Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

470 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 270
 
<i>La tour - La "light" / The tower - The light</i> Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
La tour - La "light" / The tower - The light Marker
Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — La tour - La "light" / The tower - The light

La tour Vers le milieu du 19e siècle, on érigea dix phares majeurs dans le secteur des Grands Lacs et du nord du golfe Saint-Laurent, tous selon des méthodes de construction assez similaires. Ces phares furent nommés « . . . — Map (db m129860) HM

Quebec (La Côte-de-Gaspé MRC), Cap-des-Rosiers — Passer le cap / Keeping on course

Cap-des-Rosiers : Selon plusieurs, c'est à Champlain que l'on doit le nom de notre village. Il l'aurait nommé ainsi, en 1632, en raison de l'abondance des rosiers sauvages qui recouvraient la falaise...

Or, malgré cette appellation . . . — Map (db m129854) HM

Quebec (Le Rocher-Percé MRC), Grande-Rivière — Commémoration de la fondation de Grande-RivièreCommemoration of the Founding of Grande-Rivière — 1861 - 2011

Reconnaissante, la population de la Ville de Grande-Rivière rend hommage à tous ses pionniers dont le courage et la volonté ont conduit, en 1697, à l'établissement d'une seigneurie octroyée à Jacques Cochu, devenue un village . . . — Map (db m129934) HM

Quebec (Le Rocher-Percé MRC), Grande-Rivière — Vétérans et membres des Forces armées canadiennesVeterans and Canadian Armed Forces members

[Tableau d'honneur d'anciens combattants de la Première Guerre mondiale en Afghanistan]

Chez-nous il existe une rue des ancêtres Où des mémoires suspendues à un siècle de souvenances Racontent l'existence de gens qui . . . — Map (db m129940) WM

Quebec (Le Rocher-Percé MRC), Grande-Rivière — War Memorial

Notre devoir de mémoire

1916

Monsieur Pierre Lelièvre décédé à 21 ans, le 15 septembre 1916, à Vimy (France)

Monsieur William Dubé décédé à 32 ans, le 30 septembre 1916, à Courcelette . . . — Map (db m129937) WM

Quebec (Le Rocher-Percé MRC), Percé — 5 — Artistes

[De face]

Images

La première image connue de Percé vient d'un cartographe français du XVIIe siècle. Il faut attendre près d'une siècle pour voir apparaître, vers 1760, une gravure de Hervey Smyth, artiste . . . — Map (db m129863) HM

Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Jamaica's Independence and Royal Visit
This tablet commemorates Jamaica’s achievement of independence on the 6th of August, 1962, and the visit of Her Royal Highness The Princess Margaret Countess of Snowdon and The Earl of Snowdon to Montego Bay on the 8th of August, 1962. — Map (db m129887) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Montego Bay Civic Centre
Montego Bay Civic Centre The Montego Bay Civic Centre was redeveloped by the Urban Development Corporation (UDC) for the St. James Parish Council, from the ruins of the old burnt-out courthouse built in 1804 The UDC carried out this project . . . — Map (db m129885) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Rose Hall Great House
National Monument Jamaica National Trust Commision — Map (db m129958) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — Sam Sharpe
Sam Sharpe was enslaved on both the Croydon Plantation and at a property in Montego Bay in St. James. He was owned by Samuel Sharpe, Esquire, Attorney. He was a man of exceptional intelligence and a Baptist lay preacher. He believed all men were . . . — Map (db m129853) HM
Jamaica, Cornwall (Saint James), Montego Bay — The Cage
The Cage The cage dates back to 1806. A belfry was built in 1811. In about 1823 this was replaced with todays building of bricks and mortar. The Cage was used as an overnight lockup for vagrants, drunks, runaways and plantation slaves . . . — Map (db m129717) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Sugar in Jamaica
Sugar Sugar was introduced to the New World by Columbus on his 2nd voyage. In 1493, he took canes from Gomera in the Canaries to Hispaniola. It is recorded that Francisco Garay, Spanish Governor in 1527, built a mill and made good sugar. The . . . — Map (db m129957) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Ocho Rios — Ocho Rios Fort
Ocho Rios Fort The Ocho Rios Fort is one of the oldest buildings in Ocho It was originally built in the 17th century and was strengethned in 1780 when Jamaica was experiencing an attack from French forces. Its unique location allows . . . — Map (db m129718) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (St. Andrew), Industry Village — The Grand Barbecue at Cold Spring Estate
Grand Barbecue This is the largest of the four barbecues used to dry coffee from 1776. Stone walls were built in the 18th century by slaves. — Map (db m129932) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (St. Andrew), Kingston — Bob Marley
The Honourable Robert Nesta Marley O.M. (1945-1981) Born on February 6, 1945, in Rhoden Hall, Nine Miles, St. Ann, Robert Nesta Marley took Reggae music and its message into the hearts of millions worldwide. His voice represented the . . . — Map (db m129890) HM
Jamaica, Surrey (St. Andrew), Kingston — Rita Marley
Rita Marley O.D. (Nama Afua Addobea 1) Founder of The Bob Marley Museum Internationally, the name Marley has become synonymous with reggae music and the culture of Jamaica. The talented young Rita Anderson, who was raised from childhood in . . . — Map (db m129929) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — Del Carmen Square
La Plaza del Carmen El nombre popular como Plazuela del Carmen, deriva de su relación con el ex convento de la orden de las carmelitas descalzas, al cual se encuentra anexa. De manera oficial está registrada como jardín República, . . . — Map (db m129804) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — Dr. Ignacio Chávez
Dr. Ignacio Chavez 1897 a 1979 Rector de la Universidad Michoacana de San Nicolas Hidalgo y de la Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico. Fundador y Director del Instituto Nacional de Cardiologia de Mexico. Dr. Honoris Causa de 20 . . . — Map (db m129724) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — El Colegio Primitivo y Nacional de San Nicolás de Hidalgo
Colegio Primitivo y Nacional de San Nicolas de Hidalgo La Universidad Michoacana rinde homenaje al ilustre varon Lic. Don Vasco de Quiroga en el IV centenario de la fundación de esta casa de estudios. 1540. 1940. English . . . — Map (db m129637) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — Former 'Los Juaninos' Chapel
Ex Capilla de los Juaninos La construcción de esta capilla es contemporánea del hospital de San Juan de Dios (actualmente el Hotel los Juaninos), de cuyo conjunto formó parte. Al edificarse el hospital, el obispo Juan Ortega y . . . — Map (db m129562) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — General Santos Degollado
Gral. Santos Degollado Gobernador de Michoacan: 1857 - 1858 Se levanto en armas en contra de la dictadura santannista. Diputado al Congreso Constituyente: 1856-1857 Murio combatiendo por la Constitucion y las Leyes de Reforma . . . — Map (db m129803) HM WM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — House of José Mariano y Nicolás Michelena
En esta casa vivieron los hermanos José Mariano y Nicolás Michelena. Participantes de la Conspiración de Valladolid, disuelta el 21 de diciembre del año de 1809. Diciembre 21 de 2009 Honorable Ayuntamiento de Morelia 2008-2011 . . . — Map (db m129564) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — José Rubén Romero Theater
Teatro José Rubén Romero (Capilla Doméstica Jesuita) Este inmueble funcionó como casa de ejercicios y capilla doméstica de los jesuitas hasta 1767, fecha en que la Compañía de Jesús fue expulsada de la entonces Nueva España. En 1824 . . . — Map (db m129802) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — Mariano Matamoros
Por haber defendido la yndependencia de Méjico, fue fusilado en este lugar el dia 3 de febrero de 1814, por orden del gobierno español, el benemérito ciudadano Mariano Matamoros La Junta Patriótica de 1860 Al benemérito insurgente . . . — Map (db m129630) HM WM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — Plaza de la República
Plaza de la Republica Para rendir homenaje a dos ilustres mexicanos el gobierno de Michoacan erigio las estatuas de los Generales Republicanos Epitacio Huerta y Santos Degollado. Las descubrió el C. Lic. Adolfo Lopez Mateos . . . — Map (db m129842) HM WM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — The Garden of the Roses
Jardín de las Rosas El nombre oficial de este jardín se le otorga en honor al profesor de San Nicolás de Hidalgo, Luis González Gutiérrez, mientras que el nombre popular como Jardín de las Rosas, lo recibe del conjunto educativo . . . — Map (db m129725) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — The Matamoros Portal
20. - Portal Matamoros (Ecce homo) El origen de los portales se remonta al seguimiento que los constructores del Siglo XVI dieron a las recomendaciones expresadas en Las Ordenanzas expedidas por Felipe II con respecto al trazado de . . . — Map (db m129633) HM
Mexico, Michoacán (Municipality of Morelia), Morelia — The San José Garden
Jardín de San José El jardín en desnivel al frente del templo de San José es un ejemplo del desarrollo arquitectónico de la zona, influenciado por los estatus políticos y sociales registrados en el siglo XIX; del-México independiente. . . . — Map (db m129843) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Ditchling — Ditchling War Memorial
Remember Francis Attree · Charles A. Blake · George Brown · Edwd. Cherriman · Sidney Elsworth · William Green · Thos. Harbour · Geo. Harbour · Geo. Harwood · Robert Horney · Fred Leaney · John Mears · Alfred Mears · Fredk. Merritt · Charles Pratt · . . . — Map (db m129611) WM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Albion Russell
Albion Russell (1821 – 1888) opened a boot and shoe shop here in 1861. In 1873 he was joined by George Bromley which led to the founding of today’s Russell and Bromley. — Map (db m129653) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Anchor
Anchor This iron anchor was caught in the net of a Newhaven trawler that was fishing about two miles offshore in October 1932. It is probably about 300 years old. — Map (db m129662) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Barbican Gate
Barbican Gate Early 14th century, free standing outer defence gate protecting the main (Norman) gateway beyond. Two guard towers above, and roof fighting platform. 1083 — Map (db m129647) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Battle of Lewes 1264
Battle of Lewes 1264 On 14th May 1264 Simon de Montfort’s army of 5000 barons and Londeners defeated royalist forces of twice that size under Henry III on the downs northwest of Lewes. The Mise of Lewes, signed next day led to the first English . . . — Map (db m129644) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Battle of Lewes 14th May 1264
Battle of Lewes 14th May 1264 Led by Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, and Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Gloucester, the rebel army, with Londoners on the left flank, occupied the high ground. Henry III and his brother Richard, King of the Romans, . . . — Map (db m129646) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Borough of Lewes
. . . — Map (db m129781) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Brack Mount
Brack Mount Brack Mount is the oldest part of Lewes Castle. William de Warenne built a motte and bailey castle here in the late 11th century. He started with a mound overlooking the River Ouse and made it higher, using chalk blocks. When the . . . — Map (db m129688) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Bull House Westgate
Bull House Westgate In ancient times the Bull Inn within the Westgate was held of the Barony of Lewes at the yearly rent of a race of ginger. It was sold in 1583 by Thomas Matthew to Sir Henry Goring who built the house which is now the Westgate . . . — Map (db m129783) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — County Hall
County Hall 1812 Built to replace the old Town Hall and Sessions House which stood in the middle of High Street. Demolished in 1810. 1981 — Map (db m129823) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Dr. Gideon A. Mantell
Dr. Gideon A. Mantell F.R.S. Surgeon and Geologist Born in Lewes 1790. Died in London 1852 Lived Here He discovered the fossil bones of the Prehistoric Iguanodon in the Sussex Weald — Map (db m129822) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Fireplace
Fireplace From the Great Hall Excavations suggest that the hall was rebuilt in the 13th century, up against the wall of the Shell Keep. This large fireplace would have helped to heat the room. The fireplace is backed with re-used tiles . . . — Map (db m129690) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Lewes Market Tower
Lewes Market Tower 1792 Erected to house the Old Town Clock and 16th century Bell Gabriel taken from St. Nicholas Church demolished 1761. From 1881 to 1893 it served as Town Hall. 1981 — Map (db m129649) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Lewes Prison
A new, larger prison was needed in Lewes in the mid-19th century and opened in 1853. The Prison is now old but still houses over 500 prisoners. Mick Jagger, of the pop group The Rolling Stones was one of its most famous residents. In 1967 he . . . — Map (db m129708) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Lewes Racecourse
Lewes Racecourse was open by 1712. The first grandstand was built in the 1770s. Lewes races were very fashionable. In 1806 two horses, Pancho and Pavilion, raced for a prize of over £2000. The Prince Regent and 3000 people watched the race. The . . . — Map (db m129714) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Lewes War Memorial
In Memory Of The Men of Lewes Who Died For Their Country And for Mankind In the Great War 1914 — 1918 Likewise Remember Those Of This Town Who Gave Their Lives In The War 1939 — 1945 Names of the . . . — Map (db m129651) WM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Loyal Feeling for Queen Victoria
This Tablet Is Erected to Record the Loyal Feeling of The Inhabitants of the Borough of Lewes as expressed at the Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Reign of Her Majesty Queen Victoria And their Gratitude for the Great . . . — Map (db m129650) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Mount Caburn
There was an Iron Age hillfort on Mount Caburn about 1000 years before Lewes Castle was built. The hillfort dominated the valley of the River Ouse from the east. Lewes Castle was built to control the valley from the west. — Map (db m129711) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Protestant Martyrs
In the 1550s, during the reign of the Catholic Queen, Mary, 17 Protestants were burned to death in Lewes. They died in front of the Star Inn, now the Town Hall, in the High Street. This Obelisk was built in 1889 as a memorial to the martyrs. It . . . — Map (db m129712) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Protestant Martyrs Prison
In the vaults beneath this building were imprisoned ten of the seventeen Protestant martyrs who were burned at the stake within a few yards of this site 1555 – 1557 Their names are recorded on the memorial to be seen on . . . — Map (db m129652) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Russian Cannon
Russian Cannon This cannon is a trophy from the Crimean War and was never used by soldiers in this castle. Britain, France and Turkey fought against Russia in the Crimean War from 1854-6. After the Siege of Bomarsund in Finland (then part of . . . — Map (db m129663) HM WM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Southover Grange
Southover was one of the earliest suburbs of Lewes. The Priory was built here on low land between the River Ouse and the Winterbourne stream. King Henry VIII ordered the Priory to be destroyed in 1537-8. Some of the Caen Stone from the Priory . . . — Map (db m129710) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — St Michael’s Church
St Michael’s Church is one of the oldest in Lewes. It was built just inside the West Gate of the town. The oldest surviving part of the church is the round tower, which may have been built in the 12th century. There are only three round church . . . — Map (db m129709) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Stocks
Stocks Minor criminals used to be punished by being put in the stocks. They sat on the bench with their legs held straight in front of them by the wooden beam, which was locked in place. Sitting in this position soon became very uncomfortable. . . . — Map (db m129664) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — The Battle of Lewes, 1264
The Battle of Lewes, 1264 A violent clash between the barons and the King Standing here on 14th May 1264 you would have witnessed one of the most important battles between rebel barons and King Henry III. The King had a reputation for . . . — Map (db m129689) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — The Curtain Wall and Castle Moat
The Curtain Wall and Castle Moat The Curtain Wall stretched out to either side of the Norman Gatehouse. To one side it went across to the second motte and up to the Shell Keep. On the other side the wall and dry moat went along the line of . . . — Map (db m129665) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — The Norman Gatehouse and the Barbican
The Norman Gatehouse and the Barbican The Norman Gatehouse The Norman Gatehouse was probably square, but only one wall is left. From the Gatehouse, part of the Curtain Wall, which enclosed the Castle, went up to the top of the motte. The . . . — Map (db m129687) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — The Shell Keep and Angled Towers
The Shell Keep and Angled Towers The second motte towers 20 metres above the High Street. It was built around 1100 and topped with a shell keep. This was basically a wall around the top of the motte. The most secure and important buildings, where . . . — Map (db m129666) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — The Wealds
The Weald is an area surrounded by chalk hills called the North and South Downs. Lewes is on the South Downs. In the distance you can see the sandstone ridge of the High weald. Closer to Lewes is the Low Weald. For many years the Weald was . . . — Map (db m129713) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — Thomas Paine House
1768 — 1774. In this house lived Thomas Paine, Writer and Revolutionary. ( the marker text is inscribed along the bottom of the upper storey )Map (db m129782) HM
United Kingdom, England (East Sussex), Lewes — What Happened Where?
What Happened Where? The de Warenne family lived inside the safest part of the Castle, the Shell Keep. Most of the Castle's occupants lived and worked in the Bailey. This was a large, roughly oval area between the two mottes and inside the . . . — Map (db m129694) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Canterbury — Christopher Marlowe
Christopher Marlowe Born in Canterbury 1564 Died at Deptford 1593 The statuette above represents Sir Henry Irving Tamburlaine The statuette above represents Sir Johnston Forbes Robertson Dr. Faustus The statuette above . . . — Map (db m129600) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Canterbury — Dr. Frank Wagher Fountain
. . . — Map (db m129602) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Canterbury — Royal East Kent Imperial Yeomanry Boer War Memorial
To the glorious memory and in grateful remembrance of the devoted & heroic services of the officers, non-comd officers and men of The Buffs — East Kent Regiment and of the Imperial Yeomanry of East Kent Who gave their lives in . . . — Map (db m129601) WM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Canterbury — The Simmons Memorial
This field and hill were improved, and these terraces, walks and plantations, made in the year 1790, for the use of the public, at the sole expense of James Simmons, Esq of this city, alderman and banker, to perpetuate the memory of which generous . . . — Map (db m129603) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Canterbury — Wincheap Gate
In 1548 Worth Gate was blocked and a new street (Castle Row and Worthgate Place) was formed to by-pass the castle. This new road which went round the bailey wall and ditch on the east had a new opening, Wincheap Gate, created for it in the city . . . — Map (db m129606) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent), Lamberhurst — Lamberhurst War Memorial
In Grateful Memory — of — The 47 Men of Lamberhurst Who Loving Honour Above Ease Died for Their Country In the Great War 1914 - 1918. And the Second World War 1939 - 1945 W.W.1. Bailey Alban · Bailey Carl · Bartholomew . . . — Map (db m129607) HM
United Kingdom, England (London Borough of Croydon), Coulsdon — Chalk Grassland
Chalk Grassland Chalk grassland is a unique habitat found on thin soils over chalk rocks. It was originally created mainly by the clearance of trees and bushes, a process that started around 6,000 years ago, and kept open by grazing livestock. . . . — Map (db m129829) HM
United Kingdom, England (London Borough of Croydon), Coulsdon — Early History
Early History Evidence dating from the Neolithic period tells us that people have lived and worked on Farthing Downs for over 6,000 years. The Neolithic and Bronze Age people who first settled on Farthing Downs started to clear trees to . . . — Map (db m129830) HM
United Kingdom, England (London Borough of Croydon), Coulsdon — Open Spaces
Open Spaces Farthing Downs Farthing Downs is owned and managed by City of London Corporation. Along with the three other Coulsdon Commons (Coulsdon Common, Kenley Common and Riddlesdown) it was acquired by the City to protect it for the . . . — Map (db m129828) HM
United Kingdom, England (London Borough of Croydon), Coulsdon — Recent History
Recent History ‘Farthing Downs — it is as though we walk along the smooth, rounded back of a huge animal, in mutual isolation from humankind. Written by Helen Corke. This beautiful observation was made by Helen . . . — Map (db m129831) HM
United Kingdom, England (London Borough of Croydon), Coulsdon — The City of London
The City of London Farthing Downs has been owned and managed by the City of London Corporation since 1883, The City of London Corporation provides local government services for the financial and commercial heart of Britain — the . . . — Map (db m129827) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey), Newdigate — Newdigate War Memorial
( inscribed around the edge ) To the Glory of God and in Grateful Memory of our Gallant Newdigate Men who fell in the Great War, 1914 to 1919   1939 to 1945 ( World War I ) George Ackland · William Beadle · Wilfred S. . . . — Map (db m129826) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Sussex), Hassocks — Keymer and Clayton War Memorial
To the Glory of God And to the Memory of the Men of This Parish Who Gave Their Lives For Their Country In the Great War 1914 – 1919. J.B. Howard, Capt.   R. Welsh Fusiliers · G.A. Manning, Lt. M.C.   R.E. · J.F. Munster, Lt.   13th . . . — Map (db m129609) WM
United Kingdom, England (West Sussex), Horsham — Chennelsbrook Castle
Chennelsbrook Castle An Early Norman Castle Site near Horsham a 900 year old fortified hunting lodge Castle You are standing near a 900 year old castle. Today it is just bumps in the ground. Back then it was the home for the Lords who . . . — Map (db m129824) HM
United Kingdom, England (West Sussex), Rusper — Rusper War Memorial
In Thankful Remembrance of the Men of this Parish Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914 — 1919 Cpl. H. Adams · Pte. E. Brooker · Capt. E.D.S. Casswell · Pte. C. Cooks · Capt. G. Dowling · Pte. H. Huggett · Cpl. C. Holcomb · . . . — Map (db m129825) WM
Alabama (Autagua County), Prattville — Prattville Dragoons
On this memorial are engraved the names of the 100 original officers and men of the Prattville Dragoons. Their dedication to their families, their homes and their county is remembered and honored by their descendants. Officers Jessie . . . — Map (db m129581) WM
Alabama (Chilton County), Stanton — Memorial to Union Dead at Battle of Ebenezer Church
Memorial to Union Soldiers Lost at the Battle of Old Ebenezer Church April 1, 1865 — Map (db m129770) WM
Arkansas (Logan County), Paris — Eiffel Tower ParkParis, Arkansas
Eiffel Tower Park was established in 2014 on the West side of the Paris town square. The Eiffel Tower was a gift to the city by a former resident and pastor, Don Eubanks. A 7 foot water feature with fountain was added to the 18 foot tower to . . . — Map (db m129685) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — A Gathering Place — USC — University of Southern California
His given name is the Trojan Shrine, but he is best-known by his nickname: Tommy Trojan. Probably the most popular and recognizable member of the Trojan Family, he is a physical and symbolic rallying point for the entire university. Tommy . . . — Map (db m129746) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Cahuenga Pass TreasureAt The Hollywood Bowl
Treasure hunters believe there is 20th-century loot hidden at the Bowl. Many have searched, but the treasure is still a mystery. The legend of the Cahuenga Pass treasure begins in 1864 when, under Napoleon's rule, France invaded Mexico and . . . — Map (db m129805) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Charlie Chaplin’s The KidReminiscing
The heart-tugging reunion in The Kid [1921] played between Charlie Chaplin’s Little Tramp and his “adopted” son [Jackie Coogan] remains one of the most emotionally charged scenes in all of film history. Remarkably, the setting for this . . . — Map (db m129617) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Meeting of the USC Board of Trustees — USC — University of Southern California
The Board of Trustees of the University of Southern California met for the first time on September 3, 1880, culminating years of efforts by leaders of the Methodist Episcopal Conference of Southern California. The Board accepted the gift of this . . . — Map (db m129945) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — Power Plant No. 1First Los Angeles Aqueduct
Some sections of the original Los Angeles Aqueduct, completed 1913, are still in use. During six years, 100,000 laborers built the 233-mile-long series of canals, pipelines and tunnels that make up the gravity-flow aqueduct from Owens Valley. — Map (db m129858) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — Adobe Flores
Headquarters of General Jose Maria Flores before the capitulation to General John C. Fremont, January 13, 1847, at Cahuenga. — Map (db m129774) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Lest We Forget1971 Sylmar Earthquake
This tablet presented February 9, 1979, to the Veterans Memorial Park, in loving memory of the many veterans, nurses, and aids of the San Fernando Valley Veterans Hospital, whose lives were lost during the earthquake of February 9, 1971. — Map (db m129731) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — 63 — McGroarty Home
Honoring John Steven McGroarty, Poet Laureate of California, 1933-1944. Author of The Mission Play. — Map (db m129775) HM
California (Nevada County), Norden — 16 — Clair Tappaan LodgeHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History Clair Tappaan Lodge was hand-built by a hearty group of Sierra Club volunteers in 1934 as a retreat for hikers, skiers and mountain climbers. This rustic building, consisting of post and beam construction, was designed by Walter . . . — Map (db m129660) HM
California (Nevada County), Norden — 15 — Hutchinson LodgeHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History Lincoln and James Hutchinson, for whom Hutchinson Lodge is named, were born in the late 1860's in San Francisco of pioneer parents. Both were educated at University of California Berkeley and Harvard. James was a charter member of the . . . — Map (db m129658) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — 7 — Donner Summit LodgeHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History At one time there were many lodges and inns along Highway 40. Today one can drive from the Bay Area to Donner Summit in a couple of hours but when Highway 40 was the only route it was two lanes and went through every downtown on the . . . — Map (db m129580) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — Dutch Flat Donner Lake Wagon RoadHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History Only 17 hours from Sacramento to Virginia City. "Safety and comfort can't be beat." "By far the best road constructed across the mountains." "Half the maximum grade" of other roads. "Constructed in the best in the best possible . . . — Map (db m129648) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — 12 — Emigrant Wagon RouteHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History After the emigrants had successfully negotiated Donner Pass, they rested in Summit Valley (Van Norden now). They grazed the stock, drank their fill of the pure water and rested. The trip had been exhausting and dangerous but now . . . — Map (db m129583) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — Ice LakesHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History Before 1850 you drank your root beer or sarsaparilla warm in California. Then ice began to be imported from Alaska. No one realized there was a closer supply in the Sierra. Ice Lakes got its name from the ice industry that arrived . . . — Map (db m129593) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — Lake Van Norden DamHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History There has been a dam at the end of Summit Valley since the 1870's as you can see if you look closely at the top photograph here. To the left of the dam you can also see the buildings that used to be the "downtown" Soda Springs where . . . — Map (db m129582) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — Royal Gorge HistoryA Brief and Recent History of Royal Gorge
America's Largest Nordic Ski Resort Opens When Royal Gorge opened in the 70's, Nordic skiing in the U.S. was in its infancy. Since then, the sport has grown to near European popularity and Royal Gorge became renowned the world over, boasting . . . — Map (db m129654) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — Summit Valley Native American MortarsHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History For thousands of years Native Americans from what is now Nevada called Summit Valley their summer home. They came to hunt, fish, gather food, and trade with Native Americans from what is now California. We can see evidence of their . . . — Map (db m129595) HM
California (Nevada County), Soda Springs — Summit Valley Sheep PensHwy 40 Scenic Bypass
History "The sound of the bells when it was quiet (no trains), was magical to hear." The tinkle of bells on the lead sheep was once a common sound in Summit Valley late in the summer and fall. Lake Van Norden filled with water with . . . — Map (db m129645) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — A Family Heads West
The Donner family and their hired teamsters left Springfield, Illinois in April, 1846. At Independence, Missouri, their wagons joined hundreds of others traveling west on the Oregon-California Trail. The New Captain Takes a Shortcut . . . — Map (db m129925) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — 30 — China Wall
History Things to do right here "They were a great army laying siege to Nature in her strongest citadel." -- Beyond the Mississippi, 1869. They worked sunrise to sunset, six days a week, 52 weeks a year. Had it not been for the . . . — Map (db m129733) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Donner Camp Tree
Near this spot stood the tree which marked what was believed to be the campsite of the family of George Donner in the winter of 1846. The tree stood for 150 years (missing) the Donner families camped in Alder Creek before it succumbed to Mother . . . — Map (db m129928) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Donner Lake West End
History The Donner Lake area is not only an exciting place to live and adventure, but also has lots of interesting history. The story of the Donner Party crossing over this amazing and majestic mountain range (1847) has spread through the . . . — Map (db m129736) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Hobart Mills
This Monument Marks the Townsite of Hobart Mills California A logging and lumber enterprise of sixty-six years life in the Sierra Nevada Mountains It Commemorates and Honors its Founder Walter Scott Hobart 1839 - 1892 . . . — Map (db m129935) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Hobart Mills
Walter Scott Hobart's Sierra Nevada Wood & Lumber Company moved machinery, buildings and railroad equipment here from Lake Tahoe in 1896. The town and business flourished for 40 years. Ceasing operations in 1936. Fiberboard Corporation operated a . . . — Map (db m129936) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Shelter From the Storm
With threatening weather overhead, the Donners quickly set up camp. Crowded into inadequate shelters, these desperate people watched it snow. As the snow got deeper, it wiped out all hope of leaving before spring. People (age) at . . . — Map (db m129927) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — The Nightmare Begins
They were the first to take wagons through the new Hastings Cutoff. Although shorter, it was a difficult detour through rugged mountains and arid deserts. The emigrants lost valuable time, oxen, and supplies. One person was banished. Five people . . . — Map (db m129926) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — Westward Ho!
The pioneers began their trek across the continent with expectations of a new life. In sparsely populated California they could have land with fertile soil and a pleasant climate. They heard about the wonders of California through letters sent . . . — Map (db m129946) HM
California (Nevada County), Truckee — What Made Her Do It?First Woman to Swim Donner Lake
History Today each August hundreds of swimmers take to the 65º water of Donner Lake and swim its 2.7 mile long length. Each swimmer has lots of company. On August 19 (sic, 18), 1935 though, it was a different story. On that day 17 year . . . — Map (db m129739) HM
California (New York County), Norden — 25 — Donner Pass Airway Station & Beacon
History The first wagon trains, the first transcontinental railroad, and the first transcontinental highway crossed Donner Summit. So did the first transcontinental airway. When airplanes were new, pilots flew by the "seat of their pants" . . . — Map (db m129730) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Lincoln Highway
This monument was erected in recognition of the historical significance of this transportation corridor by the Placer County Water Agency and dedicated to the California Chapter of the Lincoln Highway Association. Ophir Road was formerly U.S. 40 . . . — Map (db m129960) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Wise Power Plant
History At one time canals laced the Sierra foothills and the mountains above. Many still exist as do the reservoirs the canals linked. Originally the canals were used to funnel water to hydraulic and pacer mining. The system was well in . . . — Map (db m129768) HM
California (Riverside County), Pine Cove — 26 — Speed-of-Light Experiment
From this location instruments reflected light in 1926 to Mount Wilson, 82 miles northwest. The work was one of a series of experiments conducted by Nobel Prize-winning scientist Dr. Albert A Michelson to refine the value of the speed of light. . . . — Map (db m129941) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Goodrich Quarry
On the hillside north of this plaque, only the scars remain to mark the spot where brown stone was quarried for San Jose Hall of Justice, Post Office, St. Mary’s Church, original buildings of Stanford University, and Carson City Mint. This small . . . — Map (db m129576) HM
California (Solano County), Birds Landing — Birds Landing - Benjamin’s Store
In 1869 John Bird constructed a wharf and warehouse on Montezuma Slough. Soon, one mile east of the wharf, a community began to evolve. A blacksmith shop came first, and then the store was built in 1875. In this year the town was officially named . . . — Map (db m129569) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — 8 — Camarillo Ranch HouseBuilt in 1892
This grand three-story, 15-room home was built by Adolfo Camarillo in the Queen Ann Victorian style, using the plans of architects Herman Anlauf and Franklin Ward. The home features seven bedrooms, a grand staircase, a tower bay, a walk-in wooden . . . — Map (db m129517) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 32 — Bank of Hueneme
Constructed in 1925, this building served as the Bank of Hueneme until 1950. Myron Hunt, architect. — Map (db m129519) HM
California (Ventura County), Somis — 133 — The Somis School
The Somis School building is located on the former site of the Somis Methodist Church. It was built in 1924 to replace the older school building which became the Somis Thursday Clubhouse. Originally the school had only three classrooms. . . . — Map (db m129524) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Automobiles Come to Grand Lake
Automobiles Come to Grand Lake (panel 1) The number of automobiles had become so large that in 1913 the State of Colorado began issuing its first license plates. The 1915 dedication of Rocky Mountain National Park drew 2000 people, . . . — Map (db m129881) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Cairns-Humphrey Store
In 1881 James Cairns built his first store here to serve the miners. In 1908 he replaced it with a better building, purchased by Matilda Humphrey in 1924. It survives as the central part of the Humphrey store. The small residence was Cairns interim . . . — Map (db m129850) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Grand Lake
Grand Lake was formed by glacial action, the ice gouged back into the mountains to the east. As the climate warmed, the glacier melted irregularly, leaving ridges of clay and rocks called moraines. Moraines edge the west and north shore, and are . . . — Map (db m129855) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Grand LakeElevation 8367
The largest natural lake in Colorado Formed by glaciation 30,000 years ago Long known as the headwaters of the Colorado River. It is included in the Colorado-Big Thompson Project. Water from here flows through the “Adams Tunnel” to Estes . . . — Map (db m129892) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Grand Lake LodgeBuilt 1919
Grand Lake Lodge Built 1919 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m129878) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Kauffman House Museum
Ezra Kauffman first came to the area as a hunting guide and miner in 1877. After the mines closed, he raised his family in the community he loved. He completed this hotel in 1892 and operated it until his death in 1920. The Kauffman family continued . . . — Map (db m129856) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Public Square
When the town of Grand Lake was platted in 1881, Grand Avenue was designed to be 100 feet wide. Although traffic congestion was not a problem, extra space was allowed for rodeos and horse races. The Public Square was often used for community . . . — Map (db m129840) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Rapids Lodge Historic Site
Rapids Lodge is one of three tourist hotels built between 1900 and 1920. The other two burned. Laps Ish, the owner and builder, sawed all lumber of lodgepole pine. Until about 1935 the lights and some heat for the hotel came from his own water . . . — Map (db m129852) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Smith Eslick Cottage Camp
In 1882 P.H. Smith settled in Grand Lake. He built a hotel and also operated a sawmill, carpentry shop, and a large resort. Around 1915, along with the Alfred Eslick family, he built this Motor Court, designed to accommodate both visitors and their . . . — Map (db m129857) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Bay Window Cottage
The Smith Eslick Bay Window Cottage was built by the Eslick's youngest child, Loren, in 1933 when he was 26 years old. It was intended to be a check-in and store for the guests staying at the Cottage Court and other Smith and Eslick family cabins . . . — Map (db m129884) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Smith Eslick Cottage Court
The Smith Eslick Cottage Court (panel 1)The Smith-Eslick Cottage Court is believed to be the oldest original-condition motel in the United States. Built at about the same time as the 1915 opening of Rocky Mountain National Park and the . . . — Map (db m129879) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Smith-Eslick Cottage Camp
Entrepreneur P.H. Smith brought his family to Grand County from Kansas. In 1893 he started a sawmill in Grand Lake and acquired several local properties. A skillful craftsman, P.H. Smith built many significant structures, including the Grand . . . — Map (db m129883) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Smith-Eslick Family
The Smith Eslick Family (panel 1) Entrepreneur P.H. Smith brought his family to Grand County from Kansas. In 1893 he started a sawmill in Grand Lake and acquired several local properties. A skillful craftsman, P.H. Smith built many . . . — Map (db m129880) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Why Did They Come?
It's said that Grand Lake has always had tourists. Even the original visitors, the Ute and Arapaho for example, would come in the summer to hunt and fish in the largest natural lake in Colorado, but would leave when winter approached. Then, as now, . . . — Map (db m129882) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Winter Park — Berthoud Pass
Berthoud Pass Across the Continental Divide between South Platte and Colorado River drainages Altitude 11,314 Feet Discovered by Capt. E.L. Berthoud Colorado pioneer May 12, 1861. Surveyed by Berthoud and Jim Bridger July, 1861. Toll Road . . . — Map (db m129889) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Estes Park — Gore Range
Terra Tomah Mountain • 12,718ft (3877m) Mt. Julian • 12,928ft (3940m) Mt. Cracktop • 12,760ft (3889m) Mt. Ida • 12,880ft (3926m) Baker Mountain • 12,397ft (3779m) Mt. Stratus • 12,480ft (3804m) Mt. Nimbus • . . . — Map (db m129894) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-175 — Frank Furness Railroad District
The B&O Water Street Station (1888), the Pennsylvania Railroad Office Building (1905), and the Wilmington Train Station (1907), comprise a unique campus of railroad architecture by renowned Philadelphia architect Frank Furness (1839-1912). . . . — Map (db m129553) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 8 — You are in the "Strivers' Section"Dupont Circle — Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible . . . — Map (db m129487) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — The Minuteman Memorial BuildingROA National Headquarters
The Reserve Officers Association of the United States was founded in 1922 by combat veterans of World War I at the request of their commander, General of the Armies John "Black Jack" Pershing. The Association holds a Congressional Charter to enhance . . . — Map (db m129667) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Douglass — Activist Grove (1833-1845)Douglass Community Center
Three years after he escaped enslavement, Douglass gave a brief speech at an anti-slavery meeting in New Bedford, Massachusetts. This lecture would be the beginning of a repertoire of speeches that built Frederick Douglass's reputation as one of the . . . — Map (db m129792) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Douglass — Freedom Grove (1838)Douglass Community Center
Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey arrived in New York with the aid of a free woman named Anna Murray. She followed him to New York, and eleven days after his arrival, they married. The couple continued to settle in New Bedford, Massachusetts, . . . — Map (db m129790) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Douglass — Memorial Grove (1841-1895)Douglass Community Center
From his 1841 speech at a Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society convention, until 1895 when he died suddenly at his Cedar Hill home in Washington, D.C., Frederick Douglass championed human rights. This memorial grove of scarlet oaks represent the . . . — Map (db m129791) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Embassy of the Republic of the Philippinesin Washington D.C., United States of America
This building, originally constructed on 05 January 1917, was acquired by the Commonwealth of the Philippines on 13 October 1941 and became the Office of the Resident Commissioner. Following Philippine independence in 1946, the . . . — Map (db m129558) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — William Howard Taft
In Memory of Our Beloved Brother William Howard Taft Founder of The University Club of Washington DC 27th President of the United States 10th Chief Justice of the United States Rededicated by the Grand Lodge of the Free And . . . — Map (db m129557) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Dupont Circle — 1700 Swann Street
1700 Swann Street circa 1894 Dupont Circle Historic District National Register of Historic PlacesMap (db m129561) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Potomac Boat Club
Potomac Boat Club Founded in 1869 This Boathouse built in 1908 A.B. Mullet & Co., Architect Charles J. Cassidy, Builder Listed in the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites 1973 National . . . — Map (db m129836) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Lamond Riggs — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 3
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Our Flag Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m129795) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — Administration Building, Carnegie Institution of Washington
Administration Building Carnegie Institution of Washington has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional . . . — Map (db m129560) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — The Stonesdale
The Stonesdale Built 1904 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m129559) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Palisades — Abner Cloud MillEchoes of Millstones — Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park, National Park Service
Baking bread, frying cornbead and eating "stick to your ribs" oatmeal, all have one thing in common; their ingredients started out at a grist mill. Decades before the sounds of lockhorns and mule hooves clopping by, mills were popping up along the . . . — Map (db m129837) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Palisades — Georgetown Incline PlaneChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Here, in 1876, an engineering marvel was built. The largest incline plane in the world and the first built in the United States, carried canal boats to and from the Potomac River. The incline plane was used to help clear heavy boat traffic in . . . — Map (db m129838) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Calvin T.S. Brent ResidenceAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC — 1700 V Street, NW
Calvin T.S. Brent (1854-1899), believed to be Washington's first African American architect, lived here briefly in the early 1890s. (His other residences have been demolished.) Brent began practicing in 1875 and after a two-year apprenticeship and . . . — Map (db m129528) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — Joel BarlowSheridan Kalorama — Call Box Restoration Project
Joel Barlow Reverse: Joel Barlow (1754-1812) served in the American Revolution and was a businessman, diplomat and published poet. In 1796-97 he negotiated the release of Americans held for years by the Turkish regent of Algiers. . . . — Map (db m129820) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shipley Terrace — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 5
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Louisa Adams Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m129788) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southeast Washington — Escape Allée (1838)Douglass Community Center
Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey fled enslavement in Maryland on September 3, 1838. His escape route included travel by train, ferry, and steamboat through Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New York. Each tree in Escape Allée represents one . . . — Map (db m129785) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — The Slave Trade in Washington, DC
"...in view from the windows of the Capitol, a sort of negro-livery stable, where droves of negroes were collected, temporarily kept, and finally taken to Southern markets …had been openly maintained for fifty years." Abraham Lincoln (1846) . . . — Map (db m129921) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — The Williams Slave Pen
"Underneath the roof there was a crazy loft all round, where slaves, if so disposed, might sleep at night, or in inclement weather seek shelter from the storm. It was like a farmer's barnyard in most respects, safe it was so constructed that the . . . — Map (db m129923) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-23 — St. Andrews Bay Skirmish
The U.S. bark Roebuck, commanded by John Sherrill, was sent to St. Andrews Bay to prevent blockade running. On March 20, 1863, an 11-man scouting party landed in this vicinity to secure fresh drinking water. They were attacked by Confederates . . . — Map (db m129811) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-234 — Joseph E. Lee
(side 1) Joseph E. Lee, one of Florida's most distinguished adopted sons, was born in Philadelphia in 1849. Shortly after obtaining a law degree from Howard University in 1873, Lee began to practice in Florida as Jacksonville's first black . . . — Map (db m129570) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The St. JohnsA River of Many Names
(side 1) Discovered by Juan Bono Quexos, 1520 • First named Rio de Corrientes by Spain • Explored by Pedro Menendez • Called Riviere de Mai by France, 1562-4 • San Mateo, Salamototo and Picolata were among its other Spanish names • Its . . . — Map (db m129642) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — First Public School Building
This was the site of Public School No. 1, the first building erected for a public school in 1875, occupied until Jan. 1887 when a new No. 1 at Palafox & Jackson Sts. opened. W.E. Anderson was School Board President. Here also Mrs. Anna R. Thompson, . . . — Map (db m129638) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — First Telephone Exchange
On September 1, 1880, Southern Bell Telephone Company established a telephone exchange on this site serving 31 telephones. This was the first exchange in Florida to have exclusive operating rights within a Florida municipality. — Map (db m129639) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola Beach — F-122 — Captain Richard G. Bradford
In this vicinity Captain Richard G. Bradford of Madison was killed on October 9, 1861, during the Battle of Santa Rosa Island. The battle was fought in an attempt to capture Fort Pickens which protected Pensacola Harbor. Bradford was first . . . — Map (db m129614) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Port St. Joe — F-21 — Florida's First Railroad
Florida's first railroad was constructed for the Lake Wimico & St. Joseph Canal & Railroad Company. Work began in 1835 and the first train ran in March 1836. The line extended nine miles from St. Joseph to Lake Wimico. The state's first steam . . . — Map (db m129676) HM
Florida (Gulf County), Wewahitchka — St. Joseph and Iola Railroad
Third Steam railroad in Florida. Began operations in May, 1839. Built to transport cotton from Iola, located at Tennessee Bluff on the Apalachicola River, to the city of St. Joseph, 28 miles distant. The gauge was five feet. Baldwin locomotives . . . — Map (db m129675) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Captain Joseph FryTampa's First Native Son Died for Cuban Liberty
Captain Joseph Fry was born in Tampa (Fort Brooke) June 14, 1826. As a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, he served with the Navy throughout the world. When the Civil War broke out, Fry fought with courage and capacity for the South in the . . . — Map (db m129943) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ybor City — Birthplace of Tony PizzoHistorian, Author, and Civic Leader
On September 22, 1912 Anthony P.(Tony) Pizzo was born in the family home on this block, neighboring the family livery stable, and eventually produce store, dating from the 1870's. Tony's love of his community and his interest in history resulted in . . . — Map (db m129891) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ybor City — First Citizen
The first citizen of Ybor City was Gavino Gutierrez, Spanish civil engineer. Gutierrez investigated the area in 1884 as a site for a guava processing plant. The guava plant was never erected, but on the strength of Gutierrez recommendations his . . . — Map (db m129893) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ybor City — First Duel in Ybor City 1888
The first violent death in the Latin Quarter occurred in this vicinity when a pistol duel was fought between two Cuban cigarmakers. Their nicknames were "Teclo" and "Matancero." "Teclo" was killed instantly in the exchange. It is said the duel was . . . — Map (db m129944) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-330 — Riomar Clubhouse Saint Edward's School
During the early 1920’s, three Cleveland, Ohio physicians established Riomar as a private winter resort for themselves and their families. The facilities included a clubhouse and guest cottage on what is now Riomar Drive, a nine-hole golf course and . . . — Map (db m129613) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-32 — Capitol of Florida
The Capitol site was selected before Tallahassee was founded. Three log buildings housed the government in 1824. A wing of the permanent Capitol, financed by sale of city lots, was built in 1826 but was later torn down. Another building was . . . — Map (db m129813) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-27 — Selection of Florida's Capital
Under Spanish rule Pensacola was the capital of West Florida, while East Florida's capital was St. Augustine. In 1821 the U.S. took possession and in 1822 William P. Duval succeeded Andrew Jackson as territorial governor. Dr. William H. Simmons, St. . . . — Map (db m129814) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Edmund Lee Family Pioneer Cemetery
The Edmund Lee Family Pioneer Cemetery purchased land from Josiah Gates in 1846 here lies: Mary Guerrero, adopted infant daughter of Miguel and Frederica Guerrero 1868 Rev. James McCarter 1813-1857 Electa Arcotte Lee, first wife 1808-1870 . . . — Map (db m129567) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Terra Ceia — Guerrero Home Site
(Side 1) Miguel Guerrero (aka Gerrero), a Menorcan sailor (b. 1817), established a fishing rancho here at Boots Point in 1848 on the site of a prehistoric Indian village. In 1856, Miguel met Julia Atzeroth's niece, Frederica Kramer (b. . . . — Map (db m129566) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Tavernier — F-778 — Tavernier
(side 1) What is today Tavenier was originally inhabited by the Calusa and Tequesta Native Americans. The Tequesta occupied the area around Biscayne Bay, while the Calusa inhabited Southwest Florida. In 1513, the Florida Keys were . . . — Map (db m129571) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — The Council Oak
. . . — Map (db m129640) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Walden's Live Oak
In 1548 when I sprouted, Florida belonged to Spain. When I was 17 the oldest city in Florida, St. Augustine, was established. I was 215 years old when Spain traded Florida to Britain. When Florida became a U.S. Territory, I had lived 274 years. In . . . — Map (db m129719) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Gulfport — Al Lang Memorial Stadium for Little League Baseball
In memory of Albert Fielding Lang “Uncle Al” Nov. 16, 1870-Feb. 27, 1960 Came to Florida in 1911 Mayor of St. Petersburg: 1916 to 1918-1918 to 1920 Founding President of St. Petersburg Chamber of Commerce Brought . . . — Map (db m129659) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-122 — Cross Florida Barge Canal
Two and a-half miles to the east, at Rodeheaver Boys Ranch, President Lyndon B. Johnson, on February 27, 1964, dedicated the Start of Construction on the 185-MILE CROSS FLORIDA BARGE CANAL. An estimated audience of 15,000 attended. — Map (db m129568) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Hotel James“Historical & Architectural Treasure” — Palatka's Historic Landmark
The Hotel James (aka James Hotel) was designed by Henry John Klutho, a nationally known architect of the Prairie School style from Jacksonville, Florida. Mr. Klutho designed two other buildings in Palatka. The recently restored Larimer Arts Center . . . — Map (db m129635) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Cordova Hotel/County Courthouse
Designed and built by Franklin W. Smith, the Casa Monica Hotel opened in January 1888. The medieval Spanish style structure was one of the earliest multi-storied buildings in the United States constructed of poured concrete. In April 1888, Henry M. . . . — Map (db m129656) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 52nd Running Daytona 5002010 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame
2010 Daytona 500 Champion Jamie McMurray #17 — Map (db m129531) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Orange City — Rollins College
The GENERAL CONGREGATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FLORIDA at its annual meeting held here 29 January 1885 at ORANGE CITY initiated the movement which resulted in the establishment of ROLLINS COLLEGE Florida’s oldest institution of higher education and at a . . . — Map (db m129643) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-535 — Wood's DivisionCrittenden's Corps — Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood
Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood. Sept. 19th, 1863, 3:30 P.M. 1st Brigade - Colonel George P. Buell. 2d Brigade - Brigadier General George D. Wagner. 3d Brigade - Colonel Charles . . . — Map (db m129383) HM
Georgia (Sumter County), Plains — Always a Reckoning
I had a pony then that lacked a way to work and pay her way, except that every year or two Lady had a colt we sold, but still for less than what was due to buy the fodder, hay and corn she ate at times she couldn't be on pasture. Neither . . . — Map (db m129833) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Naalehu — Kauila and the Sea Turtles of Punalu'u
The mystical turtle, Kauila, makes her home in the Ka’u District at Punalu’u Bay. According to Hawaiian mythology, Kauila was empowered with the ability to turn herself from turtle into human form and would play with the children along the shoreline . . . — Map (db m129454) HM
Idaho (Elmore County), Mountain Home — 2004 — Mountain Home Arrives in a 50-pound Soapbox
Eight miles east of here, Rattlesnake Station, was an important stop for wagon trains and travelers along the Oregon Trail because of its sure supply of fresh water. Later, a stage station with a post office called "The Mountain Home" was . . . — Map (db m129572) HM
Kansas (McPherson County), Lindsborg — Home and Studio of Anton PearsonSwedish-American Wood-carver and Artist — Born: Lund, Sweden 1892 - Died: Lindborg, Kansas 1967

Anton Pearson was an immigrant from Lund, Skåne, in southern Sweden. He is best known for his woodcarvings of local Lindsborg and Smoky Valley characters depicted in everyday situations. Anton opened his studio in 1929. Today it continues to be . . . — Map (db m129427) HM

Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Bowling GreenThe Confederate Capitol of Kentucky
A newly constituted state of Kentucky, having been conceived in sovereignty convention Nov. 18-20, 1861 at Russellville, established Bowling Green as its capitol. The commissioners to the Confederate Congress in Richmond were William Preston, . . . — Map (db m129938) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — 67 — Confederate State Capitol of Kentucky
Bowling Green named state capitol at the Convention in Russellville November 20, 1861. First Governor, George W. Johnson. Commissioners to the Confederate Congress, William Preston, W.W. Simms and Henry Burnett. — Map (db m129939) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Zachary — Purple Heart MemorialMilitary Order of the Purple Heart
It is foolish and wrong To mourn the men who died Rather we should thank God That such men lived.

General George S. Patton, Jr. — Map (db m129686) WM

Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Church AlleyCirca 1837
Frédéric Henri Dupérier, under whose leadership New Iberia was incorporated in 1839, along with his wife, Hortense Bérard, donated the land for St. Peter's Catholic Church in 1837. Dupérier asked that this alley remain open for his family's . . . — Map (db m129771) HM
Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Louisiana's First Black Female Physician Dr. Emma Wakefield~Paillet(November 21,1868-August 26, 1946)
In 1897, Dr. Emma Wakefield became the first Black woman to earn a medical degree in Louisiana. Born and raised in New Iberia to state senator Samuel Wakefield & Amelia Valentine Wakefield, Emma graduated with honors from the . . . — Map (db m129769) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Gretna
In 1839, St. Mary's Market Steam Ferry Company developed 824 lots along Lafayette Avenue, naming the area Gretna and establishing commercial ferry service between the West Bank and New Orleans. — Map (db m129780) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Mechanickham
Founded in 1836 by Nicholas Noel Destrehan, Mechanickham was originally part of the Spanish land grant to the Ursuline nuns in 1790. It was incorporated with the villages of Gretna and McDonoghville in 1913 into the City of Gretna, the seat of . . . — Map (db m129684) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — The Naval Station
Although this land was purchased by the U.S. Government from Jean P. Dupiere in 1849 as a proposed Navy Yard, a U.S. Naval Station was not formally established here until 1901 when a dry dock arrived. More land was purchased from the Olivier, . . . — Map (db m129683) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Pineville — Pineville #3
Farmers from the north side of the Red River parked their wagons at Jessie Johnston's General Merchandise and Wagon Lot before they caught the ferry to Alexandria. 1905: Albert Rush and Jesse M. Kees purchased the store and continued to operate at . . . — Map (db m129573) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Krotz Springs — Big Alabama Bayou
Big Alabama Bayou Big Alabama and Little Alabama Bayous are now cut off by levees, but once were bustling waterways, full of fisherman, trappers, hunters and more. The town of Sherburne, now long gone, once stood on the banks of the Big . . . — Map (db m129800) HM
Louisiana (Saint Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Birthplace of Bishop Jules Jeanmard/Lieu de Naissance de L'Évêque Jules Jeanmard
English Side Located one block south at 123 Van Buren Street is the birthplace of the first bishop of the Diocese of Lafayette, Bishop Jules B. Jeanmard. Born August 15, 1879, Jeanmard belonged to St. Bernard Church where he received baptism, . . . — Map (db m129998) HM
Louisiana (Saint Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Legend of Bayou Teche/La Legendè Du Bayou Teche
Many, many years ago, there was a huge and venomous snake. It was so large and so long that its size was not measured in feet, but in miles. Its head was at what is now known as Morgan City and its body stretched beyond St. Martinville and Breaux . . . — Map (db m129967) HM
Louisiana (Saint Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — Pont Breaux, Louisiane(Breaux Bridge)
Named for the Firmin Breaux Family

Settled by Acadians ca. 1766, Founded 1829, Incorporated 1859. — Map (db m129777) HM

Louisiana (Saint Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — The Bridge of 1852
This turntable bridge was built in 1852 and replaced in 1891. The bridge was moved 3 miles downstream and served as a crossing for the community of Ruth until 1992. The bridge was in place when Breaux Bridge was incorporated on March 14, . . . — Map (db m129778) HM
Louisiana (Saint Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — The Pellerin-Chauffe House1896
This Queen Anne Revival cottage was built in 1896 by Edmond Pellerin. The carpenter, Emile Bergeron, built the entire house of local cypress and the house remains the finest example of rural farm life in Breaux Bridge at the end of the 19th . . . — Map (db m129779) HM
Louisiana (Saint Martin Parish), Breaux Bridge — The Valery Thibodeaux HouseCA. 1853
This beautiful Acadian home and grounds was the site chosen by Maj. A. Gallway, 173rd N.Y. Volunteers for the encampment of his Union Troops, April 21, 1863.

This house has been continuously occupied by Valery Thibodeaux's descendants since the . . . — Map (db m129966) HM

Maine (Cumberland County), Portland — Boxer and EnterpriseHistoric Site
On September 5, 1813 off Monhegan Island on the coast of Maine, the American brig “Enterprise” commanded by 28 year old Lt. William Burrows engaged in battle with the British brig “Boxer” commanded by 29 year old Captain . . . — Map (db m129636) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Baldwin — Gunpowder ManorLong Green Valley
In this valley 7031 acres laid out, 1683, for Charles, Third Lord Baltimore. Opened to settlers, 1721 by Charles, Fifth Lord Baltimore. Frederick, Sixth Lord Baltimore, ordered manor sold, 1766. Land remaining 1782 seized and sold as confiscated . . . — Map (db m129902) HM

470 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 270
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.