Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

277 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 77
 
One of many informational plaques that make up the Barbados Independence Monument image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, May 27, 2019
One of many informational plaques that make up the Barbados Independence Monument
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Barbados Independence Monument
Monument abstract This monument, a pathway of Independence, chronicles the foundation years of Barbados’ nationhood. Here, in this space renowned for recreation, learning and historical experience, we collectively celebrate 50 years of . . . — Map (db m135176) HM
Barbados, Saint Michael, Bridgetown — Saint Matthias Anglican Church
Saint Matthias Anglican Church Barbados National Trust Building of Historical and Architectural Interest — Map (db m135177) HM
Dominica, Saint David, Salybia — Death of Sadwill Bruney
In memory of Sadwill Bruney who was shot in cold blood in this spot by Cpl. Edward Thomas on 1st June 1994. Let us not forget — Map (db m135265) HM
Dominica, Saint David, Sineku — Carib History
Carib war, September 19th 1930. Two Caribs died. Dudley John and Royer Frederick, two injured Tilson Bruney and Ferdinand Sanford. Sauteus of Grenada Kioumoue titanyem oubecouyum Santiquet ala eyeti Our father who art in heaven Hallowed be thy . . . — Map (db m135260) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Anglican ChurchExplore Roseau
Anglican Church 1820 A permanent Anglican church was constructed on current site. British government funded the construction of the church for £6,500. It was built in the style of the Regency period which consists of a square, solid stone . . . — Map (db m135310) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — David the Goliath
David the Goliath The African Baobab Tree (Adansonia digitata) was blown down on the bus during Hurricane David on August 29th 1979. Fortunately the bus was empty at the time. The main stem is now more than 21 ft (6.4 m) in circumference and . . . — Map (db m135318) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Methodist ChurchExplore Roseau
Methodist Church 1787 First Methodist missionary, Dr. Thomas Coke arrived. It was originally a dwelling house. 1800 The lot where the church is now was initially leased to Catholics who later converted to Wesleyan Methodism. Construction . . . — Map (db m135311) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Morne Bruce GarrisonThe Defence of Roseau
Morne Bruce Garrison The Defence of Roseau Dominica was ceded to Britain by the Treaty of Paris in 1763. To keep the island under her rule, Britain had to defend it from the French. Some small forts were started in 1765. Military engineers . . . — Map (db m135344) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Morne Bruce GarrisonNorth Point Battery
Morne Bruce Garrison North Point Battery Cannon and Signaling Station To get messages up and down the coast, Captain James Bruce organised a line of signal stations. The signals were a combination of gun salutes and flag signals. Each . . . — Map (db m135345) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — PottersvilleExplore Roseau
Pottersville Was once known as Ballahoo Town and then Lod bor – creole for “the other side”. Was mainly occupied by fishermen, domestics and port workers who worked in Roseau. Pottersville was named after . . . — Map (db m135316) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — PottersvilleBy the Pottersville Savannah — Explore Roseau —
Pottersville By the Pottersville Savannah View of Woodbridge Bay in 1960 prior to the construction of the Deep Water Harbour. Walking distances to various historic sites and landmarks Map, key and emergency information . . . — Map (db m135343) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Roseau BayfrontRoseau Cruise Ship Berth — Explore Roseau —
Roseau Cruise Ship Berth Left: The origins of our main streets are based on footpaths leading to and from the market and landing place at the old harbour. Where you now stand is the site of the old harbour. Below: View of Roseau . . . — Map (db m135309) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Roseau BayfrontFerry Terminal — Explore Roseau —
Roseau Bayfront Ferry Terminal Roseau Bayfront 1900, at the time it was known as Bay Street. For many years the town was fronted by a wide beach but after a series of hurricanes, sea defence walls were built along the waterfront. . . . — Map (db m135342) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Roseau CathedralExplore Roseau
Roseau Cathedral 1730 First started as a 16 x 40 ft solid timber church. This was fashioned after the Kalinago Kabays, consisting of strong posts and woven palm leaves. It was constructed by French lumbermen and peasant farmers. The original . . . — Map (db m135314) HM
Dominica, Saint George, Roseau — Woodbridge BayExplore Roseau
Woodbridge Bay 1777 Woodbridge Bay is named after William Woodbridge, who from 1777, was the owner of Goodwill Estate. 1925 Prior to the construction of the Deep Water Harbour, it was a popular bathing spot lined with private beach huts and a . . . — Map (db m135259) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Kitzingen — The Bombing of Kitzingen
Am 23. Februar 1945 starben über 700 Menschen in den Trümmern der von Sprengbomben schwer getroffenen Stadt Kitzingen. Kaum ein Gebäude blieb unbeschadigt an die 800 Wohnhauser mit 2000 Wohnungen wurden zerstört. Es waren die . . . — Map (db m135433) HM WM
Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — 4 — Tugendbrunnen / The Virtue FountainFrankfurter Brunnen
Klassizistischer Pumpen-brunnen - 1832 an der ehemaligen Hl.-Geist- Kapelle aufgestellt als Ersatz eines Rokokobrunnens von 1768, dessen allegorische "Tugendstatue” über- nommen wurde.

-

(English . . . — Map (db m135403) HM

Grenada, Saint Andrew, St. Cyr — Welcome to the Grand Etang Forest Reserve
Welcome to the Grand Etang Forest Reserve The Grand Etang Forest Reserve was established in 1906 and covers an area of 3,816 acres (1,600 hectares). Within the reserve lies the source of the largest river on the island, the Great River which . . . — Map (db m135233) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Antilles Hotel
Antilles Hotel This structure, one of Grenada’s oldest, is in part one of the former French military barracks constructed in 1704. From 1767 to 1880 the British used portions for a prison. Shortly after, the upper floors became the island’s . . . — Map (db m135201) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Assassination of Maurice Bishop
In everlasting memory of Prime Minister Maurice Bishop Fitzroy Bain ∙ Norris Bain ∙ Evelyn Bullen ∙ Jacqueline Creft ∙ Keith Hayling ∙ Evelyn Maitland ∙ Unison Whiteman Andy Sebastian Alexander ∙ . . . — Map (db m135186) HM WM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Backwards Facing Forts
Backwards Facing Forts The gun ports on this unique fort face inland, rather than to seaward from where an attack on the island would have been expected. This is because of the lesson learned by the British in 1779 when the French took the . . . — Map (db m135230) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Destruction of the Bianca C
. . . — Map (db m135181) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Fort FrederickGrenada Historic Forts
Fort Frederick Welcome to Fort Frederick – one of the few forts in the world which has never fired a shot in anger. It was built by the French, who had wrested the island from the British in 1779. The French realized that had such . . . — Map (db m135228) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Grenada National Museum
Grenada National Museum While the museum’s structure is, indeed, an historic artifact, the museum’s collection offers a variety of objects emphasizing the island’s past. Relics from native Indian populations provide a glimpse into early . . . — Map (db m135193) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Grenada Seamen and Waterfront Workers’ Union
This corner stone was laid by the President of the Grenada Seamen and Waterfront Workers’ Union Bro. Arthur Ramsay on the occasion of the 25th Anniversary of the Union on the 1st. May 1977. — Map (db m135182) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Historic Sedan Chair Portico
Historic Sedan Chair Portico This portico is the actual front entrance of this building for sedan chairs. In the 19th century, during early British colonial rule in Grenada, the sedan chair was a major mode of transportation used by the free . . . — Map (db m135206) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — In the Bowels of the Fort
In the Bowels of the Fort This fort has a maze of underground tunnels and passageways, plus an extensive waterworks system. Look at the size of the stones. These tunnels offered an easy means of underground communication, allowing soldiers . . . — Map (db m135229) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Marryshow House
Marryshow House This structure was once the home of T. Albert Marryshow, better known as The “Father of the Federation.” This West Indian statesman promoted the formation of one nation from all of the West Indies. Aside from its . . . — Map (db m135227) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Port Louis (1650)
Port Louis (1650) Grenada’s First Town On June 20th 1650 the French colonist led by Du Parquet, Governor of Martinique landed in this area and set up the first town which was called Port Louis. Project by: Kids Learning Center Sponsored by: . . . — Map (db m135180) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Roman Catholic Cathedral
Roman Catholic Cathedral Located on Upper Church Street, this church reflects several dates of construction. The tower, constructed in 1818, is the oldest part of the building. The remaining portion was built in 1884 on the site of an 1804 . . . — Map (db m135225) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — Sedan Porches
Sedan Porches These porches were popular in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries when sedan chairs were a form of transportation. The porches, open on two sides, would shelter passengers from bad weather when they were embarking or . . . — Map (db m135205) HM
Grenada, Saint George, St. George's — St. Andrew's Presbyterian Kirk
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Kirk Popularly known as the Scots’ Kirk, this structure sits at the end of the Church Street. It was constructed in 1831 with assistance from the Freemasons. Two features for which the church is well known are its . . . — Map (db m135203) HM
Grenada, Saint Patrick, Tivoli — Mona Monkey
Mona Monkey (Cercopithecus mona) They were introduced to Grenada as pets, from West Africa during the slave trade in the late 1600s. They are primarily found in rainforests, like Grand Etang, towards the midde and top of the trees. They . . . — Map (db m135232) HM
Italy, Campania (Napoli), Capri — Palazzo Vanalesti / Vanalesti’s Palace
Palazzo costruito dalla Famiglia Vanalesti nella, seconda meta' del 700 Fu sede di un Seminario vescovile e di una scuola pubblica. -

The palace was built by the Vanalestis. In the second half of the 18th . . . — Map (db m135247) HM

Italy, Sicilia (Messina), Taormina — Church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria / Chiesa di Santa Caterina D'Allesandria
Sec. XVII - stile barocco - costruita sull' odeon romano - la statua della santa e' datata 1493 - altrua statua sulla la facciata notevole la cripta

-

XVIIth Century - Baroque - built on the site of the Roman Odeon - the . . . — Map (db m135281) HM

Mexico, Querétaro (Municipality of Querétaro), Santiago de Querétaro — Teatro de la República
Teatro de la República 1867. En este histórico edificio, se reunio el Consejo de Guerra que juzgo a Maximiliano y sus principales generales. 1917. El dia 31 de enero, se firmo la Constitucion General de la Republica que . . . — Map (db m135270) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bacalar
Bacalar Las maravillas y recursos naturales de Bacalar lo hacen uno de los lugares más bellos del estado de Quintana Roo. De nombre maya Bakjalal, que significa "rodeado de carrizos", esta zona se ubica en la ribera de la laguna que . . . — Map (db m135411) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — BacalarPueblo Mágico
Bacalar Pueblo Mágico Las maravillas y recursos naturales de Bacalar lo hacen uno de los lugares más bellos del estado de Quintana Roo. De nombre maya Bakjalal, que significa "rodeado de carrizos", esta zona se ubica en la ribera de . . . — Map (db m135413) HM
Mexico, Quintana Roo (Municipality of Bacalar), Bacalar — Bel Itzá, or Path of the ItzaesAvenida Adolfo López Mateos
Avenida Adolfo López Mateos Bel Itzá o Camino de los Itzáes Bacalar era una ciudad de paso obligado para llegar a Izamal, centro religioso prehispánico maya donde se veneraba a K’inich K'aak’ mo (el guacamayo de fuego con rostro . . . — Map (db m135415) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Peter de Grote / Peter the Great
Hier werkte Tsaar Peter de Grote 30 Augustus 1697   15 Januari 1698

-

(English translation:)

Czar Peter the Great worked here, August 30, 1697 - January 15, 1698 — Map (db m135207) HM

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint George, Kingston — Kingston Methodist Church
Welcome to the Kingstown Methodist Church Methodism officially came to St. Vincent on the 9th of January, 1787, when British missionaries Rev. Thomas Coke, Rev. John Coke, William Warrener and William Hammet landed at the Kingstown Harbour. In . . . — Map (db m135179) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Southwark — Globe Theatre
Here stood the Globe Playhouse of Shakespeare, 1598 - 1613.

Commemorated by the Shakespeare Reading Society of London and by subscribers in the United Kingdom and India. — Map (db m135421) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Albert ClockCathedral Quarter — 1869 —

The Albert Memorial Clock is one of Belfast's best loved landmarks and is affectionately known as the city's very own 'leaning tower'. Standing 35 metres high and constructed mainly of sandstone, it was built on wooden piles on reclaimed, . . . — Map (db m135178) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Anthony Trollope1815 - 1882

Novelist

worked here as Post Office Surveyor — Map (db m135235) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Calder Fountain

[Side A]

Erected by Public Subscription As a memorial to the labours of Francis Anderson Calder, Commander, R.N.

In the cause of humanity And to whom is mainly to be attributed the erection, between the years . . . — Map (db m135202) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Custom HouseCathedral Quarter — 1857 —

The Custom House is an imposing two storey Victorian building designed by the architect Charles Lanyon and built in the Italian style. The existence of such a building was made possible and necessary as Belfast became one of the greatest . . . — Map (db m135257) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Custom House SquareCathedral Quarter

This part of Cathedral Quarter is an area of great historical importance. It was the birthplace of Belfast, where the River Farset joined the River Lagan. In the past, ships tied up at quays here, but today Custom House Square provides an area . . . — Map (db m135188) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Donegall QuayCathedral Quarter

You are at the Lagan Lookout and the Lagan Weir. There are fascinating places to visit in all directions from here. Head past Bigfish towards Corporation Square in the heart of Belfast's Sailortown district. There are two particularly . . . — Map (db m135252) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — James Holmes1753-1832

First US Consul in Belfast at Chichester Quay opposite here 1796 — Map (db m135184) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — Leading Seaman James Magennis, VC1919-1986

Submariner Born in Belfast ——————————— Acting Leading Seaman James Joseph Magennis VC, Royal Navy Was born in Belfast

Awarded the VC for his action on 31 July . . . — Map (db m135308) HM WM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Antrim), Belfast — The QuaysLaganside Corporation 1989-2007

Welcome to the Quays at the mouth of the River Lagan. Set around the Lagan Weir the Quays incorporate Queen's Quay, Hanover Quay, Gregg's Quay and Donegall Quay, all closely linked with the origins of Belfast. The city derives its name from the . . . — Map (db m135226) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — 1908 Harland and Wolff Shipyard

This plan shows the extent of Harland and Wolff's shipyard on Queen's Island in 1908. The Queen's Island shipyards were highly successful at this time; 247 ships were built on the island between 1900 and 1913, more than any other shipyard in . . . — Map (db m135267) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Bigger Ships and Bigger Docks

Hamilton Graving Dock was continuously in use with ships being repaired, serviced or fitted out. It was leased by the Harbour Commissioners to Belfast's two main shipyards, Harland and Wolff and Workman Clark, as well as to ship . . . — Map (db m135388) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Building the Dock 1864-1867 / Belfast's Industrial Growth

[Front]

Building the Dock 1864-1867

The construction of the dock began in February 1864 and was finished within three years. Four hundred and fifty men were employed to build the graving dock and the adjoining . . . — Map (db m135286) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Building the Dock 1864-1867 / Hamilton Dock

[Front]

Building the Dock 1864-1867

The construction of Hamilton Dock began in February 1864 and was finished within three years.

[Top blue inset caption reads] This is the office of the Deputy Harbour Master, whose . . . — Map (db m135341) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Caisson

Constructed in 1867, the caisson is one of the oldest surviving vessels built by Harland and Wolff.

The caisson is a hollow gate which closed off the entrance to the dock. Shaped like a ship's hull, it is made of wrought iron and hollow . . . — Map (db m135264) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Features of the Dock

Select, turn, listen...

Find out more about how Hamilton Graving Dock worked. Select a channel and turn the handle a few times to play each audio track. 1 Keel blocks 2 Caisson 3 Diver

Time spent by ships in the . . . — Map (db m135275) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — First Port: Views of Belfast

[Excerpts with historical information]

Belfast Harbour Commissioners' Offices The magnificent office building of the Harbour Commissioners, who were responsible for the construction of Hamilton Dock in the 1860s, was first opened in . . . — Map (db m135369) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock By Numbers

Hamilton Graving Dock opened in 1867. It was almost twice the size of No. 2 Graving Dock which had been completed in 1826.

3 million gals The dock holds approximately 3 million gallons of water, the same volume as five and half . . . — Map (db m135405) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock Stone Construction

To ensure good quality work, the commissioners hired a mason specialising in dock construction, who was paid £2 5s 0d per week.

This was over four times the amount a worker in a country mill earned. . . . — Map (db m135284) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock Stone Construction

Only the very best quality stone was used for dock construction.

The Belfast Harbor Commissioners visited the site regularly to inspect progress. . . . — Map (db m135285) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Hamilton Dock: Refurbishment and Restoration

Hamilton Dock was refurbished in 1948, when a new 25-inch (64cm) concrete floor was laid. It remained in use until the 1990s, but then fell into decline.

In 2009, work began to restore the dock, now a NIEA Scheduled Monument and the . . . — Map (db m135402) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Keel Blocks

These blocks originally sat at the bottom of Hamilton Dock. They were used to support ships' hulls.

You can see similar blocks under Nomadic's keel. — Map (db m135404) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Nomadic in Hamilton Dock

Turn and listen... Find out about the dockside scene. Just a few turns of the handle will play the track.

Hamilton Dock It's 1911 - Nomadic is being floated out of Hamilton Dock following her fit our.

1 Titanic in . . . — Map (db m135272) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — On Board SS Nomadic

Built on Queen's Island as a tender ship for the White Star Line, SS Nomadic is most famous for the part she played in the Titanic story.

Based in Cherbourg, France, Nomadic transferred passengers from the quayside to enormous passenger . . . — Map (db m135268) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Operating the [Hamilton] Dock

'Our harbour now stands among the finest in the United Kingdom.' Belfast News Letter, 2 October 1867

Hamilton Dock was filled at high tide and emptied at low tide. [Photo caption reads] Above This . . . — Map (db m135269) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Queen's Island Shipyard / Belfast's Industrial Growth

[Front]

Queen's Island From Pleasure Garden to Shipyard

Edward Harland and Gustav Wolff's shipyard, which would go on to become the most successful in the world, was established in 1861.

[Blue inset caption reads] . . . — Map (db m135321) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — Queen's Island Shipyard / Hamilton Dock

[Front]

Queen's Island From Pleasure Garden to Shipyard

Queen's Island was created in 1847 when slobs from the digging of Victoria Channel were deposited on the Co. Down side of the Lagan Estuary.

Queen's Island was . . . — Map (db m135338) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — The Bridge DeckNomadic

The deck to the front, or fore, of a ship is called the forecastle deck. The term - pronounced 'fok-sel' - is an ancient one that originally referred to defences that were found on a warship.

Only the crew were allowed on the . . . — Map (db m135386) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — The Dockside: A Hive of Activity

The dock was a hive of activity with up to two ships being worked on by large teams of men from the shipyards. The workers stood on wooden platforms called stages.

Brand new ships were also 'fitted-out' in the dock, with their final . . . — Map (db m135397) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Down), Belfast — The Poop DeckNomadic

From the quayside, third-class passengers boarded Nomadic through gates on either side of the poop deck, separated from the first and second-class passengers. Then they descended the stairway to enter the third-class deck.

The hatch . . . — Map (db m135346) HM

Alaska (Fairbanks North Star Borough), Fairbanks — FAI-030 — Immaculate Conception Church
By August, 1904, when a Catholic priest arrived in Fairbanks, all choice lots in the center of town were taken. Father Francis Monroe, a Jesuit missionary, selected land at the edge of town, bordering the Chena River. The first Roman Catholic Church . . . — Map (db m135350) HM
British Columbia (Peace River), Dawson Creek — Alaska Highway / La Route De L’AlaskaCompleted in 1942 / Terminé en 1942 — International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark / Monument Historique International du Génie Civil —
Constructed in just 8 months in 1942, this 2,450 kilometre highway provided an essential transportation link to the northwest of North America during the Second World War, and has since remained a major . . . — Map (db m135256) HM
California (Butte County), Forbestown — Black Bart, the PO8
attacked La Port (sic) – Oroville stage here, July 13, 1888. Frank N. Morse, driver, was repulsed by George Hackett, armed messenger for Wells Fargo Express. Twenty eight stage hold-ups in California 1875-1883 are credited to Black Bart, lone . . . — Map (db m134505) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Importance of Water and Creation of Brite Lake
In 1947 the Tehachapi Soil Conservation District was organized to advise the farm industry. It was apparent by the early 1960s that if agriculture were to continue as economic force in the District, additional water had to be found. In the early . . . — Map (db m135047) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montrose — The Crescenta-Cañada Valley
When the Colonials of the American eastern seaboard were struggling to create and defend man’s most noble achievement in self government, the vast Pacific Southwest was a slumbering frontier. Barely six years before Paul Revere made his famous ride . . . — Map (db m135165) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montrose — The Great Flood of 1934
On this site American Legion Post 288 once stood. The great flood swept through its walls shortly after midnight on New Year’s Day, taking with it 12 local residents. Most had taken refuge inside from the torrential rain and two were dedicated Red . . . — Map (db m134845) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Hollywood — Plummer Park
Part of lands occupied by Señora Francisca Perez under preemption law as early as 1869. Surveyed in 1871 as public lands. Deeded by Señora Perez to Eugene R. Plummer in 1877. U.S. patent issued 1880. Purchased by County of Los . . . — Map (db m135251) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Barker Hotel
The Barker is the last of four hotels to occupy this site. First occupied by the Roseville Hotel-1870, later sold for six-wagons-and-a-mule, replaced by Ross House-1891 and the Western Hotel-1899.

The Barker Hotel & Bar opened-1911 and . . . — Map (db m135428) HM

California (Placer County), Roseville — Incorporation
By 1905, Roseville consisted of a small handful of nondescript buildings huddled closely together around the railroad. Population had stabilized at 250. The Southern Pacific, successors to the Central Pacific Railroad, announced its intention to . . . — Map (db m135430) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Roseville The Beginning
The story of Roseville's "Old Town" had its beginnings in the aftermath of the fabled California gold rush when discouraged gold seekers left the mineral regions to take up farming along the rich creek bottom lands of south western Placer County. . . . — Map (db m135429) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — The SPMW 7221 (SPMW 221) Rotary Snow Plow
The first suecessful rotary plow was designed by Canadian Orang Jull. Jull hired the Leslie Brothers to build the first model with the first tests conducted in the winter of 1883-84. The Leslies soon purchased the manufacturing rights to the plow . . . — Map (db m135381) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — The Wolf Store
This structure, one of the oldest surviving buildings in Riverdale County, was constructed in 1866 and served as a general store along the Southern Emigrant Trail and also as Temecula's post office from 1870 to 1882. Louis Wolf, the proprietor and . . . — Map (db m135398) HM
California (Riverside County), Temecula — Treaty of Temecula
In this adobe, January 5, 1852, Treaty of Peace and Friendship entered into at village of Temecula between United States and San Luis Rey Kahwea, and Cocomcahra Indians. Treaty important factor furthering relations between southern California . . . — Map (db m135363) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — Lincoln Memorial ShrineErected by the Watchorn Family
As did their friends the Smiley brothers, Robert and Alma Watchorn contributed greatly to Redlands’ cultural life. A labor organizer, Commissioner of Immigration at Ellis Island, and oilman who experienced the American dream, Robert as a . . . — Map (db m135263) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Moorish Fountain and Indian Community Laundry
Built in 1808 En beneficio de la humanidad by the Franciscan Padres — Map (db m135280) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara County Courthouse
Has been designated a

National Historic Landmark

This courthouse complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States Of America

The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is a superlative example . . . — Map (db m135167) HM

California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 1037 — Santa Barbara County Courthouse
The Santa Barbara County Courthouse is one of America's finest representations of Spanish-Andalusian architecture in a public structure. It stands as the prized jewel of the county whose people it serves and whose visitors it delights. After . . . — Map (db m135171) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara Mission Lavanderia
This clothes washing basin or lavanderia was built by the Chumash Indians of Santa Barbara Mission village in 1808. Not all missions built such a structure. The Chumash particularly valued cleanliness and worked to construct this lavanderia fed . . . — Map (db m135254) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — The First Community
Near this site, the village of Shisholop, home to 300 to 400 Chumash, once stretched from the beach near the base of Figueroa Street inland past the San Buenaventura Mission. From its beginning, about 1000 AD., Shisholop (meaning . . . — Map (db m135241) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 3e — Cherry Creek Emigrant's SongWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
. . . — Map (db m135352) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 4e — Private Profits and the Public GoodWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Unlike San Francisco, which the Spanish founded as a mission, and Salt Lake City, which the Mormons started as a communal religious utopia, Denver originated as a place to make money. From the beginning, the town aspired to be the supply hub: . . . — Map (db m135357) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 1e — Rocky Mountain FashionWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
“Your ruffle shirts, standing collars and all kinds of fine clothing had better be left in your wardrobe at home. Discard all cotton or linen clothing; adapt yourself at once to woolen and leather; provide yourself with woolen underclothes. . . . — Map (db m135351) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 9e — Take Your PickWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
. . . — Map (db m135315) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — 2e — Yo Soy JoaquinWall Street of the Rockies — Seventeenth Street Denver, Colorado —
Rodolfo Corky Gonzales born in Denver June 18, 1928, son of a migrant worker, helped organize and lead the Chicano civil and human rights movement of the 1960s and '70s. He advocated equality, justice and self-determination for the Chicano/Mexicano . . . — Map (db m135326) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — "Southwest Waterfront Footbridge"
Built in 2004 as part of Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.'s development, this footbridge, connecting the hotel to Washington's Southwest Waterfront, was named and dedicated through a community-wide contest with The Washington Examiner in . . . — Map (db m135434) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The Tidal Basin — River Bottom to ParklandNational Mall and Memorial Parks — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Where you are standing was originally the bottom of the Potomac River. The shoreline roughly paralleled 15th Street, skirted around the Washington Monument which stood almost at the river's edge, and then followed what is now the current route of . . . — Map (db m135435) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-964 — South Ward School Site
In 1873, the first school under public administration in present-day Pinellas County was established in a log structure originally built for the Midway Baptist Church in the area of what is now the Clearwater Municipal Cemetery. In 1884, the school . . . — Map (db m135325) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Ramey FieldNaval Air Station Sanford
Ramey Field Dedicated To LCDR Robert W. Ramey United States Navy 1920 - 1958 Who sacrificed his life on June 2, 1958 saving the lives of his crew members when the A3D aircraft, of which he was pilot, crashed February 6, . . . — Map (db m135185) HM WM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1946 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOrmond/Daytona Beach
Apr. 14 – 160 miles . 1st – Red Byron,’39 Ford; 2nd – Joe Littlejohn ; 3rd – Ed Eng June 30 – 102.4 miles, 1st – Roy Hall, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Mickey Rhodes; 3rd – Gayle Warren — Map (db m135140) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1948 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2 Mile Beach - Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb 15 – 149.6 miles. 1st – Red Byron,’39 Ford; 2nd – Marshall Teagues ; 3rd – Raymond Parks with Bob Flock in relief Aug. 8 – 149.6 miles. 1st – Fonty Flock, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Bill Snowden; 3rd . . . — Map (db m135146) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1949 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 4.3 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Jan. 16 – 201.1 miles . 1st – Marshall Teague, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Speedy Thompson ; 3rd – Crash Waller Inaugural Daytona Strictly Stock Race on 4.15 mile Beach – Road Course July 10 – 166 miles, 1st . . . — Map (db m135150) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1950 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 3.2b Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb. 4 – 102.5 mile Modified Race. . 1st – Gober Sosebee, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Fireball Roberts; 3rd – Red Cummings . Feb. 5 –1 96.8 miles Grand National Race. 1st –Harold Kite, - ’49 Lincoln; 2nd – Red . . . — Map (db m135222) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1951 Daytona Beach Stock Car Races1951 Daytona Beach Stock Car Races — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb. 10 – 159.9 mile Sportsmen’s Race. 1st – Gober Sosebee, ’39 Ford; 2nd – Frankie Schneider; 3rd Tim Flock Feb. 11 –1 59.9 mile Grand National Race. 1st –Marshall Teague., -‘ 51 Hudson; 2nd – Tim Flock, . . . — Map (db m135223) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 1952 Daytona Beach Stock Car RacesOn 4.1 Mile Beach-Road Course — Ormond/Daytona Beach —
Feb. 9, 1952 98.4 Mile Modified - Sportsmen’s Race Modified Finishers 1st – Jag Smith, ’39 Ford; 2nd - Curtis Turner; 3rd – Joe Weatherly. *Tim Flock finished first, but disqualified. Sportsman Finishers 1st (12th overall) . . . — Map (db m135231) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Racing on the Beach 1928Ormond/Daytona Beach
Two months after crashing into surf in his innovative 182 cubic inch twin supercharged V-16 powered “Stutz Black Hawk” Frank Lockhart returns and runs 198.292 mph on first attempt. Approaching Measured Mile at 225 mph for return . . . — Map (db m135139) HM
Idaho (Ada County), Boise — The O'Farrell Cabin
The O'Farrell Cabin Boise's first home and place of worship Built by John O'Farrell 1863 — Map (db m135266) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Griggsville — Skinner HouseCommunity Center
Built 1858 Remodelled 1905 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Restored By the Griggsville Preservation and Restoration Society Open to Public May 30 1982 — Map (db m135374) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Perry — General Grant and the 21st IL Regiment
Gen. U.S. Grant, commander of the 21st Regiment Illinois Volunteers was camped here with his regiment July 8, 1861 — Map (db m135377) HM
Illinois (Pike County), Pittsfield — Welcome to Lake PittsfieldFrom the people of the City of Pittsfield
Lake Pittsfield was built by the City of Pittsfield for water supply purposes as part of the Big Blue Creek Watershed. The first multiple purpose watershed project pursuant to the Watershed Protection and Flood Prevention Act of the United States of . . . — Map (db m135258) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — Arnold House
Named in memory of James G. Arnold, Teacher, Benefactor, Man of God, who:

Organized the First Christian Church in Covington about 1830;

Re-organizd it after it was dispersed by an epidemic of cholera in 1833;

Built a house of . . . — Map (db m135364) HM

Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — Dr. Geo. V. Flaig
Humanitarian who stood on this corner in snow sleet, rain and zero temperature collecting monies to help the unfortunate blind of this community for 30 years. — Map (db m135401) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Acadian HouseMaison Acadienne
ACADIAN HOUSE: A Small Cajun Plantation Building This small Cajun structure dates from the 1830s, and originated on the Mouton Plantation near Carencro, north of Lafayette. The plantation was owned by Francois and Antoine . . . — Map (db m135319) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Naval Monument
(east side) Maryland’s tribute to her loyal sons who served in the United States Navy during the War for the Preservation of the Union. (north side) Port Royal • November 7th, 1861 Monitor & Merrimack • March 9th, 1862 New Orleans . . . — Map (db m135097) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — World War II Marine Divisions Memorial
Dedicated to the U.S. Marine Divisions (FMF) World War II To all those who made the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their country by the Maryland Chapter First Marine Division Association 1996 Flag Pole Erected by William Fosnaught, Jr. . . . — Map (db m135100) WM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Autre - St. Mary’s PlantationHome of Caleb Polleckefield Litton: 1720-1763
Caleb Litton’s “Plantation” The Headstones in this cemetery are what remain of a family graveyard begun by Caleb Litton and his descendants on a 472-acre farm. Litton was one of the very first settlers of what today is . . . — Map (db m135425) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Managing The LineThree Notch Trail
William F. Chesley began his railroad career as a telegraph operator for the Kansas City Southern Railroad in 1906. He worked every position on the line from track worker to manager. Mr. Chesley returned home to St. Mary's County and in 1924 . . . — Map (db m135327) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Village of Charlotte HallThree Notch Trail
The Village of Charlotte Hall derived its name from the school located there, authorized by the Maryland General Assembly in 1774. The area was originally known as "Ye Coole Springs" for the purported healing qualities of the drinking water the . . . — Map (db m135328) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Charlotte Hall — Ye Coole SpringsThree Notch Trail
Legends of healing waters in St. Mary's came from the Native Americans and the colonists who believed in the therapeutic properties of the fresh water springs at Charlotte Hall. Around 1698, Governor Thomas Nicholson appointed trustees to purchase . . . — Map (db m135329) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Amish CommunityThree Notch Trail
The Amish community in St. Mary’s is the largest of three Amish settlements in Maryland. The community is located primarily along MD Routes 6 and 236 in New Market, Charlotte Hall and neighboring Charles County. The Amish moved to the area in 1940 . . . — Map (db m135330) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Extending the RailThree Notch Trail
The federal government purchased the Washington, Brandywine and Point Lookout Railroad, then known as the Farmers' Railroad, in 1942. During WWII, the Navy extended the railroad from Forest Hall to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station to transport . . . — Map (db m135332) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Forest HallThree Notch Trail
The Forest Hall store served as a sidetrack for passenger pick up and train turn around before the U.S. Navy began management of the railroad in 1942 and extended the line to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. The background picture is from the . . . — Map (db m135333) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Three Notch RoadThree Notch Trail
Three Notch Road has served as the main highway between northern St. Mary's and Point Lookout since the days of Native Americans and later the English colonists. The name is likely attributed to a 1704 law that stipulated "three notches of equal . . . — Map (db m135335) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Three Notch TrailJohn V. Baggett Park
In 2003 the Commissioners of St. Mary's County authorized beginning a rails-to-trails project in St. Mary's County. The Three Notch Trail is a 10' wide multi-use trail constructed on the former railroad right-of-way, which runs south from . . . — Map (db m135336) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Tobacco BarnsThree Notch Trail
In 17th-century Maryland up until the late 1990's tobacco was the agricultural mainstay in Southern Maryland. Tobacco barns were a critical part of this farming effort, designed to air-cure tobacco plants inside, with abundant ventilation doors on . . . — Map (db m135334) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Mechanicsville — Village of MechanicsvilleThree Notch Trail
The Village of Mechanicsville is a small, unincorporated community established about 1850 and is known for its agriculture, many small businesses, churches, schools, community gathering places and historic homes. In the early days of the . . . — Map (db m135331) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Princeton — West VillageNational Register Historic District - October 16, 2009
Samuel Woods held Princeton's first school in his home in 1764. Bullock's Stand, Richardson's Tavern, a blacksmith, wheel wright and shoe factory were established by 1830. The Methodist Church was built in 1840 and the village became known as . . . — Map (db m135271) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 39 — British Colonial Farm 1774 - 1780Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
John Askin arrived in America in 1758 at the age of 20. Upon arrival, he joined the British army and was stationed at Albany, in the New York colony. There he began a lucrative trading business in the Great Lakes region. Askin arrived at Fort . . . — Map (db m135161) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 40 — French House Ruin, 1765 - 1781Mackinaw City Historical Pathway
Fort Michilimackinac's population grew after British arrival in 1761. After the successful Indian attack on the fort on June 2, 1763, British authorities moved much of the fur-trading community outside the fort. Started in 1765, a village . . . — Map (db m135166) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 44 — Historic Mackinaw CityMackinaw City Historical Pathway
Map (db m135274) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 42 — Tourism at MackinacMackinaw City Historical Pathway
Before the railroads were extended to Mackinaw City in 1881, the Straits area remained isolated and its activities were limited to commercial pursuits such as lumbering and serving the expanding shipping industry. Once land routes were cut . . . — Map (db m135209) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 43 — Winter at MackinacMackinaw City Historical Pathway
When the gales of November blow into Mackinaw City, its residents prepare for the long, hard winter that will bury the beautiful sand beaches in deep snowdrifts and freeze the Straits from shore to shore. Northern Michigan winters more closely . . . — Map (db m135221)
Michigan (Delta County), Escanaba — L881 — Ludington Hotel
In 1864, E. Gaynor built the Gaynor House hotel, which he renamed Ludington House in 1871. after lumberman Nelson Ludington. In the late 1800s proprietor John Christie enlarged the hotel and renamed the establishment the New Ludington Hotel. An . . . — Map (db m135301) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Memphis — L824B — "The Thing"
Thomas Clegg (1863-1939) and his English-born father, John, built “The Thing,” the first recorded self-propelled vehicle in Michigan (and perhaps the country) in 1884-85. The Thing, driven by a single cylinder steam engine with a tubular . . . — Map (db m135276) HM
Nevada (Esmeralda County), Dyer — 133 — Fish Lake Valley
This valley was settled when the Palmetto Mining District was discovered in 1866. In the 1870's the Griffing & Wyman's, as well as the Pacific Borax Works, were extracting borax at Fish Lake. The Carson and Columbus Stage Line ran northward to . . . — Map (db m135291) HM
Nevada (Eureka), Carlin — 65 — Palisade
Located in the tank-like depths of Palisade (12-mile) Canyon, Palisade first named Palisades - surveyed and laid out by the Central Pacific Railroad in February, 1870. During the 1870's it rivaled Elko and Carlin as a departure point on the C.P. for . . . — Map (db m135302) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Boscawen — Heroum GestaFides Justitia
(Front/West side) Hannah Duston Mary Neff Samuel Leonardson March 30 1697 Mid-night (Front base of monument) David Blanchard W. Concord, N.H. (Right/South side) Statua Know ye that we with many . . . — Map (db m135432) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), New Castle — Frost Cemetery
The Frost Cemetery was a private family burying ground passed down through the Frost and Bell families for many generations. The families lived near the Piscataqua River and the cemetery was located at the end of their properties near the . . . — Map (db m135323) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), New Castle — Mines Building
Portsmouth Harbor was protected by underwater mine fields during both wars. During World War II, this protection was supplemented by an anti-submarine net which stretched across the mouth of the harbor from nearby Fort Stark to Fort Foster in . . . — Map (db m135299) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), New Castle — Portcullis
Replaced by the New Hampshire Daughters of the American Revolution commemorating the capture of the fort by New Hampshire Patriots December 14, 1774. Dedicated August 10, 1974 — Map (db m135324) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), New Castle — Walbach Tower
Nearby Walbach Tower is one of several built along the Atlantic coast during the War of 1812. Its builder, John de Barth Walbach, came to America from France in 1797. He joined the U.S. Army the following year and rose in rank from a lieutenant . . . — Map (db m135298) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), New Castle — Walbach Tower
From Colonial times through World War II to the present day, Fort Point has played a strategic role in the defense of our coastline. Walbach Tower, built in 1814 during the War of 1812, was one of Fort Point's more interesting but mostly . . . — Map (db m135300) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Houghtaling House
Built before 1770 by Teunis Houghtaling, born May 18, 1740 - died May 20, 1806. Listed on National Register June 28, 2004. — Map (db m135121) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Andrew Hannay
Near here Andrew Hannay raised a company of volunteers October 1777 to oppose invasion of Burgoyne who surrendered before their arrival — Map (db m135130) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Dormansville War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of Dormansville NY who served in the wars of our country — Map (db m135134) WM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Schoolhouse No. 10
Est. as early as 1826. Replaced 1867. Additions 1892, 1911. Fondly known as “Brookview Academy". Current bldg. erected 1929. — Map (db m135120) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Academy
This house was the Chesterville Academy built about 1800. Gabriel Pinney, head master — Map (db m135154) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Baptist Church
Organized at Chesterville in 1800. Roswell Beckwith was first pastor. — Map (db m135162) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Beardsley House
Home of William Beardsley. Here was held first town meeting of Westerlo, April 4, 1815. — Map (db m135143) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Business
Built c. 1830. Family run store, post office, tin shop gas station c. 1850 -1943. Long tenured postmaster C.F. Anderson 1910 -1943. — Map (db m135157) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Grant & Eadie
Early storekeepers. Made potash at Chesterville, 1798. — Map (db m135151) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Hotel
Three-floor hotel here 1800’s. Owned by Henry Latham 1876-84. Destroyed by fire 1897. Rebuilt two-floor hotel Haverly House. Later apartments. Razed c. 1953. — Map (db m135156) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Indian Trail
Old Indian trail led through this valley to the Switzkill. Indian camp ground near here. — Map (db m135092) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Myers Farm
Philip Myers of Germany in 1763 built a log house at Chesterville, married a daughter of Nicholas Stoddard and died 1813 — Map (db m135149) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Reformed Church
First church in town. Organized 1793. Original site five miles south of here — Map (db m135148) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Westerlo
Town formed March 16, 1815 from Coeymans and Rensselaerville. Named for Rev. Eilardus Westerlo of Albany. — Map (db m135147) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Mohican Blessing Fountain
Thé Mohican Blessing Fountain was erected by the New Lebanon Garden Club in 1941 to give thanks to the Mohican Indians for their gift of the healing waters of the thermal mineral springs to all people forever. The Mohicans were the original . . . — Map (db m135096) HM
New York (Kings County), Brooklyn — William Jay GaynorMayor of New York City — 1910-1913 —
William Jay Gaynor Lawyer-Jurist-Executive Defender of Civil Liberties Born Oriskany NY February 23 1851 - Died September 10 1913 - Justice of the Supreme Court of the State of New York 1894 to 1909 – Mayor of the City of New York 1910 . . . — Map (db m135174) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Jefferson Avenue
Jefferson Avenue was initially settled in the late 1800s by German immigrants, Irish immigrants followed. In 1888 Jefferson Avenue was formed by the connection of Frances and North Francis Streets, and renamed in honor of President Thomas . . . — Map (db m135317) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — RochesterAn American “Boom Town”
On March 21, 1817, Rochesterville officially became a village of 655 acres and 700 inhabitants. A few months later on July 4, construction began on the Erie Canal - the man-made channel that would soon transform this wilderness settlement into . . . — Map (db m135313) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Willie Walker Lightfoot“Keeper of the Avenue”
Willie Walker Lightfoot lived and worked on Jefferson Avenue from 1954 to 2001. Athlete, community leader, father, elected official, friend, grandfather, musician, mentor... for over 50 years, Willie was a strong voice for SouthWest Rochester, . . . — Map (db m135320) HM
New York (Nassau County), Westbury — House of Ambrose Clark360 Post Avenue - 1903
Built by Ambrose Clark, an heir to the Singer sewing machine fortune and prominent race horse breeder and owner.

Formerly the Westbury War Memorial Community Center, 1946 and the Westbury Memorial Public Library, 1947

Currently the . . . — Map (db m135406) HM

New York (New York County), New York — Chelsea Historic District and District ExtensionNew York Landmarks Preservation Foundation
Chelsea was developed from the 1830’s to the 1850’s, largely by Clement Clark Moore, who owned the land on which it was built. The result is an unusually uniform and elegant residential neighborhood in Greek Revival and Italianate styles. The . . . — Map (db m135160) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fort George
. . . — Map (db m135248) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Greg Marius Court
This basketball court is named in honor of Gregory Marius (1958-2017), founder of the popular Entertainers Basketball Classic at Rucker Park. Born in Harlem on March 18, 1958, Gregory Alexander Marius was a lifelong Harlem resident. Marius . . . — Map (db m135337) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Holcombe Rucker Park3.05 acres
Holcombe Rucker (1926-1965) is remembered here for the major basketball tournaments he founded at this court, and for the generations of players that emerged under his wing. Born and raised in Manhattan and schooled at Benjamin Franklin High School, . . . — Map (db m135297) HM
New York (New York County), New York — John Ambrose StatueThe Battery
This monument honors engineer John Wolfe Ambrose (1838-1899), whose vision and persistence resulted in the deep sea channel to New York Harbor, which improved the visibility of the Port of New York, making New York City the heart of commerce in the . . . — Map (db m135246) HM
New York (New York County), New York — M’Finda Kalunga GardenSarah D. Roosevelt Park
The M’Finda Kalunga Garden is named in memory of an African-American burial ground that was located on nearby Chrystie Street between Rivington and Stanton Streets. Dutch colonists brought the first enslaved Africans to the New Amsterdam colony . . . — Map (db m135368) HM
New York (New York County), New York — New York City Hall Park
A medallion set into the pavement at the southern entrance of New York City Hall Park celebrating its history. Medallion perimeter: "It must not be forgotten that the park is still the refuge of the people, the cradle of liberty" - Henry . . . — Map (db m135218) HM
New York (New York County), New York — StonefieldMeg Webster
Large stones were chosen from quarries in New York State and northeastern Pennsylvania. Each stone was selected for its special shape and unusual sculptural qualities. Some are colorful, some are concave, some are craggy. One is very tall, and . . . — Map (db m135208)
New York (New York County), New York — Sugar Hill Luminaries LawnHighbridge Park
The rock escarpment overlooking Harlem Valley forms the spine of northern Manhattan. Perched on this rise is the neighborhood of Sugar Hill, a part of Harlem which became home to many leading members of African-American society during the first half . . . — Map (db m135278) HM
New York (New York County), New York — This Ancient Cannon
This Ancient Cannon was exhumed in 1892 on the site of No. 55 Broadway on the corner of Exchange Alley or the highway leading to the fortification called Oyster Pasty 1695-1783 Presented to the City of New York by William Henry Mairs --------------- . . . — Map (db m135249) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Berlin — Came to America
In May 1834, the first Guttermuth and Jordan families arrived from Bavaria, Germany and settled in this part of the country. This tablet is placed here in their memory by their descendants in the year 1934.Map (db m135110) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Berlin — The Evangelican Lutheran Church of West Berlin
The original church was completed in 1862. The Gutermuths (Goodermote) and the Jordans (Verton) were among some of the first German settlers to establish this church. The German language was spoken until 1910. In 1967 fire damaged the rear portion . . . — Map (db m135102) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Hoags Corners — Hoags Corners1786-1986
Many water-powered mills operated in this early industrial hamlet during the Nineteenth Century — Map (db m135113) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Stephentown — Stephentown War Memorial
In memory of all who served from Stephentown (names not transcribed)Map (db m135293) WM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — 90 First Street
Built in the early 1800's, 90 First Street purchased by Daniel Robinson and his wife, the former Lucinda Conkling, in 1852. Known for his business acumen and tenacity, Mr. Robinson was the force behind the creation of the Troy to Boston Railroad. . . . — Map (db m135237) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — 92 First Street
Built in the mid-1800's for Maria Britton, the building was sold to Ralph and Elizabeth Starkes in 1854 where they raised their four children. Elizabeth Starkes was educated at the Troy Female Seminary. Ralph Starkes, descendant of Revolutionary War . . . — Map (db m135239) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Edith McCrea House
This lot was formed when Jacob D. Vanderheyden, an original settler of Troy, surveyed and subdivided his property in 1787. After passing through numerous owners, 88 First Street was used in 1833 as a home and office by Dr. James Thorn, a noted . . . — Map (db m135236) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Emma Hart Willard
In honor of Emma Hart Willard who on this spot established AD 1821 the first permanent seminary in America for the advanced education of women. Erected by her pupils and friends AD 1895 Her most enduring monument the . . . — Map (db m135211) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Julia Howard Bush Memorial Center
The "Front Door” of the Russell Sage College Campus, Julia Howard Bush Memorial Center is a prominent and nationally significant Greek Revival building constructed in 1836 by architect James Harrison Dakin. Built as the First Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m135115) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — On This Site
The first house of worship in Troy was erected 1792 by the First Presbyterian Church. Present church built 1832 — Map (db m135116) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Rensselaer County Spanish-American War MemorialFreedom Patriotism Humanity
Erected by the County of Rensselaer commemorating the valor and patriotism of the men of this county who served in the war with Spain, Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition 1898 - 1902. — Map (db m135210) WM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Second Ward World War II Memorial
In honor of the men and women from the Second Ward who served in World War II — Map (db m135242) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Historic Vale Cemetery / Founders & Builders
Historic Vale Cemetery Vale Cemetery opened in 1857 as a non-denominational, not-for-profit cemetery and a classic example of the Rural Cemetery Movement. The Rural Cemetery Movement envisioned cemeteries as public places with parks, lakes, . . . — Map (db m135164) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Mother Of FraternitiesUnion College
. . . — Map (db m135007) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady ALCO War Memorial
This memorial erected on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the locomotive industry in this city and is dedicated to all Schenectadians who died for their country. Dedicated September 24, 1948 — Map (db m134991) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Vale Cemetery
A rural cemetery est. 1857. At rest are early settlers, veterans, notable women, politicians, industrialists, African Americans, inventors. — Map (db m135163) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 15-1 — Serpent Mound
One of North America’s most spectacular effigy mounds, Serpent Mound is a gigantic earthen sculpture representative of a snake. Built on a spur of rock overlooking Ohio Brush Creek around 1000 A.D. by the Fort Ancient culture, the earthwork . . . — Map (db m135289) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — Adams County Heritage Center
This structure erected 1835 as Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church. Congregation organized in 1812. Many members active participants in Underground Railroad. Church closed 1894. Oscar C. Roebuck operated mortuary here 1909 ’till 1936. Then used . . . — Map (db m135304) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 1-1 — Bradford Tavern1804
The Bradford Tavern, West Union’s first inn built circa 1804, served the Maysville-Zanesville stagecoach route and such travelers as Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and Santa Anna. After 1840, it was continued as the Marlatt House and, later, the . . . — Map (db m135307) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 18-1 — Cowboy Copas / The Oklahoma Cowboy
Country music writer and recording star Lloyd Estel Copas was born on July 15, 1913 on Moon Hollow near Blue Creek in Adams County, Ohio. Reared by musical parents, he learned to play the guitar and fiddle at an early age and began a singing . . . — Map (db m135306) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 14-1 — Lafferty Funeral Collection
The William Lafferty Memorial Funeral and Carriage Collection shows the development of the funeral business since the mid-1800s through an exhibit of caskets, funeral clothing, and hearses collected and preserved by James William . . . — Map (db m135347) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 19-1 — Pioneer County Seat / Camp Hamer
A short distance south of Zane’s Trace, West Union was established by an act of the Ohio Legislature on April 13, 1803, as the seat of Adams County. West Union was surveyed in the spring of the following year, and became important stagecoach . . . — Map (db m135312) HM
Ohio (Adams County), West Union — 16-1 — West Union Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Reverend John Graham
Members of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church settled in Adams County as early as 1797. The West Union congregation was organized in 1812, and a lot was purchased for the construction of a public house of worship. This brick church, . . . — Map (db m135303) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Battery F Ripley / Ripley Cannon
Battery F, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, was organized in Ripley by Major Daniel T. Cockerill. It was heavily engaged at the Battle of Stone River, Tennessee, January 1, 1863. Aiding in the repulse of repeated attacks “with great slaughter,” . . . — Map (db m135379) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 7-8 — Camp Ripley / Camp Ammen1861–1864
With news of hostilities at Fort Sumter in South Carolina, Ripley men formed one of Ohio’s first military units and established Camp Ripley on what was the 12-acre Ripley Fairgrounds. Chosen as Captain was West Point graduate Jacob Ammen. His unit . . . — Map (db m135348) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — Liberty MonumentThe Men Who Wrought For Liberty and The Men Who Fought For Liberty
(west-facing tablet) The men who wrought for Liberty were the forerunners of the Abolition Movement culminating in the Civil War. • They were the intermediaries between the anti-slavery men of the American Revolution and the anti-slavery . . . — Map (db m135396) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 4-8 — Ripley / The John P. Parker House
Ripley was incorporated as the village of Staunton in 1812. Its name was changed in 1816 to honor General Eleazer Wheelock Ripley, a hero of the War of 1812. In the years before railroads. Ripley was principal Ohio River shipping center. Also . . . — Map (db m135431) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Ripley — 8-8 — Ripley and the Ohio River
A part of the Virginia Military District, Ripley was founded in 1812 by Colonel James Poage, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. Originally named Staunton, after Poage’s home town in Virginia, the village comprised 1,000 acres along the Ohio river. . . . — Map (db m135427) HM

277 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 77
Paid Advertisement