Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

480 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 280
 
McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean<br>(<i>marker visible near right edge</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, July 31, 2019
McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean
(marker visible near right edge)
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — McLean Dairy / Laiterie McLean127 Chapel Street / 127, rue Chapel
On Chapel Street west of Orange Street, on the left when traveling west.
English: This dwelling is a reminder of an era when small towns produced more of their own food. Built by local carpenter James McLean for his family in 1890, the lot included a barn where they kept the cows which supported a . . . — Map (db m139577) HM
Nova Scotia (Antigonish County), Antigonish — St. James United Church
On Main Street (Route 4) just east of Church Street, on the right when traveling east.
The congregation of St. James was founded in 1804. The present day church was built in 1862. Our ten original memorial windows were installed and dedicated in 1911. They use Christian symbolism to uplift the spirit. St. James has had three church . . . — Map (db m139424) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — First Boy Scout Troop in North America
On Long Beach Road north of Marconi Trail (Route 255), on the right when traveling north.
The first Boy Scout Troop in North America was formed in this village in 1908 by William Glover (1874-1949), a bookkeeper at the North Atlantic Colliery. He was master of the local Masonic Lodge and director of the St. Paul's Anglican Church Choir. . . . — Map (db m139294) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — L'industrie du Charbon au Canada / Canada's Coal Industry
On Long Beach Road 1 kilometer north of Marconi Trail (Route 255), on the left when traveling north.
Français: Deux mille pieds au sud-est de cet endroit se trouvent les vestiges de la première exploitation régulière d’une mine de charbon en Amérique, commencée par le Français en 1720. Cette industrie, modeste à son origine, est . . . — Map (db m139292) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Port Morien — The First Coal Workings in North America
On Long Beach Road north of Marconi Trail (Route 255), on the right when traveling north.
Commercial coal mining began in Port Morien in 1720 after a mine had been opened to supply The Fortress at Louisbourg. This was the first commercial coal mine in North America. After the English victory at Louisbourg in 1758, the mine remained in . . . — Map (db m139293) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Sydney — The Development of Whitney Pier / L'essor De Whitney Pier
On Victoria Road (Route 28) south of Church Street, on the right when traveling north.
English: In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, thousands of immigrants came to Cape Breton from Europe, the West Indies, the United States, and elsewhere to work in iron and steel production. Many settled in Whitney Pier, . . . — Map (db m139295) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — In Memory of Tusker 914 En mémoire deJuly 13, 2006
Near Union Street at Queen Street.
On July 13, 2006 a Canadian Forces helicopter from 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron carrying seven crew members who were exercising rescue techniques with local Canadian Coast Guard auxiliary members crashed in Canso Harbour. . . . — Map (db m139669) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — We Will Remember/Nous Nous Souviendrons
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 316), on the right when traveling west.
Welcome to #5 Radar Unit. RCAF Queensport / Cole Harbour. Bienvenue à Ja Sieme unité de radar deP'ARC, située à Queensport / Cole Harbour. This base, along with ten others situated along the rocky shores of Nova Scotia, Was tasked with . . . — Map (db m139288) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Guysborough — GuysboroughThe Court House
On Church Street (Nova Scotia Route 16) at Queen Street, on the left when traveling north on Church Street.
The Court House was constructed in 1842-43. It was the third court house built in Guysborough, the original administrative centre of Sydney County from 1785-1827. Sydney County included present-day Guysborough and Antigonish Counties. Built in . . . — Map (db m139264) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Halfway Cove — The Voyage of Prince Henry SinclairThe Chronicles of Prince Henry Sinclair’s Voyage to the New World in 1398
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 16), on the left when traveling east.
The Voyage of Prince Henry Sinclair to the New World in 1398 On June 2, 1398 Henry Sinclair allegedly set foot in North America on the sandbar of Guysborough Harbour. His fleet consisted of 12 ships with between 200-300 men on board, a . . . — Map (db m139656)
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — The Canal
On Whitehead Road, on the left when traveling south.
The Whitehead Canal is located between Whitehead Harbour and Witch Cove. Prior to its construction, fishermen had to haul their boats over a narrow beach between Whitehead and Molasses Harbour (now Port Felix) at a spot known as "The Haulover". . . . — Map (db m139515) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — "Old" Dalhousie and the Grand Parade
Near Argyle Street just south of Duke Street, on the left when traveling south.
The year is 1821. You are looking south in the Grand Parade towards Saint Paul's, the oldest Anglican church in Canada. Turn and face north: the fine building you see is not City Hall, but "old" Dalhousie College. In a long, often acrimonious, . . . — Map (db m139592) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Cast Iron Facade / Façade en Fonte
Near Granville Street north of Duke Street, in the median.
English: This building, erected in 1860, provides a rare and early example of a full cast iron facade in Canada. Used in construction since the 1770s, cast iron had become a popular decorative material by the mid-19th century . . . — Map (db m139596) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — D-Day/Jour J1944
D-Day and the Battle of Normandy 6 June-21 August 1944 After months of elaborate planning, the largest seaborne invasion in modern history commenced on 6 June 1944 (D-Day) to liberate northwestern Europe from German . . . — Map (db m139666) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Enos Collins1774-1871
Near Upper Water Street just north of Duke Street, on the right when traveling north.
English: An ambitious seaman from Liverpool, N.S., and sometime privateer, Enos Collins was reputed to be the richest man in British North America when he died. His fortune, amassed through shrewd investments in mercantile, . . . — Map (db m139664) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Halifax City Hall / Hôtel de ville d'Halifax
Near Argyle Street just south of Duke Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: The Halifax City Hall, erected between 1887 and 1890, is the largest and one of the oldest municipal buildings in Nova Scotia. Designed by a local architect, Edward Elliot, its elegant facade features an attractive and . . . — Map (db m139509) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Lebanese Immigrants
This monument is a universal symbol of a proud, strong and globally united Lebanese community. The statue honours the early Lebanese settlers who, 130 years ago, established a presence in this country, sewing the bonds of loyalty, faith, . . . — Map (db m139674) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Ocean Terminals/le terminal ocean terminals
Near Marginal Road.
National Historic Civil Engineering Site Ocean Terminals 1912-1928 A tribute to the civil engineers and contractors who designed and built these ocean terminals Canadian Society for Civil Engineering June 1998 Site historique . . . — Map (db m139330) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Rotary Performance Platform & Lookoff/ Scéne et belvédère des clubs Rotary
In honour of the 100th Anniversary of Rotary International, Rotary Clubs of Halifax are pleased to join Waterfront Development Corporation limited in creating this performance platform and lookoff as a gift to the people of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m139326) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — St. Paul’s Church / Église St. Pauls
Near Argyle Street just north of Prince Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: Completed in 1750, St. Paul’s was the first church outside Great Britain to be designated as an Anglican cathedral. Between 1787 and 1864 it served as the cathedral church of the See of Nova Scotia. For 96 years St. . . . — Map (db m139686) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The Explosion Clock
On Duke Street just east of Argyle Street, on the left when traveling east.
The hands on the north clock face in the City Hall tower, opposite on Duke Street, are permanently fixed at 9:04:35 the exact moment of the wartime Halifax Explosion the morning of 6 December 1917. The clock face, a replica of the City Hall . . . — Map (db m139510) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The Grand Parade
Near Argyle Street south of Duke Street, on the left when traveling south.
This has been the central gathering place of our people since the founding of Halifax in 1749. Saint Paul’s Church was established by Royal Charter in our founding year, becoming the first church in the city and the oldest Protestant church in . . . — Map (db m139593) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The Halifax Court House / Le Palais de Justice D'Halifax
On Spring Garden Road at Grafton Street, on the right when traveling east on Spring Garden Road.
English: The Halifax Court House was designed in 1858 by the Toronto architectural firm of William Thomas and Sons and since its completion in 1863 has housed both county and provincial courts. The building’s importance is . . . — Map (db m139600) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Women and the Second World War/Les femmes et la Seconde Guerre mondiale1939-1945
Women in Canada and Newfoundland significantly contributed to Allied victory. Whereas women were military nurses during the First World War, more than 50,000 were now serving in uniform as non-combatants in all three armed services . . . — Map (db m139663) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Cheticamp — Jeanne Dugas
On Cabot Trail.
The life story of Jeanne Dugas illustrates the experiences of Acadíans in the second half of the 18th century. She and her family fled Ile Royale (Cape Breton Island) to escape the deportation of 1758, but were later captured by the . . . — Map (db m139618) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — Dés l'année suivante, en 1927 / The following year, in 1927
Near Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north.
Français: Dés l'année suivante, en 1927, M. J. Macfarland engage M. A. Boudreau à temps plein comme directeur-adjoint des opérations à Chéticamp. M. Boudreau s'occupe particulièrement de la comptabilité de la compagnie, . . . — Map (db m139698) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — La Bouée du havre / The Harbour Bouy
Near Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north.
Français: Cette bouée ancrée dans le havre de Chéticamp permettait aux grands transatlantiques de tourner sur eux-mêmes. Elle avait été entièrement attachée avec des rivets chauds. Elle servit de 1928 à 1946. . . . — Map (db m139797) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — La fin d'un rêve / The End of a Dream
Near Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north.
Français: La guerre met cependant fin aux opérations quand l'Angleterre réquisitionne les bateaux pour le ravitaillement des troupes. La dernière cargaison pour l'Angleterre fut déchargée en mer pour permettre au bateau de se . . . — Map (db m139734) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — M. Joseph Macfarland / Mr. Joseph MacFarland1923-1947
Near Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north.
Français: Après plusieurs vaines tentatives de ressusciter l'entreprise, ce n'est qu'en 1926 que l'Atlantic Gypsum Company de Boston achète toutes les installations et engage M. Joseph MacFarland pour relancer l'exploitation de la . . . — Map (db m139697) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre
On Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north.
Father Pierre Fiset, Chéticamp parish priest, is generally recognized as being responsible for starting the gypsum mine in Chéticamp in 1907. When news broke that a prospector named Grandin had found gypsum in Chéticamp, Father Fiset . . . — Map (db m139335) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — Tunnel et Quai de la mine / Tunnel and Mine Wharf
Near Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north.
Français: On creuse un tunnel de l'entrepôt jusqu'à la mer, passant sous le chemin ; on construit un long quai recouvert dans lequel on achemine le gypse par convoyeur. Tous les travaux sont terminés en 1929, et au mois de juin de . . . — Map (db m139696) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — Voie ferrée et « Lu vieille Louise » / The railroad and "La Vieille Louise"1910-1914
Near Cabot Trail just north of Barren Road, on the left when traveling north.
Français: Les affaires vont bien, on décide d'agrandir. Après le décès du Père Fiset, on emprunte 100,000$ pour construire une voie ferrée entre la carrière et le quai des Fiset. On achète une locomotive à vapeur avec dix wagons . . . — Map (db m139695) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Petit Etang — Canada War Memorial
On Cabot Trail when traveling north.
