Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

343 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 143
 
Bacalar Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, March 31, 2019
Bacalar Marker
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bacalar
Bacalar Las maravillas y recursos naturales de Bacalar lo hacen uno de los lugares más bellos del estado de Quintana Roo. De nombre maya Bakjalal, que significa "rodeado de carrizos", esta zona se ubica en la ribera de la laguna que . . . — Map (db m134129) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bacalar as a Municipality
Bacalar Como Municipio El 26 de junio de 2007, por acuerdo del cabildo de Othón P. Blanco, Bacalar fue elevada a la categoria de ciudad, y el 2 de febrero de 2011 por decreto del Congreso de Quintana Roo fue constituida en cabecera . . . — Map (db m134122) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bacalar During the XVth Century
Bacalar en el Siglo XV Para el año de 1476 la mancha poblacional de bacalar estaba comprendida entre la calle 1 con 18, hasta la calle 26 con 7, aproximadamente 15 años después al desmembramiento de la entonces Liga de Mayapan, con el . . . — Map (db m134174) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bridge of the Fort of San Felipe
Puente En el siglo XVIII este puente servía de acceso para la realización de las diversas actividades cotidianas del personal y para evitar los ataques que el fuerte sufría. English: Bridge In the 18th century, . . . — Map (db m134118) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Ichkabal Bacalar
Ichkabal Bacalar El nombre de Ichkabal le fue asignado apenas en marzo de 1995, cuando los primeros arqueólogos llegaron al lugar acompañados de guias locales; el nombre significa “entre bajos”, con lo cual quisieron . . . — Map (db m134136) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
1810 1965 Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Padre de la Patria Homenaje del Gobierno y Junta de Mejoras Materiales – Bacalar Q Roo Sbre 15 de 1965 English: 1810-1965 Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Father of the Nation . . . — Map (db m134123) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Moat of the Fort of San Felipe
Foso El foso es una trinchera profunda, excavada para formar una barrera contra ataques a las murallas del Castillo. La fosa dificultaba el acceso de los ejércitos enemigos. La fosa ahora se ha convertido en jardín con figuras de . . . — Map (db m134075) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Regional Museum of Bacalar
Museo Regional de Bacalar En el km 138 al noroeste de Chetumal sobre la costera de la laguna, se localiza esta fortificación del siglo XVIII que ha quedado como ejemplo de la arquitectura militar de la Nueva España, además de ser . . . — Map (db m134173) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — San Felipe Fort
Fuerte de San Felipe Con más de 270 años de antigüedad, el Fuerte de San Felipe Provee un rico panorama sobre la historia de Bacalar y las regiones circunvecinas, desde el periodo pre-hispánico hasta la Guerra de Castas. Localizo en . . . — Map (db m134120) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — The House of Culture
Casa de la Cultura Bacalar Pueblo Mágico Quintana Roo La Casa de la Cuitura que data del siglo XIX, fue reconstruida por el gobierno del estado e Inaugurada por el Presidente de la República en el mes de Julio de 1990. En la . . . — Map (db m134138) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Bacalar — Fort of San Felipe
Fuerte de San Felipe El Fuerte de San Felipe fue construido en 1733 por ordenes de Don Antonio de Figueroa y Silva, Capitán General de Yucatán, para proteger a la población de Bacalar de los frecuentes ataques piratas y defender la . . . — Map (db m134073) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Calderitas — Oxtankah Archaeological Site
Oxtankah Zona arqueológica Patriomonio Cultural de Quintana Roo y de la Nación El nombre con el que se conoce esta ciudad fue asignado en la década de los treinta del siglo XX y se ignora el original. La traducción de Oxtankah puede . . . — Map (db m134071) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Andrés Quintana Roo
Andrés Quintana Roo 1787-1851 Prócer de la Independencia de México. Integrante del Congreso de Anáhuac Redactó la primera Declaración de Independencia de México. En su honor lleva sus apellidos nuestro estado. English . . . — Map (db m133896) HM WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Benito Juárez García
Benito Juárez García 1806-1872 Benemérito de las Américas Abogado y político liberal de origen zapoteca Promotor de las Leyes de Reforma Presidente de México diciembre 1857 a julio 1872 “Entre los individuos como entre las . . . — Map (db m133943) HM WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Businesses of YesteryearPaseo de los Héroes
Comercios de Antaño El Cid Campeador Otro comercio de muchos recuerdos en la Avenida Héroes “El Cid Campeador”, de Don Ricardo Eljure. Casa del Campesino Edificio que hoy alberga oficinas, la actividad que por muchos . . . — Map (db m133908) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Businesses of YesteryearPaseo de los Héroes
Comercios de Ataño Para el año 1933, entre los comercios destacados se encuentran “La Casa Villanueva” y “La Novedad de la Familia” del señor Francisco Mólgora Ferrari y la señora Carmen Guevara, ubicados en la . . . — Map (db m133919) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Casa de la Crónica
Esta vivienda es Patrimonio Cultural de Quintana Roo 2005 Av. 16 de Septiembre No. 48 Centro Historico C.P. 77000 English translation: This house is a Cultural Heritage Site of Quintana Roo 2005 Avenida 16 de . . . — Map (db m134055) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Chetumal
Chetumal Los edificios más importante del estado de Quintana Roo se encuentran en su capital, la interesante ciudad de Chetumal. Es ahí en donde se resguarda el pasado prehispánico de la entidad, aquel que contempló al pueblo maya de . . . — Map (db m133990) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Chetumal
Chetumal Los edificios más importante del estado de Quintana Roo se encuentran en su capital, la interesante ciudad de Chetumal. Es ahí en donde se resguarda el pasado prehispánico de la entidad, aquel que contempló al pueblo maya de . . . — Map (db m134031) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Chetumal - Where Mexico Begins
Chetumal Donde inicia México Ciudad fundada por marinos en 1898. El malecón conocido como Boulevard Bahía, es el mas largo de toda la península dé Yucatán. Visita, en el corazón de la ciudad, el museo de la Cultura Maya o si . . . — Map (db m134021) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Chetumal Culture
Chetumal Cultura Museo del Faro Considerado uno de los monumentos históricos de Chetumal, el Faro se encuentra en un tramo del Boulevard Bahía y fue construido en la década de los 30 bajo la dirección de Don Federico R. Alcérreca. . . . — Map (db m134043) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Chetumal Meetings
Chetumal Reuniones Congreso del Estado El edificio está decorado con un mural plasmado en una superficie de 24 metros de largo por 8.5 metros de alto. La obra fue realizada por el artista Elio Carmichael y cuenta la historia del . . . — Map (db m134049) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — ChetumaleñasPaseo de los Héroes
Chetumaleñas El antiguo territorio de quintana roo, sentó sus bases más sólidas durante el periodo de gobierno del Gral. Rafael E. Melgar (1935-1940), periodo que la historia y muchos de sus lugareños reconocen como “La época de . . . — Map (db m133901) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Cuauhtémoc
Cuauhtémoc 1495-1525 Aguila que Desciende Ultimo tlatoani mexica de México-Tenochtitlan Fue jefe de armas de la resistencia a la Conquista y defensor heroico de su pueblo. Asumió el poder en 1520, un año antes de la toma de . . . — Map (db m133961) HM WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Dimas SansoresPaseo de los Héroes
Dimas Sansores Dimas Sansores, uno de los fundadores de Payo Obispo, al lado de don Othón P. Blanco. En la década de los 60s/XX seguía en producción una huerta que llegó a tener gran fama como la mejor de la región, gracias a la . . . — Map (db m133973) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Elio CarmichaelPaseo de los Héroes
Elio Carmichael Elio Carmichael Jiménez, nació en Payo Obispo, en 1935, un año antes de que la ciudad cambiara su nombre al de Chetumal. Aquí y en Belice hizo sus estudios elementales y en el Distrito Federal la carrera de pintor, . . . — Map (db m133849) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Francisco I. Madero
Francisco I. Madero 1873-1913 Apóstol de la Revolución Mexicana Empresario y político mexicano Iniciador de la Revolución Mexicana en 1910 Elegido Presidente de México el 6 de noviembre de 1911. Traicionado y asesinado el 22 de . . . — Map (db m133949) HM WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Government PalacePaseo de los Héroes
Palacio de Gobierno Entre los edificios populares de la ciudad se encuentra el primer Palacio de Gobierno que fue construido por los maestros carpinteros Don Antonino Sangri y Prisciliano Ávila. Este importante edificio se inauguró . . . — Map (db m133831) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Heroes of April 1914
A los Heroes del 21 de abril de 1914 “Brigada Chetumal” Asoc. De la H. Esc. Naval Mil. Chetumal Q. Roo 21 de abril 1989. Teniente Jose Azueta Cadete Virgilio Uribe El Gobierno del Estado de Q. Roo y el Municipio de . . . — Map (db m134051) WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Hospital MorelosPaseo de los Héroes
Hospital Morelos Construcción que inicio en 1936, con el se le atribuye al Arquitecto Manuel Amabilis Domínguez. Decorado por el escultor Rómulo Rozo, con un reconocido estilo Art-Deco, destacando la "Fuente de la Salud" Relieve que . . . — Map (db m133971) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Hurricane Janet
Nivel agua Huracán Janet 27 de Septiembre de 1955 English translation: Maximum water height during Hurricane Janet September 27, 1955 — Map (db m133794) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Hurricane Janet
Nivel agua Huracán Janet 27 de Septiembre de 1955 English translation: Maximum water height during Hurricane Janet September 27, 1955 — Map (db m133918) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Hurricane JanetPaseo de los Héroes
Huracán Janet Poco más de siete cuadras (de sur a norte) es la distancia entre el Palacio de Gobierno y el hotel Los Cocos, dos de las principales referencias urbanas que ya estaban en 1955, cuando Chetumal sufrió el azote del huracán . . . — Map (db m133975) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Joop Beljön
Pueblo y Gobierno del Estado de Quintana Roo rinden un cariñoso homenaje póstumo al Maestro Joop Beljön Decano de los escultores del mundo En el marco del Segundo Encuentro Internacional de Escultura realizado en esta Ciudad . . . — Map (db m134012) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — José María Morelos y Pavón
José María Morelos y Pavón 1765-1815 Siervo de la Nación Sacerdote, militar insurgente y patriota mexicano Organizó y fue artífice de la segunda etapa (1811-1815) de la Guerra de Independencia Mexicana. Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperador . . . — Map (db m133917) HM WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Juan Erlindo EralesPaseo de los Héroes
Juan Erlindo Erales Después del incendio del 43, se levantó un edificio de ferretería en la esquina sureste de Héroes y Othón P. Blanco denominado Casa Erales. Su propietario, Juan Erales, como agente de una compañía aseguradora, hace . . . — Map (db m133966) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Juventino Rosas TheaterPaseo de los Héroes
Teatro Juventino Rosas Así lucía el primer tramo de la avenida de Los Héroes, antes de 1960. Ahí se estableció el primer sitio de automóviles de alquiler, y lo más notorio de la imagen viene a ser la desaparición del viejo Palacio de . . . — Map (db m133956) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Juventino Rosas TheaterPaseo de los Héroes
Teatro Juventino Rosas Así lucía el primer tramo de la avenida de Los Héroes, antes de 1960. Ahí se estableció el primer sitio de automóviles de alquiler, y lo más notorio de la imagen viene a ser la desaparición del viejo Palacio de . . . — Map (db m133967) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Kiosko López
Kiosco López Puesto semi fijo, sobre el camellón oriente de la avenida 22 de Marzo y la recién rebautizada Av. de Los Héroes, inició sus operaciones el Kiosco López, del señor Ángel López Ituarte. De ahí se movió a la acera . . . — Map (db m133924) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Manuel Ávila Camacho TheaterPaseo de los Héroes
Manuel Ávila Camacho Otro de los edificios importantes de la ciudad, el teatro “Manuel Ávila Camacho”, fue considerado un icono de la ciudad y construido en 1946 para ser usado como sala cinematográfica pues en aquella . . . — Map (db m133828) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla 1753-1811 Padre de la Patria Sacerdote y Revolucionario Novohispano Inició la Guerra de Independencia de México en 1810 Dirigió militar y políticamente la primera parte de este movimiento Fue juzgado y . . . — Map (db m133915) HM WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Musical BandPaseo de los Héroes
Banda de Música La primera banda musical se formó en 1935 como la Orquesta de Policía, iniciativa del General Rafael Melgar. Años más tarde, convertida en Banda de Música. Su sección de instrumentos de aliento de madera, de metales y . . . — Map (db m133825) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Othón Pompeyo Blanco Núñez de Cáceres
El cacicazgo de Chactemal estuvo habitado opr los mayas desde tiempos muy remotos. Ellos fueron sabios para conservar sus riquezas naturales e indomables en la defensa de sus tierras, preservándolas asi para la nación mexicana Cuando su . . . — Map (db m134017) HM WM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Quintana Roo State SealPaseo de los Héroes
Escudo del Estado Durante el Gobierno de José Siurob Ramírez (1927-1930) se dio al territorio un escudo representativo que fue diseño y esculpido por el pintor y escultor italiano Gaetano Manglioni. Aquel escudo contenía una estrella, . . . — Map (db m133960) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Quintana Roo, from Territory to State
“Quintana Roo de Territorio a Estado” Dimensiones: 2.50 metros de altura por 13.00 metros de largo con un total de 32.50 metros cuadrados. Técnica: “Isoplástica Carrasco” Sinopsis El mural comienza por . . . — Map (db m134033) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Río Hondo
Río Hondo El Río Hondo, con una longitud aproximada de 209 km, es la frontera natural entre Belice y México. Los Mayas lo usaron para introducir armas de contrabando, durante la guerra de castas. Actualmente, dentro de su cause . . . — Map (db m134008) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The Clock TowerPaseo de los Héroes
Torre del Relox La desaparecida Torre del Relox, ubicada entre las avenidas 2 de Abril y 22 de Marzo, hoy avenida Héroes y Carmen Ochoa de Merino fue construida por Antonino Sangri y tenía una altura de 15 metros. La última década que . . . — Map (db m133864) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The Clock Tower
Torre del Relox Al ser declarada Payo Obispo como nueva capital del Territorio Federal en 1915, en este lugar se erigió un monumento conmemorativo en el cual se instaló un faro para la navegación y el reloj que antes perteneció a . . . — Map (db m133865) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The History of Chetumal - 1937-1955 / 1960-2016Paseo de los Héroes
Chetumal Su Historia – 1937-1955 Hotel Los Cocos El entonces Gobernador de Quintana Roo, Gral. Rafael E. Melgar, según Periódico Oficial del Gobierno del Territorio de Quintana Roo de fecha 16 de Noviembre de 1936, decreta las . . . — Map (db m133965) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The History of Chetumal 1898-1905Paseo de los Héroes
Chetumal Su Historia 1898 El Pontón Chetumal Armado en la ciudad de Nueva Orleans, quedó anclado en la confluencia del río Hondo y la Bahía, al mando del teniente de la Armada, Othón P. Blanco. Este suceso tuvo lugar el 22 de . . . — Map (db m133819) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The History of Chetumal 1918-1919Paseo de los Héroes
Chetumal Su Historia 1918 La Tierra del Chicle Lugar donde la naturaleza es exuberante, que en sus selvas con maderas preciosas y el árbol de chicozapote, convirtiendo a la región en uno de los emporios chicleros más importantes de . . . — Map (db m133840) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The History of Chetumal 1920-1930Paseo de los Héroes
Chetumal Su Historia – 1920 Territorio Federal En las primeras dos décadas del siglo XX, el futuro del territorio federal siguió siendo incierto, por la inestabilidad que todo el país sufría desde el término de la dictadura de . . . — Map (db m133964) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The Maya Region and the Route of the ChurchesPaseo de los Héroes
Zona Maya Ruta de las Iglesias Felipe Carillo Puerto: por su ubicación céntrica, entre la Riviera Maya y la Grand Costa Maya, es un punto estratégico de partida para recorrer el municipio y el estado, cuenta con más del 90% de la . . . — Map (db m133921) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — The Southern Fleet
Flotilla de Sur 1899-1914 Un muelle de madera de 100 metros de longitud, dos barracas, un taller mecanico, un gran horno de pan y 40 curvatos para almacenar agua de lluvia, fueron las instalaciones básicas de la Flotilla del Sur. Se . . . — Map (db m134009) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Othón P. Blanco), Chetumal — Theater of the City and the Constitution of Quintana Roo
Teatro de la Ciudad “Constituyentes de 1974” En este edificio, declarado Recinto Oficial de la Legislatura Constituyente, se llevaron a cabo los trabajos para la redacción y expedición de la Constitución Política del . . . — Map (db m134053) HM
Mexico, San Luis Potosí (Municipality of Villa de Reyes), Villa de Reyes — The Fortress
El Fuerte La finca del siglo XVI, conocida como El Fuerte, fue en su momento muy importante por haber sido la única edificación que había en el lugar, dado que el resto de las construcciones aparecieron a partir de 1580. La Gran . . . — Map (db m134057) HM
The Bahamas, New Providence, Nassau — Hand-Cut Well
Our hand-cut well measures 7.4 feet in diameter and has a depth of 74 feet. It is carved from solid limestone and is reminiscent of the Queen's Staircase sculpted between 1793 and 1794 by "slaves from solid rock with axes and other sharp hand . . . — Map (db m134006) HM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Buildings & HousingSandy Row — A little part of Belfast

[Historic photo captions read]

1. Residents of Tea Lane built in 1832

2. Great Victoria St Presbyterian Church

3. A typical kitchen in Tea Lane

4. Mabel Street School

5. A living room scene in Tea Lane

6. A Sandy Row . . . — Map (db m134084) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — CultureSandy Row — A little part of Belfast

[Historic photo captions read]

1. Romance blossoms at the Twelfth bonfire

2. Parade 1981

3. Arch outside Sandro Cinema in 1931

4. Jimmy Fryers on the Lambeg Drum in 1974

5. Sandy Row Orange Hall, opened in 1868

6. . . . — Map (db m134121) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Donegall Square NorthCity Centre

The splendid vista of the City Hall (1906) dominates the view from here, but it is by no means the only building of architectural or cultural merit to be seen. Take a circuit around the City Hall and discover some of the highlights of Donegall . . . — Map (db m134186) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Frederick Temple

To the illustrious memory of Frederick Temple 1st Marquess of Dufferin and Ava KP. 1826 - 1902 Governor-General of Canada Viceroy of India Ambassador at St Petersburg Constantinople Rome and Paris . . . — Map (db m133909) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Grand Opera HouseCity Centre

When the Grand Opera House opened its doors on 23 December 1895, it was an instant success. Crowds flocked to see a great variety of entertainment, including opera, drama, pantomime, circus, and the latest London comedy or musical.

Since . . . — Map (db m134036) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — HistorySandy Row — A little part of Belfast

[Historic photo captions read]

1. Early map of Sandy Row in 1858

2. Sandy Row busy with shoppers in days gone by

3. Sandy Row in 1907 looking towards Lisburn Road

4. Sandy Row with Gilpins in the distance

5. Looking . . . — Map (db m134124) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Howard StreetCity Centre

In the 19th century Howard Street was the site of a House Of Correction which bore the inscription “Within amend, without beware” over its front door. Today the street is dominated by the gothic architecture and corner tower of the . . . — Map (db m133823) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — IndustrySandy Row — A little part of Belfast

[Historic photo captions read]

1. Murray's Tobacco Factory opened in 1901

2. Ulster Spinning Co. staff in the 1930s

3. Bill Hewitt, drum maker of Sandy Row

4. Workers at the Albion factory in 1919

5. Belfast City . . . — Map (db m134119) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — James Joseph Magennis1919 ~ 1986

This memorial honours Belfastman & former H.M.S. Ganges Boy (1935 DJX 144907) Leading Seaman Magennis who while serving as the diver in H.M. Submarine XE111 was awarded the Victoria Cross . . . — Map (db m133977) WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — King William III - "King Billy's on the Wall"12th July 1690 — Welcome to Sandy Row

William III encourages his troops, on the morning of July 12th 1690

Let ambition fire thy mind Laat ambitie brand un'verstand

Williamite Forces Danish, English, Dutch, French Huguenots, Prussian, Scots, . . . — Map (db m134153) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Korean War Memorial

Men from many parts of the British Isles, but predominately from every community and part of Ireland, fought with the RUR in the ‘Happy Valley’ battle in defence of Seoul, capital of South Korea

The memorial above was carved by a Korean . . . — Map (db m133844) WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Living Leavesone hundred winters

This tree is one of four, planted to celebrate the lives of Belfast's citizens who were over 100 years of age, during the City Hall's centenary year.

The four trees, one at each corner of the City Hal, represent the four seasons. The names . . . — Map (db m134015) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Monument to the Unknown Woman Worker

[Comments on monument, in no particular order]

The fastest growing section of the labour force are married women in part-time employment. This work is only one part of a mother's working day. . . . — Map (db m134019) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Mother Daughter Sister
This sculpture celebrates the female culture and identity of Sandy Row and the generational contribution women have made to this community both in the family and workplace.

Que Sera Sera When I was just a little girl, . . . — Map (db m134128) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — PeopleSandy Row — A little part of Belfast

[Historic photo captions read]

1. Mr R. J. Moss, Headmaster of Mabel St. School from 1886-1921

2. Saturday night dancing at the Orange Hall in Sandy Row

3. John Brown pictured outside his popular 'Ribbon Shop'

4. A friendly . . . — Map (db m134085) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Sandy RowCity Centre

Sandy Row is one of the oldest residential streets in Belfast. It has long been an important route into the town, connecting it with the Malone Ridge — the main route from the south. As workers moved in from rural areas, seeking work in . . . — Map (db m134130) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Sir Daniel Dixon Bart [Baronet]The Right Honourable

Mayor of Belfast 1892 and 1893. Lord Mayor 1901, 1902, 1903, 1905 and 1906. Freeman of the City. M.P. for Belfast-North-. Obit 1907.

Erected by his many friends in appreciation of the numerous public services rendered by him . . . — Map (db m133963) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Thomas Carnduff1886-1956

The Shipyard Poet Resident Caretaker Linen Hall Library 1951-1954 — Map (db m134187) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Thomas Russell1767 - 1803

United Irishman 'the Man from God knows where' Librarian 1794-1796 — Map (db m134178) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Wellington PlaceCity Centre

The growth in prosperity from cotton and linen during the Napoleonic wars saw Belfast's centre of gravity shift from its ancient heartland around High Street, out towards the White Linen Hall, where the present City Hall now stands. Wellington . . . — Map (db m134188) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — World Wars Memorial

Pro Deo et Patria

Erected by The City of Belfast in memory of her heroic sons who made the supreme sacrifice in The Great War 1914 - 1918 1939 - 1945

Faithful unto death they are remembered with pride . . . — Map (db m133959) WM

Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — Julius Rosenwald
Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932) was a Jewish multimillionaire merchant and one of the founders (1906) of Sears, Roebuck, and Company, then the largest department store in the United States. Rosenwald was a member of the Tuskegee University Board of . . . — Map (db m134039) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Gurley — "Wildwood"
Home of Virginia Clay Clopton (1825-1915) Author and Social Leader who was known in Washington society as "The Belle of the Fifties" Whose first husband, Clement Claiborne Clay (1817-1882), was United States Senator from Alabama (1853-1861) and . . . — Map (db m134092) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Alaska Native Brotherhood HallHas Been Designated a National Historic Landmark

This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. The hall is the place of importance in the native community. The original chapter of Alaska Native Brotherhood built this hall in 1914 to . . . — Map (db m133827) HM

Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — In This Place
The first American flag was raised by a colorguard from Company F, 9th Infantry, to signify the transfer of Alaska from czarist Russia. The first 49 star American flag was raised on July 4, 1959, by a colorguard from the First Battle Group 9th . . . — Map (db m133863) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Sentinel of a Divided Town
The replica blockhouse before you, a symbol of Russia's role in Alaska's history, represents the walled fortifications that defined the limits of its control. These blockhouses, or watchtowers, each housing cannons, protected the Russian . . . — Map (db m133826) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — St. Michael's Cathedral
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States — Map (db m133922) HM
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Tilson Building
This large frame house was constructed as a Russian residence about 1835. Although there has been some modification the building is thought to be the finest remaining example of Russian secular architecture in Alaska. — Map (db m133829) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Early TourismHistoric Sedona
Soldiers from Camp Verde were early tourists to Sedona, enjoying the beauty, cooler temperatures and Oak Creek as a break from the camp.

As early as 1895, Lou Thomas turned Bear Howard’s cabin into a two-story hunting fishing lodge. It was . . . — Map (db m133684) HM

Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — John Wayne & His Sedona ConnectionHistoric Sedona
His first time as producer John Wayne was to also star in the film “Angel and the Badman”. He had been to Sedona to film his 1944 movie “Tall in the Saddle”. The owner of the local film outfitter and catering company invited . . . — Map (db m133680) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — OrchardsHistoric Sedona
Sedona’s earliest permanent settlers planted fruit trees as they arrived along Oak Creek. Apples and peaches seemed to grow well along with apricots and plums. Grapevines didn’t take as long to mature as fruit trees so the Schuerman’s planted grapes . . . — Map (db m133679) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Sedona — Sedona Heritage MuseumHistoric Sedona
The Sedona Heritage Museum opened in 1998. It focuses on the history of the pioneer settlers of the greater Oak Creek area and those related historic themes that contributed to the settlement and development of Sedona.

The Museum is housed in . . . — Map (db m133693) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Canyon Country — Lang Station
On this exact site (or hereabouts) 100 years ago, Clamper Charles Crocker drove a spike of pure California gold, completing the Southern Pacific Railroad link between San Francisco & Los Angeles, Queen of Counties. — Map (db m133821) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Crescenta — Crescenta Valley ParkGerman-American History
Between 1934 and 1957, most of this area in Crescenta Valley Community Regional Park, west of Dunsmore Avenue and south of Honolulu Avenue, was a private park owned by the German-American League. The private park, named Hindenburg Park in memorial . . . — Map (db m133816) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1022 — Department of Water and PowerCity of Los Angeles — General Office Building
From pueblo to metropolis, the history of the City of Los Angeles is indelibly linked with the development of community water and power supplies. This building is dedicated to that enduring relationship past, present and future. Water for life . . . — Map (db m133845) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Settler’s Grove
Established - March 1991 A Living Monument Honoring The Settler Families of Evergreen Valley and Rancho Yerba Buena — Map (db m127824) HM
Colorado (Fremont County), Cotopaxi — The Cotopaxi Jewish Agricultural Colony 1882-1884
"Set up for yourself roadmarks...the way by which you went. Return, O virgin of Israel" Jeremiah 31:21 Nearly 70 Jewish immigrants were settled in and near Cotopaxi. Facing insurmountable challenges, the ill equipped Colonists made . . . — Map (db m134127) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Home Theatre 1916-19511230 C Street NE
Designed 1916 in Moorish Revival Style Architect William S. Plager (1860-1946) Photo: circa 1926 Goode Collection Library of Congress Redesigned 1941 in Art Deco Style Architect Mihran Mesrobian . . . — Map (db m134068) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Capitol Hill — Victory Garden
Victory Gardens, also called War Gardens, were planted both at private residences and on public land during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort. The AOC donates produce harvested . . . — Map (db m134090) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Winder Building
Erected 1848 Purchased by United States Government 1852 During the Civil War this building was Headquarters of the United States Army. Major General Winfield Scott, Major General Halleck and later Lieutenant General U.S. Grant had their offices . . . — Map (db m133739) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — 2 — New Town in the CityRiver Farms to Urban Towers — Southwest Heritage Trail
All that surrounds this sign resulted from the nation's first urban renewal project. To your left is Arena Stage, a leader in the resident company theater movement. Founded as an innovative theater-in-the-round in an old downtown movie theater . . . — Map (db m133833) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — Fort RenoRock Creek Park — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
At 409 feet above sea level, this site is the highest point in Washington, D.C. It is no coincidence that in 1861, the Union army designed one the largest and most heavily armed Civil War fortifications at this location. Originally named . . . — Map (db m133962) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — 5,275 Shots & Shells in 30 HoursFort Pulaski National Monument
Acting Brigadier General Quincy Adams Gillmore led the Union artillery attack on Fort Pulaski. Because the US Army originally built the fort, he knew its strengths and weaknesses and targeted the angle in front of you. Within range of Tybee . . . — Map (db m134112) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — A Bustling VillageFort Pulaski National Monument
In front of you, reaching to the North Channel, a busy village supported Fort Pulaski. Originally built to house workers constructing the fort, the village became an extension of the post. How people used village buildings changed over time. The . . . — Map (db m134069) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — A Devastating BombardmentFort Pulaski National Monument
April 10, 1862: The Confederates refused a formal demand to surrender because enemy guns were a mile away—more than twice the effective range of heavy artillery of the day. When Union troops opened fire, their new rifled cannons fired . . . — Map (db m134110) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Changing LandscapeFort Pulaski National Monument
In the 1800s, a busy village stood where you now see a wooded area beyond the parking lot. Here at the mouth of the Savannah River, Cockspur Island was a strategic military outpost from before the Revolutionary War until after World War II. Tides . . . — Map (db m134101) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Engineering Dry LandFort Pulaski National Monument
Controlling tidal flow over the island was a critical first step in the construction of Fort Pulaski. A complex system of ditches and dikes drain water away from the fort. Designed in 1829 by young Army engineer Lieutenant Robert E. Lee, the system . . . — Map (db m134095) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Final Resting PlaceFort Pulaski National Monument
The cemetery at Fort Pulaski marks the final resting place for workers, families, and soldiers. Union and Confederate soldiers, as well as the people who built the fort and supported the troops garrisoned here, once shared this hallowed ground. . . . — Map (db m134114) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Fort at PlayFort Pulaski National Monument
The 48"' New York Volunteers garrisoned Fort Pulaski after the Confederates surrendered the fort. On special occasions, soldiers invited guests from Hilton Head to enjoy a day of festivities and games. Sack and wheelbarrow races on the parade ground . . . — Map (db m134096) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Freedom Ahead!Fort Pulaski National Monument
Union forces took back Fort Pulaski in 1862, opening a door to freedom for enslaved people in the region. Families fled to this Union outpost in Confederate territory for liberty and protection. The military recruited African American men from the . . . — Map (db m134093) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Guarding the DoorFort Pulaski National Monument
The demilune (French for "half-moon") protected the fort's entrance. During the Civil War, the demilune wall was about waist high with gun platforms on the flat top. After the Civil War, while Fort Pulaski was still a military post, Army . . . — Map (db m134094) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Key to the SouthFort Pulaski National Monument
The Union Army took control of Hilton Head Island after the Battle of Port Royal Sound in November 1861. More than 15,000 Union troops landed on the island to establish a large military base. From Hilton Head, Union forces conducted military actions . . . — Map (db m134102) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Prepared for BattleFort Pulaski National Monument
In early 1862, Confederate soldiers used earth and timbers to create a blindage. The blindage created a covered walkway to protect troops against incoming shot and shells. They also dug ditches in the parade ground to catch rolling cannon shot. . . . — Map (db m134099) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Red-hot ShotFort Pulaski National Monument
Hot shot furnaces were state of the art for defense systems of their day. Soldiers heated cannonballs in specially designed furnaces until they glowed red hot. They carefully loaded the hot shot into cannons and fired at wooden ships. Even after . . . — Map (db m134100) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Sheltering CrownFort Pulaski National Monument
This is the historic cupola that topped the Cockspur Island Lighthouse. The cupola protected the powerful Fresnel lens at the top of the lighthouse tower. In 1995, preservation staff discovered several structural cracks in the cupola and removed it . . . — Map (db m134077) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Shifting ShorelineFort Pulaski National Monument
Since 1867, the island has grown due to dredging. Cockspur Island was once much smaller than it is today. Since the end of the Civil War through the 1980s, the Savannah River was dredged to make it deep enough for ocean-going container ships. . . . — Map (db m134109) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Soldier of LibertyFort Pulaski National Monument
Casimir Pulaski became a national hero in Poland when he fought for Polish liberty against Russian and Prussian forces in 1771. A year later, Poland lost the fight and Pulaski was forced to flee his homeland. He met Benjamin Franklin in Paris in . . . — Map (db m134074) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Tybee Island — Through the Thick Brick WallFort Pulaski National Monument
With devastating accuracy, Union rifled artillery breached the southeast angle of Fort Pulaski in less than 30 hours. It took Federal troops six weeks to repair the battle damage. For the remainder of the war, Fort Pulaski was a Union outpost in the . . . — Map (db m134098) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Reinhold ChrystmanAn Evangelical Christian "Chose"
As manager of the Piotrkow Trybunalski Glass Factory, he saved over 700 Jews during the Holocaust while risking his own life. (Poland 1944) Memoir of Alina Braun Rindler, A Survivor Donated by the Jewish American Society for Historic . . . — Map (db m134143) HM
Illinois (Saint Clair County), Cahokia — John Jacob Hays (1770-1836)
John Jacob Hays was born in New York circa 1770. His family emigrated to North America from the Netherlands in 1720. The Hays family belongs to Congregation Shearith Israel, the oldest Jewish Congregation in the United States.

John Jacob Hays . . . — Map (db m133929) HM

Kansas (Saline County), Salina — August Bondi (1833-1907)Jewish-American Abolitionist, Salina Resident
“August Bondi was born July 21, 1831, in Vienna, Austria. The Bondis, Jewish European refugees, fled the Austrian Empire after the failed revolutions of 1848 and settled in St. Louis, Missouri. August Bondi moved to Pottawatomie Creek in . . . — Map (db m134060) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Historic Burlington, KYThe New County Seat
Boone County Courthouses Through the Years 1n 1817, Boone County replaced its first log courthouse with a brick structure, which was remodeled in 1828 and again in 1878. The present courthouse was built in 1889 for $19,740. The courthouse . . . — Map (db m134040) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — 2347 — Col. Richard Taylor (1744-1829)/George Rudy (1744-1806)
(obverse) Early in 1792, Revolutionary War veteran, Richard Taylor, bought 175 acres bounded by Rudy Lane. Land was given to Isaac Shelby for his father's Colonial Wars service. Here Taylor built a brick house, which he sold to George Rudy in late . . . — Map (db m133910) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — 585 — Courthouse Burned
Twenty-two Kentucky courthouses were burned during the Civil War, nineteen in the last fifteen months: twelve by Confederates, eight by guerrillas, two by Union accident. See map on reverse side. July 5, 1863 clerk's office at Lebanon was . . . — Map (db m133814) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — "Nobly Did They Die"
Confederate Casualties, Battle of Tebbs Bend - Green River Bridge Compiled by Betty Gorin-Smith Confederate forces commanded by Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan First Brigade Colonel Basil W. Duke, commanding 5th Kentucky . . . — Map (db m133955) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Camp Site25th Michigan Infantry, USA
An experienced Indian fighter in the West, Moore ordered his men to build a fort across the road on the southern approach. Rebel scouts could hear the sound of axes and falling trees on the night of July 3. "I did not move my command from where it . . . — Map (db m133898) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Civil War Camp HobsonDecember 1861 - February 1862
Camp Hobson, a Union recruiting and training camp named for Edward H. Hobson, occupied the James Allen Sublett farm across the road from where you stand. Between December 1861 and February 1862, U.S. Mustering Officer Capt. S. M. Kellogg mustered . . . — Map (db m133902) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Confederate Artillery PositionMorning, July 4, 1863
Major Edward P. Byrne Commander of the Confederate Artillery A native Kentuckian, Byrne was living in Greenville, Washington County, Mississippi, when the war broke out. His first battery of six brass field pieces, their carriages, and . . . — Map (db m133838) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Federal HospitalSublett Inn and Stagecoach Stop
Sublett Inn and Stagecoach Stop Stage lines, carrying mail and passengers, were used throughout south central Kentucky to connect to the railroads. Inns along the route were sometimes better known that the villages and towns through which . . . — Map (db m133899) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Federal Stockade1862 - 1865 — Federal Stockade Burned January 1, 1863 — Morgan's Christmas Raid
Federal Stockade Undefended—January 1, 1863 About 3,900 Confederates under John Hunt Morgan had been on an extensive raid into Kentucky in December and were returning to Tennessee after their highly successful Christmas Raid. They . . . — Map (db m133939) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Green River Bridge / Green River Bridge Skirmish SiteJanuary 1, 1863—Morgan's Christmas Raid / July 4, 1863—Morgan's Great Raid
Green River Bridge January 1, 1863—Morgan's Christmas Raid The first wooden bridge over Green River was burned by Confederate forces under Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan on Morgan's Christmas Raid. The order to burn the bridge was . . . — Map (db m133914) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Morgan's Demand for SurrenderMoore's Refusal — July 4, 1863
7:00 AM Situation: Union Colonel Moore's forward rifle-pit was in the ravine to your left. The Confederate forces were on your right preparing to attack. Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan penned a note and gave it to Lt. Col. Robert A. . . . — Map (db m133957) HM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Kinder — 1st. Lt. Douglas Bernard FournetB. May 7, 1943 | K.I.A. May 4, 1968 Vietnam
Vietnam Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. Served in the United States Army during the War in Vietnam as a First Lieutenant in Company B, 1st Battalion 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). He was awarded the CMOH for his bravery . . . — Map (db m133980) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Swamp AgeCypress-Tupelo Swamp
The Bluebonnet Swamp is believed to be about 225 years old. A small stream existed at the site before the swamp was formed. Willow trees and Buttonbrush shrubs were probably common along the stream. It is possible that the stream was transformed . . . — Map (db m133999) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Metairie — U.S.S. Golet SS-361/ Still On Patrol
A submarine built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co. of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Funds for this boat were raised by the citizens of Caddo Parish Louisiana. Launched One August, 1943. On her second patrol under command of LCDR. James S. Clark, was sunk by . . . — Map (db m133997) HM WM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Birdsall Building
This is to certify that 918-920 Poydras Street was entered into the National Registry of Historic Places as part of the Upper Central Business District Historic District under the provisions of the National Historic Preservation Act . . . — Map (db m133954) HM
Louisiana (Ouachita Parish), Monroe — Selman Field1942-1945
Dedicated - With Everlasting Gratitude- To all personnel, military and civilian, who served at Selman Field and made possible the training of over 5,000 navigators who flew in every theater of operation in World War II. In 1942 Selman . . . — Map (db m133989) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Firsts and Famous/ Hall of Fame
Opelousas First and Famous

Birthplace Of Zydeco Music Birthplace Of Swamp Pop Music First Protestant (Methodist) Church In Louisiana & Oldest Methodist Church West Of The Mississippi - 1806 First Masonic Temple West Of The . . . — Map (db m134002) HM

Louisiana (Saint Mary Parish), Garden City — Swamps on the Cusp of ChangeClimate Change Research Partnership with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Cypress-tupelo swamps along the Louisiana coast are subjected to a number of environmental stressors, ranging from hurricane impact to saltwater intrusion. Some of these impacts are created by the pressures of development, while others are . . . — Map (db m133985) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Eldersburg — History of the Freedom Community
Around 1750, the community of Eldersburg was founded by John Elder, who was given a land grant from the King of England for as much land as Elder could stake out in 24 hours. John Elder staked an 800-acre farm named Perseverance on a stagecoach . . . — Map (db m134037) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Eldersburg — In Memory of All American Veterans
This memorial honors all American veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common, undeniable goal — — to valiantly protect our country's freedoms. The memories of these American veterans will continue to live on . . . — Map (db m133992) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Eldersburg — Veterans Memorial
Flagpoles dedicated in honor of those who served our country — Map (db m133993) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — Baldwin's StationHonoring the B&O railroad's premier architect
One of many handsome structures designed by B&O architect E. Francis Baldwin, the station was built in 1884 along the Old Main Line. The building contained a ticket and telegraph office, separate waiting rooms for men and women, and a freight room. . . . — Map (db m133983) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — Hood’s Mill
Near here the Confederate cavalry of Major General J. E. B. Stuart entered Carroll County from Cooksville about daybreak June 29, 1863. After damaging the tracks and bridge of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at Sykesville, they marched to . . . — Map (db m133800) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — Millard Cooper1926 - 1980
Millard Cooper Park, Sykesville's first Town recreation facility, was founded in 1982 in memory of Millard Cooper for his unselfish devotion to the Town of Sykesville. "Coop" as he was known to his friends and co-workers, served the Town as . . . — Map (db m133987) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — Sykesville Killed in Action Memorial
Dedicated to the heroic memories of all who gave their lives for their community state and nation We herewith offer this silent and everlasting tribute to them for their supreme sacrifice, made so that we, the living, might . . . — Map (db m133986) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — The Gate HouseHistoric Portal to Springfield State Hospital
Iron gates once marked the entrance to Springfield State Hospital, about one-half mile in front of you. The hospital, which opened in 1896, was one of the largest mental health facilities on the East Coast. For decades, medical staff, hospital . . . — Map (db m133988) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — The Strawbridge Home for Boys
This stone gate was part of the original entrance to The Strawbridge Home for Boys Old Sykesville Road, MD Route 32 Sykesville, Maryland 1924-1959 The Strawbridge Home was dedicated to the protection, training and development of young . . . — Map (db m133832) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — The Town HouseRemembering a Grand Age
Sykesville architect J. Harvey Fowble built this home in 1883 for Irish immigrant John McDonald and his wife Kate. A successful businessman, McDonald owned a dry goods store on Main Street. A succession of prominent families resided here until 1968, . . . — Map (db m133984) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Laytonsville — Layton House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior circa 1793 — Map (db m133982) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — MARC Train #286
In memory of the passengers & crew of MARC Train # 286 who perished at this site on February 16, 1996, and to the heroic actions of those who aided in the rescue effort. Carlos Byrd Diana Hanvichid Claudius Kessoon Thomas Loatman . . . — Map (db m133994) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Berwyn Heights Armed Forces Memorial
Dedicated to all Berwyn Heights men and women who honorably served in the Armed Forces November 11, 1996 — Map (db m133945) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Duncanson AvenueHistoric Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland
Duncanson Avenue, currently known as Seminole Street, was named after Charles C. "Chas" or "C.C." Duncanson (circa 1846-1920). He was a lifelong resident of the District of Columbia and one of the six founders who formed the Charlton Heights . . . — Map (db m133940) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Edmonston RoadHistoric Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland
Archibald Edmonston (c. 1668-1734), born in Scotland, immigrated to Maryland in 1683, and afterward married Jane Beall. He would later become Colonel of the Prince George's County militia. In Maryland, the Edmonstons accumulated great wealth. . . . — Map (db m133938) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Keleher AvenueHistoric Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland
In 1888, Edward Graves, a real estate developer, hired Newby & Howell, Engineers and Surveyors of Washington, D.C. to survey his 393 acres, then known as the "Graves Sub-Division", for a new suburban residential development that was called Charlton . . . — Map (db m133941) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn HeightsAnacostia Trails Heritage Area
Welcome to the Town of Berwyn Heights Established in 1888 on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, this approximately 1-square mile residential community was first named Charlton Heights, and became Berwyn Heights when incorporated in 1896. . . . — Map (db m133942) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn HeightsAnacostia Trails Heritage Area
Welcome to the Town of Berwyn Heights Established in 1888 as a commuter suburb on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, this approximately 1-square mile, residential community was first named Charlton Heights and became Berwyn Heights when . . . — Map (db m133947) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Waugh AvenueHistoric Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland
James E. Waugh (1841-1895) was the driving force behind the creation of the railroad suburb that became the Town of Berwyn Heights. He began his career as a grocery merchant, worked in the Treasury Department, then took up real estate and insurance. . . . — Map (db m133944) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Woburn — Old Middlesex Canal
Old Middlesex Canal Horn Pond Locks Along what is now Arlington Road were formerly located three sets of double locks on the Old Middlesex Canal. These sets of 80 foot by 11 foot chambers effected a rise of fifty feet for the . . . — Map (db m133905) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Ashburnham — Ashburnham Civil War Monument
To the men of Ashburnham who served their country in the war that saved the Union Given by Melvin Ohio Adams to his native town A.D. 1904 — Map (db m133808) WM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Ashburnham — World War l Memorial
Ashburnham remembers 1917 World War 1918 These sought not glory but their country's good — Map (db m133806) WM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Ashburnham — World War ll/Korean/Vietnam Memorial
Ashburnham Veterans — Map (db m133807) WM
Michigan (Ingham County), East Lansing — The Livestock Judging Pavilion
On this site stood The Livestock Judging Pavilion For six decades, from 1938 to 1997, the Livestock Judging Pavilion served as a focal point for many activities within the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. At this site, . . . — Map (db m133817) HM
Michigan (Kalamazoo County), Augusta — Welcome to the W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary
What is a sanctuary? And why do birds need one? A sanctuary is a protected place for animals to feed, nest, and live. Many birds find a sanctuary in backyards and local parks. Finches flock to feeders. Cardinals in bright red feathers chirp . . . — Map (db m133846) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Roseville — St. Mark Lutheran ChurchMichigan Sesquicentennial Organization
This plaque is issued by the Historical Society of Michigan in recognition of St. Mark Lutheran Church founded in 1850 for more than 150 years of continuous operation in service to the people of Michigan and for . . . — Map (db m133958) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 1840 Van Hoosen FarmhouseRochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm
Here garden lovers linger at any time of the year. The devotee of antiques finds grazing ground. ... Admirers of large rooms, quaint nooks, story-and-a-half beamed ceilings, low French doors and windows, great fireplaces, balconies, curved . . . — Map (db m134107) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 1927 Van Hoosen Calf Barn/1927 Van Hoosen Bull BarnRochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm
The Calf Barn was built in 1927 and housed the newborn calves. Newborns were raised by farm workers. Very early one morning the 'phone rang. Morris' voice came over it: "Retta just 'dropped' a bull calf". I thrilled. Retta was one of our top . . . — Map (db m134087) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — 1927 Van Hoosen Dairy BarnRochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm
If we could produce milk with as low a bacteria count by machines as we could by hand, the Board of Health would give its consent. This was accomplished. The sale of Certified Milk was the life blood of the farm's economics, enhanced by the sale . . . — Map (db m134048) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — L174 — Stoney Creek Village
Lemuel Taylor and his family became Stoney Creek's first settlers in 1823. The next year a sawmill and a gristmill, along with a distillery and blacksmith shop were built. Next came a hotel and a woolen mill. Joshua Van Hoosen's family settled . . . — Map (db m134167) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester Hills — S651 — Stony Creek Masonic Lodge No. 5/Mount Moriah
Stony Creek Masonic Lodge No. 5 Around 1825 William A. Burt led members of the Stony Creek Masonic Lodge in petitioning the Grand Lodge of Michigan for a charter. The grand master, Governor Lewis Cass, approved the charter in June 1827. In . . . — Map (db m134155) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Redford Township — L1826 — Redford Township School District No. 9
In 1874, Redford Township School District No. 9 bought an acre of land from Eugenius and Abigail Hodge and erected this school. Named Beech School, it served the Beech Park settlement that sprang up here adjacent to the Detroit, Lansing & Lake . . . — Map (db m133877) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Site of Minnesota's First SynagogueFrom Generation to Generation Mount Zion Temple 1856-Present
1856: The First Jewish Congregation in Minnesota Mount Zion Hebrew Association was founded in 1856 by eight German Jewish families who came up the Mississippi from St. Louis. Joseph Ullman and Isidor Rose were in the fur business. Other . . . — Map (db m134145) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Belhaven University
Belhaven College for Young Ladies was founded in 1883 at the estate of Senator Jones S. Hamilton and named for his Scottish home, “Bel Haven," translated "Beautiful Home." Fire destroyed the College in 1894 and again in 1910 before it was . . . — Map (db m133851) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 28 — Bombings in Jewish Community — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front Rabbi Perry Nussbaum came to Beth Israel in 1954 and was an important voice for racial justice. Working with diverse ministers, he helped found the Committee of Concern, raising money for black churches burned by the Klan. In 1967, . . . — Map (db m133848) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Eudora Welty — The Mississippi Writers Trail
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the French Legion of Honor, Eudora Welty typically drew upon her native state for the settings of her fiction. Mississippi's hill country, its Natchez Trace and Delta, Welty's . . . — Map (db m133916) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Lampton Estate
This Georgian Revival home was designed by architect Bem Price and built by Isaac C. Garber in 1913, for Mary D. (Terrell) and Thad B. Lampton, prominent businessman and banker who served as the state treasurer under Governor Longino. The estate . . . — Map (db m133854) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Shady Nook
This building was once Belhaven's own full service gas station and general store, nicknamed by residents the "Shady Nook." It was originally built as a one-room structure ca. 1928 and then expanded in 1936 by architect A. Hays Town using . . . — Map (db m133852) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Sylvandell
Front In 1928, Jackson developer Lucius L. Mayes converted six acres of rugged terrain into a residential development of fully furnished, up-to-date homes with similar color schemes but in a variety of architectural styles. A grand . . . — Map (db m133850) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The Jackson Volcano
In the Late Cretaceous Period, shallow seas covered central Mississippi. About 75 million years ago, a volcano erupted through the seafloor creating an island surrounded by a reef. Today, these structures are located 2,900 feet beneath the city. . . . — Map (db m133847) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Redwood — French Fort St. Pierre
Built in 1719 to protect French colonists and serve as a trading place with Native Americans, Fort St. Pierre was rebuilt with a substantial palisade and moat in 1722 by Lt. Dumont de Montigny. Although designed to house more than 100 marines and . . . — Map (db m133857) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vickburg — U.S. Battery K,2D Illinois Light Artillery; — 4th Div.; 16th Corps; Army of the Tennessee.
Capt. Benjamin F. Rodgers. A detachment of the battery served one 8-inch Columbiad in this position from about June 21 to the end of the siege, July 4, 1863.Map (db m133859) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — C.S. Company C,Pointe Coupee Artillery; — Stevenson's Division; Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. Alexander Chust. The company was engaged in the Battle of Champion's Hill, May 16, attached to Loring’s Division. At the close of that battle it fell back with the army to Vicksburg and served two 6-pounder guns and two 12-pounder . . . — Map (db m133892) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — C.S. Company I,1st Mississippi Light Artillery; — Maury's-Forney's Div.; Army of Vicksburg.
Lieut. Edward L. Bower. One section of the company. under Lieut. E.L. Bower. served two 12-pounder howitzers in this position from May 18 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — Map (db m133920) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — All Saints Episcopal School
Established as All Saints' Episcopal College, this girls' boarding school was chartered in 1907. William Mercer Green Hall, built In 1908, was named for Mississippi's first Episcopal bishop. The Dioceses of Louisiana and Arkansas became Joint owners . . . — Map (db m133913) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Evander McNair
Brig. General C. S. Army Commanding Brigade French's Division Johnston's Army ______ Col. 4th Ark. Inf. Dec. 20, 1861 Brig. Gen. C.S. Army Nov. 27, 1862Map (db m133970) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Lest We Forget
These headstones represent soldiers from Louisiana and Mississippi who died at the hospitals located at Mississippi Springs and Coopers Wells. These soldiers from the Army of Mississippi died from disease contracted through the rigors of military . . . — Map (db m133893) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Samuel B. Maxey
Brig·General C·S· Army Commanding Brigade French's Division Johnston's Army ______ Cadet U.S. Military Academy 1842 Bvt 2nd Lt 7th Inf. Jul 1 1846 2nd Lt 8th Inf Feb 23 1847 Bvt 1st Lieutenant Aug 20 1847 Resigned Sept . . . — Map (db m133976) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Samuel G. French
Major General C.S. Army Commanding Brigade Johnston's Army ______ Cadet U.S. Military Academy 1839 2nd Lt. 3rd Art. June 18 1846 1st Lieutenant March 3 1847 Captain January 12 1848 Resigned May 31 1856 Brigadier General . . . — Map (db m133974) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — South Carolina Monument
To the everlasting memory of those South Carolinians who offered their lives upon the fields of Vicksburg for the Southern Confederacy. This monument is dedicated by the South Carolina Division United Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m133948) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — States Rights Gist
Brig. General C. S. Army Commanding Brigade Walker's Division Johnston's Army Brig. Gen. C.S. Army Mar 20, 1862 Killed in Battle Nov. 30, 1864Map (db m133950) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Baldwin's Brigade;Smith's Division; Army of Vicksburg.
Brig. Gen. William E. Baldwin;
Col. Allen Thomas;
Col. Robert Richardson;
Brig. Gen. William E. Baldwin.
______ 17th Louisiana, Col. Robert Richardson; Lieut. Col. Madison Rogers; Maj. W. A. Redditt; . . . — Map (db m134026) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Company A,14th Mississippi Battalion Light Art. Battalion; — Smith's Division; Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. C.B. Vance. The company served two 6-pounder guns and two 12-pounder howitzers in this position from the morning of May 19 to about May 26, 1863, when the pieces were moved to other positions. Reported casualties in battalion during . . . — Map (db m134001) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Company B,14th Mississippi Light Art. Battalion; — Smith's Division; Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. J. H. Yates. The first section of the company, under Lieut. R. B. Jones, served two 12-pounder guns in this position from the morning of May 19 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — Map (db m134011) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Company D,1st Mississippi Light Artillery; — Maury's-Forney's Div.: Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. J.L. Wofford. A detachment of the company, under Sergt. H. F. Sproles, served one 6-pounder gun in this position from May 19 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. — Map (db m134018) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Company D,1st Mississippi Light Artillery; — Maury's-Forney's Div.: Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. J.L. Wofford. A detachment of the company served one 12-pounder howitzer and one 3-inch rifle in this position from May 19. The 3-inch rifle was disabled within a few days. The howitzer was served to the end of the defense, July 4, . . . — Map (db m134022) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Company D,1st Mississippi Light Artillery; — Maury's-Forney's Div.: Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. J.L. Wofford. The company was attached to Featherston’s brigade of Loring’s division in the battle of Champion's Hill, May 16, and was not closely engaged. At the close of that battle it fell back with the army to Vicksburg. A . . . — Map (db m134024) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Company D,1st Mississippi Light Artillery; — Maury's-Forney's Div.: Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. J.L. Wofford. A detachment of the company under Lieut. A.J. Arnold, served one 24-pounder howitzer and one 3-inch rifle in this position from May 19 to the end of the defense, July 4,1863-except that the howitzer was moved to a pit at . . . — Map (db m134025) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Cuibor's (Missouri) Battery;Forney's-Bowen's Div.; Army Of Vicksburg.
Capt. Henry Cuibor: Lieut. William Corkery; Lieut. Cornelius Heffernan. The battery was engaged: at Grand Gulf, the evening of March 31, against Admiral Farragut’s vessels. Casualties, killed 2, wounded 2, total 4, Capt. Henry Cuibor . . . — Map (db m134029) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C.S. Lynch's Company.Tennessee Heavy Artillery; — River Batteries: Army of Vicksburg.
Capt. J.P. Lynch. A detachment of the company served one 32-pounder smoothbore gun in this position from about May 24 to the end of the defense, July 4, 1863. One 30-pounder Parrott rifle was served in this position by a detachment from a . . . — Map (db m134013) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — U.S. 17th Battery.Ohio Light Artillery; — 10th Div.: 13th Corps: Army of the Tennessee.
Capt. Ambrose A. Blount: Capt. Charles S. Rice. The 1st section, under Lieut. George A. Ege, served two 10-pounder Parrott Rifles in this position from about June 7 to the end of the siege, July 4, 1863. From May 19 to about . . . — Map (db m133923) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — U.S. Thayer's Approach.
End of Thayer's Approach to Confederate work in front. Carried to this point about July 3, and a gallery for a mine begun but not finished. Work in charge of Capt. Herman Klosterman. — Map (db m134042) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — C S Missouri Third Battery
Capt. Wm. E. Dawson Killed 3, Wounded 5, Missing 4, Total 12 Lieut. James Olds killed — Map (db m134065) HM WM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Iowa 26th Infantry
3D Brig. 1st Div. 15th Corps Assault May 22 1863 Casualties Killed 4 Wounded 23 Total 27 — Map (db m134044) HM

343 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 143
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.