Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2691 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2491
 
Martyrs Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2018
Martyrs Marker
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Martyrs
Miltidk Marjani • Selim Myftari • Astrit Toto • Sadik Rusto • Niko Stefani DESHMOREVE QERANE KETU NEPERPJEKJE ME FORCAT NAZISTE ME 2.10.1943 English translation: This is a very rough translation based on only a few words . . . — Map (db m126783) HM WM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Roman Town PlanningPlanimetria e tipit romak — Periudha Romake/II Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: A . . . — Map (db m126943) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Sacred OriginsOrigjina e shenjtë — Periudha Helenistike/III Cent. BC/Hellenistic period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Butrint . . . — Map (db m126891) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Baptistery and its mosaic pavementsPagëzimorja dhe mozaikët e dyshemeve të saj
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126921) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Changing SettlementHistoria e vendbanimit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) bottom left, top) and English (bottom left, bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126888) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The channel-side city wallMuret e qytetit përgjatë Kanalit të Vivarit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126944) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Expansion of ButrintZgjerimi i Butrintit — Periudha Romake/II Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: By the . . . — Map (db m126918) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Great BasilicaBazilika e Madhe
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126949) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Lion GatePorta e Luanit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (bottom left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126951) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Roman ForumForumi romak — Periudha Romake/I Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126919) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Sanctuary of AsclepiusFaltorja e Asklepit — Periudha Helenistike/III Cent. BC/Hellenistic period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126913) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The TheatreTeatri
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (center left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126914) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Venetians at ButrintVenecianët në Butrint — Periudha Veneciane/XVI Cent. AD/Venetian Period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (bottom left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126884) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — Kalaja e OnhezmitThe Castle of Saranda
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: It's . . . — Map (db m126795) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — Nicolae Iorga
The texts on this marker are written in Romanian? (top), Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Romanian and Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. . . . — Map (db m126792) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — SinagogueBasilica Archeological Remains V-VI Century
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Sinagogue - . . . — Map (db m126803) HM
Australia, New South Wales (Council of the Sydney), The Rocks — Legacy
Captain Stanley Savige formed Legacy in 1923, as an offshoot of the Remembrance Club founded by Major General Sir John Gellibrand to help former servicemen struggling to re-establish themselves after World War I. The Legacy Club changed its . . . — Map (db m126551) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl
German: Der "neue" Hof war im 15. Jahrhundert die Residenz von Herzog Friedrich IV. "mit der leeren Tasche" und Sigmund "dem Münzreichen". Den mit 2657 feuervergoldeten Kupferschindeln gedeckten spätgotischen Prunkerker ließ . . . — Map (db m126003) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Historisches Rathaus
German: 1358 errichtet, erfuhr das Gebäude im Laufe der Zeit mehrere bauliche Veränderungen. Es diente bis 1897 als Sitz des Magistrats. Im Erdgeschoß befanden sich eine Kaufhalle und die Brotbank, im ersten Stock waren die . . . — Map (db m126004) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — HölblinghausHerzog-Friedrich-Straße 10
German: Dieses gotische Bürgerhaus des 15. Jahrhunderts erhielt vermutlich von dem um 1723 nach Innsbruck übersiedelten Stuchateur Anton Gigl aus Wessobrunn seine üppige barocke Fassade. Der Name des Hauses geht auf Sebastain . . . — Map (db m125996) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Prechthaus
German: Das Prechthaus stammt aus dem 15. Jahrhundert und wurde um 1540 unter Dr. Basilius Precht durch Gregor Türing umgebaut. 1588 erwarb es Hofkanzler Dr. Justinian Moser, im 17. Jahrhundert war es im Besitz der Grafen . . . — Map (db m126005) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Triumphpforte
German: Die nach alter Tradition der Begrüßungspforten urbaute Ehrenpforte wurde im Jahre 1765 anlässlich der Hochzeit des späteren Kaisers Leopold II. mit der spanischen Infantin Maria Ludovica aus Steinen des Vorstadttores . . . — Map (db m126011) HM
New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Kedgwick — M114 155mm Howitzer

Ce canon a été en service dans les jungles de Burma, tout près de l'Australie et l'Afrique du Nord. Il termina son service en 1996 pour retourner au Canada, par la suite fut donné à la localité de Kedgwick en l'honneur de tout les . . . — Map (db m125694) HM WM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Kedgwick — Veterans MemorialKedgwick, N.B.

Hommage a nos veterans

[Dévoué] 11 novembre 1992 ————————————— Tribute to our . . . — Map (db m125732) WM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — La croix et le coq du clocher / The Steeple Cross and Rooster VaneHaltes à travers le temps / Steps in History

La croix et le coq sont au sommet de la plus haute structure de la Ville de Saint-Quentin. Le coq et la croix du clocher de l'église du Très Saint-Sacrement proviennent de l'église précédente détruite par le feu au soir du . . . — Map (db m125680) HM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — Le monument aux fondateurs / The Founders MonumentHaltes à travers le temps / Steps in History

La fontaine fut érigée en 1957 en l'honneur des fondateurs de Saint-Quentin, elle est un don de M. Patrick Jean, entrepreneur prolifique de la paroisse. Elle fut construite par. M. Andréas Coulombe.

Le dévoilement du . . . — Map (db m125684) HM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — Saint-Quentin Hommage militaire / Military Tribute1918 - 2008 — « La Madone » / "The Madonna"

En l'honneur de la Sainte Patronne, des Acadiens et Acadiennes, des Français que priaient et imploraient les mères, pour qu'elle « protège » et « ramène en vie » leurs fils, de la Guerre. Comme « La Madone », ce « transporteur de . . . — Map (db m125537) HM WM

New Brunswick (Restigouche County), Saint-Quentin — Veterans Memorial

Hommage à nos vétérans Leur souvenir vivra

[English translation]

Tribute to our veterans Their memory will live on — Map (db m125526) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — A Changing Waterfall / Une chute au debit varie

During the spring freshet, 6000 m3 or six million litres of water, 9/10ths the volume of Niagara Falls, cascades over the falls every second. A few months later, virtually all the water is diverted to the power plant. . . . — Map (db m125521) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Acadia of the Lands and Forests / l'Acadie des terres et forêts

This sculpture was erected in memory of our ancestors who were the founders of Acadia of the Lands and Forests. Commemorating the 2014 Congrès mondial acadien which was held in our region. . . . — Map (db m125346) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Bridges and Piers / Ponts et piliers

