 1957 "Thinkers Conference" where Pugwash native . . . — Map (db m108069) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash StreetscapesOur Harbour • Our Heritage

Historically, the main streets were lined with hotels, merchants, and services one would expect of a long-standing port village. The village endured seven devastating fires between 1877 to 1929 that permanently changed the street-scape . . . — Map (db m108083) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Pugwash Train Station 1961Pugwash Heritage

The station was built in 1888. Rail service to Pugwash commenced in 1890 and ceased in 1993. Five miles of track linked Pugwash to the Shortline at Pugwash Junction. The Shortline ran from Pictou to Oxford Junction linking it with the rail . . . — Map (db m108070) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Gathering of the ClansOur Harbour • Our Heritage

All of the community celebrations culminate on Water Street. Canada Day has been celebrated in Pugwash since 1951 with festivities called "The Gathering of the Clans" paying homage to some of its founding settlers. This is also the reason many . . . — Map (db m108076) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Pugwash Conferences and Masonic LodgeOur Harbour • Our Heritage

The Pugwash Conferences on Science & World Affairs

The Pugwash Conferences take their names from the location of the first meeting, held in 1957, in the village of Pugwash, Nova Scotia, birthplace of their host, American philanthropist . . . — Map (db m108075) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — World Wars Memorial1914 - 1918 • 1939 - 1945 — Lest We Forget

[Great War Honored Dead] Douglas Langille • Harold Esty Benjamin Percy Erle Benjamin • William McLean Borden Cecil Raymond Richards • Frederick Elias King Frank Demings • Harry Hector McLellan Andrew Gray McPherson • George Selig . . . — Map (db m108059) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — Saint Matthew's Presbyterian ChurchProvincial Heritage Property

[Title is text] — Map (db m108100) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — St. John's United Church CemeteryWallace — 1810 - 1934

[List of burials] — Map (db m108101) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace — War MemorialLest We Forget

World War I 1914 - 1918 William Baird • James Bathgate • Alexander Craib James Crooks • Kenneth Hape • Charles MacNutt Elmer MacNutt • Wellsley McCann • Daniel Reeves Chester Slack • Harold Slack • Gordon Tingley Renton Fisher • . . . — Map (db m108094) WM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace Bridge — Simon Newcomb1835-1909

Born at Wallace Bridge, Newcomb moved to the United States in 1853. Graduating from Harvard he became Professor of Mathematics in the U.S. Navy and was assigned to the Naval Observatory. He was soon recognized as an authority on mathematical . . . — Map (db m108085) HM

Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Wallace Bridge — Willard Sterling Boyle, C.C.Inventor / Inventeur — Nobel Laureate (Physics, 2009) / Lauréat du prix Nobel (Physique, 2009)

Bill was from Wallace, where his grandfather worked in the quarry and kept the lighthouse. His father was the village doctor until their move to the backwoods of northern Quebec. While there, Bill was home schooled by his mother until age 14, . . . — Map (db m108089) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — A Diverse Fishery

Fishing has been the backbone of Yarmouth's culture and economy for over 200 years. In the early days, salted dried cod was shipped by schooners and barques headed to the West Indies in exchange for rum, molasses and sugar. Today Yarmouth's . . . — Map (db m107349) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — A Footstep into the Harbour

A Footstep into the Harbour The Southwestern shore of Nova Scotia, including Yarmouth County, is home to one of Canada's largest fisheries. For over two hundred years, fishing boats have sailed past this point, as well as from other ports . . . — Map (db m107638) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Ballard [sic - Bollard]

This Ballard [sic - Bollard]

was located on a wharf in Yarmouth in the early 1900's. It's purpose was to tie ships to the wharf. It weighs 450 pounds.

Donated by Mr. Danny MacIsaac — Map (db m107255) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Bell
. . . — Map (db m107256) HM
Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Cape Forchu's Guiding Light

An enduring symbol of Yarmouth's historic and economic ties to the sea, a lighthouse has towered over the rocky headlands of Cape Forchu since 1839, guiding mariners to the safety of Yarmouth Harbour. The current lighthouse was automated in . . . — Map (db m107293) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Cheboque

Cheboque The name "Cheboque" comes from the Mi'kmaw word for "big marshes", a very accurate name for this area. Beginning at Arcadia, the Cheboque salt marsh sprawls 343 hectares (837 acres) alongside the Cheboque River.

According to . . . — Map (db m107735) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Explosive Geology

The amazing geological formations you see along the Leif Ericson Trail, and at Cape Forchu, are the result of ancient volcanoes that erupted approximately 444-429 million years ago during the Silurian and early Devonian periods in Earth's . . . — Map (db m107540) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Harbour of Deception

Harbour of Deception For almost two centuries, Yarmouth's False Harbour has lived up to its name. Located at the end of Cape Forchu, False Harbour's rocky shores have fooled the most experienced and capable of mariners, especially during . . . — Map (db m107719) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — In Dire Need of a Lighthouse

The Town of Yarmouth, and its surrounding area, was settled in 1761 by Planters from Massachusetts. These settlers fished along the coast and harvested lumber from the forests to build homes, businesses and sailing vessels. By the . . . — Map (db m107298) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Lost to the Sea / Perdus en Mer

The year 1879 was a disastrous one for Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, with no fewer than 31 vessels lost along with 106 persons. The ships lost were among the best of the Yarmouth fleet, some carrying valuable cargoes. The loss of life left . . . — Map (db m107392) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — M.V. Bluenose Anchor

This Anchor was donated to Freinds [sic - Friends] of the Yarmouth Light Society, by Bay Ferries. The fluke was broken off, when it got caught in [the] rocks on bottom, while at anchor just off the lighthouse. This anchor came off the . . . — Map (db m107648) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Phare Cap-Forchu / Cape Forchu Lightstation

Balise canadienne Lorsque Samuel de Champlain visita la région en 1604, il la nomma Cap-Fourchu. Un an plus tard, Champlain s'installa à Port-Royal ou, La Cadie, un nom dérivé du nom « L'Arcadie » qu'un explorateur italien aviat donné à . . . — Map (db m107359) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Pieces of the Past

Pieces of the Past Since 1840, a lighthouse has kept watch over Cape Forchu and the approaches of Yarmouth Harbour.

