Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

 
Wideview of Castle Camp Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Craft, September 7, 2017
Wideview of Castle Camp Marker
Alberta, Castle Junction — Castle CampInternment in Banff National Park
End of the Road On the night of July 14, 1915 sixty prisoners were marshalled off a Canadian Pacific train just west of here and escorted to a barbed wire compound at the end of the unfinished Banff–Laggan (now Lake Louise) road. . . . — Map (db m109003) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Mansion at Paseo de la Reforma 483
Paseo de la Reforma 483 La casona fue construida en 1929 por el empresario inglés sir Patrick O'hey para su esposa y fue ocupada durante varios años como casa habitación. Es estilo neogótico ecléctico y su fachada está revestida de cantera . . . — Map (db m109066) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Luis de la Paz), Mineral de Pozos — Aqueduct
AcueductoUno de los elementos fundamentales para el desarrollo de cualquier civilización, sea grande o pequeña, es el agua. Su aprovechamiento requirió de la creación y perfeccionamiento de diversos métodos de distribución, de los cuales el más . . . — Map (db m109063) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Luis de la Paz), Mineral de Pozos — The Model SchoolAntigua Escuela Modelo
Antigua Escuela Modelo Las Escuelas Modelo eran una propuesta innovadora que incluía la construcción de edificios y su equipamiento, de tal forma que facilitaran la aplicación de las nuevas propuestas pedagógicas promovidas por el Porfiriato. . . . — Map (db m109061) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Anthony Trollope(1815-1882)
Novelist Lived Here — Map (db m109080) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — George Frideric Handel1685-1759
Composer lived in this house from 1723 and died here — Map (db m109064) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Ho Chi Minh1890-1969
Founder of Modern Vietnam worked in 1913 at the Carlton Hotel which stood on this site — Map (db m109068) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Jimi Hendrix1942-1970
Guitarist and Songwriter lived here 1968-1969 — Map (db m109060) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Lennon1940-1980
Musician and Songwriter lived here in 1968 — Map (db m109067) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
In a house on this site in 1764-5 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 1756-1791 lived, played and composed — Map (db m109057) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Ziggy Stardust1972
This marks the location of the cover photograph for the iconic David Bowie album 'The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars' — Map (db m109059) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Avant — Communities of the Upper Ouachita River Valley
Many small towns once existed in the area now covered by Lake Ouachita. Settlers first came to the upper Ouachita River valley in the decades prior to the Civil Way to establish homes, farms and businesses, creating communities such as Cedar Glades . . . — Map (db m108929) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Andres Pico Adobe
Spanish-Mexican Period Declared Historic Cultural Monument No. 7 by the Cultural Heritage Board Municipal Art Department City Of Los AngelesMap (db m108953) HM
California (Merced County), Atwater — A Comrade’s Tribute to Brig. Gen. Frederick W. Castle A.A.F.1908-1944
The heart is torn of late by the almost daily reports of heroes killed in action: Bottcher, Preddy, and now Castle. They all seem to have been made from a knightly stamp. Gallant and chivalrous men whom the Gods themselves will welcome. Brig. Gen. . . . — Map (db m108918) WM
California (Merced County), Atwater — Castle Memorial Parade Ground
Dedicated to those airmen from Castle Air Force Base who gave their lives in the service of the United States of America. — Map (db m108919) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Totten — WOOK-TV BuildingAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 5321 First Place, NE
WOOK-TV, on the air from 1963 to 1972, was the first "all-Negro" television station in the nation. White founder Richard Eaton also started its predecessor, WOOK-Radio, in 1947 in the nation's first "Negro-oriented" radio station. Viewers fondly . . . — Map (db m108950) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Welcome Aboard!
"Any man who may be asked...what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal and pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy Throughout its history the navy has . . . — Map (db m109016) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Memorial Tree Planting
Memorial Tree Planting April 21, 1995 Yoshino Cherry Redbud In memory of the children of Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building America's Day Care Center Oklahoma City, OK — Map (db m109036) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 6 — River Farms to Urban TowersSt. Dominic Church: Community Anchor — Southwest Heritage Trail
Front Behind you stands St. Dominic Church, established 1852. It anchors the city's only Dominican parish and is its sixth oldest Catholic church. St. Dominic's survived two upheavals — a fire in 1885 and the threat of urban renewal . . . — Map (db m109039) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — The Slave Trade in Washington, DC
"...in view from the windows of the Capitol, a sort of negro-livery stable, where droves of negroes were collected, temporarily kept, and finally taken to Southern markets …had been openly maintained for fifty years." Abraham Lincoln (1846) . . . — Map (db m109019) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — The Williams Slave Pen
"Underneath the roof there was a crazy loft all round, where slaves, if so disposed, might sleep at night, or in inclement weather seek shelter from the storm. It was like a farmer's barnyard in most respects, safe it was so constructed that the . . . — Map (db m109018) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — Rigdon’s Mill / The Rigdon Cemetery
Rigdon’s Mill On Mill Creek just north of this marker stood one of the oldest and long lasting water mills in Bulloch County. It was built about 1840 by Daniel Rigdon and his Irish son-in-law, William Gould, using picks, shovels, and . . . — Map (db m109042) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — World War II Prison Camp
