Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

4223 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 4023
 
Martyrs Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2018
Martyrs Marker
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Martyrs
Miltidk Marjani • Selim Myftari • Astrit Toto • Sadik Rusto • Niko Stefani DESHMOREVE QERANE KETU NEPERPJEKJE ME FORCAT NAZISTE ME 2.10.1943 English translation: This is a very rough translation based on only a few words . . . — Map (db m126783) HM WM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Roman Town PlanningPlanimetria e tipit romak — Periudha Romake/II Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: A . . . — Map (db m126943) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Sacred OriginsOrigjina e shenjtë — Periudha Helenistike/III Cent. BC/Hellenistic period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Butrint . . . — Map (db m126891) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Baptistery and its mosaic pavementsPagëzimorja dhe mozaikët e dyshemeve të saj
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126921) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Changing SettlementHistoria e vendbanimit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) bottom left, top) and English (bottom left, bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126888) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The channel-side city wallMuret e qytetit përgjatë Kanalit të Vivarit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126944) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Expansion of ButrintZgjerimi i Butrintit — Periudha Romake/II Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: By the . . . — Map (db m126918) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Great BasilicaBazilika e Madhe
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126949) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Lion GatePorta e Luanit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (bottom left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126951) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Roman ForumForumi romak — Periudha Romake/I Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126919) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Sanctuary of AsclepiusFaltorja e Asklepit — Periudha Helenistike/III Cent. BC/Hellenistic period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126913) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The TheatreTeatri
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (center left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126914) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Venetians at ButrintVenecianët në Butrint — Periudha Veneciane/XVI Cent. AD/Venetian Period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (bottom left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126884) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — Kalaja e OnhezmitThe Castle of Saranda
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: It's . . . — Map (db m126795) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — Nicolae Iorga
The texts on this marker are written in Romanian? (top), Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Romanian and Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. . . . — Map (db m126792) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — SinagogueBasilica Archeological Remains V-VI Century
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Sinagogue - . . . — Map (db m126803) HM
Australia, New South Wales (Council of the Sydney), The Rocks — Legacy
Captain Stanley Savige formed Legacy in 1923, as an offshoot of the Remembrance Club founded by Major General Sir John Gellibrand to help former servicemen struggling to re-establish themselves after World War I. The Legacy Club changed its . . . — Map (db m126551) HM
Austria, Land Salzburg, Salzburg — Mozarts GeburtshausMozart's Birthplace
Marker Text in German: Mozarts Geburtshaus Mozart - Museum In diesem haus wurde W. A. Mozart am 27. Jänner 1756 geboren Marker Text in English: Mozart's Birthplace Mozart Museum In this house, W. A. Mozart was . . . — Map (db m128670) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl
German: Der "neue" Hof war im 15. Jahrhundert die Residenz von Herzog Friedrich IV. "mit der leeren Tasche" und Sigmund "dem Münzreichen". Den mit 2657 feuervergoldeten Kupferschindeln gedeckten spätgotischen Prunkerker ließ . . . — Map (db m126003) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Historisches Rathaus
German: 1358 errichtet, erfuhr das Gebäude im Laufe der Zeit mehrere bauliche Veränderungen. Es diente bis 1897 als Sitz des Magistrats. Im Erdgeschoß befanden sich eine Kaufhalle und die Brotbank, im ersten Stock waren die . . . — Map (db m126004) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — HölblinghausHerzog-Friedrich-Straße 10
German: Dieses gotische Bürgerhaus des 15. Jahrhunderts erhielt vermutlich von dem um 1723 nach Innsbruck übersiedelten Stuchateur Anton Gigl aus Wessobrunn seine üppige barocke Fassade. Der Name des Hauses geht auf Sebastain . . . — Map (db m125996) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Prechthaus
German: Das Prechthaus stammt aus dem 15. Jahrhundert und wurde um 1540 unter Dr. Basilius Precht durch Gregor Türing umgebaut. 1588 erwarb es Hofkanzler Dr. Justinian Moser, im 17. Jahrhundert war es im Besitz der Grafen . . . — Map (db m126005) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Triumphpforte
German: Die nach alter Tradition der Begrüßungspforten urbaute Ehrenpforte wurde im Jahre 1765 anlässlich der Hochzeit des späteren Kaisers Leopold II. mit der spanischen Infantin Maria Ludovica aus Steinen des Vorstadttores . . . — Map (db m126011) HM
New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Kedgwick — M114 155mm Howitzer

Ce canon a été en service dans les jungles de Burma, tout près de l'Australie et l'Afrique du Nord. Il termina son service en 1996 pour retourner au Canada, par la suite fut donné à la localité de Kedgwick en l'honneur de tout les . . . — Map (db m125694) HM WM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Kedgwick — Veterans MemorialKedgwick, N.B.

Hommage a nos veterans

[Dévoué] 11 novembre 1992 ————————————— Tribute to our . . . — Map (db m125732) WM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — La croix et le coq du clocher / The Steeple Cross and Rooster VaneHaltes à travers le temps / Steps in History

La croix et le coq sont au sommet de la plus haute structure de la Ville de Saint-Quentin. Le coq et la croix du clocher de l'église du Très Saint-Sacrement proviennent de l'église précédente détruite par le feu au soir du . . . — Map (db m125680) HM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — Le monument aux fondateurs / The Founders MonumentHaltes à travers le temps / Steps in History

La fontaine fut érigée en 1957 en l'honneur des fondateurs de Saint-Quentin, elle est un don de M. Patrick Jean, entrepreneur prolifique de la paroisse. Elle fut construite par. M. Andréas Coulombe.

