Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

371 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 171
 
1790 - 1990 Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, August 28, 2019
1790 - 1990 Marker
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — 1790 - 1990La Société Saint-Pierre / Église Saint-Pierre
1790-1990 On September 27, 1790, His Excellency William MacCormick, Governor of the Province of Cape Breton, graciously and generously granted 7 000 acres of land at Chéticamp to our «Quatorze Vieux». By this historical act, our . . . — Map (db m140169) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Rems-Murr-Kreis), Aalen — Römisches Reiterkastell Aalen - Nordostecke / Roman Cavalry Fort Aalen - Northeastern Corner
Römisches Reiterkastell Aalen - Nordostecke

Das Kastell Aalen war mit ca. 6 ha Fläche das größte römische, Reiterkastell nördlich der Alpen. Die hier stationierte Ala II Flavia miliaria stellte mit ihren 1000 Soldaten die größte und . . . — Map (db m143249) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Forchheim), Forchheim — Entrechtet, Deportiert, Ermordet / Disenfranchised, Deported, Murdered
Jenny Abraham * 1877 · Leo Abraham * 1875 · Emma Rosalie Braun * 1877 · Gottlieb Braun * 1883 · Rosa Braun * 1883 · Flora Heller * 1886 · Ilse Israel * 1911 · Sofie Kotz * 1860 · Julius Moritz Prager * 1895 · Sera Rosenbaum * . . . — Map (db m143548) WM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Obervolkach — 205 — Obervolkach und der Fischerei / Obervolkach and the Fish Ponds
Vom östlich gelegenen Steigerwald fließt die Volkach Richtung Westen der Mainschleife zu. An ihrer Mündung liegt die Stadt Volkach - oder, wie es in einer Urkunde aus dem Jahr 906 heißt, das "untere Volkach". Wenige Kilometer zuvor . . . — Map (db m143152) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Brünnstadt — Brünnstadt World Wars I and II Memorial
1914 - 1918 Kessler Alfred 1892 - 1914 · Markert Michael 1885 - 1914 · Spiegel Valentin 1887 - 1914 · Rudolph Georg 1889 - 1914 · Vogel Adalbert 1888 - 1915 · Rudolph Valentin 1894 - 1916 · Hösch Ludwig 1895 - 1916 · Burger . . . — Map (db m143388) WM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Das Historisches Rathaus / The Historic Town Hall
Das Historische Rathaus, ein denkmalgeschützter Renaissancebau aus dem Jahr 1604 bis 1606 wurde durch den Schultheiß Sebastian Leuer erbaut. Mit dem stattlichen Bau wollten die Stammheimer ihr Ansehen unter Beweis stellen. . . . — Map (db m143166) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Ehemaliger Klosterhof mit historischer Weinkelter / Former Monastery Building and Historic Winepress
Dem reichen Kloster St. Stephan in Würzburg mag wohl der repräsentative Renaissancebau des Rathauses weniger gefallen haben. Deshalb erbauten die Benediktinermönche um 1618 ein noch stattlicheres Gebäude, den Klosterhof mit Weinkeller, für ihren . . . — Map (db m143174) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — Weinbauchronik von Stammheim / Stammheim Viniculture Timeline
Weinbauchronik von Stammheim.

Um 770 Seit Karl dem Großen Weinbau in Franken.

1240 Kloster Maibronn bezieht den Zehntwein von 50 Morgen Weingarten aus Stammheim.

1400 Kloster Ebrach unterhält einen Kelterhof Fuerstbischof . . . — Map (db m143169) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Stammheim — 223 — Wein-Kult Tour bei Stammheim / Wine Cult-Tour in Stammheim
Als einziger Kolitzheimer Gemeindeteil liegt Stammheim direkt am Ufer des Maines. Daher prägt der Weinbau den malerischen 0rt. An den meist westlich ausgerichteten Talhängen gedeihen die Rebstöcke auf Verwitterungsböden des . . . — Map (db m143167) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3e — An den Kirchgaden / "At the Church Hall" Lane(ehem. Untere Judengasse) / Formerly "Lower Jews Lane"
Wie in der Beschreibung des Badhauses schon erwähnt, befanden sich in dieser Straße mehrere jüdische Wohnhäuser, einige davon sind noch erhalten. Im rückwärtigen Gebäude der Hs.-Nr. 3 hatte der Dorfschmied Valentin Schneider seine . . . — Map (db m143266) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3d — Badtor / "Bath" Gate
Bereits sieben Jahre nach dem 30-jährigen Krieg (1618-1648) begannen die umfangreichen Bauten an der Dorfbefestigung durch drei gemeindliche Toranlagen (Torhäuser).

Das „Untere Tor“ oder Badtor grenzte an dieser Stelle vor . . . — Map (db m143294) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3h — Ehem. Dorfbrauerei / Former Village Brewery
Ehem. Dorfbrauerei mit Malzdörre und Kühlschiff

Der erster Hinweis über ein Brauhaus im Dorf an dieser Stelle findet sich im Tagebuch des Schullehrers Johann Christoph Sandner vom 26.01.1675.

Er berichtet: „Dieses 1675 . . . — Map (db m143301) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 1d — ehem. Pfarrhaus - Pfarrhof / Former Rectory - Vicarage
Hans Weiss war 1423 der erste urkundlich erwähnte Pfarrer von Zeilitzheim. Seit dieser Zeit lösten sich die Adelsgeschlechter derer v. Grumbach, der Fuchs von Bimbach, derer v. Wolfsthal und der Grafen v. Schönborn . . . — Map (db m143384) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 1c — Gasthaus "Zur Sonne" / Inn "at the Sun"
Im evangelischen Kirchenbuch wird 1578 schriftlich der erste Wirt „Zur güldenen Sunnen“ erwähnt.

Als Lehen der ev. Kirche zahlte Wolf Hilpert Zins (Gült) an die Kirchengemeinde.

43 Wirte waren bis heute Eigentümer . . . — Map (db m143234) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 3f — Gemeindebäckerei / Community Bake-House
In diesem Gebäude befand sich das ehemalige Gemeindebackhaus. Es wurde 1584-1590 erstmals erwähnt, als Anton Weis "Gemeindediener uff dem Beckenhaus“ wohnte.

Michael Merz hieß der erste, 1606 schriftlich überlieferte . . . — Map (db m143285) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Zeilitzheim — 2c — Haus der Begegnung / "House of Encounter"
An dieser Stelle befand sich ehemals eine spätmittelalterliche Dorfschule. Hier unterrichtete von 1671 - 1720 der bekannte Lehrer Johann Christoph Sandner aus Markneukirchen im Vogtland. Seine Tagebuchaufzeichnungen haben sich bis . . . — Map (db m143347) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Würzburg), Sommerhausen — Franz Daniel Pastorius Birthplace
In diesem Hause wurde am 26.9.1651 der erste deutsche Amerika-Auswanderer, Franz Daniel Pastorius, geboren, welcher die Stadt Germantown gegrundet hat.

