Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

508 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 308
 
Fairfield on the Thames / The Fairfield Mission Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael Baker
Fairfield on the Thames / The Fairfield Mission Marker
Ontario (Chatham-Kent Municipality), Thamesville — Fairfield on the Thames / The Fairfield Mission
(Front of monument) Fairfield on the Thames / Fairfield sur la Thames

Here stood the village of Fairfield, destroyed by invading American forces following the Battle of the Thames. , 5th October, 1813. Its inhabitants, Delaware . . . — Map (db m116758) HM

Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — First Autonomous University in Guatemala
Aquí se establecio la Primera Universidad Autonoma de Guatemala y de America Decreto Leg. #985-30 Abril 1918 Homenaje de los Senadores de la J.C.I. de Guatemala 1972 English translation: Here was established the . . . — Map (db m116474) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — General Francisco Morazán
General Francisco Morazán Presidente Republica Federal De Centro América 1829-1834 Tegucigalpa Honduras 3 Octubre 1792 San Jose De Costa Rica 15 Septembre 1842 Gloria a su Ideal Centroamericano Asociación de Damas Hondureñas Residentes . . . — Map (db m116466) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Jocotenango ParkRuta Histórica Ciudad de Guatemala
Parque Jocotenango En sus inicios conocida como “Plaza Jocotenango”, constituyó entre los años 1777 a 1879 el centro social y comercial del Pueblo de Indígenas de Jocotenango de Nuestro Señora de la Asunción. La plaza . . . — Map (db m116604) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — José Martí
José Martí Al pueblo de Guatemala ofrenda del Ramon Grau San Martin Presidente de la República de Cuba Homenaje de la respetable logia “Jose Marti” 20 de octubre 1977 English translation: José Martí . . . — Map (db m116660) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — The Guatemalan Peace Accords
Los acuerdos de Paz se suscribieron en un instante, pero su contenido encierra una visión de lo que nos pasó, de lo que somos y de lo que queremos lograr. Guatemaltecos, la Paz firmada en 1996 es nuestra. ¡Cuidémosla! Álvaro Arzú . . . — Map (db m116606) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala City (Municipalidad de Guatemala) — Yurrita House
Casa Yurrita Tipo: Arquitectura Residencial Construcción: 1910 Estilo: Historicista Esta casa debe su nombre a Don Felipe Yurrita quien mandó a edificarla según su gusto. Fue inaugurada en 1910 y funcionó como residencia de la . . . — Map (db m116482) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipalidad de San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Mesón de la Virgen(The Hostel of the Virgin) — San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, México
Mesón de la Virgen Hoy Escuela Rita Peréz de Moreno Por orden del Pbro. Bachiller Don Vicente Cuellar y González en el año de 1769, se inició la construcción del Mesón de la Virgen con el fin de hospedar en él a los viajeros y . . . — Map (db m116661) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipalidad de San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Temple of the Third OrderSan Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, México
Templo de la Tercera Orden Pequeño Templo construido en la segunda mitad del siglo XVII, de una nave con cruceros. Su fachada es sencilla al estilo franciscano; el ingreso con un arco de medio punto, ventana coral y en uno de los . . . — Map (db m116663) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Guadalajara), Guadalajara — The Convent of Saint Mary of Grace
El Convento de Sta. Maria de Gracia fundado en 1588, tuvo aquí su casa, templo y huerta a partir del año de 1590. Instituto Jalisciense de Antropología e Historia H. Ayuntamiento 1968-1969 I.N.A.H. . . . — Map (db m116833) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Guadalajara), Guadalajara — The Justice BuildingPalacio de Justicia
Palacio de Justicia Este recinto que se construyó a finales del siglo XIX para albergar el Liceo de Señoritas fue parte del Convento de Santa María de Gracia desde 1588; en 1952 se adecuó para ser la sede del Supremo Tribunal de . . . — Map (db m116834) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — Alfredo R. Placencia
Del pueblo de Jalostotitlán al Sacerdote y poeta Alfredo R. Placencia 15 de septiembre 1875 Jalostotitlán 20 de mayo 1930 Guadalajara Gran poeta de nuestra tierra Ayuntamiento de Jalostotitlán Octubre 2013 English . . . — Map (db m116669) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — Pope John Paul II's Visit to Jalostotitlán
Homenaje del pueblo de Jalostotitlán a Su Santidad el Papa Juan Pablo II por su visita a nuestra diocesis el 8 de mayo de 1990 Jalostotitlan, Jal. 15 de agosto de 1999 English translation: A tribute from the people . . . — Map (db m116674) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — The Archaeological Zone of Teocaltitán
Zona Arqueológica “Teocaltitán”El complejo arqueológico Teocaltitán está ubicado en la comunidad del mismo nombre, en el municipio de Jalostotitlán. Es un centro ceremonial del Clásico tardío/Epiclásico que perteneció a la . . . — Map (db m116677) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — The Virgin of the Assumption
La Virgen de la AsunciónLa patrona inmemorial de Jalostotitlán tiene un origen desconocido hasta ahora, pues no se han encontrado documentos que afirmen de donde proviene la imagen, ni la fecha en que llegó a la parroquia, sea cual . . . — Map (db m116675) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de Lagos), San Juan de Lagos — Pope John Paul II's Visit to San Juan de Lagos
Homenaje de gratitud que San Juan de los Lagos dedica al “Peregrino de Paz” S.S. Juan Pablo II en el vigésimo aniversario de su visita a esta “tierra de mártires” 1990 – 8 de mayo - 2010 Excmo. Sr. Ob. D . . . — Map (db m116832) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Chapel of the First Miracle
Capilla del Primer Milagro Aquí por los años de mil quinientos treinta se construyó la primer ermita, donde estuviera en el incognito la imagen de la virgin de San Juan, aquí donde emergió con prodigio en 1623 en el llamado primer . . . — Map (db m116664) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Sanctuary of Saint Pedro Esqueda
Santuario de San Pedro Esqueda Templo de San Pedro Esqueda. La importancia de este templo es ser el santuario de San Pedro Esqueda Santo mártir de la persecución religiosa. Aquí yacen sus restos mortales en la urna de mármol, y bajo . . . — Map (db m116668) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — The Temple of the Blood of Christ
Sangre de Cristo Se construyo este templo a extramuros y fue que en su entorno se formo un barrio tal, que luego caracterizo un estilo que dio un perfil de ciudadanos con su propia micro cultura en la ya de por si singular ciudad de . . . — Map (db m116666) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Henry Hudson
From this ancient "Tower of Tears" erected 1482 A.D. Henry Hudson set sail April 4th.'1609 A.D. on the vessel "Half Moon" on that voyage of discovery destined to bring him to the harbor of New York and the Hudson River . . . — Map (db m116691) HM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Choc Bay War Cemetery
Choc Bay War Cemetery Commonwealth War Grave The men in whose memory this group of headstones has been set up gave their lives in the service of their country and were buried in this cemetery — Map (db m116638) WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Jean Baptiste Bideau
Jean Baptiste Bideau c. 1770-1817 Born at Desruisseaux in Saint Lucia A sea captain who dedicated his life to freedom and heroically saved the life of Simon Bolivar — Map (db m116642) HM WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Simon Bolivar
. . . — Map (db m116646) HM WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Sir John George Melvin Compton
The Right Honourable Sir John George Melvin Compton Saint Lucia’s First Primer Minister & Champion of Caribbean Integration 1925-2007 — Map (db m116692) HM
Saint Lucia, Castries — The “Cannon” at Walcott Place
The “Cannon” at Walcott PlaceReclaiming our history…. The intersections of Chaussee Rd., Chisel St. and Mary-Ann St form this tiny rectangular "island" green. For many years, this place has been known as the "Cannon." One . . . — Map (db m116647) HM
Saint Lucia, Gros Islet — The Bells of Gros Islet
This stone was laid by his Grace Archbishop Kelvin Felix D.D. 16th December 1993, to commemorate the centenary of the blessing of these bells by Archbishop Flood. In faith and celebration this new belfry was built by the community with support . . . — Map (db m116718) HM
Saint Lucia, Gros Islet, Pigeon Island — Cooperage
Cooperage 1778 In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries British warships, transports and supply ships came and went in Gros Islet Bay and were refitted and resupplied at Pigeon Island. Barrels were the containers of the day. . . . — Map (db m116717) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — City of London School for Girls
Site of the City of London School for Girls founded by William Ward 1894-1969 — Map (db m116573) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Coachmakers' Hall
Site of the Coachmakers' Hall 1703-1940 — Map (db m116544) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — John Bray's House
Adjoining this site stood the house of John Bray Scene of Charles Wesley's Evangelical Conversion May 21st 1738 — Map (db m116542) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — John Milton
The Poet and Statesman John Milton was born 1608 in Bread Street — Map (db m116489) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Marian MartyrsThe Noble Army of Martyrs Praise Thee!
Within a few feet of this spot, John Rogers, John Bradford, John Philpot, and other servants of God, suffered death by fire for the faith of Christ, in the years 1555, 1556, 1557. — Map (db m116782) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Mitre Tavern
Site of The Mitre TavernMap (db m116405) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Bull and Mouth Inn
Site of the Bull and Mouth Inn Demolished 1888 — Map (db m116785) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Daily Courant
In a house near this site was published in 1702 The Daily Courant first London daily newspaper. — Map (db m116510) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Tipperary
The pub was built on the side of a monastery which dated to 1300 where, amongst other duties, the monks brewed ale. This site was an island between the River Thames and River Fleet which still runs under the pub that is now little more than a . . . — Map (db m116403) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Upholders' Hall
Site of Upholders' Hall Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 — Map (db m116406) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Edmund Burke
Author and Statesman, ———————— lived here. ———————— B • 1729. D • 1797. — Map (db m116776) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Eisenhower's D-Day Headquarters
The United States of America recognizes the selfless service and manifold contributions of General Dwight David Eisenhower, Supreme Allied Commander, 1944-1945. At this site, General Eisenhower, on behalf of freedom loving peoples throughout the . . . — Map (db m116814) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Former Wardour Street Clubs
This is the Former site of the....