In 1943-45, German and Italian prisoners of war harvested peanuts for Bulloch County's farmers, as well as pulling corn, collecting pecans, cutting cane, and helping with general farm jobs. Georgia was suffering from a severe labor shortage with so . . . — Map (db m108946) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-49 — Colored Library Association of Savannah
In 1906, eleven African-American men formed the Colored Library Association of Savannah and established the Library for Colored Citizens. They acquired the original collection from personal libraries and public donations of books and periodicals. In . . . — Map (db m108955) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-48 — Jepson House Education Center
This Italianate mansion was built in 1856 for Savannah grocer and Civil War mayor Thomas Holcombe and later owned by former Confederate officer and Superior Court Judge Robert Falligant and his descendants. The Oglethorpe Light Infantry, commanded . . . — Map (db m108969) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-50 — The March to the Sea
On December 21, 1864, during the Civil War, U.S. forces under Gen. William T. Sherman captured Savannah, completing the March to the Sea, a military campaign designed to destroy the Confederacy’s ability to wage war and break the will of its people . . . — Map (db m108962) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-44 — The Rotary Club of SavannahService above Self
On January 5, 1914, the Rotary Club of Savannah met for the first time at the DeSoto Hotel. Founded by John S. Banks and a group of local businessmen, this was the second Rotary club established in Georgia. The nation’s first service club, Rotary . . . — Map (db m108958) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Coosa — 0576-14 — Dr. Elizur and Esther Butler, Missionaries to the Cherokee Indians
Buried in the grave sixty feet south of this point is Esther Post Butler. Born in Connecticut on September 15, 1795, Post married Dr. Elizur Butler, physician and minister, in October 1820. The Butlers were sent by the American Board of . . . — Map (db m108985) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Fire Station No. 16Erected 1963
During the Civil Rights Movement, members of the African-American community pressured the Mayor and City Council of Atlanta to integrate the city's fire department. In 1962, Mayor Ivan Alan, authorized the first hiring of sixteen African American . . . — Map (db m108848) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Hapeville — 60-10 — Delta Air Lines
Delta Air Lines began in 1924 as a crop dusting company, based first in Macon, Georgia, and then Monroe, Louisiana. C.E. Woolman led a group of investors in buying the company in 1928 and renamed it Delta Air Service. Passenger service began between . . . — Map (db m108974) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 2 — Allenbrook
circa 1840, built of handmade brick. Originally home and office of the Lauren Woolen Mill; Near Allenbrook is historic site of Laurel Woolen Mill (burned by Sherman’s Forces); Lovers Rock, popular antebellum picnic spot. — Map (db m108987) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Naylor Hallcirca 1840
Built by Barrington King for Roswell Manufacturing Company textile mills manager H.W. Proudfoot. The columned portico and porte-cochere were added and the house enlarged in the 1920s by Harrison Broadwell. The house is named for his mother’s family. — Map (db m109009) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha I(1758 - 1819)
Kamehameha ("The Lonely One") the Great was born in Hohala on the island of Hawai'i. Uniting all the major islands under one rule in 1810, he established himself as a fierce warrior, and wise and compassionate leader to his people. — Map (db m108954) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha II(1797 - 1824)
Liholiho ascended the throne at a time when foreign influences, and new standards and ideas were propelling the Hawaiians into the modern western world. During his reign, the kapu system was abolished and the missionaries arrived, brining . . . — Map (db m108956) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha III(1813 - 1854)
Kauikeaouli was a strong leader and contributed the greatest number of reforms during his 30 year reign, the longest in the history of Hawai'i. His mild manner, good judgement, and solid character made him a King loved and greatly respected by his . . . — Map (db m108951) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha IV(1834 - 1863)
Alexander Liholiho, grandson of Kamehameha the Great, brought a great appreciation for etiquette and ceremony to court. He and his wife Emma Rooke showed great concern for the welfare of their people and established the Queen's Hospital . . . — Map (db m108952) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — Kamehameha V(1830 - 1872)
Lot Kamehameha favored a stronger monarchy and placed much of the power back into the hands of royalty. He was the last ruler to bear the name of the great conqueror and was credited with many public improvements and acquisition of much land. . . . — Map (db m108957) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa — William Charles Lunalilo(1835 - 1874)
The grandson of a half-brother of Kamehameha the Great, he became the first king to be elected. Well-educated, Lunalilo was very popular with the people and became the first Hawaiian to leave his property to charity. — Map (db m108964) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Camp Tarawa 1943-1945
Four stones make up this monument: The 2nd and 5th Marine Divisions trained here to bring peace to the Pacific Parker Ranch & Camp Tarawa 1943-1945 This monument honors the V Amphibious Corps (VAC), and . . . — Map (db m108940) HM WM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — The Hawaiian Cowboys
With the first cattle arriving in the Hawaiian Islands in 1793 as gifts for King Kamehameha I, it was not long before they overpopulated and plundered the countryside from the mountains to the seashores. Determined to bring them under control and . . . — Map (db m108949) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Ashton — Bear Gulch Ski BasinEastern Idaho's First Ski Resort
Look around you. You are standing amid a faded dream - a dream to create a premiere ski resort out of wilderness. Much of eastern Idaho during 1938 was considered a frontier when Forest Ranger Rufus Hall searched for a location to build Idaho's . . . — Map (db m108977) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Island Park — 461 — Harriman Wildlife Refuge