In 1962, the original lighthouse was replaced with the iconic "apple core" structure that towers over the Cape . . . — Map (db m107551) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — The Power of the Sea

Watching the waves crashing around Cape Forchu provides a small glimpse of the awesome and terrifying power of the sea. It continually shapes the lives of those who live and work by it. A source of beauty, bounty and economic prosperity, the . . . — Map (db m107284) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — The Tusket Islands

The Tusket Islands Located south of Yarmouth, the Tusket Islands extend mainly along the coast, from Pinkney's Point to Wedgeport. The Tusket Island chain was once a great asset to the fishing economy of Nova Scotia's Southwestern . . . — Map (db m107652) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Cape Forchu — Welcome to the Leif Ericson Trail

A Yarmouth - Viking Connection? This scenic trail is named after the famous Norse explorer, and son of Eric the Red, Leif Ericson, who may have visited these shores sometime around 1000 AD.

Many scholars regard Leif Ericson as the . . . — Map (db m107487) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and When is Le Village Acadien?Le Village historique acadien, c'est quoi?...c'est quand?

Le Village presents the lifestyle, culture and traditions of the Acadians of Nova Scotia at the turn of the 20th century, approximately 250 years after they first settled in the Pubnico area. This is the longest established Acadian region . . . — Map (db m108266) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — A Bond with the Sea / A Sustaining FaithUn lien avec la mer / Une foi nourrissante

Before You Step Back in Time... Though Le Village historique acadien is a created outdoor museum, it speaks to truths about the overall Acadian experience in Nova Scotia, and to the particular life and times of the Pubnicos in the . . . — Map (db m108272) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Les pionniers acadiens / Acadian PioneersLe Village historique acadien de la Nouvelle-Écosse

Les pionniers acadiens

Pubnico est le plus ancien village acadien encore habité par les descendants des familles fondatrices. Vous trouverez, dans l'annuaire téléphonique, près de 400 personnes du nom d'Entremont. Ils sont les . . . — Map (db m107971) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Recolter la mer / Harvesting the SeaQuai Dennis Point / Dennis Point Wharf

Récolter la mer Vous êtes debout sur l'un des quais de pêche les plus achalandés au Canada.

Autrefois, le hareng était pêché dans des parcs en fascines, ou « nijagans » inventés par les Mi'kmaq. Le poisson entrait dans le . . . — Map (db m108006) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Sieur Phillippe Mius-d'Entremont1609 - 1699

Foundateur de la Baronnie de Pobomcoup (Pubnico) 1653

Founder of the Barony of Pobomcoup (Pubnico) 1653

Don du reveil de Pombcoup Sculpteur - Albert Deveau - Sculptor Aout - 1998 - August Remplace - Replaced Sculpteur - . . . — Map (db m107967) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and Where is Acadie? / L'Acadie, c'est quoi?...c'est ou?

There is not now and never has been a single definition of Acadie, or Acadia. It all depends on the time period and one's point of view.

Back in the 1600s and early 1700s, Acadie was a loosely defined region that more or less . . . — Map (db m108271) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Who are the Acadians? / Qui sont les Acadiens?

Acadians themselves can best answer this question, and our staff looks forward to sharing stories and insights into Acadian history and culture. We are also pleased to share some information on this panel for your reading pleasure.

As . . . — Map (db m108270) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Middle West Pubnico — Dennis PointLiving Wharves / Tchais Vivants

Following the fish While Dennis Point's most valuable fishery is lobster, this wharf is also home to Canada's largest ground fishing fleet. This diverse fishery takes our fishermen (and women) to many special fishing areas.

Going the . . . — Map (db m108001) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Ste. Anne du Ruisseau — Église Ste-Anne ChurchUne foi vivante / Living Faith

Une chapelle fut construite à la Pointe-à-Rocco en 1784. Elle fut utilisée par des Acadiens et des Mi'kmaq de la région jusqu'à ce qu'une église plus grande soit construite sur le site en 1808. À la suite d'un incendie dévastateur en 1900, . . . — Map (db m108513) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 200th Anniversary Commemoration of the "Grand Deportation"Commémoration du Deuxiéme Centenaire du "Grand Dérangement" — 1755 • 1955

[Title is text - Le titre est le texte]

[Dedicated] August 17, 1955. [Dévoué] le 27 août 1955. — Map (db m108371) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 300th Anniversary of the Founding of Pubnico1651 • 1951

A la mémoire de sieur Philippe d'Entremont pionier, colonizateur et fondateur de Pubnico arrivé le 29 août 1651 —————— Pro Deo et Patria . . . — Map (db m108366) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 350th Anniversary Tribute to Acadian Women

Hommage aux femmes courageuses et fortes qui ont formé et nourri notre communauté depuis 350 ans

Le 28 septembre 2003 —————— Tribute to the courageous and strong women who have trained and . . . — Map (db m108393) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Mémorial des guerres mondiales / World Wars Memorial

A la mémoire de ceux de Pubnico qui ont donné leur vie dans les deux guerres mondiales —————— In memory of those of Pubnico who gave their lives in the two World Wars

1914 . . . — Map (db m108394) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Musée acadien et Centre de recherch / Acadian Museum and Research CenterUn musée vivant / Living Museum

Cette propriété familiale qui date des années 1800 a une bonne ossature et elle dégage une énergie extraordinaire. Mais pour sentir le pouls du musée, il faut rencontrer les Acadiens et écouter leurs histoires.

