Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

326 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 126
 
McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean<br>(<i>marker visible near right edge</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2019
McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean
(marker visible near right edge)
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean127 Chapel Street / 127, rue Chapel
English: This dwelling is a reminder of an era when small towns produced more of their own food. Built by local carpenter James McLean for his family in 1890, the lot included a barn where they kept the cows which supported a . . . — Map (db m139577) HM
Nova Scotia (Antigonish County), Antigonish — St. James United Church
The congregation of St. James was founded in 1804. The present day church was built in 1862. Our ten original memorial windows were installed and dedicated in 1911. They use Christian symbolism to uplift the spirit. St. James has had three church . . . — Map (db m139424) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — First Boy Scout Troop in North America
The first Boy Scout Troop in North America was formed in this village in 1908 by William Glover (1874-1949), a bookkeeper at the North Atlantic Colliery. He was master of the local Masonic Lodge and director of the St. Paul's Anglican Church Choir. . . . — Map (db m139294) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — L'industrie du Charbon au Canada / Canada's Coal Industry
Français: Deux mille pieds au sud-est de cet endroit se trouvent les vestiges de la première exploitation régulière d’une mine de charbon en Amérique, commencée par le Français en 1720. Cette industrie, modeste à son origine, est . . . — Map (db m139292) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — The First Coal Workings in North America
Commercial coal mining began in Port Morien in 1720 after a mine had been opened to supply The Fortress at Louisbourg. This was the first commercial coal mine in North America. After the English victory at Louisbourg in 1758, the mine remained in . . . — Map (db m139293) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Sydney — The Development of Whitney Pier / L'essor De Whitney Pier
English: In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, thousands of immigrants came to Cape Breton from Europe, the West Indies, the United States, and elsewhere to work in iron and steel production. Many settled in Whitney Pier, . . . — Map (db m139295) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — We Will Remember/Nous Nous Souviendrons
Welcome to #5 Radar Unit. RCAF Queensport / Cole Harbour. Bienvenue à Ja Sieme unité de radar deP'ARC, située à Queensport / Cole Harbour. This base, along with ten others situated along the rocky shores of Nova Scotia, Was tasked with . . . — Map (db m139288) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Guysborough — GuysboroughThe Court House
The Court House was constructed in 1842-43. It was the third court house built in Guysborough, the original administrative centre of Sydney County from 1785-1827. Sydney County included present-day Guysborough and Antigonish Counties. Built in . . . — Map (db m139264) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — The Canal
The Whitehead Canal is located between Whitehead Harbour and Witch Cove. Prior to its construction, fishermen had to haul their boats over a narrow beach between Whitehead and Molasses Harbour (now Port Felix) at a spot known as "The Haulover". . . . — Map (db m139515) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Rotary Performance Platform & Lookoff/ Scéne et belvédère des clubs Rotary
In honour of the 100th Anniversary of Rotary International, Rotary Clubs of Halifax are pleased to join Waterfront Development Corporation limited in creating this performance platform and lookoff as a gift to the people of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m139326) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Cheticamp — Jeanne Dugas
The life story of Jeanne Dugas illustrates the experiences of Acadíans in the second half of the 18th century. She and her family fled Ile Royale (Cape Breton Island) to escape the deportation of 1758, but were later captured by the . . . — Map (db m139618) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre
Father Pierre Fiset, Chéticamp parish priest, is generally recognized as being responsible for starting the gypsum mine in Chéticamp in 1907. When news broke that a prospector named Grandin had found gypsum in Chéticamp, Father Fiset . . . — Map (db m139335) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Petit Etang — Canada War Memorial
They will never know the beauty of this place see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus, all we enjoy we owe to them, men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the Seven Seas dedicated to the memory of Canadians who . . . — Map (db m139476) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Canso Causeway"Air Lorg Nan Eilean," The Road to the Isles
Making a Living in the Strait of Canso Area since 1784. Transportation and Communication Early Years: Stage Coach Lines, Ferries, Mail Service Link, Telegraph Offices, American Consular Offices, Railroads, Boston Boats and Coastal . . . — Map (db m139296) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Construction of the Canso Canal / Construction du Canal de Canso
English: Work began on a causeway and canal complex between Cape Breton Island and mainland Nova Scotia in 1953 under a tri-party agreement between the federal Department of Transport, the Nova Scotia Department of Highways and . . . — Map (db m139301) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — History of the Canso Canal / Historique du Canal de Canso
English: The Strait of Canso separates Cape Breton Island from the mainland of Nova Scotia. The Mi'kmaq were the original settlers in the area until the 1780's, when other settlements were established on both shores. Historically, . . . — Map (db m139299) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Operation of the Canso Canal / Exploitation du Canal
English: A canal is a manmade waterway connecting two bodies of water. When one body of water is higher than the other, the canal uses a lock, in this case, a tidal lock consisting of two sets of gates, to compensate for the . . . — Map (db m139302) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — The Building of the Canso Causeway / La Construction de la Levée de Canso
English: The foundation of this massive stone structure rests 66 metres below the Strait of Canso, creating the world’s deepest causeway. More than 9 million tonnes of rock fill were dumped into the strait between 1952 and 1955 . . . — Map (db m139303) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — George Frederick Cameron1854-1885
English: Born and educated in New Glasgow, Cameron, having graduated from the Boston Law School, practiced law in the United States before joining Queen’s University in 1882. The following year he became editor of the Kingston . . . — Map (db m139298) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — The Beginning of New Glasgow
was in August 1784 with the arrival from Kirkhill, Inverness-shire, Scotland, of Thomas Fraser (Deacon) 1749 — 1813 who took possession of this land and created from the forest a farm home, the first in that part of the East River Lower . . . — Map (db m139297) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), South Harbour — South Harbour War Memorial
In grateful memory of the men who gave their lives in two World Wars 1939-1945 E.J. Cameron D.C. MacDonald T. J. MacDonald R. N. MacInnes H. J. MacLennan C. MacLennan E. MacLennan N. MacLennan J. A. MacNeil 1914-1918 M. . . . — Map (db m139337) WM
Ontario, Ottawa — John Macoun(1831-1920)
English: This field naturalist and botanist was the first to survey, document, and categorize Canadian flora in a systematic manner. After Confederation, he travelled west for the Canadian Pacific Railway with surveying parties . . . — Map (db m139504) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — United Empire Loyalists
English: The United Empire Loyalists played a prominent role in the development of this country. In particular, the officers and men of the Royal Highland Emigrants, the King's Royal Regiment of New York, the Loyal Rangers and the . . . — Map (db m139503) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Havre Saint Pierre
Established in 1720, Havre Saint Pierre was once the largest settlement in the colony of Isle Saint Jean. On a summer day in the 1730s this was a busy place. Here - a fleet of tiny shallops, sails snapping as they set out for the . . . — Map (db m139397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Mussel Power/Les moules plus d'une utilité
The bottom of the bay is like a giant compost bin. Seaweed and shellfish collect here when they die, and form a thick, black mud. The decomposing shells create high lime content, making "mussel mud” a perfect fertilizer for the . . . — Map (db m139444) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — St. Peters
Early British settlers were more interested in farming than in fishing. By the early 1800s, a small village began to grow farther inland. Here the bay was narrow and easily crossed - first by ferry, later by bridge. St. Peters . . . — Map (db m139407) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — Murray Harbour War Memorial
In grateful tribute to the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice have made Canada great is this shrine dedicated Killed in action or died in service War of 1914-1918 Gordon Mackay Clarence Reynolds . . . — Map (db m139450) WM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Former Summerside Post Office / L'Ancien Bureau de Poste de Summerside
English: This structure, built 1883-1886, was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller who served as Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works from 1881 to 1896. This basic design with a double entrance, steep roof, . . . — Map (db m139466) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Georgina Fane Pope1862-1938
English: Born in Charlottetown, Georgina Pope chose nursing as a career. After training and working in the United States, she was selected in 1899 to superintend Canada’s military nurses in the South African War. She was the first . . . — Map (db m139478) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — The Summerside Armoury
The Summerside Armoury has been a landmark on Summer Street since 1911. An Armoury is a military structure where arms, ammunition and military equipment are stored. It serves as the headquarters for a militia, a volunteer army made up of local . . . — Map (db m139479) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Canoe Cove — Canoe Cove School
The School For more than a century the Canoe Cove School provided state-of-the-art education to students grades one through ten. This sturdy heritage building launched the successful careers of doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, . . . — Map (db m139457) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsHistory of the Cavendish Area/Histoire de la région de Cavendish.
History of the Cavendish Area. There is archaeological evidence that ancestors of the present-day Mi’kmaq lived on the shores of nearby New London Bay. It is very likely these early Islanders would have travelled here to hunt, . . . — Map (db m139369) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsWreck of the Marco Polo/L'épave du Marco Polo
25 July, 1883. Thanks to a weekend of violent storms there is a heavy sea running. A few farmers watch with astonishment as a magnificent sailing vessel, driven by a mountain of canvas, slams onto the Cavendish sandbars. The air iš alive . . . — Map (db m139391) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsSea Stories/Légendes de la mer
Sea Stories From the first peoples through modern times, the fishery has been vital to the people living along this shore. As Lucy Maud Montgomery remembered: Many of the farmers had a fishing house on the shore field of their . . . — Map (db m139429) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsCavendish and Tourism/Cavendish et le tourisme
Toward the end of the 1800s, Prince Edward Island became known as an excellent vacation spot. Its clean air, rural landscapes and beautiful beaches were offered to travellers made weary by the stress of urban life. By the 1920s, thanks . . . — Map (db m139431) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Port-la-Joye – Fort Amherst
English: From 1720 to 1768 this site was an important colonial base, first for France and later Great Britain. One of the first permanent French settlements on the island, Port-la-Joye served as the seat of colonial government for . . . — Map (db m139447) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Survey of Prince Edward Island / Arpentage de Ľîle-du-Prince-Édouard
English: In 1764 the British government decided to undertake a systematic survey of its North American territory, recently enlarged in the war with France. For this purpose Captain Samuel Holland was put in charge of the northern . . . — Map (db m139436) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — The Deportation of the Inhabitants of Île Saint-JeanLa Déportation Des Habitants de L’île Saint-Jean
English: Undertaken here in 1758, this expulsion was one of the largest and the deadliest of the Acadian deportations that took place between 1755 and 1762. As part of a strategy to dismantle the French colony of Île Saint-Jean . . . — Map (db m139446) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Siège de Québec, 1759 / The Siege of Québec, 1759
Français: Le siège de Québec se déroule du 26 juin au 18 septembre 1759, durant la guerre de Sept Ans. Le 13 septembre, les troupes britanniques sous le major-général James Wolfe vainquent une force composée de militaires . . . — Map (db m139497) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — L'Immigration des Filles du Roi en Nouvelle-France / Immigration of the Filles du Roi to New France
Français: De 1663 à 1673, quelque huit cents filles du roi immigrent en Nouvelle-France dans le but de s’y marier et d’y fonder une famille. Ces Françaises, pour la plupart des orphelins sans le sou, voient leur passage et leur . . . — Map (db m139498) HM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-André — L'Église de Saint-André / The Church of Saint-André
Français: Cette 'église, construite entre 1805 et 1811 pour remplacer une chapelle datant de 1791, rappelle les églises du Régime français érigées selon le plan récollet. Elle comprend une nef sans transept se terminant sur une . . . — Map (db m139483) HM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-Denis-de-la-Bouteillerie — Jean-Charles Chapais(1811-1885)
Français: Né à Rivière-Ouelle, Chapais s'établit à Saint-Denis, où il devint un marchand prospère et un politicien influent. Il promut activement le développement économique et culturel de sa région natale. Reconnu pour sa . . . — Map (db m139496) HM
Quebec (Témiscouata MRC), Rivière-Bleue — La gare de Rivière-Bleue / The Rivière-Bleue Train Station
Français: La gare de Rivière-Bleue est un vestige patrimonial évoquant le souvenir d'une époque récente dynamique dans l'histoire de la région du Transcontinental. Entre 1908 et 1914, le village de Rivière-Bleue vit à l'heure de . . . — Map (db m139495) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Béal na mBláth — Béal na mBláth Ambush Site

Welcome to the Ambush Site at Beal na Blath, where General Michael Collins, "Commander-in-Chief" of The Irish Army, was assassinated on 22nd August 1922.

Michael Collins and his party left Cork City at approximately 6am that . . . — Map (db m139617) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Enniskeane — First Meeting of Ból Chumann na hÉireann(Irish Road Bowling Association)

The first meeting held in Enniskeane on the 22nd Nov. 1954

'Let bowl playing flourish for future generations' — Map (db m139612) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Kilbrittain — Kilbrittain Castle

Kilbrittain Castle is the oldest inhabited castle in Ireland. The Castle is said to date from 1035 where the original fortress was thought to have been built by Mahon, grandson of Brian Boru. It has been occupied by Irish . . . — Map (db m139602) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Kilbrittain — The Book of Lismore

THE BOOK OF LISMORE. It is believed that the Book of Lismore was compiled in the 15th Century to commemorate the marriage of the Gaelic lord Finghin Mac Cárthaigh Riabhach, of Kilbrittain Castle, to Caitilín, daughter of the . . . — Map (db m139606) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — ~ The Family ~Spirit of Macroom

Commemorating the visit of President Mary Robinson

February 24th 1996 —————————— Commissioned and Unveiled by Dermot Desmond First recipient of The . . . — Map (db m139626) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — 300th Anniversary of the Granting of Market Rights to Macroom Town
. . . — Map (db m139642) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — Macroom and the Beautiful Lee ValleyCounty Cork • Ireland

Bealick Mill

This recently restored corn mill, located a short distance outside Macroom on the Coachford road, marks the site of an area and a building of deep historical significance. In 978 Brian Boru defeated the . . . — Map (db m139654) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — Macroom Castle Demesne

History. The first Castle is thought to have been built here in the reign of King John between 1200 and 1250. Macroom Castle was the home of McCarthys, Lord of Muskerry, after the McCarthys displace[d] the O'Flynns, previous . . . — Map (db m139648) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — United Irishmen 1798 - 1803Grateful RemembranceAr dheis Dé raibh a n-anamacha.

CAPTURED BY CROWN FORCES AND

EXECUTED

Ole O'Riordan • Cormac McCarthy • Owen McCarthy Callaghan McCarthy • Timothy McCarthy • John Duggan William Duggan • Owen Scanlan • Timothy Buckley David Breen • Timothy Bohilly • . . . — Map (db m139647) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — War MemorialFor God and Country

Erected to the memory of the men of the 7th and 8th Batts Cork No 1 Brigade I.R.A. who fell in . . . — Map (db m139643) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Lusitania Memorial Garden

Lusitania Memorial Garden officially opened by Minister Simon Coveney T.D. in the presence of Cllr. Séamus McGrath Mayor of County Cork.

7th May . . . — Map (db m139595) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Nineteenth Century Ship's Bollard

On the 12th of February 1874, the 500 ton German barque HERCULES von BARTH, was en route from Barrow-in-Furness to Cardiff to collect a cargo of coal. As the result of a storm the ship was driven westward in a strong gale. It . . . — Map (db m139529) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Old Head of Kinsale / An Seancheann

Arrivals and farewells Old Head, legendary seat of the kings of the southern half of Ireland, marks the start or end of many journeys.

[Background map caption reads] The siege and battle of Kinsale, 1601 from the . . . — Map (db m139528) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — R. M. S. Lusitania

In memory of those who sailed on the R. M. S. Lusitania on 7th May 1915. This perforated image has 34,513 holes in 7 different sizes. Manufactured by Graepel Perforators and Weavers Ltd., Kinsale. Donated to . . . — Map (db m139527) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — RMS Lusitania Lifeboat Davitgifted to The Lusitania Museum at the Old Headby Gerry Doyle, his wife Josie and their family —

A VERY SPECIAL AND PERSONAL REQUEST

August 2017 Kilkeel, Newry, Co Down

Dear Mr Hannaway, I am writing this letter to you personally, in the hope that the matter in question can be dealt with promptly and a . . . — Map (db m139562) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Triangulation PillarGrid Reference No W624409

A handcast concrete pillar tapering to a flat top Part of a network of surveying stations used by Ordinance [sic - Ordnance] Survey Ireland for mapping Erected 1959 — Map (db m139559) HM

Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — A Bit Hilani Type PalaceTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: This spacious palace faced a paved courtyard that led to the city gate. Its wide entrance opened into a vestibule and it had a throne hall surrounded by eight service chambers. This palace is of Neo-Hittite . . . — Map (db m139345) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Inner City GateTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The inner city gate includes four chambers, two on each side. In this chamber vessels for offerings at the high places were kept. The other three chambers served as granaries. The city gate was destroyed by the . . . — Map (db m139336) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Sacrificial High PlaceTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: The inhabitants of the kingdom of Geshur were Aramaens and the high places and ritual objects reflect their religion. On the sacrificial high place were found fragments of basins, horned altars, and an incised . . . — Map (db m139343) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — StreetTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Whenever he went, to village or town or farm, they laid the sick in the streets and begged him to let them simply touch the edge of his cloak; and all who touched him were healed. Mark 6:56Map (db m139383) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Fisherman HouseTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee when he saw Simon and his brother Andrew at work with casting-nets in the lake; for they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, 'Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' At once they left . . . — Map (db m139366) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Winegrower HouseTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
English Text: Wine is like life to men, if you drink it in moderation. What is life to a man who is without wine? It has been created to make men glad. Sirach 31:27Map (db m139374) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Baptistery — Kursi —
English Text: In the time of the most God - beloved Stephanos the priest and abbot was made the mosaic of the Photisterion in the month of December fourth indiction in the time of the pious and Christ - beloved our King Mauricius . . . — Map (db m139423) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Kursi
Kursi, east of the Sea of Galilee, is identified with Gergessa, or with "the Land of the Gardarenes," of the New testament, where the miracle of the swine took place. (Luke 8:26-39) There were three main periods of settlement at Kursi: . . . — Map (db m139392) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 12-inch Cannon
Cañón de 12 pulgadas Descripción Pieza de bronce y de fabricación estadounidense, utilizada por el ejército contra fortificaciones y tropas, este tipo de cañones se utilizaron por primera vez en la guerra de independencia de los . . . — Map (db m139640) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 24-pounder Cannon
Cañón Largo de 24 libras Descripción Fue empleado entre los siglos XVII y XVIII, conocido como cañon de sitio o de plaza; por sus características para atacar fortificaciones, considerado entonces como el más potente. Los proyectiles . . . — Map (db m139641) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 24-pounder Gribeauval Cannon
Cañón de 24 libras Gribeauval Descripción Pieza de artillería de campaña de diseño frances, el cual fue desarrollado por el gral. francés Jean Baptiste Vaquette de Gribeauval. En el ejército, era traccionado en carruajes ligeros y con . . . — Map (db m139655) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Captains Gustavo Garmendia and Federico Montes
El Estado Mayor Presidencial, conmemora “100 Años de la Lealtad Institucional” y rinde un homenaje a la valentía de los: Capitanes Gustavo Garmendia y Federico Montes, quienes el 18 de febrero de 1913 en el Salon de . . . — Map (db m139557) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Carronade
Carronada Descripcion Pieza corta de artillería naval que tuvo su apogeo a finales del siglo XVIII, construida en bronce, cañón disenado por el General Robert Melville y fundido en Carrón (Escocia). Fue empleado por fuerzas del . . . — Map (db m139610) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Fallen Mexican Officers of the Battle of Molino del ReyOficiales Caídos en la Batalla del Molino del Rey
1847 – 8 de septiembre. – 1925 En este lugar ofrendaron su vida por la patria defendiendo su soberanía contra el invasor. Los CC..- Gral. de Div. Antonio León. Gral. Corl. Lucas Balderas; Corls Gregorio Gelati, Juan . . . — Map (db m139594) WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Fountain of the Frogs
Fuente de las Ranas Esta fuente es una réplica de la existente en el parque María Luisa de Sevilla, España. Fue hecha en 1920 por la Casa Montealbán de Cerámica, de Barrio de Triana de esa ciudad, por encargo del licenciado Miguel . . . — Map (db m139644) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Molino del Rey
Molino del Rey El Molino del Rey se construyó a finales del siglo XVI bajo el nombre de Molinos de "El Salvador" y fue originalmente destinado a la fabricación de harina. El área donde se edificó era conocida entonces como las Lomas . . . — Map (db m139365) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Santa Fe Aqueduct
Acueducto "Santa Fe” Data del siglo XVI, construido por disposición del Virrey Martín Enríquez Almanza, para abastecer agua desde Santa Fe hasta Chapultepec, fue considerada una importante obra de ingeniería hidráulica . . . — Map (db m139601) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Dr. Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda
Dr. Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda 5 de diciembre de 1898 – 1 de octubre de 1992 Médico investigador, académico y político acambayense; colaboró con el doctor Hans Zinsser en la Universidad de Harvard para elaborar la vacuna contra . . . — Map (db m139550) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Execution of Lindoro Cajiga
El 25 de diciembre de 1861 fue fusilado en Acambay, Lindoro Cajiga, captor de don Melchor Ocampo. Fue colgado su cadáver en este árbol para hacer justicia al sacrificio de este mártir de la Reforma. Patrimonio Cultural del . . . — Map (db m139469) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Mexican Independence, Revolution and Acambay Earthquake
Honorable Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Acambay 2009-2012, en testimonio a la conmemoración del Bicentenario del inicio de la Independencia de México 1810-1910 Centenario del inicio de la Revolución Mexicana 1910-2010 Centenario del . . . — Map (db m139555) HM WM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Otomíes of Acambay
Homenaje a los otomíes de Acambay que en mayo de 1848 fueron reprimidos al asociarce para pugnar por el mejoramiento de la raza indígena. Patrimonio Cultural del Edo. de México, 1978. ***** English . . . — Map (db m139546) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Leesburg — Round Mountain Iron Furance
(side 1)Map (db m139401) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — 932 — Mount Diablo Coal Field
From 1860 to 1906, this area was the largest coal mining district in California. Five towns (Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartville, Judsonville and West Hartley) grew up around twelve major mines. Today the towns are gone. The buildings having been . . . — Map (db m139449) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse LensesHumboldt County Fair
The 780 prisms and fresnel lenses in this replica of the original Cape Mendocino Light House were hand ground in France, shipped around Cape Horn and originally place in operation at Cape Mendocino in 1868. The entire mechanical gear and prisms . . . — Map (db m139526) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Early Agricultural Use of the Bottomlands
These historic images represent an earlier time when the low-lying wetlands and salt marshes around Humboldt Bay and the lower Eel River valley were largely drained and converted to agricultural uses. Under the congressional Swamp and . . . — Map (db m139531) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Historic Hunting on the, Refuge and Humboldt Bay
Waterfowl hunting was a primary recreational activity on Humboldt Bay from the early 1900s to the 1970s, and remains popular today. During the duck season, members of the Humboldt Fish and Game Club would meet at the hunt cabin on the . . . — Map (db m139549) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — History of the McBride Ranch
Hard work and perseverance created a family business that lasted generations In 1850, Joseph and Zipporah Russ moved to Humboldt County from Maine to start a cattle and sheep ranch. The main buildings were built between 1915 and 1925 and . . . — Map (db m139548) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — A New Home!Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse
The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse is one of the most iconic landmarks on the North Coast and a beloved, historical symbol of the Trinidad community. The structure was built in 1949 as a replica of the original 1871 Trinidad Lighthouse, which remains . . . — Map (db m139525) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — Spain Claims Northern California
"Carolus III. Dei G. Hyspaniarum Rex" June, 9 1775 Replaced by Club Women of Humboldt Co. Sept. 9, 1913 — Map (db m139523) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — We Shall Never Forget
This memorial site is erected and dedicated by the members of the Bakersfield Fire Department and our many supporting community partners, on this eleventh day of September, in the year two-thousand and sixteen A.D., on behalf of the citizens of . . . — Map (db m139587) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 156 — Fire Station No. 1
Built by United States Work Projects Administration, 1940. Fire Station No. 1, Streamline Moderne style. Architects — Public Works Administration. Declared 1976. Built 1940. Historic-Cultural Monument No. 156. — Map (db m134911) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam
The St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12⅓ billion gallons of water roaring down . . . — Map (db m139381) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
On this site in August of 1924 construction started on the St. Francis Dam, a unit of the Los Angeles Aqueduct. When it was completed in May of 1926, this concrete dam stood 185 feet above the stream bed, impounding a 610 surface-acre lake. . . . — Map (db m139380) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m139382) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Universal City — Alfred Hitchcock
Film Director Alfred Hitchcock was the undisputed Master of Suspense and his legacy is an integral part of Universal's history. His classic films include The Birds, Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Strangers . . . — Map (db m139440) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Peter Perkins Pitchlynn(Ha-tchoo-tuc-knee)
Choctaw Chief—Diplomat—Education Leader Born January 30, 1896 Died January 17, 1881 • Principal Chief, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma 1864-1866 • Tribal Commissioner for land claims against the U.S. Government (1853-61 — . . . — Map (db m139480) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Congressional Cemetery Government Lots
Civil War Washington City Over the course of the Civil War, the nation's capital was transformed. The dignified government city Pierre Charles L' Enfant laid out in 1791 was hardened into a sprawling military center. Encircled by strong . . . — Map (db m139512) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — IFAS
In commemoration of the Bicentennial Year of the United States of America, this plaque is dedicated to the faculty and staff of the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences who since 1884 have served Florida and its . . . — Map (db m135962) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — "The People"
The canyon before you was once traversed by Native Americans making their way from camps on the bluffs where they prepared grass seeds for flour. At the Snake River's Salmon Falls, about one-half mile behind you, they fished with traps, hooks, and . . . — Map (db m139607) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — A Changing Climate
Idaho was a very different place during the Pliocene Epoch (three to four million years ago). Like much of the planet, this area was warmer and more humid, with annual rain fall of 20 inches. Studies of ancient pollen found in the sand and clay . . . — Map (db m139552) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Ancient Lakes
Can you find traces of the three ancient lakes that helped form Hagerman Valley and preserved the fossils found here? The first, known as Lake Idaho, covered most of present-day southwestern Idaho about three to eight million years ago. Over time, . . . — Map (db m139556) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Hagerman Sheep Monument
Two related panels are found at the monument: Between the close of the Civil War and the end of World War I the sheep industry played a major role in southern Idaho history. During the Civil War, precious metals were discovered in the . . . — Map (db m139615) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Manifest Destiny
It is ... our manifest destiny to overspread and to possess the whole of the continent which Providence has given us for the development of the great experiment of liberty." John L. O'Sullivan, columnist, New York Morning News, . . . — Map (db m139613) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Right Beneath Your Feet
A trained eye, persistence - and a good deal of luck - often lead paleontologist to new fossil discoveries. New fossil localities are discovered every year. Currently Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument monitors over 600 fossil bearing . . . — Map (db m139609) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Sediments and Fossils
The rock layers in the bluff across the river are made of sediments - particles of sand, silt, and clay. These layers, called strata, were carried here by the ancient Snake River and were deposited as the river entered an ancient lake. This process . . . — Map (db m139554) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — The Great Westward Migration
Never in history had so many moved voluntarily over such a distance. Look at the wagon wheel ruts in front of you. During the Great Western Migration more than 400,000 people packed up their goods and dreams and headed out over wagon roads like . . . — Map (db m139608) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Volcanoes Along the SnakeLava Landscape
The features before you testify to a fiery volcanic past. Distant hills, called buttes, are actually "shield" volcanoes. Named for their shape, these shield volcanoes formed when lava flowed from cracks, or vents, in the earth's crust. Over the past . . . — Map (db m139611) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Where are the Fossils?
Step back in time, three to four million years, and imagine a place were zebra-like horses, ground sloths, mastodons, and other amazing creatures roamed. Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument is filled with fossil evidence of their existence in . . . — Map (db m139551) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Venice — Main Street of America ran right through Venice1926-1936 — The McKinley Bridge - First Route 66 path across the mighty Mississippi River —
From Chicago to Los Angeles, Route 66 was routed over the streets of cities and towns both large and small. Thus its nickname "The Main Street of America." In Illinois, the first state to have all of Route 66 paved, the infamous highway was routed . . . — Map (db m139428) HM
Indiana (Randolph County), Union City — IHB 68.201 — Union Literary Institute
Union Literary Institute was one of the first schools to offer higher education without regard to color or sex before the Civil War. It was established in 1846 by a biracial board, including free blacks from nearby settlements. At the . . . — Map (db m139553) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Early Masonic Hall
Webb Lodge No. 24, established in 1823, leased the second floor of this building owned by Israel Abrahams, Centerville merchant, and met alternately here and at Richmond until 1827. Hiram Lodge No. 42 also met here, 1846. erected by the . . . — Map (db m139260) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Honor RollWorld War I
Honor Roll erected in honor of the men of Center Twp. Wayne Co., Ind. who answered their country’s call to serve for God and humanity in the World War 1917- 1918 by the War Mothers and Citizens of this Twp. (94 names, 1 killed in action, 3 . . . — Map (db m139262) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Mansion House
The Mansion House Historic National Road Tavern Built 1837 Presented to The Wayne County, Indiana, Historical Society January 1967 by Lola C. Beckett who also gave her extensive collection of regional antiquities, gathered with . . . — Map (db m139311) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Historic National RoadThe Road That Built the Nation
Side A An Important Road The National Road is a true American icon, conceived by George Washington, authorized by Thomas Jefferson, and traveled by Abraham Lincoln.

In 1806 construction of the National Road was approved by the US . . . — Map (db m139348) HM

Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Historic National RoadThe Road That Built the Nation
Side A Standing Tall Dedicated on October 28, 1928, this Madonna statue is a tribute to the pioneering spirit of women.

In 1911 the Daughters of the American Revolution proposed a “model highway” from Washington, DC, to . . . — Map (db m139349) HM

Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Lincoln Memorial — Louisville, Kentucky —
( first panel ) Abraham Lincoln, his hand and pen He will be good but God knows when. Abraham Lincoln, ca. 1826-26 Abraham Lincoln was born February 12, 1809, near Hodgenville, Kentucky. The Commonwealth of Kentucky dedicates this . . . — Map (db m139475) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — An African American Neighborhood
Generations Lived, Worked and Worshipped Here A sizeable African American population lived for generations in this immediate vicinity. Until the late 1960s, African Americans were often relegated to live in predetermined areas and sometimes . . . — Map (db m139387) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Barr BuildingHistory
Constructed between 1891 and 1895, this two story Italianate building features a highly decorative iron clad façade. The cornice is highlighted by bulls-eye motifs and brackets and two oriel windows framed by fluted pilasters creating one of the . . . — Map (db m139231) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Bowling Green - Warren CountyBicentennial — 1797 ~ 1997 —
Bicentennial time capsule placed in the lawn of the Warren County Courthouse on March 7, 1998. To be opened March 7, 2098 by the governments of Bowling Green & Warren County. (reverse) Warren County, the 24th county formed in Kentucky, . . . — Map (db m139488) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Cecelia Memorial Presbyterian Church
History The Cecelia Memorial Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest church buildings in Warren County. It was built in 1847 for the First Christian Church in the Greek Revival style. In 1897 it was sold to the Negro Cumberland Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m139443) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — College Street Commercial Development
Until the early 1940s, the College Street Bridge was the chief entrance to Bowling Green from the Barren River’s northern short.

A Lively Commercial Corridor As one of the city’s main corridors, College Street boasted a number of . . . — Map (db m139384) HM

Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Getty BuildingHistory
This three story building, featuring a limestone facade with a cast iron store front, was constructed in 1871 by John Getty to house a dry goods store. After being sold to Getty's nephew, Cuthbertson, and then to the Nahm Brothers, it was the . . . — Map (db m139234) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Lower College Street
College Street was a major transportation artery into the city of Bowling Green and it was lined with an eclectic mix of businesses, residences, churches, and light industry. Two influential African American women, Cecelia Lillard and Ora Frances . . . — Map (db m139442) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Modern Automotive District
The Nation Embraces the Automobile Automobile travel swept Bowling Green and the rest of the nation during the 1920s. Drivers enjoyed the freedom of traveling by car on the Dixie highway from Michigan to Florida. People stopped in Bowling . . . — Map (db m139385) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Residential Architecture
This immediate area was chiefly residential with commercial properties primarily located on College and Adams Streets. Sandwiched between those two major streets was a neighborhood, a place that people called home. The variety of houses built here . . . — Map (db m139386) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Standard Filling Station No. 1
On July 18, 1921, Standard Oil of Kentucky purchased this lot to construct Residential Filling Station No. 1. It was most likely the first filling station in the area. Standard Oil built a second station No. 2 at the corner of 12th and High Street. . . . — Map (db m139389) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Warren County CourthouseHistory
The Warren County Courthouse was erected 1867-1869 at a cost of $125,000. Designed by architect D.J. Williams, the structure incorporates elements from the Greek Revival and Italianate architectural styles. This was the third courthouse for . . . — Map (db m139240) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter
Blues singer from Mooringsport, La. (1888-1949). He played 12 string guitar on Shreveport's Fannin St., sang his way out of prison, and became a folk hero with songs like "Goodnight Irene," "Bourgeois Blues", and "Midnight Special". — Map (db m139521) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Chamber PlazaHistoric Site — Shreveport —
Built 1922, under the administration of Mayor John McWilliams Ford, to house Shreve Memorial Library. Designed by J. P. Annan in style of Roman Villa. Remained in use as central public library for over half a century. — Map (db m139538) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Confederate Navy Yard
One block west near mouth of Cross Bayou at Red River the ironclad Missouri and ram Webb built. Missouri armored with railroad iron, In 1863 Webb fought U.S.S. Indianola near Vicksburg. Missouri was surrendered . . . — Map (db m139539) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Cross BayouHistoric Site — Shreveport —
One of Shreveport's most historic waterways, Cross Bayou is spanned by the old KCS Railroad Bridge, one of only two surviving examples of the Waddell A-Truss bridge design in America. On the south bank of Cross Bayou was the Confederate Navy Yard . . . — Map (db m139540) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Old Municipal BuildingHistoric Site — Shreveport —
Built 1924 to house Police department and City Court. Excellent example of early 20th century Neo-Classic/Federal architecture. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1982. — Map (db m139543) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Soul MenReleased 2008 — Shreveport/Bossier Film Location —
In October of 1923, construction began on a 2,500 seat opera house and movie theater that would become known as The Strand. It was funded by the Saenger Brothers and the Ehrlich Brothers who went on to own 320 theaters throughout the south. Of all . . . — Map (db m139605) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — World's First Shriners Hospital
Established on this site September 16, 1922, Shriners Hospitals for Children in Shreveport became the world's first Shriners Hospital. In 1986, the original building was replaced with a new facility. From its beginnings in Shreveport, Shriners . . . — Map (db m139582) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Meadow MillHistoric Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley.
Meadow Mill was built by industrialist William E. Hooper in 1877 during one of the most prosperous periods for industry in the Jones Falls Valley. Designed by architect Reuben Gladfelter, it represented the finest of Baltimore mill design. A . . . — Map (db m138738) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mill No. 1Historic Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley
Mill No. 1 sits on the site of Laurel Mill, a late 18th century flour mill originally owned by prominent businessman and abolitionist Elisha Tyson. In 1849, the newly chartered Mount Vernon Company built a textile mill on the site. Mill No. 1 stood . . . — Map (db m138740) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery Avenue and Washington StreetLost Rockville - 1801 to 1850
Rockville grew from a convenient crossroads meeting place in the 1750s to become the legal and market center of the county. The tiny village was selected as the seat of local government in 1776 for its central location and the presence of taverns . . . — Map (db m138805) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Naubinway — 258 — The Northernmost Point of Lake Michigan
About a mile west of here is the northernmost point of Lake Michigan. This geographical location is of historical importance because the act of Congress which created the territory of Michigan in 1805 used it to mark the western boundary of this new . . . — Map (db m139339) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Ancient Anishinabe Path / Gete Anishinaabek Miikaan
Ancient Anishinabe Path The route that U.S. 2 follows today has served as an important transportation corridor from the earliest inhabitants of the Michigan Peninsulas to the present. When the Federal Highway System was established . . . — Map (db m139359) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Commercial Fishing
The history of the Straits has always been interwoven with the fishing resources of the Great Lakes. The abundant stocks of fish were a food staple for the native people and early European traders and settlers. Commercial fishing expanded . . . — Map (db m139547) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Father Marquette Park Kiosk
The Jesuits Black Robes of the Wilderness In the 17th century the Society of Jesus (The Jesuits) sent missionaries to the far reaches of Asia, Africa, and the Americas. The Roman Catholic order was founded in 1537 by the Basque priest, . . . — Map (db m139445) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 98 — Fort de Buade
This fort was built by the French near here within a decade after Marquette had established his mission in 1671. Its name was that of the family of Frontenac, the French Governor for North America. Until Detroit was founded in 1701, this was the . . . — Map (db m139604) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — France at Mackinac
The French Come to the Straits The Straits of Mackinac has been a gathering place for hundreds of years. An abundance of whitefish, lake trout and sturgeon attracted Native people who established seasonal villages on Mackinac and Bois Blanc . . . — Map (db m139634) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Grave of Father Marquette
(Translation of Latin Text on Monument) In Memorium Erected by the citizens of St. Ignace in 1882, this monument marks the grave of Rev. Father James Marquette, S.J., who died on the eighteenth day of May, 1675, at the age of thirty . . . — Map (db m139394) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Huron Indians at St. Ignace
Some of the Hurons, who were driven from Ontario and the East by hostile Iroquois, finally found refuge in 1671 beside Marquette's new St. Ignace Mission. (Also called Huron Mission). They remained here with the French and Ottawas until 1701, when . . . — Map (db m139395) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Knights of Columbus Plaque
This church building, constructed in 1837, still stands because of the foresight and commitment of the St. Ignace Knights of Columbus. Originally built on South State Street, the Old Mission Church served St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Parish for . . . — Map (db m139470) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Michilimackinac Cove
Famous landing place for 17th century adventurers, explorers, voyageurs, traders, coureurs de bois, soldiers and missionaries, who followed Indian routes to this shore; — Brule, Nicolet, Dablon, Marquette, Perrot, Jolliet, La Salle, Hennepin, . . . — Map (db m139461) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Old Mill Slip
Michigan's huge, untouched forests once seemed inexhaustible. Virgin White Pine often were over 5 feet in diameter and 200 feet tall. The lumber era boomed in Michigan between 1880 and 1900. Giant trees were cut in winter and floated to . . . — Map (db m139603) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 92 — St. Ignace Mission
In 1671 the mission of St. Ignace was established so that the Christian message could be brought to several thousand Indians living on this shore. The founder was Father Jacques Marquette, the Jesuit missionary. In 1673 he left on his great journey . . . — Map (db m139390) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Structures of Local Native Americans in the 1600'sSt. Ignace Downtown History
One of the oldest archaeological sites in the country is located in St. Ignace at the Museum of Ojibwa Culture (across the street from here). The Huron village, which was located there, is believed to have looked like this in the 1600s. These . . . — Map (db m139513) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — The Huron Longhouse
When Huron refugees settled on this site in 1671 they established a village similar to the ones they had built for centuries in lower Ontario, their homeland. The most striking feature in a Huron village is the very tall and very long bark . . . — Map (db m139625) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Two Cultures Meet
French traders established themselves in the Upper Great Lakes region after 1644 and were welcome among the Indians. They sought harmony with the native people, learning their language and respecting their customs. The French adopted useful . . . — Map (db m139530) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Voyage of Exploration
Father Jacques Marquette, a Jesuit priest, established a mission called St. Ignace here in 1671. In May of 1673, Marquette, Louis Jolliet and 5 other Frenchmen left St. Ignace in 2 canoes on an expedition to find the river known as the . . . — Map (db m139514) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Watery Graveyard
The Great Lakes have swallowed up over 10,000 ships since the first trading ship was lost in 1679. Storm waves on the lakes are sharper than the roll and swell of ocean waves; a ship may not recover before being struck by another wave. Lake . . . — Map (db m139590) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — What's in the Water?St. Ignace Downtown History
The dark debris along the shoreline of this sandy beach is actually tree bark that has washed ashore. How did the tree bark get in the water in the first place? From the 1870's to the mid 1900's, when the lumber industry was huge in Northern . . . — Map (db m139492) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — What's in the Water?St. Ignace Downtown History
The dark debris along the shoreline of this sandy beach is actually tree bark that has washed ashore. How did the tree bark get in the water in the first place? From the 1870's to the mid 1900's, when the lumber industry was huge in Northern . . . — Map (db m139511) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Brashear AcademyPort Gibson Historic Tour
407 Walnut. 1857 Greek Revival. Erected as a school for young ladies. Brashear Academy became Chamberlain-Hunt Academy after the Civil War. Thereafter, used as a public school until purchased by the First Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m139489) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne CountyWindsor Battlefield Tour
This local area was once a part of the mighty Choctaw Nation. The Choctaw Indians relinquished when they signed The Treaty of Commissioner's Creek in 1802. Among the white men who signed this treaty were David Hunt and Daniel Burnet. The first . . . — Map (db m139187) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne CountyWindsor Battlefield Tour
The Caucasian habitation of Claiborne County began as a settlement on the banks of Bayou Pierre, a venture which perished in 1729. Pioneers again attempted to settle Grand Gulf in 1775. In 1802 the County officially established and named for the . . . — Map (db m139493) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Commercial BuildingPort Gibson Historic Tour
212-14 Carrol. Ca. 1840 Greek Revival. One of the finest commercial/residential buildings from this era in Mississippi today. The center doorway opens to a stairhall which leads to the residence area upstairs. — Map (db m139356) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Commercial BuildingsPort Gibson Historic Tour
600 Block of Market. Ca. 1828-40. Federal/Greek Revival. This grouping of buildings had commercial space on the ground floor and either storage or living space above. Washington Hall at 601-09 Market was formerly a hotel. — Map (db m139468) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Judge Coleman HomePort Gibson Historic Tour
1108 Church. Ca. 1830 Greek Revival. This home built by Judge Coleman was the site of a large political rally held for Henry Clay, during one of his early visits to Port Gibson. — Map (db m139459) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Judge Maury HousePort Gibson Historic Tour
302 Jackson. Ca. 1827-1840, Greek Revival. Henry Clay often visited in Port Gibson and stayed in this house as guest of his friend, Judge James H. Maury. Descendents(sp) of Judge Maury still live here (1979). — Map (db m139354) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — McDougall HousePort Gibson Historical Tour
509 Church. Ca. 1820 Greek Revival. The portico treatment featuring two round columns between two square columns is called distyle-in-antis. This arrangement is modeled after the Tower of the Winds in Athens. The Corinthian columns are carved from . . . — Map (db m139490) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — O'Hara CottagePort Gibson Historic Tour
902 Farmer. Ca. 1850 Greek Revival. The original floor plan of this cottage consisted of one large room to either side of an entrance hall with front and rear galleries. A detached kitchen extended off the rear gallery. — Map (db m139474) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Planter's HotelPort Gibson Historic Tour
405 Market. 1810-20 Federal. This large brick structure was one of the well known inns along the Natchez Trace. The famous actor Joseph Jefferson was a guest here. This is one of the oldest buildings in Claiborne County. — Map (db m139471) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson BankPort Gibson Historic Tour
702 Market. 1840 Greek Revival. This bank closed its doors during the Civil War but reopened afterwards as a hotel.Since 1890 it has been used for its original purpose. The hexastyle portico features unfluted Doric columns. — Map (db m139458) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — St. Peter A.M.E. ChurchPort Gibson Historic Tour
409 Church. Ca. 1885 High Victorian Gothic. This church was founded in 1870. The building is a simplified version of the High Victorian Gothic style popular in the United States in the latter half of the nineteenth century. — Map (db m139491) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Vicksburg Campaign and SiegeA Guide to the Campaign Trail — Brig. Gen. (Ret.) Parker Hills —
In April of 1861, rumors of Civil War became a reality at Charleston harbor when Fort Sumter was fired upon by Southern forces. Many leaders, both North and South, believed that a dash to capture the opposing side's capital city would bring a quick . . . — Map (db m139494) HM WM
Missouri, St. Louis — Capture of Camp Jackson
The Strength of our Nation is the Union of States To Commemorate The capture of Camp Jackson - May 10 1861 - By - The Missouri Volunteers: First Regiment Infantry - Colonel Frank Blair, Second Regiment Infantry - Colonel Henry . . . — Map (db m139313) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — Gaslight SquareBorn late 50's - Died late 60's
For 10 years, Boyle and Olive was the center of St. Louis' entertainment universe. The Square gained its national reputation as a magnet for the beat and the hip. Later, it became home to legendary and local performers in comedy, drama, and jazz - . . . — Map (db m139329) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — Le Grange de Terre (Big Mound)
This boulder stands near the site of the Great Indian Mound, leveled about 1870, which gave the city of St. Louis the name "Mound City" Placed by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Missouri-1929 — Map (db m139362) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — Mounds Heritage TrailBig Mound
Big Mound was the largest mound in the St. Louis Mound Group. A ridge mound, 319 feet long, 158 feet wide, and 34 feet high Big Mound contained a burial chamber holding 20 to 30 individuals. Unfortunately, development in the City of St. Louis led to . . . — Map (db m139425) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — 66 Park-In Theater1947-1994 — Crestwood, MO —
Not just movies attracted patrons to this open-air theatre advertising "cool breezes" before the advent of air-conditioning. Pony rides, a Ferris wheel and a trained bear cub served as amusements. "The 66" was dubbed "the passion pit" by local teens. — Map (db m139578) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Coral Court1941-1993 — Marlboroough, MO —
Rooms with private garages renting for four to eight hours at a time crystallized racy reputation of mythical proportions for this 77-room motor inn. The rate structure was created for tired truckers, but a more discreet clientele were attracted. — Map (db m139536) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Jay B. Smith Funeral Home1932-Present — Maplewood, MO —
Originally Sarah Sutton Harrison's home (c.1890), the mansion was transformed into a funeral home by Jay B. Smith and purchased by John B. Hardy in 1967. The 2nd generation of the Hardy family remains at the helm as a devoted corporate citizen. — Map (db m139558) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Katz Drug Store1914-1971 — Various Locations —
The neon cat sign was a prominent fixture that smiled down on many a traveler along Route 66. Pioneering the model for the mass market drug store, Katz held a significant place in Maplewood's historic landscape post-dating the original alignment era. — Map (db m139519) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Saratoga Lanes1916-Present — Maplewood, MO —
The Saratoga Billiards & Bowling Alley is the oldest of its kind west of the Mississippi. An "upstair-zer", the 8-lane bowling alley has provided fun for generations of bowlers, pool players, travelers and socialites making it a treasured landmark. — Map (db m139579) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — Sunnen Products Company1924-Present — Maplewood, MO —
Joe Sunnen and his wife, Cornelia, sold valve tools from their truck with little more than a spirit to succeed. Today, the firm is the world's largest integrated precision bore sizing company and they played a key role in Maplewood's redevelopment. — Map (db m139522) HM
Missouri (St. Louis County), Maplewood — The Wedge1893-1972 — Maplewood, MO —
Built as an early turn-around for the horse-drawn trolley lines from St. Louis, the building saw many changes in its eight-decade existence. It later served as a grocery, a saloon and finally E.J. Tire Store (c. 1921) until its demolition. — Map (db m139518) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Hill — 0162 — New Hill Village
In February 1937, Hill residents learned that their village, near the Pemigewasset River, was to become a flood control reservoir for the Franklin Falls dam project. By January of 1940, the citizens of Hill formed an association, purchased . . . — Map (db m139315) HM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Bridgewater Township — Bridgewater Train Station
The Bridgewater Train Station is dedicated to the memory of Arthur L. Reuben, 1921 – 1999.

A founder of the Raritan Valley Line Coalition, and a member of and Legislative Agent for the New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers, and . . . — Map (db m139393) HM

New York (Albany County), Albany — Abraham Ten Broeck
Abraham Ten Broeck (1734-1810) built this grand mansion in the Federal style after the destruction of his family home on Broadway in the great fire of 1797. Descended from one of Albany's founding New Netherland families, he was a businessman, . . . — Map (db m139507) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Brig. Gen. Abraham Ten Broeck1734-1810
. . . — Map (db m139506) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Ten Broeck Family Burial Vault
On this site, two generals of the Revolutionary War were interred. Major General Philip Schuyler and Brigadier General Abraham Ten Broeck, both natives of Albany. General Philip Schuyler died in November of 1804 and was buried here following a . . . — Map (db m139508) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Ten Broeck Mansion
Erected by General Abraham and Elizabeth Van Rensselaer Ten Broeck Erected 1798 Occupied by the Thomas Olcott Family 1848-1948 Given to the Albany County Historical Association in 1948 — Map (db m139505) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Jacob Willetts   Deborah Willetts
Jacob Willetts Deborah Willetts Widely Known Educators Lived here in early 19th Century State Education Department 1935 — Map (db m139342) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Meeting House
Meeting House Built in 1780 by the Nine Partners Meeting of the Society of Friends State Education Department 1955 — Map (db m139341) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Millbrook Veterans Monument
1941   1945 Dedicated to the Veterans of the Town of Washington Who Served in Our Country’s Defense and to the Imperishable Memory of Those Who Died Adams, Stirling S. · Alexander, John M. · Alexander, William F. · Anderson, Alexander L. · . . . — Map (db m139542) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Nine Partners School
Nine Partners School On this site, 1796-1863, Influential in Education Famous for its teachers And pupils State Education Department 1935 — Map (db m139340) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Tribute Garden
This Garden was created by The Millbrook Garden Club and planted with Trees, Shrubs and Flowers native to Our Country. It is Dedicated as a Tribute and Memorial to the Soldiers and Sailors who went from the Township of . . . — Map (db m139541) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Wingdale — Masiero – Winship Post 1811 Veterans Monument
Masiero – Winship Post 1811 To Honor Those Veterans Who Defended God and Country Dedicated to the Men and Women of Wingdale Who Served in the Armed Forces of Our Country Chartered July 30 1953   Erected May 30 1991 . . . — Map (db m139334) WM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Canal TownErie Canalway National Heritage Corridor — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Towns sprouted along the length of the Erie Canal. Canal Street was Canastota's business district. Travelers stopped here for food and supplies or a bed for the night at a hotel or boarding house. Local farmers, merchants, and manufacturers shipped . . . — Map (db m139500) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Enlarging the Erie CanalErie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
Its immediate success on opening from Albany to Buffalo in 1825 soon led to calls to enlarge the canal. From 1836 to 1862 the canal was deepened from 4 feet to 7 feet, with bigger locks and aqueducts, and canal boats grew threefold in capacity from . . . — Map (db m139502) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Industrial Growth / Canalway Trail
Industrial Growth (marker front panel) The Erie Canal encouraged settlers to establish farms and helped small upstate towns become economically viable. Plants and mills built near the canal to process farm produce diversified to meet . . . — Map (db m139499) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Lenox Anti-Slavery SocietyLA-SS
300 feet north of here, the Lenox Anti-Slavery Society was organized at the former First Presbyterian Church on December 7, 1836 — Map (db m139567) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Milton DelanoHome of
Home of Milton Delano. Clerk of Town of Old Lenox. Twice elected Sheriff of Madison County. Member of Congress 1888-1892 — Map (db m139563) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Peterboro Street Lift BridgeErie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
Canal and street traffic came into conflict where Peterboro Street crossed the Erie Canal in Canastota's busy commercial district. Engineers fixed the problem with a hydraulic lift bridge. Raised, it let boats through and still carried foot traffic. . . . — Map (db m139501) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Quality Hill Green
A company of horse artillery drilled here during the War of 1812 — Map (db m139565) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Reuben Perkins
Reuben Perkins, born on November 5th, 1763, came from a family of the earliest settlers of New England. Perkins was a veteran of the Revolutionary War and had served in the battles at Plattsburg, Saratoga, and Stony Point. For his service he . . . — Map (db m139591) HM

326 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 126
Paid Advertisement