Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

695 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 495
 
La maison Londonienne / The London house Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 16, 2018
La maison Londonienne / The London house Marker
Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La maison Londonienne / The London house

Au lendemain de la Conquête, les Britanniques introduisent au Québec le mode d'habiter unifamilial, qu'ils connaissent depuis le XVIIe siècle. Le Bas-Canada adopte sans délai ce nouvel art de vivre qui met un terme à la . . . — Map (db m132066) HM

Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — Villas et villégiature / Villas and Resorts

Les Britanniques implantent au Canada une nouvelle conception de la relation au territoire, qu'ils spécialisent selon divers usages et fonctions. Le centre-ville, dorénavant institutionnel, est entouré de quartiers d'habitation . . . — Map (db m131973) HM

Costa Rica, Alajuela, La Fortuna — Amelia Alfara Rojas
Center Marker: A la memoria de Amelia Alfara Rojas "Compli con mi deber civico emitiendo mi voto por primera vez el dia 30 de Julio de 1950." Municipalidad de San Carlos Center Marker . . . — Map (db m132539) HM
Costa Rica, Alajuela, San Rafael de Guatuso — Founding of the Community of San RafaelMonsenor Thiel
Centenario de la fundacion de la comunidad de San Rafael 18 Agosto 1896 - 18 Agosto 1996 A: Monseñor Thiel Por su primera visita a los indigenas Malekus. Diocesis de Ciudad Quesada Parroquia San Rafael . . . — Map (db m132536) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Engelbert Fries and Wilhelm Höpflinger
Errichteten in diesem Hause am 15. mai 1890 ihre erste Werkstätte, in der sie bis 1892 Stahlkugeln herstellten; aus ihr entwickelte sich das weltbekannte Unternehmen Fries & Höpflinger, das dem technische Fortschritt den Weg bereitete und seine . . . — Map (db m132474) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Albert von Koelliker
Hier wohnte Albert von Koelliker *6.7.1817 in Zürich   †2.11.1905 in Würzburg

1849-1902 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Experimentalphysiologie und vergleichende . . . — Map (db m131930) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Carl Caspar von Siebold
Hier wohnte Carl Caspar von Siebold *4.11.1736 in Nideggen †3.4.1807 in Würzburg

1769-1807 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Anatomie, Chirurgie und . . . — Map (db m132110) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Friedrich Daniel von Recklinghausen
Hier wohnte Friedrich Daniel von Recklinghausen *2.12.1833 in Gütersloh (Westfalen) †26.8.1910 in Straßburg

1865-1872 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Pathologische Anatomie und . . . — Map (db m132436) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Julius von Sachs
Hier wohnte Julius von Sachs *2.10.1832 in Breslau †29.5.1897 in Würzburg

1868-1897 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Botanik

Begründer der . . . — Map (db m132432) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Site of Former Manor House
Hier stand ein um 1750 erbautes Stifts Herrnhaus nach dessen Abbruch im Jahre 1908-1909 dieser Neubau errichtet wurde

-

(English translation:)

Here stood an ecclesiastical manor house (built about 1750), . . . — Map (db m132437) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Friedrich von Spee S.J.
Hier wirkte in schwerer Zeit als Lehrer am Jesuitenkolleg Friedrich von Spee S.J. *1591   +1635

Verkünder von Gottes froher Botschaft in seiner Sammlung Geistliche Lieder Trutz-Nachtigall Verteidiger . . . — Map (db m131962) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Johann Maria Farina and Eau de Cologne
Im Jahre 1709 wurde die älteste bestehende Kölnischewasserfabrik gegründet. Hier an dieser Stelle "Gegenuber" dem Jülichs-Platz stellte schon Johann Maria Farina (1685-1766) sein 'Aqua . . . — Map (db m131908) HM
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Kapelle St. Victor / St. Victor Chapel
Hier stand die Kapelle

ST. VICTOR

der Legende nach im 4. Jahrhundert von Bischof Maternus erbaut, daher auch St. Maternus genannt, urkundlich erwähnt im 12. Jahrhundert als Kapelle des Domstifts, 1497 Umbau und Neuweihe mit . . . — Map (db m132229) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Matthias Joseph Scheeben
Dieses Haus, im 17. Jahrhundert als Jesuitenkolleg erbaut, war 1827 bis 1929 erzbischöfliches Priesterseminar.

Hier wirkte von 1860 bis 1888 Matthias Joseph Scheeben der grosse deutsches . . . — Map (db m132473) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Pfarrkirche St. Laurenz / Parish Church of St. Laurenz
Hier stand die Pfarrkirche ST. LAURENZ

vielleicht hervorgegangen aus der Palastkapelle des spätantiken Praetoriums, im 10. Jahrhundert urkundlich erwähnt, im 12. Jahrhundert Bau einer größeren romanischen Kirche, im 15. . . . — Map (db m132246) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Seitenportal des römischen Nordtores/ Side Portal of North Roman GatePortail latéral de la porte romaine
Seitenportal des römischen Nordtores der CCAA

Das römische Nordtor erbaut bei Gründung der Colonie 50 nach Chr. Der mittlere Torbogen trug auf der Feldseite den Stadtnamen CCAA Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium. Von den . . . — Map (db m131906) HM