Henry's Fork meanders through an 16,000 acre wildlife refuge that retains diverse habitats for many kinds of birds and animals. Lodgepole pine forests and open meadows provide many opportunities to enjoy wildlife here, and fly fishing still . . . — Map (db m108979) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Island Park — Island ParkFort Henry Historic Byway — Lost Gold Scenic Trails
Two panels make up this marker: Island Park describes the northern part of Fremont County from the top of the Ashton Hill to the Montana border. Within its borders is an ancient volcanic caldera that has been inactive for the last . . . — Map (db m109006) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Island Park — 389 — Sawtell's Ranch
In 1868, Gilman Sawtell started a dude ranch and Henry's Lake fishery that did much to develop this natural resort area. Sawtell did everything from supplying swans for New York's Central Park zoo to building a network of roads for tourists . . . — Map (db m108978) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Saint Anthony — Fort Henry
The first white American settlement west of the Rocky Mountains. Established 1810 by Captain Andrew Henry — Map (db m108992) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Saint Anthony — 135 — Fort Henry
In 1810, Andrew Henry and a party of trappers from Saint Louis established a winter outpost about 6 miles west of here. Driven from their upper Missouri beaver camp by hostile Blackfeet, they expanded their operations from United States . . . — Map (db m108993) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — 49 — Fort Henry
was built in the fall of 1810 by Captain Andrew Henry and his companions of the Missouri Fur Company, about five miles below here on the left bank of this stream (Henry's Fork of Snake River), first buildings erected by Americans in the present . . . — Map (db m108980) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — M60A3 Army Tank
No tank performed longer than the M60 series. First introduced in 1961, the M60 series with its advanced weapon control and mighty engine, served under the administration of nine U.S. Presidents. The brawny tank's thick armor eventually shielded the . . . — Map (db m108989) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — 70 — Pioneer Meeting House
The first house of worship erected in the Upper Snake River Valley, was located approximately five and three-fourths miles west, and one and three-fourths miles south of this marker. It was completed by members of the Egin Branch of the Cache Stake . . . — Map (db m108988) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), St. Anthony — World War I Memorial
On 17 January, 1920, this island was granted to St. Anthony from the Federal Government. The statue of the "Doughboy" was ordered by the county in May 1923. When it was installed it was veiled until Memorial Day, 30 May, 1923. O.O. Skalet, . . . — Map (db m108991) WM
Idaho (Jefferson County), Menan — 378 — Pooles Island - Menan
Pooles Island, first settled 1879 by members of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, John R. Poole, presiding elder. Cedar Butte Ward organized 1884, Robert L. Bybee, Bishop. Long Island Canal water right decreed 1880; school began 1881; . . . — Map (db m108994) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Brickand How It Was Made
Bricks for the kilns were made from a very light clay and lime, which probably came from deposits in Jump Creek. The lime was burned in nearby kilns and mixed with clay to produce a tough lightweight brick. Though wages were only $1.50-$2.00 a day, . . . — Map (db m109075) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Charcoaland How It Was Made
Charcoal is the carbonized residue to wood that has been heated in the absence of air. It was used in smelting because it required less blast than other fuels, was more convenient to obtain, and reacted well with the ore. Wood, cut in four foot . . . — Map (db m109071) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — 296 — Charcoal Kilns
Charcoal for a smelter, active from 1885-1889 across the valley at Nicholia, was produced in 16 kilns 6 miles west of here. Discover in 1881, the Viola mine became an important source for lead and silver from 1886-1888. Ore also was hauled . . . — Map (db m109034) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — 429 — Cote's Defile
A French Canadian who came to southern Idaho in 1818, Joseph Cote found this valley while trapping beaver. Though he was thousands of miles from his Canadian base in Montreal, he had years of experience in Pacific Northwest exploration. . . . — Map (db m109032) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Kilnsand How They Were Built
These are three of the four charcoal kilns that remain of the original sixteen that were once located here. These beehive shaped kilns were constructed of brick and designed to stand 20 feet in both height and diameter. The walls were plastered . . . — Map (db m109070) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Lower Birch Creek Valley
Four panels in the Birch Creek Campground kiosk deal with the history of Birch Creek Valley A Prehistory and History of Lower Birch Creek Valley a natural travel route between the Salmon River & the Snake River Plain . . . — Map (db m109050) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Once Upon a TimeOne Hundred Years Ago or More
Sixteen charcoal kilns were built on this site in 1886 by J.W. and W.C. King of Butte, Montana. The kilns produced charcoal for the smelter at Nicholia for about two years. When the smelter closed suddenly in 1888, operations at the kilns . . . — Map (db m109038) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — 270 — Prehistoric Man
Archaeological research as traced human occupation to this valley back more than ten thousand years. The first men here found the valley forested. As the climate became drier, other mountain dwellers -- known to archaeologists as people of . . . — Map (db m109031) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Preserve and ProtectTime Has Taken Its Toll
These kilns are the only remaining evidence of important historic events, and efforts have been made to preserve them. Steel pipes support on roof that was bout to collapse and gates have been erected to keep out stock. These structures are a . . . — Map (db m109069) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — The Back DoorFill It From the Top
Once wood was stacked as high as possible from the front door, loading continued through an opening in the back of the kiln. Wooden ramps that once led up to these doors disappeared long ago. — Map (db m109072) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Viola - The MineNicholas - The Town It Created
