Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

342 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 142
 
Dedication Ceremony, May 3, 2018 image, Touch for more information
Dedication Ceremony, May 3, 2018
Iceland, Southern Peninsula Suðurnes, Grindavik — Fallen But Not ForgottenUSAF, 8th Air Force, 93rd Bombardment Group, 330th Bombardment Squadron
Bandaríska B-24 Liberator - sprengjuflugvélin Hot Stuff, var fyrst flugvéla 8. flughersins til að ljtúka 25 árásarferðun frá Bretlandi yfir meginland Evrópu í heimsstyrjöldinni síðari.

The B-24 Liberator Hot Stuff was . . . — Map (db m120156) HM WM

Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Pinal de Amoles), Pinal de Amoles — The Church of Real San José del Pinal de los Amoles
La Iglesia del Real de San Jose del Pinal de los Amoles fue construida en el año de 1770 siendo Virrey Don Carlos Francisco de Croix, Marques de Croix; Arzobispo de Mexico Don Francisco Lorenzana y Butron; Alcalde Mayor de Cadereyta y . . . — Map (db m120301) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Santiago de Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Site of the Surrender of Maximilian
Aquí, hace cien años, Maximiliano de Habsburgo rindió su espada a Don Mariano Escobedo General en Jefe del Ejercito Republicano de Operaciones Queretaro, 15 de mayo de 1967 English translation: Here, one hundred . . . — Map (db m119983) WM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — A Royal Brewery Visit
Their Majesties King George III & Queen Charlotte were received in this brewery by Samuel Whitbread 24th May 1787 — Map (db m120126) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Bolt Court
Tuesday 15th September, 1964 The Sun was launched to replace the The Daily Herald. First printed at Boverie Street, south of Fleet Street. — Map (db m120042) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Cripplegate
Site of Cripplegate Demolished 1760 — Map (db m120081) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Salters Garden
Welcome to The Salters' Garden.

The Salters' Company is one of the Great Twelve Livery Companies of the City of London and was first licensed in 1394.

The Company built their seventh Hall here in 1976 following the destruction of the . . . — Map (db m120029) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lord Fisher
Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher 1841-1920 lived here as First Sea Lord 1904-1910 — Map (db m120075) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Shakespeare's Head
The Shakespeare's Head, which was built in 1735, was originally owned by Thomas & John Shakespeare, who were distant relatives of the poet.

In its early days, the tavern stood on the boundary line that divided the lands of the Mercers . . . — Map (db m120101) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — William Smith
William Smith M.P. 1756-1835 Pioneer of religious liberty lived here — Map (db m120074) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — A.W. Hofmann1818-1892
Professor of Chemistry lived here — Map (db m120032) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Burma Railway Memorial
In memory of the tens of thousands of British civilian and military personnel who suffered incarceration, many dying, in the Far East during the Second World War 1939 - 45, including those forced to labour on the Burma Railway. They ask for nothing . . . — Map (db m120043) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Emlyn Williams
(George) Emlyn Williams CBE 1905-1987 Actor & Playwright lived here 1930-1934 — Map (db m120125) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Frances Trollope
FRANCES TROLLOPE (1780-1863) author, lived at 16 Keppel Street near this site. Her sons, the authors THOMAS ADOLPHUS TROLLOPE (1810-1892) and ANTHONY TROLLOPE (1815-1882) were born there — Map (db m120106) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Jerome K. Jerome
Jerome K Jerome 1859-1927 Author of "Three Men in a Boat" lived here 1884-1885 — Map (db m120109) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Charles Eastlake1793-1865
Painter and First Director of the National Gallery lived here — Map (db m120034) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Rowland Hill
Sir ROWLAND HILL 1795-1879 Pioneer of the modern postal service lived in a house on this site 1836-1839 — Map (db m120104) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — William Reeve
William REEVE 1757-1815 Composer Covent Garden and Sadler's Wells theatres lived and died in a house on this site — Map (db m120124) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Centre — J.D. Jordan Jr. House
This house was built in 1846 by George Walden soon after the town of Centre was laid out. The house was occupied by Judge Wm. Lafayette Whitlock who was a lawyer, delegate to the 1861 Secession Convention and judge of the 12th judicial district. . . . — Map (db m120047) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Centre — Mose Hampton 1808-1885Early Black Leader and Inventor in Cherokee County
Mose Hampton bought his freedom prior to the Civil War. He was a builder, assisted in laying out and surveying the town of Centre, a minister in the Episcopal Methodist North, and an inventor. Mr. Hampton owned land in the vicinity of this marker on . . . — Map (db m120046) HM
Alabama (Marengo County), Demopolis — Marengo County Confederate Monument
Our Confederate Dead 1861  CSA  1865 — Map (db m120304) WM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m120002) WM

Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Creek TownsCreek Heritage Trail — Historic Chattahoochee Commission
Creek Towns At its height, the Creek Nation consisted of about 20,000 people living in more than seventy townships, or talwas (tvlwv), scattered throughout modern-day Alabama and Georgia. Creek townships commonly consisted of a primary . . . — Map (db m120007) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Cultural Exchange and CooperationCreek Heritage Trail — Historic Chattahoochee Commission
Cultural Exchange and Cooperation Though significant cultural conflict characterized Creek-American relations in the Chattahoochee Valley, and Creeks faced numerous forms of exploitation, not all relationships between Creeks and settlers were . . . — Map (db m120019) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell
Fort Mitchell Fort Mitchell is located on the Federal Road on the West bank overlooking the Chattahoochee River. General John Floyd received orders from Governor David B. Mitchell to pick up supplies, cross the Chattahoochee River and . . . — Map (db m120003) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — United States Indian Trading Post
United States Indian Trading Post The Battle of Horseshoe Bend, March 1814, ended the Creek Indian War. General Andrew Jackson met with Chief William Weatherford and signed the Treaty. The Creek Indians returned to their own land in the . . . — Map (db m120004) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Aubineau Building1912
Because of its prime location, this corner, containing two lots, was one of the earliest in Flagstaff to be developed. Pioneer merchant J. R. Kilpatrick built New Town's sixth building here in December 1883. This wooden store building burned in the . . . — Map (db m119945) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Downtowner1921 - 1935
The K.J. Nackard family came to Flagstaff in 1912 and opened a small general store at 106 E. Railroad Avenue. The store was successful. In 1921, Nackard built a home on this property, just a stone's throw from the store. Soon afterwards, . . . — Map (db m119932) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Oatman — Durlin Hotel
This property had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m119948) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Santa Fe Railroad
Across the Puerco River, the tracks of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad stretch for miles to the east and to the west. With no landforms or forests to block your view, you can see very long trains from beginning to end. More than 60 trains . . . — Map (db m119934) HM
Arizona (Navajo County), Holbrook — Wigwam Village #6
Dear Mr. Paul Lewis It is my pleasure to inform you that the Wigwam Village #6 at 811 W. Hopi Dr. in Holbrook was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2002. As you know, the National Register is the official listing . . . — Map (db m119936) HM
Arkansas (Faulkner County), Conway — 78 — Faulkner County in the Civil War
Front Faulkner County had divided loyalties during the Civil War. Soon after the war started, Col. A.R. Witt helped organize several companies for the 10th Arkansas Infantry (C.S.). After fighting at Shiloh, the 10th was captured at Port . . . — Map (db m119987) HM
Arkansas (Franklin County), Ozark — B-13 — Franklin County Court House
Ozark was designated as the county seat of Franklin County in 1837, and the first court house in the county was erected on this site in 1838. — Map (db m120001) HM
Arkansas (Saint Francis County), Madison — 88 — Madison in the Civil War
U.S. troops from Helena came through Madison many times during the Civil War. A 5th Kansas Cavalry patrol fought here twice during a March 5-12, 1863, expedition. Iowa and Indiana troops passed through in April 1863, and detachments of men from the . . . — Map (db m119982) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — 444 — Bennett-Arcan Long Camp
Near this spot the Bennett-Arcane contingent of the Death Valley '49ers, emigrants from the Middle West, seeking shortcut to California gold fields, were stranded for a month and almost perished from starvation. William Lewis Manley and John Rogers, . . . — Map (db m119959) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 1 — Pablo Galtes - Union CemeteryHistorical Marker #1
Pablo Galtes facilitated the establishment of the Catholic community of Bakersfield in the early 1870's. The first Mass celebrated in Bakersfield was said in the back of Pablo's store located on 19th Street near Chester Avenue. (Eleven family . . . — Map (db m120209) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Angelino Heights — Carroll Avenue1300 Block
A street of houses designed in the Eastlake and Queen Anne styles of the late 19th century, exhibiting the finest collection of Victorian domestic architecture remaining in Los Angeles. From their vantage point on Angelino Heights, these houses have . . . — Map (db m120038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Lt. Gen. James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle, (USAF Retired)Aerospace Walk of Honor
Jimmy Doolittle played an important role in the development of Air Force research at Edwards AFB. He was one of the founding fathers of Systems Command (Air Force Research and Development Command). Through the late 1980's, Doolittle made annual . . . — Map (db m120207) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Angel’s Flight
Built in 1901 by Colonel J. W. Eddy, lawyer, engineer, and friend of President Lincoln, Angel's Flight is said to be the world's shortest incorporated railway. The counterbalanced cars, controlled by cables, travel a 33 percent grade for 315 . . . — Map (db m120118) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Historical Site
This block is the site of: First brick school house in Los Angeles known as School No. 1, built 1854-1855 Butterfield Overland Mail Company office and corral 1858-1861 Office of U.S. Quartermaster 1861 Corral for camels from Fort Tejon . . . — Map (db m120061) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Malibu — 965 — Point Dume (Dumé)
On November 24, 1793, English explorer George Vancouver, commander of an expedition to determine the extent of settlement of the northwest coast of America, named this rocky promontory, Point Dume, after his Franciscan friend, Father Francisco . . . — Map (db m120173) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry Springs — 143 — Newberry Springs
The history of Newberry Springs can be traced back more than 20,000 years. Digs at the Early Man Site north of here discovered tools dating prior to 20,000 BC. At that time, much of the land was covered by the prehistoric Lake Manix. Then, around . . . — Map (db m119927) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — 490 — Cucamonga Winery
Established by Tiburcio Tapia, to whom the Cucamonga Rancho was granted March 3, 1839 by Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado of Mexico. — Map (db m119944) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Barbara Jordan(1936-1996) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Noted politician and civil rights leader, widely considered to be the first openly lesbian representative elected to the United States Congress — Map (db m120172) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — José Sarria(1922-2013) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Army veteran, drag performer, politcal activist, first openly gay candidate for public office in the world, founder of the Imperial Court System

Jose SarriaMap (db m120176) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Kiyoshi Kuromiya(1943-2000) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Japanese-Americas human rights activist and founder of the Critical Path Project, one of the earliest resources for information about HIV research and treatment — Map (db m120181) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Sally Ride(1951-2012) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Physicist and astronaut, the first American woman in space, where as a mission specialist she helped to launch satellites and conduct scientific experiments

