Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

 
Mother Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Dávalos Marker and bust image, Touch for more information
By J. Makali Bruton, July 18, 2019
Mother Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Dávalos Marker and bust
El Salvador, La Libertad, Antiguo Cuscatlán — Mother Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Dávalos
Sierva de Dios Madre Cesarita Ruiz de Esparza y Davalos Fundadora de la Congregación de Hermanas Josefinas México 27 de agosto 1829 24 de abril 1884 “Dios me ve” English translation: Servant of God . . . — Map (db m137904) HM
El Salvador, Sonsonate — Monsignor Oscar Arnulfo Romero Galdámez
El obispo, el clero, las religiosas y el pueblo católico de la Diócesis de Sonsonate. Conmemorando el 25 aniversario de la muerte martirial del Siervo de Dios Mons. Oscar Arnulfo Romero Galdamez con gratitud y admiración a tan insigne . . . — Map (db m137841) HM WM
India, Kerala (Ernakulam), Kochi — Paradesi Synagogue
Paradesi Synagogue Stabilisation and Conservation of the Clock Tower A project of World Monuments Fund Jewish Heritage Program In partnership with the Jewish Community of Cochin and the National Culture Fund The World Monuments Fund (WMF) . . . — Map (db m137909) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Cedar Bluff — Long Shadows House
Constructed around 1875 by John Seaborn Watt for his bride, Emma Chastillette Williamson, this fine example of Victorian architecture was originally located near Yancey's Bend prior to the construction of Weiss Lake. The site was going to be . . . — Map (db m137844) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992. There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed four different plaques. The plaques are now missing. The following plaque was . . . — Map (db m137425) HM
Florida (Duval County), Atlantic Beach — F-953 — The Continental Hotel Site
In the late 19th century, Henry Flagler created the Florida East Coast Railway (FEC) and the Florida East Coast Hotel Company, both of significantly boosted development and tourism for Florida. By 1900, Flagler had purchased the local Jacksonville . . . — Map (db m137857) HM
Florida (Duval County), Bayport — US Merchant Marine
(Side 1) US Merchant Marine Dedicated September 14, 1999 Mayport Florida In memory of the men and women of all nations who loyally served aboard United States merchant ships in war and peace (Side 2) American . . . — Map (db m137894) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — All Veterans
For God – Honor – Country the flag flying today is in honor and memory of All Veterans — Map (db m137883) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — James Edwin CraigOctober 29, 1901 – December 7, 1941
The James E. Craig Memorial pavilion is dedicated to the memory of Jacksonville native, James Edwin Craig, the namesake of Jacksonville Executive at Craig Airport. He served his country with honor. After becoming an aviator in 1929, he served on . . . — Map (db m137888) HM WM
Florida (Duval County), Mayport — Historic Old Mayport Cemetery
0 This is the site of the Historic Old Mayport Cemetery, on Navy, City of Jacksonville and nearby private properties, covered beneath considerable fill material, roadways and private development. The names of some who are interred here are known; . . . — Map (db m137916) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1288 — 10th Confederate Georgia CavalryScott's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. Companies, "F", "G", "H", "I", "K", 10th Confederate. Colonel C.T. Goode. Scott's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137827) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-961 — 11th Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
11th, Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137835) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-969 — 17th Ohio InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
17th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Connell's Brigade. 10:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137879) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1276 — 1st Georgia CavalryDavidson's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 1st Cavalry. Colonel J.J Morrison. Davidson's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137829) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1310 — 25th Georgia InfantryWilson's Brigade — Walker's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 25th Infantry. Lieutenant Colonel A.J. Williams. Wilson's Brigade. Gist's Walker's Division. 8:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137830) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — Mt-1312 — 29th Georgia InfantryWilson's Brigade — Walker's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 29th Infantry. Lieutenant George R. McRae. Wilson's Brigade. Gist's Walker's Division. 8:30 A.M., September 20, 1863. — Map (db m137831) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-992 — 35th Ohio InfantryVanDerveer's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
35th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Van Derveer's Brigade. 10:00 to 11:30 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137880) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-995 — 36th Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
36th, Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137837) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1284 — 6th Georgia CavalryDavidson's Brigade — Pegram's Division —
C.S.A. Georgia. 6th Cavalry. Colonel John R. Hart. Davidson's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 7:30 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137832) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-840 — 82nd Indiana InfantryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Eighty-Second Regiment Infantry. (Hunter) First Brigade. (Connell) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 9 A.M. to 12 M. — Map (db m137882) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-850 — 87th Indiana InfantryVanDerveer's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Indiana. Eighty-Seventh Regiment Infantry. (Gleason) Third Brigade. (VanDerveer) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 8 a.m. — Map (db m137884) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1020 — 92nd Ohio InfantryTurchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division —
92d. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade. 4:30 p.m. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m137842) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-875 — Battery A, 1st MichiganScribner's Brigade — Baird's Division —
U. Battery A, 1st Michigan Light Artillery. 6 10 Pounder Parrotts. Scribner's Brigade, Baird's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant George W. Van Pelt, Commanding (Killed). 2d Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m137907) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-921 — Battery C, 1st Ohio Light ArtilleryCroxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
Battery C, 1st Ohio Light Artillery. 4 James, 2 Napoleons. Croxton's Brigade, Brannan's Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant Marco B. Gary, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Hiram W. Turner. 2d . . . — Map (db m137900) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-881 — Battery D, 1st Michigan ArtilleryBrannan's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Battery D, First Michigan Artillery Morning September 19, 1863 — Map (db m137895) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-877A — Battery D, 1st Michigan ArtilleryConnell's Brigade — Brannan's Division —
U.S.A. Church's Michigan Battery, 6 Guns. Connell's Brigade, Brannan's Division September 19, 1863. 11 a.m. Captain Josiah W. Church. — Map (db m137899) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1091 — Cheatham's DivisionPolk's Corps — Major General Benjamin F. Polk —
No.99. ........................................... C. Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps. Major General Benjamin F. Cheatham. September. 20th, 1863. Jackson’s Brigade, - Brigadier General John K. Jackson. . . . — Map (db m137865) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-563 — Connell's BrigadeBrannan's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Connell's Brigade. Brannan's Division ... Thomas' Corps. Colonel John M. Connell. September 19, 1863 - 10 a.m. 1st Position 82nd Indiana - Colonel Morton C. Hunter. 17th Ohio - Lieutenant Colonel Durbin Ward. 31st . . . — Map (db m137889) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1104 — Liddell's DivisionWalker's Corps — Brigadier General St. John R. Liddell —
Liddell's Division, - Walker's Corps. Brigadier General St. John R. Liddell. September 19, 1863, 11 a.m. Liddell's Brigade, - Colonel Daniel C. Govan. Walthall's Brigade, - Brigadier General Edward C. Walthall. About 10:30 a.m. . . . — Map (db m137939) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-452A — Philemon P. Baldwin Memorial Shell MonumentBaldwin's Brigade — Johnson's Division —
Philemon P. Baldwin, Colonel 6th Indiana, Commanding 3d Brigade, Johnson's Division, Killed Here About 7 p.m. September 19th, 1863 — Map (db m137905) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1204A — Polk's BrigadeCleburne's Division — Hill's Corps —
No. 36-A. ....................................... C. Polk's Brigade Cleburne's Division - Hill's Corps Brigadier General Lucius E. Polk September 19, 1863, 6:30 P.M., 2d Position 1st Arkansas - Colonel John W. . . . — Map (db m137937) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1371 — Scott's Tennessee BatterySmith's Brigade — Cheatham's Division —
Tennessee Scott's Battery Smith's Brigade Cheatham's Division 1:30 P.M. September 19, 1863Map (db m137845) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1370A — Scott's Tennessee BatterySmith's Brigade — Cheatham's Division —
C.S.A. Scott's Tennessee Battery 4 Gun Smith's Brigade, Cheatham's Division September 19, 1863. 12:30 to 2 p.m. Lieutenant A.T. Watson. — Map (db m137868) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1370 — Scott's Tennessee BatterySmith's Brigade — Cheatham's Division —
C. Scott's Tennessee Battery. 2 6 Pounders, 2 12 Pounders Howitzers. Smith's Brigade, Cheatham's Division, Polk's Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant John H. Marsh, Commanding (Wounded). 2d . . . — Map (db m137870) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-626 — Scribner's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Scribner's Brigade. Baird's Division - Thomas' Corps. Colonel Benjamin F. Scribner September 19, 1863, 4:30 p.m., 3d Position 38th Indiana - Lieutenant Colonel Daniel F. Griffin. 2nd Ohio - Major William T. Beatty. . . . — Map (db m137932) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1210 — Smith's BrigadeCheatham's Division — Polk's Corps —
Smith's Brigade. Cheatham's Division - Polk's Corps. Brigadier General Preston Smith. Colonel Alfred J. Vaughn, Jr. September 19, 1863. Noon. 11th Tennessee - Colonel George W. Gordon. 12th Tennessee - Colonel . . . — Map (db m137864) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-637 — Starkweather's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Starkweather's Brigade. Baird's Division - Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General John C. Starkweather. September 19, 1863. 4:30 p.m., 3rd Position 24th Illinois - Colonel Geza Mihalotzy. 24th Illinois - Captain August . . . — Map (db m137928) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-635 — Starkweather's BrigadeBaird's Division — Thomas' Corps —
