Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

372 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 172
 
Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic Marker
Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican ChurchHistoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 9

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's

Vers 1784, les premiers Loyalistes (citoyens restés fidèles à la couronne britannique après l'indépendance américaine) viennent s'installer sur les côtes de la Baie des . . . — Map (db m131191) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — John Millington Synge, 1871-1909Irischer Dramatiker - Irish Dramatist
Wohnte hier während seines Musikstudiums an der Königlichen Musikschule im Jahre 1894.

Lived here in 1894 while studying at the Royal School of Music. — Map (db m131178) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Georg Simon Ohm
Entdeckte in diesem Haus als Lehrer am alten Kölnischen Gymnasium im Jahre 1826 das Grundgesetz der elekrischen Ströme. Die Hansestadt Köln weihte dem grossen Physiker zum 16 Maerz 1939 seinem 150 Geburtstage diesem . . . — Map (db m131172) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Merida), Mérida — El Chemulpo
El Chemulpo Esta esquina debe su nombre a un salón expendedor de cerveza y licores finos, que abrió en el predio número 483 el St.Eduardo Graham, entre los años 1910 y 1912. El vocablo "Chemulpo" es el nombre de un puerto de Japón; . . . — Map (db m130798) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "La Plancha" and Railway Station
La Plancha y Ferrocarriles La estación del Ferrocarril situada en el cruzamiento de las calles 48 y 55 fue proyectada por el arquitecto Carlos J.S. Hall y construida entre 1913 y 1920. Es considerada quizá el único ejemplo en Mérida . . . — Map (db m131007) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Nuns"Tempło Expiatorio de Nuestra Señora de la Consolación
Las Monjas Poco tiempo después de iniciada la construcción de la Catedral, se comenzó la edificación de este significativo convento (edificio situado al frente y norte de esta cédula) que se dedicaría a las monjas Concepcionistas, . . . — Map (db m131086) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Augusto Cárdenas Pinelo
En esta casa nacio el dia 2 de diciembre de 1905 el trovador romántico Augusto Cardenas Pinelo (Gutty) Homenaje a iniciativa de “Caricaturas” bajo el patrimonio del Club Escuela Modelo y Trovadores Yucatecos junio de 1932 . . . — Map (db m131083) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Colegio Montejo Annex
Aquí se fundó el Colegio Montejo “Anexo”, el 2 de septiembre de 1941, donde también funcionó el primer centro colectivo de alfabetización para adultos, a iniciativa del Mtro. Dr. Jose E. Santana Robles, con la colaboración . . . — Map (db m131106) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Diesel Electric Locomotive FUS 412
Locomotora Diesel Electrica F.U.S. 412 Llegó a México en 1939 como SCOP 7442-4. Trabajó en el Ferrocarril Tijuana Tecate, después en el Ferrocarril Sonora Baja California y en los años 50’s en F.U.S. English . . . — Map (db m130972) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Diesel Electric Locomotive S-BC 2201
Locomotora Diesel Electrica S-BC 2201 Modelo General Motor’s EMD F7A. Llegó nueva en 1949 para el Ferrocarril Sonora – Baja California, trabajando hasta 1980 English translation: Diesel Electric Locomotive . . . — Map (db m130945) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — 'Dragons' Quarters
Cuartel de Dragones El antiguo inmueble original fue construido probablemente en 1746. A petición del entonces gobernador Don Alonso de Benavides Bazán y Molina, el Ayuntamiento donó el terreno a los frailes franciscanos a fin de . . . — Map (db m131008) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Eligio Ancona Castillo
Homenaje al Benemérito del Estado que vivió en este predio Lic. Eligio Ancona Castillo (1835-1893) Ilustre historiador, prócer de las letras, combativo periodista, destacado jurista y político liberal, federalista y rebublicano. . . . — Map (db m131082) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Folk Art Museum
Museo de Arte Popular El inmueble, conocido como "Casa Molina" por el apellido de sus últimos propietarios particulares es un palacete de dos plantas con acabados externos de estilo ecléctico académico, almohadillado en tablas eń . . . — Map (db m131074) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Former Convent dedicated to Our Lady of Transit o de La Mejorada
Ex Convento de Nuestra Señora del Tránsito o de La Mejorada Patrimonio de la Nación Este conjunto tiene su origen en una construcción franciscana del Siglo XVII, conjunto que se desarrolló en dos etapas: primero la iglesia (1640) y . . . — Map (db m131012) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Fotografía Guerra
En esta casa estuvo el ultimo gran local de la Fotografia Guerra Fundada en 1877 por D. Pedro Guerra Jordan al que sucedio D. Pedro Guerra Aguilar Patronato Pro Historia Peninsular, A.C. H. Ayuntamiento de Mérida . . . — Map (db m131085) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Héctor Victoria Aguilar
Héctor Victoria Aguilar Ferrocarrilero y Diputado al Congreso Constituyente de Queretaro en 1917. 1971 Parque Artículo 123 English translation: Héctor Victoria Aguilar Railroad worker and Deputy to the . . . — Map (db m130829) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — José Jacinto Cuevas Barrera
En esta casa vivió José Jacinto Cuevas Barrera (1821-1878) Padre y prócer de la musica yucatanense, fundador del Conservatorio de Música y Declamación y creador de la musica del himno yucateco. Centro Cultural Prohispen A.C. . . . — Map (db m131089) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — José Rendón Peniche
Don Jose Rendon Peniche 1829-1887 Pionero del sistema ferroviario en Yucatan Constructor de la Via Ancha Merida – Progreso de 1875 a 1881 Benemerito del Estado H. Ayuntamiento de Merida Diciembre de 1986 Al conmemorarse 100 . . . — Map (db m130942) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Juan F. Molina Solís
Al insigne historiador Lic. Juan F. Molina Solis Fallecio en esta casa el 24 de julio de 1932. In memoriam English translation: The distinguished historian Lic. Juan F. Molina Solis Died in this house on July . . . — Map (db m131049) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Juan Gamboa Guzmán
En este lugar estuvo la casa donde falleció el pintor yucateco Juan Gamboa Guzmán el 19 de abril de 1892 Mérida, Yuc., 23 de Octubre de 2002 Centro INAH Yucatán. Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia . . . — Map (db m131092) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Leopoldo Peniche Vallado
En esta casa vivió y falleció Leopoldo Peniche Vallado (1908-2000) Destacado periodista, dramaturgo y ensayista yucateco. Patronato Pro Historia Peninsular, A.C. H. Ayuntamiento de Mérida English . . . — Map (db m130724) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Monsignor Norberto Domínguez
Monseñor Norberto Dominguez Dean de la Santa Iglesia Catedral, Prbto. Notario Apostólico, Prelado Doméstico y Camarero de Honor de su Santidad, nació en Mérida el 5 de junio de 1832 Murió santamente en ésta ciudad el 12 de mayo de . . . — Map (db m131098) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Monument to the Children Heroes of Chapultepec
