Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

377 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 177
 
First Autonomous University in Guatemala Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, March 20, 2018
First Autonomous University in Guatemala Marker
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — First Autonomous University in Guatemala
Aquí se establecio la Primera Universidad Autonoma de Guatemala y de America Decreto Leg. #985-30 Abril 1918 Homenaje de los Senadores de la J.C.I. de Guatemala 1972 English translation: Here was established the . . . — Map (db m116474) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — General Francisco Morazán
General Francisco Morazán Presidente Republica Federal De Centro América 1829-1834 Tegucigalpa Honduras 3 Octubre 1792 San Jose De Costa Rica 15 Septembre 1842 Gloria a su Ideal Centroamericano Asociación de Damas Hondureñas Residentes . . . — Map (db m116466) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Jocotenango ParkRuta Histórica Ciudad de Guatemala
Parque Jocotenango En sus inicios conocida como “Plaza Jocotenango”, constituyó entre los años 1777 a 1879 el centro social y comercial del Pueblo de Indígenas de Jocotenango de Nuestro Señora de la Asunción. La plaza . . . — Map (db m116604) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — José Martí
José Martí Al pueblo de Guatemala ofrenda del Ramon Grau San Martin Presidente de la República de Cuba Homenaje de la respetable logia “Jose Marti” 20 de octubre 1977 English translation: José Martí . . . — Map (db m116660) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — The Guatemalan Peace Accords
Los acuerdos de Paz se suscribieron en un instante, pero su contenido encierra una visión de lo que nos pasó, de lo que somos y de lo que queremos lograr. Guatemaltecos, la Paz firmada en 1996 es nuestra. ¡Cuidémosla! Álvaro Arzú . . . — Map (db m116606) HM WM
Guatemala, Guatemala City (Municipalidad de Guatemala) — Yurrita House
Casa Yurrita Tipo: Arquitectura Residencial Construcción: 1910 Estilo: Historicista Esta casa debe su nombre a Don Felipe Yurrita quien mandó a edificarla según su gusto. Fue inaugurada en 1910 y funcionó como residencia de la . . . — Map (db m116482) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipalidad de San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Mesón de la Virgen(The Hostel of the Virgin) — San Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, México
Mesón de la Virgen Hoy Escuela Rita Peréz de Moreno Por orden del Pbro. Bachiller Don Vicente Cuellar y González en el año de 1769, se inició la construcción del Mesón de la Virgen con el fin de hospedar en él a los viajeros y . . . — Map (db m116661) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipalidad de San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Temple of the Third OrderSan Juan de los Lagos, Jalisco, México
Templo de la Tercera Orden Pequeño Templo construido en la segunda mitad del siglo XVII, de una nave con cruceros. Su fachada es sencilla al estilo franciscano; el ingreso con un arco de medio punto, ventana coral y en uno de los . . . — Map (db m116663) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — Alfredo R. Placencia
Del pueblo de Jalostotitlán al Sacerdote y poeta Alfredo R. Placencia 15 de septiembre 1875 Jalostotitlán 20 de mayo 1930 Guadalajara Gran poeta de nuestra tierra Ayuntamiento de Jalostotitlán Octubre 2013 English . . . — Map (db m116669) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — Pope John Paul II's Visit to Jalostotitlán
Homenaje del pueblo de Jalostotitlán a Su Santidad el Papa Juan Pablo II por su visita a nuestra diocesis el 8 de mayo de 1990 Jalostotitlan, Jal. 15 de agosto de 1999 English translation: A tribute from the people . . . — Map (db m116674) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — The Archaeological Zone of Teocaltitán
Zona Arqueológica “Teocaltitán”El complejo arqueológico Teocaltitán está ubicado en la comunidad del mismo nombre, en el municipio de Jalostotitlán. Es un centro ceremonial del Clásico tardío/Epiclásico que perteneció a la . . . — Map (db m116677) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of Jalostotitlán), Jalostotitlán — The Virgin of the Assumption
La Virgen de la AsunciónLa patrona inmemorial de Jalostotitlán tiene un origen desconocido hasta ahora, pues no se han encontrado documentos que afirmen de donde proviene la imagen, ni la fecha en que llegó a la parroquia, sea cual . . . — Map (db m116675) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Chapel of the First Miracle
Capilla del Primer Milagro Aquí por los años de mil quinientos treinta se construyó la primer ermita, donde estuviera en el incognito la imagen de la virgin de San Juan, aquí donde emergió con prodigio en 1623 en el llamado primer . . . — Map (db m116664) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — Sanctuary of Saint Pedro Esqueda
Santuario de San Pedro Esqueda Templo de San Pedro Esqueda. La importancia de este templo es ser el santuario de San Pedro Esqueda Santo mártir de la persecución religiosa. Aquí yacen sus restos mortales en la urna de mármol, y bajo . . . — Map (db m116668) HM
Mexico, Jalisco (Municipality of San Juan de los Lagos), San Juan de los Lagos — The Temple of the Blood of Christ
Sangre de Cristo Se construyo este templo a extramuros y fue que en su entorno se formo un barrio tal, que luego caracterizo un estilo que dio un perfil de ciudadanos con su propia micro cultura en la ya de por si singular ciudad de . . . — Map (db m116666) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Henry Hudson
From this ancient "Tower of Tears" erected 1482 A.D. Henry Hudson set sail April 4th.'1609 A.D. on the vessel "Half Moon" on that voyage of discovery destined to bring him to the harbor of New York and the Hudson River . . . — Map (db m116691) HM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Choc Bay War Cemetery
Choc Bay War Cemetery Commonwealth War Grave The men in whose memory this group of headstones has been set up gave their lives in the service of their country and were buried in this cemetery — Map (db m116638) WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Jean Baptiste Bideau
Jean Baptiste Bideau c. 1770-1817 Born at Desruisseaux in Saint Lucia A sea captain who dedicated his life to freedom and heroically saved the life of Simon Bolivar — Map (db m116642) HM WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Simon Bolivar
. . . — Map (db m116646) HM WM
Saint Lucia, Castries — Sir John George Melvin Compton
The Right Honourable Sir John George Melvin Compton Saint Lucia’s First Primer Minister & Champion of Caribbean Integration 1925-2007 — Map (db m116692) HM
Saint Lucia, Castries — The “Cannon” at Walcott Place
The “Cannon” at Walcott PlaceReclaiming our history…. The intersections of Chaussee Rd., Chisel St. and Mary-Ann St form this tiny rectangular "island" green. For many years, this place has been known as the "Cannon." One . . . — Map (db m116647) HM
Saint Lucia, Gros Islet — The Bells of Gros Islet
This stone was laid by his Grace Archbishop Kelvin Felix D.D. 16th December 1993, to commemorate the centenary of the blessing of these bells by Archbishop Flood. In faith and celebration this new belfry was built by the community with support . . . — Map (db m116718) HM
Saint Lucia, Gros Islet, Pigeon Island — Cooperage
Cooperage 1778 In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries British warships, transports and supply ships came and went in Gros Islet Bay and were refitted and resupplied at Pigeon Island. Barrels were the containers of the day. . . . — Map (db m116717) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — City of London School for Girls
Site of the City of London School for Girls founded by William Ward 1894-1969 — Map (db m116573) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Coachmakers' Hall
Site of the Coachmakers' Hall 1703-1940 — Map (db m116544) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — John Bray's House
Adjoining this site stood the house of John Bray Scene of Charles Wesley's Evangelical Conversion May 21st 1738 — Map (db m116542) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — John Milton
The Poet and Statesman John Milton was born 1608 in Bread Street — Map (db m116489) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Mitre Tavern
Site of The Mitre TavernMap (db m116405) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Daily Courant
In a house near this site was published in 1702 The Daily Courant first London daily newspaper. — Map (db m116510) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Tipperary
The pub was built on the side of a monastery which dated to 1300 where, amongst other duties, the monks brewed ale. This site was an island between the River Thames and River Fleet which still runs under the pub that is now little more than a . . . — Map (db m116403) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Upholders' Hall
Site of Upholders' Hall Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 — Map (db m116406) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Palmerston1784-1865
Prime Minister Born here — Map (db m116546) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Andres Bello1781 - 1865
Poet, Jurist, Philologist and Venezuelan Patriot lived here in 1810 — Map (db m116610) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Christina Georgina Rossetti
Here lived and died Christina Georgina Rossetti Poetess Born 1830:Died 1894 — Map (db m116450) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dorothy L. Sayers1893 - 1957
Writer of Detective Stories lived here 1921-1929 — Map (db m116499) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Dorothy Richardson1873-1957
Writer lived here 1905-1906 — Map (db m116497) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Francisco de Miranda1750 - 1816
Lived in this house between 1803 And 1810. Born In Caracas, Venezuela, he was whe forerunner of the independence of the republics of Latin America. Here he met in 1810 The Liberator Simon Bolivar.