Sally RideMap (db m120150) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Jackson BrewerySan Francisco City Landmark No. 199
Established in the 1850's, the Jackson Brewing Company operated under the ownership of the Frederick family at this site from its completion in 1912 until the onset of Prohibition in 1919. James T. Ludlow, an engineer, designed this building brew . . . — Map (db m120151) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Victoria Manalo Draves
Victoria Manalo Draves was the first Asian-American woman to win an Olympic medal when she earned gold medals in the 3-meter springboard and the 10-meter platform diving competitions at the 1948 Olympics. Born in the South of Market area to an . . . — Map (db m120149) HM
California (San Louis Obispo County), McKittrick — Painted Rock
Rising above the Carrizo Plain is Painted Rock, an important cultural and spiritual site to California’s native peoples. Most of the pictographs, or painted images found on Painted Rock, are characteristic of the Chumash who lived on the Channel . . . — Map (db m119992) HM
California (San Louis Obispo County), McKittrick — Wallace CreekSan Andreas Fault
Welcome to Wallace Creek. Yes, you are looking at a creek. Wallace Creek may seem insignificant compared to other streams or rivers, after all, on most days of the year, it is bone dry. But it tells an important and exciting story. As you can . . . — Map (db m119884) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114 — El Caballo
Friar Pedro Benito Cambón—the mission’s co-founder was highly regarded for his knowledge of irrigation, agriculture and building construction—directed Chumash laborers to build this filtration building in 1792 as part of the mission’s . . . — Map (db m120200) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114-1 — Rancho Cañada LargaMission Aqueduct
Rancho Cañada Larga o Verde, as it was originally known, came out of lands of the San Buenaventura Mission. Following Mexican independence from Spain, Joaquina Alvarado de Moraga, whose late husband, Gabriel Moraga, was a distinguished soldier of . . . — Map (db m120201) HM
Colorado (Baca County), Springfield — Baca County Trails
The Cimarron Cutoff and Granada Road were branches of the Santa Fe Trail from Missouri to Santa Fe. The Aubrey and Penrose were other trails. From 1866-97 thousands of Texas cattle were driven to Montana on the XIT and National Cattle trails. — Map (db m120040) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — Colorado's Northern Coal FieldLest We Forget
Colorado's immense northern coal field, centered beneath these rolling hills, contributed to the early development and growth of Colorado and to the birth of nearby towns. Miners and mine owners in this area battled over issues of workers' . . . — Map (db m120145) HM
Colorado (Boulder County), Lafayette — Miner's Museum
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m120143) HM
Colorado (Custer County), Westcliffe — Mining and Ranching / Early Settlement / Westcliffe and Silver Cliff / Westcliffe Country
Mining and Ranching For a time, the Wet Mountain Valley appeared destined for mining glory. Silver strikes at Rosita (about fifteen miles southeast of here) in 1872, Querida (about twelve miles southeast) in 1877, and Silver Cliff (six . . . — Map (db m120228) HM
Colorado (Delta County), Delta — Fort Uncompahgre
One of the many trading posts built by Antoine (Anton French) Robidoux, First built around 1828 at the juncture of the Grand (Gunnison) and Uncompahgre Rivers then a territory of Mexico and Ute Indian country on the well traveled "Old . . . — Map (db m120059) HM
Colorado (Delta County), Delta — Western Slope Agriculture / Delta County
Western Slope Agriculture According to an 1888 U.S. Department of Agriculture report, western Colorado's thin soils, high altitude, and lack of rainfall rendered the region totally unfit for cultivation. The document’s author apparently . . . — Map (db m120123) HM
Colorado (Eagle County), Edwards — Skiing in Colorado / The Ski Industry Snowballs / Ski Colorado / Edwards Country
Skiing in Colorado The earliest recorded use of skis in Colorado dates to 1857, when mountain guide Jim Bridger fashioned a crude pair to bail out an army unit snowbound in the San Juan Mountains. Such was the function of "snowshoes" . . . — Map (db m120241) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — "The First National Bank Building"802 Grand Avenue
On March 15, 1887, excavation for a three-story brick and stone building began on lots at 802 Grand Avenue for the First National Bank building. At the time, The Glenwood Echo newspaper reported that the First National Bank offices would occupy the . . . — Map (db m120089) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Building Interstate 70 Through Glenwood Canyon
From Vision to Reality Glenwood Canyon has been a critical link in the nation's ground transportation network ever since the completion of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad in 1887. Later, Taylor State Road, a continuous wagon road between . . . — Map (db m120263) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Citizens National Bank Building1913
The Citizens National Bank Building stands as Glenwood Springs landmark. The Citizens Building and Improvement Company was founded in 1910. Construction of the Citizens National Bank Building began in January, 1913. The building was completed . . . — Map (db m120085) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Hotel Denver
In the late 1800's to the early 1900's, saloons, restaurants, and rooming houses occupied this block. In 1904, Frank Walter constructed two buildings - one three-story - in the block. Walter leased the ground floor of the three-story building (406 . . . — Map (db m120084) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Hughes-Anderson Building
The commercial building at 824-826 Grand Avenue was constructed in 1888. The brick building was initially occupied by a hardware store and an agricultural implement shop on the first floor, furnished rooms on the second floor, and a tin shop in the . . . — Map (db m120102) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — I.O.O.F. Building
Sovereign Grand Lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F) working hard to establish their own permanent meeting place. After being in many different locations in the downtown, the began construction of their new lodge in 1898. The . . . — Map (db m120086) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Illuminating the Future
Expansion to Hydroelectric Devereux's dreams for Glenwood Springs' growth were so successful that the demands for his electrical power grew quickly. The years 1887 and 1888 saw the design and construction of the current building, the . . . — Map (db m120133) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — McCoy-Armory Building
This current address has incorporated numbers 827 and 829 Grand Avenue. The earliest maps show buildings on this site since 1888, but the year 1913 has J.F. McCoy constructing his building. In 1917, the State of Colorado purchased the building for . . . — Map (db m120087) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Rex Hotel
This site - Lot 9 Block 45 - housed what in later years would be known as the Rex Hotel. Glenwood Springs founder Isaac Cooper first owned the property, but between 1887 to 1892, ownership changed hands several times. During this time, several small . . . — Map (db m120082) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — Star Hotel
In 1906 Henry Bosco had a whole liquor and Coca-Cola bottling business operating in the basement of a saloon at 414 Seventh Street. Within a few years, Henry purchased the building that housed his business and the adjacent lot to the east. In 1915, . . . — Map (db m120083) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — The Glenwood Springs Hydroelectric Plant
The Vision The year was 1886. Walter Devereux, a wealthy silver mining venture capitalist from Aspen, turned his vision downvalley to Glenwood Springs to develop the next world class resort. The area's climate, rich land, rivers and free . . . — Map (db m120130) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), Glenwood Springs — The Hotel Glenwood
The original building at this site was built in 1883 and was called the Hotel Colorado. It was quickly found too small for its needs and plans were made to replace it. In 1884, Isaac Cooper, William Gelder, and Joseph Enzensperger made plans . . . — Map (db m120095) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 4 — Barry Building — New Castle Museum on the Street
In 1893, this two-story building served as a general merchandise establishment. Daniel Barry operated his business here until 1897. Cohn, Doll & Co (later Doll Bros. and Smith) operated a dry goods and general merchandise store here, followed by the . . . — Map (db m120103) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 2 — Exchange Stables — New Castle Museum on the Street
In the early days of New Castle, horses were at the center of all activity. The building before you was where that activity happened. C.H. Noren & Son, who rented horses and rigs for hauling, operated the livery business. Later Levi Strauss and A . . . — Map (db m120105) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — Jolley Trail
The Jolley Trail is named after a longtime New Castle family that ran sheep and lived on the land this trail traverses today. In 1919 the Jolley Brothers — Herb, Malcolm (Mack), Henry and Lee — who were some of the first sheepmen . . . — Map (db m120108) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — New Castle Coal Mine Memorial
This memorial is placed in honor of the men who lost their lives in the coal mines of New Castle. Vulcan Mine - February 18, 1896 {List of names} Vulcan Mine - December 12, 1913 {List of names} Vulcan . . . — Map (db m120120) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 5 — Odd Fellows Hall
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows insignia still appears on the façade of this building, built in 1990. As with many early buildings, the ground floor was used for commercial purposes. Here the ground floor was occupied by a saloon, later by J.W. . . . — Map (db m120119) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), New Castle — 8 — St. John's Episcopal Church — New Castle Museum on the Street
St. John's is New Castle's oldest existing church. The cornerstone of the building was laid on November 2, 1908 and the first service was held on Easter Sunday, April 11, 1909. There has been very little change to the exterior of the building since . . . — Map (db m120107) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), No Name — A Grand Boulevard
In 1905, Colorado state senator Edward T. Taylor said, "I hope that someday our road will be a portion of a grand boulevard stretching across the nation." Taylor referred to the 12.5-mile gorge known as Glenwood Canyon. Today, the canyon road is the . . . — Map (db m120136) HM
Colorado (Garfield County), No Name — The California Zephyr
Glenwood Canyon inspired the finest hour in American rail travel. During World War II a railroad official rode through here in the cab of a diesel freight locomotive. The view from the panoramic windshield so impressed him that he began steps to rig . . . — Map (db m120140) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 10 — Bannister Furniturec. 1890
William H. Bannister came from Molina, Colorado in the 1890s and in 1897, bought an established furniture store and funeral parlor from M.O. Whitehead. At the time, many furniture stores sold caskets and had an undertaker on staff. W.H. . . . — Map (db m120072) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 12 — Benge’s Shoe Storec. 1911
Benge's store is the oldest shoe store in the state, possibly the oldest shoe store west of the Mississippi River. Founded in October of 1911, three generations of the Benge family have operated the business. Founder Bertrand Benge moved from . . . — Map (db m120051) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 2 — Grand Junction Elks Lodge #575c. 1900
Lodge #575 was founded in 1900 by local drug clerk, 32-year-old J. Morrison Wohlfort. Before the present Lodge home was built, the founding Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks met in the I.O.O.F Hall at 454 Main Street. Lodge #575 was . . . — Map (db m120078) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — Grand Junction News Established
Upon this site in October 1882 a vital cultural influence in the town of Grand Junction was established by the printing of the first newspaper ~ The Grand Junction News Edwin Price, Editor — Map (db m120052) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 13 — Majestic/Mesa Theaterc. 1894
This building originally housed the Mesa Opera Rink, which opened in 1885. It offered a 300-seat playhouse for live theater, musical, and vaudeville acts. Ballroom dancing was on the large wooden "Rink" floor. In 1907, the front of the building was . . . — Map (db m120045) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 9 — Mesa Drug/City Marketc. 1924
The Prinster family opened the first City Market Store in the back of this location with a storefront facing Fourth Street in 1924. By 1940, the Prinster Brothers built western Colorado's first supermarket one block to the north of this location. . . . — Map (db m120073) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 8 — Sampliner’s Dry Goodsc. 1890
In the 1890s, Joseph and Albert Sampliner started a small business selling men's fine clothing from a pushcart. The Sampliner cousins purchased their goods from bankrupt dry good stores in the Red Mountain mining district. The Sampliners . . . — Map (db m120071) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 5 — St. Regis Hotelc. 1892 — National Historic Register
An early stagecoach stop, The Grand Hotel, welcomed visitors with a tin-faced, two-story building, surrounded by shade trees, wooden sidewalks, and spacious lobby. In 1904 the building was purchased from William and Allie Neff and Anna Scott by . . . — Map (db m120050) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 21 — The Fair Buildingc. 1904 — City Historic Register
William J. Moyer was one of Mesa County's leading businessmen and philanthropists. He arrived in Grand Junction in 1890 and opened the original Fair Store across the street in a room measuring 12 ft. x 20 ft. with $700 in stock. In 1904, Moyer . . . — Map (db m120055) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Grand Junction — 4 — Whitman Schoolc. 1925
This building was constructed in 1925, and served as an elementary school until 1965. It and the adjoining park, formerly known as Cottonwood, were named the Whitman School and Whitman Park, in honor of frontier missionary Marcus Whitman, who . . . — Map (db m120079) HM
Colorado (Mesa County), Palisade — Colorado River Highway
Dedicated to The Pioneers of the Mountains and the Valleys of Western Colorado — Map (db m120041) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Building An Empire: The Spanish Frontier
The Spanish empire's influence on the American southwest began long before the 1776 journey of Dominguez and Escalante. Indeed, Spanish conquistadors, in search of gold and silver, explored the region as early as 1540. Santa Fe, the capital of New . . . — Map (db m120221) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Early Freighting Ventures
Bull Whackers and Mule Skinners Discovery of gold and silver in the 1870s in the San Juan Mountains south of Montrose created a demand for freighting services to haul equipment and supplies into the mines and carry out ore bound for . . . — Map (db m120127) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Founding of Montrose
  This plaque commemorates the establishment of the City of Montrose. First called Pomona, the original 320 acre townsite was laid out in January 1882 by O.D. Loutsenhizer and Joseph Selig. They were assisted by A. Pumphrey, John Baird, . . . — Map (db m120006) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — In Behalf of the Light
As Father Escalante so appropriately recorded in his diary, the Dominguez Escalante expedition was made “in behalf of the Light." Dominguez and Escalante were Franciscan priests, and their religion strongly influenced the course of their . . . — Map (db m120222) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Pageant in the Wilderness
On July 29, 1776, two Franciscan priests, Fray Francisco Atanasio Dominguez and Fray Silvestre Velez de Escalante, led their eight companions out through the gates of Santa Fe and into the heart of the American southwest. Their five-month . . . — Map (db m120225) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120137) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120138) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120139) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120141) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120142) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120144) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120146) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120147) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — So Bold, So Beautiful a Land
It took bold men to ride into a bold land—a land of raging rivers, burning deserts, towering mountains, and rugged canyons. The land of the Southwest through which Dominguez and Escalante travelled in 1776 was awesome in beauty and . . . — Map (db m120226) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Dominguez-Escalante Expedition / Dominguez-Escalante Country
The Dominguez-Escalante Expedition Just south of here on August 27, 1776, the Spanish explorers Dominguez and Escalante met a Ute Indian whom they called El Surdo (The Deaf One). They were seeking a route west, the two Spaniards . . . — Map (db m120219) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Gunnison Tunnel
The Tunnel That Made the Desert Bloom Early settlers in the Uncompahgre Valley found getting water to the fertile but arid soil an ongoing challenge. Originally, irrigation water from the Uncompahgre River was diverted onto the land through . . . — Map (db m120134) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Utes / Uncompahgre River Country / Ouray (1833-1880) / Chipeta (1843-1924)
The Utes An Abundant Earth The bountiful food resources of the Uncompahgre Valley normally allowed the Tabeguache Utes a life free from hunger. Elk and deer ranged through the valley in profusion, as did antelope, mountain sheep, beaver, . . . — Map (db m120289) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — The Winds of Change
For hundreds of years, American Indians were virtually the sole inhabitants of western Colorado. Isolated by the towering mountain peaks and rugged canyons and plateaus, members of the Ute Indian tribe lived relatively undisturbed here until their . . . — Map (db m120148) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — What's in a Name?
The town of Montrose was originally known as Pomona, but early settler and town father, Joseph Selig, suggested the name Montrose after a favorite character in Sir William Scott's popular novel, The Legend of Montrose. Uncompahgre . . . — Map (db m120135) HM
Colorado (Summit County), Frisco — Stone Huts
These stone structures appear to be the remains of historic labor camps. Occupied during the late 19th Century, they were used as temporary dwellings by immigrant workers completing railroad construction in Ten Mile Canyon. The architecture of . . . — Map (db m120009) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Ault — Weld County Irrigation / Ault Country
Weld County Irrigation Here is a land where life is written in water. – Thomas Hornsby Ferril Hard-pressed to turn crusty sod into fertile soil, northern Colorado's earliest farmers devised an . . . — Map (db m120216) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Platteville — Fort Vasquez / Fort Vasquez Country
Fort Vasquez As trappers and explorers, Louis Vasquez and Andrew Sublette helped build the lucrative fur trade. But by 1835, when they raised Fort Vasquez midway between Fort Laramie and Bent's Old Fort along Trapper's Trail and . . . — Map (db m120215) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Watertown — Watertown World War II Monument
In Memory of the Sacrifices And the Efforts of the Citizens of This Town Who Served in World War II ( 1236 names are listed. The following were Killed In Action ) Atwood, Ellsworth B. ★ Baculus, Edward ★ Baldwin, . . . — Map (db m120292) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Rock Creek Park
Rock Creek Park was created by Congress in 1890 through the lobbying efforts of local philanthropist Charles C. Glover. Its original 1,754 acres taken mainly by eminent domain constitutes the largest urban park in America - twice the size of New . . . — Map (db m120161) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kalorama Triangle — Embassy of the Republic of MaltaWashington D.C.
This building in the historical district of Kalorama houses the Embassy and the Consulate of the Republic of Malta. It was built in 1903 on the plans of the noted American architect Waddy Butler Wood (1869-1944). In 1987 it was listed on the . . . — Map (db m119777) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — 15 of 17 — On the PathMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
The wooden chapel here was completed in 1857 as a mission of the McKendree Methodist Church. Known as Fletcher Chapel, it may have been a stop on the Underground Railroad. Washington's Anti-Saloon League began meeting at Fletcher Chapel in . . . — Map (db m120113) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — 16 of 17 — To Market, To MarketMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
After this neighborhood's original Northern Liberty Market on Mount Vernon Square was razed in 1872, a new Northern Liberty Market was built along Fifth between K and L streets. When owners decided that fresh farm products weren't drawing . . . — Map (db m120114) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Northeast Washington — Eastland GardensBetween Kenilworth and Anacostia Avenues, and Lee and Ord Streets, NE — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
Water and land embrace one another here in Eastland Gardens, adjacent Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. The Neighborhood dates to 1928 when a group of developers call Eastland Gardens Inc. bought some 150 acres of the former Benning Racetrack property . . . — Map (db m119740) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Clarke County Confederate Monument
Erected by the Ladies’ Memorial Association. 1871. True to the Soil That gave them Birth and reared them Men: True to their Ancestors of High Renown And Hallowed Worth: Cherishing the Sentiments of Home and Country And the Allegiance there . . . — Map (db m120295) WM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 to 1902
“You triumphed over obstacles which would have overcome men less brave and determined.”President McKinley Dedicated to The Veterans of 1898 to 1902 by the Camps and Auxiliaries of the Department of Georgia United States War . . . — Map (db m120240) WM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior First Home of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. Dedicated Oct. 6, 1964 — Map (db m120298) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church Athens, Georgia Founded 1820 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Erected 1855 — Map (db m120243) HM
Georgia (Athens-Clarke County), Athens — Site of First Classes
Site of First Classes The University of Georgia, created by the Georgia General Assembly on January 27, 1785, is this nation's first state-chartered university. This building stands near the spot in a forest clearing where Josiah Meigs taught . . . — Map (db m120250) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-807 — 42nd Indiana InfantryJohn Beatty's Brigade — Negley's Division
Text on the Front Side of Monument:
42nd Indiana Infantry 1st Brigade, John Beatty 2nd Division, Negley 14th Corps. Thomas Text on the Back Side of Monument: Indiana's Tribute to Her Forty-Second . . . — Map (db m120288) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-547 — Beatty's BrigadeNegley's Division — Thomas' Corps
Beatty's Brigade Negley's Division - Thomas' Corps. September 20th, 9:30 a.m., 1863 104th Illinois - Lieutenant Colonel Douglas Hapeman. 42d Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel William T. B. McIntyre. 88th Indiana - Colonel . . . — Map (db m120281) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — Captain W. M. Cockrum
September 20th, 1863, 9:30 a.m. Captain later Lieutenant Colonel W.M. Cockrum Forty Second Indiana Infantry was desperately wounded at this point. — Map (db m120286) WM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m120096) HM WM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Alexander Stephens Clay
Alexander Stephens Clay Citizen, lawyer, statesman, Born on a Cobb County farm Sept. 25, 1853; Died a member of the United States Senate Nov. 13, 1910. His life was largely given to the service of his people - as Councilman of his home city. . . . — Map (db m120224) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Marietta National Cemetery
Marietta National Cemetery Atlanta Campaign During the Civil War, the fight for Atlanta began in early May 1864 in north Georgia. It ended when Union troops marched into the state capital on September 2. Over four months, Union and . . . — Map (db m120022) HM WM
Georgia (Fayette County), Fayetteville — Hopeful Primitive Baptist Church
Hopeful Primitive Baptist Church Est. 1825 The oldest church in Fayette County. The cemetery is the final resting place of veterans from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, WWI & WWII. Placed by Thomas Wingfield Chapter National . . . — Map (db m120067) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-692 — 59th Illinois InfantryPost's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side: 59th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Post. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook. This regiment was engaged in guarding trains September 19th and acted with Mitchell's Cavalry Corps at . . . — Map (db m120267) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-695 — 74th Illinois InfantryPost's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side: 74th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Post. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook. This regiment was engaged in guarding trains September 19th and acted with Mitchell's Cavalry Corps at . . . — Map (db m120262) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-696 — 75th Illinois InfantryPost's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side: 75th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Post. 1st Division - Davis. 20th Army Corps - McCook. This regiment was engaged in guarding trains September 19th and acted with Mitchell's Cavalry Corps at . . . — Map (db m120257) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-623 — Post's BrigadeDavis' Division — McCook's Corps
Post's Brigade Davis' Division - McCook's Corps. Colonel P. Sidney Post. September 19 and 20, 1863. 59th Illinois, Lieutenant Colonel Joshua C. Winters. 74th Illinois, Colonel Jason Marsh. 75th Illinois, Colonel John E. Bennett. 22nd . . . — Map (db m120277) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Burr Ridge — Bruno F. ShustekShustek Pond
Bruno F. Shustek Sept 10, 1899 - July 6, 1930 Shustek Pond In honor of Bruno F. Shustek, who gave his life attempting a daring midair rescue of parachutist Mary Fahrney, just northwest of this site, on July 6, 1930. This pond was . . . — Map (db m119952) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — John B. Franke1866 – 1927
“Well done, good and faithful servant.” (Ft. Wayne Chamber of Commerce – Jan. 7, 2927)

J.B. Franke dedicated his lift to service of others. He donated 80 acres to the City of Fort Wayne, which is now known as Franke park. . . . — Map (db m119974) HM

Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Major General Anthony Wayne
In the early 1790s, the United States Army suffered two serious defeats at the hands of Indians under the leadership of Little Turtle, war chief of the Miami nation. In response, President George Washington sent Revolutionary War hero Gen. . . . — Map (db m119973) HM
Indiana (St Joseph County), South Bend — Schuyler Colfax
Schuyler Colfax Vice President of the United States 1869 to 1873 Statesman and Beloved Citizen South Bend Post 50 American Legion Acknowledges the Services He Rendered His Country — Map (db m120066) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Danville — 1328 — Capt. George Givens
Homesite and grave 1 mile west. B., Orange Co., Va., 1740. D., 1825. 40 years service to his country. Lt. at Fort Pitt, Dunmore's War, 1774. Captain, Botetourt County militia, 1776. Northwest Campaign of George Rogers Clark, 1778. Came to Ky., 1781. . . . — Map (db m120112) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Junction City — 2233 — Traveler's Rest
Isaac Shelby, 1st & 5th governor, came to Ky. as a surveyor in 1775. He claimed 1400 acres in 1776 by raising a crop of corn. In 1779 he received 1st land settlement & premption deed granted by Va. Land Commission. His home, Traveler's Rest, . . . — Map (db m120115) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Junction City — 95 — Traveler's Rest
. . . — Map (db m120116) HM
Kentucky (Breckinridge County), Cloverport — 73 — Lincoln Family Trail
Abraham Lincoln, then a lad of 7, with other members of the Thomas Lincoln family crossed the Ohio River on a log raft ferry near here in 1816. The Lincolns were moving to Indiana. — Map (db m119796) HM
Kentucky (Breckinridge County), Hardinsburg — 1170 — County Named, 1799
For John Breckinridge, 1760-1806. Attorney General of Kentucky, 1793-97. Representative in Kentucky Legislature, 1797-1801. Coauthor with Jefferson of 1798 Kentucky Resolutions, opposing U.S. Alien and Sedition Acts. Appointed Attorney General of . . . — Map (db m119798) HM
Kentucky (Daviess County), Owensboro — 1456 — Daviess Countians Who Served
During World War I approximately 80,000 men enlisted from Kentucky. Of this number 1,747 that answered the call to serve, between April 1917 and November 1918, were from Daviess County. Seventy-one were killed in action and seventy-six others . . . — Map (db m119828) WM
Kentucky (Daviess County), Owensboro — 2384 — Medal of Honor Winners
(side 1) Daviess Co. natives who have received the Medal of Honor: John J. Given–Corp, Co K, 6th U.S. Cavalry. Died while trying to recover a fallen soldier at Wichita River, Texas, July 12, 1870. Thomas Cruse- 2nd . . . — Map (db m119829) HM WM
Kentucky (Daviess County), Owensboro — Wendell H. Ford
. . . — Map (db m119827) HM
Kentucky (Hancock County), Hawesville — 762 — County Named - 1829
For John Hancock, 1737-93. Patriot, statesman and soldier. President of Continental Congress, 1775-77, and bold first signer of the Declaration of Independence. Mayor-general of Mass. militia in Revolutionary War, member of the Mass. Constitutional . . . — Map (db m119794) HM
Kentucky (Hancock County), Hawesville — 1856 — Hawesville Railroad Station
(side 1) Rails of Louisville, St. Louis, and Texas Railroad laid here June 9, 1888. First passenger train ran between Owensboro and Stephensport Oct. 7, 1888. Service between Evansville and Louisville began in April 1889. Rail line . . . — Map (db m119799) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), Elizabethtown — 1534 — Commodore Joshua Barney / First Brick House
(side 1 – Commodore Joshua Barney) Famous American privateer and naval hero in War of 1812. Barney owned many acres of land in Hardin CO. A friend of George Washington, John Paul Jones and Napoleon Bonaparte. His greatest desire . . . — Map (db m119791) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), Elizabethtown — Sarah Bush Johnston LincolnAnother footprint along the Lincoln Trail.
A memorial to the most famous step-mother in American History. This cabin is a close replica of one lived in by local woman Sarah Bush Johnston and her three children in the early 1800's.

Sarah married Thomas Lincoln on Dec. 2, 1819, in . . . — Map (db m120044) HM

Kentucky (Henderson County), Henderson — Admiral Husband Edward Kimmel
Appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland in 1900, Kimmel graduated with honors in 1904. Over his career he served on several battleships, commanded two destroyer divisions, a destroyer squadron, and the battleship USS New York. . . . — Map (db m119784) HM WM
Kentucky (Henderson County), Henderson — Husband Edward Kimmel
Born in Henderson, Kentucky on February 26, 1882. Kimmel was one of seven children of Marius Manning and Sibbella Lambert Kimmel. The family home was at 512 North Green Street (a state historical plaque marks the spot). He went through his . . . — Map (db m119783) HM WM
Kentucky (Henderson County), Henderson — John James Audubon Store Site
On this corner stood the General Merchandise Store of John James Audubon 1810-1820 Erected by Mann Bros. May 14, 1925Map (db m119778) HM
Kentucky (Henderson County), Henderson — 878 — Kimmel Homestead
Site of home of three generations of Kimmels. Indian fighter, Civil War Major (CSA) Manning M. bought it in 1872. His son, Husband E., born here, 1882. He graduated at Annapolis, 1904. Named Commander-in-Chief of US Fleet, Feb. 1, 1941. Stationed at . . . — Map (db m119789) HM
Kentucky (Henderson County), Henderson — Nancy Morgan HartRevolutionary Heroine — 1735-1830
Placed by the Gen. Sam'l Hopkins Chapter — Map (db m119772) HM
Kentucky (Lincoln County), Stanford — 2268 — Boneyville
One of several “free towns” in Lincoln Co. Created in 1867 from Hugh Hays’ estate and named for founder, Napoleon Bonaparte Hays (1838-1907). “Boney” earned freedom in 1864 enlisting at Camp Nelson as Pvt., Co. C., 12th Regt. . . . — Map (db m120132) HM
Kentucky (Lincoln County), Stanford — Isaac Shelby
The General and Statesman Isaac Shelby’s military decisions at the Battle of King’s Mountain in 1779 secured a critical victory for America during the Revolutionary War. Before war’s end, Shelby had also served in the North Carolina . . . — Map (db m120121) HM
Kentucky (Lincoln County), Stanford — Isaac Shelby Cemetery
Isaac Shelby, soldier, statesman, and surveyor, was Kentucky’s first governor. He served from 1792 to 1796 and was re-elected in 1812. Shelby came to Kentucky in 1774 when he was hired by the Transylvania Company to survey the new Kentucky . . . — Map (db m120117) HM
Kentucky (Lincoln County), Stanford — 1590 — McCormack Christian Church
Daniel McCormack donated land for church, graveyard and school, 1819, to replace log church built by Baptists, circa 1785. Structure was used by several denominations. In 1830 most of original members became affiliated with the Disciples of Christ, . . . — Map (db m120129) HM
Kentucky (McCreary County), Parkers Lake — 666 — 4-H Craft Center
Established 1963 by 4-H Clubs of McCreary County, the first such center in the U.S. developed by 4-H Clubs. The original log cabin built in this site in a 200-acre land grant to John Abbott, 1842. Abbott and Indian wife, Oocella, lived in cabin . . . — Map (db m120111) HM
Kentucky (Rowan County), Morehead — Capt. William E. Barber, USMCRecipient, Medal of Honor
A native of nearby Morgan County, Capt. Barber received our nation's highest decoration for bravery for heroically leading his Marine rifle company in a desperate five-day defense of a frozen mountain pass vital to the 1st Marine Division's breakout . . . — Map (db m120060) HM WM
Kentucky (Rowan County), Morehead — University Breckinridge School1929 - 1982
Founded as a laboratory school for teacher training, served the community well by providing a quality education for children grades kindergarten through twelve — Map (db m120062) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2102 — Clyde V. and Patricia Bennett Building
This building was constructed in 1906 at a cost of $20,000 and known as the Reuben D. Hill Building. Name was changed to the Gray Brick Buidling when it was purchased, along with two other buildings, by the Williamsburg Institute in 1907 from . . . — Map (db m119994) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 1837 — Cumberland College
Founded as Williamsburg Institute in 1889 under the leadership of General Green Clay Smith and R. C. Medaris to provide affordable Christian education for mountain people. Early supporters were James P. and Thomas B. Mahan, Ancil Gatliff, Edwin S. . . . — Map (db m119991) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 898 — First White Men Here
Dr. Thomas Walker, employed by Loyal Land Co., in 1750 led five Virginians through Cumberland Gap. Built cabin at Barbourville site. Walker and two others went on to Rockcastle River, thence southwest to Young's Creek, up Cumberland River and Watt's . . . — Map (db m119975) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2101 — Gillespie Hall
Originally Johnson Hall, it was renamed Gillespie Hall in 1995. Built in 1893 and dedicated on February 11, 1894, in memory of William James Johnson, college's first president. Girls occupied the hall for first year; boys occupied the hall from . . . — Map (db m120057) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2084 — Mahan Hall
Mahan Hall was constructed in 1906 for use as a dormitory for men at Cumberland College. Originally named Felix Hall in honor of board of trustees member, Dr. W. H. Felix of Lexington, Ky. Named changed to Mahan Hall, May 1954, in honor of E. C. . . . — Map (db m120058) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2100 — Roburn Hall
Built in 1888 as the first building of Williamsburg Institute. First known as the "Institute," then an "Old Recitation Building." The land purchased for $800; contractor was J. A. Cooley. The $12,500 building served 200 pupils. First classes, Jan. . . . — Map (db m119993) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2541 — Samuel Cox, 1756-1832
Samuel Cox is celebrated as the "Father of Williamsburg." The city's first resident & founder, Cox was instrumental in Williamsburg becoming the Whitley County seat of government. He donated land for a courthouse and offered lots for sale for the . . . — Map (db m119990) HM
Louisiana (Caldwell Parish), Columbia — Caldwell Parish Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m120210) WM
Louisiana (Caldwell Parish), Columbia — First United Methodist Church
Methodists have worshipped in a building on this site since before 1840. Circuit riders served congregation until 1847, when first pastor appointed. Present building completed in 1911 from plans brought from Europe by a church member. — Map (db m120260) HM
Louisiana (Catahoula Parish), Harrisonburg — Fort Beauregard Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives in World War I, World War II And The Korean Action — Map (db m120194) WM
Louisiana (Concordia Parish), Blackhawk — Richard K. Yancey(1925-2013)
The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission adopted a resolution on May 2, 2013, to rename the Red River-Three Rivers Wildlife Management Areas the Richard K. Yancey Wildlife Management Area in honor of distinguished conservationist Richard K. . . . — Map (db m120214) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Louisiana State University & Surrounding Area
About the Area With its Italian Renaissance-style buildings nestled amongst the stately oaks and broad magnolias made famous in its Alma Mater, LSU is truly a joy to behold. The 2000-acre campus, bordered on its western edge by the mighty . . . — Map (db m120266) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — University Lakes & Bird Sanctuary
About The Area

Stretching from Milford Wampold Memorial Park, affectionately known as "Baton Rouge Beach,” to the City-Brooks Community Park golf course, the LSU lakes-University Lake and City Park Lake-lie on LSU's eastern edge . . . — Map (db m120272) HM

Louisiana (Lasalle Parish), Jonesville — Crooks MoundAncient Mounds Trail
The mound here is a reconstruction of the larger of 2 burial mounds that archaeologists completely excavated in 1938. The large mound was 21 feet tall and dome shaped. A smaller mound was 100 feet south of the large one. It was 2 feet . . . — Map (db m120190) HM
Louisiana (Lasalle Parish), Jonesville — Dewey W. Wills Wildlife Management Area
Dewey W. "Jakie" Wills (May 15, 1930 - March 17, 1993) was born and raised in Pollock Louisiana. He graduated from Pollock High School, Southwestern Louisiana University and Louisiana State University. In June 1955 he began his career as a District . . . — Map (db m120213) HM
Louisiana (Tensas Parish), Mayflower — Wesley ChapelCa 1851
United Methodist Church Women gathered here to sew for Confederate Army soldiers during the Civil War.

Second Plaque Methodist Historic Site. — Map (db m120261) HM

Louisiana (Webster Parish), Minden — Minden Historic Residential District / Ms. Mona Miriam Robinson Monk
Minden Historic Residential District In 1836 Charles Veeder, a German-American born in New York State, built an inn on a hilltop a few miles from Bayou Dorcheat. Legend has it, the inn was constructed on a salt lick that was the best deer . . . — Map (db m120015) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-17 Samuel Hargrove House5907 K Street — Historic Resource, Built 1918
The Hargrove House was built In the North Fairmount Heights subdivision, platted in 1910. It was built by brick mason Samuel Hargrove. It is an unusual dwelling form, with molded brick detail and is probably unique in Prince George's County. It is . . . — Map (db m119876) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-29 Fairmount Heights Elementary School737 61st Avenue — Historic Site, Built 1912
The Fairmount Heights Elementary School is one of the largest buildings in the community. Before its construction, classes were held in nearby Charity Hall (715 61st Avenue). in early 1911, a group of residents approached the Prince George’s County . . . — Map (db m119825) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-33 Henry Pinckney House608 60th Place — Historic Resource, Built, c. 1905
The Pinkney House is representative of the American Foursquare, a popular dwelling type with a square floor plan. The Henry Pinckney House is a large two-story dwelling with a hip roof pierced by gable dormers on three-planes of the roof. The . . . — Map (db m120077) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-38 Charity Hall715 61st Avenue — Documented Property, Built c. 1908
Charity Hall, although drastically altered from its original form, is an important historic feature of the Fairmount Heights community. The main block of the building was constructed by the Fairmount Heights Mutual Improvement Company to serve as a . . . — Map (db m120037) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-39 Robert S. Nichols House802 58th Avenue — Historic Resource, Built c. 1908
The Robert S. Nichols House was one of the community's most beautiful and substantial houses. Built in 1908 by John F. Collins, who sold the house and two lots in 1909 to Robert S. Nichols. Nichols moved to Maryland from Texas, and worked in the U. . . . — Map (db m119907) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — First Baptist Church806 58th Avenue — Erected 1913
First Baptist Church is the oldest church in the Town of Fairmount Heights. It was the meeting place for all of the town’s first activities. It was organized by Reverend Strothers. The church was erected in 1913. Funded By the Maryland . . . — Map (db m120152) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — Trammell-Taylor House717 59th Avenue — Historic Resource, Built circa 1910
The Trammell-Taylor House was one of the most substantial houses in the early development of Fairmount Heights. The house is a two-and-one-half story, side gabled, wood frame dwelling with Classical Revival decorative details. Above the entry porch . . . — Map (db m119837) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — William Sidney Pittman and Portia Washington Pittman House Site505 Eastern Avenue — Historic Site 1907-2013
The Pittman House was designed and built as a family home by architect William Sidney Pittman in 1907, the year in which he married Portia, daughter of the his former mentor Booker T. Washington. Pittman (1875-1958) attended Tuskegee Institute in . . . — Map (db m119806) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Blue Earth - Nicollet Counties Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all who Served and Those who Died — Map (db m119980) WM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Korean War1950 - 1953
In Honor of Those Who Served in the Korean War 1950 - 1953 Died 54,246 Wounded 103,284 MIA 8,177 — Map (db m119984) WM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Ray Erlandson Park
This Park is named in honor of Ray Erlandson, and through him, all the men and women who have served the citizens of the City of Mankato as firefighters promoting and preserving the public's safety. Ray Erlandson served as a City of Mankato . . . — Map (db m120008) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Raymond — Raymond, Minnesota Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Men and Women Who Serve Their Country — Map (db m119966) WM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — District 6 School
This 1.1 acre site represents the history of public education in rural United States. It was one of 68 rural school districts organized in Nicollet County. The first school building on this site was built in the early 1860's. The present . . . — Map (db m120011) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Norseland Community
In 1854 the first settlers from Norway and Sweden arrived in the area. By 1858, the village of Norseland had formed, with the Norwegians gathering for church east of town and the Swedes to the west. That year, the Burke brothers opened a . . . — Map (db m120010) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Renville — Renville Legion Post 180
Dedicated to all Area Veterans who Served our Nation — Map (db m119985) WM
Minnesota (Sibley County), Winthrop — Sibley County, Minnesota Veterans Memorial
In Honor of the Men and Women of Sibley County who Served our Country During time of War Lest We Forget Forever in our Hearts — Map (db m119989) WM
Minnesota (Stevens County), Morris — The Dormitory at the Morris Industrial School for Indians
This building is all that remains of the former Morris Industrial School for Indians. Built in 1899, it along with a classroom building, a superintendent's residence, a laundry, a bath house, and a barn were added to the Indian mission school . . . — Map (db m119895) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — KingstonThe Jersey Settlement
E. 8 mi. Settled, 1773 by N. Jersey pioneers led by Richard and Samuel Swayze. Latter formed Congregational church, reputedly the first Protestant church in state. — Map (db m120192) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Kingston
8.8 Miles to KINGSTON First Protestant Settlement In Mississippi Territory 1773.

Dedicated 1955 by The National Society Of The Colonial Dames of America In The State Of Mississippi. — Map (db m120264) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — This Cannon
This Cannon Was Taken From The Defenses At SANTIAGO De CUBA 1898 — Map (db m120208) HM WM

342 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 142
Paid Advertisement