Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

619 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 419
 
G.F. "Betico" Croes Marker image, Touch for more information
By Charles Keller, June 30, 2018
G.F. "Betico" Croes Marker
Aruba, Noord — G.F. "Betico" Croes1938-1986
G.F. "Betico” Croes Luchado incansabel pa Aruba su Status Aparte. Pueblo a honre cu e titulo di "Libertador" Fought for the right of "Status Aparte” for Aruba ~ autonomous status in the Dutch Kingdom . . . — Map (db m119528) HM
Aruba, Noord — J.E. "Juancho" Irausquin1904-1962
J.E. "Juancho" Irausquin Gran visionario cu a reconoce e importancia di turismo pa Aruba y a cuminsa cu e desaroyo di e industria aki como un di e Aruba su pilarnan principal di nos economia. Great visionary who . . . — Map (db m119531) HM
Aruba, Noord — J.H.A. "Shon Henny" Eman1887-1957
J.H.A. "Shon Henny" Eman Visionario politico y estatal, ken a inicia e lucha pa Aruba su separacion for di Antiyas Hulandes. Political and statutory visionary whom initiatated the fight for Aruba's separation from the . . . — Map (db m119530) HM
Iceland, Southern Peninsula Suðurnes, Grindavik — Fallen But Not ForgottenUSAF, 8th Air Force, 93rd Bombardment Group, 330th Bombardment Squadron
Bandaríska B-24 Liberator - sprengjuflugvélin Hot Stuff, var fyrst flugvéla 8. flughersins til að ljtúka 25 árásarferðun frá Bretlandi yfir meginland Evrópu í heimsstyrjöldinni síðari.

The B-24 Liberator Hot Stuff was . . . — Map (db m120156) HM WM

Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tecozautla), Tecozautla — Benito Juárez
1872 – Año de Juarez – 1972 “Entre los individuos como entre las naciones el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz” Benito Juarez. Guia y ejemplo para la juventud mexicana de quien nos dio una patria libre y . . . — Map (db m119892) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tecozautla), Tecozautla — Chapel of the Lord of Expiration
Capilla del Señor de la Expiración Capilla anexa, se encuentra al noroeste del atrio de la Parroquia de Santiago Apóstol, construida de mampostería, en su planta tiene la forma de una cruz Griega, en ella se encuentra un solo altar y . . . — Map (db m119922) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tecozautla), Tecozautla — The Aqueduct of the Arches
Acueducto de los Arcos El acueducto de los Arcos es una obra de ingeniería hidráulica construida en la época de La Colonia por el año de (1702). La disposición del acueducto responde a un esquema sencillo, basado en una hilera de tres . . . — Map (db m119896) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tecozautla), Tecozautla — The Irrigation System of Tecozautla
Acequia Sistema de Riego Obra de ingeniería hidráulica construida en la época de la colonia por el año de (1702). Es un conjunto de canals de conducción de agua que sirve a un sistema de riego por medio de acequias que funciona en la . . . — Map (db m119894) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Pinal de Amoles), Pinal de Amoles — The Church of Real San José del Pinal de los Amoles
La Iglesia del Real de San Jose del Pinal de los Amoles fue construida en el año de 1770 siendo Virrey Don Carlos Francisco de Croix, Marques de Croix; Arzobispo de Mexico Don Francisco Lorenzana y Butron; Alcalde Mayor de Cadereyta y . . . — Map (db m120301) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Site of the Surrender of Maximilian
Aquí, hace cien años, Maximiliano de Habsburgo rindió su espada a Don Mariano Escobedo General en Jefe del Ejercito Republicano de Operaciones Queretaro, 15 de mayo de 1967 English translation: Here, one hundred . . . — Map (db m119983) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Chapel of La Piedad
Esta Capilla se construyó en 1900-1901. Dependencia de la Insp. Gral. De Monumentos Artisticos e Históricos English translation: This chapel was constructed in 1900-1901. Dependency of the . . . — Map (db m119939) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Hill of the Bells
Cerro de las Campanas Este cerro solía ser un marcador solar y sitio de rituales prehispánicos. Después, en el siglo XVIII, la zona fue dividida en terrenos para varias haciendas al poniente de la ciudad. Es recordado por ser escenario . . . — Map (db m119924) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Dawna kanonia kapituły swiętokrzyskiej / Canon's House of the Holy Cross Chapter
Pierwsza kuria kanonicza powstała w XIV w. Dom frontowy przebudowywano dwukrotnie - w 1607 r. i po wielkim i pożarze Ostrowa Tumskiego w 1791 r. Z tyłu posesji odtworzono historyczny ogród.

-

The first . . . — Map (db m119754) HM

Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Dawne kanonie kapituły katedralnej / Canon's Houses of the Cathedral Chapter
Wznoszone od średniowiecza domy były wielokrotnie przebudowywane, a po pożarze w 1791 r. zostały odtworzone w formach klasycystycznych. Niemal doszczętnie zniszczony w 1945 r. zespol odbudowano w latach 1974-1979 . . . — Map (db m119749) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Dawny dom handlowy firmy Louis Lewy Jr. / Former department store of the Louis Lewy Jr. company
Po wielkim sukcesie na rynku konfekcjonowanej odzieży w 1904 r. wzniesiono firmowy dom handlowy (projekt spółki architektonicznej Schlesinger & Benedickt), harmonijnie łącząc nowoczesną konstrukcję . . . — Map (db m119819) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Eugeniusz Geppert
Eugeniusz Geppert Artysta Malarz *1890   †1979 Załozyciel-i-Rektor PSWSSP w tym domu zył i tworzył

-

(English translation:)

In this house lived and worked the painter, Eugeniusz . . . — Map (db m119840) HM

Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Eugeniusz Get StankiewiczDomek Miedziorytnika / The Copperplate Engraver's House
The Copperplate Engraver's House

one of the two altarist houses that have survived of those once surrounding the churchyard by St Elizabeth's Church, owes its present name to the distinguished artist.

Eugeniusz Get Stankiewicz . . . — Map (db m119788) HM

Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Former Seat of the Vice-Custodian of the Cathedral Chapel and Guardian of Ostrów Tumski
Dawna siedziba wicekustosza kapituły katedralnej i kuratora Ostrowa Tumskiego

Wielokrotnie rozbudowywany zespół budynków, pierwotnie w konstrukcji szkieletowej. W 1759 r przeniesiono tu szkołę katedralna, . . . — Map (db m119758) HM

Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Kamienica / An old house
Gotycka kamienica, przebudowana na pocz. XIX w. przez rodzinę Molinarich w formach klasycystycznych (reliefy z wcześniejszej fasady są przechowywane w Muzeum Sztuki Medalierskiej), a następnie w 1882, 1900 i 1928 r. Po . . . — Map (db m119769) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Kamienica / An old house
W 2. poi. XIII w. vrzniesiono w tyrn miejscu gotycki dom szczytowy, rozbudowany u schyłku XV w. W 1580 r. powstała nowa - istniejąca do dziś -manierystyczna kamienica. Budynek był restaurowany w 1956 r.