The stone towers supported the cables of the 1860 bridge. The cement pier bore the spans of the 1914 steel structure. The present bridge (1976) is named for jockey Ron Turcotte. It is 83.5 m long and 42.4 m above the river. . . . — Map (db m125518) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Fort Carleton1791

In 1791, Thomas Carleton, first Governor of New Brunswick, ordered the erection of a military post at Grand Falls, which bore his name. The Fort protected the route followed by postal couriers between Halifax and Quebec. It also affirmed the . . . — Map (db m125312) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — German 77mm Gun

Gun No. 8283, calibre 77mm captured by 25th Batt'n. C.E.F. Aug. 27th 1918 at Moon Quarry, near Cherisy [France] — Map (db m125423) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — O. B. Davis Park and Lovers' LaneParc O. B. Davis et sentier des Amoureux

Oran B. Davis, a wealthy lumberman, had this area cleaned and opened it to the public. There are several historic monuments to be seen. The beautiful shady walk gives an excellent view of the falls and dam. . . . — Map (db m125516) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Ron TurcotteCanada's greatest jockey / Le plus grand jockey canadien

Born and raised in Drummond NB, Ron Turcotte was going to be a lumberjack, but fate played a role when he took charge of the logging horses, where he learned his legendary horsemanship.

In Toronto, he worked for Windfields Farm then later . . . — Map (db m125433) HM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to Our Veterans

Dedie a nos veterans — Map (db m125313) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — World War I Memorial1914 • Honour Roll • 1918

In memory of our men who made the supreme sacrifice in World War I

Edwin E. Austin • Leo Bradley • Leo L. Bell Miles Dixon • Harry Darkis • R. A. Estey Paul E. Green • Alex Hartt • Owen Hartt H. J. Kelly • T. F. Malcholm • John . . . — Map (db m125421) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — World War II Memorial1939 • Honor Roll • 1945

In memory of our men who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II

Joseph A. Arseneault • Roland Beaulieu • Frederick Bertelsen Jack Doucette • Frank J. Downing • Mike Dube Basil Dunster • Edmund D. Fraser • Frank T. Johnson . . . — Map (db m125422) WM

New Brunswick (Victoria County), Grand Falls — World Wars MemorialLest We Forget

In honored memory of the men of Grand Falls who laid down their lives in the Great War 1914 ——— 1918

Their names liveth forever

[Honored Dead]

Paul E. Green • John A. Taylor • T. H. Pirie • R. A. Estey . . . — Map (db m125314) WM

New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — Nellie Cunningham

The ground for this court donated by Nellie Cunningham in memory of her parents William T. and Fannie Cunningham — Map (db m125285) HM

New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — War Memorial

Honouring Our Heroic Dead

1914 - 1918 [World War I] Edwin Boyd • James Gould • Perley Graham Thomas Nicholson • Coburn Wright

1939 - 1945 [World War II] Reginald Chase • Claude Derrick • Samuel Dow Clifford Fox • . . . — Map (db m125286) WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Automated Lock / Une écluse automatique

The new lock at Combined, opened in 1974, is one of three automated locks on the Rideau Canal. The basic principle of locking through boats by raising and lowering water levels is the same for all the locks, but the operating mechanisms that . . . — Map (db m125629) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 13 — Beckwith Street and Bridge / La rue Beckwith et le pont

Created during the town's settlement in the early 1820's, the name of Beckwith Street and its bridge derived from Beckwith Township, when strong ties existed between the Anglican congregations of both communities. At 99 feet wide, Beckwith . . . — Map (db m124644) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Crossroads of the Rideau / À la croisée des chemins

Canal, rail and highway converge at Smiths Falls, the crossroads of the Rideau corridor. Each means of transport, built in turn, changed the face of the town, the Rideau River, and this lockstation. Canal construction first transformed the . . . — Map (db m125889) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 16 — HMCS Smiths FallsThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Launched in Kingston August 19, 1944 this Corvette (of the Flower Class) sailed under Pennant K345 commanded by Lt. CDR. Philip Taber Byers. The ship made 3 Atlantic crossings as a convoy escort, later transporting men to Quebec City who were . . . — Map (db m124545) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 7 — Parc Victoria ParkThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

This once marshy area was transformed into a picturesque space in 1897, as trees, flower gardens, and pathways were landscaped to create a "public pleasure ground". The area was named Victoria Park in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, . . . — Map (db m124791) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Rotary Club Swimming Pool Stone / La pierre de la piscine du club Rotary

This stone, a reminder of the heritage of Smiths Falls, was restored by the Smiths Falls Rotary Club during the National Parks Centennial.

November 1985 . . . — Map (db m124736) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls

The 3 locks here were designed to overcome a series of rapids with a total fall of over 7 metres (20 feet). A set like this is known as a flight of locks - each lock raises a vessel part of the way - rather like a stairway. Construction here . . . — Map (db m124723) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — The underwater view / La vue sous l'eau

The locks before you, replaced by the automated lock in 1974, are the only non-operational locks on the Rideau Canal. Their preservation reflects Parks Canada's commitment to protect and present canal heritage. These locks provide us with an . . . — Map (db m125621) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — To Commemorate the Opening of the Rideau Canal 1832

[Title is text] — Map (db m124556) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Vimy Oaks / Les chênes de Vimy

A chance for them to say what they cannot:__________. — Map (db m124630) WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — War MemorialLest We Forget — "They Gave Their To-day For Our To-morrow"

To the honoured memory of those who fought & fell in the Great War 1914 — 1918

[Battles] 1915 Ypres·Festubert·Givenchy

1916 Somme·Sanctuary Wood·Courcelette

1917 Vimy Ridge·Hill 70·Lens·Passchendaele

1918 . . . — Map (db m124565) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Welcome to Combined LocksBienvenue à l'écluse combinée

This lockstation is one link in the chain of rivers, lakes and waterway structures that make up the Rideau Canal. Built under the direction of the British military between 1826 and 1832 to serve as a supply route, the canal is an outstanding . . . — Map (db m125638) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 12 — Wood's Mill / Moulin WoodThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Originally built in 1830 under Abel Russell Ward, this site has changed faces and owners many times. Throughout the course of its history, it was an oatmeal and grist mill, and then rebuilt in 1887 under the new ownership of Alexander Wood. . . . — Map (db m124632) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — 100e anniversaire de l'église Notre-Dame-des-Neiges100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Snows Church — 1887 - 1987