A side road from Highway 28 leads to Nicholia Townsite and the Viola Mine. Parts of these sites are on private land. Please be especially respectful of private owners rights and wishes. The Nicholia Ranch is on the site of Nicholia, once home to . . . — Map (db m109073) HM
Idaho (Lemhi County), Leadore — Woodand How It Was Used
During the two years the 16 kilns were in operation, 150,000 cords of wood (about 15,000 loads of today’s logging trucks) were made into charcoal. A supply of 6,000 cords of wood was kept on hand at all times. Some can still be seen lying on the . . . — Map (db m109077) HM
Louisiana (Livingston Parish), Watson — Watson
First official post office established near this site, February 20, 1894. Named after first postmaster, George W. Watson, whose family owned land that is now the center of Watson. — Map (db m108981) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — CisternsProject Summary
In 2015, Glen Waye Gardens Condominiums and Bethesda Green undertook three major methods to reduce Glen Waye's stormwater runoff: • Reforestation project: 60 native trees were planted. • Cisterns: 6 concrete pads and rainwater collection . . . — Map (db m109052) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — ReforestationProject Summary
In 2015, Glen Waye Gardens Condominiums and Bethesda Green undertook three major methods to reduce Glen Waye's stormwater runoff: • Reforestation project: 60 native trees were planted. • Cisterns: 6 concrete pads and rainwater collection . . . — Map (db m109008) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — SafewayServing Wheaton Since 1951
On this site in 1951, Wheaton welcomed Safeway into the community with a supermarket located at 11215 Georgia Avenue. Safeway was one of the first to offer free parking, refrigerated produce and "Cool Shopping Comfort" in the air conditioned store. . . . — Map (db m109015) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Southwick — Southwick Veterans Monument
Southwick Honors the Memory And the Glory of Her Sons and Daughters Who Served The United States In War World War II Constantine Adasiewicz, Jr. · Raymond E. Aldrich · Elwood H. Anderson · Mabel Anderson · Richard E. Anderson · . . . — Map (db m109014) WM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Southwick — Veterans Monument
To Honor Those Who Served Our Country In War And Peace Veterans Of Foreign Wars Post 872 American Legion Post 338 And Their Auxilliaries Bicentennial Year 1976 — Map (db m109013) WM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Boxborough — Henderson Inches Sawmill
Henderson Inches operated a sawmill on this site circa 1806–1865. The mill was used to clear his large oak woods which extended east and west of this location. The mill foundation, millrace and dam are visible before you. Henry David . . . — Map (db m108986) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Hollis Hall
Built by the Province of The Massachusetts Bay In New England, in 1763 Named in honor of Thomas Hollis of London, Merchant, and other members of the same family, constant and generous benefactors of Harvard College from 1719 to 1804 Used as . . . — Map (db m109037) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Somerville — George DilboyWorld War I Medal of Honor Recipient
George Dilboy, Private First Class, United States Army, Recipient of Congressional Medal of Honor-Born 1896, of Greek Parentage, in Alatsata, Asia Minor, near the city of Smyrna. Enlisted 19 June 1916, Company H, 103rd Infantry, 26th Infantry . . . — Map (db m108941) WM
Michigan, Ann Arbor — Social and Political Change on South University
When local merchants began the Ann Arbor Art Fair in July 1960, South University catered to both townspeople and students. During 40 years of social and political change, the fair grew into a city-wide extravaganza. In the twentieth century, as . . . — Map (db m109062) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 5 — East University Avenue Campus Boundary1837
This plaque marks East University Avenue, which served as the eastern boundary of the original forty acres of land deeded to the State of Michigan in 1837 by the Ann Arbor Land Company for the location of the University of Michigan. — Map (db m109021) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — S415 — Governor Alpheus Felch
Born in Maine in 1804, Felch graduated from Bowdoin College in 1827. Entering the legal profession, he moved to Michigan in 1833 and after 1843 resided in Ann Arbor. A lifelong Democrat, Felch was governor in 1846-47, serving previously as justice . . . — Map (db m109001) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — The Corners of South University and East University Avenues
In the 1898 panorama above, campus buildings had not yet reached this corner. The School of Engineering and its shops can be seen in the distance. Cousins and Hall greenhouses and florist shop occupied most of the first block across South . . . — Map (db m109051) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), McComb — 25 — C.C. BryantMississippi Freedom Trail
Side 1 Elected president of the Pike County branch of the NAACP in 1954, Curtis Conway Bryant (1917-2001) played a major role in early civil rights activism of southwest Mississippi. He campaigned to expand membership in the NAACP, led large . . . — Map (db m108990) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), McComb — Henry Quin Home
Built in 1811 by Henry Quin, son of early settlers, Peter and Judith Robinson Quin, and grandfather of Congressman Percy Quin. Nearby is first painted residence to be erected in Pike County. — Map (db m108943) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point City Hall
Somers Point City Hall 1906 Shore Road Historic District Has Been Recognized As Historically Significant By The City Of Somers Point, New Jersey — Map (db m108948) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point World War I Memorial
. . . — Map (db m108944) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point World War I Monument
In Honor Of Those Who Served Their Country In The World War Roy Black · Chris Spitz · Raymond Fox · Madison Fox · Fred H. Manley · Forrest Conove · Oscar Doughty · Harrison Cramer · Albert Cramer · Charles H. Collins · William H. . . . — Map (db m108945) WM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — Somers Point World War II Memorial
To Our Hero Dead in World War II 1941     1945 The City of Somers Point Pays Homage to The Memory Of These Valiants Who Gave The Last Full Measure of Devotion to Their Country James N. Chenoweth · H. Pual Clark · Edmond L. Eliason, Jr. · . . . — Map (db m108947) WM
New York (Essex County), Port Henry — A Busy Iron Port