Starkweather's Brigade. Baird's Division -- Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General John C. Starkweather. 1st Position 24th Illinois - Colonel Geza Mihalotzy. 24th Illinois - Captain August Mauff. 79th Pennsylvania - . . . — Map (db m137931) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1213 — Stovall's BrigadeBreckinridge's Division — Hill's Corps —
Stovall's Brigade. Breckinridge's Division, - Hill's Corps. Brigadier General Marcellus A. Stovall. September 20, 1863, 9:30 a.m., 1st Position 1st, and 3rd, Florida, - Colonel William S. Dilworth. 4th, Florida, - . . . — Map (db m137772) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1218 — Strahl's BrigadeCheatham's Division — Polk's Corps —
Strahl's Brigade Cheatham’s Division - Polk’s Corps. Brigadier General Otho F. Strahl. September 20, 1863, 6 P.M. 4th Tennessee and 5th Tennessee - Colonel Jonathan J. Lamb. 19th Tennessee - Colonel Francis M. Walker. 24th . . . — Map (db m137789) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1216 — Strahl's BrigadeCheatham's Division — Polk's Corps —
No.39. ........................................... C. Strahl's Brigade. Cheatham’s Division - Polk’s Corps. Brigadier General Otho F. Strahl. September 19, 1863, Noon. 4th Tennessee and 5th Tennessee - Colonel . . . — Map (db m137863) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-639 — Turchin's BrigadeReynolds' Division — Thomas' Corps —
Turchin's Brigade. Reynolds' Division - Thomas' Corps. Brigadier General John B. Turchin. September 19, 1863, 3:30 p.m. 11th Ohio - Colonel Philander P. Lane, Commanding. About 3:30 p.m., after a spirited engagement with the . . . — Map (db m137861) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1333 — Warren Mississippi Light ArtilleryGovan's Brigade — Liddell's Division —
Warren Mississippi Light Artillery. 2 Napoleons, 2 James. Govan's Brigade, Liddell's Division, Walker's Corps. September 19, 1863. 1st Lieutenant H. Shannon, Commanding. 2d Lieutenant W. P. McDonald. This battery was . . . — Map (db m137922) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Ardick — 095-33 — Capture of 26 Men in 1864
Near here, in Ebenezer Church which was acting as the McIntosh County Courthouse following the burning of Darien by United States forces in 1863, 26 men were captured by U.S. troops on the night of August 3rd, 1864. These civilians, many of . . . — Map (db m137906) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Gambrills — Linthicum WalksGambrills, MD.
Part of 1672 Land Grant to Evan Davis. House begun c.1780 by Thomas Linthicum Enlarged c.1840. — Map (db m137925) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Chuck Foreman FieldDedicated to Walter Eugene "Chuck" Foreman — September 22, 2014 —
Frederick High School alumnus Chuck Foreman excelled at track, basketball, and football. He played defensive back, wide receiver, and running back positions for the University of Miami Hurricanes before being drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in . . . — Map (db m137815) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Schifferstadt
Schifferstadt has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Built in 1758 by Elias Brunner, this farmhouse is an . . . — Map (db m137812) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Schifferstadt Architectural Museum
Schifferstadt, a rare and significant structure, is one of the finest examples of German colonial architecture in the country. Built in 1758 by the Brunner family (early German settlers who owned several farms in the area), it was situated on a . . . — Map (db m137811) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Shab Row
In the years following the Civil War, Shab Row was the center of family life for Frederick's African American population. It was a close-knit community of tinkers, tailors, blacksmiths, wheelwrights, carpenters and cobblers. By the early 1900's, . . . — Map (db m137806) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Tanneries
"These industries [tanneries] have been individually examined by me and will compare favorably in cleanliness with any industry in the city." -Franklin B. Smith, M.D., Report on Sanitary Condition of Frederick County, 1886 — Map (db m137807) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — The Original C. Burr Artz Library
"...Purchase a lot of land in said Frederic eligibly situated and to erect thereon a building suitable to be occupied and used as a public library...the said librry shall at all times be known and called the 'C. Burr Artz Library' and shall at all . . . — Map (db m137810) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — The Story of Community Bridge
In early 1993, artist William M. Cochran suggested to the City of Frederick that the Carroll Street Bridge, a plain concrete structure, could be transformed with paint, imagination and public participation into a work of art. His goal was to . . . — Map (db m137808) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Walter Eugene "Chuck" Foreman#44
Born: October 26, 1950 Place of Birth: Frederick County, Maryland Graduated from Frederick High School in 1969 Attended the University of Miami from 1969 to 1972 where he played defensive back, wide receiver, and running back. . . . — Map (db m137814) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Hungerford Tavern/Susan Russell HouseExplore Early Rockville Walking Tour - Site #5 — Location: Northwest Corner of West Jefferson and South Washington Street —
Charles Hungerford's tavern was the site of important events in the early history of Montgomery County. Three months prior to the Continental Congress in 1774, local citizens met at Hungerford Tavern to protest oppressive actions of the British . . . — Map (db m137723) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Williams Plains
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1813 — Map (db m137924) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — Bishop Thomas John Claggett
1743 -- 1816 First Episcopal Bishop Consecrated in the United States First Chaplain of the U.S. Senate In Washington "How awesome is the dawn sky above the hills of Croom... it makes my heart sing 'Praised Be God'" — Map (db m137752) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Hyattsville — Suffrage Motorcade
On July 31, 1913, "Couriers to Congress" from across the nation converged at the nearby Hyattsville baseball park. Carrying 75,000 signatures demanding immediate action on a constitutional amendment enfranchising women. Hyattsville residents warmly . . . — Map (db m137926) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), North Brentwood — Gwendolyn Britt Senior Activity Center
Gwendolyn Britt Senior Activity Center Opened in 2009 and located in the North Brentwood Municipal Center, The Gwendolyn Britt Senior Activity Center was carefully planned and designed for those aged 60 and over. The Center features a . . . — Map (db m137927) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Lancaster — Neck Bridge
Before the building of the center bridge road in 1800, the road from the center to the old common continued south from this point across the Neck Bridge, which was located 60 rods below the present center bridge. It is shown on the 1794 map as 173 . . . — Map (db m137850) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Shelby Charter Township — L2183 — Spring Hill Farm / Utica Nike Base
Spring Hill Farm Peter and Sarah Lerich established Spring Hill Farm in the 1830s. Their daughter Liberetta wrote in 1923 that her parents, opponents of slavery, had built a hiding place into a hillside as part of the Underground Railroad. . . . — Map (db m137840) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Utica — Historic Utica
Map (db m137855) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Lake Orion — L2087 — Carpenter-Rudd Mill
Joseph Jackson built one of the first sawmills in Orion Township on this site in 1825. During the nineteenth century the waters of Paint Creek powered machines that cut logs into board lumber and ground wheat into flour. In 1835, Powell Carpenter . . . — Map (db m137878) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Oakland Township — L2015 — Paint Creek Millrace
Paint Creek begins in a Brandon Township wetland and flows southeast to Rochester where it empties into the Clinton River. Today a thriving trout stream, the creek was important for waterpower during the nineteenth century. Needham Hemingway dammed . . . — Map (db m137897) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Rochester — L759 — Rochester
The area known as Rochester was settled in 1817 by James Graham. It was the first permanent settlement in present-day Oakland County. The community was named in honor of Rochester, New York, where many of its pioneers once lived. In 1819 the first . . . — Map (db m137749) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — Northville Valve PlantHenry Ford's Experiment
In Northville, Henry Ford tried something new. His first "village industry" was established here in 1920, to make valves for Model-Ts and tractors, using the Rouge River for power. He hired local workers, and even selected local children . . . — Map (db m137792) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — Roadside Refreshmentat Northville's Silver Spring Well
It has been a Northville landmark for generations. As far back as 1913, city residents enjoyed cold spring water from the artesian well here, and visitors traveled here to fill their bottles. On the other side of the nearby railroad tracks, . . . — Map (db m137902) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Maplewood — Building the "Skally"
You are standing at the turntable of the St. Paul & Duluth Roundhouse. Round and Round They Go A roundhouse, or engine house, is named for its distinctive shape and used for repairing and storing locomotives. Turntables allowed for efficient . . . — Map (db m137787) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Maplewood — History in Depth
Minnesota has some of the most interesting geological history found anywhere on Earth. Depending on where you stand in the state you can see rock formed 3.6 billion years ago and then exposed during the last ice age. The bedrock soils beneath . . . — Map (db m137788) HM
New York (Clinton County), Clintonville — 537 — Clintonville
Prominent for iron industry, one of region’s largest bloomery forges 1833-1890. Used ore from Arnold Hill, Palmer Hill and Winter Mine. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 537Map (db m137824) HM
New York (Clinton County), East Beekmantown — East Beekmantown
Here lie buried
Revolutionary Soldiers and sons who resisted invading southbound British forces in this forested area
September 6, 1814 East Beekmantown Cemetery Corp.Map (db m137920) HM WM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Highland Turnpike
Incorporated in 1804. An early road — Map (db m137800) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church1902
First church on this site 1861 destroyed by fire 1901. N.Y.S. & National Historical RegistriesMap (db m137802) HM
New York (Columbia County), Elizaville — Calendar House
Built by Samuel Ten Broeck in 1773. Later purchased by Gen. Harry Livingston whose descendants held it until 1861. — Map (db m137803) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m137747) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Livingston - Greenport Line
Livingston a manor 1686, a dist. 1772, included Ancram, Taghkanick, Gallatin, Copake, Clermont. Town 1788. In 1837 Greenport formed from Hudson — Map (db m137804) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Olana Viewshed
This landscape made famous by Hudson River School painter Frederic E. Church 1826-1900. Protected by the Scenic Hudson Land Trust. — Map (db m137859) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Studio and Viewshed
Although Frederic Church painted at his Hudson Valley farm from the time he purchased it in 1860, he did not build a studio here until about 1864-65. On the site where you are standing, he erected a "plain but ample” 24-foot-square, . . . — Map (db m137805) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Final resting place of The Senecas
Final resting place of The Senecas of the Genesee Valley that the Mt. Morris Dam inundated. Buffalo Creek Council Fire. June 22, 1952 — Map (db m137877) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Rebecca Gilbert and Elizabeth Peart
. First white women to reside within the limits of Buffalo. Taken as captives from Pennsylvania in 1780, they lived among the Seneca Indians until their release in 1782. Original marker dedicated July 9, 1937. Replaced by the New York . . . — Map (db m137874) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Seneca Indian Park
In this vicinity from 1780 to 1842 dwelt the larger portion of the Seneca Nation of the Iroquois League. In this enclosure were buried Red Jacket, Mary Jemison the white woman of the Genesee and many of the noted chiefs and leaders of the nation . . . — Map (db m137871) HM
New York (Essex County), Jay — Village Green
Sited on lands donated by John Purmort, the Village Green dates to the town’s founding in 1798. The green and bandstand remain an integral part of Jay’s cultural history. — Map (db m137848) HM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — 561 — Mineral Spring
Water from this spring was used medicinally & later sold in molded bottles as Dietade, flat or sparkling, from 1914 to 1942. William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2019 • 561Map (db m137823) HM
New York (Essex County), Newcomb — Theodore RooseveltBecame President of the United States Near this Point
Near this point while driving hastily from Tahawus Club to North Creek at 2:15 A.M. Sept 14 1901 Theodore Roosevelt became President of the United States as William McKinley expired in Buffalo Relay Drivers David Hunter • Upper Works to Lower . . . — Map (db m137860) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Dolgeville — Daniel GreenCompany Factory Complex
Built 1882-95 by A. Dolge entered Sept. 17, 1974 on the National Register of Historic Places Bicentennial ‘76Map (db m137930) HM
New York (New York County), New York — McCarthy Square
The 1811 Commissioners’ Plan, the far-reaching gridiron pattern which laid out the streets and avenues of Manhattan, had little immediate impact on the western part of Greenwich Village. The grid was intended to provide a system for the orderly . . . — Map (db m137826) HM
New York (New York County), New York — St. Anthony of Padua Church
Formed in 1866, it is the oldest Catholic congregation in the United States established to serve Italian immigrants. This structure, dedicated in 1888, was the first house of worship constructed by Italians in our nation. Since its founding, St. . . . — Map (db m137901) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Day — “Hi-N-Dri”
At Brooks Bay, home of Ira “Adirondack Ike” Gray 1886-1982 noted woodsman, author community-minded individual Town of DayMap (db m137935) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Beecher Hollow
Methodist Church built in 1836 due to strong influence of early Beecher Hollow settler Jesse Barker II a Revolutionary War Veteran. — Map (db m137938) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
“We rode over a fine sandy cart road through a woods of nothing but beautiful evergreen or fir trees.” Dankers and Sluyter 1680 — Map (db m137846) HM
New York (Warren County), Johnsburg — Mathew B. BradyCivil War Photographer — CA. 1822-1896 —
Childhood Home Near this Site Matthew Brady was born of Irish immigrant parents and grew up here in Johnsburg off what is today called Pasco Road. Some records suggest that he was actually born here. Youngest of three children, his father was . . . — Map (db m137822) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Ann — Fort Anne
On July 8, 1777, Patriot forces slowed advancing British forces and helped assure victory at Saratoga. — Map (db m137866) HM
New York (Washington County), Hartford — Civil War Mound and Urn
Erected to honor the 23 Hartford men who died while in service Mound erected 1897 Urn placed 1910 22nd Infantry: John Miner, George Minor, James Wythe; 16th Artillery: John Burton, Albert Higley; 93rd Infantry: John Hughes, William Orcutt; 123rd . . . — Map (db m137912) WM
New York (Washington County), Middle Granville — Middle Granville
Established in 1778 as an early business center First slate quarry opened by William R. Williams in 1853 attracting many Welsh settlers By W.C.H.S., 2002Map (db m137918) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Rowsburg — Historical Brick Section Of The LINCOLN HIGHWAYLincoln Highway — 1913 - 1928 —

[Title is text] — Map (db m137891) HM

Ohio (Ashland County), Rowsburg — RowsburgFounded Apr. 15, 1835

Near this spot in Sept. 1861 James Garfield, who later became 20th President of the Nation, recruited 50 members of Co. C for his regiment, the 42nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for Civil War service.

Erected June . . . — Map (db m137858) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 43-9 — Butler County Children’s Home1869- 1985
Side A The Civil War created orphaned and impoverished children across the nation. To establish a home for area children, a group of Hamilton women met with Reverends Thane Miller and Benjamin W. Chidlaw in January 1869. By May, the women . . . — Map (db m137852) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — OHS 41- 9 — Hamilton Airport- Hogan Field
Side A The Hogan Family owned and operated what was known as the Hamilton Airport for over 52 years. Airplane owner and pilot, Carl "Pop" Muhlberger and aviation enthusiast and farmer, Joe Hogan, co-founded the airport in July 1929. . . . — Map (db m137853) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — "Veterans Plaza"City of Independence — Dedicated May 27 1996 —

Army ☆ Navy ☆ Air Force ☆ Marine Corps Coast Guard ☆ Merchant Marines ☆ All Reserve Forces

This plaza is dedicated to the sons and daughters of the City of Independence who have fought to . . . — Map (db m137936) WM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Industrial Cleveland

By the late 1800s, Cleveland became part of the industrial revolution. Petroleum refining, steel making, chemical processing, and machine-tool production made the city a thriving economic center, as did its location in a national . . . — Map (db m137915) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Old Stone Church of Independence Sesquicentennial

A Community of Faith

1855-2005

Celebration of

the past, the present, the future ———————————— Independence Presbyterian Church

Founded 1837 . . . — Map (db m137917) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Ride the Rails

The first steam engine chugged its way down the new Valley Railway in 1880, beginning an era of progress for the Cuyahoga Valley. Regional industrial growth boosted demand for coal and other raw materials. The railway connected mineral . . . — Map (db m137913) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — Route to the Coalfields

"Recent investigations have developed a wealth of coal...deposits, which will find an outlet to market over the Valley Railway...." So declared the founders of the Valley Railway Company in an 1874 prospectus. While this railroad . . . — Map (db m137914) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Independence — The Quarry Era

From 1840 to 1900 quality sandstone & grinding wheels were quarried here & shipped throughout the States via the Ohio Canal.

Now only abandoned quarries remain. The Historic Society & Kiwanis Club of Independence joined in 1980 to . . . — Map (db m137919) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — 140 East Main Street1832

Fairfield Heritage Association Historic Landmark Recognized by the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137819) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — City Hall1897

Fairfield Heritage Association Historic Landmark Recognized by the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137820) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — Daniel Sifford House1840

Fairfield Heritage Association Historic Landmark Recognized by the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137821) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — Decorative Arts Center of Ohioat the Reese-Peters House — (Welcome to the) —

The Reese-Peters House, home of the Decorative Arts Center of Ohio, is an exceptional example of transitional Greek Revival architecture demonstrating characteristics of both Federal and Greek Revival styles. The house was built in . . . — Map (db m137813) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — Saint John's Episcopal Church1848

Fairfield Heritage Association Historic Landmark Recognized by the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137851) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — Saint Peter's Lutheran Church1882

Fairfield Heritage Association Historic Landmark Recognized by the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m137856) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — The Fairfield Building

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m137784) HM

Ohio (Fairfield County), Lancaster — The Georgian(AKA Samuel Maccracken House)

This structure has been recorded by the Historic American Building Survey of the United States Department of the Interior for its archives at the Library of Congress . . . — Map (db m137849) HM

Ohio (Putnam County), Pandora — 6-69 — Bridenbaugh District #3 School
side A One room schools were commonly named for people who furnished land for the building. Michael Bridenbaugh (1820- 1895), who settled in Riley Township in 1835, and wife Jemima (1834- 1903) sold a half-acre of land to the Riley . . . — Map (db m137736) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Canton — Judge Leroy J. Contie, Jr.April 2, 1920 - May 11, 2001

Canton City Solicitor (Law Director) 1951-1960

Judge, Court of Common Pleas, Stark County 1969-1971

U.S. District Judge, Northern District of Ohio 1971-1982

U.S. Circuit Judge, Sixth Circuit . . . — Map (db m137911) HM

Ohio (Stark County), Canton — Mayor Stanley A. CmichAugust 14, 1916 - January 24, 2009 — Canton Safety Director 1952-1957 • Mayor of the City of Canton 1964-1983 —

Mayor Stanley A. Cmich was Canton's longest serving mayor, holding office for 20 years. Mayor Cmich served in the U.S. Army in World War II and was awarded two Purple Heart decorations. He began his career in public service in the City . . . — Map (db m137896) HM

Ohio (Stark County), Canton — Ralph Hay WayFounder of the NFL — September 17, 1920 —

[Photos of Ralph Hay, Hay's Auto Dealership and the Canton Bulldogs (photo appears to show Jim Thorpe, who played for Canton in 1920)] — Map (db m137892) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — In Memory of John (Jack) BrennanRetired Fire Captain
Brighton Heights wishes to thank Jack Brennan For His Dedication To Community, Family and Friends. He Was Instrumental In Helping Put Brighton Heights On The Map. He Had A Special Way Of Caring For Those Who Needed Help. His Caring Helped Bridge . . . — Map (db m137908)
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Interred in this church yard are the mortal remains of General Thomas Proctor1739—1806
1772—Elected a member of the Carpenter's Company and was instrumental in obtaining the use of Carpenter's Hall for the Continental Congress 1775—Commissioned Captain of an artillery company 1776—Major of a Batallion of . . . — Map (db m137767) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks
When the Powel House was threatened with demolition to make way for a parking lot in 1931, Frances Anne Wister, a prominent Philadelphia citizen, and Herman Leis Duhring of the American Institute of Architects set to work to save it. Miss . . . — Map (db m137817) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Powel House1765
He was the enemy of all exorbitants Powers and a sincere Friend to the Liberties of his Country. To all this was added a Taste for Science, for the Fine Arts and for all the Improvements of Civil Life. Epitaph of Samuel Powel, Christ Church . . . — Map (db m137816) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Blacksburg — In Honor of the Three Known African American Patriots
In honor of the three known African American patriots and others who participated in the Battle of Kings Mountain Esaias Bowman John Brody Andrew Ferguson Marker placed by The Col. Frederick Hambright Chapter, NSDAR . . . — Map (db m137886) WM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Mount Le ConteGreat Smoky Mountains National Park
Here on top of Mount Le Conte you are standing more than one vertical mile above the valley below. Although other peaks in the park rise higher, Mount Le Conte boasts the tallest face (distance from base to summit) of any mountain east of the . . . — Map (db m137898) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — John Adams
Tennessee born John Adams was a West Point graduate. He was commissioned Brigadier to rank from December 29, 1862, after assuming command of Maryland born Lloyd Tilghman’s Brigade. Joining The Army of Tennessee at Resaca in May 1864, the Brigade . . . — Map (db m137828) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — John C. Carter
Commissioned Brigadier to rank from July 7, 1864 Carter had worked his way up from the rank of Captain by distinguishing himself with the Army of Tennessee at Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro & Chickamauga. Taking part in the Atlanta Campaign, . . . — Map (db m137862) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — 15582 — Davison Home
Built by Frank and Florence Haven Davison, 1895-1897. Sturdy Victorian structure, of cypress. Home of first child born in Texas City (formerly named Shoal Point). Survivor of many storms; suffered most in 1947 disaster. Davison, prominent . . . — Map (db m137809) HM
Texas (Hockley County), Levelland — 14065 — Fifth Street Missionary Baptist Church
In 1921, thirteen area residents, under the leadership of a Rev. Curry, organized a congregation, originally known as First Missionary Baptist Church. This was the first church in the newly established Hockley City (now Levelland), and many early . . . — Map (db m137893) HM
Texas (Hood County), Acton — 6256 — Three Miles South to the Grave of Elizabeth Crockett
Three miles south to the grave of Elizabeth Crockett Wife of David Crockett, hero of the Alamo Died March 2, 1860 Age 74 — Map (db m137839) HM
Texas (Jack County), Jacksboro — 2010 — Fort Richardson Cavalry Post Hospital, 1867
In fort built to halt Indian depredations in North Texas. One of buildings and units on inspection in May 1871 by Gen. Wm. Tecumseh Sherman, when news came of massacre of Warren Wagon Train, 24 miles northwest. Killers, later found at Fort Sill, . . . — Map (db m137873) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 1226 — Dinosaur Tracks
Formed 100,000,000 years ago, tracks of 3 kinds of dinosaurs are preserved in the limestone below Paluxy River. Types include Acrocanthosaurus (a meat-eater), Camptosaurus (plant-eater who left 3-toed bird-like tracks), and Pleurocoelus (a . . . — Map (db m137798) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 1781 — First National Bank
Hand hewn-native stone structure, built 1896 by A. P. Humphreys, as saloon. Lodge hall upstairs hosted dances, socials, stage shows. First National moved in, 1902, with such customers as Col. Charles Goodnight, trail-blazing cattleman. . . . — Map (db m137838) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 4977 — Somervell County
Named for Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), native of Maryland, veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, Secretary of War under Texas President David G. Burnet; commanded the 1842 Somervell Expedition seeking to end Mexican invasions of Texas Republic. . . . — Map (db m137836) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Westworth Village — 14057 — Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation Plant No. 4
Prior to World War II, the U.S. aircraft industry focused primarily on producing aircraft for civilian airlines; few manufacturers specialized in military airplane construction. In the fall of 1940, the War Department determined that expected future . . . — Map (db m137869) HM
Texas (Wise County), Runaway Bay — 18227 — Lake Bridgeport World War II Training Site
When the U.S. was drawn into World War II in 1941 the federal government increased the number of training facilities across the nation. The area around Lake Bridgeport (built in 1931) made for an ideal site to train airmen and test equipment without . . . — Map (db m137872) HM
Virginia (Fauquier), Upperville — B 43 — Mary Elizabeth Conover Mellon(1904-1946)
Mary E. Conover Mellon lived nearby with her second husband, the philanthropist Paul Mellon. Interested in the humanities and deeply influenced by the work of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung, she was instrumental in establishing the Bollingen Series of . . . — Map (db m137799) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Upperville — B 41 — Paul Mellon(1907-1999)
Paul Mellon, one of the foremost American philanthropists of the 20th century, lived nearby. An heir to the vast banking and industrial fortune left by his father, Andrew W. Mellon, he supported universities, civic improvement projects, conservation . . . — Map (db m137797) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Upperville — B 42 — Rokeby Stables
Paul Mellon established Rokeby Stables near here on property purchased in 1931 by his father, Andrew W. Mellon, financier and U.S. secretary of the treasury. Paul Mellon bred and raised champion racehorses, including American Way, Grand National . . . — Map (db m137791) HM
West Virginia, Charleston — Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th president of the U.S. in 1860. He received fewer than 2,000 votes in Virginia, most from present-day West Virginia. Lincoln preserved the Union, ended slavery, and played the decisive role in the admission . . . — Map (db m137890) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Belle — Camp Piatt
Site of the largest Civil War camp in the Kanawha Valley, it was named for Union Col. A. Sanders Piatt of the 34th Ohio (Zouaves). Location along present-day U.S. Route 60 and the Kanawha River was of strategic importance to troops of both . . . — Map (db m137854) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Charleston — Fort Scammon
With a commanding view of the area below, present-day Fort Hill was used by both Civil War armies. The Confederate push into the Kanawha Valley in 1862 relied on artillery on the heights, and Union troops created a more permanent presence in 1863, . . . — Map (db m137903) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Charleston — George W. Summers
Born in Fairfax County in 1804. he came to Kanawha Valley as a child. Secured reforms benefiting western Virginia at 1850-51 Constitutional Convention. Served at 1861 Peace Conference that tried to avoid war and voted against secession at . . . — Map (db m137910) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Dupont City — Burning Spring Monument
The burning spring that existed here and the salt lick that was located three miles downstream at the river’s edge were two natural phenomena that influenced much of the development of the Kanawha Valley. The spring was agitated by bubbling natural . . . — Map (db m137881) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), East Bank — East Bank High School
Built as Cabin Creek District H.S. in 1912; name was later changed to East Bank H.S. Served the upper Kanawha Valley for eighty-seven years before 1999 consolidation with Dupont H. S. to form Riverside H. S. College All-American, Jerry West, . . . — Map (db m137843) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Gallagher — Mucklow/Gallagher, WV — America’s Byways — Paint Creek Scenic Trail —
The town of Mucklow received its name from one of the early business men and coal operator’s on Paint Creek. In 1900 Richard M. Mucklow, along with his four brothers came to West Virginia from Scranton, Pa. and were instrumental in organizing the . . . — Map (db m137796) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Hansford — Bull Moose Special
Armor-plated train used against striking miners during the Paint Creek-Cabin Creek Strike. On February 7, 1913, coal operator Quin Morton, Sheriff Bonner Hill, and several railroad men and deputies, armed with rifles and machine gun, rode train . . . — Map (db m137833) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Hansford — Holly Grove “Bull Moose Special” — Paint Creek Scenic Trail —
The town of Holly Grove first came into prominence during the 1912-1913 coal strike and mine war. This was the location of a major tent colony that was established when the Paint Creek miners were evicted from their homes by the coal companies. Fred . . . — Map (db m137834) HM
West Virginia (Roane County), Spencer — Capture of Spencer
On September 2, 1862, during the Jenkins Raid, Union Col. Rathbone (11th West Virginia Volunteers) surrendered the town of Jenkins without firing a shot in its defense, much to the disdain of men under his command. As a result of their actions, . . . — Map (db m137929) HM
West Virginia (Roane County), Walton — Pocatalico River
The Pocatalico River keeps alive the Indian word which meant “Plenty of Fat Doe.” Here early hunters and trappers brought their furs and by canoe made their way down this stream to Great Kanawha River and markets. — Map (db m137923) HM

146 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement