Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

310 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 110
 
Belize National World War I Cenotaph Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, May 27, 2018
Belize National World War I Cenotaph Marker
Belize, Belize, Belize City — Belize National World War I Cenotaph
1914-1918 This memorial is erected in grateful memory of the men of this colony who gave their lives in the Great War Lieut. J.P.H. Atkin. 4th Brig. C.F.A. · “ A.N. Usher M.C. 10th R.F. · Sgt. J.W. Masson B.W.R.R. · “ G.E.P. Usher . . . — Map (db m118913) WM
Belize, Belize, Belize City — Saint John's Anglican Cathedral
Originally built in 1812 by slaves and from bricks brought across from Europe. It is known also as the first church in the settlement of Belize. It served as a Parish Church until the first Anglican Bishop was consecrated in 1886. In the … behind . . . — Map (db m118824) HM
Belize, Cayo, Belmopan — Belize's 10th Anniversary of Independence
“Del pueblo de Mexico al pueblo de Belize, en ocasión del X Aniversario de su Independencia. Inaugurado por el Presidente de Mexico, Carlos Salinas de Gotari, Septiembre de 1991.” English: “From the . . . — Map (db m118896) HM
Belize, Cayo, Belmopan — Olmec Colossal Head
Colossal Head ReplicaCulture: Olmec Temporality: Early Preclassic 1200-900 BC. Discovered: 1970 Place of origin: Texistepec, State of Veracruz, Mexico Site: San Lorenzo Tenochtitlan Measures: Length: 1.63 m Width: 1.55 m Height: 2.20 m Author: . . . — Map (db m118867) HM
Belize, Cayo, San Ignacio — The Centennial of El CayoThe Naming of San Ignacio
Dedicated to the people of San Ignacio & Santa Elena commemorating The Centennial of El Cayo October 19-1904-2004 by the Hon Said W. Musa Prime Minister of Belize 19th October 2004 Sponsored by Atlantic Bank Limited San . . . — Map (db m118897) HM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — La Reforma AvenueRuta Histórica Ciudad de Guatemala
Avenida de La Reforma El paso de la era ilustrada hacia un periodo de influencia más romántica es ampliamente percibida a lo largo del Paseo de La Reforma. Su construcción ordenada por el Presidente José María Reina Barrios se . . . — Map (db m118692) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuđborgarsvćđi, Reykjavik — Laugavegur 15
Ţetta hús reisti Ludvig Storr áriđ 1925. Hann ánafnađi húsiđ menningar - og framfarasjóđi Ludvig Storr, sem stofnađur var 1979 og er í vörslu háskóla íslands.

-

(English translation:)

This house . . . — Map (db m118802) HM

Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tula de Allende), Tula de Allende — Toltec Architecture and Art
Arquitectura Tolteca La arquitectura tolteca tiene tendencia a la suntuosidad decorativa, destacando por su monumentalidad. Los toltecas aprendieron de los teotihuacanos el uso de los centros ceremonials, empleando la plaza como . . . — Map (db m118912) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Biskup / Bishop Nankerca. 1279-1341
Biskup wrocławski i krakowski, orędownik polskiej racji stanu na Śląsku w czasach jego przynależności do Korony Czeskiej. Dbał o zachowanie języka polskiego w szkole i na nabożeństwach. . . . — Map (db m118868) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Dawna dziekania katedralna / Former Cathedral Deanery
W przedniej części działki wzniesiono w 3. ćw. XIII w. ceglaną wieżę mieszkalną, w latach 1539-1543 wybudowano murowany dom z renesansową attyką, a w XVII i XVIII w. kolejne budynki . . . — Map (db m118835) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — First Post-war Esperanto Organization
W tej kamienicy 18 marca 1948 r. powstała pierwsza powojenna polska organizacja esperancka

En tiu ĉi brikdomo la 18-an de marto de la jaro 1948 formiĝis la unua postmilita pola Esperantista . . . — Map (db m118793) HM

Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Fryderyk (Frederic) Chopin
Najwybitniejszy Kompozytor Polski Fyrderyk Chopin 1810-1849 Czterokrotnie przebywał we Wrocławu 8 listopada 1830 na prośbę kapelmistrza tutejskej katedry Josepha I. Schnabla dał . . . — Map (db m118881) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Natalia Gorbaniewska1936-2013
Rosyjska poetka, dysydentka, obrończyni praw człowieka, dziennikarka, tłumaczka literatury polskiej, przyjaciółka Polski i Polaków. W 2005 r. przyjęła polskie obywatelstwo. 25 sierpnia 1968 r. . . . — Map (db m118874) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Willy Cohn1888-1941
Historyk i nauczyciel, który jak nikt inny opisał żydowskie życie we Wrocławiu i niesprawiedliwości doznane w czasie reżimu narodowego socjalizmu. Tym samym stał się jednym z najwybitniejszych . . . — Map (db m118767) HM
Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Andrzej Badurski
W tym domu w wyniku dzialałnosci komisji edukacji narodowej staraniem i subwencia

Andrzeja Badurskiego

1740-1789 Doktora Medycyny Professora Akademii Krakowskiej Powstała w 1780 roku pierwsza w . . . — Map (db m118922) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Jan Kanty Lasota
W tym domu w latach 1943-1945 mieszkał PPŁK MGR Jan Kanty Lasota "Przyzba" Ostatni Szef Sztabu Okregu Kraków Armii Krajowej Ur. 20.X.1899   Aresztowany 17.IV.1945 Zm. 19.V.1950 Zameczony w . . . — Map (db m118743) HM
Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Merkuriusz Polski / The Polish Mercury
W tej kamienicy zwanej Szoberowska 3 stycznia roku 1661 powstała pierwsza w Polsce gazeta Merkvrivsz Polski Wydawana przez Aleksandra Gorczyna

Tablicę wmurowano w 300-lecie . . . — Map (db m118932) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Michał Stachowicz
W tym domu mieszkał i zmarł malarz i obywatel krakowski

Michał Stachowicz

Ur. 14. VIII. 1768.     Zm. 26.III.1825.

Żarliwy miłośnik rodzinnego miasta, który w obrazach swych . . . — Map (db m118766) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Władysław Orkan
W tym domu zył - tworzył i umarł Poeta Podhala

Władysław Orkan

*1876   †1930

-

(English translation:) In this house lived, created, and died the poet of . . . — Map (db m118920) HM

Poland, Opole (Opole Powiat) — Bank Ludowy / The People's Bank
W tym miejscu znajdował się w latach od 1897 do 1939 polska placówka spółdzielcza "Bank Ludowy" w Opolu

Tablicę ufundowało Społeczeństwo Miasta Opola w XV rocznicę . . . — Map (db m118848) HM

Poland, Opole (Opole Powiat) — Dawny Zajazd Pocztowy / Ehemaliger Gasthof / The Old Post Inn
Kamienica zbudowana w stylu klasycystycznym w 1953 r. na wzór domu stojącego tu do około 1898 r. Do roku 1822 funkcjonował w niej zajazd pocztowy, póżniej do około 1908 r. Hotel "Pod Czarnym Orlem". . . . — Map (db m118870) HM
Poland, Opole (Opole Powiat) — Harcówka Związek Harcerstwa Polskiego / Polish Scouting Association Meeting RoomOpole  - 1980
Tu w latach 1935-1939 mieściła się harcówka ZHP w Niemczech. W 45 rocznicę jej otwarcia Harcerze Opolscy.