Murieron por la Patria A los Niños Heroes de Chapultepec de 1847 Merida, Yuc. 1970. Estoy seguro de que mañana moriremos Juan Crisostomo Cano y Cano a Andres Quintana Roo. Chapultepec Septiembre 12 de 1847 Asociacion del Heroico . . . — Map (db m131056) WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — 123 — Museum and Art Gallery Juan Gamboa Guzmán
Pinacoteca “Juan Gamboa Guzmán” Museo Pinacoteca Juan Gamboa Guzmán Historia de la pintura colonial y del siglo XIX en Yucatán Ex sacristía de la “Iglesia del Jesús” Monumento histórico del siglo XVII INAH . . . — Map (db m131075) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Neighborhood of La Mejorada
Barrio de La Mejorada Debe su nombre al convento franciscano de Nuestra Señora del Tránsito o de La Mejorada del siglo XVII. Esta construcción ha tenido usos muy diversos, como Hospital, Escuela de Artes y Oficios }, Prefectura de . . . — Map (db m131036) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Passenger Car 1552
El coche 1552 construido por Pullman Standar Car. En 1926 perteneció al Ferrocarril Southern Pacific, Estados Unidos. English translation: Passenger Car 1552 The car 1552 was constructed by Pullman-Standard Car . . . — Map (db m130867) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Passenger Car 4285
Coche de Pasajeros FNM 4285 Construido de aluminio por la Compañía Canadiense Hawker Siddeley para Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico (FNM), con un total de 60 coches de primera clase y 140 de segunda clase. El pedido de 200 carros . . . — Map (db m130974) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Railroad Station
Estación de Ferrocarriles Fue construida entre 1913 y 1920 por el arquitecto Carlos J. S. Hall y es considerada quizá el único ejemplo en Mérida del llamado “primer estilo neocolonial” que obedecía a una tendencia . . . — Map (db m130805) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Old Rendón Peniche Sanitorium
Antiguo Sanatorio Rendón Peniche Construido en 1920 English translation: The Old Rendón Peniche Sanatorium Built in 1920 — Map (db m130850) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Orphanage
El Orfanatorio Toma el nombre de la antigua pensión para infantes que se instaló en un inmueble construido en terrenos que pertenecieron al convento de monjas concepcionistas. La dueña de este orfanato particular situado en el número . . . — Map (db m131081) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The San Juan Arch
Arco de San Juan Hoy conocido como “de San Juan” y originalmente como “Arco de San Cristóbal” se encuentra en la antigua salida al Camino Real a Campeche. Es el de mayores dimensiones de los tres que hoy . . . — Map (db m131124) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida|), Mérida — Julia Dominga Febles y Cantón
Aquí vivió y murió Julia Dominga Febles y Cantón (1870-1940) Ilustre poeta y periodista "Julia", los críticos españoles la consideraron una poetisa de las mas importantes de América en su tiempo. agosto 2008 Patronato Pro . . . — Map (db m131084) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Yucatán), Mérida — Steam Locomotive
Locomotora de Vapor Construida en EE.UU en septiembre de 1903 Steam Locomotive Constructed in the United States in September of 1903. — Map (db m130970) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Christ Church & Its Meadow
Christ Church & Its Meadow Christ Church, on your right, was founded in 1525 by Cardinal Wolsey and is one of the University's best known colleges. Its chapel is the city's cathedral and contains the shrine of Oxford's patron saint, St Frideswide. . . . — Map (db m130820) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Cornmarket & Market St
Cornmarket & Market St Cornmarket is a busy modern shopping street that has been a main road since Saxon times. It was formerly known as Northgate Street after the gate in the city wall which stood beside the Saxon tower of St Michael's Church . . . — Map (db m130817) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Hythe Bridge Street
Hythe Bridge Street Hythe Bridge Street dates back to at least 1233 when it provided access across the Castle Mill Stream, a branch of the river Thames, to two of Oxford's great abbeys. Sadly, there are now only a few traces of Osney Abbey (founded . . . — Map (db m130816) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Colonia Italiana 1888-The Beautiful Forest / The Founding Fathers of the Italian Colony
Colonia Italiana 1888-The Beautiful Forest In 1888, Alesandro Mastro-Valerio, realizing the plight of fellow Italian immigrants living and working in hazardous conditions in many northern states, bought land here to attract colonists. He . . . — Map (db m130913) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Orange Beach — Bay Circle
Front This area, located along the southern shore of Wolf Bay, was the original 'Downtown' of Orange Beach. Beginning in the 1870's, the two schooners of James C. Callaway anchored near here in the deep-water Boat Basin. The . . . — Map (db m130682) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Sonora Community / Sonora School and Community Hall
Sonora Community The community of Sonora was named in 1901 by the wife of the first postmaster, G.L. Sharretts. Situated near Red Hill Ford on Baker Branch and the intersection of travel routes between Silverhill, Magnolia Springs, Marlow . . . — Map (db m130878) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Summerdale / Summerdale's Turpentine Still
Summerdale The Summerdale area was settled in the early 1850's by several families of Scotch and Irish descent. By 1900, the town had a church, a saw mill, a turpentine business, and a hotel. Many families of different nationalities moved . . . — Map (db m130868) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Andalusia — Dixon Home Place / History of the Dixon Home
Dixon Home Place Four generations of Dixons, each promoting the management of trees as a renewable resource, made their living in forestry on this ground thereby contributing significantly to Alabama’s economy and forest industry. . . . — Map (db m130670) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Atmore — Watson Cabin
Built in Wilcox County, Alabama 1845 this ancestral home of the Watson family was donated to Leadership Atmore in 1999. In memory of Rupert Basil Watson 1905 – 1981 — Map (db m130677) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Pilgrims' Rest Cemetery
This cemetery was established in 1854 when Pilgrims' Rest Baptist Church was founded across the road on September 17 in that same year. The cemetery remained prominent in Alco even though the original congregation moved and Alco Methodist Church . . . — Map (db m130672) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Second Saint Siloam Missionary Baptist ChurchConstructed June 10, 1910
On November 5, 1909, a group of worshipers gathered in the Congregational Church on the corner of St. Joseph and Evergreen Streets and organized the Second Saint Siloam Missionary Baptist Church. On June 10, 1910, the Second Saint Siloam Missionary . . . — Map (db m130671) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — The Robbins & McGowin Building
Truly an Escambia County landmark, Robbins and McGowin Co. organized in March 1897 with the consolidation of the J. I. Robbins and J. G. McGowin Stores, the millinery of Miss L. A. Cunningham, the Blacksher-Miller Commissary, and the J. E. Finlay . . . — Map (db m130673) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Damascus — Damascus Travelers Well
Damascus Travelers Well (construction date unknown) was originally a public water well offering refreshment and rest for travelers and their animals passing through this area. The Damascus community also benefited from this well. Mr. and Mrs. N. W. . . . — Map (db m130668) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Pollard — Francis B. Bonifay Law Office
This is the site of Francis B. "Frank" Bonifay's law office. Bonifay was the first Probate Judge of Escambia County Alabama 1869 - 1870. Jesse Howard was elected in 1871 and served for a short time but resigned and Bonifay served from 1870 - 1874. . . . — Map (db m130674) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Pollard — Pollard Station
William Henry Chase, a Massachusetts born captain in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers came to Pensacola, Florida in 1826 to supervise the construction of the network of harbor fortifications for the defense of the newly authorized Navy Yard. His . . . — Map (db m130676) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lowry House
John Lowry moved his family from Virginia and purchased land on Meridianville Pike in 1809. He was the contractor for Madison County's first courthouse in 1811. His grandson, John Tate Lowry, a leading merchant with Lowry, Hamilton and Company, . . . — Map (db m130812) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — Allen English HomeAdobe Home Built in 1882
Born in Saginaw, Mich., in 1860, English, a law graduate, moved to Tombstone in 1880. He first worked as a miner, then became a partner in Smith & Goodrich law firm. He also served 3 terms as Cochise County District Attorney. English's . . . — Map (db m131100) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 41 — HoptownChinese Section — 1879
In 1879 there were 11 people in Tombstone of Chinese descent. By 1882 there were 250. The area between 2nd and 3rd and Allen and Toughnut was the area where they lived and had businesses, commonly called "Hoptown". The Chinese ran laundries, . . . — Map (db m131096) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 37 — Million Dollar Stope
At 1:00 p.m. on April 21st, 1907, the "Million Dollar Stope" was created when the Good Enough Stope caved in dropping a horse and wagon 75' into a gaping hole. The driver had climbed down to see why his horse had stumbled only to find himself . . . — Map (db m131088) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 37a — The Mines of Tombstone
Tombstone was a mining town. Everything that happened here happened because of the lure of the silver and gold found by Ed Schieffelin in the hills of Tombstone in 1877. And so they came, the prospectors, laborers, miners, lawmen, “shady . . . — Map (db m131095) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — The FortReplica of Sutter’s Fort — Erected in 1940 A.D.
Constructed on the basic plan of Sutter’s original fort one hundred years after its erection in Sacramento by that distinguished pioneer Captain John Augustus Sutter. The building of this replica of one of the most outstanding landmarks to the early . . . — Map (db m130655) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — 92 — Old Santa Susana Stage Road‘Devil’s Slide’
Old Santa Susana Stage Road, 1859-90. Marked March 17 1939, Native Daughters of the Golden West, Topango Parlor 269. — Map (db m131208) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1934: The Night of the Long KnivesHolocaust Monument
In violation of the Treaty of Versailles, Germany initiated an ambitious military rearmament program to restore its military strength; covert air reconnaissance missions commenced. Germany began to secure its national borders. On January 26, . . . — Map (db m130810) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 72 — Automobile Club Headquarters
Automobile Club of Southern California; headquarters building of the pioneer motoring club; founded 1900; built in Spanish Colonial style. — Map (db m131042) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Invention of the Cheeseburger
On this site in 1924, sixteen year-old Lionel Sternberger first put cheese on a hamburger and served it to a customer, thereby inventing the cheeseburger. The 'Aristocratic Burger' at the Rite Spot is the first instance of a hamburger with cheese . . . — Map (db m131006) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — World’s First Flying Automobile
From 1935-1938 at this location pioneer aviator and inventor Waldo Waterman created the most successful of his “roadable aircraft,” the Arrowbile, which had the capability to fly in the sky and drive on the street. — Map (db m131020) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — Don Gaspar de Portolá“Don Gaspor Portola“
Don Gaspor Portola with 60 men camped here July 31, 1769 on his first exploring route from San Diego to Monterey. — Map (db m130638) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Daring Pilots, Youthful Heroes
The 91st Observation Squadron Crissy Field was home to many daring pilots who made their mark on aviation history. Among these famous flyers were Major Dana H. Crissy, who died in a crash attempting to fly to the East Coast from here, and Major . . . — Map (db m131186) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Homeland of the Yelamu
The Native People of the Peninsula The Yelamu were one of 50 independent Ohlone tribes related through culture and language. Ohlone peoples have lived in the Bay Area for several thousand years. The Yelamu, whose territory . . . — Map (db m131189) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Polytechnic High School
Founded in 1894 to teach vocational skills, it produced generations of scholars, athletes, workers, creative thinkers, and informed citizens.

The 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed the original school building at Bush and Stockton streets, and . . . — Map (db m131047) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Resisting the Twisting
Ever since the modern suspension bridge was invented in the early 1800s, one of the biggest challenges engineers have faced is preventing these flexible structures from moving too much in the wind. A storm on December 1, 1951, caused the Golden . . . — Map (db m131193) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Save the PalaceCampaigns and Close Calls
"Therefore, let us preserve our Palace of Fine Arts as long as possible, six months, six years, or any length of time — maybe someday it can be made permanent…” Willis Polk, 1915 It is difficult to contemplate San Francisco . . . — Map (db m131097) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Era of Earthworks BatteriesBattery East
Armored vessels and rifled artillery developed during the Civil War could destroy brick forts like Fort Point. As a consequence, these walled forts were replaced by earthen gun emplacements with underground ammunition magazines like Battery East, . . . — Map (db m131192) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Last Word in Airfields
U.S. Army Coast Defense Air Station From 1921 to 1936, Crissy Field was at the forefront of military air operations. Home of the U. S. Army Air Corps' Coast Defense Air Station, the site included a grassy landing strip and the barracks, offices . . . — Map (db m131187) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The PPIE ExperienceSomething For Everyone
"The coloring is so soft and wonderful. Blues and reds and greens and yellows and browns and grays are all blended into one perfect whole… It is fairyland." Laura Ingalls Wilder, West from Home. The Palace of Fine Arts is the . . . — Map (db m131099) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 632 E. Thompson BoulevardMitchell Block Historic District
This house, built in 1904 for Earl E. Barnes, has Classic Revival elements as seen in its flared hip roof, clapboard siding, and porch columns. The stained glass doors and windows, with the Mariposa Lily Design, are an original feature. This house . . . — Map (db m131216) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 70 — J.A. Day House759 East Poli Street
J. A. Day, was a prominent rancher in the Saticoy area and a local grocer. In 1889, he built this Victorian home, in the "Stick-Eastlake” style, The structure contains unique carpentry work, with a profusion of wood detail in the balusters . . . — Map (db m131214) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 52 — Sifford House
Built in 1895, this Colonial Revival home is a two-story box- shape featuring a distinctive half-circle entry onto the porch, a balcony, and a palladian window. It was occupied originally by Frank Sifford, owner of the Ventura Transfer Company, . . . — Map (db m131215) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 24 — Ventura Theatre
Ventura joined the "movie palace era” of Hollywood with the grand opening of the Ventura Theatre on August 16, 1928. This lavishly decorated Mediterranean style theatre cost $400,000 to build, and created much excitement in our oil boom . . . — Map (db m131167) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Albert Gallatin Lewis
With deep gratitude for their commitment to education and service, the University of Delaware recognizes Albert Gallatin Lewis, his family and heirs, on whose land this building was built as a schoolhouse in 1884. — Map (db m131156) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Alumni Hall
[Left plaque] Alumni Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places [Right plaque] Alumni Hall Erected before 1810 — Map (db m131117) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941)
Some say the stars shine just a bit brighter over Cannon Hall, a residence hall built in 1952 and named for noted astronomer Annie Jump Cannon. As curator of the Harvard College Observatory, Dr. Cannon classified 350,000 stars and discovered . . . — Map (db m131155) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Beatrice Hartshorn (1897-1972)
Beatrice Hartshorn joined the Women's College at the University of Delaware in 1925 as head of the physical education program, which at the time consisted of rudimentary exercises and games. Miss Hartshorn, who served on the University faculty . . . — Map (db m131151) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Dr. Walter J. Hullihen (1875-1944)President of the University of Delaware, 1920-44
Under President Hullihen's leadership, the two colleges known as Delaware College and the Women's College were officially joined and became known as the University of Delaware in 1921. Two years later, Hullihen inaugurated the internationally . . . — Map (db m131101) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — E. A. Trabant University Center
This building is named in honor of E. Arthur Trabant, who served two terms as President of the University of Delaware: 1968-87 and 1988-90. During his presidency, enrollment at the University doubled, the Laird Campus was developed, the University . . . — Map (db m131143) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Elliott Hall
Elliott Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131138) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Emalea Pusey Warner (1853-1948)
Emalea Pusey Warner was one of the most influential women in the history of the University of Delaware. She was the first woman appointed to its Board of Trustees, serving from 1928-42. The project closest to Mrs. Warner's heart was the . . . — Map (db m131148) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Abram Harter (1853-1943)
George Abram Harter served as President of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, from 1896 to 1914. A quiet scholar who enjoyed teaching, he was an administrator respected for his unwavering dedication to the college. Under his . . . — Map (db m131114) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Evans House
George Evans House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Erected in 1863 — Map (db m131140) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Gillespie Evans (1815-1904)Charles Black Evans (1866-1933)
Delaware College, now University of Delaware, might have been a financial casualty of the Civil War period except for the assistance of George Gillespie Evans, a Newark merchant. Indeed, Delaware College did close for 11 years before, during and . . . — Map (db m131107) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944)
A New Englander born into modest means, Harry Fletcher Brown was a chemist who developed smokeless powder. In 1904, he joined the Du Pont Company and later became a benefactor of education and social services. Mr. Brown was an intense, . . . — Map (db m131094) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944)
During the height of the Great Depression, Harry Fletcher Brown first came to the aid of the University of Delaware and, over the next decade, became one of the University's most generous benefactors, financing construction of Brown Laboratory, . . . — Map (db m131115) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966)
An 1988 graduate of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, Hugh Martin Morris was one of Delaware's most distinguished jurists, serving as a Wilmington attorney and, from 1919-30, as a U.S. District Judge for Delaware. A member of . . . — Map (db m131146) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)
H. Rodney Sharp was only 16 when he entered Delaware College in 1896, and he graduated four years later in what was termed the "Class of aughty-aught." In 1915, he was appointed a Trustee. Mr. Sharp was deeply loyal to his alma mater. He . . . — Map (db m131111) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)
Born in Sussex County, Del., Hugh Rodney Sharp spent four happy years at Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, graduating in 1900 at the age of 20. He went on to become a successful business executive, a University Trustee and one of the . . . — Map (db m131113) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In Memoriam
To the men of the University of Delaware who died in the service of their country during World War II [Names not transcribed]Map (db m131103) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In Memoriam
To the students of the University of Delaware who died in the service of their country during Asian Conflicts. Bird, Leonard A. '66 — Vietnam Flaherty, Kevin G. '63 — Vietnam Johnson, James R., Jr. '56 — Vietnam Lowdon, . . . — Map (db m131145) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Jastak-Burgess HallSarah Jastak-Burgess ('54 M.A., '63 Ph.D.) — Leslie M. Burgess
Jastak-Burgess Hall, home of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, is named in honor of psychologist Dr. Sara Jastak-Burgess and Leslie M. Burgess ('43 B.S. UC Berkeley, '61 MBA Harvard). Their generous gifts in support of this . . . — Map (db m131134) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — John A. Munroe ('36 B.A., '41 M.A.)
This building is named for renowned scholar John A. Munroe an authority on Delaware history and the author of many books, including a history of the University. After receiving his bachelor's and master's degrees from Delaware, he joined the history . . . — Map (db m131144) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — John A. Perkins Student Center
This building was named for John A. Perkins (1914-82), who served as President of the University of Delaware from 1950-67. His tenure marked one of the greatest periods of growth in the history of the University, with the undergraduate enrollment . . . — Map (db m131091) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Kent HallKent Dining Hall
Kent Resident Hall, constructed in 1956, is named after Kent County, located in the central part of Delaware and home of the First State's capital city of Dover. The adjoining Kent Dining Hall predates the residence hall by 31 years. The . . . — Map (db m131153) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Laurel Hall
This building is named for the small southern Delaware town of Laurel, the birthplace of Mary Wooten Carpenter. Her Husband, Walter S. Carpenter, Jr., who served as President of the University of Delaware Board of Trustees from 1959-62, supported . . . — Map (db m131149) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Mechanical Hall
Mechanical Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131137) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — New Castle Hall
This residence hall is named for the northernmost of Delaware's three counties, New Castle County. The City of Newark lies within its boundaries. The dormitory was constructed with state funding in 1925, in response to the expansion of the . . . — Map (db m131154) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Pierre Samuel du Pont (1870-1954)
Pierre S. du Pont can fairly be described as the founder of the modern University of Delaware. In 1915, he donated the money to purchase the land that is now The Green, which physically unified Delaware College and Women's College. President of . . . — Map (db m131108) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Professor Theodore Wolf (1850-1909)
In 1871, Theodore Wolf joined Delaware College as a 21-year-old Professor of Chemistry, fresh from receiving his doctorate at the University of Heidelberg, Germany. Professor Wolf was a demanding but innovative and popular teacher. He worked to . . . — Map (db m131112) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Raub Hall
Raub Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131139) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Recitation Hall
Recitation Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131141) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Recitation Hall Annex
. . . — Map (db m131142) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Rev. Dr. Francis Alison (1705-1779)
Francis Alison came to America from Ireland in 1735 and served as a Presbyterian minister in New London, Pennsylvania, from 1736-52. In 1743, he started a free school there to which the University of Delaware traces its origin. His first class, . . . — Map (db m131093) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Robert W. Gore, B.ChE., 1959Sally Gore, M.Ed., 1976 — Genevieve Gore
Robert ("Bob") Gore was a University of Delaware undergraduate studying chemical engineering when he invented GoreTexⓇ. This polymer material became key to the success of W.L. Gore and Associates, a company that Bob's father, Wilbert L. Gore, . . . — Map (db m131110) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Samuel Chiles Mitchell (1864-1948)
In 1914, Samuel Chiles Mitchell was elected the 16th President of what was then known as Delaware College, now the University of Delaware. During his six-year tenure as President, the Women's College was opened; the central campus was planned; . . . — Map (db m131105) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Squire Hall
Squire Hall is named for Francis Hagar Squire, a popular Professor of History at the University from 1927-56, who also served as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1945-56. Professor Squire helped establish the master's degree . . . — Map (db m131150) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Sussex Hall
This residence hall is named after Delaware's southernmost county and is one of the oldest buildings on the south Green. Sussex Hall was completed in 1917 and was built with an appropriation from the Delaware General Assembly. It was the second . . . — Map (db m131152) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — University of DelawareA Brief History — The Green Campus Buildings
The University of Delaware traces its origins to a school founded by the Rev. Francis Alison in 1743, which later became the Academy of Newark. In 1833, the state of Delaware chartered its first institute of higher education, called Newark . . . — Map (db m131102) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955)
Wilbur Owen Sypherd served as President of the University from 1944-46, and his administration accomplished much, including a major reorganization of the University's administrative structure, reinstituting coeducation and strengthening the . . . — Map (db m131116) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Winifred J. Robinson (1867-1962)
When Winifred J. Robinson became the first Dean of the Women's College in 1914, the school consisted of a muddy field and two buildings under construction on what is now the south lawn of The Green. Dr. Robinson visited every Delaware high . . . — Map (db m131147) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Delaware World War I Memorial
Erected in honor of the Soldiers and Sailors of Delaware who served in the World War 1917-1918 — Map (db m131169) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — H. Fletcher Brown: The Man and the Vocational School
In 1938 the Wilmington Board of Education proudly dedicated a new vocational high school on the northwest corner of Market and 14th Streets. State and city dignitaries attended the ceremony that officially opened a school that for the next three . . . — Map (db m131160) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 70 years ago from this spot
Created during the Great Depression, this garden's first plants were 670 roses donated by Mr. Jasper Crane. In 2001, the Friends of Wilmington Parks began restoration to return the garden to its original state. — Map (db m131157) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
Brandywine Park was created to give urban residents relief from city living and working conditions. A young woman is pictured sitting atop an outcropping of Brandywine Blue Rock in 1897. — Map (db m131158) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
In this photo from about 1913, park visitors enjoy the ice along with their dogs. A series of cold winters made ice skating on the Brandywine River a popular pastime. The dam pictured is the remnant of an early mill in Wilmington. — Map (db m131163) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......more than 100 years ago from this spot
The Sugar Bowl, built in 1902, was so named because of its lid-like domed roof. It was used as a concert site and venue for community programs. The Sugar Bowl eventually fell into disrepair and was reduced to a plaza and chain link fence. . . . — Map (db m131165) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 50 years ago from this spot
The Josephine Fountain has been drawing visitors to Brandywine Park since the 1930s. The fountain was built in honor of Mrs. Josephine Tatnall Smith who enjoyed walking through the park. Here families and couples enjoy a cool spring day in the . . . — Map (db m131170) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — McKinleyPresident — March•4•1897 — Sept•14•1901
President Governor Member of Congress Major Captain Lieutenant Sergeant — Map (db m131162) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — New Castle County Vietnam Memorial
New Castle County Honors the Delawareans Who Served in Vietnam [Plaque 1:] Robert P. Acher, Jr. James R. Adams Thomas B. Adams George L. Aikin Robert D. Alexander Douglas D. Alley Francis B. Amoroso Charles R. . . . — Map (db m131166) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Old Soldiers' Park
Early in the 1890s, Civil War Union veterans claimed a small corner of Brandywine Park as a place to congregate in good weather. The familiar sight of the old soldiers sitting regularly in that area led people to call the spot "Old Soldiers' Park." . . . — Map (db m131159) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-225 — Washington Street Bridge
The Washington Street bridge, completed in 1921, was dedicated to the "sons of Delaware who joined forces of their country in The Great War" on Memorial Day, 1922. The 250 foot, open spandrel arch bridge serves as a lasting and rare example of . . . — Map (db m131164) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 2 — Meridian Hill/Malcolm X ParkRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Long before Europeans arrived, Meridian Hill was a sacred place for Native Americans. As recently as 1992, a delegation of Native Americans walked across the continent to this park to mourn the 500th anniversary of Columbus’s arrival. They were . . . — Map (db m130706) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 1 — Mrs. Henderson's LegacyRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
As you look up the hill, you can see Peter C. L’Enfant’s 1791 plan for Washington ended up here in front of you at Boundary Avenue, now Florida Avenue. Back then, when people walked or rode in horse-drawn vehicles, it was hard to climb this steep . . . — Map (db m130707) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 11 — Walter Pierce ParkRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
The Rock Creek Valley, once home to Native Americans, had attracted European settlers by 1703. Before he became president in 1825, John Quincy Adams purchased Adams Mills on Rock Creek from his cousin. The mills, just down the hill, processed flour . . . — Map (db m130713) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 12 — A Spirit of CommunityTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
Episcopalians first gathered here to worship in 1874, when St. Alban's Church, located on Wisconsin Avenue and Massachusetts, started a mission for the area. In good weather, services took place under a majestic oak tree on land donated by . . . — Map (db m130927) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 17 — American UniversityTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
Beyond Ward Circle to your left is the campus of American University, chartered by Congress in 1893. Methodist Bishop John Fletcher Hurst guided the university’s development as a center for training future public servants. With its schools in . . . — Map (db m130932) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 1 — Beer, Popcorn, and Penny CandyTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
Suburban shopping arrived in Tenleytown when Sears, Roebuck & Co. erected a Moderne style store here in 1941. The sleek façade demonstrated the latest in department store design. Sears was the second Tenleytown business — after Giant . . . — Map (db m130918) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 15 — For the ChildrenTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
From 1927 until the late 1950s, the landscaped grounds across the street were the Hillcrest Children’s Center. It was founded downtown in 1814 as the Washington City Orphan Asylum by Marcia Burnes Van Ness and President Madison’s wife Dolley. . . . — Map (db m130930) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 7 — In Touch with the WorldTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
“Tenley Tower,” behind you, dates from the mid-1940s. Western Union Telegraph Co. built it as part of an experimental system using microwaves to transmit telegrams in the mid-Atlantic region. This new technology helped erase . . . — Map (db m130925) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 14 — On the CircleTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
In the 1930s city engineers created Tenley Circle where commuters heading cross-town or downtown changed streetcars. Across the street and to the left of Tenley Circle, a surviving strip of historic Grant Road meets Wisconsin Avenue. In the . . . — Map (db m130929) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 10 — Set in StoneTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Heritage Trail
You are standing on the west side of Mt. Airy, a subdivision spanning Wisconsin Avenue laid out in the late 1890s. Mt. Airy evolved into a dense, working-class neighborhood, where policemen and dairymen lived in modest houses. Among them . . . — Map (db m130926) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 13 — To the RescueTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
The brick building across the street opened in 1928 as the Convent of Bon Secours (literally, “good help”). The convent’s sisters had arrived in Baltimore from France in 1881. In Baltimore they quietly nursed both wealthy and needy . . . — Map (db m130928) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 16 — Winning the WarTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
The U.S. Navy arrived across the street at 3801 Nebraska Avenue during World War II, taking the Colonial style red-brick campus of Mount Vernon Seminary for secret “essential wartime activities.” Soon more than 5,000 workers . . . — Map (db m130931) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — Frederick Douglass's Rustic RetreatFrederick Douglass National Historic Site — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Where do you go when you do not want to be disturbed? Frederick Douglass came to this tiny stone cabin that he called the Growlery. Coined by Charles Dickens, the word "Growlery" literally means a place to growl. Douglass kept his Growlery . . . — Map (db m130979) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 1 — Edge of the RowTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
America’s oldest navy and marine installations are just blocks from where you are standing. This is the northern edge of a Capitol Hill community shaped by the presence of the U.S. military. Eighth Street is its commercial center. The . . . — Map (db m130729) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 5 — Oldest Post of the CorpsTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
On your left is Marine Barracks Washington, D.C., the oldest continuously manned post in the U.S. Marine Corps. The installation was originally designed by architect George Hadfield in 1801 with a central parade ground and housing for 500 . . . — Map (db m130737) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 3 — SwampoodleHub, Home, Heart — — Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —
This is the western edge of what once was the rough, working-class Swampoodle neighborhood. In the early days the marshy Tiber Creek ran between what are now North Capitol and First Streets, NE. Legend has it that lingering rain puddles . . . — Map (db m130581) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 10 — Washington Navy Yard: Maker of WeaponsTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
The white brick wall in front of you marks the original northern boundary of the Navy Yard. The yard grew from its original 12 acres to 128 acres at its peak in 1962. In 2003 it consisted of 73 acres with 55 acres making up the adjacent . . . — Map (db m130739) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 9 — Washington Navy Yard: Serving the FleetTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
In front of you is the main gate of the Washington Navy Yard, established in 1799. It is the U.S. Navy's oldest shore facility in continuous use. Over time, workers here have built and repaired ships and their fittings, designed and developed . . . — Map (db m130740) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Chinatown — e.6 — ChinatownCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
dragons to bring rain, prosperity and friendship More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these . . . — Map (db m130937) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Chinatown — e.10 — ChinatownCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
dragons to bring rain, prosperity, and friendship More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these . . . — Map (db m130938) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 8 — Girard Street ElitesCultural Convergence — Columbia Heights Heritage Trail
The 1100 and 1200 blocks of Girard Street once were home to a “Who’s Who” of African American leaders. This and nearby “double-blocks” are the heart of John Sherman’s Columbia Heights subdivision. By placing all houses . . . — Map (db m130747) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — 3 — Power BrokersMidcity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
A post-Civil War building boom brought grand new houses to this convenient area. By 1881 Blanche Kelso Bruce, the first African American to serve a full term in the U.S. Senate, and Major John Wesley Powell, pioneering director of the U.S. . . . — Map (db m130887) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — South SidePresident's Park
1. First Division Monument This memorial honors the First Division of the United States Army Originally made to commemorate the soldiers who gave their lives during World War I, the memorial features a . . . — Map (db m130406) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — In Memory
In Memory of the men and women of the American Red Cross who died in Vietnam in service to the Armed Forces Vernon M. Lyons — August 29, 1967 Paul E. Samuels — January 25, 1968 Hannah E. Crews — October . . . — Map (db m131068) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Jane Delano
To Jane Delano and 296 nurses who died in the war 1914 — 1918 (Inscription on statue sides:) Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night nor for the arrow that flieth by day Nor for the pestilence that walketh . . . — Map (db m131072) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — The American Red Cross
Generations of Americans have given themselves to help others at home and around the world through the American Red Cross, generously donating time, money and blood. They have helped feed, shelter, and clothe those in need—from thousands of . . . — Map (db m131073) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Gallaudet — Cogswell and Krug Halls
[Top left plaque] Cogswell Hall dedicated to Alice Cogswell 1805-1830 First deaf pupil of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet [Top right plaque] Krug Hall dedicated to Walter J. Krug, '27 1905 . . . — Map (db m130936) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Langdon — Chuck Brown Memorial Park
[Plaque on sculpture along 20th Street] A Celebration of Chuck Brown (1936-2012) The fundamental force behind Go-Go music -- Using music, story-telling, and rhythm to help create a culture of inclusion and participation in . . . — Map (db m130826) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 13 — War and PeaceVillage in the City — Mount Pleasant Heritage Trail
The mansion of Samuel P. Brown, Mount Pleasant's founder once stood in the middle of the block to your left. During the Civil War, Brown bought 73 acres here for a song from William Selden, a former U.S. treasurer. Selden believed the . . . — Map (db m130877) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Vernon Square — 14 — History in a HouseMidity at the Crossroads — Shaw Heritage Trail
If a house could talk, what tales would it tell? The private residence at 415 M Street, to your left, would tell of hundreds of Shaw residents who came here to play and worship. The house at 415 was built in the 1860s for Joseph Prather, a . . . — Map (db m130897) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — Protecting the River's WatershedAnacostia Rivers — Behind These Walls
The Anacostia River has flooded the Navy Yard many times, with the worst flooding in 1936, 1937, 1942, and 1996. The flooding curtailed operations, inundating buildings closest to the river, and covered ground floors with 12 to 18 inches of water. . . . — Map (db m130978) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — Protecting Undersea Rescue and Salvage TechniquesDiving — Behind These Walls
In 1927, the U.S. Navy established an experimental dive school at the Navy Yard. The school centralized training, allowing the consolidation of dive-related and submarine-escape research efforts—including the development of the Momsen Lung . . . — Map (db m130977) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — 8 — William Prout: Community BuilderTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
Most of the land that is now Capitol Hill—including portions of the Navy Yard – once belonged to William Prout, who lived in a large house on this block. In 1799 and 1801 he sold and traded land to the U.S. government for both the . . . — Map (db m130742) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — 10 — "Strike!"Lift Every Voice — Georgia Ave./Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail
Howard University has a long history of student activism for civil rights, peace, and academic reform. Students of the 1930s and '40s protested lynchings nationwide and DC businesses that snubbed African Americans. In the early 1960s . . . — Map (db m130758) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — 13 — Along the "Nile Valley"Lift Every Voice — Georgia Ave./Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail
With its Afro-centric shops and connections to Howard University, this stretch of Georgia Avenue has been called the “Nile Valley.” Blue Nile Botanicals opened first at 2826 Georgia in 1977. Hodari Ali, a former editor of Howard’s . . . — Map (db m130760) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — 13 — Along the "Nile Valley"Lift Every Voice — Georgia Ave./Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail
With its Afro-centric shops and connections to Howard University, this stretch of Georgia Avenue has been called the “Nile Valley.” Blue Nile Botanicals opened first at 2826 Georgia in 1977. Hodari Ali, a former editor of Howard’s . . . — Map (db m130761) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — 12 — Beyond the BasicsLift Every Voice — Georgia Ave./Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail
During the Civil War, thousands of once-enslaved people crowded into DC, desperate for shelter, work, and protection. Most vulnerable were orphans and children separated from their families. In 1863 the National Association for the Relief of . . . — Map (db m130762) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Annual Oyster Derby
Watermen from Maryland and Virginia once raced to the Southwest Waterfront with their oyster hauls and celebrated victory near the Lunch Room (built circa 1916-1918) and Oyster Shucking Shed (built circa 1930). — Map (db m130964) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Can you identify these famous Civil Rights leaders?All four lived in this Southwest DC neighborhood!
Who are these famous Civil Rights leaders? Barbara Jordan (upper left)(some text missing due to illegibility) Patsy Mink (wearing...    (some text missing due to illegibility) ... supporter of civil rights . . . — Map (db m130649) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 7 — Equality in Public EducationRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Jefferson Junior High School was built in 1940 after area residents persuaded the city to abandon the original dilapidated building. They hoped the new structure, which included a branch library, would be the beginning of section-wide . . . — Map (db m130908) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 16 — Recreation and River ParkRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
Washington's schools and playgrounds were legally segregated from 1862 until 1954. But that didn't stop kids of all backgrounds from playing together. "We didn't understand racial disharmony," said Southwester Gene Cherrico of his childhood on . . . — Map (db m130916) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — 5 — Fort RenoTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
To your right is "Point Reno," the highest point in Washington -- 409 feet above sea level, to be exact. This unsurpassed vantage brought the Civil War (1861-1865) to Tenleytown. After the Union defeat at Bull Run in July 1861, northern . . . — Map (db m130923) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — 6 — Reno CityTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
Before the Civil War (1861-65), the land behind you was part of the 72-acre farm of Giles Dyer. As a Southerner, Dyer depended on enslaved people to work his fields. Because of its elevation, Dyers land was taken by the Union Army in 1861 . . . — Map (db m130924) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — 3 — "We had everything we needed right here."City Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
Black businesses sprung up everywhere on U Street in the early 1900s. As racial segregation increased, African Americans in Washington began a tradition of protest. They also responded by creating institutions of there own. In the 25 years from . . . — Map (db m130797) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — 11 — A Shared NeighborhoodCity Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
Although Washington, D.C., has been a racially segregated city for much of its history, black and white Washingtonians have shared parts of this neighborhood.

The modern building across 15th Street sits on the site of Portner Flats, . . . — Map (db m130802) HM

District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — 4 — Civil War Camp to Victorian NeighborhoodCity within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
The Shaw neighborhood and the Greater U Street Historic District are rich in African American and Civil War history. They are the ideal place for the African American Civil War Memorial now located on this Metro plaza. The neighborhood was named . . . — Map (db m130790) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — 13 — Meridian Hill ParkCity Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
Just ahead of you at the corner of 15th Street and Florida Avenue is the entrance to Meridian Hill Park, a dramatic urban oasis established in 1912 and completed in 1936. Its stunning, 12-acre landscape features the longest cascading waterfall . . . — Map (db m130792) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — 2 — The True Reformer BuildingCity Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
The daily lives of residents of this historic African American community were woven together through hundreds of social and civic organizations--fraternal organizations, clubs, school alumni associations, civic associations and the like. The . . . — Map (db m130800) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — 1 — You Had to Wear a TieCity within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
You are standing on Washington’s historic Black Broadway–the heart of African American life in Washington, D.C. from about 1900 to the 1950s. Duke Ellington, its most famous native son, grew up, was inspired, trained, and played his first . . . — Map (db m130799) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Wakefield — 4 — Three R'sTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
The red-brick School ahead and to your left is Alice Deal Junior High, honoring the mathematics teacher and union leader who launched Washington’s first junior high school in 1919 at Seventh and O Streets, NW. Architect Albert Harris’s Colonial . . . — Map (db m130922) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne — The Hernandez-Capron Trail
"Nothing occurred to disturb the quiet of the night, except the wolves in the neighboring forest responding howl for howl…" —Journal of Jacob Rhett Mott, 1838 By the 19th century, American settlements along Florida's . . . — Map (db m131066) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — I — "Gloucester of the Gulf" — Pensacola Maritime Heritage Trail
Pensacola became a center for commercial fishing by the 1870s. The industry's primary export was red snapper (Lutjanus campechanus). Pensacola's fish houses, including E.E. Saunders & Co. on the Palafox Street wharf and the Warren Fish . . . — Map (db m130815) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — H — A History Shaped by Hurricanes — Pensacola Maritime Heritage Trail
Pensacola's residents have endured more than 450 years of destructive hurricanes. The first historically recorded hurricane overwhelmed Don Tristán de Luna's 1559 colonization attempt, destroying most of the ships in his fleet. In 1752, another . . . — Map (db m130814) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F — A New Territory for the U.S. — Pensacola Maritime Heritage Trail
The success of the American Revolution spurred population growth and movement in the early 19th century. While many Americans moved west to claim new land, some looked south to Spanish West Florida. The flood of new settlers and increased pressure . . . — Map (db m130794) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — J — Archaeology in a Maritime Community — Pensacola Maritime Heritage Trail
Pensacola Bay has been a valuable resource for populations from prehistoric to modern times. The relationship between these people and their environment is often reflected in archaeological sites submerged beneath local waters. In addition to many . . . — Map (db m130819) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — E — Defending a Coastal Colony — Pensacola Maritime Heritage Trail
If you flew over Pensacola Bay, you would see that it has many natural forms of protection. Sandy barrier islands defend the narrow entrance into the bay and rolling hills provide excellent vantage points to watch ships arrive. The many colonial . . . — Map (db m130741) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — G — Industry At Sea — Pensacola Maritime Heritage Trail
Although the American Civil War (1861-1865) hindered much of Pensacola's early industrial growth, the city rebounded quickly once the war ended. Entrepreneurs from the northern United States saw great value in the area's deep port and natural . . . — Map (db m130716) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — 203 — Pensacola Blues
Front Pensacola, an important early center of blues, ragtime, vaudeville and jazz activity, developed into a regional cornerstone of the “chitlin’ circuit” in later years. Touring blues, jazz and rhythm & blues acts, and . . . — Map (db m130678) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-995 — St. Johns Historic Cemetery
After the Civil War, Pensacola's population grew rapidly. As new residents flocked to the city, its burial capacity became inadequate. Other pre-existing cemeteries were affiliated with specific religious denominations, making it difficult for those . . . — Map (db m130679) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — D — Supremacy, Siege and the Sea — Pensacola Maritime Heritage Trail
Military and naval conflict dominated the 18th century. France, Spain, and Great Britain were aggressors in nearly constant warfare that often extended into North America. Spain established a fledgling colony near what is now the Pensacola Naval Air . . . — Map (db m130767) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Most Holy Name1920-1975
The Jesuits organized Most Holy Name parish in 1920 to serve Ybor City's Italian community. On Christmas 1922, Father Vicente Dente celebrated the first mass at Most Holy Name Church, located in the 2300 block, between 7th and 8th Avenues. The . . . — Map (db m130971) HM
Florida (Lake County), Altoona — Florida Black Bear Scenic BywayDiscover the Wild Florida of the Naturalists
Marjorie Harris Carr - Tireless Conservationist Marjorie Harris Carr's most prominent legacy on the byway was to halt the construction of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. Over the long 1962-1971 battle, she enlisted citizen's groups, formed an . . . — Map (db m131087) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — USS Tallahassee
The keel for Monitor No. 9 (BM-9) was laid down in January 1899 at the Crescent Shipyard in Elizabethport, New Jersey by the Lewis Nixon ship works company. She was launched on 30 November 1901 and commissioned the USS Florida on 18 June 1903. The . . . — Map (db m131027) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Florida Naval Stores
Side 1: The Naval stores industry, as the name implies, was once the backbone of every nations navy. The wood, tar, caulk, and other materials derived from the pine tree were needed to build, repair and waterproof wooden ships. America was home . . . — Map (db m131054) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Long Pier
Originally constructed in 1929, it reaches out into the Manatee River more than 600 feet to the navigable channel. Destroyed by weather events, and then rebuilt in 1990, 1993 & 2002. It was refurbished in 2017 by many . . . — Map (db m131205) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-290 — Gillette Community
This area, known originally as Frog Creek, received its first American settlers before the Civil War. Many of them came from Alabama, northern Florida, and Georgia. Among the Georgians was Daniel Gillett, who brought his family to Frog Creek in the . . . — Map (db m131005) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bradenton — Braden Castle
Dr. Joseph Addison Braden, graduate physician, native of Virginia, came from Tallahassee to Manatee River in 1843 and acquired about 1100 acres of land; built a sugar mill about 2 1/2 miles south of Manatee. With materials at hand he constructed, . . . — Map (db m131194) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bradenton — Old Cabbage HeadManatee Village Historical Park
For generations, Old Cabbage Head symbolized the Old Manatee and Bradenton communities. Children, who climbed aboard in play, later watched their own children pretend there. In 2006, the Bradenton Kiwanis Club relocated . . . — Map (db m131004) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Homer PlazaSoutheastern University
Cyril E. Homer, D.D. Cyril E. Homer D.D., served as president of South-Eastern Bible College from 1955 to 1958 and again from 1970 to 1979. Well-respected and appreciated by students and faculty alike, Dr Homer was known simply as . . . — Map (db m131058) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Lambert PlazaSoutheastern University
Vaudie V. Lambert and Lillian Lambert Reverend Vaudie V. Lambert Jr., served over 50 years as an Assemblies of God minister. For 23 of those years he and his wife Lillian pastured churches in Alabama and Florida. His last pastorate, . . . — Map (db m131057) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Garden Center HistoryRavine Gardens State Park
T.B. Gillespie, a road contractor was the father of the concept for Ravine Gardens then owned by the City of Palatka. 1,648 men were employed by the Civic Works Council for this $150,000 project. Richard Forrester of Jacksonville was the . . . — Map (db m131076) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Native Americans at the River5000 BC to 1842
Natives lived on the St. Johns River Northwest Florida was home to Native Americans for some 15,000 years. About 7,000 years ago, they began settling along the St. Johns River. French and Spanish explorers arrived in what is now Palatka in the . . . — Map (db m131067) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Ravine State GardensFederal Emergency Relief Administration Project — 1933-1934
Federal Emergency Relief Administration Project 1933-1934 — Map (db m130087) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Library Ballroom / College Discotheque
. . . — Map (db m130973) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — The Lanier House"He looked bronzed and somewhat careworn, but hardy and vigorous." — Jefferson Davis Heritage Trail
The Lanier House, for decades Macon's premiere hotel, opened on June 12, 1850 at this location. Macon native and poet Sidney Lanier was a member of the inn-keeping family. With additions the hotel stretched 135 feet on Mulberry Street with a cast . . . — Map (db m130961) HM WM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — William Augustus BootleFederal Building and United States Courthouse — Dedicated June 29, 1998
By an Act of Congress (P.L. 105-163) this historic building is named for United States District Judge "Gus" Bootle. Judge Bootle was born in Walterboro, S.C. on August 19, 1902, and attended Mercer University where he was awarded a law degree in . . . — Map (db m130997) HM
Indiana (Hancock County), Greenfield — Historic National Road / Make History, Drive ItThe Road That Built The Nation
Information on the Move Information always travels by the best available technology. In the 19th century, the National Road (Main Street) along which you now stand, represented the latest in state-of-the-art communications. Today many of . . . — Map (db m130948) HM
Kentucky (Bath County), Owingsville — Bath County War Memorial
In Memory of those heroic sons of Bath County who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great World War that liberty and justice might not perish from the earth. 1917 – 1919 Asa Arrasmith • Spencer Boyd • Felix Clark • John W. Darnell . . . — Map (db m130968) WM
Kentucky (Fayette County), Lexington — 741 — U.S. Vice President
(Front): John Cabell Breckinridge, 1821-75, one of four Kentuckians - more than any state, except New York - who were U.S. Vice Presidents. Others were Adlai E. Stevenson, Richard M. Johnson, and Alben W. Barkley. In U.S. Congress, 1851-55. . . . — Map (db m130963) HM

372 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 172
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.