Vivio en esta casa . . . — Map (db m116575) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Francisco de Miranda1750 - 1816
Precursor of Latin American Independence lived here 1802-1810 — Map (db m116626) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Mary Anne Clarke1776 - 1852
Mistress of Prince Frederick Duke of York lived in a house on this site 1803 — Map (db m116498) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Professor Sir Christopher IngoldNational Chemical Landmark
Chemistry Department University College London

During the period 1930-1970 Professor Sir Christopher Ingold pioneered our understanding of the electronic basis of structure, mechanism and reactivity in organic chemistry, which . . . — Map (db m116440) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Robert Travers Herford1860 - 1950
Unitarian Minister Scholar and Interpreter of Judaism lived and worked here — Map (db m116484) HM
Alabama, Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Award of Air Force Cross to Keary J.Miller
Citation to Accompany the Award of The Air Force Cross to Keary J.Miller Technical Sergeant Keary J. Miller distinguished himself by gallantry in connection with military operations against an opposing armed force near . . . — Map (db m116584) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Stockton — Fort Mims And The Creek Indian War, 1813-14
Front: In 1813, people on the United State’s southwestern frontier were fearful. The Redstick faction of the Creek Indian Nation opposed growing American influence in the area and had voted for war. However, Creeks living in the Tensaw . . . — Map (db m116678) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Cedar Bluff — Gen. John B. Hood Headquarters
Gen. Hood, commanding the Dept. of Tennessee and Georgia for the Confederate Army, made his headquarters in this house on Oct. 19, 1864 on his retreat from Atlanta to Tennessee via Gadsden. His army numbered approximately 40,000 troops. — Map (db m116615) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Sand Rock — Sand Rock
The town was named for the characteristics of local rocks. A post office was established in 1855 and closed in 1903. The Sand Rock High School Wildcats won the Class 1A football championship in 1985 and the Class 2A State softball championship in . . . — Map (db m116616) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — H-12 — Craighead County Court House
The site of Jonesboro was laid off as the county seat of Craighead County in 1859, and there was erected soon afterwards the first court house in the county. — Map (db m116609) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — In Memoriam United Spanish War Veterans1898
{Title is text}Map (db m116621) WM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — The Arkansas
This is the 16,000 pound anchor off the bow of the nuclear powered guided missile cruiser USS Arkansas, CGN-41. This anchor was placed here in grateful memory of those who served aboard her. Four ships of the United States Navy and one of the . . . — Map (db m116687) HM
Arkansas (Craighead County), Jonesboro — 1 — The Battle of Jonesboro
The Battle of Jonesboro took place at the Craighead County Court House in Jonesboro, Arkansas, on August 2, 1862. Company I, 30th Arkansas Infantry of the Fifth Trans-Mississippi Confederate army, under the command of Captain Mitchel A. Adair, . . . — Map (db m116608) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Crittenden Bank & Trust CompanyErected 1919 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
The Crittenden Bank & Trust, the town’s third bank, began operation January 9, 1909, replacing the Bank of Marion which had failed in 1908. Three other short-lived banks were housed in this building. The last banking operation here was that of . . . — Map (db m116727) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Marion HotelErected 1911 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
Designed and built by Major Moore for Thomas Koser, the building was completed December of 1911. The building, which is constructed of native hardwoods, brick and concrete, had pressed tin ceilings and hardwood floors. The hotel had its own water . . . — Map (db m116726) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Military Road
First Highway constructed in Arkansas, Hopefield to Little Rock, extended to Fort Smith and into Indian Territory, (Oklahoma). Built by the United States under supervision of the Quartermasters Department of the United States Army. Survey was . . . — Map (db m116549) HM
Arkansas (Crittenden County), Marion — Rhodes StorefrontsCirca 1925 — Courthouse Square Walking Trail
One of the city's biggest fires occurred in the early 1900's when a series of businesses in frame buildings on the east side of Court Street were destroyed by fire. Volunteer firefighters brought water from Harvard yards by train to help . . . — Map (db m116545) HM
Arkansas (Cross County), Parkin — Mississippian Garden — Parkin Archaeological State Park
The legacy of the Mississippian culture lives forever through the Three Sisters Garden, like the one you see planted here. The American Indians who lived here over 500 years ago were expert farmers whose most important crops were corn, beans, . . . — Map (db m116605) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hiram Abiff Whittington1805-1890
Front of Obelisk Born in Boston, Mass., came to Arkansas in 1826 to be printer for the Arkansas Gazette. In 1882 he moved to Hot Springs and in a two room log cabin established a general store, post office and lending library. He served as . . . — Map (db m116351) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Lefty Grove
From humble beginnings in Maryland's coal region, Robert "Left" Grove became baseball's greatest left-handed pitcher. Using his blazing fastball and fiery temperament, he won 300 Major League games (31 in 1931) and 108 International League games. In . . . — Map (db m116503) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — National Baptist Hotel
Built in 1923 as the Woodmen of the Union Building, this hotel, bathhouse, and performance venue quickly became the center of African American culture in Hots Springs. It housed virtually every great Negro League player and entertainer who visited . . . — Map (db m116147) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Jacksonport — Jackson County CourthouseBuilt 1869 - 72
. . . — Map (db m116611) HM
Arkansas (Jackson County), Newport — G-3 — Jackson County First Court House
The first court house in Jackson County, created in 1832, was located at Litchfield, where it remained until 1839, when it was moved to Elizabeth. In 1852 Augusta (now Woodruff County) was made the county seat and two years later it was moved to . . . — Map (db m116624) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Austin
In 1828 the town of Oakland Grove was founded. By 1861 the name had been changed to Austin, according to a false local legend the once thriving town of over 30 residences was almost selected as the state capitol beginning in 1858 the town was a . . . — Map (db m116644) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Austin — Oakland Grove (Old Austin)Short Cut to Indian Territory 1832-1838 — Trail of Tears Through Arkansas
In 1807, citizens of Crystal Hill built a road to connect Cadron and Arkansas Post. From Cadron the road was built almost due east and continued until they reached the Wattensaw. At the Wattensaw swamps they found an Indian path that led south to . . . — Map (db m116694) HM
Arkansas (Lonoke County), Lonoke — Battle of Brownsville
On August 25, 1863 U.S. and Confederate Cavalry clashed near here. The initial battle involving approximately 7,000 men occurred east of the town. After a brief artillery duel, Col. Geiger's US troopers forced the retreat of Gen. Marmaduke's CS . . . — Map (db m116458) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — The Union Army Marches Into Helena — A Part of the Civil War Discovery Trail