The aerial photograph of Port Henry taken about 1925 leaves no question as to the nature of this place: a busy port shipping the products of its furnaces by water and by rail. Two new furnaces, begun in 1922, represented the latest technology. . . . — Map (db m109054) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — A Busy Iron Port

The aerial photograph of Port Henry taken about 1925 leaves no question as to the nature of this place: a busy port shipping the products of its furnaces by water and by rail. Two new furnaces, begun in 1922, represented the latest technology. . . . — Map (db m109055) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Cedar Point House

Inn and restaurant serving iron ore industry workers, railway workers, travelers, and visiting officials early 1880s to ca. 1964 — Map (db m109058) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Champ Sightings in Bulwagga Bay Area

Samuel de Champlain 1609

[List of Sightings not transcribed]

M. Mauth 7-7-90 [latest signing on sign] — Map (db m109078) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Champlain Academy

Site of Port Henry's first tavern 1826. This building erected as Pease House 1850 — Map (db m108967) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Daisy Godfrey1889 - 1982

Capt. Godfrey was a pilot, operating canal boats on Lake Champlain and the Canal. Awarded the N. Atlantic Medal in WWII. — Map (db m108973) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Industrial Shoreline

Iron processing changed the shoreline of Port Henry. When the New York and Canada Railroad was built in 1874, the tracks hugged the lake. That same year, a modern blast furnace was built at Cedar Point, just beyond the train station. Eight . . . — Map (db m109053) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Lake Champlain & Moriah Railroad: The "Elsie and Em"

The Civil War's monstrous appetite for iron - for horse shoes, artillery, cannon balls, rifles, and armor plate - exposed the greatest obstacle to iron production in Moriah: getting ore from the mines to the lake shore. Even 100 teams of horses . . . — Map (db m109033) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — LC&M Caboose

This caboose was built in 1946 at Fisher Hill Shop, Mineville N.Y. It is constructed from an iron ore car and weighs 16 tons. The Lake Champlain and Moriah Railroad used this caboose on the main line from Mineville to Port Henry to haul iron . . . — Map (db m109056) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Meacham House

Built in 1818 by Capt. William Meacham — Map (db m109076) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — 273 — Office Building of Witherbee and Sherman Iron Ore Company

Part of Franklin Patent 1765. Built ca. 1875 Donated to town of Moriah in 1959. — Map (db m109017) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Powerhouse ParkCommemorating the site of the former Port Henry Powerplant, demolished in 1971

Powerhouse Park still serves as a staging area for ice fishing shanties during the winter and remains of the old Port Henry Powerhouse form its boundary along Mill Creek.

A mixture of six parts mine tailings to one park concrete was used to . . . — Map (db m108982) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Realizing a Dream: the Rolling Stock Display

As the idea for a Railroad and Mining Heritage Park took shape in the early 1990s, a few people shared a great dream. Most evidence of Moriah's proud mining heritage had been demolished, but railroad equipment could help people visualize a part . . . — Map (db m109040) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Shore Line

of Butterfield's Bay Boats were moored along north Main Street before building of railroad through here — Map (db m108966) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Site of First Blast Furnace

Erected in 1824 by Major James Dalliba Converted into Stove Works in 1827. — Map (db m108968) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Site of Porter's and Lewis's Mills

Built 1766; supplied lumber for Fort Crown Point and Arnold's Fleet[.] Entire valley dependent on grist mill. — Map (db m108972) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Teamsters, Dock Wallopers and Child Captains

The first of Port Henry's many iron furnaces was erected just west of here in 1822. Throughout the 19th century new furnaces, crushers, concentrating plants, and casting houses were added to increase production.