Hommage aux fondateurs

Architecte: David Ouellet Constructeurs: Augustin Audet • Hubert Morin

Cures: Desire Vezina Ptre Damase Morisset Ptre

Monument erige a l'occasion du centenaire de la construction de . . . — Map (db m126127) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Le Cheval Noir / The Black Horse

Une œuvre de l'artiste-sculpteur Michael Bergstaller

Haute de 5 mètres, cette sculpture est composée de tiges et de plaques d'acier ancrées sur un radier de béton armé. Cabré sur ses pattes arrière, le Cheval Noir s'éloigne . . . — Map (db m126126) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Les magasins Rioux / The Rioux Shopsrue Notre-Dame Ouest

Une véritable tradition commerciale a pris racine dans ce secteur des Trois-Pistoles. L'avènement du Chemin du Roi et le déplacement du centre nerveux de toute l'activité pistoloise de la fin du XVIIIe siècle ont fait . . . — Map (db m125875) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'île-aux-Basques / Isle of the Basques

Sur L'île aux Basques, on voit encore les vestiges de fourneaux construits par les Basques. Le Père Nouvel et ses néophytes papinachois se retirèrent sur l'île aux Basques, en 1666, pour se protéger contre les . . . — Map (db m126165) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'Institutionnel Église - Couvent - PresbytèreThe Institution of Church - Convent - Rectory

L'église des Trois-Pistoles, ce temple, ce monument. Elle est, sous plus d'un chapitre, l'histoire même du milieu, nous rappelant le grand déplacement de la communauté « d'en-bas vers en-haut » et l'avènement d'une période . . . — Map (db m126088) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Défense du Canada / Defense of Canada

En l'honneur des braves qui ont combattu lors de la bataille de « Châteauguay » le 26 octobre 1813 et celle de « Crysler's Farm » le 11 novembre 1813.

Plus de 1000 miliciens du Bas-Saint-Laurent (District de Cornwallis du . . . — Map (db m126707) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Du moulin à la maison / From the mill to the housele mur de madriers empilés / the wall of stacked planks — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

En pays forestier, on ne lésine pas sur l'emploi du bois : comme pour les maisons en rondins ou en pièces sur pièces, c'est à la grande abondance du bois qu'on doit l'existence de bâtiments en madriers empilés. La maison de . . . — Map (db m126801) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Façons de France ...en Amérique / French Ways ...in Americaune charpente de colombages / a half-timbered frame — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

À leur arrivée en Nouvelle-France, les colons débarquent avec armes et bagages, amenant ici les outils, les traditions et les savoir-faire de leurs contrées d'origine. Ainsi, les maçonneries en pierre de Bretagne, les colombages en . . . — Map (db m127082) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La station de pilotage / The pilotage stationL'histoire du marin Koning / First Officer Koning's story — Parcours historique et maritime / Maritime and history route

La station de pilotage

Le fleuve Saint-Laurent est une voie d'eau dangereuse. On sait que dès 1815, pour guider les navires vers Québec, plusieurs pilotes offrent leurs services depuis Pointe-au-Père, désignée alors comme la . . . — Map (db m127181) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le Manoir Seigneurial

À son arrivée à Rimouski en 1696, le seigneur René Lepage construit, près de la rivière, une maison en colombage d'environ 6 mètres (20 pieds) sur 15,2 mètres (50 pieds) et une petite scierie pour les besoins de la jeune . . . — Map (db m126441) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le phare de Pointe-au-Père / Point-au-Père Lighthouse

Ce lieu a joue un rôle clé dans l'histoire maritime du pays à titre de station de pilotage et de feu de navigation. C'était à Pointe-au-Père, où le golfe et le fleuve Saint-Laurent se confondent, que les navires changeaient de pilote. . . . — Map (db m126852) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le temps de s'établir / Time to Settlela construction de bois rond / round wood construction — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

Les contrées de colonisation regorgent de forêts : or il faut abattre les arbres pour pouvoir cultiver la terre.

On recourt donc aux outils les plus rudimentaires —la hache du bûcheron— pour se bâtir rapidement une . . . — Map (db m127091) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — L'épave du/The Wreck of RMS Empress of Ireland

Le naufrage de ce vaisseau majestueux, le 29 mai 1914, causa la mort de 1 012 personnes, représentant la plus grave tragédie maritime de l'histoire canadienne. Son épave, au large de Sainte-Luce, constitue l'exemple le plus complet au . . . — Map (db m126935) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les Fusiliers du St-LaurentLe soldat de la cote / The Soldiers of the Coast — Parcours historique et maritime / Maritime and history route

Le 9 avril 1869, suite à la Confédération, la première unité canadienne-française est formée; elle est composée de deux bataillons provisoires : celui du Témiscouata et celui de Rimouski. Le 1er novembre 1920, suite à . . . — Map (db m127288) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les gardiens de phare / The lightkeepers

L'âme du phare Le gardien et son assistant participent à la sécurité de la navigation sur une section du fleuve. Prenant leur quart de travail tour à tour, ils assurent une présence 24 heures sur 24 pendant la saison de . . . — Map (db m126901) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les pilotes / The pilots

Le plus vieux métier du pays Naviguer sur le Saint-Laurent est très risqué. Les Européens l'ont vite compris. Par conséquent, on fait appel aux pilotes depuis les débuts du Régime français. Avec le temps, le métier s'est perpétué . . . — Map (db m127133) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les pilotes du Saint-Laurent / St. Lawrence Pilots

Depuis le milieu du XVIIe siècle, des pilotes professionnels n'ont cesse de marquer l'histoire de la navigation sur le fleuve Saint-Laurent en conduisant les navires entre le golfe et Montréal. Ces experts du transport . . . — Map (db m126853) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maison Lamontagne House

Cette maison est érigée vers 1744 pour Marie-Agnès Lepage, fille du seigneur de Rimouski, et son époux Basile Côté. Leur fille, Geneviève Côté, en devient propriétaire en 1791 et la fait agrandir au début du XIXe siècle par . . . — Map (db m126729) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maisons d'aujourd'hui / Today's Houses

Le paysage du Québec moderne est fait de bungalows; notre époque y ajoute maints petits chateâux victoriens. Peut-on encore dire de nos maisons qu'elles sont «québécoises»?

