Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1050 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 850
 
Fort Carleton Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 18, 2018
Fort Carleton Marker
New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Fort Carleton1791

In 1791, Thomas Carleton, first Governor of New Brunswick, ordered the erection of a military post at Grand Falls, which bore his name. The Fort protected the route followed by postal couriers between Halifax and Quebec. It also affirmed the . . . — Map (db m125312) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to Our Veterans

Dedie a nos veterans — Map (db m125313) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — World Wars MemorialLest We Forget

In honored memory of the men of Grand Falls who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914 ——— 1918

Their names liveth forever

[Honored Dead]

Paul E. Green • John A. Taylor • T. H. Pirie • R. A. Estey . . . — Map (db m125314) WM

New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — Nellie Cunningham

The ground for this court donated by Nellie Cunningham in memory of her parents William T. and Fannie Cunningham — Map (db m125285) HM

New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — War Memorial

Honouring Our Heroic Dead

1914 - 1918 [World War I] Edwin Boyd • James Gould • Perley Graham Thomas Nicholson • Coburn Wright

1939 - 1945 [World War II] Reginald Chase • Claude Derrick • Samuel Dow Clifford Fox • . . . — Map (db m125286) WM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Lansdowne — Thousand Islands International Bridge

This international bridge system links Canada and the United States across the St. Lawrence River and islands from Ivy Lea, Ontario, to Collins Landing, N.Y. It was opened on August 18, 1938, by William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of . . . — Map (db m124428) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Mallorytown — The Macdonald Cartier Freeway

This plaque commemorates the completion of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway (Highway 401), the longest freeway operated without tolls by a single highway authority in North America.

Covering 510 miles between Windsor on the United States . . . — Map (db m124488) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 13 — Beckwith Street and Bridge / La rue Beckwith et le pont

Created during the town's settlement in the early 1820's, the name of Beckwith Street and its bridge derived from Beckwith Township, when strong ties existed between the Anglican congregations of both communities. At 99 feet wide, Beckwith . . . — Map (db m124644) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 16 — HMCS Smiths FallsThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Launched in Kingston August 19, 1944 this Corvette (of the Flower Class) sailed under Pennant K345 commanded by Lt. CDR. Philip Taber Byers. The ship made 3 Atlantic crossings as a convoy escort, later transporting men to Quebec City who were . . . — Map (db m124545) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 7 — Parc Victoria ParkThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

This once marshy area was transformed into a picturesque space in 1897, as trees, flower gardens, and pathways were landscaped to create a "public pleasure ground". The area was named Victoria Park in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, . . . — Map (db m124791) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Rotary Club Swimming Pool Stone / La pierre de la piscine du club Rotary

This stone, a reminder of the heritage of Smiths Falls, was restored by the Smiths Falls Rotary Club during the National Parks Centennial.

November 1985 . . . — Map (db m124736) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls

The 3 locks here were designed to overcome a series of rapids with a total fall of over 7 metres (20 feet). A set like this is known as a flight of locks - each lock raises a vessel part of the way - rather like a stairway. Construction here . . . — Map (db m124723) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — To Commemorate the Opening of the Rideau Canal 1832

[Title is text] — Map (db m124556) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 14 — Town Hall / L'Hôtel de VilleThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Town Hall The Town Hall was built in 1859 in the Classical Revival Style to house the municipal offices and council chambers of Smiths Falls including the Police and Fire Departments. In later years there were additions to the building . . . — Map (db m124512) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Vimy Oaks / Les chênes de Vimy

A chance for them to say what they cannot:__________. — Map (db m124630) WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — War MemorialLest We Forget — "They Gave Their To-day For Our To-morrow"

To the honoured memory of those who fought & fell in the Great War 1914 — 1918

[Battles] 1915 Ypres·Festubert·Givenchy

1916 Somme·Sanctuary Wood·Courcelette

1917 Vimy Ridge·Hill 70·Lens·Passchendaele

1918 . . . — Map (db m124565) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 12 — Wood's Mill / Moulin WoodThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Originally built in 1830 under Abel Russell Ward, this site has changed faces and owners many times. Throughout the course of its history, it was an oatmeal and grist mill, and then rebuilt in 1887 under the new ownership of Alexander Wood. . . . — Map (db m124632) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — World War Memorial"Their Glory shall never die"

In Memory Of Our Brave Dead 1914-1918.

S.W. Gilroy • G.B. Garton • G. Fields • A. Fields J.B. Perkins • W.H. Cooke • F. Fumerton • S. Holland J. McGill • C. Robinson • T. Powell • J. McShane H. Polk • E. Megart • F.H. . . . — Map (db m124501) WM

Quebec (L'Islet MRC), Saint-Roch-des-Aulnaies — Historique de la Caisse populaire Desjardins de Saint-Roch-des-AulnaiesHistory of the Saint-Roch-des-Aulnaies Credit Union — fondée en 1945 / founded in 1945

HISTORIQUE DE NOTRE CAISSE

1945 - Fondation de la Caisse populaire de Saint-Roch-des-Aulnets, Premier gérant: M. Jean-Charles Pelletier

1946 - 80 sociétaires; 13 956,28$ en épargne

1948 - Achat de la . . . — Map (db m124282) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — Hôtel-de-Ville-de-Rivière-du-Loup / Rivière-du-Loup Town Hall

Rivière-du-Loup est l'une des nombreuses collectivités canadiennes qui se donnèrent, après 1900, des hôtels de ville imposants. Ceux-ci abritaient les services de plus en plus nombreux des gouvernements locaux et constituaient un . . . — Map (db m124289) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — John McLoughlin1784 - 1857

Originaire de Rivière-du-Loup, McLoughlin fut d'abord médecin avant de se joindre à la Compagnie du Nord-Ouest en 1806. En 1814, il devint partenaire hivernant et, en 1820, il dirigea un groupe de dissidents qui désiraient s'unir à la . . . — Map (db m124288) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Kobenhavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hans Christian Ørsted
Hans Christian Örsted boede her som professor ved universitete fra October 1824, til sin dödsdag den 9 marts 1851.

-

English translation:

Hans Christian Ørsted lived here as a professor at the . . . — Map (db m125317) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Copenhagen Business School
Copenhagen Business School (CBS) tidligere Handelshøjskolen, blev etableret i 1917 på initiativ af Danish Society for Education and Business, tidligere FUHU Foreningen til Unge Handelsmænds Uddannelse CBS' aktiviteter . . . — Map (db m125268) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Dagbladet Politiken / The Politiken Newspaper
I dette hus grundlagde Viggo Hørup, Herman Bing, og Edvard Brandes dagbladet Politiken 1. Oktober 1884 Her lå redaktionen indtil 1912

Opsat på 100-årsdagen i 1984

-

(English . . . — Map (db m125294) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Georg Brandes
. . . — Map (db m125315) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Han Christian Lumbye
Her fødtes Komponisten H.C. Lumbye 2 Maj 1810

-

(English translation:)

The composer H.C. Lumbye was born here on May 2, 1810. — Map (db m124420) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hans Christian Ørsted
I et hus på dette sted opdagede fisikeren Hans Christian Ørsted elektromagnetismen i året 1820

-

(English translation:)

In a house on this site the physicist Hans Christian Ørsted discovered . . . — Map (db m124252) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Harald Høffding
Her laa indtil 1938 Den Høffdingske Gaard

Her fødtes Filosoffen Harald Høffding 11 Marts 1843

-

Until 1938, the Høffding courtyard was located here.

The philosopher Harald Høffding was born here on . . . — Map (db m125151) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Mindeankeret / The Memorial Anchor
Dette anker er rejst til minde om de mere end 2300 Danske søfolk som mistede livet under Anden Verdenskrig - 1939-1945.

This anchor is placed in honour of more than 2300 Danish sailors who lost their lives during World . . . — Map (db m124296) WM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Museumshuset / Museum Building
Bygningen blev opfort i 1871 med Christian Hansen (1803-83) som arkitekt. Formålet var helt frem til 1965 at huse universitetets zoologiske museum. Derefter blev den i nogle år anvendt til undervisning. Bygningen blev restaureret i . . . — Map (db m125270) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Norske Selskab / The Norwegian Society
I dette hus havde Norske Selskab sine lokaler 1774-1813

Opsat 1992 af Norske Selskab i Oslo i anledning af 250-året for Johan Herman Wessel's fødsel 1742

-

(English translation:)

The . . . — Map (db m125149) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Emy Roeder
Geburtshaus der Bildhauerin Emy Roeder * 1890 in Würzburg † 1971 in Mainz

-

(English translation:)

(This is the) place of birth of the sculptor Emy Roeder, born 1890 in Wuerzburg, . . . — Map (db m124306) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Hermann Müller-Thurgau
In diesem Gebäude, dem ehemaligen Botanischen Institut der Universität, wirkte von 1872 bis 1876 der Botaniker und spätere Weinbauforscher Prof. Dr. Hermann Müller-Thurgau, der 1882 die später nach ihm benannte Rebsorte . . . — Map (db m124427) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Historicher Gedenkpunkt / A Place for Historical Contemplation
The marker is made up of two separate pieces: a sculpture, with inscription, and an interpretive panel for the sculpture.

(Sculpture text:)

Ab 1147   Jüdischer Friedhof 1576-80   Bau des Juliusspitals durch Julius Echter . . . — Map (db m124434) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Richard Wagner
. . . — Map (db m125297) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Würzburg Jewish Deportation Memorial
In der Schrannenhalle an dieser Strasse wurde am 27. November 1941 die erste Deportation Würzburger u. Fränkischer Juden in die Vernichtungslager zusammengestellt

Ihnen und allen Opfern des . . . — Map (db m125273) HM WM

Germany, Schleswig-Holstein (Kreis Schleswig-Flensburg), Dannewerk — Bastion 14 and the 1864 WarHaithabu und Danewerk
Schanze 14 Und Der Krieg Von 1864

Diese rekonstruierte Wehranlage ist ein Überrest aus dem Deutsch-Dänischen Krieg von 1864. Erneut kam es zu einem Krieg um die nationale Zugehörigkeit des Herzogtums Schleswig. Die Dänen bauten . . . — Map (db m125089) HM

Germany, Schleswig-Holstein (Kreis Schleswig-Flensburg), Dannewerk — The "Kovirke" - New Defences for Hedeby?Haithabu und Danewerk
English text:

What is the Danevirke? Over 1000 years ago in the Viking Age, Danes, Frisians, Saxons and Slavs came into contact in this border region between Scandinavia and Central Europe. Danish kings began to fortify the . . . — Map (db m125114) HM

Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Antonio López de Santa Anna
En esta casa murió el general Dn. Antonio Lopez de Sta. Anna, 21 de Junio de 1876 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos. English translation: In this house died General . . . — Map (db m125288) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Café de Tacuba
Café de Tacuba. Este es uno de los restaurantes más antiguos de México. Fue fundadao en 1912 por Dionisio Mollinedo. Ciudad de México English translation: Café de Tacuba. This is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m125292) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Café La Concordia
Aquí estuvo el Café “La Concordia” de Aldo Omarini. Siglo XIX. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the La Concordia Café of Aldo . . . — Map (db m125061) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Calle de Motolinia
Este antiguo callejón era una calle de agua. Aquí atracaban las chalupas y barcazas para no interrumpir el tránsito de la Calle de las Canoas. Ciudad de México English translation: This ancient alleyway . . . — Map (db m125295) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Calle Guatemuz
1521. – 1952. Calle Guatemuz Nombre que tuvo este calle a principios de la dominación española English translation: 1521. – 1952. Guatemuz Street This street was known by this name at the beginning . . . — Map (db m125266) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Convent of Santa Brigída
Aquí estuvo el hoy olvidado convento de Santa Brígida, en el que fueron encarcelados los generales mexicanos leales a Maximiliano. Desapareció en 1933. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was . . . — Map (db m125116) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Dulcería de Celaya
Dulcería de Celaya. La marquesina de esta tienda, fundada en 1874, es la más antigua que existe en la ciudad. Ciudad de México English translation: Dulcería de Celaya. (The Celaya Candy . . . — Map (db m125107) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Gran Café La Concordia
Aquí estuvo el Gran Café La Concordia, donde en el año de 1868 compartían mesa Ignacio Ramírez y Manuel Payno. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was the Gran Café La Concordia, where in . . . — Map (db m125076) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Monitor Republicano
En esta esquina estuvieron las oficinas de El Monitor Republicano (1844-1896), fundado por Vicente García Torres. Ciudad de México English translation: On this corner were the offices of El Monitor . . . — Map (db m125112) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Palacio Postal
Palacio Postal. En este sitio estuvo el Hospital Real de Terceros, demolido para construir el Palacio Postal o Quinta Casa de Correos in 1902, siendo una obra arquitectónica ejemplar con estructura de hierro. Alberga el Museo Postal y . . . — Map (db m125130) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Filomeno Mata
En este lugar estuvo la imprenta El Diario del Hogar perioidico de Don Filomeno Mata en el que combatio la dictadura y sostuvo el principio de no reelecion 1881 – 1911 English translation: In this . . . — Map (db m125230) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Gante Building
Edificio Gante El proyecto es del arquitecto italiano Silvio Contri y del ingeniero Carlos Burgatta. La construcción fue encomendada al ingeniero Miguel Rebolledo en 1922. Edificio eclectico alejado ya de las tendencias . . . — Map (db m125256) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Garden of the Triple Alliance
Jardin de la Triple Alianza La confederacion militar creada entres los pueblos prehispanicos de Tenochtitlan, Texcoco y Tlacopan (Tacuba) permitio desde 1427 alcanzar un notable desarrollo basado en sus vinculos militares politicos y . . . — Map (db m125263) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — High Water Mark of 1629
Este viejo mascarón indica el nivel alcanzado por las aguas durante la peor inundación que ha sufrido la ciudad, la de 1629. Ciudad de México English translation: This old stone figure of a face indicates . . . — Map (db m125293) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Hospital de los Terceros Franciscanos
Aquí estuvo el hospital de Terceros Franciscanos terminado en 1756. Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos. English translation: Here was the Hospital of the Franciscan . . . — Map (db m125126) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of José de Borda
Casa de Jose de Borda Construccion de estilo barroco sobrio del siglo XVIII, para el acaudalado minero Jose de Borda, quien costeo la Iglesia de Santa Prisca in Taxco, Guerrero. La construcción se inició en 1775 y se suspendió en . . . — Map (db m124542) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of the Marquis de Prado Alegre
Esta fue la casa del Marqués de Prado Alegre edificada hacia el primer tercio del siglo XVIII. 1725. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: This was the house of . . . — Map (db m125060) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — La Droguería Plateros
Aquí estuvo la Droguería Plateros, donde se realizó la primera demostración pública del cinematógrafo. 1896. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was the Plateros Drugstore, where the first . . . — Map (db m125077) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Mariano Galván
En esta casa murió Don Mariano Galvan. editor del popular calendario de su nombre 28 de abril de 1876. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this house died . . . — Map (db m125296) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Museum of the Heroic Military College
Museo del Heroico Colegio Militar. Capilla del Convento de Betlemitas; en el siglo XIX albergó al Colegio Militar y posteriormente a la Biblioteca Popular de la Compañía Lancasteriana. En su atrio estuvo el edificio sede del periódico . . . — Map (db m125220) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Offices of the Diario del Hogar
Adosado al muro de esta iglesia de Betlemitas, estuvieron las oficinas del periódico Diario del Hogar, fundado por Filomeno Mata en 1881. Ciudad de México English translation: Attached to the wall . . . — Map (db m125223) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Salón Peter Gay
En esta esquina estuvo el Salón Peter Gay, famosa cantina-bar a la que acudían políticos, militares y periodistas a principios del siglo XX. Ciudad de México English translation: On this corner was . . . — Map (db m125105) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Statue of Carlos IV of Spain
Estatua de Carlos IV de España El Virey Don Miguel de la Grua Talamanca Marques de Branciforte que gobernó la Nueva España desde 1794 hasta 1798 mandó hacer esta estatua de Carlos IC de Borbon Rey de España é Yndias la cual fue . . . — Map (db m125182) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Teatro Santa Anna
Esta calle estaba cerrada por el Teatro Santa Anna después Nacional. 1843-1892. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: This street was closed off by the Santa Anna . . . — Map (db m125108) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Church of San Andrés
En esta calle estuvo la Iglesia de Sn Andres en donde fue embalsamado el cadáver de Maximiliano de Hapsburgo. 1867 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos. English . . . — Map (db m125218) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The House of Hernán Martín
Aquí estuvo la casa del del conquistador Hernan Martin 1527 Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the house of the conquistador Hernán Martín 1527 . . . — Map (db m125148) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Jockey Club
En el año de 1881, el Jockey Club abrió aquí sus puertas, centro de reunión de los porfirianos eminentes. Ciudad de México English translation: In the year 1881, the Jockey Club opened its doors . . . — Map (db m125117) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Palace of Mines
