Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

517 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 317
 
One of many informational plaques that make up the Barbados Independence Monument image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, May 27, 2019
One of many informational plaques that make up the Barbados Independence Monument
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Barbados Independence Monument
Monument abstract This monument, a pathway of Independence, chronicles the foundation years of Barbados’ nationhood. Here, in this space renowned for recreation, learning and historical experience, we collectively celebrate 50 years of . . . — Map (db m135176) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Commissariat for the British Commission
This building was constructed circa 1795 as Commissariat for the British Commission. Converted to the Garrison Theatre in 1893. Acquired by the Barbados Electric Supply Corporation in 1908. Renovated during 1986 75th year of operations. . . . — Map (db m135153) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Commonwealth War Graves
Commonwealth War Graves The Commonwealth War Graves Commission was established by Royal Charter of 21 May 1917 The Commisioner’s work was guided by fundamental principals which were established in 1920. That each of the dead should be . . . — Map (db m135051) WM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Errol Walton Barrow
The Barbados Cruising Club Salutes the Right Excellent Errol Walton Barrow On this Errol Barrow Day, January 21, 2018, the Barbados Cruising Club dedicates this memorial at our Aquatic Gap, Pebbles Beach home, to our first Treasurer and . . . — Map (db m135034) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — HastingsHistoric Bridgetown & Its Garrison
Hastings Barbados You Are Entering A UNESCO World Heritage Property Historic Bridgetown and its Garrison exhibits an important interchange of human values in the diversity of African, European and other ethnicities, and the confluence of . . . — Map (db m135028) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Memorial to Barbadian Merchant Seamen of World War II
1939-1945 To the enduring memory of those Barbadian Merchant Seamen who gave their lives in the Second World War Alle, E SS Inanda ∙ Anderson, FW SS Traveller ∙ Ashby, V SS Africa ∙ Atkins, G SS Traveller ∙ Bancroft, D SS . . . — Map (db m135152) WM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Monument to Those Lost in the 1831 Hurricane
Near This Spot Rest the Remains of Fourteen Soldiers And one Married Woman of the 36th Regiment who were killed by the destruction of the Barracks and Hospital during The awful visitation of the hurricane. August 11th, 1831. This Monument is . . . — Map (db m135031) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Royal Artillery BarracksBarbados Garrison
Royal Artillery Barracks Built in 1812 Known today as Stafford House. The second storey arches were added after much of that floor was damaged during the 1831 hurricane. Originally used by the Artillery, this building was also later used to . . . — Map (db m135030) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Saint Matthias Anglican Church
Saint Matthias Anglican Church Barbados National Trust Building of Historical and Architectural Interest — Map (db m135177) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Sir Grantley Herbert Adams
Sir Grantley Herbert Adams Q.C., C.M.G. 1898-1971 Leader of the Government and Premier of Barbados 1946-1958 Primer Minister of the West Indies 1958-1962 “He was ready at the time when the people needed a leader who would be both the . . . — Map (db m135032) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — The Barbados Military Cemetery
The Barbados Military Cemetery This site is dedicated to the men and families of the British Forces who died serving in Barbados 1780 to 1906 Thanks to Barbados good military defences no enemy has ever landed on its shores Today this . . . — Map (db m135035) HM WM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — The Main GuardBarbados Garrison
The Main Guard Built in 1804 Still known today as The Main Guard At the central point of the Garrison, this building was also used for courts martial, with prisoners held in the guard house at rear. Sold into private hands in 1906, it became . . . — Map (db m135029) HM
Dominica, Saint David, Salybia — Death of Sadwill Bruney
In memory of Sadwill Bruney who was shot in cold blood in this spot by Cpl. Edward Thomas on 1st June 1994. Let us not forget — Map (db m135265) HM
Dominica, Saint David, Sineku — Carib History
Carib war, September 19th 1930. Two Caribs died. Dudley John and Royer Frederick, two injured Tilson Bruney and Ferdinand Sanford. Sauteus of Grenada Kioumoue titanyem oubecouyum Santiquet ala eyeti Our father who art in heaven Hallowed be thy . . . — Map (db m135260) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Anglican ChurchExplore Roseau
Anglican Church 1820 A permanent Anglican church was constructed on current site. British government funded the construction of the church for £6,500. It was built in the style of the Regency period which consists of a square, solid stone . . . — Map (db m135310) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — David the Goliath
David the Goliath The African Baobab Tree (Adansonia digitata) was blown down on the bus during Hurricane David on August 29th 1979. Fortunately the bus was empty at the time. The main stem is now more than 21 ft (6.4 m) in circumference and . . . — Map (db m135318) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Methodist ChurchExplore Roseau
Methodist Church 1787 First Methodist missionary, Dr. Thomas Coke arrived. It was originally a dwelling house. 1800 The lot where the church is now was initially leased to Catholics who later converted to Wesleyan Methodism. Construction . . . — Map (db m135311) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Morne Bruce GarrisonThe Defence of Roseau
Morne Bruce Garrison The Defence of Roseau Dominica was ceded to Britain by the Treaty of Paris in 1763. To keep the island under her rule, Britain had to defend it from the French. Some small forts were started in 1765. Military engineers . . . — Map (db m135344) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Morne Bruce GarrisonNorth Point Battery
Morne Bruce Garrison North Point Battery Cannon and Signaling Station To get messages up and down the coast, Captain James Bruce organised a line of signal stations. The signals were a combination of gun salutes and flag signals. Each . . . — Map (db m135345) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — PottersvilleExplore Roseau
Pottersville Was once known as Ballahoo Town and then Lod bor – creole for “the other side”. Was mainly occupied by fishermen, domestics and port workers who worked in Roseau. Pottersville was named after . . . — Map (db m135316) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — PottersvilleBy the Pottersville Savannah — Explore Roseau —
Pottersville By the Pottersville Savannah View of Woodbridge Bay in 1960 prior to the construction of the Deep Water Harbour. Walking distances to various historic sites and landmarks Map, key and emergency information . . . — Map (db m135343) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Roseau BayfrontRoseau Cruise Ship Berth — Explore Roseau —
Roseau Cruise Ship Berth Left: The origins of our main streets are based on footpaths leading to and from the market and landing place at the old harbour. Where you now stand is the site of the old harbour. Below: View of Roseau . . . — Map (db m135309) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Roseau BayfrontFerry Terminal — Explore Roseau —
Roseau Bayfront Ferry Terminal Roseau Bayfront 1900, at the time it was known as Bay Street. For many years the town was fronted by a wide beach but after a series of hurricanes, sea defence walls were built along the waterfront. . . . — Map (db m135342) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Roseau CathedralExplore Roseau
Roseau Cathedral 1730 First started as a 16 x 40 ft solid timber church. This was fashioned after the Kalinago Kabays, consisting of strong posts and woven palm leaves. It was constructed by French lumbermen and peasant farmers. The original . . . — Map (db m135314) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Woodbridge BayExplore Roseau
Woodbridge Bay 1777 Woodbridge Bay is named after William Woodbridge, who from 1777, was the owner of Goodwill Estate. 1925 Prior to the construction of the Deep Water Harbour, it was a popular bathing spot lined with private beach huts and a . . . — Map (db m135259) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Kitzingen — The Bombing of Kitzingen
Am 23. Februar 1945 starben über 700 Menschen in den Trümmern der von Sprengbomben schwer getroffenen Stadt Kitzingen. Kaum ein Gebäude blieb unbeschadigt an die 800 Wohnhauser mit 2000 Wohnungen wurden zerstört. Es waren die . . . — Map (db m135433) HM WM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Albert von Koelliker
Hier wohnte Albert von Koelliker *6.7.1817 in Zürich   †2.11.1905 in Würzburg

