Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

528 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 328
 
Beckwith Street and Bridge / La rue Beckwith et le pont Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 7, 2018
Beckwith Street and Bridge / La rue Beckwith et le pont Marker
Ontario, Smiths Falls — 13 — Beckwith Street and Bridge / La rue Beckwith et le pont

Created during the town's settlement in the early 1820's, the name of Beckwith Street and its bridge derived from Beckwith Township, when strong ties existed between the Anglican congregations of both communities. At 99 feet wide, Beckwith . . . — Map (db m124644) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 7 — Parc Victoria ParkThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

This once marshy area was transformed into a picturesque space in 1897, as trees, flower gardens, and pathways were landscaped to create a "public pleasure ground". The area was named Victoria Park in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, . . . — Map (db m124791) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Rotary Club Swimming Pool Stone / La pierre de la piscine du club Rotary

This stone, a reminder of the heritage of Smiths Falls, was restored by the Smiths Falls Rotary Club during the National Parks Centennial.

November 1985 . . . — Map (db m124736) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls

The 3 locks here were designed to overcome a series of rapids with a total fall of over 7 metres (20 feet). A set like this is known as a flight of locks - each lock raises a vessel part of the way - rather like a stairway. Construction here . . . — Map (db m124723) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Vimy Oaks / Les chênes de Vimy

A chance for them to say what they cannot:__________. — Map (db m124630) WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — 12 — Wood's Mill / Moulin WoodThe Heritage Trail / Le sentier du patrimoine — Remembering Our Historic Past / Nous souvenant de notre passé historique

Originally built in 1830 under Abel Russell Ward, this site has changed faces and owners many times. Throughout the course of its history, it was an oatmeal and grist mill, and then rebuilt in 1887 under the new ownership of Alexander Wood. . . . — Map (db m124632) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Historicher Gedenkpunkt / A Place for Historical Contemplation
The marker is made up of two separate pieces: a sculpture, with inscription, and an interpretive panel for the sculpture.

(Sculpture text:)

Ab 1147   Jüdischer Friedhof 1576-80   Bau des Juliusspitals durch Julius Echter . . . — Map (db m124434) HM

Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Café La Concordia
Aquí estuvo el Café “La Concordia” de Aldo Omarini. Siglo XIX. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here was the La Concordia Café of Aldo . . . — Map (db m125061) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of the Marquis de Prado Alegre
Esta fue la casa del Marqués de Prado Alegre edificada hacia el primer tercio del siglo XVIII. 1725. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: This was the house of . . . — Map (db m125060) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Benito Juárez
Mi única aspiración es servir a los intereses del pueblo y respetar su verdadera voluntad Benito Juarez Huichapan Hgo. Marzo del 2001 English translation: “My only aspiration is to serve the . . . — Map (db m124613) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — El ChapitelHuichapan - Pueblos Mágicos
El Chapitel “Los religiosos y los párrocos clérigos hicieron fabricar en los pueblos grandes, y adonde los vecinos de un distrito o provincia se reunían cierto día de la semana en los mercados que llamaban 'tianguis', que . . . — Map (db m124625) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — First Celebration of the Mexican Independence Proclamation
En este lugar se conmemoro por vez primera en el país el Grito de Independencia el 16 de septiembre de 1812 por el Lic. y Gral. Ignacio Lopez Rayon y el Lic. Andres Quintana Roo Huichapan., Hgo. 22 de diciembre de 1972 . . . — Map (db m124716) HM WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Julián Villagrán
Al héroe y mártir Insurgente General Julian Villagran - Homenaje - Que se le tributa en la Celebration del 1r Centenario de la Independencia Nació en esta ciudad el 10 de enero de 1755. Cuando se le ofreció indultar a su hijo José . . . — Map (db m124722) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — General Pedro María Anaya
A la memoria del Gral. Pedro Maria Anaya Heroe de Churubusco 20 de agosto de 1847 Huichapan Hgo. Agosto 1978 English translation: To the memory of General Pedro María Anaya Hero of Churubusco . . . — Map (db m124724) WM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Huichapan), Huichapan — Plaza of the Independence Martyrs
Plazuela de los Martires de la Independencia El 5 de mayo de 1813 las Fuerzas Realistas al mando del Gral. Pedro Monsalves fusilaron en este lugar tras de diezmarlos y quintarlos a 43 patriotas huichapeños que con vizarria defendieron . . . — Map (db m124720) WM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — Municipal Technical & Art Schools
Municipal Technical & Art Schools This Stone was Laid on the 30th Day of March 1896 by Alderman Sir Thomas Wright Knt JP Chairman of the Committee Alderman Edward Wood JP Mayor — Map (db m125042) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Collegiate Church
The Collegiate Church Upon this site stood the important and beautiful Collegiate Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, which was founded in 1355-6 by Henry, First Duke of Lancaster and Fourth Lancastrian Earl of Leicester. When he enlarged his . . . — Map (db m125046) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Magazine
This building, which dates from the 14th century, served as the main gateway to the Newarke. During the Civil War it was used as a magazine (or secure armaments store) hence its present name. as a regimental museum it continues to have military . . . — Map (db m125041) HM
United Kingdom, England (Leicestershire), Leicester — The Whipping Toms
The Whipping Toms On this spot stood the Whipping Toms, who, on Shrove Tuesday, in accordance with the ancient custom, armed themselves with wagon whips and flogged anyone who entered the precincts of the Newarke. The sport was abolished by Act . . . — Map (db m125044) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 11 Priory Row
11 Priory Row Early 18th century town house with fine brick front and stone dressings in Roman Ionic style, rebuilt and restored after extensive bomb damage this house with nearby Nos 7 and 16 Little Park Street are the only surviving examples of . . . — Map (db m124733) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 22 & 23 Bayley Lane
22 & 23 Bayley Lane No 22 ‘The Cottage’ built about 1500 is the only remaining example of numerous medieval timber framed houses which stood in this area. Notable for its original carved and traceried woodwork. Chimneys were added in the 17 . . . — Map (db m124728) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 7 Priory Row
7 Priory Row Built circa 1800, this house with Nos 8-10 Priory Row are the best surviving examples of late 18th century town houses in Coventry John Gulson Mayor 1867 and 1868 a generous public benefactor lived here 1835-1904 — Map (db m124735) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — 9 – 10 Priory Row
9-10 Priory Row Fine examples of early 19th century town houses. built over part of the site of the Cathedral Priory of St Mary founded 1043. Cellars under this house include parts of the priory ruins, approximately 4 metres (13ft) below the . . . — Map (db m124734) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Angela Brazil
Angela Brazil Children’s Writer Lived and Worked Here 1911 - 1947 — Map (db m124936) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Blue Coat School
Blue Coat School Opened as a charity school in 1714 rebuilt on the same site 1856-7 with Gothic architecture in the style of a French chateau. The two octagonal stone towers embody bases of towers of the ruined Monastic Church of St Mary dating . . . — Map (db m124905) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Cathedral Church of St Michael
The Cathedral Church of St Michael A house of worship, dedicated to the Archangel, St Michael, has stood on this site from the time of Henry I in the 12th Century. From its beginnings as a small Norman chapel, St Michael's progressively enlarged, . . . — Map (db m124653) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Choir of Survivors
Chor der Überlebenden Choir of Survivors Geschenk Der Stiftung Frauenkirche Dresden Zum 50-Jährigen Jubiläumder Weihe Der St. Michael’s-Kathedrale Von Coventry Am 25. Mai 2012 Donation of the Frauenkirche Foundation Dresden For the . . . — Map (db m124647) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Christchurch Spire
This Tower and Spire formed the centre of the Church of the Grey Friars built in 1350 with stone from a quarry nearby owned by the Black Prince. The Friary was demolished in 1512 but the spire was left standing in a garden until 1829 when . . . — Map (db m124934) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — County Hall
County Hall Built 1783-4 architect Samuel Eglinton. Used for the county court and quarter sessions. It is the only remaining 18th century public building of architectural distinction in Coventry. At one time it also housed the prison governor of . . . — Map (db m124732) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Coventry Cathedral
Coventry Cathedral – Living Icon of Reconciliation and Hope In 1940 this building, together with much of the city, was destroyed by fire bombs. Resolved to live out the Christian message of forgiveness, and running counter to the feelings of . . . — Map (db m124659) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dame Ellen Terry
Dame Ellen Terry Actress Born 27th Feb. 1847 in a house which stood nearby — Map (db m124642) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Dresden Place
This plaque was unveiled by the Lord Mayor of Dresden Herr Gerhard Schill in the presence of His Excellency the Ambassador of the German Democratic Republic Herr Karl-Heinz Kern and the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor G.W. . . . — Map (db m124933) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ecce Homo
Ecce Homo The ststue was carved by Sir Jacob Epstein during 1934 – 5 from a block of Subiaco marble. It was given to Coventry Cathedral at the wish of Lady Epstein and dedicated on 22 March 1969. Ecce Homo represents Christ before Pilate . . . — Map (db m124658) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ford’s Hospital
Ford’s Hospital Named after William Ford who’s will of 1509 endowed the almshouses. Built around a narrow court yard it is one of the most perfect examples of timber framed architecture in the country. Badly damaged by an air raid of November 1940 . . . — Map (db m124930) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Gift To The People Of Coventry
A gift to the people of Coventry From Catholic citizens Blessed by Vincent Eighth Archbishop of Birmingham 11 March 2001 — Map (db m124912) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Golden Cross Inn
The Golden Cross Inn Built circa 1583. Much restored, one of the most dramatic examples of medieval timber framed building to survive in Coventry with oversailing or ‘jettied’ upper floors on exposed timbers — Map (db m124731) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Grey Friars Gate
Bull Yard was formally a short street (Bull Street) leading to Barracks Square Market (now the Barracks car park), but on Samuel Bradford’s 1748-49) Coventry map it was part of a much longer path leading from Greyfriars gate to Smithford Street, . . . — Map (db m124937) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Home Front Memorial
In gratitude to God and to commend to future generations the self-sacrifice of all those who served on the Homefront during the Second World War ( inscribed on the perimeter ) Let each of you look not to your own . . . — Map (db m124648) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman Biggs
Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman Biggs First Bishop of the Revived See of Coventry 1918 – 1922 — Map (db m124656) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Lady Godiva’s Cathedral
Godiva, Lady of Coventry (died 10th September 1067) and her husband Leofric, Earl of Mercia (died 28th September 1057) were buried here in the church of the Benedictine monastery they founded in 1043 on the site of St Osburg’s nunnery, . . . — Map (db m124907) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Lady Herbert’s Garden
Lady Herbert’s Garden & Garden of International Friendship Lady Herbert’s Garden was laid out in the 1930s by Alfred Herbert as a memorial to his second wife. The garden of International Friendship was opened in 2000 as part of the City . . . — Map (db m124941) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Pier 3 North — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The north side of the nave was rebuilt in Gothic style in the early 13th century. Pointed arches were supported on typically diamond-shaped bases. The piece of stone on display represents the Gothic architecture of much of the cathedral and . . . — Map (db m124913) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Pier 3 South — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The south side of the nave was built in the 12th century in Norman Romanesque style. The pieces of stone here display the robust Romanesque architecture f this side of the cathedral. The half round shaft is typical of this style and many would . . . — Map (db m124911) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Reconciliation
Reconciliation In 1995, 50 years after the end of the Second World War this sculpture by osefina de Vasconcellos has been given by Richard Branson as a token of reconciliation. An identical sculpture has been placed on behalf of the people . . . — Map (db m124652) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Royal Warwickshire Regiment Memorial
1914   1918 To the Glorious Memory Of the Officers and Men of The 7th Battalions The Royal Warwickshire Regiment Who Fell in The Great War This Tablet was Erected by Their Comrades — Map (db m124660) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Ruined Cathedral Church of St Michael
The Ruined Cathedral Church of St. Michael Dates from 1300AD. One of the largest parish churches in England, built originally for the Earl's Half of Coventry, it became the Cathedral of the Diocese of Coventry in 1918. The magnificent west tower . . . — Map (db m124727) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Sanctuary
The Sanctuary, built in the 14th century and destroyed in the 20th. The cross of burnt roof timbers, the cross of nails in the cathedral and the altar of broken stones, are symbols of the Christian hope of resurrection after suffering. The Litany . . . — Map (db m124657) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Service of Remembrance
· · nation shall not lift up sword against nation — neither shall they learn war anymore · Micah 4 · 3 · 1940 Coventry 1990 forward in friendship This plaque was unveiled by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The . . . — Map (db m124654) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Sir Frank Whittle
Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle OM, KBE, CB, FRS, FRAeS This statue celebrates the centenary of Frank Whittle’s birth in Coventry and shows him watching the first test flight of a jet-propelled Gloster-Whittle E28/39 on 15 May 1941 . . . — Map (db m124938) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — St Mary’s Hall
St Mary’s Hall Built 1340-1460 restored 1824 thought to include parts of a 12 century castle in the south wall. Originally the guild hall and chambers for the merchants guilds of St Mary and Holy Trinity founded 1340 and 1364. Became the first seat . . . — Map (db m124729) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — St Michael’s Baptist Church
On this site stood St. Michaels Baptist Church from 1856 until November 1940 rebuilt at Quinton Park, Cheylesmore, Coventry. New building completed on original foundations 1991. — Map (db m124730) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — Swanswell Gate
Swanswell Gate Completed circa 1440 as part of the fortified town wall, remains of which stand in the adjoining gardens. Originally named Priory Gate it gave access to the Prior’s lands outside the wall, including Swanswell Fishpool. The archways . . . — Map (db m124939) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Cloister
The Cloister The priory cloister was situated on the north side of the cathedral. It formed a square space surrounded by monastic buildings, the most important being the chapter house on the east side. The cloister was important for its seclusion . . . — Map (db m124914) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Coventry Theatre
The Coventry Theatre The New Hippodrome, as it was originally named, was opened on 1 November 1937. It was the third Hippodrome on this site, the first situated in Pool Meadow (1903) and the second (1907) built in what is now the lower part of Lady . . . — Map (db m124940) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Guild Chapels
These chapels were established in the side aisles. They were commissioned in the 14th and 15th centuries for thee use of the Mercantile Guilds in the City. They were primarily chantries – endowed chapels in which Masses were sung for . . . — Map (db m124661) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Lychgate Cottages
Coventry City Council The Lychgate Cottages Named after the lychgate, through which funerals once entered Holy Trinity graveyard (Old English lic – corpse). The jetted building has been tree-ringed dated to 1414-15 and is the only . . . — Map (db m124906) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The North West Tower — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
To the left are the arches that lead into the north west tower, constructed in the early 13th century. This is the only ‘room’ surviving from the cathedral. It may have contained a chapel reached via a pointed arch from the north aisle. The two . . . — Map (db m124910) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Quadrant
The Quadrant Built circa 1860. Coventrys finest example of terraced housing for the prosperous middle-classes of that era. The neo-classic terrace is built in six individual sections each with its own variation in design. — Map (db m124935) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The South Porch – Nave & Chancel – Apse
The South Porch Built around 130, the porch was retained when the main body of the early English Church was demolished in the 14th to 15th centuries. It is now called the Chapel of the Ressurection; dedicated to Bishop Mervyn Haigh in June 1942. . . . — Map (db m124645) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The South West Tower — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
There is little left of the south west tower of the cathedral except the west wall and part of the spiral staircase found in 1856. The full plan of the 13th century tower was revealed during the 1999 excavations. The square room at the bottom of . . . — Map (db m124908) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Statue of Christ
The Statue of Christ This is a second casting, in concrete, of a statue at Blundell's School in Devon. It was created by an 18 year old pupil Alain John. The Headmaster, Neville Gorton, later became Bishop of Coventry and on the death of Alain . . . — Map (db m124655) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The Tower & Spire
The Tower & Spire St Michaels tower was completed in1394 and the Spire in 1433 and today stands at 294 feet. The 14th century Tower was built on the edge of a quarry on poor ground — jumble of rubble in clay with bits of old stone coffins, . . . — Map (db m124646) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Midlands), Coventry — The West Front — The Ruins of Lady Godiva's Cathedral
The west front is the best preserved part of the nave. Only the interior of the wall can be seen. It was built in the early 13th century as part of a grand re-fronting of the cathedral. It was discovered in 1856 when the Blue Coat School was being . . . — Map (db m124909) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Spanish Discovery
Near here in late summer of 1540, soldiers from the Spanish expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado became the first Europeans to see Grand Canyon. After journeying for six months, Coronado's army arrived at the Hopi mesas, east of Grand . . . — Map (db m124529) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Tragedy RememberedGrand Canyon
Catastrophe can happen even in spectacular beauty. When technological achievements and human actions fail, disasters may happen. On June 30, 1956, a United Airlines DC-7 and a TWA Super Constellation maneuvered around towering cumulus clouds on . . . — Map (db m124533) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 3 — William Saroyan House MuseumWilliam Saroyan 1908-1981 — Pulitzer Prize Winning Writer
This was the Fresno home of William Saroyan for the last 17 years of his life. In that time he wrote: 1964 — One Day in the Afternoon of the World 1966 — Short Drive, Sweet Chariot 1968 — I Used to Believe I had Forever, . . . — Map (db m125022) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Canoga Park Fire Station #72
Built in 1931 and vacated in 1978 due to earthquake damage. Became the home of the Canoga Park Chamber of Commerce 1982. Dedicated as the Canoga Park Community Center 10/26/1986. Dedication of the Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Museum in part of the . . . — Map (db m124827) HM
California (San Diego County), Naval Air Station, North Island — The World's First Seaplane FlightJan. 26, 1911.
Commemorating The World's First Seaplane Flight Jan. 26, 1911. By Glenn H. Curtiss.

