Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

310 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 110
 
Franz Grillparzer Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 14, 2017
Franz Grillparzer Marker - Wide View
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Grillparzer1791-1872
War Stammgast im Wirtshaus zum Matschakerhof [English translation:] Was a frequent guest at the Matschakerhof Hotel. — Map (db m108564) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ludwig Hevesi1843-1910
Der aus Ungarn stammende Kunst- und Theaterkritiker sowie Feuilletonist des Fremdenblattes und des Pester Lloyd wohnte zwischen 1875 und 1910 in diesem Haus. Er war einer der einflussreichsten Verfechter und Chronist . . . — Map (db m108512) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Moritz Perles
In diesem Haus befand sich bis März 1938 die Verlagsbuchhandlung Moritz Perles Im Gedenken an alle jüdischen Buchhändler und Verleger Wiens, deren Leben und Existenz nach dem "Anschluss" Österreichs vernichtet wurde, . . . — Map (db m108562) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Peter Altenberg
In diesem Hotel wohnte Peter Altenberg in den Jahren von 1913 bis 1919 ————————— Franz Kafka und Max Brod stiegen hier mehrere male ab Österreichische . . . — Map (db m108429) HM
Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — The Lumber Jack, circa 1900

The Lumber Jack represents the exciting role Truro has played in development of forestry in Nova Scotia. Truro has always been, and still is today, a centre of forestry activity. The forest industry continues to be the backbone of the local and . . . — Map (db m108243) HM

Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Truro — Truro Post Office / Le Bureau de Poste de Truro

This building, opened in 1884, was erected to house the Post Office, Customs and Internal Revenue. Designed under the supervision of federal Chief Architect Thomas Fuller, the Truro Post Office was part of a nation-wide programme to house . . . — Map (db m108244) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and When is Le Village Acadien?Le Village historique acadien, c'est quoi?...c'est quand?

Le Village presents the lifestyle, culture and traditions of the Acadians of Nova Scotia at the turn of the 20th century, approximately 250 years after they first settled in the Pubnico area. This is the longest established Acadian region . . . — Map (db m108266) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — A Bond with the Sea / A Sustaining FaithUn lien avec la mer / Une foi nourrissante

Before You Step Back in Time... Though Le Village historique acadien is a created outdoor museum, it speaks to truths about the overall Acadian experience in Nova Scotia, and to the particular life and times of the Pubnicos in the . . . — Map (db m108272) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — What and Where is Acadie? / L'Acadie, c'est quoi?...c'est ou?

There is not now and never has been a single definition of Acadie, or Acadia. It all depends on the time period and one's point of view.

Back in the 1600s and early 1700s, Acadie was a loosely defined region that more or less . . . — Map (db m108271) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Lower West Pubnico — Who are the Acadians? / Qui sont les Acadiens?

Acadians themselves can best answer this question, and our staff looks forward to sharing stories and insights into Acadian history and culture. We are also pleased to share some information on this panel for your reading pleasure.

As . . . — Map (db m108270) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), Ste. Anne du Ruisseau — Église Ste-Anne ChurchUne foi vivante / Living Faith

Une chapelle fut construite à la Pointe-à-Rocco en 1784. Elle fut utilisée par des Acadiens et des Mi'kmaq de la région jusqu'à ce qu'une église plus grande soit construite sur le site en 1808. À la suite d'un incendie dévastateur en 1900, . . . — Map (db m108513) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 200th Anniversary Commemoration of the "Grand Deportation"Commémoration du Deuxiéme Centenaire du "Grand Dérangement" — 1755 • 1955

[Title is text - Le titre est le texte]

[Dedicated] August 17, 1955. [Dévoué] le 27 août 1955. — Map (db m108371) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 300th Anniversary of the Founding of Pubnico1651 • 1951

A la mémoire de sieur Philippe d'Entremont pionier, colonizateur et fondateur de Pubnico arrivé le 29 août 1651 —————— Pro Deo et Patria . . . — Map (db m108366) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — 350th Anniversary Tribute to Acadian Women

Hommage aux femmes courageuses et fortes qui ont formé et nourri notre communauté depuis 350 ans

Le 28 septembre 2003 —————— Tribute to the courageous and strong women who have trained and . . . — Map (db m108393) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Mémorial des guerres mondiales / World Wars Memorial

A la mémoire de ceux de Pubnico qui ont donné leur vie dans les deux guerres mondiales —————— In memory of those of Pubnico who gave their lives in the two World Wars

1914 . . . — Map (db m108394) WM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Musée acadien et Centre de recherch / Acadian Museum and Research CenterUn musée vivant / Living Museum

Cette propriété familiale qui date des années 1800 a une bonne ossature et elle dégage une énergie extraordinaire. Mais pour sentir le pouls du musée, il faut rencontrer les Acadiens et écouter leurs histoires.

Prenons, par exemple, Simon « . . . — Map (db m108360) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Perdu aux eaux / Lost to the Waters

L'eau de la mer, des lacs et des rivières peut être source de bonheur, de plaisir, de richesses, mais l'eau peut être aussi source d'épreuves, de malheur.

Ce monument veut rappeler la mémoire de ceux et celles qui furent engloutis . . . — Map (db m108397) HM

Nova Scotia (Yarmouth County), West Pubnico — Potager Acadien / Acadian Garden

Les plantes dans le jardin sont représentatives de celles disponibles aux Acadiens en 1653. ——————————— Plants in the garden represent those accessible to the Acadians in . . . — Map (db m108362) HM

