Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

436 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 236
 
Charles Lennox Monument image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., November 12, 2017
Charles Lennox Monument
Ontario (Carleton County), Richmond — Charles Lennox4th Duke of Richmond and Lennox — 4e Duc de Richmond et de Lennox

Charles Lennox was appointed Commander-in-Chief of all the British North American colonies and Governor-in-Chief of Lower Canada in May 1818. He received a mandate to improve the colonies' defences and inland navigation system. Lennox . . . — Map (db m109977) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Air Force / Force aérienne

From the beginnings of flight, our aviators have served with courage and skill, high in the skies, in defence of freedom in all corners of the World.

Clouds over which our aviators fly and colours of the fields below are conveyed by these . . . — Map (db m110340) WM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Army / Armée

Backed by proud tradition, our soldiers guard our homeland and bravely serve at great costs to resist aggression and protect liberty in many lands.

Red poppies symbolize their sacrifice, complemented by the many blue oceans they . . . — Map (db m110351) WM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Carriage Shed / Hangar à chariots

Used to support Milling operations, the Carriage Shed, allowed farmers to rest their horses, while they waited for their grain to be milled or feed to be mixed. It was also used to stored [sic] and sell products, such as carriages . . . — Map (db m110299) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Dickinson House / Maison Dickinson

Pictured in 1870, Dickinson House was originally built by American born Moss Kent Dickinson for his business and was modelled after Abraham Lincoln's house in Springfield, Illinois. The house ultimately became home to the Dickinson, . . . — Map (db m110309) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Family Life / la vie familiale

Since the late 1800s Dickinson Square has influenced the development of Manotick, the Ottawa region and beyond. It steadfastly remains one of the last industry-based village squares in Ontario. Over the past 150 years the Dickinson, . . . — Map (db m110311) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Homefront / Front intérieur

In national crises, people across our land unite in determination and effort to boost production and morale, vital to our cause.

These plants portray a patchwork of communities and farms across the country.

En temps de crise nationale, . . . — Map (db m110335) WM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Manotick Remembrance Park / Parc du Souvenir de Manotick

This is a place to remember and to reflect with gratitude on the contributions made by those who served their country in war and peace.

The park contains six floral gardens dedicated to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Merchant Navy, Peacekeeping . . . — Map (db m110319) WM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Merchant Navy / Marine marchande

In wartime, merchant mariners have collectively faced constant danger and heavy losses to carry vital supplies and personnel across the oceans.

These plants depict the many crossings of our mariners, with yellow symbolizing the hope of our . . . — Map (db m110332) WM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Navy / Marine

On the high seas, our sailors defend our sovereignty, protect sea lanes and support our troops, ever ready to heed the call of far flung allies.

Ship bells and white foam of ocean wavers are illustrated here.

En haute mer, nos marins . . . — Map (db m110346) WM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Peacekeeping / Casques bleus

Our peacekeepers in blue berets have won international respect and Canadian pride in serving with the United Nations to resolve strife and promote democracy.

Canadian native plants are combined with many other named for lands of our major . . . — Map (db m110327) WM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — The Clapp Family Barns / Les granges de la famille Clapp

This Park is located on the former site of the Clapp Family Barns. Note the remnants of the barn foundation around this sign. The barn complex, shown here, is in front of the old bridge whose abutment remains behind the Cenotaph.

Johnston . . . — Map (db m110356) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — The Long Island Mill

An outstanding example of mill architecture in Ontario, this grist-mill was constructed by Thomas Langrell, an Ottawa contractor, for Moss K. Dickinson (1822-97) and Joseph M. Currier (1820-84), the owners of a nearby sawmill. The Long Island . . . — Map (db m110294) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — The Mill and Manotick / Le moulin et Manotick

After the War of 1812 between Britain and the United States, many citizens of Upper and Lower Canada feared Americans had unfinished business with Canada. As a result, the Rideau Canal was constructed as part of a military system to . . . — Map (db m110301) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — War Memorial Cenotaph

In memory of those men and women of the Canadian and Allied Forces, who made the supreme sacrifice for their country, in times of war, peace or peacekeeping.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM — Map (db m110318) WM