His Seaplane was built here and flown from the waters of Spanish Bight San Diego, California. — Map (db m125010) HM

California (Ventura County), Ventura — 16 — Chumash Hutash FiestaSan Miguel Chapel
The Chumash Indians used this site to celebrate their Hutash Fiesta, held after the harvest each year towards the end of September. The Hutash Fiesta coincided with the Spanish Missionary's San Miguel Day giving the historic Chapel built on the site . . . — Map (db m124617) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114 — El Caballo
Friar Pedro Benito Cambón—the mission’s co-founder was highly regarded for his knowledge of irrigation, agriculture and building construction—directed Chumash laborers to build this filtration building in 1792 as part of the mission’s . . . — Map (db m124925) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 23 — Hobson Bros. Packing Company
This is the site of the Hobson Bros. Packing Company, established in the 1870's as Ventura's first slaughterhouse. The business provided sausage and cut meat for delivery to most parts of the County. The present structure was built in 1923 and . . . — Map (db m124610) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114-1 — Rancho Cañada LargaMission Aqueduct
Rancho Cañada Larga o Verde, as it was originally known, came out of lands of the San Buenaventura Mission. Following Mexican independence from Spain, Joaquina Alvarado de Moraga, whose late husband, Gabriel Moraga, was a distinguished soldier of . . . — Map (db m124924) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — San Buenaventura Mission AqueductSettling Tank
San Buenaventura Mission was an oasis of abundance. Visitors, including British Captain George Vancouver (1793) and the American California resident Alfred Robinson (early 1800s), commented on the good yield of the gardens and orchards. The nearby . . . — Map (db m124651) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — The Rocky Mountains
The high mountains west of here are the beginning of the Rocky Mountains. They are made up of resistant Precambrian granite and gneiss. The prominent red rocks in Red Rocks Park are the Fountain Formation, a series of sandstones and . . . — Map (db m125055) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Brownell Hall1845-1877

The inscribed stone below is the cornerstone of Brownell Hall, which was located on Trinity College's first campus at the present site of the State Capitol in Hartford. Built in 1845 as a dormitory, it was dedicated to the Rt. Rev. Thomas C. . . . — Map (db m124903) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Civil War Memorial

In memory of the Trinity men who fought for the principles in which they believed with the Union and Confederate forces in the Civil War and of those who gave "the last full measure of devotion" . . . — Map (db m125008) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Henry Howard BrownellClass of 1841 — "Our Battle Laureate"

Served as secretary to Admiral Farragut during the Battle of Mobile Bay ——————————— This Gun formed part of the Main Battery of Admiral Farragut's Flagship . . . — Map (db m124916) HM

Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Late Eighteenth Century Sundial

From the Abbey at Storrington, Sussex, England. — Map (db m124923) HM

District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Science Has Its Traditions As Well As Its FrontiersThe Newton Apple Tree
A descendant of the original tree whose fruit gave inspirational impetus to Isaac Newton's theory of gravitational forces was nurtured by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and transplanted here on the grounds of the National Bureau of Standards on . . . — Map (db m124922) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), LeDroit Park — Anna Julia Hayward Cooper ResidenceAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 201 T Street, NW
Educator, feminist, and civil rights activist Anna Julia Hayward Cooper (1858-1964) lived here from 1916 until her death. Born in North Carolina, Cooper graduated from Oberlin College and moved to Washington in 1887 to teach Latin at the Preperatory . . . — Map (db m124921) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Rock Creek Park — JusserandBanc Commeratif Erige a la Memoir de Jean Jule Jusserand Ambassadeur de France
The granite bench before you commemorates the scholarship, wisdom and skilled diplomacy of Jean Jules Jusserand, French Ambassador to the United States from 1902 to 1925. The memorial's inscription, "Personal Tribute of Esteem and Affectcion" . . . — Map (db m125004) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Takoma — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 2
Jurisdiction of the United States Miles 2 1792 Maryland Var. 1.12 — Map (db m125026) HM
Florida (Glades County), Moore Haven — Billie Bowlegs (III)chufí hajo — 1862 - 1965
In the Ortona cemetery, eight miles west of here, lie the remains of a noble citizen of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, a faithful representative of his people and a true friend of the white man. — Map (db m124261) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bartow — Memorial for Austin C. Welch
Austin Craig Welch, who died attempting to save Crystal E. Droz from drowning. Bartow, Fl. September 3, 2016

