Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

210 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 10
 
Merrickville Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 18, 2019
Merrickville Marker
Ontario (Leeds and Grenville United Counties), Merrickville — Merrickville

The arrangement of the locks here is unique along the waterway with a small basin set between each lock. These basins were built to allow the locks to follow a natural depression in the ground and therefore minimize the amount of . . . — Map (db m142341) HM

Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Convention nationale des Acadiens de 1884The National Acadian Convention of 1884
Français: Du 13 au 15 août 1884, Miscouche est la scène de la deuxième Convention nationale des Acadiens. Quelque 150 délégués officiels des trois provinces Maritimes se réunissent pour poursuivre les discussions entamées en 1881 . . . — Map (db m142398) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La Fanfare de MiscoucheThe Miscouche Band
Français: Fondée en 1889 par le curé de la paroisse, la Fanfare de Miscouche constitue une institution culturelle importante pour la communauté. Elle porte d'abord le nom Heckman Band en l'honneur du dentiste local qui fit un don . . . — Map (db m142400) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — La fondation de MiscoucheThe Founding of Miscouche
Français: Vers 1808, des familles écossaises catholiques, les Steele, McNeil et Gillis, sont les premières à s'établir dans l'emplacement actuel de Miscouche. En 1816, un groupe de familles acadiennes, qui habite la baie de . . . — Map (db m142394) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — Le Couvent Saint-Joseph et les religieuses de la Congrégation de Notre-DameSaint Joseph's Convent and the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame
Français: Le Couvent Saint-Joseph a la particularité d'avoir été le premier couvent-école dans une paroisse acadienne à l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard et au Nouveau-Brunswick. Ouvert en 1864, et agrandi en 1922, il est placé sous la . . . — Map (db m142399) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'économieThe Economy
Français: En 1890, la paroisse de Miscouche compte 683 Acadiens francophones et 137 anglophones, principalement d'origine écossaise. La majorité des paroissiens vivent sur la ferme, bien que les activités économiques sont assez . . . — Map (db m142396) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'Église Saint-Jean-BaptisteSaint John the Baptist Church
Français: La première église paroissiale a été construite en 1819. L'église actuelle, la troisième, a été érigée en 1891-92 selon les plans de l'architecte insulaire George Edwin Baker, pendant la cure du père John A. MacDonald. . . . — Map (db m142397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Prince County), Miscouche — L'évolution du village de MiscoucheThe Evolution of the Village of Miscouche
Français: La Base militaire de Summerside a eu un impact important sur la vie socio-économique de Miscouche pendant les 50 années de son existence (1941-1991). De nombreux paroissiens y ont trouvé de l'emploi et la communauté . . . — Map (db m142395) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — 1975 University of El Salvador Massacre
Homenaje de la Comunidad Universitaria a los Martires Caidos en la Masacre del 30 de Julio de 1975 Carlos Fonseca ∙ Carlos Humberto Hernández ∙ Roberto Antonio Miranda ∙ Eber Gómez Mendoza ∙ Balmore Cortez . . . — Map (db m142522) HM WM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Mural in Honor of Salvadoran Women
Mural en Honor a Mujeres Emblemáticas de El Salvador Antonia Navarro Primera mujer graduada de la Universidad de El Salvavador y primera doctora de Centroamérica en un área que en esa época era exclusiva de los hombres, . . . — Map (db m142283) HM
El Salvador, San Salvador (Municipality of San Salvador) — Plaza Dr. Jorge Arias Gómez
“Puedo morir como nací, sabedlo, Puro, sencillo y optimista De pie sobre la tierra como un árbol, El las filas del Partido Comunista” La Asociación de Estudiantes de Derecho de la Facultad de Jurisprudencia y Ciencias . . . — Map (db m142519) HM WM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Aalen — Roman Cavalry Fort - North-west CornerRömisches Reiterkastell Aalen - Nordwestecke
Das ca. 6 ha große Kastell lag auf dem nach Südosten geneigten Hang, was noch heute gut im Gelände nachvollzogen werden kann. Von dieser Position aus hatten die Soldaten einen hervorragenden Überblick und konnten vor allem die wichtigen . . . — Map (db m142453) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Lindach — Dorfkirche Lindach / Lindach Village Church
Sie ist den Kirchenpatronen Antonius dem Einsiedler und Marcus dem Evangelisten geweiht. Ihr Standort befindet sich am südlichen Ende des Dorfangers. Ein Friedhof (Kirchhof) und ein Karner (Gebeinhaus) komplettierten einst das . . . — Map (db m142316) HM
Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Atlantic College of Wireless & Cable Telegraphy1911 • 1919 — Atlantic Telegraph Cables Trail .1857-1966. Stop C5 —

This Marconi Licensed college was founded here in 1911 by Maurice Fitzgerald, formerly of Ballinskelligs Cable Station.

Many wireless and cable operators were trained here, including Republican Volunteer Con Keating of Reenard, Cahersiveen. . . . — Map (db m142388) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty1898 - 1963

In the grounds of the O'Connell Memorial Church lies the grave of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty.

In Rome during World War II, he bravely organised an elaborate escape network for Allied POW's and civilians. When the l[A]lies entered Rome in . . . — Map (db m142356) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — O'Connell Memorial ChurchDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 9

In 1879 Rev. Timothy Brosnon was appointed Parish Priest of Cahersiveen and as a great admirer of Daniel O'Connell, he hoped to erect a Church that would suitably mark the centenary of his birth in 1775. Having received an audience with Pope . . . — Map (db m142353) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Presentation ConventDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 10

In the early 19th century Daniel O'Connell was very conscious of the need to educate the people of South Kerry and so he bought a rectors lodge in Bank Street. He invited nuns from the Presentation Order to come and set up a school to help . . . — Map (db m142380) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Primrose WalkDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 4 — 4A Carraig na gConnaill, 4B-D The Race Course, National School & O'Connell Church —

Leaving the town park the trail proceeds to Reenrusheen road. Locally this road is known as Primrose walk. John Primrose was married to a cousin of Daniel O'Connell and he appointed Primrose as his agent in the area. O'Connell was finding it . . . — Map (db m142474) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Railway and O'ConnellDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 2

Early in the 1830's the bringing of the Railway to South Kerry was discussed. O'Connell's idea was to see the railway touching the southern coastline and to continue from Cahersiveen to Cork via Kenmare. The line between Farranfore and . . . — Map (db m142461) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Ringforts

Cahersiveen Cathair saidhbhin 'The fort of Saidhbin (Little Sarah)

Saidhbin was said to be the daughter of McCarthy Mor who held the lands of Iveragh. She was given the fort and the surrounding area, on the banks of the . . . — Map (db m142406) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — Sive FortDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 3

