Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

256 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 56
 
Carriage Shed / Hangar à chariots and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., November 10, 2017
Carriage Shed / Hangar à chariots and Marker
Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Carriage Shed / Hangar à chariots

Used to support Milling operations, the Carriage Shed, allowed farmers to rest their horses, while they waited for their grain to be milled or feed to be mixed. It was also used to stored [sic] and sell products, such as carriages . . . — Map (db m110299) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Dickinson House / Maison Dickinson

Pictured in 1870, Dickinson House was originally built by American born Moss Kent Dickinson for his business and was modelled after Abraham Lincoln's house in Springfield, Illinois. The house ultimately became home to the Dickinson, . . . — Map (db m110309) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — Family Life / la vie familiale

Since the late 1800s Dickinson Square has influenced the development of Manotick, the Ottawa region and beyond. It steadfastly remains one of the last industry-based village squares in Ontario. Over the past 150 years the Dickinson, . . . — Map (db m110311) HM

Ontario (Rideau-Goulbourn Ward, City of Ottawa), Manotick — The Long Island Mill

An outstanding example of mill architecture in Ontario, this grist-mill was constructed by Thomas Langrell, an Ottawa contractor, for Moss K. Dickinson (1822-97) and Joseph M. Currier (1820-84), the owners of a nearby sawmill. The Long Island . . . — Map (db m110294) HM

Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — Juan Mora Fernández
Benemerito de la Patria Juan Mora Fernandez Primer Jefe del Estado de Costa Rica 1824-1833 15 de Septiembre 1921 Homenaje de la Academia de Geografia e Historia 1951 English translation: To the Most Worthy of the Nation Juan Mora . . . — Map (db m110261) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — Juan Rafael Mora Porras
Calle Juan Rafael Mora P. Homenaje de la Academia Costarricense de la Historia en el año centenario de la Campaña de 1856-1857 1856-1956 English translation: Juan Rafael Mora Porras Street Tribute from the Costa Rican . . . — Map (db m110262) WM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — Monument to the National Flag of Costa Rica
Monumento a la Bandera Nacional El 12 de noviembre de 1848 Siendo Presidente de la Republica Don Jose Maria Castro Madriz y confeccionado por Doña Pacifica Fernandez de Castro en este lugar se izo nuestro pabellón nacional por vez primera 1848 . . . — Map (db m110194) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — The 150th Anniversary of the First Catholic Diocese in Costa Rica
El Cabildo Metropolitano. En el sesquicentenario de la fundacion de la Primera Diocesis en Costa Rica. San Jose 28 de febrero de 1850. En el Arzobispado de su Excelencia Monseñor Doctor. Roman Arrieta Villalobos y su Obispo Auxiliar Monseñor. . . . — Map (db m110201) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — The Declaration of Central American Independence
1821 – 1971 Frente a este lugar hace 150 años el Ayuntamiento de San Jose recibió y confirmo la Declaracion de la Independencia de Centroamerica Liceo de San Jose 15 de Septiembre English translation: 1821 - 1971 150 years ago, . . . — Map (db m110191) HM
Costa Rica, San José (Municipality of San José) — The University of Santo Tomás
En este lugar estuvo situada la Universidad de Santo Tomas erigida por Decreto XI de 3 de mayo de 1843 e inaugurada el 21 de abril de 1844. Homenaje de la Academia de Geografia e Historia de Costa Rica y del Banco Anglo Costarricense San . . . — Map (db m110221) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Celaya), Celaya — Miguel Hidalgo in Celaya
La Agrupacion "Miguel Hidalgo" conmemora con esta lapida el centenario de la estancia en este edificio del venerable Padre de la Patria. Celaya, 21 de septiembre de 1910. English translation: The “Miguel Hidalgo” . . . — Map (db m110147) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Celaya), Celaya — Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
La ciudad de Celaya, un paso mas en el camino de la insurgencia. Al que abrio las puertas de la libertad y convirtio los grilletes en derechos. English translation: The city of Celaya was one more step for the Insurgents on the road to . . . — Map (db m110145) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Celaya), Celaya — The Temple and Ex-convent of Our Lady of Carmen
Templo y Ex-convento de Nuestra Señora del CarmenSin duda uno de los ejemplos de arquitectura neoclásica más importantes del país, el Templo del Carmen de Celaya, se erige en sustitución al Templo originalmente construido por uno de los más . . . — Map (db m110151) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Amealco), Amealco de Bonfil — The 400th Anniversary of the Founding of Amealco
IV Centenario de la Fundacion de Amealco, Qro. 1538-1938. English translation: The 400th anniversary of the founding of Amealco, Querétaro 1538-1938 — Map (db m110284) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Ann Oldfield1683 - 1730
Actress First occupant of this house 1725-1730 — Map (db m110232) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Canaletto
Antonio Canal called Canaletto (1697 - 1768) Venetian Painter
lived here — Map (db m110190) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Charles Bridgeman
Landscape Gardener lived here 1723-1738 — Map (db m110225) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Dr. John Snow1813 - 1858
Pioneer Anaesthetist and Epidemiologist lived in a house on this site — Map (db m110228) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Duck Island CottageSwiss Chalet for a British Bird-Keeper
This pretty cottage was built in 1841 as the home of the bird-keeper in St. James's Park. It also had a club room for the Ornithological Society of London, which once helped to look after the park's duck and geese. The design, like a Swiss . . . — Map (db m110146) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Farm Street ChurchJesuit Church of the Immaculate Conception
This Church of the Society of Jesus in the Mayfair district of London, is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary and has special place in the hearts of many people, Popularly known as Farm Street Church, it harks back to . . . — Map (db m110250) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John William Polidori1795 - 1821
Poet & Novelist Author of 'The Vampyre' born & died here — Map (db m110175) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Stanley of Preston
. . . — Map (db m110159) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Percy Bysshe Shelley1792 - 1822
Poet lived here in 1811 — Map (db m110219) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Alexander Korda1893 - 1956
Film Producer worked here 1932-1936 — Map (db m110230) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Artists Rifles
was formed here at the studio of Henry Wyndham Phillips 1860 — Map (db m110233) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — William Hazlitt1778-1830
Essayist died here — Map (db m110130) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Charles Kitterbell
Here lived Charles Kitterbell as related by Charles Dickens in sketches by Boz "The Bloomsbury Christening" — Map (db m110268) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dame Millicent Garrett Fawcett1847 - 1929
pioneer of women's suffrage lived and died here — Map (db m110256) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — First Anaesthesia in England
The first anaesthetic given in England was administered in a house on this site 19 December 1846 — Map (db m110133) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Hilda Doolittle
H.D. (Hilda Doolittle) Poet and Writer lived here 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m110185) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Horizon Magazine
George Orwell 1903-1950 Sir Stephen Spender 1909-1995 wrote for Cyril Connolly's Horizon Magazine based here 1940-1948 — Map (db m110285) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — R.H. Tawney1880 - 1962
Historian, Teacher, and Political Writer lived here — Map (db m110182) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Richard Trevithick
Close to this place Richard Trevithick Born 1771 - Died 1833 Pioneer of High Pressure Steam ran in the year 1808 the first steam locomotive to draw passengers — Map (db m110144) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Robert Aickman1914 - 1981
Author and co-founder of The Inland Waterways Association lived and worked here — Map (db m110188) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Hans Sloane1660 - 1753
Physician Benefactor of the British Museum lived here 1695-1742 — Map (db m110288) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Syed Ahmed Khan1817 - 1898
Muslim Reformer and Scholar lived here 1869-1870 — Map (db m110176) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Thomas Henry Wyatt1807 - 1880
Architect lived and died here — Map (db m110270) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Topham and Lady Diana Beauclerk
Here lived Topham Beauclerk Born 1739 Died 1780 Lady Diana Beauclerk Born 1734 Died 1808 — Map (db m110258) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Vera Brittain and Winifred Holtby
Vera Brittain 1893-1970 Winifred Holtby 1898-1935 Writers and Reformers lived here — Map (db m110271) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Aaron Gus Green
In 2001, Aaron Green, a Taliesin Fellow and a member of the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects, was awarded the very first Gold Medal by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. — Map (db m109411) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Homer J. Givens
For unparalleled bravery on the battlefield in France during World War I, Corporal Homer Givens was awarded the Croix de Guerre by the French government which hailed him as the war's first American hero. — Map (db m109412) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Jonathan Quinn Pettus
Named Associate Director of Marshall Space Flight Center in 2016, Jonathan Pettus was honored whith the NASA Medal for Outstanding Leadership in 2005 and the Presidential Rank Award of Distinguished Executives in 2009. — Map (db m109413) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Livingston State College
Chartered in 1840 as Livingston Collegiate Institute (1835: Female Presbyterian Academy planned). In 1883, by work of Julia Tutwiler, Alabama legislature made its first grant of funds to a girls school. In 1907: State Normal school. In 1929: became . . . — Map (db m109526) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Los Gatos — Burrell School
In 1852, Lynman J. Burrell settled an area along the Santa Cruz Mountains and eventually establish Burrell Village. Burrell School is the last remaining structure of Burrell Village. Established in 1879, it served Santa Clara and Santa Cruz County . . . — Map (db m110267) HM