"Our hero, Our protector" "I got this!" — Map (db m123549) HM

Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Curry Family / Wading Birds
Curry Family Roberts Bay was named for Robert Roberts, who arrived in the area in 1871 and acquired property at the mouth of the bay. His land extended southward along the coast to the southern limits of the present City of Venice. Curry . . . — Map (db m124899) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — History of Nokomis / Fred Albee
History of Nokomis The early community between Dona Bay and Roberts Bay was part of a larger community known as Horse and Chaise. The name came from clumps of trees that reminded sailors of a horse and chaise (two-wheeled horse-drawn wagon). . . . — Map (db m124898) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Johnson Chapel / Albee Quarters
The original Johnson Chapel building, located on Church Street in Laurel, was moved in 1947 from the Missionary Baptist Church in Osprey to become the sanctuary for the Johnson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Laurel. Naming the church for their . . . — Map (db m124875) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Laurel Turpentine Company / Blackburn Sawmill Quarters
Laurel Turpentine Company As the turpentine industry spread through southwest Florida, landowners leased turpentine rights to contractors who hired operators for camps that would harvest gum from thousands of acres of pine woods. The Laurel . . . — Map (db m125006) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Shakett Creek / Estuary "the cradle of the ocean"
Shakett Creek The naming of Shakett Creek dates back to the arrival of Jesse Knight's family to Nokomis in the late 1860s. They traveled overland from northeast of Tampa with covered wagons, buggies and mounted horses. When the group reached . . . — Map (db m125018) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Nokomis — Turpentine / Venice Ice House
Turpentine Early in the 20th Century, turpentine camps were established in Nokomis and Venice. Typically black laborers cut a V-shaped “cat face” in the bark of pine trees, from which gum oozed into a clay or tin pot nailed to the . . . — Map (db m124982) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Osprey — Oscar Scherer State Park
Bequeathed by his daughter Elsa Scherer Burrows 1884-1955 in memory of her father 1856-1923 "That man may last, but never lives, who much receives, but nothing gives; whom none can love, - whom none can thank, creation's blot, . . . — Map (db m125017) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Osprey — South Creek Trestle / Oscar Scherer History
South Creek Trestle In early 1900 Seaboard Air Line Railroad (SAL) controlled 2,600 miles of track stretching from Virginia to Florida. In 1911 SAL constructed a 16.5-mile extension from Sarasota (Fruitville Junction) to Venice. The bridge . . . — Map (db m125012) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Palmer Ranch
After her visit to Sarasota in 1910, Mrs. Potter (Bertha) Palmer and family began buying thousands of acres in the region. One large segment extended from their Sarasota-Venice Company's Bee Ridge development south to Laurel. The present 10,000-acre . . . — Map (db m125021) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Railroad History
The railroad came to Venice in 1911 at the request of Mrs. Potter (Bertha) Palmer. The Seaboard Air Line (SAL) Railway extended its line from Fruitville through Bee Ridge, where the Palmer's Sarasota-Venice Company was developing land, to the . . . — Map (db m124900) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Daytona International Speedway
Known as the ”World Center of Racing,” Daytona International Speedway was founded by Bill France Sr. and officially opened its doors in 1959 for the inaugural DAYTONA 500. Thanks to the $400 million redevelopment project dabbed . . . — Map (db m124813) HM
Idaho (Bannock County), Lava Hot Springs — 13 — Lava Hot Springs
Long before white men discovered these springs, Sept. 9, 1812, Indians gathered here to use the free hot water. Except wheen they found hot springs, pre-historic Indians had a hard time getting hot water. The wove watertight baskets into . . . — Map (db m124585) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — 232 — Bancroft's First School
One block west from this site, in 1894, the pioneers of this area erected a school house built of red brick made and kilned by them. It was one room, twenty-five by forty feet. Cuss Erickson laid the brick, first teachers were Edith Townsend and . . . — Map (db m124584) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — Historic Chesterfield
Mormon pioneers settled this area along the Oregon Trail in the 1880s. The town was named Chesterfield because it reminded some of the countryside around Chesterfield, England, and to honor the settlement's founder, Chester Call. A traditional . . . — Map (db m124578) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — 324 — Oregon Trail Campsite
After the arrival of the first settlers of Chesterfield in 1875, covered wagon trains continued to use the Old Oregon Traill of 1846 which passed this point. Tired discouraged and ill, travelers arrived here from early spring to late autumn. Local . . . — Map (db m124580) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — Settlement Along the Trail
The Oregon Trail was not blazed by the first wagon train of emigrants who set out on the journey in 1841. They were following pathways discovered and described by explorers, and mountain men in the early 1800s - pathways traveled for countless years . . . — Map (db m124650) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Bancroft — 263 — The Meeting House
In 1880, several Latter-Day Saint families settled in this valley of the Portneuf, naming the area Chesterfield. Nov. 27, 1883, a branch of the Church was organized with Judson A. Tolman presiding Elder. Labor was donated, lumber came from nearby . . . — Map (db m124581) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Soda Springs — Niels Anderson ---- Mary Christoffersen Anderson
They were born in Denmark; joined the Mormons there. In 1857 Mrs. Anderson arrived at Burlington, Iowa; delayed there until 1859 on account of Johnston's Army, having to be sent to Utah. That year she walked nearly all the way to Salt Lake City. In . . . — Map (db m124649) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Soda Springs — Ruts, Swales and Traces
As many as 350,000 people and tens of thousands of covered wagons traveled the Oregon Trail between 1840 and 1870. Countless feet, hooves, and iron-rimmed wheels cut and compacted the ground, leaving long-lasting traces still visible on many western . . . — Map (db m124577) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Camp Douglas
Named in honor of the late Illinois Senator Stephen A. Douglas, Camp Douglas, established in 1861, was the earliest and largest Union military camp in the Chicago area. The camp stretched from 31st Street to 33rd Place and from Cottage Grove Avenue . . . — Map (db m125027) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Norway Building
The Norway Building stood on this site for the 1893 World's Columbian Exhibition. After the Fair Chicago millionaire C.K. Billings purchased the structure and moved it to his estate in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. William Wrigley of chewing gum fame . . . — Map (db m125028) HM
Kentucky (Grayson County), Leitchfield — Grayson County Korean War Memorial1950-1953
. . . — Map (db m125030) WM
Kentucky (Grayson County), Leitchfield — Grayson County WWI War Memorial
In memory of the men of Grayson County who gave their lives for our freedom. Martin Alvoy, Verna Anderson, Edgar Baker, Oscar Boone, Malcolm Bozarth, Brooks, Andrew Cannon, Miles Dennison, Robert Downs, Willis Duggins, Herbert Givens, Ira Goff, . . . — Map (db m125032) WM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2162 — Schnitzelburg / Dainty
Schnitzelburg

