Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

497 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 297
 
Marker detail: Lord Beaverbrook image, Touch for more information
George Metcalf Archival Collection
Marker detail: Lord Beaverbrook
New Brunswick (Northumberland County), Miramichi — Lord Beaverbrook
English: From Newcastle paperboy to London press baron, Max Aitken was, in his time, one of the most powerful Canadians on the world's stage. A self-made millionaire, he worked his way into the limelight through a 50-year role in . . . — Map (db m142230) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Benedict ArnoldRebel and Loyalist / Rebelle et loyaliste
English: In 1741 Benedict Arnold was born in Connecticut to a prosperous family. Twice before he was 18 young Arnold ran away to join British forces fighting the French and Indian wars. When the American revolution began . . . — Map (db m141993) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Charles Gorman
English: Charles Ingraham Gorman, born 1897 in Saint John, quickly grew into a boy with great energy. He thrived on competition. Once he had ice skates he dazzled family and friends with his speed on ice. At ten Charlie competed . . . — Map (db m142002) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Colonel Gabriel G. LudlowFirst Mayor of Saint John / Premier maire de Saint John
English: Born to a wealthy American family in 1736, Gabriel Ludlow grew up a supporter of the King. When the American Revolution came Ludlow raised a battalion for General DeLancey's Brigade. He was commissioned colonel of the . . . — Map (db m141992) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — George B. OlandMoosehead Breweries / La Brasserie Moosehead
English: When George Bauld Oland was growing up in Dartmouth, N.S. he was surrounded by his brothers and sisters and many Oland cousins. Their homes were together by the Halifax harbour near the Oland family brewery. The popular . . . — Map (db m141995) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — John RobertsonLord of the North / Le Lord du Nord
English: At age 16 John Robertson left Scotland for Saint John to work as his uncle's clerk. From his arrival in 1817 Robertson's energy, vision and shrewd business sense were combined with significant social skills. People liked . . . — Map (db m141994) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — K. C. Irving
English: Kenneth Colin Irving, known to everyone as K.C., spent most of his life in New Brunswick. He was born (March 1899) in Buctouche, Kent County where his father owned various businesses. From his earliest years it was . . . — Map (db m142000) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Mills at Union Point / Les usines à Union Point
English: The site opposite, where Irving Pulp and Paper mill now stands, has been used for mill operations since the early 19th century. At that time the site was known as Union Point. Mills at Union Point 1835 . . . — Map (db m142003) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Rebels Attack / Les attaques des rebelles
English: Partnership at Portland Point In August 1775 the 140 residents of Portland Point were attacked. A Machias war sloop burnt Fort Frederick, carried off its four soldiers and a ship full of supplies from the upriver . . . — Map (db m141990) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Robert Foulis
English: In 1822 when Robert Foulis arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick he was 30 years old, a well-educated Scotsman from Glasgow, recognized as brilliant in sciences, and trained as an engineer. He spent the rest of his life in . . . — Map (db m141998) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Simonds, Hazen and WhiteA Partnership / Un partenariat
English: In 1762 three young ex-officers of provincial regiments (units of Americans within the British army) joined in a trading venture. The Boston friends - James Simonds, James White and William Hazen - were attracted to the . . . — Map (db m141991) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Sir Samuel Leonard TilleyFather of Confederation / Père de la Confédération
English: Born in 1818 at Gagetown, NB, Leonard Tilley apprenticed at age 13 to a pharmacist in the north end of Saint John known as Portland. As a certified pharmacist 7 years later, Tilley and his cousin opened "Peters and Tilley . . . — Map (db m141997) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Thomas Stockwell SimmsT.S. Simms & Co., Brush Makers to the World / fabricant de brosses pour le monde entier
English: The American Civil War had a significant impact on young Thomas Stockwell Simms. A native of Maine, he tried to enlist in Lincoln's Republican army at age 16 when he was too young. At 18 he was accepted by the Seventh . . . — Map (db m141996) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — William Kilby ReynoldsBuider, Reversing Falls Bridge / Bâtisseur du pont des Chutes réversibles
English: Born in Maine in 1810, young Kilby Reynolds soon proved he had remarkable mechanical skills. His inventive mind enjoyed developing improvements and trying new ideas. In 1844 Reynolds purchased a large sawmill property . . . — Map (db m142001) HM
New Brunswick (Westmorland County), Shediac — Edward Richard McDonaldThe Inventor / L'inventeur — 1871-1952 —
English: Edward R. McDonald was born in Pointe-du-Chêne, New Brunswick, in 1871. He was the son of Captain William McDonald and Catherine Costello McDonald. He was married to Miss Annie Gertrude Ryan and was the father of four . . . — Map (db m142218) HM
New Brunswick (Westmorland County), Shediac — The Honorable Daniel Lionel Hanington1882-1883
English: Daniel Lionel Hanington was born on 27 June 1835 in Shediac, New Brunswick, to Daniel Hanington, Sr. and Margaret Peters. He attended Mount Allison Academy, and then studied law under Charles Fisher in Fredericton. He was . . . — Map (db m142004) HM
Ontario, Smiths Falls — Canadian Northern Railway Station / La Gare de la Societe Canadian Northern Railway

Opened in 1914, on the new Toronto-Ottawa line, this station reflected the western-based Canadian Northern's ambition to compete directly with the established Canadian Pacific Railway in populous Ontario in an attempt to achieve . . . — Map (db m142128) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Canadian Northern Train Station / Chemin de fer du Nord CanadienSmiths Falls — Rise at the Falls —

Construction of the Canadian Northern train station began in 1911 with an official opening in 1912. The building was intended to serve as a model of the railway's high architectural standards and to draw passenger traffic away from . . . — Map (db m142120) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Centennial Park1867 • Centennial of Confederation • 1967 — Smiths Falls —

Constructed by the Town of Smiths Falls in permanent commemoration of the Centennial of Confederation in Canada in 1967. Construction was made possible through the co-operation of the Province of Ontario the Government of . . . — Map (db m142164) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Evergreen AvenueA Living Memorial

Dedicated to All Veterans And Peacekeepers of the Armed Forces A Millenium Environmental Project Initiated in the Year 2000 . . . — Map (db m142077) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Grant Amy1908 - 1943

Charter Member of the Smiths Falls Lions Club Killed in Action in Italy

Memorial Pool — Map (db m142084) WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls and the Dam / Smiths Falls et le Barrage

Where are the Falls? The Town gets its name from a mile long series of rapids, which originally flowed from the water tower in Centennial Park, to the stone arch bridge on Beckwith Street. As boat traffic increased in the early . . . — Map (db m142161) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls Public Market BuildingLe bâtiment du marché public de Smiths Falls

The public Market Building was designed and constructed in 1892 by Matthew J. Ryan. Ryan was a local contractor who had also won contracts to build the Fire Hall, Town Hall, and St. Francis Catholic School. The interior of the . . . — Map (db m142168) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — The Rideau Waterway

Constructed 1826-32 by the British government for military purposes, but used principally for commerce, the Rideau waterway, together with the lower Ottawa River, was the first canalized route from Montreal to the Great Lakes. Although . . . — Map (db m142082) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Veterans Memorial

To Those Who Served

The Harvard The Yellow Peril

Basic trainer for thousands who learned to fly in defence of their country — Map (db m142081) HM WM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Water Works / Station de Production d'Eau Potable

The current water system in Smiths Falls began in a three-story brick building in 1886 under the management of "Captain" Adam Foster. While it began on the east side of Beckwith Street to supply the water tanks in the CPR yards, it . . . — Map (db m142155) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — World War I Memorial
. . . — Map (db m142075) WM
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Lombardy — Lombardy Agricultural Society

In Recognition of 100 Years' Service 1866-1966 Presented August 2, 1991 ——————————— In Recognition of One Hundred and Fifty Years of Service

Lombardy . . . — Map (db m142073) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — 1st Merrickville Scout GroupEst 1908

Established in 1908 by Ernest Thomas Pastor of the Methodist Church Merrickville, Ontario Canada The first Scout Troop in North America It was founded under the 1908 Scout Promise: "On my honour, I will do my duty to God and the . . . — Map (db m142180) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Blockhaus de Merrickville Blockhouse

The Merrickville blockhouse is one of four blockhouses constructed on the Rideau Canal. Its architecture is a typical design utilized throughout British North America. The 3.5 foot (1.06 metres) walls were designed to be strong enough . . . — Map (db m142312) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Canal Twins / Les canaux jumelésCanal Rideau Canal / Canal Caledonian Canal

Why the Canals are Twinned

These two canals were constructed in the early 19th century for military reasons. Both Canals grew into commercial highways, survived as recreational waterways and are now important heritage . . . — Map (db m142314) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Dr. Jim Connor

This Tree Dedicated by The World Wide Admirers of Robbie Burns Scotland's National Poet

To the Memory of Dr. Jim Connor

on the Occasion of the Tenth Anniversary of The Twinning of the Rideau and Caledonian Canals

~ July . . . — Map (db m142189) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Founding of Merrickville

In 1793 William Merrick (1760-1844), a Loyalist from Massachusetts, acquired from Roger Stevens a sawmill at the "Great Falls" on the Rideau River. Here he built new mills which formed the nucleus of a small community that grew up before 1816 . . . — Map (db m142241) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Jakes-MacLean BlockHeritage Conservation Easement Site / Site patrimonial protégé par une servitude

The heritage character and integrity of this property are protected by a legal agreement between the owner and the Ontario Heritage Foundation . . . — Map (db m142264) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Mechanics Institute and Library Associationcirca 1830-40

A Heritage Building — Map (db m142266) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville

The arrangement of the locks here is unique along the waterway with a small basin set between each lock. These basins were built to allow the locks to follow a natural depression in the ground and therefore minimize the amount of . . . — Map (db m142341) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville Blockhouse 1832

This is one of four blockhouses which, with some twelve other "defensible buildings", were constructed along the Rideau Canal. The canal, built 1826-32 by Lieutenant-Colonel John By, Royal Engineers, was designed to serve as an alternative . . . — Map (db m142181) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville Public and Continuation School1873 - 1965

This School Bell, a replica of the original tower bell is placed in this Cenotaph Park in Celebration of our School Reunion July 1995

Bell donated by: Alley Foundry Cairn erected by: George Cross in memory of his father Plaque . . . — Map (db m142272) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville United Churchcirca 1890 — A Heritage Building —

to serve a Methodist congregation — Map (db m142197) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville's Vimy Oak / Le chêne de Vimy du Village de Merrickville(Quercus robur)

This oak tree, planted on May 13, 2017, descends from acorns gathered after the Battle of Vimy Ridge, April 9-12, 1917.

It honours the memory of those who served including three soldiers from Merrickville who died . . . — Map (db m142269) HM WM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Mill's Furniture Showroom and Funeral Homecirca 1868

John Mills

A Heritage Building — Map (db m142267) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Old Town Hallcirca 1856

Restored by the Heritage Merrickville Foundation Date 1989 — Map (db m142242) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — St. Ann's Church, Merrickville, 1903

The first Catholics to settle in Merrickville were the families of the Irish, Scottish and French builders of the Rideau Canal, 1826-32. The area was originally served by priests visiting from Perth and Prescott and later from Smiths Falls and . . . — Map (db m142243) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — The Merrickville Blockhouse / Le blockhaus de Merrickville

When construction of the Rideau Canal began, Merrickville was already an established village and was considered by the authorities to be a logical target for an invader. Consequently Colonel John By urged strong measures for the . . . — Map (db m142194) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Twin Canals / Les canaux jumelés

The Caledonian Canal of Scotland, engineered by Thomas Telford and completed in 1822, is twinned with the Rideau Canal to commemorate their historical link, purpose and function, and to recognize the enduring importance of canals to . . . — Map (db m142184) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — World Wars Memorial

In Loving Memory of those who served and died 1914-1918 ———————— Spirit that made these Heroes dare To die or leave their children free, Bid time and Nature gently spare The . . . — Map (db m142276) HM

Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Convention nationale des Acadiens de 1884The National Acadian Convention of 1884
Français: Du 13 au 15 août 1884, Miscouche est la scène de la deuxième Convention nationale des Acadiens. Quelque 150 délégués officiels des trois provinces Maritimes se réunissent pour poursuivre les discussions entamées en 1881 . . . — Map (db m142398) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Fanfare de MiscoucheThe Miscouche Band
Français: Fondée en 1889 par le curé de la paroisse, la Fanfare de Miscouche constitue une institution culturelle importante pour la communauté. Elle porte d'abord le nom Heckman Band en l'honneur du dentiste local qui fit un don . . . — Map (db m142400) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La fondation de MiscoucheThe Founding of Miscouche
Français: Vers 1808, des familles écossaises catholiques, les Steele, McNeil et Gillis, sont les premières à s'établir dans l'emplacement actuel de Miscouche. En 1816, un groupe de familles acadiennes, qui habite la baie de . . . — Map (db m142394) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Le Couvent Saint-Joseph et les religieuses de la Congrégation de Notre-DameSaint Joseph's Convent and the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame
Français: Le Couvent Saint-Joseph a la particularité d'avoir été le premier couvent-école dans une paroisse acadienne à l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard et au Nouveau-Brunswick. Ouvert en 1864, et agrandi en 1922, il est placé sous la . . . — Map (db m142399) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'économieThe Economy
Français: En 1890, la paroisse de Miscouche compte 683 Acadiens francophones et 137 anglophones, principalement d'origine écossaise. La majorité des paroissiens vivent sur la ferme, bien que les activités économiques sont assez . . . — Map (db m142396) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'Église Saint-Jean-BaptisteSaint John the Baptist Church
Français: La première église paroissiale a été construite en 1819. L'église actuelle, la troisième, a été érigée en 1891-92 selon les plans de l'architecte insulaire George Edwin Baker, pendant la cure du père John A. MacDonald. . . . — Map (db m142397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'évolution du village de MiscoucheThe Evolution of the Village of Miscouche
Français: La Base militaire de Summerside a eu un impact important sur la vie socio-économique de Miscouche pendant les 50 années de son existence (1941-1991). De nombreux paroissiens y ont trouvé de l'emploi et la communauté . . . — Map (db m142395) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — 1975 University of El Salvador Massacre
Homenaje de la Comunidad Universitaria a los Martires Caidos en la Masacre del 30 de Julio de 1975 Carlos Fonseca ∙ Carlos Humberto Hernández ∙ Roberto Antonio Miranda ∙ Eber Gómez Mendoza ∙ Balmore Cortez . . . — Map (db m142522) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Mural in Honor of Salvadoran Women
Mural en Honor a Mujeres Emblemáticas de El Salvador Antonia Navarro Primera mujer graduada de la Universidad de El Salvavador y primera doctora de Centroamérica en un área que en esa época era exclusiva de los hombres, . . . — Map (db m142283) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Plaza Dr. Jorge Arias Gómez
“Puedo morir como nací, sabedlo, Puro, sencillo y optimista De pie sobre la tierra como un árbol, El las filas del Partido Comunista” La Asociación de Estudiantes de Derecho de la Facultad de Jurisprudencia y Ciencias . . . — Map (db m142519) HM WM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Aalen — Roman Cavalry Fort - North-west CornerRömisches Reiterkastell Aalen - Nordwestecke
Das ca. 6 ha große Kastell lag auf dem nach Südosten geneigten Hang, was noch heute gut im Gelände nachvollzogen werden kann. Von dieser Position aus hatten die Soldaten einen hervorragenden Überblick und konnten vor allem die wichtigen . . . — Map (db m142453) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Lindach — Dorfkirche Lindach / Lindach Village Church
Sie ist den Kirchenpatronen Antonius dem Einsiedler und Marcus dem Evangelisten geweiht. Ihr Standort befindet sich am südlichen Ende des Dorfangers. Ein Friedhof (Kirchhof) und ein Karner (Gebeinhaus) komplettierten einst das . . . — Map (db m142316) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Barockes Zehnthaus mit Zehntkeller / Baroque Tithing House with Tithe Cellar
Dieses wohl älteste, denkmalgeschützte Haus Stammheims geht in seinem Ursprung auf das 16. Jahrhundert zurück. Später wurde es umgebaut und mit einer barocken Fassade umgestaltet. Zwei massive Sandsteinfiguren, der Kreuzschlepper . . . — Map (db m142228) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 1e — Rathaus / City Hall
Schon 1606 berichtet die Gemeinderechnung von der Anschaffung von "acht liedernen Eymern (Ledereimern) uff's Rathaus zu bessern” (Brandschutz).

Der heutige Barockbau entstand 1696/98 mit Dorfschmiede und kleinen . . . — Map (db m142281) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Würzburg), Sommerhausen — Bartholomäus Kirche / Church of Bartholomäus
Im Ursprung Mitte des 13. Jh. entstanden

Erweiterungen im 16. Jh., Kirchenschiff 1740

Baumeister Leopold Retty aus Ansbach

Grafenloge, Kanzel und Epitaph aus der Werkstatt Georg Brenk -

(English . . . — Map (db m142221) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Würzburg), Sommerhausen — Franz Daniel Pastorius - The First German Settler in America
In honor of Franz Daniel Pastorius First German Settler in America and Founder of Germantown, Pennsylvania In Memory of the 300th Anniversary of his Emigration Presents this Plaque to the place of his birth Sommerhausen . . . — Map (db m142223) HM
Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Eiserner Steg / The Iron Bridge
Geschichte Des Eisernen Steges

1867 Frankfurter Burger Gründen eine Aktien-"Gesellschaft zur Errichtung einer eisernen Brücke am Fahrtor"

1868/69 Bau des Eisernen Steges nach dem Entwurf von Johann Peter Wilhelm . . . — Map (db m142278) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Hauptbahnhof - Main Station
1883-1888

Größte Eisenbahn-Station Europas im Stil der Neorenaissance

Tonnenüberwölbtes Empfangsgebäude Repräsentative Stadifassade mit reichem allegorischem Skulpturenprogramm

Architekt H. Eggert

Dreischiffige . . . — Map (db m142232) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Leinwandhaus - Linen House
1397 Spätgotisches Tuchmagazin In städtischem Auftrag begonnen von Baumeister Jeckel Mengoz

Late Gothic cloth storehouse By order of the city started by master builder Jeckel Mengoz

1400 Verputzter . . . — Map (db m142040) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Atlantic College of Wireless & Cable Telegraphy1911 • 1919 — Atlantic Telegraph Cables Trail .1857-1966. Stop C5 —

This Marconi Licensed college was founded here in 1911 by Maurice Fitzgerald, formerly of Ballinskelligs Cable Station.

Many wireless and cable operators were trained here, including Republican Volunteer Con Keating of Reenard, Cahersiveen. . . . — Map (db m142388) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty1898 - 1963

In the grounds of the O'Connell Memorial Church lies the grave of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty.

In Rome during World War II, he bravely organised an elaborate escape network for Allied POW's and civilians. When the l[A]lies entered Rome in . . . — Map (db m142356) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — O'Connell Memorial ChurchDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 9

In 1879 Rev. Timothy Brosnon was appointed Parish Priest of Cahersiveen and as a great admirer of Daniel O'Connell, he hoped to erect a Church that would suitably mark the centenary of his birth in 1775. Having received an audience with Pope . . . — Map (db m142353) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Presentation ConventDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 10

In the early 19th century Daniel O'Connell was very conscious of the need to educate the people of South Kerry and so he bought a rectors lodge in Bank Street. He invited nuns from the Presentation Order to come and set up a school to help . . . — Map (db m142380) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Primrose WalkDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 4 — 4A Carraig na gConnaill, 4B-D The Race Course, National School & O'Connell Church —

Leaving the town park the trail proceeds to Reenrusheen road. Locally this road is known as Primrose walk. John Primrose was married to a cousin of Daniel O'Connell and he appointed Primrose as his agent in the area. O'Connell was finding it . . . — Map (db m142474) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Railway and O'ConnellDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 2

Early in the 1830's the bringing of the Railway to South Kerry was discussed. O'Connell's idea was to see the railway touching the southern coastline and to continue from Cahersiveen to Cork via Kenmare. The line between Farranfore and . . . — Map (db m142461) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Ringforts

Cahersiveen Cathair saidhbhin 'The fort of Saidhbin (Little Sarah)

Saidhbin was said to be the daughter of McCarthy Mor who held the lands of Iveragh. She was given the fort and the surrounding area, on the banks of the . . . — Map (db m142406) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Sive FortDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 3

Moving away from the Railway Bridge and the River Fertha the town park comes into view. Here was the original site of the fort of Sive which gives its name to the town of Cahersiveen. At one time there was a small village in the vicinity but . . . — Map (db m142468) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Barracks Heritage CentreDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 1

The Heritage Centre came about following the defeat of the Fenians in 1867. The English government was anxious about the safety of the Valentia Atlantic cable station. A new constabulary barracks was built on the banks of the River Fertha and . . . — Map (db m142383) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Railway

In 1893 the Killorglin to Valentia branch of The Great Southern and Western Railway opened. The need by local farmers and fishermen to get their produce to market in Britain was identified and the provision of a grant of £85,000, from the . . . — Map (db m142419) HM

Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Xoconoxtle el Grande — Parish of San José Joconoxtle
X-8-MDCCCLXIV Ereccion de esta parroquia de Sn. Jose del Joconoxtle, Gto. --- X-8-MCMLXIV. 1er Centenario. A la memoria del Ilmo. Sr. Sollano que la erigio. English translation: October 8, 1864 Erection of this . . . — Map (db m142156) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Chapel of Santa MaríaRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Capilla Santa María Yuriria es un lugar lleno de tradición, historia, atractivos naturales y diversas edificaciones civiles y religiosas, estas últimas abarcan desde edificios monumentales como el templo y antiguo convento de San . . . — Map (db m142080) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Church of the HospitalRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Templo del Hospital La construcción de este templo tuvo lugar en 1549, fue una de las obras impulsadas por Fray Diego de Chávez y Alvarado, destacada personalidad de Yuriria. Como resultado de sus labores como misionero, y por . . . — Map (db m142079) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Dr. Miguel Ramírez Tinoco
En esta casa vivio el Dr. Miguel Ramirez Tinoco 1907-2000 Ilustre medico cirujano que dedico 70 años de su vida al ejercicio de la profesión en beneficio de la región Yuriria, Gto. Abril 2008 Dr. Miguel Ramirez Tinoco Universidad . . . — Map (db m142069) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Former Convent of San AgustínRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Ex Convento de San Agustín Este ex convento, así como y el templo del mismo nombre, conformaron un conjunto religioso de gran importancia para la fundacion de Yuriria, luego de la conquista española, además fue una de los primeros . . . — Map (db m142053) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Joaquín López Arias
Esta casa pertencio al caudillo de la Independencia, Teniente General Don Joaquin Lopez Arias sacrificado en Acatita de Bajan el 21 de marzo de 1811. Yuriria, 1956. English translation: This house belonged to the . . . — Map (db m142070) HM WM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Lake YuririaRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Laguna de Yuriria Yuriria no sólo sobresale por su arquitectura monumental, también lo hace por sus recursos naturales, uno de ellos es la Laguna de Yuriria. Este cuerpo de agua es particularmente importante debido a que su formación . . . — Map (db m142083) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Monument to Friar Diego de ChávezRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Monumento a Fray Diego de Chávez Fray Diego de Chávez y Alvarado nació en Badajoz, Extremadura, poblado de la Corona Española que contó con una relevante participación en el descubrimiento y conquista de América; pues su diócesis fue . . . — Map (db m142055) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — Sanctuary of the Virgen de GuadalupeRuta de los Conventos - The Convent Route
Santuario de la Virgen de Guadalupe En la edificación de este templo, realizada en distintos años, participaron diversas personalidades. Fray Rafael Villafuerte elaboró el proyecto en 1887, que inició hasta 1903. La dirección de la . . . — Map (db m142071) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Yuriria), Yuriria — The Yuriria Cultural Center
Casa de la Cultura Ambos inmuebles forman parte de las edificaciones del centro histórico de Yuriria, la presidencia se encuentran en el llamado Portal Morelos. No se tiene documentada la fecha exacta de construcción, segun algunas . . . — Map (db m142065) HM
Mexico, Nuevo León (Municipality of Monterrey), Monterrey — Epigmenio R. Melo
En esta casa nacio y fallecio el Lic. Epigmenio R. Melo 1836-1899 Maestro, organista, poeta y compositor. Fundador de la primera orquesta en 1866 con 26 musicos, cubriendo eventos sociales y temporadas de opera durant mas de 24 años, . . . — Map (db m142106) HM
Mexico, Nuevo León (Municipality of Monterrey), Monterrey — Eugenio Castillón and Venustiano Carranza
En esta casa vivió el historiador y político don Eugenio Castillón y en 1915 se alojó en ella don Venustiano Carranza. R. Ayuntamiento de Monterrey 1997-2000. English translation: In this house lived the . . . — Map (db m142089) HM
Mexico, Nuevo León (Municipality of Monterrey), Monterrey — Fray Cristóbal Bellido y Fajardo
Fray Cristóbal Bellido y Fajardo, destacado educador y autor del plano de la ciudad de 1791, coincidiendo en la abundancia de los ojos de agua, dijo que: “En el mismo sitio de manantial y sin llegar a su tanque o común . . . — Map (db m142111) HM
Mexico, Nuevo León (Municipality of Nuevo León), Monterrey — 4 — The Purísima BridgeBatalla de Monterrey - 21 de septiembre de 1846 — Recorriendo tu Historia —
Puente de la Purísima Por ser un punto estratégico por su paso sobre el arroyo Santa Lucía, el entonces puente de la Purisíma ubicado en este sitio, fue fortificado con un cañón y custodiado por tropas de los Batallones Actívos de . . . — Map (db m142107) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — C7 — El Call: Carrer de L'Arc de San Ramon del CallMedieval Jewish Quarter, 12th-14th centuries
(Catalan:) Segueix la línia interior del mur romà. No tenia sortida al carrer del Call, i, per un pont elevat, es comunicava directament amb el Castell Nou, una fortalesa medieval construïda sobre la porta . . . — Map (db m142352) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — C6 — El Call: Carrer de Sant DomènecMedieval Jewish Quarter, 12th-14th centuries
(Catalan:) Carrer principal del Call, on es concentraven la Sinagoga Major, la carnisseria i les cases dels membres més importants de la comunitat. En un extrem hi havia el portal d'accés al . . . — Map (db m142358) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — C3 — El Call: Carrer de Sant SeverMedieval Jewish Quarter, 12th-14th centuries
(Catalan:) Límit nord del Call. A la dreta limitava amb els dominis episcopals i a l'esquerra estava tallat pel mur romà. No s'obrí fins a final del segle XIV, vers el carrer de la Palla.

. . . — Map (db m142359) HM

Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — R12 — Roman Aqueduct and Gate: Plaça Nova
(Catalan:) Porta d'accés a la ciutat reformada en construir-se la segona muralla de Barcino. L'entrada es feia a través d'un dels carrers principals, el decumanus. Es conserva un dels passos laterals per a vianants i les . . . — Map (db m142347) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — Roman Sepulchral Way and Vila de Madrid Square
(Catalan:) La plaça Vila de Madrid obeeix a un projecte urbanístic de finals del anys cinquanta del segle XX. Bona part del solar va estar ocupat pel Convent de Santa Teresa de les les carmelites descalces. La comunitat, . . . — Map (db m142379) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — R5 — Roman Tower: Plaça dels Traginers
(Catalan:) Torre de planta circular que defensava l'angle est de la muralla romana de Barcino. Correspon al segon recinte emmurallat de la ciutat, construït al segle IV dC.

(Spanish:) Torre de . . . — Map (db m142284) HM

Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — R7 — Roman Wall and Defence Towers: Carrer Sots-tinent Navarro
(Catalan:) Tram de muralla i torres de planta quadrangular corresponents a la segona muralla de Barcino (segle IV dC). Es pot observar com en diferents èpoques s'han aixecat edificis a sobre de la construcció romana . . . — Map (db m142058) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — R6 — Roman Wall and Defense Towers: Carrer Baixada de Caçador
(Catalan:) Llenç de muralla i torre quadrangular del segon recinte emmurallat de Barcino (segle IV dC). Posteriorment, i aprofitant l'estructura defensiva de la ciutat romana, s'hi construiren edificacions a . . . — Map (db m142063) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — R4 — Roman Wall and Defense Towers: Carrer del Correu Vell
(Catalan:) Llenç de mur i dues de les torres quadrangulars pertanyents l segon recinte emmurallat de Barcino (segle IV dC). Al segle XIV, es va construir sobre aquest tram de muralla la casa de . . . — Map (db m142310) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Birthplace of W.C. Handy1873
William Christopher Handy, acclaimed worldwide as the “Father of the Blues” was born November 16, 1873, in his grandfather’s two~room log cabin which was located at this site. All structures in this area were removed in 1954 to make way . . . — Map (db m141964) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — St. Joseph Catholic Church1898
Florence Roman Catholic established their first church here in 1898 with Gammelbert Bunner, OSB, as pastor. They earlier met in private homes attended by visiting priests. Churches in Tuscumbia and St. Florian served the Shoals at large. The . . . — Map (db m141958) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Florence — Tate Springs Estate Early 1800’s
Known for its mineral springs and prominent grist mill, this estate was part of the large reserve set aside by the 1798 Tellico Treaty for Cherokee Indian Chief Doublehead. John Reuben Hough was an early settler of Major Donelson’s party and . . . — Map (db m141954) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Killen — Killen and the Canal System
Two hundred feet from where you are, in 40 feet of water, are the remains of Lock Six, the headquarters for a locking system of 9 locks that provided river traffic around the rapids and shoals. The river fall of 136 feet in about 37 miles prevented . . . — Map (db m141979) HM
Alabama (Lauderdale County), Lexington — French-Glover Farm 1837
Revolutionary War Veteran Benjamin French (1764-1847), a native of Virginia, is buried at this site. Arriving in Limestone County, Alabama, about 1808 French acquired this farm in 1837. The nearby spring is the site of prehistoric Indian Village . . . — Map (db m141982) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — General Richard Montgomery Statue
The town of Montgomery, formed on December 3, 1819, through the joining of New Philadelphia and East Alabama, is named for Major General Richard Montgomery, who was the first American general officer killed in America's war for independence. Richard . . . — Map (db m142117) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Madison Park SchoolMontgomery County
In 1890, Elijah Madison Jr., Charles Branson, Charles Braswell and others donated funds to construct a private school in the Madison Park Community, which was founded by 14 former Slaves in 1880. A storm soon destroyed the first school building. . . . — Map (db m142146) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Pony Express1860-1861
A nearby plaque commemorates the passage in 1860-1861 of Pony Express riders from Sacramento to the San Francisco terminus. They usually rode river steamers, but 20 times the Pony Express took an overland route as the steamers did not . . . — Map (db m142217) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Forced Removal of Mexican AmericansDuring The Great Depression
Beginning in 1929, government authorities and certain private sector entities in California and throughout the United States undertook an aggressive program to forcibly remove persons of Mexican ancestry from the United States. In . . . — Map (db m141610) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — The Hot Springs
The Kausik Cahuilla are the owners of one of California's most famous hot springs. This natural resource provided them with permanent, palatable mineral waters which were used for curing, drinking, and agriculture. It also was a direct access to . . . — Map (db m142125) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — RIV-025 — The Original Palm Springs
The warm spring here was the site of Se-Khe (Boiling Water), important village of the Kawasic Cahuilla Indians. The Spanish called it Agua Caliente (Hot Water). A stage station of that name operated from 1862 to 1876. As early as 1871 the Indians . . . — Map (db m142126) HM
California (Tulare County), Pixley — Pixley Train Robbery
In the evening of Friday February 22, 1889, two men wearing masks boarded the engine of Train No. 17 as it pulled away from Pixley Station. At gun point they ordered engineer Peter Bolenger and fireman C.G. Elder to stop the train two miles south . . . — Map (db m141756) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — Citrus South Tule School
One of the oldest continuously operated schools in Tulare County was started at this location as South Tule School, May 6. 1874. Citrus Elementary School founded in 1897, merged with South Tule in 1932. The La Motte School, founded in 1894, was . . . — Map (db m141671) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — First Burton Schoolhouse
The First Burton Schoolhouse was a few yards to the North of this site. It was in a field owned by Royal Porter Putnam and is shown here in the 1892 Tulare County atlas. School buildings in the early days were the community meeting places, and it . . . — Map (db m141919) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — Porterville's Badman
Jim McKinney, Porterville's "Jekyll and Hyde,” a soft- spoken man was liked by many, but when drunk was dangerous, always armed and looking for trouble. On the night of July 27, 1902, on a drunken rampage he went totally bad and shot up . . . — Map (db m141829) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — The Tule River Stage Station
In September of 1858 the Butterfield Overland Mail Company set up stations along its route from Missouri to California. These way stations were at about fifteen to twenty mile intervals to change horses. Some would also provide food and lodging. . . . — Map (db m141817) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — Treaty of 1851
At a temporary camp at the old indian trail crossing on Paint Creek (White River), a treaty between the United States and the leaders of four Yokuts tribes was signed on June 3, 1851. The four tribes of Yokuts were the Yal-Um-Ne, Co-Yet-Te, Chu-and . . . — Map (db m141876) HM
California (Tulare County), Strathmore — Old Harmony School
The original Harmony School opened August 5, 1871, was among the first to serve pioneer families who settled west along the Tule River. The first school building was a one-room one-sided wooden structure. It was located some 100 feet south of this . . . — Map (db m141752) HM
California (Tulare County), Terra Bella — The Original Walker Pass
In March of 1860, Joseph R. Walker, leading a party of men across the Southern Sierra to prospect, was in Visalia to get supplies. The editor of the Visalia newspaper interviewed Mr. Walker regarding his route and learned surpisingly that he was not . . . — Map (db m141822) HM
California (Tulare County), Tulare — Tuggleville
On September 12,1936 a fire struck downtown Tulare destroying Al Tuggle's furniture store. A few months later W. A. "Al" and Enid Tuggle rebuilt their store in an open field South of Tulare exactly. 4 miles South of Bardsley Road on K Street (old . . . — Map (db m141911) HM
California (Tulare County), Tulare — Tulare City, Main Southern Pacific Railroad Terminal, 1872-1892
By July 1872 the railroad had reached a site where they had planned a town to be called "Tulare City". This they believed, by bypassing Visalia, would soon become the new county seat and a large area was allowed for the government buildings, but . . . — Map (db m141873) HM
California (Tulare County), Tulare — Tulare Irrigation District
This district was formed in 1889 and is considered the fourth oldest irrigation district in California. At the time of its founding it encompassed 32,500 acres and has since grown to 70,000 acres. The district delivers canal water to 230 farms and . . . — Map (db m141915) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — Camp Babbitt
On October 6, 1862 Capt. Moses McLaughlin and Lt. Col. George S. Evans commanding 57 men of Company D, 2nd Cavalry, California Volunteers arrived in Visalia. They had come from Camp Independence, Owens Valley over the newly completed Coso Trail. . . . — Map (db m141739) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — The Hanging of J.G. McCrory
On Christmas Eve 1872 James G. McCrory, who had murdered before in Visalia and in Arizona, was drunk and disorderly at the El Dorado Saloon on Main Street in Visalia. When one of the owners, Charles Allen, tried to quiet him he shot Allen three . . . — Map (db m141814) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — The Old Tulare County Jail
In 1854 the supervisors of Tulare County authorized construction of a 16' x 16' oak log structure with a courthouse upstairs and jail downstairs. Before this, the most dangerous prisoners were chained to a large oak log out in the open. In 1858 a . . . — Map (db m141827) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Bolton Veterans Monument
In Memory Of All Bolton Men and Women Who Served Their Country During World War II the Korean Conflict and the Viet Nam Conflict — Map (db m142366) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Bolton Veterans Monument and Honor Roll
Bolton Veterans Monument and Honor Roll Korea   1950 — 1955 Donald B. Caldwell, Sr. · Anthony Fiano · Paul Fiano · Michele Giglio · Robert D. Murdock · Morris Silverstein · David C. Toomey, Jr. · Arnold Tobias★ · Conrad Tobias . . . — Map (db m142367) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Bolton World War I Monument
1914   1918 Honor Roll Of Bolton Boys In the World War Camillo Boero · Merrill Cross · ★Michael Daly · Harry B Doolittle · Jacob Horowitz · Keeney Hutchinson · James A Lee · Herald Lee · Victor Lachapelle · Fred O Mannel · Joseph Mack · . . . — Map (db m142368) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Rochambeau Encampment
In this Vicinity French Troops Under Rochambeau Enroute to Yorktown Encamped During June 1781 Erected by the State and Oxford Parish Chapter D.A.R. Cooperating — Map (db m142365) HM WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Booth and Dimock Memorial Library
Booth and Dimock Memorial Library The Booth an. Dimock Memorial Library, was dedicated on Friday, October 24, 1913. The Construction of this new building in 1912 was the result of a $40,000 bequest by Henry Dimock in memory of his grandfather, Rev. . . . — Map (db m142431) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy MillCirca 1880 - 1929
A mill complex, consisting of 15 buildings, existed at this site which reprocessed used fabrics for the production of inexpensive woolen cloth. The stone ruins and two nearby brick buildings are all that remains of this . . . — Map (db m142387) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Nathan Hale Cemetery
Nathan Hale Cemetery The Nathan Hale Monument Before you is an impressive granite obelisk, 14 feet square at the base and 45 feet high made out of 125 tons of hewn Quincy granite. It was designed by Henry Austin and completed by Solomon . . . — Map (db m142435) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Patriot’s Park
You are overlooking a 12 acre site that has been a part of Coventry history since the town was founded in 1712. The home, to your left, was built in 1716 by Captain Edgerton. The frame is of hand pegged oak beam construction with some of the . . . — Map (db m142384) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — South Coventry Village
Prior to 1800 the area of Coventry Village was dominated by three large farms, the First Church and ministry, and the Nathan Hale Cemetery. Thomas Porter and later his son Noah, owned the land from the lake dam southeast to today’s Mason Street. . . . — Map (db m142179) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — South Coventry Village
Prior to 1800 the area of Coventry Village was dominated by three large farms, the First Church and ministry, and the Nathan Hale Cemetery. Thomas Porter and later his son Noah, owned the land from the lake dam southeast to today’s Mason Street. . . . — Map (db m142403) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Bidwell House
The Bidwell House This Greek revival style hotel was built in 1822 by Solomon Bidwell on a one hundred forty acre track of land. The ell was added by Solomon's son, Lyman Bidwell, around 1850. The property descended to Lyman's son and daughter . . . — (db m142436) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Connecticut Veterans Memorial
On Saturday May 17, 2008, 33 years after the war ended veterans, families and onlookers gathered from all over the state for the unveiling of the first memorial honoring the 612 men from Connecticut who died in the Vietnam War. The ceremony for the . . . — Map (db m142439) HM WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The First Congregational Church
The First Congregational ChurchThis classic pillared New England Congregational Church was built in 1849 as the Village Church at a cost of $10,491. For a period of 20 years there were two Congregational Churches in South Coventry. One was the . . . — Map (db m142428) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Grant Farm / Storrs House
The Grant Farm / Storrs House Site The first settler to build on this property (across the street at the corner of Grant Hill Road and Boston Turnpike) was Solomon Grant in the mid 1700’s. Noah Grant, Solomon’s brother, succeeded him as the . . . — Map (db m142442) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Washburn Mill & The Visitor’s Center
The Washburn Mill Behind and to the west of the Visitors' Center was the Washburn foundry and silk mill which operated from 1841 to 1908. There are no existing pictures of the mill, though a survey map (see insert) exists. from 1908. The site . . . — Map (db m142427) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill
Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill This mill site has been in continuous commercial operation since 1716. That year the town fathers commissioned Jonathan Hartshorn to build a mill at the brook. The small grist mill, serving at first about forty families . . . — Map (db m142426) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Veterans 1861-1865
Veterans 1861-1865 — Map (db m142434) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Veterans Memorial Green
The Original Meetinghouse The First Church of Coventry stood on the town green facing Lake Wamgumbaug and also served as the town meeting house. The structure was built in 1716, though a full completion with furnishings did not come until 1738. . . . — Map (db m142437) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Warfield Pond
Warfield Pond Named in honor of Frances Warfield for over 28 years of dedicated service to our company and our customers. Genzyme Biosurgery   May 16, 2003 — Map (db m142440) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Wellwood’s General Store / The Methodist Church
Wellwood’s General Store On this site sits the oldest standing General Store building in the nation. The first building at this location (1787) housed the store and small living quarters that is now part of the adjoining residence. not much of the . . . — Map (db m142429) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — Benjamin Franklin Koons
In Memory Of Benjamin Franklin Koons, B.A.   Ph.D. 1844 — 1903 Instructor at Storrs 1881 — 1903 First President of the College Erected June 11, 1905 by the Graduates — Map (db m142447) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — Capt. Harold L. Lewis Jr. U.S.A.F.
Dedicated In Memory Of Capt. Harold L. Lewis Jr. U.S.A.F. Who gave his life on April 25, 1980 during an attempt to rescue U.S. Embassy hostages in Iran — Map (db m142445) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — Mansfield World War I Monument
Erected by The Town of Mansfield In Honor of Her Citizens Who Served In The World War 1914 — 1918 Walter Tod Ackerman · Antonio Alossi · Howard Merton Atkins Co. M, 103 Inf. Joseph Leon Barrett Co. L, 102 Inf. Thos. Arthur . . . — Map (db m142309) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — Mansfield World War II Memorial
Erected by the People of Mansfield to Perpetuate the Memory of Cpl Charles T Brown · Lt G Pierce Brundage · Capt Roger P Brundage · PFC Edward Budzinsky · Marine Sgt Reginald W Cahoon · T5 Louis W Chobot · Cpl Wm E Cramm Jr · Radioman 2c Vincent . . . — Map (db m142446) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — The Eight Patriots
The Eight Patriots April 25, 1980 Greater love... Greater love hath no man... They came, these eight, from America the beautiful, of their own will, and with no fanfare... They went to a hostile place to rescue their countrymen, knowing that . . . — Map (db m142443) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — VFW Post 9800 Veterans Monument
A Tribute to the Men and Women of Mansfield Who Served Our Nation ——— Dedicated by Post 9800 Veterans of Foreign Wars May 30, 1985 — Map (db m142444) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Vernon — Old Milestone
. . . — Map (db m142441) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — Operation Silent Witness
This Eisenhower Green Ash tree was dedicated on 28 May 2001 in remembrance of our World War II veterans — Map (db m142502) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — American Legion Veterans Memorial
Dedicated on January 26, 1968 as a lasting memorial to those who have served their country for our freedom — Map (db m142504) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Constitution Park
In 1787 the Golden Fleece Tavern owned by Elizabeth Battell, stood facing Court House Square on a property that included this site and there the Constitution of the United States was ratified by the Delaware state. "Fully, freely and . . . — Map (db m142494) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Continuity & ProgressHistorically Happening — Dover, Delaware —
These two words say a great deal about Dover. It is a modern and growing city entering the 21st century on a foundation of achievement built over more than 300 years of American history. And a rich history it is. Founded by William Penn in . . . — Map (db m142501) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-45 — Delaware State College High School
On June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for Colored Students, later known as Delaware State College, approved a resolution recommending the establishment of a high school for Negro students on its campus. This was the second . . . — Map (db m142491) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Did you know...Historically Happening — Dover, Delaware —
The Old State House Fact: After the capital was moved from New Castle to Dover in 1777, the State House was built as the first permanent capitol building in 1787 and finished in 1791. Information: This Georgian . . . — Map (db m142495) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dupont SchoolDelaware State University — Making our mark on the world —
From 1921 until 1952 this simple brick structure, named for its benefactor, Pierre S. Dupont, served as a laboratory-classroom for students enrolled in the teaching course at the State College for Colored Students (now DSU). The educational . . . — Map (db m142492) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Lakeside Cemetery Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the lasting memory of those who lie within this cemetery that served their country to protect our nation's beliefs and principles to achieve peace among other nations and ours. — Map (db m142493) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Octagonal School HouseCowgill's Corner
The Free School Act of 1829 was passed through the efforts of Judge Willard Hall, Charles Marim, and others. Each school district received a generous subsidy for organizing & school free for children of the district. This school was erected . . . — Map (db m142505) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — 148th Fighter Interceptor Squadron
Dedicated to the living and deceased members of the 148th who reopened this facility, at the height of the Korean Conflict on Feb. 1, 1951. The unit served at Dover A.F.B. until Oct. 31, 1952 flying F-51D, F-84C and F-94B aircraft. — Map (db m142516) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — 2nd Ferrying Group Memorial
Dedicated in remembrance of all who served in the 2nd Ferrying Group, Ferrying Division Air Transport Command, New Castle Army Base, Delaware. 1942-1946 The group delivered aircraft all over the world and was the first to utilize . . . — Map (db m142515) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — 61st Troop Carrier Squadron Memorial
The missing man formation of the 61 st Troop Carrier Squadron World War II In memory of those no longer with us who flew, maintained, or supported the C-47 in the U.S. Military Services — Map (db m142509) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — Asian American and Pacific Islander U.S. Air Force Memorial
In honor of the many contributions made by Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders to the U.S.A.F. Past, Present & Future — Map (db m142508) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — Berlin Airlift Memorial
In memory of the United States military personnel who served on the Berlin Airlift 26 June 1948 to 30 September 1949. — Map (db m142511) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — C-133 Cargomaster1957 - 1971
Dedicated to C-133 aircrew members and support personnel of the 1st and 39th Heavy Airlift Squadrons and to the memory of those who are no longer with us — Map (db m142510) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — P-51 Mustang
P-51 Mustang Flown by valiant men to victory — Map (db m142513) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — POW-MIA
. . . — Map (db m142517) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — T-33AShooting Star — S/N 52-9497 —
The two-seater T-33 was developed as a variant of Lockheed's P-80 fighter. The fuselage was lengthened by a little over three feet and a second seat for an instructor was added. In service for over 50 years, the T-33, known as the Shooting Star or . . . — Map (db m142507) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — Women in the Military Memorial
Dedicated to women in the military Past · Present · Future — Map (db m142512) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — K-102 — School District No. 5
In 1829 the Delaware General Assembly enacted legislation resulting in the establishment of a public school system. The state was subdivided into local districts. One of these was School District #5, which was created to serve the needs of students . . . — Map (db m142499) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Willow Grove — KC-118 — Samuel D. Burris
Samuel D. Burris, a free African-American conductor on the Underground Railroad resided in the Willow Grove area during the 1840s. He helped enslaved people find their pathway to freedom in Philadelphia. Caught for aiding and abetting runaway slaves . . . — Map (db m142503) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-232 — Original Site of the White Clay Creek Presbyterian Church
White Clay Creek Church existed prior to 1718, meeting in a small log cabin at this site. The area became known as Meeting House Hill. In 1721, White Clay Meeting formally became the White Clay Creek Congregation. Rev. Thomas Craighead purchased 402 . . . — Map (db m142498) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Warren M. RobbinsSept. 4, 1923 ~ Dec. 4th, 2008
Founder National Museum of African Art Smithsonian Institution "Our hope is to provide a foundation for interracial understanding." ~W.M.R. [1977]Map (db m142067) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 2728 Sherman Ave. N.W.
Edward Kennedy Ellington Residence 1919 - 1922 "I Love You Madly" Dedicated This Day, April 28, 1990 Marion Barry Jr., MayorMap (db m142334) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — St. Stephen & the Incarnation Episcopal Church
[Front:] • 1957: First integrated Episcopal church in DC • 1969: Began Loaves & Fishes feeding program; hot meals still served every Saturday and Sunday at Noon • 1975: Ordained four women to the priesthood, resulting in the . . . — Map (db m142192) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Island — A Symbol of ReconciliationGeorge Washington Memorial Parkway — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
On one side of Arlington Memorial Bridge stands the columned portico of Arlington House, the pre-Civil war home of Robert E. Lee. In that home, Lee made his decision to resign the US Army commission. He became the commanding general of Confederate . . . — Map (db m142185) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — "In Service"Lead Artist: Addison Karl. 2019.
This mural is dedicated to the members of the armed services of the United States who have defended the cause of freedom at home and abroad against all enemies, foreign and domestic. The installation of this mural was made possible through . . . — Map (db m142191) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Riggs Bank General History
The Washington Loan & Trust Company, a predecessor of the Riggs Bank, was established in 1889, at which time it was the first chartered bank in Washington, D.C. In 1923, The Trust built a new, one story stone bank at the corner of 17th & G Streets, . . . — Map (db m142261) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Riggs Bank Medallions
Notable architectural features comprised the Washington Loan & Trust Company Building, which originally stood at the corners of 17th and G St Northwest. Decorative elements from the bank building included the four medallions displayed here. Each . . . — Map (db m142262) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Riggs Bank Sculptural Elements
In 1923, The Washington Loan Trust built a new, one story stone bank at the corner of 17th & G Streets, N.W. but in 1974 the building was razed for the construction of the Federal Home Loan Bank Board building that currently stands at this location. . . . — Map (db m142263) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Kent — Battery Kemble ParkDefense of Washington
Built in the autumn of 1861 and enlarged in 1862, the battery was named for Gouveneur Kemble of Cold Spring, NY, a former superintendent of the West Point Foundry. The battery, which consisted of two 100-pound Parrott guns, was designed to sweep the . . . — Map (db m142203) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Noma/Sursum Corda — The Chicken and the Egg
Evoking NoMa's character as a transportation hub for goods and people, as well as its adjacency to the wholesale food market at Union Market Terminal, this sculpture also reminds us of the philosophical paradox around creation and transformation. . . . — Map (db m142455) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — "The Divine Nine Help Shape Black American History"
"The Divine Nine Help Shape Black American History" [Years of the "Divine Nine" historically black fraternities’ and sororities' founding shown] 1906 [Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity founded at Cornell University] 1908 [Alpha Kappa Alpha . . . — Map (db m142280) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — The Burton W. Johnson HouseEngine Company 4 — Organized February 21, 1870 —
Dedicated in memory of the first African American to serve the citizens of the District of Columbia as Fire Chief. Chief Johnson was appointed to Engine Company #4 on January 16, 1943 and retired as Fire Chief of the department on March 1, . . . — Map (db m142337) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, . . . — Map (db m142392) HM WM
Florida (Miami-Dade County), Homestead — Palm Lodge
Palm Lodge was built in 1912 for Colonel Henry Wallace Johnston, a hardware merchant from Lebanon, Kentucky. Col. Johnson planted an avocado grove and experimented with specimens of tropical fruits and flowers. One of his specialties was the . . . — Map (db m142235) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Palm Beach Gardens — John D. MacArthur1897-1978
On March 20, 1959, John D. MacArthur, multi-millionaire insurance magnet and landowner, announced plans to develop almost 4,000 acres and provide homes for 55,000 people in a new community. Mr. MacArthur envision the City streets lined with trees . . . — Map (db m142113) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 27 — The Hardman Family CemeteryEarly De Kalb County Landmark — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
The Hardman Family Cemetery is one of the oldest landmarks in DeKalb County and among the last vestiges of its early settlement. Both white settlers and enslaved African Americans were buried here. Nearby ran the Shallowford Indian Trail, a trade . . . — Map (db m142533) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 35 — Battle of Ezra Church Hood's Third Attack — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
After General John Bell Hood took command of the the army defending Atlanta he directed three Confederate failed attacks against Union Major General William T. Sherman's armies. On July 28, 1864, Union Major General Oliver O. Howard's "Army of the . . . — Map (db m142514) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 25 — Battle of Peach Tree CreekLoring's Attack — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
At 4:30 p.m. on July 20, 1864, 2,700 Confederate soldiers in two brigades of Major General William W Loring's division attacked the Federal '20th Corps, aligned north of Collier Road. "The enemy was in plain view about 700 yards distant occupying . . . — Map (db m142521) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 30 — Fort WalkerLemuel Grant's Perimeter "Line of Defenses" — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
This earthen fortification is one of the few remaining traces, of a ring of entrenchments that encircled Atlanta during the summer of 1864. The Atlanta City Council voted on May 22, 1863 to ask Confederate engineers to construct fortifications at . . . — Map (db m142500) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 26 — Peach Tree Creek Crossing Newton Protects Thomas's Left Flank — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
The new commander of the Army of Tennessee, Confederate General John B. Hood, hoped to destroy one of Union General William T. Sherman's three armies as it crossed Peach Tree Creek. Hood's target was Major General George Thomas's Army of the . . . — Map (db m142534) HM
Idaho (Fremont County), Paker — 449 — Sub-Irrigation on Egin Bench
The Egin bench area settled in approximately 1880 is watered by subirrigation, a system rare in the world.  Customary surface flooding irrigation did not work in this deep sandy soil.  The pioneers found that a natural substratum barrier trapped . . . — Map (db m142174) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — College Avenue Presbyterian Church1837
College Avenue Presbyterian Church, established 1837, formerly Upper Alton Presbyterian Church, heralds Elijah Parish Lovejoy, editor and martyr to freedom, as its first pastor. Emerson wrote, "The brave Lovejoy gave his breast to the bullets . . . — Map (db m142158) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Alton — Elijah Parish Lovejoy
Elijah Parish Lovejoy was the first pastor of Upper Alton Presbyterian Church, now College Avenue Presbyterian Church. A minister, teacher, newspaper editor, and martyr to free speech and the abolition of slavery, he was fatally shot on Nov. 7, . . . — Map (db m142159) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Columbia — Miller-Fiege HomeEstablished in 1850
In 1850, Peter Wilheim Miller constructed this vernacular German cottage. It was his home adjacent to his blacksmith shop that provided shoes for horses and repaired farm equipment in the 1850s and 1860s. The blacksmith shop eventually became an . . . — Map (db m140338) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Fults — In Memory of Robert KiddRevolutionary War — 1778 - 1780 —
[Left plaque:] Served under the command of Col. George Rogers Clark in the Virginia line, the capture of Kaskaskia & the capture of Fort Vincennes. [Right plaque:] In memory of Revolutionary War Soldier Robert Kidd . . . — Map (db m142149) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Schorr Brewing Co.117 North Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The first brewery established in Waterloo, the Koechel brewery, was built at this location in 1847 by john and Elizabeth Koechel. It is believed to have been a wooden structure which was replaced by a brick building in 1852. John Koechel ran . . . — Map (db m140421) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Garretson Home229 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The Garretson Home was built in 1852 as a family home in the Italianate style, by William C. Garretson, a prominent figure in the history of Monroe County. William Garretson was a direct relative of James Garretson, one of the founding fathers of . . . — Map (db m140387) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Schmitt-Nobbe Building110 South Church — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
The Schmitt-Nobbe Building has been a grocery store for the bulk of its existence. In 1941 Ambrose Schmitt inherited the property, along with several other properties, from his wife Annie Schmitt upon her death. Ambrose decided to leave it all to . . . — Map (db m140381) HM

497 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 297
Paid Advertisement