Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

577 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 377
 
L'education - New Carlisle High School Marker (back) image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
L'education - New Carlisle High School Marker (back)
Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'education - New Carlisle High SchoolCircuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 9

L'éducation en Gaspésie a progressé très lentement avant le XXe siècle. Vers 1899-1900, on ne comptait encore que 65% de présence moyenne à l'école: un tiers des enfants n'y allaient pas. En hiver, les tempêtes et les mauvais . . . — Map (db m131278) HM

Quebec (Bonaventure MRC), New Carlisle — L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican ChurchHistoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic — Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 9

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's

Vers 1784, les premiers Loyalistes (citoyens restés fidèles à la couronne britannique après l'indépendance américaine) viennent s'installer sur les côtes de la Baie des . . . — Map (db m131191) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Schweinfurter Schlachtschüssel / The Schweinfurt “Slaughter Pot”
Im Gasthof “Zum Goldenen Stern”, der bis 1959 hier stand, erfand

Georg Josua Schwanhäuser (1796-1876)

Gastwirt und hochgeachteter Bürger unserer Stadt im Jahre 1840 die berühmte

Schweinfurter . . . — Map (db m131168) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Berlin Wall Memorial
Wider das Vergessen

Originalstück der Berliner Mauer, die von 1961 bis zum Mauerfall 1989 auf einer Länge von 155 Km stand und etwa 130 Menschen das Leben kostete.

Gestiftet 2008 von Rudi May - . . . — Map (db m131276) HM WM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — John Millington Synge, 1871-1909Irischer Dramatiker - Irish Dramatist
Wohnte hier während seines Musikstudiums an der Königlichen Musikschule im Jahre 1894.

Lived here in 1894 while studying at the Royal School of Music. — Map (db m131178) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Karl Landsteiner
Nobelpreisträger Karl Landsteiner der Entdecker der Blutgruppen wohnte 1892 in diesem Haus

-

(English translation:)

The Nobel Prize winner, Karl Landsteiner, who discovered blood groups, lived in this . . . — Map (db m131256) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Das 'Raytzenhuys' / The Raytzen House
Hier stand das 'Raytzenhuys' der Ritter Raitz von Frentz zu Schlenderhan 1636 erwarb es Johann Reichsfreiherr von Werth kaiserlicher und kurbayrischer Reitergeneral Ehrenbürger der Reichstadt Köln (1591-1652) Er vergrösserte . . . — Map (db m131272) HM
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Dominican Monastery Site and Albertus Magnus
Hier stand im Mittelalter das Dominikankloster

in ihm wirkte Albertus Magnus auch 'Der Deutsche' und der "Doctor Universalis" genannt.

Diese Tafel ist dem Andenken an das erste deutsche Dominikanerkloster und an . . . — Map (db m131274) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Dr. Friedrich Joseph Haass
Beeilt euch, Gutes zu tun

Dr. Friedrich Joseph Haass 1780-1853 Der "Heilige Doktor von Moskau"

Studierte bis 1802 an der Ecole Centrale in der Marzellenstrasse die Fächer Literatur, Medizin und . . . — Map (db m131280) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Georg Simon Ohm
Entdeckte in diesem Haus als Lehrer am alten Kölnischen Gymnasium im Jahre 1826 das Grundgesetz der elekrischen Ströme. Die Hansestadt Köln weihte dem grossen Physiker zum 16 Maerz 1939 seinem 150 Geburtstage diesem . . . — Map (db m131172) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Dolores Hidalgo — Miguel Hidalgo and the First Insurgents
En este sitio se reunio, el 16 de septiembre de 1810, el primer nucleo de insurgentes, convocado por el Señor D. Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Cura de esta parroquia, para iniciar el movimiento popular que nos dio la independencia. . . . — Map (db m131284) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Dolores Hidalgo — Monument of the Independence HeroesRuta Corazón de Guanajuato
Monumento a Los Héroes de la Independencia Este monumento está ubicado en la salida a San Miguel de Allende, por donde la mañana del 16 de septiembre de 1810 salieron Miguel Hidalgo y sus tropas para iniciar la gesta independentista . . . — Map (db m131277) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Teatro de la Paz
Teatro de la Paz. Ecléctico. S. XIX. Arq. José Noriega. Iniciado en 1889, en el área sur del Convento del Carmen que desde 1870 sirvió de cárcel. Se inauguró en 1894. La cúpula del vestíbulo es de zinc belga. El interior fue . . . — Map (db m131225) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "La Plancha" and Railway Station
La Plancha y Ferrocarriles La estación del Ferrocarril situada en el cruzamiento de las calles 48 y 55 fue proyectada por el arquitecto Carlos J.S. Hall y construida entre 1913 y 1920. Es considerada quizá el único ejemplo en Mérida . . . — Map (db m131007) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — "The Nuns"Tempło Expiatorio de Nuestra Señora de la Consolación
Las Monjas Poco tiempo después de iniciada la construcción de la Catedral, se comenzó la edificación de este significativo convento (edificio situado al frente y norte de esta cédula) que se dedicaría a las monjas Concepcionistas, . . . — Map (db m131086) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Augusto Cárdenas Pinelo
En esta casa nacio el dia 2 de diciembre de 1905 el trovador romántico Augusto Cardenas Pinelo (Gutty) Homenaje a iniciativa de “Caricaturas” bajo el patrimonio del Club Escuela Modelo y Trovadores Yucatecos junio de 1932 . . . — Map (db m131083) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Calle 64
. . . — Map (db m131241) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Colegio Montejo Annex
Aquí se fundó el Colegio Montejo “Anexo”, el 2 de septiembre de 1941, donde también funcionó el primer centro colectivo de alfabetización para adultos, a iniciativa del Mtro. Dr. Jose E. Santana Robles, con la colaboración . . . — Map (db m131106) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Consuelo Zavala C.
. . . — Map (db m131242) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Diesel Electric Locomotive FUS 412
Locomotora Diesel Electrica F.U.S. 412 Llegó a México en 1939 como SCOP 7442-4. Trabajó en el Ferrocarril Tijuana Tecate, después en el Ferrocarril Sonora Baja California y en los años 50’s en F.U.S. English . . . — Map (db m130972) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Diesel Electric Locomotive S-BC 2201
Locomotora Diesel Electrica S-BC 2201 Modelo General Motor’s EMD F7A. Llegó nueva en 1949 para el Ferrocarril Sonora – Baja California, trabajando hasta 1980 English translation: Diesel Electric Locomotive . . . — Map (db m130945) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — 'Dragons' Quarters
Cuartel de Dragones El antiguo inmueble original fue construido probablemente en 1746. A petición del entonces gobernador Don Alonso de Benavides Bazán y Molina, el Ayuntamiento donó el terreno a los frailes franciscanos a fin de . . . — Map (db m131008) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Eligio Ancona Castillo
Homenaje al Benemérito del Estado que vivió en este predio Lic. Eligio Ancona Castillo (1835-1893) Ilustre historiador, prócer de las letras, combativo periodista, destacado jurista y político liberal, federalista y rebublicano. . . . — Map (db m131082) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Folk Art Museum
Museo de Arte Popular El inmueble, conocido como "Casa Molina" por el apellido de sus últimos propietarios particulares es un palacete de dos plantas con acabados externos de estilo ecléctico académico, almohadillado en tablas eń . . . — Map (db m131074) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Former Convent dedicated to Our Lady of Transit o de La Mejorada
Ex Convento de Nuestra Señora del Tránsito o de La Mejorada Patrimonio de la Nación Este conjunto tiene su origen en una construcción franciscana del Siglo XVII, conjunto que se desarrolló en dos etapas: primero la iglesia (1640) y . . . — Map (db m131012) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Fotografía Guerra
En esta casa estuvo el ultimo gran local de la Fotografia Guerra Fundada en 1877 por D. Pedro Guerra Jordan al que sucedio D. Pedro Guerra Aguilar Patronato Pro Historia Peninsular, A.C. H. Ayuntamiento de Mérida . . . — Map (db m131085) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — General Manuel Cepeda Peraza
Al Gral. Manuel Cepeda Peraza Que en la época aciaca del Imperio Franco-Austriaco hizo de esta humilde morada la cuna de Revolucion Republicana de 1867. Dedica esta lapida conmemorativa el Circulo de Estudiantes de esta capital. . . . — Map (db m131251) HM WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Héctor Victoria Aguilar
Héctor Victoria Aguilar Ferrocarrilero y Diputado al Congreso Constituyente de Queretaro en 1917. 1971 Parque Artículo 123 English translation: Héctor Victoria Aguilar Railroad worker and Deputy to the . . . — Map (db m130829) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — José Jacinto Cuevas Barrera
En esta casa vivió José Jacinto Cuevas Barrera (1821-1878) Padre y prócer de la musica yucatanense, fundador del Conservatorio de Música y Declamación y creador de la musica del himno yucateco. Centro Cultural Prohispen A.C. . . . — Map (db m131089) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — José Rendón Peniche
Don Jose Rendon Peniche 1829-1887 Pionero del sistema ferroviario en Yucatan Constructor de la Via Ancha Merida – Progreso de 1875 a 1881 Benemerito del Estado H. Ayuntamiento de Merida Diciembre de 1986 Al conmemorarse 100 . . . — Map (db m130942) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Juan F. Molina Solís
Al insigne historiador Lic. Juan F. Molina Solis Fallecio en esta casa el 24 de julio de 1932. In memoriam English translation: The distinguished historian Lic. Juan F. Molina Solis Died in this house on July . . . — Map (db m131049) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Juan Gamboa Guzmán
En este lugar estuvo la casa donde falleció el pintor yucateco Juan Gamboa Guzmán el 19 de abril de 1892 Mérida, Yuc., 23 de Octubre de 2002 Centro INAH Yucatán. Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia . . . — Map (db m131092) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Julia Dominga Febles y Cantón
Aquí vivió y murió Julia Dominga Febles y Cantón (1870-1940) Ilustre poeta y periodista "Julia", los críticos españoles la consideraron una poetisa de las mas importantes de América en su tiempo. agosto 2008 Patronato Pro . . . — Map (db m131084) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Monsignor Norberto Domínguez
Monseñor Norberto Dominguez Dean de la Santa Iglesia Catedral, Prbto. Notario Apostólico, Prelado Doméstico y Camarero de Honor de su Santidad, nació en Mérida el 5 de junio de 1832 Murió santamente en ésta ciudad el 12 de mayo de . . . — Map (db m131098) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Monument to the Children Heroes of Chapultepec
Murieron por la Patria A los Niños Heroes de Chapultepec de 1847 Merida, Yuc. 1970. Estoy seguro de que mañana moriremos Juan Crisostomo Cano y Cano a Andres Quintana Roo. Chapultepec Septiembre 12 de 1847 Asociacion del Heroico . . . — Map (db m131056) WM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — 123 — Museum and Art Gallery Juan Gamboa Guzmán
Pinacoteca “Juan Gamboa Guzmán” Museo Pinacoteca Juan Gamboa Guzmán Historia de la pintura colonial y del siglo XIX en Yucatán Ex sacristía de la “Iglesia del Jesús” Monumento histórico del siglo XVII INAH . . . — Map (db m131075) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Neighborhood of La Mejorada
Barrio de La Mejorada Debe su nombre al convento franciscano de Nuestra Señora del Tránsito o de La Mejorada del siglo XVII. Esta construcción ha tenido usos muy diversos, como Hospital, Escuela de Artes y Oficios }, Prefectura de . . . — Map (db m131036) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Passenger Car 1552
El coche 1552 construido por Pullman Standar Car. En 1926 perteneció al Ferrocarril Southern Pacific, Estados Unidos. English translation: Passenger Car 1552 The car 1552 was constructed by Pullman-Standard Car . . . — Map (db m130867) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Passenger Car 4285
Coche de Pasajeros FNM 4285 Construido de aluminio por la Compañía Canadiense Hawker Siddeley para Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico (FNM), con un total de 60 coches de primera clase y 140 de segunda clase. El pedido de 200 carros . . . — Map (db m130974) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Railroad Station
Estación de Ferrocarriles Fue construida entre 1913 y 1920 por el arquitecto Carlos J. S. Hall y es considerada quizá el único ejemplo en Mérida del llamado “primer estilo neocolonial” que obedecía a una tendencia . . . — Map (db m130805) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Steam Locomotive
Locomotora de Vapor Construida en EE.UU en septiembre de 1903 Steam Locomotive Constructed in the United States in September of 1903. — Map (db m130970) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — Temple of Saint Sebastian
Templo de San Sebastián Patrimonio de la Nación English translation: Temple of Saint Sebastian A National Heritage Site — Map (db m131264) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Harem
El Harén La numeración de fines del siglo XIX acabó por poner 64 a la calle de la ermita y en su cruce con la 75 sufre una desviación llamada “de punta de diamante”. Por el lado izquierdo se prolonga varias calles hacia el . . . — Map (db m131253) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Hermitage
La Ermita La antigua Ermita hoy conocida como “de Santa Isabel” fue fundada por un vecino apellidado González de Ledezma quien la construyó con sus propios recursos y luego se trasladó a vivir en ella, como un ermitaño. Su . . . — Map (db m131258) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The House of the Headless Friar
Casa del Culcal Kin Calle 64 Nos. 556, 558 por 71 y 73 Patrimonio de la Nación Camino Real a Campeche English translation: The House of the Headless Friar 556-558 Calle 64 between Calles 71 and 73 A National Heritage Site . . . — Map (db m131237) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Old Rendón Peniche Sanitorium
Antiguo Sanatorio Rendón Peniche Construido en 1920 English translation: The Old Rendón Peniche Sanatorium Built in 1920 — Map (db m130850) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The Orphanage
El Orfanatorio Toma el nombre de la antigua pensión para infantes que se instaló en un inmueble construido en terrenos que pertenecieron al convento de monjas concepcionistas. La dueña de este orfanato particular situado en el número . . . — Map (db m131081) HM
Mexico, Yucatán (Municipality of Mérida), Mérida — The San Juan Arch
Arco de San Juan Hoy conocido como “de San Juan” y originalmente como “Arco de San Cristóbal” se encuentra en la antigua salida al Camino Real a Campeche. Es el de mayores dimensiones de los tres que hoy . . . — Map (db m131124) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Casparus Commelin
Hier stond de boekhandel van Casparus Commelin (1636-1693), boekverkoper, krantenuitgever en stadshistorieschrijver van Amsterdam. Beroemde buren (aan het Damrak) wyen de kaartenmakers en uitgevers Blaeu, Janssonius, Elzevier en . . . — Map (db m131282) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Jan Pietersz Sweelinck
Hier stond het ouderlijk huis van Jan Pietersz Sweelinck (1562-1621), beroemd renaissance-componist en organist van de Oude Kerk. Hij werd beschouwd als een indirecte leermeester via zijn leerlingen, van J.S. Bach.

This . . . — Map (db m131285) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Joost van den Vondel
Hier woonde van 1631 tot 1650 Joost van den Vondel (1587-1679), 'Prins der Nederlandse dichters'. Hij dreef hier een zijde- en kousen-winkel en schreef er zijn beroemdste toneelwerk, de Gijsbrecht van Aemstel (1638).

Joost van den . . . — Map (db m131301) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Kalkmarkt 7
Eind 1999 heeft dit zeventiende-eeuwse huis zijn rijk geornamenteerde halsgevel teruggekregen Deze top was rond 1900 wegens bouwvalligheid vervangen door een eenvoudige lijstgevel. Aan de hand van oude foto's en tekeningen en . . . — Map (db m131306) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Long-time Apothecary
Sinds 1696 is in dit huis een apotheek gevestigd 1996

-

(English translation:)

An apothecary has been in this building since 1696. — Map (db m131303) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Pietro Antonio Locatelli
In questa casa trascorse la Vita Operosa e Morì Il Grande Compositore e Violinista Pietro Antonio Locatelli La città natale Nel Bicentenario della morte Pose Bergamo 3 IX 1695 Amsterdam 30 III . . . — Map (db m131283) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Salomon Verbeeck
Hier woonde van 1666 tot zijn dood de musicus Salomon Verbeeck (1632-1685) stedelijk beiaardier van de Oudekerkstoren. Aan hem en het beroemde klokkenspel van François Hemony wijdde Vondel zijn gedicht 'Op de klokmuziek te . . . — Map (db m131286) HM
United Kingdom, England (Hampshire County), Portsmouth — The Porter’s Garden
The Garden Today The Porter's Garden covers part of the site of an earlier garden belonging to the Porter's Lodge, which was constructed in 1708 and is the oldest building in the Dockyard. It is the white building opposite the Visitor Centre at . . . — Map (db m131297) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Christ Church & Its Meadow
Christ Church & Its Meadow Christ Church, on your right, was founded in 1525 by Cardinal Wolsey and is one of the University's best known colleges. Its chapel is the city's cathedral and contains the shrine of Oxford's patron saint, St Frideswide. . . . — Map (db m130820) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Cornmarket & Market St
Cornmarket & Market St Cornmarket is a busy modern shopping street that has been a main road since Saxon times. It was formerly known as Northgate Street after the gate in the city wall which stood beside the Saxon tower of St Michael's Church . . . — Map (db m130817) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — Hythe Bridge Street
Hythe Bridge Street Hythe Bridge Street dates back to at least 1233 when it provided access across the Castle Mill Stream, a branch of the river Thames, to two of Oxford's great abbeys. Sadly, there are now only a few traces of Osney Abbey (founded . . . — Map (db m130816) HM
United Kingdom, England (Oxfordshire), Oxford — The Plain & Magdalen Bridge
The Plain & Magdalen Bridge You are standing at the edge of The Plain, the eastern approach to the city centre. On the traffic island is the Victoria Fountain, built in 1899 where the toll-house once stood. Behind you is the 18th-century . . . — Map (db m131298) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Colonia Italiana 1888-The Beautiful Forest / The Founding Fathers of the Italian Colony
Colonia Italiana 1888-The Beautiful Forest In 1888, Alesandro Mastro-Valerio, realizing the plight of fellow Italian immigrants living and working in hazardous conditions in many northern states, bought land here to attract colonists. He . . . — Map (db m130913) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Sonora Community / Sonora School and Community Hall
Sonora Community The community of Sonora was named in 1901 by the wife of the first postmaster, G.L. Sharretts. Situated near Red Hill Ford on Baker Branch and the intersection of travel routes between Silverhill, Magnolia Springs, Marlow . . . — Map (db m130878) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Summerdale — Summerdale / Summerdale's Turpentine Still
Summerdale The Summerdale area was settled in the early 1850's by several families of Scotch and Irish descent. By 1900, the town had a church, a saw mill, a turpentine business, and a hotel. Many families of different nationalities moved . . . — Map (db m130868) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — Lowry House
John Lowry moved his family from Virginia and purchased land on Meridianville Pike in 1809. He was the contractor for Madison County's first courthouse in 1811. His grandson, John Tate Lowry, a leading merchant with Lowry, Hamilton and Company, . . . — Map (db m130812) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — Allen English HomeAdobe Home Built in 1882
Born in Saginaw, Mich., in 1860, English, a law graduate, moved to Tombstone in 1880. He first worked as a miner, then became a partner in Smith & Goodrich law firm. He also served 3 terms as Cochise County District Attorney. English's . . . — Map (db m131100) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 41 — HoptownChinese Section — 1879
In 1879 there were 11 people in Tombstone of Chinese descent. By 1882 there were 250. The area between 2nd and 3rd and Allen and Toughnut was the area where they lived and had businesses, commonly called "Hoptown". The Chinese ran laundries, . . . — Map (db m131096) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 37 — Million Dollar Stope
At 1:00 p.m. on April 21st, 1907, the "Million Dollar Stope" was created when the Good Enough Stope caved in dropping a horse and wagon 75' into a gaping hole. The driver had climbed down to see why his horse had stumbled only to find himself . . . — Map (db m131088) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Tombstone — 37a — The Mines of Tombstone
Tombstone was a mining town. Everything that happened here happened because of the lure of the silver and gold found by Ed Schieffelin in the hills of Tombstone in 1877. And so they came, the prospectors, laborers, miners, lawmen, “shady . . . — Map (db m131095) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Kaibab — 5 — Pipe Springs National Monument
Established May 31, 1923 Through effort of Stephen T. Mather and friends Pipe Springs Occupied in 1863 by Dr. James M. Whitmore, who, with Robert McIntyre, was killed 4 miles S.E. Of here January 3, 1866 by Navajo and Piute . . . — Map (db m131296) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Kaibab — 119 — The Historic Dixie-Long Valley, Utah Pioneer Trail
Segments of centuries-old Indian trails between St. George and Long Valley were used by Mormon pioneers in 1864 to settle Long Valley and its resettlement in 1871 following Indian conflicts. The trail divided at the area of this marker; the . . . — Map (db m131299) HM
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The San Pedro River ValleyOn a clear day you can see the Gila National Forest in New Mexico from here!
You are looking at the San Pedro River Valley. The San Pedro River flows north to the Gila River, which ultimately meets the Colorado River and heads south to Mexico and the Gulf of California. The river supports riparian vegetation that provides . . . — Map (db m131232) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Joaquin Murrieta and Murrieta's Well
The legend of Joaquin Murrieta is one of the most enduring and fascinating of chapters in California history. Facts, fiction and romantic tales entangle to create a legend of unique aura that had become part of California's folklore, especially in . . . — Map (db m130947) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — SS Red Oak Victory
The SS Red Oak Victory is the last remaining ship of the 747 vessels built at the Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond, Ca, during World War II. Commissioned by the U.S. Navy as the USS Red Oak Victory (AK-235), on December 5, 1944, she served as an . . . — Map (db m131188) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — Via LiberationVoie de la Liberte 1944
La Ville d'Etamps a l'Amerique This monument from General Patton's Route of Liberation is a gift of the people [of] Cannes, France to the people of California, sent via La Train de la Reconnaisance Francaise (Merci Train) and dedicated . . . — Map (db m131236) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — 923 — Site of Gossamer Condor Flight
This plaque at Shafter Airport commemorates the world's first man-powered flight to complete the Kremer Circuit, August 23, 1977. The circuit, a figure eight around two pylons one-half mile apart, was completed in six minutes, twenty-two seconds. . . . — Map (db m131044) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — 92 — Old Santa Susana Stage Road‘Devil’s Slide’
Old Santa Susana Stage Road, 1859-90. Marked March 17 1939, Native Daughters of the Golden West, Topango Parlor 269. — Map (db m131208) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Encino — 689 — De La Osa AdobeLos Encinos State Historical Monument
This dwelling, built in 1849 by Don Vincente de la Osa, was a favored stopping place for the numerous travelers on El Camino Real. It stands on land that is part of the one-square-league Rancho El Encino granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico to three . . . — Map (db m131161) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1934: The Night of the Long KnivesHolocaust Monument
In violation of the Treaty of Versailles, Germany initiated an ambitious military rearmament program to restore its military strength; covert air reconnaissance missions commenced. Germany began to secure its national borders. On January 26, . . . — Map (db m130810) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 72 — Automobile Club Headquarters
Automobile Club of Southern California; headquarters building of the pioneer motoring club; founded 1900; built in Spanish Colonial style. — Map (db m131042) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Invention of the Cheeseburger
On this site in 1924, sixteen year-old Lionel Sternberger first put cheese on a hamburger and served it to a customer, thereby inventing the cheeseburger. The 'Aristocratic Burger' at the Rite Spot is the first instance of a hamburger with cheese . . . — Map (db m131006) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rosemead — William L. Dodson(1872–1914) (No Stone) — Savannah Memorial Park
One of our most flamboyant residents. The son of one of the earliest pioneer families that settled in the area. Most of his young life was spent taking care of his invalid mother, keeping up with all the household duties, and helping his father . . . — Map (db m131266) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rosemead — William R. Dodson(1839–1921) — Savannah Memorial Park
Served with gallantry and distinction during the Civil War for the Confederacy, Arkansas cavalry, rising to the rank of Captain. Arrived in El Monte in 1868. Proprietor of the very popular Dodson Hotel (previously the El Monte Hotel) for thirty-six . . . — Map (db m131250) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — World’s First Flying Automobile
From 1935-1938 at this location pioneer aviator and inventor Waldo Waterman created the most successful of his “roadable aircraft,” the Arrowbile, which had the capability to fly in the sky and drive on the street. — Map (db m131020) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — The Country General Store1911
Known as the Bank of Van Nuys, the Country General Store was an H.J. Whitley development built in 1911. Family owned and operated since 1956, Nat Stanoff, the founder, opened the doors as an Army Navy store. Today, Country General Store is Los . . . — Map (db m131217) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Coast — 1050 — Crystal Cove Historic District
The early to mid-twentieth century cottages in this last self-contained Southern California beachfront recreational community reflect a unique vernacular architectural design emblematic of "architecture without architects." — Map (db m131231) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Daring Pilots, Youthful Heroes
The 91st Observation Squadron Crissy Field was home to many daring pilots who made their mark on aviation history. Among these famous flyers were Major Dana H. Crissy, who died in a crash attempting to fly to the East Coast from here, and Major . . . — Map (db m131186) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Homeland of the Yelamu
The Native People of the Peninsula The Yelamu were one of 50 independent Ohlone tribes related through culture and language. Ohlone peoples have lived in the Bay Area for several thousand years. The Yelamu, whose territory . . . — Map (db m131189) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Polytechnic High School
Founded in 1894 to teach vocational skills, it produced generations of scholars, athletes, workers, creative thinkers, and informed citizens.

The 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed the original school building at Bush and Stockton streets, and . . . — Map (db m131047) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Resisting the Twisting
Ever since the modern suspension bridge was invented in the early 1800s, one of the biggest challenges engineers have faced is preventing these flexible structures from moving too much in the wind. A storm on December 1, 1951, caused the Golden . . . — Map (db m131193) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Save the PalaceCampaigns and Close Calls
"Therefore, let us preserve our Palace of Fine Arts as long as possible, six months, six years, or any length of time — maybe someday it can be made permanent…” Willis Polk, 1915 It is difficult to contemplate San Francisco . . . — Map (db m131097) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Era of Earthworks BatteriesBattery East
Armored vessels and rifled artillery developed during the Civil War could destroy brick forts like Fort Point. As a consequence, these walled forts were replaced by earthen gun emplacements with underground ammunition magazines like Battery East, . . . — Map (db m131192) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Last Word in Airfields
U.S. Army Coast Defense Air Station From 1921 to 1936, Crissy Field was at the forefront of military air operations. Home of the U. S. Army Air Corps' Coast Defense Air Station, the site included a grassy landing strip and the barracks, offices . . . — Map (db m131187) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The PPIE ExperienceSomething For Everyone
"The coloring is so soft and wonderful. Blues and reds and greens and yellows and browns and grays are all blended into one perfect whole… It is fairyland." Laura Ingalls Wilder, West from Home. The Palace of Fine Arts is the . . . — Map (db m131099) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 632 E. Thompson BoulevardMitchell Block Historic District
This house, built in 1904 for Earl E. Barnes, has Classic Revival elements as seen in its flared hip roof, clapboard siding, and porch columns. The stained glass doors and windows, with the Mariposa Lily Design, are an original feature. This house . . . — Map (db m131216) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 39 — Dr. Cunane House
This structure was the office and home of Dr. Thomas E. Cunane who established his practice in Ventura in 1899. The home was built in 1884 and is one of the few remaining examples of Queen Anne cottage architecture which was popular during that . . . — Map (db m131220) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 70 — J.A. Day House759 East Poli Street
J. A. Day, was a prominent rancher in the Saticoy area and a local grocer. In 1889, he built this Victorian home, in the "Stick-Eastlake” style, The structure contains unique carpentry work, with a profusion of wood detail in the balusters . . . — Map (db m131214) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Jack Rose
On this site in 1947, pioneer Veutura merchant Jack Rose built what was said to be the largest and most contemporary women's apparel store on the Pacific Coast. Designed by renowned architect Arthur Froehlich, the distinctive 36,000 square foot . . . — Map (db m131255) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 52 — Sifford House
Built in 1895, this Colonial Revival home is a two-story box- shape featuring a distinctive half-circle entry onto the porch, a balcony, and a palladian window. It was occupied originally by Frank Sifford, owner of the Ventura Transfer Company, . . . — Map (db m131215) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 97 — The Arnold House
Former Ventura County Supervisor Mathew H. Arnold built this home for his wife Eliza in 1906. The Colonial Revival details include Doric porch columns, curved brackets under boxed eaves and unique detailing in front of the cottage windows. Notable . . . — Map (db m131252) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 24 — Ventura Theatre
Ventura joined the "movie palace era” of Hollywood with the grand opening of the Ventura Theatre on August 16, 1928. This lavishly decorated Mediterranean style theatre cost $400,000 to build, and created much excitement in our oil boom . . . — Map (db m131167) HM
Colorado (Yuma County), Wray — Buffalo Soldiers to the Rescue
Troops H & I, 10th Calvary, Buffalo Soldiers, were dispatched from what is now, Cheyenne Wells, Co. Troop H arrived on September 25, 1868 to the relief of the Forsyth Scouts, who were known to be in danger of total annihilation by a largely superior . . . — Map (db m131269) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Albert Gallatin Lewis
With deep gratitude for their commitment to education and service, the University of Delaware recognizes Albert Gallatin Lewis, his family and heirs, on whose land this building was built as a schoolhouse in 1884. — Map (db m131156) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Alumni Hall
[Left plaque] Alumni Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places [Right plaque] Alumni Hall Erected before 1810 — Map (db m131117) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941)
Some say the stars shine just a bit brighter over Cannon Hall, a residence hall built in 1952 and named for noted astronomer Annie Jump Cannon. As curator of the Harvard College Observatory, Dr. Cannon classified 350,000 stars and discovered . . . — Map (db m131155) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Beatrice Hartshorn (1897-1972)
Beatrice Hartshorn joined the Women's College at the University of Delaware in 1925 as head of the physical education program, which at the time consisted of rudimentary exercises and games. Miss Hartshorn, who served on the University faculty . . . — Map (db m131151) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Dr. Walter J. Hullihen (1875-1944)President of the University of Delaware, 1920-44
Under President Hullihen's leadership, the two colleges known as Delaware College and the Women's College were officially joined and became known as the University of Delaware in 1921. Two years later, Hullihen inaugurated the internationally . . . — Map (db m131101) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — E. A. Trabant University Center
This building is named in honor of E. Arthur Trabant, who served two terms as President of the University of Delaware: 1968-87 and 1988-90. During his presidency, enrollment at the University doubled, the Laird Campus was developed, the University . . . — Map (db m131143) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Elliott Hall
Elliott Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131138) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Emalea Pusey Warner (1853-1948)
Emalea Pusey Warner was one of the most influential women in the history of the University of Delaware. She was the first woman appointed to its Board of Trustees, serving from 1928-42. The project closest to Mrs. Warner's heart was the . . . — Map (db m131148) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Abram Harter (1853-1943)
George Abram Harter served as President of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, from 1896 to 1914. A quiet scholar who enjoyed teaching, he was an administrator respected for his unwavering dedication to the college. Under his . . . — Map (db m131114) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Evans House
George Evans House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Erected in 1863 — Map (db m131140) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — George Gillespie Evans (1815-1904)Charles Black Evans (1866-1933)
Delaware College, now University of Delaware, might have been a financial casualty of the Civil War period except for the assistance of George Gillespie Evans, a Newark merchant. Indeed, Delaware College did close for 11 years before, during and . . . — Map (db m131107) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944)
A New Englander born into modest means, Harry Fletcher Brown was a chemist who developed smokeless powder. In 1904, he joined the Du Pont Company and later became a benefactor of education and social services. Mr. Brown was an intense, . . . — Map (db m131094) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944)
During the height of the Great Depression, Harry Fletcher Brown first came to the aid of the University of Delaware and, over the next decade, became one of the University's most generous benefactors, financing construction of Brown Laboratory, . . . — Map (db m131115) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966)
An 1988 graduate of Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, Hugh Martin Morris was one of Delaware's most distinguished jurists, serving as a Wilmington attorney and, from 1919-30, as a U.S. District Judge for Delaware. A member of . . . — Map (db m131146) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)
H. Rodney Sharp was only 16 when he entered Delaware College in 1896, and he graduated four years later in what was termed the "Class of aughty-aught." In 1915, he was appointed a Trustee. Mr. Sharp was deeply loyal to his alma mater. He . . . — Map (db m131111) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968)
Born in Sussex County, Del., Hugh Rodney Sharp spent four happy years at Delaware College, now the University of Delaware, graduating in 1900 at the age of 20. He went on to become a successful business executive, a University Trustee and one of the . . . — Map (db m131113) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In Memoriam
To the men of the University of Delaware who died in the service of their country during World War II John H. Banks, III '46 Casimir L. Blaska '43 Robert J. Bostwick '31 Henry S. Brady, Jr. '34 Horace C. Brown '45 Robert W. . . . — Map (db m131103) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — In Memoriam
To the students of the University of Delaware who died in the service of their country during Asian Conflicts. Bird, Leonard A. '66 — Vietnam Flaherty, Kevin G. '63 — Vietnam Johnson, James R., Jr. '56 — Vietnam Lowdon, . . . — Map (db m131145) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Jastak-Burgess HallSarah Jastak-Burgess ('54 M.A., '63 Ph.D.) — Leslie M. Burgess
Jastak-Burgess Hall, home of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, is named in honor of psychologist Dr. Sara Jastak-Burgess and Leslie M. Burgess ('43 B.S. UC Berkeley, '61 MBA Harvard). Their generous gifts in support of this . . . — Map (db m131134) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — John A. Munroe ('36 B.A., '41 M.A.)
This building is named for renowned scholar John A. Munroe an authority on Delaware history and the author of many books, including a history of the University. After receiving his bachelor's and master's degrees from Delaware, he joined the history . . . — Map (db m131144) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — John A. Perkins Student Center
This building was named for John A. Perkins (1914-82), who served as President of the University of Delaware from 1950-67. His tenure marked one of the greatest periods of growth in the history of the University, with the undergraduate enrollment . . . — Map (db m131091) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Kent HallKent Dining Hall
Kent Resident Hall, constructed in 1956, is named after Kent County, located in the central part of Delaware and home of the First State's capital city of Dover. The adjoining Kent Dining Hall predates the residence hall by 31 years. The . . . — Map (db m131153) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Laurel Hall
This building is named for the small southern Delaware town of Laurel, the birthplace of Mary Wooten Carpenter. Her Husband, Walter S. Carpenter, Jr., who served as President of the University of Delaware Board of Trustees from 1959-62, supported . . . — Map (db m131149) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Mechanical Hall
Mechanical Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131137) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — New Castle Hall
This residence hall is named for the northernmost of Delaware's three counties, New Castle County. The City of Newark lies within its boundaries. The dormitory was constructed with state funding in 1925, in response to the expansion of the . . . — Map (db m131154) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Pierre Samuel du Pont (1870-1954)
Pierre S. du Pont can fairly be described as the founder of the modern University of Delaware. In 1915, he donated the money to purchase the land that is now The Green, which physically unified Delaware College and Women's College. President of . . . — Map (db m131108) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Professor Theodore Wolf (1850-1909)
In 1871, Theodore Wolf joined Delaware College as a 21-year-old Professor of Chemistry, fresh from receiving his doctorate at the University of Heidelberg, Germany. Professor Wolf was a demanding but innovative and popular teacher. He worked to . . . — Map (db m131112) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Raub Hall
Raub Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131139) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Recitation Hall
Recitation Hall has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m131141) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Recitation Hall Annex
. . . — Map (db m131142) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Rev. Dr. Francis Alison (1705-1779)
Francis Alison came to America from Ireland in 1735 and served as a Presbyterian minister in New London, Pennsylvania, from 1736-52. In 1743, he started a free school there to which the University of Delaware traces its origin. His first class, . . . — Map (db m131093) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Robert W. Gore, B.ChE., 1959Sally Gore, M.Ed., 1976 — Genevieve Gore
Robert ("Bob") Gore was a University of Delaware undergraduate studying chemical engineering when he invented GoreTexⓇ. This polymer material became key to the success of W.L. Gore and Associates, a company that Bob's father, Wilbert L. Gore, . . . — Map (db m131110) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Samuel Chiles Mitchell (1864-1948)
In 1914, Samuel Chiles Mitchell was elected the 16th President of what was then known as Delaware College, now the University of Delaware. During his six-year tenure as President, the Women's College was opened; the central campus was planned; . . . — Map (db m131105) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Squire Hall
Squire Hall is named for Francis Hagar Squire, a popular Professor of History at the University from 1927-56, who also served as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1945-56. Professor Squire helped establish the master's degree . . . — Map (db m131150) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Sussex Hall
This residence hall is named after Delaware's southernmost county and is one of the oldest buildings on the south Green. Sussex Hall was completed in 1917 and was built with an appropriation from the Delaware General Assembly. It was the second . . . — Map (db m131152) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — University of DelawareA Brief History — The Green Campus Buildings
The University of Delaware traces its origins to a school founded by the Rev. Francis Alison in 1743, which later became the Academy of Newark. In 1833, the state of Delaware chartered its first institute of higher education, called Newark . . . — Map (db m131102) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955)
Wilbur Owen Sypherd served as President of the University from 1944-46, and his administration accomplished much, including a major reorganization of the University's administrative structure, reinstituting coeducation and strengthening the . . . — Map (db m131116) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Winifred J. Robinson (1867-1962)
When Winifred J. Robinson became the first Dean of the Women's College in 1914, the school consisted of a muddy field and two buildings under construction on what is now the south lawn of The Green. Dr. Robinson visited every Delaware high . . . — Map (db m131147) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Delaware World War I Memorial
Erected in honor of the Soldiers and Sailors of Delaware who served in the World War 1917-1918 — Map (db m131169) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — H. Fletcher Brown: The Man and the Vocational School
In 1938 the Wilmington Board of Education proudly dedicated a new vocational high school on the northwest corner of Market and 14th Streets. State and city dignitaries attended the ceremony that officially opened a school that for the next three . . . — Map (db m131160) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 70 years ago from this spot
Created during the Great Depression, this garden's first plants were 670 roses donated by Mr. Jasper Crane. In 2001, the Friends of Wilmington Parks began restoration to return the garden to its original state. — Map (db m131157) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
Brandywine Park was created to give urban residents relief from city living and working conditions. A young woman is pictured sitting atop an outcropping of Brandywine Blue Rock in 1897. — Map (db m131158) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 100 years ago from this spot
In this photo from about 1913, park visitors enjoy the ice along with their dogs. A series of cold winters made ice skating on the Brandywine River a popular pastime. The dam pictured is the remnant of an early mill in Wilmington. — Map (db m131163) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......more than 100 years ago from this spot
The Sugar Bowl, built in 1902, was so named because of its lid-like domed roof. It was used as a concert site and venue for community programs. The Sugar Bowl eventually fell into disrepair and was reduced to a plaza and chain link fence. . . . — Map (db m131165) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Looking Back......over 50 years ago from this spot
The Josephine Fountain has been drawing visitors to Brandywine Park since the 1930s. The fountain was built in honor of Mrs. Josephine Tatnall Smith who enjoyed walking through the park. Here families and couples enjoy a cool spring day in the . . . — Map (db m131170) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — McKinleyPresident — March•4•1897 — Sept•14•1901
President Governor Member of Congress Major Captain Lieutenant Sergeant — Map (db m131162) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — New Castle County Vietnam Memorial
New Castle County Honors the Delawareans Who Served in Vietnam [Plaque 1:] Robert P. Acher, Jr. James R. Adams Thomas B. Adams George L. Aikin Robert D. Alexander Douglas D. Alley Francis B. Amoroso Charles R. . . . — Map (db m131166) WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Old Soldiers' Park
Early in the 1890s, Civil War Union veterans claimed a small corner of Brandywine Park as a place to congregate in good weather. The familiar sight of the old soldiers sitting regularly in that area led people to call the spot "Old Soldiers' Park." . . . — Map (db m131159) HM WM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NCC-225 — Washington Street Bridge
The Washington Street bridge, completed in 1921, was dedicated to the "sons of Delaware who joined forces of their country in The Great War" on Memorial Day, 1922. The 250 foot, open spandrel arch bridge serves as a lasting and rare example of . . . — Map (db m131164) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 10 — "Suburban" DevelopmentRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
By the 1890s the Rock Creek Railway Company's new electric streetcars made it easy to commute across town. The "country" settlements of this area became "suburban." One streetcar line followed 18th to Calvert Street, passed here, and then . . . — Map (db m130701) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 5 — Ambassadors of FaithRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Three dramatic religious structures dominate this corner. They are among some 40 religious institutions lining 16th Street between the White House and the Maryland state line. Many serve as unofficial “embassies” representing the . . . — Map (db m130702) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 16 — Building a Better NeighborhoodRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Across the street you can see the Marie H. Reed Community Learning Center. It opened in 1977 on the former sites of Morgan Community School and Happy Hollow Playground. Both the Adams and Morgan elementary schools became "community schools" . . . — Map (db m130703) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 7 — Lanier PlaceRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Banker Archibald McLachlan and Smithsonian Institution naturalist George Brown Goode developed Lanier Heights in the early 1890s. Goode laid out streets and encouraged Smithsonian colleagues to purchase lots. McLachlan built the elegant Ontario . . . — Map (db m130704) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 4 — Life on the ParkRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
During the Civil War (1861-1865), the Union Army Carver Hospital and barracks occupied Meridian Hill. The facilities attracted African American freedom seekers looking for protection and employment. By war’s end, a Black community had put down . . . — Map (db m130705) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 2 — Meridian Hill/Malcolm X ParkRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Long before Europeans arrived, Meridian Hill was a sacred place for Native Americans. As recently as 1992, a delegation of Native Americans walked across the continent to this park to mourn the 500th anniversary of Columbus’s arrival. They were . . . — Map (db m130706) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 1 — Mrs. Henderson's LegacyRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
As you look up the hill, you can see Peter C. L’Enfant’s 1791 plan for Washington ended up here in front of you at Boundary Avenue, now Florida Avenue. Back then, when people walked or rode in horse-drawn vehicles, it was hard to climb this steep . . . — Map (db m130707) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 8 — Serving the NeighborhoodRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Furs by Gartenhaus and truffles by Avignon Freres. Hand-crafted ice cream from Budd's. Beginning in the 1910s, such neighborhood favorites occupied the commercial buildings to your right developed by Sanner and Barr. These fashionable shops . . . — Map (db m130708) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 6 — The Latino CommunityRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
This is the heart of Washington’s Latino community. Once centered here and in nearby Mount Pleasant and Columbia Heights, the community now extends throughout the region. As early as the 1910s, the Mexican, Ecuadoran, Cuban, and Spanish . . . — Map (db m130709) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 3 — The Roots of Reed-CookeRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
In 1947, the building on your left opened as the National Arena, a public roller rink and bowling alley. It also hosted professional wrestling, roller derbies, and rock concerts. In 1986 it became the Citadel Motion Picture Center, where portions of . . . — Map (db m130710) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 9 — Tragedy at 18th and ColumbiaRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Before there was "Adams Morgan," this crossroads lent the neighborhood its name: "18th and Columbia." Here you could catch a streetcar to just about anywhere and buy nearly anything. But back in 1922, 18th and Columbia witnessed a tragedy. . . . — Map (db m130711) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 17 — Urban Renewal EraRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
The charming Victorian rowhouses you see along 18th Street are an Adams Morgan signature. But they were nearly lost in the 1960s in the name of progress. During World War II, thousands flooded Washington to work for the government, . . . — Map (db m130712) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — 11 — Walter Pierce ParkRoads to Diversity — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
The Rock Creek Valley, once home to Native Americans, had attracted European settlers by 1703. Before he became president in 1825, John Quincy Adams purchased Adams Mills on Rock Creek from his cousin. The mills, just down the hill, processed flour . . . — Map (db m130713) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 12 — A Spirit of CommunityTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
Episcopalians first gathered here to worship in 1874, when St. Alban's Church, located on Wisconsin Avenue and Massachusetts, started a mission for the area. In good weather, services took place under a majestic oak tree on land donated by . . . — Map (db m130927) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 17 — American UniversityTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
Beyond Ward Circle to your left is the campus of American University, chartered by Congress in 1893. Methodist Bishop John Fletcher Hurst guided the university’s development as a center for training future public servants. With its schools in . . . — Map (db m130932) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 1 — Beer, Popcorn, and Penny CandyTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
Suburban shopping arrived in Tenleytown when Sears, Roebuck & Co. erected a Moderne style store here in 1941. The sleek façade demonstrated the latest in department store design. Sears was the second Tenleytown business — after Giant . . . — Map (db m130918) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 15 — For the ChildrenTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
From 1927 until the late 1950s, the landscaped grounds across the street were the Hillcrest Children’s Center. It was founded downtown in 1814 as the Washington City Orphan Asylum by Marcia Burnes Van Ness and President Madison’s wife Dolley. . . . — Map (db m130930) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 7 — In Touch with the WorldTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
“Tenley Tower,” behind you, dates from the mid-1940s. Western Union Telegraph Co. built it as part of an experimental system using microwaves to transmit telegrams in the mid-Atlantic region. This new technology helped erase . . . — Map (db m130925) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 14 — On the CircleTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
In the 1930s city engineers created Tenley Circle where commuters heading cross-town or downtown changed streetcars. Across the street and to the left of Tenley Circle, a surviving strip of historic Grant Road meets Wisconsin Avenue. In the . . . — Map (db m130929) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 10 — Set in StoneTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Heritage Trail
You are standing on the west side of Mt. Airy, a subdivision spanning Wisconsin Avenue laid out in the late 1890s. Mt. Airy evolved into a dense, working-class neighborhood, where policemen and dairymen lived in modest houses. Among them . . . — Map (db m130926) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 13 — To the RescueTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
The brick building across the street opened in 1928 as the Convent of Bon Secours (literally, “good help”). The convent’s sisters had arrived in Baltimore from France in 1881. In Baltimore they quietly nursed both wealthy and needy . . . — Map (db m130928) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 16 — Winning the WarTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
The U.S. Navy arrived across the street at 3801 Nebraska Avenue during World War II, taking the Colonial style red-brick campus of Mount Vernon Seminary for secret “essential wartime activities.” Soon more than 5,000 workers . . . — Map (db m130931) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 13 — A Neighborhood OasisAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
Follow Good Hope Road under the highway to your left to reach Anacostia Park, a longtime neighborhood oasis. In 1914, after years of citizen requests, Congress directed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to "improve" the Anacostia River by . . . — Map (db m130717) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 16 — Education MattersAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
Anacostia's Ketcham School (across Good Hope Road) opened in 1908 to serve white elementary school children. For junior and senior high school, whites crossed the river until 1935, when Anacostia Junior-Senior High School opened at 16th and R . . . — Map (db m130718) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — Frederick Douglass's Rustic RetreatFrederick Douglass National Historic Site — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
Where do you go when you do not want to be disturbed? Frederick Douglass came to this tiny stone cabin that he called the Growlery. Coined by Charles Dickens, the word "Growlery" literally means a place to growl. Douglass kept his Growlery . . . — Map (db m130979) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 19 — Mother Churches and Their DaughtersAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
Across This Intersection is St. Teresa of Avila, the first Catholic Church east of the Anacostia River. It is called the “mother church” because many area congregations are its offshoots. As Uniontown grew, so did its Catholic . . . — Map (db m130719) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 20 — Rose's RowAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
Across the intersection to your left is Rose's Row, three one-family and three two-family houses built in 1890 by local saloon-keeper William H. Rose. Rose's son Daniel designed them in the popular Italianate style and carefully crafted a . . . — Map (db m130720) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 11 — Transit and TradeAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
The arrival of modern transportation after the Civil War transformed Anacostia. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad opened a branch line along the river here in 1874, brining industry. Two years later businessman and developer Henry Griswold launched . . . — Map (db m130721) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 10 — BloomingdaleWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
You are standing in the heart of Bloomingdale. Noted DC developer Harry Wardman, responsible for 180 Bloomingdale houses, was one of many builders who built here between 1890 and 1910. These Victorian rowhouses were designed for well-to-do . . . — Map (db m130827) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 8 — Court Nullifies Racial CovenantsWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
In the 1940s, Homeowners in the 100 block of Bryant Street breached a contract when they sold their houses to African Americans. Covenants, or agreements, in their real estate deeds prohibited "the sale of the house to anyone of the Negro race" . . . — Map (db m130828) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 11 — Dividing LineWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
This busy stretch of Rhode Island Avenue was a racial dividing line even as DC became majority African American in 1957. "African Americans were not welcome on [the north] side of the street," commented Reverend Bobby Livingston years later, . . . — Map (db m130840) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 12 — Fathers and SonsWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church celebrated its first Mass in 1901 in a nearby mansion. Father Eugene Hannan, a graduate of Gonzaga High School just south of here, founded St. Martin's to serve the growing Catholic population that dated to . . . — Map (db m130841) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 14 — Great ExpectationsWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
Bloomingdale of the 1940s and '50s was a village of high expectations. Within a block of this sign lived four young women who grew up to be judges. Anna Diggs Taylor rose to chief judge of the U.S. District Court in Michigan. The daughter . . . — Map (db m130843) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 13 — Home to HeadlinersWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
Edward Brooke, who represented Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate from 1967 to 1979, was the first African American elected to the Senate in the 20th century. Brooke was born at 1938 Third Street and later lived with his family at 1730 First . . . — Map (db m130842) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Bloomingdale — 7 — Separate SchoolsWorthy Ambition — LeDroit Park/Bloomingdale Heritage Trail
The Nathaniel Gage School for white children opened here in 1904, when Washington's public school system was segregated. By the 1930s, even though LeDroit Park was an African American neighborhood, Gage remained white only. "I had to walk by the . . . — Map (db m130839) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 6 — A Neighborhood For EveryoneTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
The buildings near this corner were built during a wave of private development that began after the United States won the Spanish-American War in 1898, and became a world power for the first time. As America flexed its muscles, the world — . . . — Map (db m130725) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 2 — At the CrossroadsTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
The large building that wraps around this corner was constructed as a department store in 1892 by Elizabeth A. Haines. She proudly advertised it as "the largest store in the world, built, owned and controlled by a woman." Back then extended . . . — Map (db m130726) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 12 — Christ Church and Its ParishionersTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
This is Christ Church, Washington Parish, the first Episcopal church established in Washington City (1794), and attended by Presidents Thomas Jefferson and John Quincy Adams. At first Christ Church met in a nearby tobacco warehouse. In 1806 . . . — Map (db m130727) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 3 — Commerce and CommunityTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
The home/music studio of John Esputa, Jr., once occupied the site of 511 Eighth Street (Shakespeare Theatre’s rehearsal hall.) Among Esputa’s students in 1861 was eight-year-old John Philip Sousa, whose irresistible marches made him one of . . . — Map (db m130728) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 1 — Edge of the RowTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
America’s oldest navy and marine installations are just blocks from where you are standing. This is the northern edge of a Capitol Hill community shaped by the presence of the U.S. military. Eighth Street is its commercial center. The . . . — Map (db m130729) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 4 — Healing the WoundedTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
In 1866 the Navy completed the hospital you see across the street to treat injured and ailing seamen. With beds for 50, it included the carriage house/stable and cast-iron fence and (around the corner) the gazebo. Its front door originally was . . . — Map (db m130732) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 13 — In the AlleyTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
[Left panel] You are standing in one of Washington’s remaining inhabited alleys, behind the buildings that face G, E (there is no F Street here), Sixth and Seventh streets. In 1897 the alley had 22 tiny dwellings sheltering well over . . . — Map (db m130734) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 14 — Life on the ParkTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
You are standing across from Marion Park, named for Francis Marion, the celebrated South Carolina state senator (1782-1790) who earned the moniker "Swamp Fox" for his brilliant stealth tactics against the British during the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m130735) HM WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 16 — Meet You At the MarketTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
This is Eastern Market, where for more than a century farm products have drawn shoppers from the neighborhood and around the city. It is Washington's only 19th-century market to remain in continuous operation to this day. Eastern Market is . . . — Map (db m130736) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 7 — Strike Up the BandTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
If you are hearing the ringing tones of band music, one of the ensembles of the world-famous United States Marine Band may be practicing inside the Marine Barracks. John Philip Sousa, the neighborhood’s most famous son, spent 19 years . . . — Map (db m130738) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 10 — Washington Navy Yard: Maker of WeaponsTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
The white brick wall in front of you marks the original northern boundary of the Navy Yard. The yard grew from its original 12 acres to 128 acres at its peak in 1962. In 2003 it consisted of 73 acres with 55 acres making up the adjacent . . . — Map (db m130739) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — 9 — Washington Navy Yard: Serving the FleetTour of Duty — Barracks Row Heritage Trail
In front of you is the main gate of the Washington Navy Yard, established in 1799. It is the U.S. Navy's oldest shore facility in continuous use. Over time, workers here have built and repaired ships and their fittings, designed and developed . . . — Map (db m130740) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Chinatown — e.6 — ChinatownCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
dragons to bring rain, prosperity and friendship More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these . . . — Map (db m130937) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Chinatown — e.10 — ChinatownCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
dragons to bring rain, prosperity, and friendship More than 280 dragons, crowned by 700 glazed tiles, look down from the Chinatown Friendship Archway before you. Symbols of the spirits that bring rain and prosperity in China, these . . . — Map (db m130938) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 3 — A City in ItselfCultural Convergence — Columbia Heights Heritage Trail
Columbia Heights by the mid 1920s was a center of white elite activity and commerce. The elegant, Neoclassical style Riggs Bank branch and the Italian Renaissance style Tivoli Theater opened to great acclaim. Soon after, radio station WRC moved . . . — Map (db m130743) HM

577 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 377
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.