Moving away from the Railway Bridge and the River Fertha the town park comes into view. Here was the original site of the fort of Sive which gives its name to the town of Cahersiveen. At one time there was a small village in the vicinity but . . . — Map (db m142468) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Barracks Heritage CentreDaniel O'Connell Heritage Trail Stop 1

The Heritage Centre came about following the defeat of the Fenians in 1867. The English government was anxious about the safety of the Valentia Atlantic cable station. A new constabulary barracks was built on the banks of the River Fertha and . . . — Map (db m142383) HM

Ireland, Munster (County Kerry), Cahersiveen — The Railway

In 1893 the Killorglin to Valentia branch of The Great Southern and Western Railway opened. The need by local farmers and fishermen to get their produce to market in Britain was identified and the provision of a grant of £85,000, from the . . . — Map (db m142419) HM

Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — C7 — El Call: Carrer de L'Arc de San Ramon del CallMedieval Jewish Quarter, 12th-14th centuries
(Catalan:) Segueix la línia interior del mur romà. No tenia sortida al carrer del Call, i, per un pont elevat, es comunicava directament amb el Castell Nou, una fortalesa medieval construïda sobre la porta . . . — Map (db m142352) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — C6 — El Call: Carrer de Sant DomènecMedieval Jewish Quarter, 12th-14th centuries
(Catalan:) Carrer principal del Call, on es concentraven la Sinagoga Major, la carnisseria i les cases dels membres més importants de la comunitat. En un extrem hi havia el portal d'accés al . . . — Map (db m142358) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — C3 — El Call: Carrer de Sant SeverMedieval Jewish Quarter, 12th-14th centuries
(Catalan:) Límit nord del Call. A la dreta limitava amb els dominis episcopals i a l'esquerra estava tallat pel mur romà. No s'obrí fins a final del segle XIV, vers el carrer de la Palla.