On July 12, 1862, the Union army occupied Helena. Over two thousand fugitive slaves seeking the army's protection followed. For two days, the long line of soldiers and freedom seekers filed into Helena. Curtis Marches toward Helena Most . . . — Map (db m116437) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Baucum — 4 — The Little Rock Campaign - River CrossingUnion Troops Cross Arkansas River to Capture Little Rock
North of where you are standing, Union troops on September 10, 1863, constructed a wooden pontoon bridge across the Arkansas River allowing Union Brigadier General John W. Davidson's cavalry division to proceed to Little Rock. Major General . . . — Map (db m116523) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — A Gallant ChargeThe First Iowa Cavalry Charges Burning Reed's Bridge
As Gen. John Davidson saw flames erupting from the only bridge across Bayou Meto, he ordered Lt. Col. Daniel Anderson to take his First Iowa Cavalry Regiment and save the bridge, if possible. Anderson and his men thundered down the Memphis to Little . . . — Map (db m116543) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Brother Against BrotherUnion and Confederate Missourians Fight at Bayou Meto
Missouri, a border state, never seceded from the Union but her people were nevertheless divided and tens of thousands of Missourians wore both blue and gray between 1861 and 1865. Missouri is credited with supplying 109,111 men to Union forces, of . . . — Map (db m116715) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Like Sorrow's Veil...The Confederates Burn Reed's Bridge Over Bayou Meto
Bayou Meto, "a steep-banked and miry stream," provided a natural barrier and defensive position for the Confederates on August 27, 1863. The primary means of crossing the bayou was Reed's Bridge on the Memphis to Little Rock Road. As the . . . — Map (db m116538) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Brigade Moved ForwardThe Opening Movements of the Battle of Reed's Bridge
The first action of the Battle of Reed's Bridge occurred east of where you are standing when 125 Missouri Confederates opened fire on Brigadier General John Wynn Davidson's Union cavalry division at about 11 a.m. on August 27, 1863. The . . . — Map (db m116603) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Memphis to Little Rock RailroadSamson Gray Helps Link the State Capital with the Mississippi
One of the largest public works projects to take place in territorial Arkansas was construction of the Memphis to Little Rock Road, an ambitious effort to allow travelers to cross the dense swamps and Grand Prairie of east Arkansas to . . . — Map (db m116571) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Thunder on Bayou MetoConfederate Artillery in the Battle for Reed's Bridge
As Reed's Bridge burned and Confederate artillery broke up the charge of the First Iowa Cavalry Regiment, Union artillery opened fire on Brigadier General John S. Marmaduke at his position near Lt. Charlie Bell's "little teaser" prairie gun. . . . — Map (db m116569) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Battle of Reed's Bridge
On August 27, 1863 the Federal army was advancing along the Military Road toward Little Rock when its Cavalry Division of 6,000 men under Gen. John W. Davidson attempted a crossing here and was met by a Confederate force of 4,000 under Gen. John S. . . . — Map (db m116508) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Bayou Meto Historic Site
In 1845 the Russell Beall family donated land for Bayou Meto Cemetery. Soon afterward a two story log building was erected in a grove of oaks. Known as Bayou Meto Chapel. the structure served as church, public school and meeting place for . . . — Map (db m116645) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 135 — Confederates at Bayou Meto
Following their defeat at the July 4, 1863, Battle of Helena, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price’s infantry division fell back to Des Arc and Searcy. Price assumed command of the Confederate army in Arkansas on July 23 and Gen. James Fagan took over . . . — Map (db m116472) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Memphis Military Road
Construction of this earliest road connecting Memphis with Little Rock began in 1826 under the supervision of Lt. Frederick L. Griffith, U.S. Army. It was completed in 1828 under Lt. Charles Thomas. Miles of swamps and numerous streams made the road . . . — Map (db m116509) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Shared Gray     Jacob Gray1758-1836     1762-1837
Revolutionary War soldiers and brothers, Shared fought for North Carolina and Jacob fought for both North and South Carolina. In the winter of 1820-1821 they brought their families here from Williamson County, Tennessee and settled near this site. — Map (db m116507) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — 2 — The Little Rock Campaign - Reed's BridgeConfederates Stop Union Advance
Looking northwest fifty yards to your left, the old military road crossed Bayou Meto over Reed's Bridge. Confederate troops fell back to this location from the August 25, 1863, Brownsville skirmish to establish a strong position to stop the Union . . . — Map (db m116516) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — The Trail of Tears through JacksonvilleTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"The route which the Choctaws and Chickasaws will travel, in emigrating to their new homes, is not yet, we believe, fully determined on; but it is quite probable that a large proportion of them will cross the Mississippi at Helena, and White . . . — Map (db m116572) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — They Passed This WayTrail of Tears National Historic Trail — National Trails System
"Long time we travel on way to new land.... Womens cry.... Children cry and men cry...but they say nothing and just put heads down and keep on go towards West. Many days pass and people die very much." -Recollection of a . . . — Map (db m116602) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — A Piece of the Rock, a Piece of HistoryLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
The Little Rock was not always as it is now. To support the Junction Bridge and ensure an adequate channel for river traffic, much of the Rock was removed in 1872 and 1884. No one knows how the Point of Rocks looked before progress took its . . . — Map (db m116557) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Battle of Little Rock
In this vicinity, on September 10, 1863, an invading Federal column under Gen'l Frederick Steele defeated Confederate forces under Gen'l John Marmaduke in the Battle of Little Rock — Map (db m116460) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Engagement at Bayou FourcheSeptember 10, 1863
U.S.A. 10th Illinois Cavalry 1st Iowa Cavalry 2nd Missouri Cavalry 3rd Missouri Cavalry 7th Missouri Cavalry 8th Missouri Cavalry Vaughan's Ilinois Artillery Battery 2nd Missouri Light Artillery (Battery "K" and . . . — Map (db m116463) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — It is River CityLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
In the early days of Little Rock, the Arkansas River was the lifeblood of the community. The Little Rock extended out into the river, pulling the current around it to form a natural landing basin for boats. The earliest ferry across the . . . — Map (db m116539) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — One Old RockLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
La Petite Roche ("the Little Rock") refers to the rock outcropping on the Arkansas River used as a navigation point during the early exploration of what would become the state of Arkansas. Sometimes called the Point of Rocks, it is the first . . . — Map (db m116556) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Smaller Rock, Big BridgeLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
Post-Civil War, railroads became vital to the Arkansas economy. Point of Rocks was a natural support for a railroad bridge on the river. In October 1872, construction began at the Little Rock with several tons of rock removed from the . . . — Map (db m116541) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — The Big Rock and the Little RockLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
