Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

314 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 114
 
Wideview of The Cave and Basin Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, September 16, 2017
Wideview of The Cave and Basin Marker
Alberta, Banff — The Cave and Basin
The Cave and Basin Springs were brought to public attention after being located by CPR construction workers in 1883. These and the Upper Hot Springs soon drew private entrepreneurs and tourists. Growing support for public ownership prompted the . . . — Map (db m108877) HM
Alberta, Castle Junction — Castle CampInternment in Banff National Park
End of the Road On the night of July 14, 1915 sixty prisoners were marshalled off a Canadian Pacific train just west of here and escorted to a barbed wire compound at the end of the unfinished Banff–Laggan (now Lake Louise) road. . . . — Map (db m109003) HM
Alberta, Jasper — Arthur Oliver Wheeler(1860-1945)
A preeminent topographical surveyor, Wheeler represented British Columbia on the commission which located and marked the boundary with Alberta between 1913 and 1925. His party surveyed and mapped the 1000 km-long mountain section, using photographs . . . — Map (db m108876) HM
Germany, Hessen (Landkreis Offenbach), Heusenstamm — Schloss Heusenstamm / Heusenstamm Palace
Das Schloss wurde 1663-1668 von Philipp Erwein von Schönborn erbaut und diente bis 1801 den Grafen von Schönborn als Residenz. Über der Toreinfahrt ist das Allianzwappen der Schönborn/ Greiffenclau zu sehen. Die Schreckfratze und die . . . — Map (db m108864) HM
Guatemala, Chimaltenango (Municipality of Tecpán Guatemala), Tecpán Guatemala — The Sociopolitical Organization of Mayan Social Classes
Este marcador está hecho de cinco paneles bajo un techo. La Organización Sociopolítica y Las Clases Sociales: Los Señores La sociedad Kaqchikel, como la K'iche, era muy estratificada, jerarquizada y muy militarizada a la víspera de . . . — Map (db m109090) HM
Ireland, Connacht (County Galway), Inishmore, Aran Islands — Dún Aonghus
This, one of the finest prehistoric fortresses in Western Europe, consists of three dry-stone ramparts, and the remains of a fourth, the outermost of which encloses an area of 11 acres. Outside the second rampart there is a 30 foot band of . . . — Map (db m109137) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Mansion at Paseo de la Reforma 483
Paseo de la Reforma 483 La casona fue construida en 1929 por el empresario inglés sir Patrick O'hey para su esposa y fue ocupada durante varios años como casa habitación. Es estilo neogótico ecléctico y su fachada está revestida de cantera . . . — Map (db m109066) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Luis de la Paz), Mineral de Pozos — Aqueduct
AcueductoUno de los elementos fundamentales para el desarrollo de cualquier civilización, sea grande o pequeña, es el agua. Su aprovechamiento requirió de la creación y perfeccionamiento de diversos métodos de distribución, de los cuales el más . . . — Map (db m109063) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Luis de la Paz), Mineral de Pozos — J. Encarnación Olguín and Juana Lucio
Centenario de la Revolución Mineral de Pozos, Gto. 23 May. 1914 23 May. 2014 Coronel del Ejército Constitucionalista J. Encarnación Olguín y Juana Lucia "Juana Gallo" English translation: Centennial of the Revolution Mineral . . . — Map (db m108867) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Luis de la Paz), Mineral de Pozos — The Model SchoolAntigua Escuela Modelo
Antigua Escuela Modelo Las Escuelas Modelo eran una propuesta innovadora que incluía la construcción de edificios y su equipamiento, de tal forma que facilitaran la aplicación de las nuevas propuestas pedagógicas promovidas por el Porfiriato. . . . — Map (db m109061) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of San Juan del Río), San Juan del Río — The Children Heroes of the Battle of Chapultepec
Heroico Colegio Militar por el honor de México 1846-1847 Teniente Juan de la Barrera · Cadete Juan Escutia · Cadete Agustin Melgar · Cadete Francisco Marquez · Cadete Vicente Suarez · Cadete Fernando Montes de Oca English translation: . . . — Map (db m109148) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of San Juan del Río), San Juan del Río — The Royal Inland Road in San Juan del RíoEl Camino Real de Tierra Adentro en San Juan del Río
"El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro" Camino de la Plata Era el vínculo entre la Ciudad de México y la villa de Santa Fe, en la norteña provincia de Nuevo México, adentrándose hacia el norte en la "tierra ignota" donde las rancherías eran . . . — Map (db m109156) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Borough of Camden — Sir John Barbirolli C.H.
Conductor Laureate Hallé Orchestra Sir John Barbirolli C.H. 1899-1970 lived here — Map (db m109139) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Borough of Camden — Site of Bombing Raid of September 24th, 1917
24th September 1917 13 people were killed and 22 injured near this spot on the steps of the old Bedford Hotel by a 112 lb bomb dropped by a Gotha in one of Londons first night air raids — Map (db m109121) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Borough of Camden — The Queens Larder
The earliest official reference to the tavern now known as The Queen's Larder is contained in a deed drawn up in 1710 when Sir Nathaniel Curzon let the house to a London Stationer named Matthew Allam. The mortgage was transferred during the . . . — Map (db m109117) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Anthony Trollope(1815-1882)
Novelist Lived Here — Map (db m109080) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Benedict Arnold
Major General Benedict Arnold American Patriot resided here from 1796 until his death June 14, 1801 — Map (db m109141) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — David Bowie1947-2016 — BBC Music Day
His albums Hunky Dory and The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust, and the iconic single Space Oddity were recorded here at Trident Studios Awarded by BBC Radio London — Map (db m109081) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Dr. Joseph Rogers1821-1889
Dr. Joseph Rogers Health Care Reformer lived here — Map (db m109140) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — George Frideric Handel1685-1759
Composer lived in this house from 1723 and died here — Map (db m109064) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Ho Chi Minh1890-1969
Founder of Modern Vietnam worked in 1913 at the Carlton Hotel which stood on this site — Map (db m109068) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Ivor Novello1893-1951
Composer and Actor Manager lived and died in a flat on the top floor of this building — Map (db m109088) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Jimi Hendrix1942-1970
Guitarist and Songwriter lived here 1968-1969 — Map (db m109060) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Lennon1940-1980
Musician and Songwriter lived here in 1968 — Map (db m109067) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Karl Marx1818-1883
lived here 1851-56 — Map (db m109135) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Keith Moon1946-1978 — City of Westminster
Legendary Rock Drummer with 'The Who' Performed here at the site of The Marquee Club in the 1960s — Map (db m109130) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Reith1889-1971
First Director-General of the BBC lived here 1924-1930 — Map (db m109110) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir John Gielgud1904 - 2000
Actor and Director lived here 1945-1976 — Map (db m109107) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Thomas Peirson Frank1881-1951 — City of Westminster
Chief Engineer for London County Council 1930-1946 Saved London from drowning during The Blitz — Map (db m109116) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — T.E. Lawrence
"Lawrence of Arabia" 1888 - 1935 lived here — Map (db m109104) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The 2i's Coffee BarCity of Westminster
Site of the 2i's Coffee Bar (1956-1970) Birthplace of British Rock 'n Roll and the popular music industry — Map (db m109123) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Audley
The Audley name can be found associated with kings & nobility throughout English history. 1127 Henry I restored a knighthood on his son-in-law Geoffrey of Anjou. Geoffrey's grandson William Longspree (illegitimate son of Henry II), the . . . — Map (db m109093) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Bee GeesCity of Westminster
Barry, Robin & Maurice Gibb composed and stayed here 1968-1980 — Map (db m109097) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Buxton Memorial
The Buxton Memorial was erected to commemorate the emancipation of slaves following the 1833 Slavery Abolition Act. The memorial was donated by Charles Buxton MP in memory of his father, Sir Thomas Foxwell Buxton, and those associated with him . . . — Map (db m109084) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Tony Ray-JonesWestminster City Council
Photographer 1941-1972 lived and worked here — Map (db m109147) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — W.T. Stead1849-1912 — City of Westminster
Journalist and Reformer of great renown lived here 1904-1912 — Map (db m109115) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — William Wilkie Collins
William Wilkie Collins 1824-1889 Novelist lived here — Map (db m109143) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
In a house on this site in 1764-5 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 1756-1791 lived, played and composed — Map (db m109057) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Ziggy Stardust1972
This marks the location of the cover photograph for the iconic David Bowie album 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' — Map (db m109059) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Early Explorer
This monument honors Major John Wesley Powell, the leader of the first documented expedition through Grand Canyon. Imagine entering the depths of Grand Canyon down a roaring, not-yet-charted river, not knowing whether you will emerge. Because . . . — Map (db m108883) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon National Park — Orphan Mine
Something unexpected once stood on the rim in front of you. A steel headframe towered over a mineshaft that dropped 1,500 feet (460 m) to one of the richest uranium mines in the United States. From 1956 to 1969, miners extracted ton after ton of . . . — Map (db m108885) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Rest House
Your visit and rest here is part of a long tradition started in 1914 with the opening of Hermits Rest. After an 8-mile (13 km) buggy ride, you would be greeted by the resident caretaker and offered a refreshing drink to clear the dust from your . . . — Map (db m108881) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Historic Audrey Shaft HeadframeLittle Daisy Mine
Largest wooden headframe still standing in Arizona, it was completed in 1918 to haul ore up from mine. Shaft is 1900 feet deep, concrete lined with cross tunnels every 100 feet to Edith shaft. Edith shaft headframe was completed in 1915 to haul men . . . — Map (db m108834) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — Jerome, ArizonaIncorporated March 8, 1899
Jerome is perched on the side of Cleapatra Hill over rich ore deposits. In 1876, mining claims and a mill were located near the town. These claims were purchased in 1882 by the United Verde Company, and the tent camp was named Jerome after Eugene . . . — Map (db m108878) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Jerome — The Audrey Shaft and UVX Operations
State-of-the-art Audrey shaft and headframe was the largest facility of its kind built by the United Verde Extension (UVX) Company during its years of operation. The shaft was constructed in 1918 only after the location of an extraordinarily rich . . . — Map (db m108833) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Democratic Architecture / Usonian Characteristics