-

(English translation:)

Here in the years 1935-1939 was located . . . — Map (db m118852) HM

Poland, Opole (Opole Powiat) — Opole Third Reich Victims Memorial1939 - 1945
W Hołdzie Polakom zamordowanym, prześladowanym, więzionym i deportowanym do pracy niewolnicej

W 55 rocznicę napaści Hitlerowskiej na Polskę

1.09.94   Stowarzyszenie Polaków . . . — Map (db m118872) WM

Poland, Opole (Strzelce Powiat), Izbicko — Izbicko (Steubendorf) World Wars I and II Memorial1914-1918, 1939-1945
Zum Gedenken an die 50 Opfer des I Weltkrieges und 243 Opfer des II Weltkrieges Der Pfarrgemeinde Steubendorf

50 Ofiarom I Wojny Swiatowej i 243 Ofiarom II Wojny Swiatowej Parafii . . . — Map (db m118788) WM

Turkey, Denizli (Merkez (District)), Pamukkale — HierapolisVisualization of Hierapolis
English Text: (1) Northern Necropolis (2) Baths - Basilica (3) Suburban Theatre (4) Frontinus Gate (5) Latrina (6) Nymphaeum of the Tritons (7) Agora (8) Frontinus Street (9) Temple Nymphaeum . . . — Map (db m118843) HM
Turkey, Denizli (Merkez (District)), Pamukkale — Martyrion of St. PhilipHierapolis of Phrygia
The church with an octagon core was built at the beginning of the 5th century on the summit of the hill. This is probably where, according to tradition, the Apostle was martyred. The building has an eight-sided central room surmounted by a wooden . . . — Map (db m118853) HM
Turkey, Denizli (Merkez (District)), Pamukkale — The TheatreThe Theatre Today
In the latest years the theatre continues to represent one of the top priorities for the Italian Mission, that continues the studies and has started important actions of preservation, restoration and presentation of the monument. The project of . . . — Map (db m118880) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of Westminster — Sir Joseph Bazalgette CB
Sir Joseph Bazalgette CB Engineer of the London Main Drainage System and of this Embankment Born 1819   Died 1891 — Map (db m118811) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of Westminster — The Gurkha Soldier
The Gurkha Soldier Bravest of the Brave Most Generous of the Generous Never Had Country More Faithful Friends Than You Professor Sir Ralph Furner MC ( rear bronze plaque ) First World War 1914 — 1918 . . . — Map (db m118813) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of London — Christ Church
Christ Church Newgate Street This burial ground was laid out by order of The Vestry, Sept. 10th 1880 Rev. T.D. Morse M.A. Vicar John Mixer · William Pitman Church Wardens — Map (db m118825) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of London — Christ’s Hospital
Christ’s Hospital Founded near this site by King Edward VI – 1552 To house, feed and educate needy children Incorporating the Royal Mathematical School, founded by King Charles II – 1673 the School moved to Horsham, West . . . — Map (db m118823) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of London — Christchurch Greyfriars Garden
Welcome to Christchurch Greyfriars Garden This garden covers the burial grounds on the site of the former nave of Christchurch Greyfriars, which were taken over by the Corporation of London in 1931. The Rose garden was laid out in 1989 and is . . . — Map (db m118821) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of London — Sir Christopher Hatton
Sir Christopher Hatton (1540-1591), was Lord Chancellor of England and rumoured to be the lover of Queen Elizabeth I. In 1578 the Queen granted Christopher Hatton the grounds of Ely Palace on which Hatton House was built. In the 1600s Hatton . . . — Map (db m118826) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of London — Vestry House
Originally Built 1760 Vestry House Partly Destroyed 1940 Rebuilt in 1981 — Map (db m118817) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Admiral Edward Russell
Here Lived and Died Admiral Edward Russell Earl of Orford Born 1653 Died 1727 — Map (db m118783) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Andrew Young
In Memory Of Andrew Young F S I First Valuer to the London County Council 1889 — 1914 He Laboured to Beautify The London He Loved — Map (db m118774) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Gaiety Theatre
Gaiety Theatre On this site until 1957 stood the re-sited Gaiety Theatre which continued the tradition set by its predecessor for musical comedies, and famed during the 1890’s for the delightful Gaiety Girls and their Stage Door . . . — Map (db m118786) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — National Sporting Club
City of Westminster This Building was Once Known as the National Sporting club March 1891 – October 1929 Which under its President Hugh Cecil Lowther The Fifth Earl of Lonsdale and co-founders Arthur ‘Peggy’ Bettinson & . . . — Map (db m118781) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Queen’s Theatre
Queen’s Theatre The Old Queen’s Theatre occupied this site for just eleven years from 1867 to 1878 and was renowned in its day, albeit fleetingly, for the distinguished players, including Ellen Terry and Charles Wyndham, who trod its . . . — Map (db m118784) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Royal Tank Regiment Memorial
From Mud Through Blood, To The Green Fields Beyond This Memorial Was Unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Colonel-in-Chief Royal Tank Regiment on 13th June 2000 ( plaque in front ) Royal Tank Regiment Memorial Statue This . . . — Map (db m118816) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — St. Paul’s Church
( marker between the columns ) The Church Of This Parish Having Been Destroyed By Fire On The XVIIth Day of Septr A.D. MDCCXC, Was Rebuilt, And Opened For Divine Service On The Ist Day of August A.D. MDCCXCVIII . . . — Map (db m118777) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Wellington
Nicholson’s Est. 1873 The Wellington The Wellington is named after the great general and prime minister Arther Wellesley, Duke of Wellington whose victory over Napoleon in 1815 brought an end to the Napoleonic Wars. The pub . . . — Map (db m118810) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Twinings
Thomas Twining (1675-1741) founded the House of Twining by purchasing the original Toms Coffee House at the back of this site in 1706, where he introduced tea. In 1717 he opened the Golden Lyon here as a shop to sell tea and coffee. In 1787 . . . — Map (db m118773) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Hackney — Holy Trinity Hoxton War Memorial
Remember in Your Prayers and in Your Lives, the Men, Women and Children of This Congregation and Parish Who Died in the Wars. 1914 — 1918 On Active Service George Amor · Arthur Arundel · George Appleby · Albert Beer · William . . . — Map (db m118722) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Hackney — Linale House
Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch Linale House The First Block of Flats to be Erected On The Wenlock Barn Estate Was Opened By His Worship The Mayor Of Shoreditch (Alderman R.G. Linale J.P.) On the 10th September 1949 Chairman of . . . — Map (db m118721) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Islington — Dadabhai Naoroji
Historic Site The First Asian Elected To The House Of Commons Was Dadabhai Naoroji He Represented Central Finsbury For The Liberal Party From 1892-1895 — Map (db m118772) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Islington — Duncan Terrace Gardens
A brief history of Duncan Terrace Gardens Duncan Terrace Gardens form an important link in the New River Walk series of green spaces. The New River was an open water conduit built in 1613 to bring drinking water from Hertfordshire to London. . . . — Map (db m118728) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Islington — Regent’s Canal