Errichtet zum 300. Geburtstag 6.10.1951

-

(English . . . — Map (db m143230) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Altes Rathaus - Old Town Hall
(Lower panel:)

1898

Seinerzeit größter Gebäudekomplex mit Innenhöfen in Frankfurt am Main nördlich und südlich der neu trassierten Bethmannstraße

Von Atlanten getragene Bogenbrücke als Verbindung von . . . — Map (db m143543) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Heinrich von Gagern
Im Gedenken an Heinrich von Gagern 1799-1880 Erster Präsident der Nationalversammlung Reichsministerpräsident Burschenschafter Vorkämpfer für Deutsche Freiheit in Einheit -

(English translation:) . . . — Map (db m143376) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Paulskirche / St. Paul's Church
1790-1833 Klassizistischer Zentralbau anstelle der gotischen Barfüßerkirche Stadtbaumeister Johann Andreas Liebhardt Classicist central building that replaced the Gothic Barfüsser Church Municipal Master Builder . . . — Map (db m143510) HM
Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Philipp Jacob Spener1635-1705
Kirchen- und Sozialreformer Senior der Lutherischen Pfarrer Frankfurts 1666-1686, Gründer des ersten Frankfurter Armen-Waisen-und Arbeitshauses Verfasser der Pia Desideria

Er wirkte an der Barfüsserkirche / Die bis zum . . . — Map (db m143381) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Pre-Parliament and the National Assembly
Hier tagte das Deutsche Vorparlament vom 31. März bis zum 3. April 1848 und die Deutsche National- -Versammlung vom 18. Mai 1848 bis zum 30. Mai 1849. -

(English translation:) Here met the . . . — Map (db m143348) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Walter Kolb1902-1956
Frankfurter Oberbürgermeister von 1946 bis 1956 Mit dem Neuaufbau der Kriegzerstörten Paulskirche im Jahr 1948 setzte er nach der Diktatur der Nationalsozialisten ein Zeichen für die Freiheit und nationale Einheit . . . — Map (db m143380) HM
Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — St Patrick's Church, Celbridge

By 1855 the Mass House which had served the people of Celbridge for over one hundred years was in a poor state of repair. It was situated in front of the present church. It was known as a Mass House as Mass was the only service allowed in it. . . . — Map (db m143176) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — A Brief History of Celbridge Poor Law UnionCelbridge Poor Law Union Burial Ground

The Irish Poor Law System

The origins of the Irish Workhouse system lie in the Irish Poor Law Act passed by the parliament of the United Kingdom in 1838. The Act, entitled an Act for the More Effectual Relief of the Poor in Ireland . . . — Map (db m143231) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Arthur's Way / Cosán ArthurIn the footsteps of Arthur Guinness — Celbridge to Hazelhatch —

"Along the banks of that river, amid the groves and bowers of Swift and Vanessa, I grow convinced that I was right." Henry Grattan

INTRODUCTION Celbridge (Cill Droichid: 'Church by the Bridge' originally angicised to . . . — Map (db m143210) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Castletown

Tá Eastát Castletown, Cill Droichid i mbaile clúiteach Arthur Guinness agus tailte cúirtéireachta Jonathan Swift, údar Gulliver's Travels.

Lonnaithe sa stair chlúiteach seo, is é Castletown an teach mór ar stíl Phallaidiach is mó . . . — Map (db m143409) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Celbridge AbbeyHistoric Buildings of Celbridge

• The original Celbridge Manor was built at the beginning of the 18th century by Bartholemew Van Homrigh, a wealthy Dutch merchant, who was Purchaser of Provisions and Commissioner of Ordnance for the victorious forces of King William . . . — Map (db m143209) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Celbridge Union Workhouse CemeteryIs talamh naofa i seo — [This Is Sacred Ground] —

Pray for the souls of all poor and afflicted whose bodies have been laid in this cemetery since 1841 R.I.P. ————————————— This Holy Ground is . . . — Map (db m143226) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Celbridge Union Workhouse Cemetery GateGeata na marbh — [The Gate of the Dead] —

Through this gate from 1841 onwards passed the bodies of deceased inmates of the Celbridge Union Workhouse on their way to burial in these grounds. The Workhouse System conducted its burials in a characteristically efficient manner . . . — Map (db m143227) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Edward Bridgeman

C Company, 1st Battalion, Dublin Brigade, I.V.

Four Courts & Interned in Stafford & Frongoch 1916

Unveiled by Cllr. Frank O'Rourke 21st February 2016 — Map (db m143171) WM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Kildrought House1719

An Early Georgian Merchant's House — Map (db m143168) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Sir Gerald Dease, K.C.V.O.

Erected by his numerous friends of all classes and of all creeds in memory of Sir Gerald Dease, K.C.V.O. Born 17th July 1831, died 18th October 1903. A man of stainless honour, who used his high position and great . . . — Map (db m143180) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Celbridge — Welcome to CelbridgeOur Story

The origins of our town In ancient times there were five principal roads in Ireland. One of these roads was known as the "Slí Mhór". It extended from Dublin Bay to Galway Bay and forded the river Liffey in Celbridge just below where the . . . — Map (db m143545) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Leixlip — The Wonderful Barn

In 1740-41, famine spread across Europe, following a great frost[,] the so-called 'Black Spring'. Rivers froze, and water-powered mills that ground grain into flour stopped working. This led to a flour scarcity, hoarding by wholesalers, . . . — Map (db m143165) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Maynooth — Caisleán mhagh nuadhad / Geraldine Castle

Muiris Mac Gearailt a thóg 1176 : rinneadh méadh air ó am go ham ina dhiaidh sin. [?] dtús na 14ú aoise ba é príomháit chónaithe ghearaltach chill dara é, chuir "Tomás an Tsíoda" i dtreo cosanta in aghaidh na sasanach é i . . . — Map (db m143158) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Maynooth — St. Mary's Church (Anglican)

The Church of St. Mary's - a living centre of worship today - is also a monument to the Fitzgerald family whose history is permanently linked with the nearby Geraldine Castle. Originally built as a private chapel for the castle, in 1248 St. . . . — Map (db m143157) HM

Ireland, Leinster (County Kildare), Maynooth — St. Mary's Church of Ireland East Window

This Large East Window is unusual because it is made of wood and set in stone. During the restoration of 1770 this window was taken from the church of Laraghbryan, which had fallen into ruins[.] Note how the stonemason corrected the misspelling . . . — Map (db m143155) HM

Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — American Photo Supply
En este edificio estuvo la American Photo Supply, donde se comercializaron las primeras cámaras fotográficas que llegaron a México. English translation: In this building was the American Photo Supply, where the . . . — Map (db m143181) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Francisco González Bocanegro
En esta casa vivió Francisco González Bocanegra, poeta y dramaturgo, autor de los versos del Himno Nacional Mexicano. English translation: In this house lived Francisco González Bocanegra, poet, playwright and . . . — Map (db m143173) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Gonzalo A. Esteva
En esta casa vivió Gonzalo A. Esteva, periodista, fundador con Altamirano de la revista El Renacimiento (1869) y director del periódico El Nacional (1880). English translation: In this house lived . . . — Map (db m143175) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — José Fernando Ramírez
Aquí vivió el historiador y arqueólogo Don José Fernando Ramírez. 1855. Dirección de monumentos coloniales y de la República. English translation: Here lived the historian and archaeologist José . . . — Map (db m143184) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan de Dios Peza
En esta casa nació y vivió Juan de Dios Peza (1852-1910), author de Hogar y Patria. Sus poemas sentimentales y de ocasión formaron el gusto de quienes los escuchaban y leían. English translation: In this house . . . — Map (db m143172) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Juan de la Granja
En esta casa vivió Juan de la Granja (1785-1853), diplomático y empresario, introductor del telégrafo en México en el siglo XIX. English translation: In this house lived Juan de la Granja (1785-1853), diplomat . . . — Map (db m143179) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Manuel Payno
En esta casa vivió el escritor Manuel Payno (1820-1894), autor de dos novelas fundadoras de las letras mexicanas, Los bandidos de Río Frío y El Fistol del diablo. English translation: In this house . . . — Map (db m143177) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — Monolith of Coatlinchán
Este monolito fue encontrado en las estribaciones del pueblo de Coatlinchán, Estado de México, cuyos habitantes lo donaron generosamente a este Museo en 1964. La monumental escultura está inconclusa y representa a la deidad de agua, . . . — Map (db m143383) HM
Mexico, Ciudad de México, Ciudad de Mexico — New Temple of San Pablo
Templo de San Pablo el Nuevo. Edificado en el siglo XVIII debido a la secularización del antiguo Templo de San Pablo, hoy conocido como San Pablo el Viejo. English translation: New Temple of San Pablo Built in . . . — Map (db m143292) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — Portaferrissa - La "Porta Ferriça" / Portaferrissa - The Iron Gate
(Spanish:) La “Porta Ferriça” era una de las puertas de la segunda muralla de Barcelona, construida en el Siglo XIII. La barra de hierro una de las medidas longitudinales usadas en la ciudad – que se fijó en . . . — Map (db m143188) HM
Spain, Catalonia (Barcelonès), Barcelona — The Miracle of Saint Joseph Oriol
En 6 de abril de 1806 llegó la noticia de la aprobación de los milagros del siervo de dios Dr. José Oriol con cuyo motivo iluminóse exteriormente esta iglesia y al pasar por este puentecito se cayó desplomado al suelo el director José . . . — Map (db m143215) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Stadshuset / City Hall
HISTORIK Stadshuset byggdes 1911 - 1923 efter Ragnar Östbergs ritning. Stadshuset är Ragnar Östbergs mest berömda verk och består av 8 miljoner tegelstenar. Inspirerat av italienska renässanspalats byggdes huset kring två . . . — Map (db m143415) HM
Alabama (Marshall County), Albertville — 1985 — Albert Family
The City of Albertville is named for Thomas Albert, buried here with his wife Sarah Sappington Albert and daughter Sarah. They had three other daughters -- Martha, who married James C. Miller,the city's first postmaster, Elizabeth, and Mary. Albert . . . — Map (db m143214) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Oldest Episcopal Church in the State
Oldest Episcopal Church in the State 1823 • 1976 Placed by The Alabama Society Daughters of the American RevolutionMap (db m143480) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Statue
Rosa M. Parks (1913-2005) was arrested on a Montgomery bus December 1, 1955 for refusing to relinquish her seat to a white passenger. Her arrest, which happened 2 blocks west on Montgomery Street, sparked the 381-day Montgomery Bus Boycott, which . . . — Map (db m143325) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 694 — Church of St. James the Apostle
This church founded under authority of Bishop Kip, first Episcopal Bishop for California, has given uninterrupted service to this community since June 27, 1858 — Map (db m143394) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — 1043 — Mother Orange Tree of Butte County
Judge Joseph Lewis planted this Mediterranean Sweet Orange seedling near the toll bridge at Bidwell’s Bar, Butte County, California in 1856. It has survived hard times and is the oldest living orange tree in California. “From its example and . . . — Map (db m143395) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Old Sperry HotelThe Mitchler Hotel
This hostelry originally built in 1855 by J. L. Sperry of Sperry Flour fame and his partner John Perry. Among early guests whose names appear on old register are Mark Twain, Horatio Alger, Thomas H. Lipton, Henry Ward Beecher, the Rothchilds General . . . — Map (db m143493) HM
California (City and County of San Francisco), San Francisco — Sears Fine Food
In 1924, Hilda and Ben Sears opened a restaurant in San Luis Obispo, California. Their signature dish was "Dollar size little pancakes" from an old family recipe. The restaurant was relocated in 1938 and over the years has become a "Landmark family . . . — Map (db m143247) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Richmond — 1002-1 — Site of Giant Powder Company
Pt. Pinole is the last site of the Giant Powder Company, the first company in America to produce dynamite. Following devastating explosions at their San Francisco and Berkeley sites, the business moved to this isolated location in 1892. . . . — Map (db m143396) HM
California (Del Norte County), Crescent City — 497 — S.S. Emidio
Nearby are portions of the hull of the General Petroleum Corporation tanker S.S. Emidio, which on December 20, 1941 became the first casualty of the Imperial Japanese Navy's submarine force action on California's Pacific Coast. The ship was attacked . . . — Map (db m143397) HM WM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 142 — John Mohler StudebakerStudebaker's Shop
1833 - - - 1917 Pioneer – Blacksmith – Soldier Inventor – Builder — Map (db m143494) HM
California (El Dorado County), Placerville — 767 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Erected in 1851, Oldest church building in El Dorado County. It originally stood on the corner of Cedar Ravine and Main Street. The Ponderosa Pine beams are hand hewn. First church bell was purchased from the sailing ship . . . — Map (db m143485) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — 344 — Arroyo de Cantua14 Miles
Headquarters of the notorious bandit Joaquin Murieta. Killed here July 25, 1853 by a posse of state rangers led Captain Harry Love. Terrorized mining camps and stage operations during his career. — Map (db m143398) HM
California (Glenn County), Hamilton City — 831 — William Semple Green1832 – 1905
Arrived via Panama route, San Francisco Oct. 10, 1849 Arrived Colusi County, July 6, 1850 Ferry boat captain, mail carrier, surveyor, editor, writer, legislator, Surveyor General of the United States, California State Treasurer, irrigationist, . . . — Map (db m143420) HM
California (Humboldt County), Arcata — The Gregg-Wood Party and the Union Company
Dedicated to the Gregg-Wood Party and Members of the Union Company Founders of the Town of Union Now known as the City of Arcata April 30, 1850 Members of the Gregg-Wood Party Dr Josiah Gregg · Thomas Sebring · David A. . . . — Map (db m143253) HM
California (Kern County), California City — 129 — The Randsburg - Mojave Road
The Randsburg Mojave Road was built by Rice & Shippee of Mojave to speed stage transportation from the Southern Pacific railroad station at Mojave, to the rich gold mines in the Randsburg area; service commenced on November 22, 1898. The stage left . . . — Map (db m143407) HM
California (Kern County), Lake Isabella — 98 — KeyesvilleCalifornia Historical Landmark
From 1853 until 1870 Keyesville was a center of both placer and quartz gold mining. On the knoll just below the townsite may still be seen the outlines of an earth-work fort, built to meet a possible Indian attack in 1863. The original Keys Mine is . . . — Map (db m143331) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Agoura Hills — Reyes Adobe Historical Site
Daughters of the American Revolution commemorate the significant role the Reyes Adobe historical site played in the development of California and its history. The property was a stop along the state's famous El Camino Real. — Map (db m142477) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Angeles National Forest — West Fork Ranger Station