C'est un fait que la rentabilité foncière, la . . . — Map (db m127120) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Monument commémoratif de guerre / War Memorial

Aux braves du district de Rimouski tombés au champ d'honneur 1914 - 1918

[Rouleau de morts honorés]

Membres des Forces Armées morts au champ d'honneur 1939-1945

[Rouleau de morts honorés]

Corée . . . — Map (db m126473) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Père Nouvel[Father Nouvel]

Historique

De 1961 à 1967, le plus grand traversier brise-glace de l'époque, le N.M. Père Nouvel, fut en opération entre Pointe-au-Père et Baie-Comeau. Il marqua le début d'une ère nouvelle dans le domaine du transport . . . — Map (db m127165) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Pierre des champs... pierre des villes / Stones of the fields... stones of the citiesles ouvrages de maçonnerie / the works of masonry — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

L'usage de la pierre pour la construction s'est développé tout autant à la campagne qu'à la ville, bien que les autorités aient souvent contraint les citadins à construire "en dur" par mesure de protection contre les incendies. . . . — Map (db m127047) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Polyvalence / Versatility

La station à tout faire La particularité de la station de Point-au-Père était sa polyvalence. Autour de phare et du poste de pilotage, se greffaient divers services et fonctions. La station a même servi de laboratoire dans . . . — Map (db m127135) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Rimouski War of 1812 Honored Dead

En hommage aux trois miliciens de Rimouski décédés des blessures subies lors des batailles de « Châteauguay » le 26 octobre 1813 et de « Crysler's Farm » le 11 novembre 1813 et inhumés au cimetière de La Prairie.

François Ruhait . . . — Map (db m126718) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Seigneur René Lepage de Sainte-ClaireLord René Lepage of St. Clair

En hommage au Seigneur René Lepage de Sainte-Claire fondateur de Rimouski

Symbolique du monument

Le socle de pierre illustre l'enracinement des ancêtres en terre de France.

La table de béton . . . — Map (db m126720) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Sur un squelette... de bois / On a skeleton... of woodla charpente à ossature de bois / Wood Frame Framing — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

Avec l'exploitation massive des forêts, les bois de construction de forte taille ont commencé à se faire rares. À compter de la fin du siècle dernier, par conséquent, les manières de construire se sont peu à peu transformées, en faveur . . . — Map (db m126731) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Un jeu de blocs... d'argile / A set of blocks ... of clayl'assemblage de brique structurale / Structural brick assembly — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

L'usage de la brique ne date pas d'hier : on l'utilise depuis des millénaires. Il se produisait déjà, en petites quantités, de la brique d'argile cuite en Nouvelle-France.

Per après la Conquête, suivant l'exemple britannique, le . . . — Map (db m126848) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Une forêt pour sa maison / A forest for his housela construction de pièces sur pièces / the construction of pieces on pieces — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

C'est surtout en milieu rural, là où les maisons étaient plus éloignées les unes des autres, que l'usage du bois pour les habitations permanentes va se généraliser.

Dès le début du 18e siècle, la maison de pièces sur pièces . . . — Map (db m126962) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 14 — Le couvent du Saint-Rosaire / The Saint-Rosaire Convent

Le promoteur

À son arrivée à L'Isle-Verte, en 1920, le chanoine J.-Alphonse Verreau (devenu Monseigneur en 1928) trouve l'école du village et le troisième presbytère dans un état lamentable. C'est alors qu'il prononce ces . . . — Map (db m125843) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 13 — L'Église / The Church

On appelle plutôt "chapelle" notre première église tellement elle était petite. Bâtie entre 1723 et 1738, elle était située sur la terre donnée à l'Église par le premier seigneur Côté. La seconde fut construite de 1798 à 1800, près de . . . — Map (db m125872) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — CJFP

Hommage a Jean-Francois Pouliot

avril 1947

[English translation]

Tribute to Jean-Francois Pouliot

April 1947 — Map (db m125764) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — 1 — Hôtel de Ville / City Hall

L'hôtel de ville a été construit sur les anciennes fondations du Marché public, érigé en 1902 et incendié en 1910. On y retrouve des magasins au rez-de-chaussée et une salle de théâtre à l'étage. C'est l'ingénieur civil Georges Ouimet qui signe . . . — Map (db m125739) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — Le projet Fraserville / The Fraserville Project

Dans les rues du vieux Rivière-du-Loup se cache l'histoire d'un grand projet urbain

La promenade pittoresque Dans un quadrilatère d'un kilomètre s'est bâtie une ville dont la planification a été amorcée il y a 200 ans. . . . — Map (db m125735) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — L'Hôtel de ville de Rivière-du-LoupCent ans de fierté • 1917-2017

Un premier hôtel de ville à Fraserville

Le chantier pour la construction de l'hôtel de ville débute au printemps 1902 et l'ouverture officielle a lieu un an plus tard, à Pâques, le dimanche 12 avril 1903. La première séance . . . — Map (db m125768) HM

Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Fort Impérial - the Empire's FortFort Impérial - Carska tvrđava
Croatian: Izardena 1806.-1812. u urijeme francuske vlasti u Dubrovniku i posvećena Napoleonu I. Od 1815. do 1882. austrijska je vojska proširuje i nadograđuje. U Domovinskom rate, 1991.-1995., tvedava je postals simbol . . . — Map (db m126977) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Grad Dubrovnik
Croatian: PLAN GRADA S OBILJEŽENIM OŠTEĆENJIMA NASTALIM U AGRESIJI JUGOSLAVENSKE ARMIJE SRBA I CRNOGORACA NA DUBROVNIK 1991-1992 GODINE English: City map with the sites of damage caused by the . . . — Map (db m126979) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Marco PoloMarko Polo
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Marco Polo, the famous medieval figure, explorer, traveller and travel writer. The place of his . . . — Map (db m127112) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Reconstruction of the House of Marco Polo 2015.-2020.Rekonstrucija Nuće Marka Pola 2015.-2020.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. We apologize for possible inconvenience caused by temporary works. -- The Town of Korčula . . . — Map (db m127110) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Silk RoadPut Svile
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The journey of Marco Polo to China began in 1271. His father Nicola and uncle Mateo traveled a . . . — Map (db m127111) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Memorial TabletSpomen Ploča
Croatian: Oslobođenja Grada Korčule 25.IV.1941 - Talijansko-Fasisticka Okupacija 9.IX.1943 - Korčulanski P.O.Oslobodio Grad 23.IX.1943 - Njemačko - Nacistička Okupacija 13.IX.1944 - . . . — Map (db m127105) HM WM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Naval Battle in the Waters Off KorčulaPomorska Bitka u Voddama Korčule
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The famous naval battle between Venice and Genoa took place in the Pelješac Channel, along the . . . — Map (db m127109) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Town of KorčulaGrad Korčula
is situated on the island of the same name and it encompasses administratively the settlements of Čara, Pudnat, Žmovo, Račišće and the town of Korčula itself. Korkyra Melaina, the wooded Korčula, as it was named by the . . . — Map (db m127106) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Ciprianis-Benedetti PalacePalača Ciprianis-Benedetti
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The palace was built in 1394 for the Split nobleman Cipriano de Ciprianis (C. Žaninić . . . — Map (db m127320) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The One-time Convent of the Poor Clares of St. NicholasNedadašnji samostan klarisa sv. Nikole
A complex on the site of the one-time triclinium and the residential sector of Diocletian's Palace on which from the first half of the 15th century until 1884 the convent of the Split Poor Clares was located. This complex, which investigations have . . . — Map (db m127322) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Sulphur SpaSumporne toplice
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This building of 1903 designed by Kamilo Tončić is an important specimen, with its . . . — Map (db m127321) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Arsenal / Historical Shipyard, 14th-17th cent.Arsenal / povijesno brodogradilište, 14.-17. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The first Arsenal was built between 1292 and 1331 and it was used as a shipyard for galleys. New . . . — Map (db m127191) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Benedictine Convent and Church of St. Anthony the Abbot, 17th - 18th cent.Samostan benediktinki i crkva st. Antuna opata, 17. - 18. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Benedictine Convent has been located here since 1664, originally the residential complex of . . . — Map (db m127150) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Church of the Annunciation, 14th-17th cent.Crkva Navještenja / Anuncijata, 14.-17. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Gothic-Renaissance church was first mentioned in the 14th cent. It had a very important role . . . — Map (db m127194) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Church of the Holy Spirit, 15th cent.Crkva sv. Duha, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The late Gothic Church of the Holy Spirit was built at the end of the 15th cent. by the . . . — Map (db m127247) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Gate / Porta BadoerGradska vrata / Porta Badoer
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Fortica fortress. . . . — Map (db m127244) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Walls, 15th cent.Gradske zidine, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Building of medieval City Walls started after the decision of the Venetian authorities in 1278. . . . — Map (db m127147) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Walls, 15th cent.Gradske zidine, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Building of medieval City Walls started after the decision of the Venetian authorities in 1278. . . . — Map (db m127151) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Clock Tower / Leroj, 15th cent.Kula sa atom / Leroj, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Originally in the defensive system of the city walls, Clock Tower used to belong the Duke's . . . — Map (db m127195) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Jakša Palace, 15th cent.Palača Jakša, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Gothic Jakša palace wast built at the end of the 15th cent. next to the southern city walls. The . . . — Map (db m127149) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Paladini Palace, lower, 15th - 19th cent.Palača Paladini, donna, 15. - 19. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The lower Paladini Palace was built by the galley commander and knight Nikiola Paladinić in . . . — Map (db m127240) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Porta MaestraPorta Maestra
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Frotica . . . — Map (db m127186) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — St. Mary's GateVrata sv. Marije
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Frotica . . . — Map (db m127146) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — St. Stephen's square / Piazza, 15th cent.Trg. Sv.Stjepana / Pjaca, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Central square in the city of Hvar or Piazza is the largest square in Dalmatia. Originally it was . . . — Map (db m127241) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Užižić Palace (Hektorović Palace), 15th cent.Palača Užižić (palača Hektorvić), 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Palace Užižić, earlier known as the Hektorović Palace incorrectly, was built about . . . — Map (db m127188) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Velo Grablje — Varnenica Na Roskarsnicu1914 (Lookout)
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Vapnenica is one of several local words denoting a limekiln, When burnt, the piled stone burns . . . — Map (db m127145) HM
Czech Republic, Plzeňský (Okres Plzeň-město), Plzeň — Díky, Ameriko!Thank You America!
(Czech Column) Diky, Ameriko! Dne 6. Května 1945 město Plzeň bylo osvobozeno Americkou Armádou (English Column) Thank You America! On May 6th 1945 the city of Plzeň was liberated . . . — Map (db m126920) WM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Copenhagen Business School
Copenhagen Business School (CBS) tidligere Handelshøjskolen, blev etableret i 1917 på initiativ af Danish Society for Education and Business, tidligere FUHU Foreningen til Unge Handelsmænds Uddannelse CBS' aktiviteter . . . — Map (db m125268) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Dagbladet Politiken / The Politiken Newspaper
I dette hus grundlagde Viggo Hørup, Herman Bing, og Edvard Brandes dagbladet Politiken 1. Oktober 1884 Her lå redaktionen indtil 1912

Opsat på 100-årsdagen i 1984

-

(English . . . — Map (db m125294) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Georg Brandes
. . . — Map (db m125315) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hans Christian Ørsted
Hans Christian Örsted boede her som professor ved universitete fra October 1824, til sin dödsdag den 9 marts 1851.

-

English translation:

Hans Christian Ørsted lived here as a professor at the . . . — Map (db m125317) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Harald Høffding
Her laa indtil 1938 Den Høffdingske Gaard

Her fødtes Filosoffen Harald Høffding 11 Marts 1843

-

Until 1938, the Høffding courtyard was located here.

The philosopher Harald Høffding was born here on . . . — Map (db m125151) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hovedbygningen / Main BuildingKøbenhavns Universitet / University Of Copenhagen
På dette sted opførte universitetet efter reformationen i 1536 sin første hovedbygning, som nedbrændte under Københavns brand i 1728. Efter at være genopført nedbrændte den igen under englændernes bombardement i 1807.