Once part of Germantown, area’s growth occurred after completion of 1891 Goss-Texas Ave. streetcar loop. Part of Alexander Spotswood 1000~acre land grant; region platted 1866 by D.H. Meriwether. Landmarks include Louisville . . . — Map (db m124965) HM

Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), DeRidder — World War II DeRidder Army Air Base Memorial
Erected in memory of United States Army Air Force personnel who lost their lives in training accidents at the DeRidder Army Airport and Gunnery Range, 1942-45. — Map (db m124846) HM
Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), Sugartown — Old Camp Ground CemeteryEstablished in the 1820's
A memorial to the pioneers of Sugartown (early outpost of Southwest Louisiana), whose courage and fortitude helped subdue the historic "Neutral Territory" of the Sabine-Rio Hondo Strip, claimed and contended for by four nations - France, Spain, . . . — Map (db m124845) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Cook Home
Commissioned by William Sherman Cook; built by J. D. Bragg in 1904 1905. Mr. Cook was born in Simcoe Province, Ontario, Canada. He bought this property in 1901, originally a tract of 10 acres bordered by Monroe, Florence, Olive, and Cook Avenue, . . . — Map (db m124896) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Alexandria — Melady HouseCirca 1870, circa 1905
Built by Thomas and Sabina Melady. Original one story house enlarged and remodeled c. 1905 in the Colonial Revival style. Home and about 2,000 acres of land purchased by heir Sabina Garvey Kelley and Grady L. Kelley July 1934. Property then . . . — Map (db m124848) HM
Maine (Kennebec County), Fairfield — Heritage of the Kennebec RiverLe patrimoine de la Rivière Kennebec

The Kennebec River is the largest river in Maine. Originating from Moosehead Lake, the river flows 190 miles through Somerset, Kennebec and Sagadahoc Counties to the Gulf of Maine at Popham Beach. The Kennebec was a primary travel route for . . . — Map (db m125013) HM

Maine (Kennebec County), Fairfield — Heritage of the Kennebec RiverLe patrimoine de la Rivière Kennebec

The Kennebec River is the largest river in Maine. Originating from Moosehead Lake, the river flows 190 miles through Somerset, Kennebec and Sagadahoc Counties to the Gulf of Maine at Popham Beach. The Kennebec was a primary travel route for . . . — Map (db m125019) HM

Maine (Kennebec County), Fairfield — VFW 6924 Veterans Memorial

This Flag of the USA was flown over the US National Support Element In Kabul, Afg[h]anistan on July 17, 2011 In Honor of VFW Post 6924 — Map (db m125048) WM

Maine (Washington County), Calais — Civil War Memorial1861 — 1865

In grateful remembrance of The Men of Calais who upon land or sea hazarded their lives that the nation might be preserved and that government of the people, by the people and for the people should not perish from the earth. . . . — Map (db m125062) WM

Maine (Washington County), Calais — Veterans Memorial

This memorial is dedicated to the men and women of Calais, Maine who served their country to preserve the traditional principles of freedom, justice and way of life in our area — Map (db m125045) WM

Maine (Washington County), Calais — World War II Roll of Honor1941 • 1945

Dedicated to the Veterans of World War II

May their names be honored through the years that unfold

[Honor Roll of Veterans] — Map (db m125068) WM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Fairmount Heights — 72-09-40 Sylvan Vista Baptist Church1103 60th Avenue — Documented Property, Built in 1925
The first service of the Sylvan Baptist Church was held on the first Sunday in July, 1925, under a brush harbor on this site. The church was organized with six Baptist believers in Christ. Deacons Earl Luckett, John Lane, William Lane, Ambrose . . . — Map (db m125050) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — 1st Lt. Joshua L. Booth USMC
“Freedom is not Free” This Bridge Dedicated to 1st Lt. Joshua L. Booth USMC Who was killed in Iraq on October 17th, 2006 Who as a child enjoyed fishing the Quinebaug River from this bridge Who is honored by a grateful . . . — Map (db m124618) WM
Michigan (Iron County), Crystal Falls — July 4th 1661
July 4th 1661 As a matter of conjecture Father Menard somewhere along this river died or was murdered while on his way southward from L’Anse to visit the Menominee Indians — Map (db m125036) HM
Minnesota (Cass County), Whipholt — Sugar Point Battle
When a federal marshal with about 100 troops of the 3rd Infantry tried to arrest the Chippewa Chief Bugonaygeshig at Sugar Point opposite here on the northeast shore of the lake, a sharp fight occurred October 5, 1898. The whites lost 7 killed and . . . — Map (db m124726) HM
Missouri (Franklin County), Washington — The Civil War Comes to Washington
Washington Railroad Depot Burns Confederate General Marmaduke's forces were advancing on Washington as October 1864 approached, with fear and widespread panic among the town's residents. Many citizens crossed the river to evade the advance . . . — Map (db m124371) HM
Missouri (Franklin County), Washington — The Civil War Comes to Washington
The John B. Busch Washington Brewery And Malt House In about 1854 John Baptiste Busch together with his older brother, Henry Busch, and a friend, Fred Gersie, started the Washington Brewery and Malt House at Jefferson and Eighth Street. John . . . — Map (db m125024) HM
Missouri (Independence County), Downtown — Joseph PulitzerApril 10, 1847 - October 29, 1911
Founder of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, publisher of the New York World, donor of the School of Journalism, Columbia University, New York, and the Pulitzer Prizes for the Advancement of American Journalism and Letters. “Passionate devotee . . . — Map (db m124769) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 100 North MainFirst National Bank 1863-1984 — 1911 • First National Bank
In 1886, seventeen-year-old John Adam Schreiber stoked the fire, wound the clock by climbing up and straddling the vault door, filled in for the cashier at lunch, and slept in the bank as the night watchman. He became the bank President in 1922. He . . . — Map (db m124836) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 101 South MainSt. Charles City Hall 1886-1979 • St. Charles County Historical Society — 1886 • City of St. Charles
The city's two-story brick Market House, at this location, had outdoor scales and indoor stalls for selling meat and produce. City office were on the second floor. This building served as city hall from 1886 to 1979. In 1886, the city fathers . . . — Map (db m124833) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 101-103 North MainMeyer's Jewelry • 1834-1866 — 1863 • Ludwig Meyer
Meyer Jewelry was founded in 1834 by Ludwig Meyer, a clockmaker from the Kingdom of Hanover. His family continued in the jewelry business until 1966. During all those years, the clock that Meyer had made in Germany and brought with him aboard the . . . — Map (db m124851) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 104 South MainGatzweiler Building or Cronin Office Building — 1847 • F.W. Gatzweiler · Remodeled 1890
Built by F. W. Gatzweiler and remodeled by his son Charles, this building has been home to such diverse businesses as Union Electric Light and Power, St. Charles Business College, The Cosmos Monitor newspaper office, and Mary Gatzweiler's Elegant . . . — Map (db m124834) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 105-107 North Main StreetH. B. Denker Grocer Company — 1867 • Henry Denker
"Like many of the better people of St Charles County, Henry B. Denker is a native of Hanover." Henry Denker served as Mayor of St. Charles, V.P. of the Union Saving Bank, and President of the St. Charles [Railroad] Car Company; he also owned . . . — Map (db m124852) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 108 South MainJulius Quade and Company • Dealers in Stoves and Tin Ware — Circa 1870 • Frederick Buschmann
Sophia and Julius Quade continued the tin manufactory business that her father, Frederick Buschman, began in 1850. Sophia Quade purchased this property in 1876 for $4309 from her mother who stipulated that the property be "for her [daughters's] . . . — Map (db m124835) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 116-120 South MainPlatz Grocery & Dressmaking — 1863 • John Platz
When John Platz built this building in 1863 for his grocery and his daughter's dressmaking shop, he actually owned only half of his north wall and only half of his south wall. The practice of sharing walls was not usual in St. Charles, and these . . . — Map (db m124831) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 117 South MainOdd Fellows Hall — 1878 • Builder H. C. Bode
The "Queen of Main Street" was built by the Odd Fellows Hall Association in 1878 on the site of the city's former Concert Hall which had been destroyed by a tornado in 1876. Banks were important tenants; they were very visibly the center of the . . . — Map (db m124832) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 119 South MainU.S. Post Office 1909-1964 • St. Charles County Court House 1840-1909 — 1912 • U.S. Postal Service
"The first term of the Court of Common Pleas in and for the District of St. Charles was held on the first Tuesday in January, 1805, in the house of Dr. Antoine Reynal on the site of the present courthouse." The "present" courthouse of . . . — Map (db m124826) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 121-123 North MainSt. Charles Savings Bank • 1910-1961 — Carl Bull and Son, Architect and Builder • 1908
The old three-story brick City Hotel that served the city from 1852-1907 was replaced by the new St. Charles Savings Bank Building in 1908. The bank incorporated in 1867 and continues today as the First State Bank. — Map (db m124853) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 122 North MainSchmidt's Barbershop 1916-1988 — circa 1855 • George Bauman
Before the Civil war, this was the cabinet shop of George Baumann, a young German cabinetmaker. By 1906, it had become the St. Charles Steam Laundry. "Of course a laundry is a washhouse, but when you take into consideration the fact that the St. . . . — Map (db m124854) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 122 South MainMasonic Hall • Gut Saddlery • Elks Building — 1849 • Free and Accepted Masons
Behind this 1914 Art Deco tile and marble facade is one of the oldest buildings on the street, the Masonic Hall. The lodge held its last meeting on July 17, 1861. "About this time [1861], we came under the dark Cloud of War between the North and . . . — Map (db m124830) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 126-130 North MainSt. Charles City Mills • 1851-1885 — Ringe-Barklage & Company, Farm Machinery • 1906-1936
This was the site of one of three flourishing mills on North Main during the second half of the 19th century. St. Charles County produced over a million bushels of wheat in 1879. The old mill was closed in 1896, and the building was rebuilt as a . . . — Map (db m124855) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 130 South MainHunting Dry Goods & Goebel Photography Gallery — Circa 1855 • H. C. Easton
In the 1860s, A. R. Huning's Dry Goods store occupied the street level of this shop, and Goebel's Photography occupied the second floor. Rudolph Henry Goebel, a German immigrant, photographed St. Charles and her citizens from 1856 to 1916. In . . . — Map (db m124829) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 136 South MainGut Building/Post Office 1900-09 • Cosmos Building 1886 — 1882 • Frederick Gut
An earlier two-story structure, known as the Old Benne Building built by Joseph C. Easton circa 1840, was replaced by this building in 1882. The new Second Empire /Italianate building with its parade balcony and bracketed cornices and pediments was . . . — Map (db m124825) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 142 North MainLinnemann Hardware & Farm Implements • Weil Shoe Mart • Braufman's Clothing • 1941-1970 — 1862 • August Marten
A river ferry operated from the east bank of this block in the early 19th century. In order for a man to claim the lost whiskey in an 1820 advertisement, he had to prove ownership and pay the ferryman for the ad, "Found: Barrel of Whiskey, Chauvin's . . . — Map (db m124859) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 147 North MainThe Palace Clothing Co. • 1902-1980 — 1925 • Emil Weil
Emil Weil bought two brick buildings on this site that were joined with a common wall that separated a tailor shop from a meat market. When Weil raised the old buildings to rebuild, he kept the functionality of the common wall, which separated his . . . — Map (db m124856) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 201-203 North MainThe Oberkoetter Building — 1867 • Francis Oberkoetter
Francis Oberkoetter, a prosperous shoe manufacturer from Hanover, Germany, built this Italianate "Oberkoetter Business House" building in 1867. His son-in-law operated the Mackenzie Hotel and Dining Room on the second floor. After becoming owner of . . . — Map (db m124857) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 208 North MainShulze Plumbing • 1906-1941 — 1906 • Albert Runge
"John Schulze, Sanitary Plumber: Plumbing, Gas-fitting, and Sewering, Hot water heating for dwelling houses a specialty." St. Charles City Directory, 1912. John Schulze did plumbing work to modernize St. Charles including sewering & . . . — Map (db m124860) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 212 North MainSt. Charles Gas Company • 1941-1989 — 1906 • Frank Bezzenberger