California (Sonoma County), Cloverdale — Gould--Shaw House
Gould-Shaw House Thomas Jefferson Gould, an Indiana born blacksmith, built this house, which has become an important part of the town’s history, in 1862. One of the few surviving examples of Gothic Revival architecture, the house is the oldest . . . — Map (db m109979) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — This building known as the Octagon...
This building known as the Octagon built in 1800 for Col. John Tayloe of Mount Airy, Virginia, was occupied by President Madison after the burning of the President's House by the British on August 14, 1814. Here the Treaty of Ghent was ratified by . . . — Map (db m110058) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Totten — In Memory of Those Who Lost Their Lives on June 22, 2009Red Line Metro Crash
In memory of those who lost their lives on June 22, 2009 Mary "Mandy" Doolittle Veronica Dubose Ana Fernandez Dennis Hawkins Lavonda "Nikki" King Jeanice McMillan Ann Wherley David F. Wherley, Jr. Cameron . . . — Map (db m110062) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Colonel Ninian Beall
Born Scotland 1625 - Died Maryland 1717 Patentee of Rock of Dunbarton Member of the House of Burgesses Commander in Chief of Provincial Forces of Maryland in grateful recognition of his services "upon all incursions and disturbances of . . . — Map (db m110022) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Herring Hill
Front: Herring Hill You are standing in the heart of a once thriving African American community. At the time of the American Revolution in 1776, one third of Georgetown's population was African American. By the time of the Civil . . . — Map (db m110018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Potomac No. 5
Potomac No. 5 F.A.A.M. Chartered April 21, 1789 Potomac Lodge has occupied this site since 1859 — Map (db m110023) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Poulton HallBuilt 1947
The building commemorates Father Ferdinand Poulton, S.J. a founding member of the American Jesuit Community, who arrived in Maryland in 1638. The building was acquired under the College Building Program of the Federal Works Agency. North . . . — Map (db m110020) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
This first Episcopal congregation in Georgetown was founded in 1796 by the Reverent Walter Dulany Addison. Other founders and benefactors include Thomas Hyde, Thomas Corcoran, Benjamin Stoddert, and Francis Scott Key. President Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m110021) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — The PilgrimBy Vicki Winters Reid
The Pilgrim By Vicki Winters Reid St. Ignatius of Loyola 1491-1556 Founder of the Society of Jesus 1540 — Map (db m110019) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Washington Before Washington
Front: In 1608 Captain John Smith sailed up the Potomac, the first European to lay eyes on this site. At that time, ships could sail up to this point, and beautiful bluffs led down to the water. Algonquin Indians lived here in great . . . — Map (db m110015) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northwest Washington — Fort SlocumCivil War Defenses of Washington — 1861-1865
No visible evidence remains of Fort Slocum, which stood here and across Kansas Avenue to your left. Cannon mounted at Fort Totten helped repulse a Confederate attack on Fort Stevens, July 11-12, 1864. — Map (db m110283) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Houseboats on the Waterfront
Preparations for World War II ended plans of filling the Southwest yacht basins with pleasure crafts. Instead, a severe housing shortage during the war turned the waterfront into a home for houseboats, providing an obvious alternative for the many . . . — Map (db m109983) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — In memory of the lives lost in the Oklahoma City Bombing...
In memory of the lives lost in the Oklahoma City Bombing at the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building April 19, 1995 Redbud Trees (Oklahoma State Tree) Dedicated to the memory of Steven Curry and Michael Loudenslager GSA . . . — Map (db m110059) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Asteroids and Comets
You are standing in the "asteroid belt," a region between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter where countless rocks called asteroids orbit the Sun. Every so often icy body called comets pass through this region on their way to the inner solar system. . . . — Map (db m110092) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Bald Cypress • Ártu (ar-too)
In the middle of the wetlands, you can see the entire life cycle of the unusual bald cypress tree. A fallen cypress was placed in the wetlands to evoke an authentic wetlands environment--and a young cypress has begun to grow out of the stump of the . . . — Map (db m110077) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Broadleaf Cattail • Káhkáhaskwar (kaw-kaw-has-quar)
Nearly every Native community in North America has used the cattail as food, medicine, or raw material for baskets and mats. The cattail contains ten times the amount of starch as potatoes--an important source of energy. The Micmac and . . . — Map (db m110076) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Can you hear the echo of the water bouncing off the rock?
Shhhh, quiet please! Listen. Can you hear the echo of the water bouncing off the rock? Stand in front of this boulder, and listen to the echo of the water. This stone surface amplifies sound, just like ancient Mayan ball courts. In . . . — Map (db m110088) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Cardinal Direction Marker: South
This boulder traveled more than 18,000 miles from the southernmost point of South America! Between 65 and 145 million years old, this granite stone was given to the museum by the Yagán people of Chile. The Yagán want this stone to represent their . . . — Map (db m110071) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Cardinal Direction Marker: West
This 300-year-old lava stone has a name: Kane Po. After a 20-year stay at the museum, it will return to its home in the Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park near Hilo. Native Hawaiians consider it to be a living relative. It is one of four Cardinal . . . — Map (db m110090) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Cardinal Direction Markers
Native peoples honor the Four Directions through ceremony, song, art, and architecture. On the edges of the museum site, four large stones known as Cardinal Direction Markers honor Native cultures of the north, south, east, and west. Can you . . . — Map (db m110081) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Earth
Earth These tiny spheres are the planet Earth and its Moon at one 10-billionth actual size. If Earth were this big, how far away would the Sun and other planets be? Look at the map on the lower panel to find our position in the solar . . . — Map (db m110091) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — 26/7920 — George RiveraPojoaque Pueblo
George Rivera Pojoaque Pueblo Buffalo Dancer II Case bronze, ed. 2/4 26/7920 Gift of the Pueblo of Pojoaque, George Rivera and Glenn Green Galleries For the Pueblo Indians of the Southwest, the Buffalo Dance is an enduring . . . — Map (db m110079) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Lunar Calendars
The circles and moon phases marked on the pavement refer to a phenomenon known as lunar standstills. Lunar standstills occur every 18.6 years when the moon reaches a northern extreme at summer solstice and a southern extreme at winter solstice. . . . — Map (db m110068) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Meadow
This museum's meadow environment consists of abundant grasses, wildflowers, and shrubs. The plants are perennials, growing or lying dormant with the seasons. Plant Medicine Meadows are important sources of medicinal plants used by . . . — Map (db m110066) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Nora Naranjo-MorseSanta Clara Pueblo, b. 1953
Nora Naranjo-Morse Santa Clara Pueblo, b. 1953 Always Becoming Mud mixture (soil, sand, straw, and water), clay, stone, black locust wood, bamboo, yam vines, and pigment 26/5840 Naranjo-Morse and her family return annually . . . — Map (db m110067) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Nora Naranjo-MorseSanta Clara Pueblo, b. 1953
Nora Naranjo-Morse Santa Clara Pueblo, b. 1953 Always Becoming Mud mixture (soil, sand, straw, and water), clay, stone, black locust wood, bamboo, yam vines, and pigment. 26/5840 Naranjo-Morse and her family return annually . . . — Map (db m110069) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — 26/8852 — Rick Bartow (1946-2016)
Rick Bartow (1946-2016) Wiyot Oregon We Were Always Here, 2012 Old-growth Western red cedar, Port Orford cedar, old-growth Douglas fir, oak, maple, stain, sealer Commissioned from the artist 2011 (26/8852) In . . . — Map (db m110089) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Sassafras • Wináhk (Wee-nock)
For centuries, Native peoples have used the bark, roots, and leaves of the sassafras tree as medicine and flavoring in food and beverages. As Native peoples taught settlers how to harvest and use sassafras, demand grew quickly. In the 1700s, . . . — Map (db m110087) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Sunflower • Wádxaweew (wah-ha-way-oh)
