Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

380 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 180
 
Mozarts Geburtshaus image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, June 2, 2011
Mozarts Geburtshaus
Austria, Land Salzburg, Salzburg — Mozarts GeburtshausMozart's Birthplace
Marker Text in German: Mozarts Geburtshaus Mozart - Museum In diesem haus wurde W. A. Mozart am 27. Jänner 1756 geboren Marker Text in English: Mozart's Birthplace Mozart Museum In this house, W. A. Mozart was . . . — Map (db m128670) HM
Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — La Vielle Auberge / The Old InnSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"

Une auberge bien spéciale!

Cette maison à l'architecture particulière a été construite en 1872. D'abord résidence de Joseph Aubin et de sa femme, elle passe aux mains de son fils Alphonse au début du XXe siècle. . . . — Map (db m128506) HM

Quebec (La Mitis MRC), Sainte-Flavie — Le magasin général / The General StoreSainte-Flavie, "Porte de la Gaspésie"

Commerce de détail à Sainte-Flavie

Au début du XXe siècle, le magasin général est un élément important de la vie villageoise. Habituellement, on y trouve presque tout ce qui sert à l'usage domestique, de la nourriture à . . . — Map (db m128528) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Les maisons de notables / Noteworthy Houses

Sur les artères prestigieuses des villes, dans la seconde moitié du XIXe siècle, surgissent des maisons dont l'architecture distinctive leur a valu l'appellation de « châteaux victoriens ».

Ces maisons de notables . . . — Map (db m128484) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Maisons des faubourgs / Suburban Houses

Les faubourgs de Québec et de Montréal sont les premières excroissances périurbaines de la Nouvelle-France. Entre ville et campagne, le bâti y jouit d'abord d'une densité moindre et les maisons s'implantent seules, bordées de marges de . . . — Map (db m128880) HM

Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevačka CrkvaThe Franciscan Church
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128541) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Franjevački Samostan
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128540) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Grad TekstilaCity of Textiles
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128651) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Gradska VijećnicaThe City Hall
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128722) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Isusovački SamostanThe Jesuit Monastery
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128728) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Josip II. Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128872) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Krinolina LjubaviCrinoline of Love
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (center) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128601) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća BakićBakić House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128871) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća JaccominiHouse Jaccomini
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128721) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kuća RitzThe Ritz House
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128719) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Kula StražarnicaThe Watchtower
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128875) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Marija Terezüa Habsturško-LotarinškaVisits of the Habsburgs to Varaždin
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), German (middle) and English (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128648) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača DraškovićThe Drašković Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128727) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača Patačić - BužanPatačić - Bužan Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128873) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Palača SermageThe Sermage Palace
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128537) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Ratni spomenik iz 1915War memorial 1915
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (left), English (middle) and German (right). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128591) HM WM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Starí GradThe Old Town
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128908) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinska Crkva Rodenja IsusovogUrsluline Church of the Birth of Christ
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128538) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Uršulinski SamostanThe Ursuline Convent
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128539) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Varaždin - Stari gradOld Town - Die Alte Burg — Varaždin - The Old Castle
The text of this marker appears on the righthand side in three languages: Croatian (top), English (middle) and German (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge . . . — Map (db m128909) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — ŽitnicaThe Granary
The text of this marker appear in three languages: Croatian (top), German (middle) and English (bottom). Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and display them. . . . — Map (db m128874) HM
Croatia, Varaždin (county), Varaždin — Županijska PalačaVaraždin County Palace
The text of this marker appear in five languages: Croatian, on top, followed by English, German, French and Italian. Only the English text has been transcribed. To view the text in another language, click on the marker image to enlarge and . . . — Map (db m128596) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 100th Anniversary of the Birth of the Poet Osmundo Arriola
A este árbol añoso le canto emocionado el poeta quetzalteco Osmundo Arriola: “Hacia el fin de la calle que conduce a una iglesia y al piadoso recinto, que recoge a los muertos, hay un fuerte atalaya de crecida estatura, valeroso, . . . — Map (db m128803) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 100th Anniversary of the Marimba Ideal
“Centenaria Marimba Ideal” 2 de Oct. 1900 – 2 de Oct. 2000 Rinde homenaje póstumo a: Francisco Roman Bethancourt Mazariegos Fundador de Marimba Ideal 30 de mayo 1871 1 de mayo 1931 A Rodolfo, Domingo y Agustin . . . — Map (db m128804) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — 10th Anniversary of the Guatemalan Peace Accords
Secretaria de la Paz Presidencia de la Republica Que los pueblos tengan paz, mucha paz y que sean felices, dadnos buena vida, vida útil y existencia. Pop Wuj En conmemoración del X Aniversario de la Firma de la Paz . . . — Map (db m128631) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Bethel Evangelical Presbyterian Church
Centenario Predicacion del evangelio en Quetzaltenango Mayo de 1895 Mayo de 1995 Iglesia Evangelica Presbiteriana Bethel English translation: 100th Anniversary of Preaching the Gospel in Quetzaltenango May 1895 - May . . . — Map (db m128679) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Coronel Luis Aguilar Pelaez
La Corporación Municipal de Quetzaltenango Homenaje a la memoria del ilustre quetzalteco, coronel e ingeniero Don Luis Auguilar Pelaez por sus valiosos servicios a su tierra natal y la patria en el primer centenario de su nacimiento . . . — Map (db m128877) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Cultural CenterCasa de Cultura
Casa de la Cultura Cuando se construyó el templo del Espíritu Santo y el Convento de los Franciscanos, se destinó un lugar para el Camposanto o "Cementerio de Ánimas". Este cementerio abarcaba donde hoy se encuentra la Casa de la . . . — Map (db m128690) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Dr. Rodolfo Robles
La Municipalidad de Quetzaltenango deja constancia de su perpetuo reconocimiento a su preclaro hijo Dr. Rodolfo Robles Valverde en el centenario de su nacimiento. Quetzaltenango, 14 de enero de 1978. Por la altura de su ciencia, que . . . — Map (db m128851) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Efraín Recinos
En esta casa nació el 15 de mayo de 1928 Efrain Recinos pintor y escritor, arquitecto del Teatro Nacional de Guatemala Quetzalteco de genio universal Municipalidad de Quetzaltenango, 4 agosto 2000 English . . . — Map (db m128759) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Foundation of the Quetzaltenango Cemetery
Primera fundación formal de este cementerio erigida el año 1840. Aquí se conservan los restos del Sr. Dn. Felix López Monzón, Alcalde 2º de Quezalto, inmolado por los apasionamientos del 2 de abril de 1840. Juana Aguilar – 1840 - . . . — Map (db m128810) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Hospital General de Occidente “San Juan de Dios”
La dirección, administración, personal medico y para medico y personal en general, rinde honor a la Primera Comision para organizar y fundar el Hospital General de Occidente “San Juan de Dios” de Quetzaltenango Presidente . . . — Map (db m128645) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Justo Rufino Barrios
. . . — Map (db m128761) WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — La Exposición Artesanal e IndustrialThe Handicrafts and Industrial Exhibition
La Corporacion Municipal de Quetzaltenango y Comision Pro Centenario Expo Feria 1891-1991 deja testimonio y rinde homenaje a 80 artesanos y al Alcalde de la ciudad Lic. Manuel Estrada Cabrera, que el 27 de julio de 1891 fundan La . . . — Map (db m128742) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Los Altos Electric Railway
La Honorable Corporacion Municipal de Quetzaltenango al cumplirse en la presente fecha un cincuentenario de la inauguración del Ferrocarril Electrico de los Altos, consigna un patriótico recuerdo a aquella magna obra asi como un voto . . . — Map (db m128849) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Manuel Lisandro Barillas
General de Division Don Manuel Lisando Barillas Nació el 16 de enero de 1,845 Presidente de la Republica 6 de abril de 1,885 – 15 de marzo de 1,886 Provisorio 15 de marzo de 1,886 – 15 de marzo de 1,892 Constitucional . . . — Map (db m128733) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Monument to Benito Juárez
Monumento a Benito Juarez Nació en San Pablo Guelatao, Oaxaca, el 21 de marzo de 1806 y murió en la Ciudad de México, 18 de julio de 1872 fue un abogado y político mexicano, de origen indígena zapoteca, presidente de México en varias . . . — Map (db m128639) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Mother María Encarnación Rosal
Sierva de Dios Madre Maria Encarnacion Rosal Madre, Maestra y Guia de la Congregacion Bethlemita Las Hermanas Bethlemitas, el Comité Pro-Centenario y el pueblo católico de Guatemala, con amor y para perpetua memoria 1886 Primer . . . — Map (db m128876) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — National Girls School No. 2 "Antonia Estrada Monzón"
1911 2011 En este lugar se fundo el Kindergarden Nacional o Escuela Nacional de Niñas No. 2 “Antonia Estrada Monzon” de 1911 a 1942 En conmemoración a su centenario, personal docente y alumnado Quetzaltenango, mayo de 2011 . . . — Map (db m128649) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Rafael Landívar University
50 Años Landivar Guatemala. 1961. Universidad Rafael Landivar Campus de Quetzaltenango 1963-2013 Conmemorando que en este inmueble inicio sus actividades académicas el 2 de febrero de 1963 Campus de Quetzaltenango . . . — Map (db m128749) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Simón Bolívar
Simon Bolivar 1783-1830 “Hombre de America” Monumento inaugurado por el Licenciado Antonio Aveledo Leal Embajador de Venezuela y el Ingeniero Omar de Leon Argueta Alcalde Municipal. Estatua donada por Venezuela al pueblo . . . — Map (db m128696) HM WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — Site of the Discovery of the Virgin of Sorrows
Recuerdo del 1er Centenario del hallazgo de la Santisima Virgen de Dolores del Templo de San Juan de Dios – en esta casa Noviembre 19 1854 1954 Los Comites English translation: Tribute on the 100th anniversary . . . — Map (db m128746) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The 150th Anniversary of the Founding of QuetzaltenangoMonument to the Marimba
Admon. Laugerud 1974-1978 Con motivo del Sesquicentenario de la Ciudad de Quetzaltenango, el 29 de octubre de 1975, el Presidente de la Republica General Kjell Eugenio Laugerud Garcia, dispuso la construcción de este . . . — Map (db m128732) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The Death of Remigio Mérida
Ciudadano del Mundo Libre: Aqui cayó Remigio Merida H., niño quezalteco de 12 años de edad, victima inocente de los conculcadores del derecho y la libertad. El Colegio Americano, consagra a la memoria del héroe inocente, este sencillo . . . — Map (db m128730) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The Quetzaltenango City Hall
Palacio Municipal El inmueble en donde funcionó el primer Ayuntamiento de Quetzaltenango estaba ubicado en el lugar donde actualmente se encuentra el Palacio Municipal. Fue comprado en 1812. Durante esos años, hasta 1881 año en que . . . — Map (db m128682) HM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — The Soldiers Monument of Quetzaltenango
La Municipalidad de Quezaltenango al soldado desconocido que murió por la patria La Facultad de Derecho y Notariado de Occidente al Lic. Sinforoso Aguilar 13 Set. de 1897 Capitan Saturnino Pleites Oct. 3 de 1897 Juan Aparicio H. . . . — Map (db m128816) WM
Guatemala, Quetzaltenango (Municipality of Quetzaltenango) — World Record for a Marathon While Jumping Rope
El Honorable Concejo Municipal de la Ciudad de Quetzaltenango Dr. Jorge Rolando Barrientos Pellecer Alcalde Municipal El Organo de Coordinacion, vecinos y la Comision de Deporte del COCODE de la Colonia Minerva rinden perpetuo . . . — Map (db m128870) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Dr. Frederick Wilson Popenoe
La Asociacion de Graduados de la Escuela Agricola Panamericana El Zamorano, Honduras agradece a Dr. Wilson Popenoe 1er. Director y Fundador Distinguido científico y educador Tu legado plasmado en la educación Zamorana ha contribuido . . . — Map (db m128613) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Father Hermógenes López Coarchita
Este lugar guardo por 11 años los restos del primer sacerdote mártir Padre Hermogenes Lopez Coarchita 3 de julio 1978 Fueron trasladados a la Iglesia de San Jose Pinula el 30 de junio 1989 English translation: In . . . — Map (db m128575) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Juan José Rodil and Companions
Juan Jose Rodil y Compañeros Martires de la libertad sacrificados en el frente del Templo del Calvaro el 5 de octubre de 1915 English translation: Juan José Rodil and Companions Martyrs for liberty, assassinated . . . — Map (db m128571) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Manuel Gálvez y Corral
Aquí vivió el Alcalde Manuel Gálvez y Corral 1759-1763 English translation: Here lived the Mayor Manuel Gálvez y Corral 1759-1763 — Map (db m128576) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — Mariano Navarrete
Esta casa fue donada a la Municipalidad por el presbítero Mariano Navarrete para la instruccion publica gratuita en Antigua Guatemala. Homenaje Junta Asesora de Turismo Deptal en el 1er. centenario de su muerte 16 de noviembre de . . . — Map (db m128524) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Hermitage of the Holy Calvary
Ermita del Santo Calvario 1 BI – CNPAG. – IV - 11 1618 Demarcacion del solar para edificar el templo. 1619 Colocacion del la cruz atrial y construcción del primer portal. 1647 Se determino la edificación formal del . . . — Map (db m128525) HM
Guatemala, Sacatepéquez (Municipality of Antigua Guatemala), Antigua Guatemala — The Lions Club of Antigua Guatemala
En esta casa se fundo el Club de Leones de Antigua Guatemala el 25 de septiembre de 1954 Bodas de Plata 1979 English translation: In this house was founded the Lions Club of Antigua Guatemala on September 25, 1954 . . . — Map (db m128517) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of San Marcos) — Rubén Mérida Escobar
El Estado de Guatemala a través del Programa Nacional de Resarcimiento – PNR – Como un justo reconocimiento a la memoria del ilustre Profesor: Rubén Mérida Escobar. Quien por sus ideales de ver a una patria con paz y justicia, fue . . . — Map (db m128912) HM WM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of Tejutla), Tejutla — 350th Anniversary of Founding of Santiago Tejutla
1627-1977. La Honorable Corporacion Municipal periodo 1976-1980 y pueblo de Tejutla, rinden un sincero homenaje de reconocimiento a nuestros antepasados fundadores de este pueblo, bautizado con el nombre de “Santiago Tejutla” . . . — Map (db m128889) HM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of Tejutla), Tejutla — The Liberal Revolution and General Barrios
Municipalidad y pueblo tejutleco rinden homenaje al primer centenario de la Revolucion Liberal de 1871 Tejutla junio 30 1971 Municipalidad, Coordinadora Inter-institucional Municipal y pueblo de Tejutla al primer centenario muerte . . . — Map (db m128895) HM WM
Guatemala, San Marcos (Municipality of Tejutla), Tejutla — The Roppe Hospital and Solidarity Dispensary
Hospitalito “Roppe” Dispensario Solidario En 1967, Tejutla fue uno de los lugares elegido por Dios para ser anfitriona de la misión Belga, encabezada por el Rvdo. Juan Vander Vaeren, Srita. enfermera Marlen Spaas Josten, . . . — Map (db m128906) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Silao), Silao — The Sanctuary of GuadalupeEl Santuario de Guadalupe
Salve Regina! El 12 de Marzo de 1943 se abrió de nuevo al culto este templo declarándolo SANTUARIO de GUADALUPE el Excmo. Sr. Obpo. Dioc. DR. D. EMETERIO VALVERDE TELLEZ. A iniciativa del Primer Capellán, el Pbro. D. José A Betancourt. . . . — Map (db m128514) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Battle Formation — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Battle Formation Early on the autumn morning of Saturday 14 October 1066 two great armies are preparing to fight for the throne of England. On the top of this hill are arrayed the English forces of Harold Godwinson, who was crowned king just . . . — Map (db m128720) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Battle town and the abbey’s estates — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Battle town and the abbey’s estates Much of the land you can see was owned by Battle Abbey. William the Conqueror granted the monastery all the land within a radius of 1.5 miles of the abbey's high altar. The abbot of Battle had power over both . . . — Map (db m128711) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Battlefield to Vegetable Garden — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Battlefield to Vegetable Garden The garden behind this wall was part of the 19th century country estate, but was perhaps a garden or orchard in earlier times. The land here is part of the original battlefield, part of the slope defended by . . . — Map (db m128796) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Beehives in the Walled Garden — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Beehives in the Walled Garden The hives in the garden are based on an 1890s design by William Broughton Carr. The wooden hives help the bees stay cool in summer and warm in winter. They are built in sections using frames, so the bees are less . . . — Map (db m128800) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Dusk. William Victorious — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Dusk. William Victorious The Normans finally break through the shield wall and the English army is routed. During the final Norman assault the English shield wall breaks. The Normans begin to slaughter any who stand against them. Those . . . — Map (db m128795) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Great Gatehouse — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Great Gatehouse This Fortified gatehouse, the main entrance to the abbey, was begun in 1338. It replaces an earlier gatehouse. — Map (db m128715) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — On the very spot — Battle of Hastings, 1066
‘On the very spot’ Sources written within living memory of the Battle of Hastings in 1066 state that Battle Abbey was founded by William the Conqueror ‘on the very spot' where he had secured his great victory over King Harold and the English. . . . — Map (db m128710) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Reredorter — Battle of Hastings, 1066
. . . — Map (db m128794) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — Stalemate — Battle of Hastings, 1066
Stalemate The successful Norman counter-attack brings the first phase of the battle to an end. It is probably early afternoon before the first phase of the battle has come to a close. Neither side has yet won a clear advantage. By now the men . . . — Map (db m128789) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Abbey and its History — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Abbey and its History William the Conqueror founded Battle Abbey in 1070 as a memorial to the Battle of Hastings and as an act of atonememt for the bloodshed. It was carefully laid out on this hillside with the church on the ridge. The . . . — Map (db m128792) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Afternoon Assaults — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Afternoon Assaults: Norman Trick Tactics During the afternoon the Normans weaken the English line by adopting a new tactic. It is now clear that the English are not going to be easily defeated. To create gaps in the shield wall, groups of . . . — Map (db m128790) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Battle of Hastings and Battle Abbey — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Battle of Hastings and Battle Abbey The Battle of Hastings was fought here on 14 October 1066. It is the most famous battle on English soil and its outcome had a profound impact on the history of England. William the Conqueror's . . . — Map (db m128713) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Duchess of Cleveland’s Walled Garden — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Duchess of Cleveland’s Walled Garden The walled garden is planted today with fruit trees, recreating the work of the Duchess of Cleveland. The Duke and Duchess, who bought Battle Abbey in the mid 19th century, were keen gardeners. The . . . — Map (db m128799) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The East Range — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The East Range These buildings contained the dormitory and the monastic latrines. The first floor of the east range in front of you was a single large dormitory or dorter where originally the abbot and all the monks slept. To the left of it, . . . — Map (db m128797) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The First Norman Attack — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The First Norman Attack The battle opens to the terrible sound of trumpets on both sides. William's men advance up the hill to attack the English shield wall. They are led by lightly armed foot soldiers and archers. Behind them are ranks of . . . — Map (db m128718) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The First Norman Attack — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The First Norman Attack The battle opens to the terrible sound of trumpets on both sides. William's men advance up the hill to attack the English shield wall. They are led by lightly armed foot soldiers and archers. Behind them are ranks of . . . — Map (db m128723) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Great Gatehouse — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Great Gatehouse The imposing size and elaborate decoration of the great gatehouse reflected the power and importance of Battle Abbey. This was the main entrance for visitors, as well as for merchants, traders and abbey staff bringing . . . — Map (db m128716) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Norman Counter-attack — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Norman Counter-Attack After rallying his forces, William counter-attacks the English. Encouraged by Duke William, the Normans turn and attack the English who have pursued them down the hill. Those who have been separated from the safety of . . . — Map (db m128788) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Norman Retreat — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Norman Retreat After ferocious fighting the first Norman attack falters and breaks. The left wing of Duke William's army, including a group of knights from Brittany, is driven back by the English. At the same time rumour spreads that Duke . . . — Map (db m128724) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Outer Court — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Outer Court You are standing in what was the outer court of the abbey, where its agricultural and industrial building were located. These would have included workshops, forges, barns, stables and storerooms. Many of the inhabitants of Battle . . . — Map (db m128717) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — The Weakened Shield Wall — Battle of Hastings, 1066
The Weakened Shield Wall Duke William brings forward archers in preparation for a final Norman assault on the English line. By late afternoon the feigned Norman retreats have thinned the ranks of Harold's shield-wall. Duke William's bowmen are . . . — Map (db m128791) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — William rallies his Forces — Battle of Hastings, 1066
William rallies his Forces Duke William shows his face in battle to prevent the Norman army fleeing from the field. As the Normans retreat in confusion from the English line, Duke William rides out to confront them. Lifting his helmet to show . . . — Map (db m128725) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Battle — William the Conqueror Trail — Battle of Hastings, 1066
William the Conqueror Trail William,7th Duke of Normandy (1027-1087), set his stamp on the history of the Duchy of Normandy and of the Kingdom of England, their destinies becoming closely entwined for more than a century. The symbolic date 1066 . . . — Map (db m128709) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Ewhurst — Ewhurst War Memorial
In Grateful Memory Of The Men of the Parish Of Ewhurst Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914 — 1918 C. Adams · S.T. Batehup · E. Crouch · P.J. Curtis · J. Dennis · A. Eldridge · B. Eldridge · J. Fellows · E.J. Ford · A. Foster . . . — Map (db m128673) WM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Deal — Deal Castle
Historic Deal Deal Castle Historic Deal In 1539-1540 King Henry VIII carried out an enormous programme of defensive building round the eastern and southern coasts of England. Having renounced catholicism, he was expecting invasion from his . . . — Map (db m128669) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — A View of the Harbour
A View of the Harbour Below you is Admiralty Harbour, the naval and merchant port that made Dover so important in the First and Second World Wars. There has been a harbour here since Roman times: this one was built in stages between 1847 and 1909 . . . — Map (db m128521) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — A View to the East
A View to the East This view along the coast reveals the towering height of the famous White Cliffs, elements of Dover's past defences and its ever-changing port. On the distant hill, a tall mast occupies the site of Langdon Battery, where . . . — Map (db m128520) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — A View to the West
A View to the West This view looks down into the ancient heart of Dover. The Romans built two forts and a settlement, known as Portus Dubris. These were succeeded by a thriving Saxon and a later medieval walled town, all nestled in the . . . — Map (db m128522) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Admiral Sir Bertram Home Ramsay
Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay KCB KBE (1883-1945) This statue commemorates Admiral Sir Bertram Home Ramsay, the inspirational commander of the naval forces during the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940 and D-Day in 1944. He served in the tunnels below Dover . . . — Map (db m128560) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay
In Memory Of Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay KCB KBE MVO 1883 — 1945 Vice Admiral Dover 1939 – 42 C-inC Allied Naval Expeditionary Force June 1944 and of those who died in the Dunkirk and Normandy operations ( back ) I . . . — Map (db m128561) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Arthur’s Hall
Arthur’s Hall 1240 This was Henry III’s Great Hall, and was remodelled as a barracks in 1745-56. — Map (db m128502) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Buildings of Dover Castle
St Mary-in-Castro church was built around AD 1000, before the Norman Conquest. The pharos is a Roman lighthouse and the oldest building in the castle. The Duke of Suffolk’s Lodgings, a castle building modified for the Duke of Buckingham in . . . — Map (db m128503) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Command, Control and Communication
Command, Control and Communication This building began in 1874 as a gun battery to defend Dover from attack by enemy ships. Beginning in 1891, the battery was decommissioned and the structure adapted so that, by the First World War, it fulfilled . . . — Map (db m128518) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Dover’s defences
Dover's defences A mighty fortress There was a castle here shortly after the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066. The medieval defences visible today were built in three periods between 1179 and 1256. They evolved over the next 700 years, . . . — Map (db m128505) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Dover’s early history
Dover’s early history Long before the castle People occupied this hill over 2,000 years ago and as much as 1,200 years before Dover Castle was first built. the huge earthworks of the castle outer bailey probably began as the ramparts of an . . . — Map (db m128500) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Fighting the Enemy in the Sky
Fighting the Enemy in the Sky The First World War brought a new threat of destruction to home shores from airships and aircraft, invented just a few years earlier and recently armed. This was a terrifying development that needed a quick response, . . . — Map (db m128515) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Finding the Enemy
Finding the Enemy This tiny structure, a Position-Finding (PF) Cell, performed a major role in the period 1891-1918. It was used to pinpoint the position of enemy ships and to relay that information to the coast defence guns at Langdon Battery, 1km . . . — Map (db m128516) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Instruments of Punishment
Near This Spot Were The Town’s Instrument Of Punishment Including Stocks Pillory Whipping Post And Cage The Dover Society — Map (db m128565) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Louis Blériot 1909
Auguste Louis Blériot (b.July 1, Cambrai, France 1872; d.August 2, 1936), graduated from École Centrale Paris with a degree in engineering. At 30 he taught himself to fly in an aircraft of his own design, his skills as a pilot and designer . . . — Map (db m128568) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Market Square — Historic Dover
( west side ) Historic Dover Market Square A fair or market has been held in the Square since at least 1160, the most important being the annual St. Martin's Fair. Dover's Guildhall was built in the centre of the Square in 1605 on . . . — Map (db m128563) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Medieval Dover
Medieval Dover The heart of the medieval castle The inner bailey of the castle was built for King Henry II by his engineer, Maurice, largely between 1179 and 1199. It contained the Great Tower, which formed the ceremonial, defensive and . . . — Map (db m128504) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Old Market Hall
. . . — Map (db m128564) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Operation Dynamo
In Memory Of The Rescue Of Allied Forces From Dunkirk, May - June 1940 To The Rescuers Whose Courage Made It Possible And To The Rescued Who Lived To Fight Again May 2015 — Map (db m128559) WM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Ramsay: retreat and return
Ramsay: retreat and return Operation Dynamo 1940 The German attack into western Europe in May 1940 led to the allied armies rapidly retreating. By late May, the British Expeditionary Force and parts of the French and Belgian armies were trapped . . . — Map (db m128558) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Rebuilt Bank
. . . — Map (db m128566) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — Saluting Platform
Saluting Platform Beneath here is the Long Gun Magazine, a gunpowder magazine of c1800. This was buried in the 1930s to form this parade ground and saluting platform. — Map (db m128562) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — St. Mary’s Church and Cannon Street — Historic Dover
St. Mary’s Church and Cannon Street Historic Dover The Church of St. Mary the Virgin has been one of Dover's main parish churches for over 400 years. The building is of early Norman origin, and Norman architecture can still be seen in the lower . . . — Map (db m128567) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Dover — The Signal Platform
The Signal Platform Below you, the roof of the Port War Signal Station (PWSS) formed a signalling platform during the First World War. It was replaced in the Second World War by the roof you are standing on. Signallers on the roof sent messages . . . — Map (db m128519) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), East Langdon — East Langdon
Historic Village East Langdon Langdon means “at the long down" or "at the long hill”. The village is to the east of the long down stretching from Whitfield to Deal. We do not know when people first settled here but the name Langandune . . . — Map (db m128672) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Martin Mill — Martin Mill
Historic Village Martin Mill Martin Mill lies on-an ancient trackway from St. Margaret's Bay near Dover leading towards Canterbury. In the middle of the 18th century a miller from St. Margaret's built an early type of Kentish smock windmill . . . — Map (db m128671) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Fairhope — Marietta Johnson
Marietta Johnson, world leader of the Progressive Education Movement founded the School of Organic Education in 1907. The school, which demonstrated her philosophy, attracted intellectuals and artists. Her work is a reminder of Fairhope’s . . . — Map (db m128888) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — "Testament"Civil Rights Memorial Sculpture of the Little Rock Nine
Facing law and social custom that defined them as second tier citizens, the Little Rock Nine, taking their cue from the ever expanding struggle for civil rights, opted to define themselves quite differently. With the help of stalwart parents, other . . . — Map (db m128501) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free LandArkansas Liberty Bell Replica
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Arkansas by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence . . . — Map (db m128491) HM
Arkansas (Pulaski County), Little Rock — To The Confederate Women of Arkansas1861-1865
”Whose pious ministrations to our wounded soldiers soothed the last hours of those who died for the object of their tenderest love; whose domestic labors contributed much to supply the wants of our defenders in the field; whose jealous faith . . . — Map (db m128513) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Chinese Heaven DogsMing Dynasty 1403 - 1643
Heaven Dogs were believed by the Chinese to ward off evil spirits and were widely used to guard the sacred Ming Tombs in the interior of China. They were first introduced in the reign of Huo Pin in 117 BC and achieved their greatest vogue in the . . . — Map (db m128836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Hollywood & Vine
Hollywood was given its name by pioneers Mr. and Mrs. Horace H. Wilcox. They subdivided their ranch in 1887 and called two dirt cross-roads Prospect Avenue and Weyse Avenue. Prospect Avenue, the main artery, was renamed Hollywood Boulevard and Weyse . . . — Map (db m128863) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — The Magic Castle
In Sept. 1961, Milton Page Larsen leased this building, which would become the world-famous Magic Castle, with a handshake and a dream. Renovations began on the historic 1910 Rollin B. Lane mansion with the help and contributions of many friends . . . — Map (db m128765) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — University of Southern California — Angels Walk — USC
The First Trojan—Before There Was A University. Amid the ivy-covered brick buildings and towering palm trees of the University of Southern California, there survives a two-story white clapboard building, a relic and a link not only to . . . — Map (db m128578) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Marina Del Rey — Marina Del ReyThirtieth Anniversary — 1957-1987
On December 12, 1957, near this site a groundbreaking ceremony took place to signal the start of construction of the Marina Del Rey small craft harbor, a revenue bond project of the County of Los Angeles. Under the guidance of the Los . . . — Map (db m128455) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Santa Monica City Hall
City Hall was built in 1938 from a plan by architects Donald B. Parkinson and J.M. Estep in the Classical/Moderne style. Commissioned under the Federal Emergency Administration of the Public Works Program, the design is exemplary of the many New . . . — Map (db m128854) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Sayre FireNovember 14-20, 2008
On November 14, 2008, the Sayre (or Sylmar) Fire, a wind-driven fire, quickly moved through the hillside brush into residential areas above the 210 freeway and west of the 5 freeway. The fire was contained on November 20, 2008 after burning 11,262 . . . — Map (db m128526) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Venice — History of Ballona Lagoon
Today, Ballona Lagoon is a (16-acre) remnant of a formerly extensive coastal wetland. Like other southern California wetlands, urbanization has reduced its size and degraded its habitat over the last century. Historically, Ballona was much larger . . . — Map (db m128456) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Westchester — Flight PathAviation Walk of Honor
North American P-51D Mustang The etching above, taken from an illustration by artist Jean-Luc Beghin, depicts a P-51 Mustang cockpit. The airplane was designed and manufactured in only 100 days by North American Aviation located in El . . . — Map (db m128701) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Big Bear Lake — 725 — Old Bear Valley Dam
In 1884 Frank Brown built an unusual dam here to supply irrigation water for the Redlands area. The single-arch granite dam formed Big Bear Lake, then the world’s largest man-made lake. Engineers claimed the dam would not hold, and declared it . . . — Map (db m128510) HM
California (San Diego County), Carlsbad — Carlsbad's First Firehouse
Built in 1942, the North Sector office of California State Parks was the first fire station in northern San Diego County. The Caifornia Division of Forestry (CDF) occupied the building until 1973 when California State parks acquired it.

From . . . — Map (db m128479) HM

California (San Diego County), Coronado — C-2A Greyhound
Manufactured By: Grumman Aircraft Eng. Corp. Engines: 2 Allison T56-A-426 Turboprops Propeller: Hamilton Standard Built: 1964 Max Speed: 343 KTS Max Range: 1300 NM Capacity: 4 Crew and 26 Passengers or 10,000 LBS of cargo Mission: . . . — Map (db m128483) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — H-46 40 Years of ServiceJune 1964 - September 2004
Presented in tribute to over 40 years of flight operations logged in support of the Naval Service by the H-46 Sea Knight Helicopter. The Boeing Co. — Map (db m128485) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Mint HillA Trip Through Local History — Clyde Wahrhaftig

In 1936 almost half of Mint Hill was removed to create a flat base for the Mint.

In 1947 Duboce Avenue east of the Sunset Tunnel was crowded with automobiles as shoppers thronged to the farmers’ market.

The area near Market . . . — Map (db m128827) HM

California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — To the Chinese men and women who came to Gold Mountain
To the Chinese men and women who came to Gold Mountain. Site of the fourth and last Chinatown in Santa Cruz, 1894-1955. — Map (db m128676) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 4 — Hunt Olive Tree
Only surviving tree of an orchard planted by R.O. Hunt on the Salto Ranch which he established in 1876. — Map (db m128511) HM
California (Ventura County), Westlake Village — The Lone Oak
This monument is dedicated to the centuries-old heritage oak tree that once stood at this intersection. Thousand Oaks grew around this majestic tree and it became an enduring symbol of the region’s rural history. A replacement oak tree was planted . . . — Map (db m128508) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — Pierre Samuel DuPont de Nemours Memorial
Sacred to the memory of Pierre Samuel DuPont de Nemours Knight of the Order of Vasa, of the Legion of Honor and of the Order of Du Lis, Counselor of State, Member of the First Constituent Assembly, President of the Council of Ancients and member of . . . — Map (db m128801) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Greenville — NCC-222 — Saint Joseph on the Brandywine Church
As early as 1813, Mass was celebrated in private homes throughout the area. St. Joseph Church was built in 1841 by a diverse community of Roman Catholic immigrants to meet the needs of the growing Catholic population. The nearby DuPont powder . . . — Map (db m128683) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 17 of 17 — The Place to ShopMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
When Northern Liberty Market opened on Mount Vernon Square in 1846, small businesses soon followed. By 1900 they catered to everyday needs and formed a bargain district in comparison to downtown's fancy department stores. Many stores were . . . — Map (db m128487) HM
Florida (Glades County), Ortona — F-748 — Hurricane of 1928
The Okeechobee Hurricane of 1928 was the most deadly hurricane ever to strike the state of Florida. An estimated 2500 persons in South Florida died when the storm came ashore on September 16, 1928 near the Jupiter Lighthouse and traveled west across . . . — Map (db m128832) HM
Florida (Hendry County), Denaud — F-282 — Fort Denaud
The combined pressure of growing white settlement in Florida and federal policy of relocating Indian tribes west of the Mississippi sparked the outbreak of the 2nd Seminole War in 1835. Controlling the coasts and campaigning in the heart of Seminole . . . — Map (db m128831) HM
Florida (Lee County), Alva — Alva Library-Owanita Chapel
Formed 1901, the Alva Book Club, was incorporated as the Alva Library Association November 15, 1906. It provided the first public library in Southwest Florida on this lot donated by Captain Peter Nelson, Alva's founder. This library was dedicated . . . — Map (db m128652) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — F-1009 — Little Haiti's Mache Ayisyen-"The Caribbean Marketplace"
In the 1980s, thousands of Haitian immigrants settled in Miami, and the neighborhood of Little Haiti began to form. The building that would become this Haitian marketplace was originally constructed in 1936, but sat unused at the time. In 1984, the . . . — Map (db m128656) HM
Florida (Okeechobee County), Okeechobee — F-921 — First United Methodist Church of Okeechobee, Florida
In May 1915, Reverend William Troutman and seven founders established the First United Methodist Church (Methodist Episcopal Church South). The first church building was completed in 1916 on land donated by the Okeechobee Company, a Henry Flagler . . . — Map (db m128659) HM
Florida (Okeechobee County), Okeechobee — F-926 — Tantie School House #141909-1916
The first school in the region north of Lake Okeechobee, known as “The Bend,” was a thatched-roof structure built around 1897. Homesteader Peter Raulerson and family did not have enough children old enough to support a school, and were . . . — Map (db m128661) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kenansville — Illahaw
Illahaw was a small turpentine operation located near here on the Florida East Coast RR owned by Henry Flagler. It had a post office in 1923 which closed in 1935. Once the pine trees were all cut down, the mill closed. RR services ended in 1947. . . . — Map (db m128662) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kenansville — Nittaw Station
Once part of Henry Flagler's Florida East Coast Railway, Nittaw was a stop on the railroad that ran from Wewahootie to Okeechobee. Nittaw became a sawmill town, maintaining a small population and post office. The closing of the Okeechobee Rail Line . . . — Map (db m128663) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), North Port — Little Salt Spring
The waters of this unusual archeological and paleontological site have yielded preserved human skeletal remains and artifacts dating from 10,000 to 3000 B.C. Animal fossils have also been recovered. Including species of extinct tortoise, sloth, . . . — Map (db m128665) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), North Port — Prehistoric Man Lived Here/Spring Was Once a Cave
Prehistoric Man Lived Here More than 10,000 years ago prehistoric man, sabre-tooth cats, giant sloths, mammoths and mastodons lived in this area of Florida which eons later became a part of Sarasota County. Warm Mineral Springs, here, and . . . — Map (db m128664) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Friendship Baptist Church
The first church in Sarasota County was organized by John Hendry July 6, 1875. Charter members of the Friendship Baptist Church were E.R. and Emiline Foster, Rebecca Lowe, Mrs. L.F. Rawls, Martha Reaves, I.A. and Eleanor Redd, John Tatum, Serene . . . — Map (db m128653) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — The Old Senator
This magnificent LIVE OAK is one of the most remarkable trees in North America, reputed to be well over 600 years old, and thus surviving as though silent witness to that dramatic moment in 1513 when Juan Ponce de Leon finally discovered Saint . . . — Map (db m128655) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ormond Beach — John Andrew Bostrom1836-1927 — In memory of
Pioneer Settler and Founder of Ormond Beach — Map (db m128498) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ormond Beach — Joseph Downing Price1853-1911 — In memory of
Pioneer Settler & Entrepreneur Co-Incorporator & Mayor Of Ormond Beach Builder & Owner Of The Hotel Ormond Organizer Of First Auto Races On Ormond Beach — Map (db m128499) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty The . . . — Map (db m128523) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Frank SteunenbergGovernor of Idaho — 1897-1900
When in 1899 organized lawlessness challenged the power of Idaho, he upheld the dignity of the state, enforced its authority and restored law and order within its boundaries, for which he was assassinated in 1905. “Rugged in body, . . . — Map (db m128543) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Idaho's Liberty Bell Replica
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Idaho by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence . . . — Map (db m128542) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Oregon Trail Monument
Placed here by Ezra Meeker on May 9, 1906 Pioneer • Preservationist • Visionary Ezra Meeker was largely responsible for locating and preserving the Old Oregon Trail. To commemorate the centennial of this monument, a time capsule of . . . — Map (db m128544) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Florence — The Ninety-Ninth Illinois Infantry
The Ninety-Ninth Illinois Infantry, Pike County's famous Civil War regiment and first regiment out of state under call of 1862, was mustered at Florence Illinois and embarked at this spot for St. Louis, August 23rd, 1862. Was 62 days under fire. . . . — Map (db m128674) HM WM
Illinois (Pike County), Nebo — The First U.S. Transcontinental Flight
Calbraith “Cal” Rodgers, the first man to fly across the United States, landed near this spot on Oct. 10, 1911. The flight took 49 days. Nebo was one of 68 recorded landing sites. Rodgers’ aircraft was a Wright EX biplane named the . . . — Map (db m128623) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Charles Lame House
Lincoln visited here. Lincoln’s 1858 Senatorial campaign visit to Pittsfield prompted a test firing of the cannon which was a popular campaign practice of the time. Charles Lame was seriously injured during the test firing. Lincoln walked down to . . . — Map (db m128777) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Colonel William Ross HouseLincoln Stayed Here
Built 1845-1846, partially destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1896. Lincoln stayed here during his 1858 Senatorial campaign visit. Ross served as an aide to Gen. Atkinson and was responsible for Lincoln's appointment to company captaincy during the . . . — Map (db m128771) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — In Memoriam
In loving and grateful tribute to Pike County's Union Soldiers of the Civil War, the 3,132 heroic men who offered their lives as sacrifice to their country, 1861-1865, and, joining hands in common cause, repeated the oath of America's . . . — Map (db m128708) WM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — In Memory of John Thomson Hodgen, M.D. and Henry Hodgen Mudd, M.D.
IN MEMORY OF

JOHN THOMSON HODGEN, M.D. Born, Hodgenville, KY. January 17. 1826 Died, St. Louis, MO. April 28. 1882 Professor of surgery, St. Louis Medical College President of American Medical Association

AND

HENRY HODGEN . . . — Map (db m128675) HM

Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Mansion House Hotel
The Mansion House Hotel was built in 1838 by William Watson, the first settler of Pittsfield. According to old records, Abraham Lincoln, Stephen Douglas would gather in the lobby between court sessions while waiting for a verdict. Future Illinois . . . — Map (db m128769) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Michael J. Noyes HouseLincoln Spoke Here — Built 1841-1846
Michael Noyes was a native of New Hampshire and settled in Pittsfield in 1841, after having spent years in Pike County, Mo. He was the founder and editor of Pike County’s first newspaper in 1841, “The Sucker and Farmer’s Record.” He was . . . — Map (db m128779) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Reuben Scanland HouseBuilt ca. 1850's
Scanland was mayor of Pittsfield and a prominent attorney and judge. He backed Lincoln in the 1858 Senate race and Lincoln stayed here during his visit in October 1858. One of the stories associated with this home is of Mrs. Scanland's turkey . . . — Map (db m128780) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Site of the Daniel H. Gilmer Home and Law Office.
Abraham Lincoln visited the home and law office of Daniel Gilmer often. Gilmer was a leading attorney and Whig supporter. One day Gilmer’s nine year old daughter Elizabeth, known to everyone as Lizzie, was swinging on the front gate when Lincoln . . . — Map (db m128773) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Site Of The Free Press Newspaper
John Nicolay was only 16 years old when he gained employment as a printer’s devil at this site; he would eventually become the sole proprietor of the Free Press Newspaper. When old friends Tom Shastid and Abraham Lincoln met one day in Pittsfield, . . . — Map (db m128772) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Star HotelLincoln Stayed Here — built ca. 1840's
Built by Capt. George T. Edwards, born March 25, 1814, who emigrated from Tennessee in 1828, and settled in Pittsfield in 1835. Capt. Edwards was active in a number of businesses, including teaming, farming, grocery, mail-contracting & hotel . . . — Map (db m128778) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — The Pike County Poet
Abraham Lincoln formed some very close friendships with several citizens of Pittsfield. Among the most prominent ones were Milton Hay, John Milton Hay, and John George Nicolay. Milton Hay was born in 1817, and he moved to Pittsfield in 1840. He was . . . — Map (db m128776) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — The Printer's Devil
When John George Nicolay was sixteen years old, a friend showed him an ad in The Pike County Free Press newspaper dated May 11, 1848. It advertised for "An intelligent boy, 14 to 17 years of age, who can read and write, to learn the Printing . . . — Map (db m128774) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — The Shastid HouseLooking for Lincoln
John G. Shastid moved his family to Pittsfield in 1836 from New Salem, where he had been a neighbor to Abraham Lincoln. Pittsfield was the county seat, yet there were only six houses here at the time. John bought one of them. Finding the . . . — Map (db m128775) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Veterans Memorial
A grateful community honors those men and women who have served this nation in the United State's Armed forces. Although you may not have been known by all, you will never be forgotten by any. In God We Trust Pike County, Illinois est. 1821 — Map (db m128629) WM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — William Grimshaw HouseBuilt 1847
Grimshaw was admitted to the bar in Philadelphia, PA, and came to Pike County in 1833. A prominent local attorney, he was adjutant of the 17th Ill. Militia and a delegate to both state constitutional conventions as a Whig Party member. He authored . . . — Map (db m128770) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pleasant Hill — Site of First Building in Pleasant Hill
Site of the first building in Pleasant Hill. Erected 1836 by Jacob Turnbaugh, first resident. — Map (db m128626) HM
Illinois (Stephenson County), Cedarville — Cedarville
Birthplace of Jane Addams 1860 - 1935 Humanitarian, Feminist, Social Worker, Reformer, Educator, Author, Publicist, Founder of Hull House, Pioneer, Settlement Center Chicago, 1889. President Women's International League for . . . — Map (db m128729) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — Otto U. King, D.D.S., F.A.C.D.
Side one Otto U. King, D.D.S., F.S.C.D. Dr King advocated for better dental education, preventative dentistry and free dental care for children. As member of Committee on Dentistry Council of National Defence, he mobilized dentists for . . . — Map (db m128421) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Safety Follows WisdomPortland Cement Association Safety Trophy
. . . — Map (db m128641) HM
Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — Call 911: Civil War Style

Today when we get hurt, we can call an ambulance and get whisked away to the hospital quickly. During the Civil War, they did not have the luxuries we do today. In the beginning of the war, there were not enough ambulances to carry all the . . . — Map (db m128668) HM

Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — Fort Gardens

"A profusion of vegetables - beets, carrots, onions, potatoes, beans, turnips, and tomatoes - were harvested from (fort) garden plots." 'Broadax & Bayonet,' Francis Paul Prucha

General order - "To promote . . . — Map (db m128650) HM

Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — Fort ScottFrom military outpost to thriving city

Fort Scott tells America's story during a critical time in its growth. When the fort was established, most of the nation's population lived east of the Mississippi. However, soon soldiers from Fort Scott would be part of westward . . . — Map (db m128757) HM

Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — Gordon ParksPhotographer, film maker, writer, composer

Gordon Parks was born on November 20, 1912 in Fort Scott, Kansas to Sarah and Andrew Jackson Parks. Gordon wrote, "Poppa was a dirt farmer who farmed mostly dirt, but he kept us alive and taught us about love and devotion." The youngest of 15 . . . — Map (db m128781) HM

Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — Sutler Store

"Every military post shall have one Sutler, to be appointed by the Secretary of War." General Regulations for the Army of the United States, 1841

About 100 yards in front of you an engraved stone marks the location . . . — Map (db m128685) HM

Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — The Sites and People of Fort ScottA rich and inviting visit

Downtown Fort Scott

Historic downtown Fort Scott has roots in a time when it was the last stop before the frontier. Initially comprised of former fort buildings, it soon transformed into a lively downtown commercial district. New . . . — Map (db m128766) HM

Kansas (Neosho County), Chanute — Safety Follows WisdomPortland Cement Association Safety Trophy

Awarded Ash Grove Lime & Portland Cement Company Chanute, Kansas Plant for a Perfect Safety Record in 1931 Reawarded for a Perfect Safety Record in 1933 · 1934 · 1936 · 1937 · 1939 · 1941 · 1943 1947 · 1948 · 1952 · 1953 · 1954 · . . . — Map (db m128642) HM

Kentucky (Madison County), Richmond — Barnett Burial Ground
The Cemetery This cemetery hold the remains of some of the Barnett family, who settled this land sometime before 1804, and their servants. While most of these markers are inscribed, there are also at least three unidentified field-stone . . . — Map (db m128812) HM
Kentucky (Madison County), Richmond — The Union Trail
The Union Trail interprets Phase I of the Battle of Richmond from the Union perspective. Pleasant View and this property were between the lines - Union troops and artillery were one-half mile north, near Mt. Zion church. Confederate troops and . . . — Map (db m128811) HM
Kentucky (Monroe County), Flippin — Daniel Boone Was Here
South of "Old Pikeville Rd" and Thomas Flippin's land was a military grant of 1,800 acres awarded to Virginia Navy Captain Thomas Lilly for his service in the American Revolutionary War, assigned to Charles Copland (1,442 acres) and William Croghan . . . — Map (db m128782) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Alabama-Arkansas Redoubt
"Owing to the ruggedness of the ground and felled timbers, the enemy could not preserve their lines intact and soon became a conglomerate mass. We waited their approach in silence. When within forty yards we were commanded to fire. A blaze of . . . — Map (db m128569) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Bennett's House and Battery
"Two pieces of siege artillery were removed during Tuesday (May 26 1863) night from the heavy batteries on the river and mounted on this line---one rifled 24 pounder, under command of Lieutenant Sanford, Company A, First regiment Alabama . . . — Map (db m128532) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Commissary Hill
"During the fierce assault on May 27 on our whole left wing, Commissary Hill was an essential object of attack. Here we had a four gun battery, and behind it were our commissary stores, arsenal and old ginhouse containing the little grist mills . . . — Map (db m128494) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Field Artillery Limber
Field artillery cannon, like 6-pounder guns and 20-pounder Parrotts, were towed from location to location by two wheeled carriages called limbers. Teams of six or four horses, grouped in pairs, were harnessed to the limbers, and the left side . . . — Map (db m128509) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Fort Babcock
"A desperate charge carried a small force of men through this road to a very advance position which they successfully held, in one of these gullies. Luckily we got into a fine place and were able to hold our own, though I was in mortal fear . . . — Map (db m128868) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Lower Commissary Hill Battery
"Nearly all the pieces stationed upon the Commissary Hill, to guard the approaches to the mill between the left wing and the center, were either dismounted or other wise disabled. Against this point, the enemy had established two batteries of . . . — Map (db m128495) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Major Bennett's Lunette
"Another (solid shot) struck a tree about thirty feet from the ground, cutting it completely off at a point eight inches in diameter the top as it fell killing one horse and crushing a caisson of the First Maine Battery, a little in front of the . . . — Map (db m128531) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Slaughter Pen
"About the middle of the siege, the enemy attempted to make a sneak through our lines in the night. A picked command was formed, possibly a thousand men. They selected the slaughter pen route. This pen stood on a high bluff, deep ravines from . . . — Map (db m128492) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — Steedman Headquarters
"Colonel Steedman having been put in command of the left wing, composed of the First Alabama, 15th Arkansas and 10th Arkansas, a detachment of Wingfield's battalion and 39th Mississippi regiment. Colonel Steedman, during the siege, won the . . . — Map (db m128533) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Port Hudson — U.S. Army 20-Pounder Parrott RifleModel 1861
Robert Parker Parrott, a former U.S. army officer, invented a series of rifled, reinforced-breech, iron cannon. The cannon were manufactured at the West Point Foundry in Cold Springs, New York, and were made in different calibers: 10-pounder . . . — Map (db m128869) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Kraemer — Bayou Boeuf Elementary School
On March 27th, 2004, the Bayou Boeuf Elementary "Little Red School House” celebrated its 100th year of service and was named the "Denise C. Borne Memorial School House” in honor of Mrs. Borne's lifelong commitment to public . . . — Map (db m128903) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Bayou Sara Depot1888
Last Vestige of both town and railroad. — Map (db m128901) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Captain Bennett Landing
Captain Philip Morris Bennett, Sr. (Ferry pilot from 1930-1965) Ferries were a means of transporting vehicles across the Mississippi River between St. Francisville and New Roads from 1930 thru 2012. In the beginning it was the privately . . . — Map (db m128899) HM

380 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 180
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.