Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

524 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 324
 
Federico Escobedo Tinoco Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
Federico Escobedo Tinoco Marker
Mexico, Guanajuato, Salvatierra — Federico Escobedo Tinoco
El Cnco. D. Federico Escobedo Tinoco (Tamiro Miceneo) nacio en este lugar el 7 de Feb. de 1874 Club Zorros Feb. 7 de 1954 English translation: Federico Escobedo Tinoco (Tamiro Miceneo) was born here on February . . . — Map (db m117512) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salamanca), Valtierrilla — Valtierrilla
ValtierrillaEste poblado es el principal de las comunidades del municipio de Salamanca. Tiene su origen desde la época prehispánica, como asentamiento de la tribu otomí. Pasa al dominio español durante la conquista en los albores el . . . — Map (db m117346) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — 175th Anniversary of the Beginning of Mexican Independence75th Anniversary of the Beginning of the Mexican Revolution
175 Aniversario del Inicio de la Independencia 75 Aniversario del Comienzo de la Revolucion Mexicana Jornada por la Patria Este Municipio de Salvatierra ha tenido el alto honor de haber sido visitado por nuestros símbolos patrios . . . — Map (db m117444) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Bridge of BatanesRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Puente de BatanesEste antiguo puente, construido entre 1649 y 1652, es uno de los símbolos históricos de Salvatierra, al grado que se emplea en el escudo de armas de la ciudad, simbolizando la unión de la ciudad con el valle de . . . — Map (db m117412) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Cardinal Juan Jesús Posadas Ocampo
In Memoriam En el cuarto aniversario del fallecimiento del Excmo. Y Revcmo. Señor Cardenal: Don: Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo Como un homenaje postumo, a uno de los mas ilustres y preclaros salvaterrenses, Presidente Honorario de nuestra . . . — Map (db m117445) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Church and Former Convent of San BuenaventuraRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Templo y Ex Convento de San Buenaventura (Templo de San Francisco)Los primeros religiosos en llegar al Valle de Huatzindeo (o Guatzindeo), fueron los franciscanos, que provenían de comunidades ubicadas en Acámbaro, a finales del siglo . . . — Map (db m117468) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Diocesan Shrine of Nuestra Señora de La LuzRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Santuario Diocesano de Nuestra Señora de La LuzEste templo, fue construido entre 1744 y 1808. El Altar Mayor es obra del famoso arquitecto Francisco Eduardo Tres Guerras, quien diseñó templos en muchas ciudades de Guanajuato. También . . . — Map (db m117415) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Portal JuárezRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Portal JuárezEl edificio fue construido en 1743, cuando los carmelitas pidieron a la corona que se les autorizara la creación de un beaterio, el cual estuvo originalmente en un edificio anexo al templo. Con el tiempo, este edificio fue . . . — Map (db m117466) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — The Battle of the Bridge of Batan
A. Junta Patriotica de 1890 Dedica este recuerdo a los mártires de la Independencia sacrificados aqui el dia 18 de abril de 1813. English translation: The Patriotic Board of 1890 Dedicate this to the memory of the . . . — Map (db m117435) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Santo Tomás de Huatzindeo — Former Hacienda of Santo Tomás de HuatzindeoRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Ex Hacienda de Santo Tomás de Huatzindeo La Hacienda de Santo Tomás de Huatzindeo estuvo entre las más importantes de la región de Salvatierra. Junto con las de San Nicolás de los Agustinos, Maravatío del Encinal y San José del . . . — Map (db m117536) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Santo Tomás de Huatzindeo — José de Jesús del Valle
R. P. Canonigo Misionero D. Jose de Jesus del Valle Nacio 24 de junio 1888 en el Estado de Jalisco y fue fundador de este Santuario de Ntra Señora de la Inmaculada Concepcion de este lugar Sto. Tomas Huatzindeo English . . . — Map (db m117554) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Valle de Santiago), Valle de Santiago — Hidalgo Stayed Here
En esta casa se alojo El Sr. Cura Hidalgo la noche del 11 de octubre de 1810. H. Ayuntamiento 1952-1954 English translation: In this house stayed the Priest Hidalgo the night of October 11, 1810. Honorable City . . . — Map (db m117269) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta de Montes — Botanical Garden of CadereytaCadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Jardín BotánicoEl jardin Botánico Regional de Cadereyta "Ing. Manuel González de Cosío”, es una institución educativa y recreativa dedicada al campo experimental con fines científicos; contando con diferentes especies del género . . . — Map (db m117333) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta de Montes — Monument to Ezequiel Montes (1820-1883)Cadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Monumento al Lic. Ezequiel Montes (1820-1883) En la Villa de Cadereyta el 25 de Noviembre de 1820 nace el Lic. José María Trinidad Ezequiel de Jesús Montes Ledesma quien es reconocido como un gran político, liberal, jurista, orador . . . — Map (db m117318) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta de Montes — Observing the Yucca ForestEstación 6
Observando el bosque de las yucas Un sitio histórico y un paisaje bucólico. Hacia el horizonte, al fondo del Área Silvestre se entrevé “El Palmarcito” o “Bosque de Yucas”, una plantación establecida hace más de . . . — Map (db m117335) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Cadereyta de Montes), Cadereyta de Montes — Temple of the Most Pure ConceptionCadereyta de Montes - Pueblo Mágico
Templo de la Purísima ConcepciónInmueble del Siglo XVIII construido por la orden de Frailes Menores Franciscanos para venerar la imagen de la Viren en su advocación de la Purísima Concepción. Durante el Siglo XIX las religiosas del . . . — Map (db m117340) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Ezequiel Montes), Ezequiel Montes — Ezequiel Montes
A Don Ezequiel Montes Ilustre Queretano Quien con su pensamiento Liberal, tomo parte en la formación de la Republica. Orgullosamente este Procer Ciudad lleva su nombre en el centenario de su muerte El pueblo y el H. Ayuntamiento le . . . — Map (db m117315) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Ezequiel Montes), Ezequiel Montes — Miguel Hidalgo y C.
Miguel Hidalgo y C. Al Padre de la Patria y a todos los que con el hicieron posible la libertad que hoy disfrutamos. English translation: Miguel Hidalgo y C. To the Father of the Nation and to all those that with him . . . — Map (db m117308) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Ezequiel Montes), Ezequiel Montes — The Parish of Divine Providence
Parroquia de la Divina Providencia Fue construída entre los años 1959 y 1967, su arquitectura es contemporánea, el material con el que principalmente esta edificada es laja rosa. Se construyó en honor a la Divina Providencia, aunque ha . . . — Map (db m117305) HM