First cultivated by Native peoples in the Southwest nearly 3,000 years ago, the sunflower has become one of the most well-known and highly prized plants across the world. The Hidatsa, who live in present-day North Dakota, cultivated several . . . — Map (db m110072) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Traditional Croplands
Agricultural Gifts to the World About 60 percent of the world's diet today is derived from Native American foods, such as potatoes, chilies, tomatoes, and even chocolate! Native peoples encouraged the growth of various plants together . . . — Map (db m110070) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Upland Hardwood Forest
You are standing next to an upland hardwood forest--a group of shrubs and more than 30 species of trees--that reflects the dense forests of the Blue Ridge Mountains and other local sites. The Forests' Bounty The Nanticoke and other . . . — Map (db m110083) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Uranus
Uranus This is the planet Uranus and its 4 largest moons at one 10-billionth actual size. If Uranus were this big, how far away would Earth and other planets be? look at the map on the lower panel to find your position in the solar . . . — Map (db m110095) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Wetlands
These diverse wetlands--and the ducks, squirrels, and dragonflies that make their home here--represent the original Chesapeake Bay environment, the largest estuary in North America. Chesapeake means "Great Shellfish Bay" in the Algonquian . . . — Map (db m110074) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — What is a Grandfather Rock?
The Cheyenne refer to boulders as Grandfathers, the oldest beings on Earth. There are 40 Grandfather Rocks surrounding the museum, greeting and welcoming our visitors. How many can you find?Map (db m110078) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — WingapoWelcome to a Native Place — Native American Astronomy
Native American Astronomy Over thousands of years, Native peoples have studied the moon as a guide for agricultural and ceremonial cycles. For the Powhatan, the month known as May was called the Corn Planting Moon. They kept time by noting . . . — Map (db m110065) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — WingapoWelcome to a Native Place — Lessons from the Sun
Lessons from the Sun The museum doors--etched with sun symbols--open to the east and greet the rising sun as do many traditional Native homes. Most Native peoples honor the sun as a life-giver and calendar, instructing when to plant, harvest, . . . — Map (db m110073) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Taylorsville — Stilesboro Academy1859
Prior to the Civil War the state did not provide for public education. Consequently, the settlers in the Stilesboro community decided to erect an academy for the education of their children. A public subscription raised $5,000 to erect the school. . . . — Map (db m110295) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Camp Oglethorpe"...such large wolfish eyes!" — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
After the Battle of Shiloh, Tennessee, on April 6 & 7, 1862, the Confederate government selected Macon as a Federal prisoner-of-war camp site. The Macon Fair and Parade Grounds was used to incarcerate 900 prisoners-of-war later that spring. Named . . . — Map (db m110167) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — A Crew Of Sky Queen
91st   324th BG      BS A Crew Of Sky Queen  1st Lt George McEwen    P 2nd Lt Frank Fornaca      CP 2nd Lt Edward Hoevet    B       F/O John Dickson       N  S/Sgt Robert Cleveland  E  S/Sgt Richard Hanley      R . . . — Map (db m109999) WM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — U.S. Navy Supply Corps School / Former Site of Georgia State Normal School
U.S. Navy Supply Corps School Commissioned on this site 15 January 1954, the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School is the “Home” of the Navy Supply Corps. At this school newly commissioned Navy Supply Corps officers receive basic . . . — Map (db m110255) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Birthplace of KauikeaouliKamahameha III — 1814 - 1854
Kauikeaouli, the second son of Kamehameha I and Keōpūolani, was born within this enclosure. Stillborn, he was cleansed in the water of Ka'opa Spring at the edge of the bay and revived as he laid upon the large rock to the left. . . . — Map (db m110292) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Kauikeaouli and Nāhi'ena'ena
Kauikeaouli and Nāhi'ena'ena An inscribed stone tablet commemorates the nearby birth site of Kauikeaouli who went on to rule Hawai'i as King Kamehameha III. His sister, Princess Nāhi'ena'ena, was also born in Keauhou about . . . — Map (db m110300) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Kauikeaouli, Kamehameha III
Son of Kamehameha I and Keōpūolani Born March 17, 1814 Died December 15, 1854 Ka Moi Lokomarkai — Map (db m110296) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Keauhou BayThe Kekahuna Legacy
Cultural historian Henry E.P. Kekahuna was born on Maui in 1881 when many ancient Hawaiian traditions were still in practice. He listened and learned the stories of old. He explored and mapped many areas throughout Hawai'i in the 1950s. His . . . — Map (db m110310) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — Royal Center at Keauhou Bay
In the time of the ruler 'Umi-a-Liloa, 22 generations before the time of King Kamehameha I, the Royal Center moved away from Waipi'o in the island's northern region. As a result of this move, Royal Centers developed along Kona's leeward coast, By . . . — Map (db m110308) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Keauhou — The Kamehameha Dynasty
The Kamehameha Dynasty As a young man, Kamehameha was a proven warrior and political strategist who rose to power with the support of the chiefs of Kona and unified the island of Hawai'i under his leadership in the late 1700a. He embraced . . . — Map (db m110302) HM
Idaho (Benewah County), Saint Maries — Mullan Trail Road
Capt. John Mullan U.S. Army Capt. John Mullan, US Army, Constructor and surveyor. He was directed to mark a wagon and railroad route from Fort Benton, Montana to Walla Walla, Washington from 1853-1855. He built the actual road . . . — Map (db m110000) HM
Idaho (Benewah County), Saint Maries — Splash Dam at Hobo Creek
Loggers used the splash dam system in the Marble Creek basin between 1915 and 1931. In 1923, Rutledge Lumber Company spent $16,352.25 building the dam depicted in this mural. Splash dams stored enough water to “flush” logs down small . . . — Map (db m109997) HM
Idaho (Benewah County), Saint Maries — Willamette Steam Donkey Engine
“A locomotive without wheels…” The Willamette donkeys were fueled by wood or oil, which generated steam to turn drums that were spooled with cable. Cables of 8,000 to 12,000 feet length were common. Because of the long . . . — Map (db m109998) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Bellevue — 413 — Magic Reservoir
Water from deep snow that falls on high mountain ridges north of here is stored each Spring in this reservoir to irrigate farm land near Shoshone and Richfield. Big Wood River flows past some hills that separate this valley from a broad plain . . . — Map (db m110116) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Bellevue — Timmerman Junction Oregon Trail Kiosk
(Five panels in the kiosk deal with the history of Goodale's Cutoff and the surrounding area) Idaho's Emigrant Trails Westward-bound emigrants entered Idaho after crossing Thomas Fork Valley. They soon encountered the climb . . . — Map (db m110138) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Bellevue — 154 — Wood River Mines
Rich strikes in 1879 led to a rush in the lead and silver mines of this valley. The famous Minnie Moore Mine alone produced a total of $8.4 million worth of ore. Mining quickly brought a railroad and prosperity. The Ketchum smelter pioneered . . . — Map (db m110115) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Carey — Water and Lava
As the pioneers passed through this parched landscape they were happy to find any available water. Most water is soaked up like a giant sponge when it reaches the lava fields, but here, small creeks to the north cover the porous lava rock with a . . . — Map (db m109897) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building101 S. Main St.
The original building on this site, called the Bullion Block, was constructed in 1882. It was at this time that Hailey became the county seat of Alturas County after a bitterly fought election with Bellevue, and the existing county seat, Rocky Bar. . . . — Map (db m110109) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — J.C. Fox Building115 S. Main St.
J.C. Fox, the original owner of the building and one of Hailey's founders, had it erected in 1920 after operating a general store three doors up the street for almost forty years. He served as mayor for two years and was vice-president of the Hailey . . . — Map (db m110113) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — J.J. Tracy Building111 S. Main St.
