Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

866 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 666
 
Thousand Islands International Bridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 8, 2018
Thousand Islands International Bridge Marker
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Lansdowne — Thousand Islands International Bridge

This international bridge system links Canada and the United States across the St. Lawrence River and islands from Ivy Lea, Ontario, to Collins Landing, N.Y. It was opened on August 18, 1938, by William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of . . . — Map (db m124428) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Mallorytown — The Macdonald Cartier Freeway

This plaque commemorates the completion of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway (Highway 401), the longest freeway operated without tolls by a single highway authority in North America.

Covering 510 miles between Windsor on the United States . . . — Map (db m124488) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 13 — Beckwith Street and Bridge / La rue Beckwith et le pont

Created during the town's settlement in the early 1820's, the name of Beckwith Street and its bridge derived from Beckwith Township, when strong ties existed between the Anglican congregations of both communities. At 99 feet wide, Beckwith . . . — Map (db m124644) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 16 — HMCS Smiths FallsThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Launched in Kingston August 19, 1944 this Corvette (of the Flower Class) sailed under Pennant K345 commanded by Lt. CDR. Philip Taber Byers. The ship made 3 Atlantic crossings as a convoy escort, later transporting men to Quebec City who were . . . — Map (db m124545) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 7 — Parc Victoria ParkThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

This once marshy area was transformed into a picturesque space in 1897, as trees, flower gardens, and pathways were landscaped to create a "public pleasure ground". The area was named Victoria Park in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, . . . — Map (db m124791) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Rotary Club Swimming Pool Stone / La pierre de la piscine du club Rotary

This stone, a reminder of the heritage of Smiths Falls, was restored by the Smiths Falls Rotary Club during the National Parks Centennial.

November 1985 . . . — Map (db m124736) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls

The 3 locks here were designed to overcome a series of rapids with a total fall of over 7 metres (20 feet). A set like this is known as a flight of locks - each lock raises a vessel part of the way - rather like a stairway. Construction here . . . — Map (db m124723) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — To Commemorate the Opening of the Rideau Canal 1832

[Title is text] — Map (db m124556) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 14 — Town Hall / L'Hôtel de VilleThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Town Hall The Town Hall was built in 1859 in the Classical Revival Style to house the municipal offices and council chambers of Smiths Falls including the Police and Fire Departments. In later years there were additions to the building . . . — Map (db m124512) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Vimy Oaks / Les chênes de Vimy

A chance for them to say what they cannot:__________. — Map (db m124630) WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — War MemorialLest We Forget — "They Gave Their To-day For Our To-morrow"

To the honoured memory of those who fought & fell in the Great War 1914 — 1918

[Battles] 1915 Ypres·Festubert·Givenchy

1916 Somme·Sanctuary Wood·Courcelette

1917 Vimy Ridge·Hill 70·Lens·Passchendaele

1918 . . . — Map (db m124565) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 12 — Wood's Mill / Moulin WoodThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Originally built in 1830 under Abel Russell Ward, this site has changed faces and owners many times. Throughout the course of its history, it was an oatmeal and grist mill, and then rebuilt in 1887 under the new ownership of Alexander Wood. . . . — Map (db m124632) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — World War Memorial"Their Glory shall never die"

In Memory Of Our Brave Dead 1914-1918.

S.W. Gilroy • G.B. Garton • G. Fields • A. Fields J.B. Perkins • W.H. Cooke • F. Fumerton • S. Holland J. McGill • C. Robinson • T. Powell • J. McShane H. Polk • E. Megart • F.H. . . . — Map (db m124501) WM

Quebec (L'Islet MRC), Saint-Roch-des-Aulnaies — Historique de la Caisse populaire Desjardins de Saint-Roch-des-AulnaiesHistory of the Saint-Roch-des-Aulnaies Credit Union — fondée en 1945 / founded in 1945

HISTORIQUE DE NOTRE CAISSE

1945 - Fondation de la Caisse populaire de Saint-Roch-des-Aulnets, Premier gérant: M. Jean-Charles Pelletier

1946 - 80 sociétaires; 13 956,28$ en épargne

1948 - Achat de la . . . — Map (db m124282) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — Hôtel-de-Ville-de-Rivière-du-Loup / Rivière-du-Loup Town Hall

Rivière-du-Loup est l'une des nombreuses collectivités canadiennes qui se donnèrent, après 1900, des hôtels de ville imposants. Ceux-ci abritaient les services de plus en plus nombreux des gouvernements locaux et constituaient un . . . — Map (db m124289) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — John McLoughlin1784 - 1857

Originaire de Rivière-du-Loup, McLoughlin fut d'abord médecin avant de se joindre à la Compagnie du Nord-Ouest en 1806. En 1814, il devint partenaire hivernant et, en 1820, il dirigea un groupe de dissidents qui désiraient s'unir à la . . . — Map (db m124288) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Han Christian Lumbye
Her fødtes Komponisten H.C. Lumbye 2 Maj 1810

-

(English translation:)

The composer H.C. Lumbye was born here on May 2, 1810. — Map (db m124420) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hans Christian Andersen
. . . — Map (db m124229) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hans Christian Ørsted
I et hus på dette sted opdagede fisikeren Hans Christian Ørsted elektromagnetismen i året 1820

-

(English translation:)

In a house on this site the physicist Hans Christian Ørsted discovered . . . — Map (db m124252) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Ludvig Holberg
havde her sin embedsbolig som professor ved universitetet fra den 21 de iuni 1740 indtil sin dødsdag den 28 de ianuar 1754

-

(English translation:)

Ludvig Holberg had his . . . — Map (db m124217) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Mindeankeret / The Memorial Anchor
Dette anker er rejst til minde om de mere end 2300 Danske søfolk som mistede livet under Anden Verdenskrig - 1939-1945.

This anchor is placed in honour of more than 2300 Danish sailors who lost their lives during World . . . — Map (db m124296) WM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — "Gerolzhöfer Frauenaufstand" / The Gerolzhofen "Womens' Revolt"
Gedenkstein für den "Gerolzhöfer Frauenaufstand"

geschaffen vom Gerolzhöfer Bildhauer Erich Leuner (1931-1958)

Am 6. April 1945 versammeln sich rund 1000 Frauen und Männer unter Führung der Hauptlehrerin Josefine Schmitt . . . — Map (db m124234) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Spottfratze, ca. 1450
ursprünglicher Standort: westliche äußere Stadtmauer im Bereich des Kiliansturms

Der Zungenblecker mit der eindeutigen Aufforderung "Leck mich am...” sollte die mit dem Westwind kommenden bösen Geister, Krankheiten und . . . — Map (db m124224) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Emy Roeder
Geburtshaus der Bildhauerin Emy Roeder * 1890 in Würzburg † 1971 in Mainz

-

(English translation:)

(This is the) place of birth of the sculptor Emy Roeder, born 1890 in Wuerzburg, . . . — Map (db m124306) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Hermann Müller-Thurgau
In diesem Gebäude, dem ehemaligen Botanischen Institut der Universität, wirkte von 1872 bis 1876 der Botaniker und spätere Weinbauforscher Prof. Dr. Hermann Müller-Thurgau, der 1882 die später nach ihm benannte Rebsorte . . . — Map (db m124427) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Historicher Gedenkpunkt / A Place for Historical Contemplation
The marker is made up of two separate pieces: a sculpture, with inscription, and an interpretive panel for the sculpture.