1960s - Flamingo Club Where Georgie Fame recorded "Night Train"

1970s - Whiskey-A-Go-Go Where James Brown and Kool & the Gang played

1980s and 90s - The Wag Club In . . . — Map (db m116768) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Frederick Winsor1763-1830
Gave the world's first demonstration of street lighting by coal gas, from a retort located here June 1807 — Map (db m116810) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Dryden
Poet. Lived here. B. 1631. D. 1700. — Map (db m116332) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Palmerston1784-1865
Prime Minister Born here — Map (db m116546) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Mont Blanc Restaurant
Site of the Mont Blanc Restaurant where leading writers, including Belloc, Chesterton, Conrad and Galsworthy met regularly in the early years of the 20th century. — Map (db m116773) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Norfolk House(Operations Torch and Overlord Headquarters)
In this buiding 24 June 1942 - 8 November 1942 General of the Army Dwight D Eisenhower Supreme Allied Commander formed the first Allied force headquarters and in conjunction with the commanders of the fighting services of the Allied nations and . . . — Map (db m116820) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Alexander Herzen
Alexander HERZEN 1812-1870 operated the Free Russian Press from this building 1854-1856 — Map (db m116778) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Andres Bello1781 - 1865
Poet, Jurist, Philologist and Venezuelan Patriot lived here in 1810 — Map (db m116610) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Augustus Siebe1788 - 1872
Pioneer of the Diving Helmet lived and worked here — Map (db m116806) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Christina Georgina Rossetti
Here lived and died Christina Georgina Rossetti Poetess Born 1830:Died 1894 — Map (db m116450) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dorothy L. Sayers1893 - 1957
Writer of Detective Stories lived here 1921-1929 — Map (db m116499) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dorothy Richardson1873-1957
Writer lived here 1905-1906 — Map (db m116497) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Francisco de Miranda1750 - 1816
Lived in this house between 1803 And 1810. Born In Caracas, Venezuela, he was whe forerunner of the independence of the republics of Latin America. Here he met in 1810 The Liberator Simon Bolivar.

