Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

 
Federico Escobedo Tinoco Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, May 5, 2018
Federico Escobedo Tinoco Marker
Mexico, Guanajuato, Salvatierra — Federico Escobedo Tinoco
El Cnco. D. Federico Escobedo Tinoco (Tamiro Miceneo) nacio en este lugar el 7 de Feb. de 1874 Club Zorros Feb. 7 de 1954 English translation: Federico Escobedo Tinoco (Tamiro Miceneo) was born here on February . . . — Map (db m117512) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — 175th Anniversary of the Beginning of Mexican Independence75th Anniversary of the Beginning of the Mexican Revolution
175 Aniversario del Inicio de la Independencia 75 Aniversario del Comienzo de la Revolucion Mexicana Jornada por la Patria Este Municipio de Salvatierra ha tenido el alto honor de haber sido visitado por nuestros símbolos patrios . . . — Map (db m117444) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Cardinal Juan Jesús Posadas Ocampo
In Memoriam En el cuarto aniversario del fallecimiento del Excmo. Y Revcmo. Señor Cardenal: Don: Juan Jesus Posadas Ocampo Como un homenaje postumo, a uno de los mas ilustres y preclaros salvaterrenses, Presidente Honorario de nuestra . . . — Map (db m117445) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Church and Former Convent of San BuenaventuraRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Templo y Ex Convento de San Buenaventura (Templo de San Francisco)Los primeros religiosos en llegar al Valle de Huatzindeo (o Guatzindeo), fueron los franciscanos, que provenían de comunidades ubicadas en Acámbaro, a finales del siglo . . . — Map (db m117468) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — Portal JuárezRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Portal JuárezEl edificio fue construido en 1743, cuando los carmelitas pidieron a la corona que se les autorizara la creación de un beaterio, el cual estuvo originalmente en un edificio anexo al templo. Con el tiempo, este edificio fue . . . — Map (db m117466) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Salvatierra — The Battle of the Bridge of Batan
A. Junta Patriotica de 1890 Dedica este recuerdo a los mártires de la Independencia sacrificados aqui el dia 18 de abril de 1813. English translation: The Patriotic Board of 1890 Dedicate this to the memory of the . . . — Map (db m117435) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Salvatierra), Santo Tomás de Huatzindeo — Former Hacienda of Santo Tomás de HuatzindeoRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Ex Hacienda de Santo Tomás de Huatzindeo La Hacienda de Santo Tomás de Huatzindeo estuvo entre las más importantes de la región de Salvatierra. Junto con las de San Nicolás de los Agustinos, Maravatío del Encinal y San José del . . . — Map (db m117536) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Red Lion CourtW Caslon Junr     Letter Founder
In 1816, William Caslon IV produced the first sans-serif printing type, popularised by printers like R. Taylor, who worked in this court. — Map (db m117429) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Father Basil Jellicoe
Father Basil Jellicoe 1899-1935 Housing Reformer

Created housing for the community replacing the slums of Somers Town — Map (db m117430) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — A Royal River View
The 13th-century palace was built along the shore of the River Thames. Henry III and, later, his son Edward I would have been able to look out of their windows and see a fine river view. Between 1275 and 1285 Edward built the outer-curtain wall, . . . — Map (db m117422) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bronze Fortress Gun
This massive fortress gun is believed to have been captured by British forces from the forts guarding Canton during the Second China War (1856-61). It was brought to Britain as a trophy by HMS Nankin. It was formerly displayed at Upnor Castle, . . . — Map (db m117424) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bronze Gun
Cast by the founder Mohammed ibn Hamza for the Sultan Sulaiman ibn Salim Khan, this gun was intended for a Turkish expedition to India to expel the Portuguese colonists. Captured at Aden in 1839 by Captain H Smith of HMS Volage and displayed at . . . — Map (db m117423) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Bell Tower
The curfew bell has rung from this tower for centuries; the current bell dates from 1651. The tower, and the wall next to it, were built during the reign of Richard I (1189-99) and once stood on the edge of the river. It is thought that Sir Thomas . . . — Map (db m117420) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Lost Palace
In the 13th century, the Medieval Palace consisted of much more than the two towers you have just visited. The empty area in front of the White Tower is known as the Inmost Ward. Henry III had the White Tower whitened for the first time in 1241, . . . — Map (db m117421) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception / Archdiocese of Mobile
Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception Parish established in 1703 by John-Baptiste del la Croix, Bishop of Québec, while Mobile served as capital of Louisiana. Oldest religious congregation of any denomination in Alabama and the . . . — Map (db m117246) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Government Street Presbyterian Church
Founded, with 21 members, in 1831, by Rev. John B. Warren. This sanctuary erected 1834. Designated by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior as one of America's historic buildings. Presbyterian mother church for Southern Alabama. — Map (db m116964) HM
Arkansas (Lee County), Marianna — Lee County Confederate Monument — General Robert E. Lee
South face  “Fidelis Fortissimus.” 1861 1865 Erected by D. G. Govan Chapter U. D. C. In loving memory, of Lee County's Confederate Soldiers. ______ "No braver bled for a brighter land . . . — Map (db m117504) WM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — River Traffic
Ferries: Early ferry services were established as a ford on the Southwest Trail at "the point of rocks" between 1812 and 1819. Eventually, there were ferries in at least three locations serving the city, one just above the Old State House, . . . — Map (db m117432) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Settlements
While the Quapaw Indians could be said to "own" the land which is the Riverfront Park, their villages were actually along the Arkansas River between the "point of rocks" and the Mississippi River. However, the Imbeau, Bartholomew, and Coussatt . . . — Map (db m117431) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — First Baptist Church
The First Baptist Church was completed under the supervision of local architect Charles H. Biggar (1882 - 1946) in 1932. The building, designed in the Northern Italian Romanesque architectural style, is described in the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m117418) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Hayden Building
The Hayden Building is a classic example of Second Renaissance Revival architectural style. It was designed for the Kern County Land Company by San Francisco architect Charles I. Haven (1849-1916) and opened in 1904 as the Hayden Furniture Company. . . . — Map (db m117419) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — 129 — Fort Tejon
This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and for the protection of Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important . . . — Map (db m117523) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 40 — Hale House, Circa 1887Heritage Square
A superb example of the Queen Anne - Eastlake Style. Restored through the devotion of thousands of admirers. — Map (db m117173) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra Heights — The Original Hass Avocado Tree
Through its progeny, this tree, planted in 1926 by Rudolph Hass, has played an important role in the development of the California avocado industry. — Map (db m117267) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Connecticut State Veterans MemorialHonoring Those Who Served
[Armed Forces Seals]