. . . — Map (db m142359) HM

Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — R12 — Roman Aqueduct and Gate: Plaça Nova
(Catalan:) Porta d'accés a la ciutat reformada en construir-se la segona muralla de Barcino. L'entrada es feia a través d'un dels carrers principals, el decumanus. Es conserva un dels passos laterals per a vianants i les . . . — Map (db m142347) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — Roman Sepulchral Way and Vila de Madrid Square
(Catalan:) La plaça Vila de Madrid obeeix a un projecte urbanístic de finals del anys cinquanta del segle XX. Bona part del solar va estar ocupat pel Convent de Santa Teresa de les les carmelites descalces. La comunitat, . . . — Map (db m142379) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — Porterville's Badman
Jim McKinney, Porterville's "Jekyll and Hyde,” a soft- spoken man was liked by many, but when drunk was dangerous, always armed and looking for trouble. On the night of July 27, 1902, on a drunken rampage he went totally bad and shot up . . . — Map (db m141829) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — The Tule River Stage Station
In September of 1858 the Butterfield Overland Mail Company set up stations along its route from Missouri to California. These way stations were at about fifteen to twenty mile intervals to change horses. Some would also provide food and lodging. . . . — Map (db m141817) HM
California (Tulare County), Porterville — Treaty of 1851
At a temporary camp at the old indian trail crossing on Paint Creek (White River), a treaty between the United States and the leaders of four Yokuts tribes was signed on June 3, 1851. The four tribes of Yokuts were the Yal-Um-Ne, Co-Yet-Te, Chu-and . . . — Map (db m141876) HM
California (Tulare County), Terra Bella — The Original Walker Pass
In March of 1860, Joseph R. Walker, leading a party of men across the Southern Sierra to prospect, was in Visalia to get supplies. The editor of the Visalia newspaper interviewed Mr. Walker regarding his route and learned surpisingly that he was not . . . — Map (db m141822) HM
California (Tulare County), Tulare — Tulare City, Main Southern Pacific Railroad Terminal, 1872-1892
By July 1872 the railroad had reached a site where they had planned a town to be called "Tulare City". This they believed, by bypassing Visalia, would soon become the new county seat and a large area was allowed for the government buildings, but . . . — Map (db m141873) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — The Hanging of J.G. McCrory
On Christmas Eve 1872 James G. McCrory, who had murdered before in Visalia and in Arizona, was drunk and disorderly at the El Dorado Saloon on Main Street in Visalia. When one of the owners, Charles Allen, tried to quiet him he shot Allen three . . . — Map (db m141814) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — The Old Tulare County Jail
In 1854 the supervisors of Tulare County authorized construction of a 16' x 16' oak log structure with a courthouse upstairs and jail downstairs. Before this, the most dangerous prisoners were chained to a large oak log out in the open. In 1858 a . . . — Map (db m141827) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Bolton Veterans Monument
In Memory Of All Bolton Men and Women Who Served Their Country During World War II the Korean Conflict and the Viet Nam Conflict — Map (db m142366) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Bolton Veterans Monument and Honor Roll
Bolton Veterans Monument and Honor Roll Korea   1950 — 1955 Donald B. Caldwell, Sr. · Anthony Fiano · Paul Fiano · Michele Giglio · Robert D. Murdock · Morris Silverstein · David C. Toomey, Jr. · Arnold Tobias★ · Conrad Tobias . . . — Map (db m142367) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Bolton World War I Monument
1914   1918 Honor Roll Of Bolton Boys In the World War Camillo Boero · Merrill Cross · ★Michael Daly · Harry B Doolittle · Jacob Horowitz · Keeney Hutchinson · James A Lee · Herald Lee · Victor Lachapelle · Fred O Mannel · Joseph Mack · . . . — Map (db m142368) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Bolton — Rochambeau Encampment
In this Vicinity French Troops Under Rochambeau Enroute to Yorktown Encamped During June 1781 Erected by the State and Oxford Parish Chapter D.A.R. Cooperating — Map (db m142365) HM WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Booth and Dimock Memorial Library
Booth and Dimock Memorial Library The Booth an. Dimock Memorial Library, was dedicated on Friday, October 24, 1913. The Construction of this new building in 1912 was the result of a $40,000 bequest by Henry Dimock in memory of his grandfather, Rev. . . . — Map (db m142431) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — E.A. Tracy Wool Extract and Shoddy MillCirca 1880 - 1929
A mill complex, consisting of 15 buildings, existed at this site which reprocessed used fabrics for the production of inexpensive woolen cloth. The stone ruins and two nearby brick buildings are all that remains of this . . . — Map (db m142387) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Nathan Hale Cemetery
Nathan Hale Cemetery The Nathan Hale Monument Before you is an impressive granite obelisk, 14 feet square at the base and 45 feet high made out of 125 tons of hewn Quincy granite. It was designed by Henry Austin and completed by Solomon . . . — Map (db m142435) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Patriot’s Park
You are overlooking a 12 acre site that has been a part of Coventry history since the town was founded in 1712. The home, to your left, was built in 1716 by Captain Edgerton. The frame is of hand pegged oak beam construction with some of the . . . — Map (db m142384) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — South Coventry Village
Prior to 1800 the area of Coventry Village was dominated by three large farms, the First Church and ministry, and the Nathan Hale Cemetery. Thomas Porter and later his son Noah, owned the land from the lake dam southeast to today’s Mason Street. . . . — Map (db m142403) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Bidwell House
The Bidwell House This Greek revival style hotel was built in 1822 by Solomon Bidwell on a one hundred forty acre track of land. The ell was added by Solomon's son, Lyman Bidwell, around 1850. The property descended to Lyman's son and daughter . . . — (db m142436) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Connecticut Veterans Memorial
On Saturday May 17, 2008, 33 years after the war ended veterans, families and onlookers gathered from all over the state for the unveiling of the first memorial honoring the 612 men from Connecticut who died in the Vietnam War. The ceremony for the . . . — Map (db m142439) HM WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The First Congregational Church
The First Congregational ChurchThis classic pillared New England Congregational Church was built in 1849 as the Village Church at a cost of $10,491. For a period of 20 years there were two Congregational Churches in South Coventry. One was the . . . — Map (db m142428) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Grant Farm / Storrs House
The Grant Farm / Storrs House Site The first settler to build on this property (across the street at the corner of Grant Hill Road and Boston Turnpike) was Solomon Grant in the mid 1700’s. Noah Grant, Solomon’s brother, succeeded him as the . . . — Map (db m142442) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — The Washburn Mill & The Visitor’s Center
The Washburn Mill Behind and to the west of the Visitors' Center was the Washburn foundry and silk mill which operated from 1841 to 1908. There are no existing pictures of the mill, though a survey map (see insert) exists. from 1908. The site . . . — Map (db m142427) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill
Thomas H. Wood’s Silk Mill This mill site has been in continuous commercial operation since 1716. That year the town fathers commissioned Jonathan Hartshorn to build a mill at the brook. The small grist mill, serving at first about forty families . . . — Map (db m142426) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Veterans 1861-1865
Veterans 1861-1865 — Map (db m142434) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Veterans Memorial Green
The Original Meetinghouse The First Church of Coventry stood on the town green facing Lake Wamgumbaug and also served as the town meeting house. The structure was built in 1716, though a full completion with furnishings did not come until 1738. . . . — Map (db m142437) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Warfield Pond
Warfield Pond Named in honor of Frances Warfield for over 28 years of dedicated service to our company and our customers. Genzyme Biosurgery   May 16, 2003 — Map (db m142440) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Coventry — Wellwood’s General Store / The Methodist Church
Wellwood’s General Store On this site sits the oldest standing General Store building in the nation. The first building at this location (1787) housed the store and small living quarters that is now part of the adjoining residence. not much of the . . . — Map (db m142429) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — Benjamin Franklin Koons
In Memory Of Benjamin Franklin Koons, B.A.   Ph.D. 1844 — 1903 Instructor at Storrs 1881 — 1903 First President of the College Erected June 11, 1905 by the Graduates — Map (db m142447) HM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — Capt. Harold L. Lewis Jr. U.S.A.F.
Dedicated In Memory Of Capt. Harold L. Lewis Jr. U.S.A.F. Who gave his life on April 25, 1980 during an attempt to rescue U.S. Embassy hostages in Iran — Map (db m142445) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — Mansfield World War II Memorial