The key to the success of . . . — Map (db m108995) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge

The first Lake Champlain Bridge between Crown Point, New York, and Chimney Point, Vermont, opened in 1929. Primarily serving tourists when it opened, it ultimately became an important connection for residents and businesses across the region. A . . . — Map (db m108975) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge

Charles M. Spofford, an engineer of the Boston firm Fay, Spofford & Thorndike, designed the 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge. It was the first American highway bridge to employ a continuous truss design to create a curving transition between the deck . . . — Map (db m109074) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — The 2011 Lake Champlain Bridge

On November 7, 2011, after 25 months without a bridge, traffic once again began to flow over Lake Champlain at the Crown Point-Chimney Point crossing. The opening of the new Lake Champlain Bridge restored the vital transportation link between . . . — Map (db m108976) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Veterans Memorial

In appreciation to all Town of Moriah Veterans past and present who served in the Armed Forces

[Dedicated] December 2007 — Map (db m109029) WM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Village of Port HenryEssex County N.Y. — Incorporated May 1, 1869

Porter's Mills built by Benjamin Porter 1765 Burned during the Revolution: rebuilt 1786 Became Lewis' Mills 1789

First Post Office established 1827

Called Port Henry in honor of Henry Huntington of Rome, N.Y.

St. Patrick's . . . — Map (db m108965) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — Witherbee Park and Town Hall

Deeded to the Town of Moriah May 25, 1959 by Witherbee Sherman Corporation — Map (db m109030) HM

New York (Essex County), Port Henry — World War I Memorial Honor Roll1917 - 1918 — Town of Moriah, New York

Killed in Action Edward Carlson · Army • Wm. Henry Smith · Army

Died of Wounds Thomas Clark · Army

Died in Service Thomas H. Breen · Army • Robert F. Compton · Army Lyle Hatch · Tank Service • William Hanchett · Army . . . — Map (db m108996) WM

New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Burning of Kingston
As a memorial to those citizens of • Kingston • because of whose patriotism the village was burned by the British forces under the command of Maj. Gen. John Vaughan on the 16th day of October • 1777 • ----------- This tablet is erected by one of the . . . — Map (db m109022) HM
New York (Ulster County), Kingston — Judge Lucas Elmendorf Mansion
Built circa 1790 by this regent, turnpike builder, Associate of Thomas Jefferson. His election to Congress 1797 – 1803 was celebrated by a grand illumination of this house 1798. — Map (db m109023) HM
Ohio (Knox County), Bangs — 11- 42 — Knox County Poor Farm / Knox County Infirmary
Knox County Poor Farm The surrounding 132 acres of land served as the Knox County Poor Farm (aka Knox County Infirmary and County Home) from 1842 to 1955. The farm was nearly self-sustaining. Able residents grew their own food, raised . . . — Map (db m108925) HM
Ohio (Knox County), Bangs — Ohio Fallen Heroes MemorialChapel Hill Golf Course
Forever we honor our fallen killed in the war on terrorism

All gave some, some gave all — Map (db m108926) WM

Ohio (Licking County), Croton Post Office — Hartford Township Veterans MemorialLicking County Bicentennial Historical Marker — 1808 - 2008
Hartford Township Established in 1819 Dedicates this marker to Our Veterans Marker sponsored by The Licking County Veteran’s Service Commission A Licking County Historical Society initiative 2008 — Map (db m108928) WM
Ohio (Licking County), Croton Post Office — Hartford Village Civil War Column — Marble Obelisk on the Village Green
West side James Wheelock 2nd Lieut. Co. F 113 Regt. O.V.I. killed at Chickamuga Ga. Sept. 1863

Stewart J. Ogilive Corp. Co. F 113 Regt. O.V.I. killed at Chickamauga Ga. Sept. 20, 1863

August McComb, Co. F 113 Regt. O.V.I. . . . — Map (db m108927) WM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Haskell — Battery C, 160th Field Artillery Battalion, 45th Infantry Division MemorialThunderbirds — 1950 • Korean War Memorial • 1953

[Honor Roll of Veterans]

(back)

The Town of Haskell This memorial testifies to future generations our everlasting appreciation for all Korean War Veterans. Some gave much, others gave all. Yours was a much appreciated . . . — Map (db m108959) HM WM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — "The Sentry"Sculptor Genie E. Basey

In memory of Benjamin Howard Gaston, M.D. 1926 - 1997

1947 - Graduated Johns Hopkins Medical School

Captain, United States Army Surgical Research Unit

Brooke Army Medical Center

In honor of forty years of surgical . . . — Map (db m108930) HM WM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — 42nd Infantry (Rainbow) Division National Memorial

This open air theatre is dedicated as a living memorial to our comrades of World War I and World War II who gave their lives in the service of their beloved country.

