Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

357 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 157
 
Leonard's Gate Marker<br>(<i>wide view looking north from Main Street</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 15, 2019
Leonard's Gate Marker
(wide view looking north from Main Street)
New Brunswick (Kings County), Sussex — Leonard's Gate
This property, as with so many in the area, once belonged to the estate of George Leonard who arrived in New Brunswick as a Loyalist with the spring fleet of 1783. Although Mr. Leonard had been raised in Plymouth, Massachusetts and owned a home . . . — Map (db m137651) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), St. Martins — Shipbuilding in New Brunswick / L’Industrie de la Construction Navale au Nouveau-Brunswick
English: From its origins in the late 18th century, the shipbuilding industry profoundly influenced New Brunswick history. Craftsmen in the colony built over 6,000 vessels during the 19th century, a third of the total tonnage produced in . . . — Map (db m137643) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — The Royal Canadian Mint / La Monnaie Royale Canadienne
English: Constructed in 1905-1908 to house a branch of the British Royal Mint, this building was one of several designed in the late gothic style by the Department of Public Works in the first part of this century. The building combines the . . . — Map (db m137734) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Bedeque — James Colledge Pope1826-1885
English: James Colledge Pope was born in Bedeque. A successful merchant and shipbuilder, he entered political life in 1857. Premier of the Island on two previous occasions (1865-7 and 1870-2), he again assumed that office in April, 1873, and . . . — Map (db m137724) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — A Neoclassical Design / Un style néoclassique
English: A Neoclassical Design Have you ever noticed that the building's design, including features such as columns and windows, is pleasingly symmetrical? This is one of the features that make Province House a fine example of . . . — Map (db m137659) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Cornelius Krieghoff(1815-1872)
French: L'œuvre vivante et colorée de Cornelius Krieghoff en fit l'un des peintres canadiens les plus connus du XIXe siècle. Né à Amsterdam, il arriva en 1840 au Canada où il peignit près de 2000 tableaux inspirés par son pays . . . — Map (db m137571) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — La Maison Henry-Stuart / Henry-Stuart House
French: Cette charmante maison au cœur d'un jardin est un remarquable exemple d'un « cottage orné » inspiré par les principes esthétiques du mouvement pittoresque d'origine anglaise. Elle fut bâtie en 1849 par Maria Curry, épouse du marchand . . . — Map (db m137602) HM
Quebec (Les Maskoutains MRC), Saint-Hyacinthe — L’Ancien Bureau de Poste de Saint-Hyacinthe / Former Saint-Hyacinthe Post Office
French: Construit dans les années 1890 afin de loger un bureau de poste, la douane et d’autres services gouvernementaux, ce bâtiment date d’une époque où la présence fédérale dans une ville s’affirmait au moyen d’édifices imposants. Il a été . . . — Map (db m137609) HM
El Salvador, Ahuachapán, Concepción de Ataco — The Ataco Catholic Church and 2001 Earthquake
El pueblo católico de Concepción de Ataco, agradece a Dios todopoderoso. Al mismo tiempo otorga el presente reconocimiento a: La Provincia Franciscana de la Inmaculada Concepción de Nueva York, en especial a su Provincial Fr. Roberto M. . . . — Map (db m137769) HM
El Salvador, Cuscatlán, Suchitoto — SuchitotoParque San Martín
Suchitoto Suchitoto es un municipio del departamento de Cuscatlán, El Salvador. Su territorio ha sido habitado desde la época precolombina, y también fue el sitio donde se fundó la Villa de San Salvador en 1528, que tuvo una breve . . . — Map (db m137776) HM
El Salvador, La Libertad, Antiguo Cuscatlán — Mother Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Dávalos
Sierva de Dios Madre Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Davalos Fundadora de la Congregación de Hermanas Josefinas México 27 de agosto 1829 24 de abril 1884 “Dios me ve” English translation: Servant of God . . . — Map (db m137904) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Monument to the Revolution of 1948
Monumento a la Revolución de 1948 Violeta Bonilla (1924-1999) y Claudio Cevallos Leal (1931-2012), 1954, mosaico de piedras El Monumento a la Revolución de 1948 es parte del conjunto conmemorativo del mismo nombre, inaugurado el 13 . . . — Map (db m137660) HM
El Salvador, Sonsonate, Nahuizalco — Nahuizalco
El rótulo histórico está compuesto de tres paneles Nahuilzalco En la época colonial la región perteneció a la Provincia de los Izalcos. Su nombre significa “Cuatro Izalcos” o “Los Cuatro Penitentes”, y . . . — Map (db m137705) HM
El Salvador, Sonsonate (Sonsonate), Nahuizalco — Oscar Arnulfo Romero
En Concejo Municipal de Nahuizalco presidido por el Dr. Jorge Willer Patriz Castaneda acuerda: Como un justo y merecido reconocimiento nombra la tercera calle poniente, del Barrio la Trinidad de este municipio con el nombre de Calle . . . — Map (db m137694) HM WM
El Salvador, Sonsonate — General Manuel José Arce
General Manuel Jose Arce Primer Presidente de Centro America English translation: General Manuel José Arce First President of Central America — Map (db m137658) HM WM
El Salvador, Sonsonate — Monsignor Oscar Arnulfo Romero Galdámez
El obispo, el clero, las religiosas y el pueblo católico de la Diócesis de Sonsonate. Conmemorando el 25 aniversario de la muerte martirial del Siervo de Dios Mons. Oscar Arnulfo Romero Galdamez con gratitud y admiración a tan insigne . . . — Map (db m137841) HM WM
El Salvador, Sonsonate — Rafael Campo
La ciudad de Sonsonate a su esclarecido hijo el eximio patriota Don Rafael Campo Ex Presidente de la Republica del Salvador 1856-1858 “Ni una sola lagrima ni una gota de sangre hizo verter al pueblo salvadoreño” . . . — Map (db m137685) HM WM
El Salvador, Sonsonate — The Cathedral of Sonsonate and the 2001 Earthquakes
El Pueblo de Sonsonate agradece infinitamente a: Mons. Jose Adolfo Mojica Morales Pbro. Ricardo Antonio Romero Flores Consejo Parroquial de Catedral Conferencia Episcopal Alemana (Adveniat). La Comunidad de Sonsonatecos . . . — Map (db m137686) HM
India, Kerala (Ernakulam), Kochi — Paradesi Synagogue
Paradesi Synagogue Stabilisation and Conservation of the Clock Tower A project of World Monuments Fund Jewish Heritage Program In partnership with the Jewish Community of Cochin and the National Culture Fund The World Monuments Fund (WMF) . . . — Map (db m137909) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Victims of the RMS Lusitania Sinking

In memory of the 1198 civilian lives lost on the Lusitania 7th May 1915 off The Old Head of Kinsale ————————— This memorial was unveiled by Hugh Coveney T.D. Minister . . . — Map (db m137568) HM

Alabama (Cherokee County), Cedar Bluff — Long Shadows House
Constructed around 1875 by John Seaborn Watt for his bride, Emma Chastillette Williamson, this fine example of Victorian architecture was originally located near Yancey's Bend prior to the construction of Weiss Lake. The site was going to be . . . — Map (db m137844) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank Branch Railroad
When early settlers migrated to Southern California in the late 1800s, they saw the future potential of the fertile valley located twelve miles north of Los Angeles. In 1867, Dr. David Burbank purchased the land, which, in 1911, would become . . . — Map (db m137688) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Duarte — 1 — Glenn Miller1904-1944
Born in Iowa, he became one of the most famous and prosperous big band leaders in the world. His popularity peaked from 1938 to 1942 with such tunes as “Moonlight Serenade” and the all-time classic “In The Mood”. In 1942 he . . . — Map (db m137556) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 25 — HomelandBuilt in 1926
Mansion built by W. F. Markham, developer and inventor of the Markham Air Rifle at Plymouth, Michigan in 1886. Gardens formerly used as bird sanctuary. — Map (db m137558) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — 1 — Glendora City Hall1913
First historical landmark — Historical Society Museum, original site of 1913 city hall, jail, and fire house — Dedicated May 8, 1990. Bob Kuhn, Mayor, City of Glendora. John Gordon, President, Glendora Historical Society. Marker . . . — Map (db m137562) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
The record-breaking F-104 Starfighter was created by Clarence L “Kelly" Johnson and his Advanced Development Projects engineering unit (the "Skunk Works") at the Lockheed-California Company in Burbank. Johnson received the Collier Trophy in . . . — Map (db m137699) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Dimas — Birthplace of San Dimas
La Cienega — Mud Springs — San Dimas. Los Angeles - San Bernardino - Sonora Road stage station & artesian aquifer, a place favored by the Gabrielino Tongva Indians. Near here in 1774 and 1776 Juan Bautisa de Anza, trailblazer . . . — Map (db m137505) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Dimas — La Cienega, Mud Springs, Birthplace of San Dimas
La Cienega — Mud Springs. Los Angeles - San Bernardino - Sonora Road stage station and campground, a place favored by the Indians. Near here in 1774 and 1776 Juan Bautisa de Anza — trailblazer, colonizer — and his . . . — Map (db m137504) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed four different plaques. The plaques are now missing. The following plaque was . . . — Map (db m137425) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — A Stately Mansion
A Stately Mansion This landmark home upholds a tradition of service to the state Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, a National Historic Landmark, served as the headquarters of three governors during the turbulent 1860s. Today it . . . — Map (db m137650) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Bishop Alfonso Gallegos
The Most Reverend Alfonso Gallegos, O.A.R., D.D. Titular Bishop of Sasabe, Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Sacramento Feb. 20, 1931 – Oct. 6, 1991 “Love one another” May 24, 1958 – Ordained priest for the . . . — Map (db m137648) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — California State Capitol Park
California State Capitol Park History When Spanish governors ruled the California territory, its capital was moved from town to town between San Diego and Monterey. San Jose had already been designated the capital by the time California . . . — Map (db m137646) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla
Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla (1753-1811) Father of Mexico His battle cry for freedom on September 16, 1810 led Mexico to indenpendence from Spain and the end of colonialism. Statue donated by Alberto and Carmencita Heredia, and family, . . . — Map (db m137649) WM
California (Santa Cruz County), Scotts Valley — The Scott House
Hiram Daniel Scott built the Scott House in 1853 for his father Daniel Scott, stepmother Nancy Parcher Scott and their extended family. The Scotts came from Maine and owned interests in shipbuilding, West Indies trading and lumber mills. Hiram had . . . — Map (db m137522) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — 603 GilbertCottage 15/16
Has been designated a Contributing Resource to the University of Connecticut Historic District

One of two remaining houses built as faculty residences between 1912 and 1920, the side-by-side colonial revival structure is sited on what . . . — Map (db m137533) HM

Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — 604 GilbertCottage 22/23
Has been designated a Contributing Resource to the University of Connecticut Historic District

One of two remaining houses built as faculty residences between 1912 and 1920, the side-by-side colonial revival structure is sited on what was . . . — Map (db m137544) HM

Florida (Duval County), Atlantic Beach — F-953 — The Continental Hotel Site
In the late 19th century, Henry Flagler created the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) and the Florida East Coast Hotel Company, both of significantly boosted development and tourism for Florida. By 1900, Flagler had purchased the local Jacksonville . . . — Map (db m137857) HM
Florida (Duval County), Bayport — US Merchant Marine
(Side 1) US Merchant Marine Dedicated September 14, 1999 Mayport Florida In memory of the men and women of all nations who loyally served aboard United States merchant ships in war and peace (Side 2) American . . . — Map (db m137894) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — All Veterans
For God – Honor – Country the flag flying today is in honor and memory of All Veterans — Map (db m137883) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — James Edwin CraigOctober 29, 1901 – December 7, 1941
The James E. Craig Memorial pavilion is dedicated to the memory of Jacksonville native, James Edwin Craig, the namesake of Jacksonville Executive at Craig Airport. He served his country with honor. After becoming an aviator in 1929, he served on . . . — Map (db m137888) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Mayport — Historic Old Mayport Cemetery
0 This is the site of the Historic Old Mayport Cemetery, on Navy, City of Jacksonville and nearby private properties, covered beneath considerable fill material, roadways and private development. The names of some who are interred here are known; . . . — Map (db m137916) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-834 — Lucy Moten Elementary School
Lucy Moten School was built in 1932 at Florida A&M University (FAMU) with support from the Julius Rosenwald Fund and General Education Board. For more than 70 years, the school served as a training facility for African-American educators. The . . . — Map (db m137656) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1288 — 10th Confederate Georgia CavalryScott's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. Companies, "F", "G", "H", "I", "K", 10th Confederate. Colonel C.T. Goode. Scott's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137827) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-961 — 11th Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
11th, Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137835) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-895 — 13th Michigan InfantryBuell's Brigade — Wood's Division —
Thirteenth Michigan Infantry Noon, September 20th, 1863 — Map (db m137677) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-969 — 17th Ohio InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
17th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Connell's Brigade. 10:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137879) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1276 — 1st Georgia CavalryDavidson's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 1st Cavalry. Colonel J.J Morrison. Davidson's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137829) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1310 — 25th Georgia InfantryWilson's Brigade — Walker's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 25th Infantry. Lieutenant Colonel A.J. Williams. Wilson's Brigade. Gist's Walker's Division. 8:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137830) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — Mt-1312 — 29th Georgia InfantryWilson's Brigade — Walker's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 29th Infantry. Lieutenant George R. McRae. Wilson's Brigade. Gist's Walker's Division. 8:30 A.M., September 20, 1863. — Map (db m137831) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-992 — 35th Ohio InfantryVanDerveer's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
35th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Van Derveer's Brigade. 10:00 to 11:30 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137880) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-995 — 36th Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
36th, Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137837) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1284 — 6th Georgia CavalryDavidson's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 6th Cavalry. Colonel John R. Hart. Davidson's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137832) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-840 — 82nd Indiana InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Eighty-Second Regiment Infantry. (Hunter) First Brigade. (Connell) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 9 A.M. to 12 M. — Map (db m137882) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-850 — 87th Indiana InfantryVanDerveer's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Eighty-Seventh Regiment Infantry. (Gleason) Third Brigade. (VanDerveer) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 8 a.m. — Map (db m137884) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1020 — 92nd Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
92d. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137842) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-875 — Battery A, 1st MichiganScribner's Brigade — Baird's Division —
U. Battery A, 1st Michigan Light Artillery. 6 10 Pounder Parrotts. Scribner's Brigade, Baird's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant George W. Van Pelt, Commanding (Killed). 2d Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m137907) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-921 — Battery C, 1st Ohio Light ArtilleryCroxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Battery C, 1st Ohio Light Artillery. 4 James, 2 Napoleons. Croxton's Brigade, Brannan's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant Marco B. Gary, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Hiram W. Turner. 2d . . . — Map (db m137900) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-881 — Battery D, 1st Michigan ArtilleryBrannan's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Battery D, First Michigan Artillery Morning September 19, 1863 — Map (db m137895) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-877A — Battery D, 1st Michigan ArtilleryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
U.S.A. Church's Michigan Battery, 6 Guns. Connell's Brigade, Brannan's Division September 19, 1863. 11 a.m. Captain Josiah W. Church. — Map (db m137899) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1091 — Cheatham's DivisionPolk's Corps — Major General Benjamin F. Polk —
No.99. ........................................... C. Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps. Major General Benjamin F. Cheatham. September. 20th, 1863. Jackson’s Brigade, - Brigadier General John K. Jackson. . . . — Map (db m137865) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-563 — Connell's BrigadeBrannan's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Connell's Brigade. Brannan's Division ... Thomas' Corps. Colonel John M. Connell. September 19, 1863 - 10 a.m. 1st Position 82nd Indiana - Colonel Morton C. Hunter. 17th Ohio - Lieutenant Colonel Durbin Ward. 31st . . . — Map (db m137889) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1182 — Kershaw's BrigadeMcLaws' Division - Longstreet's Corps — Brigadier General Joseph Brevard Kershaw —
Kershaw's Brigade. McLaws' Division, - Longstreet's Corps. Brigadier General Joseph Brevard Kershaw. September 20, 1863, 1 p.m. 2d South Carolina, - Lieutenant Colonel Franklin Gaillard. 3d South Carolina, - Colonel James D. Nance. . . . — Map (db m137645) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1104 — Liddell's DivisionWalker's Corps — Brigadier General St. John R. Liddell —
Liddell's Division, - Walker's Corps. Brigadier General St. John R. Liddell. September 19, 1863, 11 a.m. Liddell's Brigade, - Colonel Daniel C. Govan. Walthall's Brigade, - Brigadier General Edward C. Walthall. About 10:30 a.m. . . . — Map (db m137939) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-452A — Philemon P. Baldwin Memorial Shell MonumentBaldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
Philemon P. Baldwin, Colonel 6th Indiana, Commanding 3d Brigade, Johnson's Division, Killed Here About 7 p.m. September 19th, 1863 — Map (db m137905) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1204A — Polk's BrigadeCleburne's Division — Hill's Corps —
No. 36-A. ....................................... C. Polk's Brigade Cleburne's Division - Hill's Corps Brigadier General Lucius E. Polk September 19, 1863, 6:30 P.M., 2d Position 1st Arkansas - Colonel John W. . . . — Map (db m137937) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1371 — Scott's Tennessee BatterySmith's Brigade — Cheatham's Division —
Tennessee Scott's Battery Smith's Brigade Cheatham's Division 1:30 P.M. September 19, 1863Map (db m137845) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1370A — Scott's Tennessee BatterySmith's Brigade — Cheatham's Division —
C.S.A. Scott's Tennessee Battery 4 Gun Smith's Brigade, Cheatham's Division September 19, 1863. 12:30 to 2 p.m. Lieutenant A.T. Watson. — Map (db m137868) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1370 — Scott's Tennessee BatterySmith's Brigade — Cheatham's Division —
C. Scott's Tennessee Battery. 2 6 Pounders, 2 12 Pounders Howitzers. Smith's Brigade, Cheatham's Division, Polk's Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant John H. Marsh, Commanding (Wounded). 2d . . . — Map (db m137870) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-625 — Scribner's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Scribner's Brigade. Baird's Division - Thomas' Corps. Colonel Benjamin F. Scribner September 20, 1863, 2 p.m., 2d Position 38th Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel Daniel F. Griffin. 2nd Ohio - Major William T. Beatty. . . . — Map (db m137739) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-626 — Scribner's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Scribner's Brigade. Baird's Division - Thomas' Corps. Colonel Benjamin F. Scribner September 19, 1863, 4:30 p.m., 3d Position 38th Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel Daniel F. Griffin. 2nd Ohio - Major William T. Beatty. . . . — Map (db m137932) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1212 — Smith's BrigadeCheatham's Division — Polk's Corps —
Smith's Brigade. Cheatham's Division - Polk's Corps. Brigadier General Preston Smith. Colonel Alfred J. Vaughn, Jr. September 19, 1863. 6 P.M. 11th Tennessee - Colonel George W. Gordon. 12th Tennessee - Colonel William M. Watkins. . . . — Map (db m137741) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1210 — Smith's BrigadeCheatham's Division — Polk's Corps —
Smith's Brigade. Cheatham's Division - Polk's Corps. Brigadier General Preston Smith. Colonel Alfred J. Vaughn, Jr. September 19, 1863. Noon. 11th Tennessee - Colonel George W. Gordon. 12th Tennessee - Colonel . . . — Map (db m137864) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-636 — Starkweather's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Starkweather's Brigade. Baird's Division - Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General John C. Starkweather. September 20, 1863. 2 p.m., 2d Position 24th Illinois - Colonel Geza Mihalotzy. 24th Illinois - Captain August Mauff. . . . — Map (db m137742) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-637 — Starkweather's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Starkweather's Brigade. Baird's Division - Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General John C. Starkweather. September 19, 1863. 4:30 p.m., 3rd Position 24th Illinois - Colonel Geza Mihalotzy. 24th Illinois - Captain August . . . — Map (db m137928) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-635 — Starkweather's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Starkweather's Brigade. Baird's Division -- Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General John C. Starkweather. 1st Position 24th Illinois - Colonel Geza Mihalotzy. 24th Illinois - Captain August Mauff. 79th Pennsylvania - . . . — Map (db m137931) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1213 — Stovall's BrigadeBreckinridge's Division — Hill's Corps —
Stovall's Brigade. Breckinridge's Division, - Hill's Corps. Brigadier General Marcellus A. Stovall. September 20, 1863, 9:30 a.m., 1st Position 1st, and 3rd, Florida, - Colonel William S. Dilworth. 4th, Florida, - . . . — Map (db m137772) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1218 — Strahl's BrigadeCheatham's Division — Polk's Corps —
Strahl's Brigade Cheatham’s Division - Polk’s Corps. Brigadier General Otho F. Strahl. September 20, 1863, 6 P.M. 4th Tennessee and 5th Tennessee - Colonel Jonathan J. Lamb. 19th Tennessee - Colonel Francis M. Walker. 24th . . . — Map (db m137789) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1216 — Strahl's BrigadeCheatham's Division — Polk's Corps —
No.39. ........................................... C. Strahl's Brigade. Cheatham’s Division - Polk’s Corps. Brigadier General Otho F. Strahl. September 19, 1863, Noon. 4th Tennessee and 5th Tennessee - Colonel . . . — Map (db m137863) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-639 — Turchin's BrigadeReynolds' Division — Thomas' Corps —
Turchin's Brigade. Reynolds' Division - Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General John B. Turchin. September 19, 1863, 3:30 p.m. 11th Ohio - Colonel Philander P. Lane, Commanding. About 3:30 p.m., after a spirited engagement with the . . . — Map (db m137861) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1333 — Warren Mississippi Light ArtilleryGovan's Brigade — Liddell's Division —
Warren Mississippi Light Artillery. 2 Napoleons, 2 James. Govan's Brigade, Liddell's Division, Walker's Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant H. Shannon, Commanding. 2d Lieutenant W. P. McDonald. This battery was . . . — Map (db m137922) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Ardick — 095-33 — Capture of 26 Men in 1864
Near here, in Ebenezer Church which was acting as the McIntosh County Courthouse following the burning of Darien by United States forces in 1863, 26 men were captured by U.S. troops on the night of August 3rd, 1864. These civilians, many of . . . — Map (db m137906) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1390 — 17th Tennessee InfantryFulton's brigade — Johnson's Division —
Tennessee 17th Regiment Infantry Fulton's Brigade Johnson's Division Sundown, September 20, 1863Map (db m137612) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-981 — 26th Ohio InfantryBuell's Brigade — Wood's Division —
26th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Buell's Brigade 12: M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m137674) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1070 — 3rd Wisconsin BatteryBarnes' Brigade — Van Cleve's Division —
3rd Wisconsin Battery. 11:30 A.M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m137668) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-741 — 7th Indiana BatterySamuel Beatty's Brigade — Van Cleve's Division —
Indiana Seventh Battery. (Swallow) First Brigade. (Sam Beatty) Third Division. (Van Cleve) Twenty-First Corps. (Crittenden) Saturday, Night, September 19th, 1863, To Sunday, September 20th, 1863. — Map (db m137661) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-739 — 7th Indiana BatteryDick's Brigade - Van Cleve's Division — Crittenden's Corps —
7th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery 4 10 Pounder Parrotts, 2 Napoleons. Dick's Brigade, Van Cleve's Division, Crittenden's Corps. September 20, 1863. Captain George R. Swallow, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Otho H. . . . — Map (db m137666) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-746 — 8th Indiana BatteryBuell's Brigade — Wood's Division —
Indiana. Eighth Battery. (Estep) First Brigade. (Buell) First Division. (Wood) Twenty-First Corps. (Crittenden) Sunday, September 20th, 1863, 12 M.- Battery Captured. — Map (db m137670) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-713 — 96th Illinois InfantryWhitaker's Brigade - Steedman's Division — Reserve Corps - Granger —
Text on Front Side of Monument: Illinois 96th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Whitaker. 1st Division - Steedman. Reserve Corps - Granger. Text on Back Side of Monument: (the metal plaque with the monument's text has . . . — Map (db m137617) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-714 — 96th Illinois Infantry (Two Companies)Whitaker's Brigade - Steedman's Division — Reserve Corps - Granger —
Illinois Two Companies 96th Infantry. Whitaker's Brigade. 3 to 6 P.M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m137621) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1043 — Battery B, 26th PennsylvaniaSamuel Beatty's Brigade — Van Cleve's Division —
Pennsylvania Light Artillery, Battery B, 26th Independent, Samuel Beatty's Brigade, Van Cleve's Division, Crittenden's Corps. In action in this position forenoon of September 20th, 1863. — Map (db m137669) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-664 — Battery M, 1st Illinois Light ArtilleryMitchell's Brigade - Steedman's Division — Reserve Corps - Granger —
Battery M, 1st Illinois Light Artillery. 4 Napoleons, 2 3" Rifles. Mitchell's Brigade, Steedman's Division, Granger's Corps. September 20, 1863 2d Lieutenant Thomas S. Burton, Commanding. 2d Lieutenant Bel H. . . . — Map (db m137614) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-932 — Battery M, 1st Ohio Light ArtilleryStanley's Brigade — Negley's Division —
Battery M, 1st Ohio Light Artillery 4 James, 2 3" Rifles. Stanley's Brigade, Negley's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 20, 1863. Captain Frederick Schultz, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Joseph Hein. 1st Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m137647) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-933 — Battery M, 1st Ohio Light ArtilleryStanley's Brigade — Negley's Division —
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Schultz's Battery —— M —— 1st, Ohio light Artillery Stanley's Brigade Negley's Division Text on the Back Side of the Monument: September . . . — Map (db m137652) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1146 — Deas' BrigadeHindman's Division - Polk's Corp — Brigadier General Zach C. Deas —
Deas' Brigade. Hindman's Division -- Polk's Corps. Brigadier General Zach. C. Deas. September 20, 1863, 4:30 p.m. 19th Alabama - Colonel Samuel K. McSpadden. 22nd Alabama - Captain Harry T. Toulmin. 25th Alabama - . . . — Map (db m137627) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1241 — Dent's Alabama BatteryDea's Brigade - Hindman's Division — Polk's Corps —
Dent's Alabama Battery. 6 Napoleons. Deas’ Brigade, Hindman's Division, Polk’s Corps. September 20, 1863 Captain S. H. Dent, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant W. T. Stockton. 2nd Lieutenant D. L. Southwick 2nd Lieutenant G. B. Ziegler. . . . — Map (db m137599) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-594 — Harker's BrigadeWoods Division — Crittenden's Corps —
Text from the First Tablet: Harker's Brigade. Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps. Colonel Charles G. Harker. September 20, 1863, 11:30 a.m. 3rd Kentucky - Colonel Henry C. Dunlap. 64th Ohio - Colonel Alexander . . . — Map (db m137642) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1175 — Johnson's BrigadeJohnson Division, - Longstreet's Corps — Colonel John S. Fulton —
Johnson's Brigade Johnson's Division - Longstreet's Corps. Colonel John S. Fulton. September 20, 1963, 2 P.M. 17th Tennessee, - Lieutenant Colonel Watt W. Floyd. 23d Tennessee, - Colonel R. H. Keeble. 25th Tennessee, - Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m137572) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1176 — Johnson's BrigadeJohnson Division, - Longstreet's Corps — Colonel John S. Fulton —
Johnson's Brigade Johnson's Division - Longstreet's Corps. Colonel John S. Fulton. September 20, 1963, 3 P.M. 17th Tennessee, - Lieutenant Colonel Watt W. Floyd. 23d Tennessee, - Colonel R. H. Keeble. 25th Tennessee, - Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m137631) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1202 — Manigault's BrigadeHindman's Division - Polk's Corp — Brigadier General Arthur M. Manigault —
Manigault's Brigade Hindman's Division, -- Polk's Corps. Brigadier General Arthur M. Manigault. September 20, 1863, 3 p.m. 24th Alabama, Colonel N.N. Davis. 28th Alabama, Colonel John C. Reid. 34th Alabama, Colonel John N. Slaughter. . . . — Map (db m137632) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1353 — Manigault's South Carolina BrigadeHindman's Division — Polk's Corps —
. . . — Map (db m137601) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1196 — McNair's BrigadeJohnson Division, - Longstreet's Corps — Colonel David Coleman —
McNair's Brigade Johnson's Division, - Longstreet's Corps. Brigadier General Evander McNair Colonel David Coleman. September 20, 1863, 2 p.m. 1st Arkansas Rifles, Dismounted. - Lieutenant Colonel D. H. Reynolds. 2d Arkansas . . . — Map (db m137594) HM
Georgia (Walker County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1273 — York's (Georgia) BatteryJohnson's Brigade - Johnson's Division — Longstreet's Corps —
York's (Georgia) Battery. Two 6, Two 12, Pounder. Howitzers. Johnson's Brigade, - Johnson's Division. Longstreet's Corps. September 20, 1863. 1st Lieutenant William S. Everett, Commanding. 2d Lieutenant Francis M. Blount. 2d . . . — Map (db m137603) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Branches of History
Corydon’s Constitution Elm stood a few blocks to the north of Indiana’s first capitol. The huge elm tree, about 50 feet high and spread over 130 feet, offered cooling shade from the summer sun. When the framers of the Indiana Constitution met . . . — Map (db m137628) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — Corydon
Plaque A At the dawn of the 1800’s, Territorial Governor William Henry Harrison rode horseback through this valley and grew to admire the serenity of its hills and streams, and the intrepid determination of its pioneer settlers. A . . . — Map (db m137575) HM
Kentucky (Shelby County), Shelbyville — Shelby County WWI Honor Roll
This tablet is dedicated in memory of the boys of Shelby County who gave their lives and were wounded in the World War. Those Who Gave Their Lives {List of names} Those Who Were Wounded . . . — Map (db m137633) WM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Sigma Iota
En este lugar fué creada la fraternidad Sigma Iota en el año de nuestro Señor de 1904 Convencion de 1929. English translation: Here in this place was created the Sigma Iota Fraternity in the Year of Our Lord 1904 . . . — Map (db m137720) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Howard's Inheritance
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137783) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Gambrills — Linthicum WalksGambrills, MD.
Part of 1672 Land Grant to Evan Davis. House begun c.1780 by Thomas Linthicum Enlarged c.1840. — Map (db m137925) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Butler — Scott’s Quarry
Marble from this quarry, located about a mile to the south, was used to build the Washington Monument in Baltimore. Designed by architect Robert Mills and erected between 1815 and 1829. This was the first public monument erected to George . . . — Map (db m137696) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — "29, Let's Go!"
"29, let's go!" "To All Who Serve" A Living Tribute to Our Caroline County Veterans and their Families In Honor of their Dedication and Sacrifice For this Nation's Freedom [Engraving on nearby . . . — Map (db m137765) WM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Bell from First Methodist Church
This bell was originally located in the First Methodist (M.E.) Church on Market Street. It is believed the bell was installed during its construction in 1867. — Map (db m137764) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Denton Schoolhouse
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque nearby:] This 1883 schoolhouse and the colonial garden was owned by the . . . — Map (db m137766) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — President Roosevelt's Speech1938 — "The Biggest Day That Denton Had Ever Seen" —
President Franklin D. Roosevelt made a critical address broadcast by radio to the entire nation from this spot at 2:00 p.m. on Labor Day, September 5, 1938. He arrived in Denton in a large motorcade led by the local fire company, National Guard . . . — Map (db m137770) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Two Neighbors * Two Governors * Two StatesThe Citizens of Denton and Caroline County Honor Two Native Sons — Sherman W. Tribbitt, Governor of Delaware, 1973; Harry Roe Hughes, Governor of Maryland, 1979-1987 —
Less than a block in both directions from this site, two young men from this small town grew up as Depression-era neighbors, competed in sports, later entered public service, and rose to the highest elective office in the neighboring states of . . . — Map (db m137768) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — A Paradise For SmugglersNanticoke River, 1861-1863
During the Civil War, Maryland's Eastern Shore became a "smuggler's paradise," as coasting vessels from New York made daily runs with contraband goods to the unguarded rivers of Delaware. Cargoes were then carried by wagon to the upper reaches of . . . — Map (db m137738) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — Civil War Memorial
In memory of the soldiers of the Civil War buried in this cemetery — Map (db m137762) WM
Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — Exeter / Idlewild Mill
Exeter Exeter is one of the oldest remaining structures in the southern part of Caroline County. According to land records, the Reverend Thomas Dill (Dell) was granted a survey certificate and patent for 50 acres of land in Dorchester . . . — Map (db m137763) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — Federalsburg Hometown Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to honor the sacrifices of all men and women who served our country God of compassion, God of dignity and strength, Watch over our veterans In recognition of their loyal service to our nation Bless them with . . . — Map (db m137737) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — Former Clubhouse at Federal FieldHome of the Federalsburg Athletics — The Eastern Shore League —
This building is the former clubhouse at Federal Field, and home to the Federalsburg Athletics of the Class D Eastern Shore League, which was a minor league affiliate of Connie Mack's Philadelphia Athletics. Fifteen ball players from the A's, made . . . — Map (db m137760) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — The Historic Nanticoke Lodge Masonic Temple
. . . — Map (db m137758) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Federalsburg — Veterans Memorial
In Memoriam Dedicated to Veterans of all the wars of the United States — Map (db m137761) WM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Original Vestry House Memorial
This memorial preserves the site of the original vestry house. 1731-1737 — Map (db m137590) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Benedict — On This Farm
Although you see a modern agricultural landscape, the land once known as "Dorsey Farm" and now Serenity Farm, has a history including Native American settlements, tobacco plantations, and military encampments. Since 10,000 B.C. Native Americans . . . — Map (db m137561) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Chuck Foreman FieldDedicated to Walter Eugene "Chuck" Foreman — September 22, 2014 —
Frederick High School alumnus Chuck Foreman excelled at track, basketball, and football. He played defensive back, wide receiver, and running back positions for the University of Miami Hurricanes before being drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in . . . — Map (db m137815) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Loats Female Orphan Asylum of Frederick City
This building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137786) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Old Hill Church
"We may not find tolerance in the workplace or justice in the courtroom, but the church renders to us a peace of mind that few institutions can match. The church is our foundation. It continuously nurtures and inspires us." - William O. Lee Jr. . . . — Map (db m137785) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Schifferstadt
Schifferstadt has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Built in 1758 by Elias Brunner, this farmhouse is an . . . — Map (db m137812) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Schifferstadt Architectural Museum
Schifferstadt, a rare and significant structure, is one of the finest examples of German colonial architecture in the country. Built in 1758 by the Brunner family (early German settlers who owned several farms in the area), it was situated on a . . . — Map (db m137811) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Shab Row
In the years following the Civil War, Shab Row was the center of family life for Frederick's African American population. It was a close-knit community of tinkers, tailors, blacksmiths, wheelwrights, carpenters and cobblers. By the early 1900's, . . . — Map (db m137806) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Tanneries
"These industries [tanneries] have been individually examined by me and will compare favorably in cleanliness with any industry in the city." -Franklin B. Smith, M.D., Report on Sanitary Condition of Frederick County, 1886 — Map (db m137807) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — The Original C. Burr Artz Library
"...Purchase a lot of land in said Frederic eligibly situated and to erect thereon a building suitable to be occupied and used as a public library...the said librry shall at all times be known and called the 'C. Burr Artz Library' and shall at all . . . — Map (db m137810) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — The Story of Community Bridge
In early 1993, artist William M. Cochran suggested to the City of Frederick that the Carroll Street Bridge, a plain concrete structure, could be transformed with paint, imagination and public participation into a work of art. His goal was to . . . — Map (db m137808) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Walter Eugene "Chuck" Foreman#44
Born: October 26, 1950 Place of Birth: Frederick County, Maryland Graduated from Frederick High School in 1969 Attended the University of Miami from 1969 to 1972 where he played defensive back, wide receiver, and running back. . . . — Map (db m137814) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Compton School
Built on New Germany Road (ca 1810-1830). Moved to Spruce Forest in 1989. Restoration made possible by a loan from Maryland Historical Trust. House donated by Cora Broadwater — Map (db m137545) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Markley House
First built north of Salisbury, PA. prior to 1775 by John Markley on an 800-acre tract granted by the King of England. Marked and moved to a new site prior to 1885, and then to Penn Alps in 1985. — Map (db m137548) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Miller House
Built by Benedict Miller, Amish Bishop an Patriarch, and his son Joel B., in 1855 near what is now Springs, PA. Moved to Penn Alps campus in 1986 and restored in 1987 as an Anabaptist Peace Center as well as a memorial to the early Millers' walk of . . . — Map (db m137550) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Schrock Cabin
Build about 1930 as a woodland retreat and writer's studio for Alta Schrock near her parental home at Niverton, Pa. of materials provided by her father. Moved to Penn Alps in 1970. — Map (db m137553) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Site of the National Pike Blacksmith ShopSpruce Forest Artisan Village History Walk
This was the site of a blacksmith ship for shoeing horses and servicing stagecoaches, freighters and Conestogas on the National Road. Up to fourteen coaches per day, each way, passed here during the peak season. Traffic was often so heavy that the . . . — Map (db m137552) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsburg — Winterburg House
Built in 1820 in Grantsville, Md. as a stagecoach stop on the Old National Pike. Food, drink, sleeping accommodations and tickets were for sale here. Reconstructed at Penn Alps in 1967. — Map (db m137554) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Beall Dawson HouseRockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour - Site #7 — Location: 103 West Montgomery Avenue —
Upton Beall, wealthy landowner and clerk of the court, owned 25 slaves when he died in 1827. Although the family did not purchase additional slaves after his death, the three Beall sisters owned 52 individuals by 1860. The Beall family did not . . . — Map (db m137692) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Beall-Dawson House and ParkLost Rockville - 1801 to 1850
The Beall-Dawson property originally extended from Montgomery Avenue west to Forest Avenue and north to Martins Lane. The house was built in 1815 by Upton Beall, Clerk of the Montgomery County Court. It is a 2 1/2 story brick Federal-style home . . . — Map (db m137624) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Beall-Dawson House and ParkExplore Early Rockville Walking Tour - Site # 11 — Location 103 West Montgomery Avenue —
The Beall-Dawson property originally extended from Montgomery Avenue west to Forest Avenue and north to Martins Lane. The house was built in 1815 by Upton Beall, clerk of the Montgomery County Court. The 2 1/2-story brick, Federal-style home is . . . — Map (db m137626) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Hungerford Tavern/Susan Russell HouseExplore Early Rockville Walking Tour - Site #5 — Location: Northwest Corner of West Jefferson and South Washington Street —
Charles Hungerford's tavern was the site of important events in the early history of Montgomery County. Three months prior to the Continental Congress in 1774, local citizens met at Hungerford Tavern to protest oppressive actions of the British . . . — Map (db m137723) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Williams Plains
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1813 — Map (db m137924) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Bishop Thomas John Claggett
1743 -- 1816 First Episcopal Bishop Consecrated in the United States First Chaplain of the U.S. Senate In Washington "How awesome is the dawn sky above the hills of Croom... it makes my heart sing 'Praised Be God'" — Map (db m137752) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Hyattsville — Suffrage Motorcade
On July 31, 1913, "Couriers to Congress" from across the nation converged at the nearby Hyattsville baseball park. Carrying 75,000 signatures demanding immediate action on a constitutional amendment enfranchising women. Hyattsville residents warmly . . . — Map (db m137926) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), North Brentwood — Gwendolyn Britt Senior Activity Center
Gwendolyn Britt Senior Activity Center Opened in 2009 and located in the North Brentwood Municipal Center, The Gwendolyn Britt Senior Activity Center was carefully planned and designed for those aged 60 and over. The Center features a . . . — Map (db m137927) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — Christ Church
The beautiful Gothic structure, dating to 1880, has a steep slate roof, a stone foundation, and is distinctly different from most other church buildings in the region. Note the unusual chimney. This style, known as "lancet," actually dates back to . . . — Map (db m137782) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — Country Store1885-1890
Built for Wells Tolson Later operated by White, Howe & Frampton families — Map (db m137778) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — Cray House
This National Register site is located on a tract of land once called Steven's Adventure, granted to Francis Stevens in 1694. John Denny, a ship carpenter, mechanic and farmer, constructed the earliest northern part of the house soon after he . . . — Map (db m137779) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — Grollman's Store
B. F. Brown's Store, 1877 William Cockey's Store, 1885-1920 — Map (db m137777) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — Old Stevensville Post Office
The precise construction date of this building is not yet known, but the structure appears on an 1877 map and served as the Stevensville Post Office for the first half of the 20th century. The government paid rent of $18.75 per month and $25 per . . . — Map (db m137774) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — Stevensville Bank1909
Individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137775) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — Stevensville Train Depot
This train station was built in 1902, when the Queen Anne's County Railroad Company extended its western terminus 13 miles to the northwest, from Queenstown to Love Point. A connection was made with steamboats for transport across the Chesapeake . . . — Map (db m137781) HM
Maryland (Somerset County), Westover — Old Rehoboth Episcopal Church, Erected in 1682
For more than two hundred years the Parish Church of Coventry Parish, stood on this site. The present building was erected in 1740. It served a large congregation till about 1900 when it fell into decay and was abandoned. The partial restoration of . . . — Map (db m137733) HM
Maryland (Somerset County), Westover — Rehoboth Presbyterian Church
Erected here in 1706 Francis Makemie Began his ministry on land granted to him in 1683 — Map (db m137731) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — The Wye Grist Millcirca 1682
The Wye Grist Mill, one of Maryland's oldest commercial buildings, has operated almost continuously grinding Eastern Shore grains. — Map (db m137771) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Fruitland — Fruitland
Originally called Disharoon's Cross Roads, Fruitland developed at this intersection of roads leading to Princess Anne, the Pocomoke River, and Salisbury. In 1742 the north and east roads became borders of Worcester County. The first house was built . . . — Map (db m137735) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Berlin — Ayres Building
. . . — Map (db m137729) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Berlin — Renaissance Plaza
. . . — Map (db m137727) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Berlin — The Old Globe Theater12 Broad St.
This brick building was originally built as a garage for horse and carriage in 1910. It was converted to a theater for showing "silent flickers" in 1917. A new facade was added to replicate the Spanish Mission Style architecture common to movie . . . — Map (db m137728) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Berlin — Veterans Memorial
To those who served — In honor of the living In memory of the dead [Plaque on the left side of the display:] WWII Killed in Action Berlin Seaman John R. Casper, Merchant Marine, N. Atlantic, 1945 Pvt. James E. . . . — Map (db m137726) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — "Bay Breeze"
[Top plaque:] "Bay Breeze" The Captain Robert S. Craig & Virginia Lee Mason Craig Summer Cottage [Bottom plaque:] This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United . . . — Map (db m137717) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — Fishing Industry
Both commercial and recreational fishing have played an important part in the development and growth of Ocean City, Maryland. The year 1897 marked the beginning of the commercial fishing industry when members of the Ludlam family brought a crew . . . — Map (db m137721) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — Pier Ballroom & Bandshell
The original Ocean City Fishing Pier was financed and constructed by a number of local businessmen and community leaders. Work began in 1904 and after numerous delays was completed in time for the 1907 season. There wasn't an inlet in 1907, so the . . . — Map (db m137722) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — The Henry Hotel
Henry's Hotel survives as one of a few 19th-century structures in downtown Ocean City. Built around 1895, the hotel and lot were acquired by Charles T. and Louisa Henry in December 1926. Previously known as "Henry's Colored Hotel," the enterprise . . . — Map (db m137718) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — Three Ton TireRipley's Believe It or Not! — Ocean City, MD —
Built by the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company of Akron, Ohio, this enormous truck tire stands nearly 12 feet tall and weighs over 6,500 pounds! Used on open-pit mining trucks that can carry up to 240 tons of ore at one time, this tire was actually . . . — Map (db m137725) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — Train Depot
Few of the hundreds of thousands of vacationers today are aware that a railroad once played an important role in the growth of Ocean City, Maryland. The railroad era began in 1876 and lasted for 57 years; it was the primary form of transportation . . . — Map (db m137719) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Dudley — Dudley Soldiers War Memorial
To the memory of Dudley's heroes of 1776 who bore arms to found an independent nation Her patriots of 1861-1865 who offered their lives to preserve the Union Her soldiers in the Spanish and Philippine Wars 1898 This . . . — Map (db m137560) WM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Lancaster — Neck Bridge
Before the building of the center bridge road in 1800, the road from the center to the old common continued south from this point across the Neck Bridge, which was located 60 rods below the present center bridge. It is shown on the 1794 map as 173 . . . — Map (db m137850) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — "Quality First"The Packard Motor Car Company
Packard is remembered and celebrated by people around the world. No company sold more luxury cars between 1925 and 1942, and the distinctive tombstone-shaped grill was a company trademark. The Packard Motor Car Company was originally . . . — Map (db m137591) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Base of OperationsThe Lodge at the Proving Grounds
The Lodge is a landmark, just north of the main gates of the Packard Proving Grounds. Designed by famous architect Albert Kahn in the English Cotswold style, it opened in 1928 as the site's base of operations. The site manager and his . . . — Map (db m137579) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Extreme TestingThe Packard Endurance Runs
Packard combined luxury and quality like no other automobile. The Packard Motor Car Company continually tested its products, even under extreme conditions. Two 25,000-mile tests were run here on the Packard Proving Grounds track, one in . . . — Map (db m137675) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — In Times of WarPackard's "Arsenal of Democracy"
Packard answered the call to arms, turning its automotive expertise to the production of thousands of trucks and Liberty aircraft engines in World War I. The world again turned to Packard's "Master Motor Builders" during World War II, as . . . — Map (db m137634) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Made for SpeedThe Test Track at the Proving Grounds
The high-speed testing track was the key. The 2 1/2-mile oval had 31-degree banked curves which allowed drivers to reach high speeds. On June 14, 1928, after winning that year's Indianapolis 500, race car driver Leon . . . — Map (db m137683) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Packard Proving GroundsPreserving Automotive History
There were wide open spaces here when the Packard Motor Car Company purchased almost a full square mile of land to the west for a new testing facility. The site opened in 1928 with a high-speed 2 1/2-mile oval track . . . — Map (db m137619) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — Packard Takes FlightCharles Lindbergh Visits the Proving Grounds
The "Master Motor Builders" at Packard made some of the world's best engines for both automobiles and aircraft. Packard first manufactured aircraft engines during World War I and continued after that war. Packard used the nearly mile-long . . . — Map (db m137673) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — L2183 — Spring Hill Farm / Utica Nike Base
Spring Hill Farm Peter and Sarah Lerich established Spring Hill Farm in the 1830s. Their daughter Liberetta wrote in 1923 that her parents, opponents of slavery, had built a hiding place into a hillside as part of the Underground Railroad. . . . — Map (db m137840) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — The Vincent FamilyHome at the Proving Grounds
It wasn't just an industrial testing facility. The Proving Grounds was also home to superintendent Charles H. Vincent and his family, from its opening in 1928 to 1942. Charlie and his wife Lucille raised three daughters in the Lodge at the . . . — Map (db m137605) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Utica — Historic Utica
Map (db m137855) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lake Orion — L2087 — Carpenter-Rudd Mill
Joseph Jackson built one of the first sawmills in Orion Township on this site in 1825. During the nineteenth century the waters of Paint Creek powered machines that cut logs into board lumber and ground wheat into flour. In 1835, Powell Carpenter . . . — Map (db m137878) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — L2015 — Paint Creek Millrace
Paint Creek begins in a Brandon Township wetland and flows southeast to Rochester where it empties into the Clinton River. Today a thriving trout stream, the creek was important for waterpower during the nineteenth century. Needham Hemingway dammed . . . — Map (db m137897) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L759 — Rochester
The area known as Rochester was settled in 1817 by James Graham. It was the first permanent settlement in present-day Oakland County. The community was named in honor of Rochester, New York, where many of its pioneers once lived. In 1819 the first . . . — Map (db m137749) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — Northville Valve PlantHenry Ford's Experiment
In Northville, Henry Ford tried something new. His first "village industry" was established here in 1920, to make valves for Model-Ts and tractors, using the Rouge River for power. He hired local workers, and even selected local children . . . — Map (db m137792) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — Roadside Refreshmentat Northville's Silver Spring Well
It has been a Northville landmark for generations. As far back as 1913, city residents enjoyed cold spring water from the artesian well here, and visitors traveled here to fill their bottles. On the other side of the nearby railroad tracks, . . . — Map (db m137902) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — Taking Flightwith Stinson Aircraft Corporation
Detroit was abuzz with aviation fever in the 1920s. Eddie Stinson, a successful aviator and stunt pilot, gained financing from Detroiters to build and test-fly the prototype Stinson Detroiter airplane — the first airplane with an . . . — Map (db m137695) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Maplewood — A History of Change
Looking at this preserve it is hard to imagine the shrill sounds, bustling Shops, and iron horses built and maintained here well over 100 years ago. Native Americans traveled through and used this landscape for thousands of years before . . . — Map (db m137697) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Maplewood — Building the "Skally"
You are standing at the turntable of the St. Paul & Duluth Roundhouse. Round and Round They Go A roundhouse, or engine house, is named for its distinctive shape and used for repairing and storing locomotives. Turntables allowed for efficient . . . — Map (db m137787) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Maplewood — History in Depth
Minnesota has some of the most interesting geological history found anywhere on Earth. Depending on where you stand in the state you can see rock formed 3.6 billion years ago and then exposed during the last ice age. The bedrock soils beneath . . . — Map (db m137788) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Maplewood — Ramsey County Cemetery
Established in 1893 on the grounds of the county almshouse and poor farm, the Ramsey County Cemetery was a "Potter's Field" for indigent persons, the homeless, and patients at Ancker Hospital who died without friends or relatives to pay funeral . . . — Map (db m137610) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The French Build a Fort and a ColonyLes français bâtissent un fort et une colonie — Fort Rosalie —
The French needed a strong defensive fortification in the lower Mississippi River valley to prevent European intrusions from the south, and the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River at the settlement of the Natchez proved ideal. Following the . . . — Map (db m137711) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Natchez PeopleLes Natchez — Fort Rosalie —
The Natchez tribe of American Indians lived in the Natchez bluffs area along the lower Mississippi River valley. Archaeological evidence shows them in the region as far back as 700 CE. A sedentary people, the Natchez lived in nine . . . — Map (db m137690) HM
New York (Clinton County), Clintonville — 537 — Clintonville
Prominent for iron industry, one of region’s largest bloomery forges 1833-1890. Used ore from Arnold Hill, Palmer Hill and Winter Mine. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 537Map (db m137824) HM
New York (Clinton County), East Beekmantown — East Beekmantown
Here lie buried
Revolutionary Soldiers and sons who resisted invading southbound British forces in this forested area
September 6, 1814 East Beekmantown Cemetery Corp.Map (db m137920) HM WM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Highland Turnpike
Incorporated in 1804. An early road — Map (db m137800) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church1902
First church on this site 1861 destroyed by fire 1901. N.Y.S. & National Historical RegistriesMap (db m137802) HM
New York (Columbia County), Elizaville — Calendar House
Built by Samuel Ten Broeck in 1773. Later purchased by Gen. Harry Livingston whose descendants held it until 1861. — Map (db m137803) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m137747) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Livingston - Greenport Line
Livingston a manor 1686, a dist. 1772, included Ancram, Taghkanick, Gallatin, Copake, Clermont. Town 1788. In 1837 Greenport formed from Hudson — Map (db m137804) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Olana Viewshed
This landscape made famous by Hudson River School painter Frederic E. Church 1826-1900. Protected by the Scenic Hudson Land Trust. — Map (db m137859) HM

357 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 157
Paid Advertisement