Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

610 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 410
 
Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, July 4, 2018
Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl and Marker
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl
German: Der "neue" Hof war im 15. Jahrhundert die Residenz von Herzog Friedrich IV. "mit der leeren Tasche" und Sigmund "dem Münzreichen". Den mit 2657 feuervergoldeten Kupferschindeln gedeckten spätgotischen Prunkerker ließ . . . — Map (db m126003) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Historisches Rathaus
German: 1358 errichtet, erfuhr das Gebäude im Laufe der Zeit mehrere bauliche Veränderungen. Es diente bis 1897 als Sitz des Magistrats. Im Erdgeschoß befanden sich eine Kaufhalle und die Brotbank, im ersten Stock waren die . . . — Map (db m126004) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — HölblinghausHerzog-Friedrich-Straße 10
German: Dieses gotische Bürgerhaus des 15. Jahrhunderts erhielt vermutlich von dem um 1723 nach Innsbruck übersiedelten Stuchateur Anton Gigl aus Wessobrunn seine üppige barocke Fassade. Der Name des Hauses geht auf Sebastain . . . — Map (db m125996) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Prechthaus
German: Das Prechthaus stammt aus dem 15. Jahrhundert und wurde um 1540 unter Dr. Basilius Precht durch Gregor Türing umgebaut. 1588 erwarb es Hofkanzler Dr. Justinian Moser, im 17. Jahrhundert war es im Besitz der Grafen . . . — Map (db m126005) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Triumphpforte
German: Die nach alter Tradition der Begrüßungspforten urbaute Ehrenpforte wurde im Jahre 1765 anlässlich der Hochzeit des späteren Kaisers Leopold II. mit der spanischen Infantin Maria Ludovica aus Steinen des Vorstadttores . . . — Map (db m126011) HM
Ontario, Smiths Falls — Crossroads of the Rideau / À la croisée des chemins

Canal, rail and highway converge at Smiths Falls, the crossroads of the Rideau corridor. Each means of transport, built in turn, changed the face of the town, the Rideau River, and this lockstation. Canal construction first transformed the . . . — Map (db m125889) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — 100e anniversaire de l'église Notre-Dame-des-Neiges100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Snows Church — 1887 - 1987

Hommage aux fondateurs

Architecte: David Ouellet Constructeurs: Augustin Audet • Hubert Morin

Cures: Desire Vezina Ptre Damase Morisset Ptre

Monument erige a l'occasion du centenaire de la construction de . . . — Map (db m126127) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Le Cheval Noir / The Black Horse

Une œuvre de l'artiste-sculpteur Michael Bergstaller

Haute de 5 mètres, cette sculpture est composée de tiges et de plaques d'acier ancrées sur un radier de béton armé. Cabré sur ses pattes arrière, le Cheval Noir s'éloigne . . . — Map (db m126126) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Les magasins Rioux / The Rioux Shopsrue Notre-Dame Ouest

Une véritable tradition commerciale a pris racine dans ce secteur des Trois-Pistoles. L'avènement du Chemin du Roi et le déplacement du centre nerveux de toute l'activité pistoloise de la fin du XVIIIe siècle ont fait . . . — Map (db m125875) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'île-aux-Basques / Isle of the Basques

Sur L'île aux Basques, on voit encore les vestiges de fourneaux construits par les Basques. Le Père Nouvel et ses néophytes papinachois se retirèrent sur l'île aux Basques, en 1666, pour se protéger contre les . . . — Map (db m126165) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'Institutionnel Église - Couvent - PresbytèreThe Institution of Church - Convent - Rectory

L'église des Trois-Pistoles, ce temple, ce monument. Elle est, sous plus d'un chapitre, l'histoire même du milieu, nous rappelant le grand déplacement de la communauté « d'en-bas vers en-haut » et l'avènement d'une période . . . — Map (db m126088) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 14 — Le couvent du Saint-Rosaire / The Saint-Rosaire Convent

Le promoteur

À son arrivée à L'Isle-Verte, en 1920, le chanoine J.-Alphonse Verreau (devenu Monseigneur en 1928) trouve l'école du village et le troisième presbytère dans un état lamentable. C'est alors qu'il prononce ces . . . — Map (db m125843) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 13 — L'Église / The Church

On appelle plutôt "chapelle" notre première église tellement elle était petite. Bâtie entre 1723 et 1738, elle était située sur la terre donnée à l'Église par le premier seigneur Côté. La seconde fut construite de 1798 à 1800, près de . . . — Map (db m125872) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — CJFP

Hommage a Jean-Francois Pouliot

avril 1947

[English translation]

Tribute to Jean-Francois Pouliot

April 1947 — Map (db m125764) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — 1 — Hôtel de Ville / City Hall

L'hôtel de ville a été construit sur les anciennes fondations du Marché public, érigé en 1902 et incendié en 1910. On y retrouve des magasins au rez-de-chaussée et une salle de théâtre à l'étage. C'est l'ingénieur civil Georges Ouimet qui signe . . . — Map (db m125739) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — L'Hôtel de ville de Rivière-du-LoupCent ans de fierté • 1917-2017

Un premier hôtel de ville à Fraserville

Le chantier pour la construction de l'hôtel de ville débute au printemps 1902 et l'ouverture officielle a lieu un an plus tard, à Pâques, le dimanche 12 avril 1903. La première séance . . . — Map (db m125768) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — In Memory of Dan Uzan
יזכור

Til minde om Dan Uzan

På dette sted blev Dan Uzan, 37 år, myrdet af en terrorist den 15. februar 2015, mens han beskyttede gæster i Det Jødiske Hus. Ondskab kan alene overvindes . . . — Map (db m125940) HM

Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Church of the Holy Apostles (ca. A.D. 1000)
ΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΝ ΑΓΙΟΝ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΩΝ (περίπου 1000 μ.Χ.) (Text in Greek on the left side. To read . . . — Map (db m126138) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Odeion of Agrippa and Gymnasium or "Palace of the Giants"
ΩΛΕΙΟ ΤΟΥ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΚΑΙ ΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟ Ή "ΑΝΑΚΤΟΡΟ ΤΩΝ . . . — Map (db m126134) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Stoa of Attalos (159-138 B.C.)
ΣΤΟΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΤΤΑΛΟΥ (156-138 π.X.) (Text in Greek on the left side) English: The Stoa, on the east side of the Ancient Agora, was the gift of Attalos . . . — Map (db m126105) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of Apollo Patroos, Temple of Zeus Pharatrios and Athena Phratria, Benches or "Synedrion"
ΝΑΟΣ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΟΣ ΠΑΤΡΩΟΥ. ΝΑΟΣ ΔΙΟΣ ΦΡΑΤΡΙΟΥ ΚΑΙ . . . — Map (db m126136) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of HephaistosΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΟΥ — (ca. 460-415 BC)/(περ 460-415 π.Χ.)
A Doric peripteral temple, with pronaos (fore-temple), cella (inner shrine), and opisthonaos (rear wing), the best preserved of its type in the Greek world. The facade of the pronaos and opisthonaos, to the east and west, . . . — Map (db m126052) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Ancient Street of the Tripods - The Lysikrates Choregic Monument
ΑΡΧΑΙΑ ΟΔΟΣ ΤΡΙΠΟΔΩΝ - ΧΟΡΗΓΙΚΟ ΜΝΗΜΕΙΟ . . . — Map (db m126106) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The archaeological excavation
Η αρχαιολογική αναδκαφή (Text in Greek above. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The remains of a neighborhood . . . — Map (db m126107) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Area South of the Ancient Agora
Η ΠΕΡΙΟΧΜ ΝΟΤΙΩΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it . . . — Map (db m126109) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The East Side of the Ancient Agora and the Stoa of Attalos
Η ΑΝΑΤΟΛΙΚΗ ΠΛΕΥΡΑ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ Η ΣΤΟΑ . . . — Map (db m126133) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The House on Panos StreetMan and Tools — Aspects of Labour in the Pre-Industrial World
The house at 22 Panos Street is a two-storey house, with a simple, traditional architecture, built at the beginning of the 19th century. The building has a ground (entrance) floor and an upper storey. It was restored by the Ministry of Culture, in . . . — Map (db m126065) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Library of Pantainos
H ΒΙΒΛΙΟΘΗΚΗ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΝΤΑΙΝΟΥ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The . . . — Map (db m126111) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Water ClockΚΛΕΨΥΔΡΑ
This monumental water clock was constructed at the end of the 4th cent. B.C. in a prominent location at the southwest corner of there Agora square, on the street leading from the Agora up to the Pnyx. Water was drawn by a stone drain. The device was . . . — Map (db m126058) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — Monuments of the Sacred WayMNHMEIA THΣ IEPAΣ OΔOY — Monuments de la Voie Sacrée
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Within . . . — Map (db m126255) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Archaeological Site of DelphiAPXAIOΛOΓIKOΣ XΩPOΣ ΔEΛΦΩN
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (too) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The archaeological site of Delphi . . . — Map (db m126248) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Cemeteries of DelphiTA NEKPOTAΦEIA ΔEΛΦΩN — Les Cimetirères de Delphes
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126247) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The HalosH ΠEPIOXH THΣ AΛΩ — L'aire
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126318) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The NavelOMΦAΛOΣ — Le Nombril
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126317) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Sanctuary of ApolloTO IEPO TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Sanctuaire d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126249) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Treasury of the Sikyonians and SiphniansΘHΣAYPOI ΣIKYΩNIΩN KAI ΣIΦNIΩN — Les Trésors des Sicyoniens et des Siphniens
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126264) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou(The Dormition of the Virgin Mary) — or Panagia of Agion Theodoron
On the site where the church now stands, there were initially two small cave churches dedicated to Agios Theodoros (St. Theodore) and Our Lady, which are mentioned in a will from 1641 and a report from 1642 by the inspector of the Catholic Bishopic . . . — Map (db m126050) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos
This church is located on the verge of the cliffs of Fira, clinging to the edge of the caldera. It is first mentioned in a list of Santorini churches, compiled in 1757 by the Catholic Archbishop of Naxos Pietro Martire de Stefani. The church . . . — Map (db m126051) HM
Israel, Lower Galilee Regional Council, Arbel — Arbel Ancient Synagogue /Beautiful ruins of an ancient synagogue from the 4th century BCE. — בית הכנסת העתיק
The synagogue was discovered in 1905 by H. Kohl and C. Waltzinger.

It is a square building belonging to the Galilean type of synagogue with a number of special components:

• The main entrance in the eastern wall. • The niche for holy . . . — Map (db m126103) HM

Italy, South Tyrol (Castelrotto), Bulla Pufels — The Watermills of Bulla
Historical documents going back to 1288 already testify to the existence of various farms in Bulla. The farming community of those days definitely recognized the importance of hydraulic energy to grind grain. In fact, an entry in the land registry . . . — Map (db m126013) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — "Paris" Pharmacy
. . . — Map (db m125970) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 50th Anniversary of the Treaty of Tlatelolco
50 Aniversario del Tratado de Tlatelolco Aquí en Tlatelolco fue abierto a firma el 14 de febrero de 1967 el primer tratado internacional, en un área densamente poblada, que prohíbe la armas nucleares. Los 33 paises de Latinoamérica y . . . — Map (db m125747) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Location of Scenes from Spectre
Este edificio se uso como locación para escenas de la película: Spectre James Bond 007 Esteralizada por Daniel Craig Dirigida por: Sam Mendez Marzo de 2015 English translation: This building was used . . . — Map (db m125749) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — 17th Century Entryway
Portada del Siglo XVII Esta sencilla portada lateral, corresponde a la primera etapa constructiva del templo de San Francisco Javier (1670-1682). Sobre el entablamento, se destaca un nicho que alberga la imagen de San Ignacio de . . . — Map (db m125830) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Atrium of the Olives
Atrio de los olivos La fisonomía del atrio ha variado a través de los siglos, la parroquia de San Pedro fue remozada por los jesuitas en 1618 y muy probablemente también el atrio. Su traza actual de estilo barroco, se realizó en 1750, . . . — Map (db m125822) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Camino Real de Tierra AdentroThe Royal Inland Road
Camino Real de Tierra Adentro ha sido inscrito en la Lista del Patrimonio Mundial en virtud de la Convención para la Protección del Patrimonio Mundial Cultural y Natural. La inscripción en esta Lista consagra el Valor Universal . . . — Map (db m125864) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Old Jesuit School of San MartínHerencia Otomí
Antiguo Colegio Jesuita de San Martín Tepotzotlán es uno de los poblados indígenas más antiguos de la región, se sabe que la presencia de grupos prehispánicos se remonta al siglo XII y que la conquista espiritual del territorio inició . . . — Map (db m125916) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Principal Facade of the San Francisco Javier Church
Fachada Principal de la Iglesia de San Francisco Javier La fachada y la torre, ejemplos sobresalientes del barroco estípite del siglo XVIII (churrigueresco mexicano), fueron construidas de 1760 a 1762. La actual fachada se trabajó . . . — Map (db m125863) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — The Cloister of San Francisco JavierHerencia Otomí
Claustro de San Francisco Javier El centro de Tepotzotlán está coronado por dos auténticas joyas de la arquitectura novohispana: el templo y claustro de San Francisco Javier, obras maestras del estilo churrigueresco que se desarrolló . . . — Map (db m125763) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — The Royal Inland Road at Tepotzotlán
Camino Real de Tierra Adentro El llamado “Camino Real de Tierra Adentro” es un proyecto cultural que inició el Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia, INAH, en colaboración con los gobiernos estatales involucrados y . . . — Map (db m125771) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — El Marqués Cultural Center
Casa de Cultura 1874 Inicialmente fue una casa particular construida por Don Francisco Amaya Avendaño para su hermano Mariano. Durante una época en éste inmueble se vendían tortas y se servían bebidas refrescantes. Durante las visitas . . . — Map (db m126099) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — Pan Dulce Monument
Parador Territorial o Pan Dulce Considerado Monumento Histórico, que conmemora el encuentro entre españoles e indígenas en la región. Este emblemático lugar sirvió como punto de encuentro y recepción, donde las tribus visitantes . . . — Map (db m126022) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Foundation of La Cañada
Fundación La Cañada, El Marqués Don Fernando de Tapia regreso al mando de quinientos hombres de arco y flecha al pueblo que en el año de 1521 había fundado cuando se le conocía como Conni y con grupos provenientes de Xilotepec . . . — Map (db m126063) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Small ChurchLa Iglesia Chiquita
Iglesia Chiquita La más Antigua de Querétaro -1529- El español Don Hernando Pérez de Bocanegra comisionó edificar el primer templo a la redonda para iniciar con la evangelización. En abril de 1531 se celebró en La Cañada, la primera . . . — Map (db m126023) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Temple and Convent of Santa Cruz
Templo y convento de la Santa Cruz Construidos entre 1649 y 1654 por la Orden Franciscana, se encuentran en la cumbre del cerro de Sangremal, donde solía existir una antigua ermita a principios del siglo XVI. En 1683 aquí se . . . — Map (db m125935) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Chameleon Fountain
Fuente del Camaleón Formó parte del sistema de distribución de agua limpia con el que contó la ciudad a partir del siglo XVIII; fue inaugurada el año de 1908 en el Barrio de la Otra Banda, a cuyos vecinos benefició hasta la segunda . . . — Map (db m125917) HM
Panama, Panamá (District of Panamá) — General Tomás Herrera
El Presidente Augusto B. Leguia, a nombre del Peru, ofrece como homenaje de admiración al General Tomás Herrera, y para que sea colocada al pie de la estatua de se le erige, un puñado de tierra de Ayacucho, campo inmortal donde se . . . — Map (db m126295) HM WM
The Bahamas, New Providence, Nassau — Fort FincastleBahamas Historical Site
Fort Fincastle was built in 1793 by Lord Dunmore, a Royal Governor (1787-1796), whose second title was Viscount Fincastle. This fort shaped like an old paddle wheel steamer, was built to protect the city from invasion but saw little action. It . . . — Map (db m125664) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Alfred Robert Tucker
Alfred Robert Tucker Curate of St. Nicholas Durham 1885 – 1899 3rd Bishop E.Eq. Africa 1890 – 1899 1st Bishop of Uganda 1899 – 1911 Canon of Durham 1911 – 1914 Born 1 April 1849 Died 15 June 1914 I . . . — Map (db m126288) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses
Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses 1666 Replacing Bishop Langley’s Song and Grammar Schools 1414 1923   1973 — Map (db m126286) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Library
Bishop Cosin’s Library 1669 Entrusted To The University 1935 1923   1973 — Map (db m126291) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Charles William Vane Stewart
Charles William Vane Stewart 3rd Marquis of Londonderry Earl Vane and Baron Stewart Of Stewarts Court K.C. G.C.B. Lord Lieutenant County of Durham And Founder of Seaham Harbour General in the Army Born May 8th 1778 Died March 6th 1854 . . . — Map (db m126168) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Durham Light Infantry Boer War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m126287) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — For ValourDurham Light Infantry
Durham Light Infantry For Valour Pte. J. Byrne, D.C.M.   Crimea 1854 Capt. T. de Courcy Hamilton.   Crimea 1855 Sgt. J. Murray.   New Zealand 1864 Pte. T. Kenny.   France 1915 Lt. Col. R.B. Bradford. M.C.   France 1916 Pte. M.W. . . . — Map (db m126173) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Former Exchequer
Former Exchequer And Chancery of The Palatinate Built for Bishop Neville (1438 – 57) 1923   1973 — Map (db m126293) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — George William Kitchin
George William Kitchin Dean of Winchester 1883   1894 Dean of Durham 1894   1912 First Chancellor of Durham University Born Dec 7 · 1827 Died Oct 13 · 1912 — Map (db m126289) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Neptune
Neptune This statue was given to the City in 1729 by George Bowes M.P. of Gibside and Streatlam as a symbol of the scheme to link Durham to the sea by improved navigation of the River Wear. It stood on top of the Market Place wellheads . . . — Map (db m126170) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Old Registry
Old Registry County Court House on this Site 1588 – 1811 Rebuilt as Diocesan Registry 1822 Passed to Union Society 1935 And to University Library 1978 — Map (db m126290) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — The Durham Light Infantry
1758     1968 The Durham Light Infantry Dedicated to All Who Served in the Regiment And in Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives In the Cause of Freedom Faithful ( side plaque ) The Regiment’s long connection with County . . . — Map (db m126171) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 25pr Mk II Saluting Gun
25pr Mk II Saluting Gun Calibre 87.6mm (3.45 inch) Range 12km (13,400 yards) Rate of Fire 6-8 rounds per minute Shell weight 11.3kg (25lb) This 25 pounder is used today by The Heugh Gun Battery to fire blank charges as a . . . — Map (db m125799) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 25pr Saluting Gun 1942
25pr Mk II Saluting Gun. 1942 Calibre 87.6mm (3.45 inch) Range 12km (13,400 yards) Rate of Fire 6-8 rounds per minute Shell weight 11.3kg (25lb) The 25 pounder is considered to have been one of the finest field artillery pieces . . . — Map (db m125797) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 5.5 inch Howitzer
5.5 inch Gun Howitzer Calibre 140mm (5.5 inch) Range 14km (15,300 yards) Rate of Fire 3 rounds per minute Shell weight 36kg (80lb) The 5.5 inch Howitzer came into service in 1942 in the Western Desert of North Africa against . . . — Map (db m125800) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 6 inch Gun
Original 6 inch Mk 24 Calibre 152mm (6 inch) Range 23km (25,400 yards) Rate of Fire 6 to 8 rounds per minute Shell weight 50kg (112lb) A 6 inch Mk 24 was mounted here and, with its powered turret, would have been about a . . . — Map (db m125758) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 6 inch Mk VII Gun
Original 6 inch Mk VII Calibre 152mm (6 inch) Range 14km (15,700 yards) Rate of Fire 5 to 7 rounds per minute Shell weight 45kg (100lb) The original gun emplaced here was a Vickers 6 inch Mk VII gun, the workhorse of 20th . . . — Map (db m125746) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — A Trophy from Sebastopol
A Trophy From Sebastopol This Cannon Was Captured From the Russian Army At the Battle of Sebastopol During the Crimean War (1854-56). In October, 1857 The then Secretary of State, Lord Panmure, Offered the Cannon to Hartlepool Borough . . . — Map (db m125833) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Bofors L/60 Anti-Aircraft Gun
Bofors L/60 40mm Anti Aircraft Gun Calibre 40mm (1.57 inch) Anti Aircraft Ceiling 7.9km (26,000 feet) Rate of Fire 120 rounds per minute Shell weight 0.7kg (2lb) High Explosive The Bofors was a British version of a Swedish . . . — Map (db m125761) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Bombardment of the Hartlepools — Introduction
At 7pm on 14th December 1914 Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty, was told that "a battle cruiser attack on the East Coast was probably imminent", although what the precise objectives were it was impossible to say. The SMS Seydlitz, . . . — Map (db m125831) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Bombardment of the Hartlepools — Aftermath
It was thought that a buoy which the German fleet used as a guide had been moved further inland and the nearness of the German ships to the coast was the salvation of the batteries. A longer range would have given a trajectory bringing a dropping . . . — Map (db m125832) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Burney Recoilless Rifle
Burney 3.7 inch Mk I Recoilless Rifle Calibre 94mm (3.7 inch) Range approx 1km (1090 yards) Rate of Fire Unknown Shell weight Unknown The requirement for light, highly mobile anti tank weapons led to experiments with . . . — Map (db m125767) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Castle Eden War Memorial
To the Memory Of the Men of This Parish Who Gave Their Lives In the Great War 1914 – 1918. Thomas Hindson Biggins Pte Som. L.I. · Rowland Burdon Capt. & Flt. Comdr R.F.C. · Thomas Burns L/Cpl Durham L.I. · James Henry Francis . . . — Map (db m125904) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Coast Defence Gun Barrel
5.25 inch Mk II Coast Defence / Anti Aircraft Gun Barrel Calibre 133mm (5.25 inch) Range 21km (23,400 yards) Anti Aircraft Ceiling 13km (43,000 feet) Rate of Fire 7 to 10 rounds per minute Shell weight 36kg (80lb) Coast . . . — Map (db m125744) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Docks & Coal Staiths
The ancient tidal harbour of Hartlepool had become silted up by 1800 but was the obvious port from which to ship the coal of the South Durham collieries. From 1832 the dock was scoured by using sluices to release water from the Slake at low tide. . . . — Map (db m125901) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — First Soldier Killed
This Tablet Marks the Place Where the First Shell from the Leading German Battle Cruiser Struck at 8:10 A.M. on the 16th of December 1914 And Also Records the Place Where (During the Bombardment) The First Soldier Was Killed On . . . — Map (db m125803) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Fv 4201 Chieftan
Fv 4201 Chieftan Armament 1x120mm LIIAS Gun – 64 rounds carried 2x7.62mm M/G - 6000 rounds carried 2x6 Barrel smoke dischargers Crew – 4 Weight – 55 tons Range – 450 km Speed – 48 kph Entered service . . . — Map (db m125798) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Headland
Welcome to the Headland Ancient Borough of Hartlepool This Gateway Marker was erected 2001 AD to celebrate the 800th Anniversary of the grant of a Charter by King John to the citizens of Herterpool, The historic Borough of . . . — Map (db m125835) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — L6 Wombat
L6 Wombat 120mm Recoilless Rifle Calibre 120mm (4.7 inch) Range 1.1km (1,200 yards) Rate of Fire 4 rounds per minute Shell weight 12.8 kg (28lb) The WOMBAT (Weapon Of Magnesium, Battalion Anti Tank Gun) was Britain's light . . . — Map (db m125801) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Malta Gun
3.7 inch Static Mount Anti Aircraft Gun The Malta Gun Between 1940 and 1943 the island of Malta, "Britain's unsinkable aircraft carrier" suffered almost continuous siege in the most sustained bombing campaign of World War Two. Germany . . . — Map (db m125760) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Mk I Anti Aircraft Gun
3.7 inch Mk I Anti Aircraft Gun Calibre 93.9mm (3.7 inch) Anti Aircraft Ceiling 9.7 km (31,000 feet) Rate of Fire 10 rounds per minute Shell weight 12.7kg (28lb) The Vickers anti-aircraft gun was introduced to the British . . . — Map (db m125765) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Naval & Anti Aircraft Gun
4.5 Inch Mk III Naval & Anti Aircraft Gun 4.5 Inch Mk III Calibre 114mm (4.5 inch) Range 18.2 km (19,990 yards) Anti Aircraft Ceiling 9.1km (29,900 feet) Rate of Fire 14 rounds per minute Shell weight 25 kg (55lb) The . . . — Map (db m125757) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Naval Coast Defence Gun
4.7 inch Naval / Coast Defence Gun Calibre 120mm (4.7 inch) Range 9km (9,900 yards) Rate of Fire 5 to 6 rounds per minute Shell weight 20.4 kg (45lb) The 4.7 inch gun was the first 'modern' breech loader and was accepted into . . . — Map (db m125766) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Naval Gun 4 inch
Naval Gun 4 inch QF Mk 4 on Mk XVI Mount 1945 Calibre 100mm (4 inch) Range 16,300 yards Rate of Fire 10 - 15 rounds per minute Shell weight 31lb, 14kg The Naval Gun 4 inch QF first appeared in 1895 with the Mark IV being . . . — Map (db m125759) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Naval Gun Barrel
Naval Gun Barrel 4.5 inch QF Mk III Calibre 114mm (4.5 inch) Range 18.2 km (19,990 yards) Anti Aircraft Ceiling 9.1km (29,900 feet) Rate of Fire 14 rounds per minute Shell weight 25 kg (55lb) In the 1930s a Naval gun was . . . — Map (db m125745) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — The Bombardment of the Hartlepools
The Bombardment of the Hartlepools This memorial commemorates all those across the Hartlepools who were killed or wounded due to the naval bombardment of the 16th December 1914. At least 114 civilians, 9 soldiers and 7 sailors were . . . — Map (db m125834) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Throston Engine House
Throston Engine House was built 1838-1840 to accommodate a steam winding engine which hauled the coal wagons of the Stockton and Hartlepool Railway up 14 feet (4.3 metres) to the staiths of the Hartlepool Railway, at 3d (old pence) per ton of . . . — Map (db m125902) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Horden — Horden Colliery
British Coal Corporation Horden Colliery Shaft Ref.   North Shaft Diameter   6090 mm Shaft Depth   438 M Depth to top of cap from top of monument   2 M Date of Capping   Aug. 94 — Map (db m125912) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Seaham — Eleven ‘O’ One — Tommy - World War One Soldier
Eleven ‘O’ One Known locally as ‘Tommy’ was bought on Aug 4th 2014 from the public local schools businesses and Durham County Council. He sits here for future generations to visit, enjoy and remember. By — Ray Lonsdale Two . . . — Map (db m125911) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Seaham — Seaham Cenotaph
. . . — Map (db m125907) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Alnwick Quarters
Castle Quarters Alnwick Quarters Aln, Celtic for bright river, and wick, an Anglo-Saxon settlement, point towards the possible origins of Alnwick. From the Normans to the Tudors, Alnwick, with its mighty castle, offered a strategic defence . . . — Map (db m125983) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Alnwick War Memorial
This Column of Remembrance Is Dedicated to the Men of Alnwick Who Gave Their Lives In The Wars Of 1914 — 1918 & 1939 — 1945 We will remember them ( upper small plaque ) Korea War 1950 – 53 Flis. A. . . . — Map (db m126057) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Bosnian Army Gun
Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland Bosnian Croat Army 76mm Artillery Gun Regimental Sergeant Major Mac Leyland and Corporal Mac McGuiness, 1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers took possession of this gun when on peace-keeping duties in . . . — Map (db m126054) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Robertson’s Pant
Restored 1986 Presented by Adam Robertson to His Native Town 1890 Opened by Earl Percy June 8th 1891 Robertson’s Pant This fountain or pant was erected in 1890 by Adam Robertson local freeman and benefactor as a gift to his . . . — Map (db m126056) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Sir Henry Percy ‘Harry Hotspur’
Sir Henry Percy 'Harry Hotspur' c1364 – 1403 “...and by his light did all the chivalry of England move to do brave acts.” William Shakespeare - Henry IV, Part II This statue was commissioned by Alnwick Community Development . . . — Map (db m126055) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Sir Henry Percy Hotspur
Sir Henry Percy Hotspur Harry Hotspur was born at Alnwick Castle in 1364 or 1366 and was knighted in 1377 at the time when his father was created 1st Earl of Northumberland. He was supremely powerful in combat on land and sea, though sometimes his . . . — Map (db m125984) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — 19th Century Iron Mortar
Early 19th Century Iron Mortar Fitted to a wooden gun carriage this mortar is fitted with a cascabel. This ring at the breech or back of the cannon was used to attach lifting tackle when mounting or un-mounting it from its carriage. The mortar's . . . — Map (db m125930) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — 24 Pounder Cannons
It is believed that the castle acquired these two 24 pounder cannons when Napoleon was threatening to invade England in 1798. The stylised 'N' located on the left hand side of the breech is a naval service mark. This tells us that the cannons were . . . — Map (db m125934) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — 32 Pounder Cannon
This gun was purchased for £34.1.0. with an additional 74 barrels of gunpowder & a carriage bringing the total cost to £36.14.0. On 29th March 1784 Mr Cookson arranged to transport the 32 Pounder Gun on his sloop bound for Wareham, just outside . . . — Map (db m125936) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Bamburgh Castle Bell
This bell was originally in a cap house on top of the clock tower known also as the Belle Tower! As an integral part of the mechanism it sounded out at regular intervals. It was moved to its current site here in the apse of the chapel as its . . . — Map (db m125982) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Bamburgh Castle Coastguard Station
Bamburgh Castle Coastguard Station In 1771 The Crewe Trustees published an: “Account of the Signals made use of at Bamburgh Castle in the County of Northumberland in case Ships or Vessels are perceived in Distress, and of the charitable . . . — Map (db m125937) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Bamburgh’s Recorded History
547   Bamburgh’s Recorded History Begins Noted in the Anglo-Saxon chronicles, Ida the flamebearer conquers Din Guayrdi, Bamburgh, making it the capital of his kingdom of Bernicia. 607 – 634   Aethelfrith the Ravening Wolf Added . . . — Map (db m125927) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Chapel of St. Peter
These Are The Remains Of The Chapel In Which King Oswald’s Relics Were Kept. The Apse Dates From Norman Times. — Map (db m125980) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Home of Kings — Bamburgh Castle
Once home to the Kings of Northumbria, from King Ida in the mid 6 Century, through toLord Armstrong, a ‘King’ of Industry, Bamburgh Castle has dominated this coastline from wooden palisade to sandstone fortress. The story of Bamburgh goes . . . — Map (db m125923) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Mid-Tower Room
This vaulted room is the middle floor of three built into the easterly of two towers on the inner curtain wall. The tops of the towers were removed during re-modelling in the late 1800s and now form seating areas The lower room is identifiable . . . — Map (db m125978) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Northumbria’s Royal Throne
Originally discovered in the 19th century and thought to be a piece of a standing cross this piece of stone was later identified as belonging to a stone chair. It is currently on display in the Archaeology Room. It has been dated to around 800AD . . . — Map (db m125941) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Stocks
History Often confused with the pillory, stocks were only designed to hold the legs and occasionally arms, whereas the pillory held the head as well. Perhaps the most famous person placed in the stocks was Cardinal Wolsey after he got drunk at . . . — Map (db m125939) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — The Armada Gun
Dating from the late 1600s this cannon was affectionately named the Armada Gun as it was believed to have come from a Spanish Armada vessel after the fleet was driven up the North Sea Coast. It was later confirmed as a Dutch trading vessel that . . . — Map (db m125977) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — The Farne Islands — Bamburgh Castle
The islands before you are the Farne Islands between 15 and over 20 depending on the state of the tide. The islands were a renowned hazard to shipping and in the 18th Century, Dr Sharp, working for the Trustees of Lord Crewe, created one of . . . — Map (db m125925) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Morpeth — The Chapel — Warkworth Castle
This private chapel was once the most ornate room in the keep. It had a gallery above, warmed by a fireplace, for the Earl and his family. This lower level was used by servants. In the illustration the chaplain is saying daily prayers before . . . — Map (db m126118) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Morpeth — The Great Hall — Warkworth Castle
This is the largest room in the keep, rising to its full height. It was used not only for state banquets but also for holding court and the reception of important visitors, who might also be invited to dine with the Earl. The illustration . . . — Map (db m126101) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Shilbottle — Shilbottle War Memorial
World War I Robert Baxter · George W. Buglass · Thomas H. Charlton · William Darling · Joseph J. Dunn · Robert Green · Joseph R. Hall · John Hindhaugh · George Slater · John Smails · William Smails · James J. Thompson · Alexander J. Tweedy · Thomas . . . — Map (db m126100) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — 1859 Gun
This Coast Artillery Piece of 1859 Commemorates the Centenary of the Tynemouth Volunteer Artillery 1859 — 1959 Erected by O Tynemouth Battery 439 Tyne Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery Territorial Army This Plaque . . . — Map (db m126166) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — 6 Inch Gun
Master Gunner, St. James’s Park, General Sir Martin Farndale K.C.B. visited Tynemouth gun emplacement on 6th November 1998. His visit commemorated the Installation of a 6 inch gun. — Map (db m126164) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Lost Buildings
Lost Buildings From the late 18th century the large empty area in front of you was the hub of a busy military fort. A large barrack block stood just ahead of you. To its right was the Governor's House, and further to the right was a tall . . . — Map (db m126167) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Site of Tynemouth Lighthouse
Tyne and Wear County Council 1986 Site of Tynemouth Lighthouse A lighthouse was built here in 1664 using stone from the Priory. It is likely that this tower replaced a medieyal light in the Priory buildings. Demolished in 1898 and replaced by . . . — Map (db m126163) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Stone Detectives — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
Stone Detectives The pieces of carved stone in this room came from different buildings around the site. The surviving ruins of Tynemouth Priory are only a small part of the buildings that were once large and elaborate. But these small pieces . . . — Map (db m126124) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Cloister — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Cloister The large grass square in front of you was the monastery's cloister. It was surrounded by the monks' main living quarters. Very little remains of these buildings today – the army demolished most of them for their stone . . . — Map (db m126122) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Gatehouse — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Gatehouse Tynemouth's gatehouse is an imposing piece of architecture. It looks more like part of a castle than an entrance to a monastery. Tynemouth Priory needed defences because it was so close to the Scottish border and the Scots . . . — Map (db m126121) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Priory Church — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Priory Church In the 11th century, a great Norman baron, Robert Mowbray, earl of Northumbrian, founded a stone church and monastery here and gave the monks a vast area of land. There were very few stone buildings in the area then and . . . — Map (db m126123) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Shrine Area — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Shrine Area In 1065 the priest at Tynemouth found some human bones under the church – these were believed to be the remains of a Saxon saint, St Oswine. Local people began to make pilgrimages to his tomb, believing that the . . . — Map (db m126125) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
Welcome to Tynemouth Priory and Castle Today, the headland at Tynemouth is empty and its buildings are ruined. But 500 years ago this area was home to a community of monks. The ruined church in front of you was part of a rich Benedictine . . . — Map (db m126119) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — How Does Wilson Dam Work?
Wilson Dam Potential floodwaters that surge downstream on the Tennessee River are collected in Wilson Lake. Then, through carefully controlled releases, the water is gradually sent through the dam. Releasing water through the dam serves . . . — Map (db m124083)
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — First Muscle Shoals Canal/Second Muscle Shoals Canal1836-1838/1890-1918
(side 1) First Muscle Shoals Canal 1836-1838 From the earliest attempts to navigate the Tennessee River, it was known that a formidable obstacle made the passage from one end to the other almost impossible. This barrier, caused by . . . — Map (db m125572) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 35 — Rose TreeMuseum
In 1934, Robert Ripley declares the Rose Bush the World's Largest in the Newspaper column "Believe it or Not". The fire of May 26th, 1882, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House . . . — Map (db m125645) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Spanish Discovery
Near here in late summer of 1540, soldiers from the Spanish expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado became the first Europeans to see Grand Canyon. After journeying for six months, Coronado's army arrived at the Hopi mesas, east of Grand . . . — Map (db m125895) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 30 — Lancha Plana(No. 30 California Historical Landmark)
In 1848, Mexican Settlers from Sonora, Mexico established a camp on the north back of the Mokelumne River and called it Sonora Bar. At the start of the California Gold Rush miners flocked to the Mokelumne River and set up camps and towns along its . . . — Map (db m126094) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Bell Gardens — 984 — Casa de Rancho San AntonioHenry Gage Mansion
Contained within this building are the remaining portions of an adobe house built by Francisco Salvador Lugo and his son Antonio María Lugo. Francisco Lugo was a prominent early landholder and Antonio served as the Alcalde of Los Angeles. They . . . — Map (db m125567) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 44 — Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel
Built in 1927 by a group of celebrities that included Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and Louis B. Mayer. Site of the first Academy Awards in 1929. A hideaway for Clark Gable and Carol Lombard. Marilyn Monroe did her first commercial shoot by the . . . — Map (db m125714) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 37 — The Pig ‘n Whistle
Sidney Hoedemaker opened Hollywood's first family restaurant (that welcomed children) in 1927 and featured rich, hand-carved wood decor. Popular tunes were played on a pipe organ. The Hollywood Glee Club performed Friday evenings. Loreatta Young . . . — Map (db m125716) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 12 — Warner Pacific Theatre
Built by Warner Bros. in 1928 to be the crown jewel of its West Coast theaters. Sam Warner oversaw construction but died before it was completed. His ghost is said to haunt the building. The Italian Renaissance exterior design theme is continued . . . — Map (db m125717) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Christopher Columbus
Born in Genoa, Italy, in 1451; Died May 20, 1506, at the age of 55, in Valladolid, Spain; Sailed to the New World under the coat of arms of Castile and Aragon; Landed October 12, 1492 at the isle of San Salvador in the West Indies; Made three . . . — Map (db m126092) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Honoring The LivesSylmar Tunnel Disaster
On June 24, 1971, an explosion and fire took the lives of seventeen construction workers building a tunnel in Sylmar, California. The tunnel was being built for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California by the Lockheed Shipbuilding and . . . — Map (db m126024) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 181 — Lankershim Monument
[Panel #1] James B. Lankershim. Born Charleston, MO, March 24, 1850. Died Oct. 16, 1931. Commissioned Capt. Troop D Calvary 1st Brigade, N.G.O. Aug. 9, 1895 and Lieutenant Colonel N.G.O. July 21, 1903. [Panel #2] Near here . . . — Map (db m125561) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 789 — Los Angeles Star
Southern California's first newspaper, The Los Angeles Star, was founded in this block on May 17, 1851 and for many years exerted a major influence upon this part of the state. Suspended temporarily from 1864 to 1868, it continued later as an . . . — Map (db m125413) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Mulholland Drive Bridge
In 2012 this bridge replaced the historic Mulholland Drive overcrossing that was demolished to accommodate the widening of the San Diego Freeway (I-405). Built in 1959, the original bridge was determined eligible for listing on the National Register . . . — Map (db m125489) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 22 — Site of the Vine Street Brown Derby
The most famous Hollywood restaurant of its day, the Brown Derby opened Valentine's Day, 1929. Owner Robert Cobb was also the inventor of the Cobb Salad. He originated furnishing telephones at tables during mealtime. Celebrities’ popularity was . . . — Map (db m125718) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spirit of the CCCHonoring Those Who Served in the Civilian Conservation Corps — 1933 - 1942
The CCC had two camps in Griffith Park. Camp Griffith Park, originally located just east of this site, was occupied from May 1934 to May 1936. A statue honoring the CCC was sculpted by John Palo-Kangas as a WPA Federal Art Project and placed in that . . . — Map (db m125721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — American Revolution1775-1783
The American Revolution was a war for independence between the thirteen American colonies and their parent country, Great Britain. When it was over, the colonies became the United States of America. On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence . . . — Map (db m125419) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Northridge — Lauretta Wasserstein Sculpture Garden“Post-Tension”
On January 17, 1994, Los Angeles and the surrounding region experienced a 6.7 magnitude earthquake centered in Northridge. To commemorate the rebuilding of the region and CSUN, we created the sculpture garden incorporating remnants of the . . . — Map (db m125974) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Lest We Forget1971 Sylmar Earthquake
This tablet presented February 9, 1979, to the Veterans Memorial Park, in loving memory of the many veterans, nurses, and aids of the San Fernando Valley Veterans Hospital, whose lives were lost during the earthquake of February 9, 1971. — Map (db m126036) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tarzana — Adventures of Superman
Production years: 1951 - 1957. Producers: Robert Maxwell/Bernard Luber and Whitney Ellsworth. Episode #29: “The Man Who Could Read Minds." Script by Roy Hamilton. Directed by Tommy Carr. A portion of this episode was filmed in June, . . . — Map (db m125644) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens, Van Nuys, opened in 1966 at a construction cost of $4 milion dollars. In 1979, the park closed to make way for a major brewery expansion. At its peak attendance, it was a major San Fernando Valley tourist attraction which was complete . . . — Map (db m125558) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — Van Nuys Library
Los Angeles Public Library, Van Nuys branch, built 1926. This property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 19, 1987, and added to the list of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments on April 15, 2008. — Map (db m125482) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House
Situated below this hill, directly below the hotel, is the Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House. Built perhaps as early as 1790, it is possibly the oldest standing adobe in California. During the Rancho period, it was used for storing cattle hide from the . . . — Map (db m125441) HM
California (Riverside County), Whitewater — RIV-003 — Whitewater
Site of Cahuilla Indian Village of Wanapiapa, home of the Wanakik Lineage. Visited by Jose Romero Expedition exploring overland route from Sonora to California 1823. Eastern boundary of Rancho San Gorgonio. Adobe south of highway served as Stage . . . — Map (db m125946) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Boron — Capt. Mel Apt, USAFPilot of the Bell X-2 — In Memory of his Contribution
First human being to reach and exceed Mach 3 - 2094 mph. Perished near this site on September 27th 1956 while returning to base on the first manned Mach Three mission in history. The Bell X-2, AFSN# 46-674, crashed at this location . . . — Map (db m125805) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Lucerne Valley — The Last Indian Fight in Southern California
In January 1867 Indians left their camp east of Chimney Rock to go into the San Bernardino Mountains where they looted and burned several cabins and a sawmill. In retaliation, a possee surprised the Indians at their camp and killed and wounded many, . . . — Map (db m125886) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — Olive MillGraber Olive House
This mill was used in the early days of California. Olives were placed in the large vessel and crushed by the solid granite wheels, weighing about 12,000 lbs. The crushed olives were pushed into burlap sacks that were placed over the gate. The . . . — Map (db m125806) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 43 — Mill Creek Zanja
Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan Fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch (or "zanja") in 1819-20. In historical sequence the zanja . . . — Map (db m125944) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — First Firehouse Site - 1892
Coronado Historical Landmark First Firehouse Site - 1892 — Map (db m125571) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Cold Springs Tavern
In 1868 this tavern was known as "Cold Springs Relay Station". It was the half-way stop between "Mattei's Tavern" to the north, and Patrick Kinevan's "Summit House" to the south. In those days sturdy stagecoaches known as "mudwagons" traveled . . . — Map (db m125376) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Juana MariaThe Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island
Indian woman abandoned on San Nicolas Island eighteen years. Found and brought to Santa Barbara by Capt. George Nidever in 1853. — Map (db m125709) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Santa Cruz Hall of Records 1882 / Salón de archivos de Santa Cruz 1882
English text: The Octagon is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Santa Cruz. Architect John Wesley Newcum modeled the building after a $50 octagonal shaped gold piece first minted in San Francisco in 1851. The building, made . . . — Map (db m126026) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 9 — Santa Clara Schoolhouse
The Santa Clara School District was formed in 1879 when farmers in the area wanted a public school for their children. Members of the first Board of Trustees were Mathew Atmore, Ruben Hall and C.H. Chittenden. The first schoolhouse was built in . . . — Map (db m125568) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 86 — Erle Stanley Gardner’s Law Office
Gardner (1889-1970) patterned the office of his character Perry Mason after his own office in Suite 306 of this building. Gardner, a resident of Ventura until 1933, is cited by the Guinness Book of World Records as the #1 best selling author of all . . . — Map (db m125569) HM
Colorado (Conejos County), Antonito — Cumbres Pass
This memorial is the property of the State of Colorado Cumbres Pass Near Continental Divide between the waters of the Rio Grande and the San Juan ”Cumbres” is Spanish for “Summits” Altitude . . . — Map (db m125500) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — Cargill Falls Mill
On this site, Benjamin Cargill operated a grist mill originally built in 1730, adding a distillery and other shops in 1760. The Pomfret Manufacturing Company later built the Pomfret Cotton Mills to produce textile products in 1807; it is the . . . — Map (db m126039) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — Morse Mansion
This circa 1868 2 1/2-story Victorian Italianate villa-style home was built by textile magnate George Morse overlooking the Quinebaug River in sight of three of his mills. With the addition of wings, this building has been integrated into the . . . — Map (db m126032) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — The Flood of 1955The rebirth of Putnam — Putnam River Trail
On August 19 1955, the Quinebaug River, fueled by rain from Hurricane Diana, overflowed its banks and flooded Putnam. Unlike earlier floods of the 1880s and 1930s, the flood of 1955 caused extensive damage. As the river carved a new channel . . . — Map (db m126037) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milton — SC-235 — White's Chapel United Methodist Church
Organized in 1838, a Methodist Society then called the "Coolspring Methodist Episcopal Meeting House" began holding meetings in a schoolhouse situated on a nearby farm owned by Mrs. Jane Warrington. Trustees were elected and incorporated "to build . . . — Map (db m125876) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Elder SpiritEveryday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights’ people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m126148)
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Growing StrongEveryday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights’ people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m126149)
District of Columbia (Washington), Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) — Giesboro Park5. Calvary Depot
The Gisborough Estate (1680-1890) was a large colonial land grant that included part of what is now Bolling Air Force Base. That name eventually came to be spelled "Giesboro" and from 1863 to 1866 this area was the location of a large cavalry depot . . . — Map (db m125873)
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Brand New SWHirshhorn In The City
The Hirshhorn joins with DC's dynamic art scene to pay tribute to the pioneering art practices of the 1980s. Washington-based artists No Kings Collective, NoMüNoMü, and SUPERWAXX created these branded graphic posters, which were inspired by Brand . . . — Map (db m125961) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Forced into ServiceFlorida De Soto Trail — August 13, 1539
It’s August 13, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his scouting party are passing through the Indian villages of Utinamocharra located just south of here – My army of more than 700 men follow behind. We will march quickly through . . . — Map (db m125900) HM
Florida (Alachua County), High Springs — Fear StrickenFlorida De Soto Trail — August 15, 1539
It’s August 15, 1539… Hernando de Soto and his scouts arrive at the Indian village of Cholupaha. It lies along the present-day Santa Fe River, which runs through here – My Men captured several Indians and questioned them . . . — Map (db m125960) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa — F-568 — Historic Derby Street Chapel
Dedicated on July 13, 1924, this structure was built by the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and was heralded by The Cocoa Tribune as “an honor to the City.” In 1955 it was sold to the Church of Christ, Scientist. In 1964 it was sold to the . . . — Map (db m125640) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — F-261 — Douglas Dummett - Dummett Grove
Indian River oranges, one of Florida's most outstanding products were developed in the 19th century by Douglas Dummett. The Dummett family immigrated from the Barbados in 1807. By 1825, Thomas Dummett had acquired sugar plantations on the east coast . . . — Map (db m125643) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Floral City — Mile Posts
Three-sided concrete posts were placed every mile along the railroad as points of reference for the trainmen. This post tells us that it is 800 miles via rail to Richmond, Virginia, the railroad company’s headquarters. Funding for this . . . — Map (db m125492) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Floral City — What Lies AheadFlorida De Soto Trail — July 24, 1539
It’s July 24, 1539… Hernando de Soto’s army has set up camp at a nearby Indian village, Tocaste - I moved ahead with a small scouting party. Just north of the village, we discovered a broad road, which I believe may be the entrance . . . — Map (db m125896) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Citizens Bank
”The Citizen's Bank” built this structure around 1912 and failed in the late 20’s. It was later occupied as: Vann's Drug Store, Bacon's Drug Store, Lanier's Drug Store, Culpepper's Drug Store, Bennett's Drug Store, Marshall's Drug . . . — Map (db m125473) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Close to StarvationFlorida De Soto Trail — July 26, 1539
It’s July 26, 1539… An advance guard of Hernando de Soto’s army has moved through a nearby area and crossed the present-day Withlacoochee River - It took us two days to cross the river. The rest of our army soon followed. Weighed . . . — Map (db m125897) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Surprise AttackFlorida De Soto Trail — July 25, 1539
It’s July 25, 1539… Captain Moscoso is leading Hernando de Soto’s army north, from the village of Tocaste, to support De Soto’s scouting party… Passing near a large lake, we were met by messengers sent by De Soto. They told us the . . . — Map (db m125868) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — The Bank of Inverness
The current Bank of Inverness building was erected on Main Street in 1916 and housed the Citrus County Bank which closed in January 1929. By June of 1929 the only remaining bank in Citrus County was the Bank of Homosassa. On November 20, 1929, the . . . — Map (db m126084) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — The Dime Store
This building, best remembered as Allen’s 5, 10 & 25 Store, was built by Jack Kibler in the early 1920’s. Occupants included the Inverness Post Office, Vann’s Drug Store and Ernest Johnston’s Restaurant prior to Allen’s 5, 10 & 25 opening in 1932. . . . — Map (db m125464) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Fort White — A Chief is SeizedFlorida De Soto Trail — August 17, 1539
It’s August 17, 1539… When Hernando de Soto’s scouts sight the abandoned Indian village of Caliquen, Cavalry Captain Baltasar de Gallegos is ordered to move ahead – My men and I were sent to check for food and supplies. When . . . — Map (db m125991) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Fort White — Ichetucknee Springs
Ichetucknee Springs Has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1955 this site possesses exceptional value in illustrating the natural history of the United . . . — Map (db m126019) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — A Bargaining ChipFlorida De Soto Trail — September 10, 1539
It’s September 10, 1539… Conquistador Hernando de Soto has come to Uriutina, a deserted Indian village near here. We have feasted upon the bounty of food left behind by the fleeing villagers. Messengers sent by Chief Uzachile have . . . — Map (db m125992) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Istachatta — Pressing OnwardFlorida De Soto Trail — July 23, 1539
It’s July 23, 1539… Conquistador Hernando de Soto and his advance guard of 12 horsemen have just passed the small Indian village of Vicela… I have decided not to stop here. We must press on further north and reach the chiefdom of . . . — Map (db m125867) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Richloam — Rumors of RichesFlorida De Soto Trail — July 20, 1539
It’s July 20, 1539… Here at the Indian village called Luca, Calvary Captain Baltasar de Gallegos reports back to Hernando de Soto – My mission to meet with the great Chief Urriparacoxi was unsuccessful. The chief hid in the . . . — Map (db m125708) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Riverview — Saved from SlaveryFlorida De Soto Trail — June 20, 1539
It’s June 20, 1539… Juan Ortiz, a lost Spaniard from an earlier expedition with Pánfilo de Narváez, is found by De Soto’s men not far from here. He tells his story – Ten years ago I was captured by Chief Ucita. I later escaped to . . . — Map (db m125884) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Thonotosassa — Old Fort King Trail
Old Fort King Trail is near the original Fort King Road. During the Second Seminole War, Fort King Road served as the main transportation and communication route between Fort Brooke (Tampa) and the Seminole Agency at Fort King (Ocala). Following an . . . — Map (db m126033) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-20 — Tallahassee - St. Marks Railroad
The Tallahassee to St. Marks railroad began operations in 1837. It was owned by the Tallahassee Rail Road Company, incorporated in 1834. The road was single track, twenty-three miles long, and had mule drawn cars. In 1839 a steam locomotive was . . . — Map (db m125460) HM
Florida (Madison County), Lee — Peace OfferingFlorida De Soto Trail — September 23, 1539
It’s September 23, 1539… Conquistador Hernando de Soto and his men have reached a large river, the present-day Suwannee – My nose is broken, and we are weary from battle. We will rest here for two days before crossing. Envoys of . . . — Map (db m125993) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Holy Eucharist Monument and Memorial CrossDe Soto National Memorial
The Hernando de Soto Catholic Memorial, also known as the Holy Eucharist Monument, and the Memorial Cross, just across the bridge from here, are owned by the Catholic Diocese of Venice, Florida. The base stone of this monument was quarried and cut . . . — Map (db m125790) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Terra Ceia — Danger ApproachesDe Soto Trail — 1539-1540
Bountiful Waters Early peoples living along the warm waters of this coast harvested the vast bounty of the Gulf of Mexico and surrounding lands. They built villages with intricate canals, lagoons, and mounds made of shell and earth. Early . . . — Map (db m125809) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Terra Ceia — Realizing a DreamDe Soto Trail — 1539-1540
A Name for Himself On May 29, 1539, Hernando de Soto’s fleet of 9 ships passed here, carrying over 700 men, as well as women, children, and slaves. For De Soto, this was the realization of a long-awaited dream. In 1533, after participating . . . — Map (db m125693) HM
Florida (Marion County), Dunnellon — Badly WoundedFlorida De Soto Trail — August 11, 1539
It’s August 11, 1539… Hernando de Soto has taken a small force of 60 cavalry and 100 foot soldiers north through Timucuan territory towards the land of the Apalachee - I have entrusted Captain Moscoso to lead the army north, while I . . . — Map (db m125899) HM
Florida (Marion County), Dunnellon — Rest for the Weary — July 29, 1539
It’s July 29, 1539… De Soto’s weary and starving army arrives at the village of Ocale - We found the village abandoned but full of food and supplies. I ordered my men to rest and then gather enough provisions for the next several . . . — Map (db m125898) HM
Florida (Orange County), Windermere — Forced EastwardFlorida De Soto Trail — July 17, 1539
It’s July 17, 1539… Hernando de Soto’s army has moved further north to the shores of this large lake – We have decided to name the lake St. John. Those of us in the cavalry have just returned from scouting ahead. We searched the . . . — Map (db m125874) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Good as GoldFlorida De Soto Trail — July 19, 1539
It’s July 19, 1539… Conquistador Hernando de Soto’s army has turned northward – We have found several Indian villages in this area. Many are abandoned but stocked full of harvested corn. ”The next day they came to the . . . — Map (db m125773) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Zephyrhills — A Harsh Green DesertFlorida De Soto Trail — July 18, 1539
It’s July 18, 1539… Hernando de Soto’s army has crossed the nearby grasslands they call the green desert – We could find no water in this lush green environment. Due to the intense summer sun, many of our men have succumbed to heat . . . — Map (db m125885) HM

610 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 410
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.