It looks across to the Cookson Hills, the site of Camp Gruber, where the . . . — Map (db m108931) HM WM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — American Society of Landscape Architects Centennial MedallionHonor Heights Park

The American Society of Landscape Architects 1899-1999

This site is recognized as a National Landmark for Outstanding Landscape Architecture — Map (db m108934) HM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — Better Homes & Gardens' Highest Community Honor
. . . — Map (db m108933) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — Dr. John Hutchings White

Iron Sculpture by John Carson, Muskogee Artist

Contributed by Marie White Rhodes

in Commemoration of

Dr. John Hutchings White

pioneer Physician and Surgeon who emigrated from Virginia to Indian Territory in 1902 to . . . — Map (db m108936) HM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — Honor Heights ParkDedication — 1914 - 1918

This park is laid like a Wreath of Honor on the highland of this city by the People of Muskogee as a tribute to those of our country who served in the World War 1914-1918 in camp or in field at home or abroad in all the multitudes . . . — Map (db m108932) WM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — Muskogee Nation Commemorative StoneMay the 26th, 1850
. . . — Map (db m108937) HM
Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — Union AgencyEstablished July 1, 1874

Consolidated U. S. Indian office for Five Civilized Tribes. Cornerstone of old stone building here laid Aug. 18, 1875, in ceremony led by Agent G. W. Ingalls, with address by Wm. P. Ross, Chief, Cherokee Nation; first Masonic cornerstone laying . . . — Map (db m108935) HM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — Union AgencyIndian Territory — Erected 1875

Dedicated as historical site

October 15, 1986 — Map (db m108938) HM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — Union Agency Building

Begun in 1875, this Agency was the first building erected by the U.S. government to house the superintendencey [sic] of the Five Civilized Tribes. Used briefly, the building was leased in 1875 to the Baptist Mission Society as a school for the . . . — Map (db m108939) HM

Oklahoma (Muskogee County), Muskogee — World War Memorial

(East Elevation)

Erected in commemoration of members of the Five Civilized Tribes, whose record of enlistment, conduct in camp, and fortitude and valor on the battlefield, added lustre to the triumphant victory of our country . . . — Map (db m108942) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Elk County), St. Mary's — Decker's Chapel
Michael Decker built this chapel in 1856 fulfilling his promise to God after being healed from injuries he sustained after falling from a tree in his apple orchard. — Map (db m109012) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 30 — "Tranquility"
An early post office of this name was opened Sept. 28, 1835, in the home of William H.H. Burton, which stood at this site. It remained here until Aug. 27, 1837, when it was moved to the public square of Camden and the name changed to "Camden." . . . — Map (db m109047) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 19 — Gunboats and CavalryNov. 4, 1864
8½ miles east, at Johnsonville Landing, Forrest's Cavalry Corps, after blocking river approaches from both directions with captured Federal vessels and gunfire, destroyed the Federal base at Johnsonville. Losses were 4 gunboats, 14 steamboats, . . . — Map (db m109046) HM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — Irish CSA Soldiers
U.D.C. Marker to eight Irish CSA soldiers probably worked on railroad 1860-1861 Erected by Captain Nathaniel A. Wesson United Daughters of the Confederacy 1992 — Map (db m109049) WM
Tennessee (Benton County), Camden — 4A 55 — Senator Mildred Jolly Lashlee1906-1966
Mildred Jolly Lashlee was the first woman elected to the Tennessee Senate for a full “regular” term. Elected in November 1944, she represented the 26th Senatorial District. Before her election she was appointed to complete the term of . . . — Map (db m109048) HM
Tennessee (Henry County), Buchanan — Naval WarfareControlling the Tennessee River
This was a busy landing and crossing point on the Tennessee River; a waterway of strategic importance during the war. After the fall of Forts Henry and Donelson in February 1862, the Confederates’ hope of maintaining control of Paris Landing . . . — Map (db m109035) HM
Tennessee (Henry County), Paris — Confederate SoldiersHenry Co.
Henry Co. Confederate Soldiers — Map (db m109043) WM
Tennessee (Henry County), Paris — 4A 49 — Edwin Wiley Grove1850-1927
Born in Hardeman County, E.W. Grove came to Paris, Tennessee, in 1874 as a pharmacist. He developed in 1878 Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic, which was sold worldwide through the Paris Medicine Company, as a malaria treatment and preventative. By 1891, . . . — Map (db m108997) HM
Tennessee (Henry County), Paris — 4A 15 — James Davis Porter
Born near here Dec. 17,1828. Member, General Assembly of 1859, later served the Confederacy as Chief of Staff to Gen. B.P. Cheatham. Member, Constitutional Convention of 1870. Governor, 1875-79; president N.C. & St. L. RR, 1880-1884. Assistant . . . — Map (db m108999) HM
Tennessee (Henry County), Paris — 4A 38 — John DeWitt Clinton Atkins(1825-1908)
Born in Henry County, J.D.C. Atkins was a member, Tenn. General Assembly, 1849-53 and 1855-57; U.S. Congressman, 1857-59 and 1873-83; Lt. Col., 5th TN Infantry, CSA. 1861; Rep., Confederate Congress, 1861-65; co-founder, Paris Intelligencer, 1867; . . . — Map (db m108998) HM
Tennessee (Henry County), Paris — 4A 45 — John Wesley Crockett1807-52
From 1837 to 1841, John W. Crockett, the son of David Crockett, represented the same congressional district as his father, after the legendary frontiersman died at the Alamo in 1836. He married Martha Hamilton in 1828 and practiced law in Paris. . . . — Map (db m109045) HM
Tennessee (Henry County), Paris — Slave
"Now they have come to the place where their faith can no longer feed on the bread of repression and violence. They ask for the bread of liberty of public responsibility. It must not be denied them.” Dr. W. Mordecai Johnson, Educator, . . . — Map (db m109044)
Texas (Falls County), Marlin — 2568 — Hot Mineral Water
A well drilled on this site in 1892, in an effort to secure a public water supply, produced 48,000 gallons of hot mineral water daily from an artesian deposit underlying the area. At first believed unfit for human use, analysis proved the water . . . — Map (db m109028) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 876 — City Library Building
. . . — Map (db m109027) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 18523 — Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1867
From the time of the first European settlers in Texas, yellow fever was a serious concern. Transmitted through mosquitoes, epidemics in the summer months were prevalent in coastal cities all over North America in the nineteenth century. At the time, . . . — Map (db m109026) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Schulenburg — 3156 — Site of Former Town of Lyons
Early town on land grant of Keziah Cryer. Named for settler James Lyons, killed by 1837 Indian raiders, who kidnapped his son Warren. In 1860s town had stores, Masonic Lodge, school, post office and was on "Cotton Road" to Mexico, but it died . . . — Map (db m109024) HM
Texas (Washington County), Burton — 8388 — Site of St. Paul-Rehburg School
Although the earliest written records of the St. Paul and Rehburg Schools date to 1880 and 1883 respectively, local tradition suggests they originated with informal classes held at the homes of pioneer farmers in this area of Washington County in . . . — Map (db m109025) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Addison — Northern Terminal of the Crown Point Military Road