(Sculpture text:)

Ab 1147   Jüdischer Friedhof 1576-80   Bau des Juliusspitals durch Julius Echter . . . — Map (db m124434) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Julius Reichsgraf Von Soden1754-1831
Gruendete hier 1804 das erste Wuerzburger Theater

-

(English translation:)

Founded the first theater in Wuerzburg here in 1804 — Map (db m124218) HM

Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Café La Concordia
Aquí estuvo el Café “La Concordia” de Aldo Omarini. Siglo XIX. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the La Concordia Café of Aldo . . . — Map (db m125061) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Gran Café La Concordia
Aquí estuvo el Gran Café La Concordia, donde en el año de 1868 compartían mesa Ignacio Ramírez y Manuel Payno. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was the Gran Café La Concordia, where in . . . — Map (db m125076) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of José de Borda
Casa de Jose de Borda Construccion de estilo barroco sobrio del siglo XVIII, para el acaudalado minero Jose de Borda, quien costeo la Iglesia de Santa Prisca in Taxco, Guerrero. La construcción se inició en 1775 y se suspendió en . . . — Map (db m124542) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of the Marquis de Prado Alegre
Esta fue la casa del Marqués de Prado Alegre edificada hacia el primer tercio del siglo XVIII. 1725. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: This was the house of . . . — Map (db m125060) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — La Droguería Plateros
Aquí estuvo la Droguería Plateros, donde se realizó la primera demostración pública del cinematógrafo. 1896. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was the Plateros Drugstore, where the first . . . — Map (db m125077) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Dolores Hidalgo — José Alfredo Jiménez MausoleumRuta Corazón de Guanajuato
Mausoleo a José Alfredo Jiménez Este monumento alberga la tumba del más famoso de los musicos vernáculos mexicanos: José Alfredo Jiménez, quien nació aquí en Dolores Hidalgo un 19 de enero de 1926. Autor de canciones como . . . — Map (db m124384) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Dolores Hidalgo — Virginia Soto RodríguezFirst Woman Municipal President of Mexico
Srta. Virginia Soto Rodriguez Nacio en esta Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Cuna de Independencia Nacional, el 15 de octubre de 1924 en la casa, en ese entonces número 27 de la Calle de Don Juan Manuel (hoy Calle Chiapas). Fueron sus padres . . . — Map (db m124571) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — El Puente de Nava
Puente de Nava Reedificado en el año 1774 Ayuntamiento 1989-1991 English translation: The Nava Bridge Rebuilt in the year 1774 City Hall 1989-1991Map (db m124283) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Emma Godoy
En esta casa nació, el 25 de marzo de 1918, la ilustre escritora Emma Godoy poeta, ensayista, dramaturga y defensora de la dignificación de la vejez. En el centenario de su nacimiento Marzo de 2018 English . . . — Map (db m124285) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Euquerio Guerrero López
En esta casa nació el 20 de Febrero de 1907 el insigne Lic. Don Euquerio Guerrero López quien fuera Rector de la Universidad de Guanajuato, Presidente de la Suprema Corte de Justicia de la Nación, Senador por el Estado y Fundador del . . . — Map (db m124250) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Guanajuato Flooding of 1873
Nivel marcado por la inundación Agosto 20, 1875 English translation: This was the level of the flooding of August 20, 1873 — Map (db m124326) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — House of Juan Antonio de Riano y Bárcenas
Casa del Intendente D. Juan Antonio de Riano y Bárcenas, insigne benefactor de la Ciudad. H. Ayuntamiento Constitucional 1938-1939 English translation: House of the Intendant Juan Antonio de . . . — Map (db m124235) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — 11 of 19 — Plaza del BaratilloUn Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Plaza del Baratillo Si ya está frente a la fuente de la plaza del Baratillo, adelante, tómese la foto. Está en uno de los íconos favoritos de la ciudad de Guanajuato. La fuente de estilo florentino rodeada diariamente de vendedoras . . . — Map (db m124328) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Ponciano Aguilar
El H. Ayuntamiento 1942-43 y el Club Rotario de Guanajuato en memoria del insigne guanajuatense Ing. Don Ponciano Aguilar cuyas obras perduran como testigos de una vida ejemplar English translation: The Honorable . . . — Map (db m124373) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Puente de San Juan Nepomuceno
Puente de San Juan Nepomuceno o Puente del Rastro, construido en 1773 Ayuntamiento 1989-91 English translation: The San Juan Nepomuceno Bridge, also known as the Stockyard Bridge, constructed in . . . — Map (db m124344) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Temple of the Company of JesusUn Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Templo de la Compañía Se dice que los mineros trabajaron día y noche para construirlo. El templo de la Compañía de Jesús fue una de las mayores obres jesuíticas de la Nueva España. Los jesuitas instalaron aquí su hospicio en 1732, el . . . — Map (db m124353) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — 7 of 19 — The Basilica of GuanajuatoUn Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Basílica de Guanajuato Se le denominó Parroquia de Guanajuato hasta el año de 1957, en que se le elevó a la categoría de Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato. Su construcción se inició en el año de 1671 y se concluyó en 1696, . . . — Map (db m124377) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Fountain of the Plaza del Baratillo
La Fuente que adorna esta plaza fue inaugurada en la Plaza Mayor el 2 de Junio de 1852, y por ella brotó por primera vez agua entubada venida de la Presa de la Olla y para el servicio de la población. El 21 de enero de 1886 se quitó de la . . . — Map (db m124345) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Route of HidalgoLa Ruta de Hidalgo
El Gobernador del Estado de Guanajuato Juan Manuel Oliva Ramírez y el H. Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato en el marco de los Festejos del Bicentenario Restauran la Estela de la Libertad que simboliza la Ruta de la Independencia . . . — Map (db m124266) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Temple of San Roque
San Roque Templo construido en 1726 por el sacerdote Don Juan José de Sopeña y Cervera donde funcionó desde el 13-X-1746 hasta el 13-III-1794 una Santa Escuela de Cristo, creada por el religioso Luis Felipe Neri de Alfaro . . . — Map (db m124378) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Villa de Guanajuato
En el año de 1668 hasta aquí llegaba el caserio de la Villa de Guanajuato English translation: In the year 1668 this was the limit of the Town of Guanajuato — Map (db m124231) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — The Sanctuary of the Queen of Mexico
Este santuario de la Reina de Mexico, cabe el Monumento Nacional de Cristo Rey, fue idea del VI Prelado de Leon Dr. D. Emeterio Valverde Tellez. Fue abierto al culto, dedicado y consagrado el altar el 8 de diciembre de 1953 al iniciar . . . — Map (db m124340) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Benito Juárez
Mi única aspiración es servir a los intereses del pueblo y respetar su verdadera voluntad Benito Juarez Huichapan Hgo. Marzo del 2001 English translation: “My only aspiration is to serve the . . . — Map (db m124613) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — El ChapitelHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
El Chapitel “Los religiosos y los párrocos clérigos hicieron fabricar en los pueblos grandes, y adonde los vecinos de un distrito o provincia se reunían cierto día de la semana en los mercados que llamaban 'tianguis', que . . . — Map (db m124625) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — First Celebration of the Mexican Independence Proclamation
En este lugar se conmemoro por vez primera en el país el Grito de Independencia el 16 de septiembre de 1812 por el Lic. y Gral. Ignacio Lopez Rayon y el Lic. Andres Quintana Roo Huichapan., Hgo. 22 de diciembre de 1972 . . . — Map (db m124716) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Julián Villagrán
Al héroe y mártir Insurgente General Julian Villagran - Homenaje - Que se le tributa en la Celebration del 1r Centenario de la Independencia Nació en esta ciudad el 10 de enero de 1755. Cuando se le ofreció indultar a su hijo José . . . — Map (db m124722) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Julián Villagrán and José María Villagrán
A la memoria de los héroes insurgentes Gral. Julian Villagran y Jose Maria Villagran (padre e hijo) sacrificados en esta su tierra natal en 1813 y cuyas cabezas se expusieron en este parque. Año de la Constitucion y del . . . — Map (db m124515) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Pedro María Anaya
A la memoria del Gral. Pedro Maria Anaya Heroe de Churubusco 20 de agosto de 1847 Huichapan Hgo. Agosto 1978 English translation: To the memory of General Pedro María Anaya Hero of Churubusco . . . — Map (db m124724) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Parroquia de San Mateo ApóstolHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
Parroquia de San Mateo Apóstol Esta iglesia, cuya obra se inició en 1758 y se terminó en 1763 bajo la dirección del maestro de obras don Antonio Simón, se construyó a petición del Benefactor Don Manuel González Ponce de León, quien en . . . — Map (db m124316) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Plaza of the Independence Martyrs
Plazuela de los Martires de la Independencia El 5 de mayo de 1813 las Fuerzas Realistas al mando del Gral. Pedro Monsalves fusilaron en este lugar tras de diezmarlos y quintarlos a 43 patriotas huichapeños que con vizarria defendieron . . . — Map (db m124720) WM
Turkey, Çanakkale (Çanakkale Merkez), Tevfikiye — 5a — Citadel Wall
English Text: View of the outside of the Troia II/III Citadel Wall, ca 2500-2200 BCE. (Schliemann's 'Burnt City'). This reconstruction built with hand made and fired mudbrick preserves the original mudbrick material, which is . . . — Map (db m123278) HM
Turkey, Çanakkale (Çanakkale Merkez), Tevfikiye — 4 — The Temple of Athena
English Text: Where you are now standing there once lay the forecourt of the temple of Athena belonging to the Greek and Roman city Ilion. Looking down you can see in the center of the mound a wide area at a lower level. This was . . . — Map (db m123252) HM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), Bodmin — Bodmin Beacon
Walter Raleigh Gilbert Born March 18 1785 Died 10 May 1855 To the Memory of Sir Walter Raleigh Gilbert. Lieutenant General in the Bengal Army who, after sharing as a Subaltern in the campaigns of 1803 and 1804 under Lord Lake . . . — Map (db m124240) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), Bodmin — Bodmin Militia Stores Keep
In 1859, because of the aggressive foreign policy pursued by Napoleon III, Britain felt herself under threat of invasion by France. This keep was built in that year, on land donated by the Town of Bodmin, as a militia stores, designed to hold . . . — Map (db m124237) HM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), Bodmin — Bodmin War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m124232) WM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), Bodmin — Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry Memorial
Erected By the DCLI To Their Glorious Dead 255 Officers 4027 Other Ranks 1914 — 1919 I France & Flanders 1914 – 1917 Italy 1917 – 1918 France & Flanders 1918 – 1919 VI France & Flanders 1915 – . . . — Map (db m124233) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), Bodmin — RAF Linguists Association
The Royal Air Force Linguists’ Association 2004 RAFLing Association JSSL Between 1951 and 1956, the Joint Services School for Linguists was located at Walker Lines, Bodmin. Here Linguists were trained for covert work, their vigilance . . . — Map (db m124239) HM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), Bodmin — Sir Arthur Quiller Couch House
On or Near This Spot Stood the House in which Sir Arthur Quiller Couch House Renowned In All the World As a Freeman of the Borough of Bodmin Was Born on the 21st November 1863. 21st November 1963. ( lower plaque ) This . . . — Map (db m124230) HM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), Bodmin — U.S. Army 29th Infantry Division Memorial
In honor of the Hallowed Memory of the 3533 Men of the 29th Division. United States Army Killed in Battle from 6 June 1944 To Victory in Europe 8 May 1945 In October 1942 the 29th Infantry Divison Composed of National Guard Units from . . . — Map (db m124236) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), St Breward — Diamond Jubilee Oak Tree
This Oak Tree Was Planted In Commemoration Of The Diamond Jubilee Of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II On 4th June 2012 — Map (db m124244) HM
United Kingdom, England (Cornwall County), St Breward — St Breward War Memorial
We Must Not Forget We Must Always Remember WWI 1914 – 1918 L/Sgt Francis S Armstrong · L/Cpl William H Arthur · Pte George Bunt · Pte Frederick W Chidley · Pte Frederick C Cottell · PO John Drew · Sgt Frank Ebbett · Sapper James H Gill · . . . — Map (db m124241) WM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Chantry House and Skeffington House
The Wigston Family and Leicester Chantry House and Skeffington House Two Tudor houses in the heart of modern Leicester William Wigston’s Chantry House was added to the Newarke precinct around 1511. William Wigston was a wealthy Leicester wool . . . — Map (db m125066) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Church of the Annunciation
Richard III’s Medieval Leicester Church of the Annunciation The Hawthorn Building of De Montfort University was built on the site of the former Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church and the Richard III Story . . . — Map (db m125067) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Jain Centre — Castle Park
19th century congregational chapel was converted during the 1980’s to a centre for devotees of Jainism, an ancient religion that teaches love to all living creatures. The building contains important examples of traditional Indian architecture . . . — Map (db m125073) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Jain Centre
Changing Pasts Jain Centre Chapel to Temple What we know today Samuel Leicester’s Jain Centre started life in 1863 as a Congregational Chapel (an Independent church). This area around Oxford Street was developed from the mid-19th Century and, . . . — Map (db m125074) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Medieval Streets
Medieval Leicester Medieval Streets The Medieval origins of a modern city Medieval Leicester lay within the old Roman walls. The town walls followed the lines of what are now Soar Lane, Sanvey Gate, Church Gate, Gallowtree Gate, Horsefair . . . — Map (db m125075) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Municipal Technical & Art Schools
Municipal Technical & Art Schools This Stone was Laid on the 30th Day of March 1896 by Alderman Sir Thomas Wright Knt JP Chairman of the Committee Alderman Edward Wood JP Mayor — Map (db m125042) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Newarke Gateway
Richard III’s Medieval Leicester Newarke Gateway The Newarke Gateway and the Richard III Story After his defeat at the Battle of Bosworth, King Richard III’s corpse was brought back to Leicester and put on public display in the Newarke . . . — Map (db m125065) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Portland and Hawthorn Buildings
A Manufacturing Town Portland and Hawthorn Buildings Creating a skilled workforce for Leicester The original purpose of the Hawthorn Building is shown on its entrance doors opposite Trinity House. The four panels by Percy Brown depicting art . . . — Map (db m125069) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Collegiate Church
The Collegiate Church Upon this site stood the important and beautiful Collegiate Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, which was founded in 1355-6 by Henry, First Duke of Lancaster and Fourth Lancastrian Earl of Leicester. When he enlarged his . . . — Map (db m125046) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Magazine
This building, which dates from the 14th century, served as the main gateway to the Newarke. During the Civil War it was used as a magazine (or secure armaments store) hence its present name. as a regimental museum it continues to have military . . . — Map (db m125041) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Whipping Toms
The Whipping Toms On this spot stood the Whipping Toms, who, on Shrove Tuesday, in accordance with the ancient custom, armed themselves with wagon whips and flogged anyone who entered the precincts of the Newarke. The sport was abolished by Act . . . — Map (db m125044) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — This Stone
This Stone was Laid on the 17th of June 1927 by Her Grace The Duchess of Atholl D.B.E. LL.D. MP. Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Education Councillor Walter Oram Chairman of Committee Ald. Sir Jonathan North J.P. . . . — Map (db m125070) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Upperton Road Viaduct
“When Men Yield Up The Privilege of Thinking, the Last Shadow of Liberty Quits the Horizon” Thomas Paine, 1737-1809 The Upperton Road Viaduct Redevelopment Scheme Was Opened by The Lead Member for Transportation . . . — Map (db m125071) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Archaeology, the Castle Ditch
Oxford Preservation Trust Archaeology, the Castle Ditch and its skeletons In 2003 excavations uncovered the Castle Ditch part of the defences of the Norman Castle. 64 human skeletons were found buried here, many dating from the late . . . — Map (db m124273) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Baptists of Oxford
Near this place the Baptists of Oxford worshipped from 1661 to 1715 in the house of Richard Tidmarsh (minister 1661 – 1691). Baptisms took place in the stream below. The meeting-house was destroyed by rioters in 1715. Erected by members . . . — Map (db m124319) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Beaumont Palace
Near to this Spot Stood the King’s Houses Later Known as Beaumont Palace King Richard I Was Born Here in 1157 And King John in 1167 — Map (db m124426) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Christ Church
Christ Church Oxford’s Unique Foundation of College and Cathedral The collegiate University of Oxford contains within it almost 40 independent educational institutions, or colleges. Christ Church is the largest. It is also, uniquely, the . . . — Map (db m124409) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — George Claridge Druce
George Claridge Druce FRS 1850 - 1932 Botanist Pharmacist Mayor and Alderman lived here at his shop 1879 - 1905 — Map (db m124417) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Great Jewry
This Street Known Till 1300 As Great Jewry Contained Many Houses of the Jews Including the Synagogue Which Lay to the North Of Tom Tower 1931 — Map (db m124415) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — New Road
New Road was new in 1770, built by a turnpike trust as a western exit from the city centre. It sliced through the former Oxford Castle bailey (the open space within the castle walls), providing an ideal site for what became the city's principal . . . — Map (db m124318) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Old County Hall
Oxford Preservation Trust Old County Hall (1841) This castellated building housed two courts, one civil, one criminal. Today, the building forms part of the Oxfordshire County Council offices in County Hall and one of the courts still . . . — Map (db m124521) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxford Castle
Oxford Castle dates from 1071 and stamped the authority of England's new Norman rulers on the town. It changed the layout of this area but incorporated an earlier watch-tower (c.1020) which became the tower of St George's Church. The castle . . . — Map (db m124308) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxford Martyr’s Memorial
To the Glory of God And in Grateful Commemoration of His Servants Thomas Cranmer Nicholas Ridley Hugh Latimer Prelates of the Church of England Who Near This Spot Yielded Their Bodies To Be Burned Bearing Witness to the . . . — Map (db m124255) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxford War Memorial
In Memory of Those Who Fought and Those Who Fell 1914 - 1918 ( inscribed on the steps ) For Those Who Fought 1914 - 1918 And Those Who Fell and 1939 – 1945 And All Others Who Have Given Their Lives In the . . . — Map (db m124354) WM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxfordshire Boer War Memorial
This Monument was Erected by the Officers Non Commissioned Officers and Men of the Second Battalion Oxfordshire Light Infantry in Memory of Their Comrades Who Died Between the 15‐ of August 1897 and the 4‐ of November 1898 Killed . . . — Map (db m124270) WM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxfordshire County Council
Welcome to Oxfordshire County Council The modern building in front of you is County Hall, headquarters of Oxfordshire County Council. It was opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 1976. The County Council is responsible for key public services in . . . — Map (db m124271) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Park End Street
You are standing on Pacey's Bridge which crosses two branches of the Castle Mill Stream, itself a branch of the River Thames. The original bridge was constructed in 1770 when Park End Street and New Road were built as a turnpike road to provide a . . . — Map (db m124320) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Prison D Wing
Oxford Preservation Trust Prison D Wing (1790) William Blackburn designed D Wing, the Debtors' Tower and C Wing. When the prison expanded St. George's Chapel was demolished, though the ancient Crypt remains. Oxford Castle Unlocked . . . — Map (db m124277) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Prison Debtors’ Tower
Oxford Preservation Trust Prison Debtors’ Tower (1790) This Tower was built to imprison debtors who owed money. A rare triangular stone staircase leads to four floors divided into cells, some with fireplaces. Prisoners remained in prison . . . — Map (db m124276) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Prison Governor’s House
. . . — Map (db m124272) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Radcliffe Square
Radcliffe Square, the historic heart of Oxford University has been called the finest square in Europe (Pevsner). It was created by the university authorities in the 1730s by demolishing the medieval houses to make a 'university forum'. It is . . . — Map (db m124256) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Reredos Memorial
The Reredos is Dedicated to God With Praise and Thanksgiving In Memory of All S. Aldgate’s Men Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War 1914-19 Robert Allsworth · Harold Bricknell · Charles H. Bull · Sidney F. Bull · Fred Butler . . . — Map (db m124412) WM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — St Giles’
The tree-lined avenue of St Giles' is named after the Norman St Giles’ Church in front of you. The area lies outside the original city wall and development began in the 12th century as Oxford's population grew. Some early properties were farms but . . . — Map (db m124254) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Crown
The Crown Inn was already nearly three centuries old when it acquired its name in 1625. The Crown was one of the first coaching houses in Oxford, which was a great coaching centre until the coming of the railway in 1835. The present building is . . . — Map (db m124355) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Early University
The building in front of you is the University Church of St Mary the Virgin. This was the hub of the University of Oxford from the end of the 12th century when organised teaching first began. Most of the church dates from the 15th century but the . . . — Map (db m124257) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The High Street
Oxford's curved High Street was praised by the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner as ‘one of the world's great streets' with its glorious mix of college buildings and medieval to 18th century houses. The building opposite you is an addition . . . — Map (db m124258) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Motte and Bailey
The Motte and Bailey Oxford Castle was built in 1071 by Robert d'Oilly who had accompanied William the Conqueror from Normandy to England in 1066. The Castie was surrounded by a moat from which material came to form both a high Mound or Motte and . . . — Map (db m124274) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Perimeter Wall
Oxford Preservation Trust The Perimeter Wall at Oxford Prison (1790) The wall is built close to a stream using large stones with a rubble inner core and smaller loose stones above, and later, razor wire. All this made escape underneath or . . . — Map (db m124275) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — This Stone
This Stone Was Laid on The Sixth Day of July 1895 Being the Wedding Day of HRH The Duke of York And HSH Prince Victoria Mary of Teck by Thomas Lucas Esquire   Mayor Thomas M. Taphouse Esquire   Sheriff John Paprell & Son   Builders . . . — Map (db m124416) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Vaulted Well Chamber
Oxford Preservation Trust Vaulted Well Chamber (13th century) The Chamber houses a 54 feet deep brick-faced well which drops to the water level below the Mound. This provided a supply of fresh water to the occupants of the Tower which once . . . — Map (db m124520) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Victoria Fountain
Victoria Fountain Inaugurated By HRH Princess Louise May 25 1899 Restored 2009 by Oxford City Council and Oxford Preservation Trust Supported by East Area Parliament, Magdalen College and CPRE Oxfordshire Buildings Preservation . . . — Map (db m124522) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — William Wilkinson
William Wilkinson 1819 – 1901 Architect of the Randolph Hotel and designer of North Oxford Victorian suburb lived and practised here 1860 - 1886 — Map (db m124424) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Sandford-on-Thames — Sandford Lock
Water power from the Thames Although the Romans introduced watermills to Britain they mainly relied on slave labour to grind grain by hand. As a result mills did not become numerous until Saxon times. By the time of Domesday there were more-than . . . — Map (db m124419) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 11 Priory Row
11 Priory Row Early 18th century town house with fine brick front and stone dressings in Roman Ionic style, rebuilt and restored after extensive bomb damage this house with nearby Nos 7 and 16 Little Park Street are the only surviving examples of . . . — Map (db m124733) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 22 & 23 Bayley Lane
22 & 23 Bayley Lane No 22 ‘The Cottage’ built about 1500 is the only remaining example of numerous medieval timber framed houses which stood in this area. Notable for its original carved and traceried woodwork. Chimneys were added in the 17 . . . — Map (db m124728) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 7 Priory Row
7 Priory Row Built circa 1800, this house with Nos 8-10 Priory Row are the best surviving examples of late 18th century town houses in Coventry John Gulson Mayor 1867 and 1868 a generous public benefactor lived here 1835-1904 — Map (db m124735) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 9 – 10 Priory Row
9-10 Priory Row Fine examples of early 19th century town houses. built over part of the site of the Cathedral Priory of St Mary founded 1043. Cellars under this house include parts of the priory ruins, approximately 4 metres (13ft) below the . . . — Map (db m124734) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Angela Brazil
Angela Brazil Children’s Writer Lived and Worked Here 1911 - 1947 — Map (db m124936) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Blue Coat School
Blue Coat School Opened as a charity school in 1714 rebuilt on the same site 1856-7 with Gothic architecture in the style of a French chateau. The two octagonal stone towers embody bases of towers of the ruined Monastic Church of St Mary dating . . . — Map (db m124905) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Cathedral Church of St Michael
The Cathedral Church of St Michael A house of worship, dedicated to the Archangel, St Michael, has stood on this site from the time of Henry I in the 12th Century. From its beginnings as a small Norman chapel, St Michael's progressively enlarged, . . . — Map (db m124653) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Choir of Survivors
Chor der Überlebenden Choir of Survivors Geschenk Der Stiftung Frauenkirche Dresden Zum 50-Jährigen Jubiläumder Weihe Der St. Michael’s-Kathedrale Von Coventry Am 25. Mai 2012 Donation of the Frauenkirche Foundation Dresden For the . . . — Map (db m124647) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Christchurch Spire
This Tower and Spire formed the centre of the Church of the Grey Friars built in 1350 with stone from a quarry nearby owned by the Black Prince. The Friary was demolished in 1512 but the spire was left standing in a garden until 1829 when . . . — Map (db m124934) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — County Hall
County Hall Built 1783-4 architect Samuel Eglinton. Used for the county court and quarter sessions. It is the only remaining 18th century public building of architectural distinction in Coventry. At one time it also housed the prison governor of . . . — Map (db m124732) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Coventry Cathedral
Coventry Cathedral – Living Icon of Reconciliation and Hope In 1940 this building, together with much of the city, was destroyed by fire bombs. Resolved to live out the Christian message of forgiveness, and running counter to the feelings of . . . — Map (db m124659) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dame Ellen Terry
Dame Ellen Terry Actress Born 27th Feb. 1847 in a house which stood nearby — Map (db m124642) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Donald Gibson CBE
‘He was ahead of his time. What he did astonished the world. Coventry desperately needed his inspiration’ Gibson, Sir Donald Evelyn Edward, C.B.E., D.C.L., M.A., P.P.R.I.B.A., D.I.S.T., T.P., M.T.P.I., T.P.I. Born 11th October 1908, Died . . . — Map (db m124560) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dresden Place
This plaque was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Dresden Herr Gerhard Schill in the presence of His Excellency the Ambassador of the German Democratic Republic Herr Karl-Heinz Kern and the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor G.W. . . . — Map (db m124933) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ecce Homo
Ecce Homo The ststue was carved by Sir Jacob Epstein during 1934 – 5 from a block of Subiaco marble. It was given to Coventry Cathedral at the wish of Lady Epstein and dedicated on 22 March 1969. Ecce Homo represents Christ before Pilate . . . — Map (db m124658) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ford’s Hospital
Ford’s Hospital Named after William Ford who’s will of 1509 endowed the almshouses. Built around a narrow court yard it is one of the most perfect examples of timber framed architecture in the country. Badly damaged by an air raid of November 1940 . . . — Map (db m124930) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Gift To The People Of Coventry
A gift to the people of Coventry From Catholic citizens Blessed by Vincent Eighth Archbishop of Birmingham 11 March 2001 — Map (db m124912) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Golden Cross Inn
The Golden Cross Inn Built circa 1583. Much restored, one of the most dramatic examples of medieval timber framed building to survive in Coventry with oversailing or ‘jettied’ upper floors on exposed timbers — Map (db m124731) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Grey Friars Gate
Bull Yard was formally a short street (Bull Street) leading to Barracks Square Market (now the Barracks car park), but on Samuel Bradford’s 1748-49) Coventry map it was part of a much longer path leading from Greyfriars gate to Smithford Street, . . . — Map (db m124937) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Home Front Memorial
In gratitude to God and to commend to future generations the self-sacrifice of all those who served on the Homefront during the Second World War ( inscribed on the perimeter ) Let each of you look not to your own . . . — Map (db m124648) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman Biggs
Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman Biggs First Bishop of the Revived See of Coventry 1918 – 1922 — Map (db m124656) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — John Hewitt
John Hewitt Irish Poet Art Director At This Gallery 1957 – 72 Coventry Heritage Plaques — Map (db m124548) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Lady Godiva’s Cathedral
Godiva, Lady of Coventry (died 10th September 1067) and her husband Leofric, Earl of Mercia (died 28th September 1057) were buried here in the church of the Benedictine monastery they founded in 1043 on the site of St Osburg’s nunnery, . . . — Map (db m124907) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Lady Herbert’s Garden
Lady Herbert’s Garden & Garden of International Friendship Lady Herbert’s Garden was laid out in the 1930s by Alfred Herbert as a memorial to his second wife. The garden of International Friendship was opened in 2000 as part of the City . . . — Map (db m124941) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Pier 3 North — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The north side of the nave was rebuilt in Gothic style in the early 13th century. Pointed arches were supported on typically diamond-shaped bases. The piece of stone on display represents the Gothic architecture of much of the cathedral and . . . — Map (db m124913) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Pier 3 South — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The south side of the nave was built in the 12th century in Norman Romanesque style. The pieces of stone here display the robust Romanesque architecture f this side of the cathedral. The half round shaft is typical of this style and many would . . . — Map (db m124911) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Reconciliation
Reconciliation In 1995, 50 years after the end of the Second World War this sculpture by osefina de Vasconcellos has been given by Richard Branson as a token of reconciliation. An identical sculpture has been placed on behalf of the people . . . — Map (db m124652) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Royal Warwickshire Regiment Memorial
1914   1918 To the Glorious Memory Of the Officers and Men of The 7th Battalions The Royal Warwickshire Regiment Who Fell in The Great War This Tablet was Erected by Their Comrades — Map (db m124660) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ruined Cathedral Church of St Michael
The Ruined Cathedral Church of St. Michael Dates from 1300AD. One of the largest parish churches in England, built originally for the Earl's Half of Coventry, it became the Cathedral of the Diocese of Coventry in 1918. The magnificent west tower . . . — Map (db m124727) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Sanctuary
The Sanctuary, built in the 14th century and destroyed in the 20th. The cross of burnt roof timbers, the cross of nails in the cathedral and the altar of broken stones, are symbols of the Christian hope of resurrection after suffering. The Litany . . . — Map (db m124657) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Service of Remembrance
· · nation shall not lift up sword against nation — neither shall they learn war anymore · Micah 4 · 3 · 1940 Coventry 1990 forward in friendship This plaque was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The . . . — Map (db m124654) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Sir Frank Whittle
Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle OM, KBE, CB, FRS, FRAeS This statue celebrates the centenary of Frank Whittle’s birth in Coventry and shows him watching the first test flight of a jet-propelled Gloster-Whittle E28/39 on 15 May 1941 . . . — Map (db m124938) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — St Mary’s Hall
St Mary’s Hall Built 1340-1460 restored 1824 thought to include parts of a 12 century castle in the south wall. Originally the guild hall and chambers for the merchants guilds of St Mary and Holy Trinity founded 1340 and 1364. Became the first seat . . . — Map (db m124729) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — St Michael’s Baptist Church
On this site stood St. Michaels Baptist Church from 1856 until November 1940 rebuilt at Quinton Park, Cheylesmore, Coventry. New building completed on original foundations 1991. — Map (db m124730) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Swanswell Gate
Swanswell Gate Completed circa 1440 as part of the fortified town wall, remains of which stand in the adjoining gardens. Originally named Priory Gate it gave access to the Prior’s lands outside the wall, including Swanswell Fishpool. The archways . . . — Map (db m124939) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Architect’s Vision
‘One of the finest shopping centres in the world’ The shopping precinct in Coventry has been recognised as a model for a number of similar centres throughout the world. It was the world's first large scale pedestrianised shopping area. . . . — Map (db m124563) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Cloister
The Cloister The priory cloister was situated on the north side of the cathedral. It formed a square space surrounded by monastic buildings, the most important being the chapter house on the east side. The cloister was important for its seclusion . . . — Map (db m124914) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Council House
The Council House Built 1913-17. The red sandstone facing and early tudor styling was chosen by a competition to be in keeping with nearby St Mary’s Hall. The large porch is flanked by guilded armorial decoration under giant figures of Leofric and . . . — Map (db m124554) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Coventry Theatre
The Coventry Theatre The New Hippodrome, as it was originally named, was opened on 1 November 1937. It was the third Hippodrome on this site, the first situated in Pool Meadow (1903) and the second (1907) built in what is now the lower part of Lady . . . — Map (db m124940) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Guild Chapels
These chapels were established in the side aisles. They were commissioned in the 14th and 15th centuries for thee use of the Mercantile Guilds in the City. They were primarily chantries – endowed chapels in which Masses were sung for . . . — Map (db m124661) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Lychgate Cottages
Coventry City Council The Lychgate Cottages Named after the lychgate, through which funerals once entered Holy Trinity graveyard (Old English lic – corpse). The jetted building has been tree-ringed dated to 1414-15 and is the only . . . — Map (db m124906) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The North West Tower — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
To the left are the arches that lead into the north west tower, constructed in the early 13th century. This is the only ‘room’ surviving from the cathedral. It may have contained a chapel reached via a pointed arch from the north aisle. The two . . . — Map (db m124910) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Quadrant
The Quadrant Built circa 1860. Coventrys finest example of terraced housing for the prosperous middle-classes of that era. The neo-classic terrace is built in six individual sections each with its own variation in design. — Map (db m124935) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The South Porch – Nave & Chancel – Apse
The South Porch Built around 130, the porch was retained when the main body of the early English Church was demolished in the 14th to 15th centuries. It is now called the Chapel of the Ressurection; dedicated to Bishop Mervyn Haigh in June 1942. . . . — Map (db m124645) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The South West Tower — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
There is little left of the south west tower of the cathedral except the west wall and part of the spiral staircase found in 1856. The full plan of the 13th century tower was revealed during the 1999 excavations. The square room at the bottom of . . . — Map (db m124908) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Statue of Christ
The Statue of Christ This is a second casting, in concrete, of a statue at Blundell's School in Devon. It was created by an 18 year old pupil Alain John. The Headmaster, Neville Gorton, later became Bishop of Coventry and on the death of Alain . . . — Map (db m124655) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Tower & Spire
The Tower & Spire St Michaels tower was completed in1394 and the Spire in 1433 and today stands at 294 feet. The 14th century Tower was built on the edge of a quarry on poor ground — jumble of rubble in clay with bits of old stone coffins, . . . — Map (db m124646) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The West Front — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The west front is the best preserved part of the nave. Only the interior of the wall can be seen. It was built in the early 13th century as part of a grand re-fronting of the cathedral. It was discovered in 1856 when the Blue Coat School was being . . . — Map (db m124909) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Three Ancient Edifices
You are standing upon the site of three ancient edifices On the summit of hill top (approximately on this site) a convent was established about the year 650 A.D. By a Saxon lady later canonised under the name of St Osburg. The convent was . . . — Map (db m125064) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Spanish Discovery
Near here in late summer of 1540, soldiers from the Spanish expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado became the first Europeans to see Grand Canyon. After journeying for six months, Coronado's army arrived at the Hopi mesas, east of Grand . . . — Map (db m124529) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Tragedy RememberedGrand Canyon
Catastrophe can happen even in spectacular beauty. When technological achievements and human actions fail, disasters may happen. On June 30, 1956, a United Airlines DC-7 and a TWA Super Constellation maneuvered around towering cumulus clouds on . . . — Map (db m124533) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 3 — William Saroyan House MuseumWilliam Saroyan 1908-1981 — Pulitzer Prize Winning Writer
This was the Fresno home of William Saroyan for the last 17 years of his life. In that time he wrote: 1964 — One Day in the Afternoon of the World 1966 — Short Drive, Sweet Chariot 1968 — I Used to Believe I had Forever, . . . — Map (db m125022) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Canoga Park Fire Station #72
Built in 1931 and vacated in 1978 due to earthquake damage. Became the home of the Canoga Park Chamber of Commerce 1982. Dedicated as the Canoga Park Community Center 10/26/1986. Dedication of the Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Museum in part of the . . . — Map (db m124827) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Throop Memorial Garden
Left Panel: This was once the site of Throop Hall, named after the founder of Throop University, Amos G. Throop. Throop University was founded in 1891 and became the California Institute of Technology in 1920. Built in 1910, Throop Hall was . . . — Map (db m124169) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Ramona Museum of California HistoryRamona Parlor No. 109 Hall
This building, built in 1951, was purchased by Ramona Parlor No.109 Native Sons of the Golden West in 1998 and renovated as a meeting hall and a place to display their early California artifacts in their efforts to preserve the “Spirit of . . . — Map (db m124459) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Marino — Camellia Japonica ‘California’
`California' is believed to be the oldest camellia plant on record in Southern California. It arrived in 1888 as an unnamed seedling and was purchased for 25 cents off a Japanese tramp steamer in Redondo Beach harbor. For nearly 70 years the plant, . . . — Map (db m124471) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — “The Ink Well”A Place Of Celebration and Pain
The beach near this site between Bay and Bicknell Streets, known by some as "the Ink Well”, was an important gathering place for African Americans long after racial restrictions on public beaches were abandoned in 1927.

African-American . . . — Map (db m124367) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Saugus — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m123930) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — Tesoro Adobe
Harry Carey Sr. was an early silent-screen actor who starred in more than 200 films. In 1916 he took over the homestead rights of a previous settler and established his ranch of almost 2,000 acres. Carey, the first of many film actors to settle in . . . — Map (db m123931) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Lincoln Avenue Businesses
When the mines closed in Gold Run, a local entrepreneur named Paul Webber moved his business to Auburn. He began with the purchase of this Lincoln Avenue building. Two saloons and three dry goods stores were the first to open. Years later, . . . — Map (db m124537) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — Nine Young Pepper Trees
This is one of nine young pepper trees purchased and planted on Euclid Avenue by the students of Ontario's nine public elementary schools in observance of Arbor Day, March 8, 1954. The young trees were planted as replacements for mature trees . . . — Map (db m124287) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot
Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe railway built San Bernardino‘s first permanent train depot in 1886 to meet the growing number of rail passengers and to house its Los Angeles division administrative and freight offices. This two-and-a-half-story wooden . . . — Map (db m124518) HM
California (San Diego County), Naval Air Station, North Island — The World's First Seaplane FlightJan. 26, 1911.
Commemorating The World's First Seaplane Flight Jan. 26, 1911. By Glenn H. Curtiss.

His Seaplane was built here and flown from the waters of Spanish Bight San Diego, California. — Map (db m125010) HM

California (Trinity County), Weaverville — The Old Courthouse
At the head of Court Street next to the Catholic cemetery, J.F. Chillis in 1852, began building the first Trinity County courthouse. The twenty by sixty structure was three stories in 1853. The Trinity Masonic Lodge bought the third floor from the . . . — Map (db m124447) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — St. Francis Dam Disaster90th Anniversary
This memorial is dedicated to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the St. Francis Dam Disaster. Just before midnight on March 12, 1928, the dam collapsed and sent billions of gallons of water down the San Francisquito Canyon, eventually meeting . . . — Map (db m123932) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — Saint Francis Dam Disaster Memorial
Minutes before midnight on the chilly evening of March 12, 1928, the St. Francis Dam failed. The dam's 200-foot high concrete wall crumpled and collapsed, sending billions of gallons of raging flood waters down San Francisquito Canyon, about five . . . — Map (db m123933) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — St. Francis Dam Disaster
To honor victims of the St. Francis Dam Disaster, March 12, 1928. This monument of native stone was placed in respectful memory of the nameless souls whose unmarked graves rest in this hallowed ground. — Map (db m123934) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 16 — Chumash Hutash FiestaSan Miguel Chapel
The Chumash Indians used this site to celebrate their Hutash Fiesta, held after the harvest each year towards the end of September. The Hutash Fiesta coincided with the Spanish Missionary's San Miguel Day giving the historic Chapel built on the site . . . — Map (db m124617) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114 — El Caballo
Friar Pedro Benito Cambón—the mission’s co-founder was highly regarded for his knowledge of irrigation, agriculture and building construction—directed Chumash laborers to build this filtration building in 1792 as part of the mission’s . . . — Map (db m124925) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 23 — Hobson Bros. Packing Company
This is the site of the Hobson Bros. Packing Company, established in the 1870's as Ventura's first slaughterhouse. The business provided sausage and cut meat for delivery to most parts of the County. The present structure was built in 1923 and . . . — Map (db m124610) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 847 — Old County Court House
This imposing building was designed by Albert C. Martin and built in 1912 as the Ventura County Court House. It is an outstanding example of neo-classic architecture, considered the proper style for public buildings of the early 20th century. The . . . — Map (db m124508) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114-1 — Rancho Cañada LargaMission Aqueduct
Rancho Cañada Larga o Verde, as it was originally known, came out of lands of the San Buenaventura Mission. Following Mexican independence from Spain, Joaquina Alvarado de Moraga, whose late husband, Gabriel Moraga, was a distinguished soldier of . . . — Map (db m124924) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — San Buenaventura Mission AqueductSettling Tank
San Buenaventura Mission was an oasis of abundance. Visitors, including British Captain George Vancouver (1793) and the American California resident Alfred Robinson (early 1800s), commented on the good yield of the gardens and orchards. The nearby . . . — Map (db m124651) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — The Rocky Mountains
The high mountains west of here are the beginning of the Rocky Mountains. They are made up of resistant Precambrian granite and gneiss. The prominent red rocks in Red Rocks Park are the Fountain Formation, a series of sandstones and . . . — Map (db m125055) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Brownell Hall1845-1877

The inscribed stone below is the cornerstone of Brownell Hall, which was located on Trinity College's first campus at the present site of the State Capitol in Hartford. Built in 1845 as a dormitory, it was dedicated to the Rt. Rev. Thomas C. . . . — Map (db m124903) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Civil War Memorial

In memory of the Trinity men who fought for the principles in which they believed with the Union and Confederate forces in the Civil War and of those who gave "the last full measure of devotion" . . . — Map (db m125008) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Henry Howard BrownellClass of 1841 — "Our Battle Laureate"

Served as secretary to Admiral Farragut during the Battle of Mobile Bay ——————————— This Gun formed part of the Main Battery of Admiral Farragut's Flagship . . . — Map (db m124916) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Late Eighteenth Century Sundial

From the Abbey at Storrington, Sussex, England. — Map (db m124923) HM

Connecticut (Windham County), Brooklyn — Israel Putnam's First Home
400 Feet due East of this tablet was the site of the first home of Israel Putnam in the Colony of Connecticut

In 1739, he bought 514 ½ acres of the adjacent land from Governor Belcher at £5.0.0 per acre. In 1740, here he . . . — Map (db m124379) HM

District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Science Has Its Traditions As Well As Its FrontiersThe Newton Apple Tree
A descendant of the original tree whose fruit gave inspirational impetus to Isaac Newton's theory of gravitational forces was nurtured by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and transplanted here on the grounds of the National Bureau of Standards on . . . — Map (db m124922) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), LeDroit Park — Anna Julia Hayward Cooper ResidenceAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 201 T Street, NW
Educator, feminist, and civil rights activist Anna Julia Hayward Cooper (1858-1964) lived here from 1916 until her death. Born in North Carolina, Cooper graduated from Oberlin College and moved to Washington in 1887 to teach Latin at the Preperatory . . . — Map (db m124921) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Rock Creek Park — JusserandBanc Commeratif Erige a la Memoir de Jean Jule Jusserand Ambassadeur de France
The granite bench before you commemorates the scholarship, wisdom and skilled diplomacy of Jean Jules Jusserand, French Ambassador to the United States from 1902 to 1925. The memorial's inscription, "Personal Tribute of Esteem and Affectcion" . . . — Map (db m125004) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Takoma — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 2
Jurisdiction of the United States Miles 2 1792 Maryland Var. 1.12 — Map (db m125026) HM
Florida (Glades County), Moore Haven — Billie Bowlegs (III)chufí hajo — 1862 - 1965
In the Ortona cemetery, eight miles west of here, lie the remains of a noble citizen of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, a faithful representative of his people and a true friend of the white man. — Map (db m124261) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — Memorial for Austin C. Welch
Austin Craig Welch, who died attempting to save Crystal E. Droz from drowning. Bartow, Fl. September 3, 2016

"Our hero, Our protector" "I got this!" — Map (db m123549) HM

Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Curry Family / Wading Birds
Curry Family Roberts Bay was named for Robert Roberts, who arrived in the area in 1871 and acquired property at the mouth of the bay. His land extended southward along the coast to the southern limits of the present City of Venice. Curry . . . — Map (db m124899) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — History of Nokomis / Fred Albee
History of Nokomis The early community between Dona Bay and Roberts Bay was part of a larger community known as Horse and Chaise. The name came from clumps of trees that reminded sailors of a horse and chaise (two-wheeled horse-drawn wagon). . . . — Map (db m124898) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Johnson Chapel / Albee Quarters
The original Johnson Chapel building, located on Church Street in Laurel, was moved in 1947 from the Missionary Baptist Church in Osprey to become the sanctuary for the Johnson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Laurel. Naming the church for their . . . — Map (db m124875) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Laurel Turpentine Company / Blackburn Sawmill Quarters
Laurel Turpentine Company As the turpentine industry spread through southwest Florida, landowners leased turpentine rights to contractors who hired operators for camps that would harvest gum from thousands of acres of pine woods. The Laurel . . . — Map (db m125006) HM

866 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 666
Paid Advertisement