Israel, Judea and Samaria Area (Tamar Regional Council), Ein Gedi — Ahava Mineral Salts Hooper
Displayed here is Ahava's original filling instrument. Since Ahava factory opened in 1988, this tool has been utilized to fill 284,770 salt bags, 339 25 kilogram salt sacks and 729 5 kilogram salt buckets. In 1992 it officially retired and was . . . — Map (db m132155) HM
Israel, Northern District (Misgav Council), Yodfat — Ancient Yodfat
על גבעה זו שכנה בתקופת הבית השני העיירה . . . — Map (db m132004) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — History of Ashqelon
Ashqelon is a coastal city, located on the Via Maris. Its plentiful water sources and fertile soil account for its prominence throughout the ages. Its name, Ashqelon, derived from the term Sheqel, a weight-measure, attests to its role as a trade sea . . . — Map (db m132462) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — Remains of the Muslim City
Before you are remains of the moat and the wall that enclosed the Muslim city. In 1153 CE, the Crusaders conquered Ashqelon from the Muslims. In 1187 the Muslims, led by Saladin, drove the Crusaders out of the city, destroyed it and blocked up the . . . — Map (db m132466) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — Tel Ashqelon - the Canaanite City
The Middle Bronze period, Ashqelon was a prominent port town, founded ca. 1950 BCE, with a population of roughly 15,000. Its inhabitants farmed for a living and exported their agricultural produce - wine, olive oil, wheat, sheep and cattle - to . . . — Map (db m132496) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Canaanite City Gate
This is the most ancient arched gate in the world. It consists of an arched corridor with arched openings on both ends. The gate was constructed in approximately 1850 BCE as part of the city’s fortification system, and is built mostly of mud bricks . . . — Map (db m132499) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Canaanite Fortifications of Ashqelon
The Canaanite city was established in approximately 1950 BCE and some 15,000 people lived here. The 600-dunam city was fortified by a wall and a moat about 100 years after it was established, in defense against the Egyptian threat. The wall stood . . . — Map (db m132494) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Sanctuary of the Silver Calf
Before you are the remains of a sanctuary constructed within the stone glacis near the road leading from the beach to the city. The silver-coated bronze statuette of a calf was discovered inside a shrine-shaped pottery vessel in a storeroom of . . . — Map (db m132497) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Assault by Sennacherib's ArmyThe Siege Ramp
The Assyrian army built a huge stone ramp against the city walls. This ramp allowed the attackers to bring up battering rams to breach the wall. The base of the ramp you see here is about 70 meters wide and 16 meters high. As in other places in . . . — Map (db m132530) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The House of Simon the TannerOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
Various Christian traditions tell the story of Simon the Tanner, who lived in this house and hosted Peter the Apostle here. It was here that Peter raised Tabitha fom the dead and saw his famous vision in which he was commanded to eat animals . . . — Map (db m132302) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Jaffa PortOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
The Jaffa port is one of the oldest ports in the world, in almost continuous operation for the past 4,000 years. The port takes advantage of calcareous sandstone (kurkar) reefs that create a natural breakwater and safe haven. Beginning in the . . . — Map (db m132314) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Lion TempleOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
The temple got its name from a lioness' skull that was found within it, which was apparently used in a ritual performed here at the time of the Canaanites, and from an altar that served in the worship of the Canaanite goddess Ashtoreth, who is . . . — Map (db m132315) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Whale SculptureOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
According to the biblical book of Jonah. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell its inhabitants that they had sinned. But Jonah refused and instead, boarded a ship in the Jaffa port bound for Tarshish. During the voyage a storm broke out. Jonah . . . — Map (db m132301) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — 1936 San Felipe Massacre
1er. Regimiento de Caballería de la Matriz General San Felipe, Gto. En memoria de los caidos en esta plaza durante el zafarrancho del domingo 29 de marzo de 1936 que propició el arribo del Presidente de México Lázaro . . . — Map (db m132044) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — Benito Juárez in San Felipe
El 7 de junio de 1863 a su paso para el Norte, y el 2 de julio de 1867, de regreso a México, se hospedó en esta casa el C. Benito Juarez. English translation: On June 7, 1863, on his way to the North, and on July 2, . . . — Map (db m132038) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — Hidalgo's Priesthood in San Felipe
El 24 de enero de 1793 llegó Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla a encargarse del curato de San Felipe, donde realizó importante obra de valor social y político. El Pueblo del Estado de Guanajuato, su Gobierno y la Presidencia Municipal . . . — Map (db m132057) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — Hidalgo's Proclamation of Independence
El Distrito de San Felipe dedica este monumento al Padre de la Patria Sr. Cura D. Miguel Hidalgo en el primer centenario de la Proclamacion de la Independencia Nacional 16 de Septiembre de 1910. S. Vicente. 8 de mayo de 1753. Cura . . . — Map (db m132058) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — José Práxedis Gilberto Guerrero Hurtado
Centenario 1917-2017 Constitución Política de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos El H. Ayuntamiento y el pueblo de San Felipe, Gto. al Precursor de la Revolución Mexicana, José Praxedis Gilberto Guerrero Hurtado en el CXXXV . . . — Map (db m132060) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — Miguel Hidalgo in San Felipe
Desde el 23 de enero de 1793 hasta el 14 de enero de 1800 vivió en esta casa el egregio iniciador de la Independencia Nacional Sr. Cura. Dn. Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla. El Ayuntamiento de 1901, como testimonio de patriotismo, erige a . . . — Map (db m132041) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — Plaza Aquiles Serdán
Plaza Aquiles Serdan inaugurada por el C. Presidente de la Republica Mexicana Lic. Jose Lopez Portillo siendo Gobernador del Estado El C. Lic. Enrique Velasco Ibarra San Felipe, Gto. 16 de enero, 1982 English . . . — Map (db m132059) WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — The Founding of San Felipe, Guanajuato
Con motivo del 425 aniversario de la fundación de esta cd. el pueblo de San Felipe erige este monumento a nuestros símbolos patrios H. Ayuntamiento 86-88 C. Luis O. Medellin A. Presidente Mpal. 21 de enero de 1987 . . . — Map (db m132042) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of San Felipe), San Felipe — The Route of Hidalgo
El Gobernador del Estado de Guanajuato Lic. Juan Manuel Oliva Ramírez y el H. Ayuntamiento de San Felipe en el marco de los Festejos del Bicentenario Restauran la Estela de la libertad que simboliza la Ruta de la Independencia San Felipe, . . . — Map (db m132045) HM WM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Plaza de San Sebastián / Casa del Faldón / Temple of San Sebastián
Plaza de San Sebastián Hacia el otro lado del Río Querétaro se establecieron, durante la época virreinal, la mayoría de los barrios indígenas en tierras conocidas como «la Otra Banda», que contaban con frondosas huertas, árboles y . . . — Map (db m132382) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Al Libro Mayor
Al Libro Mayor Charles Danne, de origen francés, arribó a la ciudad de San Luis Potosí en 1867 y más tarde fundó “Al Libro Mayor”, siendo inicialmente una papelería y librería. Posteriormente fomentó la adquisición de . . . — Map (db m132175) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Aranzazú Square
Plaza de Aranzazú Aquí, en la parte posterior del convento de San Francisco, se encontraban los corrales, las caballerizas y la “Puerta Falsa” del mismo. La plaza fue inaugurada er 14 de diciembre de 1970. El proyecto es . . . — Map (db m132267) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Arms Square / City Hall
Plaza de Armas Esta es la plaza principal de la ciudad, donde convergen las sedes de los poderes Ejecutivo y Legislativo del Estado, el Ayuntamiento de la Capital, la Catedral y el comercio en torno a un bello jardín sombreado. Ha . . . — Map (db m131961) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Basilica of Guadalupe
Basilica de Guadalupe. A devoción y expensas del Capitan Español y Tesorero de la Caja Real, Don Francisco de Castro y Mampaso se construyo en este lugar el año de 1654, la primera ermita dedicada a Santa María de Guadalupe. Juramento . . . — Map (db m132493) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Capitán Miguel Caldera
Al Capitan Miguel Caldera franciscanos pacificadores de la region quienes con el apoyo de un grupo de tlaxcaltecas incorporaron a los guachichiles a la gran comunidad hispanica al fundar aqui el pueblo de San Luis Minas del Potosi de . . . — Map (db m132250) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Central Christian Church
Iglesia Cristiana Central Este templo, obra del Ingeniero Russel P.Cook, es un extraordinario ejemplo de la arquitectura neogótica. Cabe destacar el magnífico trabajo de cantería en sus muros almohadillados, la carpintería del cancel . . . — Map (db m132263) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — El Camino Real de Tierra AdentroThe Royal Inland Road
Camino Real de Tierra Adentro El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro ha sido inscrito en la Lista del Patrimonio Mundial en virtud de la Convención para la Protección del Patrimonio Mundial Cultural y Natural. La inscripción en esta Lista . . . — Map (db m132459) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Española Bookstore
Librería Española Este edificio fue construido entre finales del siglo XVII y principios del XVIII. Se sabe que en 1725 unas monjas compraron la propiedad para ocuparse de las labores de la Parroquia - hoy Catedral - durante el . . . — Map (db m131931) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — First Capital of the Itinerant Government
República Mexicana San Luis Potosí Primera Capital de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos en el Gobierno Itinerante durante el proceso de restuaración de la República 1863-1867 LX Legislatura 2012-2015 English translation: . . . — Map (db m132460) HM WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Former House of the Vicereine
Antigua Casa de la Virreina Data de 1736 y es la más antigua de la ciudad. Casa del alférez Manuel de la Gándara, tío de Francisca de la Gándara, única virreina mexicana, por su matrimonio con el brigadier Félix María Calleja del Rey. . . . — Map (db m131960) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Former Othón Theater
Antiguo Cine Othón Construido en parte de lo que fue la casa del comandante José Toribio de la Cortina, asesinado por los insurgentes en noviembre de 1810. Sólo se conserva una sección de la fachada original. En el patio de esta casa . . . — Map (db m132242) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Founders Square
Plaza de los Fundadores Esta plaza se llama así en honor a los fundadores de San Luis Potosí: Fray Diego de la Magdalena, Juan de Oñate y el Capitán Miguel Caldera, que fueron quienes congregaron en este sitio, de manera oficial, a . . . — Map (db m132248) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Francisco I. Madero
Francisco I. Madero Apostol de la Democracia 30-X-1873 22-11-1913 English translation: Francisco I. Madero Apostle of Democracy October 30, 1873 – February 22, 1913 — Map (db m132479) HM WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — General Ignacio Zaragoza
Homenaje al Gral. Ignacio Zaragoza Los Clubes de Leones de Coahuila, Nuevo Leon y Tamaulipas, en la ultima convención del Distrito B-3 con San Luis Potosi. 5 de mayo de 1966. English translation: . . . — Map (db m132213) WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Government Palace
Palacio de Gobierno. Neoclásico. S. XIX. Miguel Costanzo. Ejemplo de las formas neoclásicos de la arquitectura civil novohispano. Primero en usar pilastras colosales en México. A partir de 1824 fue sede del gobierno del estado, el . . . — Map (db m131947) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Government Palace / Vicereine’s House
Palacio de Gobierno Fue construido a finales del siglo XVIII por orden del Visitador José de Gálvez en sustitución de las Casas Reales que fueron destruidas por los “tumultos” resultado de la expulsión de los Jesuitas de . . . — Map (db m131948) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Guerrero Garden
Jardín Guerrero Este lugar fue originalmente la plazuela del Templo y Convento Franciscano, el cual fue parcialmente destruido en la época de la Reforma. En la década de 1970 la plaza se integró en su totalidad para hacerla peatonal. . . . — Map (db m132332) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — House of Don Félix María Calleja
Casa de Don Félix María Calleja Casa del siglo XVIII.Tiene un hermoso balcón, considerado reliquia de la arquitectura virreinal. Este balcón es uno de los más atractivos del país y el más elegante de nuestra ciudad; por lo tanto, . . . — Map (db m132179) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — José Nereo Ambrosio Rodríguez Barragán
En esta casa vivió y murió el historiador Jose Nereo Ambrosio Rodriguez Barragan, quien falleció el 26 de abril de 1979. H. Ayuntamiento 1977-1979 English translation: In this house lived and died the historian José . . . — Map (db m132472) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School
Capilla de Loreto Esta capilla, dedicada a la devoción Jesuita a la Santísima Virgen de Loreto, es una de las más bellas del país debido a su rica fachada barroca.Terminada hacia 1717, originalmente albergó una réplica de la Santa . . . — Map (db m132258) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Lupe Vélez
Rinde homenaje por su trayectoria como primera mexicana en la Meca del Cine a la diva: Lupe Vélez San Luis Potosí, 1904 – Beverly Hills, 1944 San Luis Potosí, S.L.P. México, Noviembre 2017 H. Ayuntamiento 2015-2018 San . . . — Map (db m132502) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Metropolitan Cathedral / Vicereine's Balcony
Catedral Metropolitana La Catedral de San Luis Potosí es un bello templo barroco de planta basilical con bóvedas y una torre de tres cuerpos con detalles en argamasa. Originalmente fue una sencilla ermita erigida en 1593 que creció . . . — Map (db m131942) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Miguel Hidalgo at the Basilica de Guadalupe
El inmortal caudillo de la independencia nacional, cura Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, estuvo en este templo con motivo de su dedicación y en ejercicio de su ministerio del 10 de octubre de 1800. San Luis Potosi Taller de . . . — Map (db m132495) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Miguel Hidalgo Street / Crystal Palace
Calle de Miguel Hidalgo Es la zona comercial más concurrida del Centro Histórico de la Capital Potosina y forma, junto con la calle Ignacio Zaragoza y la Calzada de Guadalupe, el eje comercial peatonal más largo de Latinoamérica. En . . . — Map (db m131986) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Minor BasilicaSanctuary of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Basílica Menor Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe La ciudad de San Luis Potosí siempre ha sido de tradición Guadalupana. Hacia 1656 existía una ermita dedicada a la Virgen de Guadalupe, cuyos muros aún se pueden observar en la . . . — Map (db m132481) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Monument to Miguel Hidalgo
1810. Este monumento se reconstruyó en septiembre de 1889 siendo Gobernardor el General Carlos Diez Gutierrez. Hecho en 1875. English translation: 1810. This monument was reconstructed in September, 1889 under . . . — Map (db m132209) WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Monument to Vicente Guerrero
Independencia o muerte English translation: Independence or Death — Map (db m132354) WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Municipal Palace
Palacio Municipal. Estilo ecléctico. S. XIX. Hacia el año 1593 Juan de Oñate y su sucesor Juan López de Riego, levantaron un edificio rudimentario para las autoridades. Aquí se demolió y reconstruyó el edificio que a través del tiempo . . . — Map (db m131963) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Museum of Masks
Museo de la Máscara El Museo de la Máscara de San Luis es uno de los mejores del país debido a su gran colección de más de un millar de máscaras, entre las que se encuentran ejemplares procedentes de casi todo el país. Encontramos . . . — Map (db m131929) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — National Presbyterian Church
Iglesia Nacional Presbiteriana Este templo Evangélico es el más antiguo de la ciudad. Fue construido en un lote en la esquina sur del ex Convento de San Francisco y la recién abierta calle de Galeana. Construido por el Ing. Russel P. . . . — Map (db m132363) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Nineteenth Century Building
Edificación Decimonónica Es una muestra típica de las casas potosinas de la época del porfiriato, que se caracterizaron por tener el nivel de piso interior elevado con respecto al nivel de la calle para dar cabida al sótano; esta . . . — Map (db m132260) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Our Lady of Remedies Temple / The Third Order Temple / San Francisco Temple
Templo de Ntra. Sra. de los Remedios Este templo formó parte del convento franciscano y su construcción concluyó en 1731 gracias a la devoción de Fray José de Arlegui. El templo es de una nave y bóveda, su fachada es sencilla y tiene . . . — Map (db m132448) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Ramón López Velarde
En esta casa vivio durante un lustro el gran poeta Ramon Lopez Velarde Homenaje de “Letras Potosinas” en el trigésimo aniversario de su muerte junio de 1951 English translation: In this house lived for . . . — Map (db m132471) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Royal Treasure / Monumental Palace
Caja Real Este importante edificio novohispano es un ejemplo único de la arquitectura real española barroca utilizada para la recolección del “quinto real” o impuesto al oro y la plata, así como para distribuir a los . . . — Map (db m131946) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — San Agustin Temple
Templo de San Agustín En 1599 los Agustinos se establecieron en San Luis Potosí con el fin de fundar una hospedería para los viajeros que se dirigían a Zacatecas por el Camino Real de Tierra Adentro. El Templo y Convento fueron . . . — Map (db m132163) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — San Agustín Temple
Templo San Agustín. Barroco. S. XVIII. Juan de Butrago En 1603 los agustinos obtienen los permisos para fundar su iglesia, atendiendo a los indios tarascos. En 1655 construyen la torre oriente, entre 1710-1712 la sacristía, en la . . . — Map (db m132165) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — San Miguelito Square
Plaza de San Miguelito El Templo de San Miguelito se fundó en 1597, después de que el alcalde mayor de San Luis les otorgara a los ind tlaxcaltecas tierras para que se asentaran. Originalmente este barrio se llamaba “De la . . . — Map (db m132477) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Temple and Ex-Convent of San Agustín
Templo y Ex Convento de San Agustín Los agustinos fundaron en San Luis Potosí una sencilla hospedería en 1592. Ahí se alojaban los misioneros que iban a Zacatecas. Posteriormente, los frailes que atendían a los indios tarascos, que . . . — Map (db m132159) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Temple and Ex-Convent of San Francisco
Templo y Ex Convento de San Francisco En 1592, a raíz del descubrimiento de las minas de Cerro de San Pedro, se fundó el pueblo de San Luis Potosí que contó con varias haciendas de beneficio. Frailes franciscanos atendían en una . . . — Map (db m132358) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Temple of Carmen and Ex-Convent of the Barefoot Carmelite Religious Order
Templo del Carmen y Ex Convento de los Religiosos Carmelitas Descalzos Gracias a la generosidad de don Nicolás Fernando de Torres y de su esposa, hacia 1749 se inició la construcción de esta magnífica iglesia barroca. El 15 de octubre . . . — Map (db m131888) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Temple of San Juan de Dios
Templo San Juan de Dios. Barroco. S. XVIII. Fray Tomas de Barrutia. Fue parte del Hospital de San Juan Bautista, patrocinado por el minero Juan de Zavala en 1611. En 1827 la Orden de los Juaninos es suspendida. Hasta 1899, el clero . . . — Map (db m131991) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Temple of San Juan de Dios / Former Model School
Templo San Juan de Dios. Su construcción data de principios del siglo XVII, siendo Prior del convento Juanino Fray Tomás de Barrutia. Los frailes de San Juan de Dios se marcharon en 1827, pasando el templo al Ayuntamiento, bajo el . . . — Map (db m131996) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — The Crystal Palace
Palacio de Cristal. Estilo ecléctico. Henry Guindon. S. XX. Ubicado donde estuvo el Colegio de Niñas de San Nicolás hacia 1730. El actual palacio se termino en 1909. Diseñado para oficinas y despachos, en el estuvo el primer ascensor . . . — Map (db m131983) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — The House of the Vicereine
Casa de la Virreina. Barroco. S. XVII. Casa habitación. Casa mas antigua de la ciudad. Data de 1736. Francisca de la Gandara salió de ella para casarse con Félix Ma. Calleja. Mas tarde Virrey de la Nueva España, de ahí tomo su . . . — Map (db m131957) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — The Plan of San Luis
1910 Plan de San Luis 1950 En uno de los departamentos de este edificio, redactaron los ilustres ciudadanos Don Francisco I. Madero, licenciado Roque Estrada, el entonces pasante de derecho Pedro Antonio Santos, Enrique Bordes Mangel . . . — Map (db m131965) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — The San Luis Potosí Cathedral
Catedral. Barroco. S. XVIII. Nicolás Sánchez Pacheco. Aquí estuvo desde 1609 la primera parroquia dedicada a la Sra. De la Expectación. Entre 1701 y 1728 se derruye y construye la nueva, de fachada estilo barroco salomónico con . . . — Map (db m131933) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Tribute to the Heroes of Mexican Independence
1810. 1910. La niñez de las escuelas oficiales de esta capital a los Heroes de la Independencia. Aldama ∙ Abasolo ∙ Lanzagorta ∙ Hidalgo ∙ Allende ∙ Jimenez ∙ Morelos ∙ N. Bravo ∙ . . . — Map (db m132024) HM WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Water Reservoir
Caja del Agua También conocida como “La Conservera,” este depósito de agua es suministrado por un acueducto subterráneo que corre por toda la Calzada de Guadalupe, desde la Cañada de Lobo, sur de la ciudad en las faldas . . . — Map (db m132478) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Building of the Convents of Santa María del Río
La Erección de los Conventos de Santa María del Río El libro “IV Centenario de la Fundación de Santa María del Río”, editado en 1943, narra la historia de los conventos tal y como los historiadores de la época lo hicieron. . . . — Map (db m132094) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — City Hall
Presidencia Municipal Inicialmente el Palacio Municipal se conocía con el nombre de Casas Reales, y era la vivienda del gobernante indígena. En el año de 1674 tuvo lugar la visita del Alcalde Mayor Martín de Mendalde, quien visitando . . . — Map (db m132076) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Dividing Line Between Otomíes and Guachichiles
Esta calle que pasa frente al Convento Franciscano, en el aspecto religioso, es la línea divisoria del Pueblo de Arriba “Otomíes” y Pueblo de abajo “Huachichiles”, quedando conformes los Gobernadores de las . . . — Map (db m132122) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Former Franciscan Convent
Ex-Convento Franciscano El otro gran edificio colonial del lugar es éste. Fue construido en el siglo XVIII y presenta características similares a los demás inmuebles que formaron parte del convento Franciscano construido en el siglo . . . — Map (db m132109) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Foundation of Santa María del Río
Fundacion de Santa María del Río Una antigua tradición señala que este pueblo, lo Fundó Juan de Santa María cacique de Jilotepec, en compañía de Pedro de Granada y Alonso de Gúzman el 15 de Agosto de 1542, día de la Asunción de la . . . — Map (db m132130) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Hidalgo Garden
Jardín Hidalgo Se le conoce también como Jardín Principal. Se consideraba, junto con la Capilla de Guadalupe, la línea divisoria que separaba a los dos grupos étnicos que habitaron el lugar en la fundación: los Guachichiles - . . . — Map (db m132084) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Martín Bautista Square
Plaza Martín Bautista La plaza originalmente fue mercado municipal. Al centro se colocó un gran monumento que en la parte superior tiene una escultura que representa el símbolo nacional: el águila. El monumento guarda en sus entrañas . . . — Map (db m132115) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Otomíes and Guachichiles
Esta calle que pasa frente a las Casas Reales y la Capilla de Guadalupe, en el Aspecto Politico; es la línea divisoria del Pueblo de Arriba “Otomies” y Pueblo de Abajo – “Guachichiles”. Habiendo sido señalada . . . — Map (db m132061) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción Este templo es el mejor ejemplo de la arquitectura colonial religiosa en la cabecera municipal. De fecha muy remota, existe una referencia de que el 15 de agosto de 1542 fueron bautizados . . . — Map (db m132081) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción Su Santidad Benedicto XVI, concedió la coronación pontifica de la venerada imagen de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción, dignándose coronarla el Excelentísimo Señor Arzobispo de San Luis Potosí, . . . — Map (db m132107) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Primo Feliciano Velázquez Rodríguez
“Al Hijo Ilustre” En conmemoración de los 140 años de su natalicio Primo Feliciano Velazquez Rodriguez Humanista, historiador, abogado, periodista, sociólogo, nahuatlato y político maderista Nace en esta ciudad el 6 de . . . — Map (db m132079) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Purísima Chapel
Capilla de la Purísima Fue la primera iglesia importante construida por los indios en el lado poniente de la Plaza de Armas, bajo la dirección de los frailes Franciscanos que habitaban en el convento. Posteriormente se le llamó . . . — Map (db m132062) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Santísimo Chapel
Capilla del Santísimo Es una de las obras arquitectónicas más importantes de Santa María del Río. Se encuentra en la Parroquia de la Asunción y su construcción es de taracería, herencia y homenaje a los artesanos de esta ciudad. En su . . . — Map (db m132086) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — The Parochial School of Music
El H. Ayuntamiento 2015-2018 de Santa María del Río y la Parroquia de la Asunción, rinden un homenaje a la Escuela Parroquial de Música 1940 -2000 Fundador e Impulsor: Pbro. Juan Banuelas y Pbro: Susano Esparragoza Vázquez Maestros: . . . — Map (db m132078) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Santa María del Río), Santa María del Río — Tourism Office
Oficina de Turismo Después de haber sido modernizado durante el siglo XIX, en años recientes este inmueble fue remodelado y una buena parte de las oficinas administrativas fueron trasladadas a otro espacio llamado “La Casona . . . — Map (db m132025) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Kiln
This Kiln was used to fire the pottery utensils manufactured in the potter's workshop. — Map (db m132403) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Kitchenמטבח
Scholars believe that this room was the common kitchen used by the inhabitants of Qumran. — Map (db m132414) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Pottery Storeroom
The utensils found here were broken in the earthquake of 31 B.C.E. — Map (db m132410) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Ritual Bath
They labor with great diligence till the fifth hour, after which they assemble themselves into one place, and when they have clothed themselves in white veils, they bath their bodies in cold water, and after this purification is over they meet . . . — Map (db m132188) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — The Bursar of the Congregation
"After he has entered the council of the community ... he shall not have any share of the property of the congregation ... and if it be his destiny to enter the company of the community ... his property and earnings shall be handed over to the . . . — Map (db m132208) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — The Refectory
"They shall eat in common and bless in common and deliberate in common ... and when the table has been prepared for eating and the new wine for drinking the priest shall be the first to stretch out his hand to bless the first provie of the bread [or . . . — Map (db m132231) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — The Scrolls Cave
Bedouins discovered this cave in August of 1952. Fourteen thousand fragments of scrolls were unearthed as they sifted through the dust within. Archaeologists who reached the cave later, uncovered an additional 1,000 fragments. Scholars believe that . . . — Map (db m132458) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Work Area
100,000 date pits and an apparatus for the production of date honey were discovered here. — Map (db m132444) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Trinity HouseIncorporated by Charter Granted by Henry VIII in 1514
Trinity House is the general lighthouse authority for England Wales and the Channel Islands. A deep sea pilotage authority and also administers charitable funds mostly connected with seafarers. The first Trinity House was at Deptford and then . . . — Map (db m131964) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Francis Barraud
In 1899 at 126 Piccadilly Francis Barraud completed his famous painting of 'Nipper' that became known as His Master's Voice — Map (db m132019) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Hay's Wharf
The land between Tooley Street and the Thames has been occupied by wharves and warehouses since the middle ages. Founded by Alexander Hay in 1651, the Hay's Wharf Company grew to own most of the quayside between London and Tower Bridges. Hay's Wharf . . . — Map (db m132009) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — The Church of St. Olave
On the ground occupied by this building stood formerly, the Church of St. Olave. This church was founded in the eleventh century in memory of St. Olaf or Olave, King of Norway who in the year 1014, helped King Ethelred defend the city of London . . . — Map (db m132010) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — The Great Fire of Tooley Street
Hay's Wharf was one of the earliest quaysides to incorporate fireproofing, using incombustible floors of brick arches on cast iron beams. Despite this Hay's Wharf was destroyed in the fire of Tooley Street of 1861. This was London's biggest fire . . . — Map (db m132007) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent County), Dover — Capt Matthew Webb
Born • Dawley • 1848 Died • Niagara • 1883 Swam from Dover to Calais Aug 24-25, 1875 — Map (db m132017) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent County), Dover — Charles Stewart Rolls
The first man to cross the channel and return in a single flight June 2, 1910 — Map (db m132012) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent County), Dover — Operation Fuller"The Channel Dash" — 12th February 1942
Side A During 1941, the German Battle Cruiser SCHARNHORST operated unchallenged in the Atlantic resulting in the sinking of 115,622 tons of British Merchant Shipping. Requiring maintenance it went to Brest harbour where it was joined by its . . . — Map (db m132492) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent County), Dover — The Royal Norwegian Navy
This plaque honours the men of The Royal Norwegian Navy Who operated from Dover between 1940-1945 — Map (db m132015) WM
United Kingdom, England (Wiltshire), Salisbury — Major Alexander William Hewetson
In Memory of Major Alexander William Hewetson 66th Battery Royal Field Artillerty Who was killed whilst flying on the 17th July 1913 near this spot. — Map (db m132030) HM WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Blakeley — Fort Blakeley (Fort Blakely*)
Fort Blakeley, named for the town which it surrounded, was one of two major Confederate defensive positions protecting eastern approaches to Mobile during the Civil War. The fort consisted of a nearly three mile long series of entrenchments anchored . . . — Map (db m131891) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Blakeley — The Battle of Fort Blakeley
You are standing on the site of the last grand charge of the Civil War, made during the Battle of Fort Blakeley on April 9. 1865. The battle was the climax of a months-long campaign that led ultimately to the capture of the city of Mobile by Union . . . — Map (db m131890) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Blakeley — The Siege of Fort Blakeley
"Each man was provided with a spade, and at the given signal, the line advanced in good shape, though opposed by a sharp fire." Brig. Gen. Christopher C. Andrews The Union Army laid siege to Fort Blakeley for over a week prior to the . . . — Map (db m131932) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Blakeley — The United States Colored Troops (USCT) at the Battle of Fort Blakeley
Greater gallantry than was shown by officers and men could hardly be desired. The (troops) were burning with an impulse to do honor to their race, and rushed forward with intense enthusiasm, in face of a terrible fire." Brig. Gen. . . . — Map (db m131903) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — D. A. Smith High School/ Professor D. A. Smith, PrincipalDale County
D. A. Smith High School Dale County The first school building on this site for African Americans was constructed in 1939 and was named Ozark Negro High School. It was replaced during the “separate but equal” period in 1952 and . . . — Map (db m132087) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Brown Chapel A.M.E. ChurchSelma to Montgomery National Historic Trail
Brown A.M.E. Chapel (in front of you) served as a safe haven for supporters during the voting rights campaign. Pastor P.H. Lewis and his congregation courageously broke the injunction prohibiting African Americans from holding mass meetings, making . . . — Map (db m131995) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Federal Building and U.S. Court HouseNational Register of Historic Places
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places March 26, 1976 Federal Building U.S. Courthouse Selma, Alabama James Knox Taylor Architect 1909 This property significantly contributes to the nation’s cultural heritage . . . — Map (db m131992) HM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Lynching in America / Lynching in Selma
Lynching in America

Thousands of African Americans were victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between the Civil War and World War II. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism . . . — Map (db m132071) HM

Alabama (Geneva County), Geneva — Emma Knox Kenan LibraryFounded 1904
Mrs. Emma Knox Kenan established the library at the request of school superintendent W.W. Benson in a small cloak room of the Geneva School. The library was financed by subscriptions, book rentals and fund raisers. The property where the library now . . . — Map (db m131869) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Limits — 1711
This site marks the southwestern limit of the city of Mobile in 1711. Known then as Fort Louis de la Mobile, it had been founded by the French at 27-Mile Bluff in 1702 and moved to its present site in 1711. Mobile has been a city under six . . . — Map (db m131883) HM
Arizona (Pinal County), Florence — Ross/Fryer – Cushman ResidenceHistoric Site
In 1876, Roderick Ross, one of Florence's first blacksmiths, constructed this Sonoran-style adobe house. The original flat earthen roof made of round log beams, saguaro ribs, and mud is well-preserved by a gable roof added between 1899 and 1910. . . . — Map (db m131734) HM
Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Fire and Brick & StoneUpper Spring

The neighborhood above the current First Baptist Church burned in the Great Fire of 1883, the first of four Great Fires which destroyed most of the town's early wooden structures. New commercial buildings were built of more fire-resistant . . . — Map (db m131739) HM

Arkansas (Saline, County), Benton — C.W. Lewis Stadium
C.S. Lewis Stadium Dedicated Sept. 21, 1934 Benton 19-Arkadelphia 0 Benton School Board Predisent (1868-1928) 1918-1928 Civic leader and Education Advocate. — Map (db m131956) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Mattachine Steps
Harry Hay founded the Mattachine Society on this hillside on November 11, 1950. — Map (db m131767) HM
California (Riverside County), North Shore — North Shore Beach & Yacht Club1958
This property has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Designed by architect Albert Frey, the building resembles a ship with its curved prow, second-story ‘bridge’, porthole . . . — Map (db m131763) HM
California (San Benito County), Tres Pinos — Palmtag Cutting Shed
Once a common sight in the rural Hollister area, apricot cutting sheds were where the harvested apricots were cut in half and then were placed on wood trays to be dried in the sun. The apricot season usually started at the same time that school got . . . — Map (db m132535) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — A Memorable Muse
From 1914 to 1972, this area was occupied by the popular amusement center known as Playland-at-the-Beach. Imagine how it must have looked and felt when as many as 65,000 people frolicked here on weekends while taking in sea air mingled with the . . . — Map (db m131926) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Aviation Firsts: Crissy Army Airfield
In the 1920s Army aviators flew wood-and-fabric covered biplanes on daring experimental missions. In 1919, Army Air Corps Major Henry "Hap" Arnold chose this site for a pioneer Army airfield. Arnold's pilots flew both regular aircraft and . . . — Map (db m132489) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Congressman Phillip Burton1926-1983
Powerful, profane, brilliant, fierce—think about Phil Burton and you have to think in big, dramatic terms. He wasn't a moderate man. Elected to Congress from San Francisco in 1964, he fought for workers' rights, for seniors and people with . . . — Map (db m132243) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Crissy Field Transformed
The view before you to the east is one of the greatest transformations at the Presidio since it became a national park in 1994. Originally a tidal marsh, the wetlands were filled in and leased to build part of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International . . . — Map (db m132490) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Mason Historic DistrictU.S. Army post (1864-1966)
First fortified by the Spanish in 1797, this bluff above the bay was re-armed by the U.S. Army in 1864. The post remained active through the Civil War, western Indian Wars, and conflicts abroad, beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898. . . . — Map (db m132330) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point National Historic Site
What is Fort Point? Once called the "Pride of the Pacific" and "Gibraltar of the West Coast," Fort Point is a brick and granite coastal defense fortification built by the U.S. Army between 1853 and 1861. It was part of a seacoast defense . . . — Map (db m132513) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point National Historic Site
What is Fort Point? Once called the "Pride of the Pacific" and "Gibraltar of the West Coast," Fort Point is a brick and granite coastal defense fortification built by the U.S. Army between 1853 and 1861. It was part of a seacoast defense . . . — Map (db m132540) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Golden Gate Park: A Brief History
Before Golden Gate Park was built there was a great debate on where the park should be located. Three choices were on the table, the current location (at that time called the "outside lands"), the presidio, and a long linear park through Hayes . . . — Map (db m132077) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Hints of History
Looking around today's Ocean Beach, it's difficult to visualize Playland and the surrounding areas as they once were. But there are plenty of reminders all around you. Just south of here at Golden Gate Park's west entry stands the Dutch . . . — Map (db m131928) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Historic Trees
. . . — Map (db m132090) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Historical Site
On this site, from Sutro Heights Park to Golden Gate Park, from the early 1920s until 1972, stood the world famous Playland-at-the-Beach amusement park. This monument is fondly dedicated to the remembrance of those days of fun and laughter at the . . . — Map (db m132043) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Japanese Tea GardenWorld Villages
In the winter of 1894 the California Midwinter Exposition arrived in Golden Gate Park. Some of the most popular attractions at the fair were exhibits of people from around the world; Native Americans, Egyptians, Aleutians, Hawaiians, Turks, South . . . — Map (db m132112) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Japanese Tea Garden Gates
The reconstruction of the Japanese Tea Garden gates was the result of efforts by San Francisco Mayor Dianne Feinstein and Mayor Yasushi Oshima of our sister city, Osaka, Japan. The gates were designed by Ohbayashi Corporation while the . . . — Map (db m132104) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Lombard StreetThe Crookedest Street in the World — San Francisco, California
Lombard Street is known as the "Crookedest Street" in the World. You will climb 253 steps on the left side and 249 steps on the right side of the street. There are 8 switchbacks and 12 flowerbeds with over 2000 blue and purple hydrangeas. The . . . — Map (db m132206) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Montgomery Street Barracks
"In the years between the Civil War [1861-64] and the Spanish-American War [1898], the health of the army improved drastically. The new concern for soldiers’ well-being; the emphasis on sanitation, which became realizable in the new buildings . . . — Map (db m132483) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Old and New: Presidio Fire Station
New additions should be designed and constructed so that the character-defining feautures of the historic building are not radically changed, obscured, damaged, or destroyed in the process of rehabilitaion. New design should always be clearly . . . — Map (db m132465) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Post Chapel
Early in the twentieth century, the Presidio became the Army's most prestigious west coast installation. The Army began constructing Mission style buildings with white walls and red tile roofs to reflect the post's California heritage. This Post . . . — Map (db m132480) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The California Academy of Sciences
The 1906 earthquake had devastating consequences for the California Academy of Sciences. Immediately following the earthquake, dedicated staff members were able to rush to the Academy before the fire arrived and saved one carload of precious . . . — Map (db m132051) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The California Midwinter International Exposition
The Midwinter Exposition covered 160 acres and opened officially on January 27, 1894. 180 structures representing all California Counties, 4 other states, the Arizona Territory, and 18 foreign nations and villages, including a Japanese Village, . . . — Map (db m132056) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The City at Play
In the mid-1800s, the Gold Rush brought San Francisco new residents, booming business, and the need for a place to celebrate. Ocean Beach, with its unparalleled views, fresh air, and vast stretch of smooth sandy shoreline, offered the perfect . . . — Map (db m131914) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park
In 1919, major portions of the second de Young museum were completed in the Spanish Plateresque style. The central section and the tower were added in 1921, and the west wing in 1925. The original building was deemed unsafe and demolished in . . . — Map (db m132072) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Music ConcourseGolden Gate Park Band
The general arrangement of the Music Concourse is based upon Michael O'Shaughnessy's design of the Grand Court for the California Midwinter Exposition of 1894. Remnants of the Midwinter Exposition can still be seen today; the dome-topped bollards . . . — Map (db m132132) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Ticket to Ride
Many bus routes currently ending at this terminal began as nineteenth-century streetcar lines transporting city folks over sand dunes to the Western shore. Prior to 1884, San Francisco's transit service to Ocean Beach was via omnibus — . . . — Map (db m131952) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Turning Sand to Gold
In 1884, on this very spot, there was a small beachside amusement center consisting of [...] offering refreshments, games, and rides. [...] years later, amusements pioneers Arthur Looff and John Friedle transformed this campy carnival by the sea . . . — Map (db m132028) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Western Defense Command Headquarters
Across the street to your left is Building 35. Lives were changed by decisions made here. Originally built as cavalry barracks in 1912, it was converted in 1918 for the School of Bakers and Cooks and then in 1921 to serve as the headquarters of the . . . — Map (db m132417) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Wetlands Renaissance
Original "Wasteland" Filled This recreated tidal marsh and lagoon recoup a fragment of a luxuriant 130-acre marsh system that once stretched along this shoreline. Abounding in life, the marsh offered the native Yelamu people an ideal . . . — Map (db m132412) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Sunnyvale — Del Monte Building
The Del Monte Building was constructs by the Madison and Bonner Company in 1904 adjacent to the Southern Pacific Railroad on the northwest corner of Sunnyvale and Evelyn Avenues. For the first 26 years dried fruit from local orchards was processed . . . — Map (db m132515) HM
California (Ventura County), Moorpark — 55 — Moorpark’s Community Church
This church is a unique combination of two historic buildings, the Epworth and the Somis churches. Retired Methodist ministers established the Epworth Colony in what is now the Fairview district of Moorpark. A small chapel was built in 1894 . . . — Map (db m131705) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 46 — Tanner HomesteadVentura County Historical Landmark #46
The west portion of this house, which was built in the 1870s, is the original Tanner Home. Albert Miles Tanner was a member of the Mormon Battalion at the time of the War with Mexico. He opened the first hotel in Sacramento with Sam Brannon. Later . . . — Map (db m131741) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — The History of the Howell Mill Site
1680 Alexander Humphrey obtains title to 600 acres south of Isaac Branch. The tract is called Brecknock. 1740 John Hill builds the first mill at Brecknock. 1746 John Clayton, Jr. purchases the mill at Brecknock from John Hill. . . . — Map (db m131998) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Delaware DecidesFirst State National Historical Park
In early December 1787 the thirty delegates to the Delaware ratifying convention were called upon to make a momentous decision. For five days they considered whether to approve the new, stronger central government proposed at the Constitutional . . . — Map (db m131993) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The GreenFirst State National Historical Park
William Penn established the town of Dover in 1683. As surveyed in 1717, the town featured three public squares including The Green. Surrounded by government buildings, shops, homes, and taverns, The Green became the heart of Dover. During the . . . — Map (db m131997) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Felton — KC-105 — Felton Railroad Station
In 1836 the Delaware General Assembly chartered the Delaware Railroad for the purpose of building a line from a junction with the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad to the southern border of the state. Due to poor economic conditions, construction . . . — Map (db m132075) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — David A. Clarke1943 - 1997
David A. Clarke was born on October 13, 1943. He grew up in the Southeast and Shaw neighborhoods of Washington attending Thompson Elementary, Jefferson High and Western High Schools. In 1965, he graduated from The George Washington University where . . . — Map (db m132457) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — W.1 — The Church of the EpiphanyCivil War to Civil Rights — Downtown Heritage Trail
“Carpets, cushions, and hymnbooks were packed away... ambulances began to stop... lastly come the surgeons....” Margaret Leech, Reveille in Washington. Church spires dominated the skyline of . . . — Map (db m131862) HM
Florida (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — The Troops that Built Fort Howell / Camp Baird
The Troops that Built Fort Howell Construction of Fort Howell was begun by the 32nd U.S. Colored Infantry and completed by the 144th New York Infantry. The 500-man 32nd Colored Infantry was organized at Camp William Penn, Philadelphia, . . . — Map (db m131839) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Florida's First PeopleSeminole Heritage Trail
Prior to the Spanish arrival in the 1500s, there were hundreds of thousands of Native Americans living in Florida. Evidence of their diverse culture has been discovered in the mounds, earthworks, middens and other archaeological sites found . . . — Map (db m132271) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Fort CooperFlorida's Seminole Wars
Setting the Scene In the Spring of 1836, President Andrew Jackson ordered General Winfield Scott, commander of the U.S. Army in Florida, to punish and defeat the belligerent Seminoles. Gen. Scott devised a complicated plan in which three . . . — Map (db m132055) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Life Along the WithlacoocheeSeminole Heritage Trail
Adapting to Life in the Cove Necessities of Life Before the Seminole were forced to move to the Cove, they were farmers and ranchers who lived in sturdy log homes and based their wealth on large herds of cattle and extensive crops. Unlike the . . . — Map (db m132276) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Lonely Outpost in a Hostile LandSeminole Heritage Trail
The Siege of Fort Cooper
A Hastily Built Defense In March 1836, General Winfield Scott launched a campaign to surround the Seminole in the Cove with an army of approximately 5,000 men. While marching to Fort Brooke in Tampa they stopped . . . — Map (db m132281) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Old Military Road
This wagon trail led between Fort Brooke and Fort King along the west side of the Cove of the Withlacoochee. — Map (db m132280) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — The Seminole in the Cove of the WithlacoocheeSeminole Heritage Trail
Seminole Migration Story of Survival The Seminole are descendants of the Muscogee group consisting primarily of Creek Indians from Georgia and Alabama. In the early 1700s, various bands of Creeks and other Muskogean peoples began to migrate . . . — Map (db m132273) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — War Comes to the CoveSeminole Heritage Trail
The Second Seminole War Begins
A Year of Victory for the Seminole In the early 1830s pressure to remove Florida's Indians grew intense. Seminole leaders signed treaties in 1832 and 1833 that called for the tribe to relocate within three . . . — Map (db m132277) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — Hernando County Confederate Monument
(southwest side)C.S.A 1861-1865 Erected by Brooksville Chapter No. 71 United Daughters of the Confederacy June 3, 1916. ”Love Makes Memory Eternal.” Confederate Soldiers (northeast side)This monument perpetuates the . . . — Map (db m132098) WM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — Hernando County War Memorial
In loving memory of those who gave their lives in the service of their country World War I World War II Korea Vietnam Erected by American Legion in cooperation with the Hernando County Action ‘76 Committee and the Florida State Bicentennial . . . — Map (db m132461) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Rider Encampment
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, this area was the campsite of the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry Regiment commanded by Colonel Leonard Wood (Medal of Honor recipient) and later Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt. Known as . . . — Map (db m132476) HM
Florida (Lafayette County), Mayo — F-368 — Mayo, County Seat of Lafayette County
Established in 1874 by John B. Whitfield, Mayo was named in honor of James M. Mayo, a colonel in the Confederate Army and father of Nathan Mayo, who served as State Commissioner of Agriculture from 1923 to 1960. Mayo became the county seat of . . . — Map (db m132099) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-45 — Leon County
Originally part of Escambia and later Gadsden Counties, Leon was created by the territorial legislature in 1824. Named for Juan Ponce de Leon, discoverer of Florida, it became antebellum Florida's most prosperous and populous county. Cotton thrived . . . — Map (db m131866) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — From Disaster to Award-Winning Design
On June 17, 1955, a fire "of undetermined origin" raced through several of the attractive, 1949 Spanish-style buildings, including the gift shop, café, and offices. Victor A. Lundy, an architect from Sarasota, was selected to design the new . . . — Map (db m132198) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — Osceola1804-1838
October 23, 1834, the Seminole Indians met in council at these springs to discuss demands of the United States for their removal to the West. Osceola, then an obscure sub-chief, swayed the council with his oratory and set the Indians against . . . — Map (db m132200) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — Steamboats at the Spring
The first paddle-wheel steamboat to operate in northeast Florida was the Florida in 1834, running once a week from Savannah, Georgia to Picolata on the St. Johns River. After the Civil War, in late 1860s, travelers from northern states . . . — Map (db m132199) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Crossing the Everglades
The Tamiami Trail was crucial to opening up the wilderness and creating a link to Florida's major cities. Building a road through the heart of the Everglades was no easy task, but with the power of human ingenuity the builders were able to develop . . . — Map (db m132100) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Life Along the Tamiami
The Tamiami Trail changed life in South Florida forever. Crossing the state went from being a multi-day sea and train journey through the Keys to a motor car drive of only a few hours. It opened up access to an area that was considered by most to be . . . — Map (db m132095) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Restoring The Everglades
With the perspective of time, the engineering marvel of the Tamiami Trail and its effect are being viewed in a different light. The early desire to conquer the swamp and control the water flow of this untamed wilderness changed the Everglades . . . — Map (db m132096) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Bumby Hardware
Joseph Bumby, Sr. came from Great Britain in 1873. He started selling hay, grain and fertilizer from a warehouse on Church Street. When the railroad arrived in 1880 his warehouse was used as the depot and he was the ticket agent. In 1886, Bumby . . . — Map (db m132082) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Dr. Phillips House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132197) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tierra Verde — 12-inch Seacoast Mortar: Model 1890-M1
These 12-inch mortars were manufactured at the Watervliet Arsenal, Watervliet, New York in 1901. The carriages are the Model 1896 and were manufactured by the American Hoist and Derrick Company, St. Paul, Minnesota. The fortification you are . . . — Map (db m131892) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tierra Verde — Fort De Soto Quartermaster Storehouse Museum
The Fort De Soto Quartermaster Storehouse Museum is a reconstruction of the Army Quartermaster Storehouse at Fort De Soto in the early 1900s. This building was used primarily as a warehouse for supplies from 1905 until 1910. At one point, the Army . . . — Map (db m131894) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tierra Verde — Spanish American War Memorial
May 11, 1963 This park is gratefully dedicated in memory of the American Patriots who served their country during the Spanish American War 1898 — Map (db m131886) WM
Florida (Pinellas County), Tierra Verde — Spanish-American War Cannons from Egmont Key
This 6-inch Rapid Fire Armstrong Rifle was purchased from England in 1898, because the United States did not yet have the capability to produce a small, rapid fire weapon for the defense of its principal harbors. The advent of the Spanish-American . . . — Map (db m131889) HM
Florida (St Johns), St. Augustine — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for liberty, . . . — Map (db m132468) WM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Don Pedro Menendez De Aviles
Bronze statue of the illustrious son of Aviles, Spain, Governor, Captain General “Conquistador”, and Adelantado of Florida who founded St. Augustine on September 8, 1565. The Statue was a gift of the people of St. Augustine, dedicated . . . — Map (db m132482) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Mary Bartelme, Illinois’ First Female Judge
This park is named for Mary Bartelme (1866-1954), a pioneering Illinois Lawyer. Bartelme became the first female judge in Illinois (1923) and the second female judge in the United States. Born at Fulton and Halsted Streets in Chicago, she became a . . . — Map (db m132021) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Patterson-McCormick Mansion
Originally built in 1891 for Elinor "Cissy" Patterson by architect Stanford White and late enlarged and occupied by Cyrus H. McCormick. This landmark property is now individual condominium residences. — Map (db m132002) HM

695 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 495
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.