[List of Major US Wars] — Map (db m117433) WM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Elbert Weinberg Abstract Untitled SculptureArt For All

This sculpture by Elbert Weinberg was commissioned by The Hartford Courant as part of a program initiated by Northeast magazine to bring works by distinguished Connecticut artists into the public domain. The abstract composition is made of . . . — Map (db m117425) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Rodman "Columbiad" Cannon

Distinguished by its clean lines and notched, flat breech, this 10-inch cannon was developed by U.S. Army Ordinance [sic - Ordnance] Lieutenant (later Major) Thomas J. Rodman. It was cast at Fort Pitt, Pennsylvania in 1862, carries serial . . . — Map (db m117436) HM

District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — Indonesian Embassy/Walsh-McLean MansionHistoric Site, Washington, DC — 2020 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Tycoon/philanthropist Thomas Francis Walsh built this 60-room, neo-Baroque mansion in 1903. An Irish immigrant who as a young man had struck it rich mining gold in Colorado, Walsh (1850-1910) brought his wife, Carrie Bell Walsh, and children to . . . — Map (db m117414) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Smithsonian National Zoo — Black and Gray SquirrelsA historic tale of animal rescue — Backyard Biology
"We ask every American to lend a hand to save Silver-Tail" -- William Temple Hornaday (1913) When the gray squirrel nearly disappeared The gray squirrel once was considered such a pest that bounties were put on it. In 1749, . . . — Map (db m117149) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Cantonment — Vacaria Baja
Home and ranch of Don Manuel Gonzalez was one-half mile east. Consisted of 1600 arpents conceded by Spanish Governor, José Masot, Dec. 22, 1817. On route of Andrew Jackson 1814, 1818 and in 1821, when General and Mrs. Jackson spent three weeks . . . — Map (db m117242) HM
Florida (Franklin County), Carrabelle — Crooked River Lighthouse History
The Crooked River Lighthouse, built in 1895, replaced three lighthouses on Dog Island that over the years were destroyed by storms. The lightstation grounds originally included a house for both the Keeper and the Assistant Keeper, and several . . . — Map (db m117427) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Village of Fowltown
In this vicinity stood the Seminole village of Fowltown, scene of battle, Nov. 21, 1817, which marked the beginning of the First Seminole Indian War. The engagement resulted when Major Twiggs with 250 soldiers from Fort Scott attempted to arrest its . . . — Map (db m116793) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Third Church BuildingOn This Corner
Third church building on this corner burned in the Great Chicago Fire, 1871. — Map (db m117477) HM
Illinois (Union County), Anna — King Neptune1942-1950 — Navy Mascot Pig
Raised by Patty Boner, West Frankfort; given to Navy recruiter Don Lingle, Anna; and auctioned by L. Oard Sitter, Anna around the State of Illinois for over $19,000,000 in WW II War Bonds — Map (db m117467) HM WM
Kansas (Crawford County), Frontenac — Frontenac Veterans Honor Roll
Honoring All Who Served "We pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." The City of . . . — Map (db m117426) WM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Marksville Race Track Sitec. 1890-1920
Marksvillians enjoyed horse racing on a hard earth track located on this site. A wood grandstand existed for visitor seating. Begun by Dr. Aristide Barbin who also organized a baseball field and golf course in this area. Dr. Barbin played on the . . . — Map (db m117463) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Davis Parish), Welsh — Early Cattle Industry
(side one – English) Long-horned Spanish cattle introduced by Aroyelles Indians long before the French arrived on the scene; used as foundation stock by pioneers. Acadians and others settled area, 1760’s; developed vacheries . . . — Map (db m117353) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Le Pavillon HotelA Historic Site
This square of ground on which Le Pavillon Hotel now stands has had many historical associations over the years, which together form an interesting chapter in the romantic story of New Orleans. In the early eighteen hundreds, this property . . . — Map (db m117319) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — New Orleans and the Domestic Slave Trade
(front side) In 1808, the US Congress abolished the international slave trade, contributing to a significant increase in the domestic slave trade, or the trafficking of human beings within the boundaries of the United States. During the . . . — Map (db m117438) HM
Louisiana (St John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — Allées Gwendolyn Midlo Hall
This monument records the names of 107,000 people held in bondage in Louisiana from 1719-1820. The records were gathered from the database Afro-Louisiana History and Genealogy, created by noted historian Gwendolyn Midlo Hall. We have named . . . — Map (db m117304) HM
Louisiana (St John the Baptist Parish), Edgard — The Slave Quarters
Before the Civil War, the Whitney Plantation counted 22 slave cabins on its site. They were made of cypress and were located along River Road, downriver from the Big House. Most of the original cabins were torn down in the 1970s to enlarge the . . . — Map (db m117313) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Station Stops: The Underground RailroadUnderground Railroad — 1849 - 1858
William Still William Still (1821- 1902) was born in Burlington New Jersey. His parents had been enslaved on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. To escape slavery, William Still’s parents and their young daughter fled to New Jersey before . . . — Map (db m117270) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Christ Church
Oldest church building in Cambridge. Built in 1760 occupied by Continental troops in 1775. — Map (db m117362) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Blackstone Canal1828 - 1848

Northbridge, MA Canal Route & Lock Location

This property has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117520) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Civil War Memorial1861 • 1865

To the men of Northbridge who gave their lives for their country

Andrew Addison • Henry W Ainsworth • James Allen Arthur J Andrus • Alfred A Batcheller Elbridge Bodwell • Dexter Brown • Edwin R Brown Joseph E Brown • Jeremiah H . . . — Map (db m117472) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Corporal John M. Dawson

Corporal John M. Dawson, lifelong resident of Whitinsville, was killed in action while on a patrol in Jalalabad, Afghanistan on April 8, 2015. He served as a combat medic assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 1st Squadron, 33rd . . . — Map (db m117449) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — David P. CaseyMedal of Honor

Pvt USA Co C 25th Mass Vols For heroism and gallantry under enemy fire Saved the Flag Cold Harbor, Va., June 3, 1864 — Map (db m117471) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Plummer's Landing

In 1836 Israel Plummer built a store beside a boat basin and dock here—the mid-point of the canal journey between Worcester, Massachusetts and Providence, Rhode Island. Retail products sold at Plummer's store included stove parts, tools . . . — Map (db m117521) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — The Northbridge Contingent in the Nations Wars - 1939-1955

World War II [Honored Dead] Oliver Ashton • Frank Berkowicz • Francis Bonoyer Floyd Convent • Francis Deveau • Alvin Dillaber Harvey Duquette • William Girard • Edward H Haringa Philip Hathaway • Douglas Henderson • . . . — Map (db m117474) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Thomas J. Melia, Jr.