Erected by the People of Mansfield to Perpetuate the Memory of Cpl Charles T Brown · Lt G Pierce Brundage · Capt Roger P Brundage · PFC Edward Budzinsky · Marine Sgt Reginald W Cahoon · T5 Louis W Chobot · Cpl Wm E Cramm Jr · Radioman 2c Vincent . . . — Map (db m142446) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — The Eight Patriots
The Eight Patriots April 25, 1980 Greater love... Greater love hath no man... They came, these eight, from America the beautiful, of their own will, and with no fanfare... They went to a hostile place to rescue their countrymen, knowing that . . . — Map (db m142443) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Storrs — VFW Post 9800 Veterans Monument
A Tribute to the Men and Women of Mansfield Who Served Our Nation ——— Dedicated by Post 9800 Veterans of Foreign Wars May 30, 1985 — Map (db m142444) WM
Connecticut (Tolland County), Vernon — Old Milestone
. . . — Map (db m142441) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — Operation Silent Witness
This Eisenhower Green Ash tree was dedicated on 28 May 2001 in remembrance of our World War II veterans — Map (db m142502) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — American Legion Veterans Memorial
Dedicated on January 26, 1968 as a lasting memorial to those who have served their country for our freedom — Map (db m142504) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Constitution Park
In 1787 the Golden Fleece Tavern owned by Elizabeth Battell, stood facing Court House Square on a property that included this site and there the Constitution of the United States was ratified by the Delaware state. "Fully, freely and . . . — Map (db m142494) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Continuity & ProgressHistorically Happening — Dover, Delaware —
These two words say a great deal about Dover. It is a modern and growing city entering the 21st century on a foundation of achievement built over more than 300 years of American history. And a rich history it is. Founded by William Penn in . . . — Map (db m142501) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-45 — Delaware State College High School
On June 17, 1921, the Board of Trustees of the State College for Colored Students, later known as Delaware State College, approved a resolution recommending the establishment of a high school for Negro students on its campus. This was the second . . . — Map (db m142491) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Did you know...Historically Happening — Dover, Delaware —
The Old State House Fact: After the capital was moved from New Castle to Dover in 1777, the State House was built as the first permanent capitol building in 1787 and finished in 1791. Information: This Georgian . . . — Map (db m142495) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dupont SchoolDelaware State University — Making our mark on the world —
From 1921 until 1952 this simple brick structure, named for its benefactor, Pierre S. Dupont, served as a laboratory-classroom for students enrolled in the teaching course at the State College for Colored Students (now DSU). The educational . . . — Map (db m142492) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Lakeside Cemetery Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the lasting memory of those who lie within this cemetery that served their country to protect our nation's beliefs and principles to achieve peace among other nations and ours. — Map (db m142493) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Octagonal School HouseCowgill's Corner
The Free School Act of 1829 was passed through the efforts of Judge Willard Hall, Charles Marim, and others. Each school district received a generous subsidy for organizing & school free for children of the district. This school was erected . . . — Map (db m142505) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — 148th Fighter Interceptor Squadron
Dedicated to the living and deceased members of the 148th who reopened this facility, at the height of the Korean Conflict on Feb. 1, 1951. The unit served at Dover A.F.B. until Oct. 31, 1952 flying F-51D, F-84C and F-94B aircraft. — Map (db m142516) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — 2nd Ferrying Group Memorial
Dedicated in remembrance of all who served in the 2nd Ferrying Group, Ferrying Division Air Transport Command, New Castle Army Base, Delaware. 1942-1946 The group delivered aircraft all over the world and was the first to utilize . . . — Map (db m142515) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — 61st Troop Carrier Squadron Memorial
The missing man formation of the 61 st Troop Carrier Squadron World War II In memory of those no longer with us who flew, maintained, or supported the C-47 in the U.S. Military Services — Map (db m142509) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — Asian American and Pacific Islander U.S. Air Force Memorial
In honor of the many contributions made by Asian Americans & Pacific Islanders to the U.S.A.F. Past, Present & Future — Map (db m142508) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — Berlin Airlift Memorial
In memory of the United States military personnel who served on the Berlin Airlift 26 June 1948 to 30 September 1949. — Map (db m142511) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — C-133 Cargomaster1957 - 1971
Dedicated to C-133 aircrew members and support personnel of the 1st and 39th Heavy Airlift Squadrons and to the memory of those who are no longer with us — Map (db m142510) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — P-51 Mustang
P-51 Mustang Flown by valiant men to victory — Map (db m142513) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — POW-MIA
. . . — Map (db m142517) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — T-33AShooting Star — S/N 52-9497 —
The two-seater T-33 was developed as a variant of Lockheed's P-80 fighter. The fuselage was lengthened by a little over three feet and a second seat for an instructor was added. In service for over 50 years, the T-33, known as the Shooting Star or . . . — Map (db m142507) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover Air Force Base — Women in the Military Memorial
Dedicated to women in the military Past · Present · Future — Map (db m142512) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — K-102 — School District No. 5
In 1829 the Delaware General Assembly enacted legislation resulting in the establishment of a public school system. The state was subdivided into local districts. One of these was School District #5, which was created to serve the needs of students . . . — Map (db m142499) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Willow Grove — KC-118 — Samuel D. Burris
Samuel D. Burris, a free African-American conductor on the Underground Railroad resided in the Willow Grove area during the 1840s. He helped enslaved people find their pathway to freedom in Philadelphia. Caught for aiding and abetting runaway slaves . . . — Map (db m142503) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-232 — Original Site of the White Clay Creek Presbyterian Church
White Clay Creek Church existed prior to 1718, meeting in a small log cabin at this site. The area became known as Meeting House Hill. In 1721, White Clay Meeting formally became the White Clay Creek Congregation. Rev. Thomas Craighead purchased 402 . . . — Map (db m142498) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Columbia Heights — 2728 Sherman Ave. N.W.
Edward Kennedy Ellington Residence 1919 - 1922 "I Love You Madly" Dedicated This Day, April 28, 1990 Marion Barry Jr., MayorMap (db m142334) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Noma/Sursum Corda — The Chicken and the Egg
Evoking NoMa's character as a transportation hub for goods and people, as well as its adjacency to the wholesale food market at Union Market Terminal, this sculpture also reminds us of the philosophical paradox around creation and transformation. . . . — Map (db m142455) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — The Burton W. Johnson HouseEngine Company 4 — Organized February 21, 1870 —
Dedicated in memory of the first African American to serve the citizens of the District of Columbia as Fire Chief. Chief Johnson was appointed to Engine Company #4 on January 16, 1943 and retired as Fire Chief of the department on March 1, . . . — Map (db m142337) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, . . . — Map (db m142392) HM WM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Decatur — 27 — The Hardman Family CemeteryEarly De Kalb County Landmark — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
The Hardman Family Cemetery is one of the oldest landmarks in DeKalb County and among the last vestiges of its early settlement. Both white settlers and enslaved African Americans were buried here. Nearby ran the Shallowford Indian Trail, a trade . . . — Map (db m142533) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 35 — Battle of Ezra Church Hood's Third Attack — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
After General John Bell Hood took command of the the army defending Atlanta he directed three Confederate failed attacks against Union Major General William T. Sherman's armies. On July 28, 1864, Union Major General Oliver O. Howard's "Army of the . . . — Map (db m142514) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 25 — Battle of Peach Tree CreekLoring's Attack — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
At 4:30 p.m. on July 20, 1864, 2,700 Confederate soldiers in two brigades of Major General William W Loring's division attacked the Federal '20th Corps, aligned north of Collier Road. "The enemy was in plain view about 700 yards distant occupying . . . — Map (db m142521) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 30 — Fort WalkerLemuel Grant's Perimeter "Line of Defenses" — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