Jean-Baptiste Bénard de La Harpe was the first European explorer to record the existence of a large rocky bluff on the north bank of the Arkansas River. According to his journal, La Harpe named it le Rocher Français ("the French Rock") on . . . — Map (db m116558) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 5 — The Little Rock Campaign - Bayou FourcheThe Battle Before The Fall Of Little Rock
Looking northeast to your right about 300 yards downstream, you can see the area of the primary fighting of the Battle of Bayou Fourche. Fighting began about noon on Wednesday, September 10, 1863, after Union Brigadier General John Davidson's troops . . . — Map (db m116532) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — 6 — The Little Rock Campaign - Riverfront ParkLittle Rock Falls
Early in August of 1863 the Union Army began a march from Helena to Little Rock. Confederate troops, commanded by Major General Sterling Price, waited to defend the city primarily from the ridge north of the Arkansas River. But Federal forces . . . — Map (db m116536) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Witness to RemovalLa Petite Roche Historical Walk
In 1818, the U.S. policy on Indian Removal restricted the Quapaw to a reservation in Arkansas. The western boundary, or Quapaw Line, began at "the Little Rock." This was perhaps the first official use of the name Little Rock. In 1824, a new . . . — Map (db m116565) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Scott — 3 — The Little Rock Campaign - Ashley's MillsConfederates and Union Forces Skirmish
You are standing in the vicinity of where Confederate forces camped on Monday, September 7, 1863, when Union forces under Major General Frederick Steele advancing from Brownsville engaged the brigade of Colonel Robert C. Newton, C.S.A., driving his . . . — Map (db m116519) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — Spanish Land Grant to John Fayac
. . . — Map (db m116648) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — White County Confederate Monument1861 - 1865 — CSA
Erected to the memory of the Confederate Soldiers of White County by Public Conscription 1917. — Map (db m116708) WM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — F-13 — White County Court House
In 1837, two years after the creation of White County, the site of the town of Searcy was laid off as the permanent seat of justice of the county. — Map (db m116701) HM
Arkansas (White County), Searcy — White County Vietnam Memorial
Dedicated to those who made the supreme sacrifice, and in honor of all the men and women who served their country in a time of need. Killed in Action Dean, Lawrence C. Latimer, Wilbur D. Marsh, Clark L. Solomon, Douglas E. . . . — Map (db m116707) WM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — "It Was a Hard Little Fight"The Battle of Fitzhugh's Woods, April 1st, 1864
As Maj. Gen. Frederick Steele's Union army marched into southwest Arkansas in the spring of 1864, Col. C.C. Andrews was ordered to lead an expedition to Woodruff County. The column's orders were to keep Brig. Gen. Dandridge McRae from recruiting . . . — Map (db m116643) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Augusta Memorial ParkEstablished about 1850
Much of the history of Augusta lies beneath these grounds. It was the burial ground for the Chickasaws before the first settlers. The earliest extant gravestone is Penelopy Simmons, who operated a hotel in Augusta and died in 1852. First . . . — Map (db m116627) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Augusta Presbyterian Church
The church was organized in 1861, by its first pastor, Rev. S.W. Davies. The foundation was apparently laid in 1861. It was completed in 1871. Woodrow Wilson, as a youth. worshiped here while his brother-in- law, Rev. A.R. Kennedy. was . . . — Map (db m116633) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Chickasaw CrossingRiver Mile 198
Chickasaws and Quapaws crossed the White River here to visit, long before the first settlers. First post office, named Chickasaw Crossing in Feb. 1848, was soon changed to Augusta. Steamboats docked here to deliver goods and left with . . . — Map (db m116629) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — City of AugustaSesquicentennial 1848 - 1998
Thomas Hough founded Augusta in 1848, naming it after his favorite cousin, Miss Augusta Cald, of Virginia. For generations it was known as Chickasaw Crossing. The first settlers came in 1820. It was incorporated in 1861. During the Civil . . . — Map (db m116630) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Woodruff County Courthouse
Noted architect: Charles L. Thompson, Nov 30, 1901 Thomas Hough, founder of Augusta in 1848 built his home on this location before the Civil War. During the Federal occupation Gen. Frederick Steele headquartered here. Woodruff County was . . . — Map (db m116628) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — G-13 — Woodruff County Presbyterian Church
Woodrow Wilson as a youth worshiped in this church while his brother-in-law, Rev. A.R. Kennedy, was pastor. — Map (db m116637) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Cotton Plant — The Battle of Cache River or Cotton Plant
July 7, 1862, the 11th Wisconsin Infantry of the Federals, commanded by Colonel Hovey, met the Confederate Texas Cavalry commanded by General Rust at Hills Plantation and engaged in a bitter fight. The Battle of Cache River or Cotton Plant is . . . — Map (db m116454) HM
California (Butte County), Concow — Yankee HillEst. 1856
This is the area of the original historic site of Old Yankee Hill. It was first founded as a gold mining town, having in later years a hotel, general store, Wells Fargo post office, saloon and a winery. Yankee Hill was purchased by the Smiths in . . . — Map (db m116614) HM
California (Kern County), Frazier Park — El Camino Viejo
El Camino Viejo (The Old Highway) began as an inland trail prior to 1800. It was originally a refugee route running between present day San Pedro in Southern California to the East Oakland area in the north. It was used by Indians, trappers, . . . — Map (db m116500) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 960 — Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
This stadium was originally completed in 1923. It was partially redesigned and enlarged for the 1932 Olympic Games. Both designs were by architects John & Donald B. Parkinson. The Coliseum has witnessed many important sports, political, and . . . — Map (db m116751) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Merced TheatreEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by . . . — Map (db m116748) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico HouseEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m116747) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Mission San Fernando Rey de España
1. Historical Museum The museum exhibits a pictorial history of the mission, pottery, santos, trade and commerce items, together with an extensive collection of early mission baskets given by Marie and Mark Harrington. 2. . . . — Map (db m114714)
California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Rogerio Rocha
Rogerio Rocha was born in 1801, in the village of Mapanga, and was baptized in the San Fernando Mission. Rocha became a well-known blacksmith in California. In Rocha's early years he became the Captain of Mapanga, which is known today as the town of . . . — Map (db m116612) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Brigantine GalileeThe Smartest Sailing Vessel out of San Francisco
The brigantine Galilee "...has invariably outsailed and outpointed every vessel with which she has ever been in company, and has the reputation of being the smartest sailing vessel out of San Francisco." — The Rudder, . . . — Map (db m116754) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Indian OccupiersThis Land is My Land
"Alcatraz is not an island, it's an idea. The idea that you can recapture and be in control of your life, your destiny, and self-determine your future." -- Richard Oakes, Spokesperson for the Occupation