Costa Rica, Guanacaste (Municipalidad de Liberia), Liberia — Heriberto Rodríguez Chinchilla
Con esta escultura El Boyero Realizada por el artista Guanacasteco Johny Garcia Clachar se rinde homenaje al fundador del Hotel Boyeros Heriberto Rodriguez Chinchilla quien es representado en ella, como tributo a la extraordinaria . . . — Map (db m110305) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — Braulio Carrillo Colina
Benemerito y arquitecto del estado costarricense Braulio Carrillo Colina Nace en 1800 Muere en 1845 Los que tratan de seducir la ignorancia nunca tendrán por resultado otra cosa que causar inmensos males a la sociedad su propia ruina y el . . . — Map (db m109978) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — Juan Mora Fernández
Benemerito de la Patria Juan Mora Fernandez Primer Jefe del Estado de Costa Rica 1824-1833 15 de Septiembre 1921 Homenaje de la Academia de Geografia e Historia 1951 English translation: To the Most Worthy of the Nation Juan Mora . . . — Map (db m110261) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — Juan Rafael Mora Porras
Calle Juan Rafael Mora P. Homenaje de la Academia Costarricense de la Historia en el año centenario de la Campaña de 1856-1857 1856-1956 English translation: Juan Rafael Mora Porras Street Tribute from the Costa Rican . . . — Map (db m110262) WM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — Monument to the National Flag of Costa Rica
Monumento a la Bandera Nacional El 12 de noviembre de 1848 Siendo Presidente de la Republica Don Jose Maria Castro Madriz y confeccionado por Doña Pacifica Fernandez de Castro en este lugar se izo nuestro pabellón nacional por vez primera 1848 . . . — Map (db m110194) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — The 150th Anniversary of the First Catholic Diocese in Costa Rica
El Cabildo Metropolitano. En el sesquicentenario de la fundacion de la Primera Diocesis en Costa Rica. San Jose 28 de febrero de 1850. En el Arzobispado de su Excelencia Monseñor Doctor. Roman Arrieta Villalobos y su Obispo Auxiliar Monseñor. . . . — Map (db m110201) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — The Declaration of Central American Independence
1821 – 1971 Frente a este lugar hace 150 años el Ayuntamiento de San Jose recibió y confirmo la Declaracion de la Independencia de Centroamerica Liceo de San Jose 15 de Septiembre English translation: 1821 - 1971 150 years ago, . . . — Map (db m110191) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — The University of Santo Tomás
En este lugar estuvo situada la Universidad de Santo Tomas erigida por Decreto XI de 3 de mayo de 1843 e inaugurada el 21 de abril de 1844. Homenaje de la Academia de Geografia e Historia de Costa Rica y del Banco Anglo Costarricense San . . . — Map (db m110221) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Celaya), Celaya — Miguel Hidalgo in Celaya
La Agrupacion "Miguel Hidalgo" conmemora con esta lapida el centenario de la estancia en este edificio del venerable Padre de la Patria. Celaya, 21 de septiembre de 1910. English translation: The “Miguel Hidalgo” . . . — Map (db m110147) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Celaya), Celaya — Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
La ciudad de Celaya, un paso mas en el camino de la insurgencia. Al que abrio las puertas de la libertad y convirtio los grilletes en derechos. English translation: The city of Celaya was one more step for the Insurgents on the road to . . . — Map (db m110145) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Celaya), Celaya — The Temple and Ex-convent of Our Lady of Carmen
Templo y Ex-convento de Nuestra Señora del CarmenSin duda uno de los ejemplos de arquitectura neoclásica más importantes del país, el Templo del Carmen de Celaya, se erige en sustitución al Templo originalmente construido por uno de los más . . . — Map (db m110151) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Amealco), Amealco de Bonfil — The 400th Anniversary of the Founding of Amealco
IV Centenario de la Fundacion de Amealco, Qro. 1538-1938. English translation: The 400th anniversary of the founding of Amealco, Querétaro 1538-1938 — Map (db m110284) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — La Cañada
La H. XXXV Legislatura Constitucional del Estado, mediante Ley número 82 expedida el 21 de Diciembre de 1948, restituyó a esta Villa el nombre de La Cañada, que primitivamente tuvo, dándole al Municipio de que es cabecera a la denominación de . . . — Map (db m110382) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Bicentennial of Mexican Independenceand The Centennial of the Mexican Revolution
En el bicentenario de la Independencia Nacional y el centenario de la Revolución Mexicana, pueblo y gobierno de El Marqués rinden homenaje perenne a los héroes que no legaron libertad y democracias a los mexicanos El Marqués, Origen y Destino La . . . — Map (db m110414) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Chapel of the Holy SpiritLa Capilla del Espíritu Santo
Capilla del Espiritu SantoEs una de las capillas que se edificaron en los barrios indígenas de la ciudad. Su construcción fue realizada por Don Diego de Tapia a finales del siglo XVI, para ofrecer servicios religiosos a los naturales. La . . . — Map (db m110505) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Ann Oldfield1683 - 1730
Actress First occupant of this house 1725-1730 — Map (db m110232) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Canaletto
Antonio Canal called Canaletto (1697 - 1768) Venetian Painter
lived here — Map (db m110190) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Charles Bridgeman
Landscape Gardener lived here 1723-1738 — Map (db m110225) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Dr. John Snow1813 - 1858
Pioneer Anaesthetist and Epidemiologist lived in a house on this site — Map (db m110228) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Duck Island CottageSwiss Chalet for a British Bird-Keeper
This pretty cottage was built in 1841 as the home of the bird-keeper in St. James's Park. It also had a club room for the Ornithological Society of London, which once helped to look after the park's duck and geese. The design, like a Swiss . . . — Map (db m110146) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Farm Street ChurchJesuit Church of the Immaculate Conception
This Church of the Society of Jesus in the Mayfair district of London, is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and has special place in the hearts of many people, Popularly known as Farm Street Church, it harks back to . . . — Map (db m110250) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John William Polidori1795 - 1821
Poet & Novelist Author of 'The Vampyre' born & died here — Map (db m110175) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Stanley of Preston
. . . — Map (db m110159) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Percy Bysshe Shelley1792 - 1822
Poet lived here in 1811 — Map (db m110219) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Alexander Korda1893 - 1956
Film Producer worked here 1932-1936 — Map (db m110230) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Artists Rifles
was formed here at the studio of Henry Wyndham Phillips 1860 — Map (db m110233) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — William Hazlitt1778-1830
Essayist died here — Map (db m110130) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Charles Kitterbell
Here lived Charles Kitterbell as related by Charles Dickens in sketches by Boz "The Bloomsbury Christening" — Map (db m110268) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dame Millicent Garrett Fawcett1847 - 1929
pioneer of women's suffrage lived and died here — Map (db m110256) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — First Anaesthesia in England
The first anaesthetic given in England was administered in a house on this site 19 December 1846 — Map (db m110133) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Hilda Doolittle
H.D. (Hilda Doolittle) Poet and Writer lived here 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m110185) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Horizon Magazine
George Orwell 1903-1950 Sir Stephen Spender 1909-1995 wrote for Cyril Connolly's Horizon Magazine based here 1940-1948 — Map (db m110285) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — R.H. Tawney1880 - 1962