Vivio en esta casa . . . — Map (db m116575) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Francisco de Miranda1750 - 1816
Precursor of Latin American Independence lived here 1802-1810 — Map (db m116626) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — John Maynard Keynes1883 - 1946
Economist lived here 1916-1946 — Map (db m116762) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Mary Anne Clarke1776 - 1852
Mistress of Prince Frederick Duke of York lived in a house on this site 1803 — Map (db m116498) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Professor Sir Christopher IngoldNational Chemical Landmark
Chemistry Department University College London

During the period 1930-1970 Professor Sir Christopher Ingold pioneered our understanding of the electronic basis of structure, mechanism and reactivity in organic chemistry, which . . . — Map (db m116440) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Robert Travers Herford1860 - 1950
Unitarian Minister Scholar and Interpreter of Judaism lived and worked here — Map (db m116484) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Tin Pan Alley
This street was

Tin Pan Alley 1911-1992

Home of the British Publishers and Songwriters and their meeting place The Giaconda — Map (db m116799) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Wing Commander Yeo-Thomas
Wing Commander F.F.E. Yeo-Thomas GC 1902-1964 Secret Agent codename 'The White Rabbit' lived here — Map (db m116333) HM
Alabama, Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Award of Air Force Cross to Keary J.Miller
Citation to Accompany the Award of The Air Force Cross to Keary J.Miller Technical Sergeant Keary J. Miller distinguished himself by gallantry in connection with military operations against an opposing armed force near . . . — Map (db m116584) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Fort Mims And The Creek Indian War, 1813-14
Front: In 1813, people on the United State’s southwestern frontier were fearful. The Redstick faction of the Creek Indian Nation opposed growing American influence in the area and had voted for war. However, Creeks living in the Tensaw . . . — Map (db m116678) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Cedar Bluff — Gen. John B. Hood Headquarters
Gen. Hood, commanding the Dept. of Tennessee and Georgia for the Confederate Army, made his headquarters in this house on Oct. 19, 1864 on his retreat from Atlanta to Tennessee via Gadsden. His army numbered approximately 40,000 troops. — Map (db m116615) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Sand Rock — Sand Rock
The town was named for the characteristics of local rocks. A post office was established in 1855 and closed in 1903. The Sand Rock High School Wildcats won the Class 1A football championship in 1985 and the Class 2A State softball championship in . . . — Map (db m116616) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — H-12 — Craighead County Court House
The site of Jonesboro was laid off as the county seat of Craighead County in 1859, and there was erected soon afterwards the first court house in the county. — Map (db m116609) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — In Memoriam United Spanish War Veterans1898
{Title is text}Map (db m116621) WM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — The Arkansas
This is the 16,000 pound anchor off the bow of the nuclear powered guided missile cruiser USS Arkansas, CGN-41. This anchor was placed here in grateful memory of those who served aboard her. Four ships of the United States Navy and one of the . . . — Map (db m116687) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 1 — The Battle of Jonesboro
The Battle of Jonesboro took place at the Craighead County Court House in Jonesboro, Arkansas, on August 2, 1862. Company I, 30th Arkansas Infantry of the Fifth Trans-Mississippi Confederate army, under the command of Captain Mitchel A. Adair, . . . — Map (db m116608) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Confederate Soldier's Memorial1861     1865
In memory of Crittenden County's Confederate soldiers — Map (db m116361) WM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Confederate Soldier's MemorialErected 1936 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
This granite marker on the south lawn was erected by Crittenden County United Daughters of the Confederacy, and dedicated October 4, 1936, as a memorial to those who served with Confederate military during the War Between the States. The magnolia . . . — Map (db m116781) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden Bank & Trust CompanyErected 1919 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
The Crittenden Bank & Trust, the town’s third bank, began operation January 9, 1909, replacing the Bank of Marion which had failed in 1908. Three other short-lived banks were housed in this building. The last banking operation here was that of . . . — Map (db m116727) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden County Health DepartmentErected 1938 Annex 1943 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
The Health Department, dedicated May 4, 1938, was built with funds by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). When additional space was needed, the Crittenden County Negro Business Men's League, led by George Walker, Jr. and John Gammon, . . . — Map (db m116780) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Margaret E. Woolfolk LibraryErected 2001 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
Woolfolk is author of The History of Marion and History of Crittenden County, an award-winning newspaper editor, graduated from Memphis State Law School in 1985 at the age of 68, entered into private practice, and served as Marion . . . — Map (db m116783) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion HotelErected 1911 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
Designed and built by Major Moore for Thomas Koser, the building was completed December of 1911. The building, which is constructed of native hardwoods, brick and concrete, had pressed tin ceilings and hardwood floors. The hotel had its own water . . . — Map (db m116726) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School Auditorium-GynamnasiumErected 1938 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
When classrooms were carved out of the second floor auditorium space in the first high school. Marion students and the entire community used a tabernacle built in 1924 on the south side of the high school for events requiring an auditorium. When the . . . — Map (db m116777) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion School DistrictEstablished 1869 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
May 10, 1869, a petition was submitted the county court for established of School District No. One the Marion district. The formation of the district was approved by the circuit superintendent of public schools. The school operated by the original . . . — Map (db m116779) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Military Road
First Highway constructed in Arkansas, Hopefield to Little Rock, extended to Fort Smith and into Indian Territory, (Oklahoma). Built by the United States under supervision of the Quartermasters Department of the United States Army. Survey was . . . — Map (db m116549) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Rhodes StorefrontsCirca 1925 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
One of the city's biggest fires occurred in the early 1900's when a series of businesses in frame buildings on the east side of Court Street were destroyed by fire. Volunteer firefighters brought water from Harvard yards by train to help . . . — Map (db m116545) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — 62 — The Sultana Tragedy
On April 27, 1865, the steamboat Sultana exploded on the Mississippi River. She was heading north, dangerously overloaded with some 2,200 passengers, most of them freed Union prisoners of war from the Andersonville and Cahaba camps. A . . . — Map (db m116352) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — The Loss of the Sultana
Early on April 27, 1865, the overcrowded steamboat Sultana exploded on the Mississippi River near Marion, Arkansas. The vast majority of the Sultana's passengers, believed to number over 2000, were Federal soldiers, recently released . . . — Map (db m116356) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Parkin — Mississippian Garden — Parkin Archaeological State Park
The legacy of the Mississippian culture lives forever through the Three Sisters Garden, like the one you see planted here. The American Indians who lived here over 500 years ago were expert farmers whose most important crops were corn, beans, . . . — Map (db m116605) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hiram Abiff Whittington1805-1890
Front of Obelisk Born in Boston, Mass., came to Arkansas in 1826 to be printer for the Arkansas Gazette. In 1882 he moved to Hot Springs and in a two room log cabin established a general store, post office and lending library. He served as . . . — Map (db m116351) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Lefty Grove
From humble beginnings in Maryland's coal region, Robert "Left" Grove became baseball's greatest left-handed pitcher. Using his blazing fastball and fiery temperament, he won 300 Major League games (31 in 1931) and 108 International League games. In . . . — Map (db m116503) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — National Baptist Hotel
Built in 1923 as the Woodmen of the Union Building, this hotel, bathhouse, and performance venue quickly became the center of African American culture in Hots Springs. It housed virtually every great Negro League player and entertainer who visited . . . — Map (db m116147) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Jackson County CourthouseBuilt 1869 - 72
. . . — Map (db m116611) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Newport — G-3 — Jackson County First Court House
The first court house in Jackson County, created in 1832, was located at Litchfield, where it remained until 1839, when it was moved to Elizabeth. In 1852 Augusta (now Woodruff County) was made the county seat and two years later it was moved to . . . — Map (db m116624) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Austin
In 1828 the town of Oakland Grove was founded. By 1861 the name had been changed to Austin, according to a false local legend the once thriving town of over 30 residences was almost selected as the state capitol beginning in 1858 the town was a . . . — Map (db m116644) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Oakland Grove (Old Austin)Short Cut to Indian Territory 1832-1838 — Trail of Tears Through Arkansas
In 1807, citizens of Crystal Hill built a road to connect Cadron and Arkansas Post. From Cadron the road was built almost due east and continued until they reached the Wattensaw. At the Wattensaw swamps they found an Indian path that led south to . . . — Map (db m116694) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Battle of Brownsville
On August 25, 1863 U.S. and Confederate Cavalry clashed near here. The initial battle involving approximately 7,000 men occurred east of the town. After a brief artillery duel, Col. Geiger's US troopers forced the retreat of Gen. Marmaduke's CS . . . — Map (db m116458) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — 1 — The Little Rock Campaign - BrownsvilleConfederates Fight to Stop Union Advance
On the morning of August 25, 1863, at Bayou Two Prairie (east of where you are standing), Confederate Brigadier General John Marmaduke's troops skirmished with advance elements of Union forces under Brigadier General John Davidson. Marmaduke's . . . — Map (db m116392) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Union Army Marches Into Helena — A Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
On July 12, 1862, the Union army occupied Helena. Over two thousand fugitive slaves seeking the army's protection followed. For two days, the long line of soldiers and freedom seekers filed into Helena. Curtis Marches toward Helena Most . . . — Map (db m116437) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Baucum — 4 — The Little Rock Campaign - River CrossingUnion Troops Cross Arkansas River to Capture Little Rock
North of where you are standing, Union troops on September 10, 1863, constructed a wooden pontoon bridge across the Arkansas River allowing Union Brigadier General John W. Davidson's cavalry division to proceed to Little Rock. Major General . . . — Map (db m116523) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — A Gallant ChargeThe First Iowa Cavalry Charges Burning Reed's Bridge
As Gen. John Davidson saw flames erupting from the only bridge across Bayou Meto, he ordered Lt. Col. Daniel Anderson to take his First Iowa Cavalry Regiment and save the bridge, if possible. Anderson and his men thundered down the Memphis to Little . . . — Map (db m116543) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Brother Against BrotherUnion and Confederate Missourians Fight at Bayou Meto
Missouri, a border state, never seceded from the Union but her people were nevertheless divided and tens of thousands of Missourians wore both blue and gray between 1861 and 1865. Missouri is credited with supplying 109,111 men to Union forces, of . . . — Map (db m116715) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Like Sorrow's Veil...The Confederates Burn Reed's Bridge Over Bayou Meto
Bayou Meto, "a steep-banked and miry stream," provided a natural barrier and defensive position for the Confederates on August 27, 1863. The primary means of crossing the bayou was Reed's Bridge on the Memphis to Little Rock Road. As the . . . — Map (db m116538) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Brigade Moved ForwardThe Opening Movements of the Battle of Reed's Bridge
The first action of the Battle of Reed's Bridge occurred east of where you are standing when 125 Missouri Confederates opened fire on Brigadier General John Wynn Davidson's Union cavalry division at about 11 a.m. on August 27, 1863. The . . . — Map (db m116603) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Memphis to Little Rock RailroadSamson Gray Helps Link the State Capital with the Mississippi
One of the largest public works projects to take place in territorial Arkansas was construction of the Memphis to Little Rock Road, an ambitious effort to allow travelers to cross the dense swamps and Grand Prairie of east Arkansas to . . . — Map (db m116571) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Thunder on Bayou MetoConfederate Artillery in the Battle for Reed's Bridge
As Reed's Bridge burned and Confederate artillery broke up the charge of the First Iowa Cavalry Regiment, Union artillery opened fire on Brigadier General John S. Marmaduke at his position near Lt. Charlie Bell's "little teaser" prairie gun. . . . — Map (db m116569) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Battle of Reed's Bridge
On August 27, 1863 the Federal army was advancing along the Military Road toward Little Rock when its Cavalry Division of 6,000 men under Gen. John W. Davidson attempted a crossing here and was met by a Confederate force of 4,000 under Gen. John S. . . . — Map (db m116508) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Bayou Meto Historic Site
In 1845 the Russell Beall family donated land for Bayou Meto Cemetery. Soon afterward a two story log building was erected in a grove of oaks. Known as Bayou Meto Chapel. the structure served as church, public school and meeting place for . . . — Map (db m116645) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 85 — Bayou Metre Hornets
