Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1862 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1662
 
3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA Marker<br>(<i>tall view • dedication plaque above marker</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2019
3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA Marker
(tall view • dedication plaque above marker)
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — 3rd Field Artillery Regiment, RCA(The Loyal Company) — 1793-1993 —
English:This plaque commemorates the bicentenary of the 3rd Field Artillery Regiment (The Loyal Company), Royal Canadian Artillery, formed in Saint John, New Brunswick, on May 4, 1793 as “The Loyal Company of Artillery” . . . — Map (db m139194) HM WM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Bailey House / Maison Bailey130 Chapel Street / 130, rue Chapel
English: Believed to have been built in the 1860’s for the Hon. Charles Connell, this Gothic Revival house was leased to Charles Bailey, a shoemaker and carpenter from the 1870’s through to his death in 1902. Bailey may have been . . . — Map (db m140137) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Connell House/Maison Connell
Lumber merchant and politician, Charles Connell had this house constructed circa 1840. Its pedimented front and freestanding columns make it a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Such houses inspired by classical temples are rare . . . — Map (db m139149) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. Brown House / Maison du Dr. Brown121 Chapel Street / 121, rue Chapel
English: This Classic Revival, 2 1/2 story house was built in 1896 for bank manager Mr. George White (1861-1922), and sold to Dr. J.F. Leigh Brown in 1920. Dr. Brown had just returned to Woodstock after being the Chief Medical . . . — Map (db m139199) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Dr. W.D. Rankin House / Maison du Dr. W.D. Rankin737 Main Street / 737, rue Main
English: In 1905 Woodstock physician and surgeon Dr. William D. Rankin, who had been instrumental in establishing the first Carleton County Hospital three years previously, purchased this house from John Fisher, one of the owners . . . — Map (db m139198) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Flemming House / La Maison Flemming126 Chapel Street / 126, rue Chapel
English: Built c1905 for R. Norman Loane, this four square Edwardian house was designed by the same architect who built St. James United Church. Two provincial premiers have lived in this house: J. K. Flemming (premier from 1911 to . . . — Map (db m139195) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — George Connell House/Maison George Connell124 Connell Street / 124, rue Connell
Built circa 1868 this house is considered to be the best example of High Victorian architecture in Woodstock. The house was built on land that was originally part of the grounds of the Honourable Charles Connell House. It is possible that . . . — Map (db m139106) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hon. Charles Connell House/La maison Charles Connell128 Connell Street/128, rue Connell
Built in 1839 for Hon. Charles Connell. It represents the peak of classicism in Woodstock architecture. It is Greek Revival, its essence being the Greek Temple look. Wood is used here to imitate stone. Purchased by the Carleton County . . . — Map (db m139176) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean127 Chapel Street / 127, rue Chapel
English: This dwelling is a reminder of an era when small towns produced more of their own food. Built by local carpenter James McLean for his family in 1890, the lot included a barn where they kept the cows which supported a . . . — Map (db m139577) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Methodist Parsonage / Presbytère méthodiste132 Chapel Street / 132, rue Chapel
English: Built for the Hon. Charles Connell about 1855, this is probably the oldest surviving brick house in Woodstock. The mansard roof, which gives the house a Second Empire appearance, was added in 1880. The house may have . . . — Map (db m139193) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Wolverton House / Maison Wolverton123 Chapel Street / 123, rue Chapel
English: Built in 1889-1890 in the Classic Revival style for Mr. James Wolverton (1856-1917) and his wife Eva (Hovey) this was originally operated as a boarding house. At the time it was said to have one of the finest bathrooms in . . . — Map (db m139197) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Women's Institute Home / Maison de l'Institut féminin129 Chapel Street / 129, rue Chapel
English: The Women's Institute is a Canadian innovation, founded at the close of the 19th century as a discussion and action group for rural women. New Brunswick's WI was organized in 1911, at about the same time as Woodstock . . . — Map (db m139196) HM
New Brunswick (Kent County), Bouctouche — K.C. Irving1899-1992
English: This stone marks the site where K.C. Irving built his first service station in 1924 and where he sold Irving Primrose gasoline and Ford cars. Français: Cette pierre marque l’endroit où K.C. Irving a . . . — Map (db m139896) HM
New Brunswick (Kent County), Cocagne — Cocagne1767-2017
Français: À l'automne 1767, les familles Gueguen, Arseneau, Hébert et Bourg reçoivent les premières concessions de terres accordées à des Acadiens après le Grand Dérangement. En novembre, Cocagne devient la première communauté . . . — Map (db m139701) HM
New Brunswick (Kent County), Saint-Louis-de-Kent — Marcel-François Richard(1847-1915)
Français: Né à Saint-Louis-de-Kent et ordonné prêtre en 1870, Mgr Richard fut l'une des figures de proue de la renaissance acadienne. Il stimula la colonisation afin de centrer l'exode yeti les États-Unis, fonda des écoles, des . . . — Map (db m139702) HM
New Brunswick (Northumberland County), Blackville — Legend of the Dungarvon Whooper
In the early 19th century, a young cook named Ryan worked in a lumber camp near the Dungarvon River. One day the cook died, probably murdered by the camp boss, while the men were working in the woods. The men returned during a severe snow storm and . . . — Map (db m139798) HM
New Brunswick (Northumberland County), Blackville — Millstones
Henry Reid leased stone quarry sites in the area in the 1870s and 1880s. These unused millstones came from the quarry in Indiantown (now Quarryville). Another Reid stone quarry operated at Blackville during the same period. In addition to . . . — Map (db m139703) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — 1 Chipman Hill
English: Remarkable for the range of trompe l'œil effects and skillful execution, the wall and ceiling paintings inside this residence, part of a row of similar town houses, reflect the taste of the High Victorian era, . . . — Map (db m140107) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Fort La Tour / Le Fort La Tour
English: In 1631, Charles de Sainte-Étienne de La Tour built a fort here on ground traditionally used by First Nations people, for some 4000 years. The fort became one of the earliest centres of the French fur trade with the . . . — Map (db m139998) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Loyalist House / La Maison Loyaliste
English: This gracious building is a well-preserved example of the homes built by prosperous United Empire Loyalists and their descendants. Constructed before 1820 by the merchant David Merritt, this house was maintained with . . . — Map (db m139999) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — St. John's (stone) Church / L'Église St. John
English: Constructed in 1824-1825, St. John’s is one of the earliest Gothic Revival churches in Canada. Its name, the Stone Church, reflects the high quality of its regularly coursed masonry. The skillful treatment of its Gothic . . . — Map (db m140105) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Alexander "Boss" Gibson(1819-1913)
English: Lumber and railway baron and generous benefactor, Gibson was a pivotal figure in the economy of the Maritimes at a time of transformation and integration within the national economy. A leading entrepreneur in mid-to-late . . . — Map (db m139997) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Charles Fisher(1808-1880)
English: Born in Fredericton, Fisher practised law before entering politics. Excepting the period 1850-1854 he represented York as a member of the Legislature continuously from 1837 until his retirement in 1868. Entering the . . . — Map (db m139900) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Christ Church Cathedral / Cathédrale Christ Church
English: Christ Church Cathedral, begun in 1845, is one of the best and earliest examples of the Gothic Revival in Canada. Its stone walls, crossing tower and picturesque massing, echoing the internal parts of the church, were . . . — Map (db m139987) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — First Ministry of Health / Le Premier Ministère de la Santé
English: The Legislature of New Brunswick, recognizing the growing importance of health as a matter of public concern, established, in 1918, a department of government with specific and exclusive responsibilities in that field. . . . — Map (db m139899) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Fredericton City Hall / L'Hôtel de ville de Fredericton
English: Built in 1875-1876 to the design of architects McKean and Fairweather, this is the oldest municipal hall in Atlantic Canada still used for civic administration. Its imposing exterior and the many functions it has . . . — Map (db m139800) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton
English: This building is one of four remaining structures of the British establishment which housed the garrison at Fredericton from 1784 until the withdrawal of Imperial troops in 1869. Occupying the area between York and Regent . . . — Map (db m139996) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Legislative Assembly Block / Complexe de L'Assemblée Législative
English: The Legislative Assembly Building, built in the Second Empire style with Corinthian features in 1882, together with the Old Education Building (1816, second story 1869) and the Departmental Building (1888), form the seat . . . — Map (db m139856) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Lemuel Allan Wilmot1809-1878
English: Born in Sunbury County, educated at King’s College, and called to the bar in 1832, Wilmot entered politics as a reformer and represented York County in the Legislature (1835-51). A member of the Executive Council . . . — Map (db m139897) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Sir Howard Douglas1776-1861
English: Born in England, Douglas was Lieutenant-Governor and Commander in Chief of New Brunswick (1823-1831). He encouraged agriculture and fostered pioneer work in steam navigation and lighthouse construction. In 1828 he founded . . . — Map (db m139898) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — St. Paul's United Church
English: Built in 1886, St. Paul's is a fine example of High Victorian Gothic Revival architecture, fashionable in Canada during the second half of the 19th century. The style is marked by a bold and vigorous approach to design, . . . — Map (db m139980) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — The 104th Regiment / Le 104e Régiment
English: Six companies of this Fredericton-based regiment made a 700-mile, 52-day march to Quebec and Kingston between February and April 1813. The feat was accomplished in the face of hunger, cold and heavy snows, with remarkably . . . — Map (db m139995) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — York County Court House / Le Palais de Justice du Comté de York
English: Opened about 1858, this building is the earliest surviving New Brunswick court house constructed of brick. It represents the beginning of the trend toward the widespread use of brick and stone in public buildings in the . . . — Map (db m139799) HM
Nova Scotia (Antigonish County), Antigonish — St. James United Church
The congregation of St. James was founded in 1804. The present day church was built in 1862. Our ten original memorial windows were installed and dedicated in 1911. They use Christian symbolism to uplift the spirit. St. James has had three church . . . — Map (db m139424) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Glace Bay — Marconi Wireless Station / La Station de Communication Sans Fil de Marconi
English: Having demonstrated the feasibility of transatlantic wireless communication in 1901, Guglielmo Marconi established a permanent station on Cape Breton Island in 1902. When the original Table Head site proved too . . . — Map (db m139300) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Glace Bay — Transatlantic Wireless / T.S.F. Transatlantique / Radiotelegrafico Transatlantico
English: In 1901 Signor Guglielmo Marconi received the first transatlantic radio message at Signal Hill in St. John’s. On 15 December, 1902, he sent the first West to East message from a new station at Table Head to Poldhu, . . . — Map (db m139201) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — First Boy Scout Troop in North America
The first Boy Scout Troop in North America was formed in this village in 1908 by William Glover (1874-1949), a bookkeeper at the North Atlantic Colliery. He was master of the local Masonic Lodge and director of the St. Paul's Anglican Church Choir. . . . — Map (db m139294) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — L'industrie du Charbon au Canada / Canada's Coal Industry
Français: Deux mille pieds au sud-est de cet endroit se trouvent les vestiges de la première exploitation régulière d’une mine de charbon en Amérique, commencée par le Français en 1720. Cette industrie, modeste à son origine, est . . . — Map (db m139292) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — The First Coal Workings in North America
Commercial coal mining began in Port Morien in 1720 after a mine had been opened to supply The Fortress at Louisbourg. This was the first commercial coal mine in North America. After the English victory at Louisbourg in 1758, the mine remained in . . . — Map (db m139293) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Sydney — Joseph Frederick Wallet DesBarres1722-1824
English: A distinguished military engineer, of Huguenot descent, Desbarres served in the British Army in North America during the Seven Years’ War, and participated in the capture of Louisbourg in 1758 and of Quebec in 1759. From . . . — Map (db m140081) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Sydney — Sir John George Bourinot1837-1902
English: A native of Sydney, Bourinot was a journalist and legislative reporter in Halifax before joining the parliamentary staff at Ottawa in 1868. From 1880 to 1902 he served as Clerk of the House and was a recognized authority . . . — Map (db m140082) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Sydney — The Development of Whitney Pier / L'essor De Whitney Pier
English: In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, thousands of immigrants came to Cape Breton from Europe, the West Indies, the United States, and elsewhere to work in iron and steel production. Many settled in Whitney Pier, . . . — Map (db m139295) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Victoria Mines — Atlantic Bulwark / Le Rempart de L'Atlantique
English: During the Second World War the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force protected shipping on vital North Atlantic routes which were the lifeline of the Allies. Army units shared in the defence of the . . . — Map (db m140130) HM
Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — The Mary Crowley MonumentOur Heritage
The Mary Crowley monument is the first public monument in honour of a Canadian-born female. It was erected in 1870 following a unanimous vote of the Nova Scotia Legislature. "Mary E. Crowley lies beneath this sod, a victim to fraternal love, having . . . — Map (db m140763) HM
Nova Scotia (Cumberland County), Pugwash — Thinkers' Lodge
English: In 1957, at the height of the Cold War, the first Pugwash Conference on Science and World Affairs took place in this serene setting. Hosted by philanthropist Cyrus Eaton, top-level scientists from both sides of the Iron . . . — Map (db m140759) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough), Queensport — Queensport, Guysborough County
A Community linked to the Sea Queensport was a fishing village community long before the first European settlers arrived here in the 1700s. Each spring and summer, the aboriginal Mi’kmaq would gather to harvest fish, one of the most . . . — Map (db m140535) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso Soldiers Memorial
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War Canso Louis Dort, Vernon Earle, Roy Greencorn, Lee Martin Hart, Arthur S. Horton, James B. Keating, Percy J. Lumsden, James Arthur Manuel, . . . — Map (db m140441) WM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Harbour Traffic/Le traffic du port
Only a century ago the spars of many schooners filled this harbour. Vessels from Lunenburg and the "Boston States" entered to take on bait, ice and water before sailing to the banks offshore. Canso shipyards constructed smaller coastal . . . — Map (db m140521) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — In Memory of Tusker 914 En mémoire deJuly 13, 2006
On July 13, 2006 a Canadian Forces helicopter from 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron carrying seven crew members who were exercising rescue techniques with local Canadian Coast Guard auxiliary members crashed in Canso Harbour. . . . — Map (db m139669) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — The Canso Islands/ Les îles Canso
During the seventeenth century French fishermen came from Cape Breton, across Chedabucto Bay, to fish for cod in thirty foot shallops. Later, the New England colonists came in their schooners. They fished the Banks and dried their fish . . . — Map (db m140536) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — We Heard the News First/Nous étions les premiers à avoir les nouvelles
On May 23, 1881, the steamer Faraday landed a transatlantic telegraph cable at Dover Bay. The cable allowed the news of Europe to flash underneath the ocean for 2,531 nautical miles. The European news arrived in Canso and Hazel Hill . . . — Map (db m140501) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Welcome to Canso Harbour/Bienvenue au Port de Canso
This is a place where seafaring people found shelter from the harshness of the Northwest Atlantic. It is the most easterly point of mainland Nova Scotia, remote and exposed upon Chedabucto peninsula, yet close to the fishing banks so . . . — Map (db m140505) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Where Fishermen Meet/Lieu de rencontre des pêcheurs
Fishermen sailed to this coast before the earliest explorers. In the early 1600s French and Basque fishermen dropped handlines in the waters. By 1725 New Englanders were pulling in cod worth 150,000 pounds (New England currency) . . . — Map (db m140554) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — #5 Radar Unit R.C.A.F StationQueensport/Cole Harbour — 1942-1945 —
During this three year period approximately 180 officers and men operated, serviced, or otherwise gave support to a radar unit on this site. — Map (db m139278) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — We Will Remember/Nous Nous Souviendrons
Welcome to #5 Radar Unit. RCAF Queensport / Cole Harbour. Bienvenue à Ja Sieme unité de radar deP'ARC, située à Queensport / Cole Harbour. This base, along with ten others situated along the rocky shores of Nova Scotia, Was tasked with . . . — Map (db m139288) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Guysborough — GuysboroughThe Court House
The Court House was constructed in 1842-43. It was the third court house built in Guysborough, the original administrative centre of Sydney County from 1785-1827. Sydney County included present-day Guysborough and Antigonish Counties. Built in . . . — Map (db m139264) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Halfway Cove — The Voyage of Prince Henry SinclairThe Chronicles of Prince Henry Sinclair’s Voyage to the New World in 1398
The Voyage of Prince Henry Sinclair to the New World in 1398 On June 2, 1398 Henry Sinclair allegedly set foot in North America on the sandbar of Guysborough Harbour. His fleet consisted of 12 ships with between 200-300 men on board, a . . . — Map (db m139656)
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Port Felix — Welcome to Place Savalette
Welcome to Place Savalette This park has been developed to mark and explain the site of the historic 1607 meeting between Basque fisherman/entrepreneur, Captain Savalette and explorer/cartographer Samuel de Champlain on the shores . . . — Map (db m139825) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Queensport — Our Forefathers
Early European Settlers The first European settlers of Queensport -- then known as Crow Harbour – bore family names of Digdon, Lamb, Lindsay, Sherlock, and Smith. The latter two families established a large fishing enterprise in the . . . — Map (db m140674) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Folklore & Trivia
Folklore of Whitehead In April of about 1880, a brig sailed into Whitehead Harbour, claiming to be headed to Greenland whaling. Strangely, it had no name, and no one was allowed aboard or ashore. They stayed in harbor about a week. . . . — Map (db m140380) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Port Felix
Village of Port Felix/Molasses Harbour Early Acadians called Port Felix Molasses Harbour because of a keg of molasses washing up on shore. Many Acadian settlers arrived about 1797 after the fall of Louisbourg. Following the American . . . — Map (db m140390) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — The Canal
The Whitehead Canal is located between Whitehead Harbour and Witch Cove. Prior to its construction, fishermen had to haul their boats over a narrow beach between Whitehead and Molasses Harbour (now Port Felix) at a spot known as "The Haulover". . . . — Map (db m139515) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Whitehead
Early names of the community were Martingot and Tete Blanche. Lovell's 1871 Directory of Nova Scotia said "Whitehaven is a fishing settlement intended to be the terminus of the inter-colonial railway. The harbour is one of the finest on the . . . — Map (db m140352) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Yankee Cove
Many yards in Whitehead boast a lilac bush which originated from the lilac bushes in Yankee Cove Kayak/boating enthusiasts love the scenic voyage through "The Runs” via Yankee Cove & The Basin. 1760 – Seasonal fishermen began . . . — Map (db m140377) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — "Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade
The year is 1821. You are looking south in the Grand Parade towards Saint Paul's, the oldest Anglican church in Canada. Turn and face north: the fine building you see is not City Hall, but "old" Dalhousie College. In a long, often acrimonious, . . . — Map (db m139592) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Cast Iron Facade / Façade en Fonte
English: This building, erected in 1860, provides a rare and early example of a full cast iron facade in Canada. Used in construction since the 1770s, cast iron had become a popular decorative material by the mid-19th century . . . — Map (db m139596) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — D-Day/Jour J1944
D-Day and the Battle of Normandy 6 June-21 August 1944 After months of elaborate planning, the largest seaborne invasion in modern history commenced on 6 June 1944 (D-Day) to liberate northwestern Europe from German . . . — Map (db m139666) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Enos Collins1774-1871
English: An ambitious seaman from Liverpool, N.S., and sometime privateer, Enos Collins was reputed to be the richest man in British North America when he died. His fortune, amassed through shrewd investments in mercantile, . . . — Map (db m139664) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Gilbert Stuart Newton1794-1835
English: Born in Halifax, Newton had his first art lessons in Boston from his uncle Gilbert Stuart, painter of the George Washington portraits. Leaving for Europe in 1815 he settled in London and entered the Royal Academy Schools . . . — Map (db m139597) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Halifax and Castine / Halifax et Castine
English: In September, 1814, a British military and naval expedition from Halifax, under Lieutenant General Sir John Coape Sherbrooke and Rear Admiral Edward Griffith, occupied the portion of Maine between the Penobscot and St. . . . — Map (db m140379) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Halifax City Hall / Hôtel de ville d'Halifax
English: The Halifax City Hall, erected between 1887 and 1890, is the largest and one of the oldest municipal buildings in Nova Scotia. Designed by a local architect, Edward Elliot, its elegant facade features an attractive and . . . — Map (db m139509) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — John William Ritchie(1808-1890)
English: A gifted lawyer, legislator, and judge, this Father of Confederation helped pave the way for Nova Scotia's reluctant entry into the new Dominion. He was a member of this colony's legislature and served as solicitor . . . — Map (db m140961) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Lebanese Immigrants
This monument is a universal symbol of a proud, strong and globally united Lebanese community. The statue honours the early Lebanese settlers who, 130 years ago, established a presence in this country, sewing the bonds of loyalty, faith, . . . — Map (db m139674) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Ocean Terminals/le terminal ocean terminals
National Historic Civil Engineering Site Ocean Terminals 1912-1928 A tribute to the civil engineers and contractors who designed and built these ocean terminals Canadian Society for Civil Engineering June 1998 Site historique . . . — Map (db m139330) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Port of Halifax/Port de Halifax
English: The Port of Halifax is one of the world’s finest natural harbours. Ice-free year-round, its main channel depth of over 18 metres (60 feet) offers shippers some of the deepest and most navigable waters along the North American . . . — Map (db m140099) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Rotary Performance Platform & Lookoff/ Scéne et belvédère des clubs Rotary
In honour of the 100th Anniversary of Rotary International, Rotary Clubs of Halifax are pleased to join Waterfront Development Corporation limited in creating this performance platform and lookoff as a gift to the people of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m139326) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Samuel Cunard(1787-1865)
English: Samuel Cunard was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia on November 21, 1787. He was the eldest son of Abraham and Margaret Cunard, United Empire Loyalists who emigrated from Philadelphia (Germantown) to Nova Scotia in 1783. His . . . — Map (db m139200) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Sir Samuel Cunard1787-1865
English: Born in Halifax of Loyalist parentage, Cunard founded in the maritime provinces a commercial empire embracing banking, lumber, land, coal and, especially, shipping. Involved in transatlantic steam navigation from its early . . . — Map (db m139202) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — St. Paul’s Church / Église St. Pauls
English: Completed in 1750, St. Paul’s was the first church outside Great Britain to be designated as an Anglican cathedral. Between 1787 and 1864 it served as the cathedral church of the See of Nova Scotia. For 96 years St. . . . — Map (db m139686) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The Explosion Clock
The hands on the north clock face in the City Hall tower, opposite on Duke Street, are permanently fixed at 9:04:35 the exact moment of the wartime Halifax Explosion the morning of 6 December 1917. The clock face, a replica of the City Hall . . . — Map (db m139510) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The Grand Parade
This has been the central gathering place of our people since the founding of Halifax in 1749. Saint Paul’s Church was established by Royal Charter in our founding year, becoming the first church in the city and the oldest Protestant church in . . . — Map (db m139593) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The Halifax Court House / Le Palais de Justice D'Halifax
English: The Halifax Court House was designed in 1858 by the Toronto architectural firm of William Thomas and Sons and since its completion in 1863 has housed both county and provincial courts. The building’s importance is . . . — Map (db m139600) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — William Alexander Henry1816-1888
English: Born in Halifax and called to the bar in 1840, Henry represented Antigonish in the Nova Scotia Assembly as a Liberal (1841-57), and as a Conservative (1857-67). An ardent advocate of Confederation, he attended the . . . — Map (db m139598) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — William Henry Chase1852-1933
English: A native of Kings County, Chase made his fortune as a shipper of potatoes and apples, warehouse developer and speculator in Annapolis Valley fruits. Active in the Nova Scotia Fruit Grower’s Association, he initiated apple . . . — Map (db m141002) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — William Thomas1800-1860
English: The buildings on the north end of Granville Street were designed by the firm of William Thomas and Sons after a fire had razed the block in 1859. Erected in the Italianate Style for prosperous merchants, the structures . . . — Map (db m139599) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Women and the Second World War/Les femmes et la Seconde Guerre mondiale1939-1945
Women in Canada and Newfoundland significantly contributed to Allied victory. Whereas women were military nurses during the First World War, more than 50,000 were now serving in uniform as non-combatants in all three armed services . . . — Map (db m139663) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Belle Côte — Belle Côte War MemorialOur Heroic Dead
1914-1918 John F. Chiasson Dominique F. Doucet Thomas Doucet Gabriel A. LeBanc Joseph H. McDaniel Daniel J. McDaniel Alexander E. MacDougall J. Ronald MacLellan Neil K. MacNeil Albert B. Miller Stanley Munro Angus Ross . . . — Map (db m139815) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Cheticamp — Chéticamp War MemorialDieu et Patrie — For God and Country —
En mémoire des paroissiens de Chéticamp morts dans les deux guerres mondiales In memory of the parishioners of Chéticamp who died in the two World Wars 1914 - 1918 Hypolite H. AuCoin Hubert AuCoin William W. . . . — Map (db m139821) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Cheticamp — Jeanne Dugas
The life story of Jeanne Dugas illustrates the experiences of Acadíans in the second half of the 18th century. She and her family fled Ile Royale (Cape Breton Island) to escape the deportation of 1758, but were later captured by the . . . — Map (db m139618) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — Dés l'année suivante, en 1927 / The following year, in 1927
Français: Dés l'année suivante, en 1927, M. J. Macfarland engage M. A. Boudreau à temps plein comme directeur-adjoint des opérations à Chéticamp. M. Boudreau s'occupe particulièrement de la comptabilité de la compagnie, . . . — Map (db m139698) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — La Bouée du havre / The Harbour Bouy
Français: Cette bouée ancrée dans le havre de Chéticamp permettait aux grands transatlantiques de tourner sur eux-mêmes. Elle avait été entièrement attachée avec des rivets chauds. Elle servit de 1928 à 1946. . . . — Map (db m139797) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — La fin d'un rêve / The End of a Dream
Français: La guerre met cependant fin aux opérations quand l'Angleterre réquisitionne les bateaux pour le ravitaillement des troupes. La dernière cargaison pour l'Angleterre fut déchargée en mer pour permettre au bateau de se . . . — Map (db m139734) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — M. Joseph Macfarland / Mr. Joseph MacFarland1923-1947
Français: Après plusieurs vaines tentatives de ressusciter l'entreprise, ce n'est qu'en 1926 que l'Atlantic Gypsum Company de Boston achète toutes les installations et engage M. Joseph MacFarland pour relancer l'exploitation de la . . . — Map (db m139697) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Cabot TrailSt. Pierre’s Church and Father Fiset/L'église Saint-Pierre et le Pere Fiset
Built in 1893, St-Pierre's Church majestically watches over the Acadian community of Chéticamp. An imposing 212 feet long, 74 feet wide and with a steeple rising to 167 feet, St-Pierre's lavish Baroque interior and original . . . — Map (db m139872) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre
Father Pierre Fiset, Chéticamp parish priest, is generally recognized as being responsible for starting the gypsum mine in Chéticamp in 1907. When news broke that a prospector named Grandin had found gypsum in Chéticamp, Father Fiset . . . — Map (db m139335) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — Tunnel et Quai de la mine / Tunnel and Mine Wharf
Français: On creuse un tunnel de l'entrepôt jusqu'à la mer, passant sous le chemin ; on construit un long quai recouvert dans lequel on achemine le gypse par convoyeur. Tous les travaux sont terminés en 1929, et au mois de juin de . . . — Map (db m139696) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — Voie ferrée et « Lu vieille Louise » / The railroad and "La Vieille Louise"1910-1914
Français: Les affaires vont bien, on décide d'agrandir. Après le décès du Père Fiset, on emprunte 100,000$ pour construire une voie ferrée entre la carrière et le quai des Fiset. On achète une locomotive à vapeur avec dix wagons . . . — Map (db m139695) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Petit Etang — Canada War Memorial
They will never know the beauty of this place see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus, all we enjoy we owe to them, men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the Seven Seas dedicated to the memory of Canadians who . . . — Map (db m139476) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Pleasant Bay — The Lone Shieling
From the lone shieling of the misty island, mountains divide us, and the waste of seas – yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, and we in dreams behold the Hebrides. This shieling was erected in accordance with the terms of . . . — Map (db m139857) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Canso Causeway"Air Lorg Nan Eilean," The Road to the Isles
Making a Living in the Strait of Canso Area since 1784. Transportation and Communication Early Years: Stage Coach Lines, Ferries, Mail Service Link, Telegraph Offices, American Consular Offices, Railroads, Boston Boats and Coastal . . . — Map (db m139296) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Construction of the Canso Canal / Construction du Canal de Canso
English: Work began on a causeway and canal complex between Cape Breton Island and mainland Nova Scotia in 1953 under a tri-party agreement between the federal Department of Transport, the Nova Scotia Department of Highways and . . . — Map (db m139301) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — History of the Canso Canal / Historique du Canal de Canso
English: The Strait of Canso separates Cape Breton Island from the mainland of Nova Scotia. The Mi'kmaq were the original settlers in the area until the 1780's, when other settlements were established on both shores. Historically, . . . — Map (db m139299) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Operation of the Canso Canal / Exploitation du Canal
English: A canal is a manmade waterway connecting two bodies of water. When one body of water is higher than the other, the canal uses a lock, in this case, a tidal lock consisting of two sets of gates, to compensate for the . . . — Map (db m139302) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — The Building of the Canso Causeway / La Construction de la Levée de Canso
English: The foundation of this massive stone structure rests 66 metres below the Strait of Canso, creating the world’s deepest causeway. More than 9 million tonnes of rock fill were dumped into the strait between 1952 and 1955 . . . — Map (db m139303) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Saint Joseph du Moine — Founders of the Parish of St-Joseph du MoineFondateurs de la Paroisse de St-Joseph du Moine
English: This monumentErected in memory of the 93 families who founded the parish of Saint Joseph du Moine. Was blessed by Reverend Charles Omer Cormier, and unveiled by Mr. and Mrs. Pat J. AuCoin on July 28, 1979 during the . . . — Map (db m140308) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), St. Joseph du Moine — St. Joseph du Moine War Memorial
En memoire des défunts combattants des dux guerres mondiales In memory of the fallen soldiers of the two World Wars 1914 - 1918 Arsene F. Cormier Daniel S. Leblanc Jean D. Doucet Elie P. Poirier Jean S. . . . — Map (db m139818) WM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Memorial Church/L'église-souvenir
L'église-souvenir Un témoignage durable L'église-souvenir représente l'attachement profond du peuple acadien au lieu historique national du Canada de Grand-Pré. Construite en 1922 grâce à des fonds recueillis . . . — Map (db m140428) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — The Attack at Grand Pré/La bataille Grand Pré
On February 11, 1747 Grand Pré was the scene of a surprise attack on Col. Arthur Noble's detachment of British troops from Massachusetts who were billeted in the houses of the inhabitants. A French and Indian force under Coulon de . . . — Map (db m140191) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — The Landscape of Grand Pré/Le Paysage de Grand-PréHow the Battle Unfolded/Le déroulement de la bataille
How the Battle Unfolded During the first half of the 18th century, France and Great Britain were at war for imperial domination of North America. Most Acadians, including those at Grand Pré, wanted to stay out of the conflict and be . . . — Map (db m140430) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — Democracy and the New England Planters/La démocratie et les Planters de la Nouvelle-Angleterre
To entice the Planters to settle in Nova Scotia, the British colonial administration introduced an elected legislature in 1758, a form of representative government they had long known in New England. In the decades after their settlement . . . — Map (db m140209) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — New England Planters/Les planters de la Nouvelle-Angeleterre
In 1759, New England farmers and fishermen sent agents to Halifax to discuss with Governor Lawrence the settlement of the undeveloped areas of the province. Substantial immigration began in 1760 and, by late 1763, several thousand . . . — Map (db m140207) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — The Arrival of the New England Planters/L'arrivée des Planters de la Nouvelle-Angleterre
In the 1760’s, this spot was one of many to witness an influx of settlers from New England. The Planters called this region Horton Landing, a name it retains to this day. Within the Minas area, the newcomers established four agricultural . . . — Map (db m140222) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — The Tragedy of the Deportation/La tragédie de la Déportation
In 1755, the worldwide struggle for empire between Great Britain and France had tragic consequences for the Acadians of Les Mines and elsewhere in Nova Scotia/Acadie Lt-Col. John Winslow was the Massachusetts officer in charge of the . . . — Map (db m140393) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — George Frederick Cameron1854-1885
English: Born and educated in New Glasgow, Cameron, having graduated from the Boston Law School, practiced law in the United States before joining Queen’s University in 1882. The following year he became editor of the Kingston . . . — Map (db m139298) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — The Beginning of New Glasgow
was in August 1784 with the arrival from Kirkhill, Inverness-shire, Scotland, of Thomas Fraser (Deacon) 1749 — 1813 who took possession of this land and created from the forest a farm home, the first in that part of the East River Lower . . . — Map (db m139297) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), Stellarton — The General Mining Association (GMA)La General Mining Association (GMA)
English: This British firm established coal mining as a major industry in Nova Scotia. Granted a monopoly of provincial mineral rights in 1826, the GMA developed coal operations here at Albion Mines and at Sydney Mines, and . . . — Map (db m140077) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), Baddeck — Canada's Hundred Days and Armistice 1918Les cent jours du Canada et l'armistice de 1918 — The Road to Peace / Vers la paix —
English: In the summer and fall of 1918, the valiant Canadian Corps, 100,000 strong, spearheaded a series of costly allied victories, now known as "Canada's Hundred Days" that led to the Armistice. During the First World War, more . . . — Map (db m139694) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), Baddeck — First Flight by a British Subject in the British EmpireLe premier vol effectué dans l'Empire britannique par un sujet britannique — 1909-1959 —
English:In honor of the Aerial Experiment Association consisting of Alexander Graham Bell F. W. Baldwin Glenn H. Curtiss J. A. D. McCurdy Thomas E. Selfridge and of the Silver Dart which they designed and built . . . — Map (db m139879) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), Baddeck — Women, the War Effort and Winning the Right to VoteLes femmes, l'effort de guerre et l'obtention du droit de vote
English: Women in Canada and Newfoundland were profoundly affected by the First World War. Overseas, they served as paid nurses and volunteers. On the home front, they laboured in factories, worked the land, ran patriotic . . . — Map (db m139699) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), Ingonish — Ingonish War Memorial
1st War - Veterans - 2nd War Killed in Action 1914 - 1918 Thompson Brewer George Donavan Charles MacDonald Killed in Action 1939 - 1945 Murdoch J. Ross Joseph Doucette Daniel Smith Bert Nicks An additional 83 veterans . . . — Map (db m139871) WM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), Neil's Harbour — Neil's HarbourThe Cabot Trail
English: With its close proximity to abundant fishing grounds, sheltered cove and excellent fish-drying conditions, Neil's Harbour was a popular fishing base for both French and Scottish settlers in the 1700's. Neil MacLennan, . . . — Map (db m139870) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), South Harbour — South Harbour War Memorial
In grateful memory of the men who gave their lives in two World Wars 1939-1945 E.J. Cameron D.C. MacDonald T. J. MacDonald R. N. MacInnes H. J. MacLennan C. MacLennan E. MacLennan N. MacLennan J. A. MacNeil 1914-1918 M. . . . — Map (db m139337) WM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — Early Land Survey in Ontario / Premiers Travaux D'Arpentage en Ontario
English: In September 1783, Deputy Surveyor-General John Collins was despatched to Cataraqui by Governor Haldimand to lay out townships for loyalist settlers. The necessary land was purchased from Mississauga Indians, and on 27 . . . — Map (db m140199) HM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — Frontenac County Court House / Palais de Justice du Comté de Frontenac