Ontario (Chatham-Kent County), Morpeth — The Wilkins Expedition1763
On November 7, 1763 a fleet of small boats carrying nearly 700 officers and men of the 60th and 80th Regiments under Major John Wilkins was forced ashore by a violent storm abut three miles east of this point. The expedition had set out from Niagara . . . — Map (db m108505) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Ajuchitlán — Temple of the Virgin of Guadalupe of Ajuchitlán
Se comenzó este templo el 6 de Sept. de 1964. Parroco P. Javier Sanchez Z. Comite Presidente Fidencio Ferrusca Tesorero Filemon Olvera con los donativos del pueblo de Ajuchitlan, Qro. English translation: Construction began on this . . . — Map (db m108354) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "Antiguo Hospital" — Ruta Cristera
“Antiguo Hospital” Casa donada por Doña Manuela Gómez de la Cortina, antiguo Hospital hasta 1924, albergo a la Escuela Leona Vicario en 1947 y funciono como Casa de la Cultura de 1987 al 23 de julio de 2002. La señorita Manuela . . . — Map (db m108350) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "El Jardín Unión" — Ruta Cristera
“Jardín Unión” La fuente original fue construida en 1877, en este lugar se encontraba la escultura de busto de Cristóbal Colón, hasta el año de 1930. En 1923 se recibió al gobernador José M. Truchuelo, con motivo de la declaración . . . — Map (db m108347) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Gaviota" — Ruta Cristera
“La Gaviota” El inmueble perteneció a Don Amado de la Mota, el comercio se llamó “La Gaviota” en el siglo XIX. Casa habitada por Don Marciano de León Granados, músico, poeta, autor del “Corrido a Colón”, . . . — Map (db m108249) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — "La Purísima" — Ruta Cristera
“La Purisima” Inscripción en la columna: “1868” Antiguo Camino Real. Sobre el muro del lado Sur se encuentra una columna, que consta de un pedestal y en la terminación una hornacina que guarda una escultura de bulto de . . . — Map (db m108282) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Lieutenant Coronel Norberto García — Ruta Cristera
"Teniente Coronel Norberto García" Norberto García, nació en 1906, hijo legítimo del señor José García y de la señora María Dolores de la Vega prósperos comerciantes de esta villa. En 1928, Primer Regidor del Ayuntamiento de Colón y en 1930 . . . — Map (db m108338) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Norberto García de la Vega90 Años de Colón - Municipio Libre — Colón - Celebrating 90 years as a Free Municipality
Norberto Garcia de la Vega (1906-1937) Nació en Colón en 1906, hijo del señor José García y de la señora María Dolores de la Vega. En 1928, siendo Regidor Primero, se levantó en armas en defensa de la Libertad Religiosa, ocupando el grado de . . . — Map (db m108334) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Temple of San Francisco de Asís
Templo de San Francisco de Asís Inició su construcción en el año de 1700 y se concluyó en 1709 por la orden de Frailes Menores de Michoacán. Es sede parroquial desde el 7 de abril de 1756. Su planta original fue de cruz latina y en 1874 fue . . . — Map (db m108427) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The House of Amado de la Mota — Ruta Cristera
Casa Mota Casa de descanso de Don Amado de la Mota, originario de Tolimanejo (hoy Colón), en 1845 militar y comandante de la Guardia Nacional; amigo del General Tomás Mejía, propietario de la Hacienda del Lobo y sus anexas, benefactor del . . . — Map (db m108231) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Landaverde House — Ruta Cristera
“Casa Landaverde” En 1923, en la Declaración de Colón como Municipio Libre y Soberano, se tomo en este sitio la foto oficial del primer Ayuntamiento Interino, siendo el primer Presidente el C.J. Refugio González, Regidores: . . . — Map (db m108336) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Sanctuary of Soriano
Santuario de Soriano La Construcción de este Santuario se llevó a cabo de marzo de 1880 a marzo de 1912, destinado para el culto a la imagen de la Santísima Virgen, en su advocación de Santa María de los Dolores, fue traída a Soriano por el . . . — Map (db m108401) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — The Santo Domingo Mission
Misión de Santo Domingo Este edificio se ubica sobre una colina rocosa; su construcción comienza en abril de 1691 y se concluye a mediados de 1704, bajo la administración del misionero fundador del pueblo, el Fraile Dominíco Luís de Guzmán. En . . . — Map (db m108402) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Colón), Colón — Vero's Handicrafts — Ruta Cristera
Artesanias Vero Verónica Álvarez Aguillón “Todo de Lana” Antigua propiedad de Don Vicente de la Mota y Domicilio del ex Presidente Don Mariano Hernández (1937-1941) English translation: Vero’s Handicrafts Verónica . . . — Map (db m108247) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Gemeente Amsterdam Stadsarchief / Amsterdam City ArchivesGebouw De Bazel /Bazel Building
Gebouw De Bazel Het gebouw De Bazel is een rijksmonument en vernoemd naar zijn architect K.P.C. de Bazel (1869-1923) Het pand werd gebouwd tussen 1919 en 1926 voor de Nederlandsche Handel-Maatschappij. De NHM was de voorloper van de . . . — Map (db m108314) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Haarlem — Het Pietershuis
Pieter Uytenhage, Schepen van Haarlem stichtte in 1558 het Pietershuis. Stichting had als doel: ouderloze jongens uit de behoeftige stand groot te brengen en een ambacht te leren. Pieterhuis gesticht in 1558, herbouwd in . . . — Map (db m108337) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Haarlem — Paterskerk (R.K.) / Church of Our Father (Roman Catholic)
Gewijd aan St. Antonius van Padua. In 1842-1844 gebouwd in zogenaamde waterstaatsstijl. Driebeukige hallekerk met rechthoekig koor. Neo-barok interieur. Architect T.F. Suys. [English translation:] . . . — Map (db m108329) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Oxenstiernska Palatset / Oxenstierna Palace
Ätten Oxenstierna ägde sedan gammalt ett område väster om slottet där rikskansler Axel Oxenstierna med hustrun Anna Bååt och barnen bodde i en medeltida byggnad under vistelserna i Stockholm. 1653 uppdrog greve Axel åt arkitekten . . . — Map (db m108488) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — The Challenge / The Response
The Challenge "Will you not help me hasten the day when there shall be no preventable blindness; no little deaf, blind child untaught; no blind man or woman unaided? I appeal to you Lions, you who have sight, your hearing, you who are strong . . . — Map (db m108373) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Tuscumbia — The Moon Tree
The Moon Tree was grown from seeds that journeyed to the moon and back aboard Apollo 14 during the period of January 31-February 9, 1971. The seed was germinated by the U.S. Forest Service in Gulfport, Mississippi, and the seedling was presented to . . . — Map (db m108374) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Autherine Lucy Foster
First African American to enroll at the University of Alabama following successful litigation under the historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling. She began classes on February 3, 1956; however, after three days of tumultuous demonstrations, . . . — Map (db m108342) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — Stone from Ruins of Old Bank
This Stone Was Taken from Ruins of Old Bank, built at Arkansas Post, 1839. Arkansas Post State Park. Created by Act of Legislature 1929. Introduced by Ballard Deane, Representative, Arkansas County. Act . . . — Map (db m108550) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — The Post of Arkansas
Here on the Grand Prairie you tread on soil laid down over the centuries as the mighty Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers brought down their precious cargoes of silt from the northern uplands. The footprints of many were pressed into this . . . — Map (db m108486) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — The Post under Spain
In 1763 the Post of Arkansas became Spanish territory when, by the Treaty of Paris, the French King ceded Louisiana to Spain. For several years after the transfer, French officers and soldiers remained at Arkansas Post. In 1771 the first . . . — Map (db m108551) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — On they come like an irresistible thunder bolt William Heartsill, sergeant, 2nd Texas Cavalry
The Confederate scouts were alarmed. Looking down river to your right, one exclaimed, "One could hardly see anything in the background but smokestacks." Union soldiers disembarked from their transports. All night, knee deep in mud, they . . . — Map (db m108509) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — American Townsite1805 — 1840Frontier Settlement and Territorial Capitol
In the early 1800's the land in front of you was an important center of trade and government on the edge of the Arkansas River wilderness. Here were the homes, stores, taverns, mills, docks, and busy streets of the Post of Arkansas. This . . . — Map (db m108428) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Edge of Empires
The succession of outposts here, remote from centers of New World empire, symbolized a dream of the imperial age: to connect the Gulf of Mexico to North America's vast interior by the great rivers that drained it. Following British . . . — Map (db m108485) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — First Post of Arkansas1686 — 1700The French Settlement of Henri de Tonti