Built in 1900 alongside the West Fork of the San Gabriel River and north of Mt. Wilson, the historic cabin was the first ranger station built in California with federal government funds — $75. In the late 1920's, new roads into the mountains . . . — Map (db m142935) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 9 — Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden
Today’s Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden blends history and horticulture in a landscape ripe with cultural nuance, allowing history to be sampled in its native setting and savored as an integral link between humans and the land they . . . — Map (db m143271) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Hollywood & Vine
The Hollywood Boulevard Commercial and Entertainment District is listed in the national register of Historic Places. Comprised of more than one hundred buildings, the District extends along the boulevard from Argyle Avenue to Sycamore Avenue. . . . — Map (db m143391) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Cañada Flintridge — 717 — The Angeles National Forest
This was the first National Forest in the State of California, second in the United States. Created by proclamation, December 20, 1892, by President Benjamin Harrison. The first name given to the forest was "San Gabriel Timberland Reserve." It was . . . — Map (db m143501) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Garnier Building1890
Philippe Garnier, a settler from Gap, France, hired Abraham Edelman to design this brick and sandstone building for Chinese tenants. This was the oldest and most significant building of the original Chinatown of Los Angeles which was located here. . . . — Map (db m142899) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Feliz FamilyJuan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail
Enlisted soldier Jose Vicente Feliz, his wife Maria, and their children were among the thirty Anza Expedition families. Maria was one of eight women who were pregnant. On October 23, 1775, the first night after leaving Tubac, tragedy . . . — Map (db m142836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montrose — The Great Flood of 1934
On this site American Legion Post 288 once stood. The great flood swept through its walls shortly after midnight on New Year’s Day, taking with it 12 local residents. Most had taken refuge inside from the torrential rain and two were dedicated Red . . . — Map (db m143027) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — The 100-Inch Hooker TelescopeMount Wilson Observatory
In 1904, astronomer George Ellery Hale obtained support from the Carnegie Institution of Washington to found the Mount Wilson Solar Observatory. Stellar telescopes were soon added: first the 60-inch, then the 100-inch, when "Solar" was removed . . . — Map (db m143305) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Vernon — 167 — The Battle of La MesaLa Batalla de La Mesa — January 9th, 1847 —
First marker: On this site was fought La Batalla de La Mesa Battle of La Mesa January 9th, 1847 Commodore Robert Field Stockton U.S.N. in command of American forces and General Jose Maria Flores commanding the Californians Second . . . — Map (db m143400) HM
California (Marin County), Fairfax — 679 — Site of Birds Nest Glen
The home of "Lord" Charlie Snowden Fairfax, pioneer and political leader of the 1850's, served California as an assemblyman (1853), Speaker of the Assembly (1854), and Clerk of the State Supreme Court (1856). Fairfax, a descendent of Scottish barons . . . — Map (db m143401) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — 922 — Outdoor Art Club
The Outdoor Art Club was designed in 1904 by Bernard Maybeck; internationally known American architect. Particularly notable for its unusual roof truss system, the building exemplifies Maybeck's creative use of natural materials. The Club, founded . . . — Map (db m143402) HM
California (Marin County), Mill Valley — 207 — Reed's MillRegistered California Historical Landmark
The mill was constructed in the 1830's by John Reed and was one of the first saw mills in Northern California. The mill site was utilized in May 1890 to conduct a public land auction of land parcels that signaled the founding of the City of Mill . . . — Map (db m143523) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — 210 — Camilo Ynitia’s Adobe
A shingled shed now protects the ruins of Camilo Ynitia’s adobe home from further weather damage. Dating from the late 1830’s this structure represents a period when the Wiwok were abandoning their traditional dwellings in favor of more sheltered . . . — Map (db m143486) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — 630 — St. Vincent's School for Boys
In 1853, Timothy Murphy, Irish born pioneer of Marin County, gave 317 acres of land to Archbishop Alemany for educational purposes. Here the Sister of Charity in 1855 founded a school now called St. Vincent's School for Boys. It has been maintained . . . — Map (db m143404) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — 924 — Wa Jen Ha LioChina Camp
There are two markers on this monument One of the earliest, largest and most productive Chinese fishing villages in California, China Camp was in operation by 1870. The Chinese immigrants and their descendants introduced the use of . . . — Map (db m143403) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 529 — Angel Island
In 1775, the packet San Carlos, first known Spanish ship to enter San Francisco Bay, anchored in this cove while her commander, Lieut. Juan Manuel de Ayala, directed the first survey of the bay. Ayala named this island Isla de los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m143405) HM
California (Mendocino County), Mendocino — 927 — Temple Kwan Tai
California State Landmark #927 C.A. 1854 [California Registered Historical Landmark description states: One of the oldest of California's Chinese houses of worship in continuous use, the temple may date back as far as 1854, though its . . . — Map (db m143483) HM
California (Modoc County), Alturas — 109 — Chimney Rock
Site of pioneer cabin built by Thomas A. Denson in 1871 This Marker is dedicated to the pioneers of Modoc County by Alturas Parlor 159 Native Duaghters of the Golden West September 21, 1932 — Map (db m143470) HM
California (Modoc County), Canby — 125 — Evans and Bailey Fight 1861
Monument site on top of hill — Map (db m143471) HM
California (Monterey County), Carmel-by-the-Sea — 135 — Junípero Serra/Establishing the California Missions/The Ave Maria Bell
Junípero Serra Serra played a decisive role in the European settlement of the New World. He was born Miquel José Serra in Petra on the Mediterranean island of Mallorca on November 24, 1713. Though not an assuming figure and plagued by ill . . . — Map (db m143467) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 713 — Casa Gutierrez
Built in the Mexican period — Map (db m143466) HM
California (Monterey County), Spreckels — 560 — Hill Town Ferry
Historical Monument 1867 – 1889 Marked by San Jose de Guadalupe Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists 1957 — Map (db m143465) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — 687 — Calistoga Depot
Built by Sam Brannan for the Napa Valley Railroad in 1868 one year before the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. Second oldest remaining railroad station in California. Northern terminus of the Napa Valley Railroad and its successors the . . . — Map (db m143495) HM
California (Orange County), Modjeska Canyon — 205 — Modjeska's Home
Famous as the home of Madame Modjeska, one of the world's great actresses, it was designed by Stanford White in 1888 on property called the Forest of Arden. Sold soon after her retirement, it remains a monument to the woman who contributed . . . — Map (db m143499) HM
California (Placer County), Rocklin — George A. Wyman
Waypoint George A. Wyman 1st Across America San Francisco to New York City, 1903 — Map (db m143373) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — 797 — Lake Tahoe Outlet Works and Gatekeepers Cabin
The first outlet works were constructed in 1870 by Colonel A.W. Von Schmidt. The stone and timber crib structure soon passed to the Donner Lumber & Boom Co. who continued to regulate, for a fee, the water flow for floatation of logs and, later, . . . — Map (db m143497) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — 797 — William B. Layton Park
This park was named for and dedicated to the memory of William B. Layton by the North Lake Tahoe Historical Society. North Lake Tahoe will miss the unselfish way the Bill worked for the community. Past General Manager of the Tahoe City Public . . . — Map (db m143487) HM
California (Plumas County), Belden — 337 — Rich Bar
Gold first found here July 1850 by miners coming over the mountains from the Yuba Diggins. Much production during early ‘fifties along this east branch of the Feather River’s North Fork. Here “Dame Shirley” (Louise Amelia Knapp Smith . . . — Map (db m143421) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — 196 — Jamison City, Eureka Mine and Mill, Johnstown‹— 5 Miles
Along the Pioneer Trail lies Jamison City and Mine. Large producer, famous for its 52-pound nugget; Eureka Mill and Mine yielding $17 millions to Cornish miners and others. Johnstown, now Johnsville, well preserved '49 town. — Map (db m143422) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — 723 — Pioneer Ski Area of America
The first sport ski area in the western hemisphere was in the Sierra Nevada. By 1860, races were held in the Plumas-Sierra region. The mining towns of Whiskey Diggings, Poker Flat, Port Wine, Onion Valley, La Porte, Jamison City, and Johnsville . . . — Map (db m143423) HM
California (Plumas County), Chilcoot — 336 — Beckwourth PassEmigrant Trail — Elevation 5221 —
Lowest pass in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Discovered in 1851 by James P. Beckwourth Dedicated to the discoverer and to the pioneers who passed along this trail by the Las Plumas Parlor No. 254 N.D.G.W. May 1937 No desert’s waste nor . . . — Map (db m143424) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — 184 — Peter LassenSite of Trading Post — 1851 —
Dedicated by Plumas Pioneer Parlor No. 210, N.D.G.W. Plumas Parlor No. 228, N.S.G.W. October 26, 1930 — Map (db m143425) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — 213 — Rabbit Creek House
Built 1852 by Eli S. Lester, the first building in town included a hotel, trading post and two barns. — Map (db m143426) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — 197 — Bucks Ranch Hotel and Store
Original location One hundred yards north east Haven of pioneers Pack train diversion point for miners to Feather River points. Stage station. Express and post office. 1850 – 1852 Emigrant Trail Destroyed by fire Jan. 13, . . . — Map (db m143427) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — 212 — P. LinthiouhDied Sept. 1852 — Age 19 —
O.H. Copied from tree, carved by comrade, 1852. — Map (db m143428) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — 481 — Spanish Ranch
Named for two Mexicans who began a horse ranch here in 1850. — Map (db m143429) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — 231 — Elizabethtown
Dedicated to Pioneers of Plumas County To the Founders of Elizabethtown and Elizabeth Stark Blakesley for whom this town was named Sept. 1852 — Map (db m143430) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — 625 — Plumas County’s First School House
This is the original pioneer school house Erected in 1857 ———— Trustees – J.W. Thompson & J.C. Church Teacher – Mr. S.A. Ballou – Nineteen scholars — Map (db m143431) HM
California (Riverside County), Anza — 103 — De Anza CampSan Carlos Pass
On March 16, 1774, Juan Bautista de Anza, Indian fighter, explorer, and colonizer, led through this pass (named by him San Carlos) the first white explorers to cross the mountains into California. The party traveled from Tubac, Arizona, to Monterey, . . . — Map (db m143392) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 185 — Site of First House in Riverside CountySerrano Boulder
Built about 1824 by Leandro Serrano — Map (db m143406) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 9 — Trujillo Adobe
Within the building on this site stand the remaining walls of the Trujillo Adobe. The adobe was the center of La Placita de Los Trujillos, a village founded here in the 1860s. Many generations of the Trujillo family lived in the adobe. La Placita . . . — Map (db m143382) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 991 — California State Indian Museum
This museum dedicated to LOYALTY – COOPERATION – PROGRESS And to the Ideals of AMERICAN DEMOCRACY — Map (db m143488) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 595 — Eagle Theatre
Eagle Theatre Est. 1849. This replica is on the site of the original Eagle Theatre. Built in 1849, it was the first structure in California constructed specifically as a theatre. The Theatre was a canvas covered timber structure with a false . . . — Map (db m143478) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — 592 — New Helvetia Cemetery
Established by John Sutter in 1849. Purchased in 1857 by J.W. Reeves, who later deeded it to the City of Sacramento. 1009 Chinese buried here were shipped to China by the Chinese Societies who deeded their plots to the city. — Map (db m143479) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 43 — Mill Creek ZanjaState Historic Landmark No. 43
Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan Fathers engineered, and Native Americans dug, this first ditch, or "zanja", in 1819. It supported the San . . . — Map (db m143344) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 63 — First Raising of U.S. Flag
On this site the United States Flag was first raised in Southern California by Lt. Stephen C. Rowan U.S.N., Commanding Sailors and Marines July 29, 1846. — Map (db m143489) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 500 — Andrew Smith HallidieSite of Eastern Terminus First Street Cars in the World Propelled by Cable
Commenced operation August 1, 1873. Ceased February 15, 1947. Invented and installed by Andrew S. Hallidie, born London, England March 16, 1836. Died San Francisco, April 24, 1900. Pioneer manufacturer of wire cables, Regent University of . . . — Map (db m143432) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 86 — California Theatre
On this site January 18, 1869 The California Theatre Built by William C. Ralston Opened with the following stock company John McCullough • Lawrence Barrett • Harry Edwards • Willie Edouin • E.B. Holmes • William Mestayer • John T. . . . — Map (db m143433) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 81 — Commander John B. Montgomery's Landing Site
On July 9, 1846, in the early morning, in “the days when water came up to Montgomery Street,” Commander John B. Montgomery – for whom Montgomery Street was named – landed near this spot from the U.S. Sloop-of-War . . . — Map (db m143434) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 760 — Former Site of Laurel Hill Cemetery1854 – 1946
The builders of the West, civic and military leaders, jurists, inventors, artists, and eleven United States Senators were buried here – the most revered of San Francisco’s Hills — Map (db m143435) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 90 — Fort Gunnybags
Fort Gunnybags was situated on this spot Headquarters of the Vigilance Committee during the year 1856 — Map (db m143436) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 819 — Hudson's Bay Company
On this block, then on Yerba Buena's waterfront, stood the California headquarters of the Hudson's Bay Company. In 1841, their chief trader, William G. Rae, purchased the property and started operations. This venture caused wide speculation about . . . — Map (db m143484) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 1024 — Juana Briones y Tapia de Miranda1802 – 1889 — North Beach Pioneer —
Juana Briones, born in Hispanic California, was a preeminent woman of her time. In the 1830s and 1840s she transformed an isolated cove in the then Mexican hamlet of Yerba Buena into her rancho. At the site of this park she raised cattle and grew . . . — Map (db m143437) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 119 — Portsmouth PlazaAn Historic Shrine
Named for U.S.S. Portsmouth commanded by Capt. John B. Montgomery, after whom Montgomery Street was named. It was here on the plaza that Capt. Montgomery first raised the American flag near the Mexican adobe custom house on July 9, 1846. This plaza . . . — Map (db m143438) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 192 — Site of the Jenny Lind Theatre and San Francisco City Hall
The third Jenny Lind Theatre was opened by Tom Maquire on October 4, 1851 on the same site as the two preceding it, which were destroyed in the fires of 1851. In 1852 the City of San Francisco purchased this theatre for use as the City Hall. — Map (db m143439) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 754 — Site of the Mark Hopkins Institute of Art
In February 1893, Mr. Edward F. Searles donated the Hopkins Mansion to the University of California in trust for the San Francisco Art Institute for the “instruction in and illustration of the fine arts, music and literature,” and as . . . — Map (db m143440) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 91 — Telegraph Hill
During Gold Rush days a look-out stationed in a structure on this spot observed and signalled (sic) the arrival of incoming vessels. By adjusting movable arms high on a tall pole and by hoisting national colors, he identified the nature of the ship . . . — Map (db m143441) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 840 — The Conservatory
California’s first municipal greenhouse was completed in 1879. It was patterned after the Conservatory, Kew Gardens, England. A distinguished example of late Victorian style using early techniques of mass production and assembly of simple glass . . . — Map (db m143442) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 80 — The Montgomery Block
This, San Francisco’s first fireproof building erected in 1853 by Henry Wager Helleck, was the headquarters for many outstanding lawyers, financiers, writers, actors and artists. James King of William, editor of the Bulletin, died here after . . . — Map (db m143443) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 987 — Treasure Island
This artificial island was constructed of bay sand in 1936-7 and was the site of Golden Gate International Exposition, Feb. 18, 1939 – Sept. 29, 1940. Tall towers, gigantic goddesses and dazzling lighting effects turned the island into a . . . — Map (db m143444) HM
California (San Francisco County), San Francisco — Native Daughters of the Golden West Home
The Order of the Native Daughters of the Golden West was founded on September 25, 1886. In 1899, a Home was established providing our members with "...rest, serenity and an abiding place of affection..."

This structure is our fourth Home in . . . — Map (db m143240) HM

California (San Joaquin County), Lathrop — 437 — The Comet – 1846 – First Sail Launch
First known sail launch to ascend San Joaquin River from San Francisco landed here autumn 1846. Carried 20 Mormon pioneers who founded New Hope agricultural project on the Stanislaus. Yoke of oxen and span of mules driven from Marsh’s Landing . . . — Map (db m143445) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lockeford — 365 — Pioneer Hill / Lockeford
Pioneer Hill It was on this hill that Dr. Dean Jewett Locke and his brother Elmer H. Locke built the first cabin of this section in 1851. Disturbed by grizzly bears, they spent their first nights in the oak trees. Dr. Locke, physician for the . . . — Map (db m143490) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — 931 — Lodi Arch
Designed by architect E.B. Brown and built in 1907 for the Lodi Tokay Carnival, the Arch served as an entrance into Lodi and a symbol of agricultural and commercial growth. Essentially unaltered since construction, the structure is one of few . . . — Map (db m143446) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Ripon — 436 — New Hope – 1846First Wheat
Approximately six miles west, 20 Mormon pioneers from ship Brooklyn founded first known agricultural colony in San Joaquin Valley. Planting first wheat; also crops they irrigated by the pole and bucket method. Erected three log houses, operated . . . — Map (db m143447) HM
California (San Mateo County), Burlingame — 48 — Anza Expedition Camp
The Anza Expedition of 1776, on its way up the Peninsula to locate sites for the Presidio and the Mission of San Francisco, camped here on March 26 at a dry watercourse a short league beyond Arroyo de San Mateo. Location: El Camino Real and . . . — Map (db m143448) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Goleta — 3 — Japanese Attack
On February 23, 1942, at 7:00 PM, during one of President Roosevelt's Fireside Chats, the Japanese submarine I-17 shelled this Richfield Oil Field site with 25 5-inch rounds. Not since the War of 1812 had the U.S. mainland been attacked by a . . . — Map (db m143317) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Solvang — 305 — Mission Santa Inéz
Has been designated a NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK This religious complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Mission Santa Ines, founded in 1804, is one of the finest examples . . . — Map (db m143491) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — 434 — Pellier ParkSite of Historic City Gardens Nursery
[This markers in composed of three photographs with captions. Reading from left to right:] San Jose City Gardens Nursery People traveled far and wide to visit Louis Pellier’s City Gardens Nursery and purchase orchard and vineyard . . . — Map (db m143468) HM
California (Shasta County), Anderson — 379 — Fort Reading.
Located 80 rods north. Established May 26, 1852 by Co, E 2nd Infantry U.S.A. Evacuated June 1867. Marked by U.S. Army April 6, 1934. Sponsored by Shasta Historical Society. — Map (db m143472) HM
California (Shasta County), Fall River Mills — 355 — Fort Crook
In Commemoration of Fort Crook Established July 1, 1857 by Lieut' George Crook and Command for the protection of the immigrants and settlers. Later occupied by Capt John W Gardner and Capt McGregor. The boundaries of this fort were . . . — Map (db m143473) HM
California (Shasta County), Redding — 78 — Clear Creek
. . . — Map (db m143492) HM
California (Sierra County), Alleghany — 421 — Henness Pass RoadPioneer Emigrant Trail
The main emigrant trail leading from Virginia City to Marysville, California. Traveled by the pioneers as early as 1849. — Map (db m143469) HM
California (Tulare County), Lindsay — 471 — Butterfield Overland Mail Route
This route, following an earlier emigrant trail, was laid out in the 1850’s as part of the Stockton-Los Angeles Road. It was used by the Butterfield Overland Mail stages between St. Louis and San Francisco from 1858 to 1861. This was the first . . . — Map (db m143279) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — Simi Adobe
The Simi Adobe was headquarters for the Spanish Colonial Land Grant named San Jose de Nuestra Senora de Altagracia y Simi. Santiago Pico was the original grantee in 1795, followed by three of his sons, Francisco Javier, Miguel and Patricio, to whom . . . — Map (db m143273) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 112 — The Janss House
This house was built in 1931 by Dr. Edwin Janss, Sr. from designs by his wife Florence Janss. It was the weekend retreat of the Janss family, the base of their Conejo Valley ranch, founded in 1910, and the family home of Edwin Janss, Jr. . . . — Map (db m143287) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 44 — Dudley House
The family home of pioneer lima bean and walnut rancher Benjamin Dudley was designed by locally prominent carpenter architect, Selwyn Shaw in 1891. It is one of the few surviving farm Victorian houses in Ventura. The original floor plan included . . . — Map (db m143274) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 28 — San Buenaventura Mission Aqueduct
A visible section of the mission aqueduct still exists just east of Highway 33 on Cañada Larga Road. It is one of the few remaining parts of a seven-mile-long system that delivered water from San Antonio Creek to El Caballo filtration plant on the . . . — Map (db m143278) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 11 — Santa Gertrudis AsistenciaChapel
Santa Gertrudis Asistencia (chapel) was originally located about 500 feet north. Its location is now covered by the freeway. This chapel served the Indians in the early days. Marked 1970. Replaced 1986. — Map (db m143330) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — John Saul
. . . — Map (db m143308) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shepherd Park — Marvin Caplan 1919 - 2000
This park is dedicated to the memory of Marvin Caplan, whose singular spirit defied bigotry and promoted neighborhoods open to all, regardless of race, religion, or culture. In both his personal and professional life, he used his organizational . . . — Map (db m143514) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Live Oaks: A Gathering Place
Welcome to the Reading Grove This space provides a place to meet, rest, read, and reflect. Live oaks have long harbored gatherings, from religious services and classes to community celebrations. Witness Trees Trees that were . . . — Map (db m143315) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Live Oaks: A Symbol of Strength
Building the Nation The use of live oaks played a critical role in helping the nation grow from a colony to what it became—the United States of America. Ships were an essential means of transportation for moving people and products, and . . . — Map (db m143312) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Live Oaks: Specimens of Global, Scholarly and Public Research
Early Conservation Efforts In the past, live oaks were so valuable to shipbuilding and U.S. national security that in the early 1800s Congress passed laws to prevent them from being harvested illegally. The U.S. government also purchased and . . . — Map (db m143310) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Sheltering Branches
The Life Oak Look up. The branches above you belong to the Southern live oak (Quercus virginiana), also known simply as the live oak. This tree gets its name because it's evergreen; unlike other oaks, it doesn't lose its leaves in . . . — Map (db m143309) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), U Street Corridor — Dedicated in Honor of Claven Wood