Le dévoilement du . . . — Map (db m125684) HM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — Saint-Quentin Hommage militaire / Military Tribute1918 - 2008 — « La Madone » / "The Madonna"

En l'honneur de la Sainte Patronne, des Acadiens et Acadiennes, des Français que priaient et imploraient les mères, pour qu'elle « protège » et « ramène en vie » leurs fils, de la Guerre. Comme « La Madone », ce « transporteur de . . . — Map (db m125537) HM WM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — Veterans Memorial

Hommage à nos vétérans Leur souvenir vivra

[English translation]

Tribute to our veterans Their memory will live on — Map (db m125526) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — A Changing Waterfall / Une chute au debit varie

During the spring freshet, 6000 m3 or six million litres of water, 9/10ths the volume of Niagara Falls, cascades over the falls every second. A few months later, virtually all the water is diverted to the power plant. . . . — Map (db m125521) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Acadia of the Lands and Forests / l'Acadie des terres et forêts

This sculpture was erected in memory of our ancestors who were the founders of Acadia of the Lands and Forests. Commemorating the 2014 Congrès mondial acadien which was held in our region. . . . — Map (db m125346) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Bridges and Piers / Ponts et piliers

The stone towers supported the cables of the 1860 bridge. The cement pier bore the spans of the 1914 steel structure. The present bridge (1976) is named for jockey Ron Turcotte. It is 83.5 m long and 42.4 m above the river. . . . — Map (db m125518) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Fort Carleton1791

In 1791, Thomas Carleton, first Governor of New Brunswick, ordered the erection of a military post at Grand Falls, which bore his name. The Fort protected the route followed by postal couriers between Halifax and Quebec. It also affirmed the . . . — Map (db m125312) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — German 77mm Gun

Gun No. 8283, calibre 77mm captured by 25th Batt'n. C.E.F. Aug. 27th 1918 at Moon Quarry, near Cherisy [France] — Map (db m125423) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — O. B. Davis Park and Lovers' LaneParc O. B. Davis et sentier des Amoureux

Oran B. Davis, a wealthy lumberman, had this area cleaned and opened it to the public. There are several historic monuments to be seen. The beautiful shady walk gives an excellent view of the falls and dam. . . . — Map (db m125516) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Ron TurcotteCanada's greatest jockey / Le plus grand jockey canadien

Born and raised in Drummond NB, Ron Turcotte was going to be a lumberjack, but fate played a role when he took charge of the logging horses, where he learned his legendary horsemanship.

In Toronto, he worked for Windfields Farm then later . . . — Map (db m125433) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to Our Veterans

Dedie a nos veterans — Map (db m125313) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — World War I Memorial1914 • Honour Roll • 1918

In memory of our men who made the supreme sacrifice in World War I

Edwin E. Austin • Leo Bradley • Leo L. Bell Miles Dixon • Harry Darkis • R. A. Estey Paul E. Green • Alex Hartt • Owen Hartt H. J. Kelly • T. F. Malcholm • John . . . — Map (db m125421) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — World War II Memorial1939 • Honor Roll • 1945

In memory of our men who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II

Joseph A. Arseneault • Roland Beaulieu • Frederick Bertelsen Jack Doucette • Frank J. Downing • Mike Dube Basil Dunster • Edmund D. Fraser • Frank T. Johnson . . . — Map (db m125422) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — World Wars MemorialLest We Forget

In honored memory of the men of Grand Falls who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914 ——— 1918

Their names liveth forever

[Honored Dead]

Paul E. Green • John A. Taylor • T. H. Pirie • R. A. Estey . . . — Map (db m125314) WM

New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — Nellie Cunningham

The ground for this court donated by Nellie Cunningham in memory of her parents William T. and Fannie Cunningham — Map (db m125285) HM

New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — War Memorial

Honouring Our Heroic Dead

1914 - 1918 [World War I] Edwin Boyd • James Gould • Perley Graham Thomas Nicholson • Coburn Wright

1939 - 1945 [World War II] Reginald Chase • Claude Derrick • Samuel Dow Clifford Fox • . . . — Map (db m125286) WM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Lansdowne — Thousand Islands International Bridge

This international bridge system links Canada and the United States across the St. Lawrence River and islands from Ivy Lea, Ontario, to Collins Landing, N.Y. It was opened on August 18, 1938, by William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of . . . — Map (db m124428) HM

Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Mallorytown — The Macdonald Cartier Freeway

This plaque commemorates the completion of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway (Highway 401), the longest freeway operated without tolls by a single highway authority in North America.

Covering 510 miles between Windsor on the United States . . . — Map (db m124488) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Automated Lock / Une écluse automatique

The new lock at Combined, opened in 1974, is one of three automated locks on the Rideau Canal. The basic principle of locking through boats by raising and lowering water levels is the same for all the locks, but the operating mechanisms that . . . — Map (db m125629) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 13 — Beckwith Street and Bridge / La rue Beckwith et le pont

Created during the town's settlement in the early 1820's, the name of Beckwith Street and its bridge derived from Beckwith Township, when strong ties existed between the Anglican congregations of both communities. At 99 feet wide, Beckwith . . . — Map (db m124644) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Crossroads of the Rideau / À la croisée des chemins

Canal, rail and highway converge at Smiths Falls, the crossroads of the Rideau corridor. Each means of transport, built in turn, changed the face of the town, the Rideau River, and this lockstation. Canal construction first transformed the . . . — Map (db m125889) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 16 — HMCS Smiths FallsThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Launched in Kingston August 19, 1944 this Corvette (of the Flower Class) sailed under Pennant K345 commanded by Lt. CDR. Philip Taber Byers. The ship made 3 Atlantic crossings as a convoy escort, later transporting men to Quebec City who were . . . — Map (db m124545) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 7 — Parc Victoria ParkThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

This once marshy area was transformed into a picturesque space in 1897, as trees, flower gardens, and pathways were landscaped to create a "public pleasure ground". The area was named Victoria Park in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, . . . — Map (db m124791) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Rotary Club Swimming Pool Stone / La pierre de la piscine du club Rotary

This stone, a reminder of the heritage of Smiths Falls, was restored by the Smiths Falls Rotary Club during the National Parks Centennial.