Prenons, par exemple, Simon « . . . — Map (db m108360) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Perdu aux eaux / Lost to the Waters

L'eau de la mer, des lacs et des rivières peut être source de bonheur, de plaisir, de richesses, mais l'eau peut être aussi source d'épreuves, de malheur.

Ce monument veut rappeler la mémoire de ceux et celles qui furent engloutis . . . — Map (db m108397) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Potager Acadien / Acadian Garden

Les plantes dans le jardin sont représentatives de celles disponibles aux Acadiens en 1653. ——————————— Plants in the garden represent those accessible to the Acadians in . . . — Map (db m108362) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Cape Forchu Lighthouse

This replica was created and donated to the citizens of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia from Doug Koohtow, Holland Landing, Ontario May 28, 2014 — Map (db m107869) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Coronation Park

Sophia Killam Caie saw a need, and she was determined to meet it. The north end of town - Milton - needed a recreation ground for sports and games.

Mrs. Caie, along with her husband, Robert, owned a portion of land that was ideally . . . — Map (db m107323) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — East and West Camps, RCAF Station Yarmouth Nova Scotia

This plaque was erected to commemorate all Naval, Army, Air Force and civilian personnel who served at the Yarmouth Air Base in the War of 1939 - 1945 to maintain our democratic freedoms. — Map (db m107738) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — First Yarmouth Mayor and Council

The Town of Yarmouth _ Nova Scotia _ On its 75th anniversary as an incorporated town erects this memorial as a grateful tribute to the vision, devotion and unselfish public service of its First Mayor and Council we of . . . — Map (db m107878) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Frost Park

This park named in honor of Charles Sydney Frost, M.C. Native son who, through diligence and ability, became President of the Bank of Nova Scotia June 14, 1956 — Map (db m107872) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Frost ParkTown of Yarmouth

[Excerpt from Town of Yarmouth informational sign]

Get your bearings Named after Charles Sydney Frost, a Yarmouth resident who became president of the Bank of Nova Scoita, this green space at the heart of the town is the perfect place . . . — Map (db m107960) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Hartlin TrailRobert E. Hartlin — 1936 - 2005

Executive Director Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation It is with great pleasure that the Yarmouth Waterfront Development Corporation dedicates this trail to the memory of Robert E. Hartlin. The "Hartlin Trail" extends . . . — Map (db m107897) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Land TransportationConnecting by Road & Rail

Early transportation in Yarmouth was largely centred on the coast. Gradually, road development linked Yarmouth with the rest of Nova Scotia by land and regular passenger and mail services were established by stage coach. By 1891 railway . . . — Map (db m107313) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Lost to the Sea

Dedicated to the memory of all those residents of Yarmouth County and crew members of ships owned in Yarmouth County who have been lost to the sea We honour those here named as well as those not yet known to us

[Remembered Dead . . . — Map (db m107927) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Lost to the Sea / Perdus en Mer

The year 1879 was a disastrous one for Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia, with no fewer than 31 vessels lost along with 106 persons. The ships lost were among the best of the Yarmouth fleet, some carrying valuable cargoes. The loss of life left . . . — Map (db m107934) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — ManufacturingGoods & Services for the Marketplace

Early manufacturing in Yarmouth grew in support of the shipbuilding industry, the fishery, and the maintenance of vessels engaged in shipping. The flourishing textile industry had its origins in the ability to import inexpensive raw . . . — Map (db m107320) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Sarah CorningShe Lived to Serve Others

It is a long way from the farming community of Chegoggin, Yarmouth County, to a small village at the foot of Mount Ararat, but no journey was too far for Sarah Corning if there were children in need of care. Sarah Corning was born on 16 . . . — Map (db m107902) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — War Memorial

To the men of Yarmouth County who fell An•Dom•MCMXIV-MCMXIX

[Roll of Honored Dead] ————————————— To the glory of God and dedicated to the memory . . . — Map (db m107832) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth — Women Philanthropists

Those Amazing Women The Age of Sail brought a considerable amount of wealth to the port of Yarmouth. There have been many instances in which those who earned these riches undertook projects to benefit the citizens of the area. However, . . . — Map (db m107330) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Yarmouth Bar — Seafaring Sons of Yarmouth County

On this, the site of the first launching in the county, 1764, this monument is erected in proud memory of all the seafaring sons of Yarmouth County who, "going down to the sea in ships," by their outstanding seamanship and . . . — Map (db m107252) HM

