Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1499 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1099
 
Royal Belfast Academical Institution Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., May 12, 2019
Royal Belfast Academical Institution Marker
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Royal Belfast Academical InstitutionCity Centre

Royal Belfast Academical Institution, or Inst., occupies an eight acre site in the centre of Belfast. The eminent English architect John Soane, who designed the new Bank of England in 1788, drew up plans for the school in 1809 and its . . . — Map (db m134432) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Royal Irish Rifles South African War Memorial

In memory of the officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the Royal Irish Rifles, who were killed in action or died of wounds or disease in the South African War 1899·1902, this monument is dedicated. . . . — Map (db m134293) WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Sandy RowCity Centre

Sandy Row is one of the oldest residential streets in Belfast. It has long been an important route into the town, connecting it with the Malone Ridge — the main route from the south. As workers moved in from rural areas, seeking work in . . . — Map (db m134130) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Séamus Mac Roibín / Seamus Robinson1890-1961 — Ag Fíorú na Poblachta 1916-2016 —

Ball de Bhráithreachas na Poblachta, Óglaigh na hÉireann agus Na Fianna Éireann. Gníomhach i nGarastún Ardoifig an Phoist, Baile Átha Cliath, 1916. Rugadh 6ú Éanair, 1890. Bhí cónaí air sa cheantar seo . . . — Map (db m134478) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Shankill Protestant Boys Flute Band

The officers and members of the Shankill Protestant Boys flute band strive to achieve the same respect that our 1st Battalion West Belfast Ulster Volunteers and Ulster Special Service Force "USSF" forefathers rightfully achieved in 1913, as . . . — Map (db m134764) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Sir Daniel Dixon Bart [Baronet]The Right Honourable

Mayor of Belfast 1892 and 1893. Lord Mayor 1901, 1902, 1903, 1905 and 1906. Freeman of the City. M.P. for Belfast-North-. Obit 1907.

Erected by his many friends in appreciation of the numerous public services rendered by him . . . — Map (db m133963) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Sir Otto Jaffe1846 - 1929

Lord Mayor of Belfast 1899 & 1904 and Philanthropist had his office here — Map (db m134287) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Sir Samuel Ferguson1810 - 1886

Poet and Antiquarian born in 14 High Street which was on this site — Map (db m134901) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — St. George's ChurchCity Centre — 1816 —

The site of St. George's Church marks the very beginning of Belfast. It is the place where settlement began and which gave the city its name. There are records of a chapel at Beal Feirste (Irish for 'the sandy ford at the mouth of the Farset') . . . — Map (db m135145) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The Chronicles of a People

From the burning ashes of a Clonard Street is where I trace my own. Not fifty yards across the wall my blood runs blue as well. The red brick walls and darkened halls where secrets never met. For fear a neighbor lent his ear to something he'd . . . — Map (db m134725) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The People of the Greater Clonard

This plaque is dedicated to the People of the Greater Clonard who have resisted and still resist the occupation of our country by Britain. We acknowledge with pride the sacrifices they made throughout every decade. Their names would . . . — Map (db m134616) WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The QuaysLaganside Corporation 1989-2007

Welcome to the Quays at the mouth of the River Lagan. Set around the Lagan Weir the Quays incorporate Queen's Quay, Hanover Quay, Gregg's Quay and Donegall Quay, all closely linked with the origins of Belfast. The city derives its name from the . . . — Map (db m135226) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The Royal Sussex Regiment

This plaque records the fact that on 28th. June 1701 Arthur Chichester, 3rd. Earl of Donegall by warrant of his late Majesty King William III formed the 35th Regiment of Foot which has since become famous as The Royal Sussex . . . — Map (db m134891) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The Water Office

Historic Building 1869 Restored 1984 — Map (db m134417) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Thomas Carnduff1886-1956

The Shipyard Poet Resident Caretaker Linen Hall Library 1951-1954 — Map (db m134187) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Thomas Russell1767 - 1803

United Irishman 'the Man from God knows where' Librarian 1794-1796 — Map (db m134178) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Titanic Memorial Garden

Titanic Memorial Garden is a permanent tribute to over 1,500 passengers and crew who died after the ship struck an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic during its maiden voyage in April 1912.

When RMS Titanic departed Southampton on . . . — Map (db m134337) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Ulster HallCity Centre — 1862 —

For almost 150 years, the Ulster Hall has brought spectacle and delight to the people of Belfast. It was built at a time when the city was attracting major artists and needed a bigger concert hall. The Ulster Hall Company was formed in 1859 to . . . — Map (db m134240) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Vol. Tom Williams

In loving memory of Vol. Tom Williams "C. Coy" 2nd Battalion Belfast Brigade IRA who lived here and was executed in Belfast Gaol 2nd Sept 1942 Aged 19 years

ar dheis de go rabh a anam [To the honor of . . . — Map (db m134711) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Welcome to the City CentreCity Centre

Belfast has been shaped by time and circumstance. Its buildings tell the story of change and development, of commerce and industry, entertainment and religion.

Belfast city centre is the vibrant heart of a thriving metropolis, which has . . . — Map (db m133803) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Wellington PlaceCity Centre

The growth in prosperity from cotton and linen during the Napoleonic wars saw Belfast's centre of gravity shift from its ancient heartland around High Street, out towards the White Linen Hall, where the present City Hall now stands. Wellington . . . — Map (db m134188) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — William James Pirrie

In loving and most grateful memory of my beloved husband

William James Pirrie

1st Viscount K.P. P.C. H M.L. Born 31st May 1847 - Died 7th June 1924. Only son of James Alexander . . . — Map (db m134345) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — World Wars Memorial

Pro Deo et Patria

Erected by The City of Belfast in memory of her heroic sons who made the supreme sacrifice in The Great War 1914 - 1918 1939 - 1945

Faithful unto death they are remembered with pride . . . — Map (db m133959) WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — 1908 Harland and Wolff Shipyard

This plan shows the extent of Harland and Wolff's shipyard on Queen's Island in 1908. The Queen's Island shipyards were highly successful at this time; 247 ships were built on the island between 1900 and 1913, more than any other shipyard in . . . — Map (db m135267) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Building the Dock 1864-1867 / Belfast's Industrial Growth

[Front]

Building the Dock 1864-1867

The construction of the dock began in February 1864 and was finished within three years. Four hundred and fifty men were employed to build the graving dock and the adjoining . . . — Map (db m135286) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Building the Dock 1864-1867 / Hamilton Dock

[Front]

Building the Dock 1864-1867

The construction of Hamilton Dock began in February 1864 and was finished within three years.

[Top blue inset caption reads] This is the office of the Deputy Harbour Master, whose . . . — Map (db m135341) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Caisson

Constructed in 1867, the caisson is one of the oldest surviving vessels built by Harland and Wolff.

The caisson is a hollow gate which closed off the entrance to the dock. Shaped like a ship's hull, it is made of wrought iron and hollow . . . — Map (db m135264) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Features of the Dock

Select, turn, listen...

Find out more about how Hamilton Graving Dock worked. Select a channel and turn the handle a few times to play each audio track. 1 Keel blocks 2 Caisson 3 Diver

Time spent by ships in the . . . — Map (db m135275) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock Stone Construction

To ensure good quality work, the commissioners hired a mason specialising in dock construction, who was paid £2 5s 0d per week.

This was over four times the amount a worker in a country mill earned. . . . — Map (db m135284) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock Stone Construction

Only the very best quality stone was used for dock construction.

The Belfast Harbor Commissioners visited the site regularly to inspect progress. . . . — Map (db m135285) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Nomadic in Hamilton Dock

Turn and listen... Find out about the dockside scene. Just a few turns of the handle will play the track.

Hamilton Dock It's 1911 - Nomadic is being floated out of Hamilton Dock following her fit our.

1 Titanic in . . . — Map (db m135272) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Olympic SlipwayTitanic Quarter — Launched 1910 • Dismantled 1935 —

[Front]

The Olympic Slipway is where RMS Olympic was built beside her sister ship, Titanic. Although quiet and peaceful today, in 1910 this entire area was a hive of human industry, reverberating to the deafening din from steel plates being . . . — Map (db m134902) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — On Board SS Nomadic

Built on Queen's Island as a tender ship for the White Star Line, SS Nomadic is most famous for the part she played in the Titanic story.

Based in Cherbourg, France, Nomadic transferred passengers from the quayside to enormous passenger . . . — Map (db m135268) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Operating the [Hamilton] Dock

'Our harbour now stands among the finest in the United Kingdom.' Belfast News Letter, 2 October 1867

Hamilton Dock was filled at high tide and emptied at low tide. [Photo caption reads] Above This . . . — Map (db m135269) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Queen's Island Shipyard / Belfast's Industrial Growth

[Front]

Queen's Island From Pleasure Garden to Shipyard

Edward Harland and Gustav Wolff's shipyard, which would go on to become the most successful in the world, was established in 1861.

[Blue inset caption reads] . . . — Map (db m135321) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Queen's Island Shipyard / Hamilton Dock

[Front]

Queen's Island From Pleasure Garden to Shipyard

Queen's Island was created in 1847 when slobs from the digging of Victoria Channel were deposited on the Co. Down side of the Lagan Estuary.

Queen's Island was . . . — Map (db m135338) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — RMS Titanic Keel Laying Centenary

This plaque was unveiled on 31st March 2009 by John M Andrews, great nephew of Thomas Andrews, Chief Naval Architect, Harland & Wolff to commemorate the centenary of the keel laying of RMS Titanic

Built on this slipway . . . — Map (db m134932) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Shipbuilding & Mapmaking [Part 1]

'Belfaste is a place meet for a corporate town, armed with all commodities, as a principal haven, wood and good ground, standing also upon a border, and a place of great importance for service ...' Extract from a letter to the Privy . . . — Map (db m134933) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Shipbuilding & Mapmaking [Part 2]

1922 The Shipyards Expand Eastwards

The First World War had been a period of frantic activity in the shipyards of Belfast, with orders for both new warships and running repairs to the fleet. In 1917, both Harland & Wolff and Workman . . . — Map (db m135114) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — The Poop DeckNomadic

From the quayside, third-class passengers boarded Nomadic through gates on either side of the poop deck, separated from the first and second-class passengers. Then they descended the stairway to enter the third-class deck.

The hatch . . . — Map (db m135346) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Titanic and Olympic Slipways

KEY (1) (2) The illuminated blue lines demonstrate the actual size and location of the Titanic (1) and Olympic (2) ships constructed on these two Slipways.

(3) The turfed and decked areas denote the proportions of people that . . . — Map (db m135002) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Titanic SlipwayTitanic Quarter — Launched 31st May 1911 • Sank 15th April 1912 —

[Front]

On 31 May 1911, SS 401, Titanic, slid down Slipway No. 3 at the Queen's Yard of Harland and Wolff and settled on the waters of the Victoria Channel in Belfast Lough. In her brief life she would be the largest, most luxurious . . . — Map (db m135088) HM

Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — The Lynching of Bunk Richardson
In the middle of the night on February 11, 1906, a large white mob abducted Bunk Richardson from the Etowah County Jail in Gadsden and lynched him. In July 1905, three men were accused of rape and murder of a white woman. Bunk Richardson was not . . . — Map (db m116817) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Frisco No. 4018
"No. 4018 made it's last run from Bessemer, Alabama to Birmingham, Alabama on February 29, 1952 and was given by the railway to the City of Birmingham on May 29, 1952." — Map (db m134921) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Julius Rosenwald
Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932) was a Jewish multimillionaire merchant and one of the founders (1906) of Sears, Roebuck, and Company, then the largest department store in the United States. Rosenwald was a member of the Tuskegee University Board of . . . — Map (db m134671) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Gurley — "Wildwood"
Home of Virginia Clay Clopton (1825-1915) Author and Social Leader who was known in Washington society as "The Belle of the Fifties" Whose first husband, Clement Claiborne Clay (1817-1882), was United States Senator from Alabama (1853-1861) and . . . — Map (db m134092) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — FAI-030 — Immaculate Conception Church
By August, 1904, when a Catholic priest arrived in Fairbanks, all choice lots in the center of town were taken. Father Francis Monroe, a Jesuit missionary, selected land at the edge of town, bordering the Chena River. The first Roman Catholic Church . . . — Map (db m135350) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Alaska Native Brotherhood HallHas Been Designated a National Historic Landmark

This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. The hall is the place of importance in the native community. The original chapter of Alaska Native Brotherhood built this hall in 1914 to . . . — Map (db m133827) HM

Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — In This Place
The first American flag was raised by a colorguard from Company F, 9th Infantry, to signify the transfer of Alaska from czarist Russia. The first 49 star American flag was raised on July 4, 1959, by a colorguard from the First Battle Group 9th . . . — Map (db m133863) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Sentinel of a Divided Town
The replica blockhouse before you, a symbol of Russia's role in Alaska's history, represents the walled fortifications that defined the limits of its control. These blockhouses, or watchtowers, each housing cannons, protected the Russian . . . — Map (db m133826) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — St. Michael's Cathedral
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States — Map (db m133922) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Tilson Building
This large frame house was constructed as a Russian residence about 1835. Although there has been some modification the building is thought to be the finest remaining example of Russian secular architecture in Alaska. — Map (db m133829) HM
Arizona (Gila County), Roosevelt — The Bridge1987-1990
Before dam modifications could begin, a $21.3 million bridge was built to relocate traffic off the top of Roosevelt Dam. Roosevelt Lake Bridge is the longest two-lane, single-span, steel-arch bridge in North America. The bridge, spanning 1,080 feet . . . — Map (db m134161) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early TourismHistoric Sedona
Soldiers from Camp Verde were early tourists to Sedona, enjoying the beauty, cooler temperatures and Oak Creek as a break from the camp.

As early as 1895, Lou Thomas turned Bear Howard’s cabin into a two-story hunting fishing lodge. It was . . . — Map (db m133684) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — John Wayne & His Sedona ConnectionHistoric Sedona
His first time as producer John Wayne was to also star in the film “Angel and the Badman”. He had been to Sedona to film his 1944 movie “Tall in the Saddle”. The owner of the local film outfitter and catering company invited . . . — Map (db m133680) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Little Horse Park/Chapel of the Holy CrossHistoric Sedona
Little Horse Park, now called the Chapel area, was originally a mixture of private and US Forest Service property. Lee Piper homestead there and Otto Hallermund held the Forest Service-issued grazing permit for the area – part of the Sedona . . . — Map (db m133690) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — OrchardsHistoric Sedona
Sedona’s earliest permanent settlers planted fruit trees as they arrived along Oak Creek. Apples and peaches seemed to grow well along with apricots and plums. Grapevines didn’t take as long to mature as fruit trees so the Schuerman’s planted grapes . . . — Map (db m133679) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Heritage MuseumHistoric Sedona
The Sedona Heritage Museum opened in 1998. It focuses on the history of the pioneer settlers of the greater Oak Creek area and those related historic themes that contributed to the settlement and development of Sedona.

The Museum is housed in . . . — Map (db m133693) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Historical SocietyHistoric Sedona
The Sedona Historical Society is a non-profit organization whose mission is to research, preserve and teach the history of the greater Sedona area. The Society plays an active and important role in local historic preservation and in displaying and . . . — Map (db m133688) HM
California (Butte County), Forbestown — Black Bart, the PO8
attacked La Port (sic) – Oroville stage here, July 13, 1888. Frank N. Morse, driver, was repulsed by George Hackett, armed messenger for Wells Fargo Express. Twenty eight stage hold-ups in California 1875-1883 are credited to Black Bart, lone . . . — Map (db m134505) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — 382 — Colonel Thomas Baker
California Historical Landmark Colonel Thomas Baker Civil Engineer – Lawyer Farmer – Soldier 1810 – 1872 In 1863 Colonel Baker came to this location. A friend to all travelers. His settlement became known at . . . — Map (db m134436) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Cement Production in Tehachapi
Tehachapi has had a long association with limestone and cement due to the naturally occurring limestone deposits in the region. As early as 1877 a kiln in Antelope Canyon was producing 400 to 500 barrels of lime. Throughout the area there is . . . — Map (db m134506) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Early Explorers in the Tehachapi Area
The first non-Indian man known to visit the local Indians in the Tehachapi area was Father Francisco Garces in 1776. He didn’t record much about them other than to record that they gave him food and were friendly people.

In 1826, mountain man . . . — Map (db m134566) HM

California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Early Settlers
California became a state in 1850. Settlers could lay claim to land by homestead, timber, mining and pre-emption rights. John and Amanda Brite were the first permanent settlers in the Tehachapi area, arriving in 1854 from Texas, building a mission . . . — Map (db m134562) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — First Roads and Highway 58
In the early days of the Tehachapi Valley traveling was arduous as there were only trails and wagon tracks, a few toll roads and the stage routes. The road to Bakersfield from Tehachapi followed the current Woodford – Tehachapi Road, curving . . . — Map (db m135039) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Importance of Water and Creation of Brite Lake
In 1947 the Tehachapi Soil Conservation District was organized to advise the farm industry. It was apparent by the early 1960s that if agriculture were to continue as economic force in the District, additional water had to be found. In the early . . . — Map (db m135047) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Mining, Gold, Salt and Limestone
In 1859 and 1860 miners drifted into the area from the Kern River Valley. They found gold and silver in the hills and canyons of the Tehachapi Range. In 1876 the Tehachapi Mining District was formed. In 1877, J.J. Hendrickson made a small fortune . . . — Map (db m134560) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Ranching, Farming and Orchards
Tehachapi’s early settlers grazed cattle on the abundant grass of the open range until the great droughts of the 1860s & 70s reduced the herds. Herds increased again in the 1880s and large ranches began such as the Hill Ranch, the Tehachapi Cattle . . . — Map (db m134558) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Real Estate Development Since The 1960sGolden Hills, Bear Valley Springs,Stallion Springs, Alpine Forest Park,Mountain Meadows,Sand Canyon
Golden Hills – In early 1960s, the purchase of four ranches in the Old Town area by the Murchison Brothers of Dallas, Texas, became the major development in the Tehachapi area with 5500 acres, first known as Oak Knolls. Boise Cascade . . . — Map (db m135041) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Airport and Gliderport
On February 16, 1914 Silas Christofferson made the first flight over the Tehachapi range above Tehachapi at an “altitude of 800 feet and was in plain view of the mountain folk who turned out in large numbers to see him pass.” There was . . . — Map (db m134502) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — 508 — Tehachapi Loop
From this spot may be seen a portion of the world-renowned “Loop.” It was completed in 1876 under the direction of William Hood, Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer. In gaining elevation around central hill of loop a 4000 foot train will . . . — Map (db m134430) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi Pass Railroad LineConstructed 1874 – 1876 — Commemorated October 1998 —
In front of you is the world famous Tehachapi Loop which is about halfway upgrade to the Tehachapi Pass. This steep line averages 2.2% in gradient in its 28 miles of length. This feat of civil engineering genius was crowning achievement of civil . . . — Map (db m134431) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi’s Founding Fathers And Incorporation in 1909
An 1897 Bakersfield newspaper reported 642 inhabitants in Tehachapi and that the town was prosperous. Among the 50 or more businesses listed were 2 general stores, 3 blacksmiths, a grocery and a butcher shop, 2 barber shops, livery stables and feed . . . — Map (db m135048) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The KawaiisuTehachapi's Native American People — Tomo-Kahni State Histori Park —
The first people to inhabit the Tehachapi area called themselves Nuwa, which means “the people.” Known as Kawaiisu by neighboring tribes, they are of Shoshonean stock and speak a version of Uto-Aztecan language. Anthropologists believe . . . — Map (db m134573) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Railroad and the Tehachapi LoopEstablishment of Tehachapi – 1876
The Tehachapi Pass played an important part in the race to build the first transcontinental railroad. In the south, construction was stopped at Caliente by what appeared as an insurmountable barrier, allowing the northern route through Donner Pass . . . — Map (db m134561) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — The Women's Prison in Tehachapi - 1932Became California Correction Institution for Men in 1954
In 1933 California’s first women’s prison was established in Tehachapi to provide an environment more conductive to rehabilitation than San Quentin State Prison. Two-story buildings were constructed of reinforced concrete in the French Normandy . . . — Map (db m134503) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — What a Shock! The 1952 Earthquake
At 4:52 a.m. on July 21, 1952 Tehachapi residents were awaken by an earthquake lasting 45 seconds and registering 7.7 on the Richter Scale (lowered in recent years to 7.5). The quake claimed 11 lives, injured others and left 70% of the buildings in . . . — Map (db m135037) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Wind Energy Industry
During the first US energy crises in the 1970s the need for a sustainable and renewable energy was evident and President Jimmy Carter created the first renewable energy program in the country. In the early 1980s the first commercial electricity from . . . — Map (db m135045) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Aqua Dulce — Toney ResidenceVasquez Rocks
Ray A. Toney and his son Edward A. Toney built this ranch-style residence on property homesteaded by William H. Krieg, Ray's uncle. The Toneys, a pioneering Agua Dulce family, built the residence during the Great Depression using wood salvaged from . . . — Map (db m133731) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Historic Coast Redwood GroveCanoga Park High School
Trees have always been an important consideration at Canoga Park High School since its founding in 1915. Many varieties of beautiful trees have been planted on campus over the years including the majestic Coast Redwood, (Sequoia Sempervirens), the . . . — Map (db m135071) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canyon Country — Chinese Railroad Workers
On this centennial we honor over three thousand Chinese who helped build the Southern Pacific Railroad and the San Fernando Tunnel. Their labor gave California the first north-south railway, changing the state’s history. — Map (db m133729) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canyon Country — Lang Station
On this exact site (or hereabouts) 100 years ago, Clamper Charles Crocker drove a spike of pure California gold, completing the Southern Pacific Railroad link between San Francisco & Los Angeles, Queen of Counties. — Map (db m133821) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 947 — CBS Columbia Square Studios
On this site was established the first motion picture studio in Hollywood, October 27, 1911. CBS Columbia Square Studios, International style. William Lescaze, architect. Earl Heitschmidt, associate architect. Built 1938. Declared 2009. . . . — Map (db m133742) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Crescenta — Crescenta Valley ParkGerman-American History
Between 1934 and 1957, most of this area in Crescenta Valley Community Regional Park, west of Dunsmore Avenue and south of Honolulu Avenue, was a private park owned by the German-American League. The private park, named Hindenburg Park in memorial . . . — Map (db m133816) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Rancho Los AlamitosHonoring the Indians
Honoring the Indians of Puvungna who fished these shores long before the reign of the Dons. U.S.A. Bicentennial year 1975 Susan B. Anthony Chapter NSDAR — Map (db m132708) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1022 — Department of Water and PowerCity of Los Angeles — General Office Building —
From pueblo to metropolis, the history of the City of Los Angeles is indelibly linked with the development of community water and power supplies. This building is dedicated to that enduring relationship past, present and future. Water for life . . . — Map (db m133845) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Distribution Station No. 2Department of Water and Power
Commemorating 50 years of power service to the citizens of Los Angeles beginning November 13, 1916 from this distributing station. — Map (db m134909) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Electric Power PoleCity of Los Angeles
On this corner, March 30, 1916, was erected the first pole of the municipal electric distribution system of the City of Los Angeles. This plaque placed February 5, 1952, by the Department of Water and Power as a part of the commemoration . . . — Map (db m134910) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Godzilla, King of the Monsters!
On November 3, 1954, Toho Studios in Japan released a monster movie that was an allegory of the atomic bombings and fire raids visited upon the Japanese during the closing months of the Second World War. Produced by Tomoyuki Tanaka, directed by . . . — Map (db m134631) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montrose — The Crescenta-Cañada Valley
When the Colonials of the American eastern seaboard were struggling to create and defend man’s most noble achievement in self government, the vast Pacific Southwest was a slumbering frontier. Barely six years before Paul Revere made his famous ride . . . — Map (db m135165) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montrose — The Great Flood of 1934
On this site American Legion Post 288 once stood. The great flood swept through its walls shortly after midnight on New Year’s Day, taking with it 12 local residents. Most had taken refuge inside from the torrential rain and two were dedicated Red . . . — Map (db m134845) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Original Site of Throop UniversityForerunner of California Institute of Technology
Original Site of Throop University Established on November 2, 1891 Forerunner of California Institute of Technology — Map (db m134141) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Saugus — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m134259) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — 19 — Cathedral Oak Monument
Panel 1: Under this oak — the legend runs — the first Easter Services in California were held by Father Crespi in 1770. Panel 2: Near this spot the Cathedral Oak stood. Time destroyed its roots. This . . . — Map (db m134912) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Lest We Forget1971 Sylmar Earthquake
This tablet presented February 9, 1979, to the Veterans Memorial Park, in loving memory of the many veterans, nurses, and aides of the San Fernando Valley Veterans Hospital, whose lives were lost during the earthquake of February 9, 1971. — Map (db m134140) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Hollywood — Plummer Park
Part of lands occupied by Señora Francisca Perez under preemption law as early as 1869. Surveyed in 1871 as public lands. Deeded by Señora Perez to Eugene R. Plummer in 1877. U.S. patent issued 1880. Purchased by County of Los . . . — Map (db m135251) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Don Gaspar de Portolá
On June 3, 1770 near this spot Don Gaspar de Portolá Soldier Explorer Patriot of Spain Founded the Presidio and settlement of Monterey — Map (db m135033) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — The Wolf Store
This structure, one of the oldest surviving buildings in Riverdale County, was constructed in 1866 and served as a general store along the Southern Emigrant Trail and also as Temecula's post office from 1870 to 1882. Louis Wolf, the proprietor and . . . — Map (db m135360) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — The Wolf Store
This structure, one of the oldest surviving buildings in Riverdale County, was constructed in 1866 and served as a general store along the Southern Emigrant Trail and also as Temecula's post office from 1870 to 1882. Louis Wolf, the proprietor and . . . — Map (db m135361) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — Treaty of Temecula
In this adobe, January 5, 1852, Treaty of Peace and Friendship entered into at village of Temecula between United States and San Luis Rey Kahwea, and Cocomcahra Indians. Treaty important factor furthering relations between southern California . . . — Map (db m135363) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — Lincoln Memorial ShrineErected by the Watchorn Family
As did their friends the Smiley brothers, Robert and Alma Watchorn contributed greatly to Redlands’ cultural life. A labor organizer, Commissioner of Immigration at Ellis Island, and oilman who experienced the American dream, Robert as a . . . — Map (db m135263) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Babcock CourtHonoring Elisha Spurr Babcock, Jr.
Babcock Court Honoring Elisha Spurr Babcock Jr. 1849-1922 Founder of Coronado - 1886 City Incorporated Dec. 11, 1890 Dedicated 1974 Coronado Historical Assocation — Map (db m134438) HM
California (San Diego County), Coronado — Carrothers Court
Carrothers Court Dedicated By the City of Coronado And Honoring Bob Carrothers National Boys Tennis Champion 1937 — Map (db m134445) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Pink Triangle Park and Memorial
In remembrance of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender victims of the Nazi regime (1933-1945)

Artists: Robert Bruce and Susan Martin

A non-profit project sponsored by neighbors, businesses, city agencies, and the Eureka Valley . . . — Map (db m134661) WM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 247 — Swedish American HallSan Francisco Landmark No. 247
Built in 1907, Swedish American Hall is home to the Swedish Society of San Francisco, founded in 1875.

At the turn of the 20th Century, this neighborhood was a large Scandinavian enclave. The hall housed businesses serving the community, . . . — Map (db m134684) HM

California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Moorish Fountain and Indian Community Laundry
Built in 1808 En beneficio de la humanidad by the Franciscan Padres — Map (db m135280) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara County Courthouse
Has been designated a

National Historic Landmark

This courthouse complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States Of America

The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a superlative example . . . — Map (db m135167) HM

California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 1037 — Santa Barbara County Courthouse
The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is one of America's finest representations of Spanish-Andalusian architecture in a public structure. It stands as the prized jewel of the county whose people it serves and whose visitors it delights. After . . . — Map (db m135171) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara Mission Lavanderia
This clothes washing basin or lavanderia was built by the Chumash Indians of Santa Barbara Mission village in 1808. Not all missions built such a structure. The Chumash particularly valued cleanliness and worked to construct this lavanderia fed . . . — Map (db m135254) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Settler’s Grove
Established - March 1991 A Living Monument Honoring The Settler Families of Evergreen Valley and Rancho Yerba Buena — Map (db m127824) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Aptos — Seacliff SS Palo Alto 100 years
Fearing the world might run out of steel, the United States commissioned tankers built of concrete during World War I (1914-1918). Launched in Oakland on May 29, 1919, the SS Palo Alto arrived too late to serve her intended purpose. She remained . . . — Map (db m134748) HM
California (Stanislaus County), Oakdale — Oakdale Saddle Club
The Oakdale Saddle Club was started by a group of local "horsemen” and incorporated in July of 1945. They began by putting on some local horse activities after completing the basic work on the grounds they had purchased. Rodeos emerged in . . . — Map (db m134034) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — “Fruit Brandy” StillPleasant Valley Museum
This "Fruit Brandy” still was donated by the Robert E. Nunn family. It had been on a ranch in the Santa Barbara area when Wm. Templeton [father of Beth Nunn, grandfather of Kevin and Kyle Nunn] rescued it. On display at the . . . — Map (db m134939) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — St. Francis Dam Disaster90th Anniversary
This memorial is dedicated to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the St. Francis Dam Disaster. Just before midnight on March 12, 1928, the dam collapsed and sent billions of gallons of water down the San Francisquito Canyon, eventually meeting . . . — Map (db m134147) HM
California (Ventura County), Somis — 133 — The Somis School
The Somis School building is located on the former site of the Somis Methodist Church. It was built in 1924 to replace the older school building which became the Somis Thursday Clubhouse. Originally the school had only three classrooms. . . . — Map (db m134946) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 7 — Crowley House
The Crowley house was built in 1910 for Frank and Mae Crowley. In the 1920s, the home served as the sales office and dining venue for prospective home buyers interested in purchasing a home in the new development of Thousand Oaks. E.B. . . . — Map (db m134189) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — The First Community
Near this site, the village of Shisholop, home to 300 to 400 Chumash, once stretched from the beach near the base of Figueroa Street inland past the San Buenaventura Mission. From its beginning, about 1000 AD., Shisholop (meaning . . . — Map (db m135241) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 3e — Cherry Creek Emigrant's SongWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
. . . — Map (db m135352) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 4W — Coal Miner's DaughterWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Josephine Roche, daughter of a wealthy coal mine operator, ran for governor in 1934. She advocated a progressive sales tax that fell heavily on the rich. Although she lost the election, she became Assistant Secretary of Treasury, the second . . . — Map (db m135101) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 5w — D&F Tower and Skyline ParkWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The D&F Tower at the corner of 16th and Arapahoe Streets is all that remains of the Daniels & Fisher department store that stood on this block. After its construction in 1911, the D&F Tower was for many years the tallest building in Denver. . . . — Map (db m135103) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 7w — Don't PanicWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The Silver Panic of 1893 brought 17th Street to her knees. Eventually she recovered; gold was the reason she survived. Golden riches arrived from the mines of Cripple Creek filling Denver's coffers. This Golden Era is symbolized by the gold . . . — Map (db m135105) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 4e — Private Profits and the Public GoodWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Unlike San Francisco, which the Spanish founded as a mission, and Salt Lake City, which the Mormons started as a communal religious utopia, Denver originated as a place to make money. From the beginning, the town aspired to be the supply hub: . . . — Map (db m135357) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 6W — Rails and MountainsWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Down 17th Street, Longs Peak is visible over the roof of Union Station. Together, they symbolize two bases of Denvers economy. Since its founding in 1858, Denver has taken advantage of its location for freight and passenger transportation. Starting . . . — Map (db m135104) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 1e — Rocky Mountain FashionWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
“Your ruffle shirts, standing collars and all kinds of fine clothing had better be left in your wardrobe at home. Discard all cotton or linen clothing; adapt yourself at once to woolen and leather; provide yourself with woolen underclothes. . . . — Map (db m135351) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 9e — Take Your PickWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
. . . — Map (db m135315) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The Women's Suffrage Association of Colorado
Was founded on this site at a meeting in the Unity Church on January 11, 1876. In 1893 Colorado became the second state in the Union to grant women the right to vote. — Map (db m135106) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 2e — Yo Soy JoaquinWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Rodolfo Corky Gonzales born in Denver June 18, 1928, son of a migrant worker, helped organize and lead the Chicano civil and human rights movement of the 1960s and '70s. He advocated equality, justice and self-determination for the Chicano/Mexicano . . . — Map (db m135326) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — The Garden of the Gods
Given to the City of Colorado Springs in 1909 by the children of Charles Elliott Perkins In fulfilment of his wish that it be kept forever free to the public — Map (db m135023) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Time Frozen In StoneGarden of the Gods Park
This rock formation, called Sentinel Rock, is a geologic treasure. It is composed of two types of rock - a fine sandstone and a gravelly conglomerate. The various layers in this rock were deposited 275 million years ago. During that time, ancient . . . — Map (db m135022) HM
Colorado (Fremont County), Cotopaxi — The Cotopaxi Jewish Agricultural Colony 1882-1884
"Set up for yourself roadmarks...the way by which you went. Return, O virgin of Israel" Jeremiah 31:21 Nearly 70 Jewish immigrants were settled in and near Cotopaxi. Facing insurmountable challenges, the ill equipped . . . — Map (db m134127) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Unionville — Suburban Park 1895-1905
Also known as Rainbow Park, Suburban Park was owned and operated by the Farmington Street Railway Company, which charged fifteen cents for the one hour and fifteen-minute ride from Hartford. At thirty-five acres, the park extended well into . . . — Map (db m134917) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Unionville — Unionville
Located at the west end of Farmington, the village of Unionville was first recognized as such by the U.S. Postal Service in 1834. Earlier it was called Langdon’s Quarter and then Union District. Residents took full advantage of the Farmington . . . — Map (db m134927) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — The Envoy
The Envoy is a designated D.C. Landmark and is placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior Built -- 1916 Restored -- 1981 — Map (db m135080) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Home Theatre 1916-19511230 C Street NE
Designed 1916 in Moorish Revival Style Architect William S. Plager (1860-1946) Photo: circa 1926 Goode Collection Library of Congress Redesigned 1941 in Art Deco Style Architect Mihran Mesrobian . . . — Map (db m134068) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Victory Garden
Victory Gardens, also called War Gardens, were planted both at private residences and on public land during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort. The AOC donates produce harvested . . . — Map (db m134090) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Deanwood — 8 — With These HandsA Self-Reliant People — Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail —
Up the Hill to your left are several signature handcrafted houses, Beginning in the late 1800s, Deanwood attracted skilled black migrants, who freely passed on their know-how. In the 1920s Jacob and Randolph Dodd built about 50 structures in . . . — Map (db m134409) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Winder BuildingErected 1848 — Purchased by United States Government 1852 —
During the Civil War this building was Headquarters of the United States Army. Major General Winfield Scott, Major General Halleck and later Lieutenant General U.S. Grant had their offices here. It also housed the Bureau of Military Justice, . . . — Map (db m133739) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 2 — New Town in the CityRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail —
All that surrounds this sign resulted from the nation's first urban renewal project. To your left is Arena Stage, a leader in the resident company theater movement. Founded as an innovative theater-in-the-round in an old downtown movie theater . . . — Map (db m133833) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Sarah P. Duke GardensDuke University, Durham, North Carolina
Sarah P. Duke Gardens creates and nurtures an environment in the heart of Duke University for learning, inspiration, and enjoyment through excellence in horticulture and community engagement. The 55-acre garden was first planted in 1934 as a garden . . . — Map (db m134245) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Seaman A. Knapp
Seaman A. Knapp Memorial Arch So named by the Congress in Resolution approved by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, June 16, 1934 to honor the memory of Seaman A. Knapp 1833-1911 Founder of Farm Demonstration Work . . . — Map (db m134589) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — Fort RenoRock Creek Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
At 409 feet above sea level, this site is the highest point in Washington, D.C. It is no coincidence that in 1861, the Union army designed one the largest and most heavily armed Civil War fortifications at this location. Originally named . . . — Map (db m133962) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Museum
The Florida Museum traces its roots to the 1890s at Florida Agricultural College in Lake City. In 1906, the collections moved to the UF campus in Gainesville. On May 30, 1917, the Florida State Museum became the state's official natural history . . . — Map (db m134906) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-316 — The Law School Burial Mound
100 yards west is an aboriginal burial mound built ca. A.D. 1000 by Alachua Tradition peoples, ancestors of the Potano Indians who lived in Alachua County in the 16th and 17th centuries. Initially several individuals were buried in a central grave, . . . — Map (db m134742) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-1002 — Timucua Burial Mound/Timucua People
(side 1) Timucua Burial Mound This earthen mound pays tribute to the ancestors of the Timucua Indians who lived and established villages near lakes and other sources of fresh water in north central Florida. Around 950 CE, following . . . — Map (db m134740) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — F-435 — First Jewish House of Worship in Florida
Jewish families in Pensacola began organized worship following the Civil War. On this site in 1876 a Reform Jewish Synagogue was constructed. The State of Florida granted a charter in 1878 for Congregation Beth El. Temple Beth El joined the Union of . . . — Map (db m134326) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Perdido Key — TamparyEst. 1964
Site of the floor safe of the original Flora-Bama, built in 1964, by Theodore "Ted” Tampary, who, with his wife Ellen, had the foresight to establish the iconic watering hole on the state line after Florida traded two miles of pristine . . . — Map (db m134214) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Bunnell — Tribute to VeteransFlagler County
Flagler County Tribute To All Veterans Dedicated May 30, 1987 — Map (db m134603) WM
Florida (Highlands County), Sebring — F-918 — Hendricks Field Memorial Park
This original 72’ flagpole at the Sebring International Raceway marks the geographic center of Hendricks Field, a United States Army Air Force (USAAF) base that operated under the jurisdiction of the 76th Flying Training Wing from 1942-1945. . . . — Map (db m134905) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade Country), Miami — Bay of Pigs Monument
Cuba A los martires de la Brigada de Asalto 2506 17 de Abril 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion Junta Directiva 2002-2004 Martires de Giron Julio Acosta Ruiz ∙ Eufrasio Aleman Aleman ∙ Elio Aleman Armenteros ∙ Pedro I. Amaro Abreu . . . — Map (db m134738) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Cause for Conservation
Cause for Conservation "The wild unspoiled beauty of Cape Florida - 510 acres of pines, palms, and beach at the tip of Key Biscayne - has long been hailed...as a natural park and nature reserve." "Eight years ago, The Miami News urged . . . — Map (db m134818) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Dade Heritage Trust’s Cape Florida Lighthouse Brick Program
Dade Heritage Trust’s Cape Florida Lighthouse Brick Program Dade Heritage Trust is the leading voice for historic preservation in Miami-Dade County. Founded as a nonprofit in 1972, Dade Heritage Trust works to preserve the architectural, . . . — Map (db m134814) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Restoration Hardware
Restoration Hardware Have you ever wondered how people a hundred years from now will know how we lived? Preserving historical structures, such as the Cape Florida Lighthouse, is one way to connect the past with the present. In 1996, the . . . — Map (db m134825) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — Road to Restoration
Road to Restoration Years of weather and wear left the Lighthouse in need of tender love and care. The road to restoration for the Cape Florida Lighthouse was long, but exciting. First, craftsmen laid approximately 23,000 bricks to repair . . . — Map (db m134816) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — The Archaeology of Key Biscayne
The Archaeology of Key Biscayne Archaeologists began work on Key Biscayne in 1985 and have uncovered hundreds of artifacts providing clues of human habitation beginning with the Tequesta Indians and continuing through the mid-nineteenth . . . — Map (db m134806) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Key Biscayne — The Bahama Dinghy
the Bahama Dinghy A small study sailing boat was essential for coastal and island residents in a time before roads and bridges. Used for trips to nearby settlements to buy and sell supplies, to transport cargo and people to and from sailing . . . — Map (db m134804) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — General Antonio Maceo
“La libertad no se mendiga. Se conquista con el filo del machete.” English: “Freedom is not begged for. It is conquered with the edge of the machete.” General Antonio Maceo “El Titan de . . . — Map (db m134798) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — General Máximo Gómez
Generalisimo Maximo Gomez 1886-1905 Nacio en Bani Rep. Dominicana 18 Nov 1836 Libertador de Cuba Donaron e instalaron el busto Jose Bianka y Stephanie Alvarez Aprovado por Comisionado Willy Gort Colaboradores: Consul Dom. Manuel . . . — Map (db m134727) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — José Martí
“Yo quiero, cuando me muera sin patria, pero sin amo, tener en mi losa un ramo de flores, - ¡y una bandera!” English: “I want, when I die, without a country, but without a master, to have on my tomb . . . — Map (db m134797) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Little Havana Honors Our Veterans
Little Havana Honors Our Veterans We salute the brave men and women who have sacrificed so much for our freedom. The courage of our veterans will never be forgotten. We pay tribute to them, including our Bay of Pigs veterans, for their . . . — Map (db m134732) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Memorial to the Fallen of Cuban Liberation
A los mártires que han derramado su sangre por la libertad de Cuba. En el año del centenario de la muerte de nuestro apóstol Jose Marti. 1895-1995 Caballeros de Colon Consejo Beato Marcelino Champagnat Consejo Corpus Christi Miami, 20 . . . — Map (db m134795) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami — Nestor A. Izquierdo
Monumento establecido 8/24/1984 Honrar honra 1992 En memoria de Nestor A. Izquierdo Veterano de la Brigada 2506 U.S.A. Army Esta obra fue realizada por Gilberto Casanova Secretario General de Accion Cubana y algunos . . . — Map (db m134794) WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — 209 9th Street / 900 Collins Avenue
209 9th Street / 900 Collins Avenue Miami Beach, FL. Contributing Structures Miami Beach Architectural District National Register of Historic Places Ocean Drive/Collins Avenue Historic District City of Miami Beach, Florida Originally . . . — Map (db m134710) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Alfredo Gonzalez, Sr.
Alfredo Gonzalez, Sr. (1935-2016) Since the onset, Hispanics have contributed to the rich cultural fabric that makes Miami Beach a great community and destination. It was in this tropical paradise that Alfredo Gonzalez, Sr. set roots in the . . . — Map (db m134713) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Barbara Baer CapitmanGreat Floridians 2000
Barbara Baer Capitman This plaque, unveiled in February 2018, commemorates the completion of the second major rehabilitation of the Cardozo Hotel. The first Art Deco jewel, in which Mrs Capitman initiated her passionate battle to finally . . . — Map (db m134651) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Barbara Baer Capitman
. . . — Map (db m134654) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — F-1001 — Barbara Baer Capitman – Historic Preservationist
Barbara Baer Capitman – Historic Preservationist This building is home to the Miami Design Preservation League, founded by Barbara Baer Capitman in 1976. On May 14, 1979 under her leadership, the Miami Beach Architectural District (Art . . . — Map (db m134707) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Carlos J. Finlay
Carlos J. Finlay 1833-1915 Who discovered the transmission of yellow fever by the mosquito and made it posible to ovecome such a terrible scourge The world regards this Cuban scientist as a great benefactor of humanity Presented to the City . . . — Map (db m134648) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Casa Casuarina
Casa Casuarina 1930 1226 Ocean Drive A modern adaptation of the Alcazar de Colon home of the Columbus family in Santo Domingo: the arms are copied from the Tomb of Columbus in the Cathedral of Santo Domingo. The brick above is from the . . . — Map (db m134657) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Egyptian Filling Station
The Lummus Brothers of Ocean Beach Realty Co. platted an addition to the Ocean Beach Subdivision in 1913. The area was sparsely settled with small seasonal rooming houses and 2 story homes. In 1926 the NW corner of Collins Avenue and 14th street . . . — Map (db m134714) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — First Church on Miami Beach
First Church established on Miami Beach 1921 In appreciation to Carl & Jane Fisher who gave the land on which this church was built 1920 — Map (db m134801) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Jackie Gleason
Jackie Gleason 1916-1987 Best known as Ralph Kramden in “The Honeymooners.” The Theater broadcast his television variety show from 1964-1970. It was built in 1950 as part of the Miami Beach Convention Center Complex. Originally . . . — Map (db m134721) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — José Martí
Jose Marti 1853-1895 A tribute from all Cubans and Latin Americans in exile honoring his inspired patriotic life devoted to freedom and justice for all “No son bellas las playas del destierro hasta que se les dice . . . — Map (db m134649) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Melvin J. Richard
Melvin J. Richard Melvin J. Richard came to Miami Beach in 1926 at the age of 14. His first labor for the young city was digging ditches for its water pipes, at 35 cents an hour. In 1934, at age 22, he became the 6th attorney in the city. In . . . — Map (db m134650) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Miami Beach Municipal Auditorium
Miami Beach Municipal Auditorium 1950 1951 Dedicated to the memory of the men and women of our community who have served their country in peace and in war to preserve our American heritage of democracy. This building is tangible evidence of . . . — Map (db m134717) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Scarface
This is the actual staircase that was used in the filming of the “1983” classic movie “Scarface” Starring: Al Pacino, Steven Bauer, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Michelle Pfeiffer. This scene depicts the chainsaw . . . — Map (db m134441) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — Simón Bolívar
Simón Bolivar “El Libertador” 1783-1830 Un tributo de la Familia Hernández y cubanos del exilio al Libertador de los países Bolivarianos, en reconocimiento y honor a su patriotismo de libertad y justicia para el pueblo. . . . — Map (db m134629) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — South Beach Art Deco District
South Beach Art Deco District Miami Beach National Register Architectural District Affectionately known as the "Art Deco" District, the Miami Beach Architectural District embodies the design continuum of the City from its early development . . . — Map (db m134709) HM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Miami Beach — The Sephardic Jewish Center
The Sephardic Jewish Center of Greater Miami Existed in this building between 1960 and 1993 — Map (db m134626) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Key West — 6 — The Trev-Mor HotelCirca 1919 — Key West Historic Marker —
Built with bricks from Fort Taylor dating back to 1845, this building is one of Key West's first hotels. It featured a car dealership on the first floor and hotel rooms on the upper two floors. Ernest Hemingway and his wife stayed here in 1928, and . . . — Map (db m134524) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Yulee — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for liberty, human . . . — Map (db m134479) WM
Florida (Palm Beach County), West Palm Beach — F-509 — Grandview Heights Historic District
In response to the heavy influx of new residents into South Florida at the turn of the century and the introduction of the automobile, local developers and real estate agents purchased the less expensive land outside of the West Palm Beach downtown . . . — Map (db m134745) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-964 — South Ward School Site
In 1873, the first school under public administration in present-day Pinellas County was established in a log structure originally built for the Midway Baptist Church in the area of what is now the Clearwater Municipal Cemetery. In 1884, the school . . . — Map (db m135325) HM
Florida (Seminole), Longwood — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories . . . — Map (db m133781) WM
Florida (Seminole), Longwood — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for . . . — Map (db m133787) WM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Ramey FieldNaval Air Station Sanford
Ramey Field Dedicated To LCDR Robert W. Ramey United States Navy 1920 - 1958 Who sacrificed his life on June 2, 1958 saving the lives of his crew members when the A3D aircraft, of which he was pilot, crashed February 6, . . . — Map (db m135185) HM WM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Arriving in Style
If you visited St. Augustine at the turn of the century, you would have traveled to Florida aboard a steamboat on the St. Johns River to Tocoi, 18 miles west of St. Augustine. At Tocoi, you boarded the St. Johns Railroad for a four hour ride in . . . — Map (db m134497) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Henry Flagler's "Winter Newport"
In 1876, tycoon Henry Flagler took his ailing wife to St. Augustine to get her away from Cleveland's cold winters. Although he was delighted by the magnificent orange groves, lodging was primitive, and the pace was too leisurely for his taste. . . . — Map (db m134493) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Jail on Wheels
In 1877, the governor of Florida instituted a convict leasing program to make money for the state. The program required road crews to be moved and housed. Mule pulled jail wagons provided both secure, though miserable, housing and transport. The . . . — Map (db m134489) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — New Augustine Colored Elementary School #36--School Street-- — 1901 - 1959 —
This site, and main-building, has served as administration, classroom instruction, and community center—circa 1901 to 1959 – and as a BEACON-OF- HOPE for the educational and cultural aspirations of a community with great . . . — Map (db m134538) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — On With The Show
In 1840, an acting troupe visiting St. Augustine fell victim to a Seminole attack. A theatrical troupe and other travelers making their way by stagecoach to St. Augustine, was ambushed on the Picolata Road by Seminole chief Coacoochee "Wild Cat" . . . — Map (db m134494) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Slaves No More
Fort Mose was established in 1738, when over 100 runaway slaves arrived seeking refuge from their northern plantations. It was the first free Black settlement of self-emancipated slaves in what is now the United States. Spanish Governor Manuel . . . — Map (db m134492) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — The 1870 Hildreth House
To save it from pending demolition, this three-story, steep gable-roofed house was relocated to Old Town St. Augustine on December 7, 2004. This was not the first time the house had moved. In a former life it was the north wing of the Hildreth . . . — Map (db m134500) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Up in Smoke
At the turn of the century, St. Augustine's cigar industry was flourishing. Balmy nights and a good cigar were a tradition. Just after World War I, the cigar industry flourished in St. Augustine. It was second only to the Florida East Coast . . . — Map (db m134496) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Viva Cuba!
José Martí, a leading advocate for Cuban independence from Spain, visited St. Augustine in 1892. Martí came to collect support, supplies, and weapons for the Cuban Revolution. He met with St. Augustine's Cuban population, many of them cigar workers. . . . — Map (db m134495) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Walk to Freedom
In 1768, Scottish physician, Dr. Andrew Turnbull, received a large land grant 70 miles south of St. Augustine. Turnbull recruited 1,403 villagers from the Mediterranean and Baltic Islands of Minorca, Greece, Turkey and Corsica as indentured servants . . . — Map (db m134498) HM
Florida (Sumter County), Wildwood — Baker HouseBuilt Circa 1890
Baker House was the home to Senator David Hume Baker and his wife Mary. They moved from Kentucky where he served as a State Senator. He also served as a Florida Senator for Marion and Sumter Counties. He was a bank investor, county commissioner and . . . — Map (db m134360) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1937-1938 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Sept. 5, 1937 – 51.2 miles. 1st-Smokey Purser, ‘37 Ford; 2nd-Mike Cone; 3rd-Danny Murphy. July 10, 1938 – 150.4 miles. 1st-Danny Murphy, ’38 Ford; 2nd-Bill France; 3rd-Mike Cone. Sept. 5, 1938, 156.8 miles. 1st-Bill . . . — Map (db m134915) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1939 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Mar. 19 – 156.8 miles. 1st–J. Sam Rice, '39 Mercury; 2nd–Bill France; 3rd–Joe Littlejohn July 4 – 160 miles. 1st–Stewart Joyce-'32 Ford; 2nd–Smokey Purser; 3rd–Bill Tanner Sept. 4 – . . . — Map (db m134937) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1940 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Mar. 10 – 160 miles. 1st – Roy Hall, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Joe Littlejohn; 3rd – Cannonball Bob Baker July 7 – 160 miles. 1st – Bill France, ’39 Buick; 2nd – Joe Littlejohn; 3rd –Smokey Purser . . . — Map (db m134940) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1941 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Mar. 2 – 160 miles . 1st – Roy Hall, Ford: 2nd – Smokey Purser; 3rd – Tommy Elmore Mar. 30 – 160 miles, 1st – Smokey Purser - ’39 Ford; 2nd – Roy Hall; 3rd – Joe Littlejohn July 27 . . . — Map (db m135026) HM

1499 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1099
Paid Advertisement