The word "Usonian" was derived from an abbreviation of "United States of North America." Frank Lloyd Wright embraced this term as the name for a distinct American and democratic style of residential architecture he developed during the Great . . . — Map (db m108874) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Frank Lloyd Wright / Architectural Value

"Everything that's ever going to be of use to you—in architecture or in life or anywhere you go or whatever you do—is going to be nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) lived during a period . . . — Map (db m108873) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Frisco Depot

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m108880) HM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Integrating With Nature / The Journey

In 1953 Gloria and Abraham Wilson wrote to Frank Lloyd Wright to commission a home.

Gloria's brother, Marvin Bachman, had been one of Wright's apprentices, and the couple hoped that using both their last names might help them secure the . . . — Map (db m108879) HM

Arkansas (Garland County), Avant — Communities of the Upper Ouachita River Valley
Many small towns once existed in the area now covered by Lake Ouachita. Settlers first came to the upper Ouachita River valley in the decades prior to the Civil Way to establish homes, farms and businesses, creating communities such as Cedar Glades . . . — Map (db m108929) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Flags over Fort Curtis
When the Union army built Fort Curtis in 1862, the 34-star flag flew over the fort. The day the Battle of Helena was fought, July 4, 1863, the 35-star flag became the official U.S. flag. The new star represented West Virginia, admitted to the . . . — Map (db m109134) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — General Patrick Cleburne — A Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
"I am with the South in life or death, in victory or defeat."       Patrick Cleburne, May 1861 A Brilliant and Beloved Commander Patrick Cleburne was a brilliant military tactician and one of the . . . — Map (db m109146) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Patrick Cleburne in Helena — A Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
Patrick Cleburne found a home, friends and a profession in Helena. When the Civil War began, he supported his adopted state, writing to his brother, Richard, "I am with Arkansas in weal and woe." Map (db m109144) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Phillips County's Confederate Soldiers — A Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
Quick to Volunteer Between 1861 and 1865, several hundred men— one-third of the able-bodied men in Phillips County — joined the Confederate army. Most enlisted in the opening weeks of the Civil War. The volunteers joined . . . — Map (db m109136) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The GunsSeven large guns, or cannons, protected Fort Curtis
The muzzles of six 24-pounders and one 32-pounder extended over the fort walls. The "pounder" designation meant that the cannon fired 24 or 32-pound balls respectively. These large guns were usually found at coastal forts, where they provided . . . — Map (db m109133) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Irish Immigrant — A Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
Patrick Ronayne Cleburne, the son of Dr. Joseph and Mary Anne Ronayne Cleburne, was born March 17, 1828. At the age of twenty-one he immigrated to the United States. He settled in Helena in 1850. The Son of . . . — Map (db m109138) HM
California (Butte County), Chico — 329 — Rancho Del Arroyo Chico
A vast expanse covering 26,000 acres, Rancho Chico was purchased in 1849-50 by John Bidwell. In 1865 he began construction of the mansion nearby, which in time became the social and cultural center of the upper Sacramento Valley. It was through his . . . — Map (db m108748) HM
California (Imperial County), Holtville — Imperial Valley Swiss Club
From their arrival in Fall, 1901, Swiss and their "Americans of Swiss Descent" have contributed greatly to the ethnic diversity of this valley. Their Schwingfests since 1921 and this club since 1924 have celebrated both their ancestral traditions . . . — Map (db m108846) HM
California (Kern County), Grapevine — 133 — Sebastian Indian Reservation
The Sebastian or Tejon Indian Reservation (headquarters 10 miles east of here) was established in 1853 by Gen. Edward Fitzgerald Beale as one of several California Reservations. The number of Indians quartered here varied from 500 to 2000. General . . . — Map (db m108915) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Andres Pico Adobe
Spanish-Mexican Period Declared Historic Cultural Monument No. 7 by the Cultural Heritage Board Municipal Art Department City Of Los AngelesMap (db m108953) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Edward A. DeVore, Jr.
Front Medal of Honor Edward A. DeVore, Jr. Specialist Four, United States Army, June 15, 1947-March 18, 1968. Dedicated to the memory and honor of Specialist DeVore and all who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of our . . . — Map (db m109065) WM
California (Merced County), Atwater — A Comrade’s Tribute to Brig. Gen. Frederick W. Castle A.A.F.1908-1944
The heart is torn of late by the almost daily reports of heroes killed in action: Bottcher, Preddy, and now Castle. They all seem to have been made from a knightly stamp. Gallant and chivalrous men whom the Gods themselves will welcome. Brig. Gen. . . . — Map (db m108918) WM
California (Merced County), Atwater — Castle Memorial Parade Ground
Dedicated to those airmen from Castle Air Force Base who gave their lives in the service of the United States of America. — Map (db m108919) WM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — Coachella Valley RecipientsCongressional Medal of Honor Recipients — United States of America
“For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty..” Colonel Mitchell Paige, U.S. Marine Corps, October 26, 1942 • Hospital Corpsman First Class Robert E. Bush, U.S. Navy, May 2, 1945 • . . . — Map (db m108612) WM
California (San Bernardino County), Barstow — Calico Mountain MinesMining the Mojave
April 6, 1881, S.C. Warden, Hues Thomas and John C. King located claims on Calico Mountain and named it the Silver King Mine. Below there, the town of Calico grew from 100 people in the spring of 1882 to over 1,200 at the peak of the rush. . . . — Map (db m108837) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Ocean View — SC-213 — Ocean View Presbyterian Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the late 17th century when this area was settled by people seeking religious freedom and economic opportunity. Many were persons of Welsh, French, and Scottish descent who subscribed to the Protestant . . . — Map (db m108849) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 16 — Building a Better NeighborhoodRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Front Across the street you can see the Marie H. Reed Community Learning Center. It opened in 1977 on the former sites of Morgan Community School and Happy Hollow Playground. Both the Adams and Morgan elementary schools became . . . — Map (db m109113) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 18 — The Artistic LifeRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Front The lively scene around you began with an arts movement in the 1950s. Musicians, dancers, and artists found centrally located 18th Street attractive as declining rents made it affordable. Early on, jazz guitarist Charlie Byrd . . . — Map (db m109111) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 17 — Urban Renewal EraRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Front The charming Victorian rowhouses you see along 18th Street are an Adams Morgan signature. But they were nearly lost in the 1960s in the name of progress. During World War II, thousands flooded Washington to work for the . . . — Map (db m109112) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — DC8 — You are in the "Strivers' Section"Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
FRONT Top right Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing . . . — Map (db m109114) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Turbulence and ChangeThe '50s and '60s
On May 17, 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court made its historic decision in Brown vs. Board of Education to end segregation in public schools. One of the lawsuits that made up this decision involved the DC schools, and the following September, . . . — Map (db m109109) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Totten — WOOK-TV BuildingAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 5321 First Place, NE
WOOK-TV, on the air from 1963 to 1972, was the first "all-Negro" television station in the nation. White founder Richard Eaton also started its predecessor, WOOK-Radio, in 1947 in the nation's first "Negro-oriented" radio station. Viewers fondly . . . — Map (db m108950) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Welcome Aboard!
"Any man who may be asked...what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal and pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy Throughout its history the navy has . . . — Map (db m109016) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 4 — A Mixing BowlRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front Al Jolson, star of the first "talking" movie, The Jazz Singer, grew up as Asa Yoelson at 713 4½ Street (once near this sign). The Yoelsons arrived from Lithuania in 1880. Asa's father Rabbi Moses Yoelson served as cantor . . . — Map (db m109105) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Can you identify these famous Civil Rights leaders?All four lived in this Southwest DC neighborhood!
Front Can You identify these famous Civil Rights leaders? All four lived in this Southwest DC neighborhood! Back Who are these famous Civil Rights leaders? Barbara Jordan (upper left) Patsy Mink (wearing Molly . . . — Map (db m109102) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 1 — Change on the WaterfrontRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front You are standing in the heart of one of Washington, DC's oldest—and newest—neighborhoods. For 150 years Southwest Washington was a working waterfront community. Then urban renewal changed the landscape forever. Today . . . — Map (db m109108) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Dr. Dorothy Height
Front Dr. Dorothy Height worked to advance women's, civil, and human rights with many of our nation's leaders. How many can you recognize? Back Dr. Dorothy Height Has lived at 700 7th Street, SW since 1983. As . . . — Map (db m109100) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 7 — Equality in Public EducationRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front Jefferson Junior High School was built in 1940 after area residents persuaded the city to abandon the original dilapidated building. They hoped the new structure, which included a branch library, would be the beginning of . . . — Map (db m109098) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Memorial Tree Planting
Memorial Tree Planting April 21, 1995 Yoshino Cherry Redbud In memory of the children of Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building America's Day Care Center Oklahoma City, OK — Map (db m109036) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 5 — Renewal and LossRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front Directly across Fourth Street from this sign is the Capitol Park complex of high-rise and townhouse residences. Designed by Chloethiel Woodard Smith of Satterlee and Smith, the high-rise (now Potomac Place) opened in 1959 as the . . . — Map (db m109103) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 6 — River Farms to Urban TowersSt. Dominic Church: Community Anchor — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front Behind you stands St. Dominic Church, established 1852. It anchors the city's only Dominican parish and is its sixth oldest Catholic church. St. Dominic's survived two upheavals — a fire in 1885 and the threat of urban renewal . . . — Map (db m109039) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 3 — The Heyday of Four-and-a-Half StreetRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front This quiet street was once Washington's answer to New York's Lower East Side. Fourth Street, known until 1934 as a 4½ Street, and nearly Seventh Street were Southwest's shopping centers. Around 1900 this street was the . . . — Map (db m109106) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — The Slave Trade in Washington, DC
"...in view from the windows of the Capitol, a sort of negro-livery stable, where droves of negroes were collected, temporarily kept, and finally taken to Southern markets …had been openly maintained for fifty years." Abraham Lincoln (1846) . . . — Map (db m109019) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — The Williams Slave Pen
"Underneath the roof there was a crazy loft all round, where slaves, if so disposed, might sleep at night, or in inclement weather seek shelter from the storm. It was like a farmer's barnyard in most respects, safe it was so constructed that the . . . — Map (db m109018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
In memory of: Ted Leon Allen, Diane E. Althouse, Peter R. Avillanoza, Andrea Y. Blanton, Paul G. Broxterman, David N. Burkett, Donald E. Burns, Kimberly K. Clark, Kim R. Cousins, Diana L. Day, Castine Deveroux, Susan J. Ferrell, Judy J. Fisher, . . . — Map (db m109096) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Arts and Industries Building
. . . — Map (db m108902) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Arts and Industries Building
The Arts and Industries Building, the second oldest Smithsonian building, was the first building designed for the National Museum, as the Smithsonian's first museum was known. It was constructed between 1879 and 1881 to meet the need for more . . . — Map (db m108904) HM
Florida (Broward County), Fort Lauderdale — F-864 — Bridge of the Isles
During the 1920s Florida Land Boom, the present-day Nurmi Isles subdivision was dredged to create the four finger islands. Bridges providing access to each island were constructed, but no additional development occurred until Victor Nurmi purchased . . . — Map (db m108909) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jackie Robinson MemorialRiverwalk And Ball Park Museum
The City Of Daytona Beach In Sincere Appreciation Recognizes The Following Major Contributions For The Jackie Robinson Riverwalk And Ball Park Museum: County Of Volusia ECHO Grant Program The Department Of State Division Of . . . — Map (db m108857) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery
Rigdon’s Mill On Mill Creek just north of this marker stood one of the oldest and long lasting water mills in Bulloch County. It was built about 1840 by Daniel Rigdon and his Irish son-in-law, William Gould, using picks, shovels, and . . . — Map (db m109042) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — World War II Prison Camp
In 1943-45, German and Italian prisoners of war harvested peanuts for Bulloch County's farmers, as well as pulling corn, collecting pecans, cutting cane, and helping with general farm jobs. Georgia was suffering from a severe labor shortage with so . . . — Map (db m108946) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-49 — Colored Library Association of Savannah
In 1906, eleven African-American men formed the Colored Library Association of Savannah and established the Library for Colored Citizens. They acquired the original collection from personal libraries and public donations of books and periodicals. In . . . — Map (db m108955) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-48 — Jepson House Education Center
This Italianate mansion was built in 1856 for Savannah grocer and Civil War mayor Thomas Holcombe and later owned by former Confederate officer and Superior Court Judge Robert Falligant and his descendants. The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, commanded . . . — Map (db m108969) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-50 — The March to the Sea
On December 21, 1864, during the Civil War, U.S. forces under Gen. William T. Sherman captured Savannah, completing the March to the Sea, a military campaign designed to destroy the Confederacy’s ability to wage war and break the will of its people . . . — Map (db m108962) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-44 — The Rotary Club of SavannahService above Self
On January 5, 1914, the Rotary Club of Savannah met for the first time at the DeSoto Hotel. Founded by John S. Banks and a group of local businessmen, this was the second Rotary club established in Georgia. The nation’s first service club, Rotary . . . — Map (db m108958) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Coosa — 0576-14 — Dr. Elizur and Esther Butler, Missionaries to the Cherokee Indians
Buried in the grave sixty feet south of this point is Esther Post Butler. Born in Connecticut on September 15, 1795, Post married Dr. Elizur Butler, physician and minister, in October 1820. The Butlers were sent by the American Board of . . . — Map (db m108985) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — Spence House
Farmers Bascom and Oma Spence purchased this 19th century farmhouse in 1918. Their families had lived in North Fulton and Forsyth Counties since the 1840s. The house sits on tree trunks cut on the property. Two wings were later added and the most . . . — Map (db m109126) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Fire Station No. 16Erected 1963
During the Civil Rights Movement, members of the African-American community pressured the Mayor and City Council of Atlanta to integrate the city's fire department. In 1962, Mayor Ivan Alan, authorized the first hiring of sixteen African American . . . — Map (db m108848) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Hapeville — 60-10 — Delta Air Lines
Delta Air Lines began in 1924 as a crop dusting company, based first in Macon, Georgia, and then Monroe, Louisiana. C.E. Woolman led a group of investors in buying the company in 1928 and renamed it Delta Air Service. Passenger service began between . . . — Map (db m108974) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 2 — Allenbrook
circa 1840, built of handmade brick. Originally home and office of the Lauren Woolen Mill; Near Allenbrook is historic site of Laurel Woolen Mill (burned by Sherman’s Forces); Lovers Rock, popular antebellum picnic spot. — Map (db m108987) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — C.J. Perry Housecirca 1880
Home of Charles Jefferson Perry who organized the Citizens Bank of Roswell and developed the north Roswell business district along present-day Canton Street in the late 19th Century. — Map (db m109118) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 28 — Francis J. Minhinnett House
