Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1405 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1205
 
Martyrs Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, July 23, 2018
Martyrs Marker
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Martyrs
Miltidk Marjani • Selim Myftari • Astrit Toto • Sadik Rusto • Niko Stefani DESHMOREVE QERANE KETU NEPERPJEKJE ME FORCAT NAZISTE ME 2.10.1943 English translation: This is a very rough translation based on only a few words . . . — Map (db m126783) HM WM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Roman Town PlanningPlanimetria e tipit romak — Periudha Romake/II Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: A . . . — Map (db m126943) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Sacred OriginsOrigjina e shenjtë — Periudha Helenistike/III Cent. BC/Hellenistic period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Butrint . . . — Map (db m126891) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Baptistery and its mosaic pavementsPagëzimorja dhe mozaikët e dyshemeve të saj
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126921) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Changing SettlementHistoria e vendbanimit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) bottom left, top) and English (bottom left, bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126888) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The channel-side city wallMuret e qytetit përgjatë Kanalit të Vivarit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126944) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Expansion of ButrintZgjerimi i Butrintit — Periudha Romake/II Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: By the . . . — Map (db m126918) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Great BasilicaBazilika e Madhe
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126949) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Lion GatePorta e Luanit
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (bottom left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126951) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Roman ForumForumi romak — Periudha Romake/I Cent. AD/Roman period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (upper left) and English (upper right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126919) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The Sanctuary of AsclepiusFaltorja e Asklepit — Periudha Helenistike/III Cent. BC/Hellenistic period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (top right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126913) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — The TheatreTeatri
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (center left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126914) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Kasmil — Venetians at ButrintVenecianët në Butrint — Periudha Veneciane/XVI Cent. AD/Venetian Period
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (top left) and English (bottom left). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip) text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126884) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — Kalaja e OnhezmitThe Castle of Saranda
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: It's . . . — Map (db m126795) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — Nicolae Iorga
The texts on this marker are written in Romanian? (top), Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Romanian and Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. . . . — Map (db m126792) HM
Albania, Vlorë (county) (Municipality of Sarandé), Sarandë — SinagogueBasilica Archeological Remains V-VI Century
The texts on this marker are written in Albanian (shqip) (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Albanian (shqip), text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Sinagogue - . . . — Map (db m126803) HM
Australia, New South Wales (Council of the Sydney), The Rocks — Legacy
Captain Stanley Savige formed Legacy in 1923, as an offshoot of the Remembrance Club founded by Major General Sir John Gellibrand to help former servicemen struggling to re-establish themselves after World War I. The Legacy Club changed its . . . — Map (db m126551) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Der "Neue Hof" mit den Goldenen Dachl
German: Der "neue" Hof war im 15. Jahrhundert die Residenz von Herzog Friedrich IV. "mit der leeren Tasche" und Sigmund "dem Münzreichen". Den mit 2657 feuervergoldeten Kupferschindeln gedeckten spätgotischen Prunkerker ließ . . . — Map (db m126003) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Historisches Rathaus
German: 1358 errichtet, erfuhr das Gebäude im Laufe der Zeit mehrere bauliche Veränderungen. Es diente bis 1897 als Sitz des Magistrats. Im Erdgeschoß befanden sich eine Kaufhalle und die Brotbank, im ersten Stock waren die . . . — Map (db m126004) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — HölblinghausHerzog-Friedrich-Straße 10
German: Dieses gotische Bürgerhaus des 15. Jahrhunderts erhielt vermutlich von dem um 1723 nach Innsbruck übersiedelten Stuchateur Anton Gigl aus Wessobrunn seine üppige barocke Fassade. Der Name des Hauses geht auf Sebastain . . . — Map (db m125996) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Prechthaus
German: Das Prechthaus stammt aus dem 15. Jahrhundert und wurde um 1540 unter Dr. Basilius Precht durch Gregor Türing umgebaut. 1588 erwarb es Hofkanzler Dr. Justinian Moser, im 17. Jahrhundert war es im Besitz der Grafen . . . — Map (db m126005) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Triumphpforte
German: Die nach alter Tradition der Begrüßungspforten urbaute Ehrenpforte wurde im Jahre 1765 anlässlich der Hochzeit des späteren Kaisers Leopold II. mit der spanischen Infantin Maria Ludovica aus Steinen des Vorstadttores . . . — Map (db m126011) HM
Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — 100e anniversaire de l'église Notre-Dame-des-Neiges100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Snows Church — 1887 - 1987

Hommage aux fondateurs

Architecte: David Ouellet Constructeurs: Augustin Audet • Hubert Morin

Cures: Desire Vezina Ptre Damase Morisset Ptre

Monument erige a l'occasion du centenaire de la construction de . . . — Map (db m126127) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Le Cheval Noir / The Black Horse

Une œuvre de l'artiste-sculpteur Michael Bergstaller

Haute de 5 mètres, cette sculpture est composée de tiges et de plaques d'acier ancrées sur un radier de béton armé. Cabré sur ses pattes arrière, le Cheval Noir s'éloigne . . . — Map (db m126126) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'île-aux-Basques / Isle of the Basques

Sur L'île aux Basques, on voit encore les vestiges de fourneaux construits par les Basques. Le Père Nouvel et ses néophytes papinachois se retirèrent sur l'île aux Basques, en 1666, pour se protéger contre les . . . — Map (db m126165) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'Institutionnel Église - Couvent - PresbytèreThe Institution of Church - Convent - Rectory

L'église des Trois-Pistoles, ce temple, ce monument. Elle est, sous plus d'un chapitre, l'histoire même du milieu, nous rappelant le grand déplacement de la communauté « d'en-bas vers en-haut » et l'avènement d'une période . . . — Map (db m126088) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Défense du Canada / Defense of Canada

En l'honneur des braves qui ont combattu lors de la bataille de « Châteauguay » le 26 octobre 1813 et celle de « Crysler's Farm » le 11 novembre 1813.

Plus de 1000 miliciens du Bas-Saint-Laurent (District de Cornwallis du . . . — Map (db m126707) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Du moulin à la maison / From the mill to the housele mur de madriers empilés / the wall of stacked planks — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

En pays forestier, on ne lésine pas sur l'emploi du bois : comme pour les maisons en rondins ou en pièces sur pièces, c'est à la grande abondance du bois qu'on doit l'existence de bâtiments en madriers empilés. La maison de . . . — Map (db m126801) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Façons de France ...en Amérique / French Ways ...in Americaune charpente de colombages / a half-timbered frame — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

À leur arrivée en Nouvelle-France, les colons débarquent avec armes et bagages, amenant ici les outils, les traditions et les savoir-faire de leurs contrées d'origine. Ainsi, les maçonneries en pierre de Bretagne, les colombages en . . . — Map (db m127082) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Fumée de mer / Smoke from the SeaÉmilie Rondeau — 2017

Dans la nuit du 29 mai 1914, un dense brouillard étouffe le son de la cloche de brume de l'Empress of Ireland. Quatorze minutes plus tard, le fleuve glacial engloutit le navire et 1012 de ses passages. À partir d'éléments . . . — Map (db m127342) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La maison du commerce / The House of Commerce

À partir de la fin du XVIIIe siècle, sous la poussée de l'industrialisation, les marchands offrent des produits manufacturés. Ceux-ci sont exposés dans une salle d'échantillons avec de larges fenêtres invitant le client à . . . — Map (db m127319) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La station de pilotage / The pilotage stationL'histoire du marin Koning / First Officer Koning's story — Parcours historique et maritime / Maritime and history route

La station de pilotage

Le fleuve Saint-Laurent est une voie d'eau dangereuse. On sait que dès 1815, pour guider les navires vers Québec, plusieurs pilotes offrent leurs services depuis Pointe-au-Père, désignée alors comme la . . . — Map (db m127181) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le Manoir Seigneurial

À son arrivée à Rimouski en 1696, le seigneur René Lepage construit, près de la rivière, une maison en colombage d'environ 6 mètres (20 pieds) sur 15,2 mètres (50 pieds) et une petite scierie pour les besoins de la jeune . . . — Map (db m126441) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le phare de Pointe-au-Père / Point-au-Père Lighthouse

Ce lieu a joue un rôle clé dans l'histoire maritime du pays à titre de station de pilotage et de feu de navigation. C'était à Pointe-au-Père, où le golfe et le fleuve Saint-Laurent se confondent, que les navires changeaient de pilote. . . . — Map (db m126852) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le temps de s'établir / Time to Settlela construction de bois rond / round wood construction — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

Les contrées de colonisation regorgent de forêts : or il faut abattre les arbres pour pouvoir cultiver la terre.

On recourt donc aux outils les plus rudimentaires —la hache du bûcheron— pour se bâtir rapidement une . . . — Map (db m127091) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — L'épave du/The Wreck of RMS Empress of Ireland

Le naufrage de ce vaisseau majestueux, le 29 mai 1914, causa la mort de 1 012 personnes, représentant la plus grave tragédie maritime de l'histoire canadienne. Son épave, au large de Sainte-Luce, constitue l'exemple le plus complet au . . . — Map (db m126935) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les Fusiliers du St-LaurentLe soldat de la cote / The Soldiers of the Coast — Parcours historique et maritime / Maritime and history route

Le 9 avril 1869, suite à la Confédération, la première unité canadienne-française est formée; elle est composée de deux bataillons provisoires : celui du Témiscouata et celui de Rimouski. Le 1er novembre 1920, suite à . . . — Map (db m127288) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les gardiens de phare / The lightkeepers

L'âme du phare Le gardien et son assistant participent à la sécurité de la navigation sur une section du fleuve. Prenant leur quart de travail tour à tour, ils assurent une présence 24 heures sur 24 pendant la saison de . . . — Map (db m126901) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les pilotes / The pilots

Le plus vieux métier du pays Naviguer sur le Saint-Laurent est très risqué. Les Européens l'ont vite compris. Par conséquent, on fait appel aux pilotes depuis les débuts du Régime français. Avec le temps, le métier s'est perpétué . . . — Map (db m127133) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les pilotes du Saint-Laurent / St. Lawrence Pilots

Depuis le milieu du XVIIe siècle, des pilotes professionnels n'ont cesse de marquer l'histoire de la navigation sur le fleuve Saint-Laurent en conduisant les navires entre le golfe et Montréal. Ces experts du transport . . . — Map (db m126853) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maison Lamontagne House

Cette maison est érigée vers 1744 pour Marie-Agnès Lepage, fille du seigneur de Rimouski, et son époux Basile Côté. Leur fille, Geneviève Côté, en devient propriétaire en 1791 et la fait agrandir au début du XIXe siècle par . . . — Map (db m126729) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maisons d'aujourd'hui / Today's Houses

Le paysage du Québec moderne est fait de bungalows; notre époque y ajoute maints petits chateâux victoriens. Peut-on encore dire de nos maisons qu'elles sont «québécoises»?

C'est un fait que la rentabilité foncière, la . . . — Map (db m127120) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Monument commémoratif de guerre / War Memorial

Aux braves du district de Rimouski tombés au champ d'honneur 1914 - 1918

[Rouleau de morts honorés]

Membres des Forces Armées morts au champ d'honneur 1939-1945

[Rouleau de morts honorés]

Corée . . . — Map (db m126473) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Père Nouvel[Father Nouvel]

Historique

De 1961 à 1967, le plus grand traversier brise-glace de l'époque, le N.M. Père Nouvel, fut en opération entre Pointe-au-Père et Baie-Comeau. Il marqua le début d'une ère nouvelle dans le domaine du transport . . . — Map (db m127165) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Pierre des champs... pierre des villes / Stones of the fields... stones of the citiesles ouvrages de maçonnerie / the works of masonry — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

L'usage de la pierre pour la construction s'est développé tout autant à la campagne qu'à la ville, bien que les autorités aient souvent contraint les citadins à construire "en dur" par mesure de protection contre les incendies. . . . — Map (db m127047) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Polyvalence / Versatility

La station à tout faire La particularité de la station de Point-au-Père était sa polyvalence. Autour de phare et du poste de pilotage, se greffaient divers services et fonctions. La station a même servi de laboratoire dans . . . — Map (db m127135) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Rimouski War of 1812 Honored Dead

En hommage aux trois miliciens de Rimouski décédés des blessures subies lors des batailles de « Châteauguay » le 26 octobre 1813 et de « Crysler's Farm » le 11 novembre 1813 et inhumés au cimetière de La Prairie.

François Ruhait . . . — Map (db m126718) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Seigneur René Lepage de Sainte-ClaireLord René Lepage of St. Clair

En hommage au Seigneur René Lepage de Sainte-Claire fondateur de Rimouski

Symbolique du monument

Le socle de pierre illustre l'enracinement des ancêtres en terre de France.

La table de béton . . . — Map (db m126720) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Sur un squelette... de bois / On a skeleton... of woodla charpente à ossature de bois / Wood Frame Framing — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

Avec l'exploitation massive des forêts, les bois de construction de forte taille ont commencé à se faire rares. À compter de la fin du siècle dernier, par conséquent, les manières de construire se sont peu à peu transformées, en faveur . . . — Map (db m126731) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Un jeu de blocs... d'argile / A set of blocks ... of clayl'assemblage de brique structurale / Structural brick assembly — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

L'usage de la brique ne date pas d'hier : on l'utilise depuis des millénaires. Il se produisait déjà, en petites quantités, de la brique d'argile cuite en Nouvelle-France.

Per après la Conquête, suivant l'exemple britannique, le . . . — Map (db m126848) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Une forêt pour sa maison / A forest for his housela construction de pièces sur pièces / the construction of pieces on pieces — De pierre, de bois, de brique / Stone, Wood, Brick

C'est surtout en milieu rural, là où les maisons étaient plus éloignées les unes des autres, que l'usage du bois pour les habitations permanentes va se généraliser.

Dès le début du 18e siècle, la maison de pièces sur pièces . . . — Map (db m126962) HM

Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Fort Impérial - the Empire's FortFort Impérial - Carska tvrđava
Croatian: Izardena 1806.-1812. u urijeme francuske vlasti u Dubrovniku i posvećena Napoleonu I. Od 1815. do 1882. austrijska je vojska proširuje i nadograđuje. U Domovinskom rate, 1991.-1995., tvedava je postals simbol . . . — Map (db m126977) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county), Dubrovnik — Grad Dubrovnik
Croatian: PLAN GRADA S OBILJEŽENIM OŠTEĆENJIMA NASTALIM U AGRESIJI JUGOSLAVENSKE ARMIJE SRBA I CRNOGORACA NA DUBROVNIK 1991-1992 GODINE English: City map with the sites of damage caused by the . . . — Map (db m126979) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Marco PoloMarko Polo
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Marco Polo, the famous medieval figure, explorer, traveller and travel writer. The place of his . . . — Map (db m127112) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Reconstruction of the House of Marco Polo 2015.-2020.Rekonstrucija Nuće Marka Pola 2015.-2020.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. We apologize for possible inconvenience caused by temporary works. -- The Town of Korčula . . . — Map (db m127110) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — Silk RoadPut Svile
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The journey of Marco Polo to China began in 1271. His father Nicola and uncle Mateo traveled a . . . — Map (db m127111) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Memorial TabletSpomen Ploča
Croatian: Oslobođenja Grada Korčule 25.IV.1941 - Talijansko-Fasisticka Okupacija 9.IX.1943 - Korčulanski P.O.Oslobodio Grad 23.IX.1943 - Njemačko - Nacistička Okupacija 13.IX.1944 - . . . — Map (db m127105) HM WM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Naval Battle in the Waters Off KorčulaPomorska Bitka u Voddama Korčule
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The famous naval battle between Venice and Genoa took place in the Pelješac Channel, along the . . . — Map (db m127109) HM
Croatia, Dubrovnik-Neretva (county) (Korčula (island)), Korčula — The Town of KorčulaGrad Korčula
is situated on the island of the same name and it encompasses administratively the settlements of Čara, Pudnat, Žmovo, Račišće and the town of Korčula itself. Korkyra Melaina, the wooded Korčula, as it was named by the . . . — Map (db m127106) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Diocletian's Mausoleum / Cathedral of St. DujamMauzolej - Katedrala
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The mausoleum of the Emperor Diocletian was built at the beginning of the 4th century, as one of . . . — Map (db m127356) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Jupiter Temple(Baptistery of St. John)
The Temple of Jupiter (Croatian: Jupiterov hram) is a temple dedicated to the Jupiter, Ancient Roman God of sky and thunder and king of the Gods. Temple is located in the western part of the Diocletian's palace near the Peristyle, the central square . . . — Map (db m127358) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Cambi PalacePalača Cambi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Gothic palace of the old Split patrician family of Cambi was built in the first half of the . . . — Map (db m127414) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Church of St MartinCrkva sv. Martina
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. One of the first little churches in Diocletian's Palace, it was built in the 5th-6th century in . . . — Map (db m127415) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Ciprianis-Benedetti PalacePalača Ciprianis-Benedetti
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The palace was built in 1394 for the Split nobleman Cipriano de Ciprianis (C. Žaninić . . . — Map (db m127320) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Dragišić (De Caris) PalacePalača Dragišić (De Caris)
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This is an originally Romanesque house of the 13th century, with Gothic and Renaissance . . . — Map (db m127417) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Golden Gate Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the second half of the 15th century, the design and execution of which . . . — Map (db m127416) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Karepić PalacePalača Karepić
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of the patrician family of Karepić, which moved from Trogir to . . . — Map (db m127361) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Milesi PalacePalača Milesi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This palace in the Baroque style with the characteristic sequence of round openings for shops on . . . — Map (db m127374) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The One-time Convent of the Poor Clares of St. NicholasNedadašnji samostan klarisa sv. Nikole
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A complex on the site of the one-time triclinium and the residential sector of Diocletian's . . . — Map (db m127322) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Pavlović PalacePalača Pavlović
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of an old Split patrician family of the 16th century. It was extended in . . . — Map (db m127413) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Sulphur SpaSumporne toplice
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This building of 1903 designed by Kamilo Tončić is an important specimen, with its . . . — Map (db m127321) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Town Hall
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The old Gothic town hall is the only remaining building complex that was knocked down in 1825 . . . — Map (db m127371) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Arsenal / Historical Shipyard, 14th-17th cent.Arsenal / povijesno brodogradilište, 14.-17. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The first Arsenal was built between 1292 and 1331 and it was used as a shipyard for galleys. New . . . — Map (db m127191) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Benedictine Convent and Church of St. Anthony the Abbot, 17th - 18th cent.Samostan benediktinki i crkva st. Antuna opata, 17. - 18. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Benedictine Convent has been located here since 1664, originally the residential complex of . . . — Map (db m127150) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Church of the Annunciation, 14th-17th cent.Crkva Navještenja / Anuncijata, 14.-17. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Gothic-Renaissance church was first mentioned in the 14th cent. It had a very important role . . . — Map (db m127194) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Church of the Holy Spirit, 15th cent.Crkva sv. Duha, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The late Gothic Church of the Holy Spirit was built at the end of the 15th cent. by the . . . — Map (db m127247) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Gate / Porta BadoerGradska vrata / Porta Badoer
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Fortica fortress. . . . — Map (db m127244) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Walls, 15th cent.Gradske zidine, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Building of medieval City Walls started after the decision of the Venetian authorities in 1278. . . . — Map (db m127147) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — City Walls, 15th cent.Gradske zidine, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Building of medieval City Walls started after the decision of the Venetian authorities in 1278. . . . — Map (db m127151) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Clock Tower / Leroj, 15th cent.Kula sa atom / Leroj, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Originally in the defensive system of the city walls, Clock Tower used to belong the Duke's . . . — Map (db m127195) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Jakša Palace, 15th cent.Palača Jakša, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Gothic Jakša palace wast built at the end of the 15th cent. next to the southern city walls. The . . . — Map (db m127149) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Paladini Palace, lower, 15th - 19th cent.Palača Paladini, donna, 15. - 19. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The lower Paladini Palace was built by the galley commander and knight Nikiola Paladinić in . . . — Map (db m127240) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Porta MaestraPorta Maestra
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Frotica . . . — Map (db m127186) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — St. Mary's GateVrata sv. Marije
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. City walls enclose the northern part of the city and they are connected with the Frotica . . . — Map (db m127146) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — St. Stephen's square / Piazza, 15th cent.Trg. Sv.Stjepana / Pjaca, 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Central square in the city of Hvar or Piazza is the largest square in Dalmatia. Originally it was . . . — Map (db m127241) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Hvar — Užižić Palace (Hektorović Palace), 15th cent.Palača Užižić (palača Hektorvić), 15. st.
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Palace Užižić, earlier known as the Hektorović Palace incorrectly, was built about . . . — Map (db m127188) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county) (Hvar (island)), Velo Grablje — Varnenica Na Roskarsnicu1914 (Lookout)
Only the English text (bottom) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (top), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. Vapnenica is one of several local words denoting a limekiln, When burnt, the piled stone burns . . . — Map (db m127145) HM
Czech Republic, Plzeňský (Okres Plzeň-město), Plzeň — Díky, Ameriko!Thank You America!
(Czech Column) Diky, Ameriko! Dne 6. Května 1945 město Plzeň bylo osvobozeno Americkou Armádou (English Column) Thank You America! On May 6th 1945 the city of Plzeň was liberated . . . — Map (db m126920) WM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Hovedbygningen / Main BuildingKøbenhavns Universitet / University Of Copenhagen
På dette sted opførte universitetet efter reformationen i 1536 sin første hovedbygning, som nedbrændte under Københavns brand i 1728. Efter at være genopført nedbrændte den igen under englændernes bombardement i 1807.

Den nuværende . . . — Map (db m127263) HM

Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Hans Christian Andersen - School
"Her løb jeg om med træskoe paa og gik i fattigskole —"

Her var indtil aar 1847 byens fattiggaard og fattigskole

-

(English translation:)

"Here I ran on wooden shoes and went to a school for the . . . — Map (db m127249) HM

Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — The Oldest Kingdom of the World
Once upon a time - a thousand years ago - there was a king of Denmark named Gorm the Old. All through the years his family has ruled the oldest kingdom of the world, and the present Queen Margareth II is a descendant of the old King Gorm. — Map (db m127254) HM
France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (Vaucluse), Bonnieux — Rue Droite
Tout au long de la rue, vous pourrez observer sur les façades les traces des anciennes boutiques d’artisans, échoppes d’artisans, estaminets du Moyen Age. Le prétoire, la prison et la maison commune se trouvaient un peu plus bas. La . . . — Map (db m126522) HM
France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (Vaucluse), Bonnieux — Rue Droite
Tout au long de la rue, vous pourrez observer sur les façades les traces des anciennes boutiques d’artisans, échoppes d’artisans, estaminets du Moyen Age. Le prétoire, la prison et la maison commune se trouvaient un peu plus bas. La fontaine à . . . — Map (db m126523) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Hof CastellMarktplatz 1
Im Mittelalter stand hier 1317 erstmals urkundlich erwähnte "Gressenhof". Der Renaissancebau stammt aus der 2. Hälfte des 16. Jahrhdts. Von 1830 bis 1945 "Hotel Mittelsbacher Hof". Am 16. März 1945 durch Bomben zerstört. 1955 zu . . . — Map (db m127267) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Church of the Holy Apostles (ca. A.D. 1000)
ΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΝ ΑΓΙΟΝ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΩΝ (περίπου 1000 μ.Χ.) (Text in Greek on the left side. To read . . . — Map (db m126138) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Odeion of Agrippa and Gymnasium or "Palace of the Giants"
ΩΛΕΙΟ ΤΟΥ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΚΑΙ ΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟ Ή "ΑΝΑΚΤΟΡΟ ΤΩΝ . . . — Map (db m126134) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Stoa of Attalos (159-138 B.C.)
ΣΤΟΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΤΤΑΛΟΥ (156-138 π.X.) (Text in Greek on the left side) English: The Stoa, on the east side of the Ancient Agora, was the gift of Attalos . . . — Map (db m126105) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of Apollo Patroos, Temple of Zeus Pharatrios and Athena Phratria, Benches or "Synedrion"
ΝΑΟΣ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΟΣ ΠΑΤΡΩΟΥ. ΝΑΟΣ ΔΙΟΣ ΦΡΑΤΡΙΟΥ ΚΑΙ . . . — Map (db m126136) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of HephaistosΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΟΥ — (ca. 460-415 BC)/(περ 460-415 π.Χ.)
A Doric peripteral temple, with pronaos (fore-temple), cella (inner shrine), and opisthonaos (rear wing), the best preserved of its type in the Greek world. The facade of the pronaos and opisthonaos, to the east and west, . . . — Map (db m126052) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Ancient Street of the Tripods - The Lysikrates Choregic Monument
ΑΡΧΑΙΑ ΟΔΟΣ ΤΡΙΠΟΔΩΝ - ΧΟΡΗΓΙΚΟ ΜΝΗΜΕΙΟ . . . — Map (db m126106) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The archaeological excavation
Η αρχαιολογική αναδκαφή (Text in Greek above. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The remains of a neighborhood . . . — Map (db m126107) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Area South of the Ancient Agora
Η ΠΕΡΙΟΧΜ ΝΟΤΙΩΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it . . . — Map (db m126109) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The East Side of the Ancient Agora and the Stoa of Attalos
Η ΑΝΑΤΟΛΙΚΗ ΠΛΕΥΡΑ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ Η ΣΤΟΑ . . . — Map (db m126133) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The House on Panos StreetMan and Tools — Aspects of Labour in the Pre-Industrial World
The house at 22 Panos Street is a two-storey house, with a simple, traditional architecture, built at the beginning of the 19th century. The building has a ground (entrance) floor and an upper storey. It was restored by the Ministry of Culture, in . . . — Map (db m126065) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Library of Pantainos
H ΒΙΒΛΙΟΘΗΚΗ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΝΤΑΙΝΟΥ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The . . . — Map (db m126111) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Water ClockΚΛΕΨΥΔΡΑ
This monumental water clock was constructed at the end of the 4th cent. B.C. in a prominent location at the southwest corner of there Agora square, on the street leading from the Agora up to the Pnyx. Water was drawn by a stone drain. The device was . . . — Map (db m126058) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — Monuments of the Sacred WayMNHMEIA THΣ IEPAΣ OΔOY — Monuments de la Voie Sacrée
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Within . . . — Map (db m126255) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The (Delphi) TheatreTO ΘEATPI — Le Théâtre
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126338) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Altar of Chiots AreaH ΠEPIOXH TOY BΩMOY TΩN XIΩN — La Zone de l'Autel de Chios
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The altar . . . — Map (db m126405) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Archaeological Site of DelphiAPXAIOΛOΓIKOΣ XΩPOΣ ΔEΛΦΩN
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (too) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The archaeological site of Delphi . . . — Map (db m126248) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Cemeteries of DelphiTA NEKPOTAΦEIA ΔEΛΦΩN — Les Cimetirères de Delphes
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126247) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The HalosH ΠEPIOXH THΣ AΛΩ — L'aire
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126318) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The NavelOMΦAΛOΣ — Le Nombril
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126317) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Roman AgoraPΩMAΪKH AΓOPA — L'Agora Romaine
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Today, . . . — Map (db m126407) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Sanctuary of ApolloTO IEPO TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Sanctuaire d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126249) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Stadium of DelphiTO ΣTAΔIO — Le Stade
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126403) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Temple of ApolloO NAOΣ TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Temple d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126333) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Theater DistrictH ΠEPIOXH TOY ΘEATPOY — La Zone du Théâtre
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126404) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Treasury of the Sikyonians and SiphniansΘHΣAYPOI ΣIKYΩNIΩN KAI ΣIΦNIΩN — Les Trésors des Sicyoniens et des Siphniens
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126264) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — Achillion Museum Corfu
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center-left), German (center-right) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, German and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on . . . — Map (db m126429) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — Pendant La Guerre Continentale 1914-1918
French: Les troupes Alliées ont utilisé l'ile de Corfou afin d'y recueillir et abriter l'armée Serbe apes sa retraite a travers l'albanie le 17 Février 1916, le géneral de brigade de Mondesir Commandant les troupes francaises et le . . . — Map (db m126432) HM WM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Achiliou — The Entrance Gate to Achillion
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The entrance gate to Achillion . . . — Map (db m126436) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Barracks of Pasqualigo/Barracks of British Officiers
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. ΣTPATΩNAΣ . . . — Map (db m126480) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Church of Saint GeorgeNAOΣ AΓIOY ΓEΩPΓIOY
The church of Saint George was built during the period when the island was a British Protectorate (1815-1864). Construction began in 1840 in accordance with the design of the English military architect Anthony Emmett, so that the church could serve . . . — Map (db m126479) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Count Matthais von der SchulenburgO ΣTPATAPXHΣ MATTHIAS VON DER SCHULENBURG
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The German general Matthias von der . . . — Map (db m126440) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Latin Chapel of Madonna del Carmine/British Army Barracks
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. ΛATINIKO ΠAPEKΛKHΣI THΣ . . . — Map (db m126477) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Old FortressΠAΛAIO ΦPOYPIO
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (top right) and English (bottom right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The Old Fortress's . . . — Map (db m126476) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Old FortressΠAΛAIO ΦPOYPIO
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (bottom left) and English (bottom right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek, text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The Old Fortress's . . . — Map (db m126514) HM
Greece, Ionian Islands (Corfu), Corfu Town — Palace of the Venetian CommissionerMEΓAPO BENETOY ΠPONOHTH
This building is not preserved (it was damaged by the bombs placed by Germans in 1943 and was subsequently demolished). It was the most important Venetian monument of the Old Fort. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1743 and was rebuilt in 1753 . . . — Map (db m126516) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou(The Dormition of the Virgin Mary) — or Panagia of Agion Theodoron
On the site where the church now stands, there were initially two small cave churches dedicated to Agios Theodoros (St. Theodore) and Our Lady, which are mentioned in a will from 1641 and a report from 1642 by the inspector of the Catholic Bishopic . . . — Map (db m126050) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos
This church is located on the verge of the cliffs of Fira, clinging to the edge of the caldera. It is first mentioned in a list of Santorini churches, compiled in 1757 by the Catholic Archbishop of Naxos Pietro Martire de Stefani. The church . . . — Map (db m126051) HM
Guatemala, Baja Verapaz (Municipality of Cubulco), Cubulco — Memorial to the Victims of Guatemala's Armed Conflict in Cubulco
En este espacio la justicia se encargara de escribir los nombres de los responsables de los hechos de violencia que causaron conmocion a miles de familias cubuleras Proyecto ejecutado por Coordinadora para la Justicia y Dignificacion de . . . — Map (db m126546) WM
Guatemala, Guatemala (Municipality of Guatemala), Guatemala City — Jorge Toriello Garrido
Al ilustre ciudadano Jorge Toriello Garrido Líder Civil de la Revolución del 20 de Octubre de 1944 Verdadero patriota, hombre íntegro que lucho impulsado por ideales sublimes de bienestar nacional y que tuvo fe y esperanza en una . . . — Map (db m126862) HM WM
Israel, Lower Galilee Regional Council, Arbel — Arbel Ancient Synagogue /Beautiful ruins of an ancient synagogue from the 4th century BCE. — בית הכנסת העתיק
The synagogue was discovered in 1905 by H. Kohl and C. Waltzinger.

It is a square building belonging to the Galilean type of synagogue with a number of special components:

• The main entrance in the eastern wall. • The niche for holy . . . — Map (db m126103) HM

Israel, Southern District, Mitspe Ramon — The Human Spirit and the Spirit of the Earth"Thine are the heavens, thine also the earth" (Psalm 89:11)
Even from space, Makhtesh Ramon appears as a masterpiece of the spirit of the earth. This is the genesis landscape from which Ilan Ramon's name is taken. This is the most fitting place to commemorate the Space Shuttle Columbia crew, who perished on . . . — Map (db m126980) HM
Italy, South Tyrol (Castelrotto), Bulla Pufels — The Watermills of Bulla
Historical documents going back to 1288 already testify to the existence of various farms in Bulla. The farming community of those days definitely recognized the importance of hydraulic energy to grind grain. In fact, an entry in the land registry . . . — Map (db m126013) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — "Paris" Pharmacy
. . . — Map (db m125970) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Temascalcingo), Temascalcingo — C. Pedro Ascencio de Alquisiras
En el marco del Bicentenario de la Independencia de México, El Ayuntamiento Municipal 2009-2012. Le rinde tributo “Al insurgente Mexiquense” 1810-1821 C. Pedro Ascencio de Alquisiras. Arriero indígena sureño, que al . . . — Map (db m126602) WM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Temascalcingo), Temascalcingo — Church of San Miguel ArcángelEsplendor Mazahua
Iglesia de San Miguel Arcángel Construida a partir del siglo XIX, y reconstruida años más tarde, en 1939, la Iglesia de San Miguel Arcángel presenta una fachada elaborada con cantera rosa y decorada con elementos propios del estilo . . . — Map (db m126533) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Temascalcingo), Temascalcingo — Francisco Garduño Canedo
En esta casa nació el pintor, Francisco Garduño Canedo El martes 2 de abril de 1895 en su cumpleaños 99 él mismo develó esta placa, dedicada por la casa de cultura, “José María Velasco” Temascalcingo, Méx; 2 de abril de . . . — Map (db m126689) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Irapuato Cathedral
Catedral de Irapuato Su construcción es del siglo XVIII y fue originalmente dedicada a la Purísima Concepción de María. De estilo barroco. El Archivo eclesiástico contiene actas de bautizo desde el año de 1640. El atrio fue retirado . . . — Map (db m127335) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Saint Joseph Church
Templo de San José El templo de San José fue conocido en sus inicios como “Templo del Patriarca Sr. San José de los Indios Otomíes” aunque datos fidedignos sugieren una previa construcción de la Capilla de la Virgen del . . . — Map (db m127337) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of Solitude
Templo de la Soledad Nació como humilde capilla y es uno de los edificios mas antiguos de Irapuato La construcción actual data del siglo XVIII. En documentos de 1710 ya se menciona su dedicación a la Virgen de la Soledad. Ha sufrido . . . — Map (db m127385) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of the Convent
Templo del Convento Data de 1779. Se funda gracias a lo dispuesto en el testamento de Ramón Barreto de Tábora, quien dona el solar donde se construye este convento, así como el capital para erigir los altares y la obtención de . . . — Map (db m127339) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of the Convent / Temple of the Third Order
Templo del Convento Data de 1779. Se funda gracias a lo dispuesto en el testamento de Ramón Barreto de Tábora, quien dona el solar donde se construye este convento, así como el capital para erigir los altares y la obtención de . . . — Map (db m127341) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of the Third Order
Templo de la Tercera Orden Fue construido gracias a la donación del terreno y dinero de doña Inés de Oropeza, viuda de don José López Gutiérrez, en el año de 27 de mayo de 1737. Dedicado inicialmente a San Buenaventura. La Iglesia . . . — Map (db m127340) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Pueblo Nuevo), Pueblo Nuevo — Darío Díaz
1915-2015 Centenario Defensa Heroica Pueblo Nuevo; Gto. En memoria Darío Díaz C.P. Adriana Solórzano Villanueva Presidenta Municipal H. Ayuntamiento Constitucional 2012-2015 Pueblo Nuevo; Gto. 02 de Octubre del 2015 . . . — Map (db m126738) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Pueblo Nuevo), Pueblo Nuevo — Juan Raya Méndez and J. Merced Sandoval
1915-2015 Centenario Defensa Heroica Pueblo Nuevo; Gto. En memoria Juan Raya Méndez J. Merced Sandoval C.P. Adriana Solórzano Villanueva Presidenta Municipal H. Ayuntamiento Constitucional 2012-2015 Pueblo Nuevo; Gto. 02 de . . . — Map (db m126773) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Pueblo Nuevo), Pueblo Nuevo — The Unknown Soldier and Emilio Hernández
1915-2015 Centenario Defensa Heroica Pueblo Nuevo; Gto. En memoria El Soldado Desconocido Cae herido Emilio Hernández C.P. Adriana Solórzano Villanueva Presidenta Municipal H. Ayuntamiento Constitucional 2012-2015 Pueblo . . . — Map (db m126777) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Villagrán), Villagrán — Temple of the Most Holy Conception
Templo de la Santísima Concepción Se dio principio a la construcción de este temple el dia 23 de abril de 1868 y se termino el 29 de junio de 1913. Habiendose hecho todos los trabajos bajo la dirección del maestro Vicente Tovar y su . . . — Map (db m127336) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Villagrán), Villagrán — The Route of Hidalgo
El Gobernador del Estado de Guanajuato Lic. Juan Manuel Oliva Ramírez y el H. Ayuntamiento de Villagrán en el marco de los Festejos del Bicentenario Restauran la Estela de la libertad que simboliza la Ruta de la Independencia Villagrán, . . . — Map (db m127262) WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — El Marqués Cultural Center
Casa de Cultura 1874 Inicialmente fue una casa particular construida por Don Francisco Amaya Avendaño para su hermano Mariano. Durante una época en éste inmueble se vendían tortas y se servían bebidas refrescantes. Durante las visitas . . . — Map (db m126099) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — Pan Dulce Monument
Parador Territorial o Pan Dulce Considerado Monumento Histórico, que conmemora el encuentro entre españoles e indígenas en la región. Este emblemático lugar sirvió como punto de encuentro y recepción, donde las tribus visitantes . . . — Map (db m126022) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Foundation of La Cañada
Fundación La Cañada, El Marqués Don Fernando de Tapia regreso al mando de quinientos hombres de arco y flecha al pueblo que en el año de 1521 había fundado cuando se le conocía como Conni y con grupos provenientes de Xilotepec . . . — Map (db m126063) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Small ChurchLa Iglesia Chiquita
Iglesia Chiquita La más Antigua de Querétaro -1529- El español Don Hernando Pérez de Bocanegra comisionó edificar el primer templo a la redonda para iniciar con la evangelización. En abril de 1531 se celebró en La Cañada, la primera . . . — Map (db m126023) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Ezequiel Montes), Villa Progreso — The Temple of Saint Michael ArchangelVilla Progreso
Templo de San Miguel Arcángel Se inicia su construcción en el año de 1649, y es hasta el año de 1718 que es terminada. La devoción a San Miguel Arcángel surgió a raíz de que los Misioneros Franciscanos del actual municipio de . . . — Map (db m127072) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of La Corregidora), El Pueblito — Hermitage of the Virgin of El Pueblito
Ermita a la Virgen de El Pueblito Recinto que guarda una representación de la Virgen María como agradecimiento por parte de la población por el cese del desbordamiento del Río El Pueblito. El culto a la Virgen María en El Pueblito . . . — Map (db m126426) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Bronze Map of the City of Santiago de Querétaro
1. La Muy Noble y Leal Ciudad de Santiago de Querétaro El siglo XVI fue testigo de un constante movimiento poblacional en toda la Nueva España, específicamente para el actual territorio queretano. Éste contaba con poblamientos . . . — Map (db m126873) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Founders of the Association of the Heroic Military CollegeFundadores de la Asociación del Heróico Colegio Militar
XXIII Asamblea General Ordinaria Nacional de la Asociación del Heróico Colegio Militar del 25 al 28 de noviembre de 2010. 17/a. Zona Militar, Querétaro, Qro. 1847. Socios Héroes. TTe. Juan de la Barrera ∙ Vicente Suárez ∙ . . . — Map (db m126808) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — San Antonio de la Punta Catholic Church
1895 1995 Un hombre prudente edificó su casa sobre roca, vinieron los torrentes, soplaron los vientos, pero ella no cayo. Mateo 7: 24-27 Al conmemorarse el centenario Agradecidos damos en homenaje a quienes pusieron su . . . — Map (db m126805) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — The Historic Monuments Zone of Querétaro
Valor Universal Excepcional La Zona de Monumentos Históricos de Querétaro es un ejemplo excepcional de una ciudad virreinal cuyo diseño simboliza su población multiétnica: otomíes, tarascos, chichimecas y españoles vivieron juntos . . . — Map (db m126531) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Tequisquiapan), Tequisquiapan — The Legend of the Baroness
Leyenda de la Baronesa En el mes de Mayo de 1803, el Antiguo Colegio De La Propaganda en Querétaro publicaba una "noticia interesante": La visita al pueblo de Tequisquiapan del Barón Alexander Von Humboldt y daba nuevas luces sobre la . . . — Map (db m127080) HM
Montenegro, Kotor Municipality, Kotor — Battle of Lepanto
U SPOMEN BROJNIM HRABRIM POMORCIMA BOKE POGINULIM U BICI KOD LEPANTA 7. X 1571 GODINE NA GALIJI "SAN TRIFONE DI CATTARO" POD ZAPOVJEDNIŠTVOM JERONIMA BISANTIJA I PERAŠKIM ČUVARIMA DŽAVNE ZASTAVE KOJI SU SVOJIM ŽIVOTIMA DOPINJELI POBJEDI FLOTE . . . — Map (db m126766) HM WM
Panama, Panamá (District of Panamá) — General Tomás Herrera
El Presidente Augusto B. Leguia, a nombre del Peru, ofrece como homenaje de admiración al General Tomás Herrera, y para que sea colocada al pie de la estatua de se le erige, un puñado de tierra de Ayacucho, campo inmortal donde se . . . — Map (db m126295) HM WM
United Kingdom, England, Newcastle upon Tyne — William Heron
William Heron - The Hammer of the Poor 1246 AD: William Heron has been made Sheriff of Northumberland and Keeper of Newcastle Castle. He remained in this position until his death in 1258 AD. Heron has a duty to execute justice and raise . . . — Map (db m126769) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Alfred Robert Tucker
Alfred Robert Tucker Curate of St. Nicholas Durham 1885 – 1899 3rd Bishop E.Eq. Africa 1890 – 1899 1st Bishop of Uganda 1899 – 1911 Canon of Durham 1911 – 1914 Born 1 April 1849 Died 15 June 1914 I . . . — Map (db m126288) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses
Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses 1666 Replacing Bishop Langley’s Song and Grammar Schools 1414 1923   1973 — Map (db m126286) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Library
Bishop Cosin’s Library 1669 Entrusted To The University 1935 1923   1973 — Map (db m126291) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Charles William Vane Stewart
Charles William Vane Stewart 3rd Marquis of Londonderry Earl Vane and Baron Stewart Of Stewarts Court K.C. G.C.B. Lord Lieutenant County of Durham And Founder of Seaham Harbour General in the Army Born May 8th 1778 Died March 6th 1854 . . . — Map (db m126168) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Durham Light Infantry Boer War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m126287) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — For ValourDurham Light Infantry
Durham Light Infantry For Valour Pte. J. Byrne, D.C.M.   Crimea 1854 Capt. T. de Courcy Hamilton.   Crimea 1855 Sgt. J. Murray.   New Zealand 1864 Pte. T. Kenny.   France 1915 Lt. Col. R.B. Bradford. M.C.   France 1916 Pte. M.W. . . . — Map (db m126173) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Former Exchequer
Former Exchequer And Chancery of The Palatinate Built for Bishop Neville (1438 – 57) 1923   1973 — Map (db m126293) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — George William Kitchin
George William Kitchin Dean of Winchester 1883   1894 Dean of Durham 1894   1912 First Chancellor of Durham University Born Dec 7 · 1827 Died Oct 13 · 1912 — Map (db m126289) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Neptune
Neptune This statue was given to the City in 1729 by George Bowes M.P. of Gibside and Streatlam as a symbol of the scheme to link Durham to the sea by improved navigation of the River Wear. It stood on top of the Market Place wellheads . . . — Map (db m126170) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Old Registry
Old Registry County Court House on this Site 1588 – 1811 Rebuilt as Diocesan Registry 1822 Passed to Union Society 1935 And to University Library 1978 — Map (db m126290) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — The Durham Light Infantry
1758     1968 The Durham Light Infantry Dedicated to All Who Served in the Regiment And in Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives In the Cause of Freedom Faithful ( side plaque ) The Regiment’s long connection with County . . . — Map (db m126171) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Rookhope — Rookhope War Memorial
“For Home and Country” Erected to the Memory of the Men from this Parish who Served in the Great War 1914 – 1918. Those Who Fell Richard Bell Adamson. · Robert Hodgson Adamson. · John Christopher Baty. · John Edward . . . — Map (db m126343) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Wolsingham — Millenium Window
. . . — Map (db m126342) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Wolsingham — Wolsingham War Memorial
Remember With Thanksgiving The True and Faithful Men Who In The Great War Went Forth From This Parish For God and the Right The Names of Those Who Returned Not Again Are Here Inscribed To Be Honoured For Evermore 1915 — . . . — Map (db m126340) WM
United Kingdom, England (Lothian), Edinburgh — Forewall Battery
Forewall Battery 1544 Rebuilt By King James V On The Line Of The Medieval Defences The Guns Were Made About 1810. — Map (db m126937) HM
United Kingdom, England (Lothian), Edinburgh — Half-Moon Battery
Half-Moon Battery 1573-88 A Mighty Artillery Fortification Built After The Long Siege Of 1571-73 To Protect The Royal Palace From Bombardment David's Tower, The Residence Of Robert Bruce's Son, King David II (1329-71), Lies . . . — Map (db m126938) HM
United Kingdom, England (Lothian), Edinburgh — New Barracks
New Barracks 1796-99 The Largest Structure In The Castle, Built To Accommodate A Battalion Of 600 Men With Their Officers. — Map (db m126941) HM
United Kingdom, England (Lothian), Edinburgh — Queen Anne Building
. . . — Map (db m126940) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Alnwick Quarters
Castle Quarters Alnwick Quarters Aln, Celtic for bright river, and wick, an Anglo-Saxon settlement, point towards the possible origins of Alnwick. From the Normans to the Tudors, Alnwick, with its mighty castle, offered a strategic defence . . . — Map (db m125983) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Alnwick War Memorial
This Column of Remembrance Is Dedicated to the Men of Alnwick Who Gave Their Lives In The Wars Of 1914 — 1918 & 1939 — 1945 We will remember them ( upper small plaque ) Korea War 1950 – 53 Flis. A. . . . — Map (db m126057) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Bosnian Army Gun
Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland Bosnian Croat Army 76mm Artillery Gun Regimental Sergeant Major Mac Leyland and Corporal Mac McGuiness, 1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers took possession of this gun when on peace-keeping duties in . . . — Map (db m126054) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Robertson’s Pant
Restored 1986 Presented by Adam Robertson to His Native Town 1890 Opened by Earl Percy June 8th 1891 Robertson’s Pant This fountain or pant was erected in 1890 by Adam Robertson local freeman and benefactor as a gift to his . . . — Map (db m126056) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Sir Henry Percy ‘Harry Hotspur’
Sir Henry Percy 'Harry Hotspur' c1364 – 1403 “...and by his light did all the chivalry of England move to do brave acts.” William Shakespeare - Henry IV, Part II This statue was commissioned by Alnwick Community Development . . . — Map (db m126055) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Sir Henry Percy Hotspur
Sir Henry Percy Hotspur Harry Hotspur was born at Alnwick Castle in 1364 or 1366 and was knighted in 1377 at the time when his father was created 1st Earl of Northumberland. He was supremely powerful in combat on land and sea, though sometimes his . . . — Map (db m125984) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Bamburgh Castle Bell
This bell was originally in a cap house on top of the clock tower known also as the Belle Tower! As an integral part of the mechanism it sounded out at regular intervals. It was moved to its current site here in the apse of the chapel as its . . . — Map (db m125982) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Chapel of St. Peter
These Are The Remains Of The Chapel In Which King Oswald’s Relics Were Kept. The Apse Dates From Norman Times. — Map (db m125980) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — Mid-Tower Room
This vaulted room is the middle floor of three built into the easterly of two towers on the inner curtain wall. The tops of the towers were removed during re-modelling in the late 1800s and now form seating areas The lower room is identifiable . . . — Map (db m125978) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Bamburgh — The Armada Gun
Dating from the late 1600s this cannon was affectionately named the Armada Gun as it was believed to have come from a Spanish Armada vessel after the fleet was driven up the North Sea Coast. It was later confirmed as a Dutch trading vessel that . . . — Map (db m125977) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Elsdon — The Pinfold
The Pinfold An 18th century enclosure for stray cattle and sheep — Map (db m126653) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — 16th Century Bastle House
16th Century Bastle House Ruined buildings were adapted and new ones built at Housesteads in the centuries after the Romans left, when the land around became an upland farm. In the 16th century a local family built a fortified house onto the . . . — Map (db m126423) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — A Changing Fort
A Changing Fort During its 280-year life, many changes were made in the fort, no more so than to building XV. Over the years, it served as a workshop, a barracks, a stable, and a storehouse before a small bathhouse (balneae) was placed . . . — Map (db m126449) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — A military community
A military community Villages like Vindolanda were a vital part of the military occupation of Hadrian's Wall, and were planned extensions of the forts themselves. They provided extra space for facilities such as shops, workshops, additional . . . — Map (db m126419) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Allenheads War Memorial
To the Glory of God And in Proud and Loving Memory Of the Men of This Parish, Who Gave Their Lives in the Great War 1914 — 1918 William Frederick Pearson. Gilbert Graham. William Vickers. George Sparke. “Greater love . . . — Map (db m126414) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Barracks: the Last Hundred Years at Housesteads
Barracks: the Last Hundred Years at Housesteads Archaeology has revealed radical changes to the fort beginning around AD 300. One of the most important was the reconstruction of the barracks from single long buildings into smaller individual . . . — Map (db m126447) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Beneath the soil
The remains of the stone buildings that you see around you are but a fraction of what was once here at Vindolanda in ancient times. Before the last stone fort was built around AD213, eight forts had preceded it. Most of the earlier forts were . . . — Map (db m126354) HM

1405 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1205
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.