Ontario (Chatham-Kent County), Morpeth — The Wilkins Expedition1763
On November 7, 1763 a fleet of small boats carrying nearly 700 officers and men of the 60th and 80th Regiments under Major John Wilkins was forced ashore by a violent storm abut three miles east of this point. The expedition had set out from Niagara . . . — Map (db m108505) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — Jean Nicolet
Born in France about 1598, this explorer, fur trader and interpreter came to Canada in 1608. Under orders from Samuel de Champlain, he spent the following two years with the Algonquins of Allumette Island. He was then sent to the Nipissing Indians . . . — Map (db m107579) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — La Vase Portages
The historic La Vase (Mud) Portages began at the head of the nearby pond. These three portages, connecting Trout Lake and the lower La Vase River, were linked by small navigable streams and ponds. They formed part of the great canoe route via the . . . — Map (db m107582) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — Reverend Silas Huntington1829-1905
A zealous Methodist missionary descended from an early New England family, Huntington was born in Kemptville. With his ordination in 1854 he commenced a long Christian ministry, serving various congregations in eastern Ontario and Quebec until 1882 . . . — Map (db m107571) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), North Bay — The Ontario Northland Railway
In 1900 the Ontario Government ordered a survey for a railway from North Bay to the head of Lake Timiskaming to encourage settlement and provide access to mineral deposits. Construction of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway began in 1902, . . . — Map (db m107572) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Sturgeon Falls — The Founding of Sturgeon Falls
The development of Sturgeon Falls began in 1881 with the arrival of Canadian Pacific Railway constructions teams and the opening of a post office. About a year earlier the community's first permanent settler, James Holditch, had acquired land here . . . — Map (db m107569) HM
Ontario (Nipissing District), Verner — The Reverend Charles Alfred Marie Paradis1848-1926
Born in Kamouraska County, Québec, Paradis studied at Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière College and taught art in Ottawa. Following his ordination in 1881 he was posted to Lake Timiskaming as missionary of the Oblate Congregation. Paradis' travels as a . . . — Map (db m107568) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Schreiber — Japanese-Canadian Road Camps1942-1944
During the Second World War, the federal government forcibly evacuated Canadians of Japanese ancestry from the coast of British Columbia. In the spring of 1942, several hundred young men were sent to Ontario to help build the Trans-Canada Highway. . . . — Map (db m107384) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Schreiber — Sir Collingwood Schreiber1831-1918
This community, originally known as Isbester's Landing, was named in 1885 after Collingwood G. Schreiber. Born at Bradwell Lodge, near Colchester, England, Schreiber emigrated to Canada West in 1852. His training in England as a civil engineer . . . — Map (db m107382) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Terrace Bay — Glacial Terraces
About 20,000 years ago Ontario was covered by a great glacier, the fourth glaciation in this region within the past million years. The meltwaters from these gigantic ice-sheets filled the Lake Superior basin and progressively developed new drainage . . . — Map (db m107567) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — C.D. Howe(1886-1960)
The dynamic "Minister of Everything", Massachusetts-born Clarence Decatur Howe immigrated to Canada in 1908 and established an engineering firm in Port Arthur in 1916. Elected to the House of Commons in 1935, he was a dominate figure in Liberal . . . — Map (db m107352) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Col. Elizabeth Smellie 1884-1968
This celebrated Canadian army nurse and public health authority was born in Port Arthur. In 1909 "Beth" Smellie became night supervisor at McKellar General Hospital. Joining the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps in 1915, she served in France and . . . — Map (db m106976) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Connaught Square
This square was named in 1936 for Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, third son of Queen Victoria. He was serving in Canada with his regiment in 1870, when Colonel Wolseley named Prince Arthur's Landing (later Port Arthur) in his honour. Created Duke . . . — Map (db m107067) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Sir William C. Van Horne1843-1915
Born in Chelsea, Illinois, Van Horne, after a brilliant career with a number of railway companies in the mid-western United States, accepted the position of general manager of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1881. Construction of this pioneer . . . — Map (db m107350) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Terrance Stanley FoxJuly 28, 1958 - June 28, 1981
"Dreams are made if people only try. I believe in miracles... I have to... Because somewhere the hurting must stop." Terry Fox inspired this nation with his dream - his MARATHON OF HOPE - a cross-Canada run to raise money for cancer research. . . . — Map (db m107355) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Terry Fox(1958-1981)
While in remission from cancer, Terry Fox set out to run across Canada in 1980 to raise money for cancer research. Despite having lost his right leg to the disease, this determined athlete ran 5,373 kilometres - nearly a marathon a day for 143 . . . — Map (db m107354) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — The Reverend Richard Baxter, S.J., 1821-1904
Born in Carlisle, England, Baxter came to Canada as a child. He studied in Toronto and at the Sulpician College in Montreal before becoming, reputedly, the first English-speaking Jesuit novice in Canada. After his ordination in New York in 1854, he . . . — Map (db m107065) HM
Ontario (Thunder Bay District), Thunder Bay — Thunder Bay Tourist Pagoda
This tourist kiosk was erected in 1909 to promote Port Arthur's social and economic merits to visitors and investors. Its eye-catching architecture and strategic location reflect civic boosterism and the city's rivalry with nearby Fort William . . . — Map (db m107068) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Juan Opico), San Juan Opico — The San Salvador Volcano Complex