Cotton Mill Superintendent house built circa 1849. — Map (db m109170) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Great Oaks1842 — A Founders Home
The Reverend Nathaniel A. Pratt, first minister of the Roswell Presbyterian Church. During the Civil War, Union troops camped here in 1864 while occupying Roswell on their way to Atlanta. — Map (db m109145) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Holly Hillcirca 1845
Greek Revival raised-cottage-style home of Savannah cotton broker Robert Adams Lewis. His wife was Catharine Barrington, as niece of town founder Roswell King. A later resident was noted author Evelyn Hanna, whose 1938 novel Blackberry Winter . . . — Map (db m109119) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Naylor Hallcirca 1840
Built by Barrington King for Roswell Manufacturing Company textile mills manager H.W. Proudfoot. The columned portico and porte-cochere were added and the house enlarged in the 1920s by Harrison Broadwell. The house is named for his mother’s family. — Map (db m109009) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 25 — Old Methodist ChurchCirca 1859-1920
Became Masonic Hall in 1952 — Map (db m109171) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 35 — PastoriumFirst Baptist Church — Erected 1940
R. Lee Buice First Pastor to live here — Map (db m109120) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Primrose Cottage1839
Primrose Cottage was the first permanent residence constructed in Roswell. Built for Eliza King Hand, a daughter of town founder Roswell King, the home features a hand-turned fence executed by an English craftsman. The house was designed by . . . — Map (db m109142) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 6 — W.J. Dolvin House
Victorian Architecture President Jimmy Carter Roswell White House — Map (db m109173) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha I(1758 - 1819)
Kamehameha ("The Lonely One") the Great was born in Hohala on the island of Hawai'i. Uniting all the major islands under one rule in 1810, he established himself as a fierce warrior, and wise and compassionate leader to his people. — Map (db m108954) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha II(1797 - 1824)
Liholiho ascended the throne at a time when foreign influences, and new standards and ideas were propelling the Hawaiians into the modern western world. During his reign, the kapu system was abolished and the missionaries arrived, brining . . . — Map (db m108956) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha III(1813 - 1854)
Kauikeaouli was a strong leader and contributed the greatest number of reforms during his 30 year reign, the longest in the history of Hawai'i. His mild manner, good judgement, and solid character made him a King loved and greatly respected by his . . . — Map (db m108951) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha IV(1834 - 1863)
Alexander Liholiho, grandson of Kamehameha the Great, brought a great appreciation for etiquette and ceremony to court. He and his wife Emma Rooke showed great concern for the welfare of their people and established the Queen's Hospital . . . — Map (db m108952) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha V(1830 - 1872)
Lot Kamehameha favored a stronger monarchy and placed much of the power back into the hands of royalty. He was the last ruler to bear the name of the great conqueror and was credited with many public improvements and acquisition of much land. . . . — Map (db m108957) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — William Charles Lunalilo(1835 - 1874)
The grandson of a half-brother of Kamehameha the Great, he became the first king to be elected. Well-educated, Lunalilo was very popular with the people and became the first Hawaiian to leave his property to charity. — Map (db m108964) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Camp Tarawa 1943-1945
Four stones make up this monument: The 2nd and 5th Marine Divisions trained here to bring peace to the Pacific Parker Ranch & Camp Tarawa 1943-1945 This monument honors the V Amphibious Corps (VAC), and . . . — Map (db m108940) HM WM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — The Hawaiian Cowboys
With the first cattle arriving in the Hawaiian Islands in 1793 as gifts for King Kamehameha I, it was not long before they overpopulated and plundered the countryside from the mountains to the seashores. Determined to bring them under control and . . . — Map (db m108949) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Ashton — Bear Gulch Ski BasinEastern Idaho's First Ski Resort
Look around you. You are standing amid a faded dream - a dream to create a premiere ski resort out of wilderness. Much of eastern Idaho during 1938 was considered a frontier when Forest Ranger Rufus Hall searched for a location to build Idaho's . . . — Map (db m108977) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Island Park — 461 — Harriman Wildlife Refuge
Henry's Fork meanders through an 16,000 acre wildlife refuge that retains diverse habitats for many kinds of birds and animals. Lodgepole pine forests and open meadows provide many opportunities to enjoy wildlife here, and fly fishing still . . . — Map (db m108979) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Island Park — Island ParkFort Henry Historic Byway — Lost Gold Scenic Trails
Two panels make up this marker: Island Park describes the northern part of Fremont County from the top of the Ashton Hill to the Montana border. Within its borders is an ancient volcanic caldera that has been inactive for the last . . . — Map (db m109006) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Island Park — 389 — Sawtell's Ranch
In 1868, Gilman Sawtell started a dude ranch and Henry's Lake fishery that did much to develop this natural resort area. Sawtell did everything from supplying swans for New York's Central Park zoo to building a network of roads for tourists . . . — Map (db m108978) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Saint Anthony — Fort Henry
The first white American settlement west of the Rocky Mountains. Established 1810 by Captain Andrew Henry — Map (db m108992) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Saint Anthony — 135 — Fort Henry
In 1810, Andrew Henry and a party of trappers from Saint Louis established a winter outpost about 6 miles west of here. Driven from their upper Missouri beaver camp by hostile Blackfeet, they expanded their operations from United States . . . — Map (db m108993) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — 49 — Fort Henry
was built in the fall of 1810 by Captain Andrew Henry and his companions of the Missouri Fur Company, about five miles below here on the left bank of this stream (Henry's Fork of Snake River), first buildings erected by Americans in the present . . . — Map (db m108980) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — M60A3 Army Tank
No tank performed longer than the M60 series. First introduced in 1961, the M60 series with its advanced weapon control and mighty engine, served under the administration of nine U.S. Presidents. The brawny tank's thick armor eventually shielded the . . . — Map (db m108989) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — 70 — Pioneer Meeting House
The first house of worship erected in the Upper Snake River Valley, was located approximately five and three-fourths miles west, and one and three-fourths miles south of this marker. It was completed by members of the Egin Branch of the Cache Stake . . . — Map (db m108988) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — World War I Memorial
On 17 January, 1920, this island was granted to St. Anthony from the Federal Government. The statue of the "Doughboy" was ordered by the county in May 1923. When it was installed it was veiled until Memorial Day, 30 May, 1923. O.O. Skalet, . . . — Map (db m108991) WM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Menan — 378 — Pooles Island - Menan
Pooles Island, first settled 1879 by members of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, John R. Poole, presiding elder. Cedar Butte Ward organized 1884, Robert L. Bybee, Bishop. Long Island Canal water right decreed 1880; school began 1881; . . . — Map (db m108994) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Brickand How It Was Made
Bricks for the kilns were made from a very light clay and lime, which probably came from deposits in Jump Creek. The lime was burned in nearby kilns and mixed with clay to produce a tough lightweight brick. Though wages were only $1.50-$2.00 a day, . . . — Map (db m109075) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Charcoaland How It Was Made
Charcoal is the carbonized residue to wood that has been heated in the absence of air. It was used in smelting because it required less blast than other fuels, was more convenient to obtain, and reacted well with the ore. Wood, cut in four foot . . . — Map (db m109071) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — 296 — Charcoal Kilns
Charcoal for a smelter, active from 1885-1889 across the valley at Nicholia, was produced in 16 kilns 6 miles west of here. Discover in 1881, the Viola mine became an important source for lead and silver from 1886-1888. Ore also was hauled . . . — Map (db m109034) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — 429 — Cote's Defile
A French Canadian who came to southern Idaho in 1818, Joseph Cote found this valley while trapping beaver. Though he was thousands of miles from his Canadian base in Montreal, he had years of experience in Pacific Northwest exploration. . . . — Map (db m109032) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Kilnsand How They Were Built