The 4th Arkansas Infantry Battalion (C.S.) enlisted at Little Rock on Nov. 10, 1861. It included Capt. T.F. Murff’s Co. A, the ‘Bayou Metre Hornets,’ which had received a flag at an Oct. 18 barbecue at modern-day Jacksonville. The regiment fought at . . . — Map (db m116350) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 135 — Confederates at Bayou Meto
Following their defeat at the July 4, 1863, Battle of Helena, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price’s infantry division fell back to Des Arc and Searcy. Price assumed command of the Confederate army in Arkansas on July 23 and Gen. James Fagan took over . . . — Map (db m116472) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Memphis Military Road
Construction of this earliest road connecting Memphis with Little Rock began in 1826 under the supervision of Lt. Frederick L. Griffith, U.S. Army. It was completed in 1828 under Lt. Charles Thomas. Miles of swamps and numerous streams made the road . . . — Map (db m116509) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Shared Gray     Jacob Gray1758-1836     1762-1837
Revolutionary War soldiers and brothers, Shared fought for North Carolina and Jacob fought for both North and South Carolina. In the winter of 1820-1821 they brought their families here from Williamson County, Tennessee and settled near this site. — Map (db m116507) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 2 — The Little Rock Campaign - Reed's BridgeConfederates Stop Union Advance
Looking northwest fifty yards to your left, the old military road crossed Bayou Meto over Reed's Bridge. Confederate troops fell back to this location from the August 25, 1863, Brownsville skirmish to establish a strong position to stop the Union . . . — Map (db m116516) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Trail of Tears through JacksonvilleTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"The route which the Choctaws and Chickasaws will travel, in emigrating to their new homes, is not yet, we believe, fully determined on; but it is quite probable that a large proportion of them will cross the Mississippi at Helena, and White . . . — Map (db m116572) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — They Passed This WayTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"Long time we travel on way to new land.... Womens cry.... Children cry and men cry...but they say nothing and just put heads down and keep on go towards West. Many days pass and people die very much." -Recollection of a . . . — Map (db m116602) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — A Piece of the Rock, a Piece of HistoryLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
The Little Rock was not always as it is now. To support the Junction Bridge and ensure an adequate channel for river traffic, much of the Rock was removed in 1872 and 1884. No one knows how the Point of Rocks looked before progress took its . . . — Map (db m116557) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Battle of Little Rock
In this vicinity, on September 10, 1863, an invading Federal column under Gen'l Frederick Steele defeated Confederate forces under Gen'l John Marmaduke in the Battle of Little Rock — Map (db m116460) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Douglas MacArthur
World War I 1917-1918 West Point Graduate 1903 Rainbow Division Chief of Staff August 1917, Colonel 84th Brigade 42nd Rainbow Division August 1918, Commander Rainbow Division Commander November 1918, Brigadier General West Point . . . — Map (db m116366) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Engagement at Bayou FourcheSeptember 10, 1863
U.S.A. 10th Illinois Cavalry 1st Iowa Cavalry 2nd Missouri Cavalry 3rd Missouri Cavalry 7th Missouri Cavalry 8th Missouri Cavalry Vaughan's Ilinois Artillery Battery 2nd Missouri Light Artillery (Battery "K" and . . . — Map (db m116463) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — It is River CityLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
In the early days of Little Rock, the Arkansas River was the lifeblood of the community. The Little Rock extended out into the river, pulling the current around it to form a natural landing basin for boats. The earliest ferry across the . . . — Map (db m116539) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — One Old RockLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
La Petite Roche ("the Little Rock") refers to the rock outcropping on the Arkansas River used as a navigation point during the early exploration of what would become the state of Arkansas. Sometimes called the Point of Rocks, it is the first . . . — Map (db m116556) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Roosevelt Visits Little Rock
On October 25, 1905, Theodore Roosevelt became only the second sitting president to visit our state. His visit was a key stop on a southern tour following the election of 1904 in which he was elected easily but failed to win any states of the former . . . — Map (db m116375) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Smaller Rock, Big BridgeLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
Post-Civil War, railroads became vital to the Arkansas economy. Point of Rocks was a natural support for a railroad bridge on the river. In October 1872, construction began at the Little Rock with several tons of rock removed from the . . . — Map (db m116541) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The Big Rock and the Little RockLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
Jean-Baptiste Bénard de La Harpe was the first European explorer to record the existence of a large rocky bluff on the north bank of the Arkansas River. According to his journal, La Harpe named it le Rocher Français ("the French Rock") on . . . — Map (db m116558) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The First Human Dissection in Arkansas
Front The first human dissection in Arkansas was made on this spot in November 1874 by James H. Lenow M.D. Little Rock and Richard S. Vickery M.D. U.S. Army Rear Erected by the Arkansas Medical Society to perpetuate the . . . — Map (db m116362) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 5 — The Little Rock Campaign - Bayou FourcheThe Battle Before The Fall Of Little Rock
Looking northeast to your right about 300 yards downstream, you can see the area of the primary fighting of the Battle of Bayou Fourche. Fighting began about noon on Wednesday, September 10, 1863, after Union Brigadier General John Davidson's troops . . . — Map (db m116532) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 6 — The Little Rock Campaign - Riverfront ParkLittle Rock Falls
Early in August of 1863 the Union Army began a march from Helena to Little Rock. Confederate troops, commanded by Major General Sterling Price, waited to defend the city primarily from the ridge north of the Arkansas River. But Federal forces . . . — Map (db m116536) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Witness to RemovalLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
In 1818, the U.S. policy on Indian Removal restricted the Quapaw to a reservation in Arkansas. The western boundary, or Quapaw Line, began at "the Little Rock." This was perhaps the first official use of the name Little Rock. In 1824, a new . . . — Map (db m116565) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), North Little Rock — Marmaduke-Walker Duel
As Union forces advanced to capture Little Rock during the Civil War, the last duel in Arkansas was fought near this spot in an open grove of heavy timber between Confederate Generals John Sappington Marmaduke and Lucius Marshall Walker at . . . — Map (db m116382) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Scott — 3 — The Little Rock Campaign - Ashley's MillsConfederates and Union Forces Skirmish
You are standing in the vicinity of where Confederate forces camped on Monday, September 7, 1863, when Union forces under Major General Frederick Steele advancing from Brownsville engaged the brigade of Colonel Robert C. Newton, C.S.A., driving his . . . — Map (db m116519) HM
Arkansas (White County), Gum Springs — 32 — Action at Des Arc Bayou
On July 8, 1864, a column of 221 men of the 10th Illinois Cavalry headed for Searcy to confront Gen. J.O. Shelbys Confederates, who were operating in the area. They set up camp at Des Arc Bayou on July 13. At 4:30 a.m. July 14, around 500 men under . . . — Map (db m116328) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — Spanish Land Grant to John Fayac
. . . — Map (db m116648) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — White County Confederate Monument1861 - 1865 — CSA
Erected to the memory of the Confederate Soldiers of White County by Public Conscription 1917. — Map (db m116708) WM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — F-13 — White County Court House
In 1837, two years after the creation of White County, the site of the town of Searcy was laid off as the permanent seat of justice of the county. — Map (db m116701) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — White County Vietnam Memorial
Dedicated to those who made the supreme sacrifice, and in honor of all the men and women who served their country in a time of need. Killed in Action Dean, Lawrence C. Latimer, Wilbur D. Marsh, Clark L. Solomon, Douglas E. . . . — Map (db m116707) WM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — "It Was a Hard Little Fight"The Battle of Fitzhugh's Woods, April 1st, 1864
As Maj. Gen. Frederick Steele's Union army marched into southwest Arkansas in the spring of 1864, Col. C.C. Andrews was ordered to lead an expedition to Woodruff County. The column's orders were to keep Brig. Gen. Dandridge McRae from recruiting . . . — Map (db m116643) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Augusta Memorial ParkEstablished about 1850
Much of the history of Augusta lies beneath these grounds. It was the burial ground for the Chickasaws before the first settlers. The earliest extant gravestone is Penelopy Simmons, who operated a hotel in Augusta and died in 1852. First . . . — Map (db m116627) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Augusta Presbyterian Church
The church was organized in 1861, by its first pastor, Rev. S.W. Davies. The foundation was apparently laid in 1861. It was completed in 1871. Woodrow Wilson, as a youth. worshiped here while his brother-in- law, Rev. A.R. Kennedy. was . . . — Map (db m116633) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Chickasaw CrossingRiver Mile 198
Chickasaws and Quapaws crossed the White River here to visit, long before the first settlers. First post office, named Chickasaw Crossing in Feb. 1848, was soon changed to Augusta. Steamboats docked here to deliver goods and left with . . . — Map (db m116629) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — City of AugustaSesquicentennial 1848 - 1998
Thomas Hough founded Augusta in 1848, naming it after his favorite cousin, Miss Augusta Cald, of Virginia. For generations it was known as Chickasaw Crossing. The first settlers came in 1820. It was incorporated in 1861. During the Civil . . . — Map (db m116630) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Woodruff County Courthouse
Noted architect: Charles L. Thompson, Nov 30, 1901 Thomas Hough, founder of Augusta in 1848 built his home on this location before the Civil War. During the Federal occupation Gen. Frederick Steele headquartered here. Woodruff County was . . . — Map (db m116628) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — G-13 — Woodruff County Presbyterian Church
Woodrow Wilson as a youth worshiped in this church while his brother-in-law, Rev. A.R. Kennedy, was pastor. — Map (db m116637) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Cotton Plant — The Battle of Cache River or Cotton Plant
July 7, 1862, the 11th Wisconsin Infantry of the Federals, commanded by Colonel Hovey, met the Confederate Texas Cavalry commanded by General Rust at Hills Plantation and engaged in a bitter fight. The Battle of Cache River or Cotton Plant is . . . — Map (db m116454) HM
California (Butte County), Concow — Yankee HillEst. 1856
This is the area of the original historic site of Old Yankee Hill. It was first founded as a gold mining town, having in later years a hotel, general store, Wells Fargo post office, saloon and a winery. Yankee Hill was purchased by the Smiths in . . . — Map (db m116614) HM
California (Kern County), Frazier Park — El Camino Viejo
El Camino Viejo (The Old Highway) began as an inland trail prior to 1800. It was originally a refugee route running between present day San Pedro in Southern California to the East Oakland area in the north. It was used by Indians, trappers, . . . — Map (db m116500) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 960 — Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
This stadium was originally completed in 1923. It was partially redesigned and enlarged for the 1932 Olympic Games. Both designs were by architects John & Donald B. Parkinson. The Coliseum has witnessed many important sports, political, and . . . — Map (db m116751) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Merced TheatreEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by . . . — Map (db m116748) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico HouseEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m116747) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Mission San Fernando Rey de España
1. Historical Museum The museum exhibits a pictorial history of the mission, pottery, santos, trade and commerce items, together with an extensive collection of early mission baskets given by Marie and Mark Harrington. 2. . . . — Map (db m114714)
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Amelia Earhart
First woman aviator to fly the Atlantic Ocean. Lost at sea, 1937 during around-the-world flight. — Map (db m116360) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Villa Francesca
This plaque identifies the estate of Harry E. Benedict (1890-1977). Mr. Benedict, an associate of Frank A. Vanderlip, the initial developer of 16,000 acres of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, completed the gatehouse and the farmstead in 1930. The name . . . — Map (db m116802) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Rogerio Rocha
Rogerio Rocha was born in 1801, in the village of Mapanga, and was baptized in the San Fernando Mission. Rocha became a well-known blacksmith in California. In Rocha's early years he became the Captain of Mapanga, which is known today as the town of . . . — Map (db m116612) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — 1039 — Tuna Canyon Detention Station
World War II confinement site. — Map (db m116189) WM
California (Mendocino County), Albion — Captain Fletcher and the Navarro InnNavarro River Redwoods State Park - National Register of Historic Places
Before 1850 Before European settlement, the Pomo peoples occupied much of the North Coast of California. The Navarro River formed the boundary between the Northern and Central Pomo. Navarro Beach was seasonally occupied as a place to . . . — Map (db m116795) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Brigantine GalileeThe Smartest Sailing Vessel out of San Francisco
The brigantine Galilee "...has invariably outsailed and outpointed every vessel with which she has ever been in company, and has the reputation of being the smartest sailing vessel out of San Francisco." — The Rudder, . . . — Map (db m116754) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Indian OccupiersThis Land is My Land
"Alcatraz is not an island, it's an idea. The idea that you can recapture and be in control of your life, your destiny, and self-determine your future." -- Richard Oakes, Spokesperson for the Occupation

Pursuing an Ideal

In . . . — Map (db m116514) HM

California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Cold Springs Tavern
In 1868 this tavern was known as "Cold Springs Relay Station". It was the half way stop between "Mattei's Tavern" to the north, and Patrick Kinevan's "Summit House" to the south. In those days sturdy stagecoaches know as "mudwagons" traveled . . . — Map (db m116787) HM
Colorado (Chaffee County), Salida — Finding Our Roots / New Faces Along the River / Pike Explores the Valley
Marker A:Finding Our Roots Following ancient paths The history of Chaffee County as part of the United States began in 1803, with the purchase of the Louisiana Territory from France. But human history was established here . . . — Map (db m116085) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — Cristoforo Colombo
Cristoforo Colombo 1451 — 1506 Discoverer of America October 12, 1492 — Map (db m116380) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — Fortified House Of Ensign Stanley
In This Vicinity Stood The Fortified House of Ensign Stanley Into Which the Colonists Fled From Unfriendly Indians 1700. The Clark Tavern Which Was Repeatedly Occupied By Detachments of Revolutionary War Soldiers And The Academy, . . . — Map (db m116383) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), Waterbury — Present Settlement of Waterbury
The present settlement of Waterbury was made on land in this region. The original settlement known as Town Plot was abandoned during King Philip’s War and the town site was moved to this location in 1677. The Mattatuck Historical . . . — Map (db m116385) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — 1801 F Street
1801 F Street Site of residences of Chief Justice John Marshall Chief Justice Melville Fuller Associate Justice Joseph Story Plaque erected under auspices of The Columbia Historical Society and The Bar Association of The . . . — Map (db m116596) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Palisades — Original Federal Boundary Stone NW 4
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed • 1791 • 1792 Protected by Columbia Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution July 12, 1915 — Map (db m116053) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — Founders Library and Moorland-Spingarn Research CenterAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
500 Howard Place, NW Howard University Campus Founders Library houses wide-ranging collections, the university's museum, and the Moorland-Spingarn Research Center, one of the world's largest repositories dedicated to the culture and . . . — Map (db m116653) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Remembering "the Village"Midcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
Two churches on Eighth Street, the Greek Orthodox Saint Sophia's and the Syrian-Greek Orthodox St. George's once anchored a thriving community here known fondly as "the Village." Homes and businesses of European-immigrant and native-born white . . . — Map (db m116652) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Roots of Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox CathedralMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
In 1904 members of Washington, DC's "Greek Colony" — mostly recently arrived immigrant men — held the city's first Greek Orthodox church service above a warehouse on Indiana Avenue near Seventh Street, NW. In the years that followed, . . . — Map (db m116651) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Milford School Bell
Dedicated November 13, 1989 as an enduring symbol of The United States Department of Education's goal to educate every American to His or her fullest potential George Herbert Walker Bush, President of the United States of America Lauro . . . — Map (db m115930) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Project Mercury MemorialSpace View Park
Mercury Project Initiated in 1958, completed in 1963. Project Mercury was United States’ first man-in-space program. Over 2,000,000 people from many government agencies and aerospace corporations combining their skills and experiences into the . . . — Map (db m116582) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Marineland — MarinelandOf Florida
Founded in 1937 as Marine Studios The World’s First Oceanarium. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places April 14, 1986 by the Keeper of the National Register, United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m116297) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — Veterans MemorialV.F.W Post 8696
This Memorial Is Dedicated To Those Veterans Who In Time Of National Need Have Faithfully Served Their Country And To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice. — Map (db m116585) WM
Florida (Franklin County), Sumatra — F-159 — Fort Gadsden
Side A Built in 1814 by Lieutenant Colonel Edward Nichols, His Majesty's Marines, as a rallying point to encourage the Seminole Indians to ally themselves with England against the United States in the War of 1812. Abandoned after 1814 . . . — Map (db m116355) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — Princess Malee "Milly" Francis
In Grateful Remembrance for a heroic and humanitarian act of courage in saving the life of an American soldier in March, 1818

Princess Malee "Milly" Francis

(c 1803 – 1848)