The Mumford Riverwalk is dedicated to

Thomas J. Melia, Jr. 1926-1998

who dedicated his life to us in war and in peace: as a U.S. Marine and as an Officer and Chief of our police department.

His life was an . . . — Map (db m117450) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to all who have served, are serving and will serve in the Armed Forces of the United States of America — Map (db m117473) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Vietnam War Memorial1961 - 1975

Dedicated to the men and women from the town of Northbridge who served during the Vietnam War

"Ours was an honorable cause"

In memory of Joseph E. Fitzgerald SSgt. United States Army November 25, 1948 - May 31, . . . — Map (db m117481) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Welcome to Blackstone River and Canal Heritage State Park

"The hardest working river, the most thoroughly harnessed to the mill wheels of labor in the United States, probably the world, is the Blackstone." Winthrop Packard, 1909

The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management (DEM) . . . — Map (db m117522) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Whitinsville — Whitinsville Social Library

Edward Whitin and Arthur Fletcher Whitin have erected this building to be maintained forever as a free library for the use of the Citizens of Northbridge . . . — Map (db m117469) HM

Minnesota (Hennepin County), Bloomington — Dakota Life
Many Dakotas consider the Minnesota River Valley to be their spiritual home. The Dakota Indians were the last group of native peoples to live in the valley near this site. Starting in the mid-1600s, they migrated here in successive waves from the . . . — Map (db m117487) HM
Mississippi (Itawamba County), Tremont — Oakland Normal Institute
W. 1 mi. Here, 1887~1904, G.A. & J. T. Holley bridged gap between rural schools and colleges for many who distinguished themselves in law, education, & business. — Map (db m117204) HM
Mississippi (Itawamba County), Tremont — 14 — Tammy Wynette
Front Born Virginia Wyette Pugh and raised on her grandparents' farm near Tremont, Tammy Wynette (1942-1998) might have remained an unknown local hairdresser, but with fierce determination and a voice and resilient life story that . . . — Map (db m117206) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Horse & Mule Watering Trough
Built in the early 1920's, this trough sits in its original location, a relic of a period long passed. Travel from town to town was primarily done by mule pulled wagons. The area was plentiful with corn and cotton making such trade activity among . . . — Map (db m117566) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — 142 — Little Brother Montgomery
Side A

Little Brother Montgomery (1906-1985), a major presence on south Mississippi's blues and jazz scene during much of the pre-World War II era, was famed for his trembling vocals and masterful piano playing. The Montgomery . . . — Map (db m117480) HM

Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Old Brookhaven
The city of Boookhaven was first settled here in 1824 by James H. Bull. In 1833 Bull sold 160 acres of land to Samuel Jayne and William Ray Jayne, who established a grist mill operation near the Bouge Chitto River. In 1857 the New Orleans, Jackson . . . — Map (db m117557) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Pearlhaven
In 1899, the Pearl River Lumber Company established the mill town of Pearlhaven. Pealrhaven was incorporated in 1901 with 310 residents, who elected a mayor, board of aldermen, and marshal the same year. The town included a hotel, three churches . . . — Map (db m117479) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Temple B'nai Sholom
Built in 1896, this Moorish Revival-style structure served the Jewish communities of Brookhaven, Crystal Springs, Hazlehurst and Wesson until 2009. At that time, the Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Society began to use the building as a . . . — Map (db m117519) HM
Mississippi (Marshall County), Holly Springs — COFO & Rust College Civil Rights Monument
In 1964-65, the Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) came to Holly Springs, MS. This monument is in honor and recognition of the students who came from across the country and joined with Rust College students and local citizens to register . . . — Map (db m117499) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), Brookhaven — Coffee Pot Inn
Constructed in 1931 by James J. Carruth and his wife, the two-story stucco Coffee Pot Inn was Brookhavens's first drive-in restaurant. The building also served as the Carruth family home and as a Greyhound bus stop in 1933. In 1936, Eddie Hinnant . . . — Map (db m117344) HM
Mississippi (Pike County), Summit — Grierson's Raid 1863
On the morning of April 30, 1963, Union Col. B.H. Grierson led the 6th and 7th Illinois Cavalry south on the New Orleans, Jackson and Greta Northern Railroad, burning the Bogue Chitto depot and a number of bridges, trestles, water towers, . . . — Map (db m117518) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial1867 — 1942

For God and Country To Honor Our Fathers The Grand Army Of The Republic Originally Dedicated April 9, 1942

We Live In Deeds, Not Years — Map (db m117569) WM

New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — New Hampshire State House Chambers1819 • June 2 • 1969

The nation's oldest state house in which the legislature still occupies its original chambers — Map (db m117550) HM