This earthen fortification is one of the few remaining traces, of a ring of entrenchments that encircled Atlanta during the summer of 1864. The Atlanta City Council voted on May 22, 1863 to ask Confederate engineers to construct fortifications at . . . — Map (db m142500) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 26 — Peach Tree Creek Crossing Newton Protects Thomas's Left Flank — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
The new commander of the Army of Tennessee, Confederate General John B. Hood, hoped to destroy one of Union General William T. Sherman's three armies as it crossed Peach Tree Creek. Hood's target was Major General George Thomas's Army of the . . . — Map (db m142534) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 19 — 1010 Pennsylvania AvenueRemembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Here stood the home of Malbern Stephens, a decent man who fought corruption. He was elected mayor after the riot and oversaw reparations to the victims. — Map (db m142346) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 21 — 621 N. 9th StreetRemembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Marcus Garvey blamed the massacre on Mayor Fred Mollman, who lived at this site. The mayor was incompetent and was indicted for not doing his duty. — Map (db m142460) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 18 — Collinsville at St. Louis AvenueRemembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Here is where the white rioters assembled, listened to inflammatory speeches, and marched in military formation toward East Broadway. The first victim was harmed here. — Map (db m142344) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 17 — N. 3rd St. and Missouri Ave.Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Near this site was the City Hall, police department and fire station. On the night of the massacre, more than 1,000 people sought safety in the municipal buildings. — Map (db m142338) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 16 — N. 4th St. and Division Ave.Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Narsis Gurlie lived near this spot. She stayed in her burning home until it collapsed. Severely burned, she and others fled. She was allowed to escape, but she lost everything. — Map (db m142320) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 14 — S. 4th St. and E. BroadwayRemembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
This intersection is where the height of brutal violence occurred. Many people died here, and their remains left for hours. — Map (db m142318) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 15 — S. 4th St. and E. BroadwayRemembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
A streetcar was stopped near this spot. White rioters pulled African American passengers off and attacked them while soldiers stood and watched. — Map (db m142319) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), East St. Louis — 13 — S. 4th St. and Railroad Ave.Remembering the 1917 East St. Louis Race Riot
Here stood the residence of Scott and Iva Clark. Rioters burned their home, and a mob attacked them. A soldier did not protect them. Mr. Clark died. — Map (db m142317) HM
Iowa (Howard County), Cresco — Cresco Freedom Rock Veterans MemorialHoward County Freedom Rock — — -- Ray “Bubba” Sorensen II -- — —
Duty - Honor - Country Howard County Chester - Cresco - Elma - Lime Springs - Protivin - Riceville [The Civil War 38th Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry from Howard County] _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ [Cresco's Five . . . — Map (db m142043) WM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Centenary College of Louisiana
Founded 1825 at Jackson, La., by the State of Louisiana, the college was transferred to the Methodist Church in 1845. Relocated at Shreveport in 1908. Centenary is the oldest privately operated liberal arts college west of the Mississippi. — Map (db m142362) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Eglin HouseHistoric Site — Shreveport —
Built 1900 by grandfather of Governor John McKeithen. Purchased from the McKeithen family by Dr. & Mrs. W.M. Adams. The Adams' daughter, Alverne, married Governor Jimmie Davis here. — Map (db m142363) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Noel Methodist ChurchHistoric Site — Shreveport —
Founded as a mission church in 1906, Noel memorial Methodist Church built present building in 1913. When completed, this was the city's largest church building. Fire destroyed all but the exterior walls in 1925. — Map (db m142327) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Pleasant HallHistoric Site — Shreveport —
Built 1909. Was former residence of Governor Ruffin G. Pleasant and wife Annie Ector Pleasant. Mrs. Pleasant founded a private school which operated here for many years. — Map (db m142332) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — St. George Greek Orthodox ChurchHistoric Site — Shreveport —
Designed by J.P. Annan. Built 1934. Named as a memorial to the St. George Church in New Ephesus, Greece, which was destroyed by the Turks 1917. Congregation founded 1917. — Map (db m142432) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Hammond-Harwood House MuseumThe Jewel of Annapolis
Tours start at the top of the hour from noon until 4:00 (summer) or 3:00 (winter). Built in 1774 by renowned architect William Buckland for tobacco planter and patriot Matthias Hammond, the house is one of the finest examples of . . . — Map (db m142372) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Iglehart
Iglehart 1708 Mansion Ridge Road is listed on National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior c. 1811 — Map (db m142375) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Lynching in Anne Arundel County / Lynching in AmericaCommunity Remembrance Project
Lynching in Anne Arundel County Between 1875 and 1911, racial terror lynchings of African Americans by white mobs created a legacy of violence, intimidation, and injustice that has not previously been acknowledged. At least five racial . . . — Map (db m142371) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Max E Bishop1899 - 1962 — In Memoriam —
Coach, counsellor and friend of the midshipmen, Max Bishop directed the baseball program at the Naval Academy for twenty-four highly successful years, from 1938 to 1962. His teams won 306 games while losing 143. This plaque is erected here on . . . — Map (db m142374) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Terwilliger Brothers Field
"Terwilliger Brothers Field" at the United States Naval Academy's Bishop Stadium baseball complex was dedicated in 2007 in recognition of a generous contribution by J. Ronald "Ron" Terwilliger, USNA Class of 1963, and his brother CDR Bruce K. . . . — Map (db m142373) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Craig Law Building
. . . — Map (db m142376) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Cultural District
Mount Vernon Cultural District provides an unequaled richness of cultural experience. Since the founding of the Peabody Institute in 1857, Mount Vernon has enjoyed a continuing association with the arts. Nineteenth Century Philanthropist George . . . — Map (db m142378) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Welcome to the Washington Monument and Mount Vernon Placea National Historic Landmark District
Baltimore's Washington Monument is the first monument in the United States erected in memory of the country's founder, George Washington. The Monument was built by a private Board of Managers, who in 1809 petitioned the Maryland legislature to hold . . . — Map (db m142377) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — MacAlpine
MacAlpine circa 1868 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m142381) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Savage — Historic Savage MillEstablished 1822 — Welcome to Historic Savage Mill —
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places, this complex of 12 interconnected building dating from 1822 to 1916 has been renovated and adapted for re-use. The place and the people within are unique and dedicated to making your visit . . . — Map (db m142382) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Barnstable — Charles L. Gifford
In Memory of Charles L. Gifford Served United States House of Representatives November 7, 1922 - August 23, 1947 — Map (db m142331) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Barnstable — James Otis Jr.
James Otis Jr. The Patriot West Barnstable 1725 — 1783 Advocate Orator Statesman President John Adams Said In Part Of Otis’s Famous Writs Of Assistance Speech In Boston February 1761 “American Independence . . . — Map (db m142330) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Barnstable — Marcy Otis Warren
Mercy Otis Warren Born – W. Barnstable 1728 - 1814 Champion Of The Bill Of Rights Playwright – Poet – Historian PatriotMap (db m142325) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Hyannis — World War II and Korean Conflict MemorialVillage Of Hyannis
Honoring The Men And Women In The Village Of Hyannis Who Served In World War II And The Korean Conflict — Map (db m142340) WM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), Provincetown — Provincetown AIDS Memorial
The Provincetown AIDS Memorial is a horizontal monument, a unique monument in the living ocean. This memorial is a reminder of the lives lost to AIDS and the humanitarian achievements of the caregivers who responded to the crisis. It is also a . . . — Map (db m142335) HM
Massachusetts (Barnstable County), West Dennis — Joseph A. Merrill, U.S.M.C.
In Honor Of Joseph A. Merrill, U.S.M.C. Killed In Action Dec. 1, 1968 And All Other Veterans Of the Vietnam War Dedicated by the VFW Post No. 8074 Dennis Port — Map (db m142355) WM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — S513 — Applewood Estate
Side 1 In 1905 William Durant of the Buick Motor Company asked wheel and axle manufacturer Charles Stewart Mott (1875-1973) to build axles in Flint. The Mott family and business had moved from Utica, New York, to Flint by 1907. In 1913 . . . — Map (db m142480) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Flint — S513 — Applewood Estate
Side 1 In 1905 William Durant of the Buick Motor Company asked wheel and axle manufacturer Charles Stewart Mott (1875-1973) to build axles in Flint. The Mott family and business had moved from Utica, New York, to Flint by 1907. In 1913 . . . — Map (db m142532) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — Alice Frances House•Library
Given by Senator Royal Samuel Copeland to the Village of Dexter Michigan 1928 Modeled from New England Libraries Originally the first post office — Map (db m142357) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — Frederick Pelham: Bridge Engineer
Frederick Pelham was born on November 7, 1864. He attended school in Detroit. In 1887, he became the first African American to receive an Engineering Degree from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and was hired as a civil engineer for the . . . — Map (db m142463) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — History of Mill Creek Dam
The dam was originally built by Judge Samuel Dexter in 1824. Mill Creek got its name because the dam provided hydropower for the sawmills and gristmills that supplied much of the timber and flour for the growing community within the village and . . . — Map (db m142459) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Dexter — L110 — Hudson Mills
This hamlet developed around the mills which were located here to utilize the great water power of the Huron River. Cornelius Osterhout built a sawmill here about 1827, followed in 1846 by a gristmill in which three men produced six thousand barrels . . . — Map (db m142354) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Big Sandy — An Island on the PlainsThe Bears Paw Mountains
Fifty-five to thirty-four million years ago, volcanoes erupted in several areas of central Montana. The upwelling of magma which fed these volcanoes was largely responsible for the Bears Paw Uplift and for several other isolated mountain ranges in . . . — Map (db m142530) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Big Sandy — Big Sandy
According to legend, the town and the creek got their name from the muleskinner "Big Sandy" Lane. The creek was flooded during one of his long treks from Cow Island to Fort Benton. When "Big Sandy" fluently bewailed his bad luck in superlatives . . . — Map (db m142531) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — "George Montgomery: Rider of the Purple Sage"
by Actor/Artist George Montgomery (1916-2000) and Artist Gary Schildt (1938- ) (dedication information omitted) George Montgomery, youngest of 15 siblings, was for on a homestead near Brady, Montana. Following graduation . . . — Map (db m142336) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Chouteau County Courthouse
Chouteau County was one of the nine original counties created February 2. 1865. At that time there was a sporting disregard for assessors, taxes and the law. For example, in 1872 when the jail burned, all the peace officers were in Canada trading . . . — Map (db m142450) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Chouteau County Courthouse
Minneapolis architects Kees and Fisk drew the plans for this magnificent Queen Anne style courthouse which opened in 1884. As the seat of one of Montana's nine original counties, its grand appearance represents the early affluence of this "Chicago . . . — Map (db m142451) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Church of the Immaculate Conception
The Roman Catholic faith came to Fort Benton even before the walls of the fort were erected. Father Jean Pierre de Smet and Nicholas Point celebrated the first mass on Sept. 27, 1846. "Black Robes" continued to serve the area irregularly until Fr. . . . — Map (db m142452) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Church of the Immaculate Conception
When fire destroyed the original Church of the Immaculate Conception in 1905, this beautiful Tudor style structure of rough cut stone and ornamental half-timbered gables replaced it in 1907. Salvaged from the blaze was a bell christened in 1880 for . . . — Map (db m142454) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — First Fire Engine House
"Fire" was a cry dreaded by any Westerner, and early Fort Benton was no exception. Flimsy wooden buildings, haystacks, kerosene lamps and primitive stoves created major fire hazards. When city government was organized in 1883, the first steps in . . . — Map (db m142424) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Fort Benton
Alexander Culbertson established Fort Benton in 1846 as an American Fur Company trading post. The remote settlement prospered in the 1850s, but it wasn't until the following decade that it really boomed. The arrival of the steamboat Chippewa at the . . . — Map (db m142483) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Fort Benton and the Mullan Road
Fort Benton was the eastern terminus of the Mullan Military Road. Construction of the road began in the summer of 1859 at Fort Walla Walla, the head of navigation on the Columbia River. Lieutenant John Mullan of the U.S. Topographical Engineers . . . — Map (db m142484) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Fort Benton Bridge
When railroads replaced steamboats, Fort Benton's importance as a trade center declined. In response, Fort Benton businessmen formed the Benton Bridge Company to construct a bridge across the Missouri River to capture the trade of the rapidly . . . — Map (db m142414) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Fort Benton Engine House
The Fort Benton Engine House, built in 1883, and the Grand Union Hotel are two of only a few structures remaining to remind us of the rapid expansion here during the flourishing steamboat days. When Fort Benton incorporated in 1883, a volunteer fire . . . — Map (db m142417) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — June 6, 1908
On this day water from the Missouri River rose to this level at this location due to heavy rainfall over Western Montana. For more information contact National Weather Service Great Falls, MT www.weather.gov/greatfalls Missouri . . . — Map (db m142408) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Old Fort Benton Bridge
The bridge at this site was completed in 1888 and remained in use until 1963. The Benton Bridge Company constructed it as a toll bridge–no federal subsidy, county or state money was involved–to encourage the city's Judith Basin trade. . . . — Map (db m142333) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Open Range Cattle
In the late 1870's after the gold rush, stockmen began to move cattle from the mountains to the northern plains of Montana and utilize the free grass on the open ranges. Montana's short grass prairies had the best grass of the entire Great Plains. . . . — Map (db m142339) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Church came to Montana Territory with Bishop D.S. Tuttle in 1867, who rode horseback to mining camps and frontier posts. An abandoned saloon housed the first Fort Benton services, then a hotel and school. When Rev. S.C. Blackiston . . . — Map (db m142328) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Fort Benton’s oldest church, is the oldest Episcopal Church in Montana. In continuous service since August 11, 1881, it appears today almost as it did upon opening. Architecturally, this Gothic style building is a fine . . . — Map (db m142329) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — Stream Flow Monitoring
This stream flow monitoring station is part of a nationwide system of approximately 7,000 streamflow stations operated by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The USGS has principal responsibility for evaluation of the Nation's water resources by . . . — Map (db m142410) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Fort Benton — The Engage's Quarters
In 1850 this building housed families of the engages in the two large second-story rooms accessed by two exterior stairways. It was communal living, but it was warmer and better living than a tepee. Downstairs were shops for the skilled craftsmen. A . . . — Map (db m142449) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Loma — A Montana Crossroads
The Missouri River once flowed northeasterly through this valley to Hudson Bay. During the Bull Lake Ice Age, an ice dam near Loma diverted the river into its current channel. This channel began filling with glacial sediment, preventing the river . . . — Map (db m142526) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Loma — Decision at the MariasLewis in Blackfoot Country
On the evening of June 2, 1805 the Corps of Discovery arrived at the mouth of an unknown river flowing from the north. The river had not been mentioned by the Hidatsa nor was it noted on their maps. The two rivers were equal is size. Which was the . . . — Map (db m142527) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Loma — Exploring the North ForkLewis in Blackfoot Country
Meriwether Lewis climbed up the drainage for their camp at the mouth of the Marias, where he reached a "commanding eminence" (where you are standing) and described the North Mountains (Bears Paw Mountains) and "the Barn Mountain (Square Butte). He . . . — Map (db m142528) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Loma — Marias River
The Lewis and Clark Expedition camped at the mouth of the river just east of here June 3, 1805. The Piegan people called it "The River that Scolds at all Others," but Lewis named it Maria's River in honor of his cousin, Miss Maria Wood (over time . . . — Map (db m142488) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Loma — The Manitoba Railroad
The railroad grade you see before you was the St. Paul, Minneapolis and Manitoba Railroad, the precursor of the Great Northern Railway. In 1887, nearly 9,000 men constructed 550 miles of track across Montana's northern Great Plains between Minot and . . . — Map (db m142486) HM
Montana (Chouteau County), Loma — Victims of Blood Indians Massacre
Erected by J.H. Friend's Family Descendants of Franklin Friend for the Victims of Blood Indians Massacre May 25, 1865 Franklin Friend - George W. Friend Abraham Lotts - John Alley John Andrews - N.W. Burris Frank Angeline - Henry . . . — Map (db m142490) HM
New Jersey (Bergen County), Alpine — Lower Closter or New DockHuyler’s Landing
Lower Closter or New DockHere a British invasion force of 5,000 troops commanded by Lord Cornwallis landed before dawn on November 20, 1776. Guided by three Bergen County residents, Joseph Hawkins, Isaac Perkins, and John Aldington, they climbed . . . — Map (db m142465) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Executive Mansion
Residence of the Governors of New York State — Map (db m142457) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Clark House
Built c. 1828 for Adam A. Clark and wife Betsy. Clarksville named in his honor Apr. 16, 1833. First Clarksville postmaster 1826-1841. Local innkeeper. — Map (db m142470) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Meed House
Built about 1810 by Harmanus Bogardus for Henry L. Meed, first postmaster of Bethlehem P.O. from 1812-1826. P.O. was here. Bethlehem supervisor 1821-1822 — Map (db m142469) HM
New York (Albany County), Delmar — Town of Bethlehem Veterans Memorial
Erected In Honor Of The Men And Women Of The Town Of Bethlehem Who Served In The Armed Forces And In Memory Of Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice — Map (db m142348) WM
New York (Albany County), Loudonville — Historic Loudonville
Once called Ireland's Corners. Named in 1871 for Gen. John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun. Commander of His Majesty's forces - French & Indian Wars — Map (db m142466) HM
New York (Albany County), Loudonville — Loudonville
Settled ca. 1800. Part of Van Rensselaer Manor. Many historic homes listed on State and National Registers — Map (db m142467) HM
New York (Albany County), Newtonville — Historic Newtonville
Site of first Baptist church, 1852 Rev. William Arthur, preacher. Father of 21st President Chester Alan Arthur 1881 -1885 — Map (db m142458) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail
A History of the Albany County Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail This trail is a 9-mile pathway which follows the old Albany and Susquehanna Railroad between Albany and Voorheesville. This pathway connects visitors with landscapes and communities, . . . — Map (db m142351) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — The Slingerlands Train Station — Connecting People with Communities —
The freight house and post office were central businesses in small railroad communities. In 1864, a year after the first train came through, a combination passenger and freight station was built, which remains today near Kenwood Avenue. In . . . — Map (db m142349) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Cider Mill
Empire Cider & Vinegar Co. estab. 1890; became Duffy-Mott of Mott’s Apple Juice fame. Employed 200 making cider, vinegar, juices. Closed 1955. — Map (db m142345) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Le Roy Civil War Memorial
In Memory Of The Soldiers Of Le Roy Rebellion William C. Allen · John W. Amlong · Alexander L. Anderson · Benjamin Anderson · David D. Anderson · Wilber H. Anderson · James Avery · Samuel Avery · Samuel Avery 2nd· . . . — Map (db m142315) WM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Le Roy World War I Memorial1918 - 2018
In remembrance of those from LeRoy who served May we never forget those who died George Botts · Cecelia Cochran · Errol Crittenden · Leo Fiorito · Thomas Illes · Edward Kaine · Percy Luttrel · Patrick Molyneaux · Edgar Murrel · George Ripton · . . . — Map (db m142311) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilon — Ilon Civil War Memorial
1861-1865 In Memory Of Our Heroes Who Served In The Defence Of The Union — Map (db m142405) WM
New York (Monroe County), Rush — American Revolution War/War of 1812
American Revolution War April 19, 1775-September 3, 1783 Some of Rush's earliest settlers were those men who served in the American Revolution or the 1779 Sullivan Expedition. The Sullivan Expedition, also known as the . . . — Map (db m142306) HM WM
New York (Monroe County), Rush — Rush Civil War MonumentApril 12, 1961 - May 9, 1865
( top photo) Jacob Stull Galentine (1835-1905) enlisted with the New York 136th Volunteers at age 28. He was born and grew up in Rush, the son of John and Isabella Stull Galentine. This 1888 photograph was taken at the NY 126th monument . . . — Map (db m142360) WM
New York (New York County), New York — The Bronxville Eagle
One of the 12 cast iron bald eagles perched atop the original Grand Central in 1898; (sic) this 1 ½ ton sculpture was removed in 1910. It ultimately came to reside on the grounds of the Westchester home of Laurie Hawkes and Paul Grand Pre. . . . — Map (db m142361) HM
New York (New York County), New York — The Vanderbilt Eagle
Above this location, a one-and-a-half ton eagle is perched on the viaduct that circles Grand Central Terminal, It is one of 12 eagle sculptures that formerly graced the roof of the original Grand Central Station in 1898. In 2004, ninety-four years . . . — Map (db m142313) HM
New York (Otsego County), Brighton — Brighton
Site of 2d match factory in U.S., Eaton and Stanton owners 1845-50, 1st post office in town 1807, Ivory Holland, 1st post master. — Map (db m142402) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — Huron Block House1930s to Present
Recognizing the importance of Huron’s harbor, a group of Huron and Milan businessmen formed the Huron Harbor Company to make improvements to the harbor. The project was partially funded by the sale at public auction of one half of the town plat of . . . — Map (db m142343) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 12-22 — Huron’s First Inhabitants
Huron and Erie County are rich in Native American history. During the construction of the nearby Ohio Route 2 bypass archaeologists in 1976-77 uncovered three Native villages and burial sites. The Anderson site, overlooking the Old Woman . . . — Map (db m142364) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — Legacy of the Huron DocksEarly Boats / Wooden Steam Ships and Barges / Bulk Freighters / Whalebacks
Early Boats. In the 1800s, schooners were the main cargo vessels of the Great Lakes, linking the growing towns of the Midwest with the East Coast. One of the largest schooners to sail the Great Lakes was built just a few miles up the Huron . . . — Map (db m142342) HM
Ohio (Erie County), Huron — 6-39 — Old Woman CreekA Feature of Ohio’s Estuaries
Old Woman Creek is one of the few naturally functioning estuary environments—places where chemically-distinct bodies of water meet and mix—left in the western basin of Lake Erie. This ecosystem features diverse habitats of marshlands, . . . — Map (db m142350) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 30-45 — Licking County TB Sanatorium / Licking County Health Department
Tuberculosis, or TB, is a contagious disease that was responsible for the deaths of one out of every seven people in the U.S. in the early 20th century. The Licking County Tuberculosis Sanatorium, known as the TB San, was constructed in . . . — Map (db m142456) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Lakeside — 15-62 — Lakeside“The Chautauqua on Lake Erie”
Established in 1873, Lakeside is a pioneer of the American Chautauqua Movement, one of the greatest revival movements in United States history which flourished in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Founded by the Methodist Church, . . . — Map (db m142370) HM
Ohio (Ottawa County), Lakeside — 17-62 — The Fire of October 20, 1929 / The Lakeside Volunteer Fire Protective Association
On October 20, 1929, fire originated at a an oil-burning stove in a Lakeside cottage on Walnut Avenue. A strong wind shifted the flames onto neighboring buildings threatening the entire block. Fire departments . . . — Map (db m142369) HM
Ohio (Seneca County), Attica — 13-74 — A Nurse’s Sacrifice in the Great War
The Attica-Venice Joint Cemetery is the final resting place of Clara Edith (Work) Ayres, who died in the line of duty soon after the United States entered World War I in April 1917. Mrs. Ayres was born in Venice Township on September 16, 1880. . . . — Map (db m142389) HM
Oklahoma (Caddo County), Hinton — Britton School
Established in 1911 and known as Science Hill. The school house was located one half mile east of this memorial. Later the name was changed to Britton School in honor of the pioneer family. The church located at the same site served as a Grade . . . — Map (db m142497) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Ardmoreite Building
This building, originally built in 1930 by architect J.B. White, was called the Gilbert Building. It was renamed the Ardmoreite Building in 1966 when it became the home of The Daily Ardmoreite. Between 1930 and 1966 many businesses . . . — Map (db m142416) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Daubes’ Store
Daubes’ Department Store was a long time landmark on Main Street of Ardmore.

The original Daube Store was opened in Bowie, Texas, in 1883, and was owned by Sam Daube.

In about 1888, when the Ardmore area was in Pickens County, Indian . . . — Map (db m142482) HM

Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Federal Courthouse (1898)Southern District — Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations, I.T. —
The construction of this courthouse was financed in 1898 by two private entrepreneurs, Joe F. Robinson and A. V. Doak. The building was leased to the Federal Government and the court was presided over by Judge Hosea Townsend. This fourth . . . — Map (db m142411) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Hotel Wisnor/Carter-Booker Building
The Hotel Wisnor, named in honor of Benjamin Wisnor Carter, prominent Chickasaw citizen, was built on this site in 1884 and was the first and finest establishment of its kind in Indian Territory. The three-story building of brick and stone had 50 . . . — Map (db m142485) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Luke’s Music Store
In 1893, E.B. Luke came to Ardmore, Chickasaw Nation, from Detroit, Michigan. At the time, his brother, Jack Luke, operated a music and school book store in Oklahoma City, and urged E.B. to open this same type of store in Ardmore. So in 1895, E.B. . . . — Map (db m142420) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Masonic Temple 1896
On April 19, 1895 a fire broke out in Harper’s Caddo Street Livery Stable. It quickly spread and consumed six blocks of East Main Street from the Santa Fe Railroad tracks to Washington (then known as Springer Street). Eighty-six businesses were . . . — Map (db m142489) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Noble Brothers Hardware
The Noble Brothers, Sam and Ed, arrived in Ardmore, Chickasaw Nation, in 1893, from Oakland Prairie, Pickens County, after a brief sojourn in Pottsboro, Texas, where they were partners in a general merchandise business and operated a ferry crossing . . . — Map (db m142481) HM
Oklahoma (Carter County), Ardmore — Randol Hotel
Before 1899, J.W. Banks built, at this site, a mercantile establishment combined with lodging quarters. In 1903, W.F. (Dixie) Gilmer arrived from North Carolina and leased the hotel which was a three story structure with rooms on the second and . . . — Map (db m142422) HM
Tennessee (Henry County), Paris — 4A 59 — David Edward Jackson
David Jackson was a famous Rocky Mountain fur trader, explorer, businessperson, and namesake for Jackson Hole, Wyoming, in the Teton region. During the War of 1812, he served as an Ensign in Ohio. In January 1837 Jackson traveled to Paris, . . . — Map (db m142326) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerWalking Tour Introduction
Welcome to Fort Granger. The fort’s position atop Figuers Bluff allowed the Union army to command the town of Franklin as well as the road and railroad that served Nashville. The 84th Indiana Infantry was among the regiments that improved and manned . . . — Map (db m142321) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Fort GrangerManning the Fort
Located along Figuers Bluff overlooking the Harpeth River, this Federal fort, named for Union Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger, was well situated to control transportation in and out of Franklin. U.S. Corps of Engineers Capt. William E. Merrill supervised . . . — Map (db m142425) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Council House
Here stood the early Court House, City Council Room, etc., and where occurred the Indian Massacre in 1840, and where the Court was captured in 1842. De Zavala Daughters of the Heroes of Texas. 1924.Map (db m142413) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — William and Adele Skinner House
In 1895, local banker William Cooke Skinner (1870-1953) and his wife, Adele (Preston) Skinner (1874-1966), bought this parcel for a home for their young family. Charles William Bulger (1859-1922), noted Texas architect, designed the two-story . . . — Map (db m142506) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — William Lewis Moody, Jr.(January 25, 1865 - July 21, 1954)
Famed for a long career of dynamic leadership in Galveston business, civic affairs, and philanthropy. Born in Freestone County; son of William Lewis and Pherabe Elizabeth Bradley Moody. Educated at Virginia Military Institute, he later . . . — Map (db m142496) HM
Texas (Orange County), Orange — 11496 — Lutcher Memorial Church Building
Founded in 1878, the First Presbyterian Church initially occupied a frame structure built in 1883 at Market and Polk Street. In 1912 the congregation moved to this church building which Frances Ann (Mrs. Henry Jacob) Lutcher (1841-1924) had erected . . . — Map (db m142324) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — In Memory of John Lonergan
In memory of John Lonergan a native of Ireland, who having made the United States his adopted country, defended it in the Civil War, and at the Battle of Gettysburg with distinction as Capt. Co. A, 13th VT Reg't., and was . . . — Map (db m142476) HM WM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Midlothian — O-40 — Bellona Arsenal
In 1810 Major John Clarke and noted Richmond lawyer, William Wirt, established a weapons factory for the U.S. War Department on the south bank of the James River five miles north of here. Bellona Arsenal, (named for the Roman goddess of war,) was . . . — Map (db m142322) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Midlothian — O-64 — Chesterfield Railroad
In 1829 the Virginia General Assembly chartered the Chesterfield Rail Road Company, which built the first railroad in Virginia. Moncure Robinson (1802-1891), a railroad pioneer, designed the track, which once passed by here. In 1831, the company . . . — Map (db m142323) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Naval Training Station SeattleWorld War I • 1917 - 1918
Occupied 80 Acres, this site Trained 15,000 Naval Volunteers Commander Miller Freeman, National Naval Volunteers Commanding Officer Rear Admiral Robert E. Coontz U.S. Navy Commandant Thirteenth Naval District . . . — Map (db m142204) WM
West Virginia (Doddridge County), Center Point — Center Point Covered Bridge
This privately owned covered bridge was completed in 1890 as ordered by the county court. Stone masons T. C. Ancell and E. Underwood prepared all abutments at a cost of $976.54, and carpenters John Ash and S. H. Smith built frame superstructure for . . . — Map (db m142404) HM

210 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 10
Paid Advertisement