Samoa, Tuamasaga, Apia — Samoa Born Soldiers and Sailors of the Great War
Roll of Honour of Samoa born Sailors & Soldiers Who fought for the Allies in The Great War 1914-1918 Allen F. K. Lieut. R.N.R. · *Allen T. “ R.F.C. · Doughty M. “ N.Z.E.F. · Westbrook E. Sergt.-Mjr. · Allen R. H. Sergt. · . . . — Map (db m117400) WM
United Kingdom, England (Buckinghamshire), Milton Keynes — Bletchley Park Public Memorial
This Public Memorial For the Veterans of Bletchley Park and Its Outstations was Dedicated By Her Majesty The Queen On July the Fifteenth 2011 — Map (db m117290) WM
United Kingdom, England (Buckinghamshire), Milton Keynes — Code Breaking at Bletchley Park
IEEE Milestone In Electrical Engineering and Computing Code-breaking at Bletchley Park during World War II, 1939-1945 On this site during the 1939-45 World War, 12,000 men and women broke the German Lorenz and Enigma ciphers, as well as . . . — Map (db m117288) HM
United Kingdom, England (Buckinghamshire), Milton Keynes — Hut 1 Hut 8
Hut 1 The first Bombe machine was installed in this hut. It was brought here in March 1940 to test whether it could help Codebreakers discover Enigma settings more quickly than by hand. Hut 8 Hut 8 was the centre of naval codebreaking. Here . . . — Map (db m117289) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Children of the Kindertransport
In gratitude to the people of Britain for saving the lives of 10,000 unaccompanied mainly Jewish children who fled from Nazi persecution in 1938 and 1939. “Whosoever rescues a single soul is credited as though they had saved the whole . . . — Map (db m117258) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Crane CourtThe Daily Courant
Wednesday, 11th March 1702 The first edition of the Daily Courant was published in Fleet Street, Britain's first daily newspaper. — Map (db m117367) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — First Bethlehem Hospital
Site Of The First Bethlehem Hospital 1247 — 1676 — Map (db m117260) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Hope Square
. . . — Map (db m117259) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Red Lion CourtW Caslon Junr     Letter Founder
In 1816, William Caslon IV produced the first sans-serif printing type, popularised by printers like R. Taylor, who worked in this court. — Map (db m117429) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St. Botolph-without-Bishopsgate
Welcome to St Botolph without Bishopsgate This garden combines the churchyard of St Botolph without Bishopsgate and land donated by the Common Council in 1760. The current church dates from 1725-8, and escaped with little damage during the second . . . — Map (db m117261) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Grand Lodge of English Freemasons
Near this site the Grand Lodge of English Freemasons first met in 1717 — Map (db m117354) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Palace of Bridewell
Here stood the Palace of Bridewell built by Henry VIII in 1523 and granted by Edward VI in 1553 to the City of London to house Bridewell Royal Hospital founded by Royal Charter in the same year. The present building was erected in 1802 and in 1862 . . . — Map (db m117352) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — “Swiss Court”
On 15 April 1991, on the occasion of the Swiss Confederation, the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Westminster, Councillor David Avery named this area “Swiss Court” as a token of the lasting friendship between Switzerland and the . . . — Map (db m117772) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Captain James Cook
R.N.   F.R.S. Born 1728     Died 1779 Circumnavigator of the Globe · Explorer of the Pacific Ocean · He laid the Foundations of The British Empire in Austrailia and New Zealand Charted the Shores of Newfoundland and Traversed the Ocean Gates . . . — Map (db m117785) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Charing Cross
The Charing Cross Monument is modeled on an early midieval commemorative cross erected by King Edward I for his Queen Eleanor I of Castile (1246-90). Twelve crosses marked the journey of her funeral cortege from Harby near Lincoln where she died, . . . — Map (db m117766) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Don Arden and “Small Faces”
Impresario Don Arden And Mod Band “Small Faces” (Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane, Kenny Jones, Ian McLagan and Jimmy Winston) Worked Here 1965-1967 — Map (db m117770) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Duke of York Column
Frederick Duke of York 1763 — 1827 Second Son of George III Commander-in-Chief of the British Army — Map (db m117787) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Franklin
Franklin To the Great Arctic Navigator And His Brave Companions Who Sacrificed Their Lives in Completing The Discovery of the North West Passage A.D. 1847-8 Erected By the Unanimous Vote of Parliament ( south side ) Her . . . — Map (db m117745) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Glockenspiel
Glockenspiel with 27 bells, a musical automaton clock and a procession of herdsmen and their animals ascending the alpine meadows. Dedicated in 1985 by the people of the Confederation of Switzerland and of the Principality of Liechtenstein to . . . — Map (db m117773) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Henry Irving
Henry Irving Actor Born 1838 · Died 1905 · Knight · Litt D Dublin · D Litt Cambridge · Ll D Glasgow · Erected by English Actors and Actresses and by Others Connected with the theatre in this country — Map (db m117784) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — P&O
The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company - known today as P&O - grew from a partnership between an Englishman, Brodie McGhie Willcox and a Shetlander, Arthur Anderson. In 1837 their Peninsular Steam shipping service between England and . . . — Map (db m117788) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Royal Marines MemorialGraspan Memorial —   South Africa China
Erected by the Officers and Men of the Royal Marines In Memory of Their Comrades who were Killed In Action Or Died of Wounds or Disease In South Africa and China 1899 - 1900 ( rear plaque ) South Africa Major J.H. . . . — Map (db m117786) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir Joshua Reynolds
Sir Joshua Reynolds 1723-1792 Portrait Painter lived and died in a house on this site — Map (db m117783) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Hampton Site
The Hampton Site In the sixteenth century this site adjoined the Royal Mews and was an area of stables and coach houses. Whitcomb Street was known as Hedge Lane. The Duke of Monmouth owned property here and gave his name to Monmouth Court which . . . — Map (db m117769) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — William ShakespeareLeicester Square
This enclosure was purchased, laid out and decorated as a garden by Albert Grant Esqre M.P. and conveyed by him on the 2nd July 1874 to the Metropolitan Board of Works to be preserved for ever for the free use and enjoyment of the public. — Map (db m117782) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Father Basil Jellicoe
Father Basil Jellicoe 1899-1935 Housing Reformer