These are three of the four charcoal kilns that remain of the original sixteen that were once located here. These beehive shaped kilns were constructed of brick and designed to stand 20 feet in both height and diameter. The walls were plastered . . . — Map (db m109070) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Lower Birch Creek Valley
Four panels in the Birch Creek Campground kiosk deal with the history of Birch Creek Valley A Prehistory and History of Lower Birch Creek Valley a natural travel route between the Salmon River & the Snake River Plain . . . — Map (db m109050) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Once Upon a TimeOne Hundred Years Ago or More
Sixteen charcoal kilns were built on this site in 1886 by J.W. and W.C. King of Butte, Montana. The kilns produced charcoal for the smelter at Nicholia for about two years. When the smelter closed suddenly in 1888, operations at the kilns . . . — Map (db m109038) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — 270 — Prehistoric Man
Archaeological research as traced human occupation to this valley back more than ten thousand years. The first men here found the valley forested. As the climate became drier, other mountain dwellers -- known to archaeologists as people of . . . — Map (db m109031) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Preserve and ProtectTime Has Taken Its Toll
These kilns are the only remaining evidence of important historic events, and efforts have been made to preserve them. Steel pipes support on roof that was bout to collapse and gates have been erected to keep out stock. These structures are a . . . — Map (db m109069) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — The Back DoorFill It From the Top
Once wood was stacked as high as possible from the front door, loading continued through an opening in the back of the kiln. Wooden ramps that once led up to these doors disappeared long ago. — Map (db m109072) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Viola - The MineNicholas - The Town It Created
A side road from Highway 28 leads to Nicholia Townsite and the Viola Mine. Parts of these sites are on private land. Please be especially respectful of private owners rights and wishes. The Nicholia Ranch is on the site of Nicholia, once home to . . . — Map (db m109073) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Woodand How It Was Used
During the two years the 16 kilns were in operation, 150,000 cords of wood (about 15,000 loads of today’s logging trucks) were made into charcoal. A supply of 6,000 cords of wood was kept on hand at all times. Some can still be seen lying on the . . . — Map (db m109077) HM
Kentucky (Todd County), Guthrie — 1879 — Robert Penn Warren1905-1989
Side One A native of Guthrie, Warren was one of the nation's most prolific writers, a world-renowned man of letters. Graduate of Vanderbilt Univ., member of the Fugitives (writers group). Rhodes scholar at Oxford, 1928-1930; and twice a . . . — Map (db m108850) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Watson — Watson
First official post office established near this site, February 20, 1894. Named after first postmaster, George W. Watson, whose family owned land that is now the center of Watson. — Map (db m108981) HM
Louisiana (Tangipahoa Parish), Hammond — The Republic of West Florida
The Florida Parishes of Louisiana were not a part of the Louisiana Purchase. Due to its strategic significance the region remained a part of the Spanish Empire. In 1810 residents initiated an armed insurrection known as the West Florida Revolt. . . . — Map (db m108900) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Historic Jonestown: An Epic Story of ChangeHeritage Walk
The landscape of Historic Jonestown reveals four centuries of American History. From 18th and 19th century landmarks to vestiges of an immigrant past, from signs of 20th ceentury decline to a bold 21st century rebirth, its streetscapes tell an epic . . . — Map (db m108922) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — AbisadoThe Court House Cannon
. . . — Map (db m109154) WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — CisternsProject Summary
In 2015, Glen Waye Gardens Condominiums and Bethesda Green undertook three major methods to reduce Glen Waye's stormwater runoff: • Reforestation project: 60 native trees were planted. • Cisterns: 6 concrete pads and rainwater collection . . . — Map (db m109052) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — ReforestationProject Summary
In 2015, Glen Waye Gardens Condominiums and Bethesda Green undertook three major methods to reduce Glen Waye's stormwater runoff: • Reforestation project: 60 native trees were planted. • Cisterns: 6 concrete pads and rainwater collection . . . — Map (db m109008) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — SafewayServing Wheaton Since 1951
On this site in 1951, Wheaton welcomed Safeway into the community with a supermarket located at 11215 Georgia Avenue. Safeway was one of the first to offer free parking, refrigerated produce and "Cool Shopping Comfort" in the air conditioned store. . . . — Map (db m109015) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Southwick — Southwick Veterans Monument
Southwick Honors the Memory And the Glory of Her Sons and Daughters Who Served The United States In War World War II Constantine Adasiewicz, Jr. · Raymond E. Aldrich · Elwood H. Anderson · Mabel Anderson · Richard E. Anderson · . . . — Map (db m109014) WM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Southwick — Veterans Monument
To Honor Those Who Served Our Country In War And Peace Veterans Of Foreign Wars Post 872 American Legion Post 338 And Their Auxilliaries Bicentennial Year 1976 — Map (db m109013) WM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Boxborough — Henderson Inches Sawmill
Henderson Inches operated a sawmill on this site circa 1806–1865. The mill was used to clear his large oak woods which extended east and west of this location. The mill foundation, millrace and dam are visible before you. Henry David . . . — Map (db m108986) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Hollis Hall
Built by the Province of The Massachusetts Bay In New England, in 1763 Named in honor of Thomas Hollis of London, Merchant, and other members of the same family, constant and generous benefactors of Harvard College from 1719 to 1804 Used as . . . — Map (db m109037) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Somerville — George DilboyWorld War I Medal of Honor Recipient
George Dilboy, Private First Class, United States Army, Recipient of Congressional Medal of Honor-Born 1896, of Greek Parentage, in Alatsata, Asia Minor, near the city of Smyrna. Enlisted 19 June 1916, Company H, 103rd Infantry, 26th Infantry . . . — Map (db m108941) WM
Michigan, Ann Arbor — Social and Political Change on South University
When local merchants began the Ann Arbor Art Fair in July 1960, South University catered to both townspeople and students. During 40 years of social and political change, the fair grew into a city-wide extravaganza. In the twentieth century, as . . . — Map (db m109062) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ortonville — L1066 — Ortonville Methodist Episcopal Church
In June 1850 an eleven-member Methodist class was organized here as the Hadley Circuit of the Detroit District. B. F. Prichard was the pastor; M. H. Filmore, the class leader; and James Shaw, the presiding elder. That year the group built a stone . . . — Map (db m108869) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 5 — East University Avenue Campus Boundary1837
This plaque marks East University Avenue, which served as the eastern boundary of the original forty acres of land deeded to the State of Michigan in 1837 by the Ann Arbor Land Company for the location of the University of Michigan. — Map (db m109021) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 6 — First Medical Buildings1850-1925
The original Medical Building was built in 1850 on the current site of Randall Laboratory, and provided the principal space for lectures, recitations, anatomical dissections, faculty offices, and laboratories from 1850 to 1903. Clinical diagnosis, . . . — Map (db m108917) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — S415 — Governor Alpheus Felch
Born in Maine in 1804, Felch graduated from Bowdoin College in 1827. Entering the legal profession, he moved to Michigan in 1833 and after 1843 resided in Ann Arbor. A lifelong Democrat, Felch was governor in 1846-47, serving previously as justice . . . — Map (db m109001) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — Simpson Memorial Institute1927
The Thomas Henry Simpson Memorial Institute for Medical Research combined medical research and patient care activities, provided research experience for medical and postgraduate students, direct care to its patients on the third floor, and . . . — Map (db m108898) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — The Corners of South University and East University Avenues
In the 1898 panorama above, campus buildings had not yet reached this corner. The School of Engineering and its shops can be seen in the distance. Cousins and Hall greenhouses and florist shop occupied most of the first block across South . . . — Map (db m109051) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — A Remarkable Feat
Around 800 years ago, native peoples in this region began to transform a natural hill into what we call Emerald Mound

They followed a visionary plan and built this flat-topped sacred mound over perhaps 300 years. Covering eight acres, this . . . — Map (db m108887) HM

Mississippi (Pike County), McComb — 25 — C.C. BryantMississippi Freedom Trail
Side 1 Elected president of the Pike County branch of the NAACP in 1954, Curtis Conway Bryant (1917-2001) played a major role in early civil rights activism of southwest Mississippi. He campaigned to expand membership in the NAACP, led large . . . — Map (db m108990) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), McComb — Henry Quin Home
Built in 1811 by Henry Quin, son of early settlers, Peter and Judith Robinson Quin, and grandfather of Congressman Percy Quin. Nearby is first painted residence to be erected in Pike County. — Map (db m108943) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), McComb — McComb
Chartered 1872. Named for Col. H.S. McComb, I.C. Ry. president who established shops here. J.J.White Lumber Co. set-up 1893. McComb Female Inst., est. 1894, now Belhaven College. — Map (db m108901) HM
Missouri (Jasper County), Joplin — A Tribute to the Volunteers

At 5:41 P.M. on May 22, 2011, an EF-5 tornado ripped through Cunningham Park and the greater Joplin area, leaving a path of death and destruction one mile wide by six miles long in its wake. Over 160 people perished in the storm. What . . . — Map (db m108863) HM

Montana (Cascade County), Monarch — Steamboats, Bull Whackers, and Fish Trains
The discovery of silver in 1879 in Galena Creek southwest of here created a real transportation challenge for the miners of the early 1880's - how to bring in mining supplies and how to haul their precious ore out to distant railroads and markets. . . . — Map (db m108776) HM
Montana (Flathead County), Apgar — Choosing a Route
Mastery over nature or blend with the environment...two different philosophies represented by two different routes. After the establishment of Glacier National Park efforts began on constructing a road to provide access to the interior of the . . . — Map (db m108777) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Longport — Longport Veterans Monument
August 30, 2003 Longport American Legion Post 469 Dedicates this Monument in honor of U.S. Armed Forces, past, present, and future, in recognition of sacrifices made for our Nation by Military Members and Families. We are eternally grateful. . . . — Map (db m108866) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Margate City — Capenter WalkwayLucy the Elephant
Carpenter Walkway Welcome to Lucy the Elephant, one of our country's national historic landmarks and America's oldest roadside attraction. This is the Carpenter Walkway, dedicated to Sylvia and Edwin Carpenter co-founders of the Save Lucy . . . — Map (db m108865) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Richard Somers Memorial Building
Master Comandant, U.S.N. Richard Somers Memorial Building Dedicated Sept. 4, 1976 In His Honor Naval Hero Battle of Tripoli Sept. 15, 1778 — Sept. 4, 1804 — Map (db m108913) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point Bapist Church
Somers Point Bapist Church 1886 Shore Road Historic District Has Been Recognized As Historically Significant By The City of Somers Point, New Jersey — Map (db m108914) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point City Hall
Somers Point City Hall 1906 Shore Road Historic District Has Been Recognized As Historically Significant By The City Of Somers Point, New Jersey — Map (db m108948) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point World War I Memorial
. . . — Map (db m108944) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point World War I Monument
In Honor Of Those Who Served Their Country In The World War Roy Black · Chris Spitz · Raymond Fox · Madison Fox · Fred H. Manley · Forrest Conove · Oscar Doughty · Harrison Cramer · Albert Cramer · Charles H. Collins · William H. . . . — Map (db m108945) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point World War II Memorial
To Our Hero Dead in World War II 1941     1945 The City of Somers Point Pays Homage to The Memory Of These Valiants Who Gave The Last Full Measure of Devotion to Their Country James N. Chenoweth · H. Pual Clark · Edmond L. Eliason, Jr. · . . . — Map (db m108947) WM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — Columbia CountyHistoric New York
Columbia County Historic New York Columbia County, which extends from the Hudson River to the New England border. was formed in the late 18th century from parts of two 17th century land patents. Early settlers came from Holland, followed by . . . — Map (db m109089) HM
New York (Essex County), Essex — World Wars Memorial

In memory of those who gave their lives for their country in World War I and World War II. They shall, by their sacrifices, live forever among us. We honor the brave men and women of the Town of Essex who served our country . . . — Map (db m108924) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — A Busy Iron Port

The aerial photograph of Port Henry taken about 1925 leaves no question as to the nature of this place: a busy port shipping the products of its furnaces by water and by rail. Two new furnaces, begun in 1922, represented the latest technology. . . . — Map (db m109054) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — A Busy Iron Port

The aerial photograph of Port Henry taken about 1925 leaves no question as to the nature of this place: a busy port shipping the products of its furnaces by water and by rail. Two new furnaces, begun in 1922, represented the latest technology. . . . — Map (db m109055) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Cedar Point House

Inn and restaurant serving iron ore industry workers, railway workers, travelers, and visiting officials early 1880s to ca. 1964 — Map (db m109058) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Champ Sightings in Bulwagga Bay Area

Samuel de Champlain 1609

[List of Sightings not transcribed]

M. Mauth 7-7-90 [latest signing on sign] — Map (db m109078) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Champlain Academy

Site of Port Henry's first tavern 1826. This building erected as Pease House 1850 — Map (db m108967) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Daisy Godfrey1889 - 1982

Capt. Godfrey was a pilot, operating canal boats on Lake Champlain and the Canal. Awarded the N. Atlantic Medal in WWII. — Map (db m108973) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Industrial Shoreline

Iron processing changed the shoreline of Port Henry. When the New York and Canada Railroad was built in 1874, the tracks hugged the lake. That same year, a modern blast furnace was built at Cedar Point, just beyond the train station. Eight . . . — Map (db m109053) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad: The "Elsie and Em"

The Civil War's monstrous appetite for iron - for horse shoes, artillery, cannon balls, rifles, and armor plate - exposed the greatest obstacle to iron production in Moriah: getting ore from the mines to the lake shore. Even 100 teams of horses . . . — Map (db m109033) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — LC&M Caboose

This caboose was built in 1946 at Fisher Hill Shop, Mineville N.Y. It is constructed from an iron ore car and weighs 16 tons. The Lake Champlain and Moriah Railroad used this caboose on the main line from Mineville to Port Henry to haul iron . . . — Map (db m109056) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Meacham House

Built in 1818 by Capt. William Meacham — Map (db m109076) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — 273 — Office Building of Witherbee and Sherman Iron Ore Company

Part of Franklin Patent 1765. Built ca. 1875 Donated to town of Moriah in 1959. — Map (db m109017) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Powerhouse ParkCommemorating the site of the former Port Henry Powerplant, demolished in 1971

Powerhouse Park still serves as a staging area for ice fishing shanties during the winter and remains of the old Port Henry Powerhouse form its boundary along Mill Creek.

A mixture of six parts mine tailings to one park concrete was used to . . . — Map (db m108982) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Realizing a Dream: the Rolling Stock Display

As the idea for a Railroad and Mining Heritage Park took shape in the early 1990s, a few people shared a great dream. Most evidence of Moriah's proud mining heritage had been demolished, but railroad equipment could help people visualize a part . . . — Map (db m109040) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Shore Line

of Butterfield's Bay Boats were moored along north Main Street before building of railroad through here — Map (db m108966) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Site of First Blast Furnace

Erected in 1824 by Major James Dalliba Converted into Stove Works in 1827. — Map (db m108968) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Site of Porter's and Lewis's Mills

Built 1766; supplied lumber for Fort Crown Point and Arnold's Fleet[.] Entire valley dependent on grist mill. — Map (db m108972) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Teamsters, Dock Wallopers and Child Captains

The first of Port Henry's many iron furnaces was erected just west of here in 1822. Throughout the 19th century new furnaces, crushers, concentrating plants, and casting houses were added to increase production.

The key to the success of . . . — Map (db m108995) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge

The first Lake Champlain Bridge between Crown Point, New York, and Chimney Point, Vermont, opened in 1929. Primarily serving tourists when it opened, it ultimately became an important connection for residents and businesses across the region. A . . . — Map (db m108975) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge

Charles M. Spofford, an engineer of the Boston firm Fay, Spofford & Thorndike, designed the 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge. It was the first American highway bridge to employ a continuous truss design to create a curving transition between the deck . . . — Map (db m109074) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 2011 Lake Champlain Bridge

On November 7, 2011, after 25 months without a bridge, traffic once again began to flow over Lake Champlain at the Crown Point-Chimney Point crossing. The opening of the new Lake Champlain Bridge restored the vital transportation link between . . . — Map (db m108976) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Veterans Memorial

In appreciation to all Town of Moriah Veterans past and present who served in the Armed Forces

[Dedicated] December 2007 — Map (db m109029) WM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Village of Port HenryEssex County N.Y. — Incorporated May 1, 1869

Porter's Mills built by Benjamin Porter 1765 Burned during the Revolution: rebuilt 1786 Became Lewis' Mills 1789

First Post Office established 1827

Called Port Henry in honor of Henry Huntington of Rome, N.Y.

St. Patrick's . . . — Map (db m108965) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Witherbee Park and Town Hall

Deeded to the Town of Moriah May 25, 1959 by Witherbee Sherman Corporation — Map (db m109030) HM


314 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 114
Paid Advertisement