Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1421 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1221
 
Marker detail: Lord Beaverbrook image, Touch for more information
George Metcalf Archival Collection
Marker detail: Lord Beaverbrook
New Brunswick (Northumberland County), Miramichi — Lord Beaverbrook
English: From Newcastle paperboy to London press baron, Max Aitken was, in his time, one of the most powerful Canadians on the world's stage. A self-made millionaire, he worked his way into the limelight through a 50-year role in . . . — Map (db m142230) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Benedict ArnoldRebel and Loyalist / Rebelle et loyaliste
English: In 1741 Benedict Arnold was born in Connecticut to a prosperous family. Twice before he was 18 young Arnold ran away to join British forces fighting the French and Indian wars. When the American revolution began . . . — Map (db m141993) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Charles Gorman
English: Charles Ingraham Gorman, born 1897 in Saint John, quickly grew into a boy with great energy. He thrived on competition. Once he had ice skates he dazzled family and friends with his speed on ice. At ten Charlie competed . . . — Map (db m142002) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Colonel Gabriel G. LudlowFirst Mayor of Saint John / Premier maire de Saint John
English: Born to a wealthy American family in 1736, Gabriel Ludlow grew up a supporter of the King. When the American Revolution came Ludlow raised a battalion for General DeLancey's Brigade. He was commissioned colonel of the . . . — Map (db m141992) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — George B. OlandMoosehead Breweries / La Brasserie Moosehead
English: When George Bauld Oland was growing up in Dartmouth, N.S. he was surrounded by his brothers and sisters and many Oland cousins. Their homes were together by the Halifax harbour near the Oland family brewery. The popular . . . — Map (db m141995) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — John RobertsonLord of the North / Le Lord du Nord
English: At age 16 John Robertson left Scotland for Saint John to work as his uncle's clerk. From his arrival in 1817 Robertson's energy, vision and shrewd business sense were combined with significant social skills. People liked . . . — Map (db m141994) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — K. C. Irving
English: Kenneth Colin Irving, known to everyone as K.C., spent most of his life in New Brunswick. He was born (March 1899) in Buctouche, Kent County where his father owned various businesses. From his earliest years it was . . . — Map (db m142000) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Mills at Union Point / Les usines à Union Point
English: The site opposite, where Irving Pulp and Paper mill now stands, has been used for mill operations since the early 19th century. At that time the site was known as Union Point. Mills at Union Point 1835 . . . — Map (db m142003) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Robert Foulis
English: In 1822 when Robert Foulis arrived in Saint John, New Brunswick he was 30 years old, a well-educated Scotsman from Glasgow, recognized as brilliant in sciences, and trained as an engineer. He spent the rest of his life in . . . — Map (db m141998) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Sir Samuel Leonard TilleyFather of Confederation / Père de la Confédération
English: Born in 1818 at Gagetown, NB, Leonard Tilley apprenticed at age 13 to a pharmacist in the north end of Saint John known as Portland. As a certified pharmacist 7 years later, Tilley and his cousin opened "Peters and Tilley . . . — Map (db m141997) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — Thomas Stockwell SimmsT.S. Simms & Co., Brush Makers to the World / fabricant de brosses pour le monde entier
English: The American Civil War had a significant impact on young Thomas Stockwell Simms. A native of Maine, he tried to enlist in Lincoln's Republican army at age 16 when he was too young. At 18 he was accepted by the Seventh . . . — Map (db m141996) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — William Kilby ReynoldsBuider, Reversing Falls Bridge / Bâtisseur du pont des Chutes réversibles
English: Born in Maine in 1810, young Kilby Reynolds soon proved he had remarkable mechanical skills. His inventive mind enjoyed developing improvements and trying new ideas. In 1844 Reynolds purchased a large sawmill property . . . — Map (db m142001) HM
New Brunswick (Westmorland County), Shediac — Edward Richard McDonaldThe Inventor / L'inventeur — 1871-1952 —
English: Edward R. McDonald was born in Pointe-du-Chêne, New Brunswick, in 1871. He was the son of Captain William McDonald and Catherine Costello McDonald. He was married to Miss Annie Gertrude Ryan and was the father of four . . . — Map (db m142218) HM
New Brunswick (Westmorland County), Shediac — The Honorable Daniel Lionel Hanington1882-1883
English: Daniel Lionel Hanington was born on 27 June 1835 in Shediac, New Brunswick, to Daniel Hanington, Sr. and Margaret Peters. He attended Mount Allison Academy, and then studied law under Charles Fisher in Fredericton. He was . . . — Map (db m142004) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — Canada’s First ObservatoryLe premier observatoire au Canada
Three panels are located at this site. Chabert’s Mission / La mission du marquis de Chabert English: In 1750 the Marquis de Chabert, a French astronomer, was commissioned to go to North America to correct the maps of . . . — Map (db m142944) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — First LighthouseLe premier phare
English: Here are the ruins of Louisbourg’s first light, the earliest to be erected in Canada and the second in North America. Lit in 1734, it was badly damaged in a fire two years later, then quickly repaired. The replacement lantern was . . . — Map (db m142960) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — Fizel HouseMaison Fizel
English: These are the remains of a two and a half storey masonry house built in the late 1730s for merchant and militia captain Julien Fizel and his wife Françoise Tetard. The house served several purposes: the basement was used as . . . — Map (db m142961) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — French Naval Guns
French Naval Guns raised by the Dominion Coal Company in 1895 from the bottom of Louisburg Harbour and mounted at the Louisburg Railroad Station presented to the Fortress of Louisburg National Historic Site by the Dominion Steel . . . — Map (db m142962) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — Kennelly Point
English: This point of land is named after Capt. D.J. Kennelly (ca. 1831-1907), who had a house near here during the late 19th century. An Irish-born industrialist who came to Cape Breton during the 1870s, Kennelly was captivated by . . . — Map (db m142963) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — Lighthouse PointLa pointe du phare
English: During the 1745 and 1758 sieges the attackers built artillery batteries on Lighthouse Point to silence the Island Battery. This would have allowed warships to enter the harbour for a combined land and sea assault on the town. The . . . — Map (db m142964) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — 9 — Sydney and Louisbourg Railway Museum
Cape Breton’s mining industry dictated the need of an outlet in Louisbourg to link the various railways around Sydney with Louisbourg’s ice-free harbour, allowing for year-round shipping of coal. The first attempt in 1873 was a narrow, poorly . . . — Map (db m142965) HM
Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Regional Municipality), Louisbourg — The Siege LandingDébarquement des assiégeants
English: In both sieges the attackers made their initial landings in this cove. In 1745 the French defended the cove with only a small detachment but in 1757 they built and garrisoned extensive fieldworks here. The following year . . . — Map (db m142966) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — 1790 - 1990La Société Saint-Pierre / Église Saint-Pierre
1790-1990 On September 27, 1790, His Excellency William MacCormick, Governor of the Province of Cape Breton, graciously and generously granted 7 000 acres of land at Chéticamp to our «Quatorze Vieux». By this historical act, our . . . — Map (db m140169) HM
Ontario, Smiths Falls — Canadian Northern Railway Station / La Gare de la Societe Canadian Northern Railway

Opened in 1914, on the new Toronto-Ottawa line, this station reflected the western-based Canadian Northern's ambition to compete directly with the established Canadian Pacific Railway in populous Ontario in an attempt to achieve . . . — Map (db m142128) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Canadian Northern Train Station / Chemin de fer du Nord CanadienSmiths Falls — Rise at the Falls —

Construction of the Canadian Northern train station began in 1911 with an official opening in 1912. The building was intended to serve as a model of the railway's high architectural standards and to draw passenger traffic away from . . . — Map (db m142120) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Centennial Park1867 • Centennial of Confederation • 1967 — Smiths Falls —