In the aftermath of the 1968 assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, following the burning and destruction, Claven Wood purchased and restored 1351 U Street. During the restoration, Mr. Wood made the decision to preserve a small portion of . . . — Map (db m143211) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Cocoa Beach — First Medical Practice Serving Cocoa BeachHistorical Site
Joseph C. Von Thron, M.D. opened the first medical practice on this site and building on October 15, 1955 serving Cocoa Beach. — Map (db m143327) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for liberty, human . . . — Map (db m142686) WM
Florida (Brevard County), Mims — Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s
The light of freedom still burns brightly in our world today because of the service and sacrifice of America’s men and women in uniform. Our Nation’s servicemen and women have fought the forces of tyranny and won victories for liberty, . . . — Map (db m142689) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Freedom is Not FreeJacksonville National Cemetery
Freedom Is Not Free Dedicated To Those Who Served — Map (db m143144) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville National Cemetery
: Jacksonville National Cemetery Dedicated to the memory of All the Patriotic Men and Women Who Answered Their Country’s Call to Service George W. Bush President of the United States James B. Peake . . . — Map (db m143138) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Marines and Navy FMF CorpsmenJacksonville National Cemetery
In Honor Of Marines and Navy FMF Corpsmen Uncommon Valor is still a common Virtue Semper Fidelis Jacksonville Semper Fidelis Society November 10, 2012 — Map (db m143147) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Navy SeabeesJacksonville National Cemetery
Navy Seabees With Willing Hearts and Skillful Hands, the Difficult We do at Once, The Impossible Takes a Bit Longer Seabees Can Do We Build We Fight Map (db m143148) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Pearl HarborJacksonville National Cemetery
. . . — Map (db m143150) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Sky SoldiersJacksonville National Cemetery
Sky Soldiers The Florida Chapter Dedicates This memorial To The Sky Soldiers Of The 173rd Airborne Brigade Who Served With Honor — Map (db m143151) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The CarillonJacksonville National Cemetery
AMVETS Of Nassau County Post 2007 And AMVETS National Service Foundation AMVETS Department Of Florida Service Foundation Dedicated This Carillon As A Living Memorial To America’s Veterans Who Served Their Country Honorably For . . . — Map (db m143142) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — The Ultimate SacrificeJacksonville National Cemetery
: In Honor Of Those Who Gave The Ultimate Sacrifice In Service To The United States Of America And The Families They Left Behind. The Sacrifice Will Not Be Forgotten. — Map (db m143140) WM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Treaty Live OakCamp Melton Historic Preserve
A legendary landmark in downtown Jacksonville, Florida, this majestic live oak tree is said to have sheltered settlers and natives during peace treaty talks. In the early 1900’s, an amusement park stood on the site, and today, it is the park . . . — Map (db m142991)
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Vietnam War MemorialJacksonville National Cemetery
In memory of all veterans that served during the Vietnam War 1961-1975 — Map (db m143542) WM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — The Ximenez-Fatio House
This two-story coquina house and detached kitchen was built for Spanish merchant Andres Ximenez ca. 1798 for use as a general store, tavern, and family residence. After Florida became a U.S. Territory in 1821, Margaret Cook bought the property in . . . — Map (db m143352) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-745 — The Ximenez-Fatio House
This two-story coquina house and detached kitchen was built for Spanish merchant Andres Ximenez ca. 1798 for use as a general store, tavern, and family residence. After Florida became a U.S. Territory in 1821, Margaret Cook bought the property in . . . — Map (db m143351) HM
Florida (Volushia County), Ormond Beach — F-824 — The Casements
: (side 1) Built in 1913 by Reverend Dr. Harwood Huntington, The Casements is named for its casement-style windows. Retired Standard Oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller, Sr. purchased it in 1918 as a winter residence, in hopes that it would . . . — Map (db m143307) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Holly Hill — Ross Point Park
A public park and picnic area dedicated to William Wallace Ross by resolution of City Council of Holly Hill, Florida, 1957-1958 William Ross pioneered here in the late 1860’s. On this point he built a log cabin home . . . — Map (db m143212) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ormond Beach — F-824 — The Casements
(side 1) Built in 1913 by Reverend Dr. Harwood Huntington, The Casements is named for its casement-style windows. Retired Standard Oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller, Sr. purchased it in 1918 as a winter residence, in hopes that it would . . . — Map (db m143306) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Dalton — Dalton Confederate MemorialDalton - Chickamauga - Rocky Face - Resaca
Erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Whitfield County, to the memory of our Confederate Dead. 1892. — Map (db m143516) WM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — U.S.S. Arizona
At 0755, 7 December 1941, near this spot at Berth Fox 7 The USS Arizona was hit by one torpedo and approximately seven bombs. One bomb went down the stack and another penetrated the black powder magazines. The sunken ship remains the tomb . . . — Map (db m143290) HM WM
Illinois (Macoupin County), Bunker Hill — Bunker Hill Indian Trail
During the historical period, the earliest inhabitants of the present-day community of Bunker Hill were the Peoria, Kickapoo, and Winnebago Indians who established an encampment near North Washington and West Morgan Streets. Another Native American . . . — Map (db m143178) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — EdwardsvilleHome of Five Illinois Governors
Edward Coles 1822-1826 Ninian Edwards 1826-1830 John Reynolds 1830-1834 Thomas Ford 1842-1846 Charles S. Deneen 1905-1913 — Map (db m143186) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — Governor Coles and Slavery
Site of the courthouse where, in 1824, political enemies convicted Governor Edward Coles of illegally freeing his slaves. "To preserve to a continuous line of generations that liberty obtained by the valor of our forefathers, we must make . . . — Map (db m143182) HM
Illinois (Madison County), Edwardsville — LeClaire, Illinois
Social visionary N.O. Nelson founded the village of LeClaire in 1890, naming it after Edme Jean LeClaire, who inaugurated profit sharing in France. In contrast to unsanitary urban tenement districts, LeClaire was a model cooperative village offering . . . — Map (db m143190) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Columbia — American Freedom Fighter and Palestinian GirlIraqi, Syrian and Jordanian Border Christmas Day — 2005 —