Historian, Teacher, and Political Writer lived here — Map (db m110182) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Richard Trevithick
Close to this place Richard Trevithick Born 1771 - Died 1833 Pioneer of High Pressure Steam ran in the year 1808 the first steam locomotive to draw passengers — Map (db m110144) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Robert Aickman1914 - 1981
Author and co-founder of The Inland Waterways Association lived and worked here — Map (db m110188) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Hans Sloane1660 - 1753
Physician Benefactor of the British Museum lived here 1695-1742 — Map (db m110288) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir James Matthew Barrie
Sir James Matthew Barrie Bart., O.M. 1860-1937 Novelist, Dramatist and creator of 'Peter Pan' lived in a house on this site 1885-1888 — Map (db m110376) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Syed Ahmed Khan1817 - 1898
Muslim Reformer and Scholar lived here 1869-1870 — Map (db m110176) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — The White Conduit
In the rear is The White Conduit (circa 1300.A.D) Originally part of the water supply to the Greyfriars Monastery Newgate Street — Map (db m110387) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Thomas Henry Wyatt1807 - 1880
Architect lived and died here — Map (db m110270) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Topham and Lady Diana Beauclerk
Here lived Topham Beauclerk Born 1739 Died 1780 Lady Diana Beauclerk Born 1734 Died 1808 — Map (db m110258) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Vera Brittain and Winifred Holtby
Vera Brittain 1893-1970 Winifred Holtby 1898-1935 Writers and Reformers lived here — Map (db m110271) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Aaron Gus Green
In 2001, Aaron Green, a Taliesin Fellow and a member of the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects, was awarded the very first Gold Medal by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. — Map (db m109411) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Homer J. Givens
For unparalleled bravery on the battlefield in France during World War I, Corporal Homer Givens was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French government which hailed him as the war's first American hero. — Map (db m109412) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Jonathan Quinn Pettus
Named Associate Director of Marshall Space Flight Center in 2016, Jonathan Pettus was honored whith the NASA Medal for Outstanding Leadership in 2005 and the Presidential Rank Award of Distinguished Executives in 2009. — Map (db m109413) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Livingston State College
Chartered in 1840 as Livingston Collegiate Institute (1835: Female Presbyterian Academy planned). In 1883, by work of Julia Tutwiler, Alabama legislature made its first grant of funds to a girls school. In 1907: State Normal school. In 1929: became . . . — Map (db m109526) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Los Gatos — Burrell School
In 1852, Lynman J. Burrell settled an area along the Santa Cruz Mountains and eventually establish Burrell Village. Burrell School is the last remaining structure of Burrell Village. Established in 1879, it served Santa Clara and Santa Cruz County . . . — Map (db m110267) HM
California (Sonoma County), Cloverdale — Gould--Shaw House
Gould-Shaw House Thomas Jefferson Gould, an Indiana born blacksmith, built this house, which has become an important part of the town’s history, in 1862. One of the few surviving examples of Gothic Revival architecture, the house is the oldest . . . — Map (db m109979) HM
Colorado (Sedgwick County), Ovid — "Dinky" Locomotive
Known as the “Dinky,” this unit was owned and operated by the Great Western Sugar Co. from 1926 to 1985. Its primary function was to shuttle rail cars of coal, lime-rock, beets and sugar in the Ovid factory yards. Donated to the . . . — Map (db m110323) HM
Colorado (Sedgwick County), Ovid — Ovid, Colorado
350 rods southeast of this site is the famous and hazardous Upper California Crossing of the South Platte River which was used by the intrepid riders of the Pony Express in 1860-1861. Ovid was incorporated at this site in 1925. Erected in . . . — Map (db m110329) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 6 — School DaysBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
The School Building Just Ahead of You Opened In 1912 as the Military Road School, the area's third public elementary for African Americans. For decades it was the only public school serving black children in Upper Northwest and nearby . . . — Map (db m110235) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — This building known as the Octagon...
This building known as the Octagon built in 1800 for Col. John Tayloe of Mount Airy, Virginia, was occupied by President Madison after the burning of the President's House by the British on August 14, 1814. Here the Treaty of Ghent was ratified by . . . — Map (db m110058) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Totten — In Memory of Those Who Lost Their Lives on June 22, 2009Red Line Metro Crash
In memory of those who lost their lives on June 22, 2009 Mary "Mandy" Doolittle Veronica Dubose Ana Fernandez Dennis Hawkins Lavonda "Nikki" King Jeanice McMillan Ann Wherley David F. Wherley, Jr. Cameron . . . — Map (db m110062) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Colonel Ninian Beall
Born Scotland 1625 - Died Maryland 1717 Patentee of Rock of Dunbarton Member of the House of Burgesses Commander in Chief of Provincial Forces of Maryland in grateful recognition of his services "upon all incursions and disturbances of . . . — Map (db m110022) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herring Hill
Front: Herring Hill You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil . . . — Map (db m110018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Potomac No. 5
Potomac No. 5 F.A.A.M. Chartered April 21, 1789 Potomac Lodge has occupied this site since 1859 — Map (db m110023) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Poulton HallBuilt 1947
The building commemorates Father Ferdinand Poulton, S.J. a founding member of the American Jesuit Community, who arrived in Maryland in 1638. The building was acquired under the College Building Program of the Federal Works Agency. North . . . — Map (db m110020) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverent Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m110021) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The PilgrimBy Vicki Winters Reid
The Pilgrim By Vicki Winters Reid St. Ignatius of Loyola 1491-1556 Founder of the Society of Jesus 1540 — Map (db m110019) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Washington Before Washington
Front: In 1608 Captain John Smith sailed up the Potomac, the first European to lay eyes on this site. At that time, ships could sail up to this point, and beautiful bluffs led down to the water. Algonquin Indians lived here in great . . . — Map (db m110015) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Judiciary Square — Discover DC / Judiciary Square
Welcome to downtown Washington DC - an area rich in history, culture and places to see. You will enjoy visiting the following sites located in the vicinity of this sign. Clockwise from top: "Lone Sailor" at the US Navy . . . — Map (db m110214) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), LeDroit Park — 16 of 16 — The Doctor Is InWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
Front: When I was at Dunbar, I thought I wanted to be a doctor. In our community, doctors were the men who made the most money, earned the most respect and had the prettiest wives." The Doctor Is In Across the street at . . . — Map (db m110272) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), LeDroit Park — 5 of 16 — The University Next DoorWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
Front: Howard University's Employment, educational, and cultural opportunities have attracted and kept families in LeDroit Park and Bloomingdale for generations. Ettyce Hill Moore, a third generation Washingtonian who grew up at 128 V . . . — Map (db m110269) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Manor Park — Fort SlocumCivil War Defenses of Washington — 1861-1865