They will never know the beauty of this place see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus, all we enjoy we owe to them, men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the Seven Seas dedicated to the memory of Canadians who . . . — Map (db m139476) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Canso Causeway"Air Lorg Nan Eilean," The Road to the Isles
Near Trans Canada Highway (National Route 104) 0.5 kilometers west of Ceilidh Trail (Route 19), on the right when traveling west.
Making a Living in the Strait of Canso Area since 1784. Transportation and Communication Early Years: Stage Coach Lines, Ferries, Mail Service Link, Telegraph Offices, American Consular Offices, Railroads, Boston Boats and Coastal . . . — Map (db m139296) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Construction of the Canso Canal / Construction du Canal de Canso
Near Trans Canada Highway (National Route 104) 0.5 kilometers west of Ceilidh Trail (Route 19), on the right when traveling west.
English: Work began on a causeway and canal complex between Cape Breton Island and mainland Nova Scotia in 1953 under a tri-party agreement between the federal Department of Transport, the Nova Scotia Department of Highways and . . . — Map (db m139301) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — History of the Canso Canal / Historique du Canal de Canso
Near Trans Canada Highway (National Route 104) 0.5 kilometers west of Ceilidh Trail (Route 19), on the right when traveling west.
English: The Strait of Canso separates Cape Breton Island from the mainland of Nova Scotia. The Mi'kmaq were the original settlers in the area until the 1780's, when other settlements were established on both shores. Historically, . . . — Map (db m139299) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — Operation of the Canso Canal / Exploitation du Canal
Near Trans Canada Highway (National Route 104) 0.5 kilometers west of Ceilidh Trail (Route 19), on the right when traveling west.
English: A canal is a manmade waterway connecting two bodies of water. When one body of water is higher than the other, the canal uses a lock, in this case, a tidal lock consisting of two sets of gates, to compensate for the . . . — Map (db m139302) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Port Hastings — The Building of the Canso Causeway / La Construction de la Levée de Canso
Near Trans Canada Highway (National Route 104) 0.5 kilometers west of Ceilidh Trail (Route 19), on the right when traveling west.
English: The foundation of this massive stone structure rests 66 metres below the Strait of Canso, creating the world’s deepest causeway. More than 9 million tonnes of rock fill were dumped into the strait between 1952 and 1955 . . . — Map (db m139303) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — George Frederick Cameron1854-1885
On Provost Street (Route 4) at Dalhousie Street, on the right when traveling south on Provost Street.
English: Born and educated in New Glasgow, Cameron, having graduated from the Boston Law School, practiced law in the United States before joining Queen’s University in 1882. The following year he became editor of the Kingston . . . — Map (db m139298) HM
Nova Scotia (Pictou County), New Glasgow — The Beginning of New Glasgow
On Terrace Street north of George Street (Route 4), on the right when traveling north.
was in August 1784 with the arrival from Kirkhill, Inverness-shire, Scotland, of Thomas Fraser (Deacon) 1749 — 1813 who took possession of this land and created from the forest a farm home, the first in that part of the East River Lower . . . — Map (db m139297) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), South Harbour — South Harbour War Memorial
On Cabot Trail at South Ridge Road, on the right when traveling south on Cabot Trail.
In grateful memory of the men who gave their lives in two World Wars 1939-1945 E.J. Cameron D.C. MacDonald T. J. MacDonald R. N. MacInnes H. J. MacLennan C. MacLennan E. MacLennan N. MacLennan J. A. MacNeil 1914-1918 M. . . . — Map (db m139337) WM
Ontario, Ottawa — John Macoun(1831-1920)
Near O'Connor Street (Route 87) at Argyle Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
English: This field naturalist and botanist was the first to survey, document, and categorize Canadian flora in a systematic manner. After Confederation, he travelled west for the Canadian Pacific Railway with surveying parties . . . — Map (db m139504) HM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Cornwall — United Empire Loyalists
On Second Street East at Sydney Street, on the left when traveling east on Second Street East.
English: The United Empire Loyalists played a prominent role in the development of this country. In particular, the officers and men of the Royal Highland Emigrants, the King's Royal Regiment of New York, the Loyal Rangers and the . . . — Map (db m139503) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Havre Saint Pierre
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
Established in 1720, Havre Saint Pierre was once the largest settlement in the colony of Isle Saint Jean. On a summer day in the 1730s this was a busy place. Here - a fleet of tiny shallops, sails snapping as they set out for the . . . — Map (db m139397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Mussel Power/Les moules plus d'une utilité
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
The bottom of the bay is like a giant compost bin. Seaweed and shellfish collect here when they die, and form a thick, black mud. The decomposing shells create high lime content, making "mussel mud” a perfect fertilizer for the . . . — Map (db m139444) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — St. Peters
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
Early British settlers were more interested in farming than in fishing. By the early 1800s, a small village began to grow farther inland. Here the bay was narrow and easily crossed - first by ferry, later by bridge. St. Peters . . . — Map (db m139407) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — Murray Harbour War Memorial
On Main Street (Prince Edward Island Route 18) just north of Cape Bear Road (Prince Edward Island Route 18A), on the right when traveling south.
In grateful tribute to the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice have made Canada great is this shrine dedicated Killed in action or died in service War of 1914-1918 Gordon Mackay Clarence Reynolds . . . — Map (db m139450) WM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Kensington — Kensington Station / Gare de Kensington
On Broadway Street North (Prince Edward Island Route 20) just north of Commercial Street, on the left when traveling north.
English: In 1871 the Colony of Prince Edward Island embarked upon the construction of a circuitous 147-mile railway covering the 120-mile distance between Georgetown and Alberton. The high cost of building the line added . . . — Map (db m139700) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Former Summerside Post Office / L'Ancien Bureau de Poste de Summerside
On Summer Street just north of Fitzroy Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: This structure, built 1883-1886, was designed under the direction of Thomas Fuller who served as Chief Architect of the Department of Public Works from 1881 to 1896. This basic design with a double entrance, steep roof, . . . — Map (db m139466) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — Georgina Fane Pope1862-1938
On Summer Street just south of Fitzroy Street, on the left when traveling south.
English: Born in Charlottetown, Georgina Pope chose nursing as a career. After training and working in the United States, she was selected in 1899 to superintend Canada’s military nurses in the South African War. She was the first . . . — Map (db m139478) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Summerside — The Summerside Armoury
On Summer Street south of Fitzroy Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Summerside Armoury has been a landmark on Summer Street since 1911. An Armoury is a military structure where arms, ammunition and military equipment are stored. It serves as the headquarters for a militia, a volunteer army made up of local . . . — Map (db m139479) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Canoe Cove — Canoe Cove School
On Canoe Cove Road (Prince Edward Island Route 19A) just north of Prince Edward Island Route 19, on the left when traveling north.
The School For more than a century the Canoe Cove School provided state-of-the-art education to students grades one through ten. This sturdy heritage building launched the successful careers of doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, . . . — Map (db m139457) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsHistory of the Cavendish Area/Histoire de la région de Cavendish.
Near Gulf Shore Parkway West.
History of the Cavendish Area. There is archaeological evidence that ancestors of the present-day Mi’kmaq lived on the shores of nearby New London Bay. It is very likely these early Islanders would have travelled here to hunt, . . . — Map (db m139369) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsWreck of the Marco Polo/L'épave du Marco Polo
Near Gulf Shore Parkway West.
25 July, 1883. Thanks to a weekend of violent storms there is a heavy sea running. A few farmers watch with astonishment as a magnificent sailing vessel, driven by a mountain of canvas, slams onto the Cavendish sandbars. The air iš alive . . . — Map (db m139391) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsSea Stories/Légendes de la mer
Near Gulf View Parkway West.
Sea Stories From the first peoples through modern times, the fishery has been vital to the people living along this shore. As Lucy Maud Montgomery remembered: Many of the farmers had a fishing house on the shore field of their . . . — Map (db m139429) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsCavendish and Tourism/Cavendish et le tourisme
Toward the end of the 1800s, Prince Edward Island became known as an excellent vacation spot. Its clean air, rural landscapes and beautiful beaches were offered to travellers made weary by the stress of urban life. By the 1920s, thanks . . . — Map (db m139431) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Port-la-Joye – Fort Amherst
Near Haché Gallant Drive 1.2 kilometers east of Prince Edward Island Route 19, on the left when traveling east.
English: From 1720 to 1768 this site was an important colonial base, first for France and later Great Britain. One of the first permanent French settlements on the island, Port-la-Joye served as the seat of colonial government for . . . — Map (db m139447) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — Survey of Prince Edward Island / Arpentage de Ľîle-du-Prince-Édouard
On Prince Edward Island Route 19 just south of Rogers Passage Lane, on the left when traveling south.
English: In 1764 the British government decided to undertake a systematic survey of its North American territory, recently enlarged in the war with France. For this purpose Captain Samuel Holland was put in charge of the northern . . . — Map (db m139436) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Rocky Point — The Deportation of the Inhabitants of Île Saint-JeanLa Déportation Des Habitants de L’île Saint-Jean
Near Haché Gallant Drive 1.2 kilometers east of Prince Edward Island Route 19, on the left when traveling east.
English: Undertaken here in 1758, this expulsion was one of the largest and the deadliest of the Acadian deportations that took place between 1755 and 1762. As part of a strategy to dismantle the French colony of Île Saint-Jean . . . — Map (db m139446) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Le Siège de Québec, 1759 / The Siege of Québec, 1759
Near Avenue George VI 0.2 kilometers east of Avenue Taché, on the left when traveling west.
Français: Le siège de Québec se déroule du 26 juin au 18 septembre 1759, durant la guerre de Sept Ans. Le 13 septembre, les troupes britanniques sous le major-général James Wolfe vainquent une force composée de militaires . . . — Map (db m139497) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — L'Immigration des Filles du Roi en Nouvelle-France / Immigration of the Filles du Roi to New France
On Rue du Marché-Champlain (Quebec Route 136) at Rue du Cul-de-sac, on the right when traveling west on Rue du Marché-Champlain.
Français: De 1663 à 1673, quelque huit cents filles du roi immigrent en Nouvelle-France dans le but de s’y marier et d’y fonder une famille. Ces Françaises, pour la plupart des orphelins sans le sou, voient leur passage et leur . . . — Map (db m139498) HM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-André — L'Église de Saint-André / The Church of Saint-André
On Rue du Cap just east of Rue Principale (Quebec Route 132), on the left when traveling east.
Français: Cette 'église, construite entre 1805 et 1811 pour remplacer une chapelle datant de 1791, rappelle les églises du Régime français érigées selon le plan récollet. Elle comprend une nef sans transept se terminant sur une . . . — Map (db m139483) HM
Quebec (Kamouraska MRC), Saint-Denis-de-la-Bouteillerie — Jean-Charles Chapais(1811-1885)
On Quebec Route 132 north of Route de la Grève (Quebec Route 287), on the left when traveling north.
Français: Né à Rivière-Ouelle, Chapais s'établit à Saint-Denis, où il devint un marchand prospère et un politicien influent. Il promut activement le développement économique et culturel de sa région natale. Reconnu pour sa . . . — Map (db m139496) HM
Quebec (Témiscouata MRC), Rivière-Bleue — La gare de Rivière-Bleue / The Rivière-Bleue Train Station
On Rue Saint-Joseph Nord (Quebec Route 289) just north of Rue des Loisirs, on the right when traveling north.
Français: La gare de Rivière-Bleue est un vestige patrimonial évoquant le souvenir d'une époque récente dynamique dans l'histoire de la région du Transcontinental. Entre 1908 et 1914, le village de Rivière-Bleue vit à l'heure de . . . — Map (db m139495) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Béal na mBláth — Béal na mBláth Ambush Site
On Local Route L2011 1 kilometer south of Munster Route R585, on the left when traveling south.

Welcome to the Ambush Site at Beal na Blath, where General Michael Collins, "Commander-in-Chief" of The Irish Army, was assassinated on 22nd August 1922.

Michael Collins and his party left Cork City at approximately 6am that . . . — Map (db m139617) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Enniskeane — First Meeting of Ból Chumann na hÉireann(Irish Road Bowling Association)
On Munster Route R588 at Main Street (Munster Route R586), on the left when traveling north on State Route R588.

The first meeting held in Enniskeane on the 22nd Nov. 1954

'Let bowl playing flourish for future generations' — Map (db m139612) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Kilbrittain — Kilbrittain Castle
On Munster Route R603, on the right when traveling north.

Kilbrittain Castle is the oldest inhabited castle in Ireland. The Castle is said to date from 1035 where the original fortress was thought to have been built by Mahon, grandson of Brian Boru. It has been occupied by Irish . . . — Map (db m139602) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Kilbrittain — The Book of Lismore
On Munster Route R603, on the right when traveling north.

THE BOOK OF LISMORE. It is believed that the Book of Lismore was compiled in the 15th Century to commemorate the marriage of the Gaelic lord Finghin Mac Cárthaigh Riabhach, of Kilbrittain Castle, to Caitilín, daughter of the . . . — Map (db m139606) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — ~ The Family ~Spirit of Macroom
On West Square just south of Castle Street (National Route N22), on the left when traveling south.

Commemorating the visit of President Mary Robinson

February 24th 1996 —————————— Commissioned and Unveiled by Dermot Desmond First recipient of The . . . — Map (db m139626) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — 300th Anniversary of the Granting of Market Rights to Macroom Town
On West Square just south of Castle Street (National Route N22), on the left when traveling south.
. . . — Map (db m139642) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — Macroom and the Beautiful Lee ValleyCounty Cork • Ireland
On West Square just north of South Square, on the left when traveling north.

Bealick Mill

This recently restored corn mill, located a short distance outside Macroom on the Coachford road, marks the site of an area and a building of deep historical significance. In 978 Brian Boru defeated the . . . — Map (db m139654) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — Macroom Castle Demesne

History. The first Castle is thought to have been built here in the reign of King John between 1200 and 1250. Macroom Castle was the home of McCarthys, Lord of Muskerry, after the McCarthys displace[d] the O'Flynns, previous . . . — Map (db m139648) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — United Irishmen 1798 - 1803Grateful RemembranceAr dheis Dé raibh a n-anamacha.

CAPTURED BY CROWN FORCES AND

EXECUTED

Ole O'Riordan • Cormac McCarthy • Owen McCarthy Callaghan McCarthy • Timothy McCarthy • John Duggan William Duggan • Owen Scanlan • Timothy Buckley David Breen • Timothy Bohilly • . . . — Map (db m139647) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Macroom — War MemorialFor God and Country
On Castle Street (National Route N22) at West Square, on the left when traveling west on Castle Street.

Erected to the memory of the men of the 7th and 8th Batts Cork No 1 Brigade I.R.A. who fell in . . . — Map (db m139643) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Lusitania Memorial Garden
On Old Head Ring Route, on the right when traveling south.

Lusitania Memorial Garden officially opened by Minister Simon Coveney T.D. in the presence of Cllr. Séamus McGrath Mayor of County Cork.

7th May . . . — Map (db m139595) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Nineteenth Century Ship's Bollard
On Old Head Ring Route, on the right when traveling south.

On the 12th of February 1874, the 500 ton German barque HERCULES von BARTH, was en route from Barrow-in-Furness to Cardiff to collect a cargo of coal. As the result of a storm the ship was driven westward in a strong gale. It . . . — Map (db m139529) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Old Head of Kinsale / An Seancheann
On Old Head Ring Route, on the right when traveling south.

Arrivals and farewells Old Head, legendary seat of the kings of the southern half of Ireland, marks the start or end of many journeys.

[Background map caption reads] The siege and battle of Kinsale, 1601 from the . . . — Map (db m139528) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — R. M. S. Lusitania
On Old Head Ring Route, on the right when traveling south.

In memory of those who sailed on the R. M. S. Lusitania on 7th May 1915. This perforated image has 34,513 holes in 7 different sizes. Manufactured by Graepel Perforators and Weavers Ltd., Kinsale. Donated to . . . — Map (db m139527) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — RMS Lusitania Lifeboat Davitgifted to The Lusitania Museum at the Old Headby Gerry Doyle, his wife Josie and their family —
On Old Head Ring Route, on the right when traveling south.

A VERY SPECIAL AND PERSONAL REQUEST

August 2017 Kilkeel, Newry, Co Down

Dear Mr Hannaway, I am writing this letter to you personally, in the hope that the matter in question can be dealt with promptly and a . . . — Map (db m139562) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Cork), Old Head — Triangulation PillarGrid Reference No W624409
On Old Head Ring Route, on the right when traveling south.

A handcast concrete pillar tapering to a flat top Part of a network of surveying stations used by Ordinance [sic - Ordnance] Survey Ireland for mapping Erected 1959 — Map (db m139559) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kenmare — Fair GreenKenmare Heritage Town
On The Square (National Route N71) just north of Henry Street, on the right when traveling north.

Although there had been a settlement of English colonists in Kenmare since 1670 it was not until a century later that the foundations of the present estate town were laid. This was done by William Petty-Fitzmaurice, the 1st Marquis of . . . — Map (db m139672) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kenmare — James Joyce Pub AwardThe Atlantic Bar
On The Square (National Route N71) just north of Henry Street, on the left when traveling north.

This pub has been granted the James Joyce Pub Award for being an authentic Irish pub

'A good puzzle would be to cross Ireland without passing a pub.' Ulysses

James Joyce identified and described the . . . — Map (db m139755) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kenmare — Kenmare Heritage Town
On The Square (National Route N71), on the left when traveling north.

Early History Stone circles, standing stones and rock art are common around Kenmare. These archaeological sites indicate humans have lived here from the Bronze Age (c.2200-500BC). But it was the upheavals of 17th century Ireland . . . — Map (db m139761) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kenmare — The Market HouseKenmare Heritage Town
On The Square (National Route N71), on the right when traveling south.

The Market House - This three storey Classical style building was designed by renowned English architect Sir Charles Barry for the 3rd Marquis of Lansdowne. Barry (1795-1860) was a prominent architect of his time. Probably his most . . . — Map (db m139774) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kenmare — War of Independence1919-1921 — Kenmare Heritage Town —
On The Square (National Route N71) just north of Henry Street, on the right when traveling north.

In onóir gaisigh Óglaigh na hÉireann agus laochra Cumann na mBan a throid ar son Saoirse na hÉireann a tógadh an leacht chuimhneacháin seo.

Erected in honour of the men of Óglaigh na hÉireann and the women of . . . — Map (db m139673) HM WM

Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — A Bit Hilani Type PalaceTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Near Northern District Route 888 just north of Northern District Route 87, on the left when traveling north.
English Text: This spacious palace faced a paved courtyard that led to the city gate. Its wide entrance opened into a vestibule and it had a throne hall surrounded by eight service chambers. This palace is of Neo-Hittite . . . — Map (db m139345) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Inner City GateTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Near Northern District Route 888 north of Northern District Route 87, on the left when traveling north.
English Text: The inner city gate includes four chambers, two on each side. In this chamber vessels for offerings at the high places were kept. The other three chambers served as granaries. The city gate was destroyed by the . . . — Map (db m139336) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — Sacrificial High PlaceTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
On Route 888 just north of Northern District Route 87, on the left when traveling north.
English Text: The inhabitants of the kingdom of Geshur were Aramaens and the high places and ritual objects reflect their religion. On the sacrificial high place were found fragments of basins, horned altars, and an incised . . . — Map (db m139343) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — StreetTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Near Route 888 just north of Route 87, on the left when traveling north.
Whenever he went, to village or town or farm, they laid the sick in the streets and begged him to let them simply touch the edge of his cloak; and all who touched him were healed. Mark 6:56Map (db m139383) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Fisherman HouseTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Near Northern District Route 888 north of Northern District Route 87, on the left when traveling north.
Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee when he saw Simon and his brother Andrew at work with casting-nets in the lake; for they were fishermen. Jesus said to them, 'Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' At once they left . . . — Map (db m139366) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Had Nes — The Winegrower HouseTel Beit Tsaida — Bethsaida —
Near Route 888 just north of Route 87, on the left when traveling north.
English Text: Wine is like life to men, if you drink it in moderation. What is life to a man who is without wine? It has been created to make men glad. Sirach 31:27Map (db m139374) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Baptistery — Kursi —
Near Northern District Route 92 0.08 kilometers south of Northern District Route 789, on the left when traveling south.
English Text: In the time of the most God - beloved Stephanos the priest and abbot was made the mosaic of the Photisterion in the month of December fourth indiction in the time of the pious and Christ - beloved our King Mauricius . . . — Map (db m139423) HM
Israel, Northern District (Golan Regional Council), Ramot — Kursi
Near Northern District Route 92 at Route 789 when traveling south.
Kursi, east of the Sea of Galilee, is identified with Gergessa, or with "the Land of the Gardarenes," of the New testament, where the miracle of the swine took place. (Luke 8:26-39) There were three main periods of settlement at Kursi: . . . — Map (db m139392) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 12-inch Cannon
On Molino del Rey just south of Fernando Alencastre, on the left when traveling south.
Cañón de 12 pulgadas Descripción Pieza de bronce y de fabricación estadounidense, utilizada por el ejército contra fortificaciones y tropas, este tipo de cañones se utilizaron por primera vez en la guerra de independencia de los . . . — Map (db m139640) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 24-pounder Cannon
On Molino del Rey just south of Fernando Alencastre, on the left when traveling south.
Cañón Largo de 24 libras Descripción Fue empleado entre los siglos XVII y XVIII, conocido como cañon de sitio o de plaza; por sus características para atacar fortificaciones, considerado entonces como el más potente. Los proyectiles . . . — Map (db m139641) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — 24-pounder Gribeauval Cannon
On Molino del Rey just south of Fernando Alencastre, on the left when traveling south.
Cañón de 24 libras Gribeauval Descripción Pieza de artillería de campaña de diseño frances, el cual fue desarrollado por el gral. francés Jean Baptiste Vaquette de Gribeauval. En el ejército, era traccionado en carruajes ligeros y con . . . — Map (db m139655) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Captains Gustavo Garmendia and Federico Montes
On Molino del Rey just east of Fernando Alencastre, on the right when traveling east.
El Estado Mayor Presidencial, conmemora “100 Años de la Lealtad Institucional” y rinde un homenaje a la valentía de los: Capitanes Gustavo Garmendia y Federico Montes, quienes el 18 de febrero de 1913 en el Salon de . . . — Map (db m139557) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Carronade
On Molino del Rey just south of Fernando Alencastre, on the left when traveling south.
Carronada Descripcion Pieza corta de artillería naval que tuvo su apogeo a finales del siglo XVIII, construida en bronce, cañón disenado por el General Robert Melville y fundido en Carrón (Escocia). Fue empleado por fuerzas del . . . — Map (db m139610) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Fallen Mexican Officers of the Battle of Molino del ReyOficiales Caídos en la Batalla del Molino del Rey
Near Molino del Rey 0.1 kilometers east of Fernando Alencastre, on the right when traveling east.
1847 – 8 de septiembre. – 1925 En este lugar ofrendaron su vida por la patria defendiendo su soberanía contra el invasor. Los CC..- Gral. de Div. Antonio León. Gral. Corl. Lucas Balderas; Corls Gregorio Gelati, Juan . . . — Map (db m139594) WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Fountain of the Frogs
On Avenida Heróico Colegio Militar just east of Calzada Mahatma Gandhi, on the right when traveling east.
Fuente de las Ranas Esta fuente es una réplica de la existente en el parque María Luisa de Sevilla, España. Fue hecha en 1920 por la Casa Montealbán de Cerámica, de Barrio de Triana de esa ciudad, por encargo del licenciado Miguel . . . — Map (db m139644) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Molino del Rey
On Molino del Rey just east of Fernando Alencastre, on the left when traveling east.
Molino del Rey El Molino del Rey se construyó a finales del siglo XVI bajo el nombre de Molinos de "El Salvador" y fue originalmente destinado a la fabricación de harina. El área donde se edificó era conocida entonces como las Lomas . . . — Map (db m139365) HM WM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — The Santa Fe Aqueduct
On Molino del Rey just east of Fernando Alencastre, on the right when traveling east.
Acueducto "Santa Fe” Data del siglo XVI, construido por disposición del Virrey Martín Enríquez Almanza, para abastecer agua desde Santa Fe hasta Chapultepec, fue considerada una importante obra de ingeniería hidráulica . . . — Map (db m139601) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Dr. Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda
On Route 57 just north of Libramiento de Acambay, in the median.
Dr. Maximiliano Ruiz Castañeda 5 de diciembre de 1898 – 1 de octubre de 1992 Médico investigador, académico y político acambayense; colaboró con el doctor Hans Zinsser en la Universidad de Harvard para elaborar la vacuna contra . . . — Map (db m139550) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Execution of Lindoro Cajiga
Near Dr. Ruiz Castañeda just west of 16 de Septiembre, on the right when traveling west.
El 25 de diciembre de 1861 fue fusilado en Acambay, Lindoro Cajiga, captor de don Melchor Ocampo. Fue colgado su cadáver en este árbol para hacer justicia al sacrificio de este mártir de la Reforma. Patrimonio Cultural del . . . — Map (db m139469) HM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Mexican Independence, Revolution and Acambay Earthquake
On Hidalgo just north of Dr. Ruiz Castañeda, on the right when traveling north.
Honorable Ayuntamiento Constitucional de Acambay 2009-2012, en testimonio a la conmemoración del Bicentenario del inicio de la Independencia de México 1810-1910 Centenario del inicio de la Revolución Mexicana 1910-2010 Centenario del . . . — Map (db m139555) HM WM
Mexico, Estado de Mexico (Municipality of Acambay), Acambay — Otomíes of Acambay
On Avenida Constitución just north of Benito Juárez, on the left when traveling north.
Homenaje a los otomíes de Acambay que en mayo de 1848 fueron reprimidos al asociarce para pugnar por el mejoramiento de la raza indígena. Patrimonio Cultural del Edo. de México, 1978. ***** English . . . — Map (db m139546) HM
Alabama (Cherokee County), Leesburg — Round Mountain Iron Furance
On County Route 48 0.2 miles south of County Route 600, on the left when traveling south.
(side 1)Map (db m139401) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Antioch — 932 — Mount Diablo Coal Field
On Somersville Road, in the median.
From 1860 to 1906, this area was the largest coal mining district in California. Five towns (Nortonville, Somersville, Stewartville, Judsonville and West Hartley) grew up around twelve major mines. Today the towns are gone. The buildings having been . . . — Map (db m139449) HM
California (Humboldt County), Ferndale — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse LensesHumboldt County Fair
On 5th Street near Van Ness Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
The 780 prisms and fresnel lenses in this replica of the original Cape Mendocino Light House were hand ground in France, shipped around Cape Horn and originally place in operation at Cape Mendocino in 1868. The entire mechanical gear and prisms . . . — Map (db m139526) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Early Agricultural Use of the Bottomlands
Near Eel River Drive near Hookton Road.
These historic images represent an earlier time when the low-lying wetlands and salt marshes around Humboldt Bay and the lower Eel River valley were largely drained and converted to agricultural uses. Under the congressional Swamp and . . . — Map (db m139531) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — Historic Hunting on the, Refuge and Humboldt Bay
Near Eel River Drive near Hookton Road.
Waterfowl hunting was a primary recreational activity on Humboldt Bay from the early 1900s to the 1970s, and remains popular today. During the duck season, members of the Humboldt Fish and Game Club would meet at the hunt cabin on the . . . — Map (db m139549) HM
California (Humboldt County), Loleta — History of the McBride Ranch
Near Eel River Drive near Hookton Road.
Hard work and perseverance created a family business that lasted generations In 1850, Joseph and Zipporah Russ moved to Humboldt County from Maine to start a cattle and sheep ranch. The main buildings were built between 1915 and 1925 and . . . — Map (db m139548) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — A New Home!Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse
On Lighthouse Road near Bay Street.
The Trinidad Memorial Lighthouse is one of the most iconic landmarks on the North Coast and a beloved, historical symbol of the Trinidad community. The structure was built in 1949 as a replica of the original 1871 Trinidad Lighthouse, which remains . . . — Map (db m139525) HM
California (Humboldt County), Trinidad — Spain Claims Northern California
Near Lighthouse Road.
"Carolus III. Dei G. Hyspaniarum Rex" June, 9 1775 Replaced by Club Women of Humboldt Co. Sept. 9, 1913 — Map (db m139523) HM
California (Kern County), Bakersfield — We Shall Never Forget
On Buena Vista Drive, on the right when traveling south.
This memorial site is erected and dedicated by the members of the Bakersfield Fire Department and our many supporting community partners, on this eleventh day of September, in the year two-thousand and sixteen A.D., on behalf of the citizens of . . . — Map (db m139587) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 156 — Fire Station No. 1
On Pasadena Avenue at Avenue 23, on the right when traveling east on Pasadena Avenue.
Built by United States Work Projects Administration, 1940. Fire Station No. 1, Streamline Moderne style. Architects — Public Works Administration. Declared 1976. Built 1940. Historic-Cultural Monument No. 156. — Map (db m134911) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam
Near San Francisquito Canyon Road 9 miles north of Copper Hill Road, on the right when traveling north.
The St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12⅓ billion gallons of water roaring down . . . — Map (db m139381) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
Near San Francisquito Canyon Road 0.3 miles south of San Francisquito Motorway. Reported missing.
On this site in August of 1924 construction started on the St. Francis Dam, a unit of the Los Angeles Aqueduct. When it was completed in May of 1926, this concrete dam stood 185 feet above the stream bed, impounding a 610 surface-acre lake. . . . — Map (db m139380) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site
On San Francisquito Canyon Road 9 miles north of Copper Hill Road, on the right when traveling north.
The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water . . . — Map (db m139382) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Universal City — Alfred Hitchcock
Near Universal Hollywood Drive 0.5 miles east of Lankershim Boulevard.
Film Director Alfred Hitchcock was the undisputed Master of Suspense and his legacy is an integral part of Universal's history. His classic films include The Birds, Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Strangers . . . — Map (db m139440) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Phelan — 576 — Santa Fe and Salt Lake Trail1849
On Wagon Train Road 0.5 miles south of California Route 138, on the right when traveling south.
Erected in honor of the brave pioneers of California in 1917 by pioneers Sheldon Stoddard, Sydney F. Waite, John Brown Jr., George Miller, George M. Cooley, Silas C. Cox, Richard Weir, Jasper N. Corbett — Map (db m139653) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NCC-245 — New London Road Community-(NCC-245)
On New London Road at Cleveland Avenue on New London Road.
The African American New London Road community can be traced back to 1786 when free black families began settling in the area. The community clustered around New London Road and was bounded by Cleveland Avenue to the south and Corbit and Ray Streets . . . — Map (db m139544) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Battle of Cooch’s Bridge
On Dayetts Mill Road at Old Baltimore Pike on Dayetts Mill Road.
On 3 September 1777, approximately 800 Americans forming the “Special Corps” of Brigadier General William Maxwell engaged several thousand Hessian and Anspack “Jagers” (light infantry) and British light infantry in the . . . — Map (db m139667) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — The Hundreds of Delaware
On Dayetts Mill Road at Old Baltimore Pike on Dayetts Mill Road.
What is a Hundred? A hundred is an old English subdivision of a county. Although the origin is somewhat shrouded in mystery, basically it was a tract of land large enough to provide a hundred men to serve the king’s wars. In American colonies that . . . — Map (db m139668) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — SC-271 — Israel United Methodist Church
On Plantation Road (Delaware Route 9).
In 1840, Israel United Methodist Church formed in the Belltown community west of Lewes. Israel established a cemetery in 1854 and formally incorporated in 1877. The congregation rebuilt the church in 1890 and again in 1916. Over time, the 1916 . . . — Map (db m139574) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Peter Perkins Pitchlynn(Ha-tchoo-tuc-knee)
Near E Street SE at Potomac Avenue SE, on the right when traveling east.
Choctaw Chief—Diplomat—Education Leader Born January 30, 1896 Died January 17, 1881 • Principal Chief, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma 1864-1866 • Tribal Commissioner for land claims against the U.S. Government (1853-61 — . . . — Map (db m139480) HM
District of Columbia, Washington — Congressional Cemetery Government Lots
Near Potomac Avenue SE at E Street SE, on the right when traveling east.
Civil War Washington City Over the course of the Civil War, the nation's capital was transformed. The dignified government city Pierre Charles L' Enfant laid out in 1791 was hardened into a sprawling military center. Encircled by strong . . . — Map (db m139512) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — IFAS
Near McCarty Drive 0.1 miles west of Newell Drive.
In commemoration of the Bicentennial Year of the United States of America, this plaque is dedicated to the faculty and staff of the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences who since 1884 have served Florida and its . . . — Map (db m135962) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — "The People"
On Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the left.
The canyon before you was once traversed by Native Americans making their way from camps on the bluffs where they prepared grass seeds for flour. At the Snake River's Salmon Falls, about one-half mile behind you, they fished with traps, hooks, and . . . — Map (db m139607) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — A Changing Climate
Near Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the right when traveling west.
Idaho was a very different place during the Pliocene Epoch (three to four million years ago). Like much of the planet, this area was warmer and more humid, with annual rain fall of 20 inches. Studies of ancient pollen found in the sand and clay . . . — Map (db m139552) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Ancient Lakes
Near Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the right when traveling west.
Can you find traces of the three ancient lakes that helped form Hagerman Valley and preserved the fossils found here? The first, known as Lake Idaho, covered most of present-day southwestern Idaho about three to eight million years ago. Over time, . . . — Map (db m139556) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Hagerman Sheep Monument
On South 950 East at North State Street on South 950 East.
Two related panels are found at the monument: Between the close of the Civil War and the end of World War I the sheep industry played a major role in southern Idaho history. During the Civil War, precious metals were discovered in the . . . — Map (db m139615) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Manifest Destiny
Near Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the left when traveling west.
It is ... our manifest destiny to overspread and to possess the whole of the continent which Providence has given us for the development of the great experiment of liberty." John L. O'Sullivan, columnist, New York Morning News, . . . — Map (db m139613) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Right Beneath Your Feet
Near Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the left when traveling west.
A trained eye, persistence - and a good deal of luck - often lead paleontologist to new fossil discoveries. New fossil localities are discovered every year. Currently Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument monitors over 600 fossil bearing . . . — Map (db m139609) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Sediments and Fossils
Near Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the right when traveling west.
The rock layers in the bluff across the river are made of sediments - particles of sand, silt, and clay. These layers, called strata, were carried here by the ancient Snake River and were deposited as the river entered an ancient lake. This process . . . — Map (db m139554) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — The Great Westward Migration
On Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the left when traveling west.
Never in history had so many moved voluntarily over such a distance. Look at the wagon wheel ruts in front of you. During the Great Western Migration more than 400,000 people packed up their goods and dreams and headed out over wagon roads like . . . — Map (db m139608) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Volcanoes Along the SnakeLava Landscape
Near Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the left when traveling west.
The features before you testify to a fiery volcanic past. Distant hills, called buttes, are actually "shield" volcanoes. Named for their shape, these shield volcanoes formed when lava flowed from cracks, or vents, in the earth's crust. Over the past . . . — Map (db m139611) HM
Idaho (Gooding County), Hagerman — Where are the Fossils?
On Bell Rapids Road near Upper Salmon Falls Road, on the right when traveling west.
Step back in time, three to four million years, and imagine a place were zebra-like horses, ground sloths, mastodons, and other amazing creatures roamed. Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument is filled with fossil evidence of their existence in . . . — Map (db m139551) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — John Mason Peck
On College Avenue (Illinois Route 140), on the right when traveling west.
On this site in 1831, John Mason Peck (1789-1858), pioneer Baptist preacher, author, and educator, established the school which became Shurtleff College. In 1817, Peck had left his home in New England with a vision "to bring the lamp of learning and . . . — Map (db m139658) HM
Illinois (Madison County), East Alton — Wann Railroad Disaster
On North Shamrock Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Wann Disaster of January 21, 1893, is Madison County’s most horrific railroad tragedy. It caused the greatest loss of life and cases of personal injury in a single incident. The accident occurred at the Wann Junction on the Big Four Railroad, . . . — Map (db m139657) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Venice — Main Street of America ran right through Venice1926-1936 — The McKinley Bridge - First Route 66 path across the mighty Mississippi River —
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
From Chicago to Los Angeles, Route 66 was routed over the streets of cities and towns both large and small. Thus its nickname "The Main Street of America." In Illinois, the first state to have all of Route 66 paved, the infamous highway was routed . . . — Map (db m139428) HM
Indiana (Randolph County), Union City — IHB 68.201 — Union Literary Institute
On Stingley Rd (County Route 600 S) at South Arba Pike (County Route 850 E), on the right when traveling east on Stingley Rd.
Union Literary Institute was one of the first schools to offer higher education without regard to color or sex before the Civil War. It was established in 1846 by a biracial board, including free blacks from nearby settlements. At the . . . — Map (db m139553) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Early Masonic Hall
On Old National Road (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west.
Webb Lodge No. 24, established in 1823, leased the second floor of this building owned by Israel Abrahams, Centerville merchant, and met alternately here and at Richmond until 1827. Hiram Lodge No. 42 also met here, 1846. erected by the . . . — Map (db m139260) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Honor RollWorld War I
On North Morton Avenue at Plum Street, on the right when traveling north on North Morton Avenue.
Honor Roll erected in honor of the men of Center Twp. Wayne Co., Ind. who answered their country’s call to serve for God and humanity in the World War 1917- 1918 by the War Mothers and Citizens of this Twp. (94 names, 1 killed in action, 3 . . . — Map (db m139262) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — Mansion House
On Old National Road (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling west.
The Mansion House Historic National Road Tavern Built 1837 Presented to The Wayne County, Indiana, Historical Society January 1967 by Lola C. Beckett who also gave her extensive collection of regional antiquities, gathered with . . . — Map (db m139311) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Historic National RoadThe Road That Built the Nation
On Old National Road (U.S. 40) at Industrial Parkway, on the left when traveling west on Old National Road.
Side A An Important Road The National Road is a true American icon, conceived by George Washington, authorized by Thomas Jefferson, and traveled by Abraham Lincoln.