Den nuværende . . . — Map (db m127263) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — In Memory of Dan Uzan
יזכור

Til minde om Dan Uzan

På dette sted blev Dan Uzan, 37 år, myrdet af en terrorist den 15. februar 2015, mens han beskyttede gæster i Det Jødiske Hus. Ondskab kan alene overvindes . . . — Map (db m125940) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Museumshuset / Museum Building
Bygningen blev opfort i 1871 med Christian Hansen (1803-83) som arkitekt. Formålet var helt frem til 1965 at huse universitetets zoologiske museum. Derefter blev den i nogle år anvendt til undervisning. Bygningen blev restaureret i . . . — Map (db m125270) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Norske Selskab / The Norwegian Society
I dette hus havde Norske Selskab sine lokaler 1774-1813

Opsat 1992 af Norske Selskab i Oslo i anledning af 250-året for Johan Herman Wessel's fødsel 1742

-

(English translation:)

The . . . — Map (db m125149) HM

Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Hans Christian Andersen - School
"Her løb jeg om med træskoe paa og gik i fattigskole —"

Her var indtil aar 1847 byens fattiggaard og fattigskole

-

(English translation:)

"Here I ran on wooden shoes and went to a school for the . . . — Map (db m127249) HM

Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — The Oldest Kingdom of the World
Once upon a time - a thousand years ago - there was a king of Denmark named Gorm the Old. All through the years his family has ruled the oldest kingdom of the world, and the present Queen Margareth II is a descendant of the old King Gorm. — Map (db m127254) HM
France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (Vaucluse), Bonnieux — Rue Droite
Tout au long de la rue, vous pourrez observer sur les façades les traces des anciennes boutiques d’artisans, échoppes d’artisans, estaminets du Moyen Age. Le prétoire, la prison et la maison commune se trouvaient un peu plus bas. La . . . — Map (db m126522) HM
France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (Vaucluse), Bonnieux — Rue Droite
Tout au long de la rue, vous pourrez observer sur les façades les traces des anciennes boutiques d’artisans, échoppes d’artisans, estaminets du Moyen Age. Le prétoire, la prison et la maison commune se trouvaient un peu plus bas. La fontaine à . . . — Map (db m126523) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Historicher Gedenkpunkt / A Place for Historical Contemplation
The marker is made up of two separate pieces: a sculpture, with inscription, and an interpretive panel for the sculpture.

(Sculpture text:)

Ab 1147   Jüdischer Friedhof 1576-80   Bau des Juliusspitals durch Julius Echter . . . — Map (db m124434) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Richard Wagner
. . . — Map (db m125297) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Würzburg Jewish Deportation Memorial
In der Schrannenhalle an dieser Strasse wurde am 27. November 1941 die erste Deportation Würzburger u. Fränkischer Juden in die Vernichtungslager zusammengestellt

Ihnen und allen Opfern des . . . — Map (db m125273) HM WM

Germany, Schleswig-Holstein (Kreis Schleswig-Flensburg), Dannewerk — Bastion 14 and the 1864 WarHaithabu und Danewerk
Schanze 14 Und Der Krieg Von 1864

Diese rekonstruierte Wehranlage ist ein Überrest aus dem Deutsch-Dänischen Krieg von 1864. Erneut kam es zu einem Krieg um die nationale Zugehörigkeit des Herzogtums Schleswig. Die Dänen bauten . . . — Map (db m125089) HM

Germany, Schleswig-Holstein (Kreis Schleswig-Flensburg), Dannewerk — The "Kovirke" - New Defences for Hedeby?Haithabu und Danewerk
English text:

What is the Danevirke? Over 1000 years ago in the Viking Age, Danes, Frisians, Saxons and Slavs came into contact in this border region between Scandinavia and Central Europe. Danish kings began to fortify the . . . — Map (db m125114) HM

Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Church of the Holy Apostles (ca. A.D. 1000)
ΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΝ ΑΓΙΟΝ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΩΝ (περίπου 1000 μ.Χ.) (Text in Greek on the left side. To read . . . — Map (db m126138) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Odeion of Agrippa and Gymnasium or "Palace of the Giants"
ΩΛΕΙΟ ΤΟΥ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΚΑΙ ΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟ Ή "ΑΝΑΚΤΟΡΟ ΤΩΝ . . . — Map (db m126134) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Stoa of Attalos (159-138 B.C.)
ΣΤΟΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΤΤΑΛΟΥ (156-138 π.X.) (Text in Greek on the left side) English: The Stoa, on the east side of the Ancient Agora, was the gift of Attalos . . . — Map (db m126105) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of Apollo Patroos, Temple of Zeus Pharatrios and Athena Phratria, Benches or "Synedrion"
ΝΑΟΣ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΟΣ ΠΑΤΡΩΟΥ. ΝΑΟΣ ΔΙΟΣ ΦΡΑΤΡΙΟΥ ΚΑΙ . . . — Map (db m126136) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of HephaistosΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΟΥ — (ca. 460-415 BC)/(περ 460-415 π.Χ.)
A Doric peripteral temple, with pronaos (fore-temple), cella (inner shrine), and opisthonaos (rear wing), the best preserved of its type in the Greek world. The facade of the pronaos and opisthonaos, to the east and west, . . . — Map (db m126052) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Ancient Street of the Tripods - The Lysikrates Choregic Monument
ΑΡΧΑΙΑ ΟΔΟΣ ΤΡΙΠΟΔΩΝ - ΧΟΡΗΓΙΚΟ ΜΝΗΜΕΙΟ . . . — Map (db m126106) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The archaeological excavation
Η αρχαιολογική αναδκαφή (Text in Greek above. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The remains of a neighborhood . . . — Map (db m126107) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Area South of the Ancient Agora
Η ΠΕΡΙΟΧΜ ΝΟΤΙΩΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it . . . — Map (db m126109) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The East Side of the Ancient Agora and the Stoa of Attalos
Η ΑΝΑΤΟΛΙΚΗ ΠΛΕΥΡΑ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ Η ΣΤΟΑ . . . — Map (db m126133) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The House on Panos StreetMan and Tools — Aspects of Labour in the Pre-Industrial World
The house at 22 Panos Street is a two-storey house, with a simple, traditional architecture, built at the beginning of the 19th century. The building has a ground (entrance) floor and an upper storey. It was restored by the Ministry of Culture, in . . . — Map (db m126065) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Library of Pantainos
H ΒΙΒΛΙΟΘΗΚΗ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΝΤΑΙΝΟΥ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The . . . — Map (db m126111) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Water ClockΚΛΕΨΥΔΡΑ
This monumental water clock was constructed at the end of the 4th cent. B.C. in a prominent location at the southwest corner of there Agora square, on the street leading from the Agora up to the Pnyx. Water was drawn by a stone drain. The device was . . . — Map (db m126058) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — Monuments of the Sacred WayMNHMEIA THΣ IEPAΣ OΔOY — Monuments de la Voie Sacrée
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Within . . . — Map (db m126255) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The (Delphi) TheatreTO ΘEATPI — Le Théâtre
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126338) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Altar of Chiots AreaH ΠEPIOXH TOY BΩMOY TΩN XIΩN — La Zone de l'Autel de Chios
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The altar . . . — Map (db m126405) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Archaeological Site of DelphiAPXAIOΛOΓIKOΣ XΩPOΣ ΔEΛΦΩN
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (too) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The archaeological site of Delphi . . . — Map (db m126248) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Cemeteries of DelphiTA NEKPOTAΦEIA ΔEΛΦΩN — Les Cimetirères de Delphes
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126247) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The HalosH ΠEPIOXH THΣ AΛΩ — L'aire
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126318) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The NavelOMΦAΛOΣ — Le Nombril
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126317) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Roman AgoraPΩMAΪKH AΓOPA — L'Agora Romaine
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Today, . . . — Map (db m126407) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Sanctuary of ApolloTO IEPO TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Sanctuaire d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126249) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Stadium of DelphiTO ΣTAΔIO — Le Stade
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126403) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Temple of ApolloO NAOΣ TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Temple d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126333) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Theater DistrictH ΠEPIOXH TOY ΘEATPOY — La Zone du Théâtre
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126404) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Treasury of the Sikyonians and SiphniansΘHΣAYPOI ΣIKYΩNIΩN KAI ΣIΦNIΩN — Les Trésors des Sicyoniens et des Siphniens
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126264) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — Achillion Museum Corfu
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center-left), German (center-right) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, German and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on . . . — Map (db m126429) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — Pendant La Guerre Continentale 1914-1918
French: Les troupes Alliées ont utilisé l'ile de Corfou afin d'y recueillir et abriter l'armée Serbe apes sa retraite a travers l'albanie le 17 Février 1916, le géneral de brigade de Mondesir Commandant les troupes francaises et le . . . — Map (db m126432) HM WM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — The Entrance Gate to Achillion
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The entrance gate to Achillion . . . — Map (db m126436) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Barracks of Pasqualigo/Barracks of British Officiers
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. ΣTPATΩNAΣ . . . — Map (db m126480) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Church of Saint GeorgeNAOΣ AΓIOY ΓEΩPΓIOY
The church of Saint George was built during the period when the island was a British Protectorate (1815-1864). Construction began in 1840 in accordance with the design of the English military architect Anthony Emmett, so that the church could serve . . . — Map (db m126479) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Count Matthais von der SchulenburgO ΣTPATAPXHΣ MATTHIAS VON DER SCHULENBURG
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The German general Matthias von der . . . — Map (db m126440) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Latin Chapel of Madonna del Carmine/British Army Barracks
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. ΛATINIKO ΠAPEKΛKHΣI THΣ . . . — Map (db m126477) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Old FortressΠAΛAIO ΦPOYPIO
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top right) and English (bottom right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The Old Fortress's . . . — Map (db m126476) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Old FortressΠAΛAIO ΦPOYPIO
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (bottom left) and English (bottom right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The Old Fortress's . . . — Map (db m126514) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Palace of the Venetian CommissionerMEΓAPO BENETOY ΠPONOHTH
This building is not preserved (it was damaged by the bombs placed by Germans in 1943 and was subsequently demolished). It was the most important Venetian monument of the Old Fort. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1743 and was rebuilt in 1753 . . . — Map (db m126516) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou(The Dormition of the Virgin Mary) — or Panagia of Agion Theodoron
On the site where the church now stands, there were initially two small cave churches dedicated to Agios Theodoros (St. Theodore) and Our Lady, which are mentioned in a will from 1641 and a report from 1642 by the inspector of the Catholic Bishopic . . . — Map (db m126050) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos
This church is located on the verge of the cliffs of Fira, clinging to the edge of the caldera. It is first mentioned in a list of Santorini churches, compiled in 1757 by the Catholic Archbishop of Naxos Pietro Martire de Stefani. The church . . . — Map (db m126051) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Cubulco), Cubulco — Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed Conflict in Cubulco
En este espacio la justicia se encargara de escribir los nombres de los responsables de los hechos de violencia que causaron conmocion a miles de familias cubuleras Proyecto ejecutado por Coordinadora para la Justicia y Dignificacion de . . . — Map (db m126546) WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Jorge Toriello Garrido
Al ilustre ciudadano Jorge Toriello Garrido Líder Civil de la Revolución del 20 de Octubre de 1944 Verdadero patriota, hombre íntegro que lucho impulsado por ideales sublimes de bienestar nacional y que tuvo fe y esperanza en una . . . — Map (db m126862) HM WM
Israel, Lower Galilee Regional Council, Arbel — Arbel Ancient Synagogue /Beautiful ruins of an ancient synagogue from the 4th century BCE. — בית הכנסת העתיק
The synagogue was discovered in 1905 by H. Kohl and C. Waltzinger.

It is a square building belonging to the Galilean type of synagogue with a number of special components:

• The main entrance in the eastern wall. • The niche for holy . . . — Map (db m126103) HM