Regent’s Canal   Islington Maiden Lane Bridge to Sturts Lock History The eight and a half mile long Regent’s Canal was planned by Thomas Homer, a local businessman who saw the potential of a new waterway to link the Grand Junction . . . — Map (db m118727) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Islington — Regents Canal
A brief history of Regents Canal The Regent's Canal is a 13.5km watercourse that extends from Little Venice in the west to Limehouse Basin in the east. Constructed as part of the Grand Union Canal system, it was the inspiration of engineer . . . — Map (db m118725) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Lambeth — St John’s War Memorial
Erected by the Nursing Staff in honour of the patients who died in the King George Hospital HM Stationery Offices Stamford Street used as a military hospital during the war ( inscribed around the top of the column ) Greater love . . . — Map (db m118702) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Richmond upon Thames — Barbara Everest
Barbara Everest 1890 – 1968 British Film Actress lived here 1953 - 1956 — Map (db m118771) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Richmond upon Thames — Chinese Guardian Lions
Chinese Guardian Lions This pair of Chinese guardian lions were presented by Sir John Ramsden in 1958. They are superb examples of Chinese sculpture and are similar to those made of bronze, which stand in the grounds of the Imperial Palace at . . . — Map (db m118750) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Richmond upon Thames — Kew Guild War Memorial
To The Glory Of God And In Honoured Memory Of The Members Of The Kew Guild and Staff Of The Royal Botanic Gdns Kew Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914 - 1919 L/Cpl Charles Henry Anderson   London Scottish · Pte Arthur Edwin . . . — Map (db m118749) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Richmond upon Thames — King William’s Temple
King William’s Temple Fit for a king but given to a queen: built 1837 When Sir Jeffry Wyatville began designing this building King William IV was old but in good health. By the time the royal architect had finished in 1837, the king had . . . — Map (db m118747) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Richmond upon Thames — Temple of Bellona
Temple of Bellona Fashion and the fight: built 1760 This building may sound romantic, but it's more about battle than beauty. The female counterpart to Mars, Bellona is actually the Roman goddess of war. It's an appropriate . . . — Map (db m118746) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Richmond upon Thames — The Queen’s Garden
The Queen’s Garden During the 17th century plants were grown for culinary and medicinal purposes rather than their beauty. They were used in cooking to mask the flavour of tainted meat and strewn either fresh or dry in houses to sweeten the . . . — Map (db m118748) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — Barge Walk
Part of the Hampton Court Palace Estate Managed by Historic Royal Palaces Discover the sights and stories along Barge Walk History Barge Walk runs for 5 km alongside the River Thames from Hampton Court Bridge to Kingston . . . — Map (db m118689) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — Golden Jubilee Fountain
. . . — Map (db m118686) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — Home Park and the Long Water
Henry VIII’s hunting park and Charles II’s formal canal. Hunting at Hampton Court Hampton Court’s great attraction for Henry VIII (r 1509-1547) and later monarchs was its hunting. Henry enclosed this 750 acre (300 hectare) park . . . — Map (db m118685) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — Molesey Riverbank
Historic Molesey Molesey was first mentioned in the mid 7th Century record books when it was transferred to the monastery at Chertsey Abbey. It was referred to as Mulesei or Mul's Island. In the Domesday Book, it became Mulesey when the survey of . . . — Map (db m118691) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — Site of the Toy Inn
The Site of the Toy Inn An ancient Hostelry of Note Built for Oliver Cromwell’s Troops c.1650 rebuilt c.1700, demolished c.1840; wherein Pope wrote the Rape of the Lock; the Duke of Clarence, afterwards William IV, formed & presided over his Toy . . . — Map (db m118683) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — The Broad Walk
These gardens have been famous for their displays of massed bedding plants since they were opened to the public by Queen Victoria (r1837-1901). Queen Caroline’s flower border Queen Caroline, the wife of George II (r1727-1760), . . . — Map (db m118687) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — The Family Coat of Arms of Thomas Newland Allen
The Family Coat of Arms of Thomas Newland Allen Hampton Court Bridge was opened in 1866, at the expense of Thomas Newland Allen a local man who lived at Hampton on the Middlesex Bank. Originally a toll bridge allowing Mr Allen to recoup . . . — Map (db m118690) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — The Great Fountain Garden
The Great Fountain Garden was a magnificent baroque formal garden, created by Daniel Marot for William III (r 1689-1702) and Mary II (r 1689-1694) to frame Henry VIII’s hunting park. Thirteen fountains The French . . . — Map (db m118684) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), East Molesey — The Privy Garden
The baroque Privy Garden you see today was originally completed by William III in 1702, then reconstructed by Historic Royal Palaces in 1995. William III’s baroque masterpiece William III (r1689-1702) swept away the old . . . — Map (db m118688) HM
Alabama (Randolph County), Rock Mills — Pottery Shops in Rock Mills / The Potters of Rock Mills
Pottery Shops in Rock Mills After the Civil War, the establishment of the textile industry led to the growth of Rock Mills and subsequent potteries became established in town. By 1900, potteries here produced utilitarian wares covered in . . . — Map (db m118795) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Emmons HouseHistoric Sitka Alaska
Captain George Foster Emmons (1811-1884), commander of the USS Ossipee, sailed into the Sitka harbor with United States and Russian Commissioners for the ceremony transferring the Alaskan territory to the United States on 18 October . . . — Map (db m118712) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzite — Phantom II
McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom was a multi-service aircraft, served as primary fighter with Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps during Vietnam era. Carrying a crew of two, Pilot and Weapon Systems Officer, it was capable of speeds in excess of Mach . . . — Map (db m118796) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Scottsdale — Chief WashakieDave McGary
Chief Washakie was chief of the Shoshones for more than 60 years. He was revered for statesmanship and respected in battle, and he united his people into a significant political and military force. A skilled orator and charismatic figure, who spoke . . . — Map (db m118859) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Buster Keaton Studios
1920-1928 At this site stood the studio where Buster Keaton and his extraordinary team produced 10 feature-length and 19 short films that bring inspiration to filmmakers of every generation and laughter to audiences around the world. . . . — Map (db m118887) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 554 — Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio
One-half of this structure, then in use as a barn, was rented by Cecil B. DeMille as the studio in which was made the first feature-length motion picture in Hollywood, “The Squaw Man”, in 1913. It was originally located at the corner of . . . — Map (db m118836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — End of an EraCharlie Chaplin’s “Modern Times”