Near this spot on the shore of the lake was the Northern Terminal of the Crown Point Military Road built by Gen. Amherst, in 1759 — Map (db m109079) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Charlotte — Quinlan Schoolhouse

This school was one of thirteen one-room schoolhouses in Charlotte. It was built around 1850 and was in use until 1950. One-room schoolhouses were built throughout the town in order to educate the children of nearby farm families. Children . . . — Map (db m108961) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Charlotte — World War II Memorial1941 • 1945

Charlotte Honor Roll

[Died in service] William M. St.George • Romeo LeClair George Sturgeon • Parker D. Leonard

[Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m108963) WM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Charlotte — World War Memorial1918

The Roll of Honor of Charlotte, Vermont

[Died in service] Harry Hanks • DeLial W. Magee • Julius S. Munnette

[Veterans] William F. Abare • Donald Aunchman • Edward J. Bessette, Jr. Harold H. Bessette • Moses Booska • Roy . . . — Map (db m108960) WM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Flat World, 2008Aaron T Stephan (Portland, Maine, b. 1974- ) — Cast iron. Courtesy of the artist and Samsøñ Projects, Boston

Aaron T Stephan believes that most world globes are relics of the past, arguing that they "fail to represent the complexities of globalization, world growth, and the interrelations of cultures and peoples." Comprised of twenty cast iron . . . — Map (db m109011) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Shelburne — Welcome to Shelburne Museum

Shelburne Museum's founder Electra Havemeyer Webb (1888-1960) was a pioneering collector of American folk art who established the Museum in 1947 to celebrate, in her words, "the art of everyday people" and to create "an educational project, . . . — Map (db m109010) HM

Virginia, Richmond — Coburn Hall — Virginia Union University
Coburn Hall was constructed in 1899 and named for Maine governor Abner Coburn. It held Virginia Union’s original chapel and library collection. Many legendary pastors and scholars preached and lectured in Coburn Hall, including Dr. Martin Luther . . . — Map (db m108984) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Virginia Union University 150th Anniversary Memorial“Creating a Bridge to Intellectual Freedom Through Its Distinguished Alumni” — 1865
In Apri of 1865, the American Baptist Home Mission Society (ABHMS) sends teaches and missionaries to Richmond, VA to educate newly freed slaves and the work of Richmond Theological School for Freedmen begins. Classes are held in several small . . . — Map (db m108983) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Janesville — James E. Croft
Croft, Pvt James E 20 March 1897 Allatoona GA 12th Bty Wis Lt Art Medal of Honor Citation:Took the place of a gunner who had been shot down and inspired his comrades by his bravery and effective gunnery, which contributed largely to the . . . — Map (db m109005) WM

150 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement