Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

680 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 480
 
The Austrian Branch of the Teutonic Order Marker - wide view image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, June 14, 2017
The Austrian Branch of the Teutonic Order Marker - wide view
Austria, Wien, Vienna — The Austrian Branch of the Teutonic Order1938-1988
In der Welt seid Ihr in Bedrängnis Aber habt Mut: Ich habe die Welt besiegt. (Jo 16,33)

Mit 1. September 1938 lösten die Nationalsozialisten die Ballei Österreich des Deutschen Ordens auf. Am 24. März 1947 erklärte die . . . — Map (db m121655) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Das Michaeler Bierhaus
. . . — Map (db m121723) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Die Aula der Wissenschaften / Hall of Sciences
Die Aula der Wissenschaften ist seit jeher ein Ort der Begegnung und des Wissenstransfers. Das im 17. Jahrhundert errichtete Gebäude diente ursprünglich mit seinen Hörsälen der Universität, später mit den Schulräumen dem . . . — Map (db m121618) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Dietrich von Hildebrand
In diesem Haus lebte von 1935 bis 1938 der Philosoph

Dietrich v. Hildebrand 1889 - 1977

Seine Liebe zur Wahrheit führte ihn in die katholischen Kirche und in einen kompromisslosen Kampf gegen den . . . — Map (db m121654) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Father Wilhelm Janauschek
Der Ehrwürdige Diener Gottes Pater Wilhelm Janauschek Redemptorist

wurde hier, Spiegelgasse 4 Am 19. Oktober 1859 geboren

Er starb in Wien, im Ruf der Heiligkeit am 30. Juni 1926.

Das St. Klemens . . . — Map (db m121717) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Johann Pollet
Vor dem Burgtor widersetzte sich am 13. März 1848 der Oberfeuerwerker Johann Pollet mit Gefahr seines eigenen Lebens dem Befehl die Kanonen gegen die Volksmenge abzufeuern

-

(English translation:)

In . . . — Map (db m121724) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Karl Freiherr von Vogelsang
In diesem Haus fanden ab 1888 unter Vorsitz des Initiators der österreichischen Sozialpolitik Karl Freiherr von Vogelsang 1818 - 1890 die berühmten 'Entenabende' statt Diese waren Keimzelle der Christlichen Sozialbewegung . . . — Map (db m121644) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Leopold Auenbrugger
STERBEHAUS des Medicinae Doctor Leopold Auenbrugger Edlen von Auenbrugg Erfinders der Perkussion des Brustkorbes geb. 19. Nov. 1722, gest. 18. Mai 1809 A.D. 1909

INVENTUM NOVUM

-

(English . . . — Map (db m121071) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ottoman Siege of 1529
Hier stand der Kärntnerturm. Donnerstag, den 14. Oktober 1529 wiesen an dieser Stelle Salm und Reischach auch den letzten und heftigsten Angriff Suleimanns zurück.

(English translation:)

Here . . . — Map (db m121069) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Professor Anton von Eiselsberg
In diesem Hause wohnte von 1903-1936 der O.Ö. Professor für Chirurgie der Universität Wien

D.Dr.h.c. Anton von Eiselsberg

Schüler Billroths und Lehrmeister einer grossen Chirurgenschule

-

(English . . . — Map (db m121386) HM

Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Johanniskirche / St. John's Church
Johanniskirche

Die spätromanische Pfeilerbasilika wurden im Zeitraum zwischen 1220 und 1250 über den Fundamenten einer früheren, aus dem 12. Jahrhundert stammenden Kirche erbaut und ist Johannes dem Täufer geweiht. Sie . . . — Map (db m121769) HM

Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Bújarðir í Reykjavík / Farmsteads in Reykjavík
(first panel, English:)

Háteigur

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries drainage of marshland began in Reykjavik territory. The drained land was allocated for farming under leases with inheritance rights. Grassfields were . . . — Map (db m121548) HM

Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Grjógata 4
Einar Pálsson snikkari byggði þetta hús árið 1896. Á árunum 1900 til 1920 var Stefán Eiríksson „hinn oddhagi" með teiknistofu og verkstæði í kjallara hússins. Margir smiðir og listamenn lærðu hjá honum og skipar húsið sér því sess í . . . — Map (db m121616) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Hljómskálagarðurinn / Pavilion Park
(English text:)

The Hljómskálagarður Park was Reykjavík's first formally-planned park.

The idea of making a park at the southern end of the Tjörnin Lake was first suggested in the early 19th century, but it was not until 1901 . . . — Map (db m121510) HM

Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Höfði House
(English side:)

Höfði House has a remarkable history connected to Icelandic relations with other nations. The house was built or the French consul, Jean Paul Brillouin. Designed in Eastern Norway, it was transported to Iceland in . . . — Map (db m121583) HM

Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — The Settlement of Reykjavík
(English side:)

Archaeological remains have been found in the city centre. They date back to the settle-ment period in the 9th century to modern times. This is the site of the first settlement of Reykjavík and it is believed that . . . — Map (db m121373) HM

Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Túngata 6
Lárus E. Sveinbjörnsson dómstórji reisti dom húsið árið 1875. Síðar bjó Magnús Einarsson dýralæknir, tengdasonur Lárusar, i húsinu. Húsið er með hefðbundnu dönsku sniði. Árið 1995 var húsið fært til eldra . . . — Map (db m121467) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Cecilio Chi
Cecilio Chi Texto no encontrado English translation: Cecilio Chi Text not foundMap (db m121074) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Clodomiro Cota Márquez
Clodomiro Cota Márquez Texto no encontrado English translation: Clodomiro Cota Márquez Text not foundMap (db m121067) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — General Bibiano Dávalos López
General Bibiano Dávalos López Texto no encontrado English translation: General Bibiano Dávalos López Text not foundMap (db m121049) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — General Eulogio Parra Espinosa
General Eulogio Parra Espinosa Texto no encontrado English translation: General Eulogio Parra Espinosa Text not foundMap (db m121068) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — General Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora
General Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora Texto no encontrado English translation: General Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora Text not foundMap (db m121082) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — General Manuel Márquez de León
General Manuel Márquez de León Texto no encontrado English translation: General Manuel Márquez de León Text not foundMap (db m121052) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Guillermo Prieto Pradilla
. . . — Map (db m121091) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Jacinto Pat
Jacinto Pat Texto no encontrado English translation: Jacinto Pat Text not foundMap (db m121046) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Joaquín Miguel Gutiérrez
Joaquin Miguel Gutierrez Capitan y político Nacio en Chiapas en el año de 1796; Defendio la autonomia de su estado y aplico reformas liberales mientras fue gobernador de la entidad. Murio en el año de 1838. English . . . — Map (db m121077) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — José María Lafragua
José María Lafragua Texto no encontrado English translation: José María Lafragua Text not foundMap (db m121076) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Manuel Doblado
Manuel Doblado Texto no encontrado English translation: Manuel Doblado Text not foundMap (db m121043) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Mariano Escobedo
Mariano Escobedo 1827-1902 Nacio en Galeana Nuevo Leon, Lucho contra la invasión Norteamericana y en la Guerra de Reforma combatio al Ejercito Frances Culminando su campaña en toma de Queretaro en 1867. Fue Gobernador de su estado y de . . . — Map (db m121084) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Temple of Corpus Christi
Templo de Corpus Christi, inmueble del siglo XVIII, fue incorporado en septiembre 2004 al Patrimonio de la Ciudad. Sede del Acervo Historico del Archivo General de Notarias. I.N.A.H. – G.D.F. English . . . — Map (db m121134) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Convent of San Diego and the Inquisition
Combento. de Sn. Diego. Frente a este lugar estuvo el quemadero de la Inquisicion. de 1596 a 1771. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República English translation: Convent of San Diego In . . . — Map (db m121057) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Juárez Hemicycle
Al Benemérito Benito Juárez La Patria English translation: To the most praise worthy Benito Juárez the Nation — Map (db m121114) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Temple of San Hipólito
Tal fue la mortandad que en este lugar hicieron los aztecas a los españoles la noche del día 1 de julio de 1520 llamado por esto noche triste que después de haber entrado triunfantes a esta ciudad los conquistadores al año siguiente . . . — Map (db m121096) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Comonfort), Comonfort — José María Luis Mora
1850 1950 El insigne pensador educador reformador Jose Maria Luis Mora nacio en esta casa el 9 de octubre de 1794 Homenaje en el primer centenario de su muerte ocurrida en Paris el 14 de julio de 1850 English . . . — Map (db m121566) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Comonfort), Comonfort — The Route of Hidalgo
Ruta de Hidalgo 1810 1811 Año de la Patria 1960 English translation: The Route of Hidalgo 1810 – 1811 Year of the Nation – 1960 — Map (db m121549) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The "El Capulín" Reservoir
Alberca “El Capulín” 1726-1738 En el año de 1726, el español Don Juan Antonio de Urrutia y Arana, Marqués de la Villa del Villar del Águila, inició los trabajos de construcción en esta alberca del pueblo de La Cañada, para . . . — Map (db m121466) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Escandón Bathing Pools
Balneario Escandón “El Piojito” – 1736 En este año Don José Escandón y de la Helguera, Conde de la Sierra Gorda, adquirió éste terreno y los manantiales para la construcción de unos baños en el pueblo de La Cañada, . . . — Map (db m121413) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Former hospital of San José de Gracia
Antiguo hospital de San José de Gracia Fue fundado en 1586 con el apoyo de Diego de Tapia y otros caciques de la región. Se trata de un edificio sobrio en su construcción, como todos los conjuntos religiosos que funcionaron como . . . — Map (db m121345) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Fountain of Cantoya
Fuente de Cantoya Fue construida en el siglo XVIII por Felipe de Cantoya para beneficio de la ciudad. Su diseño destaca por el arco mixtilíneo, elemento distintivo de la arquitectura virreinal en Querétaro. Este tipo de arcos, . . . — Map (db m121363) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Fountain of Neptune
Fuente de Neptuno Construida en 1797 por el arquitecto Francisco Eduardo Tresguerras, esta fuente fue inicialmente montada en el terreno de la huerta del convento de San Antonio, en lo que hoy son las calles de Corregidora y 16 de . . . — Map (db m121306) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Jardín Guerrero / Municipal Palace
Jardín Guerrero En la época virreinal, este jardín fue parte del convento de Santa Clara. Aquí se encontraban las celdas de las monjas, que asemejaban ser pequeñas casas con estancia, huerta, gallinero y servicio de criadas. En este . . . — Map (db m121305) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Old Railway Station
Antigua Estación del Ferrocarril Inaugurada en 1904, conectó a Querétaro con el Ferrocarril Central Mexicano, construido a finales del siglo XIX, y con el Ferrocarril Nacional establecido a principios del XX. El Gobierno Federal . . . — Map (db m121446) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Querétaro, Cultural Heritage of Humanity
Querétaro, Patrimonio Cultural de la Humanidad Querétaro se fundó en 1531 en medio del valle de La Cañada, habitado por algunos gurpos chichimecas. Décadas después, Querétaro se convirtió en una de las ciudades más importantes para la . . . — Map (db m121764) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Temple and fountain of Santa Ana
Templo y fuente de Santa Ana Erigido a partir de una capilla sencilla en 1700, este templo fue elevado a parroquia en 1805 gracias a la iniciativa promovida por su primer párroco, el teólogo presbítero don Félix Osores Sotomayor. El . . . — Map (db m121226) HM
Panama, Panamá (District of Panamá) — Captain Raul Chevalier
Desde este sitio el 3 de noviembre de 1903 el Capitan Raul Chevalier efectuo los disparos de cañon que obligaron al cañonero Bogota a abandonar nuestras aguas consolidando asi nuestra independencia. English . . . — Map (db m121178) HM WM
Panama, Panamá (District of Panamá) — Simón Bolívar
Las naciones de America al Libertador Simon Bolivar 1826 junio 22 1926 El Acta de Independencia de Panama es el monumento mas glorioso que puede ofrecer a la historia ninguna provincia Americana Bolivar English . . . — Map (db m121165) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Strömparterren
(Swedish text:)

PARKEN LIGGER som en öppen scen mitt i hjärtat av Stockholm. Så har Strömparterren också använts under senare år i samband med festligheter och jubileer. Ordet »parterre« anvisar att platsen ligger lägre än omgivningen . . . — Map (db m121304) HM

United Kingdom, England, City of London — East India Arms
East India Arms The East India Company was incorporated on 31st December 1600. Queen Elizabeth I signed the Charter creating ‘The Company of Merchants of London Trading to the East Indies’. Over 200 subscribers raised almost £70,000 — a . . . — Map (db m121553) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Gregory de Rokesley
In a house on this site lived Gregory de Rokesley eight times Mayor of London 1274 — 1281 and 1285 — Map (db m121569) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — London Troops War Memorial
To the Immortal Honour of the Officers Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of London Who Served Their King and Empire In The Great War 1914   1919 This Memorial is Dedicated In Proud & Grateful Recognition By the City and . . . — Map (db m121571) WM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Ludgate
Site of Ludgate Demolished 1760 — Map (db m121271) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Royal Exchange Forecourt
( plaque on the left ) Royal Exchange Forecourt This landscaped forecourt to the Royal Exchange was opened by the Rt. Hon. The Lord Mayor Sir Alan Traill G.B.E., M.A., D.Mus. on the 10th April 1985 Leonard W.E. Groome C. . . . — Map (db m121619) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St Gabriel Fenchurch
In the Roadway opposite stood St Gabriel Fenchurch Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 — Map (db m121554) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St. Bartholomew World War I MemorialThat They Might Have Life
Hallowed In Christ be the memory of all the gallant men and women who fell in the Great War for the freedom of the world they shall yet stand before the throne an exceeding great army and in that last muster shall be found these our own . . . — Map (db m121045) WM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St. Leonard Eastcheap
Site of St. Leonard Eastcheap Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 — Map (db m121552) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St. Margaret Fish Street Hill
Opposite this site stood St. Margaret Fish Street Hill Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 — Map (db m121551) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — St. Thomas the Apostle Church
Site of St Thomas the Apostle Church Destroyed in the Great Fire 1666 — Map (db m121663) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Stocks Market
Adjoining this spot stood the Stocks Market 1282 — 1737 — Map (db m121620) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Tallow Chandlers Hall
Tallow Chandlers Hall The Company Has Occupied This Site Since 1476 — Map (db m121622) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The King’s Baker’s Shop
Near this site stood the shop belonging to Thomas Faryner, the king’s baker, in which the Great Fire of September 1666 began. Presented by The Worshipful Company of Bakers to mark the 500th anniversary of their charter granted by . . . — Map (db m121550) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Samaritans
In St. Stephen Walbrook on 2 November 1953 The Samaritans were founded by Dr. Chad Varah Rector 1953 - 2003 — Map (db m121621) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Sugarloaf
The Sugarloaf The Sugarloaf is situated on Cannon Street which starts at St Paul's Cathedral and runs parallel with the River Thames for half a mile. Cannon Street was first known as ‘Candlewrich Street' named after the candle makers who used to . . . — Map (db m121664) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Wellington
Wellington Erected June 18 1844 ( plaque behind the statue ) On 19th July 1838. the Court of Common Council of the City of London agreed to a contribution of £500 toward the cost of the above statue of the Duke of Wellington in . . . — Map (db m121574) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Whittington Garden
Welcome to Whittington Garden This garden was named in honour of one of the City's best known Lord Mayors who was buried in 1423 in the nearby church of St Michael Paternoster Royal which he had rebuilt in 1409 at his own expense. The site, which . . . — Map (db m121624) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — William Nicholson
William Nicholson ( 1824 – 1909 ) Distiller, Politician, Cricket Player, Benefactor This alehouse is part of the Nicholson's heritage collection. They're all different, yet they all owe something to the man who founded them. William . . . — Map (db m121666) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Worshipful Company of Innholders
29 & 30 College Street Presented to the Worshipful Company of Innholders by Walter Daniel Cronin Master 1920 – 21 & John Wylde Renter Warden 1920 – 21 This Building Was Erected by the Company in 1958 Bryan N. Gibbs . . . — Map (db m121623) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — A History of Mount Street GardensFormer burial ground of the parish of St. George's, Hanover Square
Mount Street Gardens was first laid out as a public garden in 1889-90 on the site of a former burial ground belonging to the parish of St. George Hanover Square. Mount Street takes its name from Mount Field, which included Oliver's Mount, the . . . — Map (db m121347) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Animals In War
This monument is dedicated to all the animals that served and died alongside British and Allied Forces in wars and campaigns throughout time They had no choice Many and various animals were employed to support British and Allied Forces in . . . — Map (db m121337) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Apollo TheatreTheatreland - Heart of the Perforning Arts in London
Originally intended for musicals, the Apollo Theatre opened in 1901 with a farce called the 'Belle of Bohemia'. A popular policy of musicals, drama and comedy has continued to the present day. Notable long-runs in recent years include . . . — Map (db m121302) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Benjamin Disraeli
Here lived Benjamin Disraeli Earl of Beaconsfield From 1839 To 1873 — Map (db m121338) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Dame Katharine Furse G.B.E.
On this site in January 1918 Dame Katharine Furse G.B.E. Established the first headquarters of the W.R.N.S. Womens Royal Naval Service — Map (db m121376) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Jack Buchanan
Jack Buchanan Actor – Manager 1890 – 1957 lived here — Map (db m121375) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Gilbert Winant
Greater London Council John Gilbert Winant 1889 – 1947 United States Ambassador 1941 – 1946 lived here — Map (db m121339) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Lyric TheatreTheatreland - Heart of the Performing Arts in London
Built by C.J. Phipps The Lyric Theatre opened in 1888 with the comic opera Dorothy and has since developed a tradition of drama, light comedy and popular musicals The great Italian actress Eleonora Duse made her debut here in . . . — Map (db m121274) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Marble Arch
A History of Marble Arch Marble Arch was designed by John Nash in 1828 to be the main entrance to Buckingham Palace. It was moved to its present site in 1851 when an extension was built to Buckingham Palace, leaving insufficient space for the Arch. . . . — Map (db m121374) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Queen Mary's Steps, Whitehall Palace
In 1691, Sir Christopher Wren designed for Queen Mary II a terrace overlooking the Thames in front of the old river wall of Whitehall Palace built by Henry VIII. This terrace projecting about 70 feet into the bed of the river, was about 280 feet . . . — Map (db m121465) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Richard Savage
Richard Savage Fourth Earl Rivers

Governor of The Tower of London

1660-1712

lived here — Map (db m121078) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Royal Aeronautical Society
Royal Aeronautical Society Aeronautical Heritage Plaque The Royal Aeronautical Society was created in 1866 to further the art, science and engineering of aeronautics. Unveiled in 2016, this plaque marks the 150th anniversary of the Society’s . . . — Map (db m121378) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Beaverbrook Foundation
A building of historic significance William & Mary Period c1690 -1700 Grade II listed former home of the Beaverbrook Foundation established by Lord Beaverbrook 1879 -1964 — Map (db m121081) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Crown
The Crown sits on the site of one of the most well known and popular concert halls, The Hickford Rooms. During the first half of the 18th Century it was the most prestigious music hall in London. One notable concert of its later days was . . . — Map (db m121355) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Virginia Woolf
Virginia Woolf lived in a house formerly on the south side of Tavistock Square from 1924 to 1939 where most of her greatest novels were written and published

Then one day walking round Tavistock Square I made up, as I sometimes . . . — Map (db m121053) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Welcome to the Marchmont Community Garden
History of the Marchmont Community Garden site:

The site was at the heart of Lamb's Conduit Fields until the cash-strapped Governors of the Foundling Hospital allowed James Burton to build hundreds of houses on their Estate, including . . . — Map (db m121015) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bethnal Green Fire Memorial
Borough of Bethnal Green Memorial Alice Maud Denman and Peter Regelous Who lost their lives in attempting to save others at a fire at 423 Hackney Road on the 20th April 1902 Erected by public subscription C.E. Fox   Mayor R. . . . — Map (db m121667) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Bethnal Green Tube Shelter Disaster
Site of the Worst Civilian Disaster of the Second World War in Memory of 173 Men, Women and Children Who Lost Their Lives on the Evening of Wednesday 3rd March 1943 Descending These Steps to Bethnal Green Underground Air Raid Shelter . . . — Map (db m121670) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Daniel Mendoza
Daniel Mendoza Pugilist 1764 – 1836 English Champion who proudly billed himself as ‘Mendoza the Jew’, lived here when writing ‘The Art of Boxing’. — Map (db m121671) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Greenwich Foot Tunnel — North Side
This tunnel constructed by the London County Council was opened in August 1902. Sir John MacDougall chairman of the Council; Lord Monkswell vice chairman; Henry Clarke deputy chairman; Col F. Sheffield chairman bridges comm; J. E. Sears vice . . . — Map (db m121706) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Robt Milligan
To Perpetuate on this Spot The Memory of Robert Milligan A Merchant of London To Whose Genius, Perseverance and Guardian Care The Surrounding Great Work Principally Owes It’s Design, Accomplishment and Regulation. The Directors and . . . — Map (db m121703) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Stairway to HeavenBethnal Green Memorial
Bethnal Green Tube Shelter Disaster On 3 March the air raid warning sounded at 8.17pm. People made their way in the pitch dark of the blackout to file in an orderly manner down the steps of the single entrance to the unfinished Bethnal Green . . . — Map (db m121668) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Colour Makers
Dockland Heritage The Colour Makers You are standing on the Wharf of what was once a colour factory, where the raw materials of chemical colours were manufactured for use in the making of paints, printing inks, plastics, rubber and paper. . . . — Map (db m121716) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Ferry House
The Ferry House Circa — 1722 Welcome to the oldest pub on the island plying its trade since 1722. The location is near the old ferry point across to Greenwich. The ferry point had been around since at least 1330 known afterwards as . . . — Map (db m121707) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — West India Dock North Quay
West India Docks — a first for London Opened on 27th August 1802, West India Docks were London’s first purpose-built cargo handling docks. They were the largest structure of their kind in the world at that time, placing London at the . . . — Map (db m121701) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Wandsworth — London Peace Pagoda
The London Peace Pagoda Na Mu Myo Ho Ren Ge Kyo The London Peace Pagoda was built by monks, nuns and followers of Nipponzan Myohoji at the behest of our founder and preceptor, the Most Venerable Nichidatsu Fuji (known as ‘Fujii Guruji’ by . . . — Map (db m121424) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Wandsworth — London Peace Pagoda
London Peace Pagoda Prince Siddhartha, whose name means ‘every wish fulfilled’ and who was the son of King Suddhodana and Queen Maya, was born in Lumbini Park at the foot of the Himalayas more than 2,500 years ago. Immediately he took seven steps . . . — Map (db m121425) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Wandsworth — Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile
The Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile The Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile was inaugurated to celebrate the International Year of Peace 1986 The Sri Chinmoy Athletics Club organises races for the public in the Park. Sri Chinmoy is the Director of Meditations at . . . — Map (db m121426) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Britain's Oldest Brewer
A Brief History of Britain's Oldest Brewer Records show that Faversham was first associated with brewing as early as 1147, when King Stephen founded the town's abbey which contained a brewhouse that produced ale for the monks. Shepherd . . . — Map (db m121704) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Greenwich — Greenwich Foot Tunnel
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel is situated beneath the River Thames and connects Cutty Sark Gardens in the Royal Borough of Greenwich to the south, with Island Gardens in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in the north. It is a listed building. . . . — Map (db m121705) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Chelsea Embankment
Chelsea Embankment Opened May 1874 Lieut. Col. Sir James MacNaghten Hoog K.C.B. M.P. Chairman of the Metropolitan Board of Works Sir Joseph William Bazalgette C.B. Engineer — Map (db m121421) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Chelsea World War I Memorial
. . . — Map (db m121384) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — George Sparkes
In Affectionate Remembrance of the Late George Sparkes Of Bromley in Kent Formerly Judge at Madras In the East India Company’s Civil Service A great and Good Man Gifted with Every Refined Feeling And Much Esteemed by All Who Knew Him . . . — Map (db m121419) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Ralph Vaughn Williams O.M.
. . . — Map (db m121393) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Ropers Garden
Metropolitan Borough of Chelsea The Worshipful the Mayor Councillor Lady Heath laid this stone on 11th March, 1964 to commemorate the constructon of Ropers Garden on the site of buildings destroyed by parachute mine on 17th april 1941. . . . — Map (db m121422) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Sir Hans Sloane B.A.P.
To the memory of Sir Hans Sloane B.A.P. President of the Royal Society and of the College of Physicians who in the year of our Lord 1753, the 92d of his age, without the least pain of body and with a conscious serenity of mind ended . . . — Map (db m121396) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Sir Jacob Epstein Sculpture
Unveiled by Admiral Sir Caspar John, G.C.B. 3rd June 1972 This carving by Jacob Epstein Commemorates the Years 1901 – 1914 when He lived and worked In a studio on this site Which was originally Sit Thomas More’s Orchard . . . — Map (db m121423) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Sir Thomas More
Sir Thomas More 1478 + 1535 ( inscribed on the sides of the base ) Scholar · Saint · Statesman — Map (db m121420) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — The Boy David
The Boy David by Bainbridge Copnall MBE PPRBS. A memorial to the members of the Machine Gun Corps who served in World War One This bronze fibreglass statue was sculptured by E. Bainbridge Copnall 1903 – 1973 and set on the . . . — Map (db m121394) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — The Chelsea Physic Garden
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea The Chelsea Physic Garden Was established by the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries of London in 1673 and is the oldest botanic garden, after Oxford, in England. A statue of Sir Hans Sloane, an early . . . — Map (db m121388) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Thomas Carlyle
Thomas Carlyle B. Dec 4. 1795 at Ecclefechan Dumfriesshire D. Feb 5. 1881 at Great Cheyne Row Chelsea — Map (db m121395) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lower Dexter Park
History Happened Here The City of Montgomery built this public park on one of the lots occupied by the Montgomery Fair Department Store. Rosa Parks was an assistant to the tailor for Montgomery Fair. On December 1, 1955, Mrs. Parks . . . — Map (db m121435) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Flagstaff — Arizonal Trail - A Tribute to Dale Shewalter
The idea of a non-motorized trail traversing Arizona from Mexico to Utah was conceived by Dale Shewalter, a Flagstaff public school teacher, after numerous long-distance hikes throughout the state. In 1985 Dale walked from Nogales to . . . — Map (db m121444) HM
Arkansas (Bradley County), Warren — F-17 — Bradley County Court House
The first temporary court house in Bradley County was erected on this site in 1842, two years after the creation of the county, and continued in use until 1858, when a court house built of brick was erected. — Map (db m121054) HM
Arkansas (Clark County), Arkadelphia — Clark County
Clark County was created by the legislature of Missouri Territory on Dec. 15, 1818 and named for the territorial governor, William Clark. It comprised, roughly, all of the present Clark, Hot Spring, Garland, Pike and Dallas counties. Early county . . . — Map (db m121379) HM
Arkansas (Clark County), Arkadelphia — Skirmish at Bozeman's House
Near this site on April 1, 1864 Confederate General Joseph O. Shelby caught up with and attacked the rear guard of Union General Frederick Steeles army. Union General Samuel A. Rice, in charge of the supply, pontoon and brigade trains, rushed to . . . — Map (db m121180) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — 76 — Battle of Marks' Mills / Marks Family Experience
Battle of Marks' Mills On April 23, 1864, a Union force with 240 wagons left Camden to get supplies from Pine Bluff for Gen. Frederick Steele's army. Gen. James Fagan's Confederate cavalrymen ambushed them at Marks' Mills on April 25. . . . — Map (db m121150) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — E-27 — Cleveland County Battle of Mark's Mill
The Battle of Mark's Mill, fought here on April 25, 1864, was a complete Confederate victory. General James F. Fagan's Confederate cavalry having surprised and captured a Union army of 2,000 men and 240 wagon loads of supplies. General Powell . . . — Map (db m121283) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — Shelby's Approach
Approaching Marks Mills from the south General Joe Shelby's Missouri Division was ordered to move to the right in order to block the Marks Mills to Mt Elba Road preventing The Union forces from escaping across the Saline River. Guided by . . . — Map (db m121660) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Battle at Marks' Mill
Early on the morning of April 25, the Confederates blocked the Pine Bluff Road near the Marks family home and mills. The first Union wagons arrived around 9:30 a.m. The Confederates shot the horses and driver of the lead Union wagon and launched the . . . — Map (db m121327) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Battle Had Begun!
Facts After getting in the neighborhood of the supply train Gen. Shelby was ordered on the road leading to Mount Elba to intercept the train and attack the front. Cabell's Brigade moved up to the road leading direct to Marks' Mills. As they . . . — Map (db m121658) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Battle of Marks' Mill
Front Fought here on April 25, 1864 was a complete Confederate victory General James F. Fagan's Division of Confederate cavalry surprised and captured a Union supply train of 2000 men and 240 wagonloads of supplies. General . . . — Map (db m121310) HM WM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — The Union Wagon Train Leaves Camden
In March of 1864, the Union Army began the Red River Campaign, a plan to subdue Arkansas and Louisiana and capture Texas cotton for northern mills. By mid-April, the Arkansas arm of the campaign was stalled in Camden. A Union foraging party and . . . — Map (db m121311) HM
Arkansas (Cleveland County), New Edinburg — Witnesses to War
So many horses and soldiers were killed that Salty Branch ran red with blood. In 1864, Camden was a large town on the Ouachita River, as was Pine Bluff on the Arkansas River. Moro Bay, to the south, was the largest cotton shipping point . . . — Map (db m121330) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Calhoun — C-38 — Columbia County Calhoun Pioneer Settlement
One of the very oldest settlements of this county. Here in 1840–1850 settled the Bakers, Barnetts, Booths, Couches, Deeses, Dixons, Garretts, McDonalds, McWilliams, and other pioneer families Near this point Harvey Crowley Couch, Arkansas . . . — Map (db m121240) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Lamartine — C-27 — Columbia County Lamartine Pioneer Settlement
One of the oldest settlements in Columbia County. Here Colonel John Dockery had his plantation and home. Here T.P. Dockery, who became a general in the War Between the States, was born and reared. The Caddo Indian Trail from Camden on the Ouachita . . . — Map (db m121136) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — Columbia County Courthouse
Third courthouse on this site. Bid for construction of a new courthouse was let in 1905 for $58,631. Designed by W.S. Hull and built of blond brick with stone detailing, it is considered an example of second renaissance revival architecture. . . . — Map (db m121341) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — Columbia County Courthouse
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places
by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m121408) HM
Arkansas (Columbia County), Magnolia — 24 — Gen. John Porter McCown
John P. McCown was born Aug. 19, 1815, in Sevierville, Tenn. An 1840 graduate of West Point, he served in the Mexican and Seminole wars before resigning from the U.S. Army on May 17, 1861. McCown joined the Confederate army, rising to the rank of . . . — Map (db m121139) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Fordyce — 106 — Road to Marks' Mills / Battle of Marks' Mills
Road to Marks' Mills Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army set out from Little Rock on March 23, 1864, to join a second army in Louisiana and invade Texas. He made it as far as modern-day Prescott before turning toward Camden in hopes of . . . — Map (db m121222) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Leola — 117 — Skirmish at Guesses Creek
Front Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army left Camden on April 26, 1864, starting a retreat to Little Rock. Confederate pursuers caught up with them on April 29 on the Jenkins’ Ferry Road and began skirmishing. Union gunners of the 2nd . . . — Map (db m121168) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — 48 — Arkansas Military Institute / Tulip in the Civil War
Arkansas Military Institute The state legislature chartered the Arkansas Military Institute in 1850, and the school was built on Chapel Ridge in Tulip. Cadets had to be over 14 and at least 4 feet 9 inches tall. Classes included Latin, . . . — Map (db m121218) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — Old Tulip School House1902 - 1944
Has been placed on the Arkansas Register of Historic Places by Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. — Map (db m121334) HM
Arkansas (Dallas County), Tulip — Tulip
Tulip was settled in 1838 by Moses Overton. Making it the oldest community in Dallas County. Prominent settlers were Tyre H. Brown, Gen. Nathaniel G. Smith, Col. Maurice Smith and Judge Willis L. Somervell. Tulip missed being the capitol of Arkansas . . . — Map (db m121307) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 112 — Confederate Headquarters / Confederate Flank Attack
Confederate Headquarters Confederate Gen. Edmund Kirby Smith led troops from Louisiana on a forced march to attack Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army as it crossed the Saline River to retreat to Little Rock. He arrived here on April 29, . . . — Map (db m121215) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 110 — General Samuel Rice / Confederate Cannons Captured
General Samuel Rice Samuel A. Rice, then Iowa’s attorney general, organized the 33rd Iowa Infantry Regiment in the summer of 1862 and was named its colonel. Stationed in Helena, Rice played a prominent role in the July 4, 1863 battle there . . . — Map (db m121203) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 113 — Jenkins Ferry / Pontoon Bridge
Jenkins Ferry In 1846, Thomas Jenkins paid the Saline County clerk $1 to register to “keep a ferry” and charge travelers to cross the Saline near the mouth of Cox’s Creek when the river was at flood stage. Gen. Frederick . . . — Map (db m121204) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Leola — 115 — Officers Killed / Union Wounded
Officers Killed Gen. J.G. Walker’s Texas Division made the final Confederate attack in the April 30, 1864, battle of Jenkins’ Ferry. Its three brigades, led by Gen. William Read Scurry, Gen. Thomas N. Waul and Col. Horace Randal, charged . . . — Map (db m121207) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Prattsville — 116 — Clash at Whitten's Mill
Front Both Union and Confederate cavalry moved north of Jenkins’ Ferry on April 29, 1864. Lt. Col. Benjamin Elliott’s 1st Missouri Cavalry Battalion had been sent to Princeton on the 28th to seek Gen. Frederick Steele’s army as it . . . — Map (db m121182) HM
Arkansas (Grant County), Sheridan — 114 — Refugee Children / Supplies Destroyed
Refugee Children Many African Americans fleeing slavery were with Gen. Frederick Steele’s Union army as it retreated to Little Rock. As army wagons became stuck in the thick mud, so too did wagons with refugee children. Some were . . . — Map (db m121183) HM
Arkansas (Hot Spring County), Malvern — 122 — Bridging the Ouachita River
Gen. Frederick Steele led a Union army from Little Rock on March 23, 1864, to join an invasion of Texas. Confederate skirmishers harassed the army as it reached Rockport March 27. An inflatable pontoon bridge, in 34 wagons and served by men of the . . . — Map (db m121148) HM
Arkansas (Howard County), Center Point — Center Point
Near this spot in 1837 Robert Messer built the first house in Center Point. A few years later John Russey opened the first store. Center Point acquired its name and post office in 1848, and became an incorporated town in 1859. Held by the . . . — Map (db m121163) HM
Arkansas (Howard County), Center Point — 126 — Howard County in the Civil War
At least four Confederate companies were recruited in what is now Howard County, including three serving in the 19th Arkansas Infantry, which trained near Center Point. The 19th Arkansas was part of the garrison at Arkansas Post when it was . . . — Map (db m121146) HM
Arkansas (Lafayette County), Stamps — 139 — Pioneering Legislators
Three African American men represented Lafayette County in the state legislature after the Civil War. Monroe Hawkins, born a slave in North Carolina around 1832, was a minister and laborer. He was a delegate in the 1868 Constitutional Convention and . . . — Map (db m121211) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Alleene — Anderson Ferry
Anderson Ferry, on Little River 2 miles north of this point, was in operation during the early 1800's. It served the pioneers traveling to southwest Arkansas and Texas on the Old Southwest Trail. Anderson Ferry provided a passage from Old Paraclifta . . . — Map (db m121276) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Alleene — Original Site of Little River County Seat
Little River County was formed 1867 out of lands taken from Hempstead and Sevier Counties by Act 104 of the Arkansas Legislature approved March 7, 1867. The Act fixed the temporary county seat at the home of William M. Freeman, which was ½ mile . . . — Map (db m121273) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Ashdown — B-7 — Little River CountyCounty Seat
Rocky Comfort, made the County Seat of Little River County in 1868, continued as such until 1880, when it was moved to Richmond and from there the Seat of Justice was moved to Ashdown. — Map (db m121243) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Ashdown — B-27 — Little River CountyHome of Governor Jeff Davis
Birthplace of the twentieth Governor of Arkansas, one of the state's most colorful personalities. — Map (db m121244) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Foreman — First Permanent Site of Little River County Seat
The Arkansas Constitutional Convention of 1868 located the permanent county seat at Rocky Comfort, where it remained until 1880. The first term of court was held there August 4, 1868. A frame court house was erected with offices on the first floor . . . — Map (db m121277) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Richmond — 42 — Confederate Camp at Richmond / Richmond Church and Cemetery
Confederate Camp at Richmond On Aug. 28, 1864, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price led an army from Camden on a raid that took them through Missouri, Kansas and the Indian Territory before they returned to Arkansas at Laynesport in Little . . . — Map (db m121143) HM
Arkansas (Little River County), Wilton — Mills Family Story
In the fall of 1851, three Mills brothers headed west, one by water, one by land and one to Texas. This brought Joel Mills wife, Kitura Burke Bird and family from Henderson Co., Tennessee to Sevier County, now known as Little River County. . . . — Map (db m121361) HM
Arkansas (Pike County), Murfreesboro — 55 — Henry Merrell / Royston Factory Mill
Henry Merrell Henry Merrell, known as the "Industrial Missionary to the South," was born in Utica, N.Y., in 1816. He moved to Arkansas in 1856 and built an industrial complex in Pike Co. He helped draft an anti-secession resolution in . . . — Map (db m121147) HM
Arkansas (Pike County), Murfreesboro — B-16 — Pike County Court House
The first court house in Pike County, built of logs, was erected on the site of the town of Murfreesboro, which was laid out as a site for the county seat in 1833. — Map (db m121284) HM
Arkansas (Pike County), Murfreesboro — B-26 — Pike County Diamond Mines
Two and a half miles southeast of this point is the only locality in North America where diamonds have been found in the rock in which they were formed. They have been found principally in one igneous pipe which, with three small pipes, aggregates . . . — Map (db m121290) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Alexander George House
Near this spot stood the substantial brick home of Alexander George (1812-1877), a wealthy German immigrant active in Little Rock's business, civic, social and political circles. Built during the 1858 to 1859 period, the George House with its . . . — Map (db m121455) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Choctaw Route Station(1899)
Constructed in 1899, the Choctaw Route Station served as a passenger depot for the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad Company, before becoming the property of the Rock Island Railroad in 1902. The station served as a major passenger terminal on . . . — Map (db m121451) HM
Arkansas (Sevier County), Belleville — 136 — Sevier County in the Civil War
While no fighting took place in Sevier Co. during the Civil War, local men served in Confederate units. Men gathered at Belleville Church as part of Pettus’ Battalion of State Troops, marching to Arkadelphia under Gov. Harris Flanagin’s General . . . — Map (db m121145) HM
Arkansas (Sevier County), De Queen — In Appreciation of J. DeGoeijenBorn Zwolle Netherlands, 1861
Belonged to a family of wealthy coffee merchants. He became interested in financing the completion of the Kansas City Southern Railway. A town on this railway was named for him and he personally selected De Queen. 1897 — Map (db m121278) HM
Arkansas (Sevier County), De Queen — A-6 — Sevier County Seat of Justice
In 1829 the year after the creation of the County of Sevier, the permanent seat of justice for the county was located at Paraclifta on Cossatot River about five miles from the southern boundary of the county where it remained until 1871, when it was . . . — Map (db m121280) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — El Dorado Female Institute
Bennett. G. Clark and Sarah W. Clark deeded this land to William Rust, John H. Cornish, John R. Hampton, and William H. Hines, trustees of El Dorado Female Institute, in 1847. May 7, 1858 Albert Rust deeded additional land to Robert Goodwin. . . . — Map (db m121358) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — For Service in Iraq and Afghanistan
In honor of the brave Americans who served and those that gave their lives on behalf of a grateful nation Reverse Gulf War August 2, 1990 — February 28, 1991 Iraq War March 20, 2003 — December . . . — Map (db m121766) WM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — Oil in Arkansas — Chaos
Within a few short months El Dorado's population doubled, and, before the year was out, it doubled again before peaking two years later at over 40,000. With the population explosion came oilmen from Louisiana and Texas, but along with them on . . . — Map (db m121352) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — Oil in Arkansas — The Discovery
On January 10th, 1921, shortly after 4:00 P.M., on a cold January day, a deafening roar from a drilling rig one mile west of El Dorado announced the discovery of oil in Arkansas. Dr. Samuel Busey brought in the Armstrong #1 as an earthshaking, . . . — Map (db m121350) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — Oil in Arkansas — The Smackover Field
A little over a year after the initial oil discovery by Dr. Busey, the Oil Operators Trust--Murphy #1, a wildcat well staked on a geologic feature called the Norphlet dome, drilled into the gas-cap of what would become the huge Smackover Oil . . . — Map (db m121356) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — Oil in Arkansas — The Wildcatters
During the oil boom numerous individuals, or wildcatters, made their mark on the South Arkansas scene. H. L. Hunt, at one time the richest man in the world, opened a barrelhouse on Hamburger Row, made his financial stake there, and then . . . — Map (db m121357) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — The Gunfight on El Dorado's Courthouse Square, Oct. 9, 1902
• Marshal Guy Tucker (1) argues with Walter (2) and Tom (3) Parnell at east gate of courthouse fence. Tucker draws pistol and covers them. • Jim Parnell (4) approaches fence and Tucker warns him not to get behind him. • Harrison Dearing (5) . . . — Map (db m121343) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — The Gunfight on the SquareHistoric Union Square — October 9, 1902 4:30 p.m.
Marshal Guy B. Tucker, Constable Harrison Dearing, and other supporters, faced the four Parnell Brothers, Jim, Mat, Tom, and Walter. Killed Constable Harrison Dearing. Killed Walter Parnell. Killed Tom Parnell. Wounded Dr. Robert . . . — Map (db m121342) HM
Arkansas (Union County), El Dorado — D-38 — Union County Second Courthouse
This marks the site of the second court house built in Union County. Completed May 1st, 1848. The spot was originally a pond where ducks gathered in season. Emigrants in search of home sites frequently camped alongs its banks. It was filled in under . . . — Map (db m121292) HM
Arkansas (Union County), Mount Holly — 23 — Mount Holly Cemetery
Mount Holly Cemetery is the final resting place of 15 Confederate soldiers, including Asa S. Morgan, who in 1861 recruited the El Dorado Sentinels, which became Co. A, 1st Arkansas Infantry. Morgan later served as colonel of the 26th Arkansas . . . — Map (db m121172) HM
Arkansas (Union County), Mount Holly — Mount Holly, Birthplace of Arkansas Governor Thomas C. McRae, 1921-1925
Founded in 1843 by Scotch Presbyterians, it became an educational center with two academies ~ The Academy or Old Field School established in 1845, and Mount Holly Academy in 1848 under J.M. Hogg. More than 200 students attended these schools . . . — Map (db m121268) HM
Arkansas (Union County), Smackover — Clyde L. "Smackover" Scott"The Smackover Kid"
Dedicated to an outstanding athlete who attained national recognition for his home town throughout a brilliant athletic career. Football All-American University of Arkansas -1948 United States Naval Academy 1945 United States . . . — Map (db m121409) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — 391 — First Presbyterian Church Memorial ChapelBuilt 1874 — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
The First Presbyterian Church was the City's first Protestant church and an early significant religious institution of the City. Commemorated by City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission May 2007 — Map (db m121756) HM
California (Humboldt County), Weott — Swept AwayA Story of Stormy Waters
Better Beginnings

You are standing on the site of the historic town of Dyerville. In the late 19th century, timber gave rise to a booming community that served outposts and lumber camps up and down the Eel River. Dyerville boasted . . . — Map (db m121336) HM

California (Kern County), Edwards — F-8 DFBW
For the Digital Fly-By-Wire project, NASA technicians replaced cables and push rods in this F-8 Crusader with an electronic flight-control system coupled to a digital computer. The computer interpreted the pilot's control inputs and transmitted them . . . — Map (db m121540) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards — F-8 Digital Fly-By-Wire Aircraft
This research aircraft was the first airplane to fly using a digital fly-by-wire electronics flight-control system with no mechanical backup system. The initial system utilized components from the Apollo spacecraft guidance and control system. . . . — Map (db m121483) HM
California (Kern County), Havilah — Havilah
County Seat Kern County 1866 - 1873 — Map (db m121025) HM
California (Kern County), Havilah — Historic Havilah
First County Seat for Kern County 1866 - 1874 — Map (db m121026) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — Convair CV-990NASA Landing Systems Research — Aircraft (LSRA)
This jet was used by NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center, Edwards, California as the Landing Systems Research Aircraft (LSRA) in 1993 and 1994 to flight test space shuttle landing gear and braking systems. It was modified with a main landing . . . — Map (db m121448) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — F-4 Phantom II
Creating sonic booms over Mojave, the F-4 Phantom II could reach speeds of Mach 2.2. It was the last fighter to be flown by pilots attaining ace status in the 20th century. Upon its retirement in 1996, 316 F-4 aircraft were then converted to drones . . . — Map (db m121454) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — SAAB TF-35XD DrakenSuper-Sonic Jet Trainer — On loan from the National Test Pilot School
This aircraft was used to train future Test Pilots & Flight Test Engineers from around the world by NTPS here at Mojave from 1994 - 2009. — Map (db m121458) HM
California (Lake County), Kelseyville — 426 — Site of First Adobe Home, Lake County
Built by Charles Stone and Andy Kelsey on land purchased from Salvador Vallejo. Constructed by forced Indian labor, causing much resentment and culminating in murder by Indians of both Stone and Kelsey in the fall of 1849. Their remains are beneath . . . — Map (db m121713) HM
California (Lake County), Lakeport — 897 — Lake County Courthouse
Lake County’s century-old classic courthouse, designed by A.P. Pettit in 1871, served as the seat of county government from 1871 until 1968 when it was replaced by the new courthouse. Among the court’s landmark cases were the White Cap murders, a . . . — Map (db m121364) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 401 — Adobe of the Rancho Los Feliz
Granted on March 22, 1843 to Maria Ygnacia Verdugo in confirmation of an earlier Spanish concession made to Vicente Feliz in 1795. Later owned by famous California pioneers Antonio Coronel and James Lick. Colonel Griffith Jenkins Griffith, in . . . — Map (db m120976) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Bradbury Building
Mining Tycoon L. Bradbury Makes His Mark His name endures in the eponymous town of wealth and horseflesh set against the San Gabriel Mountains, but mining tycoon Louis Bradbury made his loveliest mark on Southern California with the . . . — Map (db m121036) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Oviatt Building
Paris Exposition Like the jewel-box that it is, the Oviatt Building husbands its treasures within its walls… yet even casual passerby can get a hint of the gorgeousness inside, from just a glimpse of the nymph-crowned gates, of the overhead . . . — Map (db m121034) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spring Street
Spring Street In Northern California, they panned gold in the mountain canyons. In Southern California, they made gold, in the concrete canyons of Spring Street.Map (db m121038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Lankershim Train Depot
Laying Tracks, and a Foundation for the Future Land is the secret to Southern California's prosperity, but it isn't worth much without a way to move the goods and services it generates. This modest wooden building on a small parcel of land . . . — Map (db m121050) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — Sister Elsie’s Well
Dug by neophytes on the "Rancho Las Hermanas" (now owned by Philip Begue). Was used by the padres traveling over “Old Mission Trail” during the Spanish regime. — Map (db m121428) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens, Van Nuys, opened in 1966 at a contruction cost of $4 milion dollars. In 1979, the park closed to make way for a major brewery expansion. At its peak attendance, it was a major San Fernando Valley tourist attraction which was complete . . . — Map (db m121175) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Vernon — 167 — La Mesa Battlefield
During the United States occupation of California during the Mexican-American War, La Mesa served as a campsite for the Californio forces under General Castro in the summer of 1846. The last military encounter on the California front was fought here . . . — Map (db m121401) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — Old Faithful Steam Well
This small but mighty steam well was built back in the 1930s. It served a variety of purposes, but was especially useful when it came to cooking. Cooking with steam is a practice that goes back thousands of years. This particular steam well was used . . . — Map (db m121732) HM
California (Sacramento County), Rancho Cordova — Rocks to Rockets
The moon room is the link between space exploration and Prairie City SVRA. This area was once home to the world's largest site for rocket engine development. This three story underground bunker was built to protect scientists during testing of . . . — Map (db m121362) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 373 — Westminster Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m121391) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — First Bank Building - 1911Coronado Historical Landmark — Dedicated 1974 Coronado Historical Association
Coronado Historical Landmark First Bank Building - 1911 — Map (db m121576) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 83, 410 — St. John’s Presbyterian ChurchAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Registered Landmark Number 83 City and County of San Francisco — Map (db m121755) HM
Colorado (Lake County), Leadville — John B. "Texas Jack" Omohundro1846-1880
Born in Virginia, Texas Jack came west after the Civil War at age 16 to become a cowboy. He later made a name for himself as a plainsman and U.S. government scout who led the Pawnee Indians on their summer hunts and was guide for such notables as . . . — Map (db m121768) HM
Colorado (Montezuma County), Mancos — 1892 Horse-Drawn Pull Grader
With thanks and appreciation to Pete and Yvonne Doerfer for loaning the following items: For display only - please do not climb on this equipment. 1892 Horse-Drawn Pull Grader J.D. Adams invented the first successful . . . — Map (db m121097) HM
Colorado (Montezuma County), Mancos — Mancos Opera HouseBuilt 1910
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United states Department of the Interior January 9, 1988. Placed on the State Register of Historic Places January 27, 1988. This plaque was purchased . . . — Map (db m121094) HM
Colorado (Montezuma County), Mancos — The Columbine BarEst. 1910
As legend has it, The Columbine Bar was established in 1910, and continues to be one of the oldest operating bars in Colorado. In 1948 it was described in the Mancos Times as "an old bar run by old timers." It has always had a rather notorious . . . — Map (db m121092) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 3 — Hold the Mayo!Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
English, Irish and German settlers, as well as enslaved and free African Americans, were the first non-natives to claim Brightwood. Farmers dominated until the Civil War. Then in the 1890s electric streetcars allowed government workers to live . . . — Map (db m121018) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Canal House
The original Canal House was built in 1878 to store the feed and horses of the Georgetown Railroad Company. In the 1890's it was converted into a power generating plant for public transit. Today the Canal House stands as another example of the . . . — Map (db m121206) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Georgetown's Watering Holes
Among the first businesses in historic Georgetown were its inns and taverns. They not only offered food, drink and lodging, but were focal points of community life where political debate and civic meetings took place and business deals were made. . . . — Map (db m121195) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — S/Sgt. Richard F. Hoffman, A.A.F.
. . . — Map (db m121209) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Suter Home
Built c. 1801 - 1806 by John or Alexander Suter, sons of John Suter, owner of Suter's Tavern — Map (db m121205) HM

680 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 480
Paid Advertisement