November 1985 . . . — Map (db m124736) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls

The 3 locks here were designed to overcome a series of rapids with a total fall of over 7 metres (20 feet). A set like this is known as a flight of locks - each lock raises a vessel part of the way - rather like a stairway. Construction here . . . — Map (db m124723) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — The underwater view / La vue sous l'eau

The locks before you, replaced by the automated lock in 1974, are the only non-operational locks on the Rideau Canal. Their preservation reflects Parks Canada's commitment to protect and present canal heritage. These locks provide us with an . . . — Map (db m125621) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — To Commemorate the Opening of the Rideau Canal 1832

[Title is text] — Map (db m124556) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 14 — Town Hall / L'Hôtel de VilleThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Town Hall The Town Hall was built in 1859 in the Classical Revival Style to house the municipal offices and council chambers of Smiths Falls including the Police and Fire Departments. In later years there were additions to the building . . . — Map (db m124512) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Vimy Oaks / Les chênes de Vimy

A chance for them to say what they cannot:__________. — Map (db m124630) WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — War MemorialLest We Forget — "They Gave Their To-day For Our To-morrow"

To the honoured memory of those who fought & fell in the Great War 1914 — 1918

[Battles] 1915 Ypres·Festubert·Givenchy

1916 Somme·Sanctuary Wood·Courcelette

1917 Vimy Ridge·Hill 70·Lens·Passchendaele

1918 . . . — Map (db m124565) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Welcome to Combined LocksBienvenue à l'écluse combinée

This lockstation is one link in the chain of rivers, lakes and waterway structures that make up the Rideau Canal. Built under the direction of the British military between 1826 and 1832 to serve as a supply route, the canal is an outstanding . . . — Map (db m125638) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 12 — Wood's Mill / Moulin WoodThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Originally built in 1830 under Abel Russell Ward, this site has changed faces and owners many times. Throughout the course of its history, it was an oatmeal and grist mill, and then rebuilt in 1887 under the new ownership of Alexander Wood. . . . — Map (db m124632) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — World War Memorial"Their Glory shall never die"

In Memory Of Our Brave Dead 1914-1918.

S.W. Gilroy • G.B. Garton • G. Fields • A. Fields J.B. Perkins • W.H. Cooke • F. Fumerton • S. Holland J. McGill • C. Robinson • T. Powell • J. McShane H. Polk • E. Megart • F.H. . . . — Map (db m124501) WM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — La Vielle Auberge / The Old InnSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"

Une auberge bien spéciale!

Cette maison à l'architecture particulière a été construite en 1872. D'abord résidence de Joseph Aubin et de sa femme, elle passe aux mains de son fils Alphonse au début du XXe siècle. . . . — Map (db m128506) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — Le magasin général / The General StoreSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"

Commerce de détail à Sainte-Flavie

Au début du XXe siècle, le magasin général est un élément important de la vie villageoise. Habituellement, on y trouve presque tout ce qui sert à l'usage domestique, de la nourriture à . . . — Map (db m128528) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — Place Clément-Chouinard Plaza

Fils de Pierre Chouinard et de Flavie Deschênes, Clément Chouinard est né le 28 octobre 1915. Deuxième d'une famille de 12 enfants, il épouse Cécile Beaulieu en 1940 et se voit confier la ferme de ses beaux-parents la même . . . — Map (db m128436) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — 100e anniversaire de l'église Notre-Dame-des-Neiges100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Snows Church — 1887 - 1987

Hommage aux fondateurs

Architecte: David Ouellet Constructeurs: Augustin Audet • Hubert Morin

Cures: Desire Vezina Ptre Damase Morisset Ptre

Monument erige a l'occasion du centenaire de la construction de . . . — Map (db m126127) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Le Cheval Noir / The Black Horse

Une œuvre de l'artiste-sculpteur Michael Bergstaller

Haute de 5 mètres, cette sculpture est composée de tiges et de plaques d'acier ancrées sur un radier de béton armé. Cabré sur ses pattes arrière, le Cheval Noir s'éloigne . . . — Map (db m126126) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Les magasins Rioux / The Rioux Shopsrue Notre-Dame Ouest

Une véritable tradition commerciale a pris racine dans ce secteur des Trois-Pistoles. L'avènement du Chemin du Roi et le déplacement du centre nerveux de toute l'activité pistoloise de la fin du XVIIIe siècle ont fait . . . — Map (db m125875) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'île-aux-Basques / Isle of the Basques

Sur L'île aux Basques, on voit encore les vestiges de fourneaux construits par les Basques. Le Père Nouvel et ses néophytes papinachois se retirèrent sur l'île aux Basques, en 1666, pour se protéger contre les . . . — Map (db m126165) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'Institutionnel Église - Couvent - PresbytèreThe Institution of Church - Convent - Rectory

L'église des Trois-Pistoles, ce temple, ce monument. Elle est, sous plus d'un chapitre, l'histoire même du milieu, nous rappelant le grand déplacement de la communauté « d'en-bas vers en-haut » et l'avènement d'une période . . . — Map (db m126088) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Ancre de service de l'Empress of IrelandService anchor from the Empress of Ireland

Cette ancre, de type amiral à jas mobile, fut prélevée de l'épave en 1993. D'un poids de six tonnes, e'était la plus petite du navire.