Created housing for the community replacing the slums of Somers Town — Map (db m117430) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — St. Pancras Old Church
St. Pancras Old Church stands on one of Europe's most ancient sites of Christian worship, possibly dating back to the early 4th Century. The present building has been here since the 11th or 12th Century and is situated close to the River Fleet, . . . — Map (db m117417) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Tower Bridge Control Cabin
When it was first built, Tower Bridge was controlled from two cabins, situated on the east side of each pier. These were originally built of wood, but were replaced with stone structures after World War II. Since 1962, due to the decline in river . . . — Map (db m117761) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — A place of execution
Over 400 years, 112 people were executed on Tower Hill watched by crowds of eager spectators. The last execution was in 1747, when many spectators were injured in the crush to watch the beheading of the Scottish rebel Lord Lovat. The . . . — Map (db m117328) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — A Royal River View
The 13th-century palace was built along the shore of the River Thames. Henry III and, later, his son Edward I would have been able to look out of their windows and see a fine river view. Between 1275 and 1285 Edward built the outer-curtain wall, . . . — Map (db m117422) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — British 25 Pounder Field Gun, 1943
Introduced in 1939, the 25 Pounder was the most numerous and famous British artillery gun of the Second World War. A 25 Pounder last fired on active service with the Special Air Service at Mirbat, Oman in 1972. The example displayed here was a . . . — Map (db m117668) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bronze 24-pounder Cannon
Weighing 5 ¾ tons (5842 kg), this gun was commissioned by order of St John. Its decoration includes heraldic devices, bands of cupids and vines, and St Michael overthrowing Satan. Brought from Malta to England around 1800, it was transferred from . . . — Map (db m117699) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bronze 6-pounder Gun and Carriage
This is engraved with the monogram of King George III and that of Charles, 1st Marquess Cornwallis, Master General of the Ordinance 1795-1801. British, Woolwich, dated 1798, cast by John & Henry King. Carriage later — Map (db m117697) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bronze Fortress Gun
This massive fortress gun is believed to have been captured by British forces from the forts guarding Canton during the Second China War (1856-61). It was brought to Britain as a trophy by HMS Nankin. It was formerly displayed at Upnor Castle, . . . — Map (db m117424) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bronze Gun
Cast by the founder Mohammed ibn Hamza for the Sultan Sulaiman ibn Salim Khan, this gun was intended for a Turkish expedition to India to expel the Portuguese colonists. Captured at Aden in 1839 by Captain H Smith of HMS Volage and displayed at . . . — Map (db m117423) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Captured CannonGun Glossary
These bronze muzzle-loading guns form part of the Waterloo Battery, a set of eight guns captured and brought to the Tower by the Duke of Wellington after the battle of Waterloo in 1815. They fired a solid iron cannonball propelled by the . . . — Map (db m117667)
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Cast iron 12-pounder Gun
Formerly used as a bollard on Tower Hill. British, about 1800, cast by William Churchill — Map (db m117753) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — City of London Tower Bridge
City of London Tower Bridge The main towers, high level walkways and the machine rooms under the southern approach of this bridge were opened to the public on 30th June 1982 by the Rt. Hon. The Lord Mayor Sir Christopher Leaver, G.B.E., D. Mus., . . . — Map (db m117758) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — City of London Tower Bridge
City of London Tower Bridge Constructed and maintained by the Corporation of London from the Bridge House Estates Trust without charge upon Public Funds. The installation of the electrical machinery for raising the bascules replacing the original . . . — Map (db m117759) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Coldharbour Gate tower and Innermost Ward wall
The Coldharbour Gate foundations and this ruined wall are all that survive of the formidable late-1230s defences built by Henry III to protect his royal palace. Coldharbour was later used as a prison, though it wasn't escape-proof. Alice . . . — Map (db m117670) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Corporation of London Tower Bridge
Corporation of London Tower Bridge This Plaque Records the Visit on the Centenary Of Tower Bridge Thursday 30th June 1994 By His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, K.G., K.T., G.C.B., A.K., Q.S.O.A.D.C. In the Presence Of The Right . . . — Map (db m117757) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Edward I’s formidable fortress
By 1281 Edward I had swept aside his father Henry III's moat and entrance and replaced them with new, more sophisticated versions. He ringed Henry III's outer wall with another, making the Tower a concentric castle. Begun in 1275, the moat . . . — Map (db m117324) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Entering the fortress
By 1281 Edward I had completed the Tower's formidable new land entrance. Two huge stone gate towers and a semi-circular barbican (now demolished) were linked by causeways defended with drawbridges. These massive fortifications, bristling . . . — Map (db m117330) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Historic Royal Palaces
Historic Royal Palaces This Plaque Commemorates the Reopening of Tower Hill As a Place for Public Enjoyment by Her Majesty The Queen 9 July 2004 The Project Was Supported By The Heritage Lottery Fund The Pool of London Partnership . . . — Map (db m117326) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — History beneath your feet
In 1389 Geoffrey Chaucer, poet and Royal Clerk of the Works, ordered the construction of this part of the Tower Wharf. 64 years later gun foundries and workshops were added. In 1803 a factory was built here to make hand-guns for the war against . . . — Map (db m117752) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 12 pounder Gun
This gun was cast by Samuel Walker & Company of Rotherham, Yorkshire, and it bears the monogram of King George III. For many years it was used in the Tower as a lamp post. British, about 1800 — Map (db m117679) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 12 pounder Gun
This [gun] was probably cast by in Sussex by John Fuller II or III and it bears the monogram of King George II. British, about 1745 — Map (db m117682) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 13-inch Mortar
Probably one of the large artillery pieces made in England for export to the Venetian Republic in 1684. In 1716 the Venetians used such mortars to defend the island of Corfu against Turkish attacks. The chase bears in relief the Lion of St. mark, . . . — Map (db m117751) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 13-inch Mortar and Bed
Cast in one with its base, probably intended for sea service or coast defence. Spanish or French, mid 18th century, and initialled GS. Possibly cast at the Saint Gervais foundry, France — Map (db m117750) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 24 pounder Guns
These two guns were probably cast by John Fuller III at Heathfield, Sussex and proved at Woolwich in July 1747. They were part of a series of guns for the Irish Government and copied a much earlier design. British, 1747 — Map (db m117672) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 24-pounder Howitzer and Carriage
This howitzer is mounted on its original iron garrison carriage. British about 1850, cast by Henckell & Company, Wandsworth, London — Map (db m117695) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 32 pounder Gun
This gun bears the monogram of King George II. It was recovered by the divers John and Charles Anthony Dean in 1834 from the wreck of the flagship HMS Royal George, which sank at her moorings at Spithead, off Portsmouth, Hampshire in 1782. . . . — Map (db m117675) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 32 pounder Gun
. . . — Map (db m117681) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 36 pounder Guns