New Jersey (Burlington County), Mount Holly — Girard House
. . . — Map (db m117291) HM
New Jersey (Monmouth County), Middletown — Middletown Township Locust Historic District
Settled circa 1715 by David Burdge of Hempstead, L.I. Significant as an early farming and fishing village, and center of local oyster trade to New York in the 19th c. Steamboats brought visitors as Locust evolved into an important estate area in the . . . — Map (db m116866) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Atlantic Health SystemMorristown Medical Center
Built by the Community       Morristown resident Myra Brookfield, determined that her hometown should have its own hospital, bequeathed her house and property on DeHart Street for just that purpose in the late 1800s.      A community-wide . . . — Map (db m117446) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Chautauqua — Lewis Miller Cottage
Lewis Miller Cottage, Chautauqua Institution has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark. Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemmorating or . . . — Map (db m117533) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Chautauqua — Miller Park
This sylvan tract known as Miller Park honors the memory of Lewis Miller, co-founder in 1874 with Methodist Bishop John Heyl Vincent of the Chautauqua Assembly now known as Chautauqua Institution. Like that of Lewis Miller himself, the history of . . . — Map (db m117532) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Chautauqua — Palestine ParkA Continuing Tradition
At the founding of Chautauqua in 1874, John Heyl Vincent assigned to Dr. W.W. Wythe the task of creating Palestine Park, starting with a makeshift temporary wooden model. The park has evolved to its present permanent location and depicts the . . . — Map (db m117529) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Chautauqua — Pier Building
Pier Building 1886 - 1916 Replacing the old wharf, the pier building stood three stories high, with ticket, baggage and dock offices in the first floor, shops and an observation veranda on the second floor, and dorms and classrooms on the third . . . — Map (db m117530) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Chautauqua — Pioneer Home
Pioneer Home June, 1806 William and Mehitable Wing Prendergast and family settled in a log house. Sons notable in county history. — Map (db m117534) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Chautauqua — This Tower
This tower erected in 1911 by the contributions of many Chautauquans, is a memoral to Lewis Miller one of the founders of Chautauqua. In his honor, four additional bells and a new console have been added to the tower by members of the . . . — Map (db m117531) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — On September 26, 1812
On September 26, 1812 and from this site, some of the first shots of the War of 1812 were fired by local militia at armed soldiers from the British schooner Lady Provost. When a small boat carrying the soldiers from the British ship was sighted . . . — Map (db m117515) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — 311 — Sarah Sinfield
Sarah Sinfield Civil War nurse awarded pension for devoted service. Lived here with husband William, veteran & asst. lighthouse keeper 1874-1885. — Map (db m117513) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Tadeusz Kosciuszko
. . . — Map (db m117511) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Ellery — Farming and Industrial Development
Farming and Industrial Development Ice harvesting on the county's lakes provided employment for farmers in the winter months. This ice was stored in large warehouses, and straw provided insulation to keep it intact even during the summer. . . . — Map (db m117560) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Ellery — The Land Around Us
The Land Around Us Farmhouse/Settlement Courtesy: Fenton History Center, Jamestown, N.Y. By the end of the 1700's the Holland Land Company was operating in western New York, including Chautauqua County. The first permanent European . . . — Map (db m117555) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Ellery — Transportation
Transportation Bemus Point/Stow Ferry Courtesy: Fenton History Center, Jamestown, N.Y. Flat boats made from locally cut timber carries goods from Chautauqua Lake to the country's interior. the Bemus Point-Stow Ferry began operating in . . . — Map (db m117562) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Ellery — What Does "Chautauqua" Mean?
What Does "Chautauqua" Mean? Chautauqua Institution Courtesy: Fenton History Center, Jamestown, N.Y. The term "Chautauqua" has come to be associated with the Chautauqua Movement which grew from the county's own Chautauqua Institution. The . . . — Map (db m117561) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Fredonia — Commander William B. Cushing
USN In memory of Commander William B. Cushing 1842-1874 The sinking of the Confederate Ram Albemarle Oct. 27, 1864 by Lt. Cushing. — Map (db m117563) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Fredonia — Dedicated to Veterans
Dedicated to veterans of all wars — Map (db m117564) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Fredonia — The Site of the First Gas Well
The Site of the First Gas Well in the United States. Lighted in honor of General Lafayette's visit June 4, 1825 — Map (db m117565) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Mina — Findley Lake, N.Y.
Findley Lake, N.Y., Settled by Alexander Findley, Sergeant Revolutionary War & War of 1812 - Built dam in 1815 to power his mill - This created lake from two ponds. — Map (db m117546) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Mina — Veterans Memorial / Revolutionary War Memorial
Veterans Memorial. Placed in honor of the citizens of the town of Mina who served in the armed forces of the United States. Revolutionary War Memorial. Honoring Mina citizens •Alexander Findley •Josiah Morse •Juvenile Winters, who served in the . . . — Map (db m117544) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Sherman — Here Stood a Station of the Underground Railroad
Here Stood a Station of the Underground Railroad. [escaped] Slaves were harbored in the belfry of the Presbyterian Church originally on this site. — Map (db m117542) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Sherman — In Grateful Tribute
In grateful tribute to the men and women who served in the armed forces of our country — Map (db m117539) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Sherman — Log Dwelling
Log Dwelling Originally a French fort having no doors or windows and a log roof with entrance through a protected underground tunnel, this building was sold and used as a dwelling. At this time, doors, windows, floors and a roof were added. It is . . . — Map (db m117541) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Sherman — Peter Ripley Residence
Peter Ripley Residence This home, the oldest frame building standing in Sherman, was moved approximately three city blocks. Furnishings depict life of an average settler's family about 1830. — Map (db m117540) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Sherman — To the Perpetual Memory
Antietam To the perpetual memory of the defenders of the Union in the wars of 1776, 1812, and Civil War 1861-1865. Revolutionary War. Dutton, Moses War of 1812. Corse, Cyrus; Cross, George; Eades, Elisha A.; Eastman, Daniel; Graham, Aretus . . . — Map (db m117538) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Silver Creek — Dedicated to the Men and Women
Dedicated to the men and women of the town of Hanover who served their country in war. - And - In loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in World Wars I and II. ★ ★ ★ Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Persian Gulf War, . . . — Map (db m117509) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Silver Creek — First Settlers