The J.J. Tracy Building was built as a drug store in 1906 by John J. Tracy. Already a pharmacist at the age of twenty-two, Tracy migrated to the West, spending three months in Kelton, Utah where he met William T. Riley, an entrepreneur and early . . . — Map (db m110111) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — Rialto Hotel201 S. Main St.
In 1934, Julio Astoriquia and his wife Maria Astoriquia invested their hard-saved money to buy two lots on Main Street in Hailey for construction of a hotel. Julio emigrated from the Basque region of Spain to the United States in 1913. He worked as . . . — Map (db m110114) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Hailey — W.H. Watt Building120 N. Main St.
The Watt Building is connected in local memory with W.H. Watt, who had the building erected as a bank. An 1889 fire that demolished the business district of Hailey left few buildings still standing. The rear portion of the building, which may date . . . — Map (db m110108) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 302 — Alexander Ross
Searching the mountain wilderness for beaver, Alexander Ross came up Wood River and discovered this summit, Sept. 18, 1824. Leading a large brigade of Hudson's Bay Company trappers, he wondered whether he ever could get through unknown . . . — Map (db m110051) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 484 — Galena
After Warren P. Callahan located a rich lead-silver mine here, April 26, 1876, thousands of eager treasure-hunters joined in a rush to Wood River in 1880 Successful prosectors discovered valuable lodes from here to Bellevue. Galena has a . . . — Map (db m110052) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — Ketchum
Pioneering explorer Alexander Ross visited the valley in search of beaver in 1821. The Hudson's Bay Company reported the area as "promising." Ketchum's short mining era began in 1879, after the Sheepeater War and the relocation of the Native . . . — Map (db m110105) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 292 — Salmon River
Rising as a small stream in the valley to the south, the Salmon winds 420 miles across Idaho before flowing into Snake River. Discovered in 1895 by Lewis and Clark, and explored with great difficulty by fur traders and prospectors, the . . . — Map (db m110050) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 364 — Sawtooth City
Gold discoveries on Beaver Creek in 1879 led to mining activity near here that summer, but major production was delayed until 1886. By 1885, Sawtooth City had three saloons, two restaurants, a meat market, a store, a Chinese laundry, and . . . — Map (db m110045) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 329 — Ski Lifts
When Sun Valley Lodge was built in 1936, Union Pacific engineers developed chair lifts to transport skiers uphill. Starting with two modest ski slopes on Dollar Mountain and Proctor Mountain, chair lifts were used for all Sun Valley ski . . . — Map (db m110054) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 2007 — The Congregational Church
The First Congregational Church of Ketchum, Idaho was built in 1884 during expansion of the Church across America. By the late 1840's, Christian abolitionists gained strength in the struggle against slavery. Unwilling to remain in the union of . . . — Map (db m110106) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — The Lewis Ore Wagons
Horace Lewis began the "Ketchum Fast Freight Line" soon after the town was founded on August 2, 1880. The first load of ore was carried from the Elkhorn mine to the railroad at Kelton, Utah. These monstrous wagons with six-foot wheels known as "The . . . — Map (db m110104) HM
Idaho (Blaine County), Ketchum — 235 — Vienna
Levi Smiley found gold on Smiley Creek in 1878, and E.M. Wilson discovered a still richer lode 8 miles above here near Vienna, on June 4, 1879. Before shutting down in 1886, Vienna was a thriving mining camp with a $200,000 twenty-stamp . . . — Map (db m110048) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — Boise County Courthouse
In July of 1871 construction began on this handsome brick building, which was completed by October of the same year. The building was built by C.S. and E.A. Kingsley as a general store. Several businesses have occupied this building . . . — Map (db m109935) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — George Kettler's Blacksmith Shop1889
Originally George Kettler’s Blacksmith Shop with ox and horseshoeing sheds on both sides. In more recent years it was owned by Tom and Florence Adams. From 1948 – 1975 they published the “Idaho Mountaineer” newspaper and . . . — Map (db m110260) HM
Idaho (Boise County), Idaho City — The Idaho World
In September of 1863 the pioneer printers Joseph & Thomas Butler founded the newspaper called the “Boise News.” It was later changed to the “Idaho World.” The Idaho World boasts the title of Idaho’s oldest newspaper. . . . — Map (db m109942) HM
Idaho (Bonner County), Oldtown — Albeni Falls
...the falls As you look down at the Pend Oreille (Pond O'Ray) River and Albeni Falls Dam (Albany) you may be looking for the falls. In 1887 a 26 year-old French Canadian farmer living in Blanchard, Idaho, also wondered where the falls . . . — Map (db m109902) HM
Idaho (Bonner County), Oldtown — Albeni Falls Dam at a Glance
Harnessing the Flow During the year, the Corps of Engineers regulates the flow of wter through the dam. Water is released from Lake Pend Oreille to maintain seasonal lake elevations and to adjust for rain and snowmelt. Water at . . . — Map (db m109906) HM
Idaho (Camas County), Fairfield — 277 — Bannock War
Angered by white encroachment on Camas Prairie lands which had been guaranteed to the Bannock Indians by treaty, Buffalo Horn's band went to war May 30, 1878 Trouble had been brewing on the reservation for years, and the government had . . . — Map (db m110141) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Caldwell — A.K. Steunenberg / Frank Steunenberg
Second generation Hollanders, the 10 Steunenberg children (6 boys, 4 girls) lived their formative years in Knoxville, Iowa. A.K. (Albert Keppel) Steunenberg, answering an advertisement for a printer, came to Caldwell in the late 1880's. He called . . . — Map (db m110215) HM
Idaho (Canyon County), Caldwell — Caldwell Train Depot
In 1884, the Oregon Short Line Railroad reached "Bugtown," later renamed Caldwell after C.A. "Alexander" Caldwell, who served as the President of the Idaho & Oregon Land Improvement Company at the time. The current depot facility is actually the . . . — Map (db m110213) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Grace — Last Chance Canal
Blocked by lava eruptions at least 140,000 years ago, the Bear River was diverted from draining into the Snake River system. It was forced to drain southward into what were then lakes Thatcher and Bonneville and is now the Great Salt Lake. The . . . — Map (db m109914) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Henry — Henry-Chester Country Store
Founded by a Dutch pioneer about 1884, Henry thrived as a center for cattle ranchers of the area and the transient sheep operators. A large sheep-shearing corral was built one mile south of Henry. It operated about 60 days each year as large range . . . — Map (db m109951) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Soda Springs — Travertine Terraces - World Famous Water
The gently sloping mound around the geyser is travertine. The stone often develops into flights of pools enclosed within little dams. These dams form through a mix of water and carbon dioxide which makes carbonic acid, and dissolved calcium . . . — Map (db m109952) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — 328 — Bear's "Ploughed Field"
Long before miners and ranchers settled Stanley Basin, bears dominated this area. When Alexander Ross and his Hudson's Bay Company trappers stopped here, September 20, 1824, they "observed at some distance the appearance of a ploughed field, . . . — Map (db m110042) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — Of Cabins and Chicken Ranches
Foundations along the trail reflect earlier times when hot springs attracted travelers, settlers, and businessmen. Tales are told of early hot pools, cabins, and chicken raising operations. An attempt to raise chickens here was made by the . . . — Map (db m110039) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — 406 — Stanley Ranger Station
When Challis National Forest was established in 1908, this site became an administrative center. Early log Ranger Stations stood here from 1909 to 1932. Expanding Forest Service responsibilities led to construction of a larger ranger . . . — Map (db m110043) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — Sunbeam Bathhouse
This 1937 stonework building remains as a tribute to Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) craftsmanship. CCC workers from Camp Clayton built the structure. It was originally used as a bathhouse and is now a historic site. The National Forest System . . . — Map (db m110038) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — The Boiling Fountain
Alexander Ross and his Hudsons Bay Company fur trappers were the first white men to visit these hot springs. His dairy describes camping "at the boiling fountain" when they came here on October 1, 1824. Hot springs result when hot water reached . . . — Map (db m110040) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 353 — Castle Rock