These two guns formed part of the armament of a French ship captured by Earl Howe’s fleet during his victory off Ushant, Holland on the ‘Glorious First of June’ 1794. French, dated 1787 — Map (db m117674) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 36-pounder Howitzer and Carriage
A Crimean War trophy, captured at Sebastopol in 1855. This bears the Russian Imperial arms in relief and is mounted on a Venglov pattern 1853 carriage. Russian, about 1840-50 — Map (db m117696) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 9-pounder Cannon
This cannon was formerly used as a bollard on Tower Wharf. British, early 18th century — Map (db m117694) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Iron 9-pounder Gun
Formerly used as a bollard on Tower Hill, a practice that started as early as the seventeenth century. England, about 1700, probably cast at the Ashburnham foundry, Sussex — Map (db m117700) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Memorial Stone
This Memorial Stone was laid by H.R.H. Albert Edward, Prince of Wales. K.G. On behalf of Her Majesty Queen Victoria. Monday June 21st. 1886. in the 50th Year of Her Majesty’s long happy and prosperous reign. The Right Hon. John Staples. . . . — Map (db m117754) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Nordenfelt Gun
Captured by the 2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers Gallipoli, 25 April 1915 — Map (db m117701) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — On Guard
The sentry is part of a military guard stationed here to provide protection for the Crown Jewels. The military guard comes from an operational unit of the Armed Forces that is currently employed on ceremonial duties. On duty today   The . . . — Map (db m117662) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Royal Logistic Corps Departure
This plaque commemorates the departure, in December 1994, of the Royal Logistics corps. The last representative of the Military Branch of the Ordinance office, whose association with the fortress dates back to the early 15th century — Map (db m117698) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Saluting Battery
Cannon have been fired in celebration from Tower Wharf for centuries. Henry VIII marked the coronation of his second wife, Anne Boleyn, with a cannon salute. On your right is the battery where modern guns are fired today to commemorate royal . . . — Map (db m117358) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Strengthening the fortress
The Tower was often used as a refuge by kings in trouble and Henry III was no exception. He retreated here in 1238 and, horrified by the castle's out-of-date defences, ordered a mighty fortified gateway built. The gateway was north of . . . — Map (db m117323) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Tea on Tower Hill
Conflict between a commercial need for tall buildings and the public desire to protect the Tower's views began in the 1860s. The multi-storey ‘Mazawattee’ tea warehouse was built on the edge of Tower Hill, controversially blocking the view of the . . . — Map (db m117329) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Bell Tower
The curfew bell has rung from this tower for centuries; the current bell dates from 1651. The tower, and the wall next to it, were built during the reign of Richard I (1189-99) and once stood on the edge of the river. It is thought that Sir Thomas . . . — Map (db m117420) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Byward Postern
This area is a gateway that links the tower to the Thames waterfront on the wharf. It was a private entrance where important people and goods were brought into the Tower. Coins and bullion would also have been brought through here and into the . . . — Map (db m117361) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The coronation procession
On 20 February 1547, the 9 year old son of Henry VIII rode out from the Tower in a grand procession. Cheering crowds lined the route to Westminster Abbey where he was crowned Edward VI. Young Edward VI was following a tradition which lasted . . . — Map (db m117331) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The fortress extends
Beneath your feet lie the ancient remains of Edward IV's bulwark. In 1480 he paid to construct this huge addition to the castle's defences which was designed to defend against artillery power. In the 15th century, two rival dynasties fought . . . — Map (db m117327) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Lost Palace
In the 13th century, the Medieval Palace consisted of much more than the two towers you have just visited. The empty area in front of the White Tower is known as the Inmost Ward. Henry III had the White Tower whitened for the first time in 1241, . . . — Map (db m117421) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Queen’s Stairs
Important visitors would have entered the castle here, at one of its three riverside entrances. Kings, queens and high ranking state visitors would have stepped off their boats and climbed the Queen's Stairs in their finery on to the wharf. . . . — Map (db m117357) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The royal menagrie leaves
Since the reign of King John (1199-1216) monarchs had kept exotic beasts at the Tower. However, by 1831-2 it had become impractical to keep the menagerie here and it was moved to Regent's Park to establish London Zoo. The animals were gifts . . . — Map (db m117332) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Tower Hill Memorial
The Twenty Four Thousand of the Merchant Navy and Fishing Fleets Whose Names Are Honoured on the Walls of This Garden Gave Their Lives For Their Country and Have No Grave But the Sea — Map (db m117320) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Tower Hill MemorialFirst World War
The CWGC commemorates the dead of British and Commonwealth forces of the two World Wars at cemeteries and memorials in over 150 countries. The Tower Hill Memorial bears the names of 12,000 First World War merchant seamen who have no known . . . — Map (db m117321) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Tower Hill MemorialSecond World War extension
The Tower Hill Memorial extension bears the names of almost 24,000 men and women who died in the Second World War and have no known grave, their bodies lost or buried at sea. During the war, the merchant Navy risked attack from submarine, air . . . — Map (db m117322) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Tower in 1700
By the 18th century the view of the castle was very different. Towers were heightened with brick, and gun platforms were added, bristling with cannon. Rooftops of houses, storehouses and workshops peeped over the outer walls. The Tower was . . . — Map (db m117325) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Tower of London foreshore
William the Conqueror began the Tower of London close to the riverside, to stop invaders coming up the Thames. The foreshore was originally an open beach, but as London developed, wharves and warehouses were built to serve its growing trading . . . — Map (db m117356) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Tower Wharf
This wharf was built in the 13th and 14th centuries to allow ships to dock next to the fortress. Where you are standing now would have been busy and bustling with people loading and unloading ships with weapons and military supplies. From the . . . — Map (db m117359) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Waterloo Barracks
On 15 June 1845, the Duke of Wellington, hero of the Battle of Waterloo and Constable of the Tower, laid the foundation stone of these barracks, named after his greatest victory. Built to house up to 1,000 soldiers, the barracks were designed by . . . — Map (db m117659) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Waterloo BatteryWeapons to Trophies
These bronze 6-pounder guns were captured at the battle of Waterloo on 18 June 1815. They are individually named and were cast in various parts of Napoleon's European Empire n 1813. The Duke of Wellington, who commanded the anglo-allied army at . . . — Map (db m117660) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The White Tower and Roman City Wall
The Roman invaders under Emperor Claudius founded London and later built a wall around the city. This is the site of one of the turrets, a small tower that marked a change in the direction of the wall. The Romans later replaced the turret with a . . . — Map (db m117656) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The White Tower and Royal Armouries
