Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

275 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 75
 
150<sup>e</sup> anniversaire de l'erection canonique Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 15, 2018
150e anniversaire de l'erection canonique Marker
Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — 100e anniversaire de l'église Notre-Dame-des-Neiges100th Anniversary of Our Lady of Snows Church — 1887 - 1987

Hommage aux fondateurs

Architecte: David Ouellet Constructeurs: Augustin Audet • Hubert Morin

Cures: Desire Vezina Ptre Damase Morisset Ptre

Monument erige a l'occasion du centenaire de la construction de . . . — Map (db m126127) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — Le Cheval Noir / The Black Horse

Une œuvre de l'artiste-sculpteur Michael Bergstaller

Haute de 5 mètres, cette sculpture est composée de tiges et de plaques d'acier ancrées sur un radier de béton armé. Cabré sur ses pattes arrière, le Cheval Noir s'éloigne . . . — Map (db m126126) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'île-aux-Basques / Isle of the Basques

Sur L'île aux Basques, on voit encore les vestiges de fourneaux construits par les Basques. Le Père Nouvel et ses néophytes papinachois se retirèrent sur l'île aux Basques, en 1666, pour se protéger contre les . . . — Map (db m126165) HM

Quebec (Les Basques MRC), Trois-Pistoles — L'Institutionnel Église - Couvent - PresbytèreThe Institution of Church - Convent - Rectory

L'église des Trois-Pistoles, ce temple, ce monument. Elle est, sous plus d'un chapitre, l'histoire même du milieu, nous rappelant le grand déplacement de la communauté « d'en-bas vers en-haut » et l'avènement d'une période . . . — Map (db m126088) HM

Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Church of the Holy Apostles (ca. A.D. 1000)
ΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΝ ΑΓΙΟΝ ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΩΝ (περίπου 1000 μ.Χ.) (Text in Greek on the left side. To read . . . — Map (db m126138) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Odeion of Agrippa and Gymnasium or "Palace of the Giants"
ΩΛΕΙΟ ΤΟΥ ΑΓΡΙΠΠΑ ΚΑΙ ΓΥΜΝΑΣΙΟ Ή "ΑΝΑΚΤΟΡΟ ΤΩΝ . . . — Map (db m126134) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Stoa of Attalos (159-138 B.C.)
ΣΤΟΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΤΤΑΛΟΥ (156-138 π.X.) (Text in Greek on the left side) English: The Stoa, on the east side of the Ancient Agora, was the gift of Attalos . . . — Map (db m126105) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of Apollo Patroos, Temple of Zeus Pharatrios and Athena Phratria, Benches or "Synedrion"
ΝΑΟΣ ΑΠΟΛΛΩΝΟΣ ΠΑΤΡΩΟΥ. ΝΑΟΣ ΔΙΟΣ ΦΡΑΤΡΙΟΥ ΚΑΙ . . . — Map (db m126136) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Temple of HephaistosΝΑΟΣ ΤΟΥ ΗΦΑΙΣΤΟΥ — (ca. 460-415 BC)/(περ 460-415 π.Χ.)
A Doric peripteral temple, with pronaos (fore-temple), cella (inner shrine), and opisthonaos (rear wing), the best preserved of its type in the Greek world. The facade of the pronaos and opisthonaos, to the east and west, . . . — Map (db m126052) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Ancient Street of the Tripods - The Lysikrates Choregic Monument
ΑΡΧΑΙΑ ΟΔΟΣ ΤΡΙΠΟΔΩΝ - ΧΟΡΗΓΙΚΟ ΜΝΗΜΕΙΟ . . . — Map (db m126106) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The archaeological excavation
Η αρχαιολογική αναδκαφή (Text in Greek above. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The remains of a neighborhood . . . — Map (db m126107) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Area South of the Ancient Agora
Η ΠΕΡΙΟΧΜ ΝΟΤΙΩΣ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it . . . — Map (db m126109) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The East Side of the Ancient Agora and the Stoa of Attalos
Η ΑΝΑΤΟΛΙΚΗ ΠΛΕΥΡΑ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΑΙΑΣ ΑΓΟΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ Η ΣΤΟΑ . . . — Map (db m126133) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The House on Panos StreetMan and Tools — Aspects of Labour in the Pre-Industrial World
The house at 22 Panos Street is a two-storey house, with a simple, traditional architecture, built at the beginning of the 19th century. The building has a ground (entrance) floor and an upper storey. It was restored by the Ministry of Culture, in . . . — Map (db m126065) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — The Library of Pantainos
H ΒΙΒΛΙΟΘΗΚΗ ΤΟΥ ΠΑΝΤΑΙΝΟΥ (Text in Greek on the left side. To read it enlarge the marker image.) English: The . . . — Map (db m126111) HM
Greece, Attica Region (Central Athens Regional Unit), Athens — Water ClockΚΛΕΨΥΔΡΑ
This monumental water clock was constructed at the end of the 4th cent. B.C. in a prominent location at the southwest corner of there Agora square, on the street leading from the Agora up to the Pnyx. Water was drawn by a stone drain. The device was . . . — Map (db m126058) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — Monuments of the Sacred WayMNHMEIA THΣ IEPAΣ OΔOY — Monuments de la Voie Sacrée
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: Within . . . — Map (db m126255) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The (Delphi) TheatreTO ΘEATPI — Le Théâtre
The best preserved monument at the archaeological site of Delphi testifies to the intellectual and cultural acme of Apollo's sanctuary. It was constructed at the amphitheatrical location with a magnificent view to the valley of the Pleistos . . . — Map (db m126338) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Archaeological Site of DelphiAPXAIOΛOΓIKOΣ XΩPOΣ ΔEΛΦΩN
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (too) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek text, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The archaeological site of Delphi . . . — Map (db m126248) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Cemeteries of DelphiTA NEKPOTAΦEIA ΔEΛΦΩN — Les Cimetirères de Delphes
The texts for this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126247) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The HalosH ΠEPIOXH THΣ AΛΩ — L'aire
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126318) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The NavelOMΦAΛOΣ — Le Nombril
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126317) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Sanctuary of ApolloTO IEPO TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Sanctuaire d'Apollon
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: The . . . — Map (db m126249) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Temple of ApolloO NAOΣ TOY AΠOΛΛΩNOΣ — Le Temple d'Apollon
The Temple of Apollo, god of music, harmony and light, occupied the most important and prominent position in the Delphi Sanctuary. The edifice with the partially restored colonnade visible today is dated to the 4th century BC; it is the third temple . . . — Map (db m126333) HM
Greece, Central Greece region (Phocis), Delphi — The Treasury of the Sikyonians and SiphniansΘHΣAYPOI ΣIKYΩNIΩN KAI ΣIΦNIΩN — Les Trésors des Sicyoniens et des Siphniens
The texts on this marker are written in Greek (left), English (center) and French (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To read the Greek and French texts, enlarge the marker image by clicking on it. English: . . . — Map (db m126264) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Koimisi Tis Theotokou(The Dormition of the Virgin Mary) — or Panagia of Agion Theodoron
On the site where the church now stands, there were initially two small cave churches dedicated to Agios Theodoros (St. Theodore) and Our Lady, which are mentioned in a will from 1641 and a report from 1642 by the inspector of the Catholic Bishopic . . . — Map (db m126050) HM
Greece, Thera Municipality (Santorini), Fira — Catholic Church of Saint Stylianos
This church is located on the verge of the cliffs of Fira, clinging to the edge of the caldera. It is first mentioned in a list of Santorini churches, compiled in 1757 by the Catholic Archbishop of Naxos Pietro Martire de Stefani. The church . . . — Map (db m126051) HM
Israel, Lower Galilee Regional Council, Arbel — Arbel Ancient Synagogue /Beautiful ruins of an ancient synagogue from the 4th century BCE. — בית הכנסת העתיק
The synagogue was discovered in 1905 by H. Kohl and C. Waltzinger.

It is a square building belonging to the Galilean type of synagogue with a number of special components:

• The main entrance in the eastern wall. • The niche for holy . . . — Map (db m126103) HM

Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — El Marqués Cultural Center
Casa de Cultura 1874 Inicialmente fue una casa particular construida por Don Francisco Amaya Avendaño para su hermano Mariano. Durante una época en éste inmueble se vendían tortas y se servían bebidas refrescantes. Durante las visitas . . . — Map (db m126099) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of El Marqués), La Cañada — The Foundation of La Cañada
Fundación La Cañada, El Marqués Don Fernando de Tapia regreso al mando de quinientos hombres de arco y flecha al pueblo que en el año de 1521 había fundado cuando se le conocía como Conni y con grupos provenientes de Xilotepec . . . — Map (db m126063) HM WM
Panama, Panamá (District of Panamá) — General Tomás Herrera
El Presidente Augusto B. Leguia, a nombre del Peru, ofrece como homenaje de admiración al General Tomás Herrera, y para que sea colocada al pie de la estatua de se le erige, un puñado de tierra de Ayacucho, campo inmortal donde se . . . — Map (db m126295) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Alfred Robert Tucker
Alfred Robert Tucker Curate of St. Nicholas Durham 1885 – 1899 3rd Bishop E.Eq. Africa 1890 – 1899 1st Bishop of Uganda 1899 – 1911 Canon of Durham 1911 – 1914 Born 1 April 1849 Died 15 June 1914 I . . . — Map (db m126288) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses
Bishop Cosin’s Almshouses 1666 Replacing Bishop Langley’s Song and Grammar Schools 1414 1923   1973 — Map (db m126286) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Bishop Cosin’s Library
Bishop Cosin’s Library 1669 Entrusted To The University 1935 1923   1973 — Map (db m126291) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Charles William Vane Stewart
Charles William Vane Stewart 3rd Marquis of Londonderry Earl Vane and Baron Stewart Of Stewarts Court K.C. G.C.B. Lord Lieutenant County of Durham And Founder of Seaham Harbour General in the Army Born May 8th 1778 Died March 6th 1854 . . . — Map (db m126168) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Durham Light Infantry Boer War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m126287) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — For ValourDurham Light Infantry
Durham Light Infantry For Valour Pte. J. Byrne, D.C.M.   Crimea 1854 Capt. T. de Courcy Hamilton.   Crimea 1855 Sgt. J. Murray.   New Zealand 1864 Pte. T. Kenny.   France 1915 Lt. Col. R.B. Bradford. M.C.   France 1916 Pte. M.W. . . . — Map (db m126173) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Former Exchequer
Former Exchequer And Chancery of The Palatinate Built for Bishop Neville (1438 – 57) 1923   1973 — Map (db m126293) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — George William Kitchin
George William Kitchin Dean of Winchester 1883   1894 Dean of Durham 1894   1912 First Chancellor of Durham University Born Dec 7 · 1827 Died Oct 13 · 1912 — Map (db m126289) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Neptune
Neptune This statue was given to the City in 1729 by George Bowes M.P. of Gibside and Streatlam as a symbol of the scheme to link Durham to the sea by improved navigation of the River Wear. It stood on top of the Market Place wellheads . . . — Map (db m126170) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — Old Registry
Old Registry County Court House on this Site 1588 – 1811 Rebuilt as Diocesan Registry 1822 Passed to Union Society 1935 And to University Library 1978 — Map (db m126290) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Durham — The Durham Light Infantry
1758     1968 The Durham Light Infantry Dedicated to All Who Served in the Regiment And in Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives In the Cause of Freedom Faithful ( side plaque ) The Regiment’s long connection with County . . . — Map (db m126171) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Rookhope — Rookhope War Memorial
“For Home and Country” Erected to the Memory of the Men from this Parish who Served in the Great War 1914 – 1918. Those Who Fell Richard Bell Adamson. · Robert Hodgson Adamson. · John Christopher Baty. · John Edward . . . — Map (db m126343) WM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Wolsingham — Millenium Window
. . . — Map (db m126342) HM
United Kingdom, England (County Durham), Wolsingham — Wolsingham War Memorial
Remember With Thanksgiving The True and Faithful Men Who In The Great War Went Forth From This Parish For God and the Right The Names of Those Who Returned Not Again Are Here Inscribed To Be Honoured For Evermore 1915 — . . . — Map (db m126340) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Alnwick War Memorial
This Column of Remembrance Is Dedicated to the Men of Alnwick Who Gave Their Lives In The Wars Of 1914 — 1918 & 1939 — 1945 We will remember them ( upper small plaque ) Korea War 1950 – 53 Flis. A. . . . — Map (db m126057) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Bosnian Army Gun
Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland Bosnian Croat Army 76mm Artillery Gun Regimental Sergeant Major Mac Leyland and Corporal Mac McGuiness, 1st Battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers took possession of this gun when on peace-keeping duties in . . . — Map (db m126054) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Robertson’s Pant
Restored 1986 Presented by Adam Robertson to His Native Town 1890 Opened by Earl Percy June 8th 1891 Robertson’s Pant This fountain or pant was erected in 1890 by Adam Robertson local freeman and benefactor as a gift to his . . . — Map (db m126056) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Alnwick — Sir Henry Percy ‘Harry Hotspur’
Sir Henry Percy 'Harry Hotspur' c1364 – 1403 “...and by his light did all the chivalry of England move to do brave acts.” William Shakespeare - Henry IV, Part II This statue was commissioned by Alnwick Community Development . . . — Map (db m126055) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Beneath the soil
The remains of the stone buildings that you see around you are but a fraction of what was once here at Vindolanda in ancient times. Before the last stone fort was built around AD213, eight forts had preceded it. Most of the earlier forts were . . . — Map (db m126354) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Chesterholm Museum
Vindolanda Charitable Trust Chesterholm Museum In 1831, Vindolanda's first excavator, Rev. Anthony Hedley, removed the remains of the derelict Scotsholm fulling mill, and built an ornate cottage for his family, calling it Chesterholm. Designed by . . . — Map (db m126356) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — North West Quadrant Barracks
North West Quadrant barracks — excavated 2009-2011 These standard Roman Army barracks were constructed in cAD213 by the 4th cohort of Gauls and remained in use until the end of the 3rd century, after which they were demolished and replaced . . . — Map (db m126362) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Roman Pottery Kiln
Vindolanda Charitable Trust Roman Pottery Kiln This fully functional replica of a Roman up-draft pottery kiln, is based on information gained from the excavation of such kilns at archaeological sites across the North of England. The body of the . . . — Map (db m126355) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — S.P.Q.R.
S.P.Q.R. In Memory of the Soldiers Who Served Rome on the Frontier at Vindolanda. A.D. 85 — 400 Cohorts: I   Tungrorvm III   Batavorvm VIII   Batavorvm II   Nerviorvm III   Nerviorvm IV   Gallorvm And Detachments . . . — Map (db m126358) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The heart of the fort
Three buildings dominated a Roman military settlement and these were all placed in the middle of the fort. The principia, praetorium and the horrea formed a central range of imposing buildings which could easily have been identified and located by . . . — Map (db m126360) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The Milestone
The Milestone Three hundred yards to the north of this place, at the side of the Stanegate road, stands the only Roman milestone from Britain to survive intact in its original position (although without an inscription). This replica milestone . . . — Map (db m126357) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — The village and fort
You are approaching the edge of the village (vicus), looking east towards the heart of the settlement where the vicus met the walls of the fort. Where you are standing today was the main temple precinct in the 3rd century. Temple buildings . . . — Map (db m126345) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Vindolanda Inscriptions
Exact Replicas of Vindolanda Inscriptions The three great altars and the tombstones were found built Anthony Hedley at Vindolanda in the early nineteenth century, and they are now in Chesters Museum. RIB 1685 Translation: Sacred to the . . . — Map (db m126359) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Hexham — Workshops
Workshops fabricae vel officinae These buildings, flanking a major roadway through the village (vicus), were 3rd century industrial workshops. Excavated in 2004, they appear to have been used in the initial stages of iron production. A number of . . . — Map (db m126344) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Morpeth — The Chapel — Warkworth Castle
This private chapel was once the most ornate room in the keep. It had a gallery above, warmed by a fireplace, for the Earl and his family. This lower level was used by servants. In the illustration the chaplain is saying daily prayers before . . . — Map (db m126118) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Morpeth — The Great Hall — Warkworth Castle
This is the largest room in the keep, rising to its full height. It was used not only for state banquets but also for holding court and the reception of important visitors, who might also be invited to dine with the Earl. The illustration . . . — Map (db m126101) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Shilbottle — Shilbottle War Memorial
World War I Robert Baxter · George W. Buglass · Thomas H. Charlton · William Darling · Joseph J. Dunn · Robert Green · Joseph R. Hall · John Hindhaugh · George Slater · John Smails · William Smails · James J. Thompson · Alexander J. Tweedy · Thomas . . . — Map (db m126100) WM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — 1859 Gun
This Coast Artillery Piece of 1859 Commemorates the Centenary of the Tynemouth Volunteer Artillery 1859 — 1959 Erected by O Tynemouth Battery 439 Tyne Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment Royal Artillery Territorial Army This Plaque . . . — Map (db m126166) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — 6 Inch Gun
Master Gunner, St. James’s Park, General Sir Martin Farndale K.C.B. visited Tynemouth gun emplacement on 6th November 1998. His visit commemorated the Installation of a 6 inch gun. — Map (db m126164) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Lost Buildings
Lost Buildings From the late 18th century the large empty area in front of you was the hub of a busy military fort. A large barrack block stood just ahead of you. To its right was the Governor's House, and further to the right was a tall . . . — Map (db m126167) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Site of Tynemouth Lighthouse
Tyne and Wear County Council 1986 Site of Tynemouth Lighthouse A lighthouse was built here in 1664 using stone from the Priory. It is likely that this tower replaced a medieyal light in the Priory buildings. Demolished in 1898 and replaced by . . . — Map (db m126163) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Stone Detectives — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
Stone Detectives The pieces of carved stone in this room came from different buildings around the site. The surviving ruins of Tynemouth Priory are only a small part of the buildings that were once large and elaborate. But these small pieces . . . — Map (db m126124) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Cloister — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Cloister The large grass square in front of you was the monastery's cloister. It was surrounded by the monks' main living quarters. Very little remains of these buildings today – the army demolished most of them for their stone . . . — Map (db m126122) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Gatehouse — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Gatehouse Tynemouth's gatehouse is an imposing piece of architecture. It looks more like part of a castle than an entrance to a monastery. Tynemouth Priory needed defences because it was so close to the Scottish border and the Scots . . . — Map (db m126121) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Priory Church — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Priory Church In the 11th century, a great Norman baron, Robert Mowbray, earl of Northumbrian, founded a stone church and monastery here and gave the monks a vast area of land. There were very few stone buildings in the area then and . . . — Map (db m126123) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — The Shrine Area — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
The Shrine Area In 1065 the priest at Tynemouth found some human bones under the church – these were believed to be the remains of a Saxon saint, St Oswine. Local people began to make pilgrimages to his tomb, believing that the . . . — Map (db m126125) HM
United Kingdom, England (Northumberland), Tynemouth — Tynemouth Priory and Castle
Welcome to Tynemouth Priory and Castle Today, the headland at Tynemouth is empty and its buildings are ruined. But 500 years ago this area was home to a community of monks. The ruined church in front of you was part of a rich Benedictine . . . — Map (db m126119) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Muscle Shoals — How Does Wilson Dam Work?
Wilson Dam Potential floodwaters that surge downstream on the Tennessee River are collected in Wilson Lake. Then, through carefully controlled releases, the water is gradually sent through the dam. Releasing water through the dam serves . . . — Map (db m124083)
California (Amador County), Ione — 30 — Lancha Plana(No. 30 California Historical Landmark)
In 1848, Mexican Settlers from Sonora, Mexico established a camp on the north back of the Mokelumne River and called it Sonora Bar. At the start of the California Gold Rush miners flocked to the Mokelumne River and set up camps and towns along its . . . — Map (db m126094) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Inglewood — 363 — Centinela SpringsAguaje de la Centinela
On this site, bubbling springs once flowed from their source in a deep water basin which has existed continuously since the Pleistocene Era. Prehistoric animals, Indians, and early Inglewood settlers were attracted here by the pure artesian water. . . . — Map (db m126337) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Christopher Columbus
Born in Genoa, Italy, in 1451; Died May 20, 1506, at the age of 55, in Valladolid, Spain; Sailed to the New World under the coat of arms of Castile and Aragon; Landed October 12, 1492 at the isle of San Salvador in the West Indies; Made three . . . — Map (db m126092) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Honoring The LivesSylmar Tunnel Disaster
On June 24, 1971, an explosion and fire took the lives of seventeen construction workers building a tunnel in Sylmar, California. The tunnel was being built for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California by the Lockheed Shipbuilding and . . . — Map (db m126024) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Lest We Forget1971 Sylmar Earthquake
This tablet presented February 9, 1979, to the Veterans Memorial Park, in loving memory of the many veterans, nurses, and aids of the San Fernando Valley Veterans Hospital, whose lives were lost during the earthquake of February 9, 1971. — Map (db m126036) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Santa Cruz Hall of Records 1882 / Salón de archivos de Santa Cruz 1882
English text: The Octagon is one of the oldest buildings in downtown Santa Cruz. Architect John Wesley Newcum modeled the building after a $50 octagonal shaped gold piece first minted in San Francisco in 1851. The building, made . . . — Map (db m126026) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — Cargill Falls Mill
On this site, Benjamin Cargill operated a grist mill originally built in 1730, adding a distillery and other shops in 1760. The Pomfret Manufacturing Company later built the Pomfret Cotton Mills to produce textile products in 1807; it is the . . . — Map (db m126039) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — Morse Mansion
This circa 1868 2 1/2-story Victorian Italianate villa-style home was built by textile magnate George Morse overlooking the Quinebaug River in sight of three of his mills. With the addition of wings, this building has been integrated into the . . . — Map (db m126032) HM
Connecticut (Windham County), Putnam — The Flood of 1955The rebirth of Putnam — Putnam River Trail
On August 19 1955, the Quinebaug River, fueled by rain from Hurricane Diana, overflowed its banks and flooded Putnam. Unlike earlier floods of the 1880s and 1930s, the flood of 1955 caused extensive damage. As the river carved a new channel . . . — Map (db m126037) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Elder SpiritEveryday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights’ people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m126148)
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — Growing StrongEveryday People Columbia Heights Art on Call
Youth from the Latin American Youth Center - Art + Media House used cameras and microphones to explore the changing faces of Columbia Heights’ people and places. Collaborating with community artists, youth researched neighborhood history, . . . — Map (db m126149)
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Alachua Sink
The Alachua Sink, a named likely derived from the Potano word meaning “jug,” is the deepest of Paynes Prairie’s sinkholes and acts as a conduit for water entering the Floridan aquifer at a rate of up to 6 million gallons per day. . . . — Map (db m126294) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — J. K. Kelly House
This two story wood frame Colonial Revival style residence features a beautiful verandah best suited for socializing on warm summer evenings was built in 1903, by James Keels Kelley. According to a 1936 Citrus County Chronicle article, J.K. Kelley . . . — Map (db m126053) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — R. O. Hicks House
According to the old family bible, Robert Orval and Emma (Demoss) Hicks, Tennessee farmers, married in 1888 and established a successful steam boat business, carrying fruit and vegetables down the Withlacoochee River just east of Inverness. A freeze . . . — Map (db m126038) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — The Bank of Inverness
The current Bank of Inverness building was erected on Main Street in 1916 and housed the Citrus County Bank which closed in January 1929. By June of 1929 the only remaining bank in Citrus County was the Bank of Homosassa. On November 20, 1929, the . . . — Map (db m126084) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — The George Carter House
This house was built in 1903 for George Carter, Citrus County's third sheriff. The Carter House was the first house in Inverness to have a bathroom and was one of the first 13 buildings in Inverness to be “wired up” when electricity came . . . — Map (db m126060) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Fort White — A Chief is SeizedFlorida De Soto Trail — August 17, 1539
It’s August 17, 1539… When Hernando de Soto’s scouts sight the abandoned Indian village of Caliquen, Cavalry Captain Baltasar de Gallegos is ordered to move ahead – My men and I were sent to check for food and supplies. When . . . — Map (db m125991) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Fort White — Ichetucknee Springs
Ichetucknee Springs Has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1955 this site possesses exceptional value in illustrating the natural history of the United . . . — Map (db m126019) HM
Florida (Columbia County), Lake City — A Bargaining ChipFlorida De Soto Trail — September 10, 1539
It’s September 10, 1539… Conquistador Hernando de Soto has come to Uriutina, a deserted Indian village near here. We have feasted upon the bounty of food left behind by the fleeing villagers. Messengers sent by Chief Uzachile have . . . — Map (db m125992) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Thonotosassa — Old Fort King Trail
Old Fort King Trail is near the original Fort King Road. During the Second Seminole War, Fort King Road served as the main transportation and communication route between Fort Brooke (Tampa) and the Seminole Agency at Fort King (Ocala). Following an . . . — Map (db m126033) HM
Florida (Jefferson County), Monticello — "Meeting Oak"
. . . — Map (db m126299) HM
Florida (Jefferson County), Monticello — Perkins Opera House
A Landmark of American Music Perkins Opera House Erected in 1890 by John H. Perkins, a Monticello merchant and patron of the theatre. Touring theatrical, musical and community performances were presented until 1928. The upstairs auditorium . . . — Map (db m126298) HM
Florida (Madison County), Lee — Peace OfferingFlorida De Soto Trail — September 23, 1539
It’s September 23, 1539… Conquistador Hernando de Soto and his men have reached a large river, the present-day Suwannee – My nose is broken, and we are weary from battle. We will rest here for two days before crossing. Envoys of . . . — Map (db m125993) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 1902 Steam-Powered Tractor
Gaar Scott & Company, established in 1895 in Richmond, Indiana, manufactured a long line of tractors, threshing machines, and steam engines from 1842 through 1911, including this 1902 model. This enormous cast-iron and steel tractor, weighing some . . . — Map (db m126113) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Henry M. Flagler1830 - 1913
Builder of the Florida East Coast Railway The Ponce de Leon Hotel (Flagler College) and the Hotel Alcazar (The Lightner Museum) in St. Augustine. This bronze statue was installed to recognize his achievements in developing the State of . . . — Map (db m126120) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1041 — Battery B (26th), Pennsylvania Light ArtilleryBeatty's Brigade — Van Cleve's Division
Battery B (26th), Pennsylvania Light Artillery 4 6 pdrs. 2 James Beatty's Brigade, Van Cleve's Division, Crittenden's Corps. September 20, 1863. Cpt. Alanson J. Stevens, Commanding (Killed). 1st Lieut. Samuel M. McDowell. 2d Lieut. Jacob . . . — Map (db m126117) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-427 — Field Headquarters - Army of TennesseeGeneral Braxton Bragg
Field Headquarters - Army of Tennessee. General Braxton Bragg. September 19, 1863. Polk's Corps, - Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk. Hill's Corps, - Lieutenant General Daniel H. Hill. Reserve Corps, - Major General W. . . . — Map (db m126116) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1170 — Johnson's BrigadeJohnson's Division - Longstreet's Corps
Johnson's Brigade. Johnson's Division - Longstreet's Corps. Col. John S. Fulton. Sept. 19, 1963, 7 A.M. 17th Tennessee, - Lieutenant Colonel Watt W. Floyd. 23d Tennessee, - Colonel R. H. Keeble. 25th Tennessee, - . . . — Map (db m126034) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1265 — Peeple's Georgia BatteryTriggs Brigade - Preston’s Division
C. S. A. Georgia Peeples’ Battery Capt. Tyler M. Peeples Triggs Brigade. Preston’s Division. 4 P. M. Sept. 19, 1863 — Map (db m126353) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — Discovery to RestorationJourney of the (Chestatee River Diving Bell) from banks of the Chestatee River to Hancock Park — From Obscurity To Fame
> For as long as anyone could remember, the iron cylinder protruding from the Chestatee River was thought to be a silent sentinel from a bygone age of steam power. They thought it looked like the smokestack of a sunken mining boat. The mystery . . . — Map (db m123664) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — Maibaum History Tree
Branch One: Illustrates wildlife that roamed prehistoric Lumpkin County, including wild turkey, beavers, black bears, wolves, trout, panther, white-tailed deer, and golden eagle. Branch Two: Illustrates the Native Americans of North Georgia. . . . — Map (db m123716) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — Restoration & Preservation by Cotrell, Inc.
Mr. Mike Cotrell volunteered the facilities of Cotrell, Inc. in Gainsville, GA. to preserve and restore the deteriorating Chestatee River Diving Bell. — Map (db m123665) HM
Georgia (Murray County), Chatsworth — Cohutta-Chattahoochee Scenic Byway
The purpose of a scenic byway is to preserve the natural beauty along the designated route. A byway can be designated under one or more of the six “intrinsic qualities” defined by the Federal Highway Administration. The . . . — Map (db m123774)
Georgia (Union County), Helen — Hogpen GapRichard B. Russell Scenic Byway
Local Lore – Richard B. Russell Scenic Byway was once a dirt wagon trail locals used to travel over Hogpen Gap from Choestoe to Helen and vice versa. Wagon brakes were notoriously poor, and a wagon going downhill, well, the brakes were . . . — Map (db m123668) HM
Indiana, Canton — 9 — Canton Plundered — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
On the afternoon of July 10, 1863, General Morgan’s men looted Canton stores and confiscated fresh horses. The raiders continued east from there toward New Philadelphia, crossed the middle fork of the Blue River, and proceeded into Scott County. . . . — Map (db m126321) HM
Indiana, Maukport — 2 — Morgan Enters Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
On Tuesday, July 7, 1863, the first units of General Morgan’s cavalry command arrived at Brandenburg, Kentucky. Their mission was to capture boats to be used for ferrying Morgan’s two thousand men across the 800-1,000-yard-wide Ohio River into . . . — Map (db m126274) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 4 — Downtown CorydonThe Pillaging and Plundering Begins — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
On July 9, 1863, Colonel Lewis Jordan, Commander of the 5th Regiment, Indiana Legion units (Home Guard) had established a defensive position south of Corydon by 12:30 p.m., General Morgan’s cavalry forces successfully outflanked Jordan's position. . . . — Map (db m126277) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Laconia — 3 — Frakes’ MillFirst Night in Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
On the night of July 8t, 1863, Morgan’s 1st Brigade, commanded by Colonel Basil W. Duke, camped in this area. This brigade, ferried across first, rode northward from Morvin’s Landing, skirmishing along the way with the Indiana Legion. The militiamen . . . — Map (db m126275) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — Last Home of Squire Boone
Four miles northwest, Squire Boone, wilderness scout, brother of Daniel, settled on Buck Creek in 1804. He built Harrison County's first mill. Squire Boone died in 1815. — Map (db m126215) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — 1 — Morgan’s Great RaidSix Days of Terror — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
July 8, 1863. Confederate General John Hunt Morgan and 2,000 cavalrymen crossed the Ohio River into Indiana. They were transported from Brandenburg, Kentucky, on two captured steamboats. For six days, the Raiders rode through Southern Indiana. . . . — Map (db m126220) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — Morgan's RaidJuly 8-13, 1863
Despite naval and militia opposition, General John Hunt Morgan, commanding about 2,200 Confederate cavalrymen, began his Indiana raid by crossing the Ohio at this point, July 8, 1863. — Map (db m126216) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Maukport — The Civil War Comes to Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
By July 1863, the American Civil War had entered its third brutal summer. In the East, Confederate forces commanded by Robert E. Lee successfully turned back repeated Union attempts to capture the Southern capital at Richmond. General Lee even . . . — Map (db m126219) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Palmyra — 5 — PalmyraSecond Night in Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
On the night of July 9, 1863, Morgan’s cavalrymen camped in the fields in this vicinity. Following an afternoon of looting in Corydon, they reached this point via two parallel roads by early evening. This site is approximately 25 miles from their . . . — Map (db m126278) HM
Indiana (Washington County), Leota — 10 — A Strange Procession Hastens Eastward — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
This located provides a scenic overlook of the Scott County area. Morgan’s raiders passed here on the afternoon of July 10, 1863. Temperatures were in the 90s and the Raiders were loaded down with much booty. Stolen items included bolts of calico . . . — Map (db m126322) HM
Indiana (Washington County), Salem — 6 — Morgan Plans to Attack Salem — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
In the early morning of July 10, 1863, General Morgan assembled his cavalry troops and met with his officers at this point. He dispatched a patrol to a railroad four miles to the east. This patrol followed the tracks north, destroying telegraph . . . — Map (db m126320) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Catlettsburg — 2547 — Here Lies James H. McCoy / Here Lies Floyd McCoy
James H. McCoy. Oldest son of Randall and Sarah. Last living McCoy feudist before passing away in 1929. He was a peacemaker in the feud and tried to talk Frank Phillips out of killing Jim Vance & Bill Dempsey. In 1928, James & Tennis Hatfield, . . . — Map (db m126114) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Catlettsburg — 2136 — Mary Elliott Flanery
The first woman elected to Kentucky legislature, 1921. Mary E. Flanery elected to House of Representatives from Boyd County. She had worked for woman suffrage; was concerned with marriage and divorce laws and educational reform. At her death, . . . — Map (db m126102) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Princess — 1010 — Buena Vista Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Buena Vista Furnace Built by William Foster and Co. in 1847, 2¼ miles west, named for Mexican War battle that year. It was an important factor in the Hanging Rock iron industry until dismantled in 1876. Its 1874 production was 4113 tons. Stone . . . — Map (db m126266) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Princess — 1135 — Princess Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Princess Furnace. Built here in 1876-77 by Thomas W. Means (1803-90), for 50 years the leading figure in the iron industry of this area, owner of furnaces in Kentucky, Ohio, Virginia, Alabama. This iron-jacketed stack burned “stone . . . — Map (db m126230) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Rockdale — 1155 — Clinton Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Clinton Furnace. Stood one mile east. Its stone stack was 10 ft across inside, about 35 ft. high, built in 1832 by George, William Thomas H. and Hugh A. Poage. In 270 days of 1838 it used 2992 tons of ore, 247,000 bushels of charcoal to make . . . — Map (db m126229) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Rush — 1131 — Sandy Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Sandy Furnace. Built 1853 by Young, Foster & Co (Dan and John Young, William Foster, Irwin Gilruth), 4 miles west on a 9,000 acre tract. Stone stack originally 32 ft. high, 10½ ft. across inside. In 1854, its last year of operation, . . . — Map (db m126132) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Argillite — 1978 — E. K. Railway
Development of this area’s rich coal, iron, and timber resources began in 1867 when Eastern Kentucky Railway laid track from the Ohio River to Argillite. But after years of operating losses, the railroad went into receivership in 1919, and the work . . . — Map (db m126331) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Argillite — 1973 — Greenup Association of Baptists
In the log meeting house of Palmyra Baptist Church, once located near here, Greenup Association was formed in 1841. John Young (1764–1855), early settler on Little Sandy River and Palmyra’s pastor, enlisted two other churches from across Ohio . . . — Map (db m126332) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Greenup — 520 — A Masterful Retreat
USA Brigadier General George W. Morgan with 8000 men reached here October 3, 1862 on way to Camp Dennison, Ohio, after retreating over 200 miles from Cumberland Gap in 16 days, harassed by CSA Morgan’s Raiders. USA forces had held Gap but . . . — Map (db m126367) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Greenup — 784 — County Named, 1803
County named, 1803, for Christopher Greenup, governor of Kentucky, 1804-08. Born in Virginia, 1750, officer in American Revolution. Began law practice in Kentucky, 1783. Clear of Virginia court for the district or Kentucky, 1785-92. Member, . . . — Map (db m126369) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Greenup — 1529 — Greenup “Town Fathers”
Vital leaders of Greenup County and town were Thomas Waring, Seriah Stratton, Jesse Boone (Daniel’s son), Andrew and Thomas Hood. In Andrew Hood’s home they organized court of quarter sessions (1804) an circuit court(1806). Waring and Boone were . . . — Map (db m126365) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Hopewell — 574A — Grave of Lucy Virgin Downs
Grave of Lucy Virgin Downs, 2 miles ahead. — Map (db m126325) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Hopewell — 1143 — Hopewell Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Hopewell Furnace. In 1824 William Ward built here a bloomery forge, converting it, 1832-33, to a blast furnace, also known as Camp Branch Furnace. Air blast was water-powered. In 1838 this stone stack made 600 tons of ore, and burning 165,000 . . . — Map (db m126324) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Hunnewell — 2163 — E. K. Railway – Hunnewell
Development of Greenup’s iron resources in the mid-1800s relied heavily on the E. K. Railway and its extension near the Greenup furnace. The furnace and the new town that developed near it were renamed Hunnewell in honor of businessman Walter . . . — Map (db m126269) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Oldtown — 574 — Grave of Lucy Virgin Downs1769–1847 — 1,000 Feet West
The first white child born of American parents west of the Allegheny Mountains—Mrs. Lucy Virgin Downs—was a resident of Oldtown, Greenup County, from 1807 until her death in 1847. She was the daughter of Jeremiah and Lucy Virgin, born . . . — Map (db m126330) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Oldtown — 1019 — Laurel Furnace / Iron Made In Kentucky
Laurel Furnace. Built 4 miles west by George and Samuel Wurts in 1849. The bottom half of the stack, originally 39 feet high, is carved from one block of stone cliff. Maximum inner diameter 10½ feet. It made 2150 tons of iron in 31 weeks . . . — Map (db m126328) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Civil War Fort DuffieldUnion Stronghold at the Mouth of Salt River
Before you are the remains of Kentucky’s oldest and best preserved earthen fortification. The earthen walls were designed to stop cannon balls unlike wooden stockade fortifications of earlier periods. This original 1,000 foot long earthen wall was . . . — Map (db m126334) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Fort Duffield
Work on the fort began in the Fall of 1861 by the 9th Michigan Infantry Regiment commanded by Colonel William W. Duffield and the 37th Indiana Infantry Regiment commanded by Colonel George W. Hazzard. The build of the work and garrison duty fell . . . — Map (db m126336) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Fort Knox, Kentucky
Fort Knox is one of the Army’s major installations. Run by the Army’s Installation Management Agency, it is home to several major commands including the United States Army Armor School and Center and United States Army Recruiting Command, both . . . — Map (db m126196) HM
Kentucky (Meade County), Brandenburg — Louisville, Kentucky Confederate Monument
Our Confederate Dead 1861-1865 Tribute to the Rank and File of the Armies of the South by the Kentucky Women's Confederate Monument Association. 1895 — Map (db m126214) WM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Elizabeth — Town of Elizabeth
Center Panel The Elizabeth Mill

During Louisiana's timber boom, the Industrial Lumber Company purchased tens of thousands of acres of virgin pine forests. In 1907 The company founded the town of Elizabeth and began the construction of a . . . — Map (db m125179) HM

Louisiana (Allen Parish), Oberlin — Oberlin: A Blending of Cultures
Center Panel Oberlin: A Settlement on the Edge of the Prairie Oberlin is located at the edge of the Louisiana prairie. Beyond it, the landscape turns to pine forests:. Positioned as it is, Oberlin stands as a unique mixture of two . . . — Map (db m126071) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Billy Cannon1959 Heisman Memorial Trophy Winner
Panel 1

Dr. Billy Cannon is among the most heralded and identifiable college football players in NCAA history and is largely responsible for the emergence of big-time football at LSU.

Cannon, who was born in Mississippi and raised in . . . — Map (db m126129) HM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 12 — Bamboo
Jungle Gardens includes one of the oldest timber bamboo groves in America. In 1909, Edward Avery Mcllhenny wrote to the USDA's Bureau of Plant Industry to inquire about growing Bamboo on Avery Island. At the time Mcllhenny believed bamboo could . . . — Map (db m126096) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), Avery Island — 1 — Southern Live Oaks
This area was once known as the Hog Lot. It provided green pastures for grazing pigs and horses alike and became part of Jungle Gardens in the 1930s. The live oaks here were planted between the 1860s and the 1920s.

Natural groves of live oaks . . . — Map (db m126097) HM

Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Wolf Rock Cave
Rivers & streams flowing across broad coastal plains 24-30 million years ago (during the Oligocene period) deposited sediments making up the Catahoula Formation. The Catahoula formation, found in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas, consists of . . . — Map (db m126069) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1719 — 1845 Eaton County Courthouse
This building served as Eaton County's courthouse from 1846 to 1872. The first courthouse was built in Bellevue in the 1830s. In 1840, Charlotte became the county seat, and in 1844 the county supervisors voted to erect a new courthouse on the . . . — Map (db m126072) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — History of the Bennett Park Dam
The dam at Bennett Park was built around 1907 to provide cooling water for a stream generated water works facility. Additionally, it served as a local recreational attraction for many members of the community who would swim and fish here. The . . . — Map (db m126182) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2076 — Joseph & Mary Hall House
Local builder Nathan Johnson built this house around 1845 for Charlotte's first physician, Joseph P. Hall, and his wife, Mary. The house was moved from the business district to this site in 1868. Many professionals lived here, including . . . — Map (db m126029) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Rogers City — 2186 — Forty Mile Point Lighthouse / Lake Huron Graveyard of Ships
side 1: Forty Mile Point Lighthouse During the late 1800s, the U.S. Lighthouse Board created a system of coastal lights along Lake Huron's Michigan shore so that mariners would always be within sight of at least one. With a light . . . — Map (db m126066) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — 1 — The President's House1840
Completed in the summer of 1840, this stucco-over-brick house was one of four dwellings built for professors after relocation of the University to Ann Arbor in 1837. It has been the University's chief official residence and the center of social . . . — Map (db m126314) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Nisswa — Lake Hubert Depot
The only open-air railway station remaining in the U.S.A. built in 1896 by the Northern Pacific Railway preserved and maintained through the cooperation of local and summer residents. 1969 — Map (db m126145) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Nisswa — The Present Location of the Lake Hubert Depot
The depot had its birth in 1896, and was slated for demolition when the railroad discontinued service to the Lake Hubert region. It has been preserved through the cooperative efforts of Lake Hubert residents. Mr. Hugh McCaffrey, who ran the Lake . . . — Map (db m126147) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The Mississippi Liberty Bell
The Mississippi Liberty Bell made an historic journey during our nation’s Bicentennial year, 1975-1976. On loan to the Southern Baptist Convention and mounted on a truck furnished by the Ford Motor Company, the bell traveled approximately 50,000 . . . — Map (db m126137) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Wilkinson — Home Site 1812-1855
Home Site 1812-1855 ANDREW MOAK SR. March 1, 1782 S.C. - March 15, 1855 Pioneer - Oldest Settlement in Lincoln County, Mississippi. and two wives CATHERINE DOMINEY July 15, 1784 S.C. - July 18, 1821 SUSANNAH DOMINEY Nov. 18, . . . — Map (db m126098) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — African-American Contributions
Alvin P. Williams Park in Sewarren commemorates the public service tradition of Woodbridge African-Americans from Colonial days to the present. Honoring the bravery of a Woodbridge police officer who died in 1979 trying to save two drowning . . . — Map (db m126014) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Boynton Beach & Sewaren House Hotel
Boynton Beach & Sewaren House Hotel First known as Pierce’s Landing, Boynton Beach opened in 1877 when its founder Cassimer W. Boynton purchased a stretch of land along the Arthur Kill. The resort hosted a bathing beach with bath houses, picnic . . . — Map (db m126130) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — General Nathaniel Heard
General Nathanial Heard Nathaniel Heard (1730-72) was a leading Woodbridge patriot during the Revolutionary War. A member of the local Committee of Safety, Heard received the Lexington Alarm heralding the start of active rebellion in 1775 and . . . — Map (db m126093) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — M.D. Valentine & Brothers
M.D. Valentine & Brothers During the 19th century, Woodbridge became world famous for its clay and brick products. By the 1860s, it was said that nearly 80 million fire bricks were being annually supplied from Woodbridge. In 1866, M.D. . . . — Map (db m126152) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Trinity Episcopal Church
Trinity Episcopal Church of Woodbridge is among the oldest Episcopal congregations in New Jersey. Now located at 650 Rahway Avenue, its first service was conducted in 1698; the first sanctuary was built in 1713 under the leadership of Rev. Edward . . . — Map (db m126154) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — 2013 — Woodbridge History Trail
The 45 signs that make up this brief sampling of Woodbridge History were funded by a grant to Woodbridge Township from the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development. Mayor John E. McCormac initiated the application in support of the Township’s . . . — Map (db m126180) HM
New York, Ticonderoga — Breaking Ground
      Inspired by the 18th-century military gardens Sarah G. T. Pell established the first ornamental garden on this site as the fort was being reconstructed. In 1912 Alfred Bossom, who designed the reconstruction, enclosed the flower garden with a . . . — Map (db m126327) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Battle of Valcour
Commemorating the valor of American Forces - led by - Benedict Arnold at the Battle of Valcour October 11, 1776 — Map (db m126078) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Jonas Platt Homeca. 1820
Jonas Platt (1769 – 1834) 2nd son of Zephaniah Platt and bro. of Robt. Platt. Jonas was Mem. NYS Assembly 1796, NYS Senate 1810 - 1813. — Map (db m126086) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Peru Landing
Est. ca. 1787 by John Craig as only port between Essex & Cumberland Head. 9-11-1814 VT. Militia landed here to join Battle of Plattsburgh. — Map (db m126083) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Eastern TerminusNorth Country National Scenic Trail
The North Country National Scenic Trail Stretching 4,600 miles through seven states, the North Country Trail is a premier hiking path that traverses, interprets and celebrates the unique natural, historic, cultural and ecological landscapes of . . . — Map (db m126284) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — NY-0 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
On May 11, 1775 American forces took possession of Crown Point and 111 cannon of which 29, along with 30 from Fort Ticonderoga, made up the Noble Train of Artillery that Henry Knox delivered to Gen. George Washington to force the British out of . . . — Map (db m126079) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Selecting a Bridge Location
In 1927, the Lake Champlain Bridge Commission considered six possible locations in the southern Lake Champlain region for a new bridge. The commission chose the Crown Point-Chimney Point site because it provided the best geological conditions. . . . — Map (db m126279) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The 1929 Lake Champlain Bridge
When it opened in 1929, the Lake Champlain Bridge became the first modern highway bridge to cross 120-mile-long Lake Champlain. Promoted as “the new gateway” between New York’s Adirondacks and Vermont’s Green Mountains, the bridge . . . — Map (db m126268) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The White Flag
The white flag was the French naval ensign. It was also the flag flown over all forts that came under the royal authority in New France from the end of the seventeenth century until the British Conquest. — Map (db m126270) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — Welcome To The Lake Champlain Bridge Heritage Area
The Lake Champlain Bridge Heritage Area includes Crown Point State Historic Site, the Lake Champlain Visitors Center, and the Crown Point State Campground in New York, Chimney Point State Historic Site in Vermont, as well as the bridge that . . . — Map (db m126282) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — A Layered Legacy
      This fertile plain was once the floor of a prehistoric sea that receded to create Lake Champlain. When the French built Fort Carillon, known to the English as Ticonderoga, these rich lowlands supported a large garden to supplement the . . . — Map (db m126311) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — A Layered Legacy
      This fertile plain was once the floor of a prehistoric sea that receded to create Lake Champlain. When the French built Fort Carillon, known to the English as Ticonderoga, these rich lowlands supported a large garden to supplement the limited . . . — Map (db m126329) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Breaking Ground
      Inspired by the 18th-century military gardens Sarah G. T. Pell established the first ornamental garden on this site as the fort was being reconstructed. In 1912 Alfred Bossom, who designed the reconstruction, enclosed the flower garden with a . . . — Map (db m126315) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Cliff Seat
Birthplace & home of Joseph Cook, world famous lecturer and Ticonderoga’s foremost town historian. Cliff Seat, a magnificent 19th century mansion, burned in 1991. — Map (db m126233) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Garrison Garden
Eighteenth century soldiers lived largely on portable food. On the march, their diet consisted of flour, rice, dried peas and beans, salted or pickled meat – goods that could travel in bags or barrels without spoiling. In Europe, soldiers . . . — Map (db m126326) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — 344 — Grace Leach
Born near this site in 1906 she became the first woman to climb the Adirondack 46 high peaks, completing her climbs in 1937. — Map (db m126177) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Historic English Gate
In 1913, Sarah Pell went to Europe looking for artifacts to furnish the King’s Garden and Fort grounds. At a shop in London specializing in historic architectural fragments and antique garden ornaments, she found a set of “leaf work gates of . . . — Map (db m126312) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Historic Waterways
Lake Champlain, 125-miles long, flows northward into the Richelieu River which, in turn, flows into the St. Lawrence River. From Ticonderoga, the lake stretches another 25 miles south to its end near present-day Whitehall, New York. During the . . . — Map (db m126174) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — Lord & Burnham Estate Greenhouse
Landscape architect Marian Coffin designed a new plan for the King’s Garden in the early 1920s. The plan specified thousands of colorful annuals set amongst perennials. Ms. Coffin’s plans calls for more plants than could possibly be raised in this . . . — Map (db m126323) HM
New York (Essex County), Ticonderoga — The French Lines & Carillon Battlefield
The earthen walls in front of you, called the French Lines, are the remains of a defensive wall built in the eighteenth century to defend Fort Ticonderoga from attack. The French Lines as you see them today are the original un-restored remains of . . . — Map (db m126143) HM
New York (Essex County), Westport — First Sawmill
in the town of Westport stood here. Built 1770 Boards from mill used in building barracks at Crown Point & Ticonderoga — Map (db m126242) HM
New York (Essex County), Westport — Northwest Bay Road
Began prior to 1810, from Westport via Elizabethtown, Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Santa Clara, Hopkinton. — Map (db m126263) HM
New York (Essex County), Westport — Toll-Gate House
Site of Toll-Gate House Westport to Elizabethtown Turnpike   Built 1845. Collections ceased 1912 P. F. Boyle, last tollkeeper — Map (db m126258) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — 300 — Birthplace of Emory Upton
Birthplace of Emory Upton 1839 - 1881. West Point graduate. U.S. Army General and Civil War veteran. Influential military author & stategist — Map (db m126158) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — Site of First Permanent Settlement
Site of first permanent settlement ? Town of Pembroke ? David Goss, coming from Massachusetts in 1804, took up land on the Holland Purchase. His dwelling, which he converted into a tavern, was the first Public House in the Township. . . . — Map (db m126162) HM
New York (Jefferson County), Clayton — McCarn Hill

Site of log cabin belonging to Elijah McCarn first president Village of Clayton, Inc. 1872 — Map (db m126341) HM

New York (Monroe County), Mendon — Mendon Academy
Mendon Academy Incorporated 1836. Aquired by Mendon School District No 2, Jan 3, 1839. Closed as school and sold to fire district, 1950. — Map (db m126146) HM
New York (Monroe County), Wheatland — Site of Early School
Site of early school Quakers met here 1824 - 1827 — Map (db m126150) HM
New York (Nassau County), Merrick — The Merricks Veterans Memorial
The Merricks

Those who have made the supreme sacrifice for our country World War II

Harold Kenneth Ahlquist · Alfred William Amari · Clifford E. Bahnsen · Walter Edwin Baldwin · Walter J. Burke Jr. · Harry . . . — Map (db m126135) WM

New York (New York County), New York — Dorothy Thompson1893-1961
The journalist, known as "the intrepid girl reporter" lived here from 1941 to 1957. Her book, I Saw Hitler and column "On the Record," were influential in calling for American intervention in World War II. — Map (db m126310) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Dr. Gertrude B. Kelly Playground.52 Acre
Dr. Gertrude B. Kelly (1862-1934), a pioneer surgeon and philanthropist, was born in Ireland and emigrated to the United States in 1873. She studied at the Women's Medical College of the New York Infirmary for Women and Children, which was . . . — Map (db m126139) HM
New York (New York County), New York — High Line
The High Line was built by the New York Central Railroad between 1929 and 1934 to lift dangerous freight trains from Manhattan's streets. Originally extending down to the St. John's Park Terminal at Clarkson Street, the High Line was part of a . . . — Map (db m126087) HM
New York (New York County), New York — James Baldwin
James Baldwin (1924-1987)

The great American writer James Baldwin lived in an apartment here from 1958 through 1961. The power and eloquence of Baldwin's varied works impacted ideas about race, class, sexuality, and morality, and played . . . — Map (db m126178) HM

New York (New York County), New York — The Vanderbilt Gate
Gate and fence designed by George B. Post in 1894 for the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt at 58th Street and 5th Avenue New York Presented to the City of New York by their daughter Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney May 1959 . . . — Map (db m126309) HM
New York (New York County), New York — William LescazeOfficial Landmark
American modernist architect William Lescaze 1896-1969 designed this building in 1933 as his own home and office — Map (db m126095) HM
New York (New York County), New York — William Tecumseh Sherman Monument
The William Tecumseh Sherman monument by August Saint-Gaudens (1848-1907) was the artist’s last major monument and his crowning achievement. Architect Charles McKim designed the granite base for the monument and Saint-Gaudens brought on . . . — Map (db m126256) HM
New York (New York County), New York City — The Arsenal
The historic Arsenal is one of two buildings in Central Park predating the park. It was designed by esteemed architect Martin T. Thompson (1786-1877) and built between 1847 and 1851 by the State of New York as a storage repository for the storage . . . — Map (db m126131) HM
New York (Ontario County), Farmington — 1788 Survey
1788 Survey 4 towns, 3 counties meet near this site. Starting point for survey of Phelps & Gorham Purchase done by Co. Hugn Maxwell in 1788. — Map (db m126144) HM
New York (Ontario County), Victor — Gayanessha'gowaThe Great Law of Peace
The Gayanessha'gowa, or Great Law, is the founding tradition of the League of the Haudenosaunee. The Great Law originated sometime between the tenth century, A.D., and the early sixteenth century. The League of the Haudenosaunee continues to meet . . . — Map (db m126075) HM
New York (Ontario County), Victor — HanuwaneGreat Turtle Island
Many versions of the Iroquois Creation Story exist. It is set in a time when there existed two distinct worlds. Sky World was inhabited by spirit beings not unlike humans. At its center was a great tree whose fruits and flowers radiated blue . . . — Map (db m126251) HM
New York (Ontario County), Victor — HaudenosauneePeople of the Longhouse
The Seneca call themselves Onondowahgah, People of the Great Hill. They are the western-most people of the Haudenosaunee, known today as the Six Nations Iroquois. Haudenosaunee means, "People who Build Houses," and the term has come to designate the . . . — Map (db m126074) HM

275 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 75
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.