Spanish Explorer Hernan de Soto passed this way in 1542. Nearly 130 years later Father Marquette, the French missionary and explorer, reached the nearby mouth of the Arkansas. In 1682 Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle, claimed this territory for . . . — Map (db m108407) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — The Arkansas Posts1686 — 1863Two Centuries of Settlement on the Arkansas River
Arkansas Post was not a single fort and trading center. From 1686 until 1863 there were no fewer than seven posts on the Arkansas River between here and the Missişsippi. The flags of five nations flew over them. The 1686 post . . . — Map (db m108464) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — The Colbert RaidApril 17, 1783Arkansas Post in the American Revolution
During the American Revolution, Arkansas Post belonged to the Spanish, allies of the American patriots. In 1783, British partisans led by James Colbert raided the Spanish village and fort here. It was one of the last engagements of the . . . — Map (db m108483) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Where is Fort Hindman?
Standing here in January 1863, you would have seen Confederate Fort Hindman. In what is now the water, the fort stood atop a 25-foot high bluff The fort's cannon could fire a mile up or down the river to protect the breadbasket of Arkansas. The . . . — Map (db m108511) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), St. Charles — J. Deane & Sons Hardware Store
J. Deane and Son was a hardware store that served this area beginning in 1890. During the steamboat era, St. Charles was a thriving river boat community and this was its largest retail outlet. Founded by Joe Deane, who arrived here . . . — Map (db m108563) HM
Arkansas (Ashley County), Hamburg — Ashley County War MemorialsWWI - WWII - Korean - Vietnam
World War I Dedicated to the sons of Ashley County Arkansas Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice For Humanities Defense in the World War 1914 — 1918 _______ {List of the honored . . . — Map (db m108565) WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 891 Post StreetLiterary Landmarks Register
Home of Dashiell Hammett and Sam Spade Dashiell Hammett (1894-1961) lived in this building from 1926 until 1929, when he wrote his first three novels: Red Harvest (1929), The Dain Curse (1929), and The Maltese Falcon . . . — Map (db m108316) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bethany Beach — SC-73 — Shipwreck of the Faithful Steward
The Faithful Steward, bound from Londonderry, Ireland to Philadelphia, ran aground on a shoal September 1, 1785 with 249 passengers aboard. Stormy weather drove the vessel toward shore where it became stranded in 4 fathoms (24 feet) of water within . . . — Map (db m108226) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Rehoboth Beach — SC-238 — History of Lake Comegys and Silver Lake
Lake Comegys and Silver Lake are natural freshwater remnants of receding glaciers from the last Ice Age and are notable for their close proximity to the Atlantic ocean. The Nanticoke Tribe held summer encampments around Silver Lake to gather . . . — Map (db m108375) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — Pablo Beach Post Office
The Pablo Beach Post Office was built in 1903, and used as the post office for the area until 1908. While this building was in use, the town was known as Pablo Beach until 1925 when it was renamed Jacksonville Beach. This building was the first . . . — Map (db m108217) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — Melrose Veterans Memorial
In Memory And Honor Of All Those Who Served The United States Of America In Times Of War And Peace — Map (db m108430) WM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Nuestra Señora de la SoledadOur Lady of Solitude, Church and Hospital
On this site, Spanish colonists built the chapel of Nuestra Señora de la Soledad shortly after 1572. A hospital was attached in 1597, thus becoming the first hospital in the continental United States. In 1687 the chapel was enlarged . . . — Map (db m108377) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Ximenez-Fatio HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca 1798
This property is a significant example of Spanish, British and American architectural influences. The one story kitchen building is as old as the original rectangular two story house. An addition to the house, being used then as a boarding house, . . . — Map (db m108341) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Canova-Prince Murat HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1815
Building patterns were influenced by the royal decree of 1573 to situate buildings and walls along the street edge for defensive purposes. The Prince Murat house is one of the remaining Spanish Colonial buildings and is significant for its . . . — Map (db m108318) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Daytona Beach — 42nd Running Daytona 5002000 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2000 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Jarrett #88 — Map (db m108434) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Daytona Beach — 43rd Running Daytona 5002001 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2001 Daytona 500 Champion Michael Waltrip #15 — Map (db m108433) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Daytona Beach — 55th Running Daytona 5002013 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2013 Daytona 500 Champion Jimmie Johnson #48 — Map (db m108437) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Daytona Beach — 56th Running Daytona 5002014 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2014 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 — Map (db m108436) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Daytona Beach — 57th Running Daytona 5002015 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2015 Daytona 500 Champion Joey Lagano #22 — Map (db m108435) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Daytona Beach — 58th Running Daytona 5002016 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2016 Daytona 500 Champion Denny Hamlin #11 — Map (db m108432) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Daytona Beach — 59th Running Daytona 5002017 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2017 Daytona 500 Champion Kurt Busch #41 — Map (db m108431) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 38th Running Daytona 5001996 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
1996 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Jarrett #88 — Map (db m108452) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 39th Running Daytona 5001997 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
1997 Daytona 500 Champion Jeff Gordon #24 — Map (db m108448) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 40th Running Daytona 5001998 — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
1998 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Earnhardt #3 — Map (db m108445) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 41st Running Daytona 5001999 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
1999 Daytona 500 Champion Jeff Gordon #24 — Map (db m108451) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 44th Running Daytona 5002002 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2002 Daytona 500 Champion Ward Burton #22 — Map (db m108450) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 45th Running Daytona 5002003 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2003 Daytona 500 Champion Michael Waltrip #15 — Map (db m108449) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 46th Running Daytona 5002004 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2004 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Earnhardt Jr #8 — Map (db m108447) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 47th Running Daytona 5002005 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2005 Daytona 500 Champion Jeff Gordon #24 — Map (db m108552) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 48th Running Daytona 5002006 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2006 Daytona 500 Champion Jimmie Johnson #48 — Map (db m108444) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 49th Running Daytona 5002007 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2007 Daytona 500 Champion Kevin Harvick #29 — Map (db m108443) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 50th Running Daytona 5002008 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2008 Daytona 500 Champion Ryan Newman #12 — Map (db m108442) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 51st Running Daytona 5002009 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2009 Daytona 500 Champion Matt Kenseth #17 — Map (db m108441) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 52nd Running Daytona 5002010 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2010 Daytona 500 Champion Jamie McMurray #17 — Map (db m108440) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 53rd Running Daytona 5002011 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2011 Daytona 500 Champion Trevor Bayne #21 — Map (db m108439) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 54th Running Daytona 5002012 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2012 Daytona 500 Champion Matt Kenseth #17 — Map (db m108438) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — A Gifted AthleteJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Jackie Robinson Excelled As An All-Round Athlete. He Demonstrated Exceptional Athletic Ability From An Early Age, Combined With A Fierce Competitive Nature And Will To Win.