Woman of the Creek (Seminole) Indian Nation, . . . — Map (db m116505) HM

Georgia (Chattooga County), Menlo — Alpine, GeorgiaChickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
In late August 1863, the Federal Army of Cumberland began moving toward Georgia. On the extreme right of the Federal lines, the XX Corps, approximately 5,000 soldiers commanded by Major General Alexander M. McCook, began advancing across Lookout . . . — Map (db m116241) HM
Georgia (Crisp County), Cordele — 040-2 — Fort Early
Fort Early, built by General David Blackshear in 1812, was named for Peter Early, Governor of Georgia at that time. It was used by General Blackshear during the war of 1812. On February 13, 1818 General Andrew Jackson and his army arrived at the . . . — Map (db m116697) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Recovery — Camp Recovery Monument
Erected on the site of Camp Recovery near which are buried officers and soldiers of the United States Army who died during the Indian Wars in the Flint River and Chattahoochee River countries [sic] 1817 to 1821 — Map (db m116792) HM WM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Veterans Memorial
(Currently no transcription - work on the memorial and its surroundings are in progress as of spring, 2018)Map (db m116576) WM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Goldband Studio
Goldband Records was founded in 1945 by Eddie Shuler to record the music of his band “The All-Star Revelers” and later to record music created by other regional musicians. The record label was known for its Cajun, swamp pop, and . . . — Map (db m116634) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — LaGrange High School
In 1903, Mesard LaGrange donated an acre for a one-room schoolhouse at this site, and in 1913 offered to donate 9 more acres for an expansion of the school. The School Board at the time offered him $1000 for the land to obtain clear title. In 1929, . . . — Map (db m116338) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — City Of Alexandria Post Des Rapides
The site for the City of Alexandria was first surveyed by Samuel Levi Wells, II on the land belonging to Alexander Fulton. The city was platted into 81 squares by Frederick Walther for Fulton on February 1, 1805. In 1807, Alexandria was named the . . . — Map (db m116681) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — 700 Block Main Street
Much business was done in the 700 block and many prominent businessmen who worked here represented their fellows in government. Dr. George S. Long, former dentist and brother to governors Huey and Earl Long, served as a United States Congressman. . . . — Map (db m116337) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Central Louisiana State Hospital Cemetery
Authorized by Act 92 of the 1902 Louisiana Legislature, cemetery and morgue sites were selected in January 1906. There are 2,356 persons who are interred in the cemetery, the last occurring in June 1985. Individual graves for persons who are . . . — Map (db m116347) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #1
Pineville today encompasses the first central Louisiana settlement begun on this spot in the early 1700's. Post Du Rapide took its name from "el rapido", the rapides in Spanish and "les rapide", from the French. The first levee was built along the . . . — Map (db m116639) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #2
Pineville, located on the Edmund Murphy Land Grant, part of the original Post du Rapide, offered a variety of goods and services to early settlers. Traders Beauboeuf, Poussin, and David brought the first stores to Pineville where the streets became . . . — Map (db m116636) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #3
Farmers from the north side of the Red River parked their wagons at Jessie Johnston's General Merchandise and Wagon Lot before they caught the ferry to Alexandria. 1905: Albert Rush and Jesse M. Kees purchased the store and continued to operate at . . . — Map (db m116672) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Newburg — Cedar Point
February, 1766, Washington's schooner ran aground off this point. From his diary of August 25th, 1768, "Hauling seine upon the bar off Cedar Point for sheepshead but catched none." — Map (db m116346) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — C&O Canal
The 184-mile C&O Canal, where mule-drawn barges once lumbered alongside the Potomac River, provides a serene waterway for paddling and a towpath for hiking, biking and horseback riding. — Map (db m116495) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Camp David
Nearby is Camp David, a presidential retreat since Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration, where leaders meet and make crucial decisions that shape our nation and world. — Map (db m116494) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Explore Maryland as the Crucible of the Nation
Crisscrossed By Transportation Routes, Home To America's Earliest Industries, And Meeting Place For National Leaders, Maryland's Appalachian Region Has Been Pivotal In The Growth Of The Country Throughout its history, the nation has . . . — Map (db m116529) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Explore Maryland at the Crossroads of Conflict
When The Civil War Broke Out In 1861 And Divided The Nation, Maryland Was On The Conflict's Pivotal Border Between North And South, And Braced Itself For War. Battles fought on Maryland's soil were critical to the defense of the . . . — Map (db m116531) HM WM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Explore Maryland In Search of Adventure
Maryland's Appalachian Region Offers Visitors Natural Splendor And Outdoor Adventure, Plus Countless Opportunities To Explore The Region's Rich Heritage—all Just A Few Miles Off Interstate 70. Maryland Byways, like the Historic . . . — Map (db m116525) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — The Battle of Antietam
The Battle of Antietam, fought fourteen miles from here on September 17, 1862, was a pivotal Union victory, encouraging President Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation. — Map (db m116493) HM WM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — The Historic National Road"The Road that Built the Nation"
parallels Interstate 70, connecting western settlements across the Appalachian Mountains with eastern ports since 1806. — Map (db m116490) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Underground Railroad
Freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad crossed the Potomac River and traveled north through these mountains to reach freedom's border—the Mason and Dixon Line. — Map (db m116491) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Washington County
Washington County features 24 graceful stone-arch bridges. Burnside Bridge was a major site of Civil War action. — Map (db m116492) HM WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — From Trolley to TrailA Brief History
After the Civil War, America's cities created new transportation systems that enabled them to prosper and grow. During this time, major rail lines were built to connect Washington, D.C. with other cities. Smaller electric streetcar or 'trolley' . . . — Map (db m116775) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Ament HallNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. The massive Ament Hall, built in 1927, . . . — Map (db m115990) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Forest Glen Railroad StationNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. Hotel guests and seminary students arrived . . . — Map (db m115992) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — The Expansion of the SeminaryNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. A panorama of five connected buildings . . . — Map (db m115994) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — The Forest InnNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. The Forest Inn was built in 1887 as a summer . . . — Map (db m115993) HM
Maryland (Prince George), Oxon Hill — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 9
Jurisdiction of the United States Miles 8 291 P 1792 Maryland Var 0⁰ 37’ E — Map (db m116581)
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — Saint MonicaMother of Saint Augustine
Born 332 in Tagaste, North Africa; Died 387 in Ostia near Rome ~ “My reason for wanting to live a little longer was to see you a Catholic Christian before I died.” ~ St. Monica ~ Patroness of Mothers, Wives, Widows, Parents, . . . — Map (db m116340) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sandy Hook — Exploring Maryland Heights
As the highest ridge surrounding the town of Harpers Ferry, Maryland Heights once bustled with private industry and Civil War occupation. Antietam Iron Works, a major nail producer in the early 1800s, burned the timber of the heights for charcoal . . . — Map (db m116570) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sandy Hook — Hiking Maryland Heights
Here the trail divides and the choice is yours. Time and hiking difficulties are important factors as you select your trail route. The Stone Fort Trail To your left, is a strenuous but rewarding hike to the summit. The route passes Civil War . . . — Map (db m116568) HM
Minnesota (Dodge County), Dodge Center — Plowville
The First National Soil Conservation District Field Day and Plow Matches were held here on September 6, 1952. Over 125,000 spectators saw demonstrations of new methods and new techniques for soil conservation during the event. The presidential . . . — Map (db m114960) HM
Minnesota (Dodge County), Wasioja — Wasioja Recruiting Station
When the Civil War began in 1861, Minnesota was the first state to offer and send troops to aid the Union cause. In April 1861, this building was converted to use as a recruiting station. Recruits from the Wasioja station, numbering over 200, formed . . . — Map (db m114961) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Assault on the Confederate Line of Defense, May 19.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army under command of Maj Gen. U. S. Grant was composed of three divisions of the 13th, the 15th, and the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, was composed of Stevenson’s, Forney’s, Smith's, and . . . — Map (db m116685) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Assault on the Confederate Line of Defense, May 22.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was composed of the 13th, 15th, and 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, was composed of Stevenson’s, Forney’s, Smith's and Bowen’s Divisions, and . . . — Map (db m116684) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Battle of Champion's Hill, Mississippi, May 16.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was composed of the 13th Corps, Blair’s division of the 15th Corps, and Logan’s and Crocker’s Divisions of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, . . . — Map (db m116686) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Siege Operations, May 23-July 4.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
At the beginning of siege operations, May 23, about 162 guns were on the investment line, most of them in position in hastily constructed batteries. These were enlarged and strengthened and additional guns successively mounted in new batteries at . . . — Map (db m116683) HM

508 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 308
Paid Advertisement