No visible evidence remains of Fort Slocum, which stood here and across Kansas Avenue to your left. Cannon mounted at Fort Totten helped repulse a Confederate attack on Fort Stevens, July 11-12, 1864. — Map (db m110283) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Chief Petty Officers'Centennial Time Capsule — 2093
The rank of chief petty officer - the senior position among naval enlisted ranks - was established by the Navy Department in 1893. A time capsule was placed within this foundation on 13 October 1993 to be opened in the chiefs’ bicentennial year . . . — Map (db m109755) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Houseboats on the Waterfront
Preparations for World War II ended plans of filling the Southwest yacht basins with pleasure crafts. Instead, a severe housing shortage during the war turned the waterfront into a home for houseboats, providing an obvious alternative for the many . . . — Map (db m109983) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — In memory of the lives lost in the Oklahoma City Bombing...
In memory of the lives lost in the Oklahoma City Bombing at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building April 19, 1995 Redbud Trees (Oklahoma State Tree) Dedicated to the memory of Steven Curry and Michael Loudenslager GSA . . . — Map (db m110059) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Underground Railroad and Waterway
In April 1848, the largest slave escape attempt on record in the Unites States took place at the Southwest Waterfront. Seventy-seven men, women, and children boarded the schooner Pearl to sail to freedom, but were ultimately recaptured. The . . . — Map (db m110136) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest Washington — Jefferson Pier — [Washington Monument]
Position of Jefferson Pier, erected Dec. 18, 1804 Recovered and re-erected Dec. 2, 1889 . . . District of Columbia — Map (db m110282) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Takoma — Takoma Station Tavern
Established in 1984, Takoma Station Tavern was born of a vision of Bobby Boyd (1934-2011). Mr. Boyd envisioned an entertainment complex not as an entrepreneurial venture but a venue that incorporated the spirit of family, community and unwavering . . . — Map (db m110244) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — 320th Bomb Group
In memory of WWII Fallen Comrades of 320th Bomb Group Dedication on 40th Anniversary September 11th, 1982 — Map (db m110211) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Asteroids and Comets
You are standing in the "asteroid belt," a region between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter where countless rocks called asteroids orbit the Sun. Every so often icy body called comets pass through this region on their way to the inner solar system. . . . — Map (db m110092) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Bald Cypress • Ártu (ar-too)
In the middle of the wetlands, you can see the entire life cycle of the unusual bald cypress tree. A fallen cypress was placed in the wetlands to evoke an authentic wetlands environment--and a young cypress has begun to grow out of the stump of the . . . — Map (db m110077) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Broadleaf Cattail • Káhkáhaskwar (kaw-kaw-has-quar)
Nearly every Native community in North America has used the cattail as food, medicine, or raw material for baskets and mats. The cattail contains ten times the amount of starch as potatoes--an important source of energy. The Micmac and . . . — Map (db m110076) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Can you hear the echo of the water bouncing off the rock?
Shhhh, quiet please! Listen. Can you hear the echo of the water bouncing off the rock? Stand in front of this boulder, and listen to the echo of the water. This stone surface amplifies sound, just like ancient Mayan ball courts. In . . . — Map (db m110088) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Cardinal Direction Marker: South
This boulder traveled more than 18,000 miles from the southernmost point of South America! Between 65 and 145 million years old, this granite stone was given to the museum by the Yagán people of Chile. The Yagán want this stone to represent their . . . — Map (db m110071) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Cardinal Direction Marker: West
This 300-year-old lava stone has a name: Kane Po. After a 20-year stay at the museum, it will return to its home in the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park near Hilo. Native Hawaiians consider it to be a living relative. It is one of four Cardinal . . . — Map (db m110090) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Cardinal Direction Markers
Native peoples honor the Four Directions through ceremony, song, art, and architecture. On the edges of the museum site, four large stones known as Cardinal Direction Markers honor Native cultures of the north, south, east, and west. Can you . . . — Map (db m110081) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Earth
Earth These tiny spheres are the planet Earth and its Moon at one 10-billionth actual size. If Earth were this big, how far away would the Sun and other planets be? Look at the map on the lower panel to find our position in the solar . . . — Map (db m110091) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — 26/7920 — George RiveraPojoaque Pueblo
George Rivera Pojoaque Pueblo Buffalo Dancer II Case bronze, ed. 2/4 26/7920 Gift of the Pueblo of Pojoaque, George Rivera and Glenn Green Galleries For the Pueblo Indians of the Southwest, the Buffalo Dance is an enduring . . . — Map (db m110079) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Lunar Calendars
The circles and moon phases marked on the pavement refer to a phenomenon known as lunar standstills. Lunar standstills occur every 18.6 years when the moon reaches a northern extreme at summer solstice and a southern extreme at winter solstice. . . . — Map (db m110068) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Meadow
This museum's meadow environment consists of abundant grasses, wildflowers, and shrubs. The plants are perennials, growing or lying dormant with the seasons. Plant Medicine Meadows are important sources of medicinal plants used by . . . — Map (db m110066) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Nora Naranjo-MorseSanta Clara Pueblo, b. 1953
Nora Naranjo-Morse Santa Clara Pueblo, b. 1953 Always Becoming Mud mixture (soil, sand, straw, and water), clay, stone, black locust wood, bamboo, yam vines, and pigment 26/5840 Naranjo-Morse and her family return annually . . . — Map (db m110067) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Nora Naranjo-MorseSanta Clara Pueblo, b. 1953
Nora Naranjo-Morse Santa Clara Pueblo, b. 1953 Always Becoming Mud mixture (soil, sand, straw, and water), clay, stone, black locust wood, bamboo, yam vines, and pigment. 26/5840 Naranjo-Morse and her family return annually . . . — Map (db m110069) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — 26/8852 — Rick Bartow (1946-2016)
Rick Bartow (1946-2016) Wiyot Oregon We Were Always Here, 2012 Old-growth Western red cedar, Port Orford cedar, old-growth Douglas fir, oak, maple, stain, sealer Commissioned from the artist 2011 (26/8852) In . . . — Map (db m110089) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Sassafras • Wináhk (Wee-nock)
For centuries, Native peoples have used the bark, roots, and leaves of the sassafras tree as medicine and flavoring in food and beverages. As Native peoples taught settlers how to harvest and use sassafras, demand grew quickly. In the 1700s, . . . — Map (db m110087) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Sunflower • Wádxaweew (wah-ha-way-oh)
First cultivated by Native peoples in the Southwest nearly 3,000 years ago, the sunflower has become one of the most well-known and highly prized plants across the world. The Hidatsa, who live in present-day North Dakota, cultivated several . . . — Map (db m110072) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — T.S.C. Lowe's Observation Flight