This anchor, an Admiralty anchor with a movable stock, was recovered from the wreck in 1993. . . . — Map (db m127680) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Bienvenue / Welcome

Bienvenue au lieu historique national du Phare-de-Pointe-au-Père

De 1859 à 1997, les signaux lumineux et sonores du phare de Pointe-au-Père ont guidé des milliers de navires. Ce lieu a aussi accueilli la station officielle de . . . — Map (db m127813) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Défense du Canada / Defense of Canada

En l'honneur des braves qui ont combattu lors de la bataille de « Châteauguay » le 26 octobre 1813 et celle de « Crysler's Farm » le 11 novembre 1813.

Plus de 1000 miliciens du Bas-Saint-Laurent (District de Cornwallis du . . . — Map (db m126707) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Du moulin à la maison / From the mill to the housele mur de madriers empilés / the wall of stacked planks — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

En pays forestier, on ne lésine pas sur l'emploi du bois : comme pour les maisons en rondins ou en pièces sur pièces, c'est à la grande abondance du bois qu'on doit l'existence de bâtiments en madriers empilés. La maison de . . . — Map (db m126801) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Façons de France ...en Amérique / French Ways ...in Americaune charpente de colombages / a half-timbered frame — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

À leur arrivée en Nouvelle-France, les colons débarquent avec armes et bagages, amenant ici les outils, les traditions et les savoir-faire de leurs contrées d'origine. Ainsi, les maçonneries en pierre de Bretagne, les colombages en . . . — Map (db m127082) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Fumée de mer / Smoke from the SeaÉmilie Rondeau — 2017

Dans la nuit du 29 mai 1914, un dense brouillard étouffe le son de la cloche de brume de l'Empress of Ireland. Quatorze minutes plus tard, le fleuve glacial engloutit le navire et 1012 de ses passages. À partir d'éléments . . . — Map (db m127342) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Innovation

Armé pour durer

Cette remarquable tour octogonale fait partie d'une série de phares et béton armé construits entre 1906 et 1914. Ces derniers arborent diverses formes : tours rondes et carrées, tours hexagonales et octogonales . . . — Map (db m128420) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La maison du commerce / The House of Commerce

À partir de la fin du XVIIIe siècle, sous la poussée de l'industrialisation, les marchands offrent des produits manufacturés. Ceux-ci sont exposés dans une salle d'échantillons avec de larges fenêtres invitant le client à . . . — Map (db m127319) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La station de pilotage / The pilotage stationL'histoire du marin Koning / First Officer Koning's story — Parcours historique et maritime / Maritime and history route

La station de pilotage

Le fleuve Saint-Laurent est une voie d'eau dangereuse. On sait que dès 1815, pour guider les navires vers Québec, plusieurs pilotes offrent leurs services depuis Pointe-au-Père, désignée alors comme la . . . — Map (db m127181) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le hangar de la corne de brume / Fog Alarm Shed

Pointe-au-Père fut un véritable laboratoire d'expérimentations sonores. On y testait différents signaux sonores avant de les mettre en place dans d'autres stations de phares canadiennes. Le hangar de la corne de brume témoigne de ce . . . — Map (db m127803) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le Manoir Seigneurial

À son arrivée à Rimouski en 1696, le seigneur René Lepage construit, près de la rivière, une maison en colombage d'environ 6 mètres (20 pieds) sur 15,2 mètres (50 pieds) et une petite scierie pour les besoins de la jeune . . . — Map (db m126441) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le phare de Pointe-au-Père / Point-au-Père Lighthouse

Ce lieu a joue un rôle clé dans l'histoire maritime du pays à titre de station de pilotage et de feu de navigation. C'était à Pointe-au-Père, où le golfe et le fleuve Saint-Laurent se confondent, que les navires changeaient de pilote. . . . — Map (db m126852) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le temps de s'établir / Time to Settlela construction de bois rond / round wood construction — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

Les contrées de colonisation regorgent de forêts : or il faut abattre les arbres pour pouvoir cultiver la terre.

On recourt donc aux outils les plus rudimentaires —la hache du bûcheron— pour se bâtir rapidement une . . . — Map (db m127091) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — L'épave du/The Wreck of RMS Empress of Ireland

Le naufrage de ce vaisseau majestueux, le 29 mai 1914, causa la mort de 1 012 personnes, représentant la plus grave tragédie maritime de l'histoire canadienne. Son épave, au large de Sainte-Luce, constitue l'exemple le plus complet au . . . — Map (db m126935) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les Fusiliers du St-LaurentLe soldat de la cote / The Soldiers of the Coast — Parcours historique et maritime / Maritime and history route

Le 9 avril 1869, suite à la Confédération, la première unité canadienne-française est formée; elle est composée de deux bataillons provisoires : celui du Témiscouata et celui de Rimouski. Le 1er novembre 1920, suite à . . . — Map (db m127288) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les gardiens de phare / The lightkeepers

L'âme du phare Le gardien et son assistant participent à la sécurité de la navigation sur une section du fleuve. Prenant leur quart de travail tour à tour, ils assurent une présence 24 heures sur 24 pendant la saison de . . . — Map (db m126901) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les maisons de colonisation / Settlement Houses

Dès le début du XIXe siècle, les trop nombreux habitants de la vallée du Saint-Laurent sont en quête de nouvelles terres à cultiver. Pour contrer l'émigration massive vers l'Ouest canadien et les États-Unis, le clergé et le . . . — Map (db m128327) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les maisons de notables / Noteworthy Houses

Sur les artères prestigieuses des villes, dans la seconde moitié du XIXe siècle, surgissent des maisons dont l'architecture distinctive leur a valu l'appellation de « châteaux victoriens ».