Near where you are now standing, silent film comic Charlie Chaplin, with Paulette Goddard at his side, appeared in the final scene of the epic comedy Modern Times. The film was released on February 5, 1936, nearly ten years into the talkie . . . — Map (db m118782) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — William J. "Pete" Knight1929-2004 — F-100 Super Sabre
William J. "Pete" Knight (November 18, 1929 – May 8, 2004) was a combat pilot, test pilot, Astronaut, and US politician. Knight holds the world’s speed record for flight in a winged powered aircraft. Knight enlisted in the United States . . . — Map (db m118711) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Jet Propulsion Laboratory
On October 31, 1936 at a site approximately 400 yards to the southeast, in the Arroyo Seco River Bed, a group of students and co-workers from the Guggenheim Aeronautical Laboratory, California Institute of Technology (GALCIT), with the encouragement . . . — Map (db m118834) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — SilvertownCorriganville
This town site at Corriganville had many names in Hollywood including Dodge City, Mineral City, Tombstone, and Lone Ranger Ranch. For many of those who visited this town site, however, it was called Silvertown. Whatever the name, people came by the . . . — Map (db m118905) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 15th / Wazee Street1865-1875 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
At the very heart of Denver’s rough beginnings, Fifteenth Street actually followed the old military trails from Santa Fe, Fort Union and trading posts north and south of Denver. It was here that General Larimer expropriated the one . . . — Map (db m118601) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Barney Ford Building1863 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
The significance of 1514 Blake St. lies in its connection to the remarkable life of black pioneer Barney Ford. Ford was born a slave on January 22, 1822 in Stafford, Virginia, but escaped to Chicago, where he worked with the underground railroad . . . — Map (db m118597) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Local Transit Through the AgesLook How Far We've Come — 1871-Present
"Visitors to Denver will certainly find a great improvement because they will… step aboard any one of the different lines right at the door of Union Station." The Denver Post, May 26, 1918 (opening day of the Denver Tramway . . . — Map (db m118591) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The City BeautifulLower Downtown Historic District — Established 1988
Denver's municipal facts book of 1909 states "Denver is known in every civilized country as the 'City of Lights.'" Electric light bulbs were considered a miraculous new invention and Denver took full advantage of the ease and elegance these . . . — Map (db m118598) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The People of the Stationand the Stories they Tell — Voices from the Past
”Union Station belongs to all of us.” Union Station neighbor, 2002 Rich or poor, famous or anonymous, everybody passed through Union Station from the time it opened in 1881. A trip to the station meant something new was . . . — Map (db m118585) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Union Station Timeline1881-2014
1881: Union Depot, constructed in the High Victorian Eclectic style, opened on June 1 at a cost of $525,000 1883: On November 18, the railroads instituted a time zone system specifically to keep trans on time at Union Depot and across the . . . — Map (db m118576) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — WarehousesLower Downtown Historic District — Established 1988
Denver grew from its humble beginnings along the banks of Cherry Creek in the 1860’s, to a well-organized and prosperous city by the turn of the century. The “rail-age” of Denver’s history brought tremendous growth and turned thought . . . — Map (db m118595) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Welcome to Union StationDenver's Transportation Hub — 1881 - Present
"Without railroads, Denver would be too dead to bury." Thomas Durant, Vice President Union Pacific Railroad, 1867 A survivor of fire and floods, Union Station is at the head of our railroad history. Landlocked, Denver needed . . . — Map (db m118570) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — When the Depot Became a Station1914
”This is our history – from the Transcontinental Railroad to the Hoover Dam, to the dredging of our ports and building of our most historic bridges – our American ancestors prioritized growth and investment in our . . . — Map (db m118589) HM
Colorado (Dolores County), Rico — Rico, Colorado
The Rico area was originally inhabited by natives including the Utes. In the 1700’s Spanish explorers were in the area. In 1833, trappers like W. Walton of the St. Louis Fur Co., came and reported remains of Spanish smelters. Mining began about . . . — Map (db m118655) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 15 — The Rock on Brightwood AvenueBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
Across Quackenbos Street is Emory United Methodist Church. Named to honor Bishop John Emory of Maryland (1789-1835), the congregation dates from 1832. From the beginning, Emory welcomed all races but, like most Washington churches then, seated . . . — Map (db m118907) HM
Illinois (McHenry County), Woodstock — Eugene Debs and Old McHenry County Jail
The 1894 Pullman Strike and boycott of Pullman railcars led by the American Railway Union involved 250,000 workers in 27 states. It paralyzed much of the nation’s rail system and directly led to the establishment that year of a national Labor Day. . . . — Map (db m118847) HM
Iowa (Sioux County), Sioux Center — Sioux Center, Iowa Veterans Memorial
Lest We Forget — Map (db m118957) WM
Kansas (Shawnee County), Topeka — 15 — Capital City of Kansas
Before it became the Kansas capital, Topeka was the seat of a free-state government — an alternative to the official proslavery territorial legislature elected in 1855. These two bodies represented opposing factions in Kansas’ battle over . . . — Map (db m118962) HM
Kansas (Shawnee County), Topeka — 120 — Fool Chief's Village
The Kansa, for whom the state is named, once occupied 20 million acres of land in eastern and northern Kansas. In 1825 the U.S. government reduced the lands to a reservation west of Topeka. In 1846 tribe members were sent to a 256,000 acre . . . — Map (db m118963) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 11 — Bird City
Edward Avery Mcllhenny was inspired to create Bird City after a British colonial official visited Avery Island. The official told the story of a Rajah in India who built enormous "flying cages” (aviaries) to house his live bird collection. . . . — Map (db m118877) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 8 — Buddah
In 1936, a year after Jungle Gardens opened to the public, two of Mcllhenny's friends, Robert M. Youngs and Ernest B. Tracy of New York City, presented him with a magnificent Buddha statue that they hoped would find an ideal home among his Asian . . . — Map (db m118857) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 13 — McIlhenny
A self taught naturalist, Edward Avery McIlhenny returned to Avery Island from an artic expedition in 1898. He shortly took over the family's TABASCO® pepper sauce business. McIlhenny married Mary Matthews of New Orleans and built a house in what . . . — Map (db m118876) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — This Buddah
This Buddah Was built for the Shonfa Temple located northeast of Peking, by the order of Emperor Hui-Tsung 1101-1125

