Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2005 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 1605
 
A Long-Term Painted History Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, August 4, 2019
A Long-Term Painted History Marker
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — A Long-Term Painted History
Una Historia Pintada de Larga Duración La cantidad de sitios de arte rupestre localizados en el valle, su abundante iconografía y la reutilización continua de los espacios pintados denotan la existencia de una tradición pictórica de . . . — Map (db m138171) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — Rock Art in the 16th Century
El Arte Rupestre en el Siglo XVI Con la conquista y colonización por parte de militares, religiosos y colonos otomíes en nombre de la corona española, surgió una nueva iconografía vinculada a los conquistadores y la nueva religión. . . . — Map (db m138139) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Arroyo Seco Archaeological Site
El sitio arqueológico Arroyo Seco El sitio arqueológico Arroyo Seco geográficamente se ubica en la porción semidesértica de la Sierra Gorda de Guanajuato, al interior de un pequeño valle intermontano irrigado por la aguas del río . . . — Map (db m138284) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Guardians of the Valley
Los Guardianes del Valle Para los primeros habitantes del valle, el entorno natural era un ente vivo que participaba plenamente en la vida social. Se dice que los nómadas veneraban montes, lanzaban exclamaciones al cielo mirando las . . . — Map (db m138280) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Memory of the Landscape
La Memoria del Paisaje Arroyo Seco, junto con otros sitios del valle intermontano poseen sugerentes espacios circulares delimitados por grandes rocas en la cima de los cerros. Generalmente se asocian con paneles de pintura rupestre y . . . — Map (db m138250) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Victoria), Arroyo Seco — The Social Function of Rock Art
La Función Social del Arte Rupestre El verdadero significado de los motivos pintados es incierto, pues en la tierra del nómada se libró una lucha a sangre y fuego que se prolongó por casi tres siglos aniquilando las prácticas rituales . . . — Map (db m138166) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tepeji del Río), Tepeji del Río — Camino Real de Tierra AdentroThe Royal Inland Road
El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro ha sido inscrito en la Lista del Patrimonio Mundial en virtud de la Convención para la Protección del Patrimonio Mundial Cultural y Natural. La inscripción en esta Lista consagra el Valor Universal . . . — Map (db m138503) HM
Mexico, Hidalgo (Municipality of Tepeji del Río), Tepeji del Río — The Founding of Tepeji del Río
Tepeji del Rio de Ocampo, Hgo. Se fundo el 8 de octubre de 1558 y se elevo a la categoría de ciudad, por decreto del H. Congreso del Estado, el 3 de junio de 1983. Gobierno del Estado 81-87 Presidente Municipal 82 85 . . . — Map (db m138541) HM
Mexico, Querétaro, Santiago de Querétaro — Venustiano Carranza Garza
Venustiano Carranza Garza 1859 -1920 Insigne protagonista de la Constitución de 1917 Artículo 17 Ninguna persona podrá hacerse justicia por si misma, ni ejercer violencia para reclamar su derecho. Toda persona tiene derecho a que . . . — Map (db m138638) HM WM
Poland, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Sopot — Willa Ernsta Claaszna
Willa Ernsta Claaszena ul. Księcia Józefa Poniatowskiego (d. ernststraße) 8 1903-1904: Ernst August Claaszen (1851-1924), gdański kupiec I eksporter cukru. Ukończył szkołę handlową w . . . — Map (db m137385) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Cedar Bluff — Long Shadows House
Constructed around 1875 by John Seaborn Watt for his bride, Emma Chastillette Williamson, this fine example of Victorian architecture was originally located near Yancey's Bend prior to the construction of Weiss Lake. The site was going to be . . . — Map (db m137844) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Leesburg — Round Mountain Iron Furance
(side 1)Map (db m139401) HM
Alabama (Colbert County), Sheffield — 101 MemorialWorld War I
Dedicated to Civilian defense workers in critical industry for the war. US Army directed construction and production via Air Nitrate Corp. Army Projects here in 1917-1918 required 20,000 workers recruited from across the USA. The great flu-pandemic . . . — Map (db m138776) HM WM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Doublehead, Cherokee Chief
Through negotiation with President George Washington, Chief Doublehead owned all lands between Bluewater and Cypress Creeks. The land became federal property after 1807, allowing a corporation to purchase 5,515 acres to establish . . . — Map (db m138785) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Hickory Hill Plantation Slave Cemetery
Side 1: To the south of this marker is the Hickory Hill Plantation Slave Cemetery which contains the remains of approximately 140 African-Americans. These individuals labored in the bonds of slavery during the period 1818 to 1865 and many . . . — Map (db m138778) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — John Wilkinson Taylor
As Deputy Director-General of UNESCO, Dr. John W. Taylor pioneered international programs following WWII aimed at ending illiteracy by promoting education within communities. He introduced an early version of distance learning through . . . — Map (db m138781) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Lin Dunn
Serving as head coach in women's collegiate basketball, 1970-1996, Lin Dunn became a 17-year coach in the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) and was inducted into the WNBA Hall of Fame in 2014.

Inducted 2018 City of . . . — Map (db m138779) HM

Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Maurice Causey
At age 16 in 1982, Maurice Causey won a Ford Foundation Scholarship to the American School of Ballet. He has served at Ballet Master for the Royal Swedish Ballet and the Netherland Dance Theater. — Map (db m138783) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Temple B’nai Israel1840s
Temple B'nai Israel, at this location, had its origin with the first Jewish settlers in Tuscumbia, AL, in the 1840s. These early settlers quickly became part of the community and were commercially successful. The 1870s and 1880s were periods of . . . — Map (db m138786) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — 932 — Mount Diablo Coal Field
From 1860 to 1906, this area was the largest coal mining district in California. Five towns (Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartville, Judsonville and West Hartley) grew up around twelve major mines. Today the towns are gone. The buildings having been . . . — Map (db m139449) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse LensesHumboldt County Fair
The 780 prisms and fresnel lenses in this replica of the original Cape Mendocino Light House were hand ground in France, shipped around Cape Horn and originally place in operation at Cape Mendocino in 1868. The entire mechanical gear and prisms . . . — Map (db m139526) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Early Agricultural Use of the Bottomlands
These historic images represent an earlier time when the low-lying wetlands and salt marshes around Humboldt Bay and the lower Eel River valley were largely drained and converted to agricultural uses. Under the congressional Swamp and . . . — Map (db m139531) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Historic Hunting on the, Refuge and Humboldt Bay
Waterfowl hunting was a primary recreational activity on Humboldt Bay from the early 1900s to the 1970s, and remains popular today. During the duck season, members of the Humboldt Fish and Game Club would meet at the hunt cabin on the . . . — Map (db m139549) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — History of the McBride Ranch
Hard work and perseverance created a family business that lasted generations In 1850, Joseph and Zipporah Russ moved to Humboldt County from Maine to start a cattle and sheep ranch. The main buildings were built between 1915 and 1925 and . . . — Map (db m139548) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — A New Home!Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse
The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse is one of the most iconic landmarks on the North Coast and a beloved, historical symbol of the Trinidad community. The structure was built in 1949 as a replica of the original 1871 Trinidad Lighthouse, which remains . . . — Map (db m139525) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — Spain Claims Northern California
"Carolus III. Dei G. Hyspaniarum Rex" June, 9 1775 Replaced by Club Women of Humboldt Co. Sept. 9, 1913 — Map (db m139523) HM
California (Imperial County), Palo Verde — Camp GastonEst. 1859
Near this spot, situated on the west bank of the Colorado River, about 45 miles north of Fort Yuma, Camp Gaston was established in 1859 by Captain Henry S. Burton, Company F 3rd Artillery. The camp served as a supply post for the Hoffman Expedition . . . — Map (db m138177) HM
California (Imperial County), Palo Verde — Taylor's Ferry
When Jim Taylor acquired his ferry in 1922, he had just completed his connecting, hand-made highway on both sides of the Colorado River. His plan to attract the Los Angeles to Phoenix traffic had faded with the continued success of the . . . — Map (db m138179) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — We Shall Never Forget
This memorial site is erected and dedicated by the members of the Bakersfield Fire Department and our many supporting community partners, on this eleventh day of September, in the year two-thousand and sixteen A.D., on behalf of the citizens of . . . — Map (db m139587) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Azusa — Azusa, the Canyon City
Swelled by the melting snows of towering mountains, our river has long nourished abundant life. “Azusa” is the name of the Shoshonean village that existed for 6,000 years before Spanish explorers arrived in 1769 to find “a . . . — Map (db m137818) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Bradbury — Mr. Bradbury’s Bridge1908
With the 1907 extension of Huntington’s Pacific Electric system through Duarte to Glendora, a cut was created to level the railroad’s right of way in front of L.L. Bradbury’s country home. To provide access to his home, the site of which is now . . . — Map (db m137592) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Johnny Carson Park
Dedicated to the King of Late Night for 30 years of keeping America up late and laughing. — Map (db m137687) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Covina — Covina Firehouse - Jail Museum
The firehouse-jail was the first civic building commissioned by the city of Covina. The mission revival structure was constructed in 1911 by pioneer builder Clarence Allison. When a new city hall and fire station was built in 1930, the fire . . . — Map (db m138043) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 111 — Adams Square Gas Station
Built in 1936 by Richfield Oil Corporation. Rare surviving example of a streamline moderne gas station, significant for its association with the development of Southern California car culture. — Map (db m138941) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Grand Central Air Terminal1930
Grand Central Air Terminal is an intact example of an early airport passenger terminal and serves as a physical record of pivotal events that helped shape the development of air travel and the aviation industry in Southern California. The air . . . — Map (db m137664) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Korean Comfort Women StatuePeace Monument
In Memory of more than 200,000 Asian and Dutch women who were removed from their homes in Korea, China, Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, East Timor, and Indonesia, to be coerced into sexual slavery by the Imperial Armed . . . — Map (db m138945) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Somerset Farm
Site of Somerset Farm, home of John Calvin Sherer from 1882 to 1949, an early settler and a founder of Glendale, California. — Map (db m138929) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — Pacific Electric StationGlendora
The Pacific Electric line was completed between Los Angeles and Glendora in December of 1907. The Red Cars provided transportation and freight service throughout Southern California. The Glendora Station became operational in 1908, but as personal . . . — Map (db m138042) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — First Emmy Awards
On this site on January 25, 1949, the first Emmy Awards and Telecast were presented by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. — Map (db m138345) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 41 — Max Factor Building
Max Factor, a Russian immigrant, pioneered screen make up for which he received a special Academy Award in 1929. He opened the Max Factor Hollywood Makeup Studio in 1928, where he taught Hollywood stars such as Lana Turner, Rita Hayworth, . . . — Map (db m138412) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Cañada Flintridge — 717 — The Angeles National Forest
This was the first National Forest in the State of California, second in the United States. Created by proclamation, December 20, 1892, by President Benjamin Harrison. The first name given to the forest was "San Gabriel Timberland Reserve." It was . . . — Map (db m137714) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lake View Terrace — FirefightersCreek Fire
In dedication to the Firefighters who heroically defended Wildlife Waystation throughout the entire December 2017 Creek Fire. Our eternal gratitude for their selfless act of bravery - Cal Fire, Contra Costa County Fire, Los Angeles County Fire Dept, . . . — Map (db m138093) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — An International University — USC — University of Southern California —
USC’s international roots are broad and deep, reaching back to its founding in 1880. Two of the three original donors of land to the university were foreign-born, and almost from the start, its stewards were casting their eyes overseas. . . . — Map (db m138118) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — El Pueblo de Los Angeles
This plaque marks the location of the original northwest corner of El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles, founded on September 4, 1781, and established by survey in 1849. — Map (db m138411) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 156 — Fire Station No. 1
Built by United States Work Projects Administration, 1940. Fire Station No. 1, Streamline Moderne style. Architects — Public Works Administration. Declared 1976. Built 1940. Historic-Cultural Monument No. 156. — Map (db m134911) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Los Angeles Trade-Technical CollegeTom Bradley Center for Student Life
Thomas “Tom” Bradley, the five-term mayor of Los Angeles (1973-1993), attended this campus when it was John H. Francis Polytechnic High School. He was LA's beloved mayor and responsible in large part for the city's explicit celebration . . . — Map (db m138298) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 139 — Shrine Auditorium & Expo Center
A Shrine To Entertainment And Service When the original Shrine Auditorium opened in 1906, the movies that would make it internationally recognizable were in their infancy; the first dramatic film made entirely in Los Angeles was being . . . — Map (db m138639) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Marina Del Rey — Marina Del Rey Small Craft HarborBurton W. Chace
Emerging from a Spanish land grant known as Rancho La Ballona, Marina Del Rey small craft harbor stands in testimony to the ingenuity of man in overcoming a myriad of obstacles posed by nature and artificial barriers raised by man himself. This . . . — Map (db m138572) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 172 — Pioneer Oil Refinery
California's first oil refinery operated on a commercial scale, erected 1876. Restored by the Standard Oil Company of California in 1930 as a memorial to D. G. Scofield and his pioneer associates of the California Star Oil Works company, a . . . — Map (db m138151) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 172 — Pioneer Oil Refinery← 3 Miles
In 1875 the Star Oil Company, one of the predecessors of the Standard Oil Company of California, drilled its first Pico Canyon well, which yielded about one hundred barrels per day. The discovery resulted in the erection of the first commercial oil . . . — Map (db m138332) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Lankershim Train Depot
Laying Tracks, and a Foundation for the Future Land is the secret to Southern California's prosperity, but it isn't worth much without a way to move the goods and services it generates. This modest wooden building on a small parcel of land . . . — Map (db m137867) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Weddington Family
A Founding Family in a Fledgling Town The cold winters and the hard work of Iowa farm life once drove hundreds of thousands of "Hawkeyes" to California. One of them was named Wilson C. Weddington. He came here in 1890 to visit his . . . — Map (db m137712) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — The San Andreas Fault
One of the most outstanding geological feautures in California, extending for over 650 miles from Point Arena, North of San Francisco, to south of San Gorgonio Pass. Between twenty and thirty miles deep and more than a mile wide in some locations. . . . — Map (db m138219) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — 158 — San Gabriel Mission
San Gabriel Mission was founded by Fr. Pedro Benito Cambon (statue above right) and Fr. Angel Fernandez de la Somera (statue above left) on Sept. 8, 1771 in nearby Montebello by the Rio Hondo River, and moved to this location in 1775. This . . . — Map (db m139099) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam
The St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12⅓ billion gallons of water roaring down . . . — Map (db m139381) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
On this site in August of 1924 construction started on the St. Francis Dam, a unit of the Los Angeles Aqueduct. When it was completed in May of 1926, this concrete dam stood 185 feet above the stream bed, impounding a 610 surface-acre lake. . . . — Map (db m139380) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m139382) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Stevenson Ranch — 516 — First Commercial Oil Well In CaliforniaPico #4
On this site stands CSO-4 (Pico #4), California's first commerically productive well. It was spudded in early 1876, under the direction of Demetrius G. Scofield, later to become first president of Standard Oil Company of California, and was . . . — Map (db m138391) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Stevenson Ranch — 516-2 — Mentryville
Mentryville, named after Charles Alexander Mentry, who drilled California's first successful commercial oil well in 1876, was one of the first oil towns in the state. Mentry's restored home, barn and Felton School remain on the site where the . . . — Map (db m138354) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed four different plaques. The plaques are now missing. The following plaque was . . . — Map (db m137425) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Rim of the Valley TrailMarge Feinberg — Saddletree Ranch Trailhead —
Marge Feinberg’s 1974 Master’s Thesis envisioning a wilderness trail encircling the San Fernando, La Crescenta and Simi Valleys and adjacent mountain ranges led to a California law establishing the Rim of the Valley Trail Corridor in the Santa . . . — Map (db m139166) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 653 — The Cascades
On November 5, 1913, 40,000 people gathered here to witness the dedication of the Los Angeles - Owens River Aqueduct. The terminus of a 233-mile long engineering marvel, the Cascades were the site of William Mulholland‘s famous speech: “There . . . — Map (db m137887) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Universal City — Alfred Hitchcock
Film Director Alfred Hitchcock was the undisputed Master of Suspense and his legacy is an integral part of Universal's history. His classic films include The Birds, Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Strangers . . . — Map (db m139440) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Venice — Venice
Coney Island of the Pacific, as Venice was called, had wild roller coasters, beautiful carousels, giant slides, fun houses, live camel rides, miniature trains, and much, much more. — Map (db m138626) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Covina — Hurst Ranch
The Hurst family, including Josiah Newell, his wife Anna Belle, and their three children, Allie, Harriet Maude, and Charles Josiah, moved from Dover, Ohio to Whittier, California in 1898. In 1906, the family purchased 50 acres on the corner . . . — Map (db m138044) HM
California (Mariposa County), Coulterville — Historic Walls
The Coulterville Main Street Historical District includes 25 structures, including this one story building built circa 1860. This building's stone and brick walls survived the 1879 and 1899 fires that destroyed Coulterville.

Using the walls, . . . — Map (db m137795) HM

California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 31 — San Juan Capistrano Jail Cell
This jail cell was built in 1896 to serve as a holding cell for miscreants on their way to County jail. Originally located on the west side of Camino Capistrano at the intersection with Ortega Highway, it was the scene of several jailbreaks and one . . . — Map (db m137613) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 49 — Taylor's Ferry
When Jim Taylor acquired his ferry in 1922, he had just completed his connecting, hand-made highway on both sides of the Colorado River. His plan to attract the Los Angeles to Phoenix traffic had faded with the continued success of the . . . — Map (db m138178) HM
California (Riverside County), Rubidoux — 303 — Robidoux Grist Mill Site
In 1846 the first grist mill in this region was built nearby by Louis Robidoux, owner of this section of Rancho Jurupa. The mill provided flour, a popular but scarce commodity, for settlers and American troops. The mill was washed away by a flood in . . . — Map (db m139100) HM
California (San Benito County), San Juan Bautista — City of San Juan Bautista150th Anniversary of Incorporation
The USPS opened a post office in town on July 28, 1851, calling it San Juan, and on September 6, 1869, the Monterey County Board of Supervisors approved officially incorporated the town with the title of, "The Inhabitants of the Town of San Juan." . . . — Map (db m138933) HM
California (San Benito County), Tres Pinos — Palmtag Cutting Shed
Once a common sight in the rural Hollister area, apricot cutting sheds were where the harvested apricots were cut in half and then were placed on wood trays to be dried in the sun. The apricot season usually started at the same time that school got . . . — Map (db m137801) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Phelan — 576 — Santa Fe and Salt Lake Trail1849
Erected in honor of the brave pioneers of California in 1917 by pioneers Sheldon Stoddard, Sydney F. Waite, John Brown Jr., George Miller, George M. Cooley, Silas C. Cox, Richard Weir, Jasper N. Corbett — Map (db m139653) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — First Raising of U.S. Flag
On this site the United States Flag was first raised in Southern California by Lt. Stephen C. Rowan U.S.N., Commanding Sailors and Marines July 29, 1846. — Map (db m137963) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 535 — La Carpinteria1769
The Chumash Indian Village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque," August 17, 1769. Portola's . . . — Map (db m138528) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 535 — La Carpinteria1769
The Chumash Indian Village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque," August 17, 1769. Portola's . . . — Map (db m138529) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 5 — Portolá Sycamore
Oral tradition holds that this tree survives from the naming of "La Carpinteria” - the Carpenter Shop - on August 17, 1769 when the Portolá Expedition observed the Chumash building plank canoes at this site. — Map (db m137942) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 1Wardholme Torrey Pine
Wardholme Torrey Pine, 1888. Largest known in existence. Historical Landmark No. 1, City of Carpinteria. — Map (db m138543)
California (Santa Barbara County), Goleta — Japanese Attack
Near this site, at 7:07 P.M., February 23, 1942, the California coast at Ellwood received the first naval bombardment of the United States mainland since the War of 1812. — Map (db m138649) HM WM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 306 — Burton Mound
Thought to have once been the Indian Village of Syujtun, this site has yielded some of the most important archeological evidence found in California. In 1542 the village was recorded by Cabrillo while on his Voyage of Discovery, and again, in 1769, . . . — Map (db m137508) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Private Railcar Spurs1905
Constructed with the Southern Pacific Depot in 1905, these two railroad spurs are the sole reminder of the turn-of-the century days when wealthy travelers arrived in Santa Barbara in their private Pullman railcars to spend the winter. These private . . . — Map (db m138508) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 727 — Portolá Expedition
On August 13, 1769 reaching the junction of the Arroyo Mupu with the river, the place was named the Holy Martyrs, Ipólito and Casiano. Upon founding the Mission of San Buenaventura, the priests established here an asistencia and christened it Santa . . . — Map (db m137825) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 4 — Hunt Olive Tree
Only surviving tree of an orchard planted by R.O. Hunt on the Salto Ranch which he established in 1876. — Map (db m138684) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 63 — JunglelandLouis Goebel
On this site Louis Goebel opened one of Southern California’s most popular tourists attractions. In 1925, Goebel purchased five lots for $50 along old Ventura Boulevard, which later became Thousand Oaks Boulevard. This land had formerly belonged to . . . — Map (db m138682) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Felton — Honor and RememberFelton Veterans Who Gave It All
World War I William Kendall Frampton World War II Loran Charles Adams Caleb Oliver Simpler John Albert Ware Ernest Thomas Roe Robert James Seward Russell Louis Brittingham Nathaniel Luff Warrington . . . — Map (db m138268) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Felton — KC-104 — Rescue House of PrayerTemple of Deliverance
Organized on December 9, 1877, the Felton Methodist Protestant Church originally held services for several years in the Knights of Pythias Hall. In 1880, a parcel of land on High Street was deeded to the church trustees by Job Butterworth and his . . . — Map (db m138267) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Marydel — K-52 — Thomas' Chapel(Chapeltown)
The site of one of the earliest Methodist Churches in America, the first structure was built in 1761 as an Episcopal Church. Built of logs, the church was referred to as the Log or Forest Chapel. According to tradition, ownership of the structure . . . — Map (db m138266) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NCC-245 — New London Road Community-(NCC-245)
The African American New London Road community can be traced back to 1786 when free black families began settling in the area. The community clustered around New London Road and was bounded by Cleveland Avenue to the south and Corbit and Ray Streets . . . — Map (db m139544) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Battle of Cooch’s Bridge
On 3 September 1777, approximately 800 Americans forming the “Special Corps” of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged several thousand Hessian and Anspack “Jagers” (light infantry) and British light infantry in the . . . — Map (db m139667) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Hundreds of Delaware
What is a Hundred? A hundred is an old English subdivision of a county. Although the origin is somewhat shrouded in mystery, basically it was a tract of land large enough to provide a hundred men to serve the king’s wars. In American colonies that . . . — Map (db m139668) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Blades — Armed Forces Memorial
. . . — Map (db m138275) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Blades — SC-246 — Town of Blades
Situated on the banks of the Nanticoke River, the town of Blades was first known as "Bladesville" and named for the Blades family. James Blades, an early railroad pioneer, purchased a tract of land which extended to present day High and Market . . . — Map (db m138274) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-271 — Israel United Methodist Church
In 1840, Israel United Methodist Church formed in the Belltown community west of Lewes. Israel established a cemetery in 1854 and formally incorporated in 1877. The congregation rebuilt the church in 1890 and again in 1916. Over time, the 1916 . . . — Map (db m139574) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-233 — Gateway to Freedom: The Tilly Escape
In October 1856, famed Underground Railroad conductor Harriet Tubman organized what is considered by Tubman scholars to be "one of her most complicated and clever escape attempts." Working at the request of a fiancé who had escaped to Canada, Tubman . . . — Map (db m138271) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-260 — Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F&A.M.
Hiram Lodge No. 21 was granted a charter by the Masonic Grand Lodge of Delaware on June 27, 1866 making it the first lodge chartered in Delaware after the Civil War. Members held meetings in the adjacent Odd Fellows Hall until they constructed this . . . — Map (db m138272) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — Killed in Action Memorial
In honor of those who gave up their life for freedom — Map (db m138270) WM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — Ladies' Auxiliary of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. (LASVFD)
This tribute stands to honor our past, present, and future members of the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. (LASVFD) On February 18, 1935, fifteen charter members met to establish the Ladies . . . — Map (db m138277) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — Seaford Volunteer Fire Department, Inc.
Since its founding in 1901 by 50 concerned citizens, a volunteer fire department has served the Seaford Community. Although independent of the City of Seaford, the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department has worked closely with the City for over 100 years . . . — Map (db m138276) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — Veterans Memorial
In honor of those that served and are serving — Map (db m138269) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 1950Earl Lloyd — ULINE —
First African American to play in an NBA game — Map (db m139209) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 1953Dwight D. Eisenhower — ULINE —
President Eisenhower's First Inaugural Ball — Map (db m139210) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Atlas District — 1964The Beatles — ULINE —
First Concert in the USA — Map (db m139212) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Peter Perkins Pitchlynn(Ha-tchoo-tuc-knee)
Choctaw Chief—Diplomat—Education Leader Born January 30, 1896 Died January 17, 1881 • Principal Chief, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma 1864-1866 • Tribal Commissioner for land claims against the U.S. Government (1853-61 — . . . — Map (db m139480) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Stone from First Baptist Church in America
Stone from First Baptist Church in America Providence R.I. — Map (db m138112) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Congressional Cemetery Government Lots
Civil War Washington City Over the course of the Civil War, the nation's capital was transformed. The dignified government city Pierre Charles L' Enfant laid out in 1791 was hardened into a sprawling military center. Encircled by strong . . . — Map (db m139512) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — IFAS
In commemoration of the Bicentennial Year of the United States of America, this plaque is dedicated to the faculty and staff of the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences who since 1884 have served Florida and its . . . — Map (db m135962) HM
Florida (Duval County), Atlantic Beach — F-953 — The Continental Hotel Site
In the late 19th century, Henry Flagler created the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) and the Florida East Coast Hotel Company, both of significantly boosted development and tourism for Florida. By 1900, Flagler had purchased the local Jacksonville . . . — Map (db m137857) HM
Florida (Duval County), Bayport — US Merchant Marine
(Side 1) US Merchant Marine Dedicated September 14, 1999 Mayport Florida In memory of the men and women of all nations who loyally served aboard United States merchant ships in war and peace (Side 2) American . . . — Map (db m137894) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — All Veterans
For God – Honor – Country the flag flying today is in honor and memory of All Veterans — Map (db m137883) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Andrew Jackson
. . . — Map (db m138372) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Anna Madgigine Jai KingsleyChesterfield Plantation
In 1806 Anna Madgigine Jai, a 13 year old girl of royal lineage in Senegal, West Africa, was sold into slavery and brought to the port of Havana, Cuba. There she was purchased by 38-year-old Zephaniah Kingsley, Jr., a wealthy white plantation . . . — Map (db m138877) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Arlington - A Unique Community
From 1847 until sometime before 1860 Jacksonville University campus was the site of the Chesterfield farm of Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley, former slave and widow of white plantation owner Zephaniah Kingsley. This farm was at the center of the . . . — Map (db m138876) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Arlington Grammar School No. 46
Arlington Grammar School was built in 1921 to serve the children of white families living in an area of approximately 48 square miles stretching from the St. Johns River on the west eastward to what is today St. Johns Bluff Road and from the St. . . . — Map (db m138830) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Greenleaf & Crosby Bldg.
Historic Landmark Greenleaf & Crosby Bldg. 1927 Marsh & Saxelbye, Architects Awarded by Jacksonville Historic Landmarks Commission — Map (db m138109) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Greenleaf/Jacobs Clock
Manufactured in 1901, and originally estimated to cost about $1200, the Greenleaf/Jacobs Clock was said “to be the handsomest of its kind in the South…” Although street clocks have been erected in other American cities, none compare . . . — Map (db m138819) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Historic Floral Bluff
Floral Bluff Plantation, originally part of a land granted to Italian immigrant Francis Richard by Spanish government in the 1790s, occupied over a half mile of riverfront property. Robert Bigelow, a Connecticut native and graduate of Yale . . . — Map (db m139242) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Historic Strawberry Plantation
The 8,000 acre Strawberry Mills and Plantation, part of a Spanish sawmill grant to Francis Richard, Jr., was purchased by John S. Sammis circa 1840. Sammis, a native of New York, moved to Florida in the 1820s and worked briefly for prominent . . . — Map (db m139252) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville Public LibraryMain Library
On September 5, 2000, Jacksonville Mayor John Delaney asked Duval County voters to support The Better Jacksonville Plan, a referendum that would fund quality of life improvements. Voters approved the plan, and soon construction was under way on . . . — Map (db m138810) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville Young Mens Christian Association
Originally built for Jacksonville Young Mens Christian Association Construction in 1908 Henry John Klutho Architect Southern Ferro Concrete Co. Builder The building located on the corner of Hemming Plaza was Florida’s first . . . — Map (db m138389) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — James Edwin CraigOctober 29, 1901 – December 7, 1941
The James E. Craig Memorial pavilion is dedicated to the memory of Jacksonville native, James Edwin Craig, the namesake of Jacksonville Executive at Craig Airport. He served his country with honor. After becoming an aviator in 1929, he served on . . . — Map (db m137888) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — John Fitzgerald Kennedy
In Memory Of John Fitzgerald Kennedy 1917-1963 Thirty-Fifth President Of The United States 1961-1963 This memorial erected by the Jacksonville Building and Construction Trade Council to commemorate John F. Kennedy’s . . . — Map (db m138337) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — King’s Road Meets Apalache Trail
At this spot the Kings Road met the Apalache Trail, so connecting the English colonies and the Spanish settlements of the west with St. Augustine and New Smyrna — Map (db m138343) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Old Jacksonville Free Public Library
Old Jacksonville Free Public Library Built c. 1904 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138105) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — San Jose Country Club
San Jose Country Club built 1925 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138107) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — San Jose Estates Administrative Building
San Jose Estates Administration Building Built 1925 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138035) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Soldiers of the American Revolution Associated with Jacksonville’s History
General John McIntosh (c.) 1756-1826 was born in Darien Georgia. He assisted botanist William Bartram 1773-1774, and in 1774 they explored along the St. Johns River. His activities during the Revolutionary War included serving as a captain, . . . — Map (db m138114) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-775 — South Jacksonville City Hall
Jacksonville’s Great Fire of May 3, 1901, destroyed a large a large part of the city and left nearly 10,000 people homeless. Numerous residents of the city relocated to other areas, including to the then-remote area of South Jacksonville, across the . . . — Map (db m138016) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Carling Hotel
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m138116) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Florida Medical Assn
On this site January 14, 1874 The Florida Medical Assn was founded in the office of Abel Seymour Baldwin, M.D. — Map (db m138816) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Plaza BuildingHistoric Landmark
The Plaza Building First Built Circa 1863 By the Chief Surgeon of the Confederate Army. Rebuilt circa 1902 after the Great Fire of 1901. Restored 1985 This property has been placed on the National Register of . . . — Map (db m138802) HM
Florida (Duval County), Mayport — Historic Old Mayport Cemetery
This is the site of the Historic Old Mayport Cemetery, on Navy, City of Jacksonville and nearby private properties, covered beneath considerable fill material, roadways and private development. The names of some who are interred here are known; . . . — Map (db m137916) HM
Florida (Duval County), Orlando — Orange County 9-11 Memorial
These flags fly in honor and memory of those who lost their lives and loved ones in the attacks on our cherished American freedoms that took place in New York City, Washington, D.C. and Southwestern Pennsylvania on 9/11/2001 . . . — Map (db m138803) WM
Florida (Duval County), Orlando — Rosalind Club11 North Rosalind Avenue
The Rosalind Club, a ladies club organized in 1894, constructed its first clubhouse on the current site of the Angebilt Hotel. In 1916, Orlando architect Murry S. King designed this structure overlooking Lake Eola. In 1919, the city . . . — Map (db m139097) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Garden Grove — F-1052 — Garden Grove
(Side 1) Garden Grove was carved out of the Chocochatti Hammock, first inhabited by the Upper Creek Nation and then by pioneer families such as the Hopes and Crums. The area remained largely undeveloped up to the 1920s. By that time, the . . . — Map (db m139121) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Lake Eola Park
Lake Eola Park is the most historic and widely recognized symbol of the City of Orlando. It was established in 1883 as the City’s first public park after Orlando homesteaders Jacob and Fanny Summerlin donated the Lake and some of the surrounding . . . — Map (db m138883) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain
The Lake Eola Fountain was completely rebuilt after a devastating lightning Strike in 2009. The renovation, inspired and supported by the community, is loyal to the original 1957 design but with a modern choreographed light, music & water . . . — Map (db m138885) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Orange County Courthouse
Orange County Courthouse 65 East Central Boulevard Architect Murry S. King designed the sixth Orange County Courthouse in Orlando and supervised its construction until his death in 1925. The building was completed in 1927 under . . . — Map (db m138470) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Altamonte Springs — Altamonte SpringsSeminole County Historic Marker
In 1880 the South Florida Railroad completed a line from Sanford to Orlando. A flag stop was established at Snowville or Snows Station where the railroad crosses SR436. By 1886 the line connected New York City to Tampa via Altamonte. The community . . . — Map (db m138312) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-857 — 101st Indiana InfantryKing's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
Indiana. One Hundred and First Regiment Infantry. (Doan) Second Brigade. (King) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Sunday, September 19th, 1863, 2 P.M. to 3 P.M. — Map (db m138196) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1288 — 10th Confederate Georgia CavalryScott's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. Companies, "F", "G", "H", "I", "K", 10th Confederate. Colonel C.T. Goode. Scott's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137827) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-777A — 10th Indiana InfantryCroxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Tenth Regiment Infantry. (Carroll) Second Brigade. (Croxton) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, about 10 A.M. — Map (db m138023) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-961 — 11th Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
11th, Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137835) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1039 — 125th Ohio InfantryHarker's Brigade — Wood's Division —
125th Regiment Ohio Infantry. Harker's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138695) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-907 — 15th Missouri InfantryLaiboldt's Brigade — Sheridan's Division —
15th Missouri Infantry U.S.A. — Map (db m138165) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-969 — 17th Ohio InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
17th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Connell's Brigade. 10:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137879) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1276 — 1st Georgia CavalryDavidson's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 1st Cavalry. Colonel J.J Morrison. Davidson's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137829) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-948 — 1st Ohio InfantryBaldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
1st Regiment Ohio Infantry, Baldwin's Brigade. 12:35 P. M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138681) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1076 — 1st Wisconsin InfantryStarkweather's Brigade — Baird's Division —
1st Wisconsin Infantry 10 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138019) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1082 — 21st Wisconsin InfantryStarkweather's Brigade — Baird's Division —
21st Wisconsin Infantry 10 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138017) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-675 — 24th Illinois InfantryStarkweather's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Illinois 24th Infantry. Starkweather's Brigade. 6:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138082) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-674 — 24th Illinois InfantryStarkweather's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Illinois 24th Infantry. Starkweather's Brigade. 11 a.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138084) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1310 — 25th Georgia InfantryWilson's Brigade — Walker's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 25th Infantry. Lieutenant Colonel A.J. Williams. Wilson's Brigade. Gist's Walker's Division. 8:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137830) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — Mt-1312 — 29th Georgia InfantryWilson's Brigade — Walker's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 29th Infantry. Lieutenant George R. McRae. Wilson's Brigade. Gist's Walker's Division. 8:30 A.M., September 20, 1863. — Map (db m137831) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-906 — 2nd Missouri InfantryLaiboldt's Brigade — Sheridan's Division —
2nd Missouri Infantry U.S.A. — Map (db m138168) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-951 — 2nd Ohio InfantryScribner's Brigade — Baird's Division —
2d. Regiment Ohio Infantry Scribner's Brigade 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138056) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-984 — 31st Ohio InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
31st. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Connell's Brigade. 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138065) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-992 — 35th Ohio InfantryVanDerveer's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
35th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Van Derveer's Brigade. 10:00 to 11:30 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137880) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-995 — 36th Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
36th, Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137837) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-688 — 44th Illinois InfantryLaiboldt's Brigade — Sheridan's Division —
Text on the Front Side: Illinois 44th Infantry. 2nd Brigade - Laiboldt. 3rd Division - Sheridan. 20th Army Corps - McCook. Text on the Front Side: Commanded By Colonel-Wallace W. Barrett. . . . — Map (db m138170) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-813 — 44th Indiana InfantryDick's Brigade — Van Cleve's Division —
Indiana. Forty-Fourth Regiment Infantry. (Aldrich) Second Brigade. (Dick) Third Division. (Van Cleve) Twenty-First Corps. (Crittenden) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 2 P.M. To 3:30 P.M. — Map (db m138197) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1004 — 49th Ohio InfantryWillich's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
49th Regiment Ohio Infantry, Willich's Brigade. 12:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138687) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-729 — 4th Indiana BatteryStarkweather's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Fourth Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. 2 Napoleons, 2 12 Pounder Howitzers, 2 James Rifles. Starkweather's Brigade, Baird's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant David Flansburg, Commanding (Wounded . . . — Map (db m137991) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-732 — 4th Indiana BatteryStarkweather's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Indiana. Fourth Battery. (Flansburg) Second Brigade. (Starkweather) First Division. (Baird) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. — Map (db m138046) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-733 — 4th Indiana BatteryStarkweather's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Indiana. Fourth Battery. (Flansburg) Second Brigade. (Starkweather) First Division. (Baird) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 11:30 a.m. — Map (db m138047) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1008 — 59th Ohio InfantryDick's Brigade — Van Cleve's Division —
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 59th. Ohio Infantry, Dick's Brigade, Vn Cleve's Division, 21st. Army Corps Text on the Back Side of the Monument: The 59th Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Granville A. . . . — Map (db m138198) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-734 — 5th Indiana BatteryBaldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
5th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. 4 James, 2 Napoleons Baldwin's Brigade, Johnson's Division, McCook's Corps. September 19, 1863. Captain Peter Simonson, Commanding 1st Lieutenant Alfred Morrison. 2d Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m137990) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-737 — 5th Indiana BatteryBaldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
Indiana Fifth Battery. (Simonson) Third Brigade. (Baldwin) Second Division. (Johnson) Twentieth Corps. (McCook) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. — Map (db m138049) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1010 — 64th Ohio InfantryHarker's Brigade — Wood's Division —
64th Regiment Ohio Infantry, Harker's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138706) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-821 — 68th Indiana InfantryKing's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
Indiana. Sixty Eighth Regiment Infantry. (Espy) Second Brigade. (King) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 3 P.M. — Map (db m138205) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1284 — 6th Georgia CavalryDavidson's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 6th Cavalry. Colonel John R. Hart. Davidson's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137832) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-771 — 6th Indiana InfantryBaldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
Indiana. Sixth Regiment Infantry (Tripp) Third Brigade. (Baldwin) Second Division. (Johnson) Twentieth Corps. (McCook) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. — Map (db m138050) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-935 — 6th Ohio BatteryHarker's Brigade — Wood's Division —
Text on the First Tablet: 6th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery 4 10 Pounder Parrotts, 2 Napoleons. Harker's Brigade, Wood's Division, Crittenden's Corps. September 20, 1863. Captain Cullen Bradley, Commanding. 1st . . . — Map (db m138522) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-693 — 73rd Illinois InfantryLaiboldt's Brigade — Sheridan's Division —
Text on the Front Side: Illinois 73rd Infantry. 2nd Brigade - Laiboldt. 3rd Division - Sheridan. 20th Army Corps - McCook. Text on the Front Side: Commanded By Colonel-James F. Jaquess. . . . — Map (db m138172) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-832 — 74th Indiana InfantryCroxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana Seventy-Fourth Regiment Infantry. (Chapman) Second Brigade. (Croxton) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 10 A.M. — Map (db m138037) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-840 — 82nd Indiana InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Eighty-Second Regiment Infantry. (Hunter) First Brigade. (Connell) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 9 A.M. to 12 M. — Map (db m137882) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-841 — 82nd Indiana InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Eighty-Second Regiment Infantry. (Hunter) First Brigade. (Connell) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Sunday, September 20th, 1863, 9:30 A.M. to 11:30 A.M. — Map (db m138531) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-700 — 84th Illinois InfantryGrose's Brigade — Palmer's Division —
Text on the Front Side: Illinois 84th Infantry, 3rd Brigade - Grose, 2nd Division - Palmer, 1st Army Corps - Crittenden. Text on the Front Side: Commanded By Colonel - Louis H. Walters. September . . . — Map (db m138143) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-850 — 87th Indiana InfantryVanDerveer's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Eighty-Seventh Regiment Infantry. (Gleason) Third Brigade. (VanDerveer) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 8 a.m. — Map (db m137884) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1383 — 8th Tennessee InfantryWright's Brigade — Cheatham's Division —
Tennessee 8th Regiment Infantry Wright's Brigade Cheatham's Division 1:30 p.m. September 19, 1863Map (db m138146) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1020 — 92nd Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
92d. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137842) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1022 — 93rd Ohio InfantryBaldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
Raised Letter Inscription Portion of Text: 93rd. Ohio Infantry 3rd. Brigade, 2nd. Division 20th Army Corps. Plaque Affixed to Monument Portion of Text: Johnson's Division, during the battles on the 19th. and . . . — Map (db m138057) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1025 — 94th Ohio InfantryScribner's Brigade
94th Regiment Ohio Infantry Scribner's Brigade 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138063) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-955 — 9th Ohio InfantryVanDerveer's Brigade
9th Regiment Ohio Infantry, Van Derveer's Brigade. 11:30 a.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138066) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1124A — Anderson's BrigadeHindman's Division — Polk's Corps —
Anderson's Brigade. Hindman's Division -- Polk's Corps. Brigader General Patton Anderson. September 20, 1863, 7 A.M., 1st Position. 7th Mississippi – Colonel W. H. Bishop. 9th Mississippi – . . . — Map (db m138184) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-490 — Baird's DivisionThomas' Corps — Brigadier General Absalom Baird —
Baird's Division - Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General Absalom Baird. 1st Brigade - Colonel Benjamin F. Scribner. 2nd Brigade - Brigadier General John C. Starkweather. 3rd Brigade - Brigadier General John H. King. (September . . . — Map (db m137946) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-539 — Baldwin's BrigadeJohnson's Division — McCook's Corps —
Baldwin's Brigade Johnson's Division -- McCook's Corps. Colonel Philemon P. Baldwin. Colonel William W. Berry. 1st Position. 6th Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel Hagerman Tripp. 5th Kentucky - Colonel William W. Berry. . . . — Map (db m137989) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-875 — Battery A, 1st MichiganScribner's Brigade — Baird's Division —
U. Battery A, 1st Michigan Light Artillery. 6 10 Pounder Parrotts. Scribner's Brigade, Baird's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant George W. Van Pelt, Commanding (Killed). 2d Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m137907) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-876 — Battery A, 1st MichiganScribner's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Text on Front Side of Monument: Michigan To Her Loomis: Battery A, First Artillery. Lieutenant George W. Van Pelt, Commanding. Scribner's Brigade. Baird's Division. Thomas Corps. Text on Back Side of . . . — Map (db m138095) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-912 — Battery A, 1st Ohio Light ArtilleryWillich's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
Battery A, 1st Ohio Light Artillery 4 James, 2 Napoleons. Willich's Brigade, Johnson's Division, McCook's Corps. September 20, 1863, Afternoon Captain Wilbur F. Goodspeed, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Charles W. Scovill 2d Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m138182) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-914 — Battery A, 1st Ohio Light ArtilleryWillich's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
Battery A, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Willich's Brigade. 12:30 P.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m138688) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-921 — Battery C, 1st Ohio Light ArtilleryCroxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Battery C, 1st Ohio Light Artillery. 4 James, 2 Napoleons. Croxton's Brigade, Brannan's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant Marco B. Gary, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Hiram W. Turner. 2d . . . — Map (db m137900) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-881 — Battery D, 1st Michigan ArtilleryBrannan's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Battery D, First Michigan Artillery Morning September 19, 1863 — Map (db m137895) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-877A — Battery D, 1st Michigan ArtilleryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
U.S.A. Church's Michigan Battery, 6 Guns. Connell's Brigade, Brannan's Division September 19, 1863. 11 a.m. Captain Josiah W. Church. — Map (db m137899) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1061 — Battery H, 5th U.S. ArtilleryKing's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Battery H, 5th U. S. Artillery. 4 Napoleons, 2 Parrotts. King's Brigade, Baird's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant Howard M. Burnham, Commanding (Killed). 2d Lieutenant Joshua A. Fessenden . . . — Map (db m138007) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1062 — Battery H, 5th U.S. ArtilleryKing's Brigade — Baird's Division —
Text on South Side of Monument: Burnham's Battery H. 5th U.S. Artillery Text on East Side of Monument: Fought on This Ground Morning of September 19th, 1863. Was Captured By Liddell's Division . . . — Map (db m138099) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1136A — Brown's BrigadeStewart's Division — Buckner's Corps —
No.41. ............................................. C. Brown's Brigade. Stewart's Division - Buckner's Corps. Brigadier General John C. Brown. September 19, 1863, 2:30 P.M., 1st Position 18th Tennessee - Colonel . . . — Map (db m138147) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1091 — Cheatham's DivisionPolk's Corps — Major General Benjamin F. Polk —
No.99. ........................................... C. Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps. Major General Benjamin F. Cheatham. September. 20th, 1863. Jackson’s Brigade, - Brigadier General John K. Jackson. . . . — Map (db m137865) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1140A — Clayton's BrigadeStewart's Division — Buckner's Corps —
Clayton's Brigade. Stewart's Division - Buckner's Corps. Brigadier General Henry D. Clayton. September 20, 1863, Morning, 1st Position. 18th Alabama - Colonel J. T. Holtzclaw. 36th Alabama - Colonel Lewis T. Woodruff. . . . — Map (db m138135) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1140B — Clayton's BrigadeStewart's Division — Buckner's Corps —
Clayton's Brigade. Stewart's Division - Buckner's Corps. Brigadier General Henry D. Clayton. September 20, 1863, 11 A.M., 1st Position. 18th Alabama - Lieutenant Colonel R. F. Inge. 18th Alabama - Major P. F. Hunley. . . . — Map (db m138140) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1139A — Clayton's BrigadeStewart's Division — Buckner's Corps —
Clayton's Brigade. Stewart's Division - Buckner's Corps. Brigadier General Henry D. Clayton. September 19, 1863, 1:30 p.m. 18th Alabama - Colonel J. T. Holtzclaw. 36th Alabama - Colonel Lewis T. Woodruff. 38th Alabama . . . — Map (db m138149) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1139 — Clayton's BrigadeStewart's Division — Buckner's Corps —
No.40-B. .............................................. C. Clayton's Brigade. Stewart's Division - Buckner's Corps. Brigadier General Henry D. Clayton. September 19, 1863, 5 P.M., 3d Position. 18th Alabama - . . . — Map (db m138174) HM

2005 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 1605
Paid Advertisement