On June 18, 1861, T.S.C. Lowe made a tethered observation flight with his gas-filled balloon Enterprise from a spot on the National Mall in front of where the National Air and Space Museum now stands. During this flight, he sent the first telegram . . . — Map (db m110044) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Traditional Croplands
Agricultural Gifts to the World About 60 percent of the world's diet today is derived from Native American foods, such as potatoes, chilies, tomatoes, and even chocolate! Native peoples encouraged the growth of various plants together . . . — Map (db m110070) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Upland Hardwood Forest
You are standing next to an upland hardwood forest--a group of shrubs and more than 30 species of trees--that reflects the dense forests of the Blue Ridge Mountains and other local sites. The Forests' Bounty The Nanticoke and other . . . — Map (db m110083) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Uranus
Uranus This is the planet Uranus and its 4 largest moons at one 10-billionth actual size. If Uranus were this big, how far away would Earth and other planets be? look at the map on the lower panel to find your position in the solar . . . — Map (db m110095) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Wetlands
These diverse wetlands--and the ducks, squirrels, and dragonflies that make their home here--represent the original Chesapeake Bay environment, the largest estuary in North America. Chesapeake means "Great Shellfish Bay" in the Algonquian . . . — Map (db m110074) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — What is a Grandfather Rock?
The Cheyenne refer to boulders as Grandfathers, the oldest beings on Earth. There are 40 Grandfather Rocks surrounding the museum, greeting and welcoming our visitors. How many can you find?Map (db m110078) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — WingapoWelcome to a Native Place — Native American Astronomy
Native American Astronomy Over thousands of years, Native peoples have studied the moon as a guide for agricultural and ceremonial cycles. For the Powhatan, the month known as May was called the Corn Planting Moon. They kept time by noting . . . — Map (db m110065) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — WingapoWelcome to a Native Place — Lessons from the Sun
Lessons from the Sun The museum doors--etched with sun symbols--open to the east and greet the rising sun as do many traditional Native homes. Most Native peoples honor the sun as a life-giver and calendar, instructing when to plant, harvest, . . . — Map (db m110073) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — Highland and St. Clair Street
The Florida East Coast Railway arrived in Eau Gallie on May 20, 1893. The first engine arrived on June 24, 1893. A ticket from Jacksonville to Eau Gallie was $7.00. Eau Gallie was the terminus while construction continued to Miami. A "Y" was built . . . — Map (db m110315) HM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Fort Walton Beach — F-94 — Fort Walton
Originally called Camp Walton, this Confederate installation, constructed in 1861 to guard East Pass, was garrisoned by a company of Florida militia called the "Walton Guards". Several small skirmishes with federal landing parties occurred near . . . — Map (db m110313) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — Nellie Margaret Harris ApplinIn Memory of Mayor Margaret Martin — Honoring Our Veterans
Dedicated in 2007, the Kingston Veterans Monument, vision in 1999 by Mrs. Nellie Margaret Harris Applin, stands in honor of the lives of four hundred brave men and women whom served their country with valor, honor and dignity. This memorial resulted . . . — Map (db m110317) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Taylorsville — Stilesboro Academy1859
Prior to the Civil War the state did not provide for public education. Consequently, the settlers in the Stilesboro community decided to erect an academy for the education of their children. A public subscription raised $5,000 to erect the school. . . . — Map (db m110295) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — In Grateful Appreciation of The Boys of Ben Hill Co.
Who gave their service during the World War — Map (db m110406) WM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Camp Oglethorpe"...such large wolfish eyes!" — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
After the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee, on April 6 & 7, 1862, the Confederate government selected Macon as a Federal prisoner-of-war camp site. The Macon Fair and Parade Grounds was used to incarcerate 900 prisoners-of-war later that spring. Named . . . — Map (db m110167) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Fencing from Findlay Foundry
This fencing was manufactured c. 1856 at the Findlay Foundry and once enclosed the Robert Findlay estate. The Findlay Foundry was operated by the Confederate States Ordnance Bureau as the Macon Arsenal from 1862 -1865. — Map (db m110385) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — A Crew Of Sky Queen
91st   324th BG      BS A Crew Of Sky Queen  1st Lt George McEwen    P 2nd Lt Frank Fornaca      CP 2nd Lt Edward Hoevet    B       F/O John Dickson       N  S/Sgt Robert Cleveland  E  S/Sgt Richard Hanley      R . . . — Map (db m109999) WM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — U.S. Navy Supply Corps School / Former Site of Georgia State Normal School
U.S. Navy Supply Corps School Commissioned on this site 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School is the “Home” of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Supply Corps officers receive basic . . . — Map (db m110255) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kailua-Kona — Ala LoaState Site 10942 Ka'ūpūlehu Ahupua'a
You are walking along a segment of the ala loa (long path), a Hawaiian foot trail that linked settlement areas along the coast from Kealakekua to Kawaihae. This segment of the trail was also identified as a traditional route for the huaka'i pō, . . . — Map (db m110501) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kailua-Kona — Habitation Site
This archaeological site contains several residential and food storage features, and was first occupied on a temporary basis during the early 1800s. Fishing and collecting marine resources was the primary economic activity for residents of this . . . — Map (db m110504) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kailua-Kona — Hawaiian Trail
This is a portion of an ala loa (long path) or ala kahakai (a more recent term meaning trail by the sea) that follows the coastline. The Hawaiians of old used it to connect communities for socializing and exchanging goods, as well as to arrive at . . . — Map (db m110506) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kailua-Kona — Kumukea/Kumukēhu Point
This projection of land, more properly known by an older name, Kumukea Point, is a significant landmark of coastal Kekaha. The surface 'a'ā lava that covers this area is the result of the historic Ka'ūpūlehu Flow of 1801, which was . . . — Map (db m110507) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kailua-Kona — Waiulu Kīpuka
By virtue of being a named place, Waiulu was clearly known by the people of old. It is a place of note recounted by elders in the area. A hālau wa'a (canoe house) was located here, indicating a good landing. One of the important factors that . . . — Map (db m110502) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kailua-Kona — Waiulu Kīpuka
Despite the naturally arid conditions of the surrounding landscape, there a few sources of drinkable water within this part of coastal Kekaha. One of these is located a short distance inland from this location. It is known as Waiulu, which is . . . — Map (db m110503) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kapaau — 1st BN., 141st Infantry Regiment
To the 100/442nd Infantry Regiment With Deep Sincerity and Upmost Appreciation for The Gallant Fight to Effect Our Rescue After We Had Been Isolated for Seven Days 1st BN., 141st Infantry Regiment Biffontaine, France From . . . — Map (db m110328) WM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Birthplace of KauikeaouliKamahameha III — 1814 - 1854
Kauikeaouli, the second son of Kamehameha I and Keōpūolani, was born within this enclosure. Stillborn, he was cleansed in the water of Ka'opa Spring at the edge of the bay and revived as he laid upon the large rock to the left. . . . — Map (db m110292) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Kauikeaouli and Nāhi'ena'ena
Kauikeaouli and Nāhi'ena'ena An inscribed stone tablet commemorates the nearby birth site of Kauikeaouli who went on to rule Hawai'i as King Kamehameha III. His sister, Princess Nāhi'ena'ena, was also born in Keauhou about . . . — Map (db m110300) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Kauikeaouli, Kamehameha III
Son of Kamehameha I and Keōpūolani Born March 17, 1814 Died December 15, 1854 Ka Moi Lokomarkai — Map (db m110296) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Keauhou BayThe Kekahuna Legacy
Cultural historian Henry E.P. Kekahuna was born on Maui in 1881 when many ancient Hawaiian traditions were still in practice. He listened and learned the stories of old. He explored and mapped many areas throughout Hawai'i in the 1950s. His . . . — Map (db m110310) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Royal Center at Keauhou Bay
In the time of the ruler 'Umi-a-Liloa, 22 generations before the time of King Kamehameha I, the Royal Center moved away from Waipi'o in the island's northern region. As a result of this move, Royal Centers developed along Kona's leeward coast, By . . . — Map (db m110308) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — The Kamehameha Dynasty
The Kamehameha Dynasty As a young man, Kamehameha was a proven warrior and political strategist who rose to power with the support of the chiefs of Kona and unified the island of Hawai'i under his leadership in the late 1700a. He embraced . . . — Map (db m110302) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Ancient Foot TrailTravelers
Much of the Ala Loa trail was built over an ancient foot trail which can still be seen here as it meanders beside the new trail. The section of the trail on the Kaniku lava flow remains intact and will be preserved. The trail was probably used . . . — Map (db m110403) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — High Chiefess Keōpūolani(1778-1823)
Chiefs of highest rank and sacred wife of Kamehameha I married in 1791. Mother of Kamehameha II, Kamehameha III and Princess Nāhi'ena;ena. Keōpūolani's extremely high-ranking ali'i (royalty) status prohibited people from looking at . . . — Map (db m110408) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Kuhina Nui Ka'ahumanu(1768-1832)
Born of ali'i (royalty) lineage, Ka'ahumanu married Kamehameha I as a young girl and became his favorite wife. When he died in 1819, she was named Kuhina Nui (Prime Minister) alongside young King Liholiho Kamehameha II. A powerful influence, she . . . — Map (db m110407) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Princess Bernice Pauahi(1831-1884)
Of high lineage she was a logical match for the highest born ali'i (royalty) of her generation. Courted by many, she was betrothed to her cousin King Kamehameha V. In 1848 Kamehameha V chose Pauahi as his successor to become queen. She declined the . . . — Map (db m110419) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Queen Emma(1836-1885)
Emmalani Na'ea Rooke Kaleleonalani was grand-niece of Kamehameha I and granddaughter of John Young, his royal advisor. She and husband Kamehameha IV had one son, Prince Albert, who died at the age of 4, followed not long after by his father. . . . — Map (db m110412) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Queen Kalama(1817-1870)
Kalama Hakaleleponi Kapakuhaili was the daughter of ali'i (royalty) Kaihekukui and Iahu'ula. She married Kauikeaouli Kamehameha III, who introduced the division and disbursement of traditional lands known as the "Great Mahele." A very well-educated . . . — Map (db m110410) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Queen Kapi'olani(1834-1899)
Ester Julia Kapiolani, granddaughter of Kaumuali'i, the last King of Kaua'i. Widow of Namakaeha, married King David Kalākaua in 1863 and as a gift he built Kapi'olani Park in Waikīkī in her honor. Deeply concerned about the moribund . . . — Map (db m110418) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Queen Lili'uokalani(1838-1917)
Lydia Liliuokalani Kamaka'eha Paki Dominis sister of Kalakaua, adopted by Paki and Konia, married John O. Dominis. Declared hear apparent on April, 11, 1877 following the death of her brother Prince Leleiohoku II. Ascended to the throne on January . . . — Map (db m110420) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waikoloa Village — Queen Victoria Kamāmalu(1802-1824)
Also known as Tamehamalu, Victoria Kamāmalu was the daughter of Kamehameha I and married Liholiho Kamehameha II. Only 5 years after he took the throne, the King and Queen sailed to London for a state visit with King George IV. While in England, . . . — Map (db m110409) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Clues from the Past... The Archaeology of Lapakahi
Archaeologists seek to understand people and places of the past by studying the sites and cultural remains left behind. Students from the University of Hawai'i conducted extensive excavations here between 1968 and 1970 to learn about the people of . . . — Map (db m110325) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Farming the Land, Fishing the SeaLapakahi State Historical Park
The ahupua'a is a traditional land division that runs mauka from the mountains to makai (seaward). The ahupua'a of Lapakahi encompasses more than 2,000 acres along the leeward slopes of the Kohala Mountains. The distance from the upland forests down . . . — Map (db m110324) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Hale o Kapuni Heiau
The submerged remains of Hale o Kapuni Heiau, a temple dedicated to shark akua (deities), are believed to lie just offshore. The heiau was built by a chief whose family revered sharks, believing that the family's 'aumākua (deified ancestors) . . . — Map (db m110377) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Mailekini Heiau
The remains of Mailekini Heiau, a temple used before the time of Kamehameha, stand before you. Many mysteries surround Mailekini Heiau; its early history, kept orally and secretly within the priesthood, was never recorded. Historians agree that . . . — Map (db m110367) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Pelekane
Who would suspect that the area at the base of this hill is one of the most significant cultural sites in Hawai'i? This plain-looking patch of earth was the site of Pelekane, one of several known royal compounds traditionally used by Hawaiian kings. . . . — Map (db m110369) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Waimea — Pu'ukohlā Heiau
Build a heiau on Pu'ukoholā, the "hill of the whale," dedicate it to your war god, and you will achieve your dream - you will rule the islands. Responding to this prophecy told by Kapoykahi, a famous seer, Kamehameha built the . . . — Map (db m110330) HM
Hawaii (Kauai County), Waimea — Camp Henry C. Drewes
January, 1944 The second AM Trac BN., U.S. Marines established Camp Henry C. Drewes on this site; here trained until May, 1944 Here we rested from battle... Prepared for another... And prayed for peace. Seal at center: . . . — Map (db m110378) HM
Idaho (Benewah County), Saint Maries — Mullan Trail Road
Capt. John Mullan U.S. Army Capt. John Mullan, US Army, Constructor and surveyor. He was directed to mark a wagon and railroad route from Fort Benton, Montana to Walla Walla, Washington from 1853-1855. He built the actual road . . . — Map (db m110000) HM
Idaho (Benewah County), Saint Maries — Splash Dam at Hobo Creek
Loggers used the splash dam system in the Marble Creek basin between 1915 and 1931. In 1923, Rutledge Lumber Company spent $16,352.25 building the dam depicted in this mural. Splash dams stored enough water to “flush” logs down small . . . — Map (db m109997) HM
Idaho (Benewah County), Saint Maries — Willamette Steam Donkey Engine
“A locomotive without wheels…” The Willamette donkeys were fueled by wood or oil, which generated steam to turn drums that were spooled with cable. Cables of 8,000 to 12,000 feet length were common. Because of the long . . . — Map (db m109998) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Bellevue — 413 — Magic Reservoir
Water from deep snow that falls on high mountain ridges north of here is stored each Spring in this reservoir to irrigate farm land near Shoshone and Richfield. Big Wood River flows past some hills that separate this valley from a broad plain . . . — Map (db m110116) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Bellevue — Timmerman Junction Oregon Trail Kiosk
(Five panels in the kiosk deal with the history of Goodale's Cutoff and the surrounding area) Idaho's Emigrant Trails Westward-bound emigrants entered Idaho after crossing Thomas Fork Valley. They soon encountered the climb . . . — Map (db m110138) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Bellevue — 154 — Wood River Mines
Rich strikes in 1879 led to a rush in the lead and silver mines of this valley. The famous Minnie Moore Mine alone produced a total of $8.4 million worth of ore. Mining quickly brought a railroad and prosperity. The Ketchum smelter pioneered . . . — Map (db m110115) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Carey — Water and Lava
As the pioneers passed through this parched landscape they were happy to find any available water. Most water is soaked up like a giant sponge when it reaches the lava fields, but here, small creeks to the north cover the porous lava rock with a . . . — Map (db m109897) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building101 S. Main St.
The original building on this site, called the Bullion Block, was constructed in 1882. It was at this time that Hailey became the county seat of Alturas County after a bitterly fought election with Bellevue, and the existing county seat, Rocky Bar. . . . — Map (db m110109) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — J.C. Fox Building115 S. Main St.
J.C. Fox, the original owner of the building and one of Hailey's founders, had it erected in 1920 after operating a general store three doors up the street for almost forty years. He served as mayor for two years and was vice-president of the Hailey . . . — Map (db m110113) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — J.J. Tracy Building111 S. Main St.
The J.J. Tracy Building was built as a drug store in 1906 by John J. Tracy. Already a pharmacist at the age of twenty-two, Tracy migrated to the West, spending three months in Kelton, Utah where he met William T. Riley, an entrepreneur and early . . . — Map (db m110111) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — Rialto Hotel201 S. Main St.
In 1934, Julio Astoriquia and his wife Maria Astoriquia invested their hard-saved money to buy two lots on Main Street in Hailey for construction of a hotel. Julio emigrated from the Basque region of Spain to the United States in 1913. He worked as . . . — Map (db m110114) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — W.H. Watt Building120 N. Main St.
The Watt Building is connected in local memory with W.H. Watt, who had the building erected as a bank. An 1889 fire that demolished the business district of Hailey left few buildings still standing. The rear portion of the building, which may date . . . — Map (db m110108) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 302 — Alexander Ross
Searching the mountain wilderness for beaver, Alexander Ross came up Wood River and discovered this summit, Sept. 18, 1824. Leading a large brigade of Hudson's Bay Company trappers, he wondered whether he ever could get through unknown . . . — Map (db m110051) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 484 — Galena
After Warren P. Callahan located a rich lead-silver mine here, April 26, 1876, thousands of eager treasure-hunters joined in a rush to Wood River in 1880 Successful prosectors discovered valuable lodes from here to Bellevue. Galena has a . . . — Map (db m110052) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — Ketchum
Pioneering explorer Alexander Ross visited the valley in search of beaver in 1821. The Hudson's Bay Company reported the area as "promising." Ketchum's short mining era began in 1879, after the Sheepeater War and the relocation of the Native . . . — Map (db m110105) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 292 — Salmon River
Rising as a small stream in the valley to the south, the Salmon winds 420 miles across Idaho before flowing into Snake River. Discovered in 1895 by Lewis and Clark, and explored with great difficulty by fur traders and prospectors, the . . . — Map (db m110050) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 364 — Sawtooth City
Gold discoveries on Beaver Creek in 1879 led to mining activity near here that summer, but major production was delayed until 1886. By 1885, Sawtooth City had three saloons, two restaurants, a meat market, a store, a Chinese laundry, and . . . — Map (db m110045) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 329 — Ski Lifts
When Sun Valley Lodge was built in 1936, Union Pacific engineers developed chair lifts to transport skiers uphill. Starting with two modest ski slopes on Dollar Mountain and Proctor Mountain, chair lifts were used for all Sun Valley ski . . . — Map (db m110054) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 2007 — The Congregational Church
The First Congregational Church of Ketchum, Idaho was built in 1884 during expansion of the Church across America. By the late 1840's, Christian abolitionists gained strength in the struggle against slavery. Unwilling to remain in the union of . . . — Map (db m110106) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — The Lewis Ore Wagons
Horace Lewis began the "Ketchum Fast Freight Line" soon after the town was founded on August 2, 1880. The first load of ore was carried from the Elkhorn mine to the railroad at Kelton, Utah. These monstrous wagons with six-foot wheels known as "The . . . — Map (db m110104) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 235 — Vienna
Levi Smiley found gold on Smiley Creek in 1878, and E.M. Wilson discovered a still richer lode 8 miles above here near Vienna, on June 4, 1879. Before shutting down in 1886, Vienna was a thriving mining camp with a $200,000 twenty-stamp . . . — Map (db m110048) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — Boise County Courthouse
In July of 1871 construction began on this handsome brick building, which was completed by October of the same year. The building was built by C.S. and E.A. Kingsley as a general store. Several businesses have occupied this building . . . — Map (db m109935) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — George Kettler's Blacksmith Shop1889
Originally George Kettler’s Blacksmith Shop with ox and horseshoeing sheds on both sides. In more recent years it was owned by Tom and Florence Adams. From 1948 – 1975 they published the “Idaho Mountaineer” newspaper and . . . — Map (db m110260) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — The Idaho World
In September of 1863 the pioneer printers Joseph & Thomas Butler founded the newspaper called the “Boise News.” It was later changed to the “Idaho World.” The Idaho World boasts the title of Idaho’s oldest newspaper. . . . — Map (db m109942) HM
Idaho (Bonner County), Oldtown — Albeni Falls
...the falls As you look down at the Pend Oreille (Pond O'Ray) River and Albeni Falls Dam (Albany) you may be looking for the falls. In 1887 a 26 year-old French Canadian farmer living in Blanchard, Idaho, also wondered where the falls . . . — Map (db m109902) HM
Idaho (Bonner County), Oldtown — Albeni Falls Dam at a Glance
Harnessing the Flow During the year, the Corps of Engineers regulates the flow of wter through the dam. Water is released from Lake Pend Oreille to maintain seasonal lake elevations and to adjust for rain and snowmelt. Water at . . . — Map (db m109906) HM
Idaho (Camas County), Fairfield — 277 — Bannock War
Angered by white encroachment on Camas Prairie lands which had been guaranteed to the Bannock Indians by treaty, Buffalo Horn's band went to war May 30, 1878 Trouble had been brewing on the reservation for years, and the government had . . . — Map (db m110141) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Caldwell — A.K. Steunenberg / Frank Steunenberg
Second generation Hollanders, the 10 Steunenberg children (6 boys, 4 girls) lived their formative years in Knoxville, Iowa. A.K. (Albert Keppel) Steunenberg, answering an advertisement for a printer, came to Caldwell in the late 1880's. He called . . . — Map (db m110215) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Caldwell — Caldwell Train Depot
In 1884, the Oregon Short Line Railroad reached "Bugtown," later renamed Caldwell after C.A. "Alexander" Caldwell, who served as the President of the Idaho & Oregon Land Improvement Company at the time. The current depot facility is actually the . . . — Map (db m110213) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Grace — Last Chance Canal
Blocked by lava eruptions at least 140,000 years ago, the Bear River was diverted from draining into the Snake River system. It was forced to drain southward into what were then lakes Thatcher and Bonneville and is now the Great Salt Lake. The . . . — Map (db m109914) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Henry — Henry-Chester Country Store
Founded by a Dutch pioneer about 1884, Henry thrived as a center for cattle ranchers of the area and the transient sheep operators. A large sheep-shearing corral was built one mile south of Henry. It operated about 60 days each year as large range . . . — Map (db m109951) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Soda Springs — Travertine Terraces - World Famous Water
The gently sloping mound around the geyser is travertine. The stone often develops into flights of pools enclosed within little dams. These dams form through a mix of water and carbon dioxide which makes carbonic acid, and dissolved calcium . . . — Map (db m109952) HM
Idaho (Clearwater County), Orofino — Canoe Building Site
Guided by Twisted Hair and several other Nez Perce, Capt. William Clark selected this as a camp site because of the many large ponderosa pines that grew here then. The canoe makers chopped out small portions of the pine logs, then used fire or hot . . . — Map (db m109875) HM
Idaho (Clearwater County), Orofino — Canoe Camp
Welcome to Canoe Camp One of 38 sites of Nez Perce National Historical Park These grounds have been inhabited for thousands of years by the Nez Perce people, but are best known as the place where the Lewis and Clark . . . — Map (db m109872) HM
Idaho (Clearwater County), Orofino — Pit House Village
Low mounds and depression in the ground here give only the faintest impression of villages that stood on both banks of the river. These are the remains of pit houses, built 1,500 to 2,000 years ago. Imagine the scene then: people spearing fish, . . . — Map (db m109876) HM
Idaho (Clearwater County), Orofino — Welcome to Canoe Camp
Canoe Camp is part of the Nez Perce National Historical Park and a key site along the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway An Interesting Drive The 202-mile Northwest Passage Scenic Byway stretches from Lewiston to Lolo Pass on US Highway . . . — Map (db m109886) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Bonanza City (ghost town) — Bonanza City
You now stand among the remains of Bonanza City, laid out in 1877 and the Yankee Fork's first mining camp. Pack trails linking Ketchum, Stanley, Loon Creek, and Challis converged in Bonanza. At its peak, Bonanza had over 600 residents, a rectangular . . . — Map (db m109990) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Bonanza City (ghost town) — Building the Dredge
Near here, the initial pond of the Yankee Fork Gold Dredge was constructed to allow the assembly of the massive four-story floating machine. It was a major operation to transport the equipment and pieces needed to build the dredge. Some pieces were . . . — Map (db m110005) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Bonanza City (ghost town) — Dredge Beginnings
Thoughts of dredging the Yankee Fork began in 1899 when business groups bought up placer claims along the creek and were revived up again in 1904 when the Boston & Boise Dredge Company drilled test holes. Rising gold prices stimulated interest again . . . — Map (db m109989) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Bonanza City (ghost town) — Dredge Camp Family Life
Workers on the dredge included the winch men, stern and bow oilers, and the gold man. A ground crew cleared the area ahead of the digging and helped set the "deadmen." The dredge master oversaw the entire operation, deciding were to dig, when to . . . — Map (db m109988) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Bonanza City (ghost town) — Dredge Tailings
The first prospectors on the Yankee Fork searched for small particles of gold known as "placer gold." Eroded from exposed ore veins in surrounding hillsides, placer gold washed down valley walls and collected in stream channels. Prospectors used . . . — Map (db m109987) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Bonanza City (ghost town) — Remnants of the Past
The large piles of rock and gravel around you were left over from dredge mining operations that took place in the 1940s and early 1950s. The 4-level Yankee Fork dredge floated in water as it dug its way upstream, extracting gold and silver . . . — Map (db m109991) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Clayton — 416 — Clayton Smelter
Lead-silver mineral discoveries 12 miles north of here on Bayhorse Creek in 1864 and 1872 led Joel E. Clayton to locate a large smelter here in 1880. Doubled in size in 1888, Clayton's smelter has enough variety of ores from local mines to . . . — Map (db m110016) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — 328 — Bear's "Ploughed Field"
Long before miners and ranchers settled Stanley Basin, bears dominated this area. When Alexander Ross and his Hudson's Bay Company trappers stopped here, September 20, 1824, they "observed at some distance the appearance of a ploughed field, . . . — Map (db m110042) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — In the Early Days
Prospectors panned for gold in the Yankee Fork-Salmon River area from the late 1860's to 1879. Then in 1880 the Yankee Fork Consolidated Gravel Mining Company built a ditch to bring water here for their new hydraulic gold mining operations. . . . — Map (db m110013) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — Of Cabins and Chicken Ranches
Foundations along the trail reflect earlier times when hot springs attracted travelers, settlers, and businessmen. Tales are told of early hot pools, cabins, and chicken raising operations. An attempt to raise chickens here was made by the . . . — Map (db m110039) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — River Recreation
River rafters and kayakers now find whitewater excitement on this stretch of the Salmon River. Early photographs help us discover that these rapids were once replaced by a lake. Whitewater was missing after the completion of Sunbeam Dam. . . . — Map (db m110011) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — 406 — Stanley Ranger Station
When Challis National Forest was established in 1908, this site became an administrative center. Early log Ranger Stations stood here from 1909 to 1932. Expanding Forest Service responsibilities led to construction of a larger ranger . . . — Map (db m110043) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — Sunbeam Bathhouse
This 1937 stonework building remains as a tribute to Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) craftsmanship. CCC workers from Camp Clayton built the structure. It was originally used as a bathhouse and is now a historic site. The National Forest System . . . — Map (db m110038) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — Sunbeam Dam
The Sunbeam Dam was constructed by the Sunbeam Consolidated Gold Mines Company to provide power for their mill located 13 miles up Yankee Fork on Jordan Creek. Construction of the dam and power plant began in June, 1909, and was completed in . . . — Map (db m110010) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — The Boiling Fountain
Alexander Ross and his Hudsons Bay Company fur trappers were the first white men to visit these hot springs. His dairy describes camping "at the boiling fountain" when they came here on October 1, 1824. Hot springs result when hot water reached . . . — Map (db m110040) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 353 — Castle Rock
Up toward Camas Prairie, a road goes by Castle Rock and other eroded granite outcrops that were landmarks on Goodale's Cutoff, an Oregon Trail route that came this way. Emigrants generally had not seen large granite rock formations of this . . . — Map (db m110143) HM

436 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 236
Paid Advertisement