William the Conqueror began building his great keep, known as the White Tower in the 1070s, and it was probably finished by his sons. They built the White Tower on this spot to frighten invaders arriving from the river and to intimidate the . . . — Map (db m117655) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Tower Bridge
This Bridge was opened by H.R.H., The Prince of Wales, K.G. on behalf of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, on Saturday the 30th June 1894 in the presence of H.R.H., The Princess of Wales, H.R.H., The Duke of York, K.G., and other members . . . — Map (db m117760) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Western entrance
From here you can see surviving parts of the 13th-century main entrance to the Tower. Built for Edward I by 1281, the Middle Tower and Byward Tower were linked by a drawbridge and causeway spanning a water-filled moat. The area below you is now . . . — Map (db m117360) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Wharfinger Cottage
There has been a cottage on this site for at least 200 years. Originally, it was the home of the Controller of the Tower Wharf, known as the Wharfinger. Until the late 19th century, the Wharf was a busy dockside. Weapons, gunpowder and other . . . — Map (db m117355) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — White Tower and the Two Princes
The skeletons of two boys were found hidden under this staircase, when a building protecting the entrance to the White Tower was demolished in 1674. Many people, including Charles II believed that they were the remains of two who disappeared in . . . — Map (db m117657) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Airy’s meridian line
George Biddell Airy, seventh Astronomer Royal, commissioned the enormous telescope that still defines the Prime Meridian and is situated in the building ahead of you. Observations made here were used by cartographers, surveyors, navigators and . . . — Map (db m117709) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Bellot Memorial
To The Intrepid Young Bellot Of the French Navy Who in the Endeavour to Rescue Franklin Shared the Fate and the Glory Of that Illustrious Navigator From His British Admirers 1853 — Map (db m117744) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Bradley’s meridian line
James Bradley, third Astronomer Royal, observed with improved accuracy using the telescope (purchased in 1749) that first defined this line in 1750. Owing to the unequal length of solar days, astronomers measure the time using distant stars. Stars . . . — Map (db m117741) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Byer’s improved stockless anchor, 1953
This is one of the two main anchors from Ark Royal, the Royal Navy's last conventional aircraft carrier. Updated during her life with the addition of steam catapults, mirror landing gear and an angled flight deck, she was able to operate . . . — Map (db m117747) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Dedication Plaque of Flamsteed House
The most noble King Charles II, greatest patron of the arts of Astronomy and Navigation, had this Observatory built to serve both arts. In the year of our Lord 1676, in the twenty-eighth year of his reign. Jonas Moore, Surveyor General of the . . . — Map (db m117739) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Family Tombstone of Edmund Halley
The Family Tombstone of Edmond Halley (1656-1742) 2nd Astronomer Royal, 1720-42 The tombstone was moved to the Observatory from the churchyard of St Margaret's in Lee when Halley's tomb was restored by the Lord Commissioners of the Admiralty in . . . — Map (db m117738) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Flamsteed’s Well Telescope
John Flamsteed, the first Astronomer Royal at Greenwich, used a 100-foot (30.5m) well on this site to accommodate a very long telescope. The astronomer sat at the bottom of the well and observed stars that passed directly overhead. It was hoped . . . — Map (db m117705) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Greenwich Meridian Marker, 1750-1851
This pillar was built in 1798 to help astronomers align the Observatory's meridian telescope in the building behind you. This telescope defined what was then the Greenwich Meridian established in 1750 and was kept accurately positioned by sighting . . . — Map (db m117740) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Hall’s improved stockless anchor, 1963
The stockless anchor was developed to avoid the difficult and labour-intensive task of stowing Admiralty-pattern anchors. Stockless anchors can be hauled right up into the hawse-pipe with the flukes close against the ship's side. Hall's patent . . . — Map (db m117746) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — New Zealand Memorial
This Monument Is Erected By The Surviving Officers And Men In The Memory Of Their Comrades Who Fell In Action In New Zealand During The Years 1863-1864 — Map (db m117748) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Ordnance Survey Bench MarkPublic Standards of Length
Ordnance Survey Bench Mark The small plate (marked ‘G1692’) is an Ordnance Survey bench mark. Similar marks appear on walls and buildings across the country. The height of each above sea level has been measured and recorded. Dating from the . . . — Map (db m117704) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — The Greenwich Meridian Telescope
Behind the window is the telescope which defines the Greenwich Meridian, the transit circle of 1850 designed by 7th Astronomer Royal, George Airy. It was the centre-line of this instrument which was adopted by an international conference in . . . — Map (db m117742) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — The Royal Observatory
Welcome to the Royal Observatory, the historic home of British astronomy, Greenwich Mean Time and the Prime Meridian of the world. King Charles II signed a Royal Warrant in June 1675 to authorize building the Royal Observatory on the . . . — Map (db m117707) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — The Shepherd 24-hour Gate ClockThe Time Ball
The Shepherd 24-hour Gate Clock This is one of the earliest electrically driven public clocks and was installed here in 1852. The dial always shows Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). In summer Britain converts to British Summer Time (BST), which is . . . — Map (db m117703) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Time for everyone
The Royal Observatory is famous for supplying Greenwich Mean Time. From 1833, astronomers made a daily signal to mariners in the Thames at 1 p.m. (1300 hrs) by raising and dropping the time-ball on Flamsteed House. In 1852 electrical technology . . . — Map (db m117708) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Turkish Bronze Gun
This Turkish bronze gun was cast in 1790-91 (AH1212), in the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Selim III. It weighs 5.2 tonnes, fired stone shot just over 56 kilos and is one of two taken by Admiral Sir John Duckworth from Kinali Island in the sea of . . . — Map (db m117749) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — William Herschel’s Telescope
This is the remaining section of a 40-foot (12m) reflecting telescope, built for the astronomer William Herschel, who became famous for his discovery of the planet Uranus in 1781. the telescope was the largest in the world and cost over £4000, . . . — Map (db m117706) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Wolfe
. . . — Map (db m117702) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Yuri Gagarin
Yuri Gagarin (1934-68) Statue by Anatoly Novikov On 12 April 1961 the Russian cosmonaut, Yuri Gargarin, became the first human being to travel into space. In 2011, to mark the 50th anniversary of Gagarin's flight, the Russian Space Agency, . . . — Map (db m117743) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Alabama's Coastal ConnectionBlessing of the Fleet
The Blessing of the Fleet is a tradition that began centuries ago in Mediterranean fishing communities. The practice is predominantly Catholic, though sometimes Episcopalian, and a blessing from the local priest is meant to ensure a safe and . . . — Map (db m117257) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Bayou La Batre
Founded in 1786 by Joseph Bouzage (Bosarge), Bayou La Batre was incorporated in 1955. The local seafood industry in this seafaring town serves as a centerpiece for the Discovery Channel's series, Big Shrimping. In addition, the city was . . . — Map (db m117254) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Bayou La Batre