1849-1902 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Experimentalphysiologie und vergleichende . . . — Map (db m135158) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Entdeckungsort der Röntgenstrahlen / Site of the Discovery of X-Rays
Physikalisches Institut der Universität Würzburg (1879-1978)

In diesem Gebäude, dem ehemaligen Physikalischen Institut der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, entdeckte Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen am 8. November 1895 die nach . . . — Map (db m135012) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — Kohlrausch, Roentgen, and Wien
Hier wohnten und forschten

Friedrich Kohlrausch

* 14.10.1840 in Rinteln   †17.1.1910 in Marburg

1875-1888 Professor an der Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg

Lehrstuhl für Physik

Verfasste 1870 . . . — Map (db m135025) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — 4 — Tugendbrunnen / The Virtue FountainFrankfurter Brunnen
Klassizistischer Pumpen-brunnen - 1832 an der ehemaligen Hl.-Geist- Kapelle aufgestellt als Ersatz eines Rokokobrunnens von 1768, dessen allegorische "Tugendstatue” über- nommen wurde.

-

(English . . . — Map (db m135403) HM

Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia (Köln), Cologne — Edith Stein
1891 in Breslau am 12.10.1891 geboren als 11. Kind der jüdischen Familie Stein als Gymnasiastin und Studentin Verlust des Glaubens

1911 - 1916 Studium der Philosophie, Psychologie, Germanistik und Geschichte . . . — Map (db m134952) HM WM

Grenada, Saint Andrew, St. Cyr — Welcome to the Grand Etang Forest Reserve
Welcome to the Grand Etang Forest Reserve The Grand Etang Forest Reserve was established in 1906 and covers an area of 3,816 acres (1,600 hectares). Within the reserve lies the source of the largest river on the island, the Great River which . . . — Map (db m135233) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Antilles Hotel
Antilles Hotel This structure, one of Grenada’s oldest, is in part one of the former French military barracks constructed in 1704. From 1767 to 1880 the British used portions for a prison. Shortly after, the upper floors became the island’s . . . — Map (db m135201) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Assassination of Maurice Bishop
In everlasting memory of Prime Minister Maurice Bishop Fitzroy Bain ∙ Norris Bain ∙ Evelyn Bullen ∙ Jacqueline Creft ∙ Keith Hayling ∙ Evelyn Maitland ∙ Unison Whiteman Andy Sebastian Alexander ∙ . . . — Map (db m135186) HM WM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Backwards Facing Forts
Backwards Facing Forts The gun ports on this unique fort face inland, rather than to seaward from where an attack on the island would have been expected. This is because of the lesson learned by the British in 1779 when the French took the . . . — Map (db m135230) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Destruction of the Bianca C
. . . — Map (db m135181) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Fort FrederickGrenada Historic Forts
Fort Frederick Welcome to Fort Frederick – one of the few forts in the world which has never fired a shot in anger. It was built by the French, who had wrested the island from the British in 1779. The French realized that had such . . . — Map (db m135228) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Grenada National Museum
Grenada National Museum While the museum’s structure is, indeed, an historic artifact, the museum’s collection offers a variety of objects emphasizing the island’s past. Relics from native Indian populations provide a glimpse into early . . . — Map (db m135193) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Grenada Seamen and Waterfront Workers’ Union
This corner stone was laid by the President of the Grenada Seamen and Waterfront Workers’ Union Bro. Arthur Ramsay on the occasion of the 25th Anniversary of the Union on the 1st. May 1977. — Map (db m135182) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Historic Sedan Chair Portico
Historic Sedan Chair Portico This portico is the actual front entrance of this building for sedan chairs. In the 19th century, during early British colonial rule in Grenada, the sedan chair was a major mode of transportation used by the free . . . — Map (db m135206) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — In the Bowels of the Fort
In the Bowels of the Fort This fort has a maze of underground tunnels and passageways, plus an extensive waterworks system. Look at the size of the stones. These tunnels offered an easy means of underground communication, allowing soldiers . . . — Map (db m135229) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Marryshow House
Marryshow House This structure was once the home of T. Albert Marryshow, better known as The “Father of the Federation.” This West Indian statesman promoted the formation of one nation from all of the West Indies. Aside from its . . . — Map (db m135227) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Memorial to the Fallen in Grenada
Memorial to the Fallen in Grenada This plaque expresses the gratitude of the Grenadian people to the forces from the United States of America and the Caribbean, especially those who sacrificed their lives in liberating Grenada on 25 . . . — Map (db m134953) WM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Port Louis (1650)
Port Louis (1650) Grenada’s First Town On June 20th 1650 the French colonist led by Du Parquet, Governor of Martinique landed in this area and set up the first town which was called Port Louis. Project by: Kids Learning Center Sponsored by: . . . — Map (db m135180) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Roman Catholic Cathedral
Roman Catholic Cathedral Located on Upper Church Street, this church reflects several dates of construction. The tower, constructed in 1818, is the oldest part of the building. The remaining portion was built in 1884 on the site of an 1804 . . . — Map (db m135225) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Sedan Porches
Sedan Porches These porches were popular in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries when sedan chairs were a form of transportation. The porches, open on two sides, would shelter passengers from bad weather when they were embarking or . . . — Map (db m135205) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — St. Andrew's Presbyterian Kirk
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Kirk Popularly known as the Scots’ Kirk, this structure sits at the end of the Church Street. It was constructed in 1831 with assistance from the Freemasons. Two features for which the church is well known are its . . . — Map (db m135203) HM
Grenada, Saint Patrick, Tivoli — Mona Monkey
Mona Monkey (Cercopithecus mona) They were introduced to Grenada as pets, from West Africa during the slave trade in the late 1600s. They are primarily found in rainforests, like Grand Etang, towards the midde and top of the trees. They . . . — Map (db m135232) HM
Italy, Campania (Napoli), Capri — Palazzo Vanalesti / Vanalesti’s Palace
Palazzo costruito dalla Famiglia Vanalesti nella, seconda meta' del 700 Fu sede di un Seminario vescovile e di una scuola pubblica. -

The palace was built by the Vanalestis. In the second half of the 18th . . . — Map (db m135247) HM

Italy, Sicilia (Messina), Taormina — Church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria / Chiesa di Santa Caterina D'Allesandria
Sec. XVII - stile barocco - costruita sull' odeon romano - la statua della santa e' datata 1493 - altrua statua sulla la facciata notevole la cripta

-

XVIIth Century - Baroque - built on the site of the Roman Odeon - the . . . — Map (db m135281) HM

Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Teatro de la República
Teatro de la República 1867. En este histórico edificio, se reunio el Consejo de Guerra que juzgo a Maximiliano y sus principales generales. 1917. El dia 31 de enero, se firmo la Constitucion General de la Republica que . . . — Map (db m135270) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bacalar
Bacalar Las maravillas y recursos naturales de Bacalar lo hacen uno de los lugares más bellos del estado de Quintana Roo. De nombre maya Bakjalal, que significa "rodeado de carrizos", esta zona se ubica en la ribera de la laguna que . . . — Map (db m135411) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — BacalarPueblo Mágico
Bacalar Pueblo Mágico Las maravillas y recursos naturales de Bacalar lo hacen uno de los lugares más bellos del estado de Quintana Roo. De nombre maya Bakjalal, que significa "rodeado de carrizos", esta zona se ubica en la ribera de . . . — Map (db m135413) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bel Itzá, or Path of the ItzaesAvenida Adolfo López Mateos
Avenida Adolfo López Mateos Bel Itzá o Camino de los Itzáes Bacalar era una ciudad de paso obligado para llegar a Izamal, centro religioso prehispánico maya donde se veneraba a K’inich K'aak’ mo (el guacamayo de fuego con rostro . . . — Map (db m135415) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Anne Frank MemorialMari Andriessen (1897-1979)
'Ik weet wat ik wil, ik heb een doel, een mening, ik heb een religie en liefde. Laat mij mezelf zijn en dan ben ik tevreden.' - Anne Frank

Dit monument dient ter nagdachtenis aan Anne Frank die op 15 jarige leeftijd tijdens de . . . — Map (db m134951) HM WM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Peter de Grote / Peter the Great
Hier werkte Tsaar Peter de Grote 30 Augustus 1697   15 Januari 1698

-

(English translation:)

Czar Peter the Great worked here, August 30, 1697 - January 15, 1698 — Map (db m135207) HM

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint George, Kingston — Kingston Methodist Church
Welcome to the Kingstown Methodist Church Methodism officially came to St. Vincent on the 9th of January, 1787, when British missionaries Rev. Thomas Coke, Rev. John Coke, William Warrener and William Hammet landed at the Kingstown Harbour. In . . . — Map (db m135179) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Globe Theatre
Here stood the Globe Playhouse of Shakespeare, 1598 - 1613.

Commemorated by the Shakespeare Reading Society of London and by subscribers in the United Kingdom and India. — Map (db m135421) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Albert ClockCathedral Quarter — 1869 —

The Albert Memorial Clock is one of Belfast's best loved landmarks and is affectionately known as the city's very own 'leaning tower'. Standing 35 metres high and constructed mainly of sandstone, it was built on wooden piles on reclaimed, . . . — Map (db m135178) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Anthony Trollope1815 - 1882

Novelist

worked here as Post Office Surveyor — Map (db m135235) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Big Bill Campbell and Alastair Von (Ziff)

In proud memory of a true soldier BIG BILL CAMPBELL Died 8th January 1997 Lest We Forget No.5 Platoon ——————————— No. 1 Platoon 'A' Company L.P.W.W. Scotland . . . — Map (db m135141) WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Calder Fountain

[Side A]

Erected by Public Subscription As a memorial to the labours of Francis Anderson Calder, Commander, R.N.

In the cause of humanity And to whom is mainly to be attributed the erection, between the years . . . — Map (db m135202) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Crown BarCity Centre — 1826 —

The Crown Bar is a gem in Belfast's architectural crown! This priceless time capsule is a rare and remarkably intact survivor of the 19th century gin palaces. Moreover, it is a living, breathing pub, described by John Betjeman as a "many . . . — Map (db m135124) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Custom HouseCathedral Quarter — 1857 —

The Custom House is an imposing two storey Victorian building designed by the architect Charles Lanyon and built in the Italian style. The existence of such a building was made possible and necessary as Belfast became one of the greatest . . . — Map (db m135257) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Custom House SquareCathedral Quarter

This part of Cathedral Quarter is an area of great historical importance. It was the birthplace of Belfast, where the River Farset joined the River Lagan. In the past, ships tied up at quays here, but today Custom House Square provides an area . . . — Map (db m135188) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Donegall QuayCathedral Quarter

You are at the Lagan Lookout and the Lagan Weir. There are fascinating places to visit in all directions from here. Head past Bigfish towards Corporation Square in the heart of Belfast's Sailortown district. There are two particularly . . . — Map (db m135252) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Great Victoria StreetCity Centre

Two of Belfast's best loved buildings are on Great Victoria Street - the Grand Opera House (1895) and the Crown Bar (1885). Nearby, at the junction with Fisherwick Place, stands the Scottish Baronial style Presbyterian Assembly Building (1905). . . . — Map (db m135126) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — High StreetCity Centre

High Street and its environs contain a rich architectural heritage. Budding sleuths will appreciate the St. George's Building (1881), one-time home of the Ulster Overcoat Company, makers of Sherlock Holmes' famous overcoat. By way of . . . — Map (db m135142) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — James Holmes1753-1832

First US Consul in Belfast at Chichester Quay opposite here 1796 — Map (db m135184) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Leading Seaman James Magennis, VC1919-1986

Submariner Born in Belfast ——————————— Acting Leading Seaman James Joseph Magennis VC, Royal Navy Was born in Belfast

Awarded the VC for his action on 31 July . . . — Map (db m135308) HM WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — St. George's ChurchCity Centre — 1816 —

The site of St. George's Church marks the very beginning of Belfast. It is the place where settlement began and which gave the city its name. There are records of a chapel at Beal Feirste (Irish for 'the sandy ford at the mouth of the Farset') . . . — Map (db m135145) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The QuaysLaganside Corporation 1989-2007

Welcome to the Quays at the mouth of the River Lagan. Set around the Lagan Weir the Quays incorporate Queen's Quay, Hanover Quay, Gregg's Quay and Donegall Quay, all closely linked with the origins of Belfast. The city derives its name from the . . . — Map (db m135226) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — 1908 Harland and Wolff Shipyard

This plan shows the extent of Harland and Wolff's shipyard on Queen's Island in 1908. The Queen's Island shipyards were highly successful at this time; 247 ships were built on the island between 1900 and 1913, more than any other shipyard in . . . — Map (db m135267) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Bigger Ships and Bigger Docks

Hamilton Graving Dock was continuously in use with ships being repaired, serviced or fitted out. It was leased by the Harbour Commissioners to Belfast's two main shipyards, Harland and Wolff and Workman Clark, as well as to ship . . . — Map (db m135388) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Building the Dock 1864-1867 / Belfast's Industrial Growth

[Front]

Building the Dock 1864-1867

The construction of the dock began in February 1864 and was finished within three years. Four hundred and fifty men were employed to build the graving dock and the adjoining . . . — Map (db m135286) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Building the Dock 1864-1867 / Hamilton Dock

[Front]

Building the Dock 1864-1867

The construction of Hamilton Dock began in February 1864 and was finished within three years.

[Top blue inset caption reads] This is the office of the Deputy Harbour Master, whose . . . — Map (db m135341) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Caisson

Constructed in 1867, the caisson is one of the oldest surviving vessels built by Harland and Wolff.

The caisson is a hollow gate which closed off the entrance to the dock. Shaped like a ship's hull, it is made of wrought iron and hollow . . . — Map (db m135264) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Features of the Dock

Select, turn, listen...

Find out more about how Hamilton Graving Dock worked. Select a channel and turn the handle a few times to play each audio track. 1 Keel blocks 2 Caisson 3 Diver

Time spent by ships in the . . . — Map (db m135275) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — First Port: Views of Belfast

[Excerpts with historical information]

Belfast Harbour Commissioners' Offices The magnificent office building of the Harbour Commissioners, who were responsible for the construction of Hamilton Dock in the 1860s, was first opened in . . . — Map (db m135369) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock By Numbers

Hamilton Graving Dock opened in 1867. It was almost twice the size of No. 2 Graving Dock which had been completed in 1826.

3 million gals The dock holds approximately 3 million gallons of water, the same volume as five and half . . . — Map (db m135405) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock Stone Construction

To ensure good quality work, the commissioners hired a mason specialising in dock construction, who was paid £2 5s 0d per week.

This was over four times the amount a worker in a country mill earned. . . . — Map (db m135284) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock Stone Construction

Only the very best quality stone was used for dock construction.

The Belfast Harbor Commissioners visited the site regularly to inspect progress. . . . — Map (db m135285) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock: Refurbishment and Restoration

Hamilton Dock was refurbished in 1948, when a new 25-inch (64cm) concrete floor was laid. It remained in use until the 1990s, but then fell into decline.

In 2009, work began to restore the dock, now a NIEA Scheduled Monument and the . . . — Map (db m135402) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Keel Blocks

These blocks originally sat at the bottom of Hamilton Dock. They were used to support ships' hulls.

You can see similar blocks under Nomadic's keel. — Map (db m135404) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Nomadic in Hamilton Dock

Turn and listen... Find out about the dockside scene. Just a few turns of the handle will play the track.

Hamilton Dock It's 1911 - Nomadic is being floated out of Hamilton Dock following her fit our.

1 Titanic in . . . — Map (db m135272) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — On Board SS Nomadic

Built on Queen's Island as a tender ship for the White Star Line, SS Nomadic is most famous for the part she played in the Titanic story.

Based in Cherbourg, France, Nomadic transferred passengers from the quayside to enormous passenger . . . — Map (db m135268) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Operating the [Hamilton] Dock

'Our harbour now stands among the finest in the United Kingdom.' Belfast News Letter, 2 October 1867

Hamilton Dock was filled at high tide and emptied at low tide. [Photo caption reads] Above This . . . — Map (db m135269) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Queen's Island Shipyard / Belfast's Industrial Growth

[Front]

Queen's Island From Pleasure Garden to Shipyard

Edward Harland and Gustav Wolff's shipyard, which would go on to become the most successful in the world, was established in 1861.

[Blue inset caption reads] . . . — Map (db m135321) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Queen's Island Shipyard / Hamilton Dock

[Front]

Queen's Island From Pleasure Garden to Shipyard

Queen's Island was created in 1847 when slobs from the digging of Victoria Channel were deposited on the Co. Down side of the Lagan Estuary.

Queen's Island was . . . — Map (db m135338) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — RMS Titanic Keel Laying Centenary

This plaque was unveiled on 31st March 2009 by John M Andrews, great nephew of Thomas Andrews, Chief Naval Architect, Harland & Wolff to commemorate the centenary of the keel laying of RMS Titanic

Built on this slipway . . . — Map (db m134932) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Shipbuilding & Mapmaking [Part 1]

'Belfaste is a place meet for a corporate town, armed with all commodities, as a principal haven, wood and good ground, standing also upon a border, and a place of great importance for service ...' Extract from a letter to the Privy . . . — Map (db m134933) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Shipbuilding & Mapmaking [Part 2]

1922 The Shipyards Expand Eastwards

The First World War had been a period of frantic activity in the shipyards of Belfast, with orders for both new warships and running repairs to the fleet. In 1917, both Harland & Wolff and Workman . . . — Map (db m135114) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — The Bridge DeckNomadic

The deck to the front, or fore, of a ship is called the forecastle deck. The term - pronounced 'fok-sel' - is an ancient one that originally referred to defences that were found on a warship.

Only the crew were allowed on the . . . — Map (db m135386) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — The Dockside: A Hive of Activity

The dock was a hive of activity with up to two ships being worked on by large teams of men from the shipyards. The workers stood on wooden platforms called stages.

Brand new ships were also 'fitted-out' in the dock, with their final . . . — Map (db m135397) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — The Poop DeckNomadic

From the quayside, third-class passengers boarded Nomadic through gates on either side of the poop deck, separated from the first and second-class passengers. Then they descended the stairway to enter the third-class deck.

The hatch . . . — Map (db m135346) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Titanic and Olympic Slipways

KEY (1) (2) The illuminated blue lines demonstrate the actual size and location of the Titanic (1) and Olympic (2) ships constructed on these two Slipways.

(3) The turfed and decked areas denote the proportions of people that . . . — Map (db m135002) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Titanic SlipwayTitanic Quarter — Launched 31st May 1911 • Sank 15th April 1912 —

[Front]

On 31 May 1911, SS 401, Titanic, slid down Slipway No. 3 at the Queen's Yard of Harland and Wolff and settled on the waters of the Victoria Channel in Belfast Lough. In her brief life she would be the largest, most luxurious . . . — Map (db m135088) HM

Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Frisco No. 4018
"No. 4018 made it's last run from Bessemer, Alabama to Birmingham, Alabama on February 29, 1952 and was given by the railway to the City of Birmingham on May 29, 1952." — Map (db m134921) HM
Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — FAI-030 — Immaculate Conception Church
By August, 1904, when a Catholic priest arrived in Fairbanks, all choice lots in the center of town were taken. Father Francis Monroe, a Jesuit missionary, selected land at the edge of town, bordering the Chena River. The first Roman Catholic Church . . . — Map (db m135350) HM
British Columbia (Peace River), Dawson Creek — Alaska Highway / La Route De L’AlaskaCompleted in 1942 / Terminé en 1942 — International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark / Monument Historique International du Génie Civil —
Constructed in just 8 months in 1942, this 2,450 kilometre highway provided an essential transportation link to the northwest of North America during the Second World War, and has since remained a major . . . — Map (db m135256) HM
California (Butte County), Forbestown — Black Bart, the PO8
attacked La Port (sic) – Oroville stage here, July 13, 1888. Frank N. Morse, driver, was repulsed by George Hackett, armed messenger for Wells Fargo Express. Twenty eight stage hold-ups in California 1875-1883 are credited to Black Bart, lone . . . — Map (db m134505) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — First Roads and Highway 58
In the early days of the Tehachapi Valley traveling was arduous as there were only trails and wagon tracks, a few toll roads and the stage routes. The road to Bakersfield from Tehachapi followed the current Woodford – Tehachapi Road, curving . . . — Map (db m135039) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Importance of Water and Creation of Brite Lake
In 1947 the Tehachapi Soil Conservation District was organized to advise the farm industry. It was apparent by the early 1960s that if agriculture were to continue as economic force in the District, additional water had to be found. In the early . . . — Map (db m135047) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Real Estate Development Since The 1960sGolden Hills, Bear Valley Springs,Stallion Springs, Alpine Forest Park,Mountain Meadows,Sand Canyon
Golden Hills – In early 1960s, the purchase of four ranches in the Old Town area by the Murchison Brothers of Dallas, Texas, became the major development in the Tehachapi area with 5500 acres, first known as Oak Knolls. Boise Cascade . . . — Map (db m135041) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Tehachapi’s Founding Fathers And Incorporation in 1909
An 1897 Bakersfield newspaper reported 642 inhabitants in Tehachapi and that the town was prosperous. Among the 50 or more businesses listed were 2 general stores, 3 blacksmiths, a grocery and a butcher shop, 2 barber shops, livery stables and feed . . . — Map (db m135048) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — What a Shock! The 1952 Earthquake
At 4:52 a.m. on July 21, 1952 Tehachapi residents were awaken by an earthquake lasting 45 seconds and registering 7.7 on the Richter Scale (lowered in recent years to 7.5). The quake claimed 11 lives, injured others and left 70% of the buildings in . . . — Map (db m135037) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Wind Energy Industry
During the first US energy crises in the 1970s the need for a sustainable and renewable energy was evident and President Jimmy Carter created the first renewable energy program in the country. In the early 1980s the first commercial electricity from . . . — Map (db m135045) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Historic Coast Redwood GroveCanoga Park High School
Trees have always been an important consideration at Canoga Park High School since its founding in 1915. Many varieties of beautiful trees have been planted on campus over the years including the majestic Coast Redwood, (Sequoia Sempervirens), the . . . — Map (db m135071) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Distribution Station No. 2Department of Water and Power
Commemorating 50 years of power service to the citizens of Los Angeles beginning November 13, 1916 from this distributing station. — Map (db m134909) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Electric Power PoleCity of Los Angeles
On this corner, March 30, 1916, was erected the first pole of the municipal electric distribution system of the City of Los Angeles. This plaque placed February 5, 1952, by the Department of Water and Power as a part of the commemoration . . . — Map (db m134910) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montrose — The Crescenta-Cañada Valley
When the Colonials of the American eastern seaboard were struggling to create and defend man’s most noble achievement in self government, the vast Pacific Southwest was a slumbering frontier. Barely six years before Paul Revere made his famous ride . . . — Map (db m135165) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montrose — The Great Flood of 1934
On this site American Legion Post 288 once stood. The great flood swept through its walls shortly after midnight on New Year’s Day, taking with it 12 local residents. Most had taken refuge inside from the torrential rain and two were dedicated Red . . . — Map (db m134845) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — 19 — Cathedral Oak Monument
Panel 1: Under this oak — the legend runs — the first Easter Services in California were held by Father Crespi in 1770. Panel 2: Near this spot the Cathedral Oak stood. Time destroyed its roots. This . . . — Map (db m134912) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Hollywood — Plummer Park
Part of lands occupied by Señora Francisca Perez under preemption law as early as 1869. Surveyed in 1871 as public lands. Deeded by Señora Perez to Eugene R. Plummer in 1877. U.S. patent issued 1880. Purchased by County of Los . . . — Map (db m135251) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Don Gaspar de Portolá
On June 3, 1770 near this spot Don Gaspar de Portolá Soldier Explorer Patriot of Spain Founded the Presidio and settlement of Monterey — Map (db m135033) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Barker Hotel
The Barker is the last of four hotels to occupy this site. First occupied by the Roseville Hotel-1870, later sold for six-wagons-and-a-mule, replaced by Ross House-1891 and the Western Hotel-1899.

The Barker Hotel & Bar opened-1911 and . . . — Map (db m135428) HM

California (Placer County), Roseville — Incorporation
By 1905, Roseville consisted of a small handful of nondescript buildings huddled closely together around the railroad. Population had stabilized at 250. The Southern Pacific, successors to the Central Pacific Railroad, announced its intention to . . . — Map (db m135430) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville The Beginning
The story of Roseville's "Old Town" had its beginnings in the aftermath of the fabled California gold rush when discouraged gold seekers left the mineral regions to take up farming along the rich creek bottom lands of south western Placer County. . . . — Map (db m135429) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — The SPMW 7221 (SPMW 221) Rotary Snow Plow
The first suecessful rotary plow was designed by Canadian Orang Jull. Jull hired the Leslie Brothers to build the first model with the first tests conducted in the winter of 1883-84. The Leslies soon purchased the manufacturing rights to the plow . . . — Map (db m135381) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — The Wolf Store
This structure, one of the oldest surviving buildings in Riverdale County, was constructed in 1866 and served as a general store along the Southern Emigrant Trail and also as Temecula's post office from 1870 to 1882. Louis Wolf, the proprietor and . . . — Map (db m135398) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — Treaty of Temecula
In this adobe, January 5, 1852, Treaty of Peace and Friendship entered into at village of Temecula between United States and San Luis Rey Kahwea, and Cocomcahra Indians. Treaty important factor furthering relations between southern California . . . — Map (db m135363) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — Lincoln Memorial ShrineErected by the Watchorn Family
As did their friends the Smiley brothers, Robert and Alma Watchorn contributed greatly to Redlands’ cultural life. A labor organizer, Commissioner of Immigration at Ellis Island, and oilman who experienced the American dream, Robert as a . . . — Map (db m135263) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Moorish Fountain and Indian Community Laundry
Built in 1808 En beneficio de la humanidad by the Franciscan Padres — Map (db m135280) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara County Courthouse
Has been designated a

National Historic Landmark

This courthouse complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States Of America

The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a superlative example . . . — Map (db m135167) HM

California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 1037 — Santa Barbara County Courthouse
The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is one of America's finest representations of Spanish-Andalusian architecture in a public structure. It stands as the prized jewel of the county whose people it serves and whose visitors it delights. After . . . — Map (db m135171) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara Mission Lavanderia
This clothes washing basin or lavanderia was built by the Chumash Indians of Santa Barbara Mission village in 1808. Not all missions built such a structure. The Chumash particularly valued cleanliness and worked to construct this lavanderia fed . . . — Map (db m135254) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — “Fruit Brandy” StillPleasant Valley Museum
This "Fruit Brandy” still was donated by the Robert E. Nunn family. It had been on a ranch in the Santa Barbara area when Wm. Templeton [father of Beth Nunn, grandfather of Kevin and Kyle Nunn] rescued it. On display at the . . . — Map (db m134939) HM
California (Ventura County), Somis — 133 — The Somis School
The Somis School building is located on the former site of the Somis Methodist Church. It was built in 1924 to replace the older school building which became the Somis Thursday Clubhouse. Originally the school had only three classrooms. . . . — Map (db m134946) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — The First Community
Near this site, the village of Shisholop, home to 300 to 400 Chumash, once stretched from the beach near the base of Figueroa Street inland past the San Buenaventura Mission. From its beginning, about 1000 AD., Shisholop (meaning . . . — Map (db m135241) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 3e — Cherry Creek Emigrant's SongWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
. . . — Map (db m135352) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 4w — Coal Miner's DaughterWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Josephine Roche, daughter of a wealthy coal mine operator, ran for governor in 1934. She advocated a progressive sales tax that fell heavily on the rich. Although she lost the election, she became Assistant Secretary of Treasury, the second . . . — Map (db m135101) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 5w — D&F Tower and Skyline ParkWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The D&F Tower at the corner of 16th and Arapahoe Streets is all that remains of the Daniels & Fisher department store that stood on this block. After its construction in 1911, the D&F Tower was for many years the tallest building in Denver. . . . — Map (db m135103) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 7w — Don't PanicWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
The Silver Panic of 1893 brought 17th Street to her knees. Eventually she recovered; gold was the reason she survived. Golden riches arrived from the mines of Cripple Creek filling Denver's coffers. This Golden Era is symbolized by the gold . . . — Map (db m135105) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 4e — Private Profits and the Public GoodWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Unlike San Francisco, which the Spanish founded as a mission, and Salt Lake City, which the Mormons started as a communal religious utopia, Denver originated as a place to make money. From the beginning, the town aspired to be the supply hub: . . . — Map (db m135357) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 6w — Rails and MountainsWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Down 17th Street, Longs Peak is visible over the roof of Union Station. Together, they symbolize two bases of Denvers economy. Since its founding in 1858, Denver has taken advantage of its location for freight and passenger transportation. Starting . . . — Map (db m135104) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 1e — Rocky Mountain FashionWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
“Your ruffle shirts, standing collars and all kinds of fine clothing had better be left in your wardrobe at home. Discard all cotton or linen clothing; adapt yourself at once to woolen and leather; provide yourself with woolen underclothes. . . . — Map (db m135351) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 9e — Take Your PickWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
. . . — Map (db m135315) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — The Women's Suffrage Association of Colorado
Was founded on this site at a meeting in the Unity Church on January 11, 1876. In 1893 Colorado became the second state in the Union to grant women the right to vote. — Map (db m135106) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 2e — Yo Soy JoaquinWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Rodolfo Corky Gonzales born in Denver June 18, 1928, son of a migrant worker, helped organize and lead the Chicano civil and human rights movement of the 1960s and '70s. He advocated equality, justice and self-determination for the Chicano/Mexicano . . . — Map (db m135326) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — The Garden of the Gods
Given to the City of Colorado Springs in 1909 by the children of Charles Elliott Perkins In fulfilment of his wish that it be kept forever free to the public — Map (db m135023) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Time Frozen In StoneGarden of the Gods Park
This rock formation, called Sentinel Rock, is a geologic treasure. It is composed of two types of rock - a fine sandstone and a gravelly conglomerate. The various layers in this rock were deposited 275 million years ago. During that time, ancient . . . — Map (db m135022) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Unionville — Suburban Park 1895-1905
Also known as Rainbow Park, Suburban Park was owned and operated by the Farmington Street Railway Company, which charged fifteen cents for the one hour and fifteen-minute ride from Hartford. At thirty-five acres, the park extended well into . . . — Map (db m134917) HM
Connecticut (Hartford County), Unionville — Unionville
Located at the west end of Farmington, the village of Unionville was first recognized as such by the U.S. Postal Service in 1834. Earlier it was called Langdon’s Quarter and then Union District. Residents took full advantage of the Farmington . . . — Map (db m134927) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams Morgan — The Envoy
The Envoy is a designated D.C. Landmark and is placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior Built -- 1916 Restored -- 1981 — Map (db m135080) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — "Southwest Waterfront Footbridge"
Built in 2004 as part of Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.'s development, this footbridge, connecting the hotel to Washington's Southwest Waterfront, was named and dedicated through a community-wide contest with The Washington Examiner in . . . — Map (db m135434) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Tidal Basin — River Bottom to ParklandNational Mall and Memorial Parks — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Where you are standing was originally the bottom of the Potomac River. The shoreline roughly paralleled 15th Street, skirted around the Washington Monument which stood almost at the river's edge, and then followed what is now the current route of . . . — Map (db m135435) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Florida Museum
The Florida Museum traces its roots to the 1890s at Florida Agricultural College in Lake City. In 1906, the collections moved to the UF campus in Gainesville. On May 30, 1917, the Florida State Museum became the state's official natural history . . . — Map (db m134906) HM
Florida (Highlands County), Sebring — F-918 — Hendricks Field Memorial Park
This original 72’ flagpole at the Sebring International Raceway marks the geographic center of Hendricks Field, a United States Army Air Force (USAAF) base that operated under the jurisdiction of the 76th Flying Training Wing from 1942-1945. . . . — Map (db m134905) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-964 — South Ward School Site
In 1873, the first school under public administration in present-day Pinellas County was established in a log structure originally built for the Midway Baptist Church in the area of what is now the Clearwater Municipal Cemetery. In 1884, the school . . . — Map (db m135325) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Ramey FieldNaval Air Station Sanford
Ramey Field Dedicated To LCDR Robert W. Ramey United States Navy 1920 - 1958 Who sacrificed his life on June 2, 1958 saving the lives of his crew members when the A3D aircraft, of which he was pilot, crashed February 6, . . . — Map (db m135185) HM WM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1937-1938 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Sept. 5, 1937 – 51.2 miles. 1st-Smokey Purser, ‘37 Ford; 2nd-Mike Cone; 3rd-Danny Murphy. July 10, 1938 – 150.4 miles. 1st-Danny Murphy, ’38 Ford; 2nd-Bill France; 3rd-Mike Cone. Sept. 5, 1938, 156.8 miles. 1st-Bill . . . — Map (db m134915) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1939 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Mar. 19 – 156.8 miles. 1st–J. Sam Rice, '39 Mercury; 2nd–Bill France; 3rd–Joe Littlejohn July 4 – 160 miles. 1st–Stewart Joyce-'32 Ford; 2nd–Smokey Purser; 3rd–Bill Tanner Sept. 4 – . . . — Map (db m134937) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1940 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Mar. 10 – 160 miles. 1st – Roy Hall, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Joe Littlejohn; 3rd – Cannonball Bob Baker July 7 – 160 miles. 1st – Bill France, ’39 Buick; 2nd – Joe Littlejohn; 3rd –Smokey Purser . . . — Map (db m134940) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1941 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Mar. 2 – 160 miles . 1st – Roy Hall, Ford: 2nd – Smokey Purser; 3rd – Tommy Elmore Mar. 30 – 160 miles, 1st – Smokey Purser - ’39 Ford; 2nd – Roy Hall; 3rd – Joe Littlejohn July 27 . . . — Map (db m135026) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1946 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOrmond/Daytona Beach
Apr. 14 – 160 miles . 1st – Red Byron,’39 Ford; 2nd – Joe Littlejohn ; 3rd – Ed Eng June 30 – 102.4 miles, 1st – Roy Hall, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Mickey Rhodes; 3rd – Gayle Warren — Map (db m135140) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1947 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach - Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Jan. 26 – 160 miles . 1st – Red Byron,’39 Ford; 2nd – Louis Pickett; ; 3rd – Lee Morgan Mar. 9 – 96 miles. 1st – Bob Flock - ’39 Ford; 2nd – Huch Lanford; 3rd – Glenn Dunnaway Aug. 17 . . . — Map (db m135144) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1948 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach - Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb 15 – 149.6 miles. 1st – Red Byron,’39 Ford; 2nd – Marshall Teagues ; 3rd – Raymond Parks with Bob Flock in relief Aug. 8 – 149.6 miles. 1st – Fonty Flock, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Bill Snowden; 3rd . . . — Map (db m135146) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1949 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 4.3 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Jan. 16 – 201.1 miles . 1st – Marshall Teague, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Speedy Thompson ; 3rd – Crash Waller Inaugural Daytona Strictly Stock Race on 4.15 mile Beach – Road Course July 10 – 166 miles, 1st . . . — Map (db m135150) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1950 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2b Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb. 4 – 102.5 mile Modified Race. . 1st – Gober Sosebee, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Fireball Roberts; 3rd – Red Cummings . Feb. 5 –1 96.8 miles Grand National Race. 1st –Harold Kite, - ’49 Lincoln; 2nd – Red . . . — Map (db m135222) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1951 Daytona Beach Stock Car Races1951 Daytona Beach Stock Car Races — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb. 10 – 159.9 mile Sportsmen’s Race. 1st – Gober Sosebee, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Frankie Schneider; 3rd Tim Flock Feb. 11 –1 59.9 mile Grand National Race. 1st –Marshall Teague., -‘ 51 Hudson; 2nd – Tim Flock, . . . — Map (db m135223) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1952 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 4.1 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb. 9, 1952 98.4 Mile Modified - Sportsmen’s Race Modified Finishers 1st – Jag Smith, ’39 Ford; 2nd - Curtis Turner; 3rd – Joe Weatherly. *Tim Flock finished first, but disqualified. Sportsman Finishers 1st (12th overall) . . . — Map (db m135231) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Racing on the Beach 1928Ormond/Daytona Beach
Two months after crashing into surf in his innovative 182 cubic inch twin supercharged V-16 powered “Stutz Black Hawk” Frank Lockhart returns and runs 198.292 mph on first attempt. Approaching Measured Mile at 225 mph for return . . . — Map (db m135139) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Racing on the Beach 1936 — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
With land speed record runs on these sands ended, a new type of speed event began here when stock cars raced on 3.2 mile beach–road course. 27 starters ran south on paved road A1A and north of the beach, struggling through a turn at each . . . — Map (db m134884) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Racing on the Beach 1936Ormond/Daytona Beach
Inaugural Daytona Beach stock car race 240 on 3.2 mile beach road course qualifying speeds from 58.6 to 70.39 mph. Milt Marion in ’36 ford convertible declared winner at average speed just over 52 mph; 2nd- Bea Shaw; 3rd- Tommy Elmore; 4th- Sam . . . — Map (db m134904) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — The BluebirdsRacing on the Beach — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Year • Record Speed • H.P. • Engine Type 1928 • 206.056 mph • 900v • Napier Aircraft 1931 • 245.733 mph • 1350 • Napier Aircraft 1932 • 253.968 mph • 1500 • Napier Aircraft 1933 • 272.108 mph • 2500 • Rolls-Royce Aircraft 1935 • . . . — Map (db m134877) HM
Georgia (Chattooga County), Summerville — Summerville, GeorgiaChickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
In late August 1863, the Federal Army of the Cumberland began moving toward Georgia. On the extreme right of the Federal lines, the XX Army Corps, commanded by Major General Alexander M. McCook began advancing across Lookout Mountain with Alpine, . . . — Map (db m134924) HM
Georgia (Chattooga County), Summerville — The Couey HouseSummerville Historic Site
Built in the early 1840’s by Andrew McSelland Couey, this log house was one of the earliest pioneer homes in Chattooga County. As the land was cleared, the house was constructed of huge logs which were hoisted into place and carved into half . . . — Map (db m134923) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — Chestatee River Diving Bell (c.1875)
During the early days of the Georgia Gold Rush, vast deposits of gold were known to exist at the bottom of the Chestatee River, but mining was restricted to the shallow areas close to the riverbanks because miners lacked the means to exploit the . . . — Map (db m134920) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — The O'Farrell Cabin
The O'Farrell Cabin Boise's first home and place of worship Built by John O'Farrell 1863 — Map (db m135266) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Bataan- Corregidor Memorial Bridge
Dedicated to the memory of those gallant heroes from the Chicago area who were members of the besieged garrison on the Bataan peninsula and at Corregidor, Philippine Islands, in World War II.

May the courage and fortitude . . . — Map (db m134843) WM

Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Chicago Remembers
This memorial is dedicated to all veterans of the armed forces who served in Viet Nam. It replaces the former memorial and reflecting pool located on Wacker Drive that had been dedicated by Mayor Jane M. Byrne on November 11, 1982. The inscribed . . . — Map (db m134950) WM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Trail BlazerSleipner — First vessel direct from Europe destined for Chicago —
The Norwegian sailing ship Sleipner left Bergen, Norway- May 23, 1862 arrived Chicago- August 2, 1862 this ship, carrying 107 passengers and 350 tons of cargo moored at this location in the Chicago River. The Sleipner called again in 1863, . . . — Map (db m134955) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Viet Nam MemorialChicago Remembers
A Memorial to Vietnam Veterans You are entering a site dedicated to Americans who served their country with great honor and distinction in the Vietnam War. Your respect to their memory is greatly appreciated. no biking, no skateboarding, no . . . — Map (db m134949) WM
Illinois (Pike County), Barry — New Philadelphia Townsite
New Philadelphia Townsite has been designated a National Historic Landmark Founded in 1836 by Frank McWorter, New Philadelphia is the first known town planned and legally registered by an African American in the United States. . . . — Map (db m134869) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Barry — Site of New PhiladelphiaSeptember 16, 1836 - 1885
The town consisted of 144 lots laid out by a black man FREE FRANK MCWORTER. In 1819 he bought his freedom from slavery, and eventually freedom for 16 family members for $14,000. He was the first settler (1829) in Hadley Township. Free Frank was born . . . — Map (db m134870) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Griggsville — Skinner HouseCommunity Center
Built 1858 Remodelled 1905 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Restored By the Griggsville Preservation and Restoration Society Open to Public May 30 1982 — Map (db m135374) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Perry — General Grant and the 21st IL Regiment
Gen. U.S. Grant, commander of the 21st Regiment Illinois Volunteers was camped here with his regiment July 8, 1861 — Map (db m135377) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Troutner Dam
Named in honor of Mayor T.N. Troutner Whose vision, wise planning, and tireless effort made this project a reality — Map (db m134874) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Welcome to Lake PittsfieldFrom the people of the City of Pittsfield
Lake Pittsfield was built by the City of Pittsfield for water supply purposes as part of the Big Blue Creek Watershed. The first multiple purpose watershed project pursuant to the Watershed Protection and Flood Prevention Act of the United States of . . . — Map (db m135258) HM
Kentucky (Campbell County), Fort Thomas — 990 — Samuel Woodfill
“Outstanding soldier of the AEF," Gen. Pershing. “The first soldier of America,” Marshal Foch. Given Congressional Medal of Honor, the French Croix de Guerre and Legion of Honor. Alone he destroyed three machine gun nests, . . . — Map (db m135046) HM
Kentucky (Campbell County), Newport — 121 — General James Taylor Home
Underground Railroad station. Mansion built by General Taylor, pioneer, banker, statesman. General in the War of 1812. Original house designed by H.B. Latrobe. Present house build, 1837. — Map (db m135084) HM
Kentucky (Campbell County), Newport — 1730 — Northern Kentucky University / Early Schoolhouse
Northern Kentucky University began as an extension center of University of Kentucky, 1948. It became community college, 1962, and by 1976 was a state university. It moved here from Covington in 1972. The 300-acre NKU campus is part of . . . — Map (db m135013) HM
Kentucky (Campbell County), Newport — 2071 — Southgate Street School
In 1870, the Newport City Council purchased property for a school for African Americans, and three years later a frame house was constructed. Elizabeth Hudson was appointed first African American teacher at salary of $35 per month. Two major events . . . — Map (db m135078) HM
Kentucky (Campbell County), Silver Grove — 163 — Mary Ingles
Said to have been first white woman in Kentucky. Captured by Indians in Virginia, July 1755, and taken to Ohio. Later she escaped a salt-making party at Big Bone Lick and made her way across the Kentucky wilderness back to Virginia. — Map (db m135043) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — Arnold House
Named in memory of James G. Arnold, Teacher, Benefactor, Man of God, who:

Organized the First Christian Church in Covington about 1830;

Re-organizd it after it was dispersed by an epidemic of cholera in 1833;

Built a house of . . . — Map (db m135364) HM

Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — Dr. Geo. V. Flaig
Humanitarian who stood on this corner in snow sleet, rain and zero temperature collecting monies to help the unfortunate blind of this community for 30 years. — Map (db m135401) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Shaquille O'NealLSU
LSU All American 1991, 1992 National Player of the Year 1991 SEC Athlete of the Year 1991, 1992 World Amateur Athlete of Year, 1992 NCAA Rebound Leader (14.7 per game) 1991 Member, 1991 SEC Championship Team No. 33 Retired, December 2000 . . . — Map (db m135072) HM
Louisiana (Evangeline Parish), Bayou Chicot — Calvary Baptist ChurchBayou Chicot — Founded in 1812 —
Joseph Willis was the first Baptist minister to preach the Gospel west of the Mississippi River. Between 1804-1805, Willis arrived in Bayou Chicot, Louisiana, where he began evangelizing and meeting with believers. This group did not establish . . . — Map (db m134958) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Acadian HouseMaison Acadienne
ACADIAN HOUSE: A Small Cajun Plantation Building This small Cajun structure dates from the 1830s, and originated on the Mouton Plantation near Carencro, north of Lafayette. The plantation was owned by Francois and Antoine . . . — Map (db m135319) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Boucvalt HouseMaison Boucvalt
MAISON BOUCVALT: An Urban Dwelling from the late 1800s This house was was built in the late 1800s as an located originally in downtown Opelousas, and urban dwelling. Named after the last owner of the house Dr. Roy . . . — Map (db m135042) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Coussan HouseLa Maison Coussan
HOUSE OF CULTURES: Reflecting the Crossroads of Cultures The history of this house reflects the diverse groups of people that inhabit the region. The Coussan family of French immigrants built this house around 1850 in the Pont . . . — Map (db m134977) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Historic Village MapFun Facts (Faits amusants)
From where did the word "Cajun" come? The refugees from Acadian Canada, called themselves Acadians. Over time, the word transformed into more vernacular pronunciation Cajun Can you be Cajun if your family was NOT from . . . — Map (db m135003) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Le Petit Bayou: FerryLe Petit Bayou: Le Traversier
GUIDE ROPE FERRY: Simple Technology for Traversing Bayous South Louisiana features numerous rivers and bayous that flow from north to south, making east-west travel difficult in the pre-modern age. Ferries were essential for . . . — Map (db m134963) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Mouton HouseMaison Mouton
Mouton House: The House of a Middle Class Acadian Family The Maison Mouton is a reconstruction of a standard sized dwelling with a detached kitchen, representing a home of a middle class family. Some Cajun families built up . . . — Map (db m134961) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Mouton KitchenLa Cuisine de Maison Mouton
MOUTON KITCHEN: A Detached Kitchen before the Modern Age This building is a reproduction of a typical kitchen built separately from the main residence to reduce heat and the threat of fire. Pre-modern kitchens in rural . . . — Map (db m135077) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — School HouseL'école
School House: Banning of the French Language L'école is a reproduction of a typical schoolhouse of the late 1800s. In southwest Louisiana, French was the dominant language until the mid-1900s. Native Americans along with . . . — Map (db m135004) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Long Leaf — Clyde Double Drum-Cable Outhaul Log Skidder
The machine In front of you is the last remaining example of what was known as a "Clyde Skidder". Developed by the Clyde Iron Works of Duluth MN, shortly after 1902 and modified several times thereafter. In its initial version, it consisted of a . . . — Map (db m134959) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Krotz Springs — Bottomland Hardwoods
Bottomland hardwood forests are seasonally flooded and are commonly known as swamps. These areas once covered great regions of the South but are now a patchwork system of fragmented lands.

Great swamps had many things that attracted early . . . — Map (db m135040)

Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — "Braddock's Road"
Near this point on June 10, 1755, after nearly a month's delay at Fort Cumberland, Braddock's troops started toward Fort Duquesne to wrest it from the French. On July 9, 1755, he met his terrible death at the Monongahela. — Map (db m134854) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m135083) HM WM

517 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 317
Paid Advertisement