Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

729 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 529
 
Fairfield on the Thames / The Fairfield Mission Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Baker
Fairfield on the Thames / The Fairfield Mission Marker
Ontario (Chatham-Kent Municipality), Thamesville — Fairfield on the Thames / The Fairfield Mission
(Front of monument) Fairfield on the Thames / Fairfield sur la Thames

Here stood the village of Fairfield, destroyed by invading American forces following the Battle of the Thames. , 5th October, 1813. Its inhabitants, Delaware . . . — Map (db m116758) HM

Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — The Niagara Parks Commission / Commission Des Parcs Du Niagara
In 1885, the Province of Ontario established The Niagara Parks Commission as part of an international effort to preserve the natural scenery around Niagara Falls. Originally, the Commission included Colonel Casimir Gzowski, Chairman, John W. . . . — Map (db m116093) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Wm. B. RankineOperating Station of Canadian Niagara Power Company, Limited
Built in 1901-05, it was the first Powerhouse on the Canadian side to produce electrical energy for commercial use and sale outside Niagara Falls. Its location takes advantage of the natural flow of the river which formerly entered here to flow . . . — Map (db m116098) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — 50th Anniversary of the Guatemalan Social Security Institute
Cincuentenario del I.G.S.S. 1946-1996 La Revolucion de Octubre vive por encima y mas alla de cualesquiera de sus hijos mas significados: pertenece al pueblo y constituye su mas alto patrimonio y la noble bandera de Guatemala Luis . . . — Map (db m116230) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Bicentennial of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen
Declaracion aprobada por la Asamblea Nacional en Paris, Francia el 26 de agosto de 1789. En homenaje a sus 200 años y la universalidad y vigencia de sus principios, se erige este monumento, como recordatorio permanente al estado y sus . . . — Map (db m116202) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — First Autonomous University in Guatemala
Aquí se establecio la Primera Universidad Autonoma de Guatemala y de America Decreto Leg. #985-30 Abril 1918 Homenaje de los Senadores de la J.C.I. de Guatemala 1972 English translation: Here was established the . . . — Map (db m116474) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — General Francisco Morazán
General Francisco Morazán Presidente Republica Federal De Centro América 1829-1834 Tegucigalpa Honduras 3 Octubre 1792 San Jose De Costa Rica 15 Septembre 1842 Gloria a su Ideal Centroamericano Asociación de Damas Hondureñas Residentes . . . — Map (db m116466) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Jocotenango ParkRuta Histórica Ciudad de Guatemala
Parque Jocotenango En sus inicios conocida como “Plaza Jocotenango”, constituyó entre los años 1777 a 1879 el centro social y comercial del Pueblo de Indígenas de Jocotenango de Nuestro Señora de la Asunción. La plaza . . . — Map (db m116604) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — José Martí
José Martí Al pueblo de Guatemala ofrenda del Ramon Grau San Martin Presidente de la República de Cuba Homenaje de la respetable logia “Jose Marti” 20 de octubre 1977 English translation: José Martí . . . — Map (db m116660) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Juan Corz
Juan Corz Ermitaño y terciario franciscano natural de Señoría de Génova, Italia quien trajo de España la Imagen de la Virgen En 1620 levantó en este Cerro la primera Ermita. A perpetua memoria Guatemala, 10 Julio 2010 . . . — Map (db m116182) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Juan José Arévalo Bermejo
El Sindicato de Trabajadores del Instituto Guatemalteco de Seguridad Social S.T.I.G.S.S. rinde homenaje al excelentísimo: Doctor Juan Jose Arevalo Bermejo Ex-Presidente Constitucional de la Republica, creador del régimen de Seguridad . . . — Map (db m116254) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Municipal Headquarters of Guatemala City
Palacio Municipal Tipo: Arquitectura Civil Construcción: Siglo XX Estilo: Moderno El Palacio Municipal fue diseñado por los arquitectos Roberto Aycinena y Pelayo Llerena. De los cuatro edificios del movimiento moderno localizados en . . . — Map (db m116210) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Pavón House
Casa Pavón Tipo: Arquitectura Civil Construcción: XIX Estilo: Art Noveau En este edificio se fundó en 1880, uno de los 10 periódicos más antiguos del Nuevo Mundo: el Diario de Centroamérica. Este informativo fue creado por el . . . — Map (db m116207) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — The Guatemalan Peace Accords
Los acuerdos de Paz se suscribieron en un instante, pero su contenido encierra una visión de lo que nos pasó, de lo que somos y de lo que queremos lograr. Guatemaltecos, la Paz firmada en 1996 es nuestra. ¡Cuidémosla! Álvaro Arzú . . . — Map (db m116606) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — The Mexican Fountain at El Cerrito del Carmen
El Gobierno de Mexico y la Colonia Mexicana a Guatemala 20 de Noviembre 1934 Se erigió esta Fuente en la Administración del Gral. Jorge Ubico 14 de Febrero de 1935 Gral. Matías de Galvez gobernó la Capitanía de Guatemala 1778-1783 Siendo . . . — Map (db m116184) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala City (Municipalidad de Guatemala) — Yurrita House
Casa Yurrita Tipo: Arquitectura Residencial Construcción: 1910 Estilo: Historicista Esta casa debe su nombre a Don Felipe Yurrita quien mandó a edificarla según su gusto. Fue inaugurada en 1910 y funcionó como residencia de la . . . — Map (db m116482) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco I. Madero and José María Pino Suárez
Francisco I. Madero (1873 -1913) A la memoria de Francisco I. Madero, quien dio su vida por un México donde reinara la democracia y el imperio de la Ley. Febrero, 2013 José María Pino Suárez (1869 – 1913) A la memoria de . . . — Map (db m116154) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Heberto Castillo Martínez
Ing. Heberto Castillo Martínez 23 agosto de 1928 – 5 de abril de 1997. Nació en Madero, Veracruz. Político mexicano de izquierda, estudió ingeniería civil en la Escuela Nacional de Ingenieros de la U.N.A.M. Durante el . . . — Map (db m116153) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Venustiano Carranza
Venustiano Carranza 1859-1920 Nacio en 4 Cienegas Coahuila en 1859 el 1ro de Mayo de 1917 Carraza fue Presidente y gobernó hasta 1920 English translation: Venustiano Carranza 1859-1920 Born in Cuatro Ciénagas, . . . — Map (db m116151) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Cortazar), Cañada de Caracheo — Blessed Friar Elías del Socorro Nieves
El 10 de Noviembre del año 2007 fue inaugurado este monumento en homenaje al Beato Fray Elías del Socorro Nieves Religioso de la Orden de los Augustinos (1882-1928) que paso por esta tierra haciendo el bien y la sello con su propia . . . — Map (db m116108) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Cortazar), Cañada de Caracheo — Father Elías Nieves
R. P. Fr. Elias Nieves, O.S.A. Nacio el 21 de septiembre de 1882 en Yuriria, Gto. y murió el dia 10 de marzo de 1928 Su cuerpo descansa en el Templo de Cañada de Caracheo ultimo foco de su actividades ministeriales marzo 8 de 1970 . . . — Map (db m116081) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salamanca), Salamanca — The Rectory and Sanctuary of Guadalupe
Rectoría y Santuario de Guadalupe Originalmente fue fundado en los albores del siglo XVIII, en lo que se conoció antes como la capilla de San Juan Nepomuceno y ésta a su vez, fue fundada en el siglo XVII por los jesuitas, que . . . — Map (db m116077) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salamanca), Salamanca — The Temple of Jesus the Nazarene of the Three Falls
Templo de Jesús de Nazareno de las Tres Caídas Su construcción se inició en 1810 concluyéndose en 1840. Se cree que los planos y el diseño arquitectónico de la iglesia fueron obra del famoso arquitecto celayense Franciso Eduardo . . . — Map (db m116073) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipalidad de San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Mesón de la Virgen(The Hostel of the Virgin) — San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, México
Mesón de la Virgen Hoy Escuela Rita Peréz de Moreno Por orden del Pbro. Bachiller Don Vicente Cuellar y González en el año de 1769, se inició la construcción del Mesón de la Virgen con el fin de hospedar en él a los viajeros y . . . — Map (db m116661) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipalidad de San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Temple of the Third OrderSan Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, México
Templo de la Tercera Orden Pequeño Templo construido en la segunda mitad del siglo XVII, de una nave con cruceros. Su fachada es sencilla al estilo franciscano; el ingreso con un arco de medio punto, ventana coral y en uno de los . . . — Map (db m116663) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — Alfredo R. Placencia
Del pueblo de Jalostotitlán al Sacerdote y poeta Alfredo R. Placencia 15 de septiembre 1875 Jalostotitlán 20 de mayo 1930 Guadalajara Gran poeta de nuestra tierra Ayuntamiento de Jalostotitlán Octubre 2013 English . . . — Map (db m116669) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — José María Cornejo
Casa Social Canonigo Don Jose Maria Cornejo Insigne Jalostotilense., sacerdote, compositor, músico y escritor En reconocimiento a su memoria Jalostotitlan, Jal., 12 de agosto de 2007 English translation: Social House . . . — Map (db m116124) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — Pope John Paul II's Visit to Jalostotitlán
Homenaje del pueblo de Jalostotitlán a Su Santidad el Papa Juan Pablo II por su visita a nuestra diocesis el 8 de mayo de 1990 Jalostotitlan, Jal. 15 de agosto de 1999 English translation: A tribute from the people . . . — Map (db m116674) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — The Archaeological Zone of Teocaltitán
Zona Arqueológica “Teocaltitán”El complejo arqueológico Teocaltitán está ubicado en la comunidad del mismo nombre, en el municipio de Jalostotitlán. Es un centro ceremonial del Clásico tardío/Epiclásico que perteneció a la . . . — Map (db m116677) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — The Virgin of the Assumption
La Virgen de la AsunciónLa patrona inmemorial de Jalostotitlán tiene un origen desconocido hasta ahora, pues no se han encontrado documentos que afirmen de donde proviene la imagen, ni la fecha en que llegó a la parroquia, sea cual . . . — Map (db m116675) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Chapel of the First Miracle
Capilla del Primer Milagro Aquí por los años de mil quinientos treinta se construyó la primer ermita, donde estuviera en el incognito la imagen de la virgin de San Juan, aquí donde emergió con prodigio en 1623 en el llamado primer . . . — Map (db m116664) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Sanctuary of Saint Pedro Esqueda
Santuario de San Pedro Esqueda Templo de San Pedro Esqueda. La importancia de este templo es ser el santuario de San Pedro Esqueda Santo mártir de la persecución religiosa. Aquí yacen sus restos mortales en la urna de mármol, y bajo . . . — Map (db m116668) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — The Temple of the Blood of Christ
Sangre de Cristo Se construyo este templo a extramuros y fue que en su entorno se formo un barrio tal, que luego caracterizo un estilo que dio un perfil de ciudadanos con su propia micro cultura en la ya de por si singular ciudad de . . . — Map (db m116666) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Temple and former Convent of Capuchins
Templo y antiguo convento de Capuchinas Esta edificación se comenzó a construir en 1721 con la llegada de las hermanas Clarisas Capuchinas, provenientes del convento de San Felipe de Jesús, en la Ciudad de México. Su fundación fue . . . — Map (db m116155) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Henry Hudson
From this ancient "Tower of Tears" erected 1482 A.D. Henry Hudson set sail April 4th.'1609 A.D. on the vessel "Half Moon" on that voyage of discovery destined to bring him to the harbor of New York and the Hudson River . . . — Map (db m116691) HM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Choc Bay War Cemetery
Choc Bay War Cemetery Commonwealth War Grave The men in whose memory this group of headstones has been set up gave their lives in the service of their country and were buried in this cemetery — Map (db m116638) WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Jean Baptiste Bideau
Jean Baptiste Bideau c. 1770-1817 Born at Desruisseaux in Saint Lucia A sea captain who dedicated his life to freedom and heroically saved the life of Simon Bolivar — Map (db m116642) HM WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Simon Bolivar
. . . — Map (db m116646) HM WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Sir John George Melvin Compton
The Right Honourable Sir John George Melvin Compton Saint Lucia’s First Primer Minister & Champion of Caribbean Integration 1925-2007 — Map (db m116692) HM
Saint Lucia, Castries — The “Cannon” at Walcott Place
The “Cannon” at Walcott PlaceReclaiming our history…. The intersections of Chaussee Rd., Chisel St. and Mary-Ann St form this tiny rectangular "island" green. For many years, this place has been known as the "Cannon." One . . . — Map (db m116647) HM
Saint Lucia, Gros Islet — The Bells of Gros Islet
This stone was laid by his Grace Archbishop Kelvin Felix D.D. 16th December 1993, to commemorate the centenary of the blessing of these bells by Archbishop Flood. In faith and celebration this new belfry was built by the community with support . . . — Map (db m116718) HM
Saint Lucia, Gros Islet, Pigeon Island — Cooperage
Cooperage 1778 In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries British warships, transports and supply ships came and went in Gros Islet Bay and were refitted and resupplied at Pigeon Island. Barrels were the containers of the day. . . . — Map (db m116717) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — City of London School for Girls
Site of the City of London School for Girls founded by William Ward 1894-1969 — Map (db m116573) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Coachmakers' Hall
Site of the Coachmakers' Hall 1703-1940 — Map (db m116544) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — John Bray's House
Adjoining this site stood the house of John Bray Scene of Charles Wesley's Evangelical Conversion May 21st 1738 — Map (db m116542) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — John Milton
The Poet and Statesman John Milton was born 1608 in Bread Street — Map (db m116489) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Marian MartyrsThe Noble Army of Martyrs Praise Thee!
Within a few feet of this spot, John Rogers, John Bradford, John Philpot, and other servants of God, suffered death by fire for the faith of Christ, in the years 1555, 1556, 1557. — Map (db m116782) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Mitre Tavern
Site of The Mitre TavernMap (db m116405) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Bull and Mouth Inn
Site of the Bull and Mouth Inn Demolished 1888 — Map (db m116785) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Daily Courant
In a house near this site was published in 1702 The Daily Courant first London daily newspaper. — Map (db m116510) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Tipperary
The pub was built on the side of a monastery which dated to 1300 where, amongst other duties, the monks brewed ale. This site was an island between the River Thames and River Fleet which still runs under the pub that is now little more than a . . . — Map (db m116403) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Upholders' Hall
Site of Upholders' Hall Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 — Map (db m116406) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Edmund Burke
Author and Statesman, ———————— lived here. ———————— B • 1729. D • 1797. — Map (db m116776) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Former Wardour Street Clubs
This is the Former site of the....

1960s - Flamingo Club Where Georgie Fame recorded "Night Train"

1970s - Whiskey-A-Go-Go Where James Brown and Kool & the Gang played

1980s and 90s - The Wag Club In . . . — Map (db m116768) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Dryden
Poet. Lived here. B. 1631. D. 1700. — Map (db m116332) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Palmerston1784-1865
Prime Minister Born here — Map (db m116546) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Mont Blanc Restaurant
Site of the Mont Blanc Restaurant where leading writers, including Belloc, Chesterton, Conrad and Galsworthy met regularly in the early years of the 20th century. — Map (db m116773) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Alexander Herzen
Alexander HERZEN 1812-1870 operated the Free Russian Press from this building 1854-1856 — Map (db m116778) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Andres Bello1781 - 1865
Poet, Jurist, Philologist and Venezuelan Patriot lived here in 1810 — Map (db m116610) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Christina Georgina Rossetti
Here lived and died Christina Georgina Rossetti Poetess Born 1830:Died 1894 — Map (db m116450) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dorothy L. Sayers1893 - 1957
Writer of Detective Stories lived here 1921-1929 — Map (db m116499) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dorothy Richardson1873-1957
Writer lived here 1905-1906 — Map (db m116497) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Francisco de Miranda1750 - 1816
Lived in this house between 1803 And 1810. Born In Caracas, Venezuela, he was whe forerunner of the independence of the republics of Latin America. Here he met in 1810 The Liberator Simon Bolivar.

Vivio en esta casa . . . — Map (db m116575) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Francisco de Miranda1750 - 1816
Precursor of Latin American Independence lived here 1802-1810 — Map (db m116626) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Henry Mayhew1812 - 1887
Founder of "Punch" and author of "London Labour and the London Poor" lived here — Map (db m116052) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — John Maynard Keynes1883 - 1946
Economist lived here 1916-1946 — Map (db m116762) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Mary Anne Clarke1776 - 1852
Mistress of Prince Frederick Duke of York lived in a house on this site 1803 — Map (db m116498) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Paul Nash1889 - 1946
Artist lived in Flat 176 1914-1936 — Map (db m116164) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Percy Bysshe Shelley and Mary Shelley
Percy Bysshe Shelley 1792-1822 Poet & Radical Thinker & Mary Shelley 1797-1851 Author of Frankenstein lived in a house on this site 1815-1816 — Map (db m116106) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Professor Sir Christopher IngoldNational Chemical Landmark
Chemistry Department University College London

During the period 1930-1970 Professor Sir Christopher Ingold pioneered our understanding of the electronic basis of structure, mechanism and reactivity in organic chemistry, which . . . — Map (db m116440) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Robert Gascoyne Cecil
Robert Gascoyne Cecil 3rd Marquess of Salisbury 1830-1903 Prime Minister lived here — Map (db m116070) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Robert Travers Herford1860 - 1950
Unitarian Minister Scholar and Interpreter of Judaism lived and worked here — Map (db m116484) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Wing Commander Yeo-Thomas
Wing Commander F.F.E. Yeo-Thomas GC 1902-1964 Secret Agent codename 'The White Rabbit' lived here — Map (db m116333) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Islington — Whitecross Debtors Prison (1813-1870)Mad in England
Warm-hearted Nell Gwynne, in her will, desired her natural son, the Duke of St. Albans, to lay out £20 a year to release poor debtors out of prison, and this sum was distributed every Christmas Day to the inmates of Whitecross Street Prison. — Map (db m116086) HM
Alabama, Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Award of Air Force Cross to Keary J.Miller
Citation to Accompany the Award of The Air Force Cross to Keary J.Miller Technical Sergeant Keary J. Miller distinguished himself by gallantry in connection with military operations against an opposing armed force near . . . — Map (db m116584) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Fort Mims And The Creek Indian War, 1813-14
Front: In 1813, people on the United State’s southwestern frontier were fearful. The Redstick faction of the Creek Indian Nation opposed growing American influence in the area and had voted for war. However, Creeks living in the Tensaw . . . — Map (db m116678) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Cedar Bluff — Gen. John B. Hood Headquarters
Gen. Hood, commanding the Dept. of Tennessee and Georgia for the Confederate Army, made his headquarters in this house on Oct. 19, 1864 on his retreat from Atlanta to Tennessee via Gadsden. His army numbered approximately 40,000 troops. — Map (db m116615) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Sand Rock — Sand Rock
The town was named for the characteristics of local rocks. A post office was established in 1855 and closed in 1903. The Sand Rock High School Wildcats won the Class 1A football championship in 1985 and the Class 2A State softball championship in . . . — Map (db m116616) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Whatley — Fort Sinquefield
Fort Sinquefield Kimbell - James Massacre Creek War 1812-13 Erected by Clarke County School Children 1931 Lest we forget Hayden and his dogs. — Map (db m115627) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Globe — Amster Building
Built: 1909 Original use: Drug Store / Saloon Donated to City of Globe Nov. 24, 1997 By Weller Family — Map (db m116033) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — H-12 — Craighead County Court House
The site of Jonesboro was laid off as the county seat of Craighead County in 1859, and there was erected soon afterwards the first court house in the county. — Map (db m116609) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — In Memoriam United Spanish War Veterans1898
{Title is text}Map (db m116621) WM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 95 — Last Confederate Veteran
The last Confederate veteran living in Arkansas, William Murphy Loudermilk, is buried here in Keller’s Chapel Cemetery. Private Loudermilk, who was born Oct. 17, 1847, joined a North Carolina regiment in the Army of Tennessee at age 16 and fought at . . . — Map (db m116195) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — The Arkansas
This is the 16,000 pound anchor off the bow of the nuclear powered guided missile cruiser USS Arkansas, CGN-41. This anchor was placed here in grateful memory of those who served aboard her. Four ships of the United States Navy and one of the . . . — Map (db m116687) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 1 — The Battle of Jonesboro
The Battle of Jonesboro took place at the Craighead County Court House in Jonesboro, Arkansas, on August 2, 1862. Company I, 30th Arkansas Infantry of the Fifth Trans-Mississippi Confederate army, under the command of Captain Mitchel A. Adair, . . . — Map (db m116608) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 96 — Troops Raised in Craighead County
Several companies were raised in Craighead County for the Confederate army. Co. I of the 13th Arkansas Infantry – the “Confederate Grays” – formed in 1861. A company of the 23rd Arkansas Infantry and Co. I of the 30th . . . — Map (db m116186) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Crawfordsville — Crawfordsville
Named for Adolphus Fountain Crawford Born Aug. 15, 1848 Died Feb. 21, 1876 Confederate soldier of Arkansas, he fought under Gen. Price.Map (db m116177) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Confederate Soldier's Memorial1861     1865
In memory of Crittenden County's Confederate soldiers — Map (db m116361) WM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Confederate Soldier's MemorialErected 1936 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
This granite marker on the south lawn was erected by Crittenden County United Daughters of the Confederacy, and dedicated October 4, 1936, as a memorial to those who served with Confederate military during the War Between the States. The magnolia . . . — Map (db m116781) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden Bank & Trust CompanyErected 1919 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
The Crittenden Bank & Trust, the town’s third bank, began operation January 9, 1909, replacing the Bank of Marion which had failed in 1908. Three other short-lived banks were housed in this building. The last banking operation here was that of . . . — Map (db m116727) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden County Health DepartmentErected 1938 Annex 1943 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
The Health Department, dedicated May 4, 1938, was built with funds by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). When additional space was needed, the Crittenden County Negro Business Men's League, led by George Walker, Jr. and John Gammon, . . . — Map (db m116780) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Margaret E. Woolfolk LibraryErected 2001 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
Woolfolk is author of The History of Marion and History of Crittenden County, an award-winning newspaper editor, graduated from Memphis State Law School in 1985 at the age of 68, entered into private practice, and served as Marion . . . — Map (db m116783) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion HotelErected 1911 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
Designed and built by Major Moore for Thomas Koser, the building was completed December of 1911. The building, which is constructed of native hardwoods, brick and concrete, had pressed tin ceilings and hardwood floors. The hotel had its own water . . . — Map (db m116726) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School Auditorium-GynamnasiumErected 1938 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
When classrooms were carved out of the second floor auditorium space in the first high school. Marion students and the entire community used a tabernacle built in 1924 on the south side of the high school for events requiring an auditorium. When the . . . — Map (db m116777) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School DistrictEstablished 1869 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
May 10, 1869, a petition was submitted the county court for established of School District No. One the Marion district. The formation of the district was approved by the circuit superintendent of public schools. The school operated by the original . . . — Map (db m116779) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Military Road
First Highway constructed in Arkansas, Hopefield to Little Rock, extended to Fort Smith and into Indian Territory, (Oklahoma). Built by the United States under supervision of the Quartermasters Department of the United States Army. Survey was . . . — Map (db m116549) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Rhodes StorefrontsCirca 1925 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
One of the city's biggest fires occurred in the early 1900's when a series of businesses in frame buildings on the east side of Court Street were destroyed by fire. Volunteer firefighters brought water from Harvard yards by train to help . . . — Map (db m116545) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — 62 — The Sultana Tragedy
On April 27, 1865, the steamboat Sultana exploded on the Mississippi River. She was heading north, dangerously overloaded with some 2,200 passengers, most of them freed Union prisoners of war from the Andersonville and Cahaba camps. A . . . — Map (db m116352) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — The Loss of the Sultana
Early on April 27, 1865, the overcrowded steamboat Sultana exploded on the Mississippi River near Marion, Arkansas. The vast majority of the Sultana's passengers, believed to number over 2000, were Federal soldiers, recently released . . . — Map (db m116356) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Parkin — Mississippian Garden — Parkin Archaeological State Park
The legacy of the Mississippian culture lives forever through the Three Sisters Garden, like the one you see planted here. The American Indians who lived here over 500 years ago were expert farmers whose most important crops were corn, beans, . . . — Map (db m116605) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Wittsburg — 28 — Wittsburg in the Civil War
After Arkansas seceded from the Union in May 1861, Confederate officers began to recruit in the Wittsburg area. Companies B, D, F and K of the 5th Arkansas Infantry Regiment were organized at Wittsburg June 12-14, 1861. David Cross, for whom Cross . . . — Map (db m116179) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Al Simmons
When illness threatened to end his Hall of Fame career prematurely in 1928, Al Simmons came to Hot Springs to take the baths and hike in the mountain trails. The visit worked wonders, and, encouraged by legendary Athletics' manager Connie Mack, . . . — Map (db m116056) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Babe Ruth Changed Baseball ForeverMarch 17, 1918 — Hot Springs, Arkansas
A towering shot traveled from home plate at Whittington Park into the second alligator pond at the Arkansas Alligator Farm and Petting Zoo. The distance was 573 feet. — Map (db m116082) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Bill Dickey
Discovered while playing in Hot Springs, Arkansan Bill Dickey joined the New York Yankees in 1928. Batting .313 and slugging 202 home runs during his Hall of Fame career, he was best known for his rocket arm, fierce competitiveness, and cerebral . . . — Map (db m116080) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hiram Abiff Whittington1805-1890
Front of Obelisk Born in Boston, Mass., came to Arkansas in 1826 to be printer for the Arkansas Gazette. In 1882 he moved to Hot Springs and in a two room log cabin established a general store, post office and lending library. He served as . . . — Map (db m116351) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Lefty Grove
From humble beginnings in Maryland's coal region, Robert "Left" Grove became baseball's greatest left-handed pitcher. Using his blazing fastball and fiery temperament, he won 300 Major League games (31 in 1931) and 108 International League games. In . . . — Map (db m116503) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — National Baptist Hotel
Built in 1923 as the Woodmen of the Union Building, this hotel, bathhouse, and performance venue quickly became the center of African American culture in Hots Springs. It housed virtually every great Negro League player and entertainer who visited . . . — Map (db m116147) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Jackson County CourthouseBuilt 1869 - 72
. . . — Map (db m116611) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Jacksonport in the Civil War
Jacksonport was one of the main mustering points for the Confederate army in Arkansas. Throughout the war both armies contended for possession of this strategic port located at the center of the White and Black river trade. The Confederate attack on . . . — Map (db m116206) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — 60 — Shelling of Jacksonport
In spring 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas Hindman sent the C.S.S. Maurepas under Capt. Joseph Fry up the White River to destroy Union supplies at Jacksonport and Grand Glaize. Fry arrived on June 2, 1862, and began shelling Jacksonport. Union . . . — Map (db m116187) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Surrender at Jacksonport
Here on June 5, 1865 Confederate General Jeff Thompson formally surrendered the army of Northern Arkansas to Union military authorities. More than five thousand officers and enlisted men who served under Thompson were paroled here, as were several . . . — Map (db m116199) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Newport — G-3 — Jackson County First Court House
The first court house in Jackson County, created in 1832, was located at Litchfield, where it remained until 1839, when it was moved to Elizabeth. In 1852 Augusta (now Woodruff County) was made the county seat and two years later it was moved to . . . — Map (db m116624) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — H-5 — Lee County
The site of Marianna was acquired through a deed from Mary Ann Harland and the heirs of her first husband, Daniel Martin. The town was named in her memory. She was born in Kentucky May 6, 1802: died October 25, 1857. The first court house in Lee . . . — Map (db m116135) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Moro — 44 — Moro in the Civil War / Prelude to Helena
Moro in the Civil War The town of Moro was established in 1850 and about 700 people lived here and nearby when the Civil War began in 1861. Union troops from the 1st Indiana, 1st Missouri, 9th Illinois, 5th Kansas, 2nd Wisconsin, and 3rd . . . — Map (db m116247) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Austin
In 1828 the town of Oakland Grove was founded. By 1861 the name had been changed to Austin, according to a false local legend the once thriving town of over 30 residences was almost selected as the state capitol beginning in 1858 the town was a . . . — Map (db m116644) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — 138 — Austin in the Civil War
As the Civil War began, the Caroline Home Guard formed at Austin on June 29, 1861. The “Austin Rifles” became Co. I, 5th Arkansas Infantry, C.S.A. Both Union and Confederate troops camped at Austin during the war and Federal troops tore . . . — Map (db m116330) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Oakland Grove (Old Austin)Short Cut to Indian Territory 1832-1838 — Trail of Tears Through Arkansas
In 1807, citizens of Crystal Hill built a road to connect Cadron and Arkansas Post. From Cadron the road was built almost due east and continued until they reached the Wattensaw. At the Wattensaw swamps they found an Indian path that led south to . . . — Map (db m116694) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Battle of Brownsville
On August 25, 1863 U.S. and Confederate Cavalry clashed near here. The initial battle involving approximately 7,000 men occurred east of the town. After a brief artillery duel, Col. Geiger's US troopers forced the retreat of Gen. Marmaduke's CS . . . — Map (db m116458) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — 1 — The Little Rock Campaign - BrownsvilleConfederates Fight to Stop Union Advance
On the morning of August 25, 1863, at Bayou Two Prairie (east of where you are standing), Confederate Brigadier General John Marmaduke's troops skirmished with advance elements of Union forces under Brigadier General John Davidson. Marmaduke's . . . — Map (db m116392) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Union Army Marches Into Helena — A Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
On July 12, 1862, the Union army occupied Helena. Over two thousand fugitive slaves seeking the army's protection followed. For two days, the long line of soldiers and freedom seekers filed into Helena. Curtis Marches toward Helena Most . . . — Map (db m116437) HM
Arkansas (Poinsett County), Harrisburg — Poinsett County Military Monument
To all Servicemen and Women of Poinsett County who faithfully serve their country with honor — Map (db m116181) WM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Baucum — 4 — The Little Rock Campaign - River CrossingUnion Troops Cross Arkansas River to Capture Little Rock
North of where you are standing, Union troops on September 10, 1863, constructed a wooden pontoon bridge across the Arkansas River allowing Union Brigadier General John W. Davidson's cavalry division to proceed to Little Rock. Major General . . . — Map (db m116523) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — A Gallant ChargeThe First Iowa Cavalry Charges Burning Reed's Bridge
As Gen. John Davidson saw flames erupting from the only bridge across Bayou Meto, he ordered Lt. Col. Daniel Anderson to take his First Iowa Cavalry Regiment and save the bridge, if possible. Anderson and his men thundered down the Memphis to Little . . . — Map (db m116543) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Brother Against BrotherUnion and Confederate Missourians Fight at Bayou Meto
Missouri, a border state, never seceded from the Union but her people were nevertheless divided and tens of thousands of Missourians wore both blue and gray between 1861 and 1865. Missouri is credited with supplying 109,111 men to Union forces, of . . . — Map (db m116715) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Like Sorrow's Veil...The Confederates Burn Reed's Bridge Over Bayou Meto
Bayou Meto, "a steep-banked and miry stream," provided a natural barrier and defensive position for the Confederates on August 27, 1863. The primary means of crossing the bayou was Reed's Bridge on the Memphis to Little Rock Road. As the . . . — Map (db m116538) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Brigade Moved ForwardThe Opening Movements of the Battle of Reed's Bridge
The first action of the Battle of Reed's Bridge occurred east of where you are standing when 125 Missouri Confederates opened fire on Brigadier General John Wynn Davidson's Union cavalry division at about 11 a.m. on August 27, 1863. The . . . — Map (db m116603) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Memphis to Little Rock RailroadSamson Gray Helps Link the State Capital with the Mississippi
One of the largest public works projects to take place in territorial Arkansas was construction of the Memphis to Little Rock Road, an ambitious effort to allow travelers to cross the dense swamps and Grand Prairie of east Arkansas to . . . — Map (db m116571) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Thunder on Bayou MetoConfederate Artillery in the Battle for Reed's Bridge
As Reed's Bridge burned and Confederate artillery broke up the charge of the First Iowa Cavalry Regiment, Union artillery opened fire on Brigadier General John S. Marmaduke at his position near Lt. Charlie Bell's "little teaser" prairie gun. . . . — Map (db m116569) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Battle of Reed's Bridge
On August 27, 1863 the Federal army was advancing along the Military Road toward Little Rock when its Cavalry Division of 6,000 men under Gen. John W. Davidson attempted a crossing here and was met by a Confederate force of 4,000 under Gen. John S. . . . — Map (db m116508) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Bayou Meto Historic Site
In 1845 the Russell Beall family donated land for Bayou Meto Cemetery. Soon afterward a two story log building was erected in a grove of oaks. Known as Bayou Meto Chapel. the structure served as church, public school and meeting place for . . . — Map (db m116645) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 85 — Bayou Metre Hornets
The 4th Arkansas Infantry Battalion (C.S.) enlisted at Little Rock on Nov. 10, 1861. It included Capt. T.F. Murff’s Co. A, the ‘Bayou Metre Hornets,’ which had received a flag at an Oct. 18 barbecue at modern-day Jacksonville. The regiment fought at . . . — Map (db m116350) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 135 — Confederates at Bayou Meto
Following their defeat at the July 4, 1863, Battle of Helena, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price’s infantry division fell back to Des Arc and Searcy. Price assumed command of the Confederate army in Arkansas on July 23 and Gen. James Fagan took over . . . — Map (db m116472) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 118 — Marmaduke-Walker Duel
Following the Aug. 27, 1863, battle at Bayou Meto, Confederate Gen. John Marmaduke asked to be removed from under Gen. Lucius M. Walker’s command. The two generals were at odds over actions at Helena and Brownsville earlier in 1863. Marmaduke’s . . . — Map (db m116265) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Memphis Military Road
Construction of this earliest road connecting Memphis with Little Rock began in 1826 under the supervision of Lt. Frederick L. Griffith, U.S. Army. It was completed in 1828 under Lt. Charles Thomas. Miles of swamps and numerous streams made the road . . . — Map (db m116509) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Shared Gray     Jacob Gray1758-1836     1762-1837
Revolutionary War soldiers and brothers, Shared fought for North Carolina and Jacob fought for both North and South Carolina. In the winter of 1820-1821 they brought their families here from Williamson County, Tennessee and settled near this site. — Map (db m116507) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 2 — The Little Rock Campaign - Reed's BridgeConfederates Stop Union Advance
Looking northwest fifty yards to your left, the old military road crossed Bayou Meto over Reed's Bridge. Confederate troops fell back to this location from the August 25, 1863, Brownsville skirmish to establish a strong position to stop the Union . . . — Map (db m116516) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Trail of Tears through JacksonvilleTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"The route which the Choctaws and Chickasaws will travel, in emigrating to their new homes, is not yet, we believe, fully determined on; but it is quite probable that a large proportion of them will cross the Mississippi at Helena, and White . . . — Map (db m116572) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — They Passed This WayTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"Long time we travel on way to new land.... Womens cry.... Children cry and men cry...but they say nothing and just put heads down and keep on go towards West. Many days pass and people die very much." -Recollection of a . . . — Map (db m116602) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — A Piece of the Rock, a Piece of HistoryLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
The Little Rock was not always as it is now. To support the Junction Bridge and ensure an adequate channel for river traffic, much of the Rock was removed in 1872 and 1884. No one knows how the Point of Rocks looked before progress took its . . . — Map (db m116557) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Battle of Little Rock
In this vicinity, on September 10, 1863, an invading Federal column under Gen'l Frederick Steele defeated Confederate forces under Gen'l John Marmaduke in the Battle of Little Rock — Map (db m116460) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Casimir Pulaski1748 - 1779 — S.S. Schnittmann, Sculptor, Fecit
This heroic memorial bust of Count Casimir Pulaski was originally placed in the lobby of the Third and Spring street office of Pulaski Federal Savings and Loan Association, predecessor of Savers Federal Savings and Loan Association, in April, 1961, . . . — Map (db m116213) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Douglas MacArthur
World War I 1917-1918 West Point Graduate 1903 Rainbow Division Chief of Staff August 1917, Colonel 84th Brigade 42nd Rainbow Division August 1918, Commander Rainbow Division Commander November 1918, Brigadier General West Point . . . — Map (db m116366) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Engagement at Bayou FourcheSeptember 10, 1863
U.S.A. 10th Illinois Cavalry 1st Iowa Cavalry 2nd Missouri Cavalry 3rd Missouri Cavalry 7th Missouri Cavalry 8th Missouri Cavalry Vaughan's Ilinois Artillery Battery 2nd Missouri Light Artillery (Battery "K" and . . . — Map (db m116463) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 67 — Fort Steele
After occupying Little Rock Sept. 10, 1863, Union officials made plans to fortify the capital city. Construction began Nov. 9 on "a square redoubt which will command the city and all principal approaches". The resulting earthwork was named Fort . . . — Map (db m116240) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — In Memory of United Spanish War Veterans1898 — 1902
{Title is text}Map (db m116215) WM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — It is River CityLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
In the early days of Little Rock, the Arkansas River was the lifeblood of the community. The Little Rock extended out into the river, pulling the current around it to form a natural landing basin for boats. The earliest ferry across the . . . — Map (db m116539) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — One Old RockLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
La Petite Roche ("the Little Rock") refers to the rock outcropping on the Arkansas River used as a navigation point during the early exploration of what would become the state of Arkansas. Sometimes called the Point of Rocks, it is the first . . . — Map (db m116556) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Roosevelt Visits Little Rock
On October 25, 1905, Theodore Roosevelt became only the second sitting president to visit our state. His visit was a key stop on a southern tour following the election of 1904 in which he was elected easily but failed to win any states of the former . . . — Map (db m116375) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Smaller Rock, Big BridgeLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
Post-Civil War, railroads became vital to the Arkansas economy. Point of Rocks was a natural support for a railroad bridge on the river. In October 1872, construction began at the Little Rock with several tons of rock removed from the . . . — Map (db m116541) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 1 — The Arsenal Crisis
The Civil War could have begun at this U.S. Arsenal. As other states seceded, rumors that reinforcements were heading for the Arsenal led around 1,000 militia from south and east Arkansas to demand the surrender of the garrison. On Feb. 12, 1861, . . . — Map (db m116214) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The Big Rock and the Little RockLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
Jean-Baptiste Bénard de La Harpe was the first European explorer to record the existence of a large rocky bluff on the north bank of the Arkansas River. According to his journal, La Harpe named it le Rocher Français ("the French Rock") on . . . — Map (db m116558) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 73 — The Camden Expedition
On March 23, 1864, Gen. Frederick Steele led a Union army south from Little Rock to join another army in Louisiana and invade Texas. After fighting at Elkins' Ferry and Prairie D'Ane, Steele's hungry army occupied Camden. Disastrous defeats at . . . — Map (db m116237) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The First Human Dissection in Arkansas
Front The first human dissection in Arkansas was made on this spot in November 1874 by James H. Lenow M.D. Little Rock and Richard S. Vickery M.D. U.S. Army Rear Erected by the Arkansas Medical Society to perpetuate the . . . — Map (db m116362) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 5 — The Little Rock Campaign - Bayou FourcheThe Battle Before The Fall Of Little Rock
Looking northeast to your right about 300 yards downstream, you can see the area of the primary fighting of the Battle of Bayou Fourche. Fighting began about noon on Wednesday, September 10, 1863, after Union Brigadier General John Davidson's troops . . . — Map (db m116532) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 6 — The Little Rock Campaign - Riverfront ParkLittle Rock Falls
Early in August of 1863 the Union Army began a march from Helena to Little Rock. Confederate troops, commanded by Major General Sterling Price, waited to defend the city primarily from the ridge north of the Arkansas River. But Federal forces . . . — Map (db m116536) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The Quapaw Line
This stone marks the Quapaw Line, west boundary of lands in Territorial Arkansas, ceded the Quapaw Indians by the United States according to the Treaty of 1818 — Map (db m116175) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — United Spanish War Veterans TributeThe Boy's of 1898
A Tribute to the United Spanish War Veterans The Boy's of 1898 The Only 100% Volunteer Army of the United States — Map (db m116176) WM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Witness to RemovalLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
In 1818, the U.S. policy on Indian Removal restricted the Quapaw to a reservation in Arkansas. The western boundary, or Quapaw Line, began at "the Little Rock." This was perhaps the first official use of the name Little Rock. In 1824, a new . . . — Map (db m116565) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), North Little Rock — 34 — C.S.S. Pontchartrain
The elegant steamboat Lizzie Simmons was built in 1859 and ran between Memphis and New Orleans until the Confederate Navy bought her in 1861 and converted her into a gunboat, the C.S.S. Pontchartrain. The vessel fought on the . . . — Map (db m116257) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), North Little Rock — 36 — Confederate Fortifications
Fearing a Union attack on Little Rock, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price ordered his men to fortify the high ground on the north side of the Arkansas River in the summer of 1863. A strong network of earthen works soon developed, including some in what . . . — Map (db m116251) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), North Little Rock — 35 — Huntersville
Arkansas's sole Civil War rail line, the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad, ran from DeValls Bluff to what is now North Little Rock. After U.S. troops occupied the capital in 1863, the Union army built warehouses, shops, and other railroad facilities . . . — Map (db m116260) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), North Little Rock — Marmaduke-Walker Duel
As Union forces advanced to capture Little Rock during the Civil War, the last duel in Arkansas was fought near this spot in an open grove of heavy timber between Confederate Generals John Sappington Marmaduke and Lucius Marshall Walker at . . . — Map (db m116382) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Scott — 3 — The Little Rock Campaign - Ashley's MillsConfederates and Union Forces Skirmish
You are standing in the vicinity of where Confederate forces camped on Monday, September 7, 1863, when Union forces under Major General Frederick Steele advancing from Brownsville engaged the brigade of Colonel Robert C. Newton, C.S.A., driving his . . . — Map (db m116519) HM
Arkansas (White County), Bald Knob — 27 — Confederate Salt Works Destroyed
Gen. J.R. West led 3,094 U.S. cavalrymen in pursuit of 4,000 Confederate horsemen under Col. T.H. McCray and Gen. J.O. Shelby on Aug. 6, 1864. The U.S. troops rode to Austin, Stony Point, Searcy, and Augusta. On Aug. 11, troops of the 10th Illinois . . . — Map (db m116192) HM
Arkansas (White County), Gum Springs — 32 — Action at Des Arc Bayou
On July 8, 1864, a column of 221 men of the 10th Illinois Cavalry headed for Searcy to confront Gen. J.O. Shelbys Confederates, who were operating in the area. They set up camp at Des Arc Bayou on July 13. At 4:30 a.m. July 14, around 500 men under . . . — Map (db m116328) HM
Arkansas (White County), Kensett — 6 — Action At Whitney's Lane
Front One hundred Texas Rangers and 50 local men on May 19, 1862, attacked a foraging party from the 17th Missouri Infantry (U.S.), a unit composed largely of German troops, fighting near here along Whitney's Lane. Union losses were 22 . . . — Map (db m116212) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — 37 — Brig. Gen. Dandridge McRae
Born in Alabama Oct. 10, 1829, Dandridge McRae moved to Arkansas in 1849. A lawyer, he recruited Confederates in 1861 and led a battalion at Wilson's Creek and a regiment at Pea Ridge. Promoted to brigadier general Nov. 5, 1862, he was the only . . . — Map (db m116321) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — 39 — Searcy Landing in the Civil War / Guerrilla War on the Little Red
Searcy Landing in the Civil War Searcy Landing was a steamboat stop with cotton warehouses before the war. On May 9, 1862, Col. P.J. Osterhaus's 3rd Division of the Union Army of the Southwest built a bridge across the Little Red River, . . . — Map (db m116325) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — Spanish Land Grant to John Fayac
. . . — Map (db m116648) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — White County Confederate Monument1861 - 1865 — CSA
Erected to the memory of the Confederate Soldiers of White County by Public Conscription 1917. — Map (db m116708) WM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — F-13 — White County Court House
In 1837, two years after the creation of White County, the site of the town of Searcy was laid off as the permanent seat of justice of the county. — Map (db m116701) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — White County Vietnam Memorial
Dedicated to those who made the supreme sacrifice, and in honor of all the men and women who served their country in a time of need. Killed in Action Dean, Lawrence C. Latimer, Wilbur D. Marsh, Clark L. Solomon, Douglas E. . . . — Map (db m116707) WM
Arkansas (White County), West Point — 38 — Naval Combat at West Point / Combat on the Little Red River
Naval Combat at West Point The U.S. gunboat Cricket steamed up the Little Red River Aug. 14, 1863, hunting the Confederate steamboats Kaskaskia and Tom Sugg. She captured the vessels at Searcy Landing and destroyed a . . . — Map (db m116269) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — "It Was a Hard Little Fight"The Battle of Fitzhugh's Woods, April 1st, 1864
As Maj. Gen. Frederick Steele's Union army marched into southwest Arkansas in the spring of 1864, Col. C.C. Andrews was ordered to lead an expedition to Woodruff County. The column's orders were to keep Brig. Gen. Dandridge McRae from recruiting . . . — Map (db m116643) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — 50 — Action at Fitzhugh's Woods
Col. Christopher C. Andrews led 231 men of the 3rd Minnesota Infantry and 8th Missouri Cavalry to Woodruff Co. on April 1, 1864, to disrupt recruiting by Confederate Gen. Dandridge McRae. Marching 12 miles north of Augusta, and almost capturing . . . — Map (db m116188) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Augusta Memorial ParkEstablished about 1850
Much of the history of Augusta lies beneath these grounds. It was the burial ground for the Chickasaws before the first settlers. The earliest extant gravestone is Penelopy Simmons, who operated a hotel in Augusta and died in 1852. First . . . — Map (db m116627) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Augusta Presbyterian Church
The church was organized in 1861, by its first pastor, Rev. S.W. Davies. The foundation was apparently laid in 1861. It was completed in 1871. Woodrow Wilson, as a youth. worshiped here while his brother-in- law, Rev. A.R. Kennedy. was . . . — Map (db m116633) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Chickasaw CrossingRiver Mile 198
Chickasaws and Quapaws crossed the White River here to visit, long before the first settlers. First post office, named Chickasaw Crossing in Feb. 1848, was soon changed to Augusta. Steamboats docked here to deliver goods and left with . . . — Map (db m116629) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — City of AugustaSesquicentennial 1848 - 1998
Thomas Hough founded Augusta in 1848, naming it after his favorite cousin, Miss Augusta Cald, of Virginia. For generations it was known as Chickasaw Crossing. The first settlers came in 1820. It was incorporated in 1861. During the Civil . . . — Map (db m116630) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Woodruff County Courthouse
Noted architect: Charles L. Thompson, Nov 30, 1901 Thomas Hough, founder of Augusta in 1848 built his home on this location before the Civil War. During the Federal occupation Gen. Frederick Steele headquartered here. Woodruff County was . . . — Map (db m116628) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — G-13 — Woodruff County Presbyterian Church
Woodrow Wilson as a youth worshiped in this church while his brother-in-law, Rev. A.R. Kennedy, was pastor. — Map (db m116637) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Cotton Plant — 20 — Action at Cotton Plant
After threatening Little Rock, the Union Army of the Southwest marched east toward Helena. On July 7, 1862, three miles north of here, around 1,000 Confederates of the 12th and 16th Texas Cavalry attacked Union soldiers protecting the main force . . . — Map (db m116250) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Cotton Plant — The Battle of Cache River or Cotton Plant
July 7, 1862, the 11th Wisconsin Infantry of the Federals, commanded by Colonel Hovey, met the Confederate Texas Cavalry commanded by General Rust at Hills Plantation and engaged in a bitter fight. The Battle of Cache River or Cotton Plant is . . . — Map (db m116454) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Hangman's Bridge & Vigilante Justice
On December 18, 1872, Ernst Reusch, a jealous husband shot and killed E.H. Erickson through the window of  Erickson’s Saloon in Silver Mountain City as Erickson played cards. Reusch believed that Erickson had been having an affair with his wife and . . . — Map (db m116094) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — Jacob Markley
On September 12, 1861, Jacob Markley staked out a land claim of 160 acres, a parcel that included this site. Markley erected a 16 by 20 foot log cabin somewhere near this plaque, covering it with shakes made from local Sugar Pine. He also built a . . . — Map (db m116149) HM
California (Alpine County), Markleeville — The Lost Whiskey of Raymond
The Raymond Mining District was in operation from 1863 – 1869. It was located roughly four miles north of Silver Mountain and four miles south-west of Markleeville, along Krumm Creek entering Pleasant Valley. Named for R. W. Raymond, who . . . — Map (db m116092) HM
California (Butte County), Concow — Yankee HillEst. 1856
This is the area of the original historic site of Old Yankee Hill. It was first founded as a gold mining town, having in later years a hotel, general store, Wells Fargo post office, saloon and a winery. Yankee Hill was purchased by the Smiths in . . . — Map (db m116614) HM
California (Kern County), Frazier Park — El Camino Viejo
El Camino Viejo (The Old Highway) began as an inland trail prior to 1800. It was originally a refugee route running between present day San Pedro in Southern California to the East Oakland area in the north. It was used by Indians, trappers, . . . — Map (db m116500) HM
California (Kern County), Ridgecrest — Coso Rock Art DistrictBig and Little Petroglyph Canyon — National Historic Landmark
This District possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States Of America.

The Coso Rock Art District contains the largest concentration of unaltered prehistoric petroglyphs and associated sites in North . . . — Map (db m116049) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 960 — Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
This stadium was originally completed in 1923. It was partially redesigned and enlarged for the 1932 Olympic Games. Both designs were by architects John & Donald B. Parkinson. The Coliseum has witnessed many important sports, political, and . . . — Map (db m116751) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Merced TheatreEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by . . . — Map (db m116748) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico HouseEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m116747) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 655 — Portola Trail
Spanish colonization of California began in 1769 with the expedition of Don Gaspar de Portolá from Mexico. With Captain Don Fernando Rivera v Moncada, Lieutenant Don Pedro Fages, Sgt. José Francisco Ortega, and Fathers Juan Crespí and Francisco . . . — Map (db m115177) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Mission San Fernando Rey de España
1. Historical Museum The museum exhibits a pictorial history of the mission, pottery, santos, trade and commerce items, together with an extensive collection of early mission baskets given by Marie and Mark Harrington. 2. . . . — Map (db m114714)
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Amelia Earhart
First woman aviator to fly the Atlantic Ocean. Lost at sea, 1937 during around-the-world flight. — Map (db m116360) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Portal of the Folded WingsShrine to Aviation
Dedicated To The Honored Dead Of American Aviation On The 50th Anniversary Of Powered Flight, Dec. 17, 1953, By Lt. Gen. Ira C. Eaker USAF (Ret.) - - - - - - - - - - - - Beneath The Memorial tablets in this sacred portal rest the . . . — Map (db m116211) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Rogerio Rocha
Rogerio Rocha was born in 1801, in the village of Mapanga, and was baptized in the San Fernando Mission. Rocha became a well-known blacksmith in California. In Rocha's early years he became the Captain of Mapanga, which is known today as the town of . . . — Map (db m116612) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Bovard - Wilson - Hayes House and Jail
The Victorian house was built in 1887 for Revered George Finley Bovard who later became the fourth President of the University of Southern California. Milton Scott Wilson purchased the house in 1893. He served as Justice of the Peace for the San . . . — Map (db m116134) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — 1039 — Tuna Canyon Detention Station
World War II confinement site. — Map (db m116189) WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Brigantine GalileeThe Smartest Sailing Vessel out of San Francisco
The brigantine Galilee "...has invariably outsailed and outpointed every vessel with which she has ever been in company, and has the reputation of being the smartest sailing vessel out of San Francisco." — The Rudder, . . . — Map (db m116754) HM

729 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 529
Paid Advertisement