Palacio de Minería. Obra del escultor y arquitecto Manuel Tolsá como sede del Real Seminario de Minería; fue Colegio de Minería, Escuela de Minas y finalmente Escuela Nacional de Ingenieros, desde el siglo XIX hasta su traslado a la Ciudad . . . — Map (db m125215) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Temple of San Francisco
Templo de San Francisco Templo principal del que fuera el primer y mayor convento franciscano de la Ciudad de Mexico. Fue patrocinado por Hernan Cortes en 1524. Llego a ocupar 32,490 metros cuadrados. El convent fue desmembrado y . . . — Map (db m125119) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Dolores Hidalgo — José Alfredo Jiménez MausoleumRuta Corazón de Guanajuato
Mausoleo a José Alfredo Jiménez Este monumento alberga la tumba del más famoso de los musicos vernáculos mexicanos: José Alfredo Jiménez, quien nació aquí en Dolores Hidalgo un 19 de enero de 1926. Autor de canciones como . . . — Map (db m124384) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Dolores Hidalgo — Virginia Soto RodríguezFirst Woman Municipal President of Mexico
Srta. Virginia Soto Rodriguez Nacio en esta Ciudad de Dolores Hidalgo Cuna de Independencia Nacional, el 15 de octubre de 1924 en la casa, en ese entonces número 27 de la Calle de Don Juan Manuel (hoy Calle Chiapas). Fueron sus padres . . . — Map (db m124571) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — El Puente de Nava
Puente de Nava Reedificado en el año 1774 Ayuntamiento 1989-1991 English translation: The Nava Bridge Rebuilt in the year 1774 City Hall 1989-1991Map (db m124283) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Emma Godoy
En esta casa nació, el 25 de marzo de 1918, la ilustre escritora Emma Godoy poeta, ensayista, dramaturga y defensora de la dignificación de la vejez. En el centenario de su nacimiento Marzo de 2018 English . . . — Map (db m124285) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Guanajuato Flooding of 1873
Nivel marcado por la inundación Agosto 20, 1875 English translation: This was the level of the flooding of August 20, 1873 — Map (db m124326) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — 11 of 19 — Plaza del BaratilloUn Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Plaza del Baratillo Si ya está frente a la fuente de la plaza del Baratillo, adelante, tómese la foto. Está en uno de los íconos favoritos de la ciudad de Guanajuato. La fuente de estilo florentino rodeada diariamente de vendedoras . . . — Map (db m124328) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Ponciano Aguilar
El H. Ayuntamiento 1942-43 y el Club Rotario de Guanajuato en memoria del insigne guanajuatense Ing. Don Ponciano Aguilar cuyas obras perduran como testigos de una vida ejemplar English translation: The Honorable . . . — Map (db m124373) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Puente de San Juan Nepomuceno
Puente de San Juan Nepomuceno o Puente del Rastro, construido en 1773 Ayuntamiento 1989-91 English translation: The San Juan Nepomuceno Bridge, also known as the Stockyard Bridge, constructed in . . . — Map (db m124344) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — Temple of the Company of JesusUn Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Templo de la Compañía Se dice que los mineros trabajaron día y noche para construirlo. El templo de la Compañía de Jesús fue una de las mayores obres jesuíticas de la Nueva España. Los jesuitas instalaron aquí su hospicio en 1732, el . . . — Map (db m124353) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — 7 of 19 — The Basilica of GuanajuatoUn Museo Llamado Guanajuato / A Museum Called Guanajuato
Basílica de Guanajuato Se le denominó Parroquia de Guanajuato hasta el año de 1957, en que se le elevó a la categoría de Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Guanajuato. Su construcción se inició en el año de 1671 y se concluyó en 1696, . . . — Map (db m124377) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Fountain of the Plaza del Baratillo
La Fuente que adorna esta plaza fue inaugurada en la Plaza Mayor el 2 de Junio de 1852, y por ella brotó por primera vez agua entubada venida de la Presa de la Olla y para el servicio de la población. El 21 de enero de 1886 se quitó de la . . . — Map (db m124345) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Route of HidalgoLa Ruta de Hidalgo
El Gobernador del Estado de Guanajuato Juan Manuel Oliva Ramírez y el H. Ayuntamiento de Guanajuato en el marco de los Festejos del Bicentenario Restauran la Estela de la Libertad que simboliza la Ruta de la Independencia . . . — Map (db m124266) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Guanajuato) — The Temple of San Roque
San Roque Templo construido en 1726 por el sacerdote Don Juan José de Sopeña y Cervera donde funcionó desde el 13-X-1746 hasta el 13-III-1794 una Santa Escuela de Cristo, creada por el religioso Luis Felipe Neri de Alfaro . . . — Map (db m124378) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — The Sanctuary of the Queen of Mexico
Este santuario de la Reina de Mexico, cabe el Monumento Nacional de Cristo Rey, fue idea del VI Prelado de Leon Dr. D. Emeterio Valverde Tellez. Fue abierto al culto, dedicado y consagrado el altar el 8 de diciembre de 1953 al iniciar . . . — Map (db m124340) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Benito Juárez
Mi única aspiración es servir a los intereses del pueblo y respetar su verdadera voluntad Benito Juarez Huichapan Hgo. Marzo del 2001 English translation: “My only aspiration is to serve the . . . — Map (db m124613) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — El ChapitelHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
El Chapitel “Los religiosos y los párrocos clérigos hicieron fabricar en los pueblos grandes, y adonde los vecinos de un distrito o provincia se reunían cierto día de la semana en los mercados que llamaban 'tianguis', que . . . — Map (db m124625) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — First Celebration of the Mexican Independence Proclamation
En este lugar se conmemoro por vez primera en el país el Grito de Independencia el 16 de septiembre de 1812 por el Lic. y Gral. Ignacio Lopez Rayon y el Lic. Andres Quintana Roo Huichapan., Hgo. 22 de diciembre de 1972 . . . — Map (db m124716) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Franciscan Ex-ConventHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
Ex Convento Francisco Se desconoce la fecha exacta en la que se fundó el convento durante el siglo XVI, pero ya es mencionada en la Relación de Fray Alonso de Ponce de 1585. Como todos los conventos de le época, la construcción . . . — Map (db m125164) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Julián Villagrán
Al héroe y mártir Insurgente General Julian Villagran - Homenaje - Que se le tributa en la Celebration del 1r Centenario de la Independencia Nació en esta ciudad el 10 de enero de 1755. Cuando se le ofreció indultar a su hijo José . . . — Map (db m124722) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Julián Villagrán and José María Villagrán
A la memoria de los héroes insurgentes Gral. Julian Villagran y Jose Maria Villagran (padre e hijo) sacrificados en esta su tierra natal en 1813 y cuyas cabezas se expusieron en este parque. Año de la Constitucion y del . . . — Map (db m124515) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Pedro María Anaya
A la memoria del Gral. Pedro Maria Anaya Heroe de Churubusco 20 de agosto de 1847 Huichapan Hgo. Agosto 1978 English translation: To the memory of General Pedro María Anaya Hero of Churubusco . . . — Map (db m124724) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Miguel Hidalgo
Hidalgo · 1810 — Map (db m125165) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Monolithic Cross of the AtriumHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
Cruz Atrial Monolítica La Cruz Atrial de Huichapan, del siglo XVI, es similar a las ubicadas en Atzacoalco, México, y la Villa de Guadalupe, y fue labrada en un solo bloque de piedra. Al pie de la cruz se observa el cáliz y la . . . — Map (db m125101) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Parroquia de San Mateo ApóstolHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
Parroquia de San Mateo Apóstol Esta iglesia, cuya obra se inició en 1758 y se terminó en 1763 bajo la dirección del maestro de obras don Antonio Simón, se construyó a petición del Benefactor Don Manuel González Ponce de León, quien en . . . — Map (db m124316) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Plaza of the Independence Martyrs
Plazuela de los Martires de la Independencia El 5 de mayo de 1813 las Fuerzas Realistas al mando del Gral. Pedro Monsalves fusilaron en este lugar tras de diezmarlos y quintarlos a 43 patriotas huichapeños que con vizarria defendieron . . . — Map (db m124720) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — The Arches of Saucillo
“Los Arcos” Hecho en 1738 Siglo XVIII 15 Arcos, 155 m. de largo y 44 m. de altura. MTB English translation: The Arches of Saucillo Constructed in 1738 (18th century), there are 15 arches in total. . . . — Map (db m125167) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — The Chapel of the Third OrderHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
Capilla de la Tercera Orden La Tercera Orden, ideada por San Francisco de Asís, fue fundada en 1221 con el nombre de Hermanos y Hermanas de Penitencia como un tip de estado intermedio entre el claustro y el mundo. A ella podían . . . — Map (db m125160) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — The Chapel of the Virgin of Guadalupe
Capilla de la Virgen de Guadalupe Como parte del proceso de evangelización en la Nueva España, se trasladó el orden arquitectónico prehispánico consistente en una forma que la iglesia tomó el lugar de la pirámide y el atrio el de la . . . — Map (db m125162) HM
Turkey, Çanakkale (Çanakkale Merkez), Tevfikiye — 5a — Citadel Wall
English Text: View of the outside of the Troia II/III Citadel Wall, ca 2500-2200 BCE. (Schliemann's 'Burnt City'). This reconstruction built with hand made and fired mudbrick preserves the original mudbrick material, which is . . . — Map (db m123278) HM
Turkey, Çanakkale (Çanakkale Merkez), Tevfikiye — 4 — The Temple of Athena
English Text: Where you are now standing there once lay the forecourt of the temple of Athena belonging to the Greek and Roman city Ilion. Looking down you can see in the center of the mound a wide area at a lower level. This was . . . — Map (db m123252) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — A Saxon House
City of Leicester A Saxon House of around 600 AD, the first found in Leicester, was situated on this site — Map (db m125142) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Agnes Archer Evans
City of Leicester Agnes Archer Evans (nee Kilgour) 1851-1924 Pioneering teacher of girls education, along with Anna Chrysogon Beale, at Belmont House School 1882-1893 Founding member & treasurer of the Leicester and Leicestershire . . . — Map (db m125123) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Alderman Newton’s School
. . . — Map (db m125124) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Chantry House and Skeffington House
The Wigston Family and Leicester Chantry House and Skeffington House Two Tudor houses in the heart of modern Leicester William Wigston’s Chantry House was added to the Newarke precinct around 1511. William Wigston was a wealthy Leicester wool . . . — Map (db m125066) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Church of St. John the Baptist
Church of St. John the Baptist An early example of Georgian Gothic, the present building, completed in 1776, replaced an earlier parish church. Originally built with a broach spire 156 ft. high, this was destroyed in 1850 by lightning ot long after . . . — Map (db m125145) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Church of the Annunciation
Richard III’s Medieval Leicester Church of the Annunciation The Hawthorn Building of De Montfort University was built on the site of the former Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church and the Richard III Story . . . — Map (db m125067) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Church of the Greyfriars
. . . — Map (db m125125) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Great Glen War Memorial
To the Glory of God And in Honored Memory of The Men of this Parish Who Fell in the Great War 1914 – 1918 2nd Lieut. W.S. Allen   2/5th Notts and Derbys · Sergt. D. Warner   1/4th Northamptons · Lc/Cpl. S. Easom   9th Leicesters · . . . — Map (db m125147) WM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Guildhall
Richard III’s Medieval Leicester Guildhall The Guildhall and the Richard III Story The Guildhall dates back to medieval times and would have been a building of importance during the time of Richard III. The Great Hall, built in 1390, was a . . . — Map (db m125128) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Jain Centre — Castle Park
19th century congregational chapel was converted during the 1980’s to a centre for devotees of Jainism, an ancient religion that teaches love to all living creatures. The building contains important examples of traditional Indian architecture . . . — Map (db m125073) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Jain Centre
Changing Pasts Jain Centre Chapel to Temple What we know today Samuel Leicester’s Jain Centre started life in 1863 as a Congregational Chapel (an Independent church). This area around Oxford Street was developed from the mid-19th Century and, . . . — Map (db m125074) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Leicester Automaton Clock
The Leicester Automaton Clock This is a reconstruction based on remains at All Saints' Church, Highcross Street, Leicester, supplemented by documentary evidence. The original carved wood quarter-jacks disappeared many years ago, but traditionally . . . — Map (db m125129) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Medieval Streets
Medieval Leicester Medieval Streets The Medieval origins of a modern city Medieval Leicester lay within the old Roman walls. The town walls followed the lines of what are now Soar Lane, Sanvey Gate, Church Gate, Gallowtree Gate, Horsefair . . . — Map (db m125075) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Municipal Technical & Art Schools
Municipal Technical & Art Schools This Stone was Laid on the 30th Day of March 1896 by Alderman Sir Thomas Wright Knt JP Chairman of the Committee Alderman Edward Wood JP Mayor — Map (db m125042) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Newarke Gateway
Richard III’s Medieval Leicester Newarke Gateway The Newarke Gateway and the Richard III Story After his defeat at the Battle of Bosworth, King Richard III’s corpse was brought back to Leicester and put on public display in the Newarke . . . — Map (db m125065) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Portland and Hawthorn Buildings
A Manufacturing Town Portland and Hawthorn Buildings Creating a skilled workforce for Leicester The original purpose of the Hawthorn Building is shown on its entrance doors opposite Trinity House. The four panels by Percy Brown depicting art . . . — Map (db m125069) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Restoration of Leicester Guildhall
This Plaque was Unveiled by HRH The Duke of Gloucester GCVO on 24th May 1994 To Mark the Completion of the Restoration Of Leicester Guildhall — Map (db m125137) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Collegiate Church
The Collegiate Church Upon this site stood the important and beautiful Collegiate Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, which was founded in 1355-6 by Henry, First Duke of Lancaster and Fourth Lancastrian Earl of Leicester. When he enlarged his . . . — Map (db m125046) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Globe
A Leicester Landmark Since The Early 18th Century, The Globe Has Been Owned By The Everard Family From Victorian Times To The Present Day. The Pub Was Previously A Market House And Was Used At The Hiring Fairs By Farmers To Recruit . . . — Map (db m125127) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Magazine
This building, which dates from the 14th century, served as the main gateway to the Newarke. During the Civil War it was used as a magazine (or secure armaments store) hence its present name. as a regimental museum it continues to have military . . . — Map (db m125041) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The South Gate
City of Leicester The South Gate of the Roman and Medieval walled town was situated close to this spot. — Map (db m125140) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Whipping Toms
The Whipping Toms On this spot stood the Whipping Toms, who, on Shrove Tuesday, in accordance with the ancient custom, armed themselves with wagon whips and flogged anyone who entered the precincts of the Newarke. The sport was abolished by Act . . . — Map (db m125044) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — This Stone
This Stone was Laid on the 17th of June 1927 by Her Grace The Duchess of Atholl D.B.E. LL.D. MP. Parliamentary Secretary to the Board of Education Councillor Walter Oram Chairman of Committee Ald. Sir Jonathan North J.P. . . . — Map (db m125070) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Thomas Cook
Thomas Cook 1808 — 1892 ( side ) This Statue was Commissioned By Leicester City Council With Assistance From British Railways Community Unit And Thomas Cook (International) Ltd Near to This Site In Leicester’s . . . — Map (db m125143) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Upperton Road Viaduct
“When Men Yield Up The Privilege of Thinking, the Last Shadow of Liberty Quits the Horizon” Thomas Paine, 1737-1809 The Upperton Road Viaduct Redevelopment Scheme Was Opened by The Lead Member for Transportation . . . — Map (db m125071) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Visit of the Queen
. . . — Map (db m125139) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Visit of the Queen
. . . — Map (db m125141) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Weather Vane
The weather vane which surmounts the roof was restored during refurbisment works in 1993. A donation of £575 towards the cost was made by The Gild of Freeman of The City of Leicester. — Map (db m125138) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Boer War Memorial
Remember Those Loyal and Gallant Soldiers and Sailors of this County of York Who Fell Fighting for Their Country’s Honour in South Africa 1899 to 1902 and Whose Names Are Inscribed on this Cross Erected by Their Fellow Yorkshiremen. A.D. 1905 — Map (db m125210) WM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Castlegate House
Castlegate House Designed by John Carr, Architect of York (1723 – 1807) for Peter Johnson, Recorder of York, and completed in 1763. — Map (db m125306) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Clifford’s Tower — York Castle
Clifford’s Tower The original motte and bailey castle on this site was erected by William the Conqueror. The present tower usually described as "the Great Tower", was built between 1245 and 1262 by order of King Henry III. It was encircled by a . . . — Map (db m125304) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Constantine the Great
Constantine the Great 274 – 337 Near this place Constantine was proclaimed Roman Emperor in 306. His recognition of the civil liberties of his Christian subjects, and his own conversion to the Faith, established the religious foundations of . . . — Map (db m125244) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Courthouse Memorial Stone
. . . — Map (db m125255) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Cumberland House
Cumberland House Erected in the early eighteenth century by Alderman William Cornwell, one time sheriff and twice Lord Mayor of York. It appears to have been given its name in honour of the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II, who . . . — Map (db m125311) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Davygate
Davygate A thoroughfare for over 800 years and named after David, the King’s Lardiner in the reign of King Stephen (1135) whose great grandfather had come over with William the Conqueror. He had control over nearby Forest of Galtres and supplied . . . — Map (db m125246) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Dringhouses School
Dringhouses School c.1850-1904 Village Reading Room 1904-1942 Wilkinson Memorial Library 1942-present Given after the death of Colonel Wilkinson, last Lord of Dringhouses Manor, to be used only as a public library or for Council-decreed public . . . — Map (db m125206) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Dringhouses War Memorial
In Proud and Loving Memory of the Men of Dringhouses Who Laid Down Their Lives for God And Country in the Great War 1914 — 1918 A. Bishop · H.S. Brown · R.M. Bustard · T.W. Carlton · H. Clark · T. Clark · J.F. Clarkson · C. Cruse · . . . — Map (db m125203) WM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Fairfax House
. . . — Map (db m125305) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Frankie Howerd
Frankie Howerd O.B.E. 1917 – 1992 Son of York Comic Heritage — Map (db m125310) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Guy Fawkes
Guy Fawkes Inn, 25 High Petergate, York Guy Fawkes Gunpowder Plot Conspirator Born here 1570 Hung, drawn & quartered in City of London 31st January 1606 — Map (db m125240) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — John Snow
John Snow (1813 – 1858) Pioneer of Public Health And Anaesthesia Proved that Cholera is water-borne by removing a pump handle Born and lived in North Street until aged 14 — Map (db m125208) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — John Snow Memorial
Dr John Snow (1813-1858) was a Victorian physician, a pioneer in the fields of anaesthesia and epidemiology, famed for his tracing of the source of a cholera outbreak in London's Soho and confirming that it is a waterborne disease. John Snow . . . — Map (db m125207) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Minster Gates
Minster Gates Here stood one of the entrance gates into the Minster Liberty, for foot traffic only. There have been posts here for probably 600 years. The approach was at one time called Bookland Lane and, after the coming of printing, Bookbinders . . . — Map (db m125241) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — P/O Yves Mahé
P/O Yves Mahé 1919 – 1962 Free French fighter pilot, 235 Squadron Royal Air Force, who helped save York From Luftwaffe bombers on the Morning of 29th April 1942 — Map (db m125251) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Pinfold
This Pinfold, or Pound, was originally an enclosure in which straying cattle were confined pending the payment of a fine. These structures were principally in use in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries and were generally situated on roadsides and . . . — Map (db m125204) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Praetorian Gate
Praetorian Gate Near here stood the principal entrance into the City in the days of the Romans. Original date uncertain but probably rebuilt circa 300AD. — Map (db m125248) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — Roman Column
Roman Column This Roman column once stood within the great hall of the headquarters building of the fortress of the Sixth Legion (whose emblem was a bull) in the fourth century A.D. it was found in 1969 during the excavation of the south transept . . . — Map (db m125242) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — St George’s Hall Cinema
St George’s Hall Cinema The façade of the cinema which was opened in 1921 and closed in 1965. It is a rare example of cinema architecture of the 1920s. — Map (db m125307) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — St Martin-le-Grand
St Martin-le-Grand   A mainly 15th century church, pre Conquest in origin, largely destroyed by fire in the air raid in 1942. The tower was completed before 1437. The Great West Window, considered to be one of the finest early 15th century windows . . . — Map (db m125253) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — St. Michael-Le-Belfrey
St. Michael-Le-Belfrey The only pre-Reformation church in York to have been built all at one time (1525 – 1536) by John Forman, Master Mason to the Minster. Guy Fawkes was baptized here on 16th April 1570. — Map (db m125211) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — The George Inn
The George Inn In Elizabethan times Ralph Rokeby Esq. (d.1575) Secretary of the Council of the North lived in a house on this site. Subsequently for about two and a half centuries there existed here a Hostelry known since 1614 as the George Inn, . . . — Map (db m125254) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — The Mansion House
The Mansion House The residence of the Lord Mayor during his year of office. It was built in 1725 – 30 — Map (db m125250) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — This Bridge
City of York This Bridge was declared free from toll on the 7th day of August 1894 Thos Clayton Lord Mayor W.W. Hargroop Sheriff C A Milward   Chairman of Estates & Bridges Committee A. Greer   City Engineer G McGuire   Town . . . — Map (db m125209) HM
United Kingdom, England (North Yorkshire), York — This Memorial Stone
This Memorial Stone was laid by HRH The Prince of Wales KC With Mason’s Honors On the 18th Day of July 1880 Arthur P Purey, Cust DD Dean of York President — Map (db m125309) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Archaeology, the Castle Ditch
Oxford Preservation Trust Archaeology, the Castle Ditch and its skeletons In 2003 excavations uncovered the Castle Ditch part of the defences of the Norman Castle. 64 human skeletons were found buried here, many dating from the late . . . — Map (db m124273) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Baptists of Oxford
Near this place the Baptists of Oxford worshipped from 1661 to 1715 in the house of Richard Tidmarsh (minister 1661 – 1691). Baptisms took place in the stream below. The meeting-house was destroyed by rioters in 1715. Erected by members . . . — Map (db m124319) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Beaumont Palace
Near to this Spot Stood the King’s Houses Later Known as Beaumont Palace King Richard I Was Born Here in 1157 And King John in 1167 — Map (db m124426) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Christ Church
Christ Church Oxford’s Unique Foundation of College and Cathedral The collegiate University of Oxford contains within it almost 40 independent educational institutions, or colleges. Christ Church is the largest. It is also, uniquely, the . . . — Map (db m124409) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — George Claridge Druce
George Claridge Druce FRS 1850 - 1932 Botanist Pharmacist Mayor and Alderman lived here at his shop 1879 - 1905 — Map (db m124417) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Great Jewry
This Street Known Till 1300 As Great Jewry Contained Many Houses of the Jews Including the Synagogue Which Lay to the North Of Tom Tower 1931 — Map (db m124415) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — New Road
New Road was new in 1770, built by a turnpike trust as a western exit from the city centre. It sliced through the former Oxford Castle bailey (the open space within the castle walls), providing an ideal site for what became the city's principal . . . — Map (db m124318) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Old County Hall
Oxford Preservation Trust Old County Hall (1841) This castellated building housed two courts, one civil, one criminal. Today, the building forms part of the Oxfordshire County Council offices in County Hall and one of the courts still . . . — Map (db m124521) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxford Castle
Oxford Castle dates from 1071 and stamped the authority of England's new Norman rulers on the town. It changed the layout of this area but incorporated an earlier watch-tower (c.1020) which became the tower of St George's Church. The castle . . . — Map (db m124308) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxford Martyr’s Memorial
To the Glory of God And in Grateful Commemoration of His Servants Thomas Cranmer Nicholas Ridley Hugh Latimer Prelates of the Church of England Who Near This Spot Yielded Their Bodies To Be Burned Bearing Witness to the . . . — Map (db m124255) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxford War Memorial
In Memory of Those Who Fought and Those Who Fell 1914 - 1918 ( inscribed on the steps ) For Those Who Fought 1914 - 1918 And Those Who Fell and 1939 – 1945 And All Others Who Have Given Their Lives In the . . . — Map (db m124354) WM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxfordshire Boer War Memorial
This Monument was Erected by the Officers Non Commissioned Officers and Men of the Second Battalion Oxfordshire Light Infantry in Memory of Their Comrades Who Died Between the 15‐ of August 1897 and the 4‐ of November 1898 Killed . . . — Map (db m124270) WM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Oxfordshire County Council
Welcome to Oxfordshire County Council The modern building in front of you is County Hall, headquarters of Oxfordshire County Council. It was opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 1976. The County Council is responsible for key public services in . . . — Map (db m124271) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Park End Street
You are standing on Pacey's Bridge which crosses two branches of the Castle Mill Stream, itself a branch of the River Thames. The original bridge was constructed in 1770 when Park End Street and New Road were built as a turnpike road to provide a . . . — Map (db m124320) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Prison D Wing
Oxford Preservation Trust Prison D Wing (1790) William Blackburn designed D Wing, the Debtors' Tower and C Wing. When the prison expanded St. George's Chapel was demolished, though the ancient Crypt remains. Oxford Castle Unlocked . . . — Map (db m124277) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Prison Debtors’ Tower
Oxford Preservation Trust Prison Debtors’ Tower (1790) This Tower was built to imprison debtors who owed money. A rare triangular stone staircase leads to four floors divided into cells, some with fireplaces. Prisoners remained in prison . . . — Map (db m124276) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Prison Governor’s House
. . . — Map (db m124272) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Radcliffe Square
Radcliffe Square, the historic heart of Oxford University has been called the finest square in Europe (Pevsner). It was created by the university authorities in the 1730s by demolishing the medieval houses to make a 'university forum'. It is . . . — Map (db m124256) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Reredos Memorial
The Reredos is Dedicated to God With Praise and Thanksgiving In Memory of All S. Aldgate’s Men Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War 1914-19 Robert Allsworth · Harold Bricknell · Charles H. Bull · Sidney F. Bull · Fred Butler . . . — Map (db m124412) WM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — St Giles’
The tree-lined avenue of St Giles' is named after the Norman St Giles’ Church in front of you. The area lies outside the original city wall and development began in the 12th century as Oxford's population grew. Some early properties were farms but . . . — Map (db m124254) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Crown
The Crown Inn was already nearly three centuries old when it acquired its name in 1625. The Crown was one of the first coaching houses in Oxford, which was a great coaching centre until the coming of the railway in 1835. The present building is . . . — Map (db m124355) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Early University
The building in front of you is the University Church of St Mary the Virgin. This was the hub of the University of Oxford from the end of the 12th century when organised teaching first began. Most of the church dates from the 15th century but the . . . — Map (db m124257) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The High Street
Oxford's curved High Street was praised by the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner as ‘one of the world's great streets' with its glorious mix of college buildings and medieval to 18th century houses. The building opposite you is an addition . . . — Map (db m124258) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Motte and Bailey
The Motte and Bailey Oxford Castle was built in 1071 by Robert d'Oilly who had accompanied William the Conqueror from Normandy to England in 1066. The Castie was surrounded by a moat from which material came to form both a high Mound or Motte and . . . — Map (db m124274) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Perimeter Wall
Oxford Preservation Trust The Perimeter Wall at Oxford Prison (1790) The wall is built close to a stream using large stones with a rubble inner core and smaller loose stones above, and later, razor wire. All this made escape underneath or . . . — Map (db m124275) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — This Stone
This Stone Was Laid on The Sixth Day of July 1895 Being the Wedding Day of HRH The Duke of York And HSH Prince Victoria Mary of Teck by Thomas Lucas Esquire   Mayor Thomas M. Taphouse Esquire   Sheriff John Paprell & Son   Builders . . . — Map (db m124416) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Vaulted Well Chamber
Oxford Preservation Trust Vaulted Well Chamber (13th century) The Chamber houses a 54 feet deep brick-faced well which drops to the water level below the Mound. This provided a supply of fresh water to the occupants of the Tower which once . . . — Map (db m124520) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Victoria Fountain
Victoria Fountain Inaugurated By HRH Princess Louise May 25 1899 Restored 2009 by Oxford City Council and Oxford Preservation Trust Supported by East Area Parliament, Magdalen College and CPRE Oxfordshire Buildings Preservation . . . — Map (db m124522) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — William Wilkinson
William Wilkinson 1819 – 1901 Architect of the Randolph Hotel and designer of North Oxford Victorian suburb lived and practised here 1860 - 1886 — Map (db m124424) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Sandford-on-Thames — Sandford Lock
Water power from the Thames Although the Romans introduced watermills to Britain they mainly relied on slave labour to grind grain by hand. As a result mills did not become numerous until Saxon times. By the time of Domesday there were more-than . . . — Map (db m124419) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 11 Priory Row
11 Priory Row Early 18th century town house with fine brick front and stone dressings in Roman Ionic style, rebuilt and restored after extensive bomb damage this house with nearby Nos 7 and 16 Little Park Street are the only surviving examples of . . . — Map (db m124733) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 22 & 23 Bayley Lane
22 & 23 Bayley Lane No 22 ‘The Cottage’ built about 1500 is the only remaining example of numerous medieval timber framed houses which stood in this area. Notable for its original carved and traceried woodwork. Chimneys were added in the 17 . . . — Map (db m124728) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 7 Priory Row
7 Priory Row Built circa 1800, this house with Nos 8-10 Priory Row are the best surviving examples of late 18th century town houses in Coventry John Gulson Mayor 1867 and 1868 a generous public benefactor lived here 1835-1904 — Map (db m124735) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 9 – 10 Priory Row
9-10 Priory Row Fine examples of early 19th century town houses. built over part of the site of the Cathedral Priory of St Mary founded 1043. Cellars under this house include parts of the priory ruins, approximately 4 metres (13ft) below the . . . — Map (db m124734) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Angela Brazil
Angela Brazil Children’s Writer Lived and Worked Here 1911 - 1947 — Map (db m124936) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Blue Coat School
Blue Coat School Opened as a charity school in 1714 rebuilt on the same site 1856-7 with Gothic architecture in the style of a French chateau. The two octagonal stone towers embody bases of towers of the ruined Monastic Church of St Mary dating . . . — Map (db m124905) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Cathedral Church of St Michael
The Cathedral Church of St Michael A house of worship, dedicated to the Archangel, St Michael, has stood on this site from the time of Henry I in the 12th Century. From its beginnings as a small Norman chapel, St Michael's progressively enlarged, . . . — Map (db m124653) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Choir of Survivors
Chor der Überlebenden Choir of Survivors Geschenk Der Stiftung Frauenkirche Dresden Zum 50-Jährigen Jubiläumder Weihe Der St. Michael’s-Kathedrale Von Coventry Am 25. Mai 2012 Donation of the Frauenkirche Foundation Dresden For the . . . — Map (db m124647) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Christchurch Spire
This Tower and Spire formed the centre of the Church of the Grey Friars built in 1350 with stone from a quarry nearby owned by the Black Prince. The Friary was demolished in 1512 but the spire was left standing in a garden until 1829 when . . . — Map (db m124934) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — County Hall
County Hall Built 1783-4 architect Samuel Eglinton. Used for the county court and quarter sessions. It is the only remaining 18th century public building of architectural distinction in Coventry. At one time it also housed the prison governor of . . . — Map (db m124732) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Coventry Cathedral
Coventry Cathedral – Living Icon of Reconciliation and Hope In 1940 this building, together with much of the city, was destroyed by fire bombs. Resolved to live out the Christian message of forgiveness, and running counter to the feelings of . . . — Map (db m124659) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dame Ellen Terry
Dame Ellen Terry Actress Born 27th Feb. 1847 in a house which stood nearby — Map (db m124642) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Donald Gibson CBE
‘He was ahead of his time. What he did astonished the world. Coventry desperately needed his inspiration’ Gibson, Sir Donald Evelyn Edward, C.B.E., D.C.L., M.A., P.P.R.I.B.A., D.I.S.T., T.P., M.T.P.I., T.P.I. Born 11th October 1908, Died . . . — Map (db m124560) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dresden Place
This plaque was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Dresden Herr Gerhard Schill in the presence of His Excellency the Ambassador of the German Democratic Republic Herr Karl-Heinz Kern and the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor G.W. . . . — Map (db m124933) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ecce Homo
Ecce Homo The ststue was carved by Sir Jacob Epstein during 1934 – 5 from a block of Subiaco marble. It was given to Coventry Cathedral at the wish of Lady Epstein and dedicated on 22 March 1969. Ecce Homo represents Christ before Pilate . . . — Map (db m124658) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ford’s Hospital
Ford’s Hospital Named after William Ford who’s will of 1509 endowed the almshouses. Built around a narrow court yard it is one of the most perfect examples of timber framed architecture in the country. Badly damaged by an air raid of November 1940 . . . — Map (db m124930) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Gift To The People Of Coventry
A gift to the people of Coventry From Catholic citizens Blessed by Vincent Eighth Archbishop of Birmingham 11 March 2001 — Map (db m124912) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Golden Cross Inn
The Golden Cross Inn Built circa 1583. Much restored, one of the most dramatic examples of medieval timber framed building to survive in Coventry with oversailing or ‘jettied’ upper floors on exposed timbers — Map (db m124731) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Grey Friars Gate
Bull Yard was formally a short street (Bull Street) leading to Barracks Square Market (now the Barracks car park), but on Samuel Bradford’s 1748-49) Coventry map it was part of a much longer path leading from Greyfriars gate to Smithford Street, . . . — Map (db m124937) HM

1050 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 850
Paid Advertisement