Some Have Called Jackie Robinson The Greatest American Athlete, . . . — Map (db m108553) HM

Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Baseball LegendJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
As a gifted UCLA athlete, Jackie Robinson played in all four of the so called major sports. Ironically, he was a star in all except baseball, and yet baseball was the sport that would immortalize him. in 1945, Jackie Robinson played his rookie year . . . — Map (db m108472) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Breaks Major League Baseball Color BarrierJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
In 1945, Jackie Robinson was a Negro League standout in his rookie year with the Kansas City Monarchs, batting .387. While Jackie excelled in the field and base paths he was not considered the best compared to such renowned players as Satchel Paige . . . — Map (db m108473) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Civil Rights PioneerJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Jackie Robinson, A Man Most Noted For His Athletic Skills, As A True Pioneer For Civil Rights In America .While In The Army He Was Court-Martialed For Refusing To Move To The Back Of A Bus In Fort Hood, Texas. He Won Acquittal On All Charges. After . . . — Map (db m108481) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Early BeginningsJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Jack Roosevelt Robinson was born on January 3i, 1919, in Cairo, Georgia, the grandson of a slave and the son of a sharecropper. In 1920, jack's father, Jerry, abandoned his wife, Mallie, and their five children, Edgar, Frank, Mack, Willa Mae, and . . . — Map (db m108480) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Exceptional Athletic AbilityJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Jackie Robinson Demonstrated Exceptional Athletic Ability, A Fierce Competive Nature And A Will To Win. It Has Been Suggested That Jackie Robinson Could Have Mastered Any Game. As A Student At UCLA, Jackie Robinson Became The First Athlete To Win . . . — Map (db m108471) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — First Spring TrainingJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
As Billy Rowe, Chief Photographer For The Pittsburg Courier And Constant Companion During The Robinson’s First Spring Training Related : “When The Royals Were Playing In (Sanford) Florida, Robinson Got A Hit, Stole Second, Went To Third On A . . . — Map (db m108474) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Hall Of FamerJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Jackie Robinson started his major league rookie season at the age of 28 and played 10 seasons from 1947 to 1956. He played in six World Series and is credited with winning the 1955 World Series for the Dodgers. Robinson was named the sport's first . . . — Map (db m108479) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jackie And Rachel Robinson Arrive In Daytona BeachJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
On Thursday February 28, 1946, two weeks after their marriage, Rachel and Jackie boarded an American Airlines propeller flight from Los Angeles to Daytona Beach. The flight’s first stop was at New Orleans and arrived on Friday March 1st about 7:00 . . . — Map (db m108478) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jackie Robinson MemorialRiverwalk And Ball Park Museum
The City Of Daytona Beach In Sincere Appreciation Recognizes The Following Major Contributions For The Jackie Robinson Riverwalk And Ball Park Museum: County Of Volusia ECHO Grant Program The Department Of State Division Of . . . — Map (db m108482) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jackie's First MLB Spring Training GameJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
“When I got home, I felt as though I had won some kind of victory. I had a new opinion of the people in the town (Daytona Beach). I knew of course, that everyone wasn’t pulling for me to make good, but I was sure that the whole world wasn’t . . . — Map (db m108475)
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Sports MemoriesJackie Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Jackie Robinson excelled in all sports. On May 7, 1938, while at Pasadena Junior College, he set a National Junior College record in long jump with a jump of 25 feet 6½ inches. This record was previously held by Jackie’s older brother Mack, who . . . — Map (db m108476) HM
Idaho, Briggs — Tetonia School Bell
This Bell was used at Tetonia School in the North End of Teton Valley. In the valley there were 19 communities with schools before they consolidated to the three towns; Tetonia, Driggs, and Victor. Tetonia town site was laid out and officially . . . — Map (db m108453) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Inkom — 17 — Idaho's 1st Railroad
Through this canyon once puffed the wood-burning locomotives of the narrow-gauge Utah and Northern Railway. Construction, undertaken by a Mormon Co-op, came northward from a junction with the transcontinental line, but stopped in 1874 at . . . — Map (db m108284) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Lava Hot Springs — Furs and farms, fire and floods...... the rise of Lava Hot Springs
(This marker consists of series of photographs and their captions.) The community of Lava Hot Springs is located at a strategic crossroads between the Rockies, the Great Basin, and the West. The year-round availability of natural hot . . . — Map (db m108259) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Lava Hot Springs — Lava Hot Springs' healing waters
(This marker is composed of series of photographs and their captions.) Good for what ails you! Idaho's hot springs have drawn people to them for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Long before indoor plumbing and hot water . . . — Map (db m108255) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Lava Hot Springs — Lead Bell Mining Company
In 1921, William Godfrey and CJ Lundgren registered the Lead Bell Mining Company, Portneuf District with 1,000,000 shares at par value 10 cents. Operated 1925-1938. Sd (sic) Colton, Pres. Drecilla Godfrey, Sec. Wm Godfrey, Mgr. Mined Lead, Zinc, . . . — Map (db m108257) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), McCammon — Location, location, location....
McCammon's mogul (two photos at bottom left) In 1865 William H. Murphy operated a toll bridge on the Portneuf River mainly used by miners traveling from Utah to the Montana goldfields. Murphy and his wife Catherine Scott Murphy . . . — Map (db m108261) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), McCammon — 560 — McCammon Railroad Center
The development of McCammon was closely associated with the transportation industry. William Murphy, in early 1863, built the first toll bridge, and McCammon became the nucleus of the Overland Stage Lines. H.O. Harkness acquired the toll bridge . . . — Map (db m108262) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — 503 — Chief Pocatello
In an era of emigrants, Mormon settlers and the military, Pocatello emerged as a strong leader of the the Hukenduka Shoshone. Born after 1810, Pocatello claimed this area and surrounding territories as his homeland. He soon watched his . . . — Map (db m108286) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — Chief Theater1938 - 1993
The Chief Theater opened on January 5, 1938. Admission to the first show, "Bad Man of Brimstone", was 49 cents. The downtown landmark provided entertainment until it was closed in 1982. The Chief Foundation began work on refurbishing the buildings . . . — Map (db m108307) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — Fort Hall
A registered national historical landmark Indian and trapper trading post established by Nathaniel J. Wyeth in 1834 and sold to Hudson's Bay Company in 1837 It was the vital point on the Oregon and California immigration trails and in establishing . . . — Map (db m108304) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — 289 — Idaho State University
This great institution began here on Sept. 22, 1902, with 4 teachers and 40 students. Originally the Academy of Idaho, it became Idaho Technical Institute in 1915, the Southern Branch of the University of Idaho in 1927, and Idaho State . . . — Map (db m108306) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — Native FoodsChief Pocatello Monument
Shoshone Foods The Shoshone were experts in securing a living from the land around them. They made intense use of the animals and plants available to them, and nothing was wasted. Big Game Traditional foods including . . . — Map (db m108327) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — Old Fort Hall
Fort Hall, Keystone on the Oregon Trail, America's road to destiny, was located 14 miles north of this site. It was dedicated by Nathaniel J. Wyeth, Bostonian, on Aug. 5th 1834. Unable to compete with Hudson's Bay Co., Fort Boise; Wyeth sold the . . . — Map (db m108305) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — Pocatello's LifeChief Pocatello Monument
Chief Pocatello - Born in a Time of Change It is hard to imagine the change Pocatello saw during his lifetime, and the challenges to his people's way of life to which he was forced to respond. Early Life Pocatello was . . . — Map (db m108331) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — Pocatello's Name in WWIIChief Pocatello Monument
Chief Pocatello's memory was honored by giving his name to two fighting vessels in World War II. USS Pocatello Tacoma-Class Frigate Launched October 17, 1943. It was sponsored by Miss Thelma Dixey, Chief Pocatello's . . . — Map (db m108326) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — The City of PocatelloChief Pocatello Monument
Pocatello's origin lies in the railroads an the role they played in westward expansion. In the late-1800's, what would become Pocatello was a rest stop on the Utah and Northern Railroad, which went from Utah to Butte, Montana. In 1882, . . . — Map (db m108325) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Pocatello — The ShoshoneChief Pocatello Monument
Chief Pocatello's People -- The Shoshone The band led by Chief Pocatello were members of the Shoshone tribe. Shoshone territory included most of Idaho, northern Utah, northern Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Central Nevada and in California, in . . . — Map (db m108328) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Blackfoot — 287 — Lava Formations
Molten rock, forced upward for 30 to 50 miles through fissures in the earth, has cooled into the hard lava found here. Continued pressure from below has made great cracks in the contorted surface. This lava solidified only a few thousand . . . — Map (db m108346) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Fort Hall — Fort Hall
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the historic sites act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States . . . — Map (db m108309) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Fort Hall — Newe'm Bo'ai -- "Indian Road"
This area was crossed by many trails used by the ancestors of the Shoshone and Bannock people. Some trails connected hunting and gathering grounds; others marked traditional ceremonial lands of the various Shoshone and Bannock bands. Among the . . . — Map (db m108542) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Fort Hall — Shoshone and Bannock TribesHistory Travels Through Fort Hall
(Three panels are mounted in a kiosk located near the Fort Hall Indian Reservation Museum) Panel 1: Shoshone and Bannock Tribes Before settlers came to this region, Shoshone and Bannock tribal members moved with . . . — Map (db m108545) HM
Idaho (Bingham County), Fort Hall — Shoshone-Bannock Tribes: Beyond the Reservation
The Fort Bridger Treaty of 1868 is among the most important documents created between the U.S. government and the Shoshone-Bannock Tribes. In addition to affirming the establishment of the Fort Hall Reservation, the Fort Bridger Treaty reserved the . . . — Map (db m108541) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Ashton — Teton Mountain RangeLes Trois Teton or , The Three Breasts
John Colter after serving with the Lewis and Clark Expedition journeyed to the Teton Yellowstone Country in 1807, and became the first mountain man to see the Teton Mountain Range. Early fur trappers gathered in the valley at the base of the Teton . . . — Map (db m108571) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Newdale — 345 — Teton Flood
When Teton Dam suddenly was washed away, June 5, 1976, a large reservoir (280 feet deep) was dumped on farms and towns below. Houses floated away and crop land was ruined as water surged into Snake River and American Falls Reservoir, which . . . — Map (db m108351) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Teton — 541 — Teton City Settlers
A group of pioneer men, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, left Mendon, Cache, Utah, April 1883 and traveled to Idaho in search of new homes for their families. The company consisted of Henry Sorenson, John and Niles Peter . . . — Map (db m108349) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — Hitching Post
Several of these hitching posts were connected by cable and located on the east front of the Tabernacle. Early Church attendees would tie their horses to the cable. — Map (db m108348) HM
Idaho (Teton County), Driggs — Fordson Tractor
The Fordson could pull discs and plows that would require at least four mules to pull, and it could work all day. Provided the radiator was continually filled, the fuel replenished, and the water in the air filter take changed. On dry days, mud . . . — Map (db m108454) HM
Idaho (Teton County), Driggs — 139 — Pierre's Hole
Teton Valley was known originally as Pierre's Hole. Rich in beaver, it was a favorite stamping ground for British and American fur traders and trappers between 1819-1840. "Old Pierre" Tevanitagon, an Iroquois Indian fur trapper of the Hudson . . . — Map (db m108457) HM
Idaho (Teton County), Driggs — Pierre's Hole Rendezvous and Battle
Over 325 non-natives were in attendance. American Fur Company with 90 trappers; Rocky Mountain Fur Company with 100 men; several smaller fur companies and numerous free trappers joined 120 lodges of Nez Perce and 80 lodges of Flatheads. Trappers Jim . . . — Map (db m108456) HM
Idaho (Teton County), Tetonia — 225 — John Colter
Discovered this valley in 1808 while exploring the Yellowstone and Upper Snake country in search of beaver. Setting out all by himself with it gun and a 30 pound pack he tried to get the Indians to join in his trapping business. On his way . . . — Map (db m108352) HM
Idaho (Teton County), Tetonia — 315 — Teton Range
Flanked by rock formations more than 2 1/2 billion years old, these 3 granite peaks rose up less than 9 million year (ago), very new as mountains go. They are still rising. Hinged at the base of the ridge before you, a block of rock 40 . . . — Map (db m108353) HM
Kentucky (Pendleton County), Butler — 953 — British Indian Raid
In countermove, 1780, to control northwest, British Capt. Henry Bird with 150 troops and 1000 Indians came from Detroit, by river in June. From here, they marched to Ruddle's and Martin's Station, to the south, captured 470 settlers. Returned here, . . . — Map (db m108265) HM
Louisiana (Pointe Coupee Parish), New Roads — Lejeune, Lejern and How to Say ItFrom Leatherneck, Magazine of the Marines
The common denominator of all Marine Corps virtues is "respect." Therefore, it would, indeed, be difficult, if not impossible to find a Marine, past or present, who has earned our respect more than Lieutenant General John Archer Lejeune, . . . — Map (db m108224) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Slidell — Original Lone Star Republic1810
Panel 1 In 1810 residents of Louisiana's Florida Parishes rose in an armed insurrection and overthrew the Spanish government. Panel 2 The Independent Republic of West Florida existed for 74 days before being forcibly annexed . . . — Map (db m108363) HM
Louisiana (Saint Tammany Parish), Waldheim — Waldheim Church
Built be German Settlers Dedicated September 12, 1875 as BONIFACE CHURCH by The Rev. J.B.A. Ahrens, D.D. Presiding elder, Louisiana District German Mission Conference of East Texas and Louisiana Methodist Episcopal Church, South Services in . . . — Map (db m108345) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 9 — Rockville StationPeerless Rockville
1873 Rockville Station Metropolitan Branch Baltimore and Ohio Railroad ──────────────────────── . . . — Map (db m108317) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville's Pump HouseThe Growth of Rockville's Water and Power Services
The Pump House was built in 1897 under the guidance of Mayor Joseph Reading, the town druggist who was elected on the “Water Works Ticket.” Known as “Rockville Electric Light and Water Works,” it was an important step in the . . . — Map (db m108252) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 4 — Saint Mary's Catholic ChurchPeerless Rockville
1817 Historic Saint Mary's Catholic Church and Cemetery Original cost: $4,000.00 Renovations: 1885   │   1929 1889   │   1981 No. 4 — Map (db m108322) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Typhoid in Rockville
During the 1913-1914 holiday season, 28 cases of typhoid fever were reported in Rockville and three people died. The new U.S. Public Health Service investigated, and identified the town's water system as the problem. Contaminated ground water . . . — Map (db m108254) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Wootton's MillRockville's History in Your Own Backyard
You are standing on the tract of land where Wootton's Mill once stood near Watts Branch stream. The gristmill was constructed and began operations in 1821. The saw and gristmill was powered by an overshot wheel, in which the weight of water . . . — Map (db m108378) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — America's HometownPlymouth — Massachusetts
The Pilgrams landed in Plymouth, America's Hometown, in December 1620. Covering 102 square miles, it is the largest town in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Plymouth's shoreline stretches 37 miles along Cape Cod Bay and with its boundaries lay 365 . . . — Map (db m108370) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — National Day of Mourning
Since, 1970 Native Americans have gathered at noon on Cole's Hill in Plymouth to commemorate a National Day of Mourning on the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. Many Native Amaericans do not celebrate the arrival of the Pilgrams and other European . . . — Map (db m108369) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — BakeryFort Warren-Georges Island — Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area
The rank and financial status of Ft. Warren residents determined the quality of meal they ate. Rations for Union soldiers consisted of fresh beef with potatoes three times a week, salt beef, pork or ham three times a week, and baked beans on Sunday. . . . — Map (db m108118) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Fort Warren
Has been designated a registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the historic sites act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States — Map (db m108117) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Parade GroundFort Warren-Georges Island — Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area
From the beginning, Fort Warren’s heart was the six-acre parade ground. When the Civil War broke out soon after the fort was completed, the area was still covered in construction debris. Newly enlisted Massachusetts regiments cleaned it up as they . . . — Map (db m108116) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Political PrisonersFort Warren-Georges Island — Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area
Among the notable political prisoners confined in these rooms were James Murray Mason and John Slidell, two Confederate envoys to Great Britain. Their arrest on board the British steamer Trent provoked an international incident and nearly brought . . . — Map (db m108115) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Powder Magazine
There were nine magazines within the fort's bastions and fronts during the Civil War, all of the located at the parade ground level. They were lined with wood to prevent a soldier's gun or belt buckle from striking against the granite walls and . . . — Map (db m108114) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — The MessFort Warren-Georges Island — Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area
“An army marches on its stomach,” Napoleon famously said---a statement that held true at Fort Warren. Soon after its construction, two unfinished casemates (bunkers) in Bastion C were equipped with tables and benches and pressed into . . . — Map (db m108113) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — Deputy Albert AndersonMurdered in the Line of Duty August 12, 1917
Shortly after midnight on August 12, 1917, Oakland County Deputy Sheriff Albert Anderson arrived at Nine Mile Road and Woodward Avenue on the interurban railway car. After disembarking, he noticed a suspicious man in front of a nearby business. . . . — Map (db m108384) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — Ferndale Center Building22750 Woodward — established 1929
At the southwest corner is the Ferndale Center Building. Originally named the C.H. Harrison Building, it housed the newly incorporated Ferndale City Hall offices in the 1930's. For many years, this three story building was the tallest structure in . . . — Map (db m108232) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — From a Whisper to a Rallying CryMichigan Legal Milestone
"It's not fair." These were the last anguished words whispered by Vincent Chin as he lay dying, the victim of a hate crime on June 19, 1982. His words became a rallying cry for the Asian American community outraged at the lenient sentences his . . . — Map (db m108319) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — In Memory of Vincent Chin
The State Bar of Michigan 34th Michigan Legal Milestone marker commemorates Ferndale as the birthplace in 1983 of the pan-ethnic Asian American civil and victim's rights movement resulting in the formation of the civil rights organization . . . — Map (db m108321) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Badder Building22801 Woodward — established 1920
At the northwest corner was the first two story brick commercial and office building in Ferndale, home to Leonard's Drugs in the 1920's and McMillan's Drugs in the 1940's. Two well-known businesses, Federal Department Store and Radio City, . . . — Map (db m108287) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Crow's Nest
A Ferndale landmark, the Crow's Nest served as an early traffic signal at this intersection of Nine Mile and Woodward Avenue. The structure was created to hold policemen high above heavy traffic to direct traffic in a safe environment. The Crow's . . . — Map (db m108383) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Inter-Urban Railcar - Detroit United Railway1895-1947
First incorporated in 1917, Ferndale's early development as a streetcar suburb of Detroit resulted in Ferndale having a small downtown and traditional high density development patterns. The streetcar system, with its fond memories, served . . . — Map (db m108386) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Lux Building22800 Woodward — established 1922
Originally built as a one-story building at the NE corner, and later that decade, a second story was added. On July 16, 1988, a stolen '88 Buick ran three red lights on northbound Woodward and broadsided an eastbound Pontiac at E. Nine Mile Rd. The . . . — Map (db m108250) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — The Professional Building22757 Woodward — established 1926
Located at the southwest corner is the Professional Building, which replaced the Aston-Wallace Building during the widening of Woodward and is now located at the south end of the same block. Cunningham's Drug Store opened at this corner in 1931, . . . — Map (db m108277) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 20-30 St. Catherine Street and EduationNatchez Trails
. Eliza Smith, an antebellum "free woman of color," purchased property on St. Catherine Street in the 1850s. Her daughters and their families built new houses on the property in the 1880s.