Ces maisons de notables . . . — Map (db m128484) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les marins decedes en mer durant la guerre 1939-1945Sailors Who Died at Sea During World War II

[De face/Front]

Pointe-au-Père

Mat. 2er Francoeur Lorenzo 26 ans M.M. S.S. Nereus 10 déc. 1941

Steward Francoeur Pierre Emile 28 ans M.N. S.S. Nereus 10 déc. 1941

Mat. 2er Fréchette Jean Baptiste Roland . . . — Map (db m127802) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les pilotes / The pilots

Le plus vieux métier du pays Naviguer sur le Saint-Laurent est très risqué. Les Européens l'ont vite compris. Par conséquent, on fait appel aux pilotes depuis les débuts du Régime français. Avec le temps, le métier s'est perpétué . . . — Map (db m127133) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les pilotes du Saint-Laurent / St. Lawrence Pilots

Depuis le milieu du XVIIe siècle, des pilotes professionnels n'ont cesse de marquer l'histoire de la navigation sur le fleuve Saint-Laurent en conduisant les navires entre le golfe et Montréal. Ces experts du transport . . . — Map (db m126853) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les premices / In the beginning

Du naufrage au balisage

Pointe-au-Père se trouve près de la limite entre le golfe et les eaux intérieures. L'île Saint-Barnabé, face à Rimouski, est le premier d'une longue série d'écueils menaçant les navires qui remontent . . . — Map (db m128404) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les premiers phares / The first lighthouses

Au service de la poste royale

Le phare de Pointe-au-Père doit son origine à la poste. En 1856, la Montreal Ocean Steamship Company obtient le contrat de transport du courrier entre Londres et Montréal. Ses propriétaires, les . . . — Map (db m128405) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les signaux sonores / The sound signals

Les signaux invisibles

Par temps de brume, le feu du phare est inutile. Entrent alors en jeu les signaux sonores. Cette station en a utilisé et testé plusieurs. Au début du 20e siècle, le Ministère en avait fait un . . . — Map (db m127816) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maison Lamontagne House

Cette maison est érigée vers 1744 pour Marie-Agnès Lepage, fille du seigneur de Rimouski, et son époux Basile Côté. Leur fille, Geneviève Côté, en devient propriétaire en 1791 et la fait agrandir au début du XIXe siècle par . . . — Map (db m126729) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maisons d'aujourd'hui / Today's Houses

Le paysage du Québec moderne est fait de bungalows; notre époque y ajoute maints petits chateâux victoriens. Peut-on encore dire de nos maisons qu'elles sont «québécoises»?

C'est un fait que la rentabilité foncière, la . . . — Map (db m127120) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maisons des faubourgs / Suburban Houses

Les faubourgs de Québec et de Montréal sont les premières excroissances périurbaines de la Nouvelle-France. Entre ville et campagne, le bâti y jouit d'abord d'une densité moindre et les maisons s'implantent seules, bordées de marges de . . . — Map (db m128880) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Modernisation / Modernizing

Un vaste rayonnement

Au début du 20e siècle, Pointe-au-Père bouillonne d'activités : en plus du phare, on y trouve un poste de communication, une station de relevé des marées et, à partir de 1905, la station . . . — Map (db m128409) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Monument commémoratif de guerre / War Memorial

Aux braves du district de Rimouski tombés au champ d'honneur 1914 - 1918

[Rouleau de morts honorés]

Membres des Forces Armées morts au champ d'honneur 1939-1945

[Rouleau de morts honorés]

Corée . . . — Map (db m126473) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Naufrage du Brier Mist / Sinking of the Brier Mist

10 milles a l'ouest de Pointe au Pere le 27 novembre 1998 Capitaine Bastien Levesque 35 ans de Maria Julien Boudreau 35 ans de Carleton Carl Porlier 42 ans de Carleton Sebastien Lapointe 18 ans de Maria Frederic Desrosiers . . . — Map (db m127764) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Naufrage du navire B.F. / Sinking of the Ship B.F.

a l'est de Pointe au Pere le 14 mai 1952

CHS Noel Bernier capt 32 ans · Lucien Verreault 34 ans Enoch Bernier 28 ans · Marius Parent 21 ans Real Bernier 25 ans · Normand Beaudoin 21 ans Francois Langelier 32 ans · Arthur . . . — Map (db m127801) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Père Nouvel[Father Nouvel]

Historique

De 1961 à 1967, le plus grand traversier brise-glace de l'époque, le N.M. Père Nouvel, fut en opération entre Pointe-au-Père et Baie-Comeau. Il marqua le début d'une ère nouvelle dans le domaine du transport . . . — Map (db m127165) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Pierre des champs... pierre des villes / Stones of the fields... stones of the citiesles ouvrages de maçonnerie / the works of masonry — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

L'usage de la pierre pour la construction s'est développé tout autant à la campagne qu'à la ville, bien que les autorités aient souvent contraint les citadins à construire "en dur" par mesure de protection contre les incendies. . . . — Map (db m127047) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Pointe-au-Père, sur la marée montante / on the rising tideUn rappel de son histoire maritime / A reminder of its maritime history — La Route verte du Bas-Saint-Laurent / The Lower Saint Lawrence Green Route

Avec la construction de son quai en eau profonde en 1902, SAVIEZ-VOUS QUE Pointe-au-Père devint rapidement un poste de pilotage de 1906 à 1959? Par ailleurs, SAVIEZ-VOUS QUE la station Marconi fut en service de 1908 . . . — Map (db m127372) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Polyvalence / Versatility

La station à tout faire La particularité de la station de Point-au-Père était sa polyvalence. Autour de phare et du poste de pilotage, se greffaient divers services et fonctions. La station a même servi de laboratoire dans . . . — Map (db m127135) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Rimouski War of 1812 Honored Dead

En hommage aux trois miliciens de Rimouski décédés des blessures subies lors des batailles de « Châteauguay » le 26 octobre 1813 et de « Crysler's Farm » le 11 novembre 1813 et inhumés au cimetière de La Prairie.

