Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1446 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1246
 
Mozarts Geburtshaus image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, June 2, 2011
Mozarts Geburtshaus
Austria, Land Salzburg, Salzburg — Mozarts GeburtshausMozart's Birthplace
Marker Text in German: Mozarts Geburtshaus Mozart - Museum In diesem haus wurde W. A. Mozart am 27. Jänner 1756 geboren Marker Text in English: Mozart's Birthplace Mozart Museum In this house, W. A. Mozart was . . . — Map (db m128670) HM
Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — La Vielle Auberge / The Old InnSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"

Une auberge bien spéciale!

Cette maison à l'architecture particulière a été construite en 1872. D'abord résidence de Joseph Aubin et de sa femme, elle passe aux mains de son fils Alphonse au début du XXe siècle. . . . — Map (db m128506) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — Le magasin général / The General StoreSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"

Commerce de détail à Sainte-Flavie

Au début du XXe siècle, le magasin général est un élément important de la vie villageoise. Habituellement, on y trouve presque tout ce qui sert à l'usage domestique, de la nourriture à . . . — Map (db m128528) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — Place Clément-Chouinard Plaza

Fils de Pierre Chouinard et de Flavie Deschênes, Clément Chouinard est né le 28 octobre 1915. Deuxième d'une famille de 12 enfants, il épouse Cécile Beaulieu en 1940 et se voit confier la ferme de ses beaux-parents la même . . . — Map (db m128436) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Ancre de service de l'Empress of IrelandService anchor from the Empress of Ireland

Cette ancre, de type amiral à jas mobile, fut prélevée de l'épave en 1993. D'un poids de six tonnes, e'était la plus petite du navire.

This anchor, an Admiralty anchor with a movable stock, was recovered from the wreck in 1993. . . . — Map (db m127680) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Bienvenue / Welcome

Bienvenue au lieu historique national du Phare-de-Pointe-au-Père

De 1859 à 1997, les signaux lumineux et sonores du phare de Pointe-au-Père ont guidé des milliers de navires. Ce lieu a aussi accueilli la station officielle de . . . — Map (db m127813) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Fumée de mer / Smoke from the SeaÉmilie Rondeau — 2017

Dans la nuit du 29 mai 1914, un dense brouillard étouffe le son de la cloche de brume de l'Empress of Ireland. Quatorze minutes plus tard, le fleuve glacial engloutit le navire et 1012 de ses passages. À partir d'éléments . . . — Map (db m127342) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Innovation

Armé pour durer

Cette remarquable tour octogonale fait partie d'une série de phares et béton armé construits entre 1906 et 1914. Ces derniers arborent diverses formes : tours rondes et carrées, tours hexagonales et octogonales . . . — Map (db m128420) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La maison du commerce / The House of Commerce

À partir de la fin du XVIIIe siècle, sous la poussée de l'industrialisation, les marchands offrent des produits manufacturés. Ceux-ci sont exposés dans une salle d'échantillons avec de larges fenêtres invitant le client à . . . — Map (db m127319) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Le hangar de la corne de brume / Fog Alarm Shed

Pointe-au-Père fut un véritable laboratoire d'expérimentations sonores. On y testait différents signaux sonores avant de les mettre en place dans d'autres stations de phares canadiennes. Le hangar de la corne de brume témoigne de ce . . . — Map (db m127803) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les maisons de colonisation / Settlement Houses

Dès le début du XIXe siècle, les trop nombreux habitants de la vallée du Saint-Laurent sont en quête de nouvelles terres à cultiver. Pour contrer l'émigration massive vers l'Ouest canadien et les États-Unis, le clergé et le . . . — Map (db m128327) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les maisons de notables / Noteworthy Houses

Sur les artères prestigieuses des villes, dans la seconde moitié du XIXe siècle, surgissent des maisons dont l'architecture distinctive leur a valu l'appellation de « châteaux victoriens ».

Ces maisons de notables . . . — Map (db m128484) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les marins decedes en mer durant la guerre 1939-1945Sailors Who Died at Sea During World War II

[De face/Front]

Pointe-au-Père

Mat. 2er Francoeur Lorenzo 26 ans M.M. S.S. Nereus 10 déc. 1941

Steward Francoeur Pierre Emile 28 ans M.N. S.S. Nereus 10 déc. 1941

Mat. 2er Fréchette Jean Baptiste Roland . . . — Map (db m127802) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les premices / In the beginning

Du naufrage au balisage

Pointe-au-Père se trouve près de la limite entre le golfe et les eaux intérieures. L'île Saint-Barnabé, face à Rimouski, est le premier d'une longue série d'écueils menaçant les navires qui remontent . . . — Map (db m128404) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les premiers phares / The first lighthouses

Au service de la poste royale

Le phare de Pointe-au-Père doit son origine à la poste. En 1856, la Montreal Ocean Steamship Company obtient le contrat de transport du courrier entre Londres et Montréal. Ses propriétaires, les . . . — Map (db m128405) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les signaux sonores / The sound signals

Les signaux invisibles

Par temps de brume, le feu du phare est inutile. Entrent alors en jeu les signaux sonores. Cette station en a utilisé et testé plusieurs. Au début du 20e siècle, le Ministère en avait fait un . . . — Map (db m127816) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maisons des faubourgs / Suburban Houses

Les faubourgs de Québec et de Montréal sont les premières excroissances périurbaines de la Nouvelle-France. Entre ville et campagne, le bâti y jouit d'abord d'une densité moindre et les maisons s'implantent seules, bordées de marges de . . . — Map (db m128880) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Modernisation / Modernizing

Un vaste rayonnement

Au début du 20e siècle, Pointe-au-Père bouillonne d'activités : en plus du phare, on y trouve un poste de communication, une station de relevé des marées et, à partir de 1905, la station . . . — Map (db m128409) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Naufrage du Brier Mist / Sinking of the Brier Mist

10 milles a l'ouest de Pointe au Pere le 27 novembre 1998 Capitaine Bastien Levesque 35 ans de Maria Julien Boudreau 35 ans de Carleton Carl Porlier 42 ans de Carleton Sebastien Lapointe 18 ans de Maria Frederic Desrosiers . . . — Map (db m127764) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Naufrage du navire B.F. / Sinking of the Ship B.F.

a l'est de Pointe au Pere le 14 mai 1952

CHS Noel Bernier capt 32 ans · Lucien Verreault 34 ans Enoch Bernier 28 ans · Marius Parent 21 ans Real Bernier 25 ans · Normand Beaudoin 21 ans Francois Langelier 32 ans · Arthur . . . — Map (db m127801) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Pointe-au-Père, sur la marée montante / on the rising tideUn rappel de son histoire maritime / A reminder of its maritime history — La Route verte du Bas-Saint-Laurent / The Lower Saint Lawrence Green Route

Avec la construction de son quai en eau profonde en 1902, SAVIEZ-VOUS QUE Pointe-au-Père devint rapidement un poste de pilotage de 1906 à 1959? Par ailleurs, SAVIEZ-VOUS QUE la station Marconi fut en service de 1908 . . . — Map (db m127372) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Témoins de l'automatisation de la station de phareVestiges of lighthouse station automation

Ces dalles de béton au sol conservent la trace de deux petits hangars construits dans les années 1970 pour abriter une génératrice et un criard électronique.

Le premier hangar abritait un criard électronique. En effet, dans la . . . — Map (db m127836) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Vivre à / Daily Life at Pointe-au-Père

Pendant plus de cent ans, plusieurs travailleurs et leur famille habitèrent à Pointe-au-Père. Pour le gardien de phare, l'assistant-gardien, les pilotes, l'ingénieur de signaux de brume, la station n'était pas seulement un lieu de . . . — Map (db m128424) HM

Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 8 — barokni Bedemirazvitak Grada
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128401) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 10 — Peristil i Kathedrala
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128443) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 11 — Sv. Dominik Srebrna Vrata(Silver Gate)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128423) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 7 — vrata od PisturePalača
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128392) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 9 — Zlatna Vrata(Golden Gate)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128387) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Church of Our Lady of the Bell Tower and the municipal clockCrkva Gospe od Zvonika i gradski sat
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The little church built in the 6th century in the sentries' walkway above the Iron Gate of . . . — Map (db m128108) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Diocletian's Mausoleum / Cathedral of St. DujamMauzolej - Katedrala
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The mausoleum of the Emperor Diocletian was built at the beginning of the 4th century, as one of . . . — Map (db m127356) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 2 — Dioklecijanova Palača(Diocletian's Palace) — Podrumi (Cellars)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128230) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 5 — Hramovi(Temples)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128213) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Julius Nepos
Julius Nepos (C. 430-480) was a western emperor (474-480) during the last stage of the western Roman Empire he reigned. At first, over Italy and adjoining areas yet held by the western empire. As of 475, he had influence only over Dalmatia, having . . . — Map (db m127597) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Jupiter Temple(Baptistery of St. John)
The Temple of Jupiter (Croatian: Jupiterov hram) is a temple dedicated to the Jupiter, Ancient Roman God of sky and thunder and king of the Gods. Temple is located in the western part of the Diocletian's palace near the Peristyle, the central square . . . — Map (db m127358) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 12 — Lazareti(Lazaretto)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128215) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — Marko Marulić
Croatian: U ovoj se kući (prema predaji) 18. VII. 1450. rodio Marko Marulić prozom i u "versih harvacki slažući po običaju naših začinjavc" začetke udari hrvatskoj umjetničkoj . . . — Map (db m127596) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 6 — Pjaca(The Square)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (center) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128390) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — 3 — Riva(Seafront)
The text of this marker appear at the bottom in five languages; Croatian, Italian, English, German and French. Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the text in another language , click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128216) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Andrić House - The Vidović GalleryKuća Andrić - Galerija Vidović
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The three-storey building in Classicist style was designed for the building of the Classics High . . . — Map (db m128104) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Augubio PalacePalača Augubio
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the wealthy merchant, later ennobled, Giovanni Battista De Gubbio of the . . . — Map (db m127599) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Cambi PalacePalača Cambi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Gothic palace of the old Split patrician family of Cambi was built in the first half of the . . . — Map (db m127414) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Church of St MartinCrkva sv. Martina
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. One of the first little churches in Diocletian's Palace, it was built in the 5th-6th century in . . . — Map (db m127415) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Church of St RocheCrkva sv. Roka
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Church of St Roche with its Renaissance façade was created in 1516 through the conversion of . . . — Map (db m128101) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Ciprianis-Benedetti PalacePalača Ciprianis-Benedetti
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The palace was built in 1394 for the Split nobleman Cipriano de Ciprianis (C. Žaninić . . . — Map (db m127320) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Dragišić (De Caris) PalacePalača Dragišić (De Caris)
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This is an originally Romanesque house of the 13th century, with Gothic and Renaissance . . . — Map (db m127417) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Golden Gate Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the second half of the 15th century, the design and execution of which . . . — Map (db m127416) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Grisogono Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The medieval house of the old Split patrician family of Grisogono was constructed on the corner . . . — Map (db m128106) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Iron Gate Palace
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The remains of this Late Gothic palace of the mid-15th century, which suffered numerous . . . — Map (db m128112) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Karepić PalacePalača Karepić
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of the patrician family of Karepić, which moved from Trogir to . . . — Map (db m127361) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Large Papalić PalaceVelika Papalićeva palača
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Late Gothic palace that was put up in the mid-15th century by the patrician Split . . . — Map (db m127590) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Marulić PalacePalaća Marulić
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A Late Gothic palace of the second half of the 15th century in which, according to tradition, . . . — Map (db m127591) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Milesi PalacePalača Milesi
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This palace in the Baroque style with the characteristic sequence of round openings for shops on . . . — Map (db m127374) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The One-time Convent of the Poor Clares of St. NicholasNedadašnji samostan klarisa sv. Nikole
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. A complex on the site of the one-time triclinium and the residential sector of Diocletian's . . . — Map (db m127322) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Pavlović PalacePalača Pavlović
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The Renaissance palace of an old Split patrician family of the 16th century. It was extended in . . . — Map (db m127413) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Sulphur SpaSumporne toplice
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. This building of 1903 designed by Kamilo Tončić is an important specimen, with its . . . — Map (db m127321) HM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia (county), Split — The Town Hall
Only the English text (right) has been transcribed. To view the Croatian text (left), click on the marker image to enlarge and display it. The old Gothic town hall is the only remaining building complex that was knocked down in 1825 . . . — Map (db m127371) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevačka CrkvaThe Franciscan Church
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128541) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevački Samostan
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128540) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Grad TekstilaCity of Textiles
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128651) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Gradska VijećnicaThe City Hall
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128722) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Isusovački SamostanThe Jesuit Monastery
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128728) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Josip II. Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128872) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Krinolina LjubaviCrinoline of Love
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128601) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća BakićBakić House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128871) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća JaccominiHouse Jaccomini
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128721) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća RitzThe Ritz House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128719) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kula StražarnicaThe Watchtower
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128875) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Marija Terezüa Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128648) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača DraškovićThe Drašković Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128727) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača Patačić - BužanPatačić - Bužan Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128873) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača SermageThe Sermage Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128537) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Ratni spomenik iz 1915War memorial 1915
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), English (middle) and German (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128591) HM WM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Starí GradThe Old Town
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128908) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinska Crkva Rodenja IsusovogUrsluline Church of the Birth of Christ
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128538) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinski SamostanThe Ursuline Convent
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128539) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Varaždin - Stari gradOld Town - Die Alte Burg — Varaždin - The Old Castle
The text of this marker appears on the righthand side in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge . . . — Map (db m128909) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — ŽitnicaThe Granary
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128874) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Županijska PalačaVaraždin County Palace
The text of this marker appear in five languages: Croatian, on top, followed by English, German, French and Italian. Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128596) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Bethelskibet / Bethel Ship
Her lå Bethelskibet det blev afløst af sømandshjemmet bethel Nyhavn 22 Indviet 18. marts 1906

-

(English translation:)

The missionary ship "Bethel" was located here. It was replaced by the Bethel . . . — Map (db m127790) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Johan Herman Wessel
Johan Herman Wessel boede her 1772 da han skrev Kjærlighed uden Strømper

-

(English translation:)

In 1772, Johan Herman Wessel lived here, where he wrote Love without Stockings. — Map (db m128398) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Samvirkende Fagforbund / Cooperative Trade Union
I dette hus havde de Samvirkende Fagforbund (LO) dere første domicil 1898-1900

-

(English translation:)

In this building the Cooperative Trade Union (LO) had its first home, 1898-1900. — Map (db m127650) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Universitetsbiblioteket / University LibraryKøbenhavns Universitet / University of Copenhagen
Bygningen blev opført i 1856-1861 med Johan Daniel Herholdt (1818-1902) som arkitekt. Den skulle rumme universitetets bibliotek, som blev grundlagt i 1482. Bygningen blev gennemgribende restaureret i 1996-97 ved kgl. byg-ningsinspektor . . . — Map (db m127449) HM
Denmark, Syddanmark (Nyborg Kommune), Nyborg — 3rd Regiment Operation Safari World War II Memorial
Til minde om kampen i Nyborg den 29 Aug. 1943

Kaptajn ved 20 Batl. C.L. Wesenberg R. af. D.

Kornet ved 6 Batl. K.B. Madsen

Menig ved 20 Batl. Ivan Jacobsen

Orlogsgast N.B. Olsen

De gave deres liv . . . — Map (db m127664) WM

Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Munke Mølle / Monks' Mill
Her mellem Eventyrhaven og Munke Mose lå engang vandmollen Munke Mølle. Den blev anlagt i 1175 af benediktinermunke, som Erik Ejegod (Kong Knuds bror) havde hentet til Odense fra England. Munkene skulle varetage de mange interesser, . . . — Map (db m127776) HM
Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Nonner på Vikingborgen / Nuns at the Viking Fortress
Vidste du, at der her på Nonnebakken har ligget en af Danmarks markante vikingeborge fra 900-lallet? En ringborg af samme slags som bl.a. Trelleborg ved Slagelse og Aggersborg ved Limfjorden. Byggeriet har været så omfattende, at der . . . — Map (db m127669) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Rügshöfer Tor / Ruegshoefer Gate
An dieser Stelle stand einst das nördliche Tor der äußeren Stadtmauer, das so genannte Rügshöfer Tor. Um 1470 unter Bischof Rudolf von Scherenberg errichtet, 1625 umgebaut und erweitert. Der Wappenstein ist noch erhalten. 1867 wurde . . . — Map (db m127910) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — 13 — Augustiner Kirche / Church of St. Augustine
Bis 1813 Dominikanerkirche, fruhgötischer Chor um 1275, Langhaus 1741 von Balthasar Neumann.

-

English translation:

A Dominican church until 1813, the early Gothic choir dates from 1275, and the nave (was . . . — Map (db m128197) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Hof CastellMarktplatz 1
Im Mittelalter stand hier 1317 erstmals urkundlich erwähnte "Gressenhof". Der Renaissancebau stammt aus der 2. Hälfte des 16. Jahrhdts. Von 1830 bis 1945 "Hotel Mittelsbacher Hof". Am 16. März 1945 durch Bomben zerstört. 1955 zu . . . — Map (db m127267) HM
Germany, Schleswig-Holstein (Stadtkreis Flensburg), Flensburg — Das Nordertor / The Northern GateEin geschichtlicher Rückblick / An historical overview
1345 wurde den Flensburgern von ihrem Landesherren die Erlaubnis erteilt, ihre Stadt mit einer Befestigungsmauer zu umgeben. Dabei entstand das "erste" Nordertor. Wie das Tor aussah und ob die Mauer wirklich die ganze Stadt umgab, ist . . . — Map (db m128412) HM
Germany, Schleswig-Holstein (Stadtkreis Flensburg), Flensburg — 1 — Schifffartsmuseum / Søfartsmuseet / Maritime MuseumKapitänsweg / Kaptajnsruten / The Captain's Route
German text:

Mit der Entstehung von Flensburg um 1100 entwickelte sich an der Fördespitze ein mittelalterlicher Handelsplatz, der in den folgenden Jahrhunderten mit Unterstützung der dänischen Landesherren an Bedeutung im gesamten . . . — Map (db m128187) HM

Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 100th Anniversary of the Birth of the Poet Osmundo Arriola
A este árbol añoso le canto emocionado el poeta quetzalteco Osmundo Arriola: “Hacia el fin de la calle que conduce a una iglesia y al piadoso recinto, que recoge a los muertos, hay un fuerte atalaya de crecida estatura, valeroso, . . . — Map (db m128803) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 100th Anniversary of the Marimba Ideal
“Centenaria Marimba Ideal” 2 de Oct. 1900 – 2 de Oct. 2000 Rinde homenaje póstumo a: Francisco Roman Bethancourt Mazariegos Fundador de Marimba Ideal 30 de mayo 1871 1 de mayo 1931 A Rodolfo, Domingo y Agustin . . . — Map (db m128804) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 10th Anniversary of the Guatemalan Peace Accords
Secretaria de la Paz Presidencia de la Republica Que los pueblos tengan paz, mucha paz y que sean felices, dadnos buena vida, vida útil y existencia. Pop Wuj En conmemoración del X Aniversario de la Firma de la Paz . . . — Map (db m128631) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Bethel Evangelical Presbyterian Church
Centenario Predicacion del evangelio en Quetzaltenango Mayo de 1895 Mayo de 1995 Iglesia Evangelica Presbiteriana Bethel English translation: 100th Anniversary of Preaching the Gospel in Quetzaltenango May 1895 - May . . . — Map (db m128679) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Coronel Luis Aguilar Pelaez
La Corporación Municipal de Quetzaltenango Homenaje a la memoria del ilustre quetzalteco, coronel e ingeniero Don Luis Auguilar Pelaez por sus valiosos servicios a su tierra natal y la patria en el primer centenario de su nacimiento . . . — Map (db m128877) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Cultural CenterCasa de Cultura
Casa de la Cultura Cuando se construyó el templo del Espíritu Santo y el Convento de los Franciscanos, se destinó un lugar para el Camposanto o "Cementerio de Ánimas". Este cementerio abarcaba donde hoy se encuentra la Casa de la . . . — Map (db m128690) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Dr. Rodolfo Robles
La Municipalidad de Quetzaltenango deja constancia de su perpetuo reconocimiento a su preclaro hijo Dr. Rodolfo Robles Valverde en el centenario de su nacimiento. Quetzaltenango, 14 de enero de 1978. Por la altura de su ciencia, que . . . — Map (db m128851) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Efraín Recinos
En esta casa nació el 15 de mayo de 1928 Efrain Recinos pintor y escritor, arquitecto del Teatro Nacional de Guatemala Quetzalteco de genio universal Municipalidad de Quetzaltenango, 4 agosto 2000 English . . . — Map (db m128759) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Foundation of the Quetzaltenango Cemetery
Primera fundación formal de este cementerio erigida el año 1840. Aquí se conservan los restos del Sr. Dn. Felix López Monzón, Alcalde 2º de Quezalto, inmolado por los apasionamientos del 2 de abril de 1840. Juana Aguilar – 1840 - . . . — Map (db m128810) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Hospital General de Occidente “San Juan de Dios”
La dirección, administración, personal medico y para medico y personal en general, rinde honor a la Primera Comision para organizar y fundar el Hospital General de Occidente “San Juan de Dios” de Quetzaltenango Presidente . . . — Map (db m128645) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Justo Rufino Barrios
. . . — Map (db m128761) WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — La Exposición Artesanal e IndustrialThe Handicrafts and Industrial Exhibition
La Corporacion Municipal de Quetzaltenango y Comision Pro Centenario Expo Feria 1891-1991 deja testimonio y rinde homenaje a 80 artesanos y al Alcalde de la ciudad Lic. Manuel Estrada Cabrera, que el 27 de julio de 1891 fundan La . . . — Map (db m128742) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Los Altos Electric Railway
La Honorable Corporacion Municipal de Quetzaltenango al cumplirse en la presente fecha un cincuentenario de la inauguración del Ferrocarril Electrico de los Altos, consigna un patriótico recuerdo a aquella magna obra asi como un voto . . . — Map (db m128849) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Manuel Lisandro Barillas
General de Division Don Manuel Lisando Barillas Nació el 16 de enero de 1,845 Presidente de la Republica 6 de abril de 1,885 – 15 de marzo de 1,886 Provisorio 15 de marzo de 1,886 – 15 de marzo de 1,892 Constitucional . . . — Map (db m128733) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Monument to Benito Juárez
Monumento a Benito Juarez Nació en San Pablo Guelatao, Oaxaca, el 21 de marzo de 1806 y murió en la Ciudad de México, 18 de julio de 1872 fue un abogado y político mexicano, de origen indígena zapoteca, presidente de México en varias . . . — Map (db m128639) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Mother María Encarnación Rosal
Sierva de Dios Madre Maria Encarnacion Rosal Madre, Maestra y Guia de la Congregacion Bethlemita Las Hermanas Bethlemitas, el Comité Pro-Centenario y el pueblo católico de Guatemala, con amor y para perpetua memoria 1886 Primer . . . — Map (db m128876) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — National Girls School No. 2 "Antonia Estrada Monzón"
1911 2011 En este lugar se fundo el Kindergarden Nacional o Escuela Nacional de Niñas No. 2 “Antonia Estrada Monzon” de 1911 a 1942 En conmemoración a su centenario, personal docente y alumnado Quetzaltenango, mayo de 2011 . . . — Map (db m128649) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Rafael Landívar University
50 Años Landivar Guatemala. 1961. Universidad Rafael Landivar Campus de Quetzaltenango 1963-2013 Conmemorando que en este inmueble inicio sus actividades académicas el 2 de febrero de 1963 Campus de Quetzaltenango . . . — Map (db m128749) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Simón Bolívar
Simon Bolivar 1783-1830 “Hombre de America” Monumento inaugurado por el Licenciado Antonio Aveledo Leal Embajador de Venezuela y el Ingeniero Omar de Leon Argueta Alcalde Municipal. Estatua donada por Venezuela al pueblo . . . — Map (db m128696) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Site of the Discovery of the Virgin of Sorrows
Recuerdo del 1er Centenario del hallazgo de la Santisima Virgen de Dolores del Templo de San Juan de Dios – en esta casa Noviembre 19 1854 1954 Los Comites English translation: Tribute on the 100th anniversary . . . — Map (db m128746) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The 150th Anniversary of the Founding of QuetzaltenangoMonument to the Marimba
Admon. Laugerud 1974-1978 Con motivo del Sesquicentenario de la Ciudad de Quetzaltenango, el 29 de octubre de 1975, el Presidente de la Republica General Kjell Eugenio Laugerud Garcia, dispuso la construcción de este . . . — Map (db m128732) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The Death of Remigio Mérida
Ciudadano del Mundo Libre: Aqui cayó Remigio Merida H., niño quezalteco de 12 años de edad, victima inocente de los conculcadores del derecho y la libertad. El Colegio Americano, consagra a la memoria del héroe inocente, este sencillo . . . — Map (db m128730) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The Quetzaltenango City Hall
Palacio Municipal El inmueble en donde funcionó el primer Ayuntamiento de Quetzaltenango estaba ubicado en el lugar donde actualmente se encuentra el Palacio Municipal. Fue comprado en 1812. Durante esos años, hasta 1881 año en que . . . — Map (db m128682) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The Soldiers Monument of Quetzaltenango
La Municipalidad de Quezaltenango al soldado desconocido que murió por la patria La Facultad de Derecho y Notariado de Occidente al Lic. Sinforoso Aguilar 13 Set. de 1897 Capitan Saturnino Pleites Oct. 3 de 1897 Juan Aparicio H. . . . — Map (db m128816) WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — World Record for a Marathon While Jumping Rope
El Honorable Concejo Municipal de la Ciudad de Quetzaltenango Dr. Jorge Rolando Barrientos Pellecer Alcalde Municipal El Organo de Coordinacion, vecinos y la Comision de Deporte del COCODE de la Colonia Minerva rinden perpetuo . . . — Map (db m128870) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Dr. Frederick Wilson Popenoe
La Asociacion de Graduados de la Escuela Agricola Panamericana El Zamorano, Honduras agradece a Dr. Wilson Popenoe 1er. Director y Fundador Distinguido científico y educador Tu legado plasmado en la educación Zamorana ha contribuido . . . — Map (db m128613) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Father Hermógenes López Coarchita
Este lugar guardo por 11 años los restos del primer sacerdote mártir Padre Hermogenes Lopez Coarchita 3 de julio 1978 Fueron trasladados a la Iglesia de San Jose Pinula el 30 de junio 1989 English translation: In . . . — Map (db m128575) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Juan José Rodil and Companions
Juan Jose Rodil y Compañeros Martires de la libertad sacrificados en el frente del Templo del Calvaro el 5 de octubre de 1915 English translation: Juan José Rodil and Companions Martyrs for liberty, assassinated . . . — Map (db m128571) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Manuel Gálvez y Corral
Aquí vivió el Alcalde Manuel Gálvez y Corral 1759-1763 English translation: Here lived the Mayor Manuel Gálvez y Corral 1759-1763 — Map (db m128576) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Mariano Navarrete
Esta casa fue donada a la Municipalidad por el presbítero Mariano Navarrete para la instruccion publica gratuita en Antigua Guatemala. Homenaje Junta Asesora de Turismo Deptal en el 1er. centenario de su muerte 16 de noviembre de . . . — Map (db m128524) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Hermitage of the Holy Calvary
Ermita del Santo Calvario 1 BI – CNPAG. – IV - 11 1618 Demarcacion del solar para edificar el templo. 1619 Colocacion del la cruz atrial y construcción del primer portal. 1647 Se determino la edificación formal del . . . — Map (db m128525) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Lions Club of Antigua Guatemala
En esta casa se fundo el Club de Leones de Antigua Guatemala el 25 de septiembre de 1954 Bodas de Plata 1979 English translation: In this house was founded the Lions Club of Antigua Guatemala on September 25, 1954 . . . — Map (db m128517) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of San Marcos) — Rubén Mérida Escobar
El Estado de Guatemala a través del Programa Nacional de Resarcimiento – PNR – Como un justo reconocimiento a la memoria del ilustre Profesor: Rubén Mérida Escobar. Quien por sus ideales de ver a una patria con paz y justicia, fue . . . — Map (db m128912) HM WM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of Tejutla), Tejutla — 350th Anniversary of Founding of Santiago Tejutla
1627-1977. La Honorable Corporacion Municipal periodo 1976-1980 y pueblo de Tejutla, rinden un sincero homenaje de reconocimiento a nuestros antepasados fundadores de este pueblo, bautizado con el nombre de “Santiago Tejutla” . . . — Map (db m128889) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of Tejutla), Tejutla — The Liberal Revolution and General Barrios
Municipalidad y pueblo tejutleco rinden homenaje al primer centenario de la Revolucion Liberal de 1871 Tejutla junio 30 1971 Municipalidad, Coordinadora Inter-institucional Municipal y pueblo de Tejutla al primer centenario muerte . . . — Map (db m128895) HM WM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of Tejutla), Tejutla — The Roppe Hospital and Solidarity Dispensary
Hospitalito “Roppe” Dispensario Solidario En 1967, Tejutla fue uno de los lugares elegido por Dios para ser anfitriona de la misión Belga, encabezada por el Rvdo. Juan Vander Vaeren, Srita. enfermera Marlen Spaas Josten, . . . — Map (db m128906) HM
Israel, Southern District (Tamar Regional Council), Ein Gedi — Masada
Generations go by and the mountain remains. Herod built for himself a magnificent fortress-palace, and the Romans and the Jewish rebels added a drama of siege and slaughter. Here the early monks of the Judean desert sought communion with the creator . . . — Map (db m128331) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Founding of IrapuatoLa Fundación de Irapuato
Pueblo y autoridades en comunión de agradecimiento, orgullo y compromiso continuado A Irapuato en sus 450 tradicionales años de vida, Irapuato Gto., febrero 15 de 1997 H. Ayuntamiento 1995-1997 Lic. Jose Aben Amar Gonzalez H. . . . — Map (db m127445) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Irapuato Cathedral
Catedral de Irapuato Su construcción es del siglo XVIII y fue originalmente dedicada a la Purísima Concepción de María. De estilo barroco. El Archivo eclesiástico contiene actas de bautizo desde el año de 1640. El atrio fue retirado . . . — Map (db m127335) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Major PlazaLa Antigua Plaza Mayor
Plaza Madero (Antigua Plaza Mayor o de las Festividades) La actual plaza que denominamos como la fuente de los delfines en realidad ha venido siendo la plaza principal de Irapuato, recibiendo indistintamente los nombres de Plaza Mayor . . . — Map (db m127446) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Saint Joseph Church
Templo de San José El templo de San José fue conocido en sus inicios como “Templo del Patriarca Sr. San José de los Indios Otomíes” aunque datos fidedignos sugieren una previa construcción de la Capilla de la Virgen del . . . — Map (db m127337) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of Solitude
Templo de la Soledad Nació como humilde capilla y es uno de los edificios mas antiguos de Irapuato La construcción actual data del siglo XVIII. En documentos de 1710 ya se menciona su dedicación a la Virgen de la Soledad. Ha sufrido . . . — Map (db m127385) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of the Convent
Templo del Convento Data de 1779. Se funda gracias a lo dispuesto en el testamento de Ramón Barreto de Tábora, quien dona el solar donde se construye este convento, así como el capital para erigir los altares y la obtención de . . . — Map (db m127339) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of the Convent / Temple of the Third Order
Templo del Convento Data de 1779. Se funda gracias a lo dispuesto en el testamento de Ramón Barreto de Tábora, quien dona el solar donde se construye este convento, así como el capital para erigir los altares y la obtención de . . . — Map (db m127341) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Irapuato), Irapuato — Temple of the Third Order
Templo de la Tercera Orden Fue construido gracias a la donación del terreno y dinero de doña Inés de Oropeza, viuda de don José López Gutiérrez, en el año de 27 de mayo de 1737. Dedicado inicialmente a San Buenaventura. La Iglesia . . . — Map (db m127340) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Calzada de los Héroes
Calzada de los Héroes Octubre de 1833 El jefe político Julián de Obregón propone la construcción de una calzada para embellecer la principal entrada de la ciudad y determina para ello una serie de contribuciones tanto de las . . . — Map (db m128393) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Children Heroes ParkJardín de los Niños Héroes
Jardín de los Niños Héroes 20 de agosto de 1944 Ante un estallido “Patria” repleto de entusiastas aficionados, el equipo León debuta en la liga profesional de futbol imponiéndose 4 por 3 al Atlante de la Ciudad de México. . . . — Map (db m128383) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — City Hall
Palacio Municipal Desde que se fundó la Villa de León, el terreno que ocupa el ahora Palacio Municipal se dispuso como sede de los poderes civiles, pero por diversas causas quedó en manos de los religiosos Franciscanos, quienes . . . — Map (db m127465) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — House of Cecilio Louis Long
Esta casa fue diseñada, construida y habitada por el eminente científico Dn Cecilio Louis Long, el creador de la imagen neoclásica de la ciudad de León. Años de 1880 a 1927. English translation: The eminent . . . — Map (db m128395) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — House of María Joaquina de la Portilla y Torres
En este solar estuvo la casa familiar de María Joaquina de la Portilla y Torres conocida como María Greven Año de 1885. English translation: In this area was the family home of María Joaquina de la Portilla y . . . — Map (db m128397) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Manuel Doblado Theater
Teatro Manuel Doblado 31 de diciembre de 1868 Manuel Cánovas y Joaquín González (los dos hombres más ricos de León en la época), colocan la primera piedra del Teatro Gorostiza. La construcción de este teatro era un lugar anhelo y . . . — Map (db m128396) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Massacre of January 2, 1946
“La sangre de hombres y mujeres por la democracia, no ha sido en vano…hoy los ciudadanos de estas tierras del Bajío, mantienen el alto el estandarte del Municipio Libre” H. Ayuntamiento de León 1992-1994 Rinde Homenaje a los . . . — Map (db m127458) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Metropolitan Cathedral Basilica of Our Blessed Mother of Light
Catedral Basílica de Nuestra Madre Santísima de la Luz. A diferencia de otras ciudades, la Catedral leonesa no está en la plaza principal. Esto se debe a que el recinto no se concibió originalmente como tal y en ese tiempo, León . . . — Map (db m127474) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Plaza of Martyrs
Plaza de los Mártires del 2 de enero El Círculo Leonés Mutualista – fundado en 1901 – inaugura sus instalaciones en una de las casas gemelas de estilo neoclásico y fachada de cantera que construyeron los hermanos Madrazo . . . — Map (db m128375) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Royal Houses and Early Municipal Council
Aquí estuvieron las Casas Reales y del Cabildo en el Siglo XVII English translation: In the 17th century this was the location of the Royal Houses and the early Municipal Council — Map (db m127455) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of León), León — Templo Expiatorio
Templo Expiatorio 8 de julio de 1921 Aprobada la obra por el entonces Obispo Emeterio Valverde y Téllez, se coloca la primera piedra para la construcción del Santuario Expiatorio Diocesano del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús. La historia . . . — Map (db m128376) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — Efraín Huerta
Nacido en esta casa un 18 de junio de 1914. El legado principal del poeta, periodista y crítico guanajuatense es la obra Los hombres del alba (1944), uno de los libros cumbres de la poesía hispanoamericana del siglo veinte. A 100 . . . — Map (db m128450) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — Felice Bonetto
El Comité Organizadora de la Carrera Panamericana Edicion 1988 La Asociacion Mexicana del Automovil Antiguo del Estado de Guanajuato AC Las Tripulaciones Guanajuatenses Participantes en la Carrera Panamericana y los ciudadanos del Estado . . . — Map (db m128449) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — Founders of Our City Silao
Fundadores de Nuestra Ciudad Cap. Gral. Don Nicolas de San Luis Montañes Alcalde Ordinario por SM Don Sebastian Lucas Primer Alcalde Don Santiago Guacamina Regidor Don Pablo Juarez Regidor Don Lucas Gentil Fiscal Mayor Don Nicolas de . . . — Map (db m128444) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — General Francisco Javier Mina
En esta casa estuvo prisionero el 27 de octubre de 1817, el General Francisco Javier Mina, Heroe de Nuestra Independencia. La Junta Patriotica del Centenario, le consagra este recuerdo. 27 septiembre, 1921. JG Aguirre e . . . — Map (db m128407) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — General Manuel González Flores
En esta casa vivió el Presidente de México; General Manuel González Flores, cuando entregó el poder a Porfirio Díaz, fue declarado Gobernador de Guanajuato por la legislatura de dicho estado en (1885 -1893) cumpliendo 3 periodos . . . — Map (db m128445) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — José and Tomás Chávez Morado
En esta casa nacieron los Hnos. Jose Chavez Morado pintor muralista y Tomas escultor H. Ayuntamiento 1983-1985 Silao, Gto. Julio 25 1984 English translation: In this house were born the brothers José Chávez . . . — Map (db m128440) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — Parish of Santiago Apóstol
Parroquia Santiago Apostol En 1537 se erige la primera ermita, colocando en el lugar una cruz de madera traída por los tarascos. Diez años después se inicia la construcción del templo del hospital y en 1560, el Ilmo. Sr. Vasco de . . . — Map (db m128438) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — Pope Benedict XVI's Visit to Silao
3 de marzo 2013. A la memoria de la visita de SS Benedicto XVI a la Parroquia de Silao los fieles católicos le dedican esta escultura para perpetura su memoria, acrecentar su fe y fidelidad como representante de Cristo. Gracias a . . . — Map (db m128437) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — Temple of the Third Order
Templo Tercera Orden Fue construida en 1710 en honor del castísima patriarca Sr. San José terminado en 1727, fue ocupado por los franciscanos en 1731, mientras se construía el convento. Hasta 1793 la iglesia tuvo a su cargo las madres . . . — Map (db m128439) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — The Josephine Missionaries in the Diocese of León
Los Misioneros Josefinos en la Diócesis de León 1905-1938 Tuvieron tres centros misioneros: los Castillos, Irapuato y Silao. Su vocación misionera los impulsó a recorrer pueblos y parroquias circunvecinas para dar misiones y . . . — Map (db m128447) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — The Sanctuary of GuadalupeEl Santuario de Guadalupe
Salve Regina! El 12 de Marzo de 1943 se abrió de nuevo al culto este templo declarándolo SANTUARIO de GUADALUPE el Excmo. Sr. Obpo. Dioc. DR. D. EMETERIO VALVERDE TELLEZ. A iniciativa del Primer Capellán, el Pbro. D. José A Betancourt. . . . — Map (db m128514) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Villagrán), Villagrán — Temple of the Most Holy Conception
Templo de la Santísima Concepción Se dio principio a la construcción de este temple el dia 23 de abril de 1868 y se termino el 29 de junio de 1913. Habiendose hecho todos los trabajos bajo la dirección del maestro Vicente Tovar y su . . . — Map (db m127336) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Battle Formation — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Battle Formation Early on the autumn morning of Saturday 14 October 1066 two great armies are preparing to fight for the throne of England. On the top of this hill are arrayed the English forces of Harold Godwinson, who was crowned king just . . . — Map (db m128720) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Battle town and the abbey’s estates — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Battle town and the abbey’s estates Much of the land you can see was owned by Battle Abbey. William the Conqueror granted the monastery all the land within a radius of 1.5 miles of the abbey's high altar. The abbot of Battle had power over both . . . — Map (db m128711) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Battlefield to Vegetable Garden — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Battlefield to Vegetable Garden The garden behind this wall was part of the 19th century country estate, but was perhaps a garden or orchard in earlier times. The land here is part of the original battlefield, part of the slope defended by . . . — Map (db m128796) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Beehives in the Walled Garden — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Beehives in the Walled Garden The hives in the garden are based on an 1890s design by William Broughton Carr. The wooden hives help the bees stay cool in summer and warm in winter. They are built in sections using frames, so the bees are less . . . — Map (db m128800) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Dusk. William Victorious — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Dusk. William Victorious The Normans finally break through the shield wall and the English army is routed. During the final Norman assault the English shield wall breaks. The Normans begin to slaughter any who stand against them. Those . . . — Map (db m128795) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Great Gatehouse — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Great Gatehouse This Fortified gatehouse, the main entrance to the abbey, was begun in 1338. It replaces an earlier gatehouse. — Map (db m128715) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — On the very spot — Battle of Hastings, 1066
‘On the very spot’ Sources written within living memory of the Battle of Hastings in 1066 state that Battle Abbey was founded by William the Conqueror ‘on the very spot' where he had secured his great victory over King Harold and the English. . . . — Map (db m128710) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Reredorter — Battle of Hastings, 1066
. . . — Map (db m128794) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Stalemate — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Stalemate The successful Norman counter-attack brings the first phase of the battle to an end. It is probably early afternoon before the first phase of the battle has come to a close. Neither side has yet won a clear advantage. By now the men . . . — Map (db m128789) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Abbey and its History — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Abbey and its History William the Conqueror founded Battle Abbey in 1070 as a memorial to the Battle of Hastings and as an act of atonememt for the bloodshed. It was carefully laid out on this hillside with the church on the ridge. The . . . — Map (db m128792) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Afternoon Assaults — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Afternoon Assaults: Norman Trick Tactics During the afternoon the Normans weaken the English line by adopting a new tactic. It is now clear that the English are not going to be easily defeated. To create gaps in the shield wall, groups of . . . — Map (db m128790) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Battle of Hastings and Battle Abbey — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Battle of Hastings and Battle Abbey The Battle of Hastings was fought here on 14 October 1066. It is the most famous battle on English soil and its outcome had a profound impact on the history of England. William the Conqueror's . . . — Map (db m128713) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Duchess of Cleveland’s Walled Garden — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Duchess of Cleveland’s Walled Garden The walled garden is planted today with fruit trees, recreating the work of the Duchess of Cleveland. The Duke and Duchess, who bought Battle Abbey in the mid 19th century, were keen gardeners. The . . . — Map (db m128799) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The East Range — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The East Range These buildings contained the dormitory and the monastic latrines. The first floor of the east range in front of you was a single large dormitory or dorter where originally the abbot and all the monks slept. To the left of it, . . . — Map (db m128797) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The First Norman Attack — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The First Norman Attack The battle opens to the terrible sound of trumpets on both sides. William's men advance up the hill to attack the English shield wall. They are led by lightly armed foot soldiers and archers. Behind them are ranks of . . . — Map (db m128718) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The First Norman Attack — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The First Norman Attack The battle opens to the terrible sound of trumpets on both sides. William's men advance up the hill to attack the English shield wall. They are led by lightly armed foot soldiers and archers. Behind them are ranks of . . . — Map (db m128723) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Great Gatehouse — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Great Gatehouse The imposing size and elaborate decoration of the great gatehouse reflected the power and importance of Battle Abbey. This was the main entrance for visitors, as well as for merchants, traders and abbey staff bringing . . . — Map (db m128716) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Norman Counter-attack — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Norman Counter-Attack After rallying his forces, William counter-attacks the English. Encouraged by Duke William, the Normans turn and attack the English who have pursued them down the hill. Those who have been separated from the safety of . . . — Map (db m128788) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Norman Retreat — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Norman Retreat After ferocious fighting the first Norman attack falters and breaks. The left wing of Duke William's army, including a group of knights from Brittany, is driven back by the English. At the same time rumour spreads that Duke . . . — Map (db m128724) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Outer Court — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Outer Court You are standing in what was the outer court of the abbey, where its agricultural and industrial building were located. These would have included workshops, forges, barns, stables and storerooms. Many of the inhabitants of Battle . . . — Map (db m128717) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Weakened Shield Wall — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Weakened Shield Wall Duke William brings forward archers in preparation for a final Norman assault on the English line. By late afternoon the feigned Norman retreats have thinned the ranks of Harold's shield-wall. Duke William's bowmen are . . . — Map (db m128791) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — William rallies his Forces — Battle of Hastings, 1066
William rallies his Forces Duke William shows his face in battle to prevent the Norman army fleeing from the field. As the Normans retreat in confusion from the English line, Duke William rides out to confront them. Lifting his helmet to show . . . — Map (db m128725) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — William the Conqueror Trail — Battle of Hastings, 1066
William the Conqueror Trail William,7th Duke of Normandy (1027-1087), set his stamp on the history of the Duchy of Normandy and of the Kingdom of England, their destinies becoming closely entwined for more than a century. The symbolic date 1066 . . . — Map (db m128709) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Ewhurst — Ewhurst War Memorial
In Grateful Memory Of The Men of the Parish Of Ewhurst Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914 — 1918 C. Adams · S.T. Batehup · E. Crouch · P.J. Curtis · J. Dennis · A. Eldridge · B. Eldridge · J. Fellows · E.J. Ford · A. Foster . . . — Map (db m128673) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Peake Knight
City of Westminster John Peake Knight 1828 – 86 Inventor of the World’s First Traffic Lights Which Were Erected Here 9th Dec. 1868 J.P. Knight Group Ltd. 1998 — Map (db m128352) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Parliament Square
Parliament Square Parliament Square represents the different arms of the state on each side of the square - Legislature to the east (the Houses of Parliament), Executive to the north (Whitehall), Judiciary to the west (the Supreme Court), and . . . — Map (db m128353) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Boiler House
. . . — Map (db m128418) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Brunel’s Engine House
Brunel’s Engine House The tunnel shaft and pumping house for Marc Brunel’s tunnel was constructed between 1825 and 1843. This was the first thoroughfare under a navigable river in the world. — Map (db m128417) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Cast Steel Segments
. . . — Map (db m128359) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — King George’s Field
King George's Field King George's Field is a memorial to King George V (1865-1936) in the heart of the Docklands, and one of only two such sites in Southwark. The park grew in three stages. In 1938, Bermondsey Borough Council used a grant of . . . — Map (db m128358) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Sailing of the Mayflower
. . . — Map (db m128378) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Sands Film Studio
London Borough of Southwark The Rotherhithe Picture Research Library & Sands Film Studio in Grice’s Granary since 1976, a working building since the 1780’s Voted by the People — Map (db m128380) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — St Mary Rotherhithe
St Mary Rotherhithe Free School Founded by Peter Hill and Robert Bell Esqs. 1613 Charity School instituted 1742 Removed here 1797 Supported by Voluntary Contributions — Map (db m128377) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Surrey Docks Fire
London Borough of Southwark Surrey docks fire On September 7th 1940 the docks were set on fire in the first raid of the Blitz Voted by the People — Map (db m128354) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — The Mayflower
Built in the 17th century Mayflower has been the favoured Inn for many illustrious adventurers none more so than Captain Christopher Jones who set sail in the Mayflower in 1620 to discover the new world. Today the view across the Thames from . . . — Map (db m128381) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — This Tower
This Tower Being in Imminent Danger of Ruin Owing to the Weakness of the Foundation Was Underpinned and Made Secure In Memory of Emily Blanche Carr-Gomm Lady of the Manor of Rotherhithe By Her Son Hubert William Culling Carr-Gomm . . . — Map (db m128379) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Blitz Memorial
( inscribed around the base ) Memorial to the Civilians of East London 2nd World War 1939 - 45 — Map (db m128427) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Collapse at the Tower of London!
Collapse at the Tower of London! Between 1238-40 Henry III expanded the castle beyond the Roman city boundary, ringing it with a new wall and whitewashing the Norman tower. He also built a magnificent western entrance which unfortunately collapsed . . . — Map (db m128431) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Java Court
. . . — Map (db m128426) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Marine Police
Marine Police Primus Omnium Founded 1798 For Over 200 Years Police Have Patrolled The River Thames From This Site Stepney Historical Trust 1998 — Map (db m128422) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — Stephen & Matilda
Stephen & Matilda Tenants’ Co-operative 1878 – 2012 The first ever local authority estate under tenants’ control in Britain Homes for People not Profit — Map (db m128429) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — The Norman Tower of London
The Norman Tower of London Begun in 1075-9, William the Conqueror's stone tower was so impressive that the castle is still called the Tower today. He built the fortress on the river in the south east of the ancient Roman city to control Londoners . . . — Map (db m128430) HM

1446 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1246
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.