Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

730 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 530
 
Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, July 4, 2018
Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl and Marker
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl
German: Der "neue" Hof war im 15. Jahrhundert die Residenz von Herzog Friedrich IV. "mit der leeren Tasche" und Sigmund "dem Münzreichen". Den mit 2657 feuervergoldeten Kupferschindeln gedeckten spätgotischen Prunkerker ließ . . . — Map (db m126003) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Historisches Rathaus
German: 1358 errichtet, erfuhr das Gebäude im Laufe der Zeit mehrere bauliche Veränderungen. Es diente bis 1897 als Sitz des Magistrats. Im Erdgeschoß befanden sich eine Kaufhalle und die Brotbank, im ersten Stock waren die . . . — Map (db m126004) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — HölblinghausHerzog-Friedrich-Straße 10
German: Dieses gotische Bürgerhaus des 15. Jahrhunderts erhielt vermutlich von dem um 1723 nach Innsbruck übersiedelten Stuchateur Anton Gigl aus Wessobrunn seine üppige barocke Fassade. Der Name des Hauses geht auf Sebastain . . . — Map (db m125996) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Prechthaus
German: Das Prechthaus stammt aus dem 15. Jahrhundert und wurde um 1540 unter Dr. Basilius Precht durch Gregor Türing umgebaut. 1588 erwarb es Hofkanzler Dr. Justinian Moser, im 17. Jahrhundert war es im Besitz der Grafen . . . — Map (db m126005) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Triumphpforte
German: Die nach alter Tradition der Begrüßungspforten urbaute Ehrenpforte wurde im Jahre 1765 anlässlich der Hochzeit des späteren Kaisers Leopold II. mit der spanischen Infantin Maria Ludovica aus Steinen des Vorstadttores . . . — Map (db m126011) HM
Ontario, Smiths Falls — Crossroads of the Rideau / À la croisée des chemins

Canal, rail and highway converge at Smiths Falls, the crossroads of the Rideau corridor. Each means of transport, built in turn, changed the face of the town, the Rideau River, and this lockstation. Canal construction first transformed the . . . — Map (db m125889) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — 100e anniversaire de l'église Notre-Dame-des-Neiges100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Snows Church — 1887 - 1987

Hommage aux fondateurs

Architecte: David Ouellet Constructeurs: Augustin Audet • Hubert Morin

Cures: Desire Vezina Ptre Damase Morisset Ptre

Monument erige a l'occasion du centenaire de la construction de . . . — Map (db m126127) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Le Cheval Noir / The Black Horse

Une œuvre de l'artiste-sculpteur Michael Bergstaller

Haute de 5 mètres, cette sculpture est composée de tiges et de plaques d'acier ancrées sur un radier de béton armé. Cabré sur ses pattes arrière, le Cheval Noir s'éloigne . . . — Map (db m126126) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Les magasins Rioux / The Rioux Shopsrue Notre-Dame Ouest

Une véritable tradition commerciale a pris racine dans ce secteur des Trois-Pistoles. L'avènement du Chemin du Roi et le déplacement du centre nerveux de toute l'activité pistoloise de la fin du XVIIIe siècle ont fait . . . — Map (db m125875) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'île-aux-Basques / Isle of the Basques

Sur L'île aux Basques, on voit encore les vestiges de fourneaux construits par les Basques. Le Père Nouvel et ses néophytes papinachois se retirèrent sur l'île aux Basques, en 1666, pour se protéger contre les . . . — Map (db m126165) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'Institutionnel Église - Couvent - PresbytèreThe Institution of Church - Convent - Rectory

L'église des Trois-Pistoles, ce temple, ce monument. Elle est, sous plus d'un chapitre, l'histoire même du milieu, nous rappelant le grand déplacement de la communauté « d'en-bas vers en-haut » et l'avènement d'une période . . . — Map (db m126088) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le Manoir Seigneurial

À son arrivée à Rimouski en 1696, le seigneur René Lepage construit, près de la rivière, une maison en colombage d'environ 6 mètres (20 pieds) sur 15,2 mètres (50 pieds) et une petite scierie pour les besoins de la jeune . . . — Map (db m126441) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 14 — Le couvent du Saint-Rosaire / The Saint-Rosaire Convent

Le promoteur

À son arrivée à L'Isle-Verte, en 1920, le chanoine J.-Alphonse Verreau (devenu Monseigneur en 1928) trouve l'école du village et le troisième presbytère dans un état lamentable. C'est alors qu'il prononce ces . . . — Map (db m125843) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), L'Isle-Verte — 13 — L'Église / The Church

On appelle plutôt "chapelle" notre première église tellement elle était petite. Bâtie entre 1723 et 1738, elle était située sur la terre donnée à l'Église par le premier seigneur Côté. La seconde fut construite de 1798 à 1800, près de . . . — Map (db m125872) HM

Quebec (Rivière-du-Loup MRC), Rivière-du-Loup — L'Hôtel de ville de Rivière-du-LoupCent ans de fierté • 1917-2017

Un premier hôtel de ville à Fraserville

Le chantier pour la construction de l'hôtel de ville débute au printemps 1902 et l'ouverture officielle a lieu un an plus tard, à Pâques, le dimanche 12 avril 1903. La première séance . . . — Map (db m125768) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — In Memory of Dan Uzan
יזכור

Til minde om Dan Uzan

På dette sted blev Dan Uzan, 37 år, myrdet af en terrorist den 15. februar 2015, mens han beskyttede gæster i Det Jødiske Hus. Ondskab kan alene overvindes . . . — Map (db m125940) HM

Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Church of the Holy Apostles (ca. A.D. 1000)
ΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΝ ΑΓΙΟΝ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΩΝ (περίπου 1000 μ.Χ.) (Text in Greek on the left side. To read . . . — Map (db m126138) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Odeion of Agrippa and Gymnasium or "Palace of the Giants"
ΩΛΕΙΟ ΤΟΥ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΚΑΙ ΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟ Ή "ΑΝΑΚΤΟΡΟ ΤΩΝ . . . — Map (db m126134) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Stoa of Attalos (159-138 B.C.)
ΣΤΟΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΤΤΑΛΟΥ (156-138 π.X.) (Text in Greek on the left side) English: The Stoa, on the east side of the Ancient Agora, was the gift of Attalos . . . — Map (db m126105) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of Apollo Patroos, Temple of Zeus Pharatrios and Athena Phratria, Benches or "Synedrion"
ΝΑΟΣ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΟΣ ΠΑΤΡΩΟΥ. ΝΑΟΣ ΔΙΟΣ ΦΡΑΤΡΙΟΥ ΚΑΙ . . . — Map (db m126136) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of HephaistosΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΟΥ — (ca. 460-415 BC)/(περ 460-415 π.Χ.)
A Doric peripteral temple, with pronaos (fore-temple), cella (inner shrine), and opisthonaos (rear wing), the best preserved of its type in the Greek world. The facade of the pronaos and opisthonaos, to the east and west, . . . — Map (db m126052) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Ancient Street of the Tripods - The Lysikrates Choregic Monument
ΑΡΧΑΙΑ ΟΔΟΣ ΤΡΙΠΟΔΩΝ - ΧΟΡΗΓΙΚΟ ΜΝΗΜΕΙΟ . . . — Map (db m126106) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The archaeological excavation
Η αρχαιολογική αναδκαφή (Text in Greek above. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The remains of a neighborhood . . . — Map (db m126107) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Area South of the Ancient Agora
Η ΠΕΡΙΟΧΜ ΝΟΤΙΩΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it . . . — Map (db m126109) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The East Side of the Ancient Agora and the Stoa of Attalos
Η ΑΝΑΤΟΛΙΚΗ ΠΛΕΥΡΑ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ Η ΣΤΟΑ . . . — Map (db m126133) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The House on Panos StreetMan and Tools — Aspects of Labour in the Pre-Industrial World
The house at 22 Panos Street is a two-storey house, with a simple, traditional architecture, built at the beginning of the 19th century. The building has a ground (entrance) floor and an upper storey. It was restored by the Ministry of Culture, in . . . — Map (db m126065) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Library of Pantainos
H ΒΙΒΛΙΟΘΗΚΗ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΝΤΑΙΝΟΥ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The . . . — Map (db m126111) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Water ClockΚΛΕΨΥΔΡΑ
This monumental water clock was constructed at the end of the 4th cent. B.C. in a prominent location at the southwest corner of there Agora square, on the street leading from the Agora up to the Pnyx. Water was drawn by a stone drain. The device was . . . — Map (db m126058) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — Monuments of the Sacred WayMNHMEIA THΣ IEPAΣ OΔOY — Monuments de la Voie Sacrée
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Within . . . — Map (db m126255) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The (Delphi) TheatreTO ΘEATPI — Le Théâtre
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126338) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Altar of Chiots AreaH ΠEPIOXH TOY BΩMOY TΩN XIΩN — La Zone de l'Autel de Chios
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The altar . . . — Map (db m126405) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Archaeological Site of DelphiAPXAIOΛOΓIKOΣ XΩPOΣ ΔEΛΦΩN
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (too) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The archaeological site of Delphi . . . — Map (db m126248) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Cemeteries of DelphiTA NEKPOTAΦEIA ΔEΛΦΩN — Les Cimetirères de Delphes
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126247) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The HalosH ΠEPIOXH THΣ AΛΩ — L'aire
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126318) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The NavelOMΦAΛOΣ — Le Nombril
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126317) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Roman AgoraPΩMAΪKH AΓOPA — L'Agora Romaine
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Today, . . . — Map (db m126407) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Sanctuary of ApolloTO IEPO TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Sanctuaire d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126249) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Stadium of DelphiTO ΣTAΔIO — Le Stade
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126403) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Temple of ApolloO NAOΣ TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Temple d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126333) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Theater DistrictH ΠEPIOXH TOY ΘEATPOY — La Zone du Théâtre
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126404) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Treasury of the Sikyonians and SiphniansΘHΣAYPOI ΣIKYΩNIΩN KAI ΣIΦNIΩN — Les Trésors des Sicyoniens et des Siphniens
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126264) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — Achillion Museum Corfu
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center-left), German (center-right) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, German and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on . . . — Map (db m126429) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — Pendant La Guerre Continentale 1914-1918
French: Les troupes Alliées ont utilisé l'ile de Corfou afin d'y recueillir et abriter l'armée Serbe apes sa retraite a travers l'albanie le 17 Février 1916, le géneral de brigade de Mondesir Commandant les troupes francaises et le . . . — Map (db m126432) HM WM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — The Entrance Gate to Achillion
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The entrance gate to Achillion . . . — Map (db m126436) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Barracks of Pasqualigo/Barracks of British Officiers
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. ΣTPATΩNAΣ . . . — Map (db m126480) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Church of Saint GeorgeNAOΣ AΓIOY ΓEΩPΓIOY
The church of Saint George was built during the period when the island was a British Protectorate (1815-1864). Construction began in 1840 in accordance with the design of the English military architect Anthony Emmett, so that the church could serve . . . — Map (db m126479) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Count Matthais von der SchulenburgO ΣTPATAPXHΣ MATTHIAS VON DER SCHULENBURG
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The German general Matthias von der . . . — Map (db m126440) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Latin Chapel of Madonna del Carmine/British Army Barracks
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. ΛATINIKO ΠAPEKΛKHΣI THΣ . . . — Map (db m126477) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Old FortressΠAΛAIO ΦPOYPIO
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top right) and English (bottom right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The Old Fortress's . . . — Map (db m126476) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Old FortressΠAΛAIO ΦPOYPIO
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (bottom left) and English (bottom right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The Old Fortress's . . . — Map (db m126514) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Palace of the Venetian CommissionerMEΓAPO BENETOY ΠPONOHTH
This building is not preserved (it was damaged by the bombs placed by Germans in 1943 and was subsequently demolished). It was the most important Venetian monument of the Old Fort. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1743 and was rebuilt in 1753 . . . — Map (db m126516) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou(The Dormition of the Virgin Mary) — or Panagia of Agion Theodoron
On the site where the church now stands, there were initially two small cave churches dedicated to Agios Theodoros (St. Theodore) and Our Lady, which are mentioned in a will from 1641 and a report from 1642 by the inspector of the Catholic Bishopic . . . — Map (db m126050) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos
This church is located on the verge of the cliffs of Fira, clinging to the edge of the caldera. It is first mentioned in a list of Santorini churches, compiled in 1757 by the Catholic Archbishop of Naxos Pietro Martire de Stefani. The church . . . — Map (db m126051) HM
Israel, Lower Galilee Regional Council, Arbel — Arbel Ancient Synagogue /Beautiful ruins of an ancient synagogue from the 4th century BCE. — בית הכנסת העתיק
The synagogue was discovered in 1905 by H. Kohl and C. Waltzinger.