First Settlers In 1803 Abel Cleveland, David Dickinson and John Howard settled along this creek, erecting a grist and saw mill, and a tavern for westward settlers. — Map (db m117501) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Silver Creek — Skew Arch
Skew Arch Erected in 1869 by Buffalo & State Line Railroad. Key stone in the roof, reportedly one of two of its type in the world when built. — Map (db m117503) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Silver Creek — Steamship Erie
Steamship Erie The steamer Erie, carrying immigrants to the west, caught fire and sank off these shores the night of August 9, 1841. Over 200 lives lost. — Map (db m117505) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — Barcelona HarborInvasion Route Shipping Port, Fishing Center — History of the Coast
Harbor Activity Timeline 2000 1982 First Harbor Day celebration. 1971 Last commercial fishing boat is sold. 1962 Lighthouse is re-lighted. 1960 Corps of Engineers builds Daniel Reed breakwall and pier. 1913 Trolley service ends. 1900 . . . — Map (db m117525) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — Harriet Campbell-Taylor House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117528) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — The Mack House
The Mack House built 1821 79 N. Portage · Westfield, N.Y. This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m117526) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Peck House
C. 1807 Home Of Abijah Peck (1758-1848) Founder And First Pastor Of Clifton Park Center Baptist Church — Map (db m117451) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — 6-12 — Ridgewood in the Country Club District
The Ridgewood neighborhood, platted in 1914, was one of the first fully planned and restricted suburbs in the United States. Its innovative developer, Springfield native Harry s. Kissell, was among a small group of nationally acclaimed real . . . — Map (db m117567) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — 18-21 — Benajah Cook Sawmill and Farmstead
Benajah Cook and the families who settled in Harlem Township, Delaware County are honored for creating a community of productive farms. The Benajah and Cassandra Cook family arrived when the land was forested and settled on 500 acres of the . . . — Map (db m117443) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Elementary SchoolsCentral Park
The Episcopal Diocese of Oregon established the first school in the Central Park area. Dr. William Graham, a local physician, donated four lots on the block bounded by Madison, Monroe, Seventh, and Eighth Streets. He stipulated that the building . . . — Map (db m117365) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Madison AvenueA Place For People
In 1973, Dr. Robert MacVicar, president of Oregon State University, and Gene Hansen, president of the Corvallis Chamber of Commerce, discusses the need to develop a stronger connection between the university and downtown, especially for pedestrians. . . . — Map (db m117364) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Site of Corvallis Public Schools1889-1946
Central Elementary Corvallis Jr. High Corvallis High School — Map (db m117366) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — The Corvallis Arts Center
The Corvallis Arts Center building began its life as an Episcopal church, constructed in in 1889 just a block south of here. It was one of the products of the influential English emigrants who arrived in Benton County in the late 1800s under the . . . — Map (db m117279) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — The Whiteside Theatre
The Whiteside Theatre opened on November 9, 1922. That evening, the audience enjoyed the silent picture “The Old Homestead,” accompanied by Lilian McElroy on a $20,000 two manual, double touch Wurlitzer organ. That organ was the largest, . . . — Map (db m117434) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 208 — Monroe HardingEstablished 1893
In 1893, Fannie E.Harding founded Monroe Harding Memorial Orphanage in honor of her late husband, Dr. James Monroe Harding. The Presbyterian Church supported the home. It moved to Glendale Lane in 1934 to serve children of all ages. In the 1970s, . . . — Map (db m117457) HM
Tennessee (Monroe County), Sweetwater — The Tennessee Overhill ExperienceFrom Furs to Factories — Sweetwater-An Historic Commercial Center
Prosperous farmer, railroad investor, and legislator, I. T. Lenoir deeded a track of his farm in 1858 for the location of a railroad depot on the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad which bisected the fledging town of Sweetwater. Within a few years, . . . — Map (db m117113) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 18423 — Cotton Gins of Calhoun County
After Texas was annexed into the United States in 1846, part of what was once De Leon’s Colony was organized as Calhoun County, giving the county access to valuable cropland and bays—the most important being modern-day Matagorda . . . — Map (db m117439) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 18201 — Original Mission Refugio
In 1791, Spaniard priests Manuel De Silva and Joseph Francisco Mariano Garza endeavored to spread the doctrines of Christianity among the native tribes along the Gulf Coast, now called Karankawa, with the added benefit of giving Spain a foothold . . . — Map (db m117448) HM
Texas (Erath County), Stephenville — 15792 — Erath Arches
The Erath Arches were constructed in honor of soldier, surveyor, and legislator George B. Erath (1813-1891), for whom Erath County was named in 1856. The monument was one of many built around the state to celebrate the 1936 centennial of Texas . . . — Map (db m117455) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — Mardi Gras in Galveston
Mardi Gras was born out of a fifteenth-century European masquerade ball tradition, where guests would wear extravagant costumes and masks to conceal their identities. The first Mardi Gras celebration in Galveston occurred in 1867 at Turner Hall, . . . — Map (db m117381) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7175 — Original Site of St. Mary's Orphan Asylum
Children orphaned by a yellow fever epidemic in 1867 were cared for temporarily in Galveston's St. Mary's Infirmary by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. In 1874 Galveston Bishop Claude Dubuis bought the 35-acre plantation and home . . . — Map (db m117416) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — The Tremont Houses
The present Tremont House is the third Galveston hotel to bear the name. The island's first Tremont House was built by the firm of McKinney and Williams in 1839 on the southwest corner of Postoffice and Tremont Streets. An impressive two-story . . . — Map (db m117389) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — The Spirit of the Confederacy
The Spirit of the Confederacy Erected by the Robert E. LeeChapter N. 186 U.D.C.January 1908To all the heroes of the South who fought for the principles of States rights. Monument Committee Julia H Franklin, Bettie P. Mutcheson, Ella H. Sydnor, . . . — Map (db m117428) WM
Texas (Milam County), Burlington — 7997 — Saint Michael's Catholic Church
Irish Catholic settlers first came to this area in 1875. The community, first called Irish Settlement, was served by visiting priests beginning in 1879. Eight families joined together in 1885 to build a church, which they dedicated to St. Michael. . . . — Map (db m117336) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 7867 — Conroe
Established in the forest in 1881 as Isaac Conroe's sawmill, 2-1/2 mi. east of present site, at juncture of two railroads, first named Conroe's Switch; then Conroe's; in 1890, Conroe.