Pursuing an Ideal

In . . . — Map (db m116514) HM

Colorado (Chaffee County), Salida — Finding Our Roots / New Faces Along the River / Pike Explores the Valley
Marker A:Finding Our Roots Following ancient paths The history of Chaffee County as part of the United States began in 1803, with the purchase of the Louisiana Territory from France. But human history was established here . . . — Map (db m116085) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — 1801 F Street
1801 F Street Site of residences of Chief Justice John Marshall Chief Justice Melville Fuller Associate Justice Joseph Story Plaque erected under auspices of The Columbia Historical Society and The Bar Association of The . . . — Map (db m116596) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Roots of Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox CathedralMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
In 1904 members of Washington, DC's "Greek Colony" — mostly recently arrived immigrant men — held the city's first Greek Orthodox church service above a warehouse on Indiana Avenue near Seventh Street, NW. In the years that followed, . . . — Map (db m116651) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Milford School Bell
Dedicated November 13, 1989 as an enduring symbol of The United States Department of Education's goal to educate every American to His or her fullest potential George Herbert Walker Bush, President of the United States of America Lauro . . . — Map (db m115930) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Project Mercury MemorialSpace View Park
Mercury Project Initiated in 1958, completed in 1963. Project Mercury was United States’ first man-in-space program. Over 2,000,000 people from many government agencies and aerospace corporations combining their skills and experiences into the . . . — Map (db m116582) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Marineland — MarinelandOf Florida
Founded in 1937 as Marine Studios The World’s First Oceanarium. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places April 14, 1986 by the Keeper of the National Register, United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m116297) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — Veterans MemorialV.F.W Post 8696
This Memorial Is Dedicated To Those Veterans Who In Time Of National Need Have Faithfully Served Their Country And To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice. — Map (db m116585) WM
Florida (Franklin County), Sumatra — F-159 — Fort Gadsden
Side A Built in 1814 by Lieutenant Colonel Edward Nichols, His Majesty's Marines, as a rallying point to encourage the Seminole Indians to ally themselves with England against the United States in the War of 1812. Abandoned after 1814 . . . — Map (db m116355) HM
Florida (Wakulla County), St. Marks — Princess Malee "Milly" Francis
In Grateful Remembrance for a heroic and humanitarian act of courage in saving the life of an American soldier in March, 1818

Princess Malee "Milly" Francis

(c 1803 – 1848)

Woman of the Creek (Seminole) Indian Nation, . . . — Map (db m116505) HM

Georgia (Chattooga County), Menlo — Alpine, GeorgiaChickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
In late August 1863, the Federal Army of Cumberland began moving toward Georgia. On the extreme right of the Federal lines, the XX Corps, approximately 5,000 soldiers commanded by Major General Alexander M. McCook, began advancing across Lookout . . . — Map (db m116241) HM
Georgia (Crisp County), Cordele — 040-2 — Fort Early
Fort Early, built by General David Blackshear in 1812, was named for Peter Early, Governor of Georgia at that time. It was used by General Blackshear during the war of 1812. On February 13, 1818 General Andrew Jackson and his army arrived at the . . . — Map (db m116697) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — Veterans Memorial
(Currently no transcription - work on the memorial and its surroundings are in progress as of spring, 2018)Map (db m116576) WM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Goldband Studio
Goldband Records was founded in 1945 by Eddie Shuler to record the music of his band “The All-Star Revelers” and later to record music created by other regional musicians. The record label was known for its Cajun, swamp pop, and . . . — Map (db m116634) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — City Of Alexandria Post Des Rapides
The site for the City of Alexandria was first surveyed by Samuel Levi Wells, II on the land belonging to Alexander Fulton. The city was platted into 81 squares by Frederick Walther for Fulton on February 1, 1805. In 1807, Alexandria was named the . . . — Map (db m116681) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #1
Pineville today encompasses the first central Louisiana settlement begun on this spot in the early 1700's. Post Du Rapide took its name from "el rapido", the rapides in Spanish and "les rapide", from the French. The first levee was built along the . . . — Map (db m116639) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #2
Pineville, located on the Edmund Murphy Land Grant, part of the original Post du Rapide, offered a variety of goods and services to early settlers. Traders Beauboeuf, Poussin, and David brought the first stores to Pineville where the streets became . . . — Map (db m116636) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #3
Farmers from the north side of the Red River parked their wagons at Jessie Johnston's General Merchandise and Wagon Lot before they caught the ferry to Alexandria. 1905: Albert Rush and Jesse M. Kees purchased the store and continued to operate at . . . — Map (db m116672) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — C&O Canal
The 184-mile C&O Canal, where mule-drawn barges once lumbered alongside the Potomac River, provides a serene waterway for paddling and a towpath for hiking, biking and horseback riding. — Map (db m116495) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Camp David
Nearby is Camp David, a presidential retreat since Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration, where leaders meet and make crucial decisions that shape our nation and world. — Map (db m116494) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Explore Maryland as the Crucible of the Nation
Crisscrossed By Transportation Routes, Home To America's Earliest Industries, And Meeting Place For National Leaders, Maryland's Appalachian Region Has Been Pivotal In The Growth Of The Country Throughout its history, the nation has . . . — Map (db m116529) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Explore Maryland at the Crossroads of Conflict
When The Civil War Broke Out In 1861 And Divided The Nation, Maryland Was On The Conflict's Pivotal Border Between North And South, And Braced Itself For War. Battles fought on Maryland's soil were critical to the defense of the . . . — Map (db m116531) HM WM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Explore Maryland In Search of Adventure
Maryland's Appalachian Region Offers Visitors Natural Splendor And Outdoor Adventure, Plus Countless Opportunities To Explore The Region's Rich Heritage—all Just A Few Miles Off Interstate 70. Maryland Byways, like the Historic . . . — Map (db m116525) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — The Battle of Antietam
The Battle of Antietam, fought fourteen miles from here on September 17, 1862, was a pivotal Union victory, encouraging President Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation. — Map (db m116493) HM WM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — The Historic National Road"The Road that Built the Nation"
parallels Interstate 70, connecting western settlements across the Appalachian Mountains with eastern ports since 1806. — Map (db m116490) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Underground Railroad
Freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad crossed the Potomac River and traveled north through these mountains to reach freedom's border—the Mason and Dixon Line. — Map (db m116491) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Myersville — Washington County
Washington County features 24 graceful stone-arch bridges. Burnside Bridge was a major site of Civil War action. — Map (db m116492) HM WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Ament HallNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. The massive Ament Hall, built in 1927, . . . — Map (db m115990) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Forest Glen Railroad StationNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. Hotel guests and seminary students arrived . . . — Map (db m115992) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — The Expansion of the SeminaryNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. A panorama of five connected buildings . . . — Map (db m115994) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — The Forest InnNational Park Seminary
National Park Seminary was a resort hotel from 1887 to 1893, a school for young women from 1894 to 1942, and a U.S. Army medical facility from 1942 to 2004. It is now a unique residential community. The Forest Inn was built in 1887 as a summer . . . — Map (db m115993) HM
Maryland (Prince George), Oxon Hill — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 9
Jurisdiction of the United States Miles 8 291 P 1792 Maryland Var 0⁰ 37’ E — Map (db m116581)
Maryland (Prince George's County), Oxon Hill — Saint MonicaMother of Saint Augustine
Born 332 in Tagaste, North Africa; Died 387 in Ostia near Rome ~ “My reason for wanting to live a little longer was to see you a Catholic Christian before I died.” ~ St. Monica ~ Patroness of Mothers, Wives, Widows, Parents, . . . — Map (db m116340) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sandy Hook — Exploring Maryland Heights
As the highest ridge surrounding the town of Harpers Ferry, Maryland Heights once bustled with private industry and Civil War occupation. Antietam Iron Works, a major nail producer in the early 1800s, burned the timber of the heights for charcoal . . . — Map (db m116570) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sandy Hook — Hiking Maryland Heights
Here the trail divides and the choice is yours. Time and hiking difficulties are important factors as you select your trail route. The Stone Fort Trail To your left, is a strenuous but rewarding hike to the summit. The route passes Civil War . . . — Map (db m116568) HM
Minnesota (Dodge County), Dodge Center — Plowville
The First National Soil Conservation District Field Day and Plow Matches were held here on September 6, 1952. Over 125,000 spectators saw demonstrations of new methods and new techniques for soil conservation during the event. The presidential . . . — Map (db m114960) HM
Minnesota (Dodge County), Wasioja — Wasioja Recruiting Station
When the Civil War began in 1861, Minnesota was the first state to offer and send troops to aid the Union cause. In April 1861, this building was converted to use as a recruiting station. Recruits from the Wasioja station, numbering over 200, formed . . . — Map (db m114961) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Assault on the Confederate Line of Defense, May 19.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army under command of Maj Gen. U. S. Grant was composed of three divisions of the 13th, the 15th, and the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, was composed of Stevenson’s, Forney’s, Smith's, and . . . — Map (db m116685) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Assault on the Confederate Line of Defense, May 22.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was composed of the 13th, 15th, and 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, was composed of Stevenson’s, Forney’s, Smith's and Bowen’s Divisions, and . . . — Map (db m116684) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Battle of Champion's Hill, Mississippi, May 16.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
The Union Army, under command of Maj. Gen. U. S. Grant, was composed of the 13th Corps, Blair’s division of the 15th Corps, and Logan’s and Crocker’s Divisions of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Lieut. Gen. John C. Pemberton, . . . — Map (db m116686) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Siege Operations, May 23-July 4.Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg; 1863.
At the beginning of siege operations, May 23, about 162 guns were on the investment line, most of them in position in hastily constructed batteries. These were enlarged and strengthened and additional guns successively mounted in new batteries at . . . — Map (db m116683) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — The Night the Earth CrackedThe Stuff of Fairy Tales
A quiet August night in a popular Forest Service campground just below Hebgen Dam. Nearby Cabin Creek murmurs softly, and the moon filters through the pines. Abruptly, the ground trembles, then jolts...then with a roar a crack appears, . . . — Map (db m116506) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Carroll — Crawford DepotBuilt 1891
Has been entered in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Restoration of the Crawford Depot has been assisted with a Federal Historic Preservation Fund matching grant from the . . . — Map (db m116631) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Colebrook — The Coos Trail
The Coos Trail was built in 1803 from Colebrook through Dixville Notch along the ancient trail of the Abnaki Indians to Erroll where it met the Coos Road of Maine completed in 1802 from Hallowell on the Kennebec River Marked by . . . — Map (db m116404) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Lancaster — Stone HouseLancaster NH: Stories of People & Places
John Sullivan Wells built this unique structure between 1835 and 1840.Wells brought the granite from Northumberland to construct his home. Shortly after it was completed Wells was called to Exeter to become Attorney General and the house was sold . . . — Map (db m116640) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bethlehem — Angel of the Mountains
This house was built in 1893 for the William O. Kelner Family who named it The Gables. Builder S.D. Morgan graced this Queen Anne style home with lavish interior woodwork to include a six panel picture window on the landing of a uniquely detailed . . . — Map (db m116540) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bethlehem — Jodo Karate
Built as a Congregational Church in 1877 by the founding group of eight members, the building became the Maplewood Lodge I.O.O.F. in 1940. It has also served as the Rebekah Lodge. A beautiful three faced clock kept village residents apprised of . . . — Map (db m116524) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bethlehem — Sinclair Lodge
This house was built in 1837. I. Gardner Ramsdell sold the home to Isaac Cruft, Bethlehem business leader, for $1300. Mr. Cruft had built and operated the Maplewood Hotel from 1865 to 1890. He also built The Cruft Block accoss Main Street from . . . — Map (db m116521) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bethlehem — Site of Sinclair Hotel
In 1857, John Sinclair a N.H. politician built a small, but well kept 8-10 room tavern and inn. In succeeding years, it was enlarged and enlarged again to a capacity of 350 guests. It was the second largest hotel in the area and boasted a huge . . . — Map (db m116520) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Bethlehem — Town Building
General George T. Cruft presented the Town Building to Bethlehem in 1912. A plaque in the entrance hall lists residents who served in the Civil War (87 men left home and 57 returned). Delphin Baker, a Bethlehem resident worked to advance the . . . — Map (db m116537) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — 1889 Iron Bridge
This wrought iron bridge is a rare surviving example of the pin-connected lenticular truss design used for iron bridges from 1880 to 1890. The Dow Bridge, a mile southeast of here on Main Street, is of the same rare design. It has been restored . . . — Map (db m116367) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — Early Franconia
This quiet site once buzzed with activity as the center of Franconia's economy during the time of the Industrial Revolution. A dam about 200 feet upstream provided water power for an iron smelter across the river and for grist, saw and . . . — Map (db m116363) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — Iron Furnace
Across the Gale River stands New Hampshire's sole surviving blast furnace. It is unusual, as well, in its octagonal shape and its remarkable condition. A huge wooden shed protected the furnace and workers from the weather. The shed filled . . . — Map (db m116364) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — Preserving a Fragile Formation
As early as 1876, observers had warned that the rocks of the Profile were shifting and slipping, and scientists predicted that one day the formation would collapse. Since then, many specialists and volunteers worked to prolong the lifespan of the . . . — Map (db m116560) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — 009 — Stone Iron Furnace
Due west stands New Hampshire's sole-surviving example of a post-Revolutionary furnace for smelting local iron ore. The industry flourished during first half of 19th century. It produced pig and bar iron for farm tools and cast iron ware, including . . . — Map (db m116365) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — Viewing the Old Man
These seven large rods are an interactive sculpture that honors the Old Man of the Mountain, the celebrated profile that collapsed due to natural forces sometime in the night on May 3, 2003. You are in the same spot where travelers have . . . — Map (db m116559) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — Brackett Block
Main Street’s oldest surviving commercial building was built of village-hewn timber in 1833 by the Brackett brothers. William (1785-1859) and Aaron B. (1797-1868) traders in general merchandise. An upstairs hall hosted meetings, notably in . . . — Map (db m116309) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — First Congregational Church
On July 4, 1833, Main Street’s first house of “publick worship” was dedicated here on Meetinghouse Hill. Several denominations shared the English Gothic church, and it was a famed forum for abolition and temperance causes. The . . . — Map (db m116307) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — 71 — Kilburn BrothersStereoscopic View Factory
Here, from 1867 to 1909, the world famous Kilburn brothers, Benjamin and Edward, produced and distributed thousands of stereoscopic views. Their collection, largest in the world and collector's items today, provided popular parlor entertainment . . . — Map (db m116285) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — Littleton Stamp & Coin Co.
Millions of coin and stamp collectors know Littleton thought the Littleton Stamp & Coin Company, a mail order firm launched in December, 1945 on the second floor of Tilton’s Opera Block. Fannie Kasper Sundman, impressed by the friendly and . . . — Map (db m116273) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — Methodist Church
This building was graced with the first church bell and spire in town. Built in 1850 on the site of the Old Red Store, a pioneer tavern, the church was dedicated on January 8, 1851. A Greek Revival portico with two fluted Doric columns was . . . — Map (db m116306) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — Parker's Marketplace
Ira Parker (1846-1938) built a house here in 1885. He had left his family’s tannery in 1866 to make gloves. By 1889 he had become general manager of the Saranac Buck Glove Company, the town’s major manufacturer. Parker sold his share in . . . — Map (db m116280) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — Rounsevel Building
When erected in 1889, this building housed the Littleton Public Library and the Christian Science Society, in which R.D. Rounsevel was prominent. Its tenants included diverse retailers, insurance offices, the Republic-Journal newspaper, and . . . — Map (db m116354) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Littleton — Salomon Block
When fire claimed Jacob M. Salomon’s dry goods store on this site, he built this angled Georgian Revival showpiece in 1912, capping three decades of Main Street development begun by H. L. Tilton. Salomon (1878-1945) saluted his neighbor with . . . — Map (db m116308) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Portsmouth — John Paul Jones House
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of . . . — Map (db m116010) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Medical College
On 2 January 1839 The Albany Medical College reopened and occupied the Lancaster School designed by Philip Hooker in 1816 — Map (db m116752) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Historic State Street
This section of State Street is arguably the oldest continuously operating commercial avenue in the United States. What began as a path in the woods cut by Native peoples and Dutch beaver trappers and traders became the main east-west . . . — Map (db m116688) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Kilian Van Rensselaer
Kilian Van Rensselaer the Progenitorof the Van Rensselaer family in America, a merchant of Amsterdam Holland, the original proprietor and first patroon of the Manor of Rensselaerwyck, under a grant from the Dutch government in 1629. In following . . . — Map (db m116749) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Site of First Poor House in the United States
On this site once stood the first Poor House in the United States. Community care for the poor was an important feature of Dutch society, and it took root here in Albany as the city was settled in the first half of the 1600s. . . . — Map (db m116696) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The Albany Academy1813...1938
Chartered March 4, 1813 Held its first classes in a frame building which formerly stood upon this site This tablet erected June 3, 1938 during the Celebration of the 125th Anniversary of the founding . . . — Map (db m116745) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Henry Hudson
Landed here Sept. 19, 1609 and was entertained by Indians who encamped here called Kinderhook. — Map (db m116690) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Joan of Arc
. . . — Map (db m116341) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Fairfield — 16- 9 — Elisha Morgan Farm Mansion
Elisha Morgan purchased 48.6 acres in Fairfield Township, part of the Symmes Purchase, in 1817. The Farm Mansion was built shortly after he settled the land. The house incorporates two prevalent architectural styles in southwest Ohio in the . . . — Map (db m116553) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Fairfield — Ezekiel Walker - Revolutionary War Soldier
Sergeant • Northern Continental Army Captain James Osgood’s Company of Rangers enlisted July 15, 1775 born February 22, 1745, in Rumsford, NH died July 22, 1823 in Butler Co., OH marker placed by John Reily Chapter, NSDAR and . . . — Map (db m116555) HM WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Hollow Earth MonumentGrave of Capt. John Cleve Symmes
Capt. John Cleves Symmes as a philosopher, and the originator of ‘Symmes Theory of Concentric Spheres and Polar voids.’ He contended that the Earth is hollow and habitable within.

Capt. John C. Symmes a Native of New . . . — Map (db m116618) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — The Act of 17941732- 1932
(bust of Washington)

The Act of 1794

In the name of the United States of America: It is hereby declared that one complete township or tract of land, of six miles square, to be located with the approbation of the governor, for . . . — Map (db m116659) HM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — 27- 57 — McCook FieldCradle of Aviation Innovation
Side A:

McCook Field Cradle of Aviation Innovation

Interest in the new field of aeronautics grew dramatically when the United States entered the World War I in 1917. The army chose Dayton as the site for a . . . — Map (db m116551) HM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Memorial1812 Soldiers — Dayton National Cemetery
Memorial to the Thirty-three soldiers of the War of 1812 buried in this cemetery

Honoring Josephine C. Diefenbach state president 1935-1937

erected by The Ohio Society United States Daughters of 1812 on the anniversary . . . — Map (db m116623) WM

Ohio (Preble County), College Corner — 5- 68 — The Union School 1893-2004The Union County-College Corner Joint State School District
Side A :

The Union School 1893-2004 College Corner Ohio     West College Corner Indiana

In 1893, Ohio and Indiana constructed the first Union School on the state line separating Ohio and Indiana. For 111 years, students from both . . . — Map (db m116587) HM

Ohio (Preble County), Eaton — The Concord Church
The Concord Church founded November - 1840

This red granite rock from the “Canadian Shield” is more than 1 ½ billion years old. It was carried south to Preble County, Ohio at least 15,000 years ago by “The Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m116662) HM

Oklahoma (Oklahoma), Oklahoma City — 1 — The '89er Trail: The Boomers1879-1889
Captain David Payne and his Boomers defied federal authorities to attempt settlement in the Unassigned Lands.

From the 1830s onward, most of present-day Oklahoma was reserved for Native Americans who had been forcibly relocated from their . . . — Map (db m116563) HM

Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Capitol of Territorial Oregon1855
Site of the Capitol of Territorial Oregon — Map (db m116735) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — Murphy Real Estate Building - 1940
This Arts and Crafts style building was constructed in 1940 as the Murphy Real Estate office. It is one of a cluster of buildings on State Street designed by the prominent local architect, Richard Sundeleaf. The half-timbered architecture was . . . — Map (db m116518) HM
Oregon (Lane), Eugene — Shelton – McMurphey HouseBuilt 1888
Designated as a Eugene Historic Landmark, 1975. Deeded to Lane County by Dr. Eva Johnson, Dec. 1975 — Map (db m116753) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Oakridge — Free Emigrant Road
2,000 Pioneers Passed By Here 1853-1854 — Map (db m116746) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Oakridge — Yabes, MaximoMedal of Honor Recipient
First Sergeant, United States Army, Company A, 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division. Place and Date: Near Phu Hoa Dong, Republic of Vietnam, 26 February 1967. Place and Date: January 29, 1932, Lodi, California. Citation: For . . . — Map (db m116432) HM WM
Oregon (Lane County), Westfir — Free Emigrant Road
2,000 Pioneers Passed By Here 1853-1854 — Map (db m116750) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — The Last Line-of-Duty Deaths on Gettysburg Battlefield
On June 26, 1922, Captain Hamilton and Gunnery Sergeant Martin perished in the crash of their de Havilland DH-4B dive bomber on the property of the William Johns Farm, near the location of this marker, during the U.S. Marines training maneuvers and . . . — Map (db m116359) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Georgetown — Down The OhioIn 1803
As Lewis wrote in his journal, "The Perogue was loaded as his (has) been my practice since I left Pittsburgh....an hour after we had got under way....found she had sprung a leek and had nearly filled; as her load consisting of articles of hard-ware . . . — Map (db m116705) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Georgetown — Georgetown Veterans Memorial
Revolution Veterans War of 1812 Civil War Spanish American War WWI WWII Korea Vietnam Gulf War Peace Time Veterans — Map (db m116706) WM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Original Turnpike Road Construction
Modern road construction methods have evolved utilizing multiple sub grade & substrate layers of compacted earth, crushed stone, concrete, asphalt and can measure up to 36" in depth creating a stable smooth driving surface. Construction of the . . . — Map (db m116487) HM

377 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 177
Paid Advertisement