François Ruhait . . . — Map (db m126718) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Seigneur René Lepage de Sainte-ClaireLord René Lepage of St. Clair

En hommage au Seigneur René Lepage de Sainte-Claire fondateur de Rimouski

Symbolique du monument

Le socle de pierre illustre l'enracinement des ancêtres en terre de France.

La table de béton . . . — Map (db m126720) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Sur un squelette... de bois / On a skeleton... of woodla charpente à ossature de bois / Wood Frame Framing — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

Avec l'exploitation massive des forêts, les bois de construction de forte taille ont commencé à se faire rares. À compter de la fin du siècle dernier, par conséquent, les manières de construire se sont peu à peu transformées, en faveur . . . — Map (db m126731) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Témoins de l'automatisation de la station de phareVestiges of lighthouse station automation

Ces dalles de béton au sol conservent la trace de deux petits hangars construits dans les années 1970 pour abriter une génératrice et un criard électronique.

Le premier hangar abritait un criard électronique. En effet, dans la . . . — Map (db m127836) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Un jeu de blocs... d'argile / A set of blocks ... of clayl'assemblage de brique structurale / Structural brick assembly — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

L'usage de la brique ne date pas d'hier : on l'utilise depuis des millénaires. Il se produisait déjà, en petites quantités, de la brique d'argile cuite en Nouvelle-France.

Per après la Conquête, suivant l'exemple britannique, le . . . — Map (db m126848) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Une forêt pour sa maison / A forest for his housela construction de pièces sur pièces / the construction of pieces on pieces — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

C'est surtout en milieu rural, là où les maisons étaient plus éloignées les unes des autres, que l'usage du bois pour les habitations permanentes va se généraliser.

Dès le début du 18e siècle, la maison de pièces sur pièces . . . — Map (db m126962) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Vivre à / Daily Life at Pointe-au-Père

Pendant plus de cent ans, plusieurs travailleurs et leur famille habitèrent à Pointe-au-Père. Pour le gardien de phare, l'assistant-gardien, les pilotes, l'ingénieur de signaux de brume, la station n'était pas seulement un lieu de . . . — Map (db m128424) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 14 — Le couvent du Saint-Rosaire / The Saint-Rosaire Convent

Le promoteur

À son arrivée à L'Isle-Verte, en 1920, le chanoine J.-Alphonse Verreau (devenu Monseigneur en 1928) trouve l'école du village et le troisième presbytère dans un état lamentable. C'est alors qu'il prononce ces . . . — Map (db m125843) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 13 — L'Église / The Church

On appelle plutôt "chapelle" notre première église tellement elle était petite. Bâtie entre 1723 et 1738, elle était située sur la terre donnée à l'Église par le premier seigneur Côté. La seconde fut construite de 1798 à 1800, près de . . . — Map (db m125872) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — CJFP

Hommage a Jean-Francois Pouliot

avril 1947

[English translation]

Tribute to Jean-Francois Pouliot

April 1947 — Map (db m125764) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — 1 — Hôtel de Ville / City Hall

L'hôtel de ville a été construit sur les anciennes fondations du Marché public, érigé en 1902 et incendié en 1910. On y retrouve des magasins au rez-de-chaussée et une salle de théâtre à l'étage. C'est l'ingénieur civil Georges Ouimet qui signe . . . — Map (db m125739) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — Le projet Fraserville / The Fraserville Project

Dans les rues du vieux Rivière-du-Loup se cache l'histoire d'un grand projet urbain

La promenade pittoresque Dans un quadrilatère d'un kilomètre s'est bâtie une ville dont la planification a été amorcée il y a 200 ans. . . . — Map (db m125735) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — L'Hôtel de ville de Rivière-du-LoupCent ans de fierté • 1917-2017

Un premier hôtel de ville à Fraserville

Le chantier pour la construction de l'hôtel de ville débute au printemps 1902 et l'ouverture officielle a lieu un an plus tard, à Pâques, le dimanche 12 avril 1903. La première séance . . . — Map (db m125768) HM

Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Fort Impérial - the Empire's FortFort Impérial - Carska tvrđava
Croatian: Izardena 1806.-1812. u urijeme francuske vlasti u Dubrovniku i posvećena Napoleonu I. Od 1815. do 1882. austrijska je vojska proširuje i nadograđuje. U Domovinskom rate, 1991.-1995., tvedava je postals simbol . . . — Map (db m126977) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Grad Dubrovnik
Croatian: PLAN GRADA S OBILJEŽENIM OŠTEĆENJIMA NASTALIM U AGRESIJI JUGOSLAVENSKE ARMIJE SRBA I CRNOGORACA NA DUBROVNIK 1991-1992 GODINE English: City map with the sites of damage caused by the . . . — Map (db m126979) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Marco PoloMarko Polo
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Marco Polo, the famous medieval figure, explorer, traveller and travel writer. The place of his . . . — Map (db m127112) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Reconstruction of the House of Marco Polo 2015.-2020.Rekonstrucija Nuće Marka Pola 2015.-2020.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. We apologize for possible inconvenience caused by temporary works. -- The Town of Korčula . . . — Map (db m127110) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Silk RoadPut Svile
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The journey of Marco Polo to China began in 1271. His father Nicola and uncle Mateo traveled a . . . — Map (db m127111) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Memorial TabletSpomen Ploča
Croatian: Oslobođenja Grada Korčule 25.IV.1941 - Talijansko-Fasisticka Okupacija 9.IX.1943 - Korčulanski P.O.Oslobodio Grad 23.IX.1943 - Njemačko - Nacistička Okupacija 13.IX.1944 - . . . — Map (db m127105) HM WM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Naval Battle in the Waters Off KorčulaPomorska Bitka u Voddama Korčule
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The famous naval battle between Venice and Genoa took place in the Pelješac Channel, along the . . . — Map (db m127109) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Town of KorčulaGrad Korčula
is situated on the island of the same name and it encompasses administratively the settlements of Čara, Pudnat, Žmovo, Račišće and the town of Korčula itself. Korkyra Melaina, the wooded Korčula, as it was named by the . . . — Map (db m127106) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 8 — barokni Bedemirazvitak Grada
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128401) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 10 — Peristil i Kathedrala
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128443) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 11 — Sv. Dominik Srebrna Vrata(Silver Gate)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128423) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 7 — vrata od PisturePalača
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128392) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 9 — Zlatna Vrata(Golden Gate)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128387) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Church of Our Lady of the Bell Tower and the municipal clockCrkva Gospe od Zvonika i gradski sat
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The little church built in the 6th century in the sentries' walkway above the Iron Gate of . . . — Map (db m128108) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Diocletian's Mausoleum / Cathedral of St. DujamMauzolej - Katedrala
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The mausoleum of the Emperor Diocletian was built at the beginning of the 4th century, as one of . . . — Map (db m127356) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 2 — Dioklecijanova Palača(Diocletian's Palace) — Podrumi (Cellars)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128230) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 5 — Hramovi(Temples)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128213) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Julius Nepos
Julius Nepos (C. 430-480) was a western emperor (474-480) during the last stage of the western Roman Empire he reigned. At first, over Italy and adjoining areas yet held by the western empire. As of 475, he had influence only over Dalmatia, having . . . — Map (db m127597) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Jupiter Temple(Baptistery of St. John)
The Temple of Jupiter (Croatian: Jupiterov hram) is a temple dedicated to the Jupiter, Ancient Roman God of sky and thunder and king of the Gods. Temple is located in the western part of the Diocletian's palace near the Peristyle, the central square . . . — Map (db m127358) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 12 — Lazareti(Lazaretto)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128215) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Marko Marulić
Croatian: U ovoj se kući (prema predaji) 18. VII. 1450. rodio Marko Marulić prozom i u "versih harvacki slažući po običaju naših začinjavc" začetke udari hrvatskoj umjetničkoj . . . — Map (db m127596) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 6 — Pjaca(The Square)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128390) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 3 — Riva(Seafront)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128216) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Andrić House - The Vidović GalleryKuća Andrić - Galerija Vidović
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The three-storey building in Classicist style was designed for the building of the Classics High . . . — Map (db m128104) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Augubio PalacePalača Augubio
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the wealthy merchant, later ennobled, Giovanni Battista De Gubbio of the . . . — Map (db m127599) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Cambi PalacePalača Cambi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Gothic palace of the old Split patrician family of Cambi was built in the first half of the . . . — Map (db m127414) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Church of St MartinCrkva sv. Martina
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. One of the first little churches in Diocletian's Palace, it was built in the 5th-6th century in . . . — Map (db m127415) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Church of St RocheCrkva sv. Roka
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Church of St Roche with its Renaissance façade was created in 1516 through the conversion of . . . — Map (db m128101) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Ciprianis-Benedetti PalacePalača Ciprianis-Benedetti
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The palace was built in 1394 for the Split nobleman Cipriano de Ciprianis (C. Žaninić . . . — Map (db m127320) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Dragišić (De Caris) PalacePalača Dragišić (De Caris)
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This is an originally Romanesque house of the 13th century, with Gothic and Renaissance . . . — Map (db m127417) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Golden Gate Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the second half of the 15th century, the design and execution of which . . . — Map (db m127416) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Grisogono Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The medieval house of the old Split patrician family of Grisogono was constructed on the corner . . . — Map (db m128106) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Iron Gate Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The remains of this Late Gothic palace of the mid-15th century, which suffered numerous . . . — Map (db m128112) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Karepić PalacePalača Karepić
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of the patrician family of Karepić, which moved from Trogir to . . . — Map (db m127361) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Large Papalić PalaceVelika Papalićeva palača
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Late Gothic palace that was put up in the mid-15th century by the patrician Split . . . — Map (db m127590) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Marulić PalacePalaća Marulić
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the second half of the 15th century in which, according to tradition, . . . — Map (db m127591) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Milesi PalacePalača Milesi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This palace in the Baroque style with the characteristic sequence of round openings for shops on . . . — Map (db m127374) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The One-time Convent of the Poor Clares of St. NicholasNedadašnji samostan klarisa sv. Nikole
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A complex on the site of the one-time triclinium and the residential sector of Diocletian's . . . — Map (db m127322) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Pavlović PalacePalača Pavlović
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of an old Split patrician family of the 16th century. It was extended in . . . — Map (db m127413) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Sulphur SpaSumporne toplice
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This building of 1903 designed by Kamilo Tončić is an important specimen, with its . . . — Map (db m127321) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Town Hall
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The old Gothic town hall is the only remaining building complex that was knocked down in 1825 . . . — Map (db m127371) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Arsenal / Historical Shipyard, 14th-17th cent.Arsenal / povijesno brodogradilište, 14.-17. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The first Arsenal was built between 1292 and 1331 and it was used as a shipyard for galleys. New . . . — Map (db m127191) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Benedictine Convent and Church of St. Anthony the Abbot, 17th - 18th cent.Samostan benediktinki i crkva st. Antuna opata, 17. - 18. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Benedictine Convent has been located here since 1664, originally the residential complex of . . . — Map (db m127150) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Church of the Annunciation, 14th-17th cent.Crkva Navještenja / Anuncijata, 14.-17. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Gothic-Renaissance church was first mentioned in the 14th cent. It had a very important role . . . — Map (db m127194) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Church of the Holy Spirit, 15th cent.Crkva sv. Duha, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The late Gothic Church of the Holy Spirit was built at the end of the 15th cent. by the . . . — Map (db m127247) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Gate / Porta BadoerGradska vrata / Porta Badoer
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Fortica fortress. . . . — Map (db m127244) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Walls, 15th cent.Gradske zidine, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Building of medieval City Walls started after the decision of the Venetian authorities in 1278. . . . — Map (db m127147) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Walls, 15th cent.Gradske zidine, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Building of medieval City Walls started after the decision of the Venetian authorities in 1278. . . . — Map (db m127151) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Clock Tower / Leroj, 15th cent.Kula sa atom / Leroj, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Originally in the defensive system of the city walls, Clock Tower used to belong the Duke's . . . — Map (db m127195) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Jakša Palace, 15th cent.Palača Jakša, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Gothic Jakša palace wast built at the end of the 15th cent. next to the southern city walls. The . . . — Map (db m127149) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Paladini Palace, lower, 15th - 19th cent.Palača Paladini, donna, 15. - 19. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The lower Paladini Palace was built by the galley commander and knight Nikiola Paladinić in . . . — Map (db m127240) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Porta MaestraPorta Maestra
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Frotica . . . — Map (db m127186) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — St. Mary's GateVrata sv. Marije
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Frotica . . . — Map (db m127146) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — St. Stephen's square / Piazza, 15th cent.Trg. Sv.Stjepana / Pjaca, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Central square in the city of Hvar or Piazza is the largest square in Dalmatia. Originally it was . . . — Map (db m127241) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Užižić Palace (Hektorović Palace), 15th cent.Palača Užižić (palača Hektorvić), 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Palace Užižić, earlier known as the Hektorović Palace incorrectly, was built about . . . — Map (db m127188) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Velo Grablje — Varnenica Na Roskarsnicu1914 (Lookout)
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Vapnenica is one of several local words denoting a limekiln, When burnt, the piled stone burns . . . — Map (db m127145) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevačka CrkvaThe Franciscan Church
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128541) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevački Samostan
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128540) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Grad TekstilaCity of Textiles
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128651) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Gradska VijećnicaThe City Hall
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128722) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Isusovački SamostanThe Jesuit Monastery
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128728) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Josip II. Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128872) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Krinolina LjubaviCrinoline of Love
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128601) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća BakićBakić House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128871) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća JaccominiHouse Jaccomini
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128721) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća RitzThe Ritz House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128719) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kula StražarnicaThe Watchtower
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128875) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Marija Terezüa Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128648) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača DraškovićThe Drašković Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128727) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača Patačić - BužanPatačić - Bužan Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128873) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača SermageThe Sermage Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128537) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Ratni spomenik iz 1915War memorial 1915
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), English (middle) and German (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128591) HM WM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinska Crkva Rodenja IsusovogUrsluline Church of the Birth of Christ
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128538) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinski SamostanThe Ursuline Convent
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128539) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — ŽitnicaThe Granary
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128874) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Županijska PalačaVaraždin County Palace
The text of this marker appear in five languages: Croatian, on top, followed by English, German, French and Italian. Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128596) HM
Czech Republic, Plzeňský (Okres Plzeň-město), Plzeň — Díky, Ameriko!Thank You America!
(Czech Column) Diky, Ameriko! Dne 6. Května 1945 město Plzeň bylo osvobozeno Americkou Armádou (English Column) Thank You America! On May 6th 1945 the city of Plzeň was liberated . . . — Map (db m126920) WM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Bethelskibet / Bethel Ship
Her lå Bethelskibet det blev afløst af sømandshjemmet bethel Nyhavn 22 Indviet 18. marts 1906

-

(English translation:)

The missionary ship "Bethel" was located here. It was replaced by the Bethel . . . — Map (db m127790) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Copenhagen Business School
Copenhagen Business School (CBS) tidligere Handelshøjskolen, blev etableret i 1917 på initiativ af Danish Society for Education and Business, tidligere FUHU Foreningen til Unge Handelsmænds Uddannelse CBS' aktiviteter . . . — Map (db m125268) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Dagbladet Politiken / The Politiken Newspaper
I dette hus grundlagde Viggo Hørup, Herman Bing, og Edvard Brandes dagbladet Politiken 1. Oktober 1884 Her lå redaktionen indtil 1912

Opsat på 100-årsdagen i 1984

-

(English . . . — Map (db m125294) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Georg Brandes
. . . — Map (db m125315) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Han Christian Lumbye
Her fødtes Komponisten H.C. Lumbye 2 Maj 1810

-

(English translation:)

The composer H.C. Lumbye was born here on May 2, 1810. — Map (db m124420) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hans Christian Ørsted
Hans Christian Örsted boede her som professor ved universitete fra October 1824, til sin dödsdag den 9 marts 1851.

-

English translation:

Hans Christian Ørsted lived here as a professor at the . . . — Map (db m125317) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Harald Høffding
Her laa indtil 1938 Den Høffdingske Gaard

Her fødtes Filosoffen Harald Høffding 11 Marts 1843

-

Until 1938, the Høffding courtyard was located here.

The philosopher Harald Høffding was born here on . . . — Map (db m125151) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hovedbygningen / Main BuildingKøbenhavns Universitet / University Of Copenhagen
På dette sted opførte universitetet efter reformationen i 1536 sin første hovedbygning, som nedbrændte under Københavns brand i 1728. Efter at være genopført nedbrændte den igen under englændernes bombardement i 1807.

Den nuværende . . . — Map (db m127263) HM


4223 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 4023
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.