Lumbering brought prosperity. Chosen county seat in 1889. . . . — Map (db m117345) HM

Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17662 — Conroe Fire of 1911
On February 21, 1911 around 1:30 in the morning, a fire broke out in the Capitol Drug Store on Chambers (today North Main) Street. The blaze was well underway before it was discovered and northerly winds began sweeping the flames southeastward . . . — Map (db m117347) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 12320 — Conroe Telephone Exchange
A long distance telephone line ran from Houston to Gilbert's Drug Store in Conroe before Mr. Gilbert and Albert Madeley began a local telephone exchange in the store in 1899. Soon after, George Madeley purchased the exchange, naming it Conroe . . . — Map (db m117348) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17660 — Montgomery County Courthouses
The Montgomery County Courthouse in the center of downtown Conroe memorializes the remarkable history of one of the oldest counties in the state of Texas. Montgomery County is the third county created by the Republic of Texas, originally part of the . . . — Map (db m117350) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 7868 — The Isaac Conroe PropertyTemporary Montgomery County Courthouse
A native of New Jersey, Isaac Conroe (1834-1897) served with the Union army during the Civil War. Moving to Southeast Texas with his wife Margaret (Richardson) (1846-1896) in 1866, he lived at Lynchburg and Houston. In 1878 he built a sawmill at . . . — Map (db m117363) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), New Caney — 7892 — New Caney
Permanent settlement in what is now New Caney began in the 1860s. The area was first called Presswood for the pioneer family of Austin and Sarah (Waters) Presswood. The Presswoods came to Texas in 1862, purchased land in the area, and raised cattle . . . — Map (db m117349) HM
Texas (Nueces County), Corpus Christi — 18252 — 1941 Corpus Christi Seawall
A designated Texas Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, the Corpus Christi Seawall has helped to protect the coastal city for more than seventy years. Periodically devastated by hurricanes, Corpus Christi began to consider a protective barrier in . . . — Map (db m117454) HM
Texas (Nueces County), Corpus Christi — 18482 — Gutzon Borglum and the Corpus Christi Bayfront
Well-known in San Antonio for his “Trail Drivers” sculpture on permanent display inside the Witte Museum, Danish-American artist Gutzon Borglum (1867-1941) made several proposals to the City of Corpus Christi in the early twentieth . . . — Map (db m117452) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Euless — 15815 — Euless School
In 1913, patrons of three area elementary schools – Euless and Tarrant in the Euless District and Evatt (Crossroads) in the Evatt District – successfully petitioned Tarrant County Commissioners Court to merge and create the Euless Common . . . — Map (db m117437) HM
Texas (Travis County), Elroy — 15117 — Elroy
Swedish and German immigrants began to settle in this area in the 1890s. A post office was established in 1898, and by 1918 there were about 70 families in the area. The community, whose economy was based on cotton farming, consisted of homes, . . . — Map (db m117302) HM
Virginia (Amelia County), Deatonville — Deatonville"Continuous shifting battle" — Lee's Retreat
Through early morning showers on April 6, 1865. Gen. Robert E. Lee's weary men and creaking wagons slogged west toward Farmville and expected rations. They passed through Deatonville, “a cluster of half-a-dozen brick farmhouses,” and . . . — Map (db m117558) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Wasteland or Wetland?What is Your Point of View? — George Washington Memorial Parkway
Here, 400 years ago, the Piscataway tribe fed themselves on fish and waterfowl. In the early 1800s, Virginia farmers built retaining walls, called dykes, to drain this marsh and make farmland. The dykes proved too hard to keep intact. Without dyles, . . . — Map (db m117252) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Warrenton CemeteryNotable Confederate Resting Place
The gate to your right opens to Warrenton Cemetery, the final resting place of 986 Confederate soldiers, of every Southern state, about 650 casualties of the Civil War. Many wounded Confederates were evacuated to Warrenton and vicinity after the . . . — Map (db m117019) HM
Virginia (Frederick County), Middletown — 128th Regt N.Y.S.V.I.
In Memory of The Men of This Regiment Who Lost Their Lives at the Battle of Cedar Creek, October 19, 1864 Erected by Their Comrades and Friends Dedicated in 1907 — Map (db m117458) WM
Virginia (Frederick County), Middletown — Bearing the BruntCedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historical Park
On October 15, 1907, veterans of the 128th New York Regiment met on the Cedar Creek battlefield to dedicate the monument to their unit. These men, along with the rest of the 19th Corps, had borne the brunt of the Confederate attack against their . . . — Map (db m117461) HM
Virginia (Frederick County), Middletown — Eve of BattleCedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historical Park
On the night of October 18, 1864, tents sheltering part of General Philip Sheridan's 32,000 strong Union Army of the Shenandoah blanketed the fields before you. Numerous supply wagons stood around Belle Grove. Above the banks of Cedar Creek, more . . . — Map (db m117576) HM
Virginia (Frederick County), Winchester — Star FortGuardian of Winchester
Three times during the Civil War, Star Fort played a major role in the defense of Winchester. Union Gen. Robert H. Milroy’s troops began constructing the fort in January 1863 on the site of artillery emplacements Confederate Gen. Thomas J. . . . — Map (db m117368) HM
Virginia (Frederick County), Winchester — Third Battle of Winchester"The enemy within the fort ... hastily evacuated" — 1864 Valley Campaign
(preface) The fertile Shenandoah Valley was the "Breadbasket of the Confederacy" as well as an avenue of invasion. Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early's march north and his raid on Washington, D.C., in June-July 1864 alerted Union Gen. Ulysses . . . — Map (db m117369) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — Early Methodism in Leesburg
On this site, deeded in 1766, stood the old Methodist meeting house completed about 1770. Here in 1778 was held the sixth conference of American Methodism and the first in Virginia. In this cemetery in 1786 was buried Richard Owings, first native . . . — Map (db m117274) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Rice — Double BridgesWagon Train Bogged Down — Lee's Retreat
Late in the afternoon of April 6, 1865, the Confederate wagon train that had passed Holt’s Corner and then turned south at James S. Lockett’s farm toward Rice’s Station began crossing the two bridges here, across Little Sailor’s Creek and Big . . . — Map (db m117559) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Pickford Hall
Pickford Hall was named in honor of former Board of Trustees member C.J Pickford. The building was the original classroom building and would later contain the “Old Pie Shop,” the first student “hangout” on campus. The . . . — Map (db m117535) HM
Virginia, Winchester — ArkansasDeo Vindice
In memory of Her sons of the 3rd Arkansas Infantry CSA Joseph R. Bartlett, Co. D Unknown William C. Arnold, Co. H Christopher Columbus McClure, Co. C …. Watson Mathhew Chavis, Co. A James W. More, Co. I John Young, Co. E . . . — Map (db m117484) WM
Virginia, Winchester — TexasDieu Vous Gardé
In Honor And Memory Of The Men From Texas Who Gave The Greatest Sacrifice 1st Texas Infantry Sgt. Joseph C. Hollingsworth, Co H Died Of Wounds, 18 Oct 1862 Pvt. M. Harvey Newman, Co M Died Of Disease, 14 Oct . . . — Map (db m117490) WM
Virginia, Winchester — The Women of Winchester
In Honor Of The Women of Winchester The Ladies Confederate Memorial Association Organized in 1865 And Turner Ashby Chapter #184 United Daughters of the Confederacy For Five Generations They Have Cherished the Memory of The . . . — Map (db m117486) HM WM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Battle of North Mountain Depot