Up toward Camas Prairie, a road goes by Castle Rock and other eroded granite outcrops that were landmarks on Goodale's Cutoff, an Oregon Trail route that came this way. Emigrants generally had not seen large granite rock formations of this . . . — Map (db m110143) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 400 — Gold Mines
More than a century ago, Rocky Bar, Happy Camp, and a number of other South Boise mining towns flourished in a remote mountain wilderness 30 miles northwest of here. Discovered early in 1863, they were so hard to get to that the could not be . . . — Map (db m110142) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 305 — Goodale's Cutoff
An old emigrant road headed west across Camas Prairie and then descended to the valley below on its way to rejoin the Oregon Trail 28 miles west of here. This route, discovered by Donald Mackenzie's fur trade party in 1820, came into use for . . . — Map (db m110152) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 5 — Main Oregon Trail Back Country Byway
Friday September 10th "... Traveled along the foot of the mountains about 5 miles to another creek and stopped for the night. Plenty of dry bunchgrass. No timber, but willow and sage. Found eight graves here. Made fifteen miles." Parthenia . . . — Map (db m110155) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 2004 — Mountain Home Arrives in a 50-pound Soapbox
Eight miles east of here, Rattlesnake Station, was an important stop for wagon trains and travelers along the Oregon Trail because of its sure supply of fresh water. Later, a stage station with a post office called "The Mountain Home" was . . . — Map (db m110158) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 2005 — Mountain Home Irrigation District
The Town site of Mountain Home was chosen by the Union Pacific Railroad as a stop because of a readily available supply of water. The railroad utilized steam operated pumps in trench wells to fill storage tanks with this water in order to supply the . . . — Map (db m110156) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 197 — Toll Gate
An 1868 Toll Road to Rocky Bar provided better access to early gold mines 40 miles north of here. Julius Newberg's South Boise wagon road had reached Rocky Bar in 1864, but a route through this canyon was needed to avoid steep Syrup Creek . . . — Map (db m110154) HM
Idaho (Lewis County), Kamiah — Nez Perce National Historical Park
This park links a series of widely separated sites of deep significance to the Nez Perce – historic villages, battlefields, and legend sites. The park experience involves a journey across both time and territory. Although firmly . . . — Map (db m109994) HM
Idaho (Lewis County), Kamiah — Trails at Heart of the Monster
A short walk leads to ilcwe-wcixnim timine the Heart of the Monster, the Place of Beginning for the nimi-pu, the Nez Perce people. Like other sites in the valley that are significant to the Nez Perce, the Heart is a distinctive . . . — Map (db m109995) HM
Idaho (Nez Perce County), Lewiston — The Early Years in Nez Perce County
The discovery of gold in September 1860 flooded the region with thousands of treasure seekers, who were a civil and criminal law unto themselves. On December 20, 1861, the Washington Territorial Legislature responded, creating Nez Perce County . . . — Map (db m109908) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Marsing — 192 — Owyhee Country
The name applied to these mountains and the whole surrounding region is an outdated spelling of the word "Hawaii". Fur-trading ships brought Hawaiian natives -- then called "Owyhees" -- to the Northwest. In 1818, Donald Mackenzie brought the . . . — Map (db m110212) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Murphy — 454 — Diamond Gulch
In December, 1865, Idaho's Governor -- Caleb Lyon of Lyonsdale -- set off a wild rush to Diamond Gulch, visible a few miles west of here, with as story that was to good to be true. He told miners in Silver City that a prospector had given . . . — Map (db m110187) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Murphy — The Murphy School House District 14
District 14 was created in 1898 for the Guffy area. This was formerly part of District 9. District 14 encompassed the land between Walter's Ferry to the mouth of Sinker Creek and ran south (to) Diamond Basin. The original schoolhouse was built in . . . — Map (db m110208) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Murphy — The Otter Massacre
Erected to the memory of the Otter Massacre 1860 Forty four persons ambushed by Shoshoni Indians either killed or scattered. Most awful human experience. Site ten miles east on Sinker Creek. — Map (db m110210) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Murphy — 493 — The Utter Disaster
On September 9 & 10, the Utter Wagon Train engaged in a life-and-death struggle with attacking Indians. The assault on the wagon train of forty-four emigrants led by Elijah P. Utter just north of here resulted in the death of six men, two . . . — Map (db m110183) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Murphy — Utter Wagon Train Disaster
Near here the Elijah P. Utter wagon train was attacked by Indians on September 9 and 10, 1860. The two-day encounter resulted in the deaths of eleven emigrants and an estimated twenty-five to thirty Indians. The forty-four member train was composed . . . — Map (db m110184) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Murphy — 380 — War Eagle Mines
For decades after 1884, most of Silver City's fabulous mineral wealth came from Upper War Eagle Mountain, which rises a vertical mile above here. With lodes far richer than those found elsewhere, War Eagle miners fought a series of violent . . . — Map (db m110186) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Silver City (ghost town) — Silver City
↑ The Last Post Office in Silver City Original building built about 1868. Known as the "Schleifer" House and later as the "Riordan" House. This was the location of the last post office. It was the home of Fred Webb who lived her . . . — Map (db m110241) HM
Idaho (Owyhee County), Silver City (ghost town) — The Building of Many Names
Built 1866 "Star Brewery" & Sommercamp Saloon" (Bar above - Brewery below) 1893 "Soda Work" 1893 "Brewery Saloon" 1894 "Stuckman Photography" 1894 "Watts Apartments" 1895 "J.G, Drug Store" 1896 "Biles Confectionary" 1896 . . . — Map (db m110242) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Wallace — "Big Ed" Pulaski
The hardened but humble hero of “The Big Blowup” Strong and mature Edward C. Pulaski was just the type of experienced man the fledgling Forest Service was looking for in 1908 when he was hired. Pulaski left school in . . . — Map (db m109993) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Wallace — Pulaski's Trail
This two-mile trail will take you to The Pulaski Tunnel. There, during two days in August 1910, Ranger “Big Ed” Pulaski, in the midst of a raging inferno, saved the lives of all but 6 of his 45-man crew. The firestorm . . . — Map (db m109992) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Wallace — The Great Fire of 1910
In August 1910, this area was ravaged by one of a series of huge forest fires which swept the inland empire at that time. Small fires had been burning for days in timber parched by a record drought. Despite the efforts of hundreds of fire fighters . . . — Map (db m109956) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Wallace — The Pulaski Tunnel Trail
Welcome to the Pulaski Tunnel Trail This beautiful trail offers a scenic, rewarding hiking experience and recounts the dramatic events of the “Great Fire of 1910.” The trail’s two-mile course ends at an overlook across . . . — Map (db m109963) HM
Idaho (Valley County), McCall — McCall City Jail1930
The McCall City Jail was built for $650 in June, 1930, directly behind the City Hall located on the corner of Lenora and Third Streets. The City Hall building was later moved 12 miles to Roseberry, ID, leaving the jail as a sole reminder of earlier . . . — Map (db m109934) HM
Kentucky (Bath County), Owingsville — 993 — Bourbon Iron Works / Iron Made in Kentucky
Bourbon Iron Works Jacob Myers from Richmond, Va. took up land grants here on Slate Creek, 1782. He built the first iron blast furnace in Ky., 1791. John Cockey Owings and Co. formed to operate furnace. Utensils and tools supplied settlers. . . . — Map (db m110121) HM
Kentucky (Pike County), Pikeville — 2251 — John Paul Riddle1901-1989
(side 1) Aviation pioneer graduated from Pikeville College Academy in 1920. Flew plane under Pikesville’s Middle Bridge on July 4, 1923. Trained as a pilot in US Army, he & T. Higbee Embry founded the Embry-Riddle Flying School . . . — Map (db m110100) HM
Louisiana (Morehouse Parish), Mer Rouge — "Ben and the Boys"1856   Ben V. Lily   1936
Like Esau, Jacob's brother of Bible times, Ben Lilly was the ultimate hunter...but never on Sunday. Not one to focus on acquiring "things" and money, Ben acquired knowledge, knowledge about the outdoors and the four-legged challenges he found . . . — Map (db m110174) HM
Louisiana (Washington Parish), Bogalusa — At This Very Site
At this very site, along the banks of the Bogue Lusa "Black Water" Creek, in 1906, this Great Southern Lumber Company's tent Colony marked the birthplace of the City of Bogalusa. — Map (db m110264) HM
Louisiana (Washington Parish), Franklinton — John BickhamFounder of Franklinton
In Honor of John Bickham Founder of Franklinton