Israel, Southern District, Mitspe Ramon — The Human Spirit and the Spirit of the Earth"Thine are the heavens, thine also the earth" (Psalm 89:11)
Even from space, Makhtesh Ramon appears as a masterpiece of the spirit of the earth. This is the genesis landscape from which Ilan Ramon's name is taken. This is the most fitting place to commemorate the Space Shuttle Columbia crew, who perished on . . . — Map (db m126980) HM
Italy, South Tyrol (Castelrotto), Bulla Pufels — The Watermills of Bulla
Historical documents going back to 1288 already testify to the existence of various farms in Bulla. The farming community of those days definitely recognized the importance of hydraulic energy to grind grain. In fact, an entry in the land registry . . . — Map (db m126013) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — "Paris" Pharmacy
. . . — Map (db m125970) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 50th Anniversary of the Treaty of Tlatelolco
50 Aniversario del Tratado de Tlatelolco Aquí en Tlatelolco fue abierto a firma el 14 de febrero de 1967 el primer tratado internacional, en un área densamente poblada, que prohíbe la armas nucleares. Los 33 paises de Latinoamérica y . . . — Map (db m125747) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Alexander von Humboldt
A la memoria de Alejandro de Humboldt. que vivió en esta casa en el año de 1803. En el Centísimo Aniversario de su nacimiento los alemanes residentes en México. Setiembre 14 de 1869. English . . . — Map (db m125667) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Antonio López de Santa Anna
En esta casa murió el general Dn. Antonio Lopez de Sta. Anna, 21 de Junio de 1876 Catálogo de la Insp. Gral. de Monumentos Artísticos e Históricos. English translation: In this house died General . . . — Map (db m125288) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Archaeological Remains at Republica de Argentina StreetRecinto Sagrado Gran Basamento - Sacred Area Great Foundation — Centro Histórico - Historic Center
Vestigios arqueológicos de la calle República de Argentina La rehabilitación de la calle República de Argentina por parte del Gobierno de la Ciudad de México permitió al Instituto Nacional de Antropologia e Historia (INAH), a través . . . — Map (db m125723) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Benito Ricardo Ramírez Espíndola
Banamex rinde homenaje al C. Don Benito Ricardo Ramírez Espíndola 1900-1984 Colaborador del Banco Nacional de México y autor de la iniciativa para celebra el Día de la Bandera 24 de febrero de 1935 México, D.F., noviembre de . . . — Map (db m125405) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Birthplace of Manuel Gutiérrez Nájera
Aquí nació el poeta y periodista Manuel Gutiérrez Nájera (1859-1895), el imprescindible Duque Job, fundador del modernismo mexicano. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was born the poet and . . . — Map (db m125470) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Café de Tacuba
Café de Tacuba. Este es uno de los restaurantes más antiguos de México. Fue fundadao en 1912 por Dionisio Mollinedo. Ciudad de México English translation: Café de Tacuba. This is one of the oldest . . . — Map (db m125292) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Café La Concordia
Aquí estuvo el Café “La Concordia” de Aldo Omarini. Siglo XIX. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the La Concordia Café of Aldo . . . — Map (db m125061) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Calle de Motolinia
Este antiguo callejón era una calle de agua. Aquí atracaban las chalupas y barcazas para no interrumpir el tránsito de la Calle de las Canoas. Ciudad de México English translation: This ancient alleyway . . . — Map (db m125295) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Calle Guatemuz
1521. – 1952. Calle Guatemuz Nombre que tuvo este calle a principios de la dominación española English translation: 1521. – 1952. Guatemuz Street This street was known by this name at the beginning . . . — Map (db m125266) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Cámara de DiputadosHouse of Representatives
Antes de la Cámara de Diputados, el Teatro Iturbide ocupó esta esquina en los terrenos que fueron del Antiguo Baratillo del Factor. Ciudad de México English translation: Before this site was the House . . . — Map (db m125450) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Cine Olimpia
Aquí estuvo el cine Olimpia, que fue inaugurado por Álvaro Obregón, y en el que se estrenó la primera película sonora, El cantor de jazz. 1928. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was . . . — Map (db m125395) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Cinelandia
En 1935 se inauguró en este edificio una sala dedicada exclusivamente a la proyección de dibujos animados: Cinelandia. Ciudad de México English translation: In 1935 Cinelandia was inaugurated in . . . — Map (db m125394) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Convent of La Concepción
Año 1530 Templo y Convento de la Concepcion Este pequeño convento, pertenecio al templo arriba mencionado donde las monjas cumplían penitencia. En esta casa vivio y fallecio el Virrey Don Pedro de Castro y Figueroa actualmente . . . — Map (db m125424) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Convent of San Bernardo
Aquí estuvieron los Locutorios del Convento de San Bernardo. 1850. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here were the locutories of the Convent of San . . . — Map (db m125659) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Convent of Santa Brigída
Aquí estuvo el hoy olvidado convento de Santa Brígida, en el que fueron encarcelados los generales mexicanos leales a Maximiliano. Desapareció en 1933. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was . . . — Map (db m125116) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Convent of the Carmelitas
En esta casa estuvo el primer Convento de Carmelitas hacia 1610. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this house was the first Convent of the Carmelitas . . . — Map (db m125468) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Cuauhtémoc
Cuauhtémoc Fue el último tlatoani mexica y su nombre significa “águila que cae”. Se distinguió como dirigente de la resistencia y líder militar. El coraje, el estoicismo y la dignidad del último emperador azteca es un . . . — Map (db m125490) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Dulcería de Celaya
Dulcería de Celaya. La marquesina de esta tienda, fundada en 1874, es la más antigua que existe en la ciudad. Ciudad de México English translation: Dulcería de Celaya. (The Celaya Candy . . . — Map (db m125107) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Centro Mercantil
Aquí, donde estuvo el Portal de Augustinos, Porfirio Díaz inauguró en 1899 el Centro Mercantil, fruto de la modernidad del fin de siglo mexicano. Ciudad de México English translation: Here, in the . . . — Map (db m125344) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Gran Café La Concordia
Aquí estuvo el Gran Café La Concordia, donde en el año de 1868 compartían mesa Ignacio Ramírez y Manuel Payno. Ciudad de México English translation: Here was the Gran Café La Concordia, where in . . . — Map (db m125076) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Gran Hotel de la Ciudad de México
El Gran Hotel de la Ciudad de México. Edificio Art Noveau en el que estuvo El Centro Mercantil. Conserva su candiles originales, elevadores y el gran vitral Tiffany, uno de los más grandes del mundo. English . . . — Map (db m125337) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Monitor Republicano
En esta esquina estuvieron las oficinas de El Monitor Republicano (1844-1896), fundado por Vicente García Torres. Ciudad de México English translation: On this corner were the offices of El Monitor . . . — Map (db m125112) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — El Palacio de Hierro
El Palacio de Hierra, S.A. ha servido a la comunidad desde 1865 El Gobierno de la Ciudad de México conmemora con esta placa ese esfuerzo de 125 años Ciudad de México, 1990 English translation: El . . . — Map (db m125594) HM

2691 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2491
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.