This boulder marks the site on Camp Hill where the batteries were fired during the War Between the States in the raid on the federal blockhouse, located at North Mountain. On July 4, 1864, the 14th, 16th, and 17th Regiments of General McCausland's . . . — Map (db m117317) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Hedgesville Historic District National Register SiteWashington Heritage Trail
During the French and Indian War (c. 1750) Virginia Militia Col. George Washington supervised the construction of Fort Hedges, a stockade fort built along the Warm Spring Road at the heavily-traveled Skinner's gap atop North Mountain (740 feet . . . — Map (db m117316) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Courthouse
Monongalia County was established in 1776 from the Virginia District of West Augusta and named for the Monongahela River. When the Mason Dixon line was formally recognized in 1783, officials determined that the first meeting place of the county . . . — Map (db m117097) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MorgantownWestover Bridge — Jones-Imboden Raid
On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. “Grumble” Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, they later reported that they . . . — Map (db m117118) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — A Castle Built for LoveWashington Heritage Trail
In 1885, noted Maryland businessman, Colonel Samuel Taylor Suit began construction on the elaborate summer cottage now known as Berkeley Castle. The land was part of the original Fruit Hill Farm owned before the Civil War by John Strother of the . . . — Map (db m117311) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, & George William FairfaxLot #54
Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, both Trustees, and George William Fairfax. By 1798, at least four of the five lots deeded to these three nephews of Thomas Sixth Lord Fairfax were owned by Ferdinando Fairfax, son of Bryan. Lot #54: . . . — Map (db m117373) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, & George William FairfaxLot # 55
Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, Trustees, and George William Fairfax. All three were nephews of Thomas Sixth Lord of Fairfax, owner of the "Northern Rappahannock Rivers. Bryan Fairfax was the next in line to become the Ninth Lord Fairfax, but . . . — Map (db m117385) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Capt. John SwannLot #12
Capt. John Swann of Washington County, Maryland. By 1798, Capt. Swann owned Lots #12, #13, #34 and #35. Lot #12: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Capt. John Swann, 1777.Map (db m117410) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Center of HospitalityWashington Heritage Trail
For more than 200 years, the area bordering the park and springs on which the Country Inn stands, has been the historic spa town's center of hospitality. In September 1784, George Washington stayed at Sign of the Liberty Pole and Flag located . . . — Map (db m117309) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles CarrollLot #25
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence (see marker Lot #24). Carroll was a "squatter" in Bath and built a house here before the town was laid out and before he owned the land. The Signer, who later served in the . . . — Map (db m117392) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles CarrollLot #24
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence who outlived all the other 55 signers. One of the most illustrious men in Maryland history, he turned the first spadeful of dirt to begin the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad on . . . — Map (db m117397) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles DickLot #44
Charles Dick, a merchant from Spotsylvania County, Va. He was associated with Fielding Lewis, owner of adjoining Lot #45, in manufacturing firearms for Revolutionary troops at a factory in Fredericksburg, Va. Lot #44: Conveyed by the . . . — Map (db m117372) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles YatesLot #33
Charles Yates of Spotsylvania County, Va. The Trustees declared it forfeited in 1796 and sold it to Andrew Buchannon. Lot #33: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Charles Yates, 1777.Map (db m117399) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Community Services BuildingBath District High School
It could be called "education hill" given the assortment of learning institutions that have been located on the crest of an area bounded by the Dutch Cemetery on the west and WV9 on the south. Part of the Green Addition to town, it was known as Mt. . . . — Map (db m117312) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer / Robert Townsen HoseLot #4, Lot #5
Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer Lot #4 Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, a personal friend of George Washington. Jenifer was elected to the Continental Congress in 1778 and was one of three Maryland statesmen who signed the U.S. Constitution. He . . . — Map (db m117396) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Dutch CemeteryWashington Heritage Trail
Palatinate Germans, called Dutch from the translation of Deutsch, migrated south to Berkeley Springs from Pennsylvania. Lots 1 and 2 of the original town plat were set aside by the trustees in 1777 for a German church and two other houses. There is . . . — Map (db m117314) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Edward LloydLot #23
Edward Lloyd, a Maryland official called "the Patriot" because of his eminent service during the Revolutionary period. He was one of two Marylanders in the Congress of the Confederation during 1783-1784. The owner of vast landholdings in Talbot . . . — Map (db m117401) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Fielding LewisLot #45
Fielding Lewis, who married George Washington's sister, Betty. He was appointed Chief Commissioner to superintend a factory in Fredericksburg, Va., to make small arms for the Virginia Revolutionary troops. Lewis used his own money to keep the . . . — Map (db m117386) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Frederick Conrad / Robert RutherfordLot #68, Lot #69
Frederick Conrad Lot #68 Frederick Conrad, a tanner from Frederick County, Va. Conrad also bought Lot #75 which adjoins this lot. Lot #68: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Frederick Conrad, August 19, 1777. . . . — Map (db m117408) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Frederick Duckwall, Jr.Lot #6
Frederick Duckwall, Jr. He sold it to George Dyche in 1794. After Dyche sold it to Samuel W. Barrett of Hampshire County, records show Duckwall owning it again by 1798. Lot #6: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Frederick . . . — Map (db m117395) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — George DickLot #107
George Dick of Berkeley County. It was bought in 1786 by Robert Throckmorton, partner with James Rumsey (see marker Lot #97) at "The Liberty Pole and Flag" Inn, perhaps the most popular inn in Bath. Lot #107: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — Map (db m117377) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — George IrwinLot #89
George Irwin of York County, Pa., who later bought half of adjoining Lot #88. Irwin, a merchant, also bought Lot #46. A boarding house was located on this site during most of the early history of Bath. Lot #89: Conveyed by the Trustees of . . . — Map (db m117384) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Harry Dorsey GoughLot #35
Harry Dorsey Gough, a wealthy Marylander from Perry Hall and a patron of Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury. Rev. Asbury visited and preached in the Gough house while in Bath. Gen. Horatio Gates was later a resident but never owned the lot. Capt. John . . . — Map (db m117391) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Henry WhitingLot #96
Henry Whiting of Bath, a cousin of George Washington, who bought five lots the same day. He sold this one the following year to Robert Adams of Alexandria, Va. By 1798 his father-in-law, Col. John Carlyle of Alexandria, Va., owned all the lots . . . — Map (db m117380) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Henry Whiting, Angus McDonald, Jane and Katherine Dalton, Angust McDonaldLot #57, Lot #64, Lot #56, Lot #63
Henry Whiting Lot #57 Henry Whiting of Bath, a cousin of George Washington, who also bought Lots #95, #96, #120 and #121. All five lots were owned in 1798 by his father-in-law, Col. John Carlyle of Alexandria, Va. Carlyle was one of . . . — Map (db m117374) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — James ElliottLot #88
James Elliott, a merchant from Chambersburg, Pa. He sold half the lot to George Irwin of York County, Pa., and the other half to Charles Hederich of Berkeley County, Va. (now West Virginia), in 1780. Lot #88: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — Map (db m117383) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — James MuirLot #60
James Muir, a merchant from Alexandria, Va. A listing of lot owners in 1798 shows it belonging to James Mercer, a member of the Continental Congress, who owned lot #43. Lot #60: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to James Muir, . . . — Map (db m117405) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — James SmithLot #86
James Smith of York, Pa., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He was a member of the Continental congress and a Brigadier General in the Pennsylvania militia. Smith was a leader in the Pennsylvania black country from the outbreak . . . — Map (db m117382) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John BarnsLot #13
. . . — Map (db m117413) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John DonovanLot #130
John Donovan, a tavern keeper from Hancock, Maryland. He also purchased Lot #126, a site on which the town's first theater was built. Lot #130: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Donovan [no recorded date].Map (db m117371) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John RidoutLot #32
John Ridout, Esq., of Annapolis, Md. James Smith owned it in 1779. Ridout was again the owner by 1798. Lot #32: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Ridout, 1777.Map (db m117403) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John Smith and John PhilpotLot #22
John Smith and John Philpot, both of Baltimore, Maryland. Lot #22: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Smith and John Philpot, August, 1777.Map (db m117402) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Joseph BoothLot #118
Joseph Booth of Berkeley County. In 1782 he sold it to Alpheus of Hampshire County, who owned other property in the town. Lot #118: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Joseph Booth, August 25, 1777.Map (db m117379) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Judiah HigginsLot #117
Higgins, of Hampshire County, originally owned this lot. — Map (db m117378) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Lot owned by George Washington
George Washington, surveyor for Lord Fairfax, visited "ye fam'd warm springs" first, Mar. 17, 1748. Later he brought his family "to try the effect of the waters" in 1768. When "Ye Town of Bath" was incorporated in October 1776, Washington bought . . . — Map (db m117310) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Morgan County Court House Stone
This stone was used in the wall of the first court house in Morgan County, built by John Sherrard in 1801. — Map (db m117375) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Original Town of Bath Lots One and Two
The Town of Bath was plotted on land that had belonged to Thomas Lord Fairfax. These two lots were purchased on August 26, 1777, by six men on behalf of a German church. Although the original plan was to build a church and two houses on these lots, . . . — Map (db m117409) HM WM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Robert BrownLot #106
Robert Brown of Berkeley County. He sold half the lot to James Heaton in 1782 and the other half to Michael Davis of Berkeley County the following year. Lot #106: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Robert Brown, 1777.Map (db m117376) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Robert Carter WillisLot #37
Robert Carter Willis in 1779 deeded the lot to Alexander White (see marker Lot #38), one of the original Trustees of the Town of Bath. White was regarded by his contemporaries as one of the ablest lawyers in the United States and an outstanding . . . — Map (db m117390) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Robert Throckmorton, Jr.Lot #26
Robert Throckmorton, Jr., of Berkeley County. The lot was purchased in 1858 by David Hunter Strother, who recorded much of the early history of Bath. Strother was an artist and writer who used the pen name "Porte Crayon". Lot #26: Conveyed . . . — Map (db m117393) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Sam Purviance, George IrwinLot #36, Lot #46
Sam Purviance Lot #36 Sam Purviance, a merchant from Baltimore, Maryland. Michael Davis of Bath was listed as the owner in 1798 of this lot along with Lots #37 and #38. Lot #36: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Sam . . . — Map (db m117387) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Samuel HughesLot #34
Samuel Hughes of Maryland. It was later purchased by Capt. John Swann, owner of adjoining Lot #35. Lot #34: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Samuel Hughes, 1777.Map (db m117398) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Thomas Lawson and John OrrLot #47
Thomas Lawson of Prince William County, Va., and John Orr of Loudoun County, Va., co-owners of Lots #28 and #29. It was owned later by Philadelphia merchant Thomas Palmer, who also owned Lots #46 and #48. — Map (db m117388) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Washington Heritage Trail
Roman Bathhouse and Museum of the Berkeley Springs The second floor of the historic Roman Bath House, oldest public building in Berkeley Springs is the Museum of the Berkeley Springs with exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the . . . — Map (db m117306) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — West Virginia(Morgan County)
"The Mountain State" - western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763. — Map (db m117370) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — William Herbert / Dr. John Meade TraversLot #62, Lot #61
William Herbert Lot #62 William Herbert of Alexandria, Va. Herbert, who was born in Ireland, became President of the Alexandria Bank established in 1798 and served as Mayor of Alexandria from 1808 to 1810. He was an honorary pallbearer for . . . — Map (db m117407) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — William Ramsey and James StuartLot #67
William Ramsey and James Stuart, both of Alexandria, Va. Ramsey was one of the trustees for the City of Alexandria and owned the first house built there after the sale of town lots in 1749. He married Ann McCarty Ball, a cousin of George Washington. . . . — Map (db m117406) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — William WeathersLot #3
William Weathers, a farmer and blacksmith from Berkely County. He sold half the lot in 1785, the other half in 1795, and bought the entire lot back before 1798. Weathers bought Lot #97 the same day. Lot #3: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — Map (db m117411) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Windel FreshourLot #16
Windel Freshour of Berkeley County. Lot #16: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Windel Freshour, August 25, 1777.Map (db m117394) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Congressional Medal of HonorRecipients of Ohio County
Civil War 1865     Josiah M. Curtis 1865     Daniel A. Wood 1865     Joseph McCauslin 1865     Thomas Anderson Indian Wars 1869     Michael Corcoran 1874     William Dixon 1875     Daniel Bishop Noncombatant . . . — Map (db m117460) WM

192 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement