Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

809 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 609
 
Dr. Jakob Herz Marker - Wide View image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 30, 2017
Dr. Jakob Herz Marker - Wide View
Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bayreuth), Bayreuth — Dr. Jakob Herz
Hier stand das Geburtshaus von

Professor Dr. Jakob Herz (1816 - 1871)

Begründer der chirurgischen Anatomie an der Universität Erlangen.

Erster jüdischer Universitätsprofessor im Königsreich . . . — Map (db m111451) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bayreuth), Bayreuth — Max Stirner
Dies ist das Geburtshaus Max Stirner's ✶25. October 1806

[English translation:] This is the birthplace of Max Stirner, born October 25, 1806. — Map (db m111481) HM

Guatemala, Alta Verapaz (Municipality of Cobán), Cobán — Coronel Antonio José Irisarri
Loor al insigne patriota Coronel Don Antonio Jose de Irisarri Guatemala, 7 de febrero de 1781 New York Estados Unidos 10 de junio 1868 Repatriado en junio de 1968 Coban Alta Verapaz English translation:
Tribute to the . . . — Map (db m111131) HM WM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — Ángel Robles Ramírez
Angel Robles Ramirez Angelus petronius in vita lux fuit El hombre, el hermano, el padre, el docente, el amigo, el singular humanista chiapenco; Sera rediviva presencia en quienes – desde cualquier momento de la existencia – . . . — Map (db m111126) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — Frans Blom and Gertrude Duby
Frans Blom y Gertrude Duby 1893 – 1963 y 1901 - 1993 Decidieron residir en esta ciudad. En 1950 adquirieron esta casa del siglo XIX; crearon un museo y el Centro de Estudios Na Balom. Frans formó una biblioteca especializada en temas . . . — Map (db m111202) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — General Crescencio Rosas y Tejada
Gral. Crescencio Rosas y Tejada 1816-1879 Militar. Adherido a la causa federalista desde los 14 años, llegó a Chiapas en 1848 y se integró a las Guardias Nacionales defendiendo a la causa Liberal. En 1863 participó en el sitio de Puebla, fue . . . — Map (db m111174) HM WM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — Hermilo López Sánchez
Hermilo Lopez Sanchez. Nació el 28 de Noviembre de 1887 en San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas. En 1914 obtuvo el Título de Abogado En la Escuela de Derecho de ésta Ciudad En 1934, fue nombrado Ministro de la Nación. Integrándose en 1938 a la . . . — Map (db m111171) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — Hotel Ciudad Real
Construido en el Siglo XVI fue residencia de connotados personajes desde la fundación de la ciudad. A principios del XX fue reconstruido por el Arq. Carlos Z. Flores en estilo neoclásico. Fue el Hotel Jardín y desde 1970 lleva el nombre actual . . . — Map (db m111080) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — Hotel Misión Grand
Hotel Misión Grand Casa edificada en el siglo XVII, reconstruida en el XX por el Arq. Carlos Z. Flores en estilo neoclásico. Propiedad de la sucesión de Andrés de la Tovilla uno de los fundadores de la ciudad. Fue residencia del abogado, . . . — Map (db m111143) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — José Eduardo Flores Ruíz
José Eduardo Flores Ruiz 1890 - 1977 Fue casa habitación del sacerdote, investigador y filántropo quien realizó enorme contribución a la historiografía chiapaneca. Fue director del Seminario de la Inmaculada Concepción y celoso custodio del . . . — Map (db m111180) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — María Adelina Flores Morales
Profra. Maria Adelina Flores Morales (-11-XI-1895 23-I-1963) Benefactora de la Educacion Fundo y dirigio el emerito Colegio “La Enseñanza” primaria y normal y las escuelas gratuitas para obreros, campesinos y mujeres trabajadoras, . . . — Map (db m111138) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — María Adelina Flores Morales
María Adelina Flores Morales 1895 – 1963 Educadora. Primer mujer Sancristobalense en recibirse de normalista en 1927, con su padre y hermanas fundaron el Colegio La Enseñanza; en 1919, el Internado para Señoritas; en 1928, un colegio para . . . — Map (db m111148) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — Miguel Francisco Utrilla Trujillo
Miguel Francisco Utrilla Trujillo 1830 – 1919 Militar y funcionario público. Destacado Liberal, defendió decididamente la soberanía del estado. En 1863 participó en la Batalla de Puebla. Fue Jefe Político del Departamento de San . . . — Map (db m111151) HM WM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — Prudencio Moscoso Pastrana
Prudencio Moscoso Pastrana 1913-1991 La vida y obra del humanista, docente, investigador, académico, historiador y cronista, trasciende en prospectiva cultural hacia las generaciones que se sucedan desde este paradigma geopolítico de México: . . . — Map (db m111085) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — The History of San Cristóbal de las Casas
Cuatro marcadores describen la historia de San Cristóbal de las Casas San Cristobal de las Casas fue fundada por el Capitan Don Diego de Mazariegos, el 31 de marzo del año de 1528 con el nombre de Villa Real. Fray Bartolome de las . . . — Map (db m111167) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — The House of the Congress of Chiapas
Casa del Congreso De 1824 a 1892 San Cristobal fue capital política del estado de Chiapas, y en esta casa sesionaba el Congreso del Estado, antes denominado Asamblea Departmental. Aniversario 476 de su fundación 31 de marzo . . . — Map (db m111144) HM
Mexico, Chiapas (Municipality of San Cristóbal de las Casas), San Cristóbal de las Casas — The Mazariegos House
Casa Mazariegos Casa de la sucesión de Diego de Mazariegos, fundador de la ciudad. Su construcción data de finales de la primera mitad del siglo XVI. Su estructura original interior ha sido modificada conservando únicamente su prístino . . . — Map (db m111141) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — “La Nacional” Building
Edificio La Nacional. Construidos a inicios del siglo XX para la compañía de seguros “La Nacional”, es representativo del estilo Art Déco en México. English translation: “La Nacional” Building Built at the . . . — Map (db m111304) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Cuauhtémoc's Last Message
Náhuatl: To tonal ye omotlatiuh to tonal ye omoixpoliuh ihuan zentlayouayan otechkateh Machtikmatih man okzepa uallaz Man okzepa kizakiz Iuan yankuiyotika tech tlauilikeh Mach inoka ompakah miktlan maniz Man zanueliui . . . — Map (db m111407) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Diego Franco
En este Templo fue enterrado Diego Franco. primer actor mexicano. 1753 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: Diego Franco First Mexican actor, was buried in this . . . — Map (db m111311) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Factor Antonio de la Cadena