Mauricio Alvarez, Sculptor This place of rest is dedicated to the veterans of this community, as well as the rest of America, well-trained and fierce warriors, but also gentle and kind liberators and protectors of children, women and men, and . . . — Map (db m143461) WM
Illinois (Monroe County), Columbia — Palmier Cemetry
Revolutionary War War of 1812 • Civil War • WW I • WW II Laid out in the late 1700s on acreage donated by the Ogles,its elevated grounds afford a view of lands settled by the pioneers—the Piggotts, Ogles, Biggs, Wilson and others. It was . . . — Map (db m143369) HM WM
Illinois (Monroe County), Maeystown — St. John's First Church
The oldest know log structure in Illinois on it's original site in continuous use for religious purpose since 1859. First worship service of St.John's congregation held here 1859-67. — Map (db m143416) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Maeystown — The Village of Maeystown, Ill.
The Village of Maeystown, Ill. founded in 1852 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 23,1978 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m143464) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Prairie du Rocher — Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish War Memorial
In memory of those members of our Lady Of Good Counsel Parish who gave their lives that we might worship in freedom
Peter Eich Feb. 6, 1892 - Oct.9,1918 France Cletus Walster Apr. 29,1909 - July 9, 1943 N. . . . — Map (db m143367) WM
Illinois (Monroe County), Valmeyer — Eagle Cliff / Miles Cemetery
Eagle Cliff Graveyard was established as a public graveyard on land donated by Truman Miles. The first person to be buried in Eagle Cliff Graveyard was Rachel Bond, wife of Judge Shardrach Bond, Sr. on March 17, 1806. The vault was built . . . — Map (db m143513) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — James Moore Cabin
Captin James Moore was an officer of the Virginia Militia during the American Revolution. Under the command of Colonel George Rogers Clark, he took part in an expedition to Illinois in 1778. Captain Moore led his group by boat to Kaskaskia in 1782 . . . — Map (db m143246) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Peterstown and the Merchant Prince
The north end of Waterloo was originally called Peter's Town, for Emery Peter Rogers, 1795-1859. Coming from Massachusetts in 1816, he started with 5 acres here on the west side of the Kaskaskia Trail, where he operated a grist mill, woolen mill, . . . — Map (db m143475) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Bellefontaine Bridge
This stone arch bridge dates back to 1877 when it was built by Charles Liebheit and Christian Hartmann. It extends over a tributary of Fountain Creek, called Moore's Run (named after James Moore, one of the founders of Waterloo). This bridge is . . . — Map (db m143476) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Bison
This statue pays homage to the buffalo, or bison which roamed the uplands of Monroe County thousands of years ago, trampling down prairie grasses, creating what became the Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trial. The trail was also used by Native Americans and . . . — Map (db m143250) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — The Braun Property212 South Main — Waterloo, Monroe Co. Ill., Laid Out in 1818 —
This historic building, known officially as Tax Lot 2 in Block 8 of Waterloo, dates back to the year 1845 and has served many purposes throughout the years. Unfortunately, we have no record of what it was used for in its earliest years, other . . . — Map (db m143251) HM
Illinois (Monroe County), Waterloo — Veterans Memorial for All Wars
From the people of Monroe County Illinois In honor of those who perished In tribute to those who served In gratitude to those now serving — Map (db m143503) WM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Belleville Savings Bank
When the doors opened at Belleville Savings Bank's new building on October 15, 1913, the bank was the oldest and largest in Belleville. It had been chartered in 1859. German immigrant Edward Abend, who came with the first group of "Latin Farmers" . . . — Map (db m143316) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Dorothea Deichmann Millinery
When Dorothea Deichmann had this building constructed in 1892, it was still unusual for a woman to own property in her own name, erect buildings, and conduct her own business, but Deichmann was ahead of her time. She sold hats at this location from . . . — Map (db m143390) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Ever and Anon Park
The park is on the site of Hanover House, built in 1862, and later named Hotel Tiemann. The three-story hotel was demolished in 1998. Ever and Anon Park was developed by the Belleville Heritage Society. Old Belleville Historic District, one . . . — Map (db m143389) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Historic Garfield Street Saloon
Adam Gintz, the president of Belleville's Western Brewery, built a saloon on the corner of Garfield and Mascoutah in 1896. Successor businesses would continue to provide alcoholic beverages here for more than a hundred years. The earliest . . . — Map (db m143311) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — Romeiser Building
Peter M. Romeiser, a German immigrant and Civil War veteran, opened a small clothing store for men in 1878 that grew into a mercantile empire extending from this building to South Jackson Street in 1906. His innovative pricing policy in the retail . . . — Map (db m143387) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Belleville — St. Clair National Bank
St. Clair National Bank began business in a former saloon at this location in 1919. The bank flourished and hired the local architectural firm of Frank Riester and Otto Rubach to design a new building that would convey a sense of the bank's . . . — Map (db m143314) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Freeburg — The Mississippi Bubble
"They related that there are mines of gold and silver.... There is reason to believe that the French who will settle among the Illinois Indians will make all these rich discoveries when the colony becomes more thickly populated." Thus, John Law, . . . — Map (db m143282) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Hecker — Winstanley SettlementPrairie Du Long, Illinois
Around 1816 pioneer families from Lancashire England established a Catholic English settlement near the banks of the Prairie Du Long Creek, and named it after their leader Thomas Winstanley, Irish and German immigrants arrived later in 1824 a log . . . — Map (db m143511) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Lebanon — Mermaid House HotelBuilt 1830 by Retired Sea Captain Lyman Adams
Visited by Charles Dickens in 1842 - mentioned in his book American NotesMap (db m143286) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Lebanon — The Deneen Family
On this site stood the home of the Deneen family long associated with the history of McKendree College -- Rev. William L. Deneen; Professor Samuel H. Deneen; and Charles S. Deneen, Governor of Illinois, 1905-1913, and US Senator, 1925-1931. They . . . — Map (db m143284) HM
Illinois (St. Clair County), Mascoutah — U.S. Center of Population 1970-1980
On May 16, 1971 Secretary of Commerce Maurice H. Stans dedicated this standard marking the center of population of the United States. The 1970 decennial census established this center at latitude 38 degrees 27 minutes 47 seconds north and . . . — Map (db m143349) HM

371 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 171
Paid Advertisement