Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1848 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1648
 
Hartland Salmon Pool Marker<br>(<i>wide view • Saint John River in background</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2019
Hartland Salmon Pool Marker
(wide view • Saint John River in background)
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Hartland — Hartland Salmon Pool / Fosse à saumon de Hartland
(English:) Historic salmon harvesting area of First Nations People and Loyalists. In the first half of the 20th century, the pool became internationally renowned as a sport fisherman's paradise. (Français:) Zone . . . — Map (db m138996) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Hartland — St. John River
Named on June 24, 1604 – the feast day of St. John the Baptist – during the expedition of Sieur de Monts and Samuel de Champlain the river originates in northern Maine and flows 673 kilometers emptying into the Bay of Fundy at Saint . . . — Map (db m138997) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Hartland — Town of Hartland
• Settled 1802 by William Orser United Empire Loyalist near where the Becaguimac Stream flows into the St. John River • Originally known as Mouth of the Becaguimac • Becaguimac — Abekaquimek — Maliseet for salmon bed • . . . — Map (db m138999) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA(The Loyal Company) — 1793-1993 —
English:This plaque commemorates the bicentenary of the 3rd Field Artillery Regiment (The Loyal Company), Royal Canadian Artillery, formed in Saint John, New Brunswick, on May 4, 1793 as “The Loyal Company of Artillery” . . . — Map (db m139194) HM WM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — 7.7cm Feldkanone (Field Cannon) / Canon de terrain
(English:) Captured World War I German 77mm field gun manufactured by Krupp Armaments in Germany and introduced in 1896. Model: C96n/A Calibre: 77mm Maximum Range: 9186 yards (5 Miles) Weight: 1930 lbs. (8 75kg) Rate of Fire: 10 . . . — Map (db m138994) HM WM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Atherton's Harness Store/Magasin de harnais de F.L. AthertonMain Street/rue Principale
F. L. Atherton, Harness Maker, operated on the town square for many years. “Fred,” the plaster model horse, stood silently outside the shop displaying the wares. In 1951 "Fred” was sold to a museum in Maine. . . . — Map (db m138908) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Carleton County Gaol / Prison du Comté de CarletonMaple Street / rue Maple
(English:) The jail was built in 1901, with H. H. Mott as architect and R. Maxwell of Saint John as contractor. It was in use until 1993. Three hangings took place in the yard of this jail: George Gee in 1904, Thomas Cammack in . . . — Map (db m138900) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Carlisle Hotel / Hôtel CarlisleMain Street / Rue Main
(English:) Originally built as the Gibson House in 1873 by Alex Gibson and his son, John, it stood on Connell St. Following the 1881 fire that wiped out most of the buildings on Main St., the Gibsons built a new hotel at the . . . — Map (db m138895) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Connell House/Maison Connell
Lumber merchant and politician, Charles Connell had this house constructed circa 1840. Its pedimented front and freestanding columns make it a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Such houses inspired by classical temples are rare . . . — Map (db m139149) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown121 Chapel Street / 121, rue Chapel
English: This Classic Revival, 2 1/2 story house was built in 1896 for bank manager Mr. George White (1861-1922), and sold to Dr. J.F. Leigh Brown in 1920. Dr. Brown had just returned to Woodstock after being the Chief Medical . . . — Map (db m139199) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. Prescott Private Hospital / Hôpital privé Dr Prescott712 Main Street / 712, rue Main
(English:) The Prescott House was built circa 1840 by Robert Neilson. Dr. Alfred Prescott purchased the building in 1909 for use as a private hospital and it remained in use until closing in 1927. It served as apartments and . . . — Map (db m138899) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. W.D. Rankin House / Maison du Dr. W.D. Rankin737 Main Street / 737, rue Main
English: In 1905 Woodstock physician and surgeon Dr. William D. Rankin, who had been instrumental in establishing the first Carleton County Hospital three years previously, purchased this house from John Fisher, one of the owners . . . — Map (db m139198) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Flemming House / La Maison Flemming126 Chapel Street / 126, rue Chapel
English: Built c1905 for R. Norman Loane, this four square Edwardian house was designed by the same architect who built St. James United Church. Two provincial premiers have lived in this house: J. K. Flemming (premier from 1911 to . . . — Map (db m139195) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — George Connell House/Maison George Connell124 Connell Street / 124, rue Connell
Built circa 1868 this house is considered to be the best example of High Victorian architecture in Woodstock. The house was built on land that was originally part of the grounds of the Honourable Charles Connell House. It is possible that . . . — Map (db m139106) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hay House/La maison Hay134 Connell Street/134, rue Connell
This Edwardian house, the home of Murray Hay, was built in 1904. It has a decorative verandah and a stained glass window in the dormer, facing the scenic Meduxnekeag river. Mr. Hay was a well known businessman for many years. . . . — Map (db m139183) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hon. Charles Connell House/La maison Charles Connell128 Connell Street/128, rue Connell
Built in 1839 for Hon. Charles Connell. It represents the peak of classicism in Woodstock architecture. It is Greek Revival, its essence being the Greek Temple look. Wood is used here to imitate stone. Purchased by the Carleton County . . . — Map (db m139176) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Judge Jones House / Maison du Juge Jones119 Chapel Street / 119, rue Chapel
(English:) This house was built in 1856-1857 for Edwin Fisher, one of the owners of the Small and Fisher foundry. It is considered to belong to the "picturesque cottage style", a variation on gothic. The house is known as the "Judge . . . — Map (db m138993) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — L. P. Fisher Library/Bibliothèque L. P. Fisher679 Main Street/679, rue Principale
L. P. Fisher (1821-1905) was the first mayor of Woodstock, from 1856-1880. He was a lawyer and he advocated free public education and technical training. Due to his advocacy he left a free public hospital (his private residence), a . . . — Map (db m138868) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — L.P. Fisher Vocational School / École professionnelle L.P. Fisher138 Chapel Street / 138, rue Chapel
(English:) Constructed in 1913 in accordance with the wishes of the Lewis Peter Fisher estate, the L.P. Fisher Vocational School was erected to provide vocational training for the county's youth. It was deeded to the County and . . . — Map (db m138990) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean127 Chapel Street / 127, rue Chapel
English: This dwelling is a reminder of an era when small towns produced more of their own food. Built by local carpenter James McLean for his family in 1890, the lot included a barn where they kept the cows which supported a . . . — Map (db m139577) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste132 Chapel Street / 132, rue Chapel
English: Built for the Hon. Charles Connell about 1855, this is probably the oldest surviving brick house in Woodstock. The mansard roof, which gives the house a Second Empire appearance, was added in 1880. The house may have . . . — Map (db m139193) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Newnham & Slipp Pharmacy / Pharmacie Newnham & SlippMain Street / rue Principale
(English:) With "thirty new fish-barrels of my stock in trade", is how William T. Baird described his 1839 start in the drugstore business. Bought in Saint John, his stock traveled up the St. John River - from Fredericton to . . . — Map (db m138898) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Saint James United Church / Église unie Saint James120 Chapel Street / 120, rue Chapel
(English:) Built in 1908 to the Romanesque revival design of architect H.H. Mott and replacing an earlier wooden church on the same site, Saint James's red brick and sandstone exterior make it unique among Woodstock's churches. . . . — Map (db m138992) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — St. Luke's Anglican Church / Église anglicane St. Luke's104 Church Street / 104, rue Church
(English:) Completed in 1884, St. Luke's Anglican Church is the third Anglican Church to be erected on this site, its uncompleted predecessor having been destroyed by the Woodstock Fire of 1881. The first church erected on this site . . . — Map (db m138897) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Wolverton House / Maison Wolverton123 Chapel Street / 123, rue Chapel
English: Built in 1889-1890 in the Classic Revival style for Mr. James Wolverton (1856-1917) and his wife Eva (Hovey) this was originally operated as a boarding house. At the time it was said to have one of the finest bathrooms in . . . — Map (db m139197) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin129 Chapel Street / 129, rue Chapel
English: The Women's Institute is a Canadian innovation, founded at the close of the 19th century as a discussion and action group for rural women. New Brunswick's WI was organized in 1911, at about the same time as Woodstock . . . — Map (db m139196) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Woodstock Baptist Church / Église Baptiste de Woodstock694 Main Street / 694, rue Main
(English:) The early 1800s were a time of religious ferment in New Brunswick, and there are records of Baptist meeting houses in Woodstock as early as 1813. A Free Christian Baptist Church was organized here in 1834. This Gothic . . . — Map (db m138896) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Woodstock World War II Memorial
In honour of the men and women of Canada who served on land, sea, and air overseas and at home during World War II 1939-1945 Dedicated 8 May 2005 60th anniversary V-E Day Lest We Forget — Map (db m138866) WM
New Brunswick (Madawaska County), Saint Leonard — Clarence Bourgoin
(Français:) Né en 1946 à Saint-Léonard N.-B., Clarence Bourgoin s'initie très jeune à la peinture. Vers l'âge de 20 ans il partit vivre à Montréal, perfectionna son talent et revint dans sa ville natale avec un bagage artistique . . . — Map (db m139000) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Fort La Tour
Fort La Tour was built on this site in 1631 by Charles de La Tour, a historical crossroads for First Nations peoples, French settlers and British traders. La Tour’s wife, Francoise-Marie Jacquelin defended the Fort against rival Charles de Menou . . . — Map (db m138888) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Menahkwesk "Saint John"
As the people of the Saint John River/Walastakok River, Maliseets are known to have lived on this river for nearly 12,000 years. When The Europeans first came here in 1604 we were living in a village on an island in this harbor. Maliseets referred . . . — Map (db m138887) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — The Marco Polo / Le Marco PoloThe Fastest Ship in the World / Le navire le plus rapide du monde
(English:)The Marco Polo and the Golden Age of Sail The Fastest Ship in the World Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada In the background you can see Saint John as it appeared in 1851, twenty-six years before the great fire of 1877 . . . — Map (db m138894) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — St. Peter's Anglican Church and Cemetery
Welcome to St Peter's Anglican Church and cemetery! The church building to your left was first opened for worship late in 1837 - Queen Victoria had just come to the throne the previous June! The nation of Canada had not yet been conceived, the . . . — Map (db m138995) HM
Nova Scotia (Antigonish County), Antigonish — St. James United Church
The congregation of St. James was founded in 1804. The present day church was built in 1862. Our ten original memorial windows were installed and dedicated in 1911. They use Christian symbolism to uplift the spirit. St. James has had three church . . . — Map (db m139424) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Glace Bay — Marconi Wireless Station / La Station de Communication Sans Fil de Marconi
English: Having demonstrated the feasibility of transatlantic wireless communication in 1901, Guglielmo Marconi established a permanent station on Cape Breton Island in 1902. When the original Table Head site proved too . . . — Map (db m139300) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Glace Bay — Transatlantic Wireless / T.S.F. Transatlantique / Radiotelegrafico Transatlantico
English: In 1901 Signor Guglielmo Marconi received the first transatlantic radio message at Signal Hill in St. John’s. On 15 December, 1902, he sent the first West to East message from a new station at Table Head to Poldhu, . . . — Map (db m139201) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — First Boy Scout Troop in North America
The first Boy Scout Troop in North America was formed in this village in 1908 by William Glover (1874-1949), a bookkeeper at the North Atlantic Colliery. He was master of the local Masonic Lodge and director of the St. Paul's Anglican Church Choir. . . . — Map (db m139294) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — L'industrie du Charbon au Canada / Canada's Coal Industry
Français: Deux mille pieds au sud-est de cet endroit se trouvent les vestiges de la première exploitation régulière d’une mine de charbon en Amérique, commencée par le Français en 1720. Cette industrie, modeste à son origine, est . . . — Map (db m139292) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — The First Coal Workings in North America
Commercial coal mining began in Port Morien in 1720 after a mine had been opened to supply The Fortress at Louisbourg. This was the first commercial coal mine in North America. After the English victory at Louisbourg in 1758, the mine remained in . . . — Map (db m139293) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Sydney — The Development of Whitney Pier / L'essor De Whitney Pier
English: In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, thousands of immigrants came to Cape Breton from Europe, the West Indies, the United States, and elsewhere to work in iron and steel production. Many settled in Whitney Pier, . . . — Map (db m139295) HM
Nova Scotia (Colchester County), Debert — Isgonish-French River Portage
English: This was the chief route of the French and Indians from Cobequid to Isle St. Jean and Louisbourg and later of the British from Halifax to Charlottetown. Français: C’était la route principale des Français . . . — Map (db m139192) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso
Important as a centre for the North Atlantic fisheries from the 16th century, the islands in Canso Harbour offered a safe haven for fishermen. First frequented by the French and Basques, the area became the site of an extensive . . . — Map (db m138598) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — #5 Radar Unit R.C.A.F StationQueensport/Cole Harbour — 1942-1945 —
During this three year period approximately 180 officers and men operated, serviced, or otherwise gave support to a radar unit on this site. — Map (db m139278) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — We Will Remember/Nous Nous Souviendrons
Welcome to #5 Radar Unit. RCAF Queensport / Cole Harbour. Bienvenue à Ja Sieme unité de radar deP'ARC, située à Queensport / Cole Harbour. This base, along with ten others situated along the rocky shores of Nova Scotia, Was tasked with . . . — Map (db m139288) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Guysborough — GuysboroughThe Court House
The Court House was constructed in 1842-43. It was the third court house built in Guysborough, the original administrative centre of Sydney County from 1785-1827. Sydney County included present-day Guysborough and Antigonish Counties. Built in . . . — Map (db m139264) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Guysborough — Henry Marshall Tory1864-1947
Born at Port Shoreham, N.S., educated at Guysborough Academy and at McGill, Tory served as professor at McGill (1893-1905), Principal of McGill College, Vancouver (1906-7), first President of the University of Alberta (1908-28), and . . . — Map (db m138221) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — Tor BayFirst Successful Direct Commercial Cable Landing
To commemorate the landing at Tor Bay (Port Faraday) on September 15, 1875, of the first direct commercial cable to successfully transmit messages from England to the mainland of North America — Map (db m138590) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Port Felix — Captain Savalette
Every summer for more than 40 years, beginning in 1565, this Basque fisherman from Saint-Jean-de-Euz sailed to Eskikewa'kik, a district of Mi’kma’ki within the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq. Here, his crew caught codfish, which . . . — Map (db m138605) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Port Felix — Welcome to Place Savalette
Welcome to Place Savalette This park has been developed to mark and explain the site of the historic 1607 meeting between Basque fisherman/entrepreneur, Captain Savalette and explorer/cartographer Samuel de Champlain on the shores . . . — Map (db m138613) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — The Canal
The Whitehead Canal is located between Whitehead Harbour and Witch Cove. Prior to its construction, fishermen had to haul their boats over a narrow beach between Whitehead and Molasses Harbour (now Port Felix) at a spot known as "The Haulover". . . . — Map (db m139515) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Rotary Performance Platform & Lookoff/ Scéne et belvédère des clubs Rotary
In honour of the 100th Anniversary of Rotary International, Rotary Clubs of Halifax are pleased to join Waterfront Development Corporation limited in creating this performance platform and lookoff as a gift to the people of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m139326) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Samuel Cunard(1787-1865)
English: Samuel Cunard was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on November 21, 1787. He was the eldest son of Abraham and Margaret Cunard, United Empire Loyalists who emigrated from Philadelphia (Germantown) to Nova Scotia in 1783. His . . . — Map (db m139200) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Sir Samuel Cunard1787-1865
English: Born in Halifax of Loyalist parentage, Cunard founded in the maritime provinces a commercial empire embracing banking, lumber, land, coal and, especially, shipping. Involved in transatlantic steam navigation from its early . . . — Map (db m139202) HM
Nova Scotia (Hants County), Stanley — Alden Nowlan
In memory Alden Nowlan Jan. 25, 1933- June 27, 1983. Birthplace, childhood home Stanley, N.S. Poet, novelist, playwright There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel's veins and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose . . . — Map (db m138569) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Cheticamp — Jeanne Dugas
The life story of Jeanne Dugas illustrates the experiences of Acadíans in the second half of the 18th century. She and her family fled Ile Royale (Cape Breton Island) to escape the deportation of 1758, but were later captured by the . . . — Map (db m139618) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre
Father Pierre Fiset, Chéticamp parish priest, is generally recognized as being responsible for starting the gypsum mine in Chéticamp in 1907. When news broke that a prospector named Grandin had found gypsum in Chéticamp, Father Fiset . . . — Map (db m139335) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Petit Etang — Canada War Memorial
They will never know the beauty of this place see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus, all we enjoy we owe to them, men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the Seven Seas dedicated to the memory of Canadians who . . . — Map (db m139476) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Canso Causeway"Air Lorg Nan Eilean," The Road to the Isles
Making a Living in the Strait of Canso Area since 1784. Transportation and Communication Early Years: Stage Coach Lines, Ferries, Mail Service Link, Telegraph Offices, American Consular Offices, Railroads, Boston Boats and Coastal . . . — Map (db m139296) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Construction of the Canso Canal / Construction du Canal de Canso
English: Work began on a causeway and canal complex between Cape Breton Island and mainland Nova Scotia in 1953 under a tri-party agreement between the federal Department of Transport, the Nova Scotia Department of Highways and . . . — Map (db m139301) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — History of the Canso Canal / Historique du Canal de Canso
English: The Strait of Canso separates Cape Breton Island from the mainland of Nova Scotia. The Mi'kmaq were the original settlers in the area until the 1780's, when other settlements were established on both shores. Historically, . . . — Map (db m139299) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Operation of the Canso Canal / Exploitation du Canal
English: A canal is a manmade waterway connecting two bodies of water. When one body of water is higher than the other, the canal uses a lock, in this case, a tidal lock consisting of two sets of gates, to compensate for the . . . — Map (db m139302) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — The Building of the Canso Causeway / La Construction de la Levée de Canso
English: The foundation of this massive stone structure rests 66 metres below the Strait of Canso, creating the world’s deepest causeway. More than 9 million tonnes of rock fill were dumped into the strait between 1952 and 1955 . . . — Map (db m139303) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Acacia Villa School
This cairn marks the site of the Acacia Villa School for Boys. Founded in 1852 by Joseph R. Hea, he was principal until 1860. Arthur McNutt Patterson was principal from 1860 to 1907. His son, Arthur H. Patterson was principal from 1907 to . . . — Map (db m139030) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Grand Pre Marsh Body1760-1995
This plaque commemorates the 235th year of the Grand Pre Marsh Body 1760-1995 in honour of the dykeland farmers, past and present, for their 235 years of dedication and sacrifice, and their continuing struggle to protect and maintain these . . . — Map (db m138789) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Landscape of Grand Pré/ le Payage de Grand PréPlan of Horton Town/ Le Plan De Ville de Horton
In 1759, the British authorities subdivided Nova Scotia into counties. The County of Kings was divided into three townships: Cornwallis; Falmouth and Horton. The Horton Town Plot (or plan), sited on the hills above Horton Landing and . . . — Map (db m139033) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Site de l'école Acacia Villa/Site of Acacia Villa School1852-1920
Fondue avant l'avènement de l'education publique en Nouvelle-Écosse, cette école a offert une éducation classique et morale aux fils de familles aisées des Maritimes. L'école accueillait quelques externes, mais la plupart des élèves étaient . . . — Map (db m138917) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Hortonville — Horton Landing Cross
Le lit desséché du crique que l’on aperçoit dans le pré à quelques pas d’ici est l’endroit ou furent embarques sur les chaloupes les victimes du Grand Dérangement de 1755 pour être transbordes sur les transports ancres dans le Bassin des Mines. . . . — Map (db m138777) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — George Frederick Cameron1854-1885
English: Born and educated in New Glasgow, Cameron, having graduated from the Boston Law School, practiced law in the United States before joining Queen’s University in 1882. The following year he became editor of the Kingston . . . — Map (db m139298) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — The Beginning of New Glasgow
was in August 1784 with the arrival from Kirkhill, Inverness-shire, Scotland, of Thomas Fraser (Deacon) 1749 — 1813 who took possession of this land and created from the forest a farm home, the first in that part of the East River Lower . . . — Map (db m139297) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), South Harbour — South Harbour War Memorial
In grateful memory of the men who gave their lives in two World Wars 1939-1945 E.J. Cameron D.C. MacDonald T. J. MacDonald R. N. MacInnes H. J. MacLennan C. MacLennan E. MacLennan N. MacLennan J. A. MacNeil 1914-1918 M. . . . — Map (db m139337) WM
Ontario, Ottawa — John Macoun(1831-1920)
English: This field naturalist and botanist was the first to survey, document, and categorize Canadian flora in a systematic manner. After Confederation, he travelled west for the Canadian Pacific Railway with surveying parties . . . — Map (db m139504) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — United Empire Loyalists
English: The United Empire Loyalists played a prominent role in the development of this country. In particular, the officers and men of the Royal Highland Emigrants, the King's Royal Regiment of New York, the Loyal Rangers and the . . . — Map (db m139503) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Havre Saint Pierre
Established in 1720, Havre Saint Pierre was once the largest settlement in the colony of Isle Saint Jean. On a summer day in the 1730s this was a busy place. Here - a fleet of tiny shallops, sails snapping as they set out for the . . . — Map (db m139397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Mussel Power/Les moules plus d'une utilité
The bottom of the bay is like a giant compost bin. Seaweed and shellfish collect here when they die, and form a thick, black mud. The decomposing shells create high lime content, making "mussel mud” a perfect fertilizer for the . . . — Map (db m139444) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — St. Peters
Early British settlers were more interested in farming than in fishing. By the early 1800s, a small village began to grow farther inland. Here the bay was narrow and easily crossed - first by ferry, later by bridge. St. Peters . . . — Map (db m139407) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — Murray Harbour War Memorial
In grateful tribute to the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice have made Canada great is this shrine dedicated Killed in action or died in service War of 1914-1918 Gordon Mackay Clarence Reynolds . . . — Map (db m139450) WM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Former Summerside Post Office / L'Ancien Bureau de Poste de Summerside
English: This structure, built 1883-1886, was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller who served as Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works from 1881 to 1896. This basic design with a double entrance, steep roof, . . . — Map (db m139466) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Georgina Fane Pope1862-1938
English: Born in Charlottetown, Georgina Pope chose nursing as a career. After training and working in the United States, she was selected in 1899 to superintend Canada’s military nurses in the South African War. She was the first . . . — Map (db m139478) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — The Summerside Armoury
The Summerside Armoury has been a landmark on Summer Street since 1911. An Armoury is a military structure where arms, ammunition and military equipment are stored. It serves as the headquarters for a militia, a volunteer army made up of local . . . — Map (db m139479) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Canoe Cove — Canoe Cove School
The School For more than a century the Canoe Cove School provided state-of-the-art education to students grades one through ten. This sturdy heritage building launched the successful careers of doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, . . . — Map (db m139457) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsHistory of the Cavendish Area/Histoire de la région de Cavendish.
History of the Cavendish Area. There is archaeological evidence that ancestors of the present-day Mi’kmaq lived on the shores of nearby New London Bay. It is very likely these early Islanders would have travelled here to hunt, . . . — Map (db m139369) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsWreck of the Marco Polo/L'épave du Marco Polo
25 July, 1883. Thanks to a weekend of violent storms there is a heavy sea running. A few farmers watch with astonishment as a magnificent sailing vessel, driven by a mountain of canvas, slams onto the Cavendish sandbars. The air iš alive . . . — Map (db m139391) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsSea Stories/Légendes de la mer
Sea Stories From the first peoples through modern times, the fishery has been vital to the people living along this shore. As Lucy Maud Montgomery remembered: Many of the farmers had a fishing house on the shore field of their . . . — Map (db m139429) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsCavendish and Tourism/Cavendish et le tourisme
Toward the end of the 1800s, Prince Edward Island became known as an excellent vacation spot. Its clean air, rural landscapes and beautiful beaches were offered to travellers made weary by the stress of urban life. By the 1920s, thanks . . . — Map (db m139431) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), New London — Lucy Maud Montgomery Birthplace
Lucy Maud Montgomery, daughter of Hugh John Montgomery and Clara Woolner MacNeill, was born in this house on November 30, 1874. — Map (db m138186) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), North Rustico — North Rustico War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served their country in World War 1, World War II, and the Korean War and in grateful tribute to those who made the supreme sacrifice. W.W. II W.O. II Fredrick L. Bulman Pte. . . . — Map (db m139243) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Port-la-Joye – Fort Amherst
English: From 1720 to 1768 this site was an important colonial base, first for France and later Great Britain. One of the first permanent French settlements on the island, Port-la-Joye served as the seat of colonial government for . . . — Map (db m139447) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Survey of Prince Edward Island / Arpentage de Ľîle-du-Prince-Édouard
English: In 1764 the British government decided to undertake a systematic survey of its North American territory, recently enlarged in the war with France. For this purpose Captain Samuel Holland was put in charge of the northern . . . — Map (db m139436) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — The Deportation of the Inhabitants of Île Saint-JeanLa Déportation Des Habitants de L’île Saint-Jean
English: Undertaken here in 1758, this expulsion was one of the largest and the deadliest of the Acadian deportations that took place between 1755 and 1762. As part of a strategy to dismantle the French colony of Île Saint-Jean . . . — Map (db m139446) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Wood Islands — The Wood Islands Family of Lighthouses
The three buildings on this site represent a "family” and all were once navigational aids. The lighthouse beacon is still maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard as part of the marine communication system used by ship traffic in the . . . — Map (db m138223) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Siège de Québec, 1759 / The Siege of Québec, 1759
Français: Le siège de Québec se déroule du 26 juin au 18 septembre 1759, durant la guerre de Sept Ans. Le 13 septembre, les troupes britanniques sous le major-général James Wolfe vainquent une force composée de militaires . . . — Map (db m139497) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — L'Immigration des Filles du Roi en Nouvelle-France / Immigration of the Filles du Roi to New France
Français: De 1663 à 1673, quelque huit cents filles du roi immigrent en Nouvelle-France dans le but de s’y marier et d’y fonder une famille. Ces Françaises, pour la plupart des orphelins sans le sou, voient leur passage et leur . . . — Map (db m139498) HM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-André — L'Église de Saint-André / The Church of Saint-André
Français: Cette 'église, construite entre 1805 et 1811 pour remplacer une chapelle datant de 1791, rappelle les églises du Régime français érigées selon le plan récollet. Elle comprend une nef sans transept se terminant sur une . . . — Map (db m139483) HM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-Denis-de-la-Bouteillerie — Jean-Charles Chapais(1811-1885)
Français: Né à Rivière-Ouelle, Chapais s'établit à Saint-Denis, où il devint un marchand prospère et un politicien influent. Il promut activement le développement économique et culturel de sa région natale. Reconnu pour sa . . . — Map (db m139496) HM
Quebec (Témiscouata MRC), Rivière-Bleue — La gare de Rivière-Bleue / The Rivière-Bleue Train Station
Français: La gare de Rivière-Bleue est un vestige patrimonial évoquant le souvenir d'une époque récente dynamique dans l'histoire de la région du Transcontinental. Entre 1908 et 1914, le village de Rivière-Bleue vit à l'heure de . . . — Map (db m139495) HM
El Salvador, Ahuachapán, Concepción de Ataco — The Ataco Catholic Church and 2001 Earthquake
El pueblo católico de Concepción de Ataco, agradece a Dios todopoderoso. Al mismo tiempo otorga el presente reconocimiento a: La Provincia Franciscana de la Inmaculada Concepción de Nueva York, en especial a su Provincial Fr. Roberto M. . . . — Map (db m137769) HM
El Salvador, Cuscatlán, Suchitoto — SuchitotoParque San Martín
Suchitoto Suchitoto es un municipio del departamento de Cuscatlán, El Salvador. Su territorio ha sido habitado desde la época precolombina, y también fue el sitio donde se fundó la Villa de San Salvador en 1528, que tuvo una breve . . . — Map (db m137776) HM
El Salvador, Cuscatlán, Suchitoto — The Church of Santa Lucía
La Iglesia Santa Lucía: La Iglesia de Santa Lucía, fue construida en 1853, su estilo es de la época Republicana, siendo este uno de los principales atractivos de Suchitoto. Dento de las características arquitectónicas más destacables . . . — Map (db m137979) HM
El Salvador, La Libertad, Antiguo Cuscatlán — Mother Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Dávalos
Sierva de Dios Madre Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Davalos Fundadora de la Congregación de Hermanas Josefinas México 27 de agosto 1829 24 de abril 1884 “Dios me ve” English translation: Servant of God . . . — Map (db m137904) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Caboose
Caboose El Caboose: "Furgón de Cola" o parte posterior de un tren, era usado para que la tripulación pudiera vigilar el recorrido de éste. Dentro se colocaban los marcadores y se instalaba un trabajador que portaba una bandera color . . . — Map (db m138089) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — El Niño Canillón (The Tall Boy)
El Niño Canillón. Este coche es conocido por los ferrocarrileros como el "niño canillón", dado que su altura sobrepasa el de los demás coches. De manufactura estadounidense, fue importado por la IRCA cerca de los años treinta, y lo . . . — Map (db m137985) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — General José Artigas
Gral. Jose Artigas Libertador de Uruguay --- La Ciudad de Montevideo Cuna de Artigas a la Rca. De El Salvador 1960 English translation: General José Artigas Liberator of Uruguay --- The City of Montevideo, Home . . . — Map (db m138524) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Juan Pablo Duarte
Juan Pablo Duarte Fundador de la Republica Dominicana Donado. Camara de Comercio Dominico-Salvadoreña 1984-85 Pdte. Francisco Z. Bender Vice-Pdte. Victor. Silhy English translation: Juan Pablo . . . — Map (db m138526) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Maintenance and Personnel
Mantenimiento y Personal En la década de 1930, son importadas vía marítima desde Estados Unidos, una serie de máquinas destinadas a garantizar el funcionamiento del ferrocarril de oriente que era propiedad de la International . . . — Map (db m138132) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Second Class Railcar
Coche de Segunda. El coche de segunda clase fue utilizado por la empresa norteamericana IRCA en el tren oriental, contaba con asientos tapizados, reclinables y mejor distribuidos, de tal forma que brindaban un viaje más confortable a . . . — Map (db m138087) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Steam Crane
Grua de Vapor. Esta grúa de vapor fue construida en 1926 por The Birgminghan Railway Cariiage & Wagon Co, con sede en Smethwick (Inglaterra) y es una de las piezas que fueron traídas al país por la empresa inglesa que operaba el . . . — Map (db m138129) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — The 800s Locomotives
Locomotoras 800’s. En 1964 la empresa norteamericana que tenía la concesión del ferrocarril de oriente, adquiere 16 locomotoras Diesel de la marca General Electric (números de la 851 a la 866). Con ello la empresa contó con los . . . — Map (db m138128) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — The Cuscatlán Car or Presidential Wagon
Coche Cuscatlán o Vagón Presidencial Los primeros registros del Coche Cuscatlán datan de 1912, fecha en que la International Railway of Central America (IRCA) lo compró a la American Car And Foundry (EUA). El coche es un equipos de . . . — Map (db m138018) HM
El Salvador, Sonsonate — Monsignor Oscar Arnulfo Romero Galdámez
El obispo, el clero, las religiosas y el pueblo católico de la Diócesis de Sonsonate. Conmemorando el 25 aniversario de la muerte martirial del Siervo de Dios Mons. Oscar Arnulfo Romero Galdamez con gratitud y admiración a tan insigne . . . — Map (db m137841) HM WM
Germany, Bavaria (Berchtesgadener Land), Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden — Pfarrkirche St. Sebastian
(German) Pfarrkirche St. Sebastian Anno 1512 Erbaut unter Fürstpropst Gregor Rainer Erweitert 1697/1700 (English) Parish Church St. Sebastian Built in 1512 under Prince-provost Gregor Rainer . . . — Map (db m139190) HM
India, Kerala (Ernakulam), Kochi — Great War Memorial at St. Francis Catholic Church
To the Glory of God and in Memory of Lieut: Col: J.J.P. Quinn, I.R. Maj: A.P. Atal, I.M.S. Maj: J.N. Black, Somerset Light Infantry. Capt: B.V. Falls, Royal Irish Fusiliers. Capt: W.A. Gover Capt: I.F. Mackay, Gordon Highlanders. Capt: E.G . . . — Map (db m138465) WM
India, Kerala (Ernakulam), Kochi — Paradesi Synagogue
Paradesi Synagogue Stabilisation and Conservation of the Clock Tower A project of World Monuments Fund Jewish Heritage Program In partnership with the Jewish Community of Cochin and the National Culture Fund The World Monuments Fund (WMF) . . . — Map (db m137909) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Béal na mBláth — Béal na mBláth Ambush Site

Welcome to the Ambush Site at Beal na Blath, where General Michael Collins, "Commander-in-Chief" of The Irish Army, was assassinated on 22nd August 1922.

Michael Collins and his party left Cork City at approximately 6am that . . . — Map (db m139617) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Enniskeane — First Meeting of Ból Chumann na hÉireann(Irish Road Bowling Association)

The first meeting held in Enniskeane on the 22nd Nov. 1954

'Let bowl playing flourish for future generations' — Map (db m139612) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Kilbrittain — Kilbrittain Castle

Kilbrittain Castle is the oldest inhabited castle in Ireland. The Castle is said to date from 1035 where the original fortress was thought to have been built by Mahon, grandson of Brian Boru. It has been occupied by Irish . . . — Map (db m139602) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Kilbrittain — The Book of Lismore

THE BOOK OF LISMORE. It is believed that the Book of Lismore was compiled in the 15th Century to commemorate the marriage of the Gaelic lord Finghin Mac Cárthaigh Riabhach, of Kilbrittain Castle, to Caitilín, daughter of the . . . — Map (db m139606) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — ~ The Family ~Spirit of Macroom

Commemorating the visit of President Mary Robinson

February 24th 1996 —————————— Commissioned and Unveiled by Dermot Desmond First recipient of The . . . — Map (db m139626) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — 300th Anniversary of the Granting of Market Rights to Macroom Town
. . . — Map (db m139642) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — Macroom and the Beautiful Lee ValleyCounty Cork • Ireland

Bealick Mill

This recently restored corn mill, located a short distance outside Macroom on the Coachford road, marks the site of an area and a building of deep historical significance. In 978 Brian Boru defeated the . . . — Map (db m139654) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — Macroom Castle Demesne

History. The first Castle is thought to have been built here in the reign of King John between 1200 and 1250. Macroom Castle was the home of McCarthys, Lord of Muskerry, after the McCarthys displace[d] the O'Flynns, previous . . . — Map (db m139648) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — United Irishmen 1798 - 1803Grateful RemembranceAr dheis Dé raibh a n-anamacha.

CAPTURED BY CROWN FORCES AND

EXECUTED

Ole O'Riordan • Cormac McCarthy • Owen McCarthy Callaghan McCarthy • Timothy McCarthy • John Duggan William Duggan • Owen Scanlan • Timothy Buckley David Breen • Timothy Bohilly • . . . — Map (db m139647) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — War MemorialFor God and Country

Erected to the memory of the men of the 7th and 8th Batts Cork No 1 Brigade I.R.A. who fell in . . . — Map (db m139643) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Lusitania Memorial Garden

Lusitania Memorial Garden officially opened by Minister Simon Coveney T.D. in the presence of Cllr. Séamus McGrath Mayor of County Cork.

7th May . . . — Map (db m139595) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Nineteenth Century Ship's Bollard

On the 12th of February 1874, the 500 ton German barque HERCULES von BARTH, was en route from Barrow-in-Furness to Cardiff to collect a cargo of coal. As the result of a storm the ship was driven westward in a strong gale. It . . . — Map (db m139529) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Old Head of Kinsale / An Seancheann

Arrivals and farewells Old Head, legendary seat of the kings of the southern half of Ireland, marks the start or end of many journeys.

[Background map caption reads] The siege and battle of Kinsale, 1601 from the . . . — Map (db m139528) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — R. M. S. Lusitania

In memory of those who sailed on the R. M. S. Lusitania on 7th May 1915. This perforated image has 34,513 holes in 7 different sizes. Manufactured by Graepel Perforators and Weavers Ltd., Kinsale. Donated to . . . — Map (db m139527) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — RMS Lusitania Lifeboat Davitgifted to The Lusitania Museum at the Old Headby Gerry Doyle, his wife Josie and their family —

A VERY SPECIAL AND PERSONAL REQUEST

August 2017 Kilkeel, Newry, Co Down

Dear Mr Hannaway, I am writing this letter to you personally, in the hope that the matter in question can be dealt with promptly and a . . . — Map (db m139562) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Triangulation PillarGrid Reference No W624409

A handcast concrete pillar tapering to a flat top Part of a network of surveying stations used by Ordinance [sic - Ordnance] Survey Ireland for mapping Erected 1959 — Map (db m139559) HM

Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — Architectural Elements of the Church-Synagogue
The stones exhumed form the fill beneath the mosaic floors of the Byzantine building (IV-V century) can be classified: (1) bases, more or less preserved, often having traces of plaster; (2) imposts of a double-arch with a beautifully worked cornice; . . . — Map (db m139218) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — Byzantine Mosaics
The most important mosaic floors are found inside the Basilica in the area in front of the Holy Grotto. Those shown here come from the monastery on the south side of the Byzantine Church. They had the value of "sealed levels" having preserved some . . . — Map (db m139256) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — A Bit Hilani Type PalaceTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: This spacious palace faced a paved courtyard that led to the city gate. Its wide entrance opened into a vestibule and it had a throne hall surrounded by eight service chambers. This palace is of Neo-Hittite . . . — Map (db m139345) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Ancient RoadTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: This is the ancient road leading to the city gate. The road was paved during the 10th century B.C.E. and was in use until the 3rd century C.E. It was paved on a series of terraces seen in the slope. Farther ahead . . . — Map (db m139308) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Inner City GateTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The inner city gate includes four chambers, two on each side. In this chamber vessels for offerings at the high places were kept. The other three chambers served as granaries. The city gate was destroyed by the . . . — Map (db m139336) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Outer City GateTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The outer city gate was part of the heavy fortification that protected the city. It included an inner city gate and four solid towers. Between the two gates was a spacious paved courtyard. The gate of Bethsaida . . . — Map (db m139317) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Sacrificial High PlaceTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The inhabitants of the kingdom of Geshur were Aramaens and the high places and ritual objects reflect their religion. On the sacrificial high place were found fragments of basins, horned altars, and an incised . . . — Map (db m139343) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — StreetTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Whenever he went, to village or town or farm, they laid the sick in the streets and begged him to let them simply touch the edge of his cloak; and all who touched him were healed. Mark 6:56Map (db m139383) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Fisherman HouseTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee when he saw Simon and his brother Andrew at work with casting-nets in the lake; for they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, 'Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' At once they left . . . — Map (db m139366) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Winegrower HouseTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: Wine is like life to men, if you drink it in moderation. What is life to a man who is without wine? It has been created to make men glad. Sirach 31:27Map (db m139374) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Baptistery — Kursi —
English Text: In the time of the most God - beloved Stephanos the priest and abbot was made the mosaic of the Photisterion in the month of December fourth indiction in the time of the pious and Christ - beloved our King Mauricius . . . — Map (db m139423) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Kursi
Kursi, east of the Sea of Galilee, is identified with Gergessa, or with "the Land of the Gardarenes," of the New testament, where the miracle of the swine took place. (Luke 8:26-39) There were three main periods of settlement at Kursi: . . . — Map (db m139392) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 12-inch Cannon
Cañón de 12 pulgadas Descripción Pieza de bronce y de fabricación estadounidense, utilizada por el ejército contra fortificaciones y tropas, este tipo de cañones se utilizaron por primera vez en la guerra de independencia de los . . . — Map (db m139640) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 24-pounder Cannon
Cañón Largo de 24 libras Descripción Fue empleado entre los siglos XVII y XVIII, conocido como cañon de sitio o de plaza; por sus características para atacar fortificaciones, considerado entonces como el más potente. Los proyectiles . . . — Map (db m139641) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 24-pounder Gribeauval Cannon
Cañón de 24 libras Gribeauval Descripción Pieza de artillería de campaña de diseño frances, el cual fue desarrollado por el gral. francés Jean Baptiste Vaquette de Gribeauval. En el ejército, era traccionado en carruajes ligeros y con . . . — Map (db m139655) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 400th Anniversary of the Virgin at Tepeyac
IV Centenario 1531 1931 Homenaje del pueblo mexicano – especialmente de los feligreses de este templo a su augusta reina y madre Santa Maria de Guadalupe en ocasión del IV Centenario de sus apariciones en el Tepeyac dic-12 de 1931 . . . — Map (db m138310) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Antonio Caso
Antonio Caso (1883-1946) Nació el 19 de diciembre en la ciudad de México, filósofo mexicano, fue rector de la entonces llamada Universidad Nacional de México de diciembre de 1921 a agosto de 1923. Pionero de la filosofía de lo . . . — Map (db m138324) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Captains Gustavo Garmendia and Federico Montes
El Estado Mayor Presidencial, conmemora “100 Años de la Lealtad Institucional” y rinde un homenaje a la valentía de los: Capitanes Gustavo Garmendia y Federico Montes, quienes el 18 de febrero de 1913 en el Salon de . . . — Map (db m139557) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Carronade
Carronada Descripcion Pieza corta de artillería naval que tuvo su apogeo a finales del siglo XVIII, construida en bronce, cañón disenado por el General Robert Melville y fundido en Carrón (Escocia). Fue empleado por fuerzas del . . . — Map (db m139610) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Causeway of the Heroic Military College
Calzada del Heroico Colegio Militar Es el circuito que rodea la primera sección del Viejo Bosque de Chapultepec. Se le dio el nombre de Calzada del Heroico Colegio Militar en octubre de 1973, al conmemorarse el 150 (CL) Aniversario . . . — Map (db m138387) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Fallen Mexican Officers of the Battle of Molino del ReyOficiales Caídos en la Batalla del Molino del Rey
1847 – 8 de septiembre. – 1925 En este lugar ofrendaron su vida por la patria defendiendo su soberanía contra el invasor. Los CC..- Gral. de Div. Antonio León. Gral. Corl. Lucas Balderas; Corls Gregorio Gelati, Juan . . . — Map (db m139594) WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Fernando Montes de Oca, Child Hero of MexicoFernando Montes de Oca, Niño Héroe
En este lugar murio la mañana del 13 de Septiembre de 1847, en defensa de la patria contra la invasión norteamericana el cadete del Colegio Militar Fernando Montes de Oca Homenaje de la Asociacion del Heroico Colegio Militar . . . — Map (db m138417) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Fountain of the Frogs
Fuente de las Ranas Esta fuente es una réplica de la existente en el parque María Luisa de Sevilla, España. Fue hecha en 1920 por la Casa Montealbán de Cerámica, de Barrio de Triana de esa ciudad, por encargo del licenciado Miguel . . . — Map (db m139644) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco Díaz Covarrubias
Francisco Díaz Covarrubias (1833-1889) Nació el 23 de enero en Xalapa Veracruz, ingeniero, geógrafo, cientifico y diplomático mexicano, destacó por sus actividades para el estudio geográfico del territorio mexicano y por contribuir . . . — Map (db m138313) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Guillermo Prieto
Guillermo Prieto (1818-1897) Nació en la ciudad de México, Poeta y Político liberal, anticlerical y populista, fue un personaje importante de la política de nuestro país, en la que participó activamente, fue Ministro de Hacienda y . . . — Map (db m138303) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Guillermo Prieto
Guillermo Prieto (1818-1897) Nació en la ciudad de México, Poeta y Político liberal, anticlerical y populista, fue un personaje importante de la política de nuestro país, en la que participó activamente, fue Ministro de Hacienda y . . . — Map (db m138462) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Justo Arosemena
“La libertad no es un don gratuito que se da a los pueblos; se conquista con sangre y voluntad” Justo Arosemena Visita del Excelentisimo Señor Aristides Royo Presidente de la Republica de Panama 19 de marzo de 1981 . . . — Map (db m138302) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Molino del Rey
Molino del Rey El Molino del Rey se construyó a finales del siglo XVI bajo el nombre de Molinos de "El Salvador" y fue originalmente destinado a la fabricación de harina. El área donde se edificó era conocida entonces como las Lomas . . . — Map (db m139365) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Springs and Aqueducts
Manantiales y acueductos En la ladera norte del cerro, frente al túnel del elevador, y sobre la actual avenida Chapultepec subsisten los restos de los antiguos acueductos coloniales que alimentaron de agua potable la Ciudad de México . . . — Map (db m138463) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Heroic Cadets
Los Cadetes Heroicos Una de las más amargas experiencias de la joven nación mexicana fue, sin duda, la guerra con Estados Unidos entre los años 1846-1848, cuando el país vio ocupada su capital por el ejecito norteamericano y perdió . . . — Map (db m138464) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Santa Fe Aqueduct
Acueducto "Santa Fe” Data del siglo XVI, construido por disposición del Virrey Martín Enríquez Almanza, para abastecer agua desde Santa Fe hasta Chapultepec, fue considerada una importante obra de ingeniería hidráulica . . . — Map (db m139601) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Dr. Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda
Dr. Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda 5 de diciembre de 1898 – 1 de octubre de 1992 Médico investigador, académico y político acambayense; colaboró con el doctor Hans Zinsser en la Universidad de Harvard para elaborar la vacuna contra . . . — Map (db m139550) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Execution of Lindoro Cajiga
El 25 de diciembre de 1861 fue fusilado en Acambay, Lindoro Cajiga, captor de don Melchor Ocampo. Fue colgado su cadáver en este árbol para hacer justicia al sacrificio de este mártir de la Reforma. Patrimonio Cultural del . . . — Map (db m139469) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Foundation of the "Acambayense League"
El 12 de octubre de 1925, los hijos de Acambay, radicados en el D.F., fundamos la “Liga Acambayense”, llevando en el pensamiento la educación de la niñez de nuestro pueblo por la patria y por la raza. Mexico, D.F., . . . — Map (db m139012) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — History of Acambay
La denominación Acambay proviene del otomí Okambaye cuyo significado es Peñascos de Dios 22-Oct-1537 el Rey Carlos V concede a Don Mateo de San Juan Chimalpopoca Mixcoatl la Estancia de San Miguel Acambay 5 de diciembre de 1898 nace en . . . — Map (db m139204) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Huamango Archaeological Site
Sitio Arqueológico de Huamango Huamango fue un asentamiento otomí habitado entre los años 900 y 1300 de la era cristiana, su edificación elevada sobre la Mesa de San Miguel permitía a sus pobladores, no sólo disfrutar la vista . . . — Map (db m138736) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda
En esta casa nacio el ilustre sabio Doctor Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda Acambay honra a quien honra su nombre Abril de 1949 English translation: In this house was born the illustrious and learned Doctor Maximiliano . . . — Map (db m138847) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Mexican Independence, Revolution and Acambay Earthquake
Honorable Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Acambay 2009-2012, en testimonio a la conmemoración del Bicentenario del inicio de la Independencia de México 1810-1910 Centenario del inicio de la Revolución Mexicana 1910-2010 Centenario del . . . — Map (db m139555) HM WM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Otomíes of Acambay
Homenaje a los otomíes de Acambay que en mayo de 1848 fueron reprimidos al asociarce para pugnar por el mejoramiento de la raza indígena. Patrimonio Cultural del Edo. de México, 1978. ***** English . . . — Map (db m139546) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Parish and Ex Convent of San Miguel ArcángelEsplendor Mazahua
Parroquia y Ex Convento de San Miguel Arcángel La evangelización de de los indígenas, en su mayoría otomíes, que habitaban la actual región de Acambay estuvo a cargo de la Orden Franciscana. Los frailes utilizaron como método de . . . — Map (db m139156) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Parish Church of San Miguel Arcángel
Esta Parroquia principió a edificarse en 1640 y se destruyó en 1912 por el sismo que asoló a la población. Patrimonio Cultural del Edo. de México, 1978. English translation: This Parish began to be . . . — Map (db m138922) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Residential Platforms
Plataformas habitacionales Sobre estas plataformas de baja altura se construyó un conjunto habitacional, constituido por cuartos agrupados alrededor de pequeños patios. En su interior se localizaron restos de muros que muestran varias . . . — Map (db m138841) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — The 1921 Acambay Earthquake
El 19 de noviembre de 1921 a las 7 h. 20 m., un fuerte temblor destruyó el pueblo de Acambay en sólo 6 segundos, dejando numerosas víctimas y daños materiales. Patrimonio Cultural del Edo. de México, 1978. ***** . . . — Map (db m139227) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), San Miguel Cañadas — Sierra of TepotzotlánHerencia Otomí - Otomí Heritage
Sierra de Tepotzotlán Este parque, que fue creado por decreto del Ejecutivo del Estado de México el 26 de mayo de 1977, tiene actualmente una extensión cercana a las diez mil hectáreas, y ocupa la parte norte de la cuenca del Valle de . . . — Map (db m138494) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Tepotzotlán), San Miguel Cañadas — The Aqueduct of Xalpa
Arcos del Sitio El Acueducto de Xalpa, conocido también como Arcos del sitio, es una obra arquitectónica construida por los jesuitas a principios del siglo XVIII para lleva agua del río del Oro hasta su Hacienda de Xalpa. La obra . . . — Map (db m138235) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — A Long-Term Painted History
Una Historia Pintada de Larga Duración La cantidad de sitios de arte rupestre localizados en el valle, su abundante iconografía y la reutilización continua de los espacios pintados denotan la existencia de una tradición pictórica de . . . — Map (db m138171) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — Rock Art in the 16th Century
El Arte Rupestre en el Siglo XVI Con la conquista y colonización por parte de militares, religiosos y colonos otomíes en nombre de la corona española, surgió una nueva iconografía vinculada a los conquistadores y la nueva religión. . . . — Map (db m138139) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Arroyo Seco Archaeological Site
El sitio arqueológico Arroyo Seco El sitio arqueológico Arroyo Seco geográficamente se ubica en la porción semidesértica de la Sierra Gorda de Guanajuato, al interior de un pequeño valle intermontano irrigado por la aguas del río . . . — Map (db m138284) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Guardians of the Valley
Los Guardianes del Valle Para los primeros habitantes del valle, el entorno natural era un ente vivo que participaba plenamente en la vida social. Se dice que los nómadas veneraban montes, lanzaban exclamaciones al cielo mirando las . . . — Map (db m138280) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Memory of the Landscape
La Memoria del Paisaje Arroyo Seco, junto con otros sitios del valle intermontano poseen sugerentes espacios circulares delimitados por grandes rocas en la cima de los cerros. Generalmente se asocian con paneles de pintura rupestre y . . . — Map (db m138250) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Social Function of Rock Art
La Función Social del Arte Rupestre El verdadero significado de los motivos pintados es incierto, pues en la tierra del nómada se libró una lucha a sangre y fuego que se prolongó por casi tres siglos aniquilando las prácticas rituales . . . — Map (db m138166) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tepeji del Río), Tepeji del Río — Camino Real de Tierra AdentroThe Royal Inland Road
El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro ha sido inscrito en la Lista del Patrimonio Mundial en virtud de la Convención para la Protección del Patrimonio Mundial Cultural y Natural. La inscripción en esta Lista consagra el Valor Universal . . . — Map (db m138503) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tepeji del Río), Tepeji del Río — The Founding of Tepeji del Río
Tepeji del Rio de Ocampo, Hgo. Se fundo el 8 de octubre de 1558 y se elevo a la categoría de ciudad, por decreto del H. Congreso del Estado, el 3 de junio de 1983. Gobierno del Estado 81-87 Presidente Municipal 82 85 . . . — Map (db m138541) HM
Mexico, Querétaro, Santiago de Querétaro — Venustiano Carranza Garza
Venustiano Carranza Garza 1859 -1920 Insigne protagonista de la Constitución de 1917 Artículo 17 Ninguna persona podrá hacerse justicia por si misma, ni ejercer violencia para reclamar su derecho. Toda persona tiene derecho a que . . . — Map (db m138638) HM WM
Poland, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Sopot — Willa Ernsta Claaszna
Willa Ernsta Claaszena ul. Księcia Józefa Poniatowskiego (d. ernststraße) 8 1903-1904: Ernst August Claaszen (1851-1924), gdański kupiec I eksporter cukru. Ukończył szkołę handlową w . . . — Map (db m137385) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Cedar Bluff — Long Shadows House
Constructed around 1875 by John Seaborn Watt for his bride, Emma Chastillette Williamson, this fine example of Victorian architecture was originally located near Yancey's Bend prior to the construction of Weiss Lake. The site was going to be . . . — Map (db m137844) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Leesburg — Round Mountain Iron Furance
(side 1)Map (db m139401) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — 101 MemorialWorld War I
Dedicated to Civilian defense workers in critical industry for the war. US Army directed construction and production via Air Nitrate Corp. Army Projects here in 1917-1918 required 20,000 workers recruited from across the USA. The great flu-pandemic . . . — Map (db m138776) HM WM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Doublehead, Cherokee Chief
Through negotiation with President George Washington, Chief Doublehead owned all lands between Bluewater and Cypress Creeks. The land became federal property after 1807, allowing a corporation to purchase 5,515 acres to establish . . . — Map (db m138785) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Hickory Hill Plantation Slave Cemetery
Side 1: To the south of this marker is the Hickory Hill Plantation Slave Cemetery which contains the remains of approximately 140 African-Americans. These individuals labored in the bonds of slavery during the period 1818 to 1865 and many . . . — Map (db m138778) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — John Wilkinson Taylor
As Deputy Director-General of UNESCO, Dr. John W. Taylor pioneered international programs following WWII aimed at ending illiteracy by promoting education within communities. He introduced an early version of distance learning through . . . — Map (db m138781) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Lin Dunn
Serving as head coach in women's collegiate basketball, 1970-1996, Lin Dunn became a 17-year coach in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) and was inducted into the WNBA Hall of Fame in 2014.

Inducted 2018 City of . . . — Map (db m138779) HM

Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Maurice Causey
At age 16 in 1982, Maurice Causey won a Ford Foundation Scholarship to the American School of Ballet. He has served at Ballet Master for the Royal Swedish Ballet and the Netherland Dance Theater. — Map (db m138783) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Temple B’nai Israel1840s
Temple B'nai Israel, at this location, had its origin with the first Jewish settlers in Tuscumbia, AL, in the 1840s. These early settlers quickly became part of the community and were commercially successful. The 1870s and 1880s were periods of . . . — Map (db m138786) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — 932 — Mount Diablo Coal Field
From 1860 to 1906, this area was the largest coal mining district in California. Five towns (Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartville, Judsonville and West Hartley) grew up around twelve major mines. Today the towns are gone. The buildings having been . . . — Map (db m139449) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse LensesHumboldt County Fair
The 780 prisms and fresnel lenses in this replica of the original Cape Mendocino Light House were hand ground in France, shipped around Cape Horn and originally place in operation at Cape Mendocino in 1868. The entire mechanical gear and prisms . . . — Map (db m139526) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Early Agricultural Use of the Bottomlands
These historic images represent an earlier time when the low-lying wetlands and salt marshes around Humboldt Bay and the lower Eel River valley were largely drained and converted to agricultural uses. Under the congressional Swamp and . . . — Map (db m139531) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Historic Hunting on the, Refuge and Humboldt Bay
Waterfowl hunting was a primary recreational activity on Humboldt Bay from the early 1900s to the 1970s, and remains popular today. During the duck season, members of the Humboldt Fish and Game Club would meet at the hunt cabin on the . . . — Map (db m139549) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — History of the McBride Ranch
Hard work and perseverance created a family business that lasted generations In 1850, Joseph and Zipporah Russ moved to Humboldt County from Maine to start a cattle and sheep ranch. The main buildings were built between 1915 and 1925 and . . . — Map (db m139548) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — A New Home!Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse
The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse is one of the most iconic landmarks on the North Coast and a beloved, historical symbol of the Trinidad community. The structure was built in 1949 as a replica of the original 1871 Trinidad Lighthouse, which remains . . . — Map (db m139525) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — Spain Claims Northern California
"Carolus III. Dei G. Hyspaniarum Rex" June, 9 1775 Replaced by Club Women of Humboldt Co. Sept. 9, 1913 — Map (db m139523) HM

1848 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1648
Paid Advertisement