Its builder was Chon-Ha-Chin, most noted of ancient Buddah makers.

The temple was looted by a rebel general . . . — Map (db m118855) HM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Lake PeigneurRip Van Winkle Gardens — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
A lone chimney rises above the surface of Lake Peigneur as a reminder of the unusual disaster that occurred here in 1980.

More than 140 years ago, Lake Peigneur was described as the most beautiful lake in the South. The present-day lake and . . . — Map (db m118837) HM

Maryland (Montgomery County), Seneca — A Veteran’s Life in Montgomery Countypost-1865
In 1890, One of the 252 Civil War veterans still living in Montgomery County was Elias Price. The Department of Census interviewed Price and other Civil War veterans living in the county, recording critical details including which side of the war . . . — Map (db m118756) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Seneca — Seneca Mills During the Civil War
With only the Potomac River between Montgomery County and the Confederate South, Seneca Mills residents were always close to impending troop activity. At the beginning of the war, the Seneca Mill community was worthy of consideration by the . . . — Map (db m118667) HM
Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Coltsville Honor Roll

[Died in Service] Charles Foley

[Honor Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m118744) WM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Hancock Shaker Village

has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark

under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m118819) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Hancock Shaker Village: Powered by the Sun for Over 200 Years

Hancock Shaker Village installed this solar photovoltaic (pv) array in December 2009. Here is one sample pv panel for you to examine and touch (it is not connected to the array and will not harm you).

Throughout the Village there are many . . . — Map (db m118828) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Pittsfield — Shaker Color

The Shakers, perhaps more than any other religious movement, embraced purity of design and consummate craftsmanship in everything they created. These banners represent a sample of the typical and joyful Shaker palette. As you tour this National . . . — Map (db m118818) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — 1753 House

Constructed with tools & materials used in 1753 for the Williamstown Bicentennial — Map (db m118742) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Here Stood the West Hoosac Blockhouse

Built in 1756 on this house-lot Number Six under decree of the Great and General Court of the Province of the Massachusetts Bay in compliance with urgent appeal from the homesteaders it served as sole refuge from their allied foes the French . . . — Map (db m118713) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Site of First Meeting House

Built in 1768 and removed in 1797 to make way for the second Meeting House, completed 1798 and destroyed by fire January 21, 1866. — Map (db m118715) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Site of West Hoosac Fort

Built in March 1756, as westernmost stockade and blockhouse to protect Massachusetts from French and Indian attack. Defended on July 11, 1756 despite the scalping of three soldiers. — Map (db m118714) HM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to all Veterans through peace or war Their memories will never die — Map (db m118706) WM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — Veterans Memorial

In Memory of All Veterans — Map (db m118739) WM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — War and Veterans MemorialFor God and Country

To the memory of the men of Williamstown who gave their lives for their country in the World War

Francis Aubin, Cornay, France, October 20th, 1918 George W. Bryant, At Sea, February 23rd, 1919 Frederick A. Busby, Argonne Forest, . . . — Map (db m118707) WM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — War Memorial

This Honor Roll is presented to the Citizens of Williamstown by the Richard A. Ruether American Legion Post #152 and is dedicated to all Williamstown Veterans who served during war-time.

Revolutionary War 1775-1783 [Honor Roll . . . — Map (db m118716) WM

Massachusetts (Berkshire County), Williamstown — World Wars Memorial

In Memoriam World War I George W. Bryant • Frederick A. Busby • Thomas R. Dorr Richard J. O'Brien • Willard C. Pike • Herman H. Scheffer Clinton E. Smith • Earl W. Worboy

In Memoriam World War 2 Clifford E. Bratcher • . . . — Map (db m118741) WM

Massachusetts (Hampden County), Brimfield — Hitchcock Free Academy
These of the Hitchcock Free Academy served their country in the Great War 1914 1918 A listing of 82 names follows, 2 of whom died in service — Map (db m118911) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — John Hancock Birth Site

On this site was born John Hancock January 23, 1737

Son of Reverend John Hancock, pastor of what is now the First Parish Church, Quincy

On his father's death, he was adopted by his uncle — Boston's . . . — Map (db m118703) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Fiskdale — War Memorial

Erected in honor of those from our town who served in the several wars. ———————————— Dedicated in Honor of Rosario A. Chamberland Past Commander, . . . — Map (db m118888) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — "Witness Tree"

On this site stood a 55" diameter sugar maple tree, its age calculated to have been growing and a "witness" of the town's incorporation on June 24, 1738 and subsequent history until removed in March of 2006. . . . — Map (db m118858) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — The Fire Pit

The fire pit was a familiar sight in the farmyard. When large kettles needed to be hung over a fire, the kitchen fireplace might not be big enough, but the outside fire pit was ideal. During spring, summer and fall, the fire pit provided . . . — Map (db m118916) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — 1771 Publick House Historic Inn & Country Lodge

Home of US Army First Service Command Tactical School 1942 - 1943 — Map (db m118873) HM WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Civil War Soldier's Monument

[Honor Roll] A. M. Bullard • J. B. Blodget • J. Brigham J. B. Cooper • J. A. Johnson • C. C McMaster I. G. Plimpton • R. Sharruck • C. M. Whittemore P. Gavin • W. J. Allen • C. H. Brown • W. Carter T. O'Hare • H. Smith • W. J. . . . — Map (db m118866) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Commerce on the Common

The Publick House, founded by civic leader Ebenezer Crafts in 1771, and the adjacent retail building are survivors of the time when the Common was the commercial center of Sturbridge. The inn served as a stage stop on the Worcester-Stafford . . . — Map (db m118864) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Fitch House Yard

The ornamental front yard became more common in Village households in the 1830s. This one includes a circular garden, decorative plantings, and a small area of grassy lawn.

The back part of the yard is for work and storage. It . . . — Map (db m118915) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Freeman Farm

This is the homelot of the Pliny Freeman Farm, with dwelling house, barn, and other outbuildings, kitchen garden, and farm fields. The Freeman family's house was moved here from its original location just a few miles away.

A typical . . . — Map (db m118938) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Lt. Charles J. Collins USAACof Baraboo, WI — In Memory Of

who died from injuries parachuting from a P-47 which crashed in Sturbridge on Sept. 1, 1943. His body was recovered 4 miles south of this location

Dedicated Memorial Day May 29, 1995 — Map (db m118885) HM WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Millstones

These millstones, made of New England granite, were used to grind grain into meal (a fine powder) for baking and cooking.

Millstones in a gristmill work in pairs, like scissor blades, with the grooved surfaces facing each . . . — Map (db m118890) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Millstones

These millstones, made of New England granite, were used to grind grain into meal (a fine powder) for baking and cooking.