Originally called "Reviere D'Erbane," the bayou acquired present name from French-maintained battery of artillery on West Bank for defense. First permanent settlement on south Mobile County mainland. Founded 1786 when Joseph Bouzage (Bosarge), . . . — Map (db m117256) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Bayou La Batre, Alabama
The stream near the site, known as Bayou la Batre, was known during the period of French occupation as "Riviere d'Erbane," then as "Rivere la batterie" because of the French artillery battery located on its banks. The town's name consists of bayou, . . . — Map (db m117255) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception / Archdiocese of Mobile
Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception Parish established in 1703 by John-Baptiste del la Croix, Bishop of Québec, while Mobile served as capital of Louisiana. Oldest religious congregation of any denomination in Alabama and the . . . — Map (db m117246) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Government Street Presbyterian Church
Founded, with 21 members, in 1831, by Rev. John B. Warren. This sanctuary erected 1834. Designated by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior as one of America's historic buildings. Presbyterian mother church for Southern Alabama. — Map (db m116964) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — It Takes a Village
(front side) Mobile’s Hidden Figures initiative originated from the Mobile United Leadership Mobile’s Class of 2017 inaugural Diversity and Inclusion team. The objective is to raise awareness of diverse community members . . . — Map (db m117243) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Second Fort Conde Ruin
. . . — Map (db m117253) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
(front side) The origin of this Cathedral was established on July 20, 1703, by Jean-Baptiste de La Croix de Chevrieres de Saint Vallier, Bishop of Quebec at Fort Louis de la Mobile, the city’s first permanent settlement. The Bishop also . . . — Map (db m117245) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Lee County Confederate Monument — General Robert E. Lee
South face  “Fidelis Fortissimus.” 1861 1865 Erected by D. G. Govan Chapter U. D. C. In loving memory, of Lee County's Confederate Soldiers. ______ "No braver bled for a brighter land . . . — Map (db m117504) WM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Lee County War Memorial
East Side Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his country. Dedicated by the citizens of Lee County to those who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of their country. North Side Korean War . . . — Map (db m117251) WM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Marianna ArkansasDedicated to Pioneer Families of Marianna
Marianna named in honor of Maryann Martin Harland Town established 1858 A.D. Incorporated Oct. 24, 1870 A.D. 1870 Agriculture, Timber Population 165 1970 Agriculture, Industry Population 6215 — Map (db m117262) HM
Arkansas (Monroe County), Brinkley — Louis JordanSounds from the Soil & Soul — Arkansas Delta Music Trail
Louis Jordan, born July 8, 1908, in Brinkley, Arkansas, was one of the state's brightest musical stars, ruling the rhythm and blues charts of the World War II era with hits like "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie," "Let the Good Times Roll," "Is You Is or . . . — Map (db m117265) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Jacksonville — Brother Against BrotherUnion and Confederate Missourians Fight at Bayou Meto
Missouri, a border state, never seceded from the Union but her people were nevertheless divided and tens of thousands of Missourians wore both blue and gray between 1861 and 1865. Missouri is credited with supplying 109,111 men to Union forces, of . . . — Map (db m117264) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — River Traffic
Ferries: Early ferry services were established as a ford on the Southwest Trail at "the point of rocks" between 1812 and 1819. Eventually, there were ferries in at least three locations serving the city, one just above the Old State House, . . . — Map (db m117432) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Settlements
While the Quapaw Indians could be said to "own" the land which is the Riverfront Park, their villages were actually along the Arkansas River between the "point of rocks" and the Mississippi River. However, the Imbeau, Bartholomew, and Coussatt . . . — Map (db m117431) HM
Arkansas (Woodruff County), Augusta — Woodruff County War Memorial
In honor of all the valiant men and women of Woodruff Co. who defended their ideals and served their country during time of war. Your sacrifice will never be forgotten — Map (db m117719) WM
California (Inyo County), Panamint Springs — Skidoo Pipeline
The Skidoo Pipeline can be seen either north or south of this location. The pipeline, which ran from Birch Spring in Jail Canyon to the millsite 23 miles away, was completed in 1907 at a cost of $250,000. — Map (db m117628) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — First Baptist Church
The First Baptist Church was completed under the supervision of local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882 - 1946) in 1932. The building, designed in the Northern Italian Romanesque architectural style, is described in the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m117418) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Hayden Building
The Hayden Building is a classic example of Second Renaissance Revival architectural style. It was designed for the Kern County Land Company by San Francisco architect Charles I. Haven (1849-1916) and opened in 1904 as the Hayden Furniture Company. . . . — Map (db m117419) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — 129 — Fort Tejon
This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and for the protection of Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important . . . — Map (db m117523) HM
California (Los Angeles), Palmdale — William J. "Pete" Knight1929-2004 — F-100 Super Sabre
William J. "Pete" Knight (November 18, 1929 – my 8, 2004) was a combat pilot, test pilot, Astronaut, and US politician. Knight holds the world’s speed record for flight in a winged powered aircraft. Knight enlisted in the United States . . . — Map (db m117152) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 40 — Hale House, Circa 1887Heritage Square
A superb example of the Queen Anne - Eastlake Style. Restored through the devotion of thousands of admirers. — Map (db m117173) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 65 — Valley Knudsen Garden ResidenceHeritage Square
A 19th Century Mansard Style "Petite Chateau" - A gracious reminder of French influence in Los Angeles. — Map (db m117244) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra Heights — The Original Hass Avocado Tree
Through its progeny, this tree, planted in 1926 by Rudolph Hass, has played an important role in the development of the California avocado industry. — Map (db m117267) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Red HillCity of Rancho Cucamonga Historic Point of Interest
This site sits at the base of the prominent Red Hill Landmark. The early historic importance of the property stems from its proximity to a reliable water source, Cucamonga Creek, and to its location on the major roadway between Los Angeles and San . . . — Map (db m117755) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — J.D. & A.B. Spreckels Building
Coronado Historical Landmark Built 1917 J.D. & A.B. Spreckels Dedicated 1974 — Map (db m117482) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — James B. Stockdale
Vice Admiral Stockdale was awarded the Nation’s highest military decoration, the Medal of Honor, in recognition of his extraordinary heroism, conspicuous gallantry, and unparalleled leadership as senior Naval Officer held as a prisoner of war in . . . — Map (db m117459) HM WM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — The Naked WarriorArtist: John Seward Johnson II
This World War II combat swimmer commemorates the U.S. Navy’s underwater demolition (UDT) and Sea, Air, Land (SEAL) teams. They have trained and have been based in Coronado since 1946. These “Naked Warriors” swam unarmed onto heavily . . . — Map (db m117453) HM WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Propellers from Klamath
The ferryboat Klamath was built in San Francisco in 1925 and often operated out of Hyde Street Pier. These steel propellers were taken off when she was converted to office space in 1964. Both propellers show signs of cavitation, which occurs . . . — Map (db m117351) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Connecticut State Veterans MemorialHonoring Those Who Served
[Armed Forces Seals]

[List of Major US Wars] — Map (db m117433) WM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Elbert Weinberg Abstract Untitled SculptureArt For All

This sculpture by Elbert Weinberg was commissioned by The Hartford Courant as part of a program initiated by Northeast magazine to bring works by distinguished Connecticut artists into the public domain. The abstract composition is made of . . . — Map (db m117425) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Rodman "Columbiad" Cannon

Distinguished by its clean lines and notched, flat breech, this 10-inch cannon was developed by U.S. Army Ordinance [sic - Ordnance] Lieutenant (later Major) Thomas J. Rodman. It was cast at Fort Pitt, Pennsylvania in 1862, carries serial . . . — Map (db m117436) HM

District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Indonesian Embassy/Walsh-McLean MansionHistoric Site, Washington, DC — 2020 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Tycoon/philanthropist Thomas Francis Walsh built this 60-room, neo-Baroque mansion in 1903. An Irish immigrant who as a young man had struck it rich mining gold in Colorado, Walsh (1850-1910) brought his wife, Carrie Bell Walsh, and children to . . . — Map (db m117414) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Smithsonian National Zoo — Black and Gray SquirrelsA historic tale of animal rescue — Backyard Biology
"We ask every American to lend a hand to save Silver-Tail" -- William Temple Hornaday (1913) When the gray squirrel nearly disappeared The gray squirrel once was considered such a pest that bounties were put on it. In 1749, . . . — Map (db m117149) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Cantonment — Vacaria Baja
Home and ranch of Don Manuel Gonzalez was one-half mile east. Consisted of 1600 arpents conceded by Spanish Governor, José Masot, Dec. 22, 1817. On route of Andrew Jackson 1814, 1818 and in 1821, when General and Mrs. Jackson spent three weeks . . . — Map (db m117242) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Carrabelle — Crooked River Lighthouse History
The Crooked River Lighthouse, built in 1895, replaced three lighthouses on Dog Island that over the years were destroyed by storms. The lightstation grounds originally included a house for both the Keeper and the Assistant Keeper, and several . . . — Map (db m117427) HM
Florida (Martin County), Jensen Beach — The Mansion at Tuckahoe
Mt. Elizabeth and the surrounding property were purchased by explorer William Henry Racey in the late 1850's. In 1891, his son, Charles Racey, built a three-story wood-frame house on the mound for his family and started a pineapple and citrus . . . — Map (db m117570) HM
Florida (Saint Lucie County), Fort Pierce — Traces of an Early Indian VillageOld Fort Park - Fort Pierce
One of the largest and fiercest early Florida tribes, the Ais, consisted of several hundred thousand people, who lived in east central Florida prior to first contact with Ponce de Leon and the Spanish in 1513. The Ais territory ranged along the . . . — Map (db m117568) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Village of Fowltown
In this vicinity stood the Seminole village of Fowltown, scene of battle, Nov. 21, 1817, which marked the beginning of the First Seminole Indian War. The engagement resulted when Major Twiggs with 250 soldiers from Fort Scott attempted to arrest its . . . — Map (db m116793) HM
Idaho (Custer County), Stanley — Langer Monument
In memory of Charley J. Langer, District Forest Ranger, Challis National Forest, Pilot Captain Bill Kelly and Co-Pilot Arthur A. Crofts of the U.S. Army killed in an airplane crash April 5, 1943 near this point while searching for survivors of an . . . — Map (db m117661) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Arlington Heights — 116 W. Euclid
Built in 1859 by Elijah Amasa Allen. In 1888 Eugene Berbecker, foster son of E.A. Allen Became Owner. Berbecker Park is named in his honor. — Map (db m117510) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Arlington Heights — 609 N. Dunton
Built in 1865 by James Shirra. This same year he opened a Grist Mill at 102 N. Arlington Heights Road and Wing Street. — Map (db m117514) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Augustus Garrett
Early church leader and Chicago Mayor with his wife, Eliza whose gifts established Garrett Theological Seminary. — Map (db m117494) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Third Church BuildingOn This Corner
Third church building on this corner burned in the Great Chicago Fire, 1871. — Map (db m117477) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Washington BlockFrederick and Edward Baumann architects — 1873-74
At the time of its construction, in the aftermath of the Fire of 1871, this was one of the city's tallest buildings. Its limestone facades feature ornate Victorian-style details; its lobby includes a unique curving hardwood staircase. Structurally, . . . — Map (db m117493) HM
Illinois (Union County), Anna — King Neptune1942-1950 — Navy Mascot Pig
Raised by Patty Boner, West Frankfort; given to Navy recruiter Don Lingle, Anna; and auctioned by L. Oard Sitter, Anna around the State of Illinois for over $19,000,000 in WW II War Bonds — Map (db m117467) HM WM
Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — In Memory of The Soldiersof the 1st Regiment Kansas Colored Volunteers
who gave their lives in battle May 18, 1863 near Sherwood, Missouri Henry Aggleson Pvt Co F Greene Allen Pvt Co H John Booth Pvt Co H Edward Cockerell Pvt Co E William Grisby Pvt Co D Frank Haze Pvt Co F Milton Johnson Pvt Co I . . . — Map (db m116815) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Frontenac — Frontenac Veterans Honor Roll
Honoring All Who Served "We pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." The City of . . . — Map (db m117426) WM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Alfred Greenhouse, Sr. Homec. 1881
Large story and a half Acadian style residence built by Alfred Greenhouse and his wife Cecilia Bontempt. Greenhouse was a farmer, cattleman, landowner and hunter who often cared for cattle kept in the lowlands during the winter months. Indian . . . — Map (db m117693) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Holy Ghost Catholic Church1923
Frame structure with Greek Revival influence was built for the Black Catholic families of Marksville and staffed by the Holy Ghost Fathers. Rev. Fr. T.J. Nolan was the first pastor and this church was built by Rev. Fr. John Cooney. — Map (db m117651) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Marksville Race Track Sitec. 1890-1920
Marksvillians enjoyed horse racing on a hard earth track located on this site. A wood grandstand existed for visitor seating. Begun by Dr. Aristide Barbin who also organized a baseball field and golf course in this area. Dr. Barbin played on the . . . — Map (db m117463) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Spring BayouSpring Bayou Wildlife Management Area — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Spring Bayou in located within the Spring Bayou Wildlife Management Area, which spans more than 12,000 acres in the low-lying , poorly drained Red River backwater system.

Spring Bayou is located within Spring Bayou Wildlife Management Area, . . . — Map (db m117592) HM

Louisiana (Grant Parish), Pollock — Welcome to PollockHome of the Dogwood Festival
Native Americans first roamed this area of virgin pines and crystal streams. Then it was named Oction by early pioneer settlers. The Civil War Battle at Oction Hill occurred here in 1864. In 1889, Jay Gould, business tycoon and railroad magnate, . . . — Map (db m117582) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Davis Parish), Welsh — Early Cattle Industry
(side one – English) Long-horned Spanish cattle introduced by Aroyelles Indians long before the French arrived on the scene; used as foundation stock by pioneers. Acadians and others settled area, 1760’s; developed vacheries . . . — Map (db m117353) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Le Pavillon HotelA Historic Site
This square of ground on which Le Pavillon Hotel now stands has had many historical associations over the years, which together form an interesting chapter in the romantic story of New Orleans. In the early eighteen hundreds, this property . . . — Map (db m117319) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — New Orleans and the Domestic Slave Trade
(front side) In 1808, the US Congress abolished the international slave trade, contributing to a significant increase in the domestic slave trade, or the trafficking of human beings within the boundaries of the United States. During the . . . — Map (db m117438) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Solomon Northup"12 Years A Slave"
Located in the Faubourg Marigny, from the corner of Esplanade Ave. and Chartres St., is the former site of Theophilus Freeman's notorious slave pen (demolished after the Civil War) where Solomon Northup, a free man of color from New York, was sold . . . — Map (db m117277) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Transatlantic Slave Trade to Louisiana
(front side) The trade of human beings from Africa to Louisiana began in 1718 with the first slave ships, the Aurore and the Duc du Maine, arriving in 1719. Those ships carried 451 enslaved Africans to the Louisiana colony. Their voyage . . . — Map (db m117276) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Work Begins on New Orleans, Spring 1718
In this vicinity during March-April 1718, French colonists under the command of Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne, sieur de Bienville, first cleared vegetation for the establishment of La Nouvelle Orleans. Bienville, who had first sailed by here in 1699, . . . — Map (db m117272) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Oakland Plantation
In the early 1800's Josiah Chambers purchased 6,000 acres. His son, Josiah Chambers, Jr., upgraded the property, built a race track and developed transportation links via roads, bayou navigation and railroad, eventually expanding to almost . . . — Map (db m117593) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Tioga — Tioga Sawmill Commissary
The Iron Mountain Railroad pushed its lines into Central Louisiana in 1880. Five miles north of Pineville, Julius Levin built a sawmil1 beside the tracks. He named his town "Levin” which was later changed to "Tioga. A commissary was built . . . — Map (db m117595) HM
Louisiana (St John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — Allées Gwendolyn Midlo Hall
This monument records the names of 107,000 people held in bondage in Louisiana from 1719-1820. The records were gathered from the database Afro-Louisiana History and Genealogy, created by noted historian Gwendolyn Midlo Hall. We have named . . . — Map (db m117304) HM
Louisiana (St John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — The Slave Quarters
Before the Civil War, the Whitney Plantation counted 22 slave cabins on its site. They were made of cypress and were located along River Road, downriver from the Big House. Most of the original cabins were torn down in the 1970s to enlarge the . . . — Map (db m117313) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — "Braddock's Road"
Near this point on June 10, 1755, after nearly a month's delay at Fort Cumberland, Braddock's troops started toward Fort Duquesne to wrest it from the French. On July 9, 1755, he met his terrible death at the Monongahela. — Map (db m117223) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Station Stops: The Underground RailroadUnderground Railroad — 1849 - 1858
William Still William Still (1821- 1902) was born in Burlington New Jersey. His parents had been enslaved on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. To escape slavery, William Still’s parents and their young daughter fled to New Jersey before . . . — Map (db m117270) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Amelung Glass Works3½ Miles →
First glass manufactury in Maryland. Established by John Frederick Amelung of Bremen, Germany in 1784. George Washington wrote enthusiastically about it to Thomas Jefferson. — Map (db m117294) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Comm. Bruce Clipp
. . . — Map (db m117296) WM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Hancock United Methodist Church
Oldest Church in Hancock Hancock Methodist Church "1828" — Map (db m117298) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — Joseph Hancock, Jr.
. . . — Map (db m117297) HM WM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Christ Church
Oldest church building in Cambridge. Built in 1760 occupied by Continental troops in 1775. — Map (db m117362) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Concord — Site of Home of Isaac Hill

United States Senator 1831 — 1836 Governor 1836 — 1839 — Map (db m117579) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Brown, Fay, and Watson Housesca. 1844

These three Greek Revival style town houses were among several private residences built along Kirk Street in the 1840s and 1850s for a growing middle class that was being attracted to Lowell. Named from right to left for their earliest known . . . — Map (db m117801) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — George L. Duncan Dedication Plaza and Fountain

Lowell was founded upon the confluence of the Merrimack and Concord Rivers to become a nineteenth-century textile manufacturing empire. The city later faced urban decline when industry left the region. On January 3, 1989, George L. Duncan, a . . . — Map (db m117778) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Locomotives in Lowell

[The fireman] put his left foot on the lever that swings open the firebox door, to look at the searing inferno within as he...hurled shovelful after shovelful of coal... R.M. Neal, 1950 High Green and the Bark . . . — Map (db m117775) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Lowell Gas Light Building1859

Established in 1849, the Lowell Gas Light Company supplied piped coal gas that lit the city's mills, businesses, and street lamps. Designed in the more contemporary and elegant Italianate style, the building contrasted with earlier Federal and . . . — Map (db m117790) HM

Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Lowell High School Clock RestorationRededicated - November 28, 2014

"Meet Me Under The Clock"

Installed in 1937 and gifted by the Classes of 1937, '38 & '39 the "Kirk Street Clock" has become the symbol of fond memories and great friendships for generations of LHS students. The clock now runs on a . . . — Map (db m117794) HM


524 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 324
Paid Advertisement