Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

418 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 218
 
La maison Londonienne / The London house Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 16, 2018
La maison Londonienne / The London house Marker
Quebec (Rimouski-Neigette MRC), Rimouski — La maison Londonienne / The London house

Au lendemain de la Conquête, les Britanniques introduisent au Québec le mode d'habiter unifamilial, qu'ils connaissent depuis le XVIIe siècle. Le Bas-Canada adopte sans délai ce nouvel art de vivre qui met un terme à la . . . — Map (db m132066) HM

Costa Rica, Alajuela, La Fortuna — Amelia Alfara Rojas
Center Marker: A la memoria de Amelia Alfara Rojas "Compli con mi deber civico emitiendo mi voto por primera vez el dia 30 de Julio de 1950." Municipalidad de San Carlos Center Marker . . . — Map (db m132539) HM
Costa Rica, Alajuela, San Rafael de Guatuso — Founding of the Community of San RafaelMonsenor Thiel
Centenario de la fundacion de la comunidad de San Rafael 18 Agosto 1896 - 18 Agosto 1996 A: Monseñor Thiel Por su primera visita a los indigenas Malekus. Diocesis de Ciudad Quesada Parroquia San Rafael . . . — Map (db m132536) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Schweinfurt — Engelbert Fries and Wilhelm Höpflinger
Errichteten in diesem Hause am 15. mai 1890 ihre erste Werkstätte, in der sie bis 1892 Stahlkugeln herstellten; aus ihr entwickelte sich das weltbekannte Unternehmen Fries & Höpflinger, das dem technische Fortschritt den Weg bereitete und seine . . . — Map (db m132474) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Friedrich Daniel von Recklinghausen
Hier wohnte Friedrich Daniel von Recklinghausen *2.12.1833 in Gütersloh (Westfalen) †26.8.1910 in Straßburg

1865-1872 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Pathologische Anatomie und . . . — Map (db m132436) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Julius von Sachs
Hier wohnte Julius von Sachs *2.10.1832 in Breslau †29.5.1897 in Würzburg

1868-1897 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Botanik

Begründer der . . . — Map (db m132432) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Site of Former Manor House
Hier stand ein um 1750 erbautes Stifts Herrnhaus nach dessen Abbruch im Jahre 1908-1909 dieser Neubau errichtet wurde

-

(English translation:)

Here stood an ecclesiastical manor house (built about 1750), . . . — Map (db m132437) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Kapelle St. Victor / St. Victor Chapel
Hier stand die Kapelle

ST. VICTOR

der Legende nach im 4. Jahrhundert von Bischof Maternus erbaut, daher auch St. Maternus genannt, urkundlich erwähnt im 12. Jahrhundert als Kapelle des Domstifts, 1497 Umbau und Neuweihe mit . . . — Map (db m132229) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Matthias Joseph Scheeben
Dieses Haus, im 17. Jahrhundert als Jesuitenkolleg erbaut, war 1827 bis 1929 erzbischöfliches Priesterseminar.

Hier wirkte von 1860 bis 1888 Matthias Joseph Scheeben der grosse deutsches . . . — Map (db m132473) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Pfarrkirche St. Laurenz / Parish Church of St. Laurenz
Hier stand die Pfarrkirche ST. LAURENZ

vielleicht hervorgegangen aus der Palastkapelle des spätantiken Praetoriums, im 10. Jahrhundert urkundlich erwähnt, im 12. Jahrhundert Bau einer größeren romanischen Kirche, im 15. . . . — Map (db m132246) HM

Israel, Judea and Samaria Area (Tamar Regional Council), Ein Gedi — Ahava Mineral Salts Hooper
Displayed here is Ahava's original filling instrument. Since Ahava factory opened in 1988, this tool has been utilized to fill 284,770 salt bags, 339 25 kilogram salt sacks and 729 5 kilogram salt buckets. In 1992 it officially retired and was . . . — Map (db m132155) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — History of Ashqelon
Ashqelon is a coastal city, located on the Via Maris. Its plentiful water sources and fertile soil account for its prominence throughout the ages. Its name, Ashqelon, derived from the term Sheqel, a weight-measure, attests to its role as a trade sea . . . — Map (db m132462) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — Remains of the Muslim City
Before you are remains of the moat and the wall that enclosed the Muslim city. In 1153 CE, the Crusaders conquered Ashqelon from the Muslims. In 1187 the Muslims, led by Saladin, drove the Crusaders out of the city, destroyed it and blocked up the . . . — Map (db m132466) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — Tel Ashqelon - the Canaanite City
The Middle Bronze period, Ashqelon was a prominent port town, founded ca. 1950 BCE, with a population of roughly 15,000. Its inhabitants farmed for a living and exported their agricultural produce - wine, olive oil, wheat, sheep and cattle - to . . . — Map (db m132496) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Canaanite City Gate
This is the most ancient arched gate in the world. It consists of an arched corridor with arched openings on both ends. The gate was constructed in approximately 1850 BCE as part of the city’s fortification system, and is built mostly of mud bricks . . . — Map (db m132499) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Canaanite Fortifications of Ashqelon
The Canaanite city was established in approximately 1950 BCE and some 15,000 people lived here. The 600-dunam city was fortified by a wall and a moat about 100 years after it was established, in defense against the Egyptian threat. The wall stood . . . — Map (db m132494) HM
Israel, Southern District, Ashkelon — The Sanctuary of the Silver Calf
Before you are the remains of a sanctuary constructed within the stone glacis near the road leading from the beach to the city. The silver-coated bronze statuette of a calf was discovered inside a shrine-shaped pottery vessel in a storeroom of . . . — Map (db m132497) HM
Israel, Southern District (Lakhish Regional Council), Lachish — Assault by Sennacherib's ArmyThe Siege Ramp
The Assyrian army built a huge stone ramp against the city walls. This ramp allowed the attackers to bring up battering rams to breach the wall. The base of the ramp you see here is about 70 meters wide and 16 meters high. As in other places in . . . — Map (db m132530) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The House of Simon the TannerOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
Various Christian traditions tell the story of Simon the Tanner, who lived in this house and hosted Peter the Apostle here. It was here that Peter raised Tabitha fom the dead and saw his famous vision in which he was commanded to eat animals . . . — Map (db m132302) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Jaffa PortOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
The Jaffa port is one of the oldest ports in the world, in almost continuous operation for the past 4,000 years. The port takes advantage of calcareous sandstone (kurkar) reefs that create a natural breakwater and safe haven. Beginning in the . . . — Map (db m132314) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Lion TempleOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
The temple got its name from a lioness' skull that was found within it, which was apparently used in a ritual performed here at the time of the Canaanites, and from an altar that served in the worship of the Canaanite goddess Ashtoreth, who is . . . — Map (db m132315) HM
Israel, Tel Aviv District (Jaffa), Tel Aviv-Yafo — The Whale SculptureOld City of Jaffa — The Gate to the Ancient World
According to the biblical book of Jonah. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell its inhabitants that they had sinned. But Jonah refused and instead, boarded a ship in the Jaffa port bound for Tarshish. During the voyage a storm broke out. Jonah . . . — Map (db m132301) HM
Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Plaza de San Sebastián / Casa del Faldón / Temple of San Sebastián
Plaza de San Sebastián Hacia el otro lado del Río Querétaro se establecieron, durante la época virreinal, la mayoría de los barrios indígenas en tierras conocidas como «la Otra Banda», que contaban con frondosas huertas, árboles y . . . — Map (db m132382) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Al Libro Mayor
Al Libro Mayor Charles Danne, de origen francés, arribó a la ciudad de San Luis Potosí en 1867 y más tarde fundó “Al Libro Mayor”, siendo inicialmente una papelería y librería. Posteriormente fomentó la adquisición de . . . — Map (db m132175) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Aranzazú Square
Plaza de Aranzazú Aquí, en la parte posterior del convento de San Francisco, se encontraban los corrales, las caballerizas y la “Puerta Falsa” del mismo. La plaza fue inaugurada er 14 de diciembre de 1970. El proyecto es . . . — Map (db m132267) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Basilica of Guadalupe
Basilica de Guadalupe. A devoción y expensas del Capitan Español y Tesorero de la Caja Real, Don Francisco de Castro y Mampaso se construyo en este lugar el año de 1654, la primera ermita dedicada a Santa María de Guadalupe. Juramento . . . — Map (db m132493) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Capitán Miguel Caldera
Al Capitan Miguel Caldera franciscanos pacificadores de la region quienes con el apoyo de un grupo de tlaxcaltecas incorporaron a los guachichiles a la gran comunidad hispanica al fundar aqui el pueblo de San Luis Minas del Potosi de . . . — Map (db m132250) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Central Christian Church
Iglesia Cristiana Central Este templo, obra del Ingeniero Russel P.Cook, es un extraordinario ejemplo de la arquitectura neogótica. Cabe destacar el magnífico trabajo de cantería en sus muros almohadillados, la carpintería del cancel . . . — Map (db m132263) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — El Camino Real de Tierra AdentroThe Royal Inland Road
Camino Real de Tierra Adentro El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro ha sido inscrito en la Lista del Patrimonio Mundial en virtud de la Convención para la Protección del Patrimonio Mundial Cultural y Natural. La inscripción en esta Lista . . . — Map (db m132459) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — First Capital of the Itinerant Government
República Mexicana San Luis Potosí Primera Capital de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos en el Gobierno Itinerante durante el proceso de restuaración de la República 1863-1867 LX Legislatura 2012-2015 English translation: . . . — Map (db m132460) HM WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Former Othón Theater
Antiguo Cine Othón Construido en parte de lo que fue la casa del comandante José Toribio de la Cortina, asesinado por los insurgentes en noviembre de 1810. Sólo se conserva una sección de la fachada original. En el patio de esta casa . . . — Map (db m132242) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Founders Square
Plaza de los Fundadores Esta plaza se llama así en honor a los fundadores de San Luis Potosí: Fray Diego de la Magdalena, Juan de Oñate y el Capitán Miguel Caldera, que fueron quienes congregaron en este sitio, de manera oficial, a . . . — Map (db m132248) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Francisco I. Madero
Francisco I. Madero Apostol de la Democracia 30-X-1873 22-11-1913 English translation: Francisco I. Madero Apostle of Democracy October 30, 1873 – February 22, 1913 — Map (db m132479) HM WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — General Ignacio Zaragoza
Homenaje al Gral. Ignacio Zaragoza Los Clubes de Leones de Coahuila, Nuevo Leon y Tamaulipas, en la ultima convención del Distrito B-3 con San Luis Potosi. 5 de mayo de 1966. English translation: . . . — Map (db m132213) WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Guerrero Garden
Jardín Guerrero Este lugar fue originalmente la plazuela del Templo y Convento Franciscano, el cual fue parcialmente destruido en la época de la Reforma. En la década de 1970 la plaza se integró en su totalidad para hacerla peatonal. . . . — Map (db m132332) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — House of Don Félix María Calleja
Casa de Don Félix María Calleja Casa del siglo XVIII.Tiene un hermoso balcón, considerado reliquia de la arquitectura virreinal. Este balcón es uno de los más atractivos del país y el más elegante de nuestra ciudad; por lo tanto, . . . — Map (db m132179) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — José Nereo Ambrosio Rodríguez Barragán
En esta casa vivió y murió el historiador Jose Nereo Ambrosio Rodriguez Barragan, quien falleció el 26 de abril de 1979. H. Ayuntamiento 1977-1979 English translation: In this house lived and died the historian José . . . — Map (db m132472) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Loreto Chapel / Jesuit Temple / Former Jesuit Convent and School
Capilla de Loreto Esta capilla, dedicada a la devoción Jesuita a la Santísima Virgen de Loreto, es una de las más bellas del país debido a su rica fachada barroca.Terminada hacia 1717, originalmente albergó una réplica de la Santa . . . — Map (db m132258) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Lupe Vélez
Rinde homenaje por su trayectoria como primera mexicana en la Meca del Cine a la diva: Lupe Vélez San Luis Potosí, 1904 – Beverly Hills, 1944 San Luis Potosí, S.L.P. México, Noviembre 2017 H. Ayuntamiento 2015-2018 San . . . — Map (db m132502) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Miguel Hidalgo at the Basilica de Guadalupe
El inmortal caudillo de la independencia nacional, cura Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, estuvo en este templo con motivo de su dedicación y en ejercicio de su ministerio del 10 de octubre de 1800. San Luis Potosi Taller de . . . — Map (db m132495) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Minor BasilicaSanctuary of Our Lady of Guadalupe
Basílica Menor Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe La ciudad de San Luis Potosí siempre ha sido de tradición Guadalupana. Hacia 1656 existía una ermita dedicada a la Virgen de Guadalupe, cuyos muros aún se pueden observar en la . . . — Map (db m132481) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Monument to Miguel Hidalgo
1810. Este monumento se reconstruyó en septiembre de 1889 siendo Gobernardor el General Carlos Diez Gutierrez. Hecho en 1875. English translation: 1810. This monument was reconstructed in September, 1889 under . . . — Map (db m132209) WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Monument to Vicente Guerrero
Independencia o muerte English translation: Independence or Death — Map (db m132354) WM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — National Presbyterian Church
Iglesia Nacional Presbiteriana Este templo Evangélico es el más antiguo de la ciudad. Fue construido en un lote en la esquina sur del ex Convento de San Francisco y la recién abierta calle de Galeana. Construido por el Ing. Russel P. . . . — Map (db m132363) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Nineteenth Century Building
Edificación Decimonónica Es una muestra típica de las casas potosinas de la época del porfiriato, que se caracterizaron por tener el nivel de piso interior elevado con respecto al nivel de la calle para dar cabida al sótano; esta . . . — Map (db m132260) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Our Lady of Remedies Temple / The Third Order Temple / San Francisco Temple
Templo de Ntra. Sra. de los Remedios Este templo formó parte del convento franciscano y su construcción concluyó en 1731 gracias a la devoción de Fray José de Arlegui. El templo es de una nave y bóveda, su fachada es sencilla y tiene . . . — Map (db m132448) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Ramón López Velarde
En esta casa vivio durante un lustro el gran poeta Ramon Lopez Velarde Homenaje de “Letras Potosinas” en el trigésimo aniversario de su muerte junio de 1951 English translation: In this house lived for . . . — Map (db m132471) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — San Agustin Temple
Templo de San Agustín En 1599 los Agustinos se establecieron en San Luis Potosí con el fin de fundar una hospedería para los viajeros que se dirigían a Zacatecas por el Camino Real de Tierra Adentro. El Templo y Convento fueron . . . — Map (db m132163) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — San Agustín Temple
Templo San Agustín. Barroco. S. XVIII. Juan de Butrago En 1603 los agustinos obtienen los permisos para fundar su iglesia, atendiendo a los indios tarascos. En 1655 construyen la torre oriente, entre 1710-1712 la sacristía, en la . . . — Map (db m132165) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — San Miguelito Square
Plaza de San Miguelito El Templo de San Miguelito se fundó en 1597, después de que el alcalde mayor de San Luis les otorgara a los ind tlaxcaltecas tierras para que se asentaran. Originalmente este barrio se llamaba “De la . . . — Map (db m132477) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Temple and Ex-Convent of San Agustín
Templo y Ex Convento de San Agustín Los agustinos fundaron en San Luis Potosí una sencilla hospedería en 1592. Ahí se alojaban los misioneros que iban a Zacatecas. Posteriormente, los frailes que atendían a los indios tarascos, que . . . — Map (db m132159) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Temple and Ex-Convent of San Francisco
Templo y Ex Convento de San Francisco En 1592, a raíz del descubrimiento de las minas de Cerro de San Pedro, se fundó el pueblo de San Luis Potosí que contó con varias haciendas de beneficio. Frailes franciscanos atendían en una . . . — Map (db m132358) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of San Luis Potosí) — Water Reservoir
Caja del Agua También conocida como “La Conservera,” este depósito de agua es suministrado por un acueducto subterráneo que corre por toda la Calzada de Guadalupe, desde la Cañada de Lobo, sur de la ciudad en las faldas . . . — Map (db m132478) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Kiln
This Kiln was used to fire the pottery utensils manufactured in the potter's workshop. — Map (db m132403) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Kitchenמטבח
Scholars believe that this room was the common kitchen used by the inhabitants of Qumran. — Map (db m132414) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Pottery Storeroom
The utensils found here were broken in the earthquake of 31 B.C.E. — Map (db m132410) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Ritual Bath
They labor with great diligence till the fifth hour, after which they assemble themselves into one place, and when they have clothed themselves in white veils, they bath their bodies in cold water, and after this purification is over they meet . . . — Map (db m132188) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — The Bursar of the Congregation
"After he has entered the council of the community ... he shall not have any share of the property of the congregation ... and if it be his destiny to enter the company of the community ... his property and earnings shall be handed over to the . . . — Map (db m132208) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — The Refectory
"They shall eat in common and bless in common and deliberate in common ... and when the table has been prepared for eating and the new wine for drinking the priest shall be the first to stretch out his hand to bless the first provie of the bread [or . . . — Map (db m132231) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — The Scrolls Cave
Bedouins discovered this cave in August of 1952. Fourteen thousand fragments of scrolls were unearthed as they sifted through the dust within. Archaeologists who reached the cave later, uncovered an additional 1,000 fragments. Scholars believe that . . . — Map (db m132458) HM
Palestinian Territories, West Bank (Megilot Council), Kalya — Work Area
100,000 date pits and an apparatus for the production of date honey were discovered here. — Map (db m132444) HM
United Kingdom, England (Kent County), Dover — Operation Fuller"The Channel Dash" — 12th February 1942
Side A During 1941, the German Battle Cruiser SCHARNHORST operated unchallenged in the Atlantic resulting in the sinking of 115,622 tons of British Merchant Shipping. Requiring maintenance it went to Brest harbour where it was joined by its . . . — Map (db m132492) HM
Alabama (Dale County), Ozark — D. A. Smith High School/ Professor D. A. Smith, PrincipalDale County
D. A. Smith High School Dale County The first school building on this site for African Americans was constructed in 1939 and was named Ozark Negro High School. It was replaced during the “separate but equal” period in 1952 and . . . — Map (db m132087) HM
California (San Benito County), Tres Pinos — Palmtag Cutting Shed
Once a common sight in the rural Hollister area, apricot cutting sheds were where the harvested apricots were cut in half and then were placed on wood trays to be dried in the sun. The apricot season usually started at the same time that school got . . . — Map (db m132535) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Aviation Firsts: Crissy Army Airfield
In the 1920s Army aviators flew wood-and-fabric covered biplanes on daring experimental missions. In 1919, Army Air Corps Major Henry "Hap" Arnold chose this site for a pioneer Army airfield. Arnold's pilots flew both regular aircraft and . . . — Map (db m132489) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Congressman Phillip Burton1926-1983
Powerful, profane, brilliant, fierce—think about Phil Burton and you have to think in big, dramatic terms. He wasn't a moderate man. Elected to Congress from San Francisco in 1964, he fought for workers' rights, for seniors and people with . . . — Map (db m132243) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Crissy Field Transformed
The view before you to the east is one of the greatest transformations at the Presidio since it became a national park in 1994. Originally a tidal marsh, the wetlands were filled in and leased to build part of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International . . . — Map (db m132490) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Mason Historic DistrictU.S. Army post (1864-1966)
First fortified by the Spanish in 1797, this bluff above the bay was re-armed by the U.S. Army in 1864. The post remained active through the Civil War, western Indian Wars, and conflicts abroad, beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898. . . . — Map (db m132330) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point National Historic Site
What is Fort Point? Once called the "Pride of the Pacific" and "Gibraltar of the West Coast," Fort Point is a brick and granite coastal defense fortification built by the U.S. Army between 1853 and 1861. It was part of a seacoast defense . . . — Map (db m132513) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Fort Point National Historic Site
What is Fort Point? Once called the "Pride of the Pacific" and "Gibraltar of the West Coast," Fort Point is a brick and granite coastal defense fortification built by the U.S. Army between 1853 and 1861. It was part of a seacoast defense . . . — Map (db m132540) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Lombard StreetThe Crookedest Street in the World — San Francisco, California
Lombard Street is known as the "Crookedest Street" in the World. You will climb 253 steps on the left side and 249 steps on the right side of the street. There are 8 switchbacks and 12 flowerbeds with over 2000 blue and purple hydrangeas. The . . . — Map (db m132206) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Montgomery Street Barracks
"In the years between the Civil War [1861-64] and the Spanish-American War [1898], the health of the army improved drastically. The new concern for soldiers’ well-being; the emphasis on sanitation, which became realizable in the new buildings . . . — Map (db m132483) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Old and New: Presidio Fire Station
New additions should be designed and constructed so that the character-defining feautures of the historic building are not radically changed, obscured, damaged, or destroyed in the process of rehabilitaion. New design should always be clearly . . . — Map (db m132465) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Post Chapel
Early in the twentieth century, the Presidio became the Army's most prestigious west coast installation. The Army began constructing Mission style buildings with white walls and red tile roofs to reflect the post's California heritage. This Post . . . — Map (db m132480) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Western Defense Command Headquarters
Across the street to your left is Building 35. Lives were changed by decisions made here. Originally built as cavalry barracks in 1912, it was converted in 1918 for the School of Bakers and Cooks and then in 1921 to serve as the headquarters of the . . . — Map (db m132417) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Wetlands Renaissance
Original "Wasteland" Filled This recreated tidal marsh and lagoon recoup a fragment of a luxuriant 130-acre marsh system that once stretched along this shoreline. Abounding in life, the marsh offered the native Yelamu people an ideal . . . — Map (db m132412) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Sunnyvale — Del Monte Building
The Del Monte Building was constructs by the Madison and Bonner Company in 1904 adjacent to the Southern Pacific Railroad on the northwest corner of Sunnyvale and Evelyn Avenues. For the first 26 years dried fruit from local orchards was processed . . . — Map (db m132515) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — David A. Clarke1943 - 1997
David A. Clarke was born on October 13, 1943. He grew up in the Southeast and Shaw neighborhoods of Washington attending Thompson Elementary, Jefferson High and Western High Schools. In 1965, he graduated from The George Washington University where . . . — Map (db m132457) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Florida's First PeopleSeminole Heritage Trail
Prior to the Spanish arrival in the 1500s, there were hundreds of thousands of Native Americans living in Florida. Evidence of their diverse culture has been discovered in the mounds, earthworks, middens and other archaeological sites found . . . — Map (db m132271) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Fort CooperFlorida's Seminole Wars
Setting the Scene In the Spring of 1836, President Andrew Jackson ordered General Winfield Scott, commander of the U.S. Army in Florida, to punish and defeat the belligerent Seminoles. Gen. Scott devised a complicated plan in which three . . . — Map (db m132055) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Life Along the WithlacoocheeSeminole Heritage Trail
Adapting to Life in the Cove Necessities of Life Before the Seminole were forced to move to the Cove, they were farmers and ranchers who lived in sturdy log homes and based their wealth on large herds of cattle and extensive crops. Unlike the . . . — Map (db m132276) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Lonely Outpost in a Hostile LandSeminole Heritage Trail
The Siege of Fort Cooper
A Hastily Built Defense In March 1836, General Winfield Scott launched a campaign to surround the Seminole in the Cove with an army of approximately 5,000 men. While marching to Fort Brooke in Tampa they stopped . . . — Map (db m132281) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Old Military Road
This wagon trail led between Fort Brooke and Fort King along the west side of the Cove of the Withlacoochee. — Map (db m132280) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — The Seminole in the Cove of the WithlacoocheeSeminole Heritage Trail
Seminole Migration Story of Survival The Seminole are descendants of the Muscogee group consisting primarily of Creek Indians from Georgia and Alabama. In the early 1700s, various bands of Creeks and other Muskogean peoples began to migrate . . . — Map (db m132273) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — War Comes to the CoveSeminole Heritage Trail
The Second Seminole War Begins
A Year of Victory for the Seminole In the early 1830s pressure to remove Florida's Indians grew intense. Seminole leaders signed treaties in 1832 and 1833 that called for the tribe to relocate within three . . . — Map (db m132277) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — Hernando County Confederate Monument
(southwest side)C.S.A 1861-1865 Erected by Brooksville Chapter No. 71 United Daughters of the Confederacy June 3, 1916. ”Love Makes Memory Eternal.” Confederate Soldiers (northeast side)This monument perpetuates the . . . — Map (db m132098) WM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — Hernando County War Memorial
In loving memory of those who gave their lives in the service of their country World War I World War II Korea Vietnam Erected by American Legion in cooperation with the Hernando County Action ‘76 Committee and the Florida State Bicentennial . . . — Map (db m132461) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Rider Encampment
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, this area was the campsite of the 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry Regiment commanded by Colonel Leonard Wood (Medal of Honor recipient) and later Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt. Known as . . . — Map (db m132476) HM
Florida (Lafayette County), Mayo — F-368 — Mayo, County Seat of Lafayette County
Established in 1874 by John B. Whitfield, Mayo was named in honor of James M. Mayo, a colonel in the Confederate Army and father of Nathan Mayo, who served as State Commissioner of Agriculture from 1923 to 1960. Mayo became the county seat of . . . — Map (db m132099) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — From Disaster to Award-Winning Design
On June 17, 1955, a fire "of undetermined origin" raced through several of the attractive, 1949 Spanish-style buildings, including the gift shop, café, and offices. Victor A. Lundy, an architect from Sarasota, was selected to design the new . . . — Map (db m132198) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — Osceola1804-1838
October 23, 1834, the Seminole Indians met in council at these springs to discuss demands of the United States for their removal to the West. Osceola, then an obscure sub-chief, swayed the council with his oratory and set the Indians against . . . — Map (db m132200) HM
Florida (Marion County), Silver Springs — Steamboats at the Spring
The first paddle-wheel steamboat to operate in northeast Florida was the Florida in 1834, running once a week from Savannah, Georgia to Picolata on the St. Johns River. After the Civil War, in late 1860s, travelers from northern states . . . — Map (db m132199) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Bumby Hardware
Joseph Bumby, Sr. came from Great Britain in 1873. He started selling hay, grain and fertilizer from a warehouse on Church Street. When the railroad arrived in 1880 his warehouse was used as the depot and he was the ticket agent. In 1886, Bumby . . . — Map (db m132082) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Dr. Phillips House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m132197) HM
Florida (St Johns), St. Augustine — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for liberty, . . . — Map (db m132468) WM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Don Pedro Menendez De Aviles
Bronze statue of the illustrious son of Aviles, Spain, Governor, Captain General “Conquistador”, and Adelantado of Florida who founded St. Augustine on September 8, 1565. The Statue was a gift of the people of St. Augustine, dedicated . . . — Map (db m132482) HM
Illinois (Saint Clair County), Cahokia — French-Colonial Home Site Of Jean Baptiste Hamelin
With this marker we honor Captain Jean Baptiste Hamelin and the citizens of Cahokia for their sacrifice, and the role they played in the American Revolutionary War. In the latter days of the Revolutionary War, both American and British had ambitions . . . — Map (db m132349) HM
Kentucky (Monroe County), Gamaliel — 1347 — Free-Town Church
Built in 1846 by freed slaves of William Howard, who gave them 400 acres on which to build homes, known since then as Free-Town. Albert Martin gave them the land for the church. No replacements of the original building material of this church, . . . — Map (db m132247) HM
Louisiana (New Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Bienville's Plantation
Here, on a plantation granted to him on March 27, 1719 by the company of the Indies, stood the residence of Jean Baptiste LeMoyne de Bienville, founder of New Orleans. This plantation was sold by Bienville on April 11, 1726 to the Jesuit Fathers . . . — Map (db m132517) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — 15-inch Rodman SmoothboreCivil War Defenses of Washington
Monumental in size, these two immense guns stood as sentinels ready to repel an attack on the nation's capital. With their extended range and commanding location above the river, they were the key defensive feature of the fort. Because of their . . . — Map (db m132173) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Band Shell
The original band shell was built in City Park around 1915. It was since dismantled and re-erected in Hagerstown’s Wheaton Park. This structure was built in 1940. It is dedicated to Dr. Peter Buys, the Hagerstown Municipal Band’s conductor from . . . — Map (db m132316) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Fitchburg — First Settler of FitchburgFirst Public House
Near this spot, about the year 1730, the first settler of Fitchburg, David Page, built a garrison house in which he lived for several years. Here in 1761 the first public house opened by Samuel Hunt. In this tavern were held, in 1764, . . . — Map (db m132504) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Fitchburg — Patrick Joseph Moran
In twenty four years service in the National League of Baseball as player and manager, he won his way to the greatest heights, winning a pennant for Philadelphia in 1916 and a league pennant for Cincinnati in 1919. As a player, as a manager, as a . . . — Map (db m132520) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Fitchburg — Rollstone Boulder
This boulder carried by the last glacier from Mount Monadnock New Hamp­shire to the summit of the hill whose name commemorates it, was for centuries a land mark to Indian and settler. Threatened with destruction by quarrying operations, it was saved . . . — Map (db m132501) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Fitchburg — The Store of Ephraim Kimball
Near this spot, in 1775, stood the store of Ephraim Kimball. Here at 9 o’clock A.M., on the 19th of April, 1775, the alarm gun was fired a company of forty-two men, under Capt. Ebenezer Bridge, marched for Concord, where they arrived the . . . — Map (db m132506) HM
Mississippi (Leflore County), Greenwood — Fort Pemberton
Here is site of fort at which Grant's gunboats bound for Vicksburg, early in 1863, were halted by fort batteries and by the sunken hulk of the "Star of the West" in channel. — Map (db m132320) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — St. Louis ArsenalA State Divided: The Civil War In Missouri
The federal arsenal at St. Louis was established on this site in 1827. Located three miles south of the city, it replaced the aging Fort Belle Fontaine, which had served since 1805. The arsenal furnished ordnance stores (arms, accouterments and . . . — Map (db m132299) HM
Nevada (Lincoln County), Pioche — 5 — Pioche
Silver ore was discovered in this range of mountains in 1864, but no important development took place until 1869 when mines were opened and the town of Pioche appeared. Pioche soon became the scene of a wild rush of prospectors and fortune seekers . . . — Map (db m132469) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Weare — 0143 — East Weare Village
In 1960 their beautiful community was sacrificed for the Everett Flood Control Project. Their village was the home for over 60 families and was a self supporting thriving community. Farming and lumbering was the way of life for the . . . — Map (db m132346) HM
New Hampshire (Hillsborough County), Weare — 0192 — Piscataquog River Mill Sites
Twenty-two mills in Weare, located along the Piscataquog River, were the economic life-blood of the town from 1752-1979. The mills furnished employment, goods and services locally and afar. They manufactured toys, textiles, wood and . . . — Map (db m132357) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Site of Rumford Garrison No. 5
Around house of Lieut. Jeremiah Stickney to which were assigned May 15, 1746 twenty settlers with their families — Map (db m132187) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Site of Rumford Garrison No. 6
Around house of Joseph Hall to which were assigned May 15, 1746 fifteen settlers with their families. — Map (db m132185) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Site of Rumford Garrison No. 7
Around house of [Ti]mothy Walker, Jr. [To w]hich were assigned May 15, 1746 [Twenty] two settlers [And thei]r families — Map (db m132184) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Pembroke — Josie Langmaid
(Front inscription) Erected by the citizens of Pembroke and vicinty to commemorate the place of the tragic death and memory of Josie A. Langmaid a student of Pembroke Academy who was murdered on her way to school on the 4th day of Oct. 1875   AE. . . . — Map (db m132249) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon), Hamden — The Village of Hamden, New Jerseycirca 1750
In 1759 Phillip and John Grandin acquired 1,000 acres known as the Hamden Tract. Hamden was home to the Grandin Grist & Fulling-Mills, a Blacksmith Shop, and Abbott's Tavern. Dr. John Grandin's house was built in 1775 with pitch pine lumber that . . . — Map (db m132105) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Brocton — Ships and Shipwrecks at Lake Erie State Park
In the early 1800s, commercial shipping and fishing were important to the growth of the communities near Lake Erie State Park. The harbors at Barcelona and Dunkirk developed in the early 1800s as ships plying the Great Lakes docked to load and . . . — Map (db m132178) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — B.P.O. ElksNo. 922
Presented in memory of the gallant men and women who fought and died in all wars in defense of their country — Map (db m132174) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Cdr. Harry B. Lyon D.D.S.
Founder U.S. Naval Reserves N.Y. Naval Militia Dunkirk, N.Y. June 1912 — Map (db m132170) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Dedicated 1975
The people of the City of Dunkirk in memory of those who gave their last full measure of devotion 1941 — World War II — 1945 [Names listed] 1950 Korea 1955 [Names listed] 1964 Vietnam 1975 [Names . . . — Map (db m132171) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Dunkirk Parade
It was on this corner, November 27, 1946 that citizens of Dunkirk, New York, together with French officials and guests, viewed a parade of $75,000 worth of gifts and goods to be sent to Dunkerque, France after the destruction of that city in World . . . — Map (db m132168) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Naetzker Garden
The Naetzker family lived and worked here for 96 years 1873-1968. Julius Polinski settled here and moved a small store to the front of the house for a saloon. He died in 1886 and his son-in-law, Oscar Naetzker, took over the saloon. There was a . . . — Map (db m132169) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — POW★MIA
You are not forgotten [Reverse] Chautauqua County Veteran's Monument Donors In honor of the 75th Ranger Regiment Riles & Woolley Monuments — Map (db m132176) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — War on Terrorism Memorial
In memory of the brave men and women, both military and civilian, that made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom, fighting the War on Terrorism. — Map (db m132172) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Fredonia — Abell Inn Site
General Lafayette was entertained at a reception and dinner given in his honor June 4, 1825 in the Abell Inn which stood on this site. — Map (db m132177) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Fredonia — Alonzo Hereford CushingBrevet Lt. Col. — Battery A — 4th U.S. Artillery
Resident of Fredonia, NY who graduated from Wet Point in June of 1861 and died defending "The Angle" at The Battle of Gettysburg on July 3, 1863. Grandson of Twon of Pomfret founder Judge Zattu Cushing "Faithful unto death" . . . — Map (db m132216) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Ripley — Birthplace of Dr. Benjamin Franklin Goodrich
Ripley • New York Birthplace of Dr • Benjamin • Franklin Goodrich 1841 - 1888 A great son of this state Founder of the B. F. Goodrich Company Akron Ohio 1870 [Reverse] This memorial is sponsored by . . . — Map (db m132190) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Ripley — Ripley Veterans' Roll of Honor MonumentLest We Forget
This monument is a continuing tribute to all veterans from Ripley who, in times of war and peace, honorably served this great country. — Map (db m132191) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — First Presbyterian Church and Society
Westfield, New York Founded 1808 First Church in Chautauqua County Called Chautauqua Church Organized by Rev. John Lindsey Met at cross roads Part of Presbytery of Erie, Pennsylvania Transferred to Presbytery of . . . — Map (db m132189) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — In Memoriam
In loving and perpetual memory of those who answered their country's call in time of need — Map (db m132181) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — In Memory
World War I Tansi Scime Wayne G. Franklin Daniel Hess Salvadore Castrogiovanni Joseph Militello Philip Carling Cecil A. Johnson John W. Rogers Ralph Pomeroy World War II William P. Jackway Wayne Steinhoff . . . — Map (db m132183) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Westfield — McClurg Park
McClurg Park site of the former home of James McClurg a Westfield pioneer — Map (db m132182) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Icehouse
In July 1869, after the Church family returned to Olana from 18 months aboard, Frederic Church’s involvement in the farm’s activities increased. He completed several building projects, including the construction of a rectangular, wood-frame icehouse . . . — Map (db m132328) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Kitchen Garden
This panoramic image combines two photographs that show the kitchen garden and barnyard as they looked about 1900. Both photographs were taken from a location out in the field behind you (south) looking north. From the far right in the photograph, . . . — Map (db m132329) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Park and Lake
Frederic Church transformed a treeless hillside into the wooded park you see across the lake. There, on 31 acres, he planted hundreds of trees and shrubs, singly and in clumps, in a landscape design conceived in the Picturesque Style (a . . . — Map (db m132074) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Woodshed
When wood was the major fuel for heating and cooking, woodsheds like the one located here and elsewhere on the farm provided a place to store firewood and keep it dry. Harvested from Olana’s woodlots, trees were cut into logs and shorter lengths at . . . — Map (db m132331) HM
New York (Delaware County), Grand Gorge — Cabin of John More(1745-1840) — Site of
Native of Strathspey, Scotland. Revolutionary War soldier. Moresville's first settler-1786. Magistrate, postmaster, millwright, tavern & hotel owner. Village called Moresville until 1874 — Map (db m132113) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — 1899 Round Barn
Built for Kelly Brothers for easier cow care. Meade family ran dairy farm through 1963. Reconstructed 1988 State and National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m132124) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Lodges Organized in Middletown
James's 1796-1798 Delaware-Ulster 1807-1811 Colden (Clinton) 1816-1824 Margaretville 1855-present — Map (db m132106) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville
Hamlet developed in 1840s. First hotel opened at this site 1845. Village named for Margaret Livingston when it incorporated in 1875. — Map (db m132230) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville War Memorial
To the men and women of the community who served in the armed forces of the United States of America in time of war. — Map (db m132244) WM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Middletown Settlement
Three Hudson Valley Dutch families arrived in 1763 to settle the Delaware Valley where the Lenni Lenape first hunted and fished. — Map (db m132108) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — The Stream of Time
Th East Branch of the Delaware of and its many tributaries- - the Binnekill, Bush Kill, Plattekill, Mill Brook, Dry Brook, Bull Run, Batavia Kill, Red Kill and others are central to the history of the Village of Margaretville and the wider Town . . . — Map (db m132228) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Welcome to Historic Margaretville!
This stream-crossed valley beneath 3,200-foot Pakatakan Mountain has been attracting travelers since the Lenni Lenape found good hunting and fishing here hundreds of years ago. The first European settlers arrived in the region in 1763, and a small . . . — Map (db m132158) HM
New York (Delaware County), Roxbury — Enderlin BuildingBuilt circa 1840
In 1852, John B. Gould purchased a "tin shop” in this original structure built in 1840. His son, Jason "Jay” Gould, born in Roxbury in 1836, became a partner with his father in the shop at age 16. The younger Gould was sent to New York . . . — Map (db m132234) HM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Rechtor Home
Rechtor Home Site of home of Nicholas Rechtor built about 1773. Revolutionary War soldier and Captain of Militia in Tillaborough — Map (db m132318) HM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Tillaboro Raid
Took place within a two mile radius of this marker April 20, 1779. Up this road is site of old Tillaboro Church and Cemetery — Map (db m132317) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Peking1911
Peking was launched in 1911 at Hamburg, Germany by the Blohm & Voss shipyard. She was owned by the F. Laeisz Company of that port, who used here to carry fuel and manufactured goods to the West Coast of South America, around Cape Horn, and . . . — Map (db m132475) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 27 Cooper Sq.Bowery Arts & Beats
You are standing in front of an 1844 townhouse which was converted in the 1960s from a cold-water flop to home and gathering place for a newly developing, inclusive avant-garde. Poets Amiri Bakara and Hetty Jones hosted writers, painters, . . . — Map (db m132312) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Barnum's First Big BamboozleWashington’s 161-Year Old Nursemaid — Bowery & Division Street
Whether P.T. Barnum said it or not, “there’s a sucker born every minute” certainly applies to the throngs that lined up at Bowery and Division Street in 1836 for his first big bamboozle – the exhibition of slave woman Joice . . . — Map (db m132305) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Modern Tattooing!11 Chatham Square — 16 Bowery
As a stomping ground for sailors and sporting men, the Bowery/Chatham Square was an appropriate location for Samuel O’Reilly and Charlie Wagner, the fathers of modern tattooing. O’Reilly, who patented the first electric tattooing machine in 1891, . . . — Map (db m132310) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowne & Company
On this site, then 39 Queen Street, Robert Bowne, New York merchant, philanthropist, and educator, established Bowne & Company in 1775. The company is New York’s oldest business concern operating under the same name since its . . . — Map (db m132532) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Brooklyn Battery TunnelManhattan Plaza
Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel Manhattan Plaza Longest Underwater Vehicular Tunnel in North America 9,117 feet in length Opened May 25th, 1950 Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority — Map (db m132052) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Frederick Douglass
As one of the most famous and respected black abolitionist leaders of the 19th century, Frederick Douglass inspired many people through his courage and determination Frederick Bailey was born a slave in February 1818 on Holmes Hill Farm in . . . — Map (db m132233) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Gateway to Old ChinatownDoyers at Bowery
In the 1890s, this Bowery at Doyers Street corner was a gateway to the tiny but thriving Chinatown, even then a famed tourist destination. Squeezed between Bowery, Mott, Pell and Doyers Streets and dominated by Chinese shops and residents, it was . . . — Map (db m132308) HM
New York (New York County), New York — George Washington Drank Here!50 Bowery
On November 25, 1783, as the British withdrew from Manhattan, General Washington and his troops marched across the still rural island and down the Bowery. Stopping at the Bull’s Head Tavern to rest, they were met by throngs of jubilant citizens . . . — Map (db m132156) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Governor Alfred E. Smith Houses Residents Memorial
With Highest Regard, Deepest Respect, And Sincere Gratitude, We Lovingly Dedicate This Plaque To The Honorable Young Men From Governor Smith Houses, Who Have So Devotedly Served God And Country in the Armed Forces. God Bless America! Residents . . . — Map (db m132069) WM
New York (New York County), New York — Happy Warrior Playground in Alfred E. Smith Park
Alfred E. Smith (1873-1944) served as Governor of New York from 1919 to 1920 and from 1923 to 1928. He was the Democratic presidential candidate in 1928. As a result of his dedication to housing and social issues, Al Smith led the state’s . . . — Map (db m132067) HM
New York (New York County), New York — High and Low Artat influential theatre — 37-39 Bowery
On this spot in 1833 stood the Zoological Institute, one of America’s first menageries. Expanding to include equestrian and circus acts, it became the Bowery Amphitheatre. Acts here included the famous clown W.F. Wallett, and “the great . . . — Map (db m132307) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Jerry Driscoll Walk
Jerry Driscoll Walk Jeremiah Timothy Driscoll (1909-1994), Captain Defender of New York Harbor’s Waterfront Jeremiah Timothy Driscoll (1909-1994) was born in the fishing village of Baltimore, County Cork, Ireland. In 1928, at the age of 19, . . . — Map (db m132486) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Lieutenant Joseph Petrosino Park.03 acres
Lieutenant Joseph Petrosino Park .03 acres This small park is at the crossroads of several dynamic New York neighborhoods: Little Italy and the Bowery to the east, Chinatown to the south, and SoHo to the west and north. The site/area became . . . — Map (db m132439) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Lost New York GemGerman Winter Garden/Windsor Theatre — 43-47 Bowery
On this site in the mid-1800s, stood the German Winter Garden (aka Volks Garden), a forgotten treasure of mid-19th century New York’s Kleindeutschland, then the third most dense concentration of Germans in the world. Known for its music . . . — Map (db m132306) HM
New York (New York County), New York — NYC Landmark Of Cast Iron97 Bowery
NYC Landmark Of Cast Iron 97 Bowery You are standing in front of an Italianate-style NYC landmark that was built in 1869 for the carriage manufacturer John P. Jube & Co. Its façade is constructed entirely of cast iron, a mid-to-late . . . — Map (db m132304) HM
New York (New York County), New York — NYC’s Oldest Brick HouseEdward Mooney House — 18 Bowery
This is the city’s oldest surviving brick townhouse, built in 1785, shortly after the British evacuated New York and before George Washington became President of the new republic. Reflecting the emergence from English colony to new republic, its . . . — Map (db m132533) HM
New York (New York County), New York — PS/IS 89 September 11 Memorial
On September 11 2001, our beloved and brave children witnessed the best and worst of humanity. We honor the heroic and compassionate principals, teachers and staff of PS and IS 89 who brought them to safety, of both body and spirit. With profound . . . — Map (db m132232) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Renaissance-Inspired Bank for the Working Class58 Bowery
The former Citizens Savings Bank, chartered to service working class people, was designed in 1922 by the architect Clarence W. Brazer (1880-1956). The monumental building was intended to inspire confidence in depositors. large arched windows . . . — Map (db m132157) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Staten Island FerryHeritage Trails New York
We were very tired, we were very merry— We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry. It was bare and bright, and smelled like a stable— But we looked into a fire, we leaned across a table, We lay on a hill-top underneath . . . — Map (db m132035) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Stephen FosterAmerica’s First Great Songwriter — 30 Bowery
In the 1800’s this was the site of the New England Hotel, the final home of America’s first great popular songwriter, Stephen Foster (1826-1864). Foster composed over 200 songs, many of which have passed into the American Canon. They include . . . — Map (db m132313) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Bowery Boys40 Bowery
This address once hosted the headquarters of the Bowery Boys, a mid-nineteenth century nativist gang popularized in the book and fictional Martin Scorsese film, Gangs of New York. This coterie of American-born, anti-immigrant firefighting . . . — Map (db m132101) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Bowery TheatreShakespeare, Tap Dance & Jim Crow at America’s Largest Theatre — 46-48 Bowery
“The 3000-seat Bowery Theatre opened here in 1826 as America’s largest theatre. The first gaslit theatre, its massive stage used fire and water effects, and held horses for battle scenes. Its Roman temple exterior hoped to lure the . . . — Map (db m132102) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Park
The Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Park Vice President of the United States 1974-1977 Governor of the State of New York 1959-1973 “There is nothing wrong with American that courage, commitment, and love cannot conquer. There is nothing . . . — Map (db m132488) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Hippest Place on EarthFive Spot Jazz Club — 5 Cooper Sq.
You are standing at the former site of the Five Spot Café, which in the 1950s and ‘60s was owned and operated by brothers Joe and Iggy Termini, who brought in the era’s most progressive jazz artists, including Thelonious Monk, Cecil Taylor, Eric . . . — Map (db m132311) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Valley Falls — Julia Blanche S. Clum1867-1919
One of the founders of Rensselaer County's first political equality club and a leader for woman suffrage. — Map (db m132505) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — In Grateful Memory
Of those who died in the service of our country during World War II William B. Piette   Okinawa 1945 J. Merle Boswell   France 1944 Ernest Charbonneau   France 1944 David Currie   Pacific Ocean 1945 Matthew A. Just   Germany 1944 . . . — Map (db m132418) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Bullard Paper Company Chimney
Here 1880 while excavating for Bullard Paper Mill chimney, the remains of an unknown soldier and his horse were exhumed — Map (db m132503) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Vischer Ferry Historic District
A Greek Revival Erie Canal village circa 1840. Settled 1671. Ferry begun by Eldert Vischer 1790 — Map (db m132416) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Indian Village
Wilder Hook located on the elbow of "Schoharie Creek" — Map (db m132089) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Gen. Freegift Patchin
Fifer in Wadsworth Brigade in Connecticut Militia 1776-1777. Captured by Brant while serving in Captain Alexander Harper’s company of New York militia and prisoner in Canada 1780-82. Brigadier General 1805-14. Member of Assembly from Schoharie . . . — Map (db m132092) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Indian Trail
Westkill to Delaware River and south to Susquehanna River and west. One of many trails giving Iroquois control of large areas. — Map (db m132091) HM
New York (Ulster County), Highmount — Ulster County
One of original counties of New York State 1683. Received its name from the earldom in Ireland of James, Duke of York. — Map (db m132111) HM
New York (Ulster County), Olivebridge — Olivebridge
United Methodist Church. Congregation formed circa 1810, building erected 1823. Rebuilt 1867, after a fire. We welcome you to attend! — Map (db m132148) HM
New York (Ulster County), Olivebridge — To Honor
The men and women of this community who by their patriotism and loyalty served God and country in the wars of our nation. Dedicated May 30, 1978 — Map (db m132150) WM
New York (Ulster County), Phoenicia — Mount Tremper Fire Tower
A majestic fire tower stands on the summit of Mount Tremper. For many decades, Fire Tower Observers perched in the steel cab at the top of the tower watched for forest fires. Now the volunteers of the Catskill Fire Tower . . . — Map (db m132245) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — 1869 Lighthouse
Situated 0.5 mi east. Marks Hudson River shoals and the entrance to Saugerties Harbor on the Esopus Creek. Replaced 1835 lighthouse — Map (db m132542) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Glasco Turnpike
Road from early glass works on the upper Sawkill, to shipping point on Hudson, above Rondout. Named for sign on company's warehouse. — Map (db m132541) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Mountains - Shandaken AreaHistoric New York
The deep ravines, irregular ridges and rocky slopes of the Catskill Mountains long remained wild and desolate. Small settlements began in the mountain valleys before the American Revolution. After the war, population grew steadily as New Englanders . . . — Map (db m132152) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Water Supply SystemCity of New York
The Shandaken Tunnel here delivers water from the Schoharie Reservior. The tunnel is 18- ¼ miles long, 11 feet 6 inches high, 10 feet 3 inches wide, and passes 2630 feet below Balsam Mountain. This tunnel has a carrying capacity of 600 million . . . — Map (db m132114) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Fort Shandaken
During the Revolutionary War, a log fort stood near this spot to defend Kingston from enemy attack — Map (db m132135) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shokan — Old School Baptist Meeting House
Church organized in 1799 as the Tongore Baptist Church of Christ. Present ediface erected in 1857. — Map (db m132145) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shokan — Shokan Reformed
Church organized in 1799. Original site now below Ashokan Reservoir. Present ediface dedicated on September 14, 1913. — Map (db m132139) HM
New York (Washington County), Buskirk — Reformed Dutch Church at Tiossiook
Organized May 2, 1792. Present building erected 1823. First pastor Rev. S. Smith — Map (db m132507) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Old Continental Road
Over which a detachment of Burgonye’s army under Col. Baum passed on its way to Bennington, VT Aug. 13, 1777. — Map (db m132512) HM
New York (Washington County), Hebron — Hebron School District No. 16
Hebron District 16 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m132226) HM
North Carolina (Rockingham County), Reidsville — J-45 — Alfred M. Scales1827-1892
Governor, 1885-1889, Confederate general, state legislator, and Congressman. Birthplace stood 3½ mi. E. — Map (db m132553) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — "Steady" Ed Headrick
In Memory of "Steady" Ed Headrick Father of Disc Golf 1924 - 2002 — Map (db m132378) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1001Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Shaffner-Knox Drugs, built for Doxsie Dairy Company 1935-1952 Doxsie Dairy Company 1957-1970 Commercial Testing and Engineering Company — Map (db m132361) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1003Historic Ashtabula Harbor
. . . — Map (db m132360) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1005Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Built in 1889 by A.J. Beckwith 1889-1908 A.J. Beckwith Dry Goods 1912-1927 Globe Clothiers 1930 Turner's Drug Store 1934-1940 The Great A & P Tea Company 1941-1945 England . . . — Map (db m132359) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1006Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Burrill Block The location of Edward H. Burrill Meat Market, the Burrill Block was built in 1900 1896-1921 Burrill's Meat Market 1926 Ragnvald Wary Billiards 1941-1953 Corner Restaurant . . . — Map (db m132362) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1009Historic Ashtabula Harbor
Built in 1889 by John & Oliver Topky 1889-1950 Topky Brothers Hardware & Ship Chandler 1951-1978 The Topky Hardware Company 1979-1995 Topky-Cook's Hardware Company — Map (db m132356) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Ashtabula — 1010Historic Ashtabula Harbor
The location of Edward H. Burrill Meat Market, the Burrill Block was built in 1900 1900-1908 H. Bieder Company, confectioner, ice cream, cigars, news dealer 1909-1962 Christiansen Confectionery Store Upstairs . . . — Map (db m132364) HM

418 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 218
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.