Millstones in a gristmill work in pairs, like scissor blades, with the grooved surfaces facing each . . . — Map (db m118929) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Revere Bell

Erected 1833 in Sturbridge Federated Church Cracked by fire 1908 Recast 1909 through the generosity of Alvin B. Chamberlain Dedicated 1976 — Map (db m118869) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Sturbridge Honor Roll War Memorial

[Honor Rolls of Veterans]

War of Independence 1775 - 1783

World War II 1940 - 1946

Korean Conflict 1950 - 1955

Vietnam Conflict 1961 - 1975

Iraq - Afghanistan Conflict This temporary plaque is in honor of . . . — Map (db m118871) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — The Architectural Style of the Salem Towne House

This house was built in 1796 in Charlton, Massachusetts for prosperous farmer and merchant Salem Towne and his family. Its architecture is a rural interpretation of the "Adam" or "Federal" style. Between the 1780s and the 1820s, the first . . . — Map (db m118914) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — The Center School

Built in 1852 on the site of the town's original Meeting House, the Center School helped Sturbridge consolidate its outlying one-room district schools. It continued as a site for elementary education until the 1950s, when the present Burgess . . . — Map (db m118883) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — The Old Burial Ground1740 - 1894

Stone wall built in 1794 by Revolutionary War Veterans ————————— Gates a 1920 gift of Mrs. Joseph Fiske, granddaughter-in-law of Josiah Fiske. Gates restored in 2001 by the . . . — Map (db m118865) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — The Smokehouse

Farm families usually butchered during the late fall when cool weather kept the meat fresh during processing. In an average butchering season, a farm family produced enough pork, beef, and mutton to last the year. Before refrigerators and . . . — Map (db m118934) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — The Sturbridge Common

Public land since the town's founding and first formally surveyed in 1762, the Common has served many purposes. Militia mustered here and marched to join the New England army outside Boston in April, 1775. Cattle pens once crowded the open . . . — Map (db m118863) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — War Memorial

To keep forever living the freedom for which they died we dedicate this symbol of our dead in World War II

Medal of Honor Plt. Sgt. Joseph R. Julian Killed in Action Cpl. Rosaire M. Julian M.O.M.M.1/c Lincoln G. Plimpton . . . — Map (db m118884) WM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Welcome to the Pasture Walk

Daily work often took people away from the farmyard to pastures and woodlots.

• In spring, summer, and fall farmers and their children drove animals to and from pasture.

• In warmer months farmers made and mended fences and . . . — Map (db m118935) HM

Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Where is the Farm?

The Salem Towne House Built in 1796 in Charlton, Massachusetts Like most of their neighbors, the Towne family farmed. As you can see from their house, they were more prosperous than most. While a typical family farm in 1830s New England . . . — Map (db m118918) HM

Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — The BridgeLinking a City
1842: The wooden bridge Though no records exist of Williamston's first bridge, there must have been bridges to move supplies and traffic between the mills and farms on the north side. One entering our Village from the north, . . . — Map (db m118899) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — The Mill
In early times, communities grew up around mills, particularly sawmills and grist mills. Settlers needed to make regular trips to grist mills in order to convert their grain crops into flour or meal for their families, livestock and sale. . . . — Map (db m118900) HM
Michigan (Macomb), Utica — L1799 — St. Lawrence Parish of Utica
In May 1866 the Reverend Amandus VanDenDriessche of Detroit recited Utica's first Catholic Mass. Forty Irish families at Utica Junction (present-day Roseville) formed what became a mission of Sacred Heart Parish. On August 15, 1874, Bishop C. H. . . . — Map (db m118891) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Township — L3048 — Utica Cemetery
John and Mary Stead deeded 4.46 acres of land to the Utica Cemetery Association in 1863. Included in that parcel was a section referred to as the "Old Burying Ground" and a family plot called "Stead's Reserve." The first burial occurred in 1817 upon . . . — Map (db m118901) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — City of Rochester, Michigan1978
On this site 1817-The first house built in Oakland County 1818-The first settler's child born in Oakland County 1823-The first school started in Rochester — Map (db m118709) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L2036 — George Vandeventer House
New York native George Vandeventer, who came to Avon Township as a child in 1834, became a successful businessman and civic leader in Rochester. When their home burned in 1875, George and his wife, Julia, built this Italianate-inspired house. The . . . — Map (db m118769) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L710 — Mount Avon Cemetery
In 1826, Mount Avon became the first officially platted cemetery in Oakland County. The "Old Ground" or "Historic Acre" contains headstones dating from 1817, the year the earliest settlers arrived in the area. Members of the Graham family, . . . — Map (db m118936) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L2065 — Rollin Sprague Building
The "Old Stone Store" is the oldest commercial building in Rochester. Dr. Rollin Sprague of New York had the structure built in 1849 of coursed cobblestone, using a construction method more commonly used in his home state. The Sprague Building is . . . — Map (db m118678) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Castlerepresents Rochester, England — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
The Castle emblem represents the City of Rochester located in Kent County, England. On March 17, 1817, James Graham and his sons arrived in this very area while their families settled here later. Many settlers including our founders came here from . . . — Map (db m118827) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Hammerrepresents Industry — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
The community's first water-powered sawmill was erected in 1819, just one year after the first land sale. Rochester's favorable industrial climate fostered many other businesses in the years that followed, including the Western Knitting Mills, built . . . — Map (db m118720) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Oak Leafrepresents Oakland County — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
The Oak leaf symbolizes our broader community, Oakland County, of which Rochester was the first settlement. The tall, strong and enduring trees the county was named after dominate the surrounding landscape and played a critical role in supporting . . . — Map (db m118801) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — The Torchrepresents Education — Explore Rochester and Our City Seal
Built in 1889 to replace a school that had burned down the year before, the Avon School District No. 5 Schoolhouse sits on the site of the first private school in Avon Township, originally constructed in 1847. Since Rochester's founding, the . . . — Map (db m118785) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L642 — Township Hall
Avon Township, the site of the first settlement in Oakland County, was organized in 1835. This white clapboard building was erected in 1880 as the township hall. Its alterations reflect the area's industrial and commercial growth. Initially . . . — Map (db m118757) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L-2125 — Western Knitting Mills
Paint Creek and the Clinton River provided power for the first woolen mill on this site in 1844. Constructed in 1896, the Western Knitting Mills building was supported by a yarn mill, dormitories and two warehouses. One of the area's largest . . . — Map (db m118730) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 96 — Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal
This canal, conceived at the peak of the era of canal-building, was part of Michigan's internal improvements program which was announced in 1837. The Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal would make it possible to cross southern Michigan by boat from Lake St. . . . — Map (db m118904) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — L2158 — Stoney Creek School
The School Act of 1829 created the Stoney Creek School District. Fractional School No. 1 was constructed in 1848. Like one-room schoolhouses across the country, the building originally housed children of varying ages and grades, elementary through . . . — Map (db m118923) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — L2280 — Yates Cider Mill
Side 1 In 1863, William (1820-1911) and Caroline (1833-1892) Yates moved from New York to Michigan and purchased 80 acres of land. Using an existing dam on the Clinton River, they opened a water-powered lumber mill. The business soon grew . . . — Map (db m118906) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Scandia — In Memory of the First Swedish Settlers in Minnesota
[west face] 1850 1900 In memory of the First Swedish Settlers in Minnesota

[south face] 1850 – 1900 Oscar Roos, Carl Fernstrom och August Sansahl frĺn Vestergötland, Sverige, bosatte sig ĺ detta hemman omkring den . . . — Map (db m118710) HM

Minnesota (Washington County), Scandia — Swedes in Minnesota
The first Swedes arrived in the territory of Minnesota in 1850, settling in Scandia. By 1920 nearly a quarter of Minnesota's foreign-born residents were from Sweden, making it the home of more Swedes than any other state. About half lived in . . . — Map (db m118659) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — 27 — Clyde KennardMississippi Freedom Trail
Forrest County native Clyde Kennard was a pioneer in the quest to desegregate higher education in Mississippi. His efforts to enroll at Mississippi Southern College (now USM) in 1955-1959 were obstructed by college president William D. McCain and . . . — Map (db m118838) HM
Missouri (Jackson County), Kansas City — The Truman Sports Complex
The Jackson County Sports Complex Authority was established in 1967 as a political subdivision of the State of Missouri to serve as the landlord between Jackson County and the Kansas City Royals and the Kansas City Chiefs. Construction began in the . . . — Map (db m118948) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — State Education Building
Dedicated 1912. Education Department Offices; State Library; State Museum; Exhibits; Open to Public — Map (db m118762) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Dedicated to Corporal Cyrus W. James
Dedicated to Corporal Cyrus W. James 9th New York Cavalry Company G Enlisted at Dunkirk, NY September 26, 1861 at age 22 Killed July 1, 1863 at Gettysburg, PA, and was the first Union Soldier to succumb in that great battle. His body rests . . . — Map (db m118924) WM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — Mark Twain in Elmira
How did Samuel Clemens arrive in Elmira, NY? Thirty-two-year-old Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) first saw the image of Elmira's Olivia Langdon while traveling on the Quaker City Steamer — a cruise ship charted to visit Europe and the . . . — Map (db m118738) HM
New York (Columbia County), Craryville — Taghkanic-Hillsdale Line

Taghkanic organized 1803 as Granger, included Copake. Hillsdale formed from Claverack as District 1782. Organized as town 1788. — Map (db m118765) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — American Revolution Memorial

In memory of the Men of Hillsdale who fought for our independence in the American Revolution 1776 — 1781 — Map (db m118752) WM

New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — 446 — East Gate TollhouseColumbia Turnpike 1799-1907

Located on this site Linked Columbia County farming and industry to Hudson River ports — Map (db m118755) HM

New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — The Veterans Memorial Garden of HillsdaleLest We Forget — Dedicated 2009

[Central marker] In honor of the Men and Women of Hillsdale who served in the Armed Forces of our country

They gave the full measure of devotion to preserve America's heritage of freedom

1917-18 [and] . . . — Map (db m118753) WM

New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — Site of Miller's Tavern

Built before 1770 by Wm. Rockefeller. Jonas I. Miller proprietor for many years. First town meeting here 1803. — Map (db m118764) HM

New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — Veterans Memorial"Lest We Forget"

This Plaque is dedicated to the Men and Women of the Town of Taghkanic, who served in the Armed Forces of the United States — Map (db m118758) WM

New York (Erie County), Lancaster — Town Line, N.Y.
N.E. corner of the intersection was a school. In the summer of 1861 this mainly German Community voted 85 to 40 to secede from the Union. It was rumored that many men left to join the Confederacy. On October 1945 President Truman advised Town . . . — Map (db m118941) HM
New York (Schuyler County), Montour Falls — Montour Falls Memorial Libraryc.1864
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by The United States Department of Interior — Map (db m118794) HM
New York (Tompkins County), Ithaca — C.C.C. CO. #1265
Between 1933 & 1941 men from Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1265 built many of the facilities at Buttermilk Falls & R.H. Treman St. Parks. Town of Ithaca 1996Map (db m118660) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Castile — Gardeau TractSouth Border
South border of reservation set aside for Mary Jemison White Woman of the Genessee during the Big Tree Treaty of 1797 at Geneseo N.Y. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2014Map (db m118846) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Castile — Wolf Creek
In the ravine to your right, Wolf Creek drops 225 feet over four cascades to reach the Genesee River. Its name comes from pioneer times when the timber wolf dug its dens in the valley's gravel banks. Wolf Creek began eroding these falls more than . . . — Map (db m118854) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Mt. Morris — Former Site of Gibsonville
Hamlet existed in this area from 1825-1900 — Map (db m118851) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Perry — Gardeau TractNorth Border
North border of reservation set aside for Mary Jemison White Woman of the Genessee during the Big Tree Treaty of 1797 at Geneseo N.Y. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2014Map (db m118841) HM
North Carolina (Edgecombe County), Rocky Mount — Lincoln Park Historic District
The Lincoln Park Historic District , which is located in the northeast section of Rocky Mount, was constructed from 1948 through 1953 featuring single family housing, one restaurant, and motel. The restaurant and motel was owned by Clarence E. . . . — Map (db m118803) HM
North Dakota (Lamoure County), Edgeley — Ray SchlosserAug 29, 1911 - April 22, 1995
The two oak trees flanking the sidewalk are dedicated to the memory of Ray Schlosser. Ray was the caretaker of this rest area from 1969 to 1995. He was a farmer before he became caretaker, and his dedication made this rest area an "Oasis on the . . . — Map (db m118681) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — St. Philip Nerisince 1817 — “The Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio”
St. Philip Neri Parish Est. 1817 Church 1849 Bell Tower 1899 150th Anniversary 1999 — Map (db m118724) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Cedarville — Martin Robison Delaney
Martin Robison Delaney May 6, 1812 – Jan. 24, 1885 Catherine A. (Richards) Delaney Oct. 10, 1822 – July 11, 1894 Placido Rameses Delaney 1862 – 1910 Faustin Soulouque Delaney 1859 – 1912 Ethiopia Hallie . . . — Map (db m118850) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Albert WashingtonAugust 17, 1939 - October 23, 1998 — Cincinnati Music History
Inspired by B.B. King and seeing Sam Cooke in his youth. Albert recorded on labels Duke, Peacock, Finch, VLM, Bluestown, Fraternity, Jewel, Iris & Eastbound. "You Gonna Miss Me" and "Ramble" in 1962 featured Big Ed Thompson, Sonny Watt & Tim . . . — Map (db m118804) HM
Ohio (Hardin County), Alger — Alger Marion Township Veterans Memorial
Alger Marion Township Veterans Memorial dedicated to those who served our nation with pride and dignity at home and afar; preserving the freedom we have today. “God Bless America” “All gave some, Some gave all” — Map (db m118726) WM
Ohio (Hardin County), Alger — Jacob ParrottFirst Congressional Medal of Honor — Great Locomotive Chase
Jacob Parrott (Civil War) First Recipient Congressional Medal of Honor Resident of Hardin County Husband of Sarah (Lawrence) Parrott of Alger — Map (db m118842) HM WM
Ohio (Ross County), Chllicothe — The Underground Railroad in Chillicothe/Ross CountyHistoric Underground Railroad Site
Many heroic men and women joined forces with others in a vast network that helped fugitive slaves secure freedom. Three groups of people were most active in the Underground Railroad movement in Ross County. They were the Presbyterians, the Quakers . . . — Map (db m118737) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — 1 — The '89er Trail: The Boomers1879-1889
Captain David Payne and his Boomers defied federal authorities to attempt settlement in the Unassigned Lands.

From the 1830s onward, most of present-day Oklahoma was reserved for Native Americans who had been forcibly relocated from their . . . — Map (db m118805) HM

Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — Josephine County Peace Memorial
Honoring the men & women of Josephine County who served their country in the wars of this century. REMEMBERING the wounded, the disabled, the MIA and POW. Dedicated to those who lost their lives in the Quest For Peace. World War . . . — Map (db m118806) WM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Eugene Skinner Settled Here in 1846
This cabin is a replica of his first home. Built at Oakridge Oregon by Lawrence Hills, Bud Pickens and Jim White for Lane County Historical Society. — Map (db m118807) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Shelton – McMurphey HouseBuilt 1888
Designated as a Eugene Historic Landmark, 1975. Deeded to Lane County by Dr. Eva Johnson, Dec. 1975 — Map (db m118808) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Abbottstown — John Abbott
1976 This old stone marked the grave of John Abbott, son of town’s founder. Since 1763, in a fence row at upper end of town at a site 128 ft east of Abbott Street 35 feet south of Water Street. Moved to this place in 1976 to make way for a parking . . . — Map (db m118927) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Lee's Headquarters At GettysburgThe Dustman Barn Foundation
The foundation in front of you is all that remains of Casper Henry Dustman’s antebellum barn, a building that stood here during the Battle of Gettysburg. Typical of barns in this area, the wood-framed section was larger than the foundation, which . . . — Map (db m118902) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Lee's Headquarters At GettysburgThe Riggs House
In the summer of 1863, Alexander Riggs and his family lived in a house that stood before you, directly across the Chambersburg Pike from Mary Thompson’s. Like most of Gettysburg’s dwellings, the Riggs house was caught up in the whirlwind of battle, . . . — Map (db m118903) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Paoli — Historic Waynesborough
Historic Waynesborough Birthplace and Ancestral Home of Major General Anthony Wayne 1745-1796 — Map (db m118666) HM
Pennsylvania (Luzerne County), Hazleton — 443rd Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion Memorial

World War II 1942 - 1945

9 Campaigns • 3 Invasions 1942 — 1945

North Africa Sicily • Italy France • Germany Austria

Korean War 1950 - 1953 . . . — Map (db m118959) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Luzerne County), Hazleton — War Memorial

In honor of the Men and Women who served in the Armed Forces

W W I 1917 • 1918

W W II 1941 • 1945

Korea 1950 • 1955

Vietnam 1964 • 1975

This memorial gifted to the City of Hazleton and Veterans of All . . . — Map (db m118953) WM

Pennsylvania (Luzerne County), Hazleton — War Memorial

In Memoriam To All War Dead — Map (db m118955) WM

Pennsylvania (Luzerne County), Hazleton — World War Memorial

In memory of the Men and Women of the Greater Hazleton Area who served in the Armed Forces of this nation during the World War of 1917-1918 — Map (db m118961) WM

Pennsylvania (Luzerne County), West Hazleton — War MemorialGone But Not Forgotten

Lest We Forget Their Service Their Suffering Their Sacrifice

[Honored Dead and Honor Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m118945) WM

South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — Brookings County South Dakota Veterans Memorial
1922 To The Unknown Dead — Map (db m118952) WM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Brookings — Heart of Brookings
Brookings County Courthouse The Renaissance Revival-style courthouse was built in 1911 for $100,000 to replace the original 1885 two-story $7,000 wooden courthouse. Oscar Lee, an amateur artist from Volga, South Dakota, painted . . . — Map (db m118947) HM
South Dakota (Brookings County), Volga — Volga, South Dakota Veterans Memorial
Veterans Memorial — Map (db m118931) WM
South Dakota (Hamlin County), Hayti — Hamlin County South Dakota Veterans Memorial
In Honor of the Veterans of Hamlin County to God and Country — Map (db m118930) WM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Iroquois — Harvey Dunn, N.A.
Born March 8, 1884, in homestead shanty 3 miles S. ½ mile E. to Thomas and Bersha Dunn, was one of three children. From rural school he entered State College, Brookings, in 1901 to study art under Ada B. Caldwell, of whom he wrote: ‘She . . . — Map (db m118669) HM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Iroquois — Harvy Dunn and Grace Ingalls Dow
Harvy Dunn Famed painter and illustrator Harvey Dunn was born on his parents' homestead just south of Manchester on March 8, 1884. He devoted his first 17 years to farm work, schooling, and drawing. By the age of 20, the young Dunn had studied . . . — Map (db m118677) HM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Iroquois — KELO-Land Centennial Gold Rush1961
Dakota Territory was created in 1861 and got its first big impetus in 1874 when gold was confirmed in the Black Hills by General Custer. A hundred years later on August 27, 1961, a gold rush was created by Joe Floyd’s KELO-LAND TV and Radio . . . — Map (db m118664) HM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Iroquois — Manchester
Imagine a vast plain. Its fertile soil was covered with a blanket of grass and wildflowers swaying in rhythm to what seemed like an eternal wind. The silence of this infinite wilderness gave way to early pioneers who formed a community that . . . — Map (db m118680) HM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Iroquois — Manchester, South DakotaPopulation 150,000
August 27, 1961. More than 150,000 people converged on a patch of land just south of Highway 14 for the Dakota Territory Centennial Goldrush. The event was reminiscent of a stampede caused by General George Custer when he announced that gold had . . . — Map (db m118679) HM

310 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 110
Paid Advertisement