In 1819 John Bickham offered to donate thirty acres of land to serve as the Parish Seat of Justice and also to provide land for the building of public schools in what is today the town of . . . — Map (db m110278) HM

Louisiana (Washington Parish), Franklinton — Old Choctaw Trail
Only official state road in Washington Parish until 1843. Choctaw Indians cut trail for trade with tribes in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, & Mobile. White man believed to have used trail as early as 1542. — Map (db m110277) HM
Louisiana (Washington Parish), Franklinton — To The Sacred Memory
To The Sacred Memory of Wiley Pierce Born - Jan. 10, 1882. Robert Wesley Crain Born - Aug. 16, 1886. Both Murdered March 3, 1923.

Two native sons of Washington Parish. True and loyal citizens, officers of the Law, were foully . . . — Map (db m110279) HM

Louisiana (West Carroll Parish), Pioneer — Poverty Point World Heritage Site
Poverty Point has long been known for its rich cultural heritage. Years of conservation, preservation, archaeological research, and interpretive development resulted in the 2014 designation of the Monumental Earthworks of Poverty Point as a UNESCO . . . — Map (db m110172) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — British West Florida
The Treaty of Paris (1763) ended the French and Indian War in the American Colonies. France transferred to Britain all its rights to the mainland of America. East of the Mississippi River, excluding New Orleans and its environs. As a result. . . . — Map (db m110112) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Our CabooseHistory of ICG 199328
Our Caboose The colorful caboose that generations once looked for at the end of every freight train is now a thing of the past, replaced by modern technology. History of ICG 199328

The St. Francisville Caboose is an important historical . . . — Map (db m110227) HM

Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Born To Be FreeSlavery — 1820
Harriet Tubman, known as "Minty", was born to Rittia 'Rit' Green Ross, her mother, and Benjamin 'Ben' Ross, her father. Ben and Rit Ross were both enslaved (but to different owners) at the time of Harriet's birth. The number of Harriet Tubman's . . . — Map (db m109922) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Joe Bailey Shakes the Lion's PawUnderground Railroad — 1849 - 1858
Harriet Tubman led many slaves from Dorchester County to Canada (via the suspension bridge at Niagara Falls). One trip with "fugitive slaves" occurred in November 1856, when Tubman conducted Josia (Joe) Bailey, William Bailey, Peter Pennington and . . . — Map (db m109913) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Station Stops: The Underground RailroadUnderground Railroad — 1849 - 1858
William Still Samuel Green Thomas Garret Thomas Garret (1789-1871) of Wilmington, Delaware. He guided over 2,000 slaves on their way to freedom. William Still's Account of the Cambridge "Runaways" of October, 1857 . . . — Map (db m109920) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — The Post War YearsTwilight Years — 1865 - 1913
Insult and Injury on the Train to New York The Civil War ended in April 1865. The irony of the situation added insult to injury. She had dedicated her life for three years, at great personal risk to the Union cause. Now a railroad . . . — Map (db m109919) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge
The Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, one of over 560 national wildlife refuges, provides critical habitats for native plants and wildlife. The 17 acres that for the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park are surrounded by the . . . — Map (db m109911) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — The Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway
Explore the scenic byway, follow the path to freedom and discover Harriet Tubman's rich history. Experience extraordinary stories of courage along the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway. With unspoiled landscapes virtually unchanged . . . — Map (db m109910) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — The Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center
Discover the extraordinary life and legacy of Harriet Tubman in the landscape of her childhood and early adult life. Harriet Ross Tubman, an American legendary human rights advocate and suffragist, was born in enslaved in Dorchester . . . — Map (db m109909) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Forest Glen — Daniel Carroll II
In Memory of Daniel Carroll II Member Continental Congress Signer Articles of Confederation and Constitution July 22 1730 † May 7, 1796 — Map (db m109918) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Historical MarkerSouthfield Cemetery
A group of early settlers known as "The Proprietors of the Burying Grounds" purchased the original one acre of land from Thaddeus Griswald on April 8, 1833 at the cost of $8.00. The Proprietors continued to operate the burying grounds until 1847 . . . — Map (db m110036) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Historical SitePresbyterian Church
This marker is placed on this site in recognition of many years of continuous use as a place of worship. In the year of 1852 this site was donated by Ezekiel Hutton to the congregation. Their first building was moved to the site. Ten years . . . — Map (db m110103) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Mary Thompson Farm
The land upon which you stand was generously donated by a very remarkable woman, Miss Mary Elizabeth Thompson. Her great-grandparents and grandparents were pioneer settlers of Southfield Township. During a time when it was rare for a woman to . . . — Map (db m110137) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L2074 — Mary Thompson House
Educator Mary E. Thompson (1871-1967) grew up in this house, which was built sometime between 1842 and 1864. She was considered "a woman of superior native ability" by the dean of pedagogy at New York University where she received a doctorate in . . . — Map (db m110177) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — Memorial MarkerIn honor of Mary Thompson — 1871 - 1967
So that all citizens of the City of Southfield will remember, this plaque is placed in memory of Mary Thompson, for her unselfish dedicated service to this community, for her decision to sell the land to the city where now stands our most beautiful . . . — Map (db m110263) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L1476 — Pioneer Cemetery
Upon the death of his daughter in 1832, John Thomas donated part of his farm to the township to form a public burying ground. He gave an adjacent parcel to the Presbyterians who built a church there in 1837. Although nonsectarian, the cemetery . . . — Map (db m110047) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — L2026 — Southfield United Presbyterian Church
In 1850 seventeen Irish immigrants met in the home of Matthew Erwin Sr. and organized what became the Southfield United Presbyterian Church. Two years later they relocated a vacant church building to this site and met there until the present Greek . . . — Map (db m110056) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — Architecture and Renovations
What you see here is a reconstruction of the 1852 house built by the Cokers. Efforts to fully restore the original house were not successful. In order to save the structure, the house was dismantled and the salvaged materials were used in the . . . — Map (db m110131) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — The Coker House and the Battle of Champion Hill
The Coker House is the only remaining structure on grounds where the pivotal Battle of Champion Hill was fought on May 16, 1863. Located on the southern margin of the battlefield, the house sustained fire from both Union and . . . — Map (db m110129) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Edwards — The Vicksburg Campaign
"Vicksburg is the key," said President Abraham Lincoln. "The war can never be brought to a close until that key is in our pocket." The United States government had to control the lower Mississippi River in order to move agricultural . . . — Map (db m110132) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — U S Missouri 11th Infantry
15th Corps 3rd Division Second Brigade Brig. Gen. Joseph A. Mower 11th Infantry Major Eli Bowyer Colonel Andrew J. Weber Lieut. Col. William L. Barnum Killed 7, wounded 92, missing 3, total 102: Col. Andrew J. . . . — Map (db m110102) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — U.S. 4th Battery,Ohio Light Artillery; — 1st Div.; 15th Corps; Army of the Tennessee.
. . . — Map (db m110093) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — 47th Ohio Infantry Regimental Monument
Ohio Forty Seventh Infantry; Col. Augustus C. Parry. 3rd Brig.; 2D Div.; 15th Corps. — Map (db m110289) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Assault on the Confederate Line of Defense, May 19.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army under command of Maj Gen. U. S. Grant was 
composed of three divisions of the 13th, the 15th, and the 17th Corps.
 The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton,
 was composed of Stevenson’s, . . . — Map (db m110247) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Assault on the Confederate Line of Defense, May 22.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was 
composed of the 13th, 15th, and 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, was composed of 
Stevenson’s, Forney’s, Smith's and Bowen’s . . . — Map (db m110252) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Battle of Champion's Hill, Mississippi, May 16.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was composed of the 13th Corps, Blair’s division of the 15th Corps, and Logan’s and Crocker’s Divisions of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, . . . — Map (db m110229) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi, May 1.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant was 
composed of the 13th Corps and Logan's Division of the 17th Corps. 
The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen, 
was composed of Tracy’s, Cockrell's, . . . — Map (db m110216) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Engagement at Jackson, Mississippi, May 14.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant,
 was composed of Steele's and Tuttle's Divisions, 15th Corps, Maj. 
Gen. Wm. T. Sherman commanding; and Logan's and Crocker’s Divisions, 
17th Corps, Maj. Gen. James B. . . . — Map (db m110224) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Engagement at Raymond, Mississippi, May 12.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. James B. McPherson,
 was composed of the Third and Seventh Divisions, 17th Corps. The 
Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John Gregg, was 
composed of Gregg's brigade and a . . . — Map (db m110218) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Explore the Defenses
In order to guard Vicksburg from Union attack, the Confederates built a ring of forts around the city's north, east, and south sides. You are standing at the northernmost point of those defenses. From here, the tour road travels east then south . . . — Map (db m110173) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Iowa 2nd Battery
2D Battery; Lieut. Joseph R. Reed. 3D Div; 15th Corps. Casualties: In the engagement at Jackson, May 14, 1863, wounded 1; In the assault, May 22, wounded 3; and during the siege, killed 1, wounded 2, total 3. . . . — Map (db m110049) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Iowa 2nd Brig.;1st Div.; 15th Corps. — 25th Infantry / 31st Infantry
25th Infantry Col. George A. Stone Casualties: In the assault, May 22, 1863, killed 5, wounded 27, missing 5, total 37; and during the siege, not reported. Aggregate reported casualties in regiment during . . . — Map (db m110202) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Iowa 31st Infantry
2D Brig. 1st Div. 15th Corps Sharpshooters Line May 27 — July 4 1863 — Map (db m110207) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Minnesota 5th Infantry
Col. Lucius F. Hubbard 2D Brig. 3D Div. 15th Corps Casualties Jackson, May 14, 1863, none reported: Assault, May 22, killed 2, wounded 1, missing 7, total 10: Mechanicsburg, June 4, none reported: Richmond, Louisiana, . . . — Map (db m110101) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Ohio 4th Battery,
Front Capt. Louis Hoffman; Lieut. George Froehlich. 1st Div.; 15th Corps. Side This battery was present with its divisions, and took part in the assaults, May 19 and May 22, and served during the siege, with . . . — Map (db m110098) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Ohio Ninety Fifth Regiment
This stone marks the farthest advance of the Ninety Fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the assault of May 19, 1863. — Map (db m110046) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Ohio Thirty Seventh Infantry;
Col. Edward Siber; Lieut. Col. Louis Von Blessingh; Maj. Charles Hipp; Col. Edward Siber. 3D Brig.; 2D Div.; 15th Corps. — Map (db m110290) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Remember the Sacrifices
Look around. This peaceful place once trembled 
with the roar of cannon, rumbled with
 underground explosions, and echoed with the 
cries of wounded and dying soldiers. Here men,
 who before 1861 had been fellow citizens, . . . — Map (db m110057) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Siege Operations, May 23-July 4.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
At the beginning of siege operations, May 23, about 162 guns 
were on the investment line, most of them in position in hastily 
constructed batteries. These were enlarged and strengthened 
and additional guns successively mounted . . . — Map (db m110266) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — The Skylights
The skylights provided light for the gun deck and the engine room and for inspection of the paddle wheel. The frame of the skylights has been ghosted with the light-colored glu- laminated wood. During the southern summer, Cairo . . . — Map (db m110084) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — The USS Cairo
History Completion of Plans: July 6, 1861 Request for Proposals: July 18, 1861 Contract Signing: August 7 1861 Contract Delivery: October 10, 1861 Actual Delivery: January 15, 1862 Building Site: Mound City, Ilinois . . . — Map (db m110060) HM

256 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 56
Paid Advertisement