El Complejo del Volcán de San SalvadorUstedes pueden admirar un campo de lava petrificada, producto de la última erupción del Cráter El Boquerón en 1917. Hoy en día, facilita la infiltración del agua en la tierra, alimentando las capas . . . — Map (db m107291) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — 36 — Fünfknopfturm / Five-points Tower
Der Fünfknopfturm war in der zweiten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts ein ungemein beliebtes Motiv, sodass er auch als Hintergrund bei vielen Ansichten erscheint. Der Fünfknopfturm markiert die west-liche Stadtmauer vor dem Waldstetter Bach, . . . — Map (db m108086) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Katharina Czisch
geboren am 7. September 1909 als Katharina Probst in Leer/Ostfriesland gestorben am 21. Januar 1999 in Stuttgart Die Berufsträume ihrer Jugendzeit, den Armen unter den Menschen das Leben zu erleichtern, konnte die Juristin . . . — Map (db m106984) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Marktplatz Nr. 16
1780 erbaut von J.M. Keller für den Posthalter und Kantenwirt Johann Michael von Stahl. Das Haus steht in Wechselwirkung zum gleichzeitig errichteten Postamt. [English translation:] Built in 1780 by J.M. . . . — Map (db m108058) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Schwäbisch Gmünd War Memorial
1914-1918 sind 670 Söhne unserer Stadt Gmünd für Deutschland gefallen 1939-1945 gaben über 1000 Gmünder ihr Leben für die Heimat [English translation:] In 1914-1918 670 sons of the City of . . . — Map (db m108190) HM WM
Germany, Bavaria (Kreis Kitzingen), Prichsenstadt — 1 — Westtor / West GateHistorischer Stadtrundgang / Historical Town Walk
Vorstadttor, auch Obertor, erbaut im Zuge der Mauervollendung von 1584-1587. Die Vorstadt stellte die Erweiterung der ursprünglichen Stadt dar. An der Außenfassade des Tores befinden sich zwei Köpfe der damaligen ansbachischen . . . — Map (db m108057) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipalidad de Amatitlán), Amatitlán — The Bridge of GloryThe Mill Bridge
Puente de la Gloria o del Molino Estructura Colonial del siglo XVI declarado Monumento Nacional Noviembre de 1967 Su restauración responde a la voluntad y responsabilidad de autoridades municipales, conscientes en rescatar para los . . . — Map (db m107479) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Fountain of the Calvary
Pila del Campo Construida en el año del señor de 1660 con el Patrocinio y aporte económico del Alcalde del Muy Noble Ayuntamiento de la Ciudad de Santiago de los caballeros de Goatemala Capitan Don Joseph de Aguilar y Rebolledo En . . . — Map (db m107270) HM
Honduras, Copán (Municipality of Copán Ruinas), Copán Ruinas — Francisco Morazán
Homenaje al General Francisco Morazan Presidente de la Rep. Federal de C.A. ---------- Tercera Gran Cruzada Civica del “Liceo Militar del Norte” Agradecimiento: Juventud Copaneca Sec. de Cultura y Turismo Esc. Nac. de Bellas . . . — Map (db m107222) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Architectonic puzzle: The façade of Tecpan
Rompecabezas arquitectónico: la fachada del Tecpan Durante la construcción de la unidad habitacional Tlatelolco, los arquitectos decidieron desprender la fachada principal del Tecpan, retirándolo por partes. Luego, la volvieron a armar para . . . — Map (db m106932) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Tecpan throughout time
El Tecpan a través del tiempoTras derrotar a los mexicas e inmediatamente después de la toma de Tlatelolco, Hernán Cortés ordenó construir el Tecpan para que fuera la sede del poder Judicial de la Capital de la República de Indios, mismo que . . . — Map (db m106955) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Vicente Riva Palacio
Vicente Riva Palacio 1832 – 1896 Nació en la ciudad de México. Participó en la Revolución de Ayutla y estuvo al frente del Ejército del Centro durante la intervención extranjera. Fue gobernador de los estados de México y Michoacán y . . . — Map (db m106954) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Ajuchitlán — Temple of the Virgin of Guadalupe of Ajuchitlán
Se comenzó este templo el 6 de Sept. de 1964. Parroco P. Javier Sanchez Z. Comite Presidente Fidencio Ferrusca Tesorero Filemon Olvera con los donativos del pueblo de Ajuchitlan, Qro. English translation: Construction began on this . . . — Map (db m108354) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "Antiguo Hospital" — Ruta Cristera
“Antiguo Hospital” Casa donada por Doña Manuela Gómez de la Cortina, antiguo Hospital hasta 1924, albergo a la Escuela Leona Vicario en 1947 y funciono como Casa de la Cultura de 1987 al 23 de julio de 2002. La señorita Manuela . . . — Map (db m108350) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "El Jardín Unión" — Ruta Cristera
“Jardín Unión” La fuente original fue construida en 1877, en este lugar se encontraba la escultura de busto de Cristóbal Colón, hasta el año de 1930. En 1923 se recibió al gobernador José M. Truchuelo, con motivo de la declaración . . . — Map (db m108347) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Gaviota" — Ruta Cristera
“La Gaviota” El inmueble perteneció a Don Amado de la Mota, el comercio se llamó “La Gaviota” en el siglo XIX. Casa habitada por Don Marciano de León Granados, músico, poeta, autor del “Corrido a Colón”, . . . — Map (db m108249) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Palestina"House of J. Jesús Hernández Nieves — Ruta Cristera
“La Palestina” Casa de J. Jesús Hernández Nieves “el mártir de ocotillos”, músico, intelectual en el Movimiento Cristero, muerto en combate, sus restos descansan en la Sacristía de la Parroquia de San Francisco. . . . — Map (db m108167) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Purísima" — Ruta Cristera
“La Purisima” Inscripción en la columna: “1868” Antiguo Camino Real. Sobre el muro del lado Sur se encuentra una columna, que consta de un pedestal y en la terminación una hornacina que guarda una escultura de bulto de . . . — Map (db m108282) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — House of Clemente UgaldeLa Casa de Clemente Ugalde — Ruta Cristera
“Casa Don Clemente Ugalde” Casa de Don Clemente Ugalde, regidor en 1923, fotógrafo de profesión, perseguido durante el movimiento Cristero, en este sitio se guardo la imagen de la Virgen de los Dolores de Soriano entre una de las . . . — Map (db m108170) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Lieutenant Coronel Norberto García — Ruta Cristera
"Teniente Coronel Norberto García" Norberto García, nació en 1906, hijo legítimo del señor José García y de la señora María Dolores de la Vega prósperos comerciantes de esta villa. En 1928, Primer Regidor del Ayuntamiento de Colón y en 1930 . . . — Map (db m108338) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Monument to the Mexican Revolution
* Sufragio efectivo No reelección* Francisco I Madero 20 de noviembre, 1910 Precursores de la Revolucion Aquiles Serdan · Carmen Serdan · Ricardo Flores Magon · Enrique Flores Magon · Antonio I Villareal Combatientes Pascual Orozco · . . . — Map (db m108213) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Norberto García de la Vega90 Años de Colón - Municipio Libre — Colón - Celebrating 90 years as a Free Municipality
Norberto Garcia de la Vega (1906-1937) Nació en Colón en 1906, hijo del señor José García y de la señora María Dolores de la Vega. En 1928, siendo Regidor Primero, se levantó en armas en defensa de la Libertad Religiosa, ocupando el grado de . . . — Map (db m108334) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Temple of San Francisco de Asís
Templo de San Francisco de Asís Inició su construcción en el año de 1700 y se concluyó en 1709 por la orden de Frailes Menores de Michoacán. Es sede parroquial desde el 7 de abril de 1756. Su planta original fue de cruz latina y en 1874 fue . . . — Map (db m108427) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The House of Amado de la Mota — Ruta Cristera
Casa Mota Casa de descanso de Don Amado de la Mota, originario de Tolimanejo (hoy Colón), en 1845 militar y comandante de la Guardia Nacional; amigo del General Tomás Mejía, propietario de la Hacienda del Lobo y sus anexas, benefactor del . . . — Map (db m108231) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Landaverde House — Ruta Cristera
“Casa Landaverde” En 1923, en la Declaración de Colón como Municipio Libre y Soberano, se tomo en este sitio la foto oficial del primer Ayuntamiento Interino, siendo el primer Presidente el C.J. Refugio González, Regidores: . . . — Map (db m108336) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Parish of San Francisco — Ruta Cristera
“Parroquia de San Francisco de Asis” En el año de 1700 comienza la construcción del Templo de San Francisco de Asís, concluido después de 1709. En 1756, se erigió como Parroquia, siendo su primer párroco el Padre José Diana. El . . . — Map (db m108205) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Sanctuary of Soriano
Santuario de Soriano La Construcción de este Santuario se llevó a cabo de marzo de 1880 a marzo de 1912, destinado para el culto a la imagen de la Santísima Virgen, en su advocación de Santa María de los Dolores, fue traída a Soriano por el . . . — Map (db m108401) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Santo Domingo Mission
Misión de Santo Domingo Este edificio se ubica sobre una colina rocosa; su construcción comienza en abril de 1691 y se concluye a mediados de 1704, bajo la administración del misionero fundador del pueblo, el Fraile Dominíco Luís de Guzmán. En . . . — Map (db m108402) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Vero's Handicrafts — Ruta Cristera
Artesanias Vero Verónica Álvarez Aguillón “Todo de Lana” Antigua propiedad de Don Vicente de la Mota y Domicilio del ex Presidente Don Mariano Hernández (1937-1941) English translation: Vero’s Handicrafts Verónica . . . — Map (db m108247) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santa Rosa de Jáuregui — Timoteo Fernández de Jáuregui
Timoteo Fernández de Jáuregui 1804-1884 Propietario de las Haciendas Juriquilla y La Solana. En sus terrenos existía un caserío llamado Santa Rosa al que dotó de fundo legal, según acta de Cabildo del 22 de marzo de 1871. Debido a ello se . . . — Map (db m107656) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santa Rosa Jáuregui — Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
Municipio de Querétaro Presidencia 2009-2012 Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla 1810-2010 Bicentenario de la Independencia H. Ayuntamiento de Querétaro 2009-2012 Septiembre 2010 English translation: . . . — Map (db m107778) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santa Rosa Jáuregui — The History of Santa Rosa Jáuregui
Por superior despacho del 6 de febrero de 1753, el Excelentisímo Señor Virrey de la Nueva España, Don Francisco de Güemes y Horcasitas, Conde de Revillagigedo, concedió su licencia para que en el puesto de Santa Rosa se erigiera la ayuda del . . . — Map (db m107843) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santa Rosa Jáuregui — The President Juárez Walkway and Founding of Santa Rosa Jáuregui
“Paseo Presidente Juarez” Centenario de la Fundacion de Sta. Rosa Jauregui 1872-1972 El Ayuntamiento de Queretaro y las autoridades de la Delegacion de Sta. Rosa Juaregui en el Centenario de su fundación dedican esta placa . . . — Map (db m107840) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Cosío Waterway
Al Sr. D. Francisco G. de Cosio que siendo Gobernador del Estado hizo donación de un surco de agua para beneficio de este barrio. Los vecinos de La Otra Banda le consagran este recuerdo de gratitud. Querétaro Agosto 22 de MDCCCLXXXII . . . — Map (db m107849) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago Querétaro — Chapel of Saint Gregory
Capilla de San GregorioEl Cronista Don José M. Zeláa afirma que este recinto formó parte de la cadena de diez capillas públicas repartidas en los barrios indígenas para su atención espiritual. Durante el memorable Sitio de Querétaro, en 1867, . . . — Map (db m107888) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Ferdinand Bol
hier woonde Ferdinand Bol Schilder 1672 [English translation:] Here lived Ferdinand Bol, the painter, 1672. — Map (db m108605) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Gemeente Amsterdam Stadsarchief / Amsterdam City ArchivesGebouw De Bazel /Bazel Building
Gebouw De Bazel Het gebouw De Bazel is een rijksmonument en vernoemd naar zijn architect K.P.C. de Bazel (1869-1923) Het pand werd gebouwd tussen 1919 en 1926 voor de Nederlandsche Handel-Maatschappij. De NHM was de voorloper van de . . . — Map (db m108314) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Organized Resistance - the Free Groups of Amsterdam
In dit pand werd in september 1944 de Vrije Groepen Amsterdam (VGA) opgericht; een federatie van verzetsgroepen die zich tijdens de oorlog toelegde op de Joodse onderduik.

Lange tijd is onopgemerkt gebleven dat van de verzetsmensen . . . — Map (db m108603) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Haarlem — Het Pietershuis
Pieter Uytenhage, Schepen van Haarlem stichtte in 1558 het Pietershuis. Stichting had als doel: ouderloze jongens uit de behoeftige stand groot te brengen en een ambacht te leren. Pieterhuis gesticht in 1558, herbouwd in . . . — Map (db m108337) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Haarlem — Paterskerk (R.K.) / Church of Our Father (Roman Catholic)
Gewijd aan St. Antonius van Padua. In 1842-1844 gebouwd in zogenaamde waterstaatsstijl. Driebeukige hallekerk met rechthoekig koor. Neo-barok interieur. Architect T.F. Suys. [English translation:] . . . — Map (db m108329) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — F D Stockholms Högskola / Stockholm University
Stockholms högskola bildades 1878; finansierad av privatä och kommunala medel. Öppna föreläsningar hade börjat året innan. År 1904 fick högskolan examensrätt och kunde 1909 flytta in i en egen byggnad, ritad av arkitekt Victor Bodin. . . . — Map (db m107334) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Oxenstiernska Palatset / Oxenstierna Palace
Ätten Oxenstierna ägde sedan gammalt ett område väster om slottet där rikskansler Axel Oxenstierna med hustrun Anna Bååt och barnen bodde i en medeltida byggnad under vistelserna i Stockholm. 1653 uppdrog greve Axel åt arkitekten . . . — Map (db m108488) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — 1047 — Storkyrkans Hus / Cathedral House
Medeltida byggnad, på-och ombyggnad under 1600-talet. Sedan medeltiden boställeshus för Storkykans präster. [English translation:] Medieval building, renovated in the 17th century. Since the Middle Ages, the . . . — Map (db m106933) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — 1049 — Stuténska Huset / The Stuten Building
Medeltida borgarhus ombyggt vid 1600-talets mitt. Den originella fasaden, som tillkom 1780 efter ritningar av stockholmsmurmästaren J.W. Friese, är avsed att vid anblicken från Slottsbacken korrespondera med Storkyrkans östgavel. . . . — Map (db m106915) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Västra Gymnasiehuset / Western High School Building
Här låg "badaregården", en av Stockholms många medeltida badstugor. 1635 donerade drottning Kristinas förmyndarregering denna tomt och granntomten till riksrådet Per Sparre. Tomten var bergig och förblev länge obebyggd. 1 början av . . . — Map (db m107337) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Villa Lusthusporten
Djurgården was originally an enclosed royal hunting ground accessed through various gates. During the 17th century, there was a summer house (Lusthus) here, giving the nearby gate its name (Lusthusporten). In the 19th century, Djurgården . . . — Map (db m106935) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — A Chickasaw PlanterNatchez Trace Parkway
During the early 1800s, a slave-owning planter class including George Colbert’s family, emerged among the Chickasaw. George’s success stemmed from a variety of endeavors. He fought with the Americans against the Shawnee and Creeks, traveled to . . . — Map (db m107261) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Bridging CulturesNatchez Trace Parkway
Here, near the bubbling waters of Buzzard Roost Spring, Levi Colbert (Itawamba Minko, “Bench Chief”) built one of the many inns—called stands—along the Natchez Trace. But it was Colbert’s negotiating and language skills . . . — Map (db m107265) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Chickasaw HospitalityNatchez Trace Parkway
George Colbert's stand sat atop the ridge before you. As one of many inns that dotted the Trace between Nashville and Natchez, it provided travelers with food and lodging. With a Scottish father and Chickasaw mother, George Colbert used his . . . — Map (db m107260) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Safe CrossingNatchez Trace Parkway
In the early 1800s, ferries like the one George Colbert ran near here on the Tennessee River linked segments of the Natchez Trace. Ferries carried people across the river—for a fee. Post riders, Kaintucks, military troops, casual travelers, . . . — Map (db m107258) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Something to Chew onNatchez Trace Parkway
Inns, or stands, provided occasional shelter for travelers along the Natchez Trace. These stands offered flood to eat and food for thought: local news, information, and ideas. The ever-changing mix of diverse populations—whites, American . . . — Map (db m107263) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Trace TravelersNatchez Trace Parkway
Frontier America once walked along the Natchez Trace. The Chickasaw and Choctaw used the Trace for transportation and trade. After 1801, with tribal permission, post riders who rode the Trace connected isolated settlements in Mississippi and . . . — Map (db m107257) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Welcome!Natchez Trace Parkway
The Natchez Trace Parkway is designed to encourage leisurely exploration of the history and beauty of Old Southwest. Here are a few pointers to make your trip more enjoyable. Regulations and Safety Obey posted speed limits. Be alert for . . . — Map (db m107254)
Alabama (Colbert County), Cherokee — Wet, Wild, and Wonderful
Alabama’s Winter Waterfowl The Tennessee River Valley is the winter home for thousands of waterfowl. These birds migrate from across the northern US and Canada down through the center of the continent to the Tennessee River. Careful . . . — Map (db m107253) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — The Challenge / The Response
The Challenge "Will you not help me hasten the day when there shall be no preventable blindness; no little deaf, blind child untaught; no blind man or woman unaided? I appeal to you Lions, you who have sight, your hearing, you who are strong . . . — Map (db m108373) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — The Moon Tree
The Moon Tree was grown from seeds that journeyed to the moon and back aboard Apollo 14 during the period of January 31-February 9, 1971. The seed was germinated by the U.S. Forest Service in Gulfport, Mississippi, and the seedling was presented to . . . — Map (db m108374) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — U. S. Army M60A3 Main Battle Tank
Obtained from Ft. Rucker, AL by American Legion Post No. 31 April 28, 1999

*Weapons: 105 mm rifled cannon. 7.62 mm and .50 caliber machine guns. *Engine: 750 hp. 12 cylinder air-cooled diesel. *Crew-4 men: Weight-107.900 lb.: Speed-30 mph: . . . — Map (db m107646) HM

Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Land-Use and Water Quality
Land-based activities affect water quality and quantity. For that reason, it is important that we make good decisions about our day to day actions.

Dry stacks prevent poultry manure from entering streams. Silt fences prevent erosion from . . . — Map (db m107957) HM

Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — "Hot Pot", Ensley Worksca 1920s
Sometimes called a slag ladle or cinder pot, this relic from U.S. Steel's Ensley Works was used as a part of a eight-car train to move slag from the furnaces to the slag dump. A single car could hold up to 15 tons. Pot manufactured at U.S. . . . — Map (db m107494) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Belcher House1870
. . . — Map (db m107508) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Bessemer Sewer System
The large 54 inch inside diameter pipe was unearthed in 2001 behind the Woodward Golf Course by Bob Hall and the Jefferson County Environmental Services. It was used by the Bessemer sewer system. (Donated by U.S. Pipe & Foundry Company, 2002) — Map (db m107497) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Blower HouseRoupes Valley Iron Co. — 1850's
Built under the supervision of Moses Stroup to supply air blast for Tannerhill Furnace No. 1 (1859), this facility made use of blowing tubs and a large waterwheel. It remained in operation even after Furnace Nos. 2 and 3 were added in 1862 and . . . — Map (db m107498) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Cane Creek School1923
Successor to the first school built in Jefferson County in 1815, this building - of 1923 origins - served the residents of the Beltona Area until 1960. Purchased in 1963 by the Cane Creek Community Club, it was subsequently donated to Tannerhill . . . — Map (db m107503) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Charles Jefferson Stewart House1858
Pioneer home of Charles Jefferson Stewart Sr, 1833-1897 and wife Nancy Rachel Mayhan 1839-1910. Relocated from Abercrombie Community Bibb, County, 1986. A successful farmer the Stewarts had 13 children, all born in this house. Donated by Wendell . . . — Map (db m107502) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Fowler House 
Built near West Blocton, Al in 1860 by Winston Stewart, a local contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler occupied the house from 1928 until their death. Restored as a country School to be a part of the Learning Center in 1978...   Donated by the . . . — Map (db m107995) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — John Wesley Hall Grist Mill & Cotton Gin
The John Wesley Hall Grist Mill & Cotton Gin operated on this site from 1867 to 1931, was successor to one of Alabama's earliest grist mills located a mile west on Mud Creek. Burned during the Civil War, Hall's Mill was moved to this location . . . — Map (db m107515) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Nail House
. . . — Map (db m107509) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Old Country Church1905
This is the old Kimbrell Methodist Church relocated from Kimbrell Community in Jefferson County. After lying idle for 15 years it was donated to the state by J.C. Hassell in 1972. The restoration was made possible through many individual donations . . . — Map (db m107504) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Peel HouseCir. 1888
Built by Dick Honeycutt   Home of Tincey Peel and son, Ermon Peel from 1920 until death of Ermon in 1984... Donated by U.S. Steel in 1985 and moved to this site... — Map (db m107507) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Pioneer Farm BuildingsCirca 1870's
1. Gear House 2. Smoke House 3. Corn Crib 4. Double Pole Barn Donated by Mr. & Mrs. Carthell Kornegay. These buildings were located on the George Stewart Farm in Bibb County and restored in 1975… — Map (db m107513) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Pipe DL & CO 1889
The pipe marked DL & CO 1889 for Dennis Long and Company was unearthed in Cahaba Heights. Dennis Long was a native of Londonderry, Ireland who began the manufacture of cast iron pipe prior to the Civil War in Louisville, Kentucky. Long won and lost . . . — Map (db m107495) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Tapawingo Bridge 1902
This iron truss bridge was used by thousands of Birmingham area residents in the early 1900s while visiting Tapawingo Springs, once a popular swimming spot and tourist location in northeast Jefferson County. The bridge was originally located . . . — Map (db m107514) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — The Collins House1834
Built in the late 1870s near Vernon, Alabama by Edward Francis Collins. Logs were cut from timber on the family farm and hand hewed. The house remained in the Collins family until it was moved to this site in the spring of 1984. It was . . . — Map (db m107501) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Williams HouseCirca 1889
James Monroe "Jim" Williams married Martha Evaline George. Mr. Williams was a farmer and a coal miner at Gray Hill in Bibb County, Alabama. They raised ten children, of which seven were born in this house. Donated by Mrs. Audry . . . — Map (db m107511) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), McCalla — Woodward Post Office 
This was built by Woodward Iron company 1915. Donated for restoration by the Meade Corporation in 1978. — Map (db m107505) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Driven Up The WatersNatchez Trace Parkway
The Trail of Tears led groups of Cherokee up the Tennessee River here. The Cherokee are one of southeastern tribes who were relocated to Oklahoma due to the US Indian removal policy in the 1830s. During removal, most Cherokee went by land, but . . . — Map (db m107267) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Rogersville — Return of a Native
When the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources began a Bald Eagle Restoration Project in 1984, Bald Eagles had not successfully nested in Alabama since 1949. Thanks to these restoration efforts, Bald Eagle populations increased . . . — Map (db m107997) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — A Significant Forest
A Special Place: for People and Birds The forest of Bankhead have been here for many generations, witnessing considerable natural, historical and cultural changes. This area was home to native Americans for many years. The pioneers who live . . . — Map (db m107295) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Birds of North Alabama
Many Kinds of Birds Call North Alabama Home The northern tier of Alabama has several district landforms including the Tennessee River Valley and the southern Cumberland Plateau. The variety of terrain and the large expanse of forest in the . . . — Map (db m107297) HM
Alabama (Lawrence County), Moulton — Explore the Forest
Discover the Incredible Variety of Habitats and Birds in the Bankhead National Forest 1. Walston Ridge Road The road along Walston Ridge provides a variety of forest habitats. Prescribed fire maintains the open oak-pine woodlands. . . . — Map (db m107294) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn WWI Memorial
In memory of The Auburn Men who gave their lives in the World War — Map (db m106948) WM

1594 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1394
Paid Advertisement