Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1008 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 808
 
Parc municipal / Municipal Park Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
Parc municipal / Municipal Park Marker
Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — La naissance de New Carlisle / Parc municipalThe Birth of New Carlisle / Municipal Park — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stops 17 and 18

La naissance de New Carlisle

La fin du 18e siècle marqua un grand tournant pour la Gaspésie et ses alentours. À partir de 1778, peu après la déclaration de l'Indépendance des États-Unis (4 juillet 1776), de nombreux Loyalistes . . . — Map (db m130361) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — Légion Royale Canadienne / Palais de JusticeRoyal Canadian Legion / Courthouse — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stops 17 and 18

Légion Royale Canadienne

A la fin de la Première Guerre mondiale, plusieurs vétérans se joignent à la « Great War Veteran's [sic] Association » . Cet organisme qui se préoccupait localement du bien-être des vétérans . . . — Map (db m130621) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican ChurchHistoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 9

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's

Vers 1784, les premiers Loyalistes (citoyens restés fidèles à la couronne britannique après l'indépendance américaine) viennent s'installer sur les côtes de la Baie des . . . — Map (db m131191) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian ChurchCircuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 15

En 1798, le synode de l'Église presbytérienne, d'Écosse délègue deux évangélistes au Canada; l'un d'eux se rend dans la Baie-des-Chaleurs. Deux ans plus tard, la Société des Missionnaires de Londres envoie le révérend John Mitchell . . . — Map (db m130203) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — Maison Tremblay House / L'eglise Unie Zion United ChurchCircuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 14

Maison Tremblay House

C'est à partir du milieu du XIXe siècle que le tissu ethnique de New Carlisle commence à se diversifier. Des catholiques, Canadiens francophones ou Irlandais, viennent y travailler, surtout dans des . . . — Map (db m130136) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — The Loyalist / Les Loyalistes1784 • 2000

The Loyalist

Out of the conflict of the American Revolution a group of colonists remained loyal to the British Crown. Experiencing loss and persecution they sought refuge and a new homeland in Canada. The refugees numbered over . . . — Map (db m130300) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — War MemorialNew Carlisle ~ Paspebiac — 1914 - 1918 • 1939 - 1945 • 1950 - 1953

In honoured memory of those who gave their lives in The Great War and in gratitude to those who survive

Killed In Action Herman Astles • Thomas Blampied • Frederick Beebe Allan Balleine • Benjamin . . . — Map (db m130337) WM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La maison rurale du Bas-Canada / The Rural House of Lower Canada

Au Bas-Canada, l'impact de l'architecture des villas est considérable. Remodelée par le pittoresque et mise en ordre par le néoclassicisme, la maison traditionnelle du Régime français se métamorphose, donnant vie à une synthèse . . . — Map (db m130092) HM

Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Tomb of the Unknown Concentration Camp Prisoner1940 - 1945
Panel text:

Danish: Den Ukendte Koncentrationslejrfanges Grav

English: Tomb of the Unknown Concentration Camp Prisoner

German: Grab des unbekannten Gefangenen der . . . — Map (db m130107) WM

Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Grønbenet Gakket Gangart / Washladies, Water Sprites, and Waddlers
Der lå tidligere talrige vaskepladser langs åen, hvor vaskekonerne udforte deres hårde slæb. De stod i vand til knæene ude i åen med vasketojet, der blev anbragt på en stor sten og banket med en flad tærskel (et banketræ). En af . . . — Map (db m130385) HM
Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Kongemord og Tordenskræpper / Royal Murder and Red Butterbur
Her i H.C. Andersenhaven har du udsigt til både Skt. Knuds Kirke (domkirken), Skt. Knuds Kloster og den lille Klosterhave. Alle bærer de navn efter Knud den Hellige. der var konge af Danmark i år 1080-86. Kong Knud var upopulær, især på . . . — Map (db m130370) HM
Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Ølbryggeri Og Gelændergaranti / A Beer Brewery and the Guaranteed Railings
Har du prøvet klatrevæggen på Albanibryggeriet? Odenses stolte bryggeri er grundlagt i 1859 af apotekeren Theodor Schiøtz og to forretningsmænd. Med Schiøtz som direktør gennem 30 år voksede øl-evntyret sig stort. Selv H.C. Andersen roste . . . — Map (db m130409) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Centtor / "Cent" Gate
Zur Verstärkung des inneren Tors wurde 1472 unter Bischof Rudolf von Scherenberg hier ein vorgelagertes Torhaus mit zwei flankierenden Türmen errichtet. Im Jahr 1600 baut Bischof Julius Echter die Doppeltor-Anlage weiter aus, . . . — Map (db m130128) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Altersheim "Hueberspflege" / "Huebers Care" Senior Home
ALTERSHEIM "Hueberspflege" Von Balth. Neumann für den Oberstallmeister von Zobel erbaut. Seit Ende des 18. Jahrh. durch Stiftung des Ratsherrn Adam Josef Hueber Spital zur Pflege armer Dienstboten Das Portalrelief v. . . . — Map (db m130208) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Balthasar Neumann
1723/25 built als eigenes Wohnhaus erbaut. Gleich nach Fertigstellung an die fürstliche Familie von Hutten veräussert. Jetzt Krankenhaus des Roten Kreuzes.

-

English translation:

Built 1723-25 as . . . — Map (db m130219) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Franz Oberthür
Wohn- und Sterbehaus Des Theologen und Universitätsprofessors

Franz Oberthür geb. 06. 08.1745 · gest. 30.08.1831

Lenke das Auge zurück auf den Anfang des Irdischen Lebens. Sende die Blicke voraus, denkend der nahenden . . . — Map (db m130209) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Hof "Zum Stachel" / The Mace Inn
Romanisches Doppeltor (um 1200) Heute noch erhaltene Substanz aus der Staufferzeit.

Als "hintere Gressenhof" erstmals im Würzburger Lehenbuch schriftlich erwähnt um 1310.

Um 1410 wird der Gressenhof zum "Viertelhof". . . . — Map (db m130204) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Johann Georg Oegg
Ehem. Wohnhaus des Kunstschlossers Joh. Georg Oegg 1703-1782

1746 von Balthasar Neumann erbaut.

-

English translation:

Former residence of the artistic metalworker Johann Georg Oegg, . . . — Map (db m130129) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — John Millington Synge, 1871-1909Irischer Dramatiker - Irish Dramatist
Wohnte hier während seines Musikstudiums an der Königlichen Musikschule im Jahre 1894.

Lived here in 1894 while studying at the Royal School of Music. — Map (db m131178) HM

Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Chattanooga Cane Mill
Chattanooga Cane Mill This type of cane mill fitted with corrugated metal rolls, was first produced in 1897, and is still in production. Cane is passed from front to rear, through one aperture and returned through the other thus receiving two . . . — Map (db m130104) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Clan Campbell Coat of Arms
This stone from Knapdale Estate, St. Ann, shows the coat of arms of the Clan Campbell of Argyll, used by the earliest recorded owner of Knapdale Duncan Campbell (1772-1791) a descendant of the first Duke of Argyll. — Map (db m130138) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Logwood Scale
Logwood Scale This scale was located at Pantrepant in the Parish of Trelawny. It was used to weigh logwood, which was utilized extensively as a dyestuff from the 16th century, and was among Jamaica’s prime exports from that time until the . . . — Map (db m130106) HM
Jamaica, Middlesex (Saint Ann), Discovery Bay — Planet Locomotive
Planet Locomotive This Planet Locomotive equipped with a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder 2 stroke 20 hp diesel engine was last in operation at Inswood Estate. It was used to haul sugar cane from field to factory and was capable of a maximum . . . — Map (db m130105) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Benjamín Carrión
En el Bicentenario de las Independencias de México y Ecuador El pueblo de México a la memoria de Benjamín Carrión (1897-1979) Escritor y embajador ecuatoriano, amigo de México México D.F. a 10 de agosto de 2009 Marcelo . . . — Map (db m130468) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Eduardo Orrin
En esta casa vivió Don Eduardo Orrin benefactor de la Ciudad 1924. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this house lived Eduardo Orrin, benefactor of the . . . — Map (db m130430) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Franz Mayer Museum
Museo Franz Mayer. Fue el Hospital de San Juan de Dios fundado en el siglo XVI y hasta inicios del siglo XX siguió funcionando como hospital. Desde 1996 aloja al Museo Franz Mayer dedicado a las artes decorativas y el diseño. . . . — Map (db m130465) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Giordano Bruno
Plaza Giordano Bruno Filosofo (1548-1600) Fue precursor del conocimiento científico y adalid del libre pensamiento Muerto en la hoguera de la Inquisición en 17 de febrero de 1600 en Campo dei Fiori, Roma. Inaugurada el 17 de febrero . . . — Map (db m130427) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Grave of Manuel Tolsá
En esta Iglesia está sepultado el Arquitecto y escultor Don Manuel Tolsá que murió el 24 de diciembre de 1816. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this church . . . — Map (db m130521) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Francisco I. Madero
En este lugar estuvo la casa del Presidente Francisco I. Madero. incendiada en los dias de la decena trágica en 1913. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this . . . — Map (db m130414) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of the Marqués de Buenavista
Esta fué la casa del Marqués de Buenavista edificada a principios del siglo XIX por el Arq. Manuel Tolsa. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: This was the house of . . . — Map (db m130447) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — House of Vicente Riva Palacio
En este lugar estuvo la casa del general Vicente Riva Palacio (1832-1896). Rayo de guerra y escritor torrencial que alternó los oficios militares con la poesía, la historia, el periodismo y la política. English . . . — Map (db m130449) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Ignacio López Rayón
A la memoria del héroe de la Independencia Nacional, Gral. Ignacio López Rayón La Junta Patriótica 5ª Demarcación Septiembre 16 de 1899. English translation: To the memory of the hero of National Independence, General . . . — Map (db m130515) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan A. Mateos
En esta casa murió el escritor liberal Don Juan A Mateos 29 de diciembre de 1913 Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: In this house died the Liberal writer Juan A. . . . — Map (db m130525) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Mariachi and the "El Tenampa" Cantina
Autoridades del Departmento del Distrito Federal y el pueblo de Mexico rinden honor a: Don Cirilo Marmolejo Teocaltiche Jal. 1890-1960 Mariachi Coculense Ciudad de Mexico desde 1920 y Don Concho Andrade Cocula Jal. 1943 Mariachi de . . . — Map (db m130532) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Santa Veracruz
Santa Veracruz. En 1759 se comenzó a levantar esta iglesia, ejemplo destacado del estilo churrigueresco que hay en la ciudad. En su interior reposan los restos del arquitecto Manuel Tolsá y del Ignacio López Ráyon, destacado héroe . . . — Map (db m130519) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Anti-reelection Convention of April 1910
En memoria de la Convencion Antirreeleccionista del Tivoli. 15 de abril de 1910. A iniciativa de la vieja guardia revolucionaria de 1910. Erige esta columna el Departamento del Distrito Federal. MCMXXXIII. Convención – 1910. . . . — Map (db m130444) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Temple of San Juan de Dios
Templo de San Juan de Dios. Fue construido como parte del Hospital de San Juan de Dios, más tarde Hospital de la Mujer. English translation: Temple of San Juan de Dios. It was built as part of the Hospital of San Juan de . . . — Map (db m130450) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Tragedy at the Lobohombo DiscoThe Cuauhtémoc Delegation Fire Station
Después de los trágicos acontecimientos sucedidos en la “Discoteca Lobohombo” la Jefa Delegacional en Cuauhtémoc, 2003-2006 Lic. Virginia Jaramillo Flores decidió cambiar la historia de este lugar, convirtiéndolo en la . . . — Map (db m130431) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Valentín Gómez Farías
Valentín Gómez Farías (1781-1858) Nació el 14 de febrero en la ciudad de Guadalajara, médico, político y convencido reformista y liberal. En 1812 fue electo diputado a las Cortes de Cádiz y en 1821 se adhirió al Plan de Iguala. Fue . . . — Map (db m130432) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of San Juan del Río), Senegal de las Palomas — Senegal de las Palomas
Valorando la visita del señor presidente del Senegal, como un acontecimiento histórico, los habitantes de esta comunidad, hemos tomado el acuerdo de que este ejido, conocido como Palomas, a partir de este día con todo orgullo lleve el . . . — Map (db m130609) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Merida), Mérida — El Chemulpo
El Chemulpo Esta esquina debe su nombre a un salón expendedor de cerveza y licores finos, que abrió en el predio número 483 el St.Eduardo Graham, entre los años 1910 y 1912. El vocablo "Chemulpo" es el nombre de un puerto de Japón; . . . — Map (db m130798) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "La Plancha" and Railway Station
La Plancha y Ferrocarriles La estación del Ferrocarril situada en el cruzamiento de las calles 48 y 55 fue proyectada por el arquitecto Carlos J.S. Hall y construida entre 1913 y 1920. Es considerada quizá el único ejemplo en Mérida . . . — Map (db m131007) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Nuns"Tempło Expiatorio de Nuestra Señora de la Consolación
Las Monjas Poco tiempo después de iniciada la construcción de la Catedral, se comenzó la edificación de este significativo convento (edificio situado al frente y norte de esta cédula) que se dedicaría a las monjas Concepcionistas, . . . — Map (db m131086) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Augusto Cárdenas Pinelo
En esta casa nacio el dia 2 de diciembre de 1905 el trovador romántico Augusto Cardenas Pinelo (Gutty) Homenaje a iniciativa de “Caricaturas” bajo el patrimonio del Club Escuela Modelo y Trovadores Yucatecos junio de 1932 . . . — Map (db m131083) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Catherwood House
Casa Catherwood Frederick Catherwood y John Stephens fueron dos viajeros ingleses quienes llegaron a Yucatán con la intención de explorar y conocer las ciudades prehispánicas. En sus recorridos, el primero tomó apuntes e hizo . . . — Map (db m130577) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Colegio Montejo Annex
Aquí se fundó el Colegio Montejo “Anexo”, el 2 de septiembre de 1941, donde también funcionó el primer centro colectivo de alfabetización para adultos, a iniciativa del Mtro. Dr. Jose E. Santana Robles, con la colaboración . . . — Map (db m131106) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Diesel Electric Locomotive FUS 412
Locomotora Diesel Electrica F.U.S. 412 Llegó a México en 1939 como SCOP 7442-4. Trabajó en el Ferrocarril Tijuana Tecate, después en el Ferrocarril Sonora Baja California y en los años 50’s en F.U.S. English . . . — Map (db m130972) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Diesel Electric Locomotive S-BC 2201
Locomotora Diesel Electrica S-BC 2201 Modelo General Motor’s EMD F7A. Llegó nueva en 1949 para el Ferrocarril Sonora – Baja California, trabajando hasta 1980 English translation: Diesel Electric Locomotive . . . — Map (db m130945) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — 'Dragons' Quarters
Cuartel de Dragones El antiguo inmueble original fue construido probablemente en 1746. A petición del entonces gobernador Don Alonso de Benavides Bazán y Molina, el Ayuntamiento donó el terreno a los frailes franciscanos a fin de . . . — Map (db m131008) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Eligio Ancona Castillo
Homenaje al Benemérito del Estado que vivió en este predio Lic. Eligio Ancona Castillo (1835-1893) Ilustre historiador, prócer de las letras, combativo periodista, destacado jurista y político liberal, federalista y rebublicano. . . . — Map (db m131082) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Folk Art Museum
Museo de Arte Popular El inmueble, conocido como "Casa Molina" por el apellido de sus últimos propietarios particulares es un palacete de dos plantas con acabados externos de estilo ecléctico académico, almohadillado en tablas eń . . . — Map (db m131074) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Former Convent dedicated to Our Lady of Transit o de La Mejorada
Ex Convento de Nuestra Señora del Tránsito o de La Mejorada Patrimonio de la Nación Este conjunto tiene su origen en una construcción franciscana del Siglo XVII, conjunto que se desarrolló en dos etapas: primero la iglesia (1640) y . . . — Map (db m131012) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Fotografía Guerra
En esta casa estuvo el ultimo gran local de la Fotografia Guerra Fundada en 1877 por D. Pedro Guerra Jordan al que sucedio D. Pedro Guerra Aguilar Patronato Pro Historia Peninsular, A.C. H. Ayuntamiento de Mérida . . . — Map (db m131085) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — General Santos Degollado Sánchez
. . . — Map (db m130646) HM WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Héctor Victoria Aguilar
Héctor Victoria Aguilar Ferrocarrilero y Diputado al Congreso Constituyente de Queretaro en 1917. 1971 Parque Artículo 123 English translation: Héctor Victoria Aguilar Railroad worker and Deputy to the . . . — Map (db m130829) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — José Jacinto Cuevas Barrera
En esta casa vivió José Jacinto Cuevas Barrera (1821-1878) Padre y prócer de la musica yucatanense, fundador del Conservatorio de Música y Declamación y creador de la musica del himno yucateco. Centro Cultural Prohispen A.C. . . . — Map (db m131089) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — José Rendón Peniche
Don Jose Rendon Peniche 1829-1887 Pionero del sistema ferroviario en Yucatan Constructor de la Via Ancha Merida – Progreso de 1875 a 1881 Benemerito del Estado H. Ayuntamiento de Merida Diciembre de 1986 Al conmemorarse 100 . . . — Map (db m130942) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Juan F. Molina Solís
Al insigne historiador Lic. Juan F. Molina Solis Fallecio en esta casa el 24 de julio de 1932. In memoriam English translation: The distinguished historian Lic. Juan F. Molina Solis Died in this house on July . . . — Map (db m131049) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Juan Gamboa Guzmán
En este lugar estuvo la casa donde falleció el pintor yucateco Juan Gamboa Guzmán el 19 de abril de 1892 Mérida, Yuc., 23 de Octubre de 2002 Centro INAH Yucatán. Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia . . . — Map (db m131092) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Leopoldo Peniche Vallado
En esta casa vivió y falleció Leopoldo Peniche Vallado (1908-2000) Destacado periodista, dramaturgo y ensayista yucateco. Patronato Pro Historia Peninsular, A.C. H. Ayuntamiento de Mérida English . . . — Map (db m130724) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Monsignor Norberto Domínguez
Monseñor Norberto Dominguez Dean de la Santa Iglesia Catedral, Prbto. Notario Apostólico, Prelado Doméstico y Camarero de Honor de su Santidad, nació en Mérida el 5 de junio de 1832 Murió santamente en ésta ciudad el 12 de mayo de . . . — Map (db m131098) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Monument to the Children Heroes of Chapultepec
Murieron por la Patria A los Niños Heroes de Chapultepec de 1847 Merida, Yuc. 1970. Estoy seguro de que mañana moriremos Juan Crisostomo Cano y Cano a Andres Quintana Roo. Chapultepec Septiembre 12 de 1847 Asociacion del Heroico . . . — Map (db m131056) WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — 123 — Museum and Art Gallery Juan Gamboa Guzmán
Pinacoteca “Juan Gamboa Guzmán” Museo Pinacoteca Juan Gamboa Guzmán Historia de la pintura colonial y del siglo XIX en Yucatán Ex sacristía de la “Iglesia del Jesús” Monumento histórico del siglo XVII INAH . . . — Map (db m131075) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Neighborhood of La Mejorada
Barrio de La Mejorada Debe su nombre al convento franciscano de Nuestra Señora del Tránsito o de La Mejorada del siglo XVII. Esta construcción ha tenido usos muy diversos, como Hospital, Escuela de Artes y Oficios }, Prefectura de . . . — Map (db m131036) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Passenger Car 1552
El coche 1552 construido por Pullman Standar Car. En 1926 perteneció al Ferrocarril Southern Pacific, Estados Unidos. English translation: Passenger Car 1552 The car 1552 was constructed by Pullman-Standard Car . . . — Map (db m130867) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Passenger Car 4285
Coche de Pasajeros FNM 4285 Construido de aluminio por la Compañía Canadiense Hawker Siddeley para Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico (FNM), con un total de 60 coches de primera clase y 140 de segunda clase. El pedido de 200 carros . . . — Map (db m130974) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Railroad Station
Estación de Ferrocarriles Fue construida entre 1913 y 1920 por el arquitecto Carlos J. S. Hall y es considerada quizá el único ejemplo en Mérida del llamado “primer estilo neocolonial” que obedecía a una tendencia . . . — Map (db m130805) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — 501 — Temple of Santiago
Templo de Santiago Patrimonio de la Nación Edificado en el Siglo XVII English translation: Temple of Santiago A National Heritage Site Built in the 17th century — Map (db m130622) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The History of Chemulpo Street
Historia de Chemulpo Una segunda versión del nombre, es la que se conoce por algunas personas de la Asociación de Coreanos en Yucatán que recuerdan que el motivo de este lugar surgió cuando aquellos que llegaron a Yucatán en 1905 para . . . — Map (db m130659) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Nicolás Bravo School
Escuela Nicolás Bravo Calle 59 No. 566 por 72 Patrimonio de la Nación Ex Casa Escuela de Santiago, visitada por el presidente Porfirio Díaz en 1906 English translation: The Nicolás Bravo School Calle 59 No. 566 . . . — Map (db m130580) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Old Rendón Peniche Sanitorium
Antiguo Sanatorio Rendón Peniche Construido en 1920 English translation: The Old Rendón Peniche Sanatorium Built in 1920 — Map (db m130850) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Orphanage
El Orfanatorio Toma el nombre de la antigua pensión para infantes que se instaló en un inmueble construido en terrenos que pertenecieron al convento de monjas concepcionistas. La dueña de este orfanato particular situado en el número . . . — Map (db m131081) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The San Juan Arch
Arco de San Juan Hoy conocido como “de San Juan” y originalmente como “Arco de San Cristóbal” se encuentra en la antigua salida al Camino Real a Campeche. Es el de mayores dimensiones de los tres que hoy . . . — Map (db m131124) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida|), Mérida — Julia Dominga Febles y Cantón
Aquí vivió y murió Julia Dominga Febles y Cantón (1870-1940) Ilustre poeta y periodista "Julia", los críticos españoles la consideraron una poetisa de las mas importantes de América en su tiempo. agosto 2008 Patronato Pro . . . — Map (db m131084) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Progreso), Chicxulub Puerto — Chicxulub Asteroid Impact
Chicxulub Impacto de Asteroide Hace 65 millones de años un enorme asteroide 10 km diámetro impacto en este lugar, ocacionando un cataclismo mundial, acabando con el 60% de los seres vivientes estelarmente los dinosaurios dando . . . — Map (db m130573) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Yucatán), Mérida — Steam Locomotive
Locomotora de Vapor Construida en EE.UU en septiembre de 1903 Steam Locomotive Constructed in the United States in September of 1903. — Map (db m130970) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of London — Royal Exchange Jubilee Walkway
The Heart of the City This panel stands in the heart of the City of London near some of the most important financial and civic buildings in the capital. This is the part of London where over 350,000 people work by day, while there are a mere . . . — Map (db m130044) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — York Watergate — Victoria Embankment Gardens
This Gateway Marks the Position of the North Bank of the River Thames Before the construction of the Victoria Embankment in 1862 It was built in 1626 by Nicholas Stone, Master Mason for George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham to serve as the . . . — Map (db m130441) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Bloomsbury Square
Bloomsbury Square Sir Hans Sloane Trail by Year 5, Holy Trinity C of E Primary School this garden has been planted in honour of Sir Hans Sloane. Sir Hans Sloane was born in Killyleagh, County Down, in Ireland in the year 1660. He came to London . . . — Map (db m130176) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Bloomsbury Square Physic Garden
Bloomsbury Square Physic Garden Welcome to our garden in Bloomsbury Square. It's no ordinary garden; it is a physic garden. What's a physic garden? If you want to know more, read on! A physic garden has plants with medicinal properties for . . . — Map (db m130177) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — London Hop Trade World War I Memorial
To the Memory of the Men of The London Hop Trade Who Died for Us in the Great War 1914 — 1918 Pte. Adams A.A.   15th Cty. of London Reg. · Pte. Arnold E.   9th Bn. Suffolk Reg. · Cpl. Attree G.W.   Q.R.W.Sy. Reg. · Capt. Baird F.M.   . . . — Map (db m130043) WM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Tower Hamlets — West India Docks
Of this Range of Buildings Constructed together with the Adjacent Docks, At the Expence of public spirited Individuals, Under the Sanction of a provident Legislature, And with the liberal Co-operation of the Corporate Body of the City of London. . . . — Map (db m130045) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Christ Church & Its Meadow
Christ Church & Its Meadow Christ Church, on your right, was founded in 1525 by Cardinal Wolsey and is one of the University's best known colleges. Its chapel is the city's cathedral and contains the shrine of Oxford's patron saint, St Frideswide. . . . — Map (db m130820) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Cornmarket & Market St
Cornmarket & Market St Cornmarket is a busy modern shopping street that has been a main road since Saxon times. It was formerly known as Northgate Street after the gate in the city wall which stood beside the Saxon tower of St Michael's Church . . . — Map (db m130817) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Hythe Bridge Street
Hythe Bridge Street Hythe Bridge Street dates back to at least 1233 when it provided access across the Castle Mill Stream, a branch of the river Thames, to two of Oxford's great abbeys. Sadly, there are now only a few traces of Osney Abbey (founded . . . — Map (db m130816) HM
United Kingdom, England, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea — Orangery Project
Orangery Project The Kensington Palace Pavilion What is happening here? Following our 2012 transformation which opened up the East Front gardens and reconnected the palace to the park, we have now turned our attention to the Orangery . . . — Map (db m130433) HM
United Kingdom, England (Surrey County), Dorking — Dorking War Memorial
1914   1919 In Memory of Dorking Men Who Fell in the Great War Alderman T.P. · Ansell J. · Arthur E.J. · Barker H.A. · Barker H. · Barker H.C. · Batson A.W. · Baxter F.H. · Baxter P.J. · Bell T. · Biggs R.H. · Bishop G.L. · Boggis R. · Bonfield . . . — Map (db m130262) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Colonia Italiana 1888-The Beautiful Forest / The Founding Fathers of the Italian Colony
Colonia Italiana 1888-The Beautiful Forest In 1888, Alesandro Mastro-Valerio, realizing the plight of fellow Italian immigrants living and working in hazardous conditions in many northern states, bought land here to attract colonists. He . . . — Map (db m130913) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Orange Beach — Bay Circle
Front This area, located along the southern shore of Wolf Bay, was the original 'Downtown' of Orange Beach. Beginning in the 1870's, the two schooners of James C. Callaway anchored near here in the deep-water Boat Basin. The . . . — Map (db m130682) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Sonora Community / Sonora School and Community Hall
Sonora Community The community of Sonora was named in 1901 by the wife of the first postmaster, G.L. Sharretts. Situated near Red Hill Ford on Baker Branch and the intersection of travel routes between Silverhill, Magnolia Springs, Marlow . . . — Map (db m130878) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Summerdale / Summerdale's Turpentine Still
Summerdale The Summerdale area was settled in the early 1850's by several families of Scotch and Irish descent. By 1900, the town had a church, a saw mill, a turpentine business, and a hotel. Many families of different nationalities moved . . . — Map (db m130868) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Coleman-Crenshaw House
Dr. John Coleman, born June 6, 1788 in North Carolina, was one of Butler County's earliest pioneer settlers. He built the Coleman-Crenshaw House some time between 1817 and 1821. In June 1820 the first election for Sheriff and Constable, held in . . . — Map (db m130052) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — In Memory of Captain William Butler
A native of Virginia. Pioneer settler of Butler County for whom the county is named Massacred by the Indians near Butler Springs March 18, 1818 — Map (db m130049) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Our Confederate Dead Monument
North side: Our Confederate Dead West side: Erected 1903 by the The Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. South side: To the memory of Butler CO's . . . — Map (db m130089) WM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Site of Confederate Hospital1861 – 1865
Title is textMap (db m130053) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — The Federal Road and The Palings / Fort Dale 1818
The Federal Road and the Palings The Federal Road was built in 1806 as a shorter route from Washington to New Orleans and the new Louisiana Territory. The road entered Alabama at Fort Mitchell, Georgia and passed through Butler County near this . . . — Map (db m130050) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Marbury — Water Tank
The Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home was a self-sufficient operation. Constructed in 1904 by the State of Alabama, the reservoir and pumping stations were part of an intricate system which replaced hand dug wells as the main source of fresh water. . . . — (db m130091) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Andalusia — Dixon Home Place / History of the Dixon Home
Dixon Home Place Four generations of Dixons, each promoting the management of trees as a renewable resource, made their living in forestry on this ground thereby contributing significantly to Alabama’s economy and forest industry. . . . — Map (db m130670) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Watson Cabin
Built in Wilcox County, Alabama 1845 this ancestral home of the Watson family was donated to Leadership Atmore in 1999. In memory of Rupert Basil Watson 1905 – 1981 — Map (db m130677) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Pilgrims' Rest Cemetery
This cemetery was established in 1854 when Pilgrims' Rest Baptist Church was founded across the road on September 17 in that same year. The cemetery remained prominent in Alco even though the original congregation moved and Alco Methodist Church . . . — Map (db m130672) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Second Saint Siloam Missionary Baptist ChurchConstructed June 10, 1910
On November 5, 1909, a group of worshipers gathered in the Congregational Church on the corner of St. Joseph and Evergreen Streets and organized the Second Saint Siloam Missionary Baptist Church. On June 10, 1910, the Second Saint Siloam Missionary . . . — Map (db m130671) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — The Robbins & McGowin Building
Truly an Escambia County landmark, Robbins and McGowin Co. organized in March 1897 with the consolidation of the J. I. Robbins and J. G. McGowin Stores, the millinery of Miss L. A. Cunningham, the Blacksher-Miller Commissary, and the J. E. Finlay . . . — Map (db m130673) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Damascus — Damascus Travelers Well
Damascus Travelers Well (construction date unknown) was originally a public water well offering refreshment and rest for travelers and their animals passing through this area. The Damascus community also benefited from this well. Mr. and Mrs. N. W. . . . — Map (db m130668) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Pollard — Francis B. Bonifay Law Office
This is the site of Francis B. "Frank" Bonifay's law office. Bonifay was the first Probate Judge of Escambia County Alabama 1869 - 1870. Jesse Howard was elected in 1871 and served for a short time but resigned and Bonifay served from 1870 - 1874. . . . — Map (db m130674) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Pollard — Pollard Station
William Henry Chase, a Massachusetts born captain in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers came to Pensacola, Florida in 1826 to supervise the construction of the network of harbor fortifications for the defense of the newly authorized Navy Yard. His . . . — Map (db m130676) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Goldsmith-Schiffman Field
On January 25, 1934, Oscar Goldsmith, Lawrence B. Goldsmith, Annie Schiffman Goldsmith, Robert L. Schiffman, and Strauss Schiffman gave this property to the City of Huntsville for an athletic field. The gift was in memory of Betty Bernstein . . . — Map (db m130148) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lowry House
John Lowry moved his family from Virginia and purchased land on Meridianville Pike in 1809. He was the contractor for Madison County's first courthouse in 1811. His grandson, John Tate Lowry, a leading merchant with Lowry, Hamilton and Company, . . . — Map (db m130812) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Somerville — Somerville, Alabama
Somerville was incorporated in 1819, the same year in which Alabama became the 22nd state in the Union. It was the county seat of Morgan County from 1819 until 1891. Somerville was named after Lt. Robert Summerville (the spelling was later . . . — Map (db m130416) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — Allen English HomeAdobe Home Built in 1882
Born in Saginaw, Mich., in 1860, English, a law graduate, moved to Tombstone in 1880. He first worked as a miner, then became a partner in Smith & Goodrich law firm. He also served 3 terms as Cochise County District Attorney. English's . . . — Map (db m131100) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 41 — HoptownChinese Section — 1879
In 1879 there were 11 people in Tombstone of Chinese descent. By 1882 there were 250. The area between 2nd and 3rd and Allen and Toughnut was the area where they lived and had businesses, commonly called "Hoptown". The Chinese ran laundries, . . . — Map (db m131096) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 37 — Million Dollar Stope
At 1:00 p.m. on April 21st, 1907, the "Million Dollar Stope" was created when the Good Enough Stope caved in dropping a horse and wagon 75' into a gaping hole. The driver had climbed down to see why his horse had stumbled only to find himself . . . — Map (db m131088) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 37a — The Mines of Tombstone
Tombstone was a mining town. Everything that happened here happened because of the lure of the silver and gold found by Ed Schieffelin in the hills of Tombstone in 1877. And so they came, the prospectors, laborers, miners, lawmen, “shady . . . — Map (db m131095) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Honus Wagner
No player left a bigger legacy in Hot Springs than "the Flying Dutchman.” He enjoyed the baths and all the activities Hot Springs had to offer, he also participated in civic functions and coached the high school basketball team. Honus . . . — Map (db m130003) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Hot Springs Intracity Transit National Historic Register
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Arkansas Historic Preservation Program. Department of Arkansas Heritage. — Map (db m130032) HM
Arkansas (Garland County), Hot Springs — Kenji Miyazawa1896-1933
You are facing the only statue of Kenji Miyazawa outside of Japan. We are grateful to the Miyazawa family for permission to erect it here. It is our hope that you will appreciate his body of work, including the message contained in this poem, and . . . — Map (db m130033) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 539 — Posey Station of Butterfield Overland Mail Lines
Two and one-half miles east of this point stood the Posey Station on the Butterfield Overland Stage route that ran from St. Louis, Missouri through present-day Kern County to San Francisco during 1858-61, until the outbreak of the Civil War. — Map (db m129974) HM
California (Kern County), Fellows — 581 — Midway Field - Well No. 2-6First Gusher — The well which made the Midway Oil Field famous
Near an area of small 40 and 50 barrel wells, it blew in over the derrick top November 27th, 1909, with a production of 2,000 barrels a day, and started one of the greatest oil booms California ever experienced. “For a long time it . . . — Map (db m130234) HM
California (Kern County), McKittrick — McKittrick Hotel and Penny Bar
The McKittrick Hotel and Penny Bar is the direct successor to the old Headquarters Hotel and Saloon built by Armando Bandattini in 1898. After the business was destroyed by fire in 1903, Bandattini rebuilt it here, in its original location at the . . . — Map (db m130415) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — Shafter Depot
This building originally located four blocks southeast of this site was opened for use and dedicated October 11, 1917. Until closed in 1978, this building served as Shafter’s gateway to the world as the mail, Western Union Telegraph, express, . . . — Map (db m130325) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — The Green HotelShafter's First Commercial Building
Built in 1913 by Kern County Land Company to accommodate prospective land buyers for the settlement of Shafter Listed 1989 National Register of Historic Places Supported by California Office of Historic Preservation Grants Restored 1989 by . . . — Map (db m130233) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — The FortReplica of Sutter’s Fort — Erected in 1940 A.D.
Constructed on the basic plan of Sutter’s original fort one hundred years after its erection in Sacramento by that distinguished pioneer Captain John Augustus Sutter. The building of this replica of one of the most outstanding landmarks to the early . . . — Map (db m130655) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — 374 — Tulamniu Indian Site
The old Yokuts village of Tulamniu was named Buena Vista by Spanish Commander Fages in 1772. (One of first place names in south San Joaquin Valley.) Fr. Zalvidea again recorded the site in 1806. This village was occupied for several centuries. . . . — Map (db m130232) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Rocketdyne Santa Susana Field LaboratoryAIAA Historic Aerospace Site
On 15 November 1950, the SSFL conducted its first official test with a Rocketdyne-designed XLR43-NA-1 large liquid propellant rocket engine, which later became the Redstone engine. Encompassing 2558 acres, 18 large static test stands, 5 component . . . — Map (db m130040) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — 92 — Old Santa Susana Stage Road‘Devil’s Slide’
Old Santa Susana Stage Road, 1859-90. Marked March 17 1939, Native Daughters of the Golden West, Topango Parlor 269. — Map (db m131208) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Encino — De La Osa AdobeLos Encinos State Historical Monument
This dwelling, built in 1849 by Don Vincente de la Osa, was a favored stopping place for the numerous travelers on El Camino Real. It stands on land that is part of the one-square-league Rancho El Encino granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico to three . . . — Map (db m129976) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1934: The Night of the Long KnivesHolocaust Monument
In violation of the Treaty of Versailles, Germany initiated an ambitious military rearmament program to restore its military strength; covert air reconnaissance missions commenced. Germany began to secure its national borders. On January 26, . . . — Map (db m130810) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — A Changing Campus — USC — University of Southern California
For Old College, USC’s second-oldest building, September 20, 1948 marked the beginning of the end. Exactly 64 years to the day alter its cornerstone was laid, USC President Fred Fagg announced that the structure had outlived its usefulness. . . . — Map (db m130178) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — An International University — USC — University of Southern California
USC’s international roots are broad and deep, reaching back to its founding in 1880. Two of the three original donors of land to the university were foreign-born, and almost from the start, its stewards were casting their eyes overseas. . . . — Map (db m130167) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 72 — Automobile Club Headquarters
Automobile Club of Southern California; headquarters building of the pioneer motoring club; founded 1900; built in Spanish Colonial style. — Map (db m131042) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Barack Obama ‘83
44th President of the United States, made his first political speech - - a protest against South African apartheid - - on this plaza February 18, 1981 — Map (db m130069) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Campus Life — USC — University of Southern California
For many decades, the Trojan Spirit has been rooted in USC’s rich campus life. In each era, however, the environment that has fostered that spirit has taken on a radically different character. The university’s first students filled their . . . — Map (db m130079) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Ceasar Estrada ChavezMarch 31, 1927 – April 23, 1993 — USC — University of Southern California
Visited the USC campus in 1982, 1985 and 1989. “The end of all education should surely be service to others” • “El próposito de toda educacíon verdaderamente deberia servir a otros” — Map (db m130214) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Meeting of the USC Board of Trustees — USC — University of Southern California
The Board of Trustees of the University of Southern California met for the first time on September 3, 1880, culminating years of efforts by leaders of the Methodist Episcopal Conference of Southern California. The Board accepted the gift of this . . . — Map (db m129945) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Founders’ FountainThe University of Southern California
Established here July 29, 1879, to the Glory of GOD and to the Preservation of the Republic. An institution of higher learning dedicated to the search for and the dissemination of the truth to freedom of thought and discussion. To intelligent, . . . — Map (db m130534) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Information Please: The USC Libraries — USC — University of Southern California
In August 1994, USC opened the doors to a revolutionary new facility destined to help redefine the nature and function of the modern university library. Conceived as a gateway to knowledge, the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Library was designed . . . — Map (db m130207) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 62 — Judson Studios
Vital contributor to Los Angeles’ artistic development through the fine art of stained glass. — Map (db m130202) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
The record-breaking F-104 Starfighter was created by Clarence L “Kelly" Johnson and his Advanced Development Projects engineering unit (the "Skunk Works") at the Lockheed-California Company in Burbank. Johnson received the Collier Trophy in . . . — Map (db m130047) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Love Affair with the Movies — USC — University of Southern California
The curtain first rose on USC’s distinguished contributions to cinema on February 6, 1929, when Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., ascended the stage in Bovard Auditorium and delivered the opening lecture for the nation’s first university course in film. The . . . — Map (db m130658) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Nancy Pohl Overlook at Fryman CanyonMulholland Scenic Parkway
The Valley Below Mulholland Drive runs along the ridgeline of the Santa Monica Mountains between Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley. From here you can see a small portion of the 345-square-mile valley bounded by the Santa Susana . . . — Map (db m129930) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Public Service — USC — University of Southern California
As an institution that has always been inextricably linked to the region it calls home, the University of Southern California has long been a source of formal and informal community service. During its early years, much of that service took the . . . — Map (db m130194) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Rancho La Brea AdobeGilmore Adobe
Founded 1828 by Jose Antonio Rocha. Completed 1880 by A.F. Gilmore. Marked June 28, 1935. — Map (db m130435) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Route 66 & Chicken Boy
America’s Mother Road U.S. Route 66, established in 1926, was one of the original highways of the United States Highway System. It originally ran from Chicago, Illinois in the east to its western terminus in Downtown Los Angeles, on . . . — Map (db m130182) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spy in the SkyThe A-12 Blackbird
A-12 and SR-71, a tale of two Blackbirds. The A-12 and SR-71 Blackbirds are nearly identical in size, shape, and performance. The famous Lockheed Skunk Works designed both airplanes but they were operated by different agencies for . . . — Map (db m130540) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Student Musical Traditions — USC — University of Southern California
As long as USC has been in existence, there has been music in the air. Musical instruction was listed in the university’s first catalog in 1880, and the first USC band was started in 1881. A student served as band director, and although the group . . . — Map (db m130533) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Carolyn Craig Franklin Library Garden Courtyard and Fountain“Take Time to Smell the Flowers” — USC — University of Southern California
This library garden courtyard and fountain are dedicated to the memory of Carolyn Craig Franklin (1919–1993). They were donated by Dr. Carl Franklin, Vice President Emeritus and Professor of Law at USC, and their four children: Craig, . . . — Map (db m130210) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Founding of USC — USC — University of Southern California
Los Angeles was a rough and tumble frontier town in the 1870s, when a group of public-spirited citizens first dreamed of establishing a university in the region. Led by Judge Robert Maclay Widney and members of the region’s Methodist Episcopal . . . — Map (db m130080) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 543 — The History of Gilmore Oil Company 1900-1945Dairy Farm to Oil Field
1872: Arthur Fremont Gilmore leaves Millersburg, Illinois and heads west to seek his fortune in California. He soon forms a partnership with Julius Carter and the two go into the dairy business in Compton, California. 1880: A.F. Gilmore . . . — Map (db m130531) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Trojan Column — USC — University of Southern California
This section of a column from the legendary Troy, quarried and polished without the aid of iron tools at an unknown date before 1200 B.C., stood in the courtyard of a public building believed to have been a temple of Trojan Apollo. It was presented . . . — Map (db m130174) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Universal City Overlook
The Entertainment Capital In 1912, Carl Laemmle bought a 230-acre chicken ranch and started Universal Studios. He kept the chickens just in case the movie business failed. He could not foresee that Los Angeles would become the world's . . . — Map (db m129933) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — 157 — San Fernando Mission
Founded in 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco Lasuen We honor those men of faith, courage and vision who guided the founding of the mission and also those who have preserved it for posterity. — Map (db m130662) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — 150 — This FountainBrand Park
A replica of one in Cordoba, Spain; was built around 1812-1814 and was part of the water system in San Fernando Mission garden. 100 years later this garden was the property of Mr. Leslie C. Brand, who donated a part of it to Los Angeles for a . . . — Map (db m130560) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills, Los Angeles — Mission Dam
Rubble masonry water storage dam built by San Fernando Mission Indians in 1808. Water flowed to the mission via a tiled pipe. — Map (db m130564) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Invention of the Cheeseburger
On this site in 1924, sixteen year-old Lionel Sternberger first put cheese on a hamburger and served it to a customer, thereby inventing the cheeseburger. The 'Aristocratic Burger' at the Rite Spot is the first instance of a hamburger with cheese . . . — Map (db m131006) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Reseda — 629 — Adams Residence
Modern Style. Architect — Lloyd Wright. Built 1939. Declared 1996. — Map (db m130146) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — “Trees of Santa Monica”
To honor George T. Hastings, author of “Trees of Santa Monica,” October 10, 1963—his 88th birthday—in appreciation of his dedication in sharing his knowledge and love of trees, flowers and birds. To honor Grace L. . . . — Map (db m130429) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — John P. Jones Monument
In honor of John P. Jones, founder of Santa Monica and for thirty years a Senator of the United States, pioneer of the West, statesman, philosopher, friend. On the spot he loved so well this memorial has been erected in recognition of his . . . — Map (db m130442) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — The Discovery of Santa Monicaby Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo — on October 8, 1542
In commemoration of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of Santa Monica by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo on October 8, 1542, this tablet is erected and dedicated by the Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West, with the cooperation . . . — Map (db m130424) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — World’s First Flying Automobile
From 1935-1938 at this location pioneer aviator and inventor Waldo Waterman created the most successful of his “roadable aircraft,” the Arrowbile, which had the capability to fly in the sky and drive on the street. — Map (db m131020) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — 18 — Cawston Ostrich Farm1896 - 1935
In 1885, Edwin Cawston chartered a ship for the purpose of transporting from South Africa to America some of the best ostriches obtainable in the world. Of the original 50 fine birds only 18 survived the five week voyage to Galveston and hazardous . . . — Map (db m130144) HM
California (Nevada County), Norden — 25 — Donner Pass Airway Station & Beacon
History The first wagon trains, the first transcontinental railroad, and the first transcontinental highway crossed Donner Summit. So did the first transcontinental airway. When airplanes were new, pilots flew by the "seat of their pants" . . . — Map (db m130536) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — Don Gaspar de Portolá“Don Gaspor Portola“
Don Gaspor Portola with 60 men camped here July 31, 1769 on his first exploring route from San Diego to Monterey. — Map (db m130638) HM
California (Riverside County), Pine Cove — 26 — Speed-of-Light Experiment
From this location instruments reflected light in 1926 to Mount Wilson, 82 miles northwest. The work was one of a series of experiments conducted by Nobel Prize-winning scientist Dr. Albert A Michelson to refine the value of the speed of light. . . . — Map (db m129941) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Bridle-Arrest "Horns"
Until the 1980's, carriers launched aircraft with a wire cable, or bridle, which pulled the aircraft down the catapult track. At the end of the track the aircraft detached from the bridle as it flew off the bow. After the aircraft separated, the . . . — Map (db m130535) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Daring Pilots, Youthful Heroes
The 91st Observation Squadron Crissy Field was home to many daring pilots who made their mark on aviation history. Among these famous flyers were Major Dana H. Crissy, who died in a crash attempting to fly to the East Coast from here, and Major . . . — Map (db m131186) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Homeland of the Yelamu
The Native People of the Peninsula The Yelamu were one of 50 independent Ohlone tribes related through culture and language. Ohlone peoples have lived in the Bay Area for several thousand years. The Yelamu, whose territory . . . — Map (db m131189) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Polytechnic High School
Founded in 1894 to teach vocational skills, it produced generations of scholars, athletes, workers, creative thinkers, and informed citizens.

The 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed the original school building at Bush and Stockton streets, and . . . — Map (db m131047) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Resisting the Twisting
Ever since the modern suspension bridge was invented in the early 1800s, one of the biggest challenges engineers have faced is preventing these flexible structures from moving too much in the wind. A storm on December 1, 1951, caused the Golden . . . — Map (db m131193) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Save the PalaceCampaigns and Close Calls
"Therefore, let us preserve our Palace of Fine Arts as long as possible, six months, six years, or any length of time — maybe someday it can be made permanent…” Willis Polk, 1915 It is difficult to contemplate San Francisco . . . — Map (db m131097) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Era of Earthworks BatteriesBattery East
Armored vessels and rifled artillery developed during the Civil War could destroy brick forts like Fort Point. As a consequence, these walled forts were replaced by earthen gun emplacements with underground ammunition magazines like Battery East, . . . — Map (db m131192) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Last Word in Airfields
U.S. Army Coast Defense Air Station From 1921 to 1936, Crissy Field was at the forefront of military air operations. Home of the U. S. Army Air Corps' Coast Defense Air Station, the site included a grassy landing strip and the barracks, offices . . . — Map (db m131187) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The PPIE ExperienceSomething For Everyone
"The coloring is so soft and wonderful. Blues and reds and greens and yellows and browns and grays are all blended into one perfect whole… It is fairyland." Laura Ingalls Wilder, West from Home. The Palace of Fine Arts is the . . . — Map (db m131099) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — The Southern Pacific RR Roundhouse
This property was the site for two locomotive roundhouses constructed by the Southern Pacific Railroad. The first stood between 1911 and 1925, when the June 25, 1929, earthquake severely damaged it. Miss Pearl Chase, of the Plans and Planting . . . — Map (db m130635) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Tympanum
The wood carving above was designed by Carleton M. Winslow and executed by Marshall Laird. At the center is the coat-of-arms of the city, on either side are figures of Plato and Aristotle. Surrounding the center are the shields of four . . . — Map (db m130660) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — De Anza Expedition1775 - 1778
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista De Anza and Party crossed this area in March 1776 en route to select sites for the Presidio and Mission of San Francisco.. — Map (db m130196) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — The First Adobe Home in Campbell
California used to be part of Spain and then Mexico. Vast ranchos were granted to worthy citizens. In 1840 Mexican Governor Juan Alvarado granted Rancho Rinconada de los Gatos (corner of the cougars) to brothers-in-law Sebastian Fabian Peralta and . . . — Map (db m130197) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — 3 — Adolfo Camarillo Heritage GroveVentura County Landmark No. 3
Across Mission Oaks Boulevard, next to the 101 Freeway, remains part of a grove of Eucalyptus trees that once lined both sides of the old two-lane El Camino Real. In 1892, Adolfo Camarillo planted 650 of these trees, which stretched from Pleasant . . . — Map (db m130636) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — Petre Ranch HouseHeritage Square
The History. Archie Petre (pronounced Peter) came to Oxnard sometime before 1910 as a younger member of an extended family that included his brother-in-law and sister, George and Mabel Austin. Coincidentally, in those early years, the . . . — Map (db m130591) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 632 E. Thompson BoulevardMitchell Block Historic District
This house, built in 1904 for Earl E. Barnes, has Classic Revival elements as seen in its flared hip roof, clapboard siding, and porch columns. The stained glass doors and windows, with the Mariposa Lily Design, are an original feature. This house . . . — Map (db m131216) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 682 East Thompson Boulevard
This house is one of eight structures comprising the Mitchell Block Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1905 by William F. Sittel who purchased the property from the Mitchell brothers, . . . — Map (db m130665) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 19 — Bard Hospital
Elizabeth Bard Memorial Hospital was built in 1902 by U.S Senator Thomas R. Bard for his brother Cephas L. Bard the County's first doctor. Dr. Bard was the hospital's first patient and died there four months after the hospital opened. This . . . — Map (db m130648) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 48 — Dacy Fazio House
Pioneer Ventura County rancher Orville A. Wadleigh built this craftsman bungalow ca. 1910 for his daughter Dacy Wadleigh Fazio, who lived in the home until her death in 1974. The adjacent carriage house/barn of board and batten construction is . . . — Map (db m130663) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 15 — Groene Building
Originally the Ventura Guarantee and Loan Company, built in the 1920's is significant for its decorative tile, three interior pastoral murals by Norman Kennedy and grillwork on the balcony. The ceiling is pre-cast plaster and painted to resemble . . . — Map (db m130653) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 70 — J.A. Day House759 East Poli Street
J. A. Day, was a prominent rancher in the Saticoy area and a local grocer. In 1889, he built this Victorian home, in the "Stick-Eastlake” style, The structure contains unique carpentry work, with a profusion of wood detail in the balusters . . . — Map (db m131214) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 52 — Sifford House
Built in 1895, this Colonial Revival home is a two-story box- shape featuring a distinctive half-circle entry onto the porch, a balcony, and a palladian window. It was occupied originally by Frank Sifford, owner of the Ventura Transfer Company, . . . — Map (db m131215) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Site of the Mayfair Theater, 1941-2000Historic Point of Interest
This site was developed in 1941 with a 7,890 square foot, one-story structure known as the "Mayfair Theater". Architect S. Charles Lee, one of the most prolific and distinguished motion picture theater designers on the West Coast, designed the . . . — Map (db m130642) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — The Flood of 1997: A Destructive Force
The low-lying Scorpion Valley has always been subject to flooding, but overgrazing by sheep increased the intensity.

One night in December 1997, over a foot of rain fell on eastern Santa Cruz Island, sending a torrent of mud and water . . . — Map (db m130657) HM

California (Ventura County), Ventura — 24 — Ventura Theatre
Ventura joined the "movie palace era” of Hollywood with the grand opening of the Ventura Theatre on August 16, 1928. This lavishly decorated Mediterranean style theatre cost $400,000 to build, and created much excitement in our oil boom . . . — Map (db m131167) HM
Colorado (Arapahoe County), Littleton — Arapahoe County Courthouse
In the early part of the 20th century, Denver served as both the state capital and the Arapahoe County seat. An amendment to the Colorado Constitution creating a new City and County of Denver was passed by Colorado voters in 1902. This left Arapahoe . . . — Map (db m130140) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Automobiles Come to Grand Lake
Automobiles Come to Grand Lake (panel 1) The number of automobiles had become so large that in 1913 the State of Colorado began issuing its first license plates. The 1915 dedication of Rocky Mountain National Park drew 2000 people, . . . — Map (db m129881) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Grand LakeElevation 8367
The largest natural lake in Colorado Formed by glaciation 30,000 years ago Long known as the headwaters of the Colorado River. It is included in the Colorado-Big Thompson Project. Water from here flows through the “Adams Tunnel” to Estes . . . — Map (db m129892) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Bay Window Cottage
The Smith Eslick Bay Window Cottage was built by the Eslick's youngest child, Loren, in 1933 when he was 26 years old. It was intended to be a check-in and store for the guests staying at the Cottage Court and other Smith and Eslick family cabins . . . — Map (db m129884) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Smith-Eslick Cottage Camp
Entrepreneur P.H. Smith brought his family to Grand County from Kansas. In 1893 he started a sawmill in Grand Lake and acquired several local properties. A skillful craftsman, P.H. Smith built many significant structures, including the Grand . . . — Map (db m129883) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — The Smith-Eslick Family
The Smith Eslick Family (panel 1) Entrepreneur P.H. Smith brought his family to Grand County from Kansas. In 1893 he started a sawmill in Grand Lake and acquired several local properties. A skillful craftsman, P.H. Smith built many . . . — Map (db m129880) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Grand Lake — Why Did They Come?
It's said that Grand Lake has always had tourists. Even the original visitors, the Ute and Arapaho for example, would come in the summer to hunt and fish in the largest natural lake in Colorado, but would leave when winter approached. Then, as now, . . . — Map (db m129882) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Winter Park — Berthoud Pass
Berthoud Pass Across the Continental Divide between South Platte and Colorado River drainages Altitude 11,314 Feet Discovered by Capt. E.L. Berthoud Colorado pioneer May 12, 1861. Surveyed by Berthoud and Jim Bridger July, 1861. Toll Road . . . — Map (db m129889) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Estes Park — Gore Range
Terra Tomah Mountain • 12,718ft (3877m) Mt. Julian • 12,928ft (3940m) Mt. Cracktop • 12,760ft (3889m) Mt. Ida • 12,880ft (3926m) Baker Mountain • 12,397ft (3779m) Mt. Stratus • 12,480ft (3804m) Mt. Nimbus • . . . — Map (db m129894) HM
Colorado (Sedgwick County), Julesburg — Overland City (Julesburg) Pony Express Riders
(left panel) The Pony Express route was used for a little more than 19 months from April 3, 1860 to November 20, 1861. Those known and verified riders of the 1860-1861 Pony Express that used “Overland City” (first Julesburg) as . . . — Map (db m130331) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Korean War Veterans Memorial
Korean War Veterans Memorial Dedication June 28, 2000 War started June 25, 1950 — Map (db m130459) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Smyrna-Clayton Veterans Memorial
Smyrna — Clayton honors their men and women who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States — Map (db m130458) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — St. Peter's Episcopal Church
St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Smyrna Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m130457) HM

1008 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 808
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.