Constructed by the Town of Smiths Falls in permanent commemoration of the Centennial of Confederation in Canada in 1967. Construction was made possible through the co-operation of the Province of Ontario the Government of . . . — Map (db m142164) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls and the Dam / Smiths Falls et le Barrage

Where are the Falls? The Town gets its name from a mile long series of rapids, which originally flowed from the water tower in Centennial Park, to the stone arch bridge on Beckwith Street. As boat traffic increased in the early . . . — Map (db m142161) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Smiths Falls Public Market BuildingLe bâtiment du marché public de Smiths Falls

The public Market Building was designed and constructed in 1892 by Matthew J. Ryan. Ryan was a local contractor who had also won contracts to build the Fire Hall, Town Hall, and St. Francis Catholic School. The interior of the . . . — Map (db m142168) HM

Ontario, Smiths Falls — Water Works / Station de Production d'Eau Potable

The current water system in Smiths Falls began in a three-story brick building in 1886 under the management of "Captain" Adam Foster. While it began on the east side of Beckwith Street to supply the water tanks in the CPR yards, it . . . — Map (db m142155) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — 1st Merrickville Scout GroupEst 1908

Established in 1908 by Ernest Thomas Pastor of the Methodist Church Merrickville, Ontario Canada The first Scout Troop in North America It was founded under the 1908 Scout Promise: "On my honour, I will do my duty to God and the . . . — Map (db m142180) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Blockhaus de Merrickville Blockhouse

The Merrickville blockhouse is one of four blockhouses constructed on the Rideau Canal. Its architecture is a typical design utilized throughout British North America. The 3.5 foot (1.06 metres) walls were designed to be strong enough . . . — Map (db m142312) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Canal Twins / Les canaux jumelésCanal Rideau Canal / Canal Caledonian Canal

Why the Canals are Twinned

These two canals were constructed in the early 19th century for military reasons. Both Canals grew into commercial highways, survived as recreational waterways and are now important heritage . . . — Map (db m142314) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Dr. Jim Connor

This Tree Dedicated by The World Wide Admirers of Robbie Burns Scotland's National Poet

To the Memory of Dr. Jim Connor

on the Occasion of the Tenth Anniversary of The Twinning of the Rideau and Caledonian Canals

~ July . . . — Map (db m142189) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Founding of Merrickville

In 1793 William Merrick (1760-1844), a Loyalist from Massachusetts, acquired from Roger Stevens a sawmill at the "Great Falls" on the Rideau River. Here he built new mills which formed the nucleus of a small community that grew up before 1816 . . . — Map (db m142241) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Jakes-MacLean BlockHeritage Conservation Easement Site / Site patrimonial protégé par une servitude

The heritage character and integrity of this property are protected by a legal agreement between the owner and the Ontario Heritage Foundation . . . — Map (db m142264) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Mechanics Institute and Library Associationcirca 1830-40

A Heritage Building — Map (db m142266) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville

The arrangement of the locks here is unique along the waterway with a small basin set between each lock. These basins were built to allow the locks to follow a natural depression in the ground and therefore minimize the amount of . . . — Map (db m142341) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville Blockhouse 1832

This is one of four blockhouses which, with some twelve other "defensible buildings", were constructed along the Rideau Canal. The canal, built 1826-32 by Lieutenant-Colonel John By, Royal Engineers, was designed to serve as an alternative . . . — Map (db m142181) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville Public and Continuation School1873 - 1965

This School Bell, a replica of the original tower bell is placed in this Cenotaph Park in Celebration of our School Reunion July 1995

Bell donated by: Alley Foundry Cairn erected by: George Cross in memory of his father Plaque . . . — Map (db m142272) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville United Churchcirca 1890 — A Heritage Building —

to serve a Methodist congregation — Map (db m142197) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville's Vimy Oak / Le chêne de Vimy du Village de Merrickville(Quercus robur)

This oak tree, planted on May 13, 2017, descends from acorns gathered after the Battle of Vimy Ridge, April 9-12, 1917.

It honours the memory of those who served including three soldiers from Merrickville who died . . . — Map (db m142269) HM WM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Mill's Furniture Showroom and Funeral Homecirca 1868

John Mills

A Heritage Building — Map (db m142267) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Old Town Hallcirca 1856

Restored by the Heritage Merrickville Foundation Date 1989 — Map (db m142242) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — St. Ann's Church, Merrickville, 1903

The first Catholics to settle in Merrickville were the families of the Irish, Scottish and French builders of the Rideau Canal, 1826-32. The area was originally served by priests visiting from Perth and Prescott and later from Smiths Falls and . . . — Map (db m142243) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — The Merrickville Blockhouse / Le blockhaus de Merrickville

When construction of the Rideau Canal began, Merrickville was already an established village and was considered by the authorities to be a logical target for an invader. Consequently Colonel John By urged strong measures for the . . . — Map (db m142194) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Twin Canals / Les canaux jumelés

The Caledonian Canal of Scotland, engineered by Thomas Telford and completed in 1822, is twinned with the Rideau Canal to commemorate their historical link, purpose and function, and to recognize the enduring importance of canals to . . . — Map (db m142184) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — World Wars Memorial

In Loving Memory of those who served and died 1914-1918 ———————— Spirit that made these Heroes dare To die or leave their children free, Bid time and Nature gently spare The . . . — Map (db m142276) HM

Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Convention nationale des Acadiens de 1884The National Acadian Convention of 1884
Français: Du 13 au 15 août 1884, Miscouche est la scène de la deuxième Convention nationale des Acadiens. Quelque 150 délégués officiels des trois provinces Maritimes se réunissent pour poursuivre les discussions entamées en 1881 . . . — Map (db m142398) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Fanfare de MiscoucheThe Miscouche Band
Français: Fondée en 1889 par le curé de la paroisse, la Fanfare de Miscouche constitue une institution culturelle importante pour la communauté. Elle porte d'abord le nom Heckman Band en l'honneur du dentiste local qui fit un don . . . — Map (db m142400) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La fondation de MiscoucheThe Founding of Miscouche
Français: Vers 1808, des familles écossaises catholiques, les Steele, McNeil et Gillis, sont les premières à s'établir dans l'emplacement actuel de Miscouche. En 1816, un groupe de familles acadiennes, qui habite la baie de . . . — Map (db m142394) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Le Couvent Saint-Joseph et les religieuses de la Congrégation de Notre-DameSaint Joseph's Convent and the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame
Français: Le Couvent Saint-Joseph a la particularité d'avoir été le premier couvent-école dans une paroisse acadienne à l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard et au Nouveau-Brunswick. Ouvert en 1864, et agrandi en 1922, il est placé sous la . . . — Map (db m142399) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'économieThe Economy
Français: En 1890, la paroisse de Miscouche compte 683 Acadiens francophones et 137 anglophones, principalement d'origine écossaise. La majorité des paroissiens vivent sur la ferme, bien que les activités économiques sont assez . . . — Map (db m142396) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'Église Saint-Jean-BaptisteSaint John the Baptist Church
Français: La première église paroissiale a été construite en 1819. L'église actuelle, la troisième, a été érigée en 1891-92 selon les plans de l'architecte insulaire George Edwin Baker, pendant la cure du père John A. MacDonald. . . . — Map (db m142397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Les Acadiens de la baie de MalpèqueThe Acadians of Malpeque Bay
Français: Le premier établissement acadien sur les rives de la baie de Malpèque remonte à 1728. Il était situé du côté ouest là où se trouve aujourd’hui la région de Port Hill. En 1752, cette communauté agricole comptait 32 . . . — Map (db m142401) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'évolution du village de MiscoucheThe Evolution of the Village of Miscouche
Français: La Base militaire de Summerside a eu un impact important sur la vie socio-économique de Miscouche pendant les 50 années de son existence (1941-1991). De nombreux paroissiens y ont trouvé de l'emploi et la communauté . . . — Map (db m142395) HM
Quebec (Acton MRC), Upton — La Colonisation d'Upton / The Colonization of Upton
Français: Le 21 mai 1800, le gouvernement canadien proclame le canton d'Upton et l'ouvre à la colonisation. La construction du tronçon de chemin de fer de la compagnie Saint-Laurent et Atlantique, reliant Longueuil à . . . — Map (db m142810) HM
Quebec (Drummond MRC), Wickham — Des ormes et des hommes / Elms and MenUne page de notre histoire / A page of our history — Wickham 1865-2015 —
Français: L'œuvre commémorant le 150e anniversaire de Wickham en 2015 réalisée par François Daigneault représente les 150 premières années de la municipalité. Cet artiste et concepteur a consacré onze mois de travail pour ce grand . . . — Map (db m142803) HM
Quebec (Papineau MRC), Montebello — La Gare / The Train Station
Français: La deuxième gare de Montebello est construite en 1931 avec le surplus des billots arrivés par train de l'ouest des États-Unis et qui ont servi, l'année précédente, à construire le Château Montebello. La gare est le . . . — Map (db m142544) HM
Quebec (Témiscouata MRC), Pohénégamook — La frontière canado-américaine / The Canada-USA Border
Français: La frontière actuelle entre le Canada et les États-Unis résulte de plus de 200 ans de traités et de négociations. L'histoire et le développement de la région du Transcontinental sont inhérents à cette frontière. . . . — Map (db m142715) HM
Quebec (Témiscouata MRC), Pohénégamook — Le bootlegging dans le Transcontinental / Bootlegging in the Transcontinental Region
Français: Les thèmes de la contrebande et de la prohibition de l'alcool nourrissent singulièrement l'imaginaire collectif québécois. Or, ces activités illicites font parties intégrantes de l'histoire de la région du . . . — Map (db m142714) HM
Quebec (Témiscouata MRC), Pohénégamook — Le chemin de fer Le Transcontinental / The Transcontinental Railway
Français: En 1896, le gouvernement de Wilfrid laurier rêve d'un autre chemin de fer. Il souhaite créer une nouvelle ligne ferroviaire transcontinentale. La prospérité qui marque le tournant du siècle et le flot de céréales des . . . — Map (db m142713) HM
Quebec (Témiscouata MRC), Pohénégamook — Les Chemins de Fer Du Témiscouata / The Témiscouata Railways
Français: Gare de St-Éleuthère Pour la construction de la voie ferrée, un camp d'ouvriers, pour ta plupart des Italiens et des Polonais, avait été installé à St-Éleuthère, de l'autre côté de ta rivière Boucannée. Deux d'entre . . . — Map (db m142716) HM
El Salvador, Cabañas (Ilobasco), Ilbasco — History of Ilobasco
Historia de Ilobasco Los primeros pobladores de llobasco durante la epoca precolombina fueron Lencas, posteriormente antes de la llegada de los Españoles esta fue invadida por guerreros pipiles, llegando a constituirse en una de las . . . — Map (db m142904) HM
El Salvador, Cabañas, Ilobasco — Father Marino Braspenning
Gratitude al Padre “Marino Braspenning” C.M. quien condujo a este pueblo por el buen sender hacia Dios; expreso “mi razon de ser son los pobres a ellos me debo.” Se ordeno sacerdote paulino en 1943. Llego a . . . — Map (db m142854) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — 1975 University of El Salvador Massacre
Homenaje de la Comunidad Universitaria a los Martires Caidos en la Masacre del 30 de Julio de 1975 Carlos Fonseca ∙ Carlos Humberto Hernández ∙ Roberto Antonio Miranda ∙ Eber Gómez Mendoza ∙ Balmore Cortez . . . — Map (db m142522) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Dominican Constitutionalist Revolution Square
“Plaza de la Revolución Constitucionalista Dominicana” 24 de abril de 1965 En honor a los héroes Coronel Rafael Tomás Fernández Domínguez ∙ Coronel Francisco Alberto Caamaño ∙ Coronel Juan Maria Lora Fernández . . . — Map (db m142754) WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Dr. Ignacio Martín-Baró
En el vigésimo aniversario de su martirio. Dr. Ignacio Martín-Baró Usted iluminó la Psicología en El Salvador. Sus Alumnas y Alumnos Antiguo Cuscatlán, Noviembre de 2009. English translation: On the 20th anniversary . . . — Map (db m142818) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Florentino Idoate
En agradecimiento al R. P. Florentino Idoate S.J. Primer Rector de esta universidad y a todas aquellas personas que hicieron posible su fundacion. San Salvador, noviembre de 1973 English translation: In thanks to . . . — Map (db m142788) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Francisco Morazán Quezada
“La educación popular es el lema de las naciones libres, para destruir los errores y preparar el triunfo de la razón y la libertad.” Francisco Morazán Francisco Morazán Quezada Paladín de la integración centroamericana . . . — Map (db m142690) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Heroes of July 30, 1975
XXXIX Conmemoración ∙ Heroes del 30 de Julio 1975 Seguimos su ejemplo de lucha Tarde del 30 de julio 1975 Miles de estudiantes universitarias y de secundaria marchan en protesta por la intervención militar al Centro . . . — Map (db m142755) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Ignacio Ellacuría Auditorium
Auditorio “Ignacio Ellacuria” 1930-1989 Al padre Ignacio Ellacuria, rector ejemplar, profeta de los pobres, incansable luchador por la justicia con agradecimiento UCA Universidad Centroamericana Jose Simeon Cañas San . . . — Map (db m142820) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Marshal Luis Alves de Lima e Silva
Bicentenario del Mariscal Luis Alves de Lima e Silva Duque de Caxias – El Pacificador Patrono del Ejercito Brasileño San Salvador, 25 de agosto de 2003 English translation: Bicentennial of Marshal Luis Alves de Lima e . . . — Map (db m142786) WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Monument to the University's Victims and Martyrs
Monumento Universitarias/os victimas y mártires del 30 de julio 1975 Asamblea General Universitaria 2003-2005 Comision gestora Adolfo Flores Cienfuegos ∙ Coordinador Antonio Salomon Rivas ∙ Carlos Enrique Lopez ∙ . . . — Map (db m142684) WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Mural in Honor of Salvadoran Women
Mural en Honor a Mujeres Emblemáticas de El Salvador Antonia Navarro Primera mujer graduada de la Universidad de El Salvavador y primera doctora de Centroamérica en un área que en esa época era exclusiva de los hombres, . . . — Map (db m142283) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Plaza Dr. Jorge Arias Gómez
“Puedo morir como nací, sabedlo, Puro, sencillo y optimista De pie sobre la tierra como un árbol, El las filas del Partido Comunista” La Asociación de Estudiantes de Derecho de la Facultad de Jurisprudencia y Ciencias . . . — Map (db m142519) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Students Peace Plaza
Plaza de los Estudiantes por la Paz Dedicada a todas y todos aquellos estudiantes de la UCA que murieron víctimas de la brutalidad en los tiempos aciagos de la Guerra Civil y en estos tiempos de paz tan marcados por la violencia. . . . — Map (db m142805) WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — The Francisco Javier Ibisate Building
Edificio “P. Francisco Javier Ibisate” 1930 - 2007 Compañero fiel, jesuita ejemplar, catedrático dedicado con la excelencia del amor y del conocimiento al quehacer universitario, apóstol de la construcción de un mundo más . . . — Map (db m142814) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — The Jaguar AltarEl Altar del Jaguar
The Jaguar Altar Escultura de altar de forma rectangular, presenta en su cara principal figuras zoomorfas esculpidas en alto y bajo relieve de posiblemente un Jaguar y en sus costados se encuentran diseños geométricos no muy . . . — Map (db m142756) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador — Elba and Celina Ramos Auditorium
Auditorio Elba y Celina Ramos Dignas y ejemplares mujeres, representantes de la sencillez, generosidad y laboriosidad del pueblo salvadoreños. En recuerdo agradecido a su cercanía y servicio a la Compañía de Jesús, que las llevó a . . . — Map (db m142787) HM WM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Aalen — Roman Cavalry Fort - North-west CornerRömisches Reiterkastell Aalen - Nordwestecke
Das ca. 6 ha große Kastell lag auf dem nach Südosten geneigten Hang, was noch heute gut im Gelände nachvollzogen werden kann. Von dieser Position aus hatten die Soldaten einen hervorragenden Überblick und konnten vor allem die wichtigen . . . — Map (db m142453) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Rems-Murr-Kreis), Aalen — Römisches Reiterkastell Aalen - Nordostecke / Roman Cavalry Fort Aalen - Northeastern Corner
Römisches Reiterkastell Aalen - Nordostecke

Das Kastell Aalen war mit ca. 6 ha Fläche das größte römische, Reiterkastell nördlich der Alpen. Die hier stationierte Ala II Flavia miliaria stellte mit ihren 1000 Soldaten die größte und . . . — Map (db m143249) HM

Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Rems-Murr-Kreis), Plüderhausen — 9 — Der Friedhof / The Cemetery
Als in Folge des 30-jährigen Krieges der Kirchhof bei der Sankt Margaretenkirche zu klein wurde, legte man am damals östlichen Ortsrand den neuen” Friedhof an. Dieser wurde seitdem mehrfach nach Norden und Osten erweitert. Am 9. . . . — Map (db m142649) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Altes Rathaus / Old City Hall
15. Jahrhundert 1744-1756 von J. J. M. Küchel umgebaut Fassadenmalerei von Johann Anwander 1755 Rokokobalkons und Wappenreliefs von Jos. Bonaventura Mutschele

-

(English translation:) Fifteenth Century. . . . — Map (db m142862) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Am Kranen / At the Cranes
Der alte Hafen lag seit dem 14. Jh. bis 1912 zentral inmitten der Stadt am linken Regnitzarm. Mit Kränen (1) wurden die flachen Lastkähne (2) der Regnitzschiffer be- und entladen. Die Schiffe fuhren flussabwärts über Main . . . — Map (db m142971) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Am Kranen 12aErbaut / Built 1887
bis 1920 Gasthaus zum Schwanen 1920 - 1970 Private kaufmännische Handelsschule Hartmann ab 1970 Bürozentrum und Museum -

(English translation:) Until 1920, Inn "at the Swans" 1920-1970 Private . . . — Map (db m142825) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Carl Friedrich Kunz
Carl Friedrich Kunz Zerbst 1785 - 1849 Bamberg

Handelte mit Wein und Büchern Betrieb eine Leihbibliothek war Verleger und Literat

Lebte 1808 bis 1811 in diesem Hause

Und zechte im Kellergewölbe mit E.T.A. Hoffmann . . . — Map (db m142575) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Catharinakapelle / Catherina Chapel
Gedächtnistafel Dieses Gebäude, in dem die Catharinakapelle sich befand, und die Gebäude Nro: 554 und 555a gehörten bis zum Jahre 1804 dem Bürgerspitale. Fürstbischof Friedrich Karl legte im Jahre 1737 zu deren . . . — Map (db m142549) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Christoph Clavius
Christoph Clavius wurde zu Bamberg 1538 geboren, trat in den Jesuiten-Orden zu Rom 1555, lehrte als Professor der Mathematik 20 Jahre, wurde beruhmter Schriftsteller derselben. Astronom und verfasser der gregorianischen Kalendars, starb zu . . . — Map (db m142554) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Claus Graf Stauffenberg
Claus Graf Stauffenberg Oberst I.G.

Symbol des Deutschen Widerstandes fuer seine Tat am 20 Juli 1944 -

(English translation:) Claus Graf Stauffenberg, Lieutenant-Colonel of the General Staff, . . . — Map (db m142634) HM WM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Dr. Georg Michael von Weber
Hier wurde geboren am 20 Januar 1768, der k. bayerische Appellations-Gerichts- Präsident Dr. Georg Michael v. Weber berühmt als Rechtsgelehrter gestorben am 2. März 1845. zu München.

-

(English . . . — Map (db m142590) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — E.T.A. Hoffman
. . . — Map (db m142592) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Haus St. Benedikt / St. Benedict House
1321 urkundlich erwähnt historischer Keller erhalten 1584 abgebrannt und vom Stadtgerichtsschreiber Joh. Merzell wieder aufgebaut (3 Wappen im Haus) Um 1725 Vogelstuckdecke im Gartensaal 1995 Museum für . . . — Map (db m142647) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Joseph Heller
Geburts- u. Sterbehaus des Heimatforschers u. Kunstschriftstellers Joseph Heller. Er hinterließ der Staatsbibliothek-Bamberg eine sehr wertvolle Kunstsammlung. *1798   +1849

-

(English translation:) . . . — Map (db m142601) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Juliana Marc
Haus zum goldenen Löwen In diesem Hause wohnte bis 20. XII. 1812 Juliana Marc. Schülerin von E.T.A. Hoffmann. Urbild seiner schönsten Frauengestalten. -

(English translation:) House at the Golden . . . — Map (db m142582) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Kaiserin Kunigund / Empress Kunigund
Mitbegründerin des Bistums Bamberg Statue 1750 von Johann Peter Benkert Kopie 1992, Original in der St. Jakobskirche Einzig erhalten gebliebene Figur von sechs der 1784 durch Hochwasser zerstörten . . . — Map (db m142650) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Ludwig-Donau-Main-Kanal (Ludwig Kanal) / The Ludwig Danube-Main Canal (Ludwig Canal)
Rhein, Main und Donau wollte schon Karl der Große mit der ab 793 gebauten Fossa Carolina verbinden. Dieses Projekt griff der bayerische König Ludwig I. (1825-1848) wieder auf. Er beauftragte 1830 Hein- rich von Pechmann mit der . . . — Map (db m142632) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — St. Martinskirche / St. Martin Church
Gedenktafel der alten St. Martinskirche mit massiven Thurme. Abgebrochen im Jahre 1804.

-

(English translation:)

This tablet commemorates the old St. Martin Church, with its massive tower. It was . . . — Map (db m142548) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Stapf'sches Haus / Stapf House
Anfang 18. Jhd. Repräsentatives Palais der Familie Stapf Nachahmung der fürstbischöflichen Residenz Portalfiguren von L. Gollwitzer Bedeutende Stuckdecken um 1730

-

(English translation:) Early 18th century. . . . — Map (db m142860) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Bamberg — Upper Bridge and City Hall on the Bridge
Die Obere Brücke (1) ist eine der ältesten steinernen Gewölbebrücken seit der Antike. Sie wurde im 12. Jh. erbaut und durch einen Turm (2) geschützt. In ihm hing die Sturmglocke, das Frühwarnsystem der Stadt. Nach einem schlimmen . . . — Map (db m142973) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Forchheim), Forchheim — Entrechtet, Deportiert, Ermordet / Disenfranchised, Deported, Murdered
Jenny Abraham * 1877 · Leo Abraham * 1875 · Emma Rosalie Braun * 1877 · Gottlieb Braun * 1883 · Rosa Braun * 1883 · Flora Heller * 1886 · Ilse Israel * 1911 · Sofie Kotz * 1860 · Julius Moritz Prager * 1895 · Sera Rosenbaum * . . . — Map (db m143548) WM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Obervolkach — 205 — Obervolkach und der Fischerei / Obervolkach and the Fish Ponds
Vom östlich gelegenen Steigerwald fließt die Volkach Richtung Westen der Mainschleife zu. An ihrer Mündung liegt die Stadt Volkach - oder, wie es in einer Urkunde aus dem Jahr 906 heißt, das "untere Volkach". Wenige Kilometer zuvor . . . — Map (db m143152) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Brünnstadt — Brünnstadt World Wars I and II Memorial
1914 - 1918 Kessler Alfred 1892 - 1914 · Markert Michael 1885 - 1914 · Spiegel Valentin 1887 - 1914 · Rudolph Georg 1889 - 1914 · Vogel Adalbert 1888 - 1915 · Rudolph Valentin 1894 - 1916 · Hösch Ludwig 1895 - 1916 · Burger . . . — Map (db m143388) WM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Kolitzheim — Franz Herbert
Geburts- und Wohnhaus des Ökonomierates Franz Herbert Geb. am 8. 5. 1885

Mitglied d. Deutschen Reichstages 1920-1933 Prasident d. Unterfrankischen Christl. Bauernvereins 1924-1933 Burgermeister d. Gemeinde . . . — Map (db m142988) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Lindach — Dorfkirche Lindach / Lindach Village Church
Sie ist den Kirchenpatronen Antonius dem Einsiedler und Marcus dem Evangelisten geweiht. Ihr Standort befindet sich am südlichen Ende des Dorfangers. Ein Friedhof (Kirchhof) und ein Karner (Gebeinhaus) komplettierten einst das . . . — Map (db m142316) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Barockes Zehnthaus mit Zehntkeller / Baroque Tithing House with Tithe Cellar
Dieses wohl älteste, denkmalgeschützte Haus Stammheims geht in seinem Ursprung auf das 16. Jahrhundert zurück. Später wurde es umgebaut und mit einer barocken Fassade umgestaltet. Zwei massive Sandsteinfiguren, der Kreuzschlepper . . . — Map (db m142228) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Das Historisches Rathaus / The Historic Town Hall
Das Historische Rathaus, ein denkmalgeschützter Renaissancebau aus dem Jahr 1604 bis 1606 wurde durch den Schultheiß Sebastian Leuer erbaut. Mit dem stattlichen Bau wollten die Stammheimer ihr Ansehen unter Beweis stellen. . . . — Map (db m143166) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Ehemaliger Klosterhof mit historischer Weinkelter / Former Monastery Building and Historic Winepress
Dem reichen Kloster St. Stephan in Würzburg mag wohl der repräsentative Renaissancebau des Rathauses weniger gefallen haben. Deshalb erbauten die Benediktinermönche um 1618 ein noch stattlicheres Gebäude, den Klosterhof mit Weinkeller, für ihren . . . — Map (db m143174) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Weinbauchronik von Stammheim / Stammheim Viniculture Timeline
Weinbauchronik von Stammheim.

Um 770 Seit Karl dem Großen Weinbau in Franken.

1240 Kloster Maibronn bezieht den Zehntwein von 50 Morgen Weingarten aus Stammheim.

1400 Kloster Ebrach unterhält einen Kelterhof Fuerstbischof . . . — Map (db m143169) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — 223 — Wein-Kult Tour bei Stammheim / Wine Cult-Tour in Stammheim
Als einziger Kolitzheimer Gemeindeteil liegt Stammheim direkt am Ufer des Maines. Daher prägt der Weinbau den malerischen 0rt. An den meist westlich ausgerichteten Talhängen gedeihen die Rebstöcke auf Verwitterungsböden des . . . — Map (db m143167) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3e — An den Kirchgaden / "At the Church Hall" Lane(ehem. Untere Judengasse) / Formerly "Lower Jews Lane"
Wie in der Beschreibung des Badhauses schon erwähnt, befanden sich in dieser Straße mehrere jüdische Wohnhäuser, einige davon sind noch erhalten. Im rückwärtigen Gebäude der Hs.-Nr. 3 hatte der Dorfschmied Valentin Schneider seine . . . — Map (db m143266) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3d — Badtor / "Bath" Gate
Bereits sieben Jahre nach dem 30-jährigen Krieg (1618-1648) begannen die umfangreichen Bauten an der Dorfbefestigung durch drei gemeindliche Toranlagen (Torhäuser).

Das „Untere Tor“ oder Badtor grenzte an dieser Stelle vor . . . — Map (db m143294) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3c — Das Badhaus / The Bathhouse
Die Geschichte des ehem. Gemeindebadhauses ist eng mit den berühmten Zeilitzheimer Badern ("Balbierern, Bruchschneidern") verknüpft. Als Wundärzte heilten sie Krankheiten, Blessuren und Brüche, ließen zur Ader oder setzten Schrumpfköpfe. Zwei . . . — Map (db m142651) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3h — Ehem. Dorfbrauerei / Former Village Brewery
Ehem. Dorfbrauerei mit Malzdörre und Kühlschiff

Der erster Hinweis über ein Brauhaus im Dorf an dieser Stelle findet sich im Tagebuch des Schullehrers Johann Christoph Sandner vom 26.01.1675.

Er berichtet: „Dieses 1675 . . . — Map (db m143301) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 1d — ehem. Pfarrhaus - Pfarrhof / Former Rectory - Vicarage
Hans Weiss war 1423 der erste urkundlich erwähnte Pfarrer von Zeilitzheim. Seit dieser Zeit lösten sich die Adelsgeschlechter derer v. Grumbach, der Fuchs von Bimbach, derer v. Wolfsthal und der Grafen v. Schönborn . . . — Map (db m143384) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 13a — Friedhof von 1608 / Cemetery from 1608
Der jetzige Friedhof wurde 1608 hier angelegt, da der Gottesacker in der Kirchenburg rund um die St. Sigismundkirche zu klein geworden war.

Auf der Sandsteintafel, die rechts neben dem Eingangsportal im Mauerwerk eingelassen ist, sind . . . — Map (db m142826) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 1c — Gasthaus "Zur Sonne" / Inn "at the Sun"
Im evangelischen Kirchenbuch wird 1578 schriftlich der erste Wirt „Zur güldenen Sunnen“ erwähnt.

Als Lehen der ev. Kirche zahlte Wolf Hilpert Zins (Gült) an die Kirchengemeinde.

43 Wirte waren bis heute Eigentümer . . . — Map (db m143234) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3f — Gemeindebäckerei / Community Bake-House
In diesem Gebäude befand sich das ehemalige Gemeindebackhaus. Es wurde 1584-1590 erstmals erwähnt, als Anton Weis "Gemeindediener uff dem Beckenhaus“ wohnte.

Michael Merz hieß der erste, 1606 schriftlich überlieferte . . . — Map (db m143285) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3b — Gerberhaus / Tanner's House (Brueckenstrasse 5)
Dieses ehem. Gerberanwesen mit seinem Doppelwalmdach, dem darunter liegenden Trockenboden und den Klappläden gehörte ebenso zur Dynastie der Gerber- familien von Zeilitzheim.

Das spätbarocke Erscheinungsbild wird durch die . . . — Map (db m142986) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 2c — Haus der Begegnung / "House of Encounter"
An dieser Stelle befand sich ehemals eine spätmittelalterliche Dorfschule. Hier unterrichtete von 1671 - 1720 der bekannte Lehrer Johann Christoph Sandner aus Markneukirchen im Vogtland. Seine Tagebuchaufzeichnungen haben sich bis . . . — Map (db m143347) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 1e — Rathaus / City Hall
Schon 1606 berichtet die Gemeinderechnung von der Anschaffung von "acht liedernen Eymern (Ledereimern) uff's Rathaus zu bessern” (Brandschutz).

Der heutige Barockbau entstand 1696/98 mit Dorfschmiede und kleinen . . . — Map (db m142281) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 4a — Stone Bridge
Diese doppelbogige Brücke wurde 1715 als "steinern Bruck" erstmals erwähnt.

Mit ihrer Sandsteinverkleidung, den halbrunden Mittelsäulen und Kuppelabdeckungen überspannt sie die Volkach.

Die ursprüngliche angrenzende Furt . . . — Map (db m142985) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3i — Storchenbrünnlein / Little Stork Spring
Das Baeren- oder Storchenbrünnlein wurde erstmals 1820 schriftlich erwähnt.

Der Grund, auf dem es sich ursprünglich befand, gehörte einer Familie namens Baer.

Der damalige Standort lag an den "Oberen Dorfwiesen” in der . . . — Map (db m142984) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Würzburg), Sommerhausen — Bartholomäus Kirche / Church of Bartholomäus
Im Ursprung Mitte des 13. Jh. entstanden

Erweiterungen im 16. Jh., Kirchenschiff 1740

Baumeister Leopold Retty aus Ansbach

Grafenloge, Kanzel und Epitaph aus der Werkstatt Georg Brenk -

(English . . . — Map (db m142221) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Würzburg), Sommerhausen — Franz Daniel Pastorius - The First German Settler in America
In honor of Franz Daniel Pastorius First German Settler in America and Founder of Germantown, Pennsylvania In Memory of the 300th Anniversary of his Emigration Presents this Plaque to the place of his birth Sommerhausen . . . — Map (db m142223) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Würzburg), Sommerhausen — Franz Daniel Pastorius Birthplace
In diesem Hause wurde am 26.9.1651 der erste deutsche Amerika-Auswanderer, Franz Daniel Pastorius, geboren, welcher die Stadt Germantown gegrundet hat.

Errichtet zum 300. Geburtstag 6.10.1951

-

(English . . . — Map (db m143230) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Altes Rathaus - Old Town Hall
(Lower panel:)

1898

Seinerzeit größter Gebäudekomplex mit Innenhöfen in Frankfurt am Main nördlich und südlich der neu trassierten Bethmannstraße

Von Atlanten getragene Bogenbrücke als Verbindung von . . . — Map (db m143543) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Eiserner Steg / The Iron Bridge
Geschichte Des Eisernen Steges

1867 Frankfurter Burger Gründen eine Aktien-"Gesellschaft zur Errichtung einer eisernen Brücke am Fahrtor"

1868/69 Bau des Eisernen Steges nach dem Entwurf von Johann Peter Wilhelm . . . — Map (db m142278) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Hauptbahnhof - Main Station
1883-1888

Größte Eisenbahn-Station Europas im Stil der Neorenaissance

Tonnenüberwölbtes Empfangsgebäude Repräsentative Stadifassade mit reichem allegorischem Skulpturenprogramm

Architekt H. Eggert

Dreischiffige . . . — Map (db m142232) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Heinrich von Gagern
Im Gedenken an Heinrich von Gagern 1799-1880 Erster Präsident der Nationalversammlung Reichsministerpräsident Burschenschafter Vorkämpfer für Deutsche Freiheit in Einheit -

(English translation:) . . . — Map (db m143376) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Paulskirche / St. Paul's Church
1790-1833 Klassizistischer Zentralbau anstelle der gotischen Barfüßerkirche Stadtbaumeister Johann Andreas Liebhardt Classicist central building that replaced the Gothic Barfüsser Church Municipal Master Builder . . . — Map (db m143510) HM
Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Philipp Jacob Spener1635-1705
Kirchen- und Sozialreformer Senior der Lutherischen Pfarrer Frankfurts 1666-1686, Gründer des ersten Frankfurter Armen-Waisen-und Arbeitshauses Verfasser der Pia Desideria

Er wirkte an der Barfüsserkirche / Die bis zum . . . — Map (db m143381) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Pre-Parliament and the National Assembly
Hier tagte das Deutsche Vorparlament vom 31. März bis zum 3. April 1848 und die Deutsche National- -Versammlung vom 18. Mai 1848 bis zum 30. Mai 1849. -

(English translation:) Here met the . . . — Map (db m143348) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Walter Kolb1902-1956
Frankfurter Oberbürgermeister von 1946 bis 1956 Mit dem Neuaufbau der Kriegzerstörten Paulskirche im Jahr 1948 setzte er nach der Diktatur der Nationalsozialisten ein Zeichen für die Freiheit und nationale Einheit . . . — Map (db m143380) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — St Patrick's Church, Celbridge

By 1855 the Mass House which had served the people of Celbridge for over one hundred years was in a poor state of repair. It was situated in front of the present church. It was known as a Mass House as Mass was the only service allowed in it. . . . — Map (db m143176) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — A Brief History of Celbridge Poor Law UnionCelbridge Poor Law Union Burial Ground

The Irish Poor Law System

The origins of the Irish Workhouse system lie in the Irish Poor Law Act passed by the parliament of the United Kingdom in 1838. The Act, entitled an Act for the More Effectual Relief of the Poor in Ireland . . . — Map (db m143231) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Arthur's Way / Cosán ArthurIn the footsteps of Arthur Guinness — Celbridge to Hazelhatch —

"Along the banks of that river, amid the groves and bowers of Swift and Vanessa, I grow convinced that I was right." Henry Grattan

INTRODUCTION Celbridge (Cill Droichid: 'Church by the Bridge' originally angicised to . . . — Map (db m143210) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Castletown

Tá Eastát Castletown, Cill Droichid i mbaile clúiteach Arthur Guinness agus tailte cúirtéireachta Jonathan Swift, údar Gulliver's Travels.

Lonnaithe sa stair chlúiteach seo, is é Castletown an teach mór ar stíl Phallaidiach is mó . . . — Map (db m143409) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Celbridge AbbeyHistoric Buildings of Celbridge

• The original Celbridge Manor was built at the beginning of the 18th century by Bartholemew Van Homrigh, a wealthy Dutch merchant, who was Purchaser of Provisions and Commissioner of Ordnance for the victorious forces of King William . . . — Map (db m143209) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Celbridge Union Workhouse CemeteryIs talamh naofa i seo — [This Is Sacred Ground] —

Pray for the souls of all poor and afflicted whose bodies have been laid in this cemetery since 1841 R.I.P. ————————————— This Holy Ground is . . . — Map (db m143226) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Celbridge Union Workhouse Cemetery GateGeata na marbh — [The Gate of the Dead] —

Through this gate from 1841 onwards passed the bodies of deceased inmates of the Celbridge Union Workhouse on their way to burial in these grounds. The Workhouse System conducted its burials in a characteristically efficient manner . . . — Map (db m143227) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Edward Bridgeman

C Company, 1st Battalion, Dublin Brigade, I.V.

Four Courts & Interned in Stafford & Frongoch 1916

Unveiled by Cllr. Frank O'Rourke 21st February 2016 — Map (db m143171) WM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Kildrought House1719

An Early Georgian Merchant's House — Map (db m143168) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Sir Gerald Dease, K.C.V.O.

Erected by his numerous friends of all classes and of all creeds in memory of Sir Gerald Dease, K.C.V.O. Born 17th July 1831, died 18th October 1903. A man of stainless honour, who used his high position and great . . . — Map (db m143180) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Welcome to CelbridgeOur Story

The origins of our town In ancient times there were five principal roads in Ireland. One of these roads was known as the "Slí Mhór". It extended from Dublin Bay to Galway Bay and forded the river Liffey in Celbridge just below where the . . . — Map (db m143545) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Leixlip — The Wonderful Barn

In 1740-41, famine spread across Europe, following a great frost[,] the so-called 'Black Spring'. Rivers froze, and water-powered mills that ground grain into flour stopped working. This led to a flour scarcity, hoarding by wholesalers, . . . — Map (db m143165) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Maynooth — Caisleán mhagh nuadhad / Geraldine Castle

Muiris Mac Gearailt a thóg 1176 : rinneadh méadh air ó am go ham ina dhiaidh sin. [?] dtús na 14ú aoise ba é príomháit chónaithe ghearaltach chill dara é, chuir "Tomás an Tsíoda" i dtreo cosanta in aghaidh na sasanach é i . . . — Map (db m143158) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Maynooth — James, Duke of Leinster
. . . — Map (db m143143) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Maynooth — St. Mary's Church (Anglican)

The Church of St. Mary's - a living centre of worship today - is also a monument to the Fitzgerald family whose history is permanently linked with the nearby Geraldine Castle. Originally built as a private chapel for the castle, in 1248 St. . . . — Map (db m143157) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Maynooth — St. Mary's Church of Ireland East Window

This Large East Window is unusual because it is made of wood and set in stone. During the restoration of 1770 this window was taken from the church of Laraghbryan, which had fallen into ruins[.] Note how the stonemason corrected the misspelling . . . — Map (db m143155) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Offaly), Birr — John Farrell's Field

Site of the first All-Ireland Hurling Final 1888 — Map (db m143126) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Offaly), Birr — Site of First All-Ireland Hurling Final

The first All-Ireland hurling final... was played on a field at this site on Sunday, 1 April 1888 between Thurles, the champions of Tipperary, and Meelick, a team drawn from the East Galway banks of the River Shannon.

Birr - then also . . . — Map (db m143128) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Offaly), Tullamore — Tullamore Distillery

Built 1825 Formerly Mill House, Flour Mill And Kiln At Rear Incorporated In Tullamore Distillery In 1830 — Map (db m143141) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Offaly), Tullamore — World Wars Memorial

Erected to the glorious memory of the men of Offaly King's County who gave their lives in the Great Wars 1914-1919 1939-1945 — Map (db m143134) WM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Atlantic College of Wireless & Cable Telegraphy1911 • 1919 — Atlantic Telegraph Cables Trail .1857-1966. Stop C5 —

This Marconi Licensed college was founded here in 1911 by Maurice Fitzgerald, formerly of Ballinskelligs Cable Station.

Many wireless and cable operators were trained here, including Republican Volunteer Con Keating of Reenard, Cahersiveen. . . . — Map (db m142388) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty1898 - 1963

In the grounds of the O'Connell Memorial Church lies the grave of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty.

In Rome during World War II, he bravely organised an elaborate escape network for Allied POW's and civilians. When the l[A]lies entered Rome in . . . — Map (db m142356) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — O'Connell

1775 - Birth of Daniel O'Connell

1798 - Called to the Irish Bar

1824 - Organises Catholic Rent and Tenants Act

1828 - Elected to Parliament

1829 - Catholic Emancipation Act

1841 - Lord Mayor of Dublin

1847 - Dies Genoa. . . . — Map (db m142619) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — O'Connell Memorial ChurchDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 9

In 1879 Rev. Timothy Brosnon was appointed Parish Priest of Cahersiveen and as a great admirer of Daniel O'Connell, he hoped to erect a Church that would suitably mark the centenary of his birth in 1775. Having received an audience with Pope . . . — Map (db m142353) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — O'Connell's Birth Place

At Carhan Bridge O'Connell's home comes into view on the banks of Carhan River. He was born on August 6th 1775 at Carhan House. His parents were Morgan O'Connell and Catherine Mullane who hailed from North Cork. There were 10 siblings in the . . . — Map (db m142604) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Presentation ConventDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 10

In the early 19th century Daniel O'Connell was very conscious of the need to educate the people of South Kerry and so he bought a rectors lodge in Bank Street. He invited nuns from the Presentation Order to come and set up a school to help . . . — Map (db m142380) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Primrose WalkDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 4 — 4A Carraig na gConnaill, 4B-D The Race Course, National School & O'Connell Church —

Leaving the town park the trail proceeds to Reenrusheen road. Locally this road is known as Primrose walk. John Primrose was married to a cousin of Daniel O'Connell and he appointed Primrose as his agent in the area. O'Connell was finding it . . . — Map (db m142474) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Railway and O'ConnellDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 2

Early in the 1830's the bringing of the Railway to South Kerry was discussed. O'Connell's idea was to see the railway touching the southern coastline and to continue from Cahersiveen to Cork via Kenmare. The line between Farranfore and . . . — Map (db m142461) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Ringforts

Cahersiveen Cathair saidhbhin 'The fort of Saidhbin (Little Sarah)

Saidhbin was said to be the daughter of McCarthy Mor who held the lands of Iveragh. She was given the fort and the surrounding area, on the banks of the . . . — Map (db m142406) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Sive FortDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 3

Moving away from the Railway Bridge and the River Fertha the town park comes into view. Here was the original site of the fort of Sive which gives its name to the town of Cahersiveen. At one time there was a small village in the vicinity but . . . — Map (db m142468) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Abbey of the Holy Cross

The parish of Caher was once under the instruction of this 17th century Roman Catholic Church. The graveyard around the Church has recently been restored and this peaceful area of Cahersiveen is the resting place of Morgan and Catherine . . . — Map (db m142683) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Barracks Heritage CentreDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 1

The Heritage Centre came about following the defeat of the Fenians in 1867. The English government was anxious about the safety of the Valentia Atlantic cable station. A new constabulary barracks was built on the banks of the River Fertha and . . . — Map (db m142383) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Daniel O'Connell Memorial ParkCahersiveen - Cathair Saidhbhin (the Town or Fort of Little Sive)Twinned with Pluvigner, France.

"The town which climbs the mountain and looks upon the sea in sleeping time or waking that's where I want to be." Sigerson Clifford 1913-1985

As well as being the birthplace of Daniel O'Connell, Cahersiveen has more connections . . . — Map (db m142607) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Daniel O'Connell Memorial Park

This Parkland was donated to the people of Cahersiveen in 1997 by John (Kitty) O'Sullivan, and the development was undertaken by ACARD Ltd. Across the Carhan River you can see the ruins of Carhan House, which on 6th August 1775 was the . . . — Map (db m142681) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Railway

In 1893 the Killorglin to Valentia branch of The Great Southern and Western Railway opened. The need by local farmers and fishermen to get their produce to market in Britain was identified and the provision of a grant of £85,000, from the . . . — Map (db m142419) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — War Memorial

Tógadh an leacht so 15 cuimhne oifigeach agus óglach de'n tríomhadh bhriogaid ciarraidhe agus na laoch eile a fuair bas ar son poblacht na hÉireann . . . — Map (db m142806) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Castlemaine — Proclamation of the Irish Republic

Poblacht na h'Eireann, The Provisional Government of the Irish Republic to the People of Ireland. [balance of proclamation not transcribed]

Thomas MacDonagh, Executed 3rd May 1916

Joseph Mary . . . — Map (db m142791) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Glenbeigh — Glenbeigh

The Great Southern and Western Railway operated a branch line of 39.5 mls. from Farranfore to Valentia Harbour for 67 yrs. The first section of the line, 12.5 mls. opened 15th Jan. 1885. The remaining 27mls. started in 1890; crossing three . . . — Map (db m142761) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Kells — John Golden and the South Kerry Fenians1867 - 2017 — Walk of the Ancestors —

In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the Fenian Rising and the efforts of John Golden and the South Kerry Fenians

John Golden 1845 - 1883 — Map (db m142699) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Killorglin — The Ballykissane Drowning Tragedy: Good Friday 1916

As part of their preparations for the 1916 Easter Rising, the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB) decided on a plan to seize a wireless transmitter from the Atlantic College in Cahersiveen to contact the Aud, the German vessel which carried arms . . . — Map (db m142785) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Killorglin — The Ballykissane Tragedy: Good Friday 1916

In commemoration of the first casualties of the 1916 Rising

Erected at Easter 2016 ————————————— Mar chomóradh ar na chéad . . . — Map (db m142789) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Killorglin — Townsend BlennerhassettIn memory of

Late Captain Kerry Militia Drowned in Castlemaine Bay 20th June 1867 when gallantly attempting to save the life of a fellow creature

Erected by his brother officers of the Kerry Militia in testimony of the . . . — Map (db m142765) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Adare — Augustinian Friary / Mainistir na nAgaistíneach

The Augustinian Friary, known as the Black Abbey, was founded in 1316 by the Earl of Kildare. It is now the Church of Ireland (Anglican) parish church and school.

The Augustinian friars first came to Dublin from England in about 1260. They . . . — Map (db m143072) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Adare — Countess Dunraven Fountain

In grateful memory of the zeal shewn by the people of this village in quenching a fire at the offices of Adare Manor on the 18 April 1844 This supply of water was brought and fountain erected by Caroline Countess of Dunraven Lord . . . — Map (db m142967) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Adare — Estate and Houses of Adare / Eastát agus Tithe Áth Dara

The old town of Adare, which stood on the northern bank of the river Maigue near the castle, was destroyed during 16th century wars. Almost all of the present town was built in the 19th century.

In 1683 Thady Quin, a local landowner, leased . . . — Map (db m142919) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Adare — History of Adare Methodist Church

1756-1778 John Wesley, Founder of the Methodist Church visited this area on ten occasions during these years. A strong local tradition affirms that he preached under an ash tree near the ruin of the Franciscan Abbey on at least one of . . . — Map (db m142812) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Adare — Richard, First Earl of Dunraven
. . . — Map (db m143081) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Adare — Trinitarian Monastery / Mainistir Ord na Tríonóide

Founded in 1230, this is the only monastery of the Trinitarian order known in Ireland. It is now Holy Trinity Abbey, Adare's Roman Catholic church.

The Trinitarian order - or the Order of the Redemption of Captives - was founded in France . . . — Map (db m142969) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Adare — Washing Pool / Linn Níocháin

This small pool, formed by a tributary of the river Maigue, was the traditional place for the women of Adare to wash their family clothes. It was also used as a watering place for animals.

[Illustration captions, counterclockwise from top . . . — Map (db m142922) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Limerick), Newcastle West — War MemorialRoll of Honour / Liosta na laoch

CAPT. DONAL SHEEHAN, Monagae, drowned at Ballykissane Pier, when going to meet the German gunship the "Aud" 20/4/1916

CAPT. CON COLBERT, Castlemahon, fought in the GPO during Easter week, executed by firing squad 7/5/1916

LT. . . . — Map (db m143114) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Tipperary), Dromineer — Dromineer Castle

The ruined castle before you was first built by the Norman followers of Theobald Butler as a 2 storey hall-keep in the 13th/14th c. One Thomas de Cantwell paid tax for the land of the manor of Dromineer in 1299. In the late 14th c. the land . . . — Map (db m143104) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Tipperary), Dromineer — The Canal Store

Dromineer in the 19th century-especially before the coming of the railway to Nenagh in 1863-was in a real sense the port of northwest Tipperary. Dromineer was the transit point for much of the commercial traffic for the area, including the . . . — Map (db m143098) HM

Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — American Photo Supply
En este edificio estuvo la American Photo Supply, donde se comercializaron las primeras cámaras fotográficas que llegaron a México. English translation: In this building was the American Photo Supply, where the . . . — Map (db m143181) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco González Bocanegro
En esta casa vivió Francisco González Bocanegra, poeta y dramaturgo, autor de los versos del Himno Nacional Mexicano. English translation: In this house lived Francisco González Bocanegra, poet, playwright and . . . — Map (db m143173) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Gonzalo A. Esteva
En esta casa vivió Gonzalo A. Esteva, periodista, fundador con Altamirano de la revista El Renacimiento (1869) y director del periódico El Nacional (1880). English translation: In this house lived . . . — Map (db m143175) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — José Fernando Ramírez
Aquí vivió el historiador y arqueólogo Don José Fernando Ramírez. 1855. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here lived the historian and archaeologist José . . . — Map (db m143184) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan de Dios Peza
En esta casa nació y vivió Juan de Dios Peza (1852-1910), author de Hogar y Patria. Sus poemas sentimentales y de ocasión formaron el gusto de quienes los escuchaban y leían. English translation: In this house . . . — Map (db m143172) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan de la Granja
En esta casa vivió Juan de la Granja (1785-1853), diplomático y empresario, introductor del telégrafo en México en el siglo XIX. English translation: In this house lived Juan de la Granja (1785-1853), diplomat . . . — Map (db m143179) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Manuel Payno
En esta casa vivió el escritor Manuel Payno (1820-1894), autor de dos novelas fundadoras de las letras mexicanas, Los bandidos de Río Frío y El Fistol del diablo. English translation: In this house . . . — Map (db m143177) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Monolith of Coatlinchán
Este monolito fue encontrado en las estribaciones del pueblo de Coatlinchán, Estado de México, cuyos habitantes lo donaron generosamente a este Museo en 1964. La monumental escultura está inconclusa y representa a la deidad de agua, . . . — Map (db m143383) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — New Temple of San Pablo
Templo de San Pablo el Nuevo. Edificado en el siglo XVIII debido a la secularización del antiguo Templo de San Pablo, hoy conocido como San Pablo el Viejo. English translation: New Temple of San Pablo Built in . . . — Map (db m143292) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Temple of Santa Catalina de Siena
Templo de Santa Catalina de Siena. Aquí estuvo el primer convento de dominicas que hubo en México. Fue patrocinado por tres hermanas a las que la gente de la ciudad conoció como Las Felipas. 1623. English . . . — Map (db m143145) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Allende), San Miguel de Allende — Complex B: The House of the Longest Night
Complejo B La casa de la noche más larga Se ubica en el cuadrante sureste de la zona arqueológica. Cuenta con un basamento piramidal asociado a un patio hundido y está delimitado por plataformas a los cuatro costados. Se . . . — Map (db m142784) HM
Mexico, Guanajuato (Municipality of Dolores Hidalgo), Xoconoxtle el Grande — Parish of San José Joconoxtle
X-8-MDCCCLXIV Ereccion de esta parroquia de Sn. Jose del Joconoxtle, Gto. --- X-8-MCMLXIV. 1er Centenario. A la memoria del Ilmo. Sr. Sollano que la erigio. English translation: October 8, 1864 Erection of this . . . — Map (db m142156) HM
Mexico, Nuevo León (Municipality of Monterrey), Monterrey — Epigmenio R. Melo
En esta casa nacio y fallecio el Lic. Epigmenio R. Melo 1836-1899 Maestro, organista, poeta y compositor. Fundador de la primera orquesta en 1866 con 26 musicos, cubriendo eventos sociales y temporadas de opera durant mas de 24 años, . . . — Map (db m142106) HM
Mexico, Nuevo León (Municipality of Monterrey), Monterrey — Eugenio Castillón and Venustiano Carranza
En esta casa vivió el historiador y político don Eugenio Castillón y en 1915 se alojó en ella don Venustiano Carranza. R. Ayuntamiento de Monterrey 1997-2000. English translation: In this house lived the . . . — Map (db m142089) HM
Mexico, Nuevo León (Municipality of Monterrey), Monterrey — Fray Cristóbal Bellido y Fajardo
Fray Cristóbal Bellido y Fajardo, destacado educador y autor del plano de la ciudad de 1791, coincidiendo en la abundancia de los ojos de agua, dijo que: “En el mismo sitio de manantial y sin llegar a su tanque o común . . . — Map (db m142111) HM

1421 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1221
Paid Advertisement