In 1806 construction of the National Road was approved by the US . . . — Map (db m139348) HM

Indiana (Wayne County), Richmond — Historic National RoadThe Road That Built the Nation
On Old National Road (U.S. 40) at 22nd Street, on the right when traveling west on Old National Road.
Side A Standing Tall Dedicated on October 28, 1928, this Madonna statue is a tribute to the pioneering spirit of women.

In 1911 the Daughters of the American Revolution proposed a “model highway” from Washington, DC, to . . . — Map (db m139349) HM

Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 1139 — County Named, 1801
On Greensburg Street (Kentucky Route 439) at Public Square, on the left when traveling south on Greensburg Street. Reported missing.
For Gen. John Adair, Governor of Kentucky 1820-24. Born, 1757, in South Carolina, came to Ky., 1788. Member of Kentucky Constitutional Convention, 1792. Served in Ky. House of Representatives, 1793-95, 1798, 1800-03, 1817. US Senator, 1805-06, . . . — Map (db m139816) HM
Kentucky (Jefferson County), Louisville — Lincoln Memorial — Louisville, Kentucky —
On East River Road at E Witherspoon Street, on the right when traveling east on East River Road.
( first panel ) Abraham Lincoln, his hand and pen He will be good but God knows when. Abraham Lincoln, ca. 1826-26 Abraham Lincoln was born February 12, 1809, near Hodgenville, Kentucky. The Commonwealth of Kentucky dedicates this . . . — Map (db m139475) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — An African American Neighborhood
On College Street at East 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on College Street.
Generations Lived, Worked and Worshipped Here A sizeable African American population lived for generations in this immediate vicinity. Until the late 1960s, African Americans were often relegated to live in predetermined areas and sometimes . . . — Map (db m139387) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Barr BuildingHistory
On East Main Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Constructed between 1891 and 1895, this two story Italianate building features a highly decorative iron clad façade. The cornice is highlighted by bulls-eye motifs and brackets and two oriel windows framed by fluted pilasters creating one of the . . . — Map (db m139231) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Bowling Green - Warren CountyBicentennial — 1797 ~ 1997 —
On East 10th Avenue at College Street, on the left when traveling north on East 10th Avenue.
Bicentennial time capsule placed in the lawn of the Warren County Courthouse on March 7, 1998. To be opened March 7, 2098 by the governments of Bowling Green & Warren County. (reverse) Warren County, the 24th county formed in Kentucky, . . . — Map (db m139488) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Cecelia Memorial Presbyterian Church
On College Street, on the right when traveling east.
History The Cecelia Memorial Presbyterian Church is one of the oldest church buildings in Warren County. It was built in 1847 for the First Christian Church in the Greek Revival style. In 1897 it was sold to the Negro Cumberland Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m139443) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — College Street Commercial Development
On College Street at E 6th Avenue, on the left when traveling east on College Street.
Until the early 1940s, the College Street Bridge was the chief entrance to Bowling Green from the Barren River’s northern short.

A Lively Commercial Corridor As one of the city’s main corridors, College Street boasted a number of . . . — Map (db m139384) HM

Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Getty BuildingHistory
On East Main Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
This three story building, featuring a limestone facade with a cast iron store front, was constructed in 1871 by John Getty to house a dry goods store. After being sold to Getty's nephew, Cuthbertson, and then to the Nahm Brothers, it was the . . . — Map (db m139234) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Lower College Street
On State Street, on the right when traveling east.
College Street was a major transportation artery into the city of Bowling Green and it was lined with an eclectic mix of businesses, residences, churches, and light industry. Two influential African American women, Cecelia Lillard and Ora Frances . . . — Map (db m139442) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Modern Automotive District
On East 7th Street at State Street, on the right when traveling north on East 7th Street.
The Nation Embraces the Automobile Automobile travel swept Bowling Green and the rest of the nation during the 1920s. Drivers enjoyed the freedom of traveling by car on the Dixie highway from Michigan to Florida. People stopped in Bowling . . . — Map (db m139385) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Residential Architecture
On College Street at E 6th Avenue, on the left when traveling east on College Street.
This immediate area was chiefly residential with commercial properties primarily located on College and Adams Streets. Sandwiched between those two major streets was a neighborhood, a place that people called home. The variety of houses built here . . . — Map (db m139386) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Standard Filling Station No. 1
On East 7th Street at College Street, on the right when traveling north on East 7th Street.
On July 18, 1921, Standard Oil of Kentucky purchased this lot to construct Residential Filling Station No. 1. It was most likely the first filling station in the area. Standard Oil built a second station No. 2 at the corner of 12th and High Street. . . . — Map (db m139389) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — Warren County CourthouseHistory
On East 10th Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
The Warren County Courthouse was erected 1867-1869 at a cost of $125,000. Designed by architect D.J. Williams, the structure incorporates elements from the Greek Revival and Italianate architectural styles. This was the third courthouse for . . . — Map (db m139240) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Oil City — Huddie "Leadbelly" Ledbetter
On Williamson Parkway west of State Highway 1, on the left when traveling west.
Blues singer from Mooringsport, La. (1888-1949). He played 12 string guitar on Shreveport's Fannin St., sang his way out of prison, and became a folk hero with songs like "Goodnight Irene," "Bourgeois Blues", and "Midnight Special". — Map (db m139521) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Chamber PlazaHistoric Site — Shreveport —
On Edwards Street south of Travis Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built 1922, under the administration of Mayor John McWilliams Ford, to house Shreve Memorial Library. Designed by J. P. Annan in style of Roman Villa. Remained in use as central public library for over half a century. — Map (db m139538) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Confederate Navy Yard
On North Market Street north of Airport Drive, in the median.
One block west near mouth of Cross Bayou at Red River the ironclad Missouri and ram Webb built. Missouri armored with railroad iron, In 1863 Webb fought U.S.S. Indianola near Vicksburg. Missouri was surrendered . . . — Map (db m139539) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Cross BayouHistoric Site — Shreveport —
On North Market Street (U.S. 71) near Airport Drive, on the right when traveling south.
One of Shreveport's most historic waterways, Cross Bayou is spanned by the old KCS Railroad Bridge, one of only two surviving examples of the Waddell A-Truss bridge design in America. On the south bank of Cross Bayou was the Confederate Navy Yard . . . — Map (db m139540) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Old Municipal BuildingHistoric Site — Shreveport —
On Cotton Street west of Mc Neil Street, on the right when traveling west.
Built 1924 to house Police department and City Court. Excellent example of early 20th century Neo-Classic/Federal architecture. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1982. — Map (db m139543) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Soul MenReleased 2008 — Shreveport/Bossier Film Location —
On Crockett Street east of Louisiana Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
In October of 1923, construction began on a 2,500 seat opera house and movie theater that would become known as The Strand. It was funded by the Saenger Brothers and the Ehrlich Brothers who went on to own 320 theaters throughout the south. Of all . . . — Map (db m139605) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — World's First Shriners Hospital
On Samford Avenue at Kings Highway, on the right when traveling south on Samford Avenue.
Established on this site September 16, 1922, Shriners Hospitals for Children in Shreveport became the world's first Shriners Hospital. In 1986, the original building was replaced with a new facility. From its beginnings in Shreveport, Shriners . . . — Map (db m139582) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — A Firefighters’ Memorial
On Clipper Park Road.
In Memory of Eric Dorian Schaefer, a member of Rescue Company 1, John F. Steadman Fire Station, killed in the line of duty on September 16, 1995, and to all the firefighters who fought the Clipper Mill fire. The Clipper Mill campus, where new . . . — Map (db m139637) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Meadow MillHistoric Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley.
On Clipper Mill Road.
Meadow Mill was built by industrialist William E. Hooper in 1877 during one of the most prosperous periods for industry in the Jones Falls Valley. Designed by architect Reuben Gladfelter, it represented the finest of Baltimore mill design. A . . . — Map (db m138738) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mill No. 1Historic Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley
On Falls Road (Maryland Route 25).
Mill No. 1 sits on the site of Laurel Mill, a late 18th century flour mill originally owned by prominent businessman and abolitionist Elisha Tyson. In 1849, the newly chartered Mount Vernon Company built a textile mill on the site. Mill No. 1 stood . . . — Map (db m138740) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Poole & Hunt Foundry and Machine WorksHistoric Sites of Industry In the Jones Falls Valley
On Clipper Park Road.
The Poole & Hunt Foundry and Machine Works was established here and manufactured some of the most impressive machinery of the period. A year into establishing the site, the company was manufacturing the east iron columns for the peristyle of the . . . — Map (db m139650) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — None — Just Government League
On Maryland Route 31 near Maryland Route 140.
Established in 1909, became largest organization in Maryland advocating for women’s suffrage. Local chapters were founded throughout the state including in Westminster in 1913. By 1915 statewide membership numbered 17,000. The League’s campaign . . . — Map (db m139586) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Barnesville — Barnesville StationDedicated October 8, 1977
Near Beallsville Road (Maryland Route 109).
Built About 1930 As The First Metering Station For The Washington Area Gas Supply, This Building Was Saved From Imminent Destrution By Concerned Citizens Dedicated To Both The Preservation Of Visible Past And The Revitalization Of The Railroad. On . . . — Map (db m139638) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery Avenue and Washington StreetLost Rockville - 1801 to 1850
On Washington Street north of E. Montgomery Avenue (Courthouse Square), on the right when traveling north. Reported permanently removed.
Rockville grew from a convenient crossroads meeting place in the 1750s to become the legal and market center of the county. The tiny village was selected as the seat of local government in 1776 for its central location and the presence of taverns . . . — Map (db m138805) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), Naubinway — 258 — The Northernmost Point of Lake Michigan
Near U.S. 2 1.1 miles east of Beach Road.
About a mile west of here is the northernmost point of Lake Michigan. This geographical location is of historical importance because the act of Congress which created the territory of Michigan in 1805 used it to mark the western boundary of this new . . . — Map (db m139339) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Ancient Anishinabe Path / Gete Anishinaabek Miikaan
On U.S. 2 0.2 miles east of Old Portage Road, on the left when traveling west.
Ancient Anishinabe Path The route that U.S. 2 follows today has served as an important transportation corridor from the earliest inhabitants of the Michigan Peninsulas to the present. When the Federal Highway System was established . . . — Map (db m139359) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Civilian Conservation Corps
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) at Central Hill, on the right when traveling north.
By the 1930's, most of the Eastern Upper Peninsula's virgin forest had fallen under the axe and saw of the early loggers. Fires further ravaged the cut-over areas, leaving a barren landscape. Timber production plummeted just as the whole country . . . — Map (db m139675) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Commercial Fishing
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of East Goudreau Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The history of the Straits has always been interwoven with the fishing resources of the Great Lakes. The abundant stocks of fish were a food staple for the native people and early European traders and settlers. Commercial fishing expanded . . . — Map (db m139547) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Diving into History
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75), on the right when traveling north.
Strewn across the bottomlands of East Moran Bay, particularly off this beach, are fascinating artifacts discarded from canoes, schooners, and steamboats for more than 300 years. Commerial vessels—from Indian and French canoes to modern . . . — Map (db m139693) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Father Marquette Park Kiosk
On Marquette Street at North State Street (Business Interstate 75), on the right when traveling west on Marquette Street.
The Jesuits Black Robes of the Wilderness In the 17th century the Society of Jesus (The Jesuits) sent missionaries to the far reaches of Asia, Africa, and the Americas. The Roman Catholic order was founded in 1537 by the Basque priest, . . . — Map (db m139445) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 98 — Fort de Buade
On North State Street (Business Interstate 75) at East Goudreau Street, on the left when traveling north on North State Street.
This fort was built by the French near here within a decade after Marquette had established his mission in 1671. Its name was that of the family of Frontenac, the French Governor for North America. Until Detroit was founded in 1701, this was the . . . — Map (db m139604) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — France at Mackinac
On South State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of McCann Street, on the right when traveling north.
The French Come to the Straits The Straits of Mackinac has been a gathering place for hundreds of years. An abundance of whitefish, lake trout and sturgeon attracted Native people who established seasonal villages on Mackinac and Bois Blanc . . . — Map (db m139634) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Grave of Father Marquette
On Marquette Street at North State Street (Business Interstate 75), on the right when traveling west on Marquette Street.
(Translation of Latin Text on Monument) In Memorium Erected by the citizens of St. Ignace in 1882, this monument marks the grave of Rev. Father James Marquette, S.J., who died on the eighteenth day of May, 1675, at the age of thirty . . . — Map (db m139394) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Huron Indians at St. Ignace
On Marquette Street west of North State Street (Business Interstate 75), on the right when traveling west.
Some of the Hurons, who were driven from Ontario and the East by hostile Iroquois, finally found refuge in 1671 beside Marquette's new St. Ignace Mission. (Also called Huron Mission). They remained here with the French and Ottawas until 1701, when . . . — Map (db m139395) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Knights of Columbus Plaque
On North State Street (Business Interstate 75) at Marquette Street, on the left when traveling north on North State Street.
This church building, constructed in 1837, still stands because of the foresight and commitment of the St. Ignace Knights of Columbus. Originally built on South State Street, the Old Mission Church served St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Parish for . . . — Map (db m139470) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mackinaw Boat
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of Central Hill, on the right when traveling north.
The Mackinaw Boat was a unique design of Great Lakes vessel developed by the French and based on the Indian design of the Birch Bark Canoe. It was characterized by identical tapered pointed ends, high sides, narrow beam and gaff-rigged sails. . . . — Map (db m139662) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mackinaw BoatEdith Jane
On North State Street (Business Interstate 75) at Central Hill, on the right when traveling north on North State Street.
The loose term "Mackinaw Boat" originally referred to any small sailing craft used in the Straits of Mackinac. The rather flat bottom and shallow draft allowed Mackinaw Boats to be pulled up on the beach, making them an ideal work boat when . . . — Map (db m139665) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Michilimackinac Cove
On North State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of Marquette Street, on the right when traveling north.
Famous landing place for 17th century adventurers, explorers, voyageurs, traders, coureurs de bois, soldiers and missionaries, who followed Indian routes to this shore; — Brule, Nicolet, Dablon, Marquette, Perrot, Jolliet, La Salle, Hennepin, . . . — Map (db m139461) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Mooring FacilitiesSt. Ignace Downtown History
Near North State Street, on the right when traveling north.
The four large cylinder shaped structures that you see in place out in the bay are called "mooring dolphins". A dolphin is "a man-made marine structure that extends above the water level and is not connected to shore". These particular dolphins . . . — Map (db m139691) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Native American Land Losses
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) south of East Goudreau Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Man, in search of game, first entered North America during the Ice Age by crossing the Bering land bridge that once linked present-day Siberia and Alaska. Beginning about 9,000 B.C., melting glaciers raised the sea level 300 feet, flooding the . . . — Map (db m139661) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Old Mill Slip
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of East Goudreau Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Michigan's huge, untouched forests once seemed inexhaustible. Virgin White Pine often were over 5 feet in diameter and 200 feet tall. The lumber era boomed in Michigan between 1880 and 1900. Giant trees were cut in winter and floated to . . . — Map (db m139603) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — People and the Great Lakes
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) east of East Truckey Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Past 10,000 years ago the last Pleistocene glacier retreated across this region, leaving behind the Great Lakes and their drainage basin. The first human inhabitants arrived soon thereafter, living off abundant game, fertile soil and . . . — Map (db m139794) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — 92 — St. Ignace Mission
On North State Street (Business Interstate 75) at Marquette Street, on the left when traveling north on North State Street.
In 1671 the mission of St. Ignace was established so that the Christian message could be brought to several thousand Indians living on this shore. The founder was Father Jacques Marquette, the Jesuit missionary. In 1673 he left on his great journey . . . — Map (db m139390) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — State Ferry Service
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75), on the right when traveling north.
This dock and the auto ferries which landed here were once the Upper Peninsula's "highway" to lower Michigan. In the early 1900's, the few cars which reached the Straits crossed on railroad ferries, at a cost of $40 each! Better roads . . . — Map (db m139782) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Structures of Local Native Americans in the 1600'sSt. Ignace Downtown History
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of Marquette Street, on the right when traveling north.
One of the oldest archaeological sites in the country is located in St. Ignace at the Museum of Ojibwa Culture (across the street from here). The Huron village, which was located there, is believed to have looked like this in the 1600s. These . . . — Map (db m139513) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — The Huron Longhouse
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of Marquette Street, on the left when traveling north.
When Huron refugees settled on this site in 1671 they established a village similar to the ones they had built for centuries in lower Ontario, their homeland. The most striking feature in a Huron village is the very tall and very long bark . . . — Map (db m139625) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Two Cultures Meet
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75).
French traders established themselves in the Upper Great Lakes region after 1644 and were welcome among the Indians. They sought harmony with the native people, learning their language and respecting their customs. The French adopted useful . . . — Map (db m139530) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Voyage of Exploration
Near North State Street (Business Interstate 75) north of Marquette Street, on the right when traveling north.
Father Jacques Marquette, a Jesuit priest, established a mission called St. Ignace here in 1671. In May of 1673, Marquette, Louis Jolliet and 5 other Frenchmen left St. Ignace in 2 canoes on an expedition to find the river known as the . . . — Map (db m139514) HM
Michigan (Mackinac County), St. Ignace — Watery Graveyard
Near North State Street north of East Goudreau Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The Great Lakes have swallowed up over 10,000 ships since the first trading ship was lost in 1679. Storm waves on the lakes are sharper than the roll and swell of ocean waves; a ship may not recover before being struck by another wave. Lake . . . — Map (db m139590) HM

480 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 280
Paid Advertisement