Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

474 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 274
 
Evang.-luth. Stadtkirche / Protestant Lutheran City Church Marker image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 2016
Evang.-luth. Stadtkirche / Protestant Lutheran City Church Marker
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Kitzingen — Evang.-luth. Stadtkirche / Protestant Lutheran City Church
Ehemalige Ursulinenkirche Saalbau mit barocker Westfassade 1686-1689 von Antonio Petrini erbaut.

-

(English translation:)

Former Ursuline Church, hall-style construction with a baroque west facade; built by . . . — Map (db m136552) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bamberg), Bamberg — Franziskanerkirch / Franciscan Church
Hier stand die Franziskanerkirch mit Kloster, früherer Sitz der Tempelherren, die Kirche wurde im Jahre 1812 abgebrochen.

-

(English translation:)

Here stood the Franciscan church and monastery, formerly . . . — Map (db m136549) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — Arrival of the Carmelite Order

To commemorate the arrival of the Carmelite Order in Ireland Leighlinbridge 1271

Jubilee 2000 ———————— Comoradh ar theacht na Mbrathar mban go Heirinn . . . — Map (db m136334) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — Brian Mulroney Ancestral Home Visit

Planted 12 July 1991 by the Right Honourable Brian Mulroney Prime Minister of Canada to mark the occasion of his visit to his ancestral home. . . . — Map (db m136332) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — Cardinal Patrick Francis Joseph Moran(1830-1911)
. . . — Map (db m136351) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — Culm Crusher

Now part of our industrial heritage, culm crushers are remnants of the coal mining industry in the Coal Measures Hills of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Concentrated mostly in the areas around Old Leighlin and Castlecomer, they were a . . . — Map (db m136345) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — 5 — Gairdín cuimhneachain / Garden of Remembrance

Déantar cuimhneachán ar go leor daoine áitiúla móra le rá anseo. Ach bealach ar leith atá sa Mheilteoir Colmais chun comóradh a dhéanamh ar shaol laethúil mhuintir eile an tsráidbhaile.

D'úsáid siad an chloch ollmhór ar chúis . . . — Map (db m136446) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — 6 — Gairdín na nDealbh / Sculpture Garden

Déantar cuimhneamh i nGairdín na nDealbh ar thriúr de na mic ba mhó le rá i Leithghlinn an Droichid: John Tyndall, Comhalta den Chumann Ríoga, arbh é an chéad duine a chruthaigh gurb ann don larmhairt Cheaptha Teasa, an Cairdinéal . . . — Map (db m136426) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — John Tyndall(1820-1893) — Man of Science —

The story of John Tyndall is one of courage, passion and idealism. A story of the highest personal success achievable by any person of humble beginnings in his time. — Map (db m136381) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — Myles Walter Keogh(1840-1876)

The Colonel from Leighlin who died in one of the greatest battles to grip the public imagination, The Battle of the Little Big Horn or what became known as Custer's Last Stand. — Map (db m136355) WM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — Nurse Margaret Kehoe

In Memory Of Nurse Margaret Kehoe Orchard, Leighlinbridge. Born on 17th March 1867 who was shot dead while carrying out her duties at The South Dublin Union (St James Hospital) on Easter Monday April 24th . . . — Map (db m136335) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — Sisters of Mercy1910 - 2010

A Tribute to the Sisters of Mercy in Leighlin in Appreciation of their service to the community since 1910 — Map (db m136331) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — The Tyndall WayAn Sli Tyndall

From 1837-39 John Tyndall and his sister, Emma travelled the River Barrow towpath to Ballinabranna school, 4 miles distant. On the way they would occasionally join with their teacher, John Conwill who lived near the towpath at Rathornan and . . . — Map (db m136347) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — welcome to leighlinbridge - the garden village

Leighlinbridge enjoys a range of gardens, built and designed by the local community to commemorate various aspects of village life over the years.

The Millenium Garden, located on Ballyknockan Hill, was built to celebrate the New . . . — Map (db m136384) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Carlow), Leighlinbridge — World War I Memorial1914 - 1918

[County Carlow Roll of Honored Dead] — Map (db m136343) WM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kilkenny), Kilkenny — Halla an Bhaile / The Tholsel

Halla an Bhaile Ó dá fhocal sa sean-Bhéarla, "tol" agus "sael", a chiallaíonn 'halla cánach', a thagann ainm an fhoirgnimh is suntasaí ar an tSráid Ard.

Tógadh Halla an Bhaile thart ar 1578 agus atógadh i 1761 é. D'fhreastail . . . — Map (db m136706) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kilkenny), Kilkenny — Teach Archer / Archer House

Teach Martin Archer, a bhfuil a arnas le [illegible words] scríbhinne

Insignia Martin Archer...Kilkenniensis ————————————— The house of . . . — Map (db m136515) HM

Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Sarcophagus LidAdorned With a Gorgon's Head
This Sarcophagus lid is decorated at both ends by mythological Gorgon heads in relief. Marble The Late Roman period (2nd - 3rd centuries CE)Map (db m136545) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Caesarea Nymphaeum
The nymphaeum was the public fountain that stood at the center of ancient Caesarea as one of the city's main monuments, and was situated at the intersection where the city's main street meets the Herodian port. The nymphaeum had a decorative . . . — Map (db m136550) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Chariot-RacesThe Carceres
From the starting gates (carceres), chariots dashed counterclockwise on a seven-lap race whose finishing line was situated in front of the officials' tribune. The sharp curve at the turning posts (meta prima and meta secunda), . . . — Map (db m136054) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Governor's Palace Baths
This bathhouse is the only important remain of the private wing of the Byzantine governor's palace, almost entirely destroyed by the construction of the medieval fortifications. — Map (db m136543) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Harbor "Sebastos"
The construction of the harbor was a far reaching enterprise, involving artificial islands built in the open sea and serving as bases for piers and breakwaters. Apparently, the raw materials and technology came with the Roman engineers sent by . . . — Map (db m136547) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Palace Vaults
These four long, parallel vaults, opening onto the west through a portico, first served as substructures of the Roman financial procurator's palace. In a later stage, a large ornamented hall was added in front of the vaults converted into warehouses. — Map (db m136542) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Birthplace of Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora
En esta casa nacio Manuel Gutierrez Zamora Agosto 24 de 1813 English translation: In this house was born Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora August 24, 1813 — Map (db m136433) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Birthplace of Salvador Díaz Mirón
En esta casa nacio Salvador Diaz Miron el 14 de dicembre de 1853. English translation: In this house was born Salvador Díaz Mirón on December 14, 1853. — Map (db m136438) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Captain Fernando Siliceo y Torres Merchant Marine Academy
Escuela Náutica Mercante Cap. Alt. Fernando Siliceo y Torres En el marco del centenario de la fundación de esta honorable escuela, un reconocimiento perenne a los Capitanes Fernando Siliceo y Torres y Marcelino Tuero Molina por su . . . — Map (db m136557) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Commemoration of 100 Years of Mexican Marine Unions
1915 2015 Homenaje a los hombres que tuvieron la visión de crear la grandeza de esta organización. Conmemoracion de cien años de sindicalismo marítimo 15/Febrero/1915 Union de Marineros y Fogoneros del Golfo de Mexico Presidente . . . — Map (db m136397) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Death of Aurelio Monfort
El H. Ayuntamiento de Veracruz rinde homenaje al policía municipal "Aurelio Monfort" caído heroicamente en cumplimiento de su deber para con la patria Victima de las balas del ejercito invasor el 21 de abril de 1914 Noviembre de 1982 . . . — Map (db m136517) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Founding of Villa Rica de la Veracruz
Villa Rica de la Veracruz 475 Años 1519-1994 Primer Ayuntamiento de América Continental Este monumento que levanta aquí el H. Ayuntamiento de la Historica y Heroica Ciudad de Veracruz Para conmemorar los 475 años de la fundación de . . . — Map (db m136463) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Lebanese Immigrants to Mexico
En memoria de los Emigrantes Libaneses que llegaron a México a fines del siglo XIX y la primera mitada del siglo XX. Los nombres que aparecen en este muro fueron proporcionados por los integrantes de la colectividad mexicana de . . . — Map (db m136248) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Luz Nava
1953 1956 H. Ayuntamiento de Veracruz La Institucion de la Superacion Ciudadana rinde homenaje a la desaparecida profesora Luz Nava como reconocimiento a su generosidad y a las obras humanitarias que realizo de las cuales es ejemplo el . . . — Map (db m136442) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Mail and Telegraph Building
Correos y Telegrafos El edificio de Correos y Telégrafos forma parte del conjunto arquitectónico de inmuebles proyectados a fines del siglo XIX sobre los terrenos ganados al mar, estas obras fueron inauguradas el 6 de marzo de 1902 . . . — Map (db m136448) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora
En esta casa murió Manuel Gutierrez Zamora. Marzo 21 de 1881. English translation: In this house died Manuel Gutiérrez Zamora. March 21, 1881. — Map (db m136398) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Monument to Spanish Exiles in Mexico
España 1939 ∙ Mexico 1989 Gracias Mexico Emigracion Republicana Española Junio 1989 Pueblo libre de Mexico: Como en otro tiempo por la mar salada, te va un rio español de sangre roja, de generosa sangre desbordada. Pero . . . — Map (db m136464) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — Rafael Solana Salcedo
En esta casa nacio el 7 de Agosto de 1915 Rafael Solana Salcedo Dramaturgo y periodista Homenaje de la peña taurina que lleva su nombre Agosto 7 de 1990 English translation: In this house was born on August 7, 1915 . . . — Map (db m136556) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Central Square, Municipal Palace and Cathedral
Zócalo, Palacio Municipal y Catedral 500 Años Veracruz ∙ Puerta de Mar ∙ 1519-2019 Esta es la plaza fundacional de Veracruz. Desde sus orígenes y durante la época colonial fue una explanada frecuentemente utilizada para . . . — Map (db m136401) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Convent of San Agustín
Convento de San Agustín El convento de la Compañía de Jesús fue de las primeras construcciones en mampostería de la Nueva Veracruz, se inició su obra en 1625. Los jesuitas fundaban colegios para educar y formar jóvenes entre ellos los . . . — Map (db m136555) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Hemicycle to Juárez
Hemiciclo a Juárez “Ahoguemos nuestras discordias y que un mismo interés nos una, la independencia de Mexico; una misma bandera nos guie, la de la Republica Mexicana.” Discurso pronunciado por Don Benito Juarez, el 31 de . . . — Map (db m136553) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Plaza of the Republic
Plaza de la República 500 Años Veracruz ∙ Puerta de Mar ∙ 1519-2019 Es en el año 2014 que se define adosarla longitudinalmente a los edificios porfirianos, generando un gran parque lineal de más de 320 metros de longitud, . . . — Map (db m136521) HM
Mexico, Veracruz (Municipality of Veracruz) — The Venustiano Carranza Lighthouse
Faro Venustiano Carranza La dirección de faros conocida en la actualidad como el Faro Venustiano Carranza fue proyectado y realizado por dos ingenieros, Salvador Echegaray y Lattine. Forma parte de los edificios que junto don la . . . — Map (db m136249) HM
Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — In Memory of the Bosak Family
Pamięci Rodziny Bosaków Mieszkańców Kazimierza לזכר בני משפחת בוסק תושבי . . . — Map (db m135927) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Bertha Pleasant Williams LibraryRosa L. Parks Avenue Branch
Bertha Pleasant Williams Library Rosa L. Parks Avenue Branch has been placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks & Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission October 25, 2018 — Map (db m136278) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Saint Johns — Lyman DamOn The Colorado River
The original dam at this site was destroyed in the spring floods of April, 1915. With the loss of eight lives and severe damage to farmlands. It was rebuilt with loans from the state of Arizona. — Map (db m136234) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Moraga — Hacienda de las Flores
In 1857, Lot No. 1, a quarter section of Rancho Laguna De Los Palos Colorados was bought by a squatter, Jesse Williams, from Jose de Jesus Moraga. In 1906, the land was then purchased by Manuel Lucas and 10 years later, 20 acres were sold to . . . — Map (db m136516) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — Haggard House
The first thing I remember knowing was a lonesome whistle blowing And a youngun's dream of growing up to ride On a freight train leaving town not knowing where I'm bound And no one could change my mind but Mama tried -From Mama Tried, . . . — Map (db m136236) HM
California (Kern County), Tehachapi — Early Settlements in The Tehachapi AreaOak Creek, Williamsburg, Greenwich, Tehachapi
Green Street was named for Peter D. Greene, who came to the Tehachapi Area in 1856, when he set up camp in Mormon Gulch near Tehachapi where he prospected for gold (named after a company of Mormons who had previously prospected for gold there.) He . . . — Map (db m136213) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — The West Side of Main Street
From the late 1860's to the present day businesses have come and gone in Upper Lake. At the time of the 1924 fire the concrete building at 9449 Main was Doc Niderost's Home Pharmacy complete with soda fountain. It not only survived the fire . . . — Map (db m136514) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — An Unforgettable Day1999 U.S. Women’s World Cup Team
On July 10, 1999, the U.S. women’s soccer team secured a win for the ages at the Rose Bowl. On a sweltering day before a sellout crowd of 90,185 — the largest ever to watch a women’s-only event — the U.S. posted a 5-4 shootout . . . — Map (db m136525) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 1854 Flagpole
1854 Flagpole The original flagpole was constructed from a single Oregon pine tree reaching a height of 113 feet. When first erected in the 1860's during a patriotic “Flag War” with the Central Pacific Railroad, it was considered . . . — Map (db m136275) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Eagle Theatre
Eagle Theatre Est. 1849. This replica is on the site of the original Eagle Theatre. Built in 1849, it was the first structure in California constructed specifically as a theatre. The Theatre was a canvas covered timber structure with a false . . . — Map (db m136274) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site
First Transcontinental Railroad Groundbreaking Site At this location on January 8, 1863, Governor Stanford surrounded by politicians and locals, announced the start of the United States’ first transcontinental railroad. You are standing at . . . — Map (db m136272) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Jane Norris
Jane Norris 1832-1899 On April 11, 1865, a Sacramento woman hatched a secret plan to celebrate the end of the Civil War. Upon learning of Robert E. Lee's surrender to Northern troops, Jane Norris marched to the state capitol's construction . . . — Map (db m136563) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento City Cemetery / People of the Cemetery
Sacramento City Cemetery Welcome to Sacramento's Historic City Cemetery. Established in 1849, it fulfilled the needs of a rapidly growing city. It is located on some of the highest ground in the city to protect it from the annual flooding of . . . — Map (db m136280) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento's Original Level
As you gaze down, you look back in time at Sacramento's original level. The building that once stood here was probably raised in the 1860s, creating this courtyard and providing access to hollow sidewalk segments. Imagine how easily flood waters . . . — Map (db m136276) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 173408 — Theodora Tiffee Purkitt, M.D.
. . . — Map (db m136562) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Veteran of Foreign Wars Memorial
To those gallant hero’s who sacrificed their lives that we might live. — Map (db m136561) WM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Midori Hotelc. 1928
Formerly Hotel Lafayette