English: This grand Neo-classical building has served the courts of Frontenac County since its opening in 1858. Designed by the Dorset-born architect, Edward Horsey, it is superbly sited on land originally acquired in 1840 for a . . . — Map (db m140193) HM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — Kingston Custom House / Bâtiment des Douanes de Kingston
English: Designed by the Montréal architectural firm of Hopkins, Lawford and Nelson, the Kingston Custom House was built in 1856-59 for the government of the united Canadas. The symmetrical composition of the two-storey ashlar . . . — Map (db m140194) HM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — Kingston Post Office / Bureau de Poste de Kingston
English: In 1856-59 the government of the united Canadas erected the Kingston Post Office. Designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Hopkins, Lawford and Nelson, this limestone building shows the influence of the British . . . — Map (db m140197) HM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — Sir John Alexander Macdonald(1815-1891)
English: This Kingston lawyer was the chief architect of Confederation, which led to the creation of the Dominion of Canada on July 1st, 1867. He was Canada's first Prime Minister and led the country for almost 19 years. The . . . — Map (db m140200) HM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — The First Meeting of the Executive Council of Upper CanadaLa Première Réunion du Conseil Exécutif du Haut-Canada
English: Because of the Loyalist influx into the western part of Quebec after the American Revolution, the province was divided into Upper and Lower Canada (now Ontario and Quebec). The Constitutional Act of 1791 provided for . . . — Map (db m140198) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — Château Laurier / Le Château Laurier
English: Designed by the architectural firm of Ross and MacFarlane this hotel was built between 1908 and 1912 and enlarged in the 1920s. It was the first in a chain of Château style hotels constructed by the Grand Trunk Railway . . . — Map (db m140226) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — Connaught Building / L’Édifice Connaught
English: Part of a grand design for the national capital in the early 20th century, this imposing building is a tangible expression of Prime Minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier’s vision for Ottawa. The eclectic combination of Gothic and . . . — Map (db m140195) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — John Macoun(1831-1920)
English: This field naturalist and botanist was the first to survey, document, and categorize Canadian flora in a systematic manner. After Confederation, he travelled west for the Canadian Pacific Railway with surveying parties . . . — Map (db m139504) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica / Basilique cathédrale Notre-Dame
English: First planned as a parish church in 1839, Notre-Dame was transformed as it achieved the status of cathedral for the new Catholic Diocese of Bytown in 1847, mother church of the Archdiocese of Ottawa, and basilica in 1879. . . . — Map (db m140471) HM
Ontario, Ottawa — Veterans Charter / La Charte des Anciens Combattants
English: A programme of innovative social legislation, known collectively as the Veterans Charter, provided an unprecedented level of benefits to those who served in the Second World War. Advanced by the Canadian government, the . . . — Map (db m140225) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — American Withdrawal
After this fierce and bloody battle, General Brown ordered the American withdrawal southward. The American forces were not expelled from the position they won, but retired voluntarily. The British regained possession of the battlefield, but were in . . . — Map (db m139920) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Americans Withdraw
Around midnight, with both sides completely exhausted, the Americans withdrew to their camp at Chippawa. They left the British guns behind, allowing Drummond to reclaim them the following morning. “At the Falls of the Niagara we met the . . . — Map (db m139936) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Battle Ground Hotel
Adam Fralick, a descendent of a United Empire Loyalist family, watched as the tourist industry grew around the War of 1812 battlefield at Lundy’s Lane. In 1836, he purchased this property and built the Battle Ground Hotel. Later, in 1850, Fralick . . . — Map (db m139940) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Battle Stages
The Battle of Lundy’s Lane was a turning Point in the War of 1812-14. While British reinforcements began arriving in North America following the defeat of Napoleon in Europe, the Americans were pushing to gain control of the Niagara Peninsula with . . . — Map (db m139921) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Battlefield Tourism
Following the close of the War of 1812, because both sides claimed victory here, the battlefield became a popular tourist destination. For many decades, veterans of the battle were available to conduct personal tours. In 1845, the first of five . . . — Map (db m139943) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Bicentennial of the Battle of Lundy’s Lane
. . . — Map (db m139913) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — British Retreat
Following the capture of his artillery by the Americans, Lt. General Drummond and his troops retreated from their defensive position on the height of land in the cemetery to this area on the north side of the hill. Starting before 10 p.m. and . . . — Map (db m139914) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Burr Lockhart Plato1833 - 1905
Born into slavery in Logan County in what is now West Virginia U.S.A., Plato and several friends used the Underground Railroad to reach Canada in 1856, settling in Niagara Falls. He became a popular and respected businessman, as well as an active . . . — Map (db m139961) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Cecil Bishopp
In memory of Lt. Col. Cecil Bishopp who died of wounds received during the raid on Black Rock, New York, July 11, 1813 during the War of 1812. He was buried in this cemetery on July 17, 1813. In 1846 Bishopp’s two sisters erected this memorial in . . . — Map (db m139969) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Churches Atop of Drummond Hill
As early as 1795, a small log church, used by a number of denominations, was on top of this hill. Destroyed during the Battle of Lundy’s Lane on July 25, 1814, it was not replaced until 1819 when a combination church and schoolhouse was constructed . . . — Map (db m139955) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Drummond Hill Cemetery
Drummond Hill Presbyterian Church Present during the Battle of Lundy’s Lane, a former church once sat at the north east end of the cemetery. Built in 1887 by A.J. Lowell, the current church was then modernized in 1961. Captain Abraham Hull & . . . — Map (db m139932) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Facing the American Attack
In the centre the repeated and determined attacks of the enemy were met by the 89th Regiment, the detachments of the Royals and King’s and the Light Company of the 41st, with the most perfect steadiness and intrepid gallantry, and the . . . — Map (db m139922) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — I’ll Try, Sir
On the evening of July 25, 1814, Col. James Miller, commander of the 21st US Infantry Regiment, was asked if his regiment could silence the seven British guns that had been holding the attacking American Army at bay for several hours. Miller replied . . . — Map (db m139956) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — Lundy’s Lane Battlefield Gateway
Lundy’s Lane Battlefield Gateway Commemorated on July 25th, 2014 on the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Lundy’s Lane (1814 – 2014) The City of Niagara Falls acknowledges the generous contribution made by the following partners Government . . . — Map (db m139945) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Aftermath of Battle
British and American forces suffered heavy losses at the Battle of Lundy’s Lane on July 25, 1814 and these were severe in proportion to the number of combatants. The casualty rates were nearly equal, as each side recorded around 800 casualties, . . . — Map (db m139918) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Americans Attack
Scott’s brigade approached from the south along the Portage Road. Shortly after 7pm on July 25, 1814, they emerged from the woods that covered the area south of this cemetery along present day Barker Street. Ahead, they saw the height of land at . . . — Map (db m139926) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Americans Capture the British Guns
The Americans surged forward, attempting to take the British position. This and repeated attempts failed and they endured heavy losses. Later, under cover of darkness, the American 21st Infantry made its way up the southeast slope of the hill. In a . . . — Map (db m139931) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The Battle of Lundy’s LaneWar of 1812
The Battle of Lundy’s Lane was a turning point in the War of 1812-14. While British Reinforcements began arriving in North America following the defeat of Napoleon in Europe, the Americans were pushing to gain control of the Niagara Peninsula. In . . . — Map (db m139907) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — The British DefenseThe Battle of Lundy’s Lane
In the early evening of July 25th, 1814, the British commander, Lt. General Drummond stood on this hilltop. Having just received intelligence that an American force was marching northward in this direction along the Portage Road, he realized that . . . — Map (db m139912) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara Falls — War of 1812
The Napoleonic Wars raged in Europe from 1803 to 1815 and had a global impact. Wishing to remain neutral and assert its independence, the United States continued to trade with both Britain and France. Nevertheless, diplomatic relations between the . . . — Map (db m139911) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — A Strategic Site
The Niagara River was extremely important from a strategic perspective. It was part of the St. Lawrence – Great Lakes system, one of the main transportation routes on either side of the border. Those who controlled the waterways would . . . — Map (db m140087) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Bicentennial of First Parliament
This plaque, erected by the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, commemorates the Bicentennial of the first Parliament of Upper Canada held at Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) near this site on September 17th, 1792, which marked the beginning of . . . — Map (db m140020) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — First Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada
The first session of the Legislative Assembly held at Newark (Niagara-on-the-Lake) from 17 September to 15 October 1792, introduced a limited form of representative government to the newly created colony of Upper Canada. The elected assembly formed . . . — Map (db m140021) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Fort Niagara
Only 1200 metres across the Niagara River is the imposing American stronghold, Fort Niagara. Originally built by the French, then occupied by the British, and finally the Americans, this fort for nearly 150 years stood guard over the traditional . . . — Map (db m140089) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — John Graves SimcoeThe first Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada
With the generous support of the Ministry of Canadian Heritage, the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Heritage Fund and the Henry N.R. Jackson Foundation. Sculptor Roy Charles Asplin Unveiled July 1999 — Map (db m140011) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Agricultural Society1792 - 1805
The first organization devoted to the improvement of agriculture in Ontario was founded at Niagara. Its original name, the Agricultural Society of Upper Canada, reflected Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe’s hope that it would become a . . . — Map (db m139985) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Niagara Historical Society1895 - 1995
On December 12th, 1895, a group of dedicated persons founded the Niagara Historical Society. This tree was planted in 1995 to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Society. — Map (db m140025) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Polish Soldier’s Burial Plot1917 – 1919
This burial plot commemorates the Polish soldiers who trained in this community from 1917 – 1919 at Camp Kosciuszko and subsequently made the supreme sacrifice – They personified the Polish soldiers’ motto: “For Your Freedom and . . . — Map (db m140019) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — St. Mark’s Church
One of the earliest Anglican churches in the province, St. Mark’s was begun in 1804 to serve a congregation organized twelve years earlier. Its first rector, the Reverend Robert Addison, chaplain of Upper Canada’s first Legislative Assembly, . . . — Map (db m139894) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The Battle of Fort George
In May of 1813, combined artillery fire from Fort Niagara and detached batteries destroyed Fort George paving the way for invasion. On May 27th, a large American force defeated a much smaller number of British regulars, militia and First Nations . . . — Map (db m140092) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — The First Provincial Parliament   1792
On September 17, 1792, Colonel John Graves Simcoe, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, opened in this community, then the capital, the first provincial parliament. The legislature consisted of an appointed Legislative Council and an elected . . . — Map (db m139893) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Town of Niagara
Known at various times as Butlersburg, West Niagara and Newark, its first permanent settlers, including Butler’s Rangers and other Loyalists, arrived about 1780. The first five sessions of Upper Canada’s legislature met here under . . . — Map (db m139988) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Township of Niagara War Memorial
This monument was erected in memory of the men of Niagara Township who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the Great War 1914 – 1918 And in World War II 1939 – 1945 Whose names are here recorded and in honour of those who . . . — Map (db m140123) WM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Niagara-on-the-Lake — Upper Canada Gazette, or American OracleThursday, April 18, 1793
Ontario’s first newspaper, Upper Canada Gazette, or American Oracle was published in Niagara-on-the-Lake by Louis Roy, King’s Printer to John Graves Simcoe, founding Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada. The first edition of four pages . . . — Map (db m140013) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Queenston United Church of Canadaformerly The Old Historic Methodist Church — 1786 – 1997 —
A devout Wesleyan Methodist and a Major in the British Army throughout the War of Independence, George Neal left the United States in pursuit of religious freedom and civil security. Landing in Queenston in 1786, Major Neal determined to spread the . . . — Map (db m139905) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Roy TerraceBirthplace of the Falls
Roy Terrace here and Eldridge Terrace, the niche visible on the U.S. side at the same height, mark the level of glacial Lake Iroquois (Lake Ontario). When the Wisconsin glacier receded about 12,000 years ago, the Falls of Niagara were born here, . . . — Map (db m139994) HM
Ontario (Regional Municipality of Niagara), Queenston — Sir Isaac Brock(1769 – 1812)
This British officer, “the hero of Upper Canada,” led the successful defense of the province early in the War of 1812. Appointed commander of military forces in 1810, he organized the militia and prepared the colony for possible war with . . . — Map (db m140079) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — United Empire Loyalists
English: The United Empire Loyalists played a prominent role in the development of this country. In particular, the officers and men of the Royal Highland Emigrants, the King's Royal Regiment of New York, the Loyal Rangers and the . . . — Map (db m139503) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Elmira — The Original Fog Alarm BuildingLe « Fog Alarm Building »
English: The original fog alarm building was added to the East Point Light Station in 1885 as a navigational aid. It was replaced in 1908 with a larger building at a cost of $8000.00, and remains one of the few intact fog alarm . . . — Map (db m140620) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Havre Saint Pierre
Established in 1720, Havre Saint Pierre was once the largest settlement in the colony of Isle Saint Jean. On a summer day in the 1730s this was a busy place. Here - a fleet of tiny shallops, sails snapping as they set out for the . . . — Map (db m139397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Mussel Power/Les moules plus d'une utilité
The bottom of the bay is like a giant compost bin. Seaweed and shellfish collect here when they die, and form a thick, black mud. The decomposing shells create high lime content, making "mussel mud” a perfect fertilizer for the . . . — Map (db m139444) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — St. Peters
Early British settlers were more interested in farming than in fishing. By the early 1800s, a small village began to grow farther inland. Here the bay was narrow and easily crossed - first by ferry, later by bridge. St. Peters . . . — Map (db m139407) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — Murray Harbour War Memorial
In grateful tribute to the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice have made Canada great is this shrine dedicated Killed in action or died in service War of 1914-1918 Gordon Mackay Clarence Reynolds . . . — Map (db m139450) WM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — The “Harbour” / Le « Harbour »
English: Murray Harbour began to achieve status as an important PEI port in the late 1700s. The earliest settlers in the area sustained themselves by fishing and farming but John Cambridge, the proprietor of Lot 64, was actively . . . — Map (db m140239) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Kensington — Kensington Station / Gare de Kensington
English: In 1871 the Colony of Prince Edward Island embarked upon the construction of a circuitous 147-mile railway covering the 120-mile distance between Georgetown and Alberton. The high cost of building the line added . . . — Map (db m139700) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Les Dix Conventions Nationales AcadiennesThe Ten Acadian National Conventions
Français: De 1881 à 1937, les conventions ont favorisé l’éveil du sentiment national et l’affirmation du peuple acadien. Organisées par la Société nationale de l'Assomption, elles ont joué un rôle important dans la sauvegarde du . . . — Map (db m140000) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Former Summerside Post Office / L'Ancien Bureau de Poste de Summerside
English: This structure, built 1883-1886, was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller who served as Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works from 1881 to 1896. This basic design with a double entrance, steep roof, . . . — Map (db m139466) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Georgina Fane Pope1862-1938
English: Born in Charlottetown, Georgina Pope chose nursing as a career. After training and working in the United States, she was selected in 1899 to superintend Canada’s military nurses in the South African War. She was the first . . . — Map (db m139478) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Salute to the Prince Edward Island Railway
The Prince Edward Island Railway began operating in 1875. Its establishment was accomplished largely through the efforts of two Summerside brothers, James Colledge Pope, who was Premier when the Railway Bill was passed in 1871, and William Henry . . . — Map (db m141019) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — The Railway Station
The Prince Edward Island Railway was established in 1871. By 1874 there were 70 stations across the Island, including an open-ended "Terminal" Station about a mile north of the Summerside harbour. A track ran down to the waterfront where the . . . — Map (db m141017) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — The Summerside Armoury
The Summerside Armoury has been a landmark on Summer Street since 1911. An Armoury is a military structure where arms, ammunition and military equipment are stored. It serves as the headquarters for a militia, a volunteer army made up of local . . . — Map (db m139479) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — A Lighthouse is Born / La Naissance du Phare
English: Despite its initial success, the Prince Edward Island Steam Navigation Company and its vessel, the St. George, ran into difficulties. Even with investments from New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, steamboats were . . . — Map (db m140249) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — Point Prim Lighthouse / Le Phare de Point PrimA Lighthouse to Call Our Own / Un Phare Bien à Nous
English: Prince Edward Island's contribution to Nova Scotia's lighthouses inspired the question: What about building a lighthouse here? Petitions for lighthouses began to appear before government by the late 1830s. Concerned . . . — Map (db m140246) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — Reliable Communication / Des Communications FiablesSamuel Cunard, Mail Delivery / Samuel Cunard, la Livraison de la Poste — Prince Edward Island Steam Navigation Company —
English: At the same time that the Island was grappling with the issue of lighthouses, it found itself dealing with an issue of a different sort: Mail delivery. Mail delivery was very important, representing the Island's . . . — Map (db m140247) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — The 1864 Charlottetown Conference / La Conférence de Charlottetown de 1864Lighting the Way / Un Feu qui Nous Guide
English: Late in the summer of 1864, two events descended upon the city of Charlottetown. One was a circus; the other, a political conference. Of the two, it was the circus that captured the attention of Islanders. But it was the . . . — Map (db m140250) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Belfast — The Early Years / Les Premières Années
English: Imagine being aboard a ship on a dark, stormy night. The wind is howling fiercely, pushing large waves over the sides of your vessel. You are at the mercy of the elements. Picture a lack of navigational aids, creating a . . . — Map (db m140245) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Canoe Cove — Canoe Cove School
The School For more than a century the Canoe Cove School provided state-of-the-art education to students grades one through ten. This sturdy heritage building launched the successful careers of doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, . . . — Map (db m139457) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsHistory of the Cavendish Area/Histoire de la région de Cavendish.
History of the Cavendish Area. There is archaeological evidence that ancestors of the present-day Mi’kmaq lived on the shores of nearby New London Bay. It is very likely these early Islanders would have travelled here to hunt, . . . — Map (db m139369) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsWreck of the Marco Polo/L'épave du Marco Polo
25 July, 1883. Thanks to a weekend of violent storms there is a heavy sea running. A few farmers watch with astonishment as a magnificent sailing vessel, driven by a mountain of canvas, slams onto the Cavendish sandbars. The air iš alive . . . — Map (db m139391) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsSea Stories/Légendes de la mer
Sea Stories From the first peoples through modern times, the fishery has been vital to the people living along this shore. As Lucy Maud Montgomery remembered: Many of the farmers had a fishing house on the shore field of their . . . — Map (db m139429) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsCavendish and Tourism/Cavendish et le tourisme
Toward the end of the 1800s, Prince Edward Island became known as an excellent vacation spot. Its clean air, rural landscapes and beautiful beaches were offered to travellers made weary by the stress of urban life. By the 1920s, thanks . . . — Map (db m139431) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — A BIG Year / Une année CRUCIALE
English: 1864 was an important year in Charlottetown. The Charlottetown Conference, held in September, gave delegates from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and the colony of Canada one week to meet, share ideas, . . . — Map (db m141114) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Charlottetown — Andrew's Millpond
In 1786 John Cambridge purchased approximately 300 acres along Wright's Creek, which was then called Bird Island Creek. Around 1800 he built a 22 foot-high mill dam at the head of tide on the creek, and went on to build a saw mill, grist mill and . . . — Map (db m140303) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), North Rustico — North Rustico War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served their country in World War 1, World War II, and the Korean War and in grateful tribute to those who made the supreme sacrifice. W.W. II W.O. II Fredrick L. Bulman Pte. . . . — Map (db m139243) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Port-la-Joye – Fort Amherst
English: From 1720 to 1768 this site was an important colonial base, first for France and later Great Britain. One of the first permanent French settlements on the island, Port-la-Joye served as the seat of colonial government for . . . — Map (db m139447) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Survey of Prince Edward Island / Arpentage de Ľîle-du-Prince-Édouard
English: In 1764 the British government decided to undertake a systematic survey of its North American territory, recently enlarged in the war with France. For this purpose Captain Samuel Holland was put in charge of the northern . . . — Map (db m139436) HM

1862 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1662
Paid Advertisement