En esta calle vivio el Factor Don Antonio de la Cadena Hacia 1543 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: On this street lived the Factor Antonio de la Cadena up until . . . — Map (db m111307) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco Javier Clavijero
El Ilustre historiador Francisco Javier Clavijero fue prefecto de estudios a mediados del siglo XVIII en el Colegio de San Ildefonso que ocupó este edificio Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English . . . — Map (db m111314) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Luis de Castilla
Aquí estuvo la casa de Don Luis de Castilla hacia 1550. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: Here was the house of Luis de Castilla until 1550. Office of Monuments of the . . . — Map (db m111334) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of the Count of the Valley of Orizaba
Casa del Conde del Valle de Orizaba Su fachada se decoro hacia 1735 Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. Marcador adicional: … de 1662 fue adquirido … casa principal frente al Convento de San . . . — Map (db m111393) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — José de la Borda
Esta casa fue propiedad y morada del celebre minero Dn José de la Borda. 1775. Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: This house was the property and residence of José de la . . . — Map (db m111363) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Pedestrian Bridge over the Templo Mayor
Puente Sobre el Templo Mayor Este puente atraviesa 700 años de historia de la Ciudad de México. Vas a entrar al corazón del que fuera el Recinto Sagrado de Tenochitlan, una de las ciudades más importantes del mundo antigio. Este espacio público . . . — Map (db m111336) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Sebastián de Aparicio
B. Sebastian de Aparicio, Franciscano Insigne que introdujo en Nueva España en el segundo tercio del Siglo XVI, el utilísimo medio de transportes con carretas, tomó el habito de Religioso en este Convento el 9 de junio de 1574. . . . — Map (db m111391) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Sebastián Lerdo de Tejada
En este sitio estuvo la casa donde vivió el Licenciado Don Sebastian Lerdo de Tejada siendo Presidente de la República. 1872-1876. Dirección de Monumentos Coloniales English translation: This was the site of the house . . . — Map (db m111365) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Temple of the Professed or San José del Real
Templo de la Profesa o de San Jose del RealEntre 1579 y 1610 se construyo en este sitio el Templo Jesuita que fue destruido por la inundación de 1629. De 1714 a 1720 Pedro de Arrieta edificó el templo que vemos hoy, de estilo barroco cuyo altar . . . — Map (db m111358) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Expiatory Temple of San Felipe de Jesús
Templo Expiatorio de San Felipe de Jesús. construido a finales del siglo XIX y dedicado al primer santo mexicano; obra del arquitecto Emilio Dondé. English translation: The Expiatory Temple of San Felipe de Jesús. This temple was . . . — Map (db m111388) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Former School of Jurisprudence
Antigua Escuela de Jurisprudencia. Aquí estuvo el Antiguo Convento de Santa Catalina de Siena; tras su demolición se construyó este edificio que entre 1908 y 1954 albergó a la Escuela Nacional de Jurisprudencia. Forma parte del patrimonio . . . — Map (db m111327) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The House of the Count of San Mateo Valparaiso
Esta fue la casa del Conde de San Mateo Valparaiso construida por el Arquitecto Francisco Guerrero Torres el año de 1780 Dirección de monumentos colonials y de la República English translation: This was the house of the . . . — Map (db m111375) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Museum of the Estanquillo
. . . — Map (db m111349) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Residence of Agustín Iturbide
Esta era la residence de Agustin Iturbide cuando fue proclamado emperador 15 de mayo de 1822 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos English translation: This was the residence of Agustín . . . — Map (db m111383) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Seminary of San Ildefonso
Aquí estuvo el Seminario de San Ildefonso fundado en 1588. Este edificio se construyó en 1749. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: Here was the Seminary of San Ildefonso, . . . — Map (db m111318) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Temple of San Bernardo
Templo de San Bernardo. Iglesia del siglo XVII, perteneciente al convento del mismo nombre. Al abrirse la Av. 20 de Noviembre, la fachada oriente fue girada hacia la calle Venustiano Carranza para conservarse, dando frente a la avenida. . . . — Map (db m111309) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Temple of San Francisco
Templo de San Francisco. Iglesia principal del Antiguo Convento de San Francisco, primera fundación religiosa de la Nueva España y una de las más importantes. La primera iglesia se edificó en el siglo XVI, la actual es del siglo XVIII. . . . — Map (db m111399) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — Construction Systems of the Pyramid of the Sun
Sistemas Constructivos de la Pirámide del Sol La monumentalidad del edificio, sus dimensiones y sus caracteristicas arquitectonicas, muestran el desarrollo tecnológico y los conocimientos de ingenieria y arquitectura que alcanzó la . . . — Map (db m111559) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — Northwest San Juan River Complex
Conjunto Noreste del Río San Juan Debe su nombre a su ubicación en el área central de la ciudad, cerca del límite norte del cauce del Río San Juan y en el lado oeste de la Calzada de los Muertos. Se exploró por vez primera en el año de 1908 . . . — Map (db m111588) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — Teotihuacan
Teotihuacan Hace unos 2400 años, el Valle de Teotihuacan estuvo ocupado por pequenas aldeas con una población de unos 5000 habitantes. Luego, hacia el año 200 a.C., parte de la población del sur de la Cuenca de México, emigró hacia el . . . — Map (db m111594) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — Teotihuacan After Its Abandonment
Teotihuacan tras su abandono Después del abandono de la ciudad, diferentes grupos, como los toltecas y mexicas, se asentaron en el Valle de Teotihuacan y reocuparon algunas de sus áreas por considerarlo un lugar sagrado. Ellos construyeron . . . — Map (db m111557) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Importance of the Pyramid of the Sun
Importancia de la Pirámide del Sol Varios elementos indican que durante las primeras fases de Teotihuacan la Pirámide del Sol fue el punto de partida de los ejes que dividen los espacios divinos. Entre estos elementos están la . . . — Map (db m111592) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Teotihuacán), Teotihuacán de Arista — The Meaning of the Pyramid of the Sun
Significado del la Pirámide del Sol Aunque antes se creía que esta pirámide fue la base de un gran templo dedicado a un dios relacionado con el Sol, el desarollo de las investigaciones arqueológicas ha sugerido una interpretación sobre su . . . — Map (db m111587) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Muncipality of Puebla) — The Hero of Nacozari
El héroe de Nacozari El 7 de noviembre de 1907 Jesús García Corona ofrendó su vida para salvar la de muchos otros, cuando al frente de un convoy en llamas, cargado de dinamita, prefirió mantenerse firme en su puesto de maquinista y alejar el . . . — Map (db m111431) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — A National Railroad Network
La red ferroviaria nacional Una vez establecido el primer tramo de hierro en México en 1850, el arranque de los ferrocarriles mexicanos fue lento, pausado, como una locomotora. Sin embargo, una vez que se tomó el impulso nada los detendría y . . . — Map (db m111429) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Diesel-Electric Locomotives DH-19 and DH-17
Locomotora de tracción diesel-electrica DH-19 y DH-17 Esta es dos de las cuatro locomotoras de este tipo que se conservan en la actualidad, fueron diseñadas para el servicio de pasajeros, llegaron a México después de haber corrido en las . . . — Map (db m111514) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Electric Locomotive FCM 1001
Locomotora electrica FCM 1001 Esta locomotora perteneció a un grupo de catorce máquinas que se construyeron en Estados Unidos, especialmente para México, allá en el año de 1923. Fueron elaboradas para introducir la tracción eléctrica en el . . . — Map (db m111515) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Engine 601
Máquina 601 Esta locomotora fue construida en.1910 en Alemania por las compañías Orenstein & Koppel y Arthur Koppel. A.G., y es una de las cinco que de su tipo existen en México. Fue adquirida por la Secretaría de Guerra y Marina de México en . . . — Map (db m111423) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — From Steam to Diesel
Del vapor al diésel Durante la segunda mitad del siglo XIX la fuerza del vapor fue utilizada no sólo para mover locomotoras sino también para hacer funcionar la maquinaria en los talleres de reparacion, ya que mediante calderas fijas se . . . — Map (db m111509) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — FT Diesel-Electric Locomotive
Locomotora diesel-electrica FT. Unidad A, SBC-2203 In 1939 la General Motors Corporation (GMC) y la Electro-Motive Corporation (EMC) se propusieron diseñar y construir una locomotora que pudiera ser producida de manera masiva y que . . . — Map (db m111495) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Mail Car NM 2555
Coche correo NM 2555 EI Museo Nacional de los Ferrocarriles Mexicanos resguarda y protege alrededor de noventa piezas de equipo rodante que representan una parte importante del patrimonio material ferrocarrilero que existe en México. Entre . . . — Map (db m111425) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — National Railroads of Mexico
Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México 1908 Al comenzar el siglo XIX la red ferroviaria mexicana cubría los puntos neurálgicos del territorio nacional al comunicar, por el lado del Golfo de México, al centro del país con los puertos de . . . — Map (db m111420) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Nationalization of the Railroads of Mexico - 1937
Nacionalización de los ferrocarriles en México – 1937 Como parte de la política desarrollo económico del país que impulsó el gobierno del presidente Lázaro Cárdenas (1934-1940) se consideró fundamental culminar la obra de integración . . . — Map (db m111427) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Passenger CarSecond Class Car NM-4964
Coche de pasajeros Coche de segunda clase N de M-4964 Un coche de pasajeros debe cumplir ciertos requisitos de seguridad y comodidad para los ocupantes. En México los hubo de diferentes clases: Primera, Primera combinada, Segunda, Dormitorio, . . . — Map (db m111497) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Railroads in the Mexican Revolution
Los ferrocarriles en la revolución Al inicio de la Revolución, México contaba con casi 20000 kilómetros de vías férreas y una importante infraestructura ferroviaria. Los ferrocarriles durante el porfiriato habían servido no sólo como . . . — Map (db m111422) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Steam Crane NM-0-19638
Grua de vapor N de M-0-19638 Los accidentes en el sistema ferroviario mexicano, como en cualquier otra parte del mundo, suceden por diferentes causas y razones, entre las que podemos citar las fallas mecánicas, el exceso de velocidad, los . . . — Map (db m111506) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Steam Engines
Las máquinas de vapor En México, la primera máquina movida por vapor fue una bomba que se utilizó para desaguar las minas. Posteriormente, la nueva fuerza tendría su aplicación en muchas áreas de varias industrias, entre ellas la textil, . . . — Map (db m111516) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — Steam Locomotive NM-601
Locomotora a Vapor N de M-601 De las locomotoras que se preservan en México, ésta es una de las más antiguas y vale destacar que cuenta con casi todas sus piezas originales. Fue fabricada por la compañía alemana Orenstain & Koppel en 1910, y . . . — Map (db m111489) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — The Railroad Museum
Museo de Los Ferrocarriles Antigua Estación del Ferrocarril Central Mexicano, erigida por el ex presidente Benito Juárez el 15 de Septiembre de 1869. En el año de 1988 se creó el museo que desde entonces se dedica al rescate, conservación, . . . — Map (db m111517) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of Puebla) — The Railway Stations of Puebla
Las estaciones ferroviarias de Puebla La ciudad de Puebla fue privilegia porque en ella, durante los siglos XIX y XX se establecieron tres empresas ferroviarias, lo cual significó un enorme potencial de desarrollo económico y social para el . . . — Map (db m111287) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of San Andrés Cholula), San Andrés Cholula — The Wishing Well of Cholula
El Pocito de los Deseos En la historia de la humanidad han existido conceptos de interpretacion de los que la naturaleza nos da como beneficio a los que vivimos en este mundo. Tal es el caso de los Pocitos de Agua Santa que se dieron mucho en . . . — Map (db m111275) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of San Pedro Cholula), San Pedro Cholula — Bernardino Rivadavia
Bernardino Rivadavia Primer Presidente de la Republica Argentina La ciudad de Cholula de Rivadavia toma su nombre en 1895 Gobernador del Estado de Puebla Lic. Mariano Piña Olaya Presidente Municipal de Cholula C. Jose Jimenez Espinosa . . . — Map (db m111266) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of San Pedro Cholula), San Pedro Cholula — Cholula
Cholula significa "Lugar de los que huyeron" o "Agua que cae en un lugar de huida". Se trata de un importante asentamiento prehispánico localizado en el estado de Puebla que goza de una ocupación ininterrumpida hasta nuestros días; en el . . . — Map (db m111273) HM
Mexico, Puebla (Municipality of San Pedro Cholula), San Pedro Cholula — Dr. Alfredo Toxqui Fernández de Lara
1913 2004 A la memoria del Hijo Prediltecto de Cholula Dr. Alfredo Toxqui Fernández de Lara Politico, Humanista, Investigador, Amante de la Cultura Cholulteca y Orgullo de esta Ciudadd “Cancelemos odios y rencores, para el progreso de . . . — Map (db m111269) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Huimilpan), Huimilpan — Introduction of Electricity to Huimilpan
Siendo Presidente de la Republica el C. Lic. Adolfo Lopez Mateos y Gobernador del Estado el C. Ing. Manuel Gonzalez Cosio Fue inaugurado el servicio de energía eléctrica gracias a la Comision Federal de Electricidad con la cooperación del . . . — Map (db m111207) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of San Joaquín), San Joaquín — The National Huapango Dance Contest
El Gobierno del Estado de Querétaro y el H. Ayuntamiento de San Joaqín 1997-2000 se altecen al rendir homejaje con esta obra escultórica, a las generaciones de “bailadores” y “bailadoras” de son huasteco, que con su arte, . . . — Map (db m111562) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Orizaba), Orizaba — General Camerino Z. Mendoza
26 agosto 1879 1979 Gral. Camerino Z. Mendoza H. Ayuntamiento de Orizaba 1976 1979 Centenario de su nacimiento English translation: August 29 1879 - 1979 General Camerino Z. Mendoza Honorable Town Council of Orizaba 1976 - 1979 On . . . — Map (db m111206) WM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Orizaba), Orizaba — Porfirio Díaz Mori
General Porfirio Díaz Mori Oaxaca 1830- París 1915 “Orden y Progreso” Orizaba 2015 Militar activo por 31 años Héroe de las Batallas de: Calpulalpan Puebla 5 de Mayo Oaxaca Revolución de Tuxtepec Presidente de . . . — Map (db m111249) HM WM
Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Kitts (Saint George Basseterre Parish), Basseterre — The Berkley Memorial
• This monument was erected in 1883 in honour of Thomas Berkley, a former president of the General Legislative Council in St. Kitts in the 1880s. • Located in the heart of the circus, the four clock faces are a replica of the Big Ben clock located . . . — Map (db m111343) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — All the Year Round, conducted by Charles DickensWine Office Court
[Inset within a reproduction of the front cover of All The Year Round is the marker text:] Saturday, 30th April, 1859 Charles Dickens, pen name "Boz", operated out of the Cheshire Cheese Pub while producing his journal "All . . . — Map (db m111228) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Bradbury & Evans
Site of Bradbury & Evans Printer and Publisher of Dickens and Thackeray 1847 - 1900 — Map (db m111139) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Charles Lamb
Elia To the immortal memory of Charles Lamb Perhaps the most beloved name in English literature who was a bluecoat boy here for 7 years B. 1775   D. 1834 [Lower panel:] This memorial was moved here in . . . — Map (db m111337) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Francis BarberA BBC History Project
Once a slave in Jamaica FRANCIS BARBER Samuel Johnson's servant, friend and heir LIVED HERE 1752-1756 — Map (db m111218) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Furnival's Inn
Site of Furnival's Inn Demolished 1897 — Map (db m111294) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Giltspur Street Compter
Site of the Giltspur Street Compter Demolished 1854 — Map (db m111142) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Mozzagrogna and Caldari War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m111295) WM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Poulters' Hall
Near this spot stood Poulters' Hall 1630-1666 — Map (db m111146) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Royal College of Physicians
Site of the Royal College of Physicians 1674 - 1825 — Map (db m111145) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Samuel Pepys
In a house on this site Samuel Pepys, Diarist, was born. 1632-1703 — Map (db m111178) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St Paul's School
Near this spot from 1512 until 1884 stood St. Paul's School Founded by Dean Colet — Map (db m111149) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Sunday Times Premiere Issue
The first number of The Sunday Times was edited at 4 Salisbury Court by Henry White October 20 1822 — Map (db m111372) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Automobile Association
The Automobile Association opened its first office in this building in the year 1905. This plaque was unveiled on the 28th June 1965 by the Right Honourable The Lord Mayor of London, Sir James Miller, D.L., LL.D., to mark the . . . — Map (db m111121) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Church of the Holy SepulchreKnown as St Sepulchre Without Newgate
Built on the site of a Saxon church dedicated to St Edmund the church became known as St Edmund and the Holy Sepulchre during the years 1103 to 1173, when it was in the care of Augustinian Canons, who were Knights of the Holy Sepulchre. Later, the . . . — Map (db m111296) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Daily ExpressHind Court
[Inset within a reproduction of the front page of the first edition of The Daily Express is the marker text:] Tuesday, 24th April, 1900 The first edition of the Daily Express was published in Fleet Street. It was one of the first . . . — Map (db m111227) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Golden Boy of Pye Corner
The Boy at Pye Corner was erected to commemorate the staying of the Great Fire which beginning at Pudding Lane was ascribed to the Sin of Gluttony when not attributed to the papists as on the monument and the Boy was made prodigiously fat to . . . — Map (db m111297) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The StandardCheshire Court
. . . — Map (db m111376) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Ye Olde Cheshire CheeseUnder 15 Sovereigns
Rebuilt 1667 in the reign of Charles II and continued successively in the Reigns of James II 1685-1688 Interregnum Dec. 11, 1688 - Feb. 13, 1689 William III & Mary II 1609 - 1702 Anne 1702 - 1714 George I 1714 - 1727 George . . . — Map (db m111396) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding
Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding was Commander-in-Chief of Fighter Command, Royal Air Force, from its formation in 1936 until November 1940. He was thus responsible for the preparation for and the conduct of the Battle of Britain.

With . . . — Map (db m111385) HM WM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Park (1892 - 1975)Defender of London 1940
Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Park commanded Number 11 Group Fighter Command which defended London and South East England successfully during the Battle of Britain

Responsible for the hour by hour decisions of 11 Group New Zealander Keith Park . . . — Map (db m111059) HM WM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Bush HouseBBC Heritage Trail
International radio, television and online content made here 1941-2012 — Map (db m111183) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Chindit Memorial
[Front:] The Chindit Badge Portraying a Chinthe, A Mythical Beast, Guardian of Burmese Temples from which was derived the name Chindits, their motto being

The Boldest Measures Are The Safest

In Memory Of All . . . — Map (db m111474) HM WM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Edward Gibbon1737-1794
Historian lived in a house on this site 1773-1783 — Map (db m111239) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Globe TheatreTheatreland - Heart of the Performing Arts in London
The third theatre to bear the title of its bankside namesake was originally known as the 'Hick's Theatre' and was built by the eminent theatre designer W G R Sprague. The Globe Theatre continues to delight with a successful mix of serious drama and . . . — Map (db m111360) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Grosvenor Chapel
In this chapel the armed forces of the United States of America held divine service during the Great War of 1939 to 1945 and gave thanks to God for the victory of the Allies. — Map (db m111356) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Hector Berlioz1803 - 1869
Composer stayed here in 1851 — Map (db m111480) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Iraq and Afghanistan Memorial
[Obverse:] Iraq

Afghanistan

[Reverse:] Duty

Service

[Text around base of memorial:]

In recognition of all British military personnel and UK civilians who served and worked in Iraq 1990-2009 . . . — Map (db m111351) WM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — James Smithson1764 - 1829
Scientist Founder of the Smithsonian Institution lived here — Map (db m111027) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Karl Ghattas1958 - 2007
Philosopher, Surgeon Printer & Poet lived here

The Artist is Dead Long Live the Poet — Map (db m111505) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Mary Seacole1805 - 1881
Jamaican Nurse Heroine of the Crimean War lived here — Map (db m111124) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Monument to the Women of World War II
The Women of World War II [South Panel:] This memorial was raised to commemorate the vital work done by over 7 million women during World War II Funded by the charity Memorial to Women of World War II and supported by . . . — Map (db m111050) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Polish Navy Headquarters
. . . — Map (db m111402) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Queen's CollegeFounded 1848
This College is an Independent Day School for girls aged 11-18 and was the first academic institution for girls providing qualifications and access to education — Map (db m110918) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Quintin Hogg1845-1903
Founder of the Polytechnic, Regent Street lived here 1885-1898 — Map (db m111522) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Robert Falcon ScottCaptain Royal Navy
Who with four companions E.A. Wilson, H.R. Bowers, L.E.G.Oates, E.E. Evans died March 1912 returning from the South Pole   "Had we lived I should have had a tale to tell of the hardwood endurance and courage of my companions which would have stirred . . . — Map (db m111430) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Simón Bolívar1783-1830
Liberator of Latin America lodged here in 1810 — Map (db m111186) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir F. Paolo Tosti
Sir F. Paolo Tosti K.C.V.O. Musician 1846-1916 lived in a house on this site 1886 - 1916 — Map (db m111234) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Julius Benedict1804 - 1885
Musical Composer Lived and died here — Map (db m111022) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Patrick Manson1844 - 1922
Father of Modern Tropical Medicine lived here — Map (db m111502) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Ronald Ross1857 - 1932
Nobel Laureate Discoverer of the mosquito transmission of malaria lived here — Map (db m111416) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Stewart Duke-Elder1898-1978
Opthamologist lived and worked here 1934-1976 — Map (db m111513) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Stephen Pearce1819 - 1904
Portrait and Equestrian Painter Lived Here 1856 - 1884 — Map (db m111503) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Burghers of Calais
These figures known as The Burghers of Calais commemorate six citizens of that town who offered themselves as hostages to Edward III after he had vainly besieged their town for nearly a year in 1317. The story goes that their . . . — Map (db m111426) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Edgar Wallace
Edgar Wallace was born April 1st, 1875 in Greenwich, London. When he was nine days old, Richard Horatio Edgar, was adopted by George Freeman, a porter at Billingsgate Fish Market, and grew up under the adopted name of Dick Freeman. At 11, he started . . . — Map (db m111140) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Flying Horse
The Flying Horse is the last remaining pub on Oxford Street. The current building was built in 1892 and had been called The Tottenham since then. Prior to 1892, another pub called The Flying Horse was located on the site which dates back to at least . . . — Map (db m111433) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The George
The George was founded in 1723 as a coffee house, became Georges Hotel in 1830 and then a public house as it is today. Former regulars of The George include Horace Walpole, Oliver Goldsmith and Samuel Johnson, who for a while used The George as his . . . — Map (db m111181) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor
On this site The Imperial Society of Knights Bachelor was founded on 27th April 1908

31 Essex Street — Map (db m111382) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Portuguese Embassy
These two houses were the Portuguese Embassy 1724 - 1747 The Marquess of Pombal Portuguese Statesman Ambassador 1739-1744 lived here — Map (db m111128) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Thomas Woolner RA
Sculptor and Poet lived here 1860 - 1892 — Map (db m111408) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Thomas Young1773-1829
Man of Science lived here — Map (db m111476) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — William Ewart Gladstone1809 - 1898
Statesman Lived here — Map (db m111057) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Bedford College for Women
Bedford College for Women University of London founded here in 1849 by Elizabeth Jesser Reid — Map (db m111470) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Benjamin Disraeli
Earl of Beaconsfield Born Here 1804 — Map (db m111137) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Charles Dickens
Novelist Lived in Tavistock House near this site 1851 - 1860 — Map (db m110946) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Charlotte Mew1869 - 1928
Poet lived here 1869 - 1890 — Map (db m111134) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dr. Robert Willan1757 - 1812
Dermatologist lived here — Map (db m111064) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Isaac D'Israeli
Author Lived here. Born | Died 1766 | 1848 — Map (db m111063) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Lady Ottoline Morrell1873 - 1938
Literary Hostess and Patron of the Arts lived here — Map (db m111457) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Rosetti, Morris, and Burne-Jones
In this house lived in 1851 Dante Gabriel Rossetti Poet and Painter and from 1856 to 1859 William Morris Poet and Artist and Sir Edward C. Burne-Jones Painter — Map (db m111362) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Saint Pancras Parish Church
History

The Parish and Municipal Church of St. Pancras is dedicated to the Roman Boy Pancratius who was martyred by the Emperor Diocletian in the Year 304.

The old Church in Pancras Road is the oldest Building in the Borough dating . . . — Map (db m110932) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — The Bloomsbury Group
Bloomsbury Group members Virginia Woolf Duncan Grant Adrian Stephen Leonard Woolf & John Maynard Keynes lived in a house on this site 1911-1912 — Map (db m111130) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Louisville — Louisville World War II Memorial
. . . — Map (db m111576) WM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Jefferson Davis Highway
Soldiers of the Confederacy and of the World War — Map (db m111575) HM
Alabama (Choctaw County), Silas — Silas Elementary SchoolChoctaw County
The Choctaw County Board of Education built Silas Elementary School in 1936 with support from the Alabama State Department of Education. Students attended the school from 1936-2005. After nearly 70 years as a school, the building took on a new . . . — Map (db m110975) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Whatley — Whatley, Alabama
Front Originally home to Creek and Choctaw Indians, Whatley was first settled by pioneers about 1808. Some of the most famous events in Clarke County’s history happened in or near Whatley. A Creek War battle occurred here in 1812 at Fort . . . — Map (db m110971) HM
Alabama (Covington County), Lockhart — W.S. Harlan School
William Stewart Harlan was the manager of Jackson Lumber Company in Lockhart, established in the early twentieth century as a mill town during the booming demand for longleaf yellow pine. Marketed as Dixie Rift Flooring and Dixie Poles and . . . — Map (db m111256) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Jonathan Quinn Pettus
Named Associate Director of Marshall Space Flight Center in 2016, Jonathan Pettus was honored with the NASA Medal for Outstanding Leadership in 2005 and the Presidential Rank Award of Distinguished Executives in 2009. — Map (db m111065) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Guntersville — Claysville Junior High School
Claysville School was born of community pride and the tireless labor of the people. Built on five acres bought for two dollars per acre from C. W. Baird, Sarah Baird, and H. D. Walls, Claysville School was completed on February 19, 1929. Led by . . . — Map (db m110731) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Chickasaw — City of Chickasaw
Front The name Chickasaw originated from Native Americans living in the area prior to the arrival of the French settlement at Twenty-Seven Mile Bluff in 1702. Native Americans from the Apalachee and Choctaw Tribes referred to the creek . . . — Map (db m111286) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 1 — Andrew N. Johnson
Andrew N. Johnson, born 1865 in Marion, Alabama, graduated from Talladega College in 1886, and taught in rural Alabama. On this site in 1894, he established the Mobile Weekly Press, a voice for African-Americans, "A.N.", a powerful member of the . . . — Map (db m111347) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Caldwell Field
Caldwell Field is named in honor of James Henry Caldwell, celebrated for
 bringing the concept of the manufactured gas business to the City of Mobile.
 On September 20, 1836, Mr. Caldwell entered into a contract with the
 City of . . . — Map (db m111390) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 6 — Caldwell School
Opened in 1887 as Broad Street Academy, this was the site of Mobile's first public high school for African Americans. The building was razed in 1947, and a new elementary school was constructed and named in recognition of William Caldwell, the first . . . — Map (db m111353) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Catholic Cemetery
Catholic Cemetery, established in 1848 by Michael Portier, Bishop of Mobile, with purchase of five acres on Stone St., now Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Significant for its circular pattern original section has three concentric rings of graves . . . — Map (db m111357) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 10 — Christian Benevolent Funeral Home
Mrs. Pearl Johnson Madison was one of the early African-American women to own a funeral home in the state of Alabama in 1928. The funeral home and burial association served the African-American community when white mortuaries would not. Today, the . . . — Map (db m111310) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 7 — Christopher First Johnson House
C. First Johnson was an entrepreneur, pastor of St. Louis Street Baptist Church, and lecturer. Johnson ran for political office in the 1890's. He founded the Union Mutual Aid Association, Mobile's first black-owned insurance company. By 1911, his . . . — Map (db m111317) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 14 — Dave Patton(1879-1927)
Patton began his hauling business with two mules and grew to become a prominent real estate entrepreneur and contractor, building many area roads and schools. Patton purchased this site in 1900. According to oral tradition, he commissioned architect . . . — Map (db m111313) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 16 — Dr. James A. Franklin(1886-1972)
This was the residence of Dr. Franklin, who served the medical needs of Mobile for fifty-three years. He never turned an indigent patient away. Franklin was the only African-American to graduate from the University of Michigan in 1911. He opened his . . . — Map (db m111350) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 17 — Dunbar/Central High School
Dunbar School was built on this site in 1924. Dr. W.A. Caldwell was its first principal. In 1947, the Old Medical College on St. Anthony Street was remodeled and became Central High School. Dr. Benjamin Baker was named principal. In 1955, the . . . — Map (db m111386) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Emerson Institute
On this site stood Emerson Institute, Mobile's first school for the formal education of African-Americans and one of the few 19th-century normal schools for African-Americans in Alabama. Founded 1865 by the Freedmen's Bureau, the school was run by . . . — Map (db m111289) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 11 — Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd / Founding MembersEst. 1854 / May 28, 1854
Front Alabama's oldest African-American Episcopal congregation was fostered in Trinity Church by the Reverend J. A. Massey. The Right Reverend Nicholas H. Cobbs, D.D., Alabama's first Episcopal Bishop confirmed the seven founding . . . — Map (db m111387) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 20 — Finley's Drug Stores
John L. Finley Jr. opened Finley's Pharmacy #1 in 1950. John and his brother, James, established Finley's #2 in 1959, which was later sold to Benjamin F. Jackson, Sr. James H. Finley. Sr. eventually opened six stores, launching the first black . . . — Map (db m111305) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Home of Joe Cain — Alabama Bicentennial 1819-2019
Joseph Stillwell Cain Jr., recognized today as the patron saint of Mardi Gras in Mobile, purchased this plot of land in 1859 for $500, along with his wife of more than three years, Elizabeth Rabby Cain. The couple built a four-room classic revival . . . — Map (db m111285) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — John L. LeFlore1903- 1976
A postal worker, a community leader, a state legislator, a journalist, and a civil rights activist, Mobile native John L. LeFlore spent 50 years working to peacefully transform the character of the city and create opportunities to enhance citizens' . . . — Map (db m111413) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 25 — Johnson and Allen Mortuary
The funeral home was purchased in 1906 by Clarence Allen and Edgar Harney. They buried people of all races. Harney died in 1911, and A.N. Johnson became a partner. Johnson and Allen is the oldest African-American funeral home in Alabama that has . . . — Map (db m111301) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Joseph (Joe) N. Langan1912 - 2004
Joseph (Joe) N. Langan devoted his life to helping others and championing noble causes. He provided wisdom as a city and stare leader and served courageously as a U.S. Army officer during World War II and the Korean War. As a leading advocate for . . . — Map (db m111415) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 27 — Michael Donald
On March 21, 1981, 19-year-old Michael Donald was abducted, beaten, killed and hung from a tree on this street by members of the Ku Klux Klan. He was randomly selected in retaliation for an interracial jury failing to convict a black man for killing . . . — Map (db m111384) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 29 — Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church
Organized in 1899 as St. Anthony's Mission by Creoles of African descent. By 1901, Josephite priests Revs. Joseph St. Laurent and Louis Pastorelli had established a small school. The present church was completed in 1908 and dedicated as Most Pure . . . — Map (db m111302) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 30 — National African-American Archives and Museum
George B. Rogers, a prominent architect, designed this smaller replica of the main library in 1931. It is a classically inspired white structure with linear lines. It was the only library for blacks until desegregation in the mid-1960s. Today it is . . . — Map (db m111308) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Protestant Children's Home
This building was erected in 1845 by the Protestant Orphans Asylum Society, to care for children left homeless after the disastrous fires and yellow fever epidemics of the 1830s. It has operated continuously since that time. — Map (db m111293) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Springhill Avenue Temple CongregationSha'Arai Shomayim Umaskil El Dol — (The Gates of Heaven and the Society of the Friends of the Needy)
Organized in Mobile on January 29, 1844, this Reform Jewish Congregation is the oldest in Alabama and one of the oldest in the United States. Members met in homes until December 27, 1846, when the St. Emanuel Street Temple was dedicated. The . . . — Map (db m111291) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 33 — St. Martin de Porres Hospital
Established in 1947 by the Catholic Archdiocese of Mobile for the black community because segregation prevented black doctors from admitting patients to the City Hospital. Present building erected in 1950 and named for St. Martin de Porres, who was . . . — Map (db m111355) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 37 — Stone Street Baptist Church
Stone Street Baptist Church, Alabama's first baptist church, organized in 1806, thirteen years before Alabama became a state and thirty years after this nation was formed the Stone Street Baptist Church, also called "The African Church", was . . . — Map (db m111395) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Knights of Peter Claver Monument
In the See City of the Diocese of Mobile - Birmingham Fifty years ago, on November 7, 1909 The Order of the Knights of Peter Claver was founded by Father Conrad F. Rebesher, S.S.J. Father John H. Dorsey, S.S.J. Father . . . — Map (db m111479) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Mitchell Home
Built for Judge John Bragg in 1855; Thomas James, supervising architect. After 1880 owned by Pratt, Upham and Frank Davis families. Acquired 1925 by A.S. Mitchells who restored house and lived here forty years. — Map (db m111288) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 39 — Vernon Z. Crawford Law Firm
Vernon Crawford established the first African-American law firm in Mobile. He successfully argued the Birdie Mae Davis case that desegregated Mobile schools. He stood before the Supreme Court and won the landmark case of Bolden vs. the City of . . . — Map (db m111319) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Vivian Malone JonesJuly 15, 1942 - October 13, 2005
Side 1 On May 30, 1965, Vivian Malone, became the first African-American to graduate from the University of Alabama. To achieve admission at the all-White university, she was forced to confront then Governor, George C. Wallace, in what has . . . — Map (db m111392) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Plateau — Cudjoe “Kazoola” Lewisc. 1840-1935
Last known survivor of the last known slave ship to enter the United States Circa 1859, Cudjoe Lewis, a native of the Yoruba tribe in what is now the West African country of Benin, was one of over a hundred African men and women . . . — Map (db m111436) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Elam Baptist Church
Organized on June 19, 1819, by Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter, Old Elam is one of Montgomery's earliest Baptist churches. It began with fourteen members and was one of the four original churches that comprised . . . — Map (db m111373) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Banks — Hobdy's Bridge: Last Indian Battles in Alabama
The Second Creek War of 1836 broke out when many Creek Indians resisted forced removal after an 1832 treaty ceded the last of their tribal lands in Alabama. As hostility increased between white settlers pouring into the area and Creeks who were . . . — Map (db m111577) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Chancellor's Residence
Built in 1961 and renovated in 1989, the Chancellor's residence is the "front door" to the University. It has served as the entertainment site for international, national, state and local leaders, including ambassadors, U.S. Senators, governors, . . . — Map (db m111582) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Janice Hawkins Park"An excellent wife is the crown of her husband."Proverbs 12:4
Janice Hawkins Park was named in honor of the First Lady of Troy University, a devoted wife and loving mother, whose work benefited Troy in the fine arts, service to students, internationalization of the University, and support of military veterans. . . . — Map (db m111581) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Troy — Violata Pax Dove
The Violata Pax (Wounded Peace) Dove symbolizes beauty and peace, sorrow and tragedy. Where you stand determines what you see. The sculpture was originally commissioned as part of a post-earthquake renovation project for the Basilica of Saint . . . — Map (db m111584) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Crawford — Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge
Front This historic building was erected in 1848 to serve as the Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge No. 96. At the time, this community of Crawford, Alabama (formerly known as Crockettsville from 1832 - 1843, named after Davy Crockett) was . . . — Map (db m111586) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Temple Bar Marina — Taming the Colorado
You are looking into Black Canyon and a narrow, river-like portion of Lake Mohave. To your left, about 59 miles downstream, is Davis Dam. To your right, 11 miles upstream, is Hoover Dam. The U.S. Government built the dams to tame the periodic . . . — Map (db m111185) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Rogerio Rocha
Rogerio Rocha was born in 1801, in the village of Mapanga, and was baptized in the San Fernando Mission. Rocha became a well-known blacksmith in California. In Rocha's early years he became the Captain of Mapanga, which is known today as the town of . . . — Map (db m110948) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Memorial Grove
Memorial Grove Dedicated to those women who served in the World War. Capital City Women's Post #389 American Legion May 30, 1939 — Map (db m110677) WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Klockars' Blacksmith Shop
Beginning in the 1860s, foundries South of Market Street fabricated mining machinery, railroad cars, and ships. This 1912 machine shop is the last. Fred V. Wilbert forged fine tools here. Edwin A. Klockars (1898-1994), a native of Munsmo, Finland, . . . — Map (db m110905) HM
California (Tehama County), Tehama — 183 — First Seat of Tehama County Government
Tehama County's board of supervisors and other county officials first met in rented rooms in the Union Hotel, later called Heider House. The county seat remained here from May 1856 to March 1857, when it was moved to Red Bluff. The Heider House was . . . — Map (db m110474) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Castle Rock
To the east stands Castle Rock, which is an outcropping of South Table Mountain. It is a frequently used symbol of Golden appearing on the city flag, as well as being an icon of the Coors Brewery for many years. The top of Castle Rock was a . . . — Map (db m111367) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol SquareHistorical Information
General Plan for the Improvement of the U.S. Capitol Grounds by Frederick Law Olmsted, 1874 Following the extension of the Capitol in the 1850s-1860s, the grounds were enlarged in 1872. In 1874 Congress commissioned Frederick Law . . . — Map (db m111439) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol SquareHistorical Information
1 Summerhouse Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — Map (db m111446) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol SquareHistorical Information
1 Summerhouse Constructed in 1879-1880 , the Summerhouse offers visitors a shaded place to rest, admire views of the Capitol, and have a drink of water. Olmstead's principal architectural assistant Thomas Wisedell, was the designer. The . . . — Map (db m111468) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square, NWHistorical Information
The Peace Monument By Franklin Simmons, 1878 The Peace Monument, also called the Naval Monument, was erected to commemorate the naval deaths at sea during the Civil War. at the top of the 44-foot monument, Grief, sometimes . . . — Map (db m111437) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Capitol Square, NWHistorical Information
The Robert A. Taft Memorial Carillon Sculpture by Wheeler Williams Architecture by Douglas W. Orr, 1959 The memorial consists of a 100-foot Tennessee marble tower and a 10-foot bronze statue of Senator Taft. The twenty-seven . . . — Map (db m111460) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Robert A Taft
West side of marker This memorial to Robert A Taft presented by the people to the Congress of the United States stands as a tribute, to the honesty indomitable courage and high principles of free government . . . — Map (db m111449) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — United States Capitol — East Front
Front: One of the icons of world architecture, the U.S. Capitol has been the meeting place of Congress since 1800. President George Washington laid the cornerstone on September 18, 1793. While under construction, the the building was . . . — Map (db m111467) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — War Garden
The AOC has recreated a War Garden as it would have been during World War I. Materials, planting schedules and methods such as companion planting and succession planting, have been adopted from period publications. The vegetables are primarily . . . — Map (db m111462) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — War Gardens Over the TopLibrary of Congress
World War I Era War Garden In March 1917, the National War Garden Commission urged Americans to help its starving allies in Europe by planting vegetables on lands not generally used for gardening. Civilians across the country pitched in, . . . — Map (db m111463) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Deanwood — 100 Years of Afro-American HistoryBy Jerome Johnson
Westernmost panel: 100 Years of Afro-American History By Jerome Johnson Sponsors D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities Sign of the Times Cultural Workshop & Gallery CFC # 16414 & United Black Fund #8558 . . . — Map (db m110945) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Deanwood — 2 of 15 — A Day at the Picture ShowA Self-Reliant People — Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail
The Two-Story Art Deco Style Building on your left was once the Strand Theater. Abe Lichtman, a Jewish businessman whose movie theaters catered to black patrons, opened the Strand in 1918. Lichtman also operated the Lincoln and Howard theaters . . . — Map (db m110479) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Deanwood — 5 of 15 — A Whirl on the Ferris WheelA Self Reliant People — Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail
To your right it is the former Merritt Educational Center which operated from 1943 to 2008. However, if you were standing here in the 1920s or '30s, in its place you would have seen exuberant crowds of fashionably dressed African Americans enjoying . . . — Map (db m110481) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Alma Thomas ResidenceAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1530 15th Street, NW
Alma Thomas (1891-1978), the nationally acclaimed abstract artist, lived in this house from 1907 until her death. In 1924 she became the first graduate of Howard University's Art Department — and possibly the first black woman in the country . . . — Map (db m110908) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Dupont Circle Mural Key
Images Courtesy Of: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division • DC Public Library, Washingtoniana Division • Heurich House Museum • Women's National Democratic Club Archives • Michael Cianciosi Private Collection, Potomac Bottle . . . — Map (db m110851) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 1 of 15 — See You at the CenterA Fitting Tribute — Logan Circle Heritage Trail
Front: The City's Jewish Community Center opened here in 1926. Its grand presence one mile north of the White House expressed Jewish residents' prosperity and their growing contributions to the federal city and the nation. With . . . — Map (db m110907) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — St. Luke's Episcopal Church/Alexander CrummelAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1514 15th Street, NW
This was the first independent black Episcopal parish church in the city. It was established in 1879 by a breakaway group from a Foggy Bottom mission church, St. Mary's Chapel for Colored People, led by former St. Mary's pastor, Alexander Crummell . . . — Map (db m110910) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Thomas Family Home
Thomas Family Home Where Alma Woodsey Thomas American Artist and Teacher Resided 1907 - 1978 This House Was Listed July 28, 1987 in the National Register Of Historic Places National Park Service United States Department . . . — Map (db m110909) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — The IMF
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) promotes cooperation among its member countries on monetary and economic matters. The IMF was established at a conference held at Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, on July 1-22, 1944. Nearly all countries of the . . . — Map (db m111527) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Fort Totten — WOOK-TV BuildingAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 5321 First Place, NE
WOOK-TV, on the air from 1963 to 1972, was the first "all-Negro" television station in the nation. White founder Richard Eaton also started its predecessor, WOOK-Radio, in 1947 in the nation's first "Negro-oriented" radio station. Viewers fondly . . . — Map (db m110234) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Francis Scott Key Bridge
This Bridge is named in honor of Francis Scott Key Author of the Star Spangled Banner September 14, 1814 Then conquer we must for our cause it is just And this be our Motto     In God is our Trust Erected by the National Society . . . — Map (db m111006) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — La Casa LatinaGeorgetown University — Center for Multicultural Equity & Access
Georgetown University La Casa Latina In 2016 La Casa Latina was established with support of the Latinx Leadership Forum. La Casa Latina is a space for community building, identity exploration and advocacy. Center for . . . — Map (db m111193) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — St. Mary'sBuilt 1956
St. Mary's Built 1956 This building is named in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was dedicated to Our Lady of Victory. Originally built as a combined Nursing School and Nurses Dormitory. The building is home to the School of . . . — Map (db m110854) HM

809 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 609
Paid Advertisement