28 St. Catherine Street (above) was the ca. 1885 home of . . . — Map (db m108276) HM

Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Elmwood Manor
Located here was a two-story, French Creole house, with two-tiered galleries. Although construction may have begun prior to the War of 1812, the house was not completed until 1828. Situated on a large plantation, with Sea Island cotton its . . . — Map (db m108380) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — First Baptist Church of Bay St. Louis
First established as the Elim Baptist Church in 1858, this congregation was dissolved in 1877 and revitalized in April 1896 as First Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. O.D. Bowen. The church moved to this location on Main Street in October . . . — Map (db m108381) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Hancock County Bank
Hancock County Bank opened on October 9, 1899. Weeks later the bank's board of directors purchased this property at the corner of Main Street and South Beach as the site of a new headquarters. Bay St. Louis's first two-story brick building, the . . . — Map (db m108455) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Old Spanish Customs House
On this site stood the "Spanish Customs House," perhaps the oldest structure in Bay St. Louis. The house is believed to have been built by French colonist Hyacinth Caron in 1787. The date of construction is based on an inscription in the . . . — Map (db m108576) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — Our Lady of the Gulf
Established 1847 by Bishop J.J. Chanche, S.S., first Bishop of Natchez. Mother church of Hancock County, third oldest Catholic parish on the Gulf Coast and fifth oldest in Mississippi. — Map (db m108548) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — St. Joseph's Academy
On January 7, 1855, a Catholic parochial school was established on this site by the Sisters of St. Joseph who came to Bay St. Louis from Bourg, France at the request of Reverend Louis Stanislaus Buteux, first pastor of Our Lady of the Gulf Catholic . . . — Map (db m108514) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Bay St. Louis — St. Stanislaus College
Founded 1854, by Brothers of the Sacred Heart. Oldest institution of learning on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. On Beach Boulevard, facing the Gulf, the school became college preparatory in 1923. — Map (db m108379) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Pearlington — Lunar Lander
During the 1960s, this vehicle was used as a trainer by the Apollo astronauts for their moon missions. "The Eagle has landed," said astronaut Neil Armstrong as he and Buzz Aldrin descended in their Lunar Lander onto the lunar surface, . . . — Map (db m108365) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — From the People of Waveland
In appreciation and gratitude to all who gave their time, energy, and money to help us recover from Hurricane Camille. On August 17, 1969 our city was devastated, but those who cared came to her rescue. — Map (db m108426) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Hurricane Katrina2005
Never has there been such a volunteer effort than was shown after Hurricane Katrina on August 29, 2005. We thank all who came to our aid and gave us hope and help after the devastation of this storm. May God Bless. — Map (db m108392) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — Sea Song Plantation
The home of Andrew Jackson, Jr., a nephew and the adopted son of President Jackson, was located here. Jackson and his wife Sarah, who named the plantation, lived here just before the Civil War. The JAcksons sold the property in 1861. The house , . . . — Map (db m108577) HM
Mississippi (Hancock County), Waveland — The "Pirate House"
According to local tradition, the "Pirate House," located here, was built as early as 1802 and was frequented by famed pirate Jean Lafitte and his associates. Later remodeled as a Greek Revival structure, the house is believed to have a secret . . . — Map (db m108459) HM
Mississippi (Washington County), Greenville — Coleman High School
Named for Lizzie W. Coleman, who was principal of the No. 2 Elementary School, Coleman High School was among the first high schools for African- Americans in the Mississippi Delta. The school served as Greenville's main high school for African . . . — Map (db m108567) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Egg Harbor City — All Veterans MemorialEgg Harbor City Cemetery
On this 50th anniversary of the American Legion, we dedicate this plaque to the memory of all veterans who lie here in peace. Rudolph Elmer Post #158 March 15, 1969. — Map (db m108256) WM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Bofor 40 MM Auto CannonShip/Submarine Air Defence
Specifications: Caliber: 40 MM Weight: 6,500 lbs Rate of Fire: 6,500 lbs Rate of Fire: 160 Rounds per Min. Range: 4500 Yards (Tracer Burn Out) Velocity: 2890 ft/sec Warhead: Armor Piercing/High Explosive This weapon could be used as a single gun . . . — Map (db m108415) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Kaiten Type II(Means = Turned Towards Heaven) — WWII Japanese Suicide Human Torpedo
Normal Displacement: 13.4 Tons Maximum Speed: 40 kts Submerged Range: 13.7 miles @ 40 kts, 48 miles @ 20 kts Warhead: 3417 lbs High Explosives Propultion: Hydrogen Peroxide 1500 HP Crew: 2 Dimensions: 54’ – 0” Long, 4’ – 6” . . . — Map (db m108418) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Lark Anti-aircraft Missile
The Lark Anti-aircraft Missile Program began in late 1944, when the U.S. Navy needed a new weapon against the ever more serious Japanese suicide-bomber (Kamikaze) threat. In January 1945, a Lark configuration had been established and requirements . . . — Map (db m108420) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — PBR Mark II River Patrol Boat
Specifications: Hull: Fiberglass Beam: 11’ – 8” Length: 31’ – 11” Weight: 18,000 lbs Speed: 35 knots Engines: Two Detroit V350 Marine Diesel Jet Pumps: Two Jacuzzi’s at 10,000 Gals/Min Armament: Forward – Twin 50 cal. . . . — Map (db m108416) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Polaris A-1 Missle
Prime Contractor: Lockheed Missiles and Space Company Type: Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Diameter: 4’ – 6” Length: 28’ Weight: 28,000 lbs Wing or Fin Span: None Power Plant: Solid Propellant Speed: Hypersonic Range: 1,380 miles . . . — Map (db m108419) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Regulus I SSM-N-8Submarine Launched Surface to Surface Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 56”       Length: 32’ – 2” Weight: 10,311 lbs       Wings: 21’ – 0” Range: 500 Nautical Miles Engines: Ramjet Warhead: 3,000 lbs or a 10 kiloton nuclear device Navigation: Radio controlled by . . . — Map (db m108421) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Seehund(Means = Seal (Sea-Dog)) — WWII German 2 Man Coastal Defense Submarine
Normal Displacement: 14.94 Tons Max Speed: 5.6 kts (Sub), 7.7 kts (Surface) Range: 300 miles @ 7 kts (Surface)             63 miles @ 3 kts (Submerged) Armament: 2 External Loaded 21” Electric Propultion   Diesel (Surface) 60 hp             . . . — Map (db m108417) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Still on Patrol
U.S. Navy submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. Submarines still on “patrol.” Albacore • Amberjack • Argonaut • Barbel • Bonefish • Bullhead • Capelin . . . — Map (db m108413) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Talos SAM-N-6Ship Launched Surface to Air Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 28” Length: 19’-2” Weight: 2,700 lbs Wings: 9’-2” Range: 65 Miles Engines: Ramjet Warhead: Conventional 300 lbs - Nuclear Navigation: Radio Controlled Booster: 2,950 lbs of Thrust Solid Fuel First . . . — Map (db m108423) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Terrier SAM-N-7Ship Launched Surface to Air Missile
Specifications: Diameter: 12” Length: 27 ft Weight: 3000 lbs Wings: 47” Range: 15 Miles – Ceiling of 10 Miles Warhead: 218 lbs Navigation: Radio Controlled Speed: Mach 1.8 Booster: 1,290 lbs of Thrust The Terrier Missile was . . . — Map (db m108422) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — U.S.S. Ling
Launched August 15, 1943 Commissioned – June 8, 1945 – Boston Sponsor Mrs. Edward J. Foy First Captain – Commander G. G. Molumphy — Map (db m108414) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Hackensack — Underwater MK16 Mine
This type of mine was deployed from surface ships and submarines. The larger round section of the mine contains 600 lbs of cast TNT. When the enemy ship moves near the mine, the smaller float makes contact and sets off the detonator. The main . . . — Map (db m108424) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Oradell — Hagler’s Diner
Hagler's Diner 1928-2015 At this site stood Oradell's first diner, a legendary local hangout for working men and women that was owned and operated by the Hagler Family for approximately 85 years. Erected in 1928, the diner was a brick . . . — Map (db m108274) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Japanese Garden on Mirror Lake
Was originally conceived in 1970 with construction being completed in 1972. The purpose was to create a place of beauty and tranquility as well as commemorate the sister city relationship between Buffalo and Kanazawa, Japan.

In 1996 the garden . . . — Map (db m108503) HM

New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — John Brooks Henderson
Brig Gen Mo State Militia, Civil War 1826 1913.

US Senator from Missouri, Sponsor of 13th amendment outlawing slavery in 1864. — Map (db m108258) HM

New York (Monroe County), Churchville — Riga
First known as West Pulteney after Sir William Pulteney, Bath, England. Early land owner: renamed in honor of Riga, Latvia on April 8, 1808

Berkshire, Mass. Pioneers included Richard, Elihu and Samuel Church, who gave their name to Churchville . . . — Map (db m108501) HM

New York (Monroe County), Scottsville — First House
West of Genesee River built 1700 feet due south, home of “Indian” Allen, 1786, and Peter Sheffer, settler, 1789 — Map (db m108507) HM
New York (Nassau County), Massapequa — Massapequa Manor
1836 20 room mansion, boat house, polo field, race track. Owned by 3 generations Jones/Floyd-Jones family. Purchased by R. Corroon 1920. Razed by fire 1952 — Map (db m108312) HM
New York (Nassau County), Massapequa Park — Woodcastle Hotel
C. 1870 summer resort est. by French and German settlers. Board $5.00 - $7.00 per week Active until early 1900's. Building here until 1953 — Map (db m108300) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 307th Infantry AEF
To the dead of the 307th Infantry Regiment AEF 590 officers and men 1917-1919 — Map (db m108299) WM
New York (New York County), New York — City Employees War Memorial
Front In commemoration of the heroism and sacrifices of the City Employees who fought in the various wars of the United States Rear Presented by Mrs. Charles Augustine Robinson National Flag-lady of the Veterans of Foreign Wars . . . — Map (db m108303) WM
New York (New York County), New York — Columbus
Presented by citizens of New York In commemoration of the four hundredth anniversary of the discovery of the New World October 1492 — Map (db m108292) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Hallett Nature Sanctuary
When Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux designed Central Park in 1858, they left relatively untouched the rocky Promontory on the north edge of the swamp which was to be transformed into the Pond. The four-acre woodland was formally closed to . . . — Map (db m108239) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Knights of Pythias Memorial
To our valiant brothers who died In the service of our country In World WarI Knights of Pythias - State of New York Sidney A Schwartz 60th Infantry, Machine Co. Triange Lodge #153 Morris Dickstein 4th Infantry, Co. C Cosmopolitan Lodge . . . — Map (db m108302) WM
New York (New York County), New York — Lehman GatesTisch Zoo - Central Park
This striking gateway, designed by Edward Coe Embury (1906 -1990) with sculpture by Paul Manship (1885-1966), was created as part of Central Park’s children’s zoo which opened in 1961.  The zoo was first known as the Lehman Zoo for Children, as . . . — Map (db m108320) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Robert Burns Statue
This statue of Scottish national poet Robert Burns (1759–1796), companion to the 1872 Sir Walter Scott (1771–1832) sculpture across Literary Walk, is by Sir John Steell (1804–1891), and was dedicated in 1880. Burns was born . . . — Map (db m108324) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Rutherford Place305 Second Avenue
Beth Israel Medical Center purchased Manhattan General Hospital in 1964 and established a comprehensive alcohol and drug treatment facility to ease a problem plaguing New York City. Winthrop D. Chamberlin and Barnet L. Liberman purchased the . . . — Map (db m108508) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Sir Walter Scott
This larger-than-life-sized bronze portrait of Scottish novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott (1771–1832) was dedicated on the “Literary Walk” in Central Park in 1872. Scott was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and had an early . . . — Map (db m108323) HM
New York (New York County), New York — W.T. Stead1849 – 1912
This tribute to the memory of a journalist of worldwide reknown is erected by American friends and admirers. He met death aboard the Titanic April 15, 1912 and is numbered amongst those who dying nobly enabled others to live. Finis Coronat Opus . . . — Map (db m108212) HM
New York (New York County), New York — William John Liebig
These American elms are endowed in loving memory of William John Liebig March 24, 1923 – February 21, 1999 Pioneer in arterial medicine — Map (db m108298)
New York (New York County), New York — William Shakespeare
Erected by citizens of New York April 23 1864 The three hundredth anniversary of the birth of Shakespeare — Map (db m108285) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — "Factory Gulf"
Founded by Amos Miner circa 1805 Carding and fulling factory woolen and clothing works "accelerated wheel heads" — Map (db m108496) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Sherwood Inn
Site of the old Sherwood Inn built about 1800 — Map (db m108500) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — St. John's Beach
Bishop Frederic Cammerhoff and David Zeisberger, Moravian missionaries, built the first Skaneateles shelter on this site June 1750

Historic Marker Skaneateles 1999 — Map (db m108498) HM

New York (Onondaga County), Skaneateles — Steeple Bell
Installed circa 1874 Spafford Union Meeting House 1838-1976 — Map (db m108494) HM

310 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 110
Paid Advertisement