It is a square building belonging to the Galilean type of synagogue with a number of special components:

• The main entrance in the eastern wall. • The niche for holy . . . — Map (db m126103) HM

Italy, South Tyrol (Castelrotto), Bulla Pufels — The Watermills of Bulla
Historical documents going back to 1288 already testify to the existence of various farms in Bulla. The farming community of those days definitely recognized the importance of hydraulic energy to grind grain. In fact, an entry in the land registry . . . — Map (db m126013) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — "Paris" Pharmacy
. . . — Map (db m125970) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — 17th Century Entryway
Portada del Siglo XVII Esta sencilla portada lateral, corresponde a la primera etapa constructiva del templo de San Francisco Javier (1670-1682). Sobre el entablamento, se destaca un nicho que alberga la imagen de San Ignacio de . . . — Map (db m125830) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Atrium of the Olives
Atrio de los olivos La fisonomía del atrio ha variado a través de los siglos, la parroquia de San Pedro fue remozada por los jesuitas en 1618 y muy probablemente también el atrio. Su traza actual de estilo barroco, se realizó en 1750, . . . — Map (db m125822) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Camino Real de Tierra AdentroThe Royal Inland Road
Camino Real de Tierra Adentro ha sido inscrito en la Lista del Patrimonio Mundial en virtud de la Convención para la Protección del Patrimonio Mundial Cultural y Natural. La inscripción en esta Lista consagra el Valor Universal . . . — Map (db m125864) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Old Jesuit School of San MartínHerencia Otomí
Antiguo Colegio Jesuita de San Martín Tepotzotlán es uno de los poblados indígenas más antiguos de la región, se sabe que la presencia de grupos prehispánicos se remonta al siglo XII y que la conquista espiritual del territorio inició . . . — Map (db m125916) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), Tepotzotlán — Principal Facade of the San Francisco Javier Church
Fachada Principal de la Iglesia de San Francisco Javier La fachada y la torre, ejemplos sobresalientes del barroco estípite del siglo XVIII (churrigueresco mexicano), fueron construidas de 1760 a 1762. La actual fachada se trabajó . . . — Map (db m125863) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — El Marqués Cultural Center
Casa de Cultura 1874 Inicialmente fue una casa particular construida por Don Francisco Amaya Avendaño para su hermano Mariano. Durante una época en éste inmueble se vendían tortas y se servían bebidas refrescantes. Durante las visitas . . . — Map (db m126099) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — Pan Dulce Monument
Parador Territorial o Pan Dulce Considerado Monumento Histórico, que conmemora el encuentro entre españoles e indígenas en la región. Este emblemático lugar sirvió como punto de encuentro y recepción, donde las tribus visitantes . . . — Map (db m126022) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Foundation of La Cañada
Fundación La Cañada, El Marqués Don Fernando de Tapia regreso al mando de quinientos hombres de arco y flecha al pueblo que en el año de 1521 había fundado cuando se le conocía como Conni y con grupos provenientes de Xilotepec . . . — Map (db m126063) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Small ChurchLa Iglesia Chiquita
Iglesia Chiquita La más Antigua de Querétaro -1529- El español Don Hernando Pérez de Bocanegra comisionó edificar el primer templo a la redonda para iniciar con la evangelización. En abril de 1531 se celebró en La Cañada, la primera . . . — Map (db m126023) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of La Corregidora), El Pueblito — Hermitage of the Virgin of El Pueblito
Ermita a la Virgen de El Pueblito Recinto que guarda una representación de la Virgen María como agradecimiento por parte de la población por el cese del desbordamiento del Río El Pueblito. El culto a la Virgen María en El Pueblito . . . — Map (db m126426) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Temple and Convent of Santa Cruz
Templo y convento de la Santa Cruz Construidos entre 1649 y 1654 por la Orden Franciscana, se encuentran en la cumbre del cerro de Sangremal, donde solía existir una antigua ermita a principios del siglo XVI. En 1683 aquí se . . . — Map (db m125935) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Chameleon Fountain
Fuente del Camaleón Formó parte del sistema de distribución de agua limpia con el que contó la ciudad a partir del siglo XVIII; fue inaugurada el año de 1908 en el Barrio de la Otra Banda, a cuyos vecinos benefició hasta la segunda . . . — Map (db m125917) HM
Panama, Panamá (District of Panamá) — General Tomás Herrera
El Presidente Augusto B. Leguia, a nombre del Peru, ofrece como homenaje de admiración al General Tomás Herrera, y para que sea colocada al pie de la estatua de se le erige, un puñado de tierra de Ayacucho, campo inmortal donde se . . . — Map (db m126295) HM WM
The Bahamas, New Providence, Nassau — Fort FincastleBahamas Historical Site
Fort Fincastle was built in 1793 by Lord Dunmore, a Royal Governor (1787-1796), whose second title was Viscount Fincastle. This fort shaped like an old paddle wheel steamer, was built to protect the city from invasion but saw little action. It . . . — Map (db m125664) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Alfred Robert Tucker
Alfred Robert Tucker Curate of St. Nicholas Durham 1885 – 1899 3rd Bishop E.Eq. Africa 1890 – 1899 1st Bishop of Uganda 1899 – 1911 Canon of Durham 1911 – 1914 Born 1 April 1849 Died 15 June 1914 I . . . — Map (db m126288) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses
Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses 1666 Replacing Bishop Langley’s Song and Grammar Schools 1414 1923   1973 — Map (db m126286) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Library
Bishop Cosin’s Library 1669 Entrusted To The University 1935 1923   1973 — Map (db m126291) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Charles William Vane Stewart
Charles William Vane Stewart 3rd Marquis of Londonderry Earl Vane and Baron Stewart Of Stewarts Court K.C. G.C.B. Lord Lieutenant County of Durham And Founder of Seaham Harbour General in the Army Born May 8th 1778 Died March 6th 1854 . . . — Map (db m126168) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Durham Light Infantry Boer War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m126287) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — For ValourDurham Light Infantry
Durham Light Infantry For Valour Pte. J. Byrne, D.C.M.   Crimea 1854 Capt. T. de Courcy Hamilton.   Crimea 1855 Sgt. J. Murray.   New Zealand 1864 Pte. T. Kenny.   France 1915 Lt. Col. R.B. Bradford. M.C.   France 1916 Pte. M.W. . . . — Map (db m126173) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Former Exchequer
Former Exchequer And Chancery of The Palatinate Built for Bishop Neville (1438 – 57) 1923   1973 — Map (db m126293) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — George William Kitchin
George William Kitchin Dean of Winchester 1883   1894 Dean of Durham 1894   1912 First Chancellor of Durham University Born Dec 7 · 1827 Died Oct 13 · 1912 — Map (db m126289) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Neptune
Neptune This statue was given to the City in 1729 by George Bowes M.P. of Gibside and Streatlam as a symbol of the scheme to link Durham to the sea by improved navigation of the River Wear. It stood on top of the Market Place wellheads . . . — Map (db m126170) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Old Registry
Old Registry County Court House on this Site 1588 – 1811 Rebuilt as Diocesan Registry 1822 Passed to Union Society 1935 And to University Library 1978 — Map (db m126290) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — The Durham Light Infantry
1758     1968 The Durham Light Infantry Dedicated to All Who Served in the Regiment And in Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives In the Cause of Freedom Faithful ( side plaque ) The Regiment’s long connection with County . . . — Map (db m126171) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 25pr Mk II Saluting Gun
25pr Mk II Saluting Gun Calibre 87.6mm (3.45 inch) Range 12km (13,400 yards) Rate of Fire 6-8 rounds per minute Shell weight 11.3kg (25lb) This 25 pounder is used today by The Heugh Gun Battery to fire blank charges as a . . . — Map (db m125799) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 25pr Saluting Gun 1942
25pr Mk II Saluting Gun. 1942 Calibre 87.6mm (3.45 inch) Range 12km (13,400 yards) Rate of Fire 6-8 rounds per minute Shell weight 11.3kg (25lb) The 25 pounder is considered to have been one of the finest field artillery pieces . . . — Map (db m125797) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — 5.5 inch Howitzer
5.5 inch Gun Howitzer Calibre 140mm (5.5 inch) Range 14km (15,300 yards) Rate of Fire 3 rounds per minute Shell weight 36kg (80lb) The 5.5 inch Howitzer came into service in 1942 in the Western Desert of North Africa against . . . — Map (db m125800) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — A Trophy from Sebastopol
A Trophy From Sebastopol This Cannon Was Captured From the Russian Army At the Battle of Sebastopol During the Crimean War (1854-56). In October, 1857 The then Secretary of State, Lord Panmure, Offered the Cannon to Hartlepool Borough . . . — Map (db m125833) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Bombardment of the Hartlepools — Introduction
At 7pm on 14th December 1914 Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty, was told that "a battle cruiser attack on the East Coast was probably imminent", although what the precise objectives were it was impossible to say. The SMS Seydlitz, . . . — Map (db m125831) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Bombardment of the Hartlepools — Aftermath
It was thought that a buoy which the German fleet used as a guide had been moved further inland and the nearness of the German ships to the coast was the salvation of the batteries. A longer range would have given a trajectory bringing a dropping . . . — Map (db m125832) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Castle Eden War Memorial
To the Memory Of the Men of This Parish Who Gave Their Lives In the Great War 1914 – 1918. Thomas Hindson Biggins Pte Som. L.I. · Rowland Burdon Capt. & Flt. Comdr R.F.C. · Thomas Burns L/Cpl Durham L.I. · James Henry Francis . . . — Map (db m125904) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Docks & Coal Staiths
The ancient tidal harbour of Hartlepool had become silted up by 1800 but was the obvious port from which to ship the coal of the South Durham collieries. From 1832 the dock was scoured by using sluices to release water from the Slake at low tide. . . . — Map (db m125901) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — First Soldier Killed
This Tablet Marks the Place Where the First Shell from the Leading German Battle Cruiser Struck at 8:10 A.M. on the 16th of December 1914 And Also Records the Place Where (During the Bombardment) The First Soldier Was Killed On . . . — Map (db m125803) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Fv 4201 Chieftan
Fv 4201 Chieftan Armament 1x120mm LIIAS Gun – 64 rounds carried 2x7.62mm M/G - 6000 rounds carried 2x6 Barrel smoke dischargers Crew – 4 Weight – 55 tons Range – 450 km Speed – 48 kph Entered service . . . — Map (db m125798) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Headland
Welcome to the Headland Ancient Borough of Hartlepool This Gateway Marker was erected 2001 AD to celebrate the 800th Anniversary of the grant of a Charter by King John to the citizens of Herterpool, The historic Borough of . . . — Map (db m125835) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — L6 Wombat
L6 Wombat 120mm Recoilless Rifle Calibre 120mm (4.7 inch) Range 1.1km (1,200 yards) Rate of Fire 4 rounds per minute Shell weight 12.8 kg (28lb) The WOMBAT (Weapon Of Magnesium, Battalion Anti Tank Gun) was Britain's light . . . — Map (db m125801) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — The Bombardment of the Hartlepools
The Bombardment of the Hartlepools This memorial commemorates all those across the Hartlepools who were killed or wounded due to the naval bombardment of the 16th December 1914. At least 114 civilians, 9 soldiers and 7 sailors were . . . — Map (db m125834) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Hartlepool — Throston Engine House
Throston Engine House was built 1838-1840 to accommodate a steam winding engine which hauled the coal wagons of the Stockton and Hartlepool Railway up 14 feet (4.3 metres) to the staiths of the Hartlepool Railway, at 3d (old pence) per ton of . . . — Map (db m125902) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Horden — Horden Colliery
British Coal Corporation Horden Colliery Shaft Ref.   North Shaft Diameter   6090 mm Shaft Depth   438 M Depth to top of cap from top of monument   2 M Date of Capping   Aug. 94 — Map (db m125912) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Rookhope — Rookhope War Memorial
“For Home and Country” Erected to the Memory of the Men from this Parish who Served in the Great War 1914 – 1918. Those Who Fell Richard Bell Adamson. · Robert Hodgson Adamson. · John Christopher Baty. · John Edward . . . — Map (db m126343) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Seaham — Eleven ‘O’ One — Tommy - World War One Soldier
Eleven ‘O’ One Known locally as ‘Tommy’ was bought on Aug 4th 2014 from the public local schools businesses and Durham County Council. He sits here for future generations to visit, enjoy and remember. By — Ray Lonsdale Two . . . — Map (db m125911) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Seaham — Seaham Cenotaph
. . . — Map (db m125907) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Wolsingham — Millenium Window
. . . — Map (db m126342) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Wolsingham — Wolsingham War Memorial
Remember With Thanksgiving The True and Faithful Men Who In The Great War Went Forth From This Parish For God and the Right The Names of Those Who Returned Not Again Are Here Inscribed To Be Honoured For Evermore 1915 — . . . — Map (db m126340) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Alnwick Quarters
Castle Quarters Alnwick Quarters Aln, Celtic for bright river, and wick, an Anglo-Saxon settlement, point towards the possible origins of Alnwick. From the Normans to the Tudors, Alnwick, with its mighty castle, offered a strategic defence . . . — Map (db m125983) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Alnwick War Memorial
This Column of Remembrance Is Dedicated to the Men of Alnwick Who Gave Their Lives In The Wars Of 1914 — 1918 & 1939 — 1945 We will remember them ( upper small plaque ) Korea War 1950 – 53 Flis. A. . . . — Map (db m126057) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Bosnian Army Gun
Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland Bosnian Croat Army 76mm Artillery Gun Regimental Sergeant Major Mac Leyland and Corporal Mac McGuiness, 1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers took possession of this gun when on peace-keeping duties in . . . — Map (db m126054) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Robertson’s Pant
Restored 1986 Presented by Adam Robertson to His Native Town 1890 Opened by Earl Percy June 8th 1891 Robertson’s Pant This fountain or pant was erected in 1890 by Adam Robertson local freeman and benefactor as a gift to his . . . — Map (db m126056) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Sir Henry Percy ‘Harry Hotspur’
Sir Henry Percy 'Harry Hotspur' c1364 – 1403 “...and by his light did all the chivalry of England move to do brave acts.” William Shakespeare - Henry IV, Part II This statue was commissioned by Alnwick Community Development . . . — Map (db m126055) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Sir Henry Percy Hotspur
Sir Henry Percy Hotspur Harry Hotspur was born at Alnwick Castle in 1364 or 1366 and was knighted in 1377 at the time when his father was created 1st Earl of Northumberland. He was supremely powerful in combat on land and sea, though sometimes his . . . — Map (db m125984) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — 19th Century Iron Mortar
Early 19th Century Iron Mortar Fitted to a wooden gun carriage this mortar is fitted with a cascabel. This ring at the breech or back of the cannon was used to attach lifting tackle when mounting or un-mounting it from its carriage. The mortar's . . . — Map (db m125930) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — 24 Pounder Cannons
It is believed that the castle acquired these two 24 pounder cannons when Napoleon was threatening to invade England in 1798. The stylised 'N' located on the left hand side of the breech is a naval service mark. This tells us that the cannons were . . . — Map (db m125934) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — 32 Pounder Cannon
This gun was purchased for £34.1.0. with an additional 74 barrels of gunpowder & a carriage bringing the total cost to £36.14.0. On 29th March 1784 Mr Cookson arranged to transport the 32 Pounder Gun on his sloop bound for Wareham, just outside . . . — Map (db m125936) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Bamburgh Castle Bell
This bell was originally in a cap house on top of the clock tower known also as the Belle Tower! As an integral part of the mechanism it sounded out at regular intervals. It was moved to its current site here in the apse of the chapel as its . . . — Map (db m125982) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Bamburgh Castle Coastguard Station
Bamburgh Castle Coastguard Station In 1771 The Crewe Trustees published an: “Account of the Signals made use of at Bamburgh Castle in the County of Northumberland in case Ships or Vessels are perceived in Distress, and of the charitable . . . — Map (db m125937) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Bamburgh’s Recorded History
547   Bamburgh’s Recorded History Begins Noted in the Anglo-Saxon chronicles, Ida the flamebearer conquers Din Guayrdi, Bamburgh, making it the capital of his kingdom of Bernicia. 607 – 634   Aethelfrith the Ravening Wolf Added . . . — Map (db m125927) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Chapel of St. Peter
These Are The Remains Of The Chapel In Which King Oswald’s Relics Were Kept. The Apse Dates From Norman Times. — Map (db m125980) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Home of Kings — Bamburgh Castle
Once home to the Kings of Northumbria, from King Ida in the mid 6 Century, through toLord Armstrong, a ‘King’ of Industry, Bamburgh Castle has dominated this coastline from wooden palisade to sandstone fortress. The story of Bamburgh goes . . . — Map (db m125923) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Mid-Tower Room
This vaulted room is the middle floor of three built into the easterly of two towers on the inner curtain wall. The tops of the towers were removed during re-modelling in the late 1800s and now form seating areas The lower room is identifiable . . . — Map (db m125978) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Northumbria’s Royal Throne
Originally discovered in the 19th century and thought to be a piece of a standing cross this piece of stone was later identified as belonging to a stone chair. It is currently on display in the Archaeology Room. It has been dated to around 800AD . . . — Map (db m125941) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Stocks
History Often confused with the pillory, stocks were only designed to hold the legs and occasionally arms, whereas the pillory held the head as well. Perhaps the most famous person placed in the stocks was Cardinal Wolsey after he got drunk at . . . — Map (db m125939) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — The Armada Gun
Dating from the late 1600s this cannon was affectionately named the Armada Gun as it was believed to have come from a Spanish Armada vessel after the fleet was driven up the North Sea Coast. It was later confirmed as a Dutch trading vessel that . . . — Map (db m125977) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — The Farne Islands — Bamburgh Castle
The islands before you are the Farne Islands between 15 and over 20 depending on the state of the tide. The islands were a renowned hazard to shipping and in the 18th Century, Dr Sharp, working for the Trustees of Lord Crewe, created one of . . . — Map (db m125925) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — 16th Century Bastle House
16th Century Bastle House Ruined buildings were adapted and new ones built at Housesteads in the centuries after the Romans left, when the land around became an upland farm. In the 16th century a local family built a fortified house onto the . . . — Map (db m126423) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — A Changing Fort
A Changing Fort During its 280-year life, many changes were made in the fort, no more so than to building XV. Over the years, it served as a workshop, a barracks, a stable, and a storehouse before a small bathhouse (balneae) was placed . . . — Map (db m126449) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — A military community
A military community Villages like Vindolanda were a vital part of the military occupation of Hadrian's Wall, and were planned extensions of the forts themselves. They provided extra space for facilities such as shops, workshops, additional . . . — Map (db m126419) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Allenheads War Memorial
To the Glory of God And in Proud and Loving Memory Of the Men of This Parish, Who Gave Their Lives in the Great War 1914 — 1918 William Frederick Pearson. Gilbert Graham. William Vickers. George Sparke. “Greater love . . . — Map (db m126414) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Barracks: the Last Hundred Years at Housesteads
Barracks: the Last Hundred Years at Housesteads Archaeology has revealed radical changes to the fort beginning around AD 300. One of the most important was the reconstruction of the barracks from single long buildings into smaller individual . . . — Map (db m126447) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Beneath the soil
The remains of the stone buildings that you see around you are but a fraction of what was once here at Vindolanda in ancient times. Before the last stone fort was built around AD213, eight forts had preceded it. Most of the earlier forts were . . . — Map (db m126354) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Chesterholm Museum
Vindolanda Charitable Trust Chesterholm Museum In 1831, Vindolanda's first excavator, Rev. Anthony Hedley, removed the remains of the derelict Scotsholm fulling mill, and built an ornate cottage for his family, calling it Chesterholm. Designed by . . . — Map (db m126356) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Crindledykes
Crindledykes Limekiln This is one of several limekilns built in this area in the nineteenth century to convert local limestone to quicklime for use in farming and building. Limestone and coal were hauled up the ramp and tipped into the pot for . . . — Map (db m126420) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Dolichenum
Dolichenum — Temple to Jupiter Dolichenus fanum livi Dolicheno dedicatum This was an extremely rare temple dedicated to the god Jupiter Dolichenus, built around AD220 inside the walls of the fort, probably by a commanding officer of . . . — Map (db m126416) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Mediterranean Style in Northern Climes
Mediterranean Style in Northern Climes All Roman forts included a large prestigious house (praetorium) for the commanding officer (praefectus), his family and servants. The praetorium was the largest building in the fort. The design came . . . — Map (db m126424) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — North West Quadrant Barracks
North West Quadrant barracks — excavated 2009-2011 These standard Roman Army barracks were constructed in cAD213 by the 4th cohort of Gauls and remained in use until the end of the 3rd century, after which they were demolished and replaced . . . — Map (db m126362) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Roman Pottery Kiln
Vindolanda Charitable Trust Roman Pottery Kiln This fully functional replica of a Roman up-draft pottery kiln, is based on information gained from the excavation of such kilns at archaeological sites across the North of England. The body of the . . . — Map (db m126355) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — S.P.Q.R.
S.P.Q.R. In Memory of the Soldiers Who Served Rome on the Frontier at Vindolanda. A.D. 85 — 400 Cohorts: I   Tungrorvm III   Batavorvm VIII   Batavorvm II   Nerviorvm III   Nerviorvm IV   Gallorvm And Detachments . . . — Map (db m126358) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Severan Circular Huts
Severan Circular Huts Below the NW quadrant of the fort the remains of a series of circalar huts dated to cAD208-212 have been uncovered. These huts appear to have been living accommodation for an unknown group of people during a time of . . . — Map (db m126415) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Comanding Officer and his House
The Comanding Officer and his House Each commanding officer (praefectus) of the fort was a nobleman of the equestrian class (equites), who might have been in charge of the soldiers at Housesteads for as little as three years before . . . — Map (db m126431) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Fort and its Design
The Fort and its Design Roman soldiers began to build Housesteads around AD 124 to a design used for forts across the Roman Empire. This fort is one of the best surviving examples, anywhere. Housesteads follows a text-book template, . . . — Map (db m126422) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Fort Food Supply
The Fort Food Supply Roman forts had granaries to store the huge quantities of food required by hundreds of soldiers. The food supply had to be safe, dry and constantly replenished. The granary (horreum) was essential for storing foods of . . . — Map (db m126439) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The heart of the fort
Three buildings dominated a Roman military settlement and these were all placed in the middle of the fort. The principia, praetorium and the horrea formed a central range of imposing buildings which could easily have been identified and located by . . . — Map (db m126360) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Heart of the Fort
The Heart of the Fort The headquarters building (principia) was the administrative, ceremonial and symbolic heart of the fort – where regimental organisation and the imperial state religion were focussed. The building was in the . . . — Map (db m126450) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Milestone
The Milestone Three hundred yards to the north of this place, at the side of the Stanegate road, stands the only Roman milestone from Britain to survive intact in its original position (although without an inscription). This replica milestone . . . — Map (db m126357) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The North Gate
The North Gate The north gate (porta principalis sinistra) is the only one of the original four which opened onto land beyond the Wall. However, the approach from the north was steep and the gate was eventually reduced to a minor . . . — Map (db m126444) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Severan fort
The Severan fort Castellum Severianum These buildings belonged to an earlier fort, used between AD208 – 211, during the reign of the African emperor Septimius Severus. The series of long rectangular buildings now on display were . . . — Map (db m126417) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Vicus
The Vicus Life Outside the Fort Soldiers and civilians mixed in the vicus, a settlement outside the fort. It was a lively community of people from many places in the Empire, engaged in trade, leisure and worship. Soldiers' sweethearts and . . . — Map (db m126421) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The village and fort
You are approaching the edge of the village (vicus), looking east towards the heart of the settlement where the vicus met the walls of the fort. Where you are standing today was the main temple precinct in the 3rd century. Temple buildings . . . — Map (db m126345) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Wall Arrives
The Wall Arrives In AD 122, the Emperor Hadrian's decision to build the Wall was transformed into action all along the frontier. The foundation for the Wall and a lookout tower were begun here at Housesteads, before everything changed... . . . — Map (db m126438) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Vindolanda Inscriptions
Exact Replicas of Vindolanda Inscriptions The three great altars and the tombstones were found built Anthony Hedley at Vindolanda in the early nineteenth century, and they are now in Chesters Museum. RIB 1685 Translation: Sacred to the . . . — Map (db m126359) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Where the Soldiers Lived
Where the Soldiers Lived Most of the space within the fort was occupied by barracks where the soldiers and their officers lived. In front of you are the wall foundations of building XIII, one of ten identical fort barracks completed under . . . — Map (db m126446) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Workshops
Workshops fabricae vel officinae These buildings, flanking a major roadway through the village (vicus), were 3rd century industrial workshops. Excavated in 2004, they appear to have been used in the initial stages of iron production. A number of . . . — Map (db m126344) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Morpeth — The Chapel — Warkworth Castle
This private chapel was once the most ornate room in the keep. It had a gallery above, warmed by a fireplace, for the Earl and his family. This lower level was used by servants. In the illustration the chaplain is saying daily prayers before . . . — Map (db m126118) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Morpeth — The Great Hall — Warkworth Castle
This is the largest room in the keep, rising to its full height. It was used not only for state banquets but also for holding court and the reception of important visitors, who might also be invited to dine with the Earl. The illustration . . . — Map (db m126101) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — 28 Clayton Street West
. . . — Map (db m126503) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — 36 Clayton Street West
Richard Grainger Bicentenary 1797   1997 36 Clayton Street West Home to Richard Grainger from 1842 to 1861 where he lived with his children and servants City of Newcastle upon Tyne — Map (db m126502) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — Bath Lane
Bath Lane This area outside the West Walls of the old town was known as the Warden's Close. According to the 17th century Newcastle historian, Gray, the Warden's Close formerly contained the house and gardens of the Warden of Tynemouth Priory. Near . . . — Map (db m126494) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — Danish Seamen’s Club
Danish Seamen’s Club From 1940 to 1945, Newcastle was the official home town to 3,000 Danish sailors, serving in the British Merchant Navy. St. Nicholas buildings housed their unions, clubs and the Danish Merchant Navy 1995 City . . . — Map (db m126490) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — Hadrian’s Wall
Hadrian's Wall Within this plot, covered by red concrete stand the lower courses of the south face of Hadrian's Wall built first in A.D. 122 from Newcastle upon Tyne to Bowness on Solway, and afterwards extended to Wallsend. A distance in all of 80 . . . — Map (db m126493) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — Literary & Philosophical Society
Robert Stephenson Bi-Centenary 2003 Literary & Philosophical Society Society established 1793. This building, designed by John Green, opened in 1825. Robert Stephenson was President of the Society, 1855 – 59 City of Newcastle . . . — Map (db m126491) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — Sir Joseph Wilson Swan
RSC Advancing the Chemical Sciences National Chemical Landmark Sir Joseph Wilson Swan FRS (1828 – 1914) Chemist, physicist and inventor of the incandescent light bulb which he first demonstrated at a public lecture here on 3 . . . — Map (db m126492) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — Thomas Bewick
. . . — Map (db m126504) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Newcastle upon Tyne — Victoria Cross Recipients
In Remembrance of, and Respect for, those Born in Newcastle upon Tyne Who have been Awarded the Victoria Cross for Valour. This Memorial was erected by Newcastle City Council on behalf of the People of the City. Private . . . — Map (db m126501) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Shilbottle — Shilbottle War Memorial
World War I Robert Baxter · George W. Buglass · Thomas H. Charlton · William Darling · Joseph J. Dunn · Robert Green · Joseph R. Hall · John Hindhaugh · George Slater · John Smails · William Smails · James J. Thompson · Alexander J. Tweedy · Thomas . . . — Map (db m126100) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — 1859 Gun
This Coast Artillery Piece of 1859 Commemorates the Centenary of the Tynemouth Volunteer Artillery 1859 — 1959 Erected by O Tynemouth Battery 439 Tyne Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery Territorial Army This Plaque . . . — Map (db m126166) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — 6 Inch Gun
Master Gunner, St. James’s Park, General Sir Martin Farndale K.C.B. visited Tynemouth gun emplacement on 6th November 1998. His visit commemorated the Installation of a 6 inch gun. — Map (db m126164) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Lost Buildings
Lost Buildings From the late 18th century the large empty area in front of you was the hub of a busy military fort. A large barrack block stood just ahead of you. To its right was the Governor's House, and further to the right was a tall . . . — Map (db m126167) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Site of Tynemouth Lighthouse
Tyne and Wear County Council 1986 Site of Tynemouth Lighthouse A lighthouse was built here in 1664 using stone from the Priory. It is likely that this tower replaced a medieyal light in the Priory buildings. Demolished in 1898 and replaced by . . . — Map (db m126163) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Stone Detectives — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
Stone Detectives The pieces of carved stone in this room came from different buildings around the site. The surviving ruins of Tynemouth Priory are only a small part of the buildings that were once large and elaborate. But these small pieces . . . — Map (db m126124) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Cloister — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Cloister The large grass square in front of you was the monastery's cloister. It was surrounded by the monks' main living quarters. Very little remains of these buildings today – the army demolished most of them for their stone . . . — Map (db m126122) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Gatehouse — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Gatehouse Tynemouth's gatehouse is an imposing piece of architecture. It looks more like part of a castle than an entrance to a monastery. Tynemouth Priory needed defences because it was so close to the Scottish border and the Scots . . . — Map (db m126121) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Priory Church — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Priory Church In the 11th century, a great Norman baron, Robert Mowbray, earl of Northumbrian, founded a stone church and monastery here and gave the monks a vast area of land. There were very few stone buildings in the area then and . . . — Map (db m126123) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Shrine Area — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Shrine Area In 1065 the priest at Tynemouth found some human bones under the church – these were believed to be the remains of a Saxon saint, St Oswine. Local people began to make pilgrimages to his tomb, believing that the . . . — Map (db m126125) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
Welcome to Tynemouth Priory and Castle Today, the headland at Tynemouth is empty and its buildings are ruined. But 500 years ago this area was home to a community of monks. The ruined church in front of you was part of a rich Benedictine . . . — Map (db m126119) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — How Does Wilson Dam Work?
Wilson Dam Potential floodwaters that surge downstream on the Tennessee River are collected in Wilson Lake. Then, through carefully controlled releases, the water is gradually sent through the dam. Releasing water through the dam serves . . . — Map (db m124083)
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — First Muscle Shoals Canal/Second Muscle Shoals Canal1836-1838/1890-1918
(side 1) First Muscle Shoals Canal 1836-1838 From the earliest attempts to navigate the Tennessee River, it was known that a formidable obstacle made the passage from one end to the other almost impossible. This barrier, caused by . . . — Map (db m125572) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 35 — Rose TreeMuseum
In 1934, Robert Ripley declares the Rose Bush the World's Largest in the Newspaper column "Believe it or Not". The fire of May 26th, 1882, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House . . . — Map (db m125645) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Grand Canyon Village — Spanish Discovery
Near here in late summer of 1540, soldiers from the Spanish expedition of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado became the first Europeans to see Grand Canyon. After journeying for six months, Coronado's army arrived at the Hopi mesas, east of Grand . . . — Map (db m125895) HM
California (Amador County), Ione — 30 — Lancha Plana(No. 30 California Historical Landmark)
In 1848, Mexican Settlers from Sonora, Mexico established a camp on the north back of the Mokelumne River and called it Sonora Bar. At the start of the California Gold Rush miners flocked to the Mokelumne River and set up camps and towns along its . . . — Map (db m126094) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Bell Gardens — 984 — Casa de Rancho San AntonioHenry Gage Mansion
Contained within this building are the remaining portions of an adobe house built by Francisco Salvador Lugo and his son Antonio María Lugo. Francisco Lugo was a prominent early landholder and Antonio served as the Alcalde of Los Angeles. They . . . — Map (db m125567) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 37 — The Pig ‘n Whistle
Sidney Hoedemaker opened Hollywood's first family restaurant (that welcomed children) in 1927 and featured rich, hand-carved wood decor. Popular tunes were played on a pipe organ. The Hollywood Glee Club performed Friday evenings. Loreatta Young . . . — Map (db m125716) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 12 — Warner Pacific Theatre
Built by Warner Bros. in 1928 to be the crown jewel of its West Coast theaters. Sam Warner oversaw construction but died before it was completed. His ghost is said to haunt the building. The Italian Renaissance exterior design theme is continued . . . — Map (db m125717) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Inglewood — 363 — Centinela SpringsAguaje de la Centinela
On this site, bubbling springs once flowed from their source in a deep water basin which has existed continuously since the Pleistocene Era. Prehistoric animals, Indians, and early Inglewood settlers were attracted here by the pure artesian water. . . . — Map (db m126337) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Christopher Columbus
Born in Genoa, Italy, in 1451; Died May 20, 1506, at the age of 55, in Valladolid, Spain; Sailed to the New World under the coat of arms of Castile and Aragon; Landed October 12, 1492 at the isle of San Salvador in the West Indies; Made three . . . — Map (db m126092) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Honoring The LivesSylmar Tunnel Disaster
On June 24, 1971, an explosion and fire took the lives of seventeen construction workers building a tunnel in Sylmar, California. The tunnel was being built for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California by the Lockheed Shipbuilding and . . . — Map (db m126024) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 22 — Site of the Vine Street Brown Derby
The most famous Hollywood restaurant of its day, the Brown Derby opened Valentine's Day, 1929. Owner Robert Cobb was also the inventor of the Cobb Salad. He originated furnishing telephones at tables during mealtime. Celebrities’ popularity was . . . — Map (db m125718) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Northridge — Lauretta Wasserstein Sculpture Garden“Post-Tension”
On January 17, 1994, Los Angeles and the surrounding region experienced a 6.7 magnitude earthquake centered in Northridge. To commemorate the rebuilding of the region and CSUN, we created the sculpture garden incorporating remnants of the . . . — Map (db m125974) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Studio City — 151 — Campo de CahuengaOriginal Adobe
Beneath this park rest the stone foundations and floor tiles of the historic adobe where Mexican General Andres Pico and U.S. Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont signed the Treaty of Cahuenga on January 13, 1847. Signing the Treaty ended the . . . — Map (db m126025) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Lest We Forget1971 Sylmar Earthquake
This tablet presented February 9, 1979, to the Veterans Memorial Park, in loving memory of the many veterans, nurses, and aids of the San Fernando Valley Veterans Hospital, whose lives were lost during the earthquake of February 9, 1971. — Map (db m126036) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House
Situated below this hill, directly below the hotel, is the Pablo Pryor Adobe-Hide House. Built perhaps as early as 1790, it is possibly the oldest standing adobe in California. During the Rancho period, it was used for storing cattle hide from the . . . — Map (db m125441) HM
California (Riverside County), Whitewater — RIV-003 — Whitewater
Site of Cahuilla Indian Village of Wanapiapa, home of the Wanakik Lineage. Visited by Jose Romero Expedition exploring overland route from Sonora to California 1823. Eastern boundary of Rancho San Gorgonio. Adobe south of highway served as Stage . . . — Map (db m126302) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Boron — Capt. Mel Apt, USAFPilot of the Bell X-2 — In Memory of his Contribution
First human being to reach and exceed Mach 3 - 2094 mph. Perished near this site on September 27th 1956 while returning to base on the first manned Mach Three mission in history. The Bell X-2, AFSN# 46-674, crashed at this location . . . — Map (db m125805) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Lucerne Valley — The Last Indian Fight in Southern California
In January 1867 Indians left their camp east of Chimney Rock to go into the San Bernardino Mountains where they looted and burned several cabins and a sawmill. In retaliation, a possee surprised the Indians at their camp and killed and wounded many, . . . — Map (db m125886) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — Olive MillGraber Olive House
This mill was used in the early days of California. Olives were placed in the large vessel and crushed by the solid granite wheels, weighing about 12,000 lbs. The crushed olives were pushed into burlap sacks that were placed over the gate. The . . . — Map (db m125806) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 43 — Mill Creek Zanja
Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan Fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch (or "zanja") in 1819-20. In historical sequence the zanja . . . — Map (db m125944) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — First Firehouse Site - 1892
Coronado Historical Landmark First Firehouse Site - 1892 — Map (db m125571) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Cold Springs Tavern
In 1868 this tavern was known as "Cold Springs Relay Station". It was the half-way stop between "Mattei's Tavern" to the north, and Patrick Kinevan's "Summit House" to the south. In those days sturdy stagecoaches known as "mudwagons" traveled . . . — Map (db m125376) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 361 — Old Lobero Theatre
Jose Lobero opened the region's first legitimate theatre on this site February 22, 1873. For many years the old theatre was the center of social life in Santa Barbara. A new Lobero Theatre, opened in 1924 on the same site, continues to serve the . . . — Map (db m126018) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Santa Cruz Hall of Records 1882 / Salón de archivos de Santa Cruz 1882
English text: The Octagon is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Santa Cruz. Architect John Wesley Newcum modeled the building after a $50 octagonal shaped gold piece first minted in San Francisco in 1851. The building, made . . . — Map (db m126026) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor Locks — Beacon and Tower
Beacon and Tower In the late 1920's and early 1930's, powerful rotating beacons were installed at approximately twenty mile intervals along most of the major airways in the U.S. to facilitate night operations. Even as radio aids were developed, the . . . — Map (db m126452) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Windsor Locks — Connecticut Fallen Firefighters’ Memorial
Connecticut Fallen Firefighters’ Memorial The design of the Memorial was conceived by the Connecticut Firefighters Memorial Committee and incorporates a plaza-like setting featuring a brick patio in the form of a Maltese cross, the universal symbol . . . — Map (db m126451) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — Cargill Falls Mill
On this site, Benjamin Cargill operated a grist mill originally built in 1730, adding a distillery and other shops in 1760. The Pomfret Manufacturing Company later built the Pomfret Cotton Mills to produce textile products in 1807; it is the . . . — Map (db m126039) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — Morse Mansion
This circa 1868 2 1/2-story Victorian Italianate villa-style home was built by textile magnate George Morse overlooking the Quinebaug River in sight of three of his mills. With the addition of wings, this building has been integrated into the . . . — Map (db m126032) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — The Flood of 1955The rebirth of Putnam — Putnam River Trail
On August 19 1955, the Quinebaug River, fueled by rain from Hurricane Diana, overflowed its banks and flooded Putnam. Unlike earlier floods of the 1880s and 1930s, the flood of 1955 caused extensive damage. As the river carved a new channel . . . — Map (db m126037) HM

730 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 530
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.