-

. . . — Map (db m119821) HM

Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Piwnica Świdnicka / Świdnicka Cellar
Najstarsza reprezentacyjna gospoda miejska, od początku działająca w podziemiach ratusza. Nazwa pochodzi od podawanego tu przez stulecia, słynnego nie tylko na Śląsku, piwa sprowadzanego ze Świdnicy. . . . — Map (db m119773) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Stara Giełda / Old Exchange
Zaprojektowany przez K. F. Langhansa gmach, uroczyście otwarty 20 stycznia 1825 r., mieścił m.in. okazałą salę giełdową, użytkowaną także jako sala balowa i redutowa. Wcześniej w . . . — Map (db m119823) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Wincenty Pol
W sierpniu 1847 R ogladał Plac Solny

Wincenty Pol

Autor „Pieśni O Ziemi Naszej"

Towarzystwo Miłośników Wrocławia 20 IV 1957 W 150 rocznice urodzin w . . . — Map (db m119824) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Wadowice Powiat), Kalwaria zebrzydowska — Bazylika / Basilica
Bazylika Matki Bożej anielskiej OO Bernardynow w Kalwarii Zebryzdowskiej

w dniu 7 czerwca 1979 r. w czasie swojej pielgrzymki do Kalwarii

Otciec Św. Jan Paweł II

osobiscie ogłosił . . . — Map (db m119836) HM

Turkey, Çanakkale, Assos — Theater / Tiyatro
Text on German Side of Marker: Das Theater von Assos wurde im 4. Jh. v. Chr. südlich unterhalb der Agora in einen natürlichen Hang hineingebaut. Mit seiner Hufeisenform stellt es ein typisch griechisches Bauwerk dar. Es . . . — Map (db m119882) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province, Bergama — Pergamon Acropolis
Turkish Text / English Text: 1. Arsenal / Arsenal 2. Saray / Palast I 3. Saray II / Palast II 4. Saray III / Palast III 5. Saray IV / Palast IV 6. Saray V / Palast V 7. Kale Kapisi / Citadel Gate 8. Athena Kutsal Alani / . . . — Map (db m119822) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province, Bergama — The Temple of TrajanCult - History - Restoration
English Text on the First Panel of the Marker: The construction of the temple was started under the Roman Emperor Trajan (98-117 A.D.) and enlarged and completed under his successor Hadrian (117 -138 A.D.). It served the cult of both . . . — Map (db m119831) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province, Izmir — Honorary InscriptionDiophantos'u Onurlandırma Yazıtı
English Text: Honorary inscription erected by the city of Smyrna in honor of the chief priest of the Province of Asia, Iulius Menekles Diophantos (200-250 A.D.) "May good fortune attend. In beauty and size the first and most famous . . . — Map (db m119725) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province, Izmir — Neocorus of the Cult of the Emperor at SmyrnaSmyrna'daki imparatorluk Kültü'nün Neokoros'u
English Text: Inscribed base of a statue of Claudius Aristophanes Aurelianus, neocorus of the cult of the emperor at Smyrna (end of 2nd beginning of 3rd century A.D.). When used for a person the term neocorus meant "servant of the . . . — Map (db m119687) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province, Izmir — The Basement of the West Portico
English text: The basement that you are now visiting consists of three galleries and was constructed by using arches. The crookedness that you see in the axis of the arches is thought to be the result of hurried repairs, done to make . . . — Map (db m119691) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province, Izmir — The Dream of Alexander the Great
English Text: Pausanius, a geographer and traveler of the 2nd century A.D., relates that Alexander came to the slopes of Mt Pagos (Kadifekale) to hunt, that he fell asleep under a plane tree by a spring in front of the Temple of Nemesis, . . . — Map (db m119670) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province, Izmir — Water Channels
English Text: Water channels big enough for a person to pass easily through them have been identified beneath the modern city within the agora and south of it. Today water from an unidentified source still flows through these channels; . . . — Map (db m119729) HM
Turkey, Manisa, Akhisar — Ancient City of Thyateira (Thyatira)
English Text: The remains of the ancient city of Thyateira, which is located within the borders of the county town of Akhisar, have been uncovered mostly in two areas named as the "Tepe Mezarligi" (Hill Cemetery) and the "Hastane . . . — Map (db m119733) HM
Turkey, Manisa, Akhisar — Apsidal BuildingApsisli Yapi
English Text: The striking remains of the ancient city of Thyateira are located in the "Tepe Mezarligi (Hill Cemetery)" in the county town of Akhisar. The archeological excavations in this region were carried out by Professor Dr. Yusuf . . . — Map (db m119765) HM
Turkey, Manisa, Akhisar — The Roman Columned StreetSütunlu Roma Caddesi
English Text: In the excavations carried out in the east of the area called the "Tepe Mezarligi" (Hill Cemetery) within the range of the ancient city of Thyateira, a typical Roman street with columns was unearthed which lies in the . . . — Map (db m119801) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — A Royal Brewery Visit
Their Majesties King George III & Queen Charlotte were received in this brewery by Samuel Whitbread 24th May 1787 — Map (db m120126) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Bolt Court
Tuesday 15th September, 1964 The Sun was launched to replace the The Daily Herald. First printed at Boverie Street, south of Fleet Street. — Map (db m120042) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Cripplegate
Site of Cripplegate Demolished 1760 — Map (db m120081) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St. Dunstan's Court
1980's, new computerised printing technology brought about the demise of the traditional Fleet Street printing process. — Map (db m119863) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Salters Garden
Welcome to The Salters' Garden.

The Salters' Company is one of the Great Twelve Livery Companies of the City of London and was first licensed in 1394.

The Company built their seventh Hall here in 1976 following the destruction of the . . . — Map (db m120029) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Church of the Assumption
A Catholic chapel belonging to the Portuguese Embassy at 24 Golden Square existed here in the early 18h century. In 1747 the Portuguese Embassy moved elsewhere and the house and chapel were taken over by the Bavarian Embassy. The chapel was . . . — Map (db m119864) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Fisher
Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher 1841-1920 lived here as First Sea Lord 1904-1910 — Map (db m120075) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Shakespeare's Head
The Shakespeare's Head, which was built in 1735, was originally owned by Thomas & John Shakespeare, who were distant relatives of the poet.

In its early days, the tavern stood on the boundary line that divided the lands of the Mercers . . . — Map (db m120101) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — William Smith
William Smith M.P. 1756-1835 Pioneer of religious liberty lived here — Map (db m120074) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — A.W. Hofmann1818-1892
Professor of Chemistry lived here — Map (db m120032) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Burma Railway Memorial
In memory of the tens of thousands of British civilian and military personnel who suffered incarceration, many dying, in the Far East during the Second World War 1939 - 45, including those forced to labour on the Burma Railway. They ask for nothing . . . — Map (db m120043) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Emlyn Williams
(George) Emlyn Williams CBE 1905-1987 Actor & Playwright lived here 1930-1934 — Map (db m120125) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Frances Trollope
FRANCES TROLLOPE (1780-1863) author, lived at 16 Keppel Street near this site. Her sons, the authors THOMAS ADOLPHUS TROLLOPE (1810-1892) and ANTHONY TROLLOPE (1815-1882) were born there — Map (db m120106) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Jerome K. Jerome
Jerome K Jerome 1859-1927 Author of "Three Men in a Boat" lived here 1884-1885 — Map (db m120109) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Charles Eastlake1793-1865
Painter and First Director of the National Gallery lived here — Map (db m120034) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Rowland Hill
Sir ROWLAND HILL 1795-1879 Pioneer of the modern postal service lived in a house on this site 1836-1839 — Map (db m120104) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — William Reeve
William REEVE 1757-1815 Composer Covent Garden and Sadler's Wells theatres lived and died in a house on this site — Map (db m120124) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Centre — J.D. Jordan Jr. House
This house was built in 1846 by George Walden soon after the town of Centre was laid out. The house was occupied by Judge Wm. Lafayette Whitlock who was a lawyer, delegate to the 1861 Secession Convention and judge of the 12th judicial district. . . . — Map (db m120047) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Centre — Mose Hampton 1808-1885Early Black Leader and Inventor in Cherokee County
Mose Hampton bought his freedom prior to the Civil War. He was a builder, assisted in laying out and surveying the town of Centre, a minister in the Episcopal Methodist North, and an inventor. Mr. Hampton owned land in the vicinity of this marker on . . . — Map (db m120046) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — Marengo County Confederate Monument
Our Confederate Dead 1861  CSA  1865 — Map (db m120304) WM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m120002) WM

Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Creek TownsCreek Heritage Trail — Historic Chattahoochee Commission
Creek Towns At its height, the Creek Nation consisted of about 20,000 people living in more than seventy townships, or talwas (tvlwv), scattered throughout modern-day Alabama and Georgia. Creek townships commonly consisted of a primary . . . — Map (db m120007) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Cultural Exchange and CooperationCreek Heritage Trail — Historic Chattahoochee Commission
Cultural Exchange and Cooperation Though significant cultural conflict characterized Creek-American relations in the Chattahoochee Valley, and Creeks faced numerous forms of exploitation, not all relationships between Creeks and settlers were . . . — Map (db m120019) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell
Fort Mitchell Fort Mitchell is located on the Federal Road on the West bank overlooking the Chattahoochee River. General John Floyd received orders from Governor David B. Mitchell to pick up supplies, cross the Chattahoochee River and . . . — Map (db m120003) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — United States Indian Trading Post
United States Indian Trading Post The Battle of Horseshoe Bend, March 1814, ended the Creek Indian War. General Andrew Jackson met with Chief William Weatherford and signed the Treaty. The Creek Indians returned to their own land in the . . . — Map (db m120004) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Aubineau Building1912
Because of its prime location, this corner, containing two lots, was one of the earliest in Flagstaff to be developed. Pioneer merchant J. R. Kilpatrick built New Town's sixth building here in December 1883. This wooden store building burned in the . . . — Map (db m119945) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Downtowner1921 - 1935
The K.J. Nackard family came to Flagstaff in 1912 and opened a small general store at 106 E. Railroad Avenue. The store was successful. In 1921, Nackard built a home on this property, just a stone's throw from the store. Soon afterwards, . . . — Map (db m119932) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Oatman — Durlin Hotel
This property had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m119948) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Oatman — OatmanArizona Territory — "The Ghost Town that refuses to die!"
World War I was funded partially by the gold out of these mountains in 1912. Oatman boomed from 1910 to the 1920's. Upwards to 8,000 people lived here. Gold mines were closed about 1942. Mines were needed to mine copper for World War II. Blue Ridge . . . — Map (db m119942) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Peach Springs — Dallas Quasula Sr.October 28, 1932 - August 27, 2010
These grounds belong in spirit and enthusiasm to Dallas Quasula Sr., a member of the Hualapai tribe. Dallas, a tribal councilman and elder, was also a highly regarded citizen of the county and graduate of Seligman High School. Dallas served . . . — Map (db m119933) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Santa Fe Railroad
Across the Puerco River, the tracks of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad stretch for miles to the east and to the west. With no landforms or forests to block your view, you can see very long trains from beginning to end. More than 60 trains . . . — Map (db m119934) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Wigwam Village #6
Dear Mr. Paul Lewis It is my pleasure to inform you that the Wigwam Village #6 at 811 W. Hopi Dr. in Holbrook was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2002. As you know, the National Register is the official listing . . . — Map (db m119936) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Seligman — Delgadillo's Snow CapRoute 66 Roadside Attraction
Juan Delgadillo built the now famous Snow Cap in Seligman, Arizona in 1953 out of scrap lumber. — Map (db m119929) HM
Arkansas (Crawford County), Van Buren — 127 — Van Buren Raid
After the Dec. 7, 1862, Battle of Prairie Grove, the Union Frontier Division set out to strike Confederate forces on the Arkansas River. On Dec. 27, 8,000 Union troops headed south through the Boston Mountains. They hit Van Buren on Dec. 28 and . . . — Map (db m119954) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 78 — Faulkner County in the Civil War
Front Faulkner County had divided loyalties during the Civil War. Soon after the war started, Col. A.R. Witt helped organize several companies for the 10th Arkansas Infantry (C.S.). After fighting at Shiloh, the 10th was captured at Port . . . — Map (db m119987) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — B-13 — Franklin County Court House
Ozark was designated as the county seat of Franklin County in 1837, and the first court house in the county was erected on this site in 1838. — Map (db m120001) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — 120 — Skirmishes at Roseville
On March 29, 1864, troops of the 30th Texas Cavalry and local partisans attacked the Union post at Roseville south of here, burning 133 bales of cotton and two cotton gins. They returned in force on May 4 and drove the defending troops of the 2nd . . . — Map (db m119956) HM
Arkansas (Pope County), Pottsville — 121 — Potts Family in the Civil War
Kirkbride Potts built Potts Inn in the 1850s and it served as a Butterfield Stage Route stop. When war began in 1861, Potts joined the Pope County Home Guard. Four sons were in the Confederate army. Thomas, Joseph and Richard Potts enlisted in the . . . — Map (db m119958) HM
Arkansas (Pope County), Russellville — 101 — Pope County in the Civil War / Pope County Militia War
Pope County in the Civil War Pope County soldiers served in at least 10 companies that were raised for Confederate service during the Civil War, fighting in battles east of the Mississippi River and in Arkansas. Two companies were . . . — Map (db m119957) HM
Arkansas (Saint Francis County), Madison — 88 — Madison in the Civil War
U.S. troops from Helena came through Madison many times during the Civil War. A 5th Kansas Cavalry patrol fought here twice during a March 5-12, 1863, expedition. Iowa and Indiana troops passed through in April 1863, and detachments of men from the . . . — Map (db m119982) HM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — U. W. Brown House - Circa 1867
The property upon which this house sits has been owned by several notable California pioneers including John Bidwell and Charles D. Semple. It is unknown who built this house and exactly when. It is known however that the first resident of the house . . . — Map (db m118596) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — 444 — Bennett-Arcan Long Camp
Near this spot the Bennett-Arcane contingent of the Death Valley '49ers, emigrants from the Middle West, seeking shortcut to California gold fields, were stranded for a month and almost perished from starvation. William Lewis Manley and John Rogers, . . . — Map (db m119959) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 1 — Pablo Galtes - Union CemeteryHistorical Marker #1
Pablo Galtes facilitated the establishment of the Catholic community of Bakersfield in the early 1870's. The first Mass celebrated in Bakersfield was said in the back of Pablo's store located on 19th Street near Chester Avenue. (Eleven family . . . — Map (db m120209) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Angelino Heights — Carroll Avenue1300 Block
A street of houses designed in the Eastlake and Queen Anne styles of the late 19th century, exhibiting the finest collection of Victorian domestic architecture remaining in Los Angeles. From their vantage point on Angelino Heights, these houses have . . . — Map (db m120038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Santa Anita During World War II
Early in 1942 the US government designated Santa Anita Park for special usage during the war years. Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, from March 30, 1942 until October 27, 1942 the facility was used as . . . — Map (db m119677) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — Rubel CastleHistoric District
Built by Michael Clarke Rubel and hundreds of volunteers 1968 to 1986 from local river rock and salvaged materials This property has been listed in The National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department . . . — Map (db m119845) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Lt. Gen. James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle, (USAF Retired)Aerospace Walk of Honor
Jimmy Doolittle played an important role in the development of Air Force research at Edwards AFB. He was one of the founding fathers of Systems Command (Air Force Research and Development Command). Through the late 1980's, Doolittle made annual . . . — Map (db m120207) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Angel’s Flight
Built in 1901 by Colonel J. W. Eddy, lawyer, engineer, and friend of President Lincoln, Angel's Flight is said to be the world's shortest incorporated railway. The counterbalanced cars, controlled by cables, travel a 33 percent grade for 315 . . . — Map (db m120118) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Historical Site
This block is the site of: First brick school house in Los Angeles known as School No. 1, built 1854-1855 Butterfield Overland Mail Company office and corral 1858-1861 Office of U.S. Quartermaster 1861 Corral for camels from Fort Tejon . . . — Map (db m120061) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Malibu — 965 — Point Dume (Dumé)
On November 24, 1793, English explorer George Vancouver, commander of an expedition to determine the extent of settlement of the northwest coast of America, named this rocky promontory, Point Dume, after his Franciscan friend, Father Francisco . . . — Map (db m120173) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pacific Palisades — 840 — Santa Monica Forestry Station
In 1887, the State Board of Forestry established the nation's first experimental forestry station. Located in Rustic Canyon, the station tested exotic trees for planting in California, established plantations for management studies, and produced . . . — Map (db m119875) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Harvard’s Mount Wilson Station
Station of Harvard College Observatory 1889–1890 — Map (db m119706) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — George Washington1732-1799
In commemoration of the two-hundredth birthday of George Washington, first President of the United States, whose wisdom, foresight, and patriotism are an inspiration to all true Americans. — Map (db m119721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Ocean Park Branch LibrarySanta Monica Landmark
The Ocean Park Branch Library was built as a gift of the Carnegie Foundation in 1918 on land donated by the Tegner family. The design is a simplified variation of Greek Revival architecture. Although small Carnegie Libraries were once found in towns . . . — Map (db m119662) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Olympiad Rose Bush
Commemorates the XXIII Olympiad and marathons run through Santa Monica, August 5, 1984 and August 12, 1984, including the first women’s marathon in Olympiad history. — Map (db m119673) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Roy Jones House
Built in 1894 for the civic leader Roy Jones. Designed by Sumner P. Hunt, later recognized as an outstanding Southern California architect. This residence is one of Santa Monica’s earliest examples of American Colonial Revival style. It was moved to . . . — Map (db m119671) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Santa Monica PierSanta Monica Landmark
The Santa Monica Pier was built in phases between 1908 and 1916. It originally consisted of a Municipal Pier for strolling and fishing and a Pleasure Pier for amusements. The Hippodrome was constructed in 1916 to house the Pleasure Pier's carousel, . . . — Map (db m119675) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Shotgun HouseSanta Monica Landmark
This extremely narrow cottage, built sometime between 1895 and 1902, remained unaltered for over one hundred years. One room wide and four rooms deep, with no connecting hallway, it displays the defining characteristics of a "shotgun house,” . . . — Map (db m119666) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — The Santa Monica Pier Carousel
The Hippodrome (also known as the "Carousel Building") was built in 1916 by famous carousel carver Charles I.D. Looff. Its unique combination of Byzantine, Moorish, and California design made it easily identifiable among the festive, eclectic . . . — Map (db m119676) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Will Rogers Highway
Dedicated 1952 to Will Rogers Humorist - World Traveler - Good Neighbor This Main Street of America Highway 66 was the first road he traveled in a career that led him straight to the hearts of his countrymen. [Second smaller . . . — Map (db m119616) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Studio City — 151/29 — Campo De CahuengaOriginal Adobe
Beneath this park rest the stone foundations and floor tiles of the historic adobe where Mexican General Andres Pico and U.S. Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont signed the Treaty of Cahuenga on January 13, 1847. Signing the Treaty ended the . . . — Map (db m119679) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry Springs — 143 — Newberry Springs
The history of Newberry Springs can be traced back more than 20,000 years. Digs at the Early Man Site north of here discovered tools dating prior to 20,000 BC. At that time, much of the land was covered by the prehistoric Lake Manix. Then, around . . . — Map (db m119927) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Cucamonga Service Station
The Cucamonga Service Station was built by Henry Klusman in 1915 on the State Route which would 10 years later, be designated as U.S. Route 66. This type and style of station is one of the few remaining that once numbered in the thousands and . . . — Map (db m119923) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — 490 — Cucamonga Winery
Established by Tiburcio Tapia, to whom the Cucamonga Rancho was granted March 3, 1839 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado of Mexico. — Map (db m119944) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Barbara Jordan(1936-1996) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Noted politician and civil rights leader, widely considered to be the first openly lesbian representative elected to the United States Congress — Map (db m120172) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — José Sarria(1922-2013) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Army veteran, drag performer, politcal activist, first openly gay candidate for public office in the world, founder of the Imperial Court System

Jose SarriaMap (db m120176) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Kiyoshi Kuromiya(1943-2000) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Japanese-Americas human rights activist and founder of the Critical Path Project, one of the earliest resources for information about HIV research and treatment — Map (db m120181) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Sally Ride(1951-2012) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Physicist and astronaut, the first American woman in space, where as a mission specialist she helped to launch satellites and conduct scientific experiments

Sally RideMap (db m120150) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Jackson BrewerySan Francisco City Landmark No. 199
Established in the 1850's, the Jackson Brewing Company operated under the ownership of the Frederick family at this site from its completion in 1912 until the onset of Prohibition in 1919. James T. Ludlow, an engineer, designed this building brew . . . — Map (db m120151) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Victoria Manalo Draves
Victoria Manalo Draves was the first Asian-American woman to win an Olympic medal when she earned gold medals in the 3-meter springboard and the 10-meter platform diving competitions at the 1948 Olympics. Born in the South of Market area to an . . . — Map (db m120149) HM
California (San Louis Obispo County), McKittrick — Painted Rock
Rising above the Carrizo Plain is Painted Rock, an important cultural and spiritual site to California’s native peoples. Most of the pictographs, or painted images found on Painted Rock, are characteristic of the Chumash who lived on the Channel . . . — Map (db m119992) HM
California (San Louis Obispo County), McKittrick — Wallace CreekSan Andreas Fault
Welcome to Wallace Creek. Yes, you are looking at a creek. Wallace Creek may seem insignificant compared to other streams or rivers, after all, on most days of the year, it is bone dry. But it tells an important and exciting story. As you can . . . — Map (db m119884) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Cholame — Tribute to a Young ManJames Dean Memorial
His name was James Byron Dean. He was an actor. He died just before sundown on September 30, 1955, when his Porsche collided with another car at a fork in the road not 900 yards east of this tree, long known as The Tree of Heaven. He was 24 years . . . — Map (db m119880) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpenteria — 5 — Portolá Sycamore
Oral tradition holds that this tree survives from the naming of "La Carpinteria” - the Carpenter Shop - on August 17, 1769 when the Portolá Expedition observed the Chumash building plank canoes at this site. — Map (db m119951) HM
California (Ventura County), Ojai — 12 — Ojai City Jail
The county built this jail in 1929. It housed over 650 inmates during its 50 years of use. — Map (db m119678) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114 — El Caballo
Friar Pedro Benito Cambón—the mission’s co-founder was highly regarded for his knowledge of irrigation, agriculture and building construction—directed Chumash laborers to build this filtration building in 1792 as part of the mission’s . . . — Map (db m120200) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114-1 — Rancho Cañada LargaMission Aqueduct
Rancho Cañada Larga o Verde, as it was originally known, came out of lands of the San Buenaventura Mission. Following Mexican independence from Spain, Joaquina Alvarado de Moraga, whose late husband, Gabriel Moraga, was a distinguished soldier of . . . — Map (db m120201) HM
Colorado (Baca County), Springfield — Baca County Trails
The Cimarron Cutoff and Granada Road were branches of the Santa Fe Trail from Missouri to Santa Fe. The Aubrey and Penrose were other trails. From 1866-97 thousands of Texas cattle were driven to Montana on the XIT and National Cattle trails. — Map (db m120040) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — Colorado's Northern Coal FieldLest We Forget
Colorado's immense northern coal field, centered beneath these rolling hills, contributed to the early development and growth of Colorado and to the birth of nearby towns. Miners and mine owners in this area battled over issues of workers' . . . — Map (db m120145) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — Miner's Museum
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m120143) HM
Colorado (Custer County), Westcliffe — Mining and Ranching / Early Settlement / Westcliffe and Silver Cliff / Westcliffe Country
Mining and Ranching For a time, the Wet Mountain Valley appeared destined for mining glory. Silver strikes at Rosita (about fifteen miles southeast of here) in 1872, Querida (about twelve miles southeast) in 1877, and Silver Cliff (six . . . — Map (db m120228) HM
Colorado (Delta County), Delta — Fort Uncompahgre
One of the many trading posts built by Antoine (Anton French) Robidoux, First built around 1828 at the juncture of the Grand (Gunnison) and Uncompahgre Rivers then a territory of Mexico and Ute Indian country on the well traveled "Old . . . — Map (db m120059) HM
Colorado (Delta County), Delta — Ute Council Tree
This ancient tree was once part of a grove of native cottonwoods under which the local Ute Indians would camp and hold council prior to 1881. An Indian trail passed nearby. It has been identified as the Ute Council Tree since 1930, when the local . . . — Map (db m119897) HM
Colorado (Delta County), Delta — Western Slope Agriculture / Delta County
Western Slope Agriculture According to an 1888 U.S. Department of Agriculture report, western Colorado's thin soils, high altitude, and lack of rainfall rendered the region totally unfit for cultivation. The document’s author apparently . . . — Map (db m120123) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — General Electric Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m119861) HM
Colorado (Eagle County), Edwards — Skiing in Colorado / The Ski Industry Snowballs / Ski Colorado / Edwards Country
Skiing in Colorado The earliest recorded use of skis in Colorado dates to 1857, when mountain guide Jim Bridger fashioned a crude pair to bail out an army unit snowbound in the San Juan Mountains. Such was the function of "snowshoes" . . . — Map (db m120241) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — "The First National Bank Building"802 Grand Avenue
On March 15, 1887, excavation for a three-story brick and stone building began on lots at 802 Grand Avenue for the First National Bank building. At the time, The Glenwood Echo newspaper reported that the First National Bank offices would occupy the . . . — Map (db m120089) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Building Interstate 70 Through Glenwood Canyon
From Vision to Reality Glenwood Canyon has been a critical link in the nation's ground transportation network ever since the completion of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad in 1887. Later, Taylor State Road, a continuous wagon road between . . . — Map (db m120263) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Citizens National Bank Building1913
The Citizens National Bank Building stands as Glenwood Springs landmark. The Citizens Building and Improvement Company was founded in 1910. Construction of the Citizens National Bank Building began in January, 1913. The building was completed . . . — Map (db m120085) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Hotel Denver
In the late 1800's to the early 1900's, saloons, restaurants, and rooming houses occupied this block. In 1904, Frank Walter constructed two buildings - one three-story - in the block. Walter leased the ground floor of the three-story building (406 . . . — Map (db m120084) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Hughes-Anderson Building
The commercial building at 824-826 Grand Avenue was constructed in 1888. The brick building was initially occupied by a hardware store and an agricultural implement shop on the first floor, furnished rooms on the second floor, and a tin shop in the . . . — Map (db m120102) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — I.O.O.F. Building
Sovereign Grand Lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F) working hard to establish their own permanent meeting place. After being in many different locations in the downtown, the began construction of their new lodge in 1898. The . . . — Map (db m120086) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Illuminating the Future
Expansion to Hydroelectric Devereux's dreams for Glenwood Springs' growth were so successful that the demands for his electrical power grew quickly. The years 1887 and 1888 saw the design and construction of the current building, the . . . — Map (db m120133) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — McCoy-Armory Building
This current address has incorporated numbers 827 and 829 Grand Avenue. The earliest maps show buildings on this site since 1888, but the year 1913 has J.F. McCoy constructing his building. In 1917, the State of Colorado purchased the building for . . . — Map (db m120087) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Rex Hotel
This site - Lot 9 Block 45 - housed what in later years would be known as the Rex Hotel. Glenwood Springs founder Isaac Cooper first owned the property, but between 1887 to 1892, ownership changed hands several times. During this time, several small . . . — Map (db m120082) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Star Hotel
In 1906 Henry Bosco had a whole liquor and Coca-Cola bottling business operating in the basement of a saloon at 414 Seventh Street. Within a few years, Henry purchased the building that housed his business and the adjacent lot to the east. In 1915, . . . — Map (db m120083) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — The Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric Plant
The Vision The year was 1886. Walter Devereux, a wealthy silver mining venture capitalist from Aspen, turned his vision downvalley to Glenwood Springs to develop the next world class resort. The area's climate, rich land, rivers and free . . . — Map (db m120130) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — The Hotel Glenwood
The original building at this site was built in 1883 and was called the Hotel Colorado. It was quickly found too small for its needs and plans were made to replace it. In 1884, Isaac Cooper, William Gelder, and Joseph Enzensperger made plans . . . — Map (db m120095) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 4 — Barry Building — New Castle Museum on the Street
In 1893, this two-story building served as a general merchandise establishment. Daniel Barry operated his business here until 1897. Cohn, Doll & Co (later Doll Bros. and Smith) operated a dry goods and general merchandise store here, followed by the . . . — Map (db m120103) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 2 — Exchange Stables — New Castle Museum on the Street
In the early days of New Castle, horses were at the center of all activity. The building before you was where that activity happened. C.H. Noren & Son, who rented horses and rigs for hauling, operated the livery business. Later Levi Strauss and A . . . — Map (db m120105) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — Jolley Trail
The Jolley Trail is named after a longtime New Castle family that ran sheep and lived on the land this trail traverses today. In 1919 the Jolley Brothers — Herb, Malcolm (Mack), Henry and Lee — who were some of the first sheepmen . . . — Map (db m120108) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — New Castle Coal Mine Memorial
This memorial is placed in honor of the men who lost their lives in the coal mines of New Castle. Vulcan Mine - February 18, 1896 {List of names} Vulcan Mine - December 12, 1913 {List of names} Vulcan . . . — Map (db m120120) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 5 — Odd Fellows Hall
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows insignia still appears on the façade of this building, built in 1990. As with many early buildings, the ground floor was used for commercial purposes. Here the ground floor was occupied by a saloon, later by J.W. . . . — Map (db m120119) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 8 — St. John's Episcopal Church — New Castle Museum on the Street
St. John's is New Castle's oldest existing church. The cornerstone of the building was laid on November 2, 1908 and the first service was held on Easter Sunday, April 11, 1909. There has been very little change to the exterior of the building since . . . — Map (db m120107) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), No Name — A Grand Boulevard
In 1905, Colorado state senator Edward T. Taylor said, "I hope that someday our road will be a portion of a grand boulevard stretching across the nation." Taylor referred to the 12.5-mile gorge known as Glenwood Canyon. Today, the canyon road is the . . . — Map (db m120136) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), No Name — The California Zephyr
Glenwood Canyon inspired the finest hour in American rail travel. During World War II a railroad official rode through here in the cab of a diesel freight locomotive. The view from the panoramic windshield so impressed him that he began steps to rig . . . — Map (db m120140) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 10 — Bannister Furniturec. 1890
William H. Bannister came from Molina, Colorado in the 1890s and in 1897, bought an established furniture store and funeral parlor from M.O. Whitehead. At the time, many furniture stores sold caskets and had an undertaker on staff. W.H. . . . — Map (db m120072) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 12 — Benge’s Shoe Storec. 1911
Benge's store is the oldest shoe store in the state, possibly the oldest shoe store west of the Mississippi River. Founded in October of 1911, three generations of the Benge family have operated the business. Founder Bertrand Benge moved from . . . — Map (db m120051) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 2 — Grand Junction Elks Lodge #575c. 1900
Lodge #575 was founded in 1900 by local drug clerk, 32-year-old J. Morrison Wohlfort. Before the present Lodge home was built, the founding Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks met in the I.O.O.F Hall at 454 Main Street. Lodge #575 was . . . — Map (db m120078) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — Grand Junction News Established
Upon this site in October 1882 a vital cultural influence in the town of Grand Junction was established by the printing of the first newspaper ~ The Grand Junction News Edwin Price, Editor — Map (db m120052) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 13 — Majestic/Mesa Theaterc. 1894
This building originally housed the Mesa Opera Rink, which opened in 1885. It offered a 300-seat playhouse for live theater, musical, and vaudeville acts. Ballroom dancing was on the large wooden "Rink" floor. In 1907, the front of the building was . . . — Map (db m120045) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 9 — Mesa Drug/City Marketc. 1924
The Prinster family opened the first City Market Store in the back of this location with a storefront facing Fourth Street in 1924. By 1940, the Prinster Brothers built western Colorado's first supermarket one block to the north of this location. . . . — Map (db m120073) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 8 — Sampliner’s Dry Goodsc. 1890
In the 1890s, Joseph and Albert Sampliner started a small business selling men's fine clothing from a pushcart. The Sampliner cousins purchased their goods from bankrupt dry good stores in the Red Mountain mining district. The Sampliners . . . — Map (db m120071) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 5 — St. Regis Hotelc. 1892 — National Historic Register
An early stagecoach stop, The Grand Hotel, welcomed visitors with a tin-faced, two-story building, surrounded by shade trees, wooden sidewalks, and spacious lobby. In 1904 the building was purchased from William and Allie Neff and Anna Scott by . . . — Map (db m120050) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 21 — The Fair Buildingc. 1904 — City Historic Register
William J. Moyer was one of Mesa County's leading businessmen and philanthropists. He arrived in Grand Junction in 1890 and opened the original Fair Store across the street in a room measuring 12 ft. x 20 ft. with $700 in stock. In 1904, Moyer . . . — Map (db m120055) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 4 — Whitman Schoolc. 1925
This building was constructed in 1925, and served as an elementary school until 1965. It and the adjoining park, formerly known as Cottonwood, were named the Whitman School and Whitman Park, in honor of frontier missionary Marcus Whitman, who . . . — Map (db m120079) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Palisade — Colorado River Highway
Dedicated to The Pioneers of the Mountains and the Valleys of Western Colorado — Map (db m120041) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Building An Empire: The Spanish Frontier
The Spanish empire's influence on the American southwest began long before the 1776 journey of Dominguez and Escalante. Indeed, Spanish conquistadors, in search of gold and silver, explored the region as early as 1540. Santa Fe, the capital of New . . . — Map (db m120221) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Early Freighting Ventures
Bull Whackers and Mule Skinners Discovery of gold and silver in the 1870s in the San Juan Mountains south of Montrose created a demand for freighting services to haul equipment and supplies into the mines and carry out ore bound for . . . — Map (db m120127) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Founding of Montrose
  This plaque commemorates the establishment of the City of Montrose. First called Pomona, the original 320 acre townsite was laid out in January 1882 by O.D. Loutsenhizer and Joseph Selig. They were assisted by A. Pumphrey, John Baird, . . . — Map (db m120006) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — In Behalf of the Light
As Father Escalante so appropriately recorded in his diary, the Dominguez Escalante expedition was made “in behalf of the Light." Dominguez and Escalante were Franciscan priests, and their religion strongly influenced the course of their . . . — Map (db m120222) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Pageant in the Wilderness
On July 29, 1776, two Franciscan priests, Fray Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Fray Silvestre Velez de Escalante, led their eight companions out through the gates of Santa Fe and into the heart of the American southwest. Their five-month . . . — Map (db m120225) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120137) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120138) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120139) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120141) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120142) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120144) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120146) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120147) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — So Bold, So Beautiful a Land
It took bold men to ride into a bold land—a land of raging rivers, burning deserts, towering mountains, and rugged canyons. The land of the Southwest through which Dominguez and Escalante travelled in 1776 was awesome in beauty and . . . — Map (db m120226) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Dominguez-Escalante Expedition / Dominguez-Escalante Country
The Dominguez-Escalante Expedition Just south of here on August 27, 1776, the Spanish explorers Dominguez and Escalante met a Ute Indian whom they called El Surdo (The Deaf One). They were seeking a route west, the two Spaniards . . . — Map (db m120219) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Gunnison Tunnel
The Tunnel That Made the Desert Bloom Early settlers in the Uncompahgre Valley found getting water to the fertile but arid soil an ongoing challenge. Originally, irrigation water from the Uncompahgre River was diverted onto the land through . . . — Map (db m120134) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Utes / Uncompahgre River Country / Ouray (1833-1880) / Chipeta (1843-1924)
The Utes An Abundant Earth The bountiful food resources of the Uncompahgre Valley normally allowed the Tabeguache Utes a life free from hunger. Elk and deer ranged through the valley in profusion, as did antelope, mountain sheep, beaver, . . . — Map (db m120289) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Winds of Change
For hundreds of years, American Indians were virtually the sole inhabitants of western Colorado. Isolated by the towering mountain peaks and rugged canyons and plateaus, members of the Ute Indian tribe lived relatively undisturbed here until their . . . — Map (db m120148) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — What's in a Name?
The town of Montrose was originally known as Pomona, but early settler and town father, Joseph Selig, suggested the name Montrose after a favorite character in Sir William Scott's popular novel, The Legend of Montrose. Uncompahgre . . . — Map (db m120135) HM
Colorado (Summit County), Frisco — Stone Huts
These stone structures appear to be the remains of historic labor camps. Occupied during the late 19th Century, they were used as temporary dwellings by immigrant workers completing railroad construction in Ten Mile Canyon. The architecture of . . . — Map (db m120009) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Ault — Weld County Irrigation / Ault Country
Weld County Irrigation Here is a land where life is written in water. – Thomas Hornsby Ferril Hard-pressed to turn crusty sod into fertile soil, northern Colorado's earliest farmers devised an . . . — Map (db m120216) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Briggsdale — Cornish Grade School1914-1948
Adjacent to this site stood the, two-room school where on, July 10, 11, & 12, 1934, the first Stone Age Fair was held. In 1935, over 10,000 people from 41 states attended; President F. D. Roosevelt sent a congratulatory telegram; Will Rogers sent . . . — Map (db m119893) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Platteville — Fort Vasquez / Fort Vasquez Country
Fort Vasquez As trappers and explorers, Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette helped build the lucrative fur trade. But by 1835, when they raised Fort Vasquez midway between Fort Laramie and Bent's Old Fort along Trapper's Trail and . . . — Map (db m120215) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Watertown — Watertown World War II Monument
In Memory of the Sacrifices And the Efforts of the Citizens of This Town Who Served in World War II ( 1236 names are listed. The following were Killed In Action ) Atwood, Ellsworth B. ★ Baculus, Edward ★ Baldwin, . . . — Map (db m120292) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Rock Creek Park
Rock Creek Park was created by Congress in 1890 through the lobbying efforts of local philanthropist Charles C. Glover. Its original 1,754 acres taken mainly by eminent domain constitutes the largest urban park in America - twice the size of New . . . — Map (db m120161) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kalorama Triangle — Embassy of the Republic of MaltaWashington D.C.
This building in the historical district of Kalorama houses the Embassy and the Consulate of the Republic of Malta. It was built in 1903 on the plans of the noted American architect Waddy Butler Wood (1869-1944). In 1987 it was listed on the . . . — Map (db m119777) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — 15 of 17 — On the PathMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
The wooden chapel here was completed in 1857 as a mission of the McKendree Methodist Church. Known as Fletcher Chapel, it may have been a stop on the Underground Railroad. Washington's Anti-Saloon League began meeting at Fletcher Chapel in . . . — Map (db m120113) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — 16 of 17 — To Market, To MarketMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
After this neighborhood's original Northern Liberty Market on Mount Vernon Square was razed in 1872, a new Northern Liberty Market was built along Fifth between K and L streets. When owners decided that fresh farm products weren't drawing . . . — Map (db m120114) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northeast Washington — Eastland GardensBetween Kenilworth and Anacostia Avenues, and Lee and Ord Streets, NE — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
Water and land embrace one another here in Eastland Gardens, adjacent Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. The Neighborhood dates to 1928 when a group of developers call Eastland Gardens Inc. bought some 150 acres of the former Benning Racetrack property . . . — Map (db m119740) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Clarke County Confederate Monument
Erected by the Ladies’ Memorial Association. 1871. True to the Soil That gave them Birth and reared them Men: True to their Ancestors of High Renown And Hallowed Worth: Cherishing the Sentiments of Home and Country And the Allegiance there . . . — Map (db m120295) WM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 to 1902
“You triumphed over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined.”President McKinley Dedicated to The Veterans of 1898 to 1902 by the Camps and Auxiliaries of the Department of Georgia United States War . . . — Map (db m120240) WM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. Dedicated Oct. 6, 1964 — Map (db m120298) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church Athens, Georgia Founded 1820 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Erected 1855 — Map (db m120243) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Site of First Classes
Site of First Classes The University of Georgia, created by the Georgia General Assembly on January 27, 1785, is this nation's first state-chartered university. This building stands near the spot in a forest clearing where Josiah Meigs taught . . . — Map (db m120250) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-807 — 42nd Indiana InfantryJohn Beatty's Brigade — Negley's Division
Text on the Front Side of Monument:
42nd Indiana Infantry 1st Brigade, John Beatty 2nd Division, Negley 14th Corps. Thomas Text on the Back Side of Monument: Indiana's Tribute to Her Forty-Second . . . — Map (db m120288) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-547 — Beatty's BrigadeNegley's Division — Thomas' Corps
Beatty's Brigade Negley's Division - Thomas' Corps. September 20th, 9:30 a.m., 1863 104th Illinois - Lieutenant Colonel Douglas Hapeman. 42d Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel William T. B. McIntyre. 88th Indiana - Colonel . . . — Map (db m120281) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — Captain W. M. Cockrum
September 20th, 1863, 9:30 a.m. Captain later Lieutenant Colonel W.M. Cockrum Forty Second Indiana Infantry was desperately wounded at this point. — Map (db m120286) WM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m120096) HM WM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Alexander Stephens Clay
Alexander Stephens Clay Citizen, lawyer, statesman, Born on a Cobb County farm Sept. 25, 1853; Died a member of the United States Senate Nov. 13, 1910. His life was largely given to the service of his people - as Councilman of his home city. . . . — Map (db m120224) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Marietta National Cemetery
Marietta National Cemetery Atlanta Campaign During the Civil War, the fight for Atlanta began in early May 1864 in north Georgia. It ended when Union troops marched into the state capital on September 2. Over four months, Union and . . . — Map (db m120022) HM WM
Georgia (Fayette County), Fayetteville — Hopeful Primitive Baptist Church
Hopeful Primitive Baptist Church Est. 1825 The oldest church in Fayette County. The cemetery is the final resting place of veterans from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, WWI & WWII. Placed by Thomas Wingfield Chapter National . . . — Map (db m120067) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-692 — 59th Illinois InfantryPost's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side: 59th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Post. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook. This regiment was engaged in guarding trains September 19th and acted with Mitchell's Cavalry Corps at . . . — Map (db m120267) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-695 — 74th Illinois InfantryPost's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side: 74th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Post. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook. This regiment was engaged in guarding trains September 19th and acted with Mitchell's Cavalry Corps at . . . — Map (db m120262) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-696 — 75th Illinois InfantryPost's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side: 75th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Post. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook. This regiment was engaged in guarding trains September 19th and acted with Mitchell's Cavalry Corps at . . . — Map (db m120257) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-623 — Post's BrigadeDavis' Division — McCook's Corps
Post's Brigade Davis' Division - McCook's Corps. Colonel P. Sidney Post. September 19 and 20, 1863. 59th Illinois, Lieutenant Colonel Joshua C. Winters. 74th Illinois, Colonel Jason Marsh. 75th Illinois, Colonel John E. Bennett. 22nd . . . — Map (db m120277) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Burr Ridge — Bruno F. ShustekShustek Pond
Bruno F. Shustek Sept 10, 1899 - July 6, 1930 Shustek Pond In honor of Bruno F. Shustek, who gave his life attempting a daring midair rescue of parachutist Mary Fahrney, just northwest of this site, on July 6, 1930. This pond was . . . — Map (db m119952) HM
Illinois (Saline County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg
James A. Harris moved to this area in the 1820’s and established a sawmill and mule barn near the present corner of Vine and Church streets. Harris, John Cain, John Pankey and James Yandall donated land for the town site, platted in 1853. The area . . . — Map (db m119593) HM
Illinois (Saline County), Harrisburg — Saline County Courthouse Clock
This Clock was preserved by the Saline County Historical Society and donated to Harrisburg Operation Pride for the people of Saline County. The clock and the bell was manufactured by the Howard Clock Company of Boston, Mass. and was in use from 1904 . . . — Map (db m119595) HM

619 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 419
Paid Advertisement