This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places Uptown Tenderloin Historic District — Map (db m136519) HM

California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — Alaska Flight 261 Memorial
January 31, 2000 at 4:22 PM, Alaska flight 261 ended off Anacapa Island. The flight was en route from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to San Francisco and Seattle. This monument honors and remembers for all time the eighty-eight passengers and crew members . . . — Map (db m136211) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 37 — Hueneme Slough
W. B. Moranda Park was constructed over the former Hueneme Slough, or lagoon. High tides created this 8-acre body of water surrounded by cattails (tules) making it a haven for water fowl. The Ventura County Railroad crossed the slough on a trestle . . . — Map (db m136194) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 57 — Point Hueneme LighthouseHueneme: “Resting Place”
As early as 1857, the need for a lighthouse at Point Hueneme to mark the eastern Santa Barbara Channel entrance was recognized. In March 1873 Congress appropriated funds for a light station and a 60-acre lighthouse reservation at Point Hueneme. In . . . — Map (db m136203) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — The Paving Stone Archaeological SiteVirginia Avenue, SE
Diagonal Virginia Avenue, SE and rectangular Virginia Avenue Park are two of the many features that characterize the L'Enfant Plan. Eventually, cut granite block paving stones were installed on Virginia Avenue, SE and most likely due to the . . . — Map (db m136584) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Cdr. Jim HallHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to Cdr. Jim Hall And all Prisoners of War And Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136101) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Cdr. Peter SchoeffelHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
. . . — Map (db m136165) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Chapel of the High-Speed PassHistoric Landmark
Although much of the military infrastructure and facilities still remain after the closure of NAS Cecil Field in 1999, the base chapel has come to be recognized as the physical embodiment of the “Spirit of Cecil Field” defined by . . . — Map (db m136258) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Denver KeyHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LCdr. Denver Key and all Prisoners of War And Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136176) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. James SullivanHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
. . . — Map (db m136092) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCDR. Lee ColeHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
The Freedom Tree With the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LCDR Lee Cole and all Prisoners of War And Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136254) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — LCdr. Michael HoffHero’s Walk and Freedom Trees — POW-MIA Memorial and Museum —
The Freedom Tree with the vision of universal freedom for all mankind This tree is dedicated to LCdr. Michael Hoff and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m136103) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Operation Desert Shield 1990/Operation Desert Storm 1991
America’s strength lies in the men and women who prepare to defend the ideals of this great country to the fullest. The highest sacrifice anyone can make is to give one’s life so that universal freedom throughout the free world remains steadfast. . . . — Map (db m136285) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Vietnam POW*MIA MemorialPOW-MIA Memorial and Museum
Dedicated to those Killed in Action, Missing in Action, Prisoners of War and Veterans who served in Southeast Asia, 1960 – 1973. — Map (db m136160) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Benjamin Field/George N. Benjamin b 1859 d 1926
Benjamin Field In 1896, this land was gifted to the City of West Tampa as a public park by George N. Benjamin, a prominent entrepreneur & early West Tampa leader. The park was built & 2 year later it was used by Theodore Roosevelt & the . . . — Map (db m136019) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Oaklawn Cemetery
This hallowed ground set aside as a town burial site in 1850 "for whites & slaves alike" is the resting place for many of Tampa's founding fathers, mayors, and county officers. A governor of Florida, two Supreme Court Judges, framers of all . . . — Map (db m135974) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-1022 — Historic Hallstrom Farmstead
In the early 1900s, Swedish immigrant and horticulturist Axel Hallstrom sought the warm climate of Florida for his wife's health and moved to this area to from tropical trees and fruits. He first planted pineapples on his new farmstead, in the area . . . — Map (db m136027) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-1023 — The Bridges
A parade of Model T automobiles crossed the first bridge to span the Indian River on Labor Day 1920. This made Vero the first community with a bridge to Orchid Island. Made of sabal palm pilings and rough-cut planking, it began on the mainland side . . . — Map (db m136026) HM
Florida (Martin County), Stuart — F-1004 — Golden Gate Building
(Side 1) Built in 1925 by R.l. Robb Construction Co. for the Golden Gate Development Company, this building is one of Martin County's most distinctive historical structures. The two-story, trapezoidal building was designed in the . . . — Map (db m136029) HM
Florida (Osceola County), Kissimmee — F-1031 — Historic St. John's Episcopal Church
This Carpenter Gothic style church was completed in 1889. Originally located in downtown Kissimmee on the northwest corner of Sproule Avenue and Mitchell Street, the church was dedicated by Bishop Edwin Gardner Weed in 1890. Electricity had not yet . . . — Map (db m136022) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — F-186 — Christmas Day, 1835
On Christmas Day, 1835, Major Francis Langhorne Dade and his command of 111 men bivouacked near here by Fort King Road, which stretched 125 miles from Fort Brooke (Tampa) to Fort King (Ocala). Three days later, at a point about twenty miles north of . . . — Map (db m136460) HM
Florida (Pasco County), San Antonio — Joseph J. "Joe" Herrmann 1912-2002/Edward J. "Eddie" Herrmann 1936-2017
Joseph J. "Joe" Herrmann Lucius Herrmann, a baker, who emigrated from Germany in 1900, married Helen Veronica McSweeney in Ohio in 1911. They settled in San Antonio, Florida, in 1925. In 1935, their son, Joe Herrmann, married Rose, the . . . — Map (db m136017) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Safety Harbor Historical Site: Safety Harbor Log Cabin
This log cabin is the oldest building in Safety Harbor and the oldest log cabin in Pinellas County that is still standing in its original location. The oldest section of the building is believed to have been built circa 1870 with bricks dated as . . . — Map (db m136151) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Wilson Family and Home
(Side 1) The Wilson House is significant as an example of early Sarasota architecture and as the home and medical office of C.B. Wilson. In 1877, A.M. “Gus” Wilson settled in Miakka, then part of Manatee County. He served . . . — Map (db m136015) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-1020 — Model Land Company National Register Historic District
(Side 1) Early Spanish colonists settled in this area in the 1700s and used it for small-scale farming. By 1720, in order to improve St. Augustine's defenses, settlers built the Rosario and Cubo defense lines though the area. By 1737, a . . . — Map (db m136032) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Bethune Beach — F-940 — Bethune-Volusia Beach
(Side 1) When Daytona Beach was founded in 1876 two of its founders, John Tolliver and Thaddeus S. Gooden, were African American. Over the years, Jim Crow laws changed the state drastically, and by the 1920s, African Americans were banned . . . — Map (db m136030) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Racing on the Beach 1953Ormond/Daytona Beach
All starting positions determined by speed in measured mile on beach straight. Modified – Sportsman race had 136 cars take green flag and massive pileup on first lap. 85 cars failed to finish. Top 10 finishers were modifieds. Cotton Owens . . . — Map (db m136174) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Racing on the Beach 1954Ormond/Daytona Beach
1st Speedweek triple header. Top 50 finishers in Friday’s Sportsman race would run with Modifieds on Saturday when 104 cars started . Dick Kaufman 1st stock car racer fatality on beach. Sunday’s Grand National race saw Lee Petty declared winner . . . — Map (db m136312) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Seabreeze High School
Seabreeze High School Erected in 1916 on this location served the Daytona Beach Peninsula Service Terminated 1983 — Map (db m136288) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1098A — The Wounding of Hood Site
To Spot Where General Hood Was Wounded. — Map (db m136485) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-423N — To Capture of Nine Union Guns
To Place of Capture of Nine Union Guns — Map (db m136471) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-617A — To Where Lytle Fell
To Point Where Lytle Fell.......1/8 mile — Map (db m136482) WM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Juvenile Court of Cook County BuildingHuehl + Schmid, Architects
The first Juvenile Court in the world was established in Chicago in 1899. From 1907 to 1921 it was housed in this building located across the street from Hull-House. The structure was the first to combine a juvenile court woth a detention home for . . . — Map (db m136209) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Trinity Slovak Lutheran Church
This memorial spire and cross is erected to the Glory of God in salutary tribute to the memory of our founders and to all who have dedicated themselves to the mission of this church upon its 75th anniversary. On October 8, 1893, our pioneer . . . — Map (db m136423) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Col. William R. Morrison
William R. Morrison, destined to be elected a Colonel during the American Civil War, was of Scotch-Irish descent, born on September 14, 1824. Although raised on a farm, upon his father's remarriage following the death of William's mother, they moved . . . — Map (db m136540) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — John R. Kissinger1877 - 1946 — Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient "Quiet Hero - Few Know His Name" —
John R. Kissinger, who lived in Huntington in his latter years, became the first volunteer to subject himself to the bite of an infected mosquito (1900) in an experiment to identify the cause of "Yellow Jack" (Yellow Fever). This successful . . . — Map (db m135771) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — From Settlement to State ParkStone State Park
People have always been attracted to the loess Hills, with their rich natural resources and beautiful landscape. Native peoples, explorers, early settlers, and modern man have gathered across, settled upon, and enjoyed these lush lands. . . . — Map (db m136493) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — Geology WondersStone State Park
"Today we work the land, or perhaps we should say the land works for us. It grows our food, supports our building, provides row materials for our industries, absorbs our wastes, and stores our water supplies. Therefore, we need to understand . . . — Map (db m136524) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — Native Peoples of the LoessStone State Park
Prehistoric hunter-gatherers traveled these hills more than 13,000 years ago, finding all they needed to sustain their nomadic bands. They were followed by Archaic and Woodland cultures, which formed more permanent camps and cultivated crops. . . . — Map (db m136492) HM
Kentucky (Bracken County), Augusta — 750 — A Foster Inspiration
Stephen Collins Foster, as youth, visited here, May 1833. His uncle, Dr. Joseph S. Tomlinson, was then President of Augusta College. The musical, harmonious voices from the old Negro church on the hill floated softly over the town. “It can . . . — Map (db m136271) HM
Kentucky (Bracken County), Augusta — 1213 — Bracken County Wine
During the 1870s, leading wine-producing county of US, furnishing over 30,000 gallons annually, half the entire national production. Germans, finding soil here similar to that in France and Spain, brought grape cultivation and wine production to . . . — Map (db m136283) HM
Kentucky (Bracken County), Augusta — 861 — Bracken County, 1796
Formed from parts of Campbell and Mason. Named for William Bracken, hunter, fisherman, Indian fighter, came here 1773. Birthplace of John Gregg Fee, founder of Berea College, 1855. Birthplace and home of Dr. Joshua Taylor Bradford, . . . — Map (db m136282) HM
Kentucky (Bracken County), Bradford — 2288 — Bradford Schoolhouse
A rare example of a one-room schoolhouse. First through eighth grades, with about 25 children per year, were taught by one teacher. This schoolhouse was used until 1929. In Kentucky there were an estimated 6,752 one-room schoolhouses in 1901, and . . . — Map (db m136270) HM
Kentucky (Bracken County), Foster — 1614 — Kenton Ambushes Indians
In summer of 1793 Indians crossed Ohio River, hid canoes at mouth of Holt’s Creek, site of Foster, and proceeded to Bourbon County to steal horses. Simon Kenton secured a small group to ambush them on their return. After lying concealed for four . . . — Map (db m136268) HM
Kentucky (Bracken County), Germantown — 2076 — John Gregg Fee / Arnold Gragston(1816–1901) /                                
John Gregg Fee. Fee received degree from Augusta College; went to Lane Theological Seminary. Had spiritual experience which began career as nationally known and determined abolitionist. A founder of Berea College who wanted low-cost . . . — Map (db m136344) HM
Kentucky (Bullitt County), Shepherdsville — 1296 — L & N Bridge - Civil War
Destroyed 3 times by CSA. Partially razed on Sept. 7, 1862, by troops under Col. John Hutcheson. During the occupation of Shepherdsville, Sept. 28 Braxton Bragg's troops again destroyed it, but new bridge was up by Oct. 11. After Battle of . . . — Map (db m136632) HM
Kentucky (Clinton County), Albany — 780 — Civil War Terrorist
Champ Ferguson born here in 1821. Guerrilla leader with Confederate leaning, but attacked supporters of both sides thruout Civil War in southern Ky., Tenn. Over 100 murders ascribed to Ferguson alone. Hunted by both CSA and USA. Taken after end of . . . — Map (db m136581) HM
Kentucky (Clinton County), Albany — 811 — County Named, 1835
For DeWitt Clinton, 1769-1828. In New York Senate, nine years; U.S. Senate, 1802-03, where he introduced XII Amendment, present method of electing U.S. president, vice president. Mayor, New York, nine years; leader, tax supported school movement. . . . — Map (db m136583) HM
Kentucky (Clinton County), Albany — 1306 — Governor's Birthplace
Thomas E. Bramlette born near here on Jan. 3, 1817. State legislature in 1841. Appointed by Gov. John Crittenden as the commonwealth's attorney, 1848. Circuit judge, 1856-1860. Accepted Federal Army commission in 1861. Raised and commanded 3rd Ky. . . . — Map (db m136585) HM
Kentucky (Crittenden County), Dycusburg — 1210 — Crittendon Furnace
Built a mile west by Gideon D. Cobb in 1847, 9 feet across inside, 30 feet high, charcoal-fueled, with steam-powered machinery. In 1855 made 1300 tons of iron. Named for newly formed county, it was last of several ironworks operated by the Cobb . . . — Map (db m136457) HM
Kentucky (Henry County), Eminence — 2043 — Eminence College Site / Rev. W.S. Giltner                                   / (1827–1921)
Chartered as a high school by Kentucky Legislature in 1856. The school had trustees Dr. D. Porter, S.T. Drane, Morris Thomas, Preston Thomas, James Drane, W. B. Wilson, and W. J. Mason. In 1861, the name Eminence College conferred on it. Men . . . — Map (db m136246) HM
Kentucky (Henry County), New Castle — 122 — Drennon Springs
Discovered and used by Indians for medicinal properties. Claimed by Jacob Drennon & Matthew Bracken, July 26, 1773. On April 1, 1785, Patrick Henry, Governor of Va. issued to George, Rogers Clark a patent for 400 acres including the springs. . . . — Map (db m136237) HM
Kentucky (Henry County), Pleasureville — 852 — Dutch Colony Here
In 1780 communal colonists came from Pennsylvania to Mercer County, Kentucky. In 1784 thirty of the families came here, purchased 10,000 acres from Squire Boone. Lived in log fort. Managed by Abraham Banta, George Bergen made trustee later. . . . — Map (db m136247) HM
Kentucky (Jackson County), Gray Hawk — 697 — Warrior's Path
Along War Fork Creek, two miles east, coursed a primeval trail between the Shawnees of Ohio and Cherokees of east Tennessee. The Indians called it Athiamiowee, Path of the Armed Ones. On English map, 1755. Path was followed by Gabriel Arthur, when . . . — Map (db m136644) HM
Kentucky (Lawrence County), Louisa — 887 — Giant Cooling Tower
Completion of this tower in 1962 was a historic event. First of its kind in Western Hemisphere and the largest capacity of any single tower in the world when it was built. The concrete, natural draft, hyperbolic structure cools 120,000 gallons water . . . — Map (db m136663) HM
Kentucky (Livingston County), Smithland — 1675 — Mantle Rock (1/2 Mile)
During winter of 1838-1839, the Cherokees were forced to leave their Smoky Mountain homes for Oklahoma territory. Mantle Rock, a 40-foot sandstone arch, was used for shelter on their "Trail of Tears." Since the icy Ohio River had no ferry traffic, . . . — Map (db m136462) HM
Kentucky (Martin County), Warfield — 726 — Warfield / A Warfield Skirmish
Warfield First Martin County seat, 1870. Established about 1850 as a coal, salt and lumber community by George Rogers Clark Floyd and John Warfield of Va. mountains. Products shipped by river boats to Catlettsburg. Floyd was son of one . . . — Map (db m136653) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Dover — 496 — Castro-Metcalfe Duel(Casto-Metcalfe Duel)
On the Ohio River shore near here one of the last duels fought in Kentucky under the “code duello” took place on May 8, 1862 between William T. Castro, former Maysville mayor, and Col. Leonidas Metcalfe, U. S. Army, Son of former . . . — Map (db m136295) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Dover — 1439 — Dover Covered Bridge500 ft. South
One of the oldest covered bridges in Kentucky still in use. Erected in 1835, it was originally a toll bridge. The 62-foot span was built in an unusual Queenspost truss design similar to early barn construction. Major repairs were made by Bower . . . — Map (db m136339) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Mays Lick — 1828 — Childhood Home of Dr. DrakePioneer Doctor and Educator
Dr. Daniel Drake (1785-1852) came to May’s Lick with his parents at the age of two. He described this area in Pioneer Life in Kentucky. After studying medicine with Dr. William Goforth (Cincinnati), he was first resident doctor of May’s . . . — Map (db m136360) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Maysville — 1244 — Mason County, 1788
Established by the Va. Legislature, original county taken from Bourbon; included area of 16 present-day counties and parts of 3 others. Named for George Mason, Virginian, author of the Va. Declaration of Rights, 1776, foundation for the US . . . — Map (db m136415) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Maysville — 144 — Maysville Road
Built by “Maysville and Washington Turnpike Company,” incorporated January 29, 1829. First four mile stretch, Maysville to Washington, was earliest macadamized road in Kentucky and country west of the Alleghenies. Completed . . . — Map (db m136413) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Maysville — 138 — Simon Kenton’s Station
About ½ mile west is site of camp made by Simon Kenton and Thomas Williams in the spring of 1775. They left this camp in the fall and visited stations in area. Kenton returned to camp in 1784, and brought with him a group of his family . . . — Map (db m136411) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Minerva — 2207 — Bracken Baptist Church
Church constituted in 1793 by the Rev. Lewis Craig, leader of the “Traveling Church.” Bracken Baptist Association also formed here in 1799. The congregation divided over slavery in 1805, with each faction having own pastor. . . . — Map (db m136342) HM
Kentucky (Mason County), Sardis — 695 — Morgan’s Last Raid
On tragic last Kentucky raid, CSA Gen. John H. Morgan and Raiders entered state June 1, 1864, took Mt. Sterling June 8, lost it on 9th, took Lexington on 10th, and Cynthiana on 11th. USA under Gen. S. G. Burbridge defeated CSA next day. . . . — Map (db m136357) HM
Kentucky (Monroe County), Flippin — 1394 — Famous Tree / Indian Creek Church
Famous Tree In 1894, a huge Tulip Poplar tree was felled about 1½ miles south of this site. It measured 11 feet in diameter, 35 feet in circumference. Two six-foot saws were welded together to cut it. A four-foot log from the tree was . . . — Map (db m136484) HM
Kentucky (Morgan County), West Liberty — 512 — West Liberty~Civil War
The first important engagement in eastern Kentucky occurred here on Oct. 23, 1861. USA forces led by Brig. Gen. Wm. Nelson surprised enemy under Capt. Andrew J. May. Civilian secessionists were captured and jailed Unionists released. Confederate . . . — Map (db m136703) HM
Kentucky (Nicholas County), Carlisle — 1764 — Carlisle Passenger Depot
Built in 1912 by L & N soon after original frame depot burned. The Lexington and Maysville Railroad was completed to Carlisle by 1871; railroad joined L & N system, 1891. Land donated for depot by thirteen citizens and businesses in 1882. Depot . . . — Map (db m136708) HM
Kentucky (Owen County), Owenton — 2521 — Vice Admiral William A. “Mose” Lee Jr.
Lee was born on May 11, 1888, in Owen County. In 1904, he entered the US Naval Academy. He earned a position on the Navy Rifle Team and eventually the National Rifle Team. Lee graduated in 1908 and served as an inspector of ordnance. While . . . — Map (db m136266) HM
Kentucky (Robertson County), Ewing — 18 — Blue Licks Battlefield
On Aug. 19, 1782, between this hill-top and Licking River a bloody battle was fought by Kentucky pioneers against a superior force of Indians and British-Canadians. — Map (db m136359) HM
Kentucky (Robertson County), Mount Olivet — 816 — County Named, 1867
County named, 1867, for George Robertson, 1790-1874. Born in Kentucky. In Congress, 1817-21, sponsored organization territory of Arkansas. Ky. Legislature eight years, six as Speaker: promoted the common school system. Member Ky. Court of . . . — Map (db m136349) HM
Kentucky (Robertson County), Mount Olivet — 693 — Morgan’s Last Raid
On tragic last Kentucky raid, CSA Gen. John H. Morgan and Raiders entered state June 1, 1864, took Mount Sterling June 8, lost it on 9th, took Lexington on 10th, and Cynthiana on 11th. USA under Gen. S. G. Burbridge defeated CSA next day. . . . — Map (db m136352) HM
Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), Merryville — Burk's Log Cabin1883
. . . — Map (db m136678) HM
Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), Merryville — Site of the Coushatta Indian Village
In the early 1800s members of the Coushatta Indian tribe, led by their chief, Red Shoes, settled in and around the present town of Merryville, where Indian mounds, shards and arrow heads have been found.

Being near the Spanish Territory provided . . . — Map (db m136681) HM

Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Christian ScienceHistorical Marker
Christian Science was discovered by Mary Baker Eddy in 1866. This church is one of the many world wide branches of The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, Massachusetts, organized by her in 1879.

By 1890, a group of . . . — Map (db m136264) HM

Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Jean Laffite
Jean Laffite was a French privateer, pirate and patriot. A hero with his band of baratarians at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. Reputed to have had a warehouse on Contraband Bayou and to have conducted business with locals, Charles Salier . . . — Map (db m136230) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Niblett's Bluff — Civil War Memorial
In Memory of Louisiana and Texas Confederate Soldiers who Died During an Epidemic While In Camp at Niblett's Bluff. — Map (db m136233) HM WM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Battle of Calhoun's Landing(The Red River Campaign)
At 6:00 PM on April 26, 1864, here, near the junction of Cane and Red Rivers the Confederates set up an artillery battery to intercept Federal gun boats. Two boats were captured. More than 200 people on board the vessels were killed or wounded. . . . — Map (db m136284) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Grant Parish and Town of Colfax
Grant Parish was formed in 1869 from parts of Winn and Rapides parishes by Act 82 of the Louisiana legislature and named for President U.S. Grant.

Colfax, incorporated in 1878, was named for Vice President Schuyler Colfax. Once known as Calhoun's . . . — Map (db m136239) HM

Louisiana (Grant Parish), Colfax — Mary E. Graham High School
On this site stood the former Grant Parish Training School. Established in 1937, it served as the high school for the African-American population. In 1954 Grant Parish Training School became Mary E. Graham High School. Many young men and women . . . — Map (db m136235) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Georgetown — Village of Georgetown
Area once settled by the Choctaw Nation. Anglo-Americans settled here near the crossroads of the Harrisonburg and Three Notch Roads which connected the region to the Natchez Trace & the El Camino Real. Later, a stop on Jay Gould's Iron Mountain RR. . . . — Map (db m136267) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Montgomery — Montgomery, Louisiana
One of the oldest towns in the state, it began in 1719 as Bon Dieu Falls, a French trading post. In 1840 General Thomas Woodward bought the land and named it Creola Bluff. In 1860 it was renamed Montgomery. It was an important steamboat . . . — Map (db m136208) HM
Louisiana (Grant Parish), Verda — Verda
Verda was named for the daughter of the town's first postmaster, Uriah E. DeWitt. Formerly known as College Hill, Verda's 19th century origins centered on the efforts of area farmers to establish a school for their families. Beginning as a local . . . — Map (db m136676) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Bayou Vermilion District
THE BAYOU VERMILION DISTRICT The historic village at Vermilionville is administered by the Lafayette Parish Bayou Vermilion District (LPBVD). The Louisiana state legislature created the district in 1984 in an effort to improve the quality of . . . — Map (db m136617) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Broussard HouseMaison Broussard
BROUSSARD HOUSE: A Large Acadian Plantation Home La Maison Broussard dates to 1790, and is the oldest building in Vermilionville. It was the home of Armand Broussard, who immigrated to Louisiana as a child from Acadian Canada. . . . — Map (db m136621) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Buller HouseMaison Buller
Buller House: A Creole Style House This Creole style house was built in 1807 on land acquired by Joseph Buller near Prairie Ronde in St. Landry Parish. It contains several characteristics of the Creole architectural . . . — Map (db m136627) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — The ForgeLa Forge
The Forge: A Utilitarian Space for Hot Dirty Work This recreated building represents a blacksmith shop, which was essential to a working farm, vacherie (ranch), or plantation in rural southwestern Louisiana. The . . . — Map (db m136628) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Vermilionville Historical Timelinepre-1699 - 1800
pre-1699 pre-1699: Ancestors of the Ishak (Atakapa) and Chitimacha people hunt bison, deer, bear and small game; harvest fish and shellfish. The Chitimacha's territory encompasses the entire Atchafalaya Basin, lands west . . . — Map (db m136633) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Vermilionville Historical Timeline1775-1920
1775-1783 1775-1783: United States War of Independence. In support of the U.S., in 1779 the Spanish military captures British-held Baton Rouge, with the use of Native American, French, Spanish, and free persons of color . . . — Map (db m136634) HM
Louisiana (Rapides Parish), Castor Plunge — Camp Packard - Company 1446
On June 28, 1933, Company 1446 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) occupied Camp Packard (F-3) one mile south of this location near Castor Plunge. Camp Packard was the center of operations for tree planting, fire-fighting, road and bridge . . . — Map (db m136382) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Port Barre — Port Barre
Port actif à l'époque du bateau à vapeur. Appelé d'après le nom de la famille Barré. En 1765 Charles Barré acheta 8800 arpents de terre à Jacques Guillaume Courtableau, le premier Commandant du Poste des Opelousas. C'est ici que le Bayou . . . — Map (db m136231) HM
Maine (Penobscot County), Millinocket — Destination Katahdin!Thoreau, Roosevelt and you
Thirsting to experience nature’s splendor and vast wilderness, famous conservationists, politicians and artists were drawn to this area. In August 1879, young Theodore Roosevelt – who saw himself as a combination of naturalist, old-time . . . — Map (db m136219) HM
Maine (Penobscot County), Millinocket — The Golden Road- Built for today’s log drivers -
Welcome to the Golden Road, a 96-mile private road built by the Great Northern Paper Company that stretches from the Canadian border crossing to Millinocket, Maine. The road, which parallels the West Branch of the Penobscot River, was built . . . — Map (db m136220) HM
Maine (Penobscot County), Millinocket — Want to see a moose? Think like one!
I can smell and hear you long before you see me. To get a glimpse of me, look for my tracks and droppings; then approach quietly, with the wind in your face. I am crepuscular. During the day, I can be hard to find in the thick, cool forest, so . . . — Map (db m136221) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — B. Robinson 5
Front panel-Brooks Calbert Robinson, Jr. Baltimore Orioles 3rd Baseman 1955-1977. Left panel-Brooks Robinson was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, but he became Baltimore’s hometown hero. Arriving here in September 1955 at the age of 18, he went . . . — Map (db m136353) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — George Herman (Babe) Ruth
Babe Ruth was born in 1895, a few blocks northwest of here on Emory Street. In 1902 the seven-year-old was sent to Saint Mary's Industrial School, a home for unwanted children in southwest Baltimore. On the school's playfields he became an . . . — Map (db m136346) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Catonsville Nine
On May 17, 1968, nine Catholic activists raided the Selective Service office in Catonsville and burned several hundred draft files to protest the Vietnam War. In a highly-publicized trial, the “Nine”, who included priests Daniel and . . . — Map (db m136419) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Buckeystown — “Carrollton”
Patented for 10,000 acres to Charles and Daniel Carroll, Mary and Ellinor Carroll 1st April 1724. It was from this tract that Charles Carroll assumed the title “Charles Carroll of Carrollton” when signing the Declaration of Independence. — Map (db m136534) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Bourne — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, . . . — Map (db m136466) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Home of the Duryea AutomobileSpringfield, Massachusetts
The Duryea brothers, Charles and Frank, developed the first successful gasoline-powered car in 1894, right here in Springfield. The second Duryea prototype, the 1895 Duryea, was built on this site. This automobile became known simply as the "1895 . . . — Map (db m136599) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Stacy Building43 Taylor Street — Built 1893 • Renovated 1986 —
Local architect F. R. Richmond designed this building for Edwin Stacy, a manufacturer of machinery and mill supplies. His son Frank took over the business in 1911 and served as Mayor from 1914 to 1918. The upper floors of the building were leased . . . — Map (db m136598) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Groton — John Tinker / John Shattuck
(marker north side) John Tinker an original petitioner and one of the first selectmen of Groton built, prior to 1659, an Indian trading post about 500 yds easterly of this marker. The first settlement was made nearby soon afterwards. . . . — Map (db m136600) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Athol — Lysander Spooner
This is the birthplace of Lysander Spooner. January 19,1808- May 14, 1887. Champion of Liberty lawyer, abolitionist, entrepreneur, legal theorist and scholar. In this house he wrote "The Unconstitutionality of Slavery" and other works. Spooner died . . . — Map (db m136396) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Athol — Stagecoach Stop
During the years 1790 to 1853 this corner was a busy stopping place for stagecoaches from distant points. Brooks Tavern stood here as the popular hub of five stage roads — Map (db m136394) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Athol — Town House1827-1847
Athol's town hall for 20 years, it stood west of the common until moved here in 1850. It alsoo served as "Athol Academy" in 1828. Then as a Congregational church in 1830-33 — Map (db m136391) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Athol — Town Pound
In the early 1800's there was a square enclosure of stone walls here. Built by the town to hold stray cattle and other animals. Their owners had to pay a claim fee to the pound keeper — Map (db m136392) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Athol — Uptown Common and 3rd MeetinghouseAthol History Trail
. . . — Map (db m136393) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Athol — World War l Memorial
In memory of the heroes of Athol who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War. Erected by the Edward H. Phillips Post No. 102 American Legion. — Map (db m136395) WM
Michigan (Clare County), Clare — 130 — Michigan's Petroleum Industry
In 1860 State Geologist Alexander Winchell reported that oil and gas deposits lay under Michigan's surface. First commercial production was at Port Huron where 22 wells were drilled, beginning in 1886. Total output was small. Michigan's first oil . . . — Map (db m136472) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Walled Lake — L890 — Stonecrest
This land served as the local schoolhouse site from 1836 to 1895. The original schoolhouse situated here was built of hewn logs and oak shakes. Stonecrest was constructed as a one-room schoolhouse in 1860. The teacher at Stonecrest in 1868-69 was . . . — Map (db m136645) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Conner Building
The name of Conner has been associated with this site since Plymouth's earliest days. In 1857, Michael Conner (1821-95) arrived in Plymouth and purchased the hardware business at this corner that had been started by C.H. Bennett. Conner replaced . . . — Map (db m136723) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Plymouth United Savings Bank
This Classical Revival building, constructed of granite and limestone, was completed in 1920 as the new home of the Plymouth United Savings Bank. Established on May 13, 1890 as one of the first banks in the area, the first Board of Directors . . . — Map (db m136714) HM
Minnesota (Beltrami County), Bemidji — Historic Beltrami Camp
Beltrami Camp was built in 1942 by the Works Progress Administration. It was a popular gathering place for family reunions and civic groups. The only remaining building from the Beltrami Camp is the Dining Hall. Today it is still used by the Girl . . . — Map (db m136149) HM
Mississippi (Marshall County), Holly Springs — Ida B. Wells-Barnett(1862-1931) — Famed African-American journalist, educator, suffragette, and human rights activist. —
Born the eldest child to Elizabeth and James Wells, she grew up in Holly Springs, and attended Shaw University, now Rust College. She was a reformer who insisted on economic and political resistance to oppression. She became head of a household at . . . — Map (db m136680) HM
Montana (Missoula County), Missoula — Public Hands for Public Land
Public Hands for Public Land Young Montanans Join Conservation Corps The Great Depression of the 1930s left many people unemployed, but President Franklin D. Roosevelt's “New Deal” created a relief program to put people back to . . . — Map (db m136577) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Fitzwilliam — 99 — Brigadier General James Reed(1722-1807)
This veteran Captain of the French and Indian War, born in Woburn, Mass., settled here about 1765 as an original proprietor of Monadnock No. 4, now Fitzwilliam. After the Battle of Lexington, he recruited several companies to form the Third New . . . — Map (db m136527) HM WM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Ellis and Sons' Store
About 1876, the Ellis's fleeing commotion in Fairfax Co., started a store in Lincoln. They supported McSween side during and after the War. Later J.W. Laws made the property into a t.b. sanatorium. His was an early effort to use the Valley's climate. — Map (db m136244) HM
New York, Hammondstown — 1906 - 1916Floating and Flying
Some of America's earliest aircraft took to the air over Kingsley Flats In 1904 "Captain T.S. Baldwin from California purchased a Curtiss motorcycle engine to power his experimental dirigible airship. Two years later, Baldwin moved his entire . . . — Map (db m136683) HM
New York, Hammondstown — Vertical Flight Heritage SitePioneering Vertical Flight in America — Hammondsport, New York, 1908 —
Between January and May 1908, John Newton Williams, demonstrated rotary wing test rigs at this site, known as Kingsley Flats, marking one of the first significant efforts to develop a helicopter in the United States. Powered by an engine designed . . . — Map (db m136684) HM
New York (Albany County), New Salem — Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen Home
Original part built c. 1816. revolutionary War Captain. Served 3 area churches from 1794-1825. His descendants lived in home until 1922. — Map (db m136073) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Baptist Church
Organized Aug. 19, 1796. First ministers: Truman Beeman Ephraim Crocker Reuben Winegar Jr. Present church built in 1836 — Map (db m136128) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Episcopal Church
Organized February 20, 1811 by Rev. Samuel Fuller, who built church in 1815 and served as Rector for thirty-one years — Map (db m136121) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Federal Library
This first library was organized March 13, 1798, with 186 subscribers and 200 books. Dissolved 1832. — Map (db m136123) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Hamlet of Rensselaerville
Settled in 1787. Historic District on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places — Map (db m136109) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Presbyterian Church
Organized 1792. This third church built by Ephraim B. Russ and dedicated 1843. George Goodyear, Pastor. — Map (db m136124) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Samuel JenkinsThe Father of Rensselaerville
Known as Jenkin's Mills 1795-1896. First visited site in 1787, located 1788, built house and grist mill 1789. Died 1837 — Map (db m136126) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Allen House
Built 1795, here and on this road lived Ebeneazer Allen and his sons Justice, Howard, and Stephen. All soldiers in Revolution — Map (db m136127) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Manor of Van Rensselaer
1630 Kiliaen Van Rensselaer granted patent for 1152 square miles including all of Albany and Rensselaer Counties — Map (db m136076) HM
New York (Allegany County), Wellsville — 1885 • Fish Survey • 1935
The state-wide watershed survey of fish life was begun here on Duffy Hollow Brook by the conservation department in 1926. — Map (db m136688) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Allegany State Park's Oldest Cabin
During the early 1920s, campers at Allegany State Park stayed in large canvas tents acquired as World War I surplus. The original tents were improved by adding wooden sides. These hybrids were known as "tent cabins." Early campers at a tent cabin . . . — Map (db m136279) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — The Tornado / Forest Succession
The Tornado On August 28, 1990, at approximately 6:15 PM, an F1 tornado swept through the Quaker Run drainage of Allegany State Park. This tornado was one of four that occurred in Western New York on that date. The tornado first touched down on . . . — Map (db m136333) HM
New York (Columbia County), Claverack — Washington Seminary
Early Columbia County school established here 1779. Later became Claverack College and Hudson River Institute until its closing in 1902. — Map (db m136449) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Brick House Built in 1804
by Dr. Thomas Brodhead The bricks were made here of clay kneaded by cattle being driven over it — Map (db m136309) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — First Public School in New York
Was established at Clermont in 1791 — Map (db m136307) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Saint Luke's Church Clermont
Built 1859 as an Episcopal Church Transferred to Clermont in 1973 — Map (db m136308) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — The AcademyBuilt in 1834
As a seminary of learning The land was given by Edward P. Livingston — Map (db m136304) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — The Clermont
Since and prior to its incorporation in 1788, Clermont has played a significant role in the history of America. Clermont’s history includes: home of Robert R. Livingston, negotiator of Louisiana Purchase and a drafter of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m136305) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Town Hall Clermont
Built in 1894 as a Grange Hall — Map (db m136306) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Alida Livingston1656-1727
Alida Livingston, a capable courageous and diligent manager of her husband’s manor, she helped to settle Columbia County. George E. Pataki, GovernorMap (db m136499) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Johnstown
Named for John Livingston, settler. Livingston Post Office 1805. Had a Revolutionary Stage Inn and Linlithgo Reformed Church. — Map (db m136497) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Livingston
The present village of Livingston was formerly called Johnstown after John Livingston. — Map (db m136495) HM
New York (Columbia County), Livingston — Town of Livingston - 1788
Contained Bakers Mills, Blue Stores, Burden, Elizaville, Glenco Mills, Linlithgo, and Walker’s Mills. — Map (db m136496) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bloomville — First Milk Pasteurization1893
Sheffield Farms Creamery First in U.S. to pasteurize milk commercially — Map (db m136096) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Charles Evans Hughes
Chief Justice of the U.S. first studied law (1881-1882) near this spot with Judge W.M. Gleason while teaching School at Delaware Academy Law Day • May 1, 1959Map (db m136222) HM

474 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 274
Paid Advertisement