The St. Charles Lighting Company was organized in 1871. By the next year, it had doubled its business, burning 10,000 bushels of gas-grade coal to supply 135 private customers and 59 city street lamps. "Do not think for one minute that gas is a . . . — Map (db m124861) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 213 North MainCharles E Meyer Drugs • 1899-1961 — 1880 • J. H. & W. A. Bode
Over the years, this Italianate building was home to The Demokrat, a German language newspaper; the Gustave Hucker Bakery; and the Charles E. Meyer Pharmacy and Ice Cream Parlor. J. H. and W. A. Bode, who owned The Demokrat from 1864 to 1916, . . . — Map (db m124862) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 215 North MainBell Telephone Office • 1909-1957 — 1866 • Valentine Zerr
German shoemaker Valentine Zerr leased this building to the Bell Telephone Co. for $40 per month from 1909 to 1928. Local and long-distance calls were connected manually on the switchboard. Operators were required to have a good voice and good . . . — Map (db m124863) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 218 North MainA. R. Hunings Dry Goods Co. • 1868-1928 — 1863 • Herman Mallinckrodt
Dr. Albin Morgner rented this former three-story building to his son-in-law A. R. Huning for $1100 a year. Huning Dry Goods operated continuously in St. Charles on North Main Street from 1860 until 1998. In the late 1940's and 1950's this . . . — Map (db m124869) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 219 North MainThe Hub Clothing • 1916-1980 — 1879 • Henry Pfeiffer
The decorative facade, with elaborate stone window surrounds and stone quoining, invites comparison to the fancy sugar pastries and candies sold here from 1879 to 1909 by Henry Pfeiffer, a confectioner from Braunschweig, Germany. Henry . . . — Map (db m124864) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 220-226 North MainCentral Grain Mill • 1866-1893 — The Central Building • 1906 • William H. Rechtern
This 1906 Renaissance Revival building with its Italianate pressed metal ornamentation at the windows and cornice replaced the burned out Central Mill built in 1866 and the old Constitutional Presbyterian Church built in 1845. Rechtern bought the . . . — Map (db m124868) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 223-225 North MainAhmann News 1929-1988 — circa 1865 · Remodeled 1934 • Frank F. Ahmann
Ahmann's Newsstand and the Quality Hat Shop shared this double-front building in 1903. The Craftsman/Art Deco yellow glazed brick facade was added in 1934 when the newsstand expanded. The building may date to 1865. — Map (db m124865) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 227-229 North MainThe Hoffman House Hotel • Thro Clothing Co. — 1863 • George Ochri
Thro & Company Clothing, formerly a 137 N. Main (shown above), has been owned and managed by the Thro family since 1898 when Jean Baptiste Thro, Sr., and his nephew Jean Baptist Thro, Jr., founded the clothing store. J.D. Thro, Senior's Unlce . . . — Map (db m124866) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 230 North MainSchubert Music/St. Charles Music Co. 1906-1935 • Walters Jewelry 1935- — 1878 • S.H. Merten & Company
This Italianate building with elaborate wood bracketed cornices has been described as a "structure unsurpassed in the quality of dignity." It has been home to Walter's Jewelry since 1935. From 1906 until 1935, Edward Schubert, pianist, composer and . . . — Map (db m124867) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 302-306 North MainElectric Theatre • 1908 — 1871 • Charles Hug
"Mr. Murry, the melodious and congenial proprietor of the Electric, has spared no time or money to make the Electric a place of entertainment and amusement to all who would kill time and troubles in a most enjoyable manner." One popular movie . . . — Map (db m124872) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 308 North MainMerten Cash Store — 1898 • Silas H. Wright
Longtime tobacco man, North Carolinian Silas Wright, owned the St. Charles Tobacco Company. By 1900, tobacco manufacturing had become a science. Wright flavored his company's plug and twist tobacco with licorice and other spices. Built in 1898 . . . — Map (db m124873) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 311 North MainJ. N. Mittelberger Dry Goods • St. Charles Opera House — 1881 • J. C. & J. N. Mittelberger
The railroad brought touring companies including vaudeville shows, to the opera houses of America. The 1902 production of Uncle Tom's Cabin required two sixty-five foot special cars for the lavish sets and costumes. Tickets were twenty-five, . . . — Map (db m124874) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 319 North MainBrocker Wallpaper & Paint — 1875 • Gustave Johannpeter
Henry Brocker was a house decorator, sign painter, and artist from Prussia. He specialized not only in wallpapering, but also graining, a technique that imitated expensive wood, and calcimining, a special whitewash for plastered ceilings. Brocker . . . — Map (db m124876) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 323 & 329 North MainSt. Charles Coal & Ice — 1890 • Bettie Miller
In 1909, the St. Charles Coal & Ice Company made and delivered "artificial ice" for twenty-five to forty cents per hundredweight. If the customer "desired heat instead of cold," they delivered coal for three dollars a ton. Residents of . . . — Map (db m124877) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 324 North MainKuhlmann's Cash Store — 1892 • John Atkinson
The pantaloon skirt on display in the window created a crowd. Bloomers, introduced in the 1850s, were loose fitting trousers worn by women under a mid-calf length skirt. Pantaloons, introduced at the turn of the century, were worn without skirts, . . . — Map (db m124878) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 330 North MainDemokrat Building 1889-1916 • Light & Power Office 1916-1925 — 1893 • J. H. Bode
The first coal-powered incandescent light company in St. Charles started operation in 1894. Service was available evenings and nights only. Who needed electric lights during the day? Eventually, daytime service was made available so that customers . . . — Map (db m124882) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 334 North MainGruenberg Saloon — 1875 • John B. Schutten
When Bavarian brewmaster Jacob Moerschel owned this building, he rented it out as a saloon. Moerschel's White Pearl muenchner, and lager and beers were served, "manufactured directly therefrom the coolness and clearness of the nectar of the . . . — Map (db m124879) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 340 North MainGalt House Hostel • 1864-1940's — 1863 • Henry Angert, Sr.
Many hotels opened and closed in St. Charles during the railroad boom of the 1870s and 1880s. the Galt Hotel and saloon survived the railroad boom, Prohibition, the Great Depression, a tornado, and a runaway railroad car. — Map (db m124880) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 343 North MainWhite Elephant Saloon — 1863 • Frank Flohr
Highway bridge construction in 1903 and 1904 was delayed by ice, flood, a river current change, misrouted iron shipments, and a suit for damages filed by the owners of the three buildings on respective corners of North Main and Adams Streets. Dr. J. . . . — Map (db m124881) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 437 North Maincirca 1900
During Prohibition, Moses Bowlen O'Bannon rented the two-story brick Green Tree Tavern from former brewer Charles Schibi. O'Bannon sold soft drinks and had a license to operate two billiard tables from 1921 until 1930. O'Bannon born in 1873, the son . . . — Map (db m124883) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — 921 South Riverside Drive
[Top plaque:] This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior circa 1769 [Bottom plaque:] A Designated Historic Landmark . . . — Map (db m124809) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Boone's Lick TrailCovered Wagon - circle 1820-1860 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
A variety of wagons used the trails during the westward migration. The Conestoga wagon was the most durable. It was built in the Pennsylvania Valley between 1750-1840. Prairie schooners and covered farm wagons were also used, pulled by horses, oxen . . . — Map (db m124888) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Edward Paule Home124 Boone's Licke - buit 1865 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
Mr. and Mrs. Edward Paule managed the Western House hotel at Boone's Licke and South Main. This was their first home. Edward Paule was the proprietor of the Monroe House, a boarding house and saloon at Third and Chauncey. He also served as mayor of . . . — Map (db m124806) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Ezra Overall House406 Boone's Lick - circa 1864 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
Ezra Overall owned this property and may have built this home. He was a local attorney and land speculator, selling dozens of properties. He sold this property to Frederick Maerklin. This building is a good example of a "single German" one story . . . — Map (db m124804) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Farmer's Homecirca 1805 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
Named Farmer's Tavern by innkeeper John Frazier on premises originally owned by Alexander McNair, first Governor of Missouri who had a 27 vat tannery at rear of property. Popular hostelry favored by early legislators and officials when St. Charles . . . — Map (db m124816) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — First Methodist ChurchHistoric Marker — St. Charles, Missouri
Oldest existing brick church north of the Missouri River. Built of hand-made bricks with walls 18 inches thick. Records establish that Mrs. Catherine Collier built this church in 1831. It was used by her Methodist Episcopal Congregation . . . — Map (db m124887) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Glenday/Zeisler HomeBuilt circa 1820 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
This building was erected by Peter Glenday from Scotland. Jacob Zeisler, a German immigrant, made this his residence in 1867. Jacob was the proprietor of a successful soda water factory which occupied the two buildings directly behind this one. . . . — Map (db m124817) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — History of 426 South Main Street
Joseph Chancellier arrived with the first settlers of St Louis in 1764. He laid claim to property along St Charles riverfront and then orally conveyed it to the Roman Catholic Church in the 1780's. In May 1804, Lewis and Clark visited "this . . . — Map (db m124819) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Home of Dr. Jeremiah Millingtonbuilt circa 1820 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
Served as first duly appointed Postmaster during the time that St. Charles was the State Capitol and performed his postal duties from here. Jeremiah and his brother Seth were joint owners in a botanical garden west of the city. They manufactured and . . . — Map (db m124820) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Home of Seth Millington
Built in 1808. Celia Ann French, Dr. Millington's niece married Elijah Lovejoy, first martyr of the free press in the United States. He was almost lynched here but escaped to Alton, Ill. Was murdered there in 1837. — Map (db m124824) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Missouri1821-1921
"Nor North, nor South, nor East, nor West But part of each, of each the best" Upon this block number twenty was located the headquarters of the two Spanish commandants for thee District of St. Charles. Louis Blanchette . . . — Map (db m124810) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Secretary of State William Grymes Pettus
Secretary of State William Grymes Pettus occupied this building during the period of Missouri's first General Assembly. — Map (db m124823) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Stone Building / Brick BuildingHistoric Marker — St. Charles, Missouri
Stone Building circa 1820 Residence and business of Sir Walter Rice, served at various times as County Surveyor, Recorder of Deeds, Justice of the Peace and Postmaster. Brick Building circa 1848 Original site of frame . . . — Map (db m124821) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — Stone Rowcirca 1820 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
The Burlington stone used to construct these buildings was quarried from within this city block. Built by Thomas Lindsey, a founder of the first Presbyterian church in St. Charles. — Map (db m124822) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — The Mother-in-Law House
The Mother-in Law House First brick double house built 1866 — Map (db m124818) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — The Plank RoadChartered February 27, 1851 — Historic Marker, St. Charles, Missouri
The beginning point of the "Western Plank Road," a toll road of two bits (25 cents) per person, extended nine miles to Cottleville, connecting with Boone's Lick Road. Stagecoaches left from St. Charles here at the Boone's Lick Trading Post circa . . . — Map (db m124885) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), St. Charles — The Trail to Fort OsageEastern Trailhead — Established August 25, 1808
The overland route linking St. Charles with the future sight of Fort Osage in present-day Jackson County was likely the earliest trail used by American settlers heading west. On its eastern end the trail passed in the vicinity of the later towns of . . . — Map (db m124814) HM
Missouri (St. Charles County), Wentzville — Wentzville Vietnam Veterans Memorial
"Whither Thou Goest I Will Go." Ruth. 1:16 December 1967 — Map (db m124347) HM
Missouri (St. Louis), Marine Villa — L — Settlers' HomesCherokee-Lemp Historic District
During the mid 19th century, German pioneers settling the open land south of St. Louis built homes in the style of this pair of houses, 1936 and 1938 Cherokee. Often they were built as farm houses. As the farm land evolved into the urban . . . — Map (db m124510) HM
Missouri (St. Louis), St Louis — 2621-2623 Cherokee StreetCherokee Livery
This building, originally known as "Cherokee Livery", was constructed in 1893 for undertaker Paul Buol. The original facade consisted of two large segmental arched bays enclosed with double doors for horse and carriage access. The second story . . . — Map (db m124466) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 1959 CherokeeThe Gilded Age — Cherokee-Lemp Historic District
St. Louisans were taking up the new American pastime of bicycling when this storefront was built in 1888. They were reading Walt Whitman's poems in the Leaves of Grass and learning about Theodore Roosevelt's western experiences in Ranch . . . — Map (db m124509) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2008 CherokeeHard Times - 1933 — Cherokee-Lemp Historic District
One-third of the American workforce was unemployed. In January of 1933, anxiety about the economy led to panicked withdrawals from the banks. The anxiety grew into frenzy, and the withdrawals turned into a run on the banks. Banks all over St. Louis . . . — Map (db m124506) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2014 CherokeeMoving Picture Tent — Cherokee-Lemp Historic District
There were 10,000 moving picture theaters in the United States in 1909. Half of Americans attended a movie at least once each week, and in some places Americans would pay as much as ten cents admission to see this new form of entertainment. . . . — Map (db m124505) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2201 CherokeeCherokee-Lemp Historic District
Dr. Richard Kring moved his medical office and pharmacy to this building in 1930. While Kring, who had lived and worked for years in the Soulard neighborhood, was the American-born son of German immigrants, many of his neighbors on Cherokee Street . . . — Map (db m124502) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2215 CherokeeThey Left Their Mark — Cherokee-Lemp Historic District
August Hoffman built this handsome, two and a half story town house in 1893. The 45 year-old German immigrant was a bookbinder by profession. He was one of the many tradesmen who took great care to build well designed and crafted homes in South St. . . . — Map (db m124486) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2225 CherokeeGerman Bakers — Cherokee-Lemp Historic District
The United States was expanding, with the new states of North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington and Montana admitted to the Union in 1889. That year, German immigrant George Jost was constructing this combination of storefronts and apartments. Only . . . — Map (db m124477) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2301 CherokeeGerman Butcher — Cherokee-Lemp Historic District
Following the Civil War, German teenager Charles Zimmermann came to America. He settled in St. Louis and learned the trade of a butcher. In 1881, Zimmerman built a small combination home and store on this block. Though the estimated cost of . . . — Map (db m124476) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2315-17 CherokeeThe Roaring Twenties — Cherokee-Lemp Historic District
It was the Roaring Twenties--with a roller coaster economy, women's skirts getting shorter and shorter, Prohibition was the law, but illegal booze could be found on almost every block -- when these storefronts at 2315-2319 Cherokee were constructed. . . . — Map (db m124470) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2638-2642 Cherokee StreetThe Rathert Building
The double lot where this building sits was purchased July 5, 1867 by Dorothea Rathert from Henry Lipphardt. Rathert occupied a dwelling situated at the rear of the double lot before the present building was constructed. Previous to ordinances . . . — Map (db m124465) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2639-2641 Cherokee StreetThe Vandora Theater
The Vandora Theater was built in 1909 by the Vandora Amusement Company, and designed by architect Otto J. Boehmer. Boehmer, who was born in Warren County, Missouri in 1858, started his career at the building firm of Joseph B. Goesse & Frederick J. . . . — Map (db m124464) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — 2646 Cherokee StreetMamroth's Tailor Shop
The original building constructed as a dwelling circa 1883, received several layers of additions as the years progressed. The Bogard family first inhabited the home and lived at this address for over twenty years. Musical instrument manufacture, . . . — Map (db m124462) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — K — At Home On CherokeeCherokee-Lemp Historic District
This townhouse is typical of homes built in working-class neighborhoods during the 1880's. It is tall, narrow and features the then popular mansard roof. The foundation is roughcut stone and the facade is smooth brick with eyebrow arches over the . . . — Map (db m124507) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — T — Bardenheier RowCherokee-Lemp Historic District
This row of five almost identical homes was built in 1884 as investment property by German immigrant Philip Bardenheier. These working-class city houses featured recessed entrances, fully arched doorways and first floor windows. Originally, all five . . . — Map (db m124487) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — Bob PettitBorn December 12, 1932
Basketball legend Bob Pettit came to St. Louis with the Hawks in 1955. The ideal power forward, he averaged 26.4 points and 16.2 rebounds per game for his career. Pettit led the Hawks to the NBA Finals four times in five years, and in the 1958 . . . — Map (db m124798) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — Calle Cherokee
Resolution Adopted by the Board of Aldermen of the City of St. Louis on September 17, 2017 Whereas, in honor of over 40 years of the Hispanic/Latino cultural economic contributions to the revitalization of Cherokee Street and the . . . — Map (db m124614) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — Cedric the EntertainerBorn April 24, 1964
Berkeley High graduate Cedric "The Entertainer" Kyles first performed stand-up comedy at a St. Louis open mic night. His television career began as host of BET's "Comic View" and as co-star of the #1 ranked sitcom "The Steve Harvey Show," for